Speaker 1: I have to admit, when I first think about computer security, my brain is definitely still stuck in the movies. You know the exact scene.
Speaker 2: I mean, a guy in a dark room wearing a hoodie.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, the hoodie, and there's green tech scrolling impossibly fast across the monitors, and he's furiously typing to beat some giant red progress bar.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's always over in thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: It's high stakes, it's traumatic. But after going through our sources for this deep dive into computer security principles and practice, the reality feels weirdly different.
Speaker 2: It is entirely different. In the real world. The biggest threat to your data often isn't some master criminal typing at light speed. Yeah, Sometimes it's literally just the humidity level in your server.
Speaker 1: Room, or as we found out, something is boring as a semiquon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a well placed semicolon can bring down an empire exactly.
Speaker 1: So today we are doing a comprehensive walkthrough of the invisible war happening inside our machines. Our primary source is Stallings and Browns, fifth edition, and the mission today is to peel back all the layers of security.
Speaker 2: From the math of encryption all the way to the physical temperature where a hard drive just melts into slag.
Speaker 1: But before we get into the melting metal, we need to set the stage because the reading makes this huge distinction right off the bat, which is that security isn't a product, right.
Speaker 2: You can't just go to the store and say I'll take one security please. It is a process. It's a constant balancing act.
Speaker 1: And they call it the CIA triad, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Confidentiality, integrity, and availability. You are constantly trying to keep data secret, keep it accurate, and make sure people can actually get to it when they need it. It's a tug of war.
Speaker 1: And usually for you listening, the first geek keeper for that confidentiality piece is your password. Now, I consider myself a relatively smart person, but I read this study in the notes about one hundred and thirty permutations, and I realized I have been doing it wrong for my entire life, you.
Speaker 2: And everyone else. Honestly, that study is a classic because it exposes just how predictable human beings are. Attackers know, you aren't going to pick a random string of characters.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm going to pick my name, or my kid's name, or my company's name. And then I'll add a number at the end or capitalize the first letter and think, Wow, I am a security genius.
Speaker 2: And that right there is what the one hundred and thirty permutations are. Attackers take your name and they run it through a script that automatically tries the wonder and thirty most common.
Speaker 1: Variations backwards, all caps toggled, case appended dates.
Speaker 2: Yep, they aren't guessing. They are running a highly efficient checklist.
Speaker 1: So if I think I'm being clever by writing the word password backwards, the computer has already guessed that in a millisecond.
Speaker 2: Before you even take your finger off the enerkey. But it actually gets much more difficult for you. When we talk about rainbow tables. This is where the attackers stop guessing and start doing math, or rather they stop doing math.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, walk me through this, because the phrase trading space for time kept coming up in the reading, and I want to make sure we get this right.
Speaker 2: Sure, So when a system it saves your password, it doesn't just save the word apple. It runs Apple through a mathematical formula called a hash function and saves a scrambled string of nonsense characters.
Speaker 1: Right, so when you log in, it scrambles your input and compares the two strings to see if they match exactly.
Speaker 2: So normally the hacker has to guess the word, scramble it and see if it matches. That takes processing power, that takes time.
Speaker 1: But with a rainbow table, they cheat.
Speaker 2: Majorly cheat. They pre calculate the scrambled strings for millions and millions of possible passwords before they ever attack you. They store those results in a massive table, and that is the space part of the equation I see.
Speaker 1: So when they steal the password file, they aren't actually trying to crack it at all. They were just looking it up in a dictionary they already wrote.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they traded the time it takes to do the math for the storage space on their hard drive. One source mentioned a table that was one point four gigabytes, which isn't even that big, not by modern standards. No, but that one point four gigs contained enough pre computed hashes to crack ninety nine point nine percent of standard alphin Americ Windows passwords in seconds.
Speaker 1: That really puts relying on a password like one, two, three, four, five six into terrifying perspective. So, since the machines are clearly smarter and faster than us. What is the actual actionable defense here? The source was pretty specific about passphrases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, length is the key. The math gets exponentially harder the longer the password is. The recommendation is to take a sentence that actually means something to you and just use the first letter of each word.
Speaker 1: The example in the text was my dog's first name is Rex.
Speaker 2: Right, so you just type mdfni hika to a computer that looks like total gibberish. It doesn't appear in a dictionary, it definitely doesn't appear in a rainbow table.
Speaker 1: But for you, it's literally just a sentence about your dog. You don't have to memorize a random string exactly.
Speaker 2: It's simple but highly effective. But even the best password is still just what you know, and if you know it, someone can beat it out of you or spearfish it out of you, which is why we're seeing this massive shift in the industry toward what you have.
Speaker 1: The physical token. But the authors are very careful here because not all tokens are created equal. We see smart cards everywhere, but a lot of them are actually quite dumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mean, like the key card you get for a hotel room.
Speaker 1: Exactly. It's not just a smart card.
Speaker 2: It's usually just a memory card. It has a magnetic stripe or a very simple chip that literally just holds a number. If I have a basic card reader, which I can buy online for twenty bucks, I can read that number and then just copy it. I can clone your key in seconds.
Speaker 1: So it's basically a post it note with a password written on it that you happen to carry in your wallet.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. The real security comes from cards that have an actual microprocessor built in. It has a CPU RAM and an operating system right there on the plastic.
Speaker 1: The German EID card was the example they used, right, the Neuer Personal Loss spice.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is a great example of this done right. It's active, not passive.
Speaker 1: How does that differ from the hotel key?
Speaker 2: Practically speaking, it has a card access number or can printed right on the front. If a hacker walks past you in a cafe with the scanner hidden in their pocket, they can't just skim your data wirelessly.
Speaker 1: Because the card stops them.
Speaker 2: The card literally refuses to talk to the reader unless that physical six digit number is entered first to authorize the handshake. It validates the reader before it gives up a single bite to data. It also uses a machine readable zone for even higher security tasks.
Speaker 1: That is a huge structural difference. So let's take it one step further. Because we've done what you know and what you have. The final frontier, according to the text, is what you are biometrics. Yeah, and the scale of the UA project mentioned in the notes is just massive.
Speaker 2: It's one of the most comprehensive biometric systems in the world. Right now, they are scanning irises at seventeen different AirLand and seaports.
Speaker 1: And we should clarify this isn't a retinal scan and it's not fingerprints. This is the surface of the eye.
Speaker 2: It's the texture of the iris. They use a near infrared camera, which is totally safe. It's just like the light from a TV remote to capture the incredibly complex pattern your iris.
Speaker 1: But here's the cool part. They don't just save a picture of your eye. They convert that texture into a phase code.
Speaker 2: Think of the phase code like a digital fingerprint or a hash, but for your physical anatomy. It turns the chaotic organic patterns of your eye into a clean, searchable string of binary code. Similar to a DNA.
Speaker 1: Sequence, and that allows them to match a traveler against a massive central database in real time, which you just couldn't do if you were trying to compare high res JPEG images of eyeballs.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It makes the exhaustive search practically instant.
Speaker 1: So that's the defense side. We lock the doors with math and smart cards and eyeballs. But let's pivot to the offense, because when things go wrong in cybersecurity, they happen fast, and looking at the history of malware in this book, the scariest thing isn't even the complexity of the code, it's the acceleration.
Speaker 2: It really is a story of terrifying speed. If you go back to the Brain virus in the nineteen eighties, it spread via floppy.
Speaker 1: Disks, literally moving at the speed of a human walking.
Speaker 2: Right, walking a disc from one physical computer to another. It took months to infect a few thousand machines.
Speaker 1: Artisanal small batch malware.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, small batch.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then you compare that to the Melissa virus in nineteen ninety nine email. Suddenly you aren't walking, you are driving on the highway. Melissa hit one hundred thousand computers in just three days.
Speaker 1: Which felt completely catastrophic at the time. I remember the news coverage.
Speaker 2: It was a huge deal. But fast forward just five years to My Doom in two thousand and four. My Doom didn't just infect computers, It flooded the entire Internet with one hundred million infected messages in thirty.
Speaker 1: Six hours, from months to day's to hours, and.
Speaker 2: Today it's milliseconds. And the tactics have evolved too. It's not just about writing a clever virus anymore. It's about the supply chain.
Speaker 1: The excode ghost attack from twenty fifteen that blew my mind.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant in an evil way. The attackers didn't target the users directly. They targeted the developers. They created a compromised version of Apple's xcode, which is the tool developers used to build iosps.
Speaker 1: So the developers unwittingly bake the malware right into their legitimate apps.
Speaker 2: Exactly millions of users downloaded totally normal apps that were secretly infected at the factory.
Speaker 1: And then there's the social engineering side of it. The book mentioned that fake Twitter weight loss campaign.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a perfect example of modern tactics.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even about hacking passwords. It was thousands of fake bot accounts all talking to each other, reinforcing each other's messages to build credibility so human users would trust the malicious links.
Speaker 2: It's hacking human psychology instead of code. But going back to the sheer volume of traffic, the goal of attack has changed a lot too. My doom was about spreading. Now a lot of tacks are purely about exhaustion Denial of service.
Speaker 1: Right DOS attacks. I wanted to ask about this actually because the syn cookie defense mechanism mentioned in the notes is honestly brilliant, But I need you to explain it because the technical jargon got pretty thick there.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay. Imagine a web server is like a receptionist at a very busy office. When you want to connect that as a YAN request, the receptionist opens a physical file folder, writes down your name, and waits for you.
Speaker 1: To reply, and that folder takes up space on the desk, which is server memory.
Speaker 2: Right, So a denial service attack works by sending a million faith people to the desk all at once. The receptionist opens a million folders, runs out of desk space, and the whole office just crashes. Valid users can't get in.
Speaker 1: So how does the s Y and cookie actually fix that?
Speaker 2: The receptionist just stops opening folders entirely. When you show up, they write the connection details, the secret handshake, essentially a little sticker to take it on your jacket and send you away. They just say come back with this sticker.
Speaker 1: So the server doesn't remember anything at all.
Speaker 2: Zero, It is completely stateless. If you're a real user, you come back with a sticker, which is the cookie. The server reads, it verifies the secret handshake, and then lets you in.
Speaker 1: And if you're a fake bought from a doss attack, you.
Speaker 2: Never come back and the server hasn't wasted a single bite of memory trying to remember you.
Speaker 1: That is incredibly smart. It puts the entire burden of memory back on the user exactly.
Speaker 2: It's just really robust engineering.
Speaker 1: Speaking of engineering, or I guess broken engineering, we really have to look under the hood. We talk about software vulnerabilities all the time, but I think most people visualize like a loose wire or a physical crack, but it's actually usually a confusion of language.
Speaker 2: It's a confusion between data and instructions. The buffer overflow is the absolute classic example of this.
Speaker 1: This was my favorite deep tech moment in the reading the pint glass analogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, imagine a program has a designated space in memory, a pint glass to hold your input. Let's say it's asking for your user name. Okay, but the programmer used an older traditional C library function like gets, and gets doesn't actually check if the input fits the glass. So if you pour a gallon of water into that pint glass, it spills, right.
Speaker 1: The water has to go somewhere, so it spills over into the neighbor's yard.
Speaker 2: It spills into the adjacent memory addresses. And this is the critical part. The memory right next to your data often holds something called the return.
Speaker 1: Address, which tells the computer where to go next when it finishes the current task.
Speaker 2: Precisely, so, the attacker deliberately spills their malicious data over the edge, specifically to overwrite that return address. They replace the instruction go back to the main program with go to this malicious code I just injected into.
Speaker 1: The spell, and the computer just does it. It doesn't know the difference.
Speaker 2: The computer just blindly follows instructions. It doesn't know that the instruction came from a spell. And this isn't just theory. This exact vulnerability was what powered the famous Morris Internet warm way back in nineteen eighty eight, and we are still dealing with it today.
Speaker 1: Because it's the exact same logic with.
Speaker 2: SQL injection right, very similar.
Speaker 1: Yes, the example in the book was the Boston semi colon drop t table.
Speaker 2: Right. So you have a database script expecting a city name. If I tie Boston, it finds Boston. But if I tie Boston followed by a semicolon and then the words d dropped table order stable high hyphen.
Speaker 1: To the database. A semi colon is basically a period at the end of a sentence.
Speaker 2: Exactly the database is the semi coolon thinks, okay, the first command to find the city is finished. Then it reads the next part. It thinks, oh, a new command from the boss. I need to delete the entire order's table.
Speaker 1: It's so carefully literal, it's like a gollum. It does exactly what you say, even if you say destroy yourself.
Speaker 2: That is exactly why sanitize your inputs is the golden rule of secure coding. You can never ever trust what the user types into a box.
Speaker 1: But sometimes the problem isn't actually the code itself. Sometimes it's the logic of the access system. We touched on the difference between RBAC and ABAC in the notes, role based versus attribute based access control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, RBAC is the traditional old school way. It says you have the role of manager. Therefore you can see all the manager files, like being classified as an adult so you can see R rated movies.
Speaker 1: It's static, simple, but very rigid.
Speaker 2: Well. ABAC is much more fluid and flexible. It looks at specific attributes. It asks who is the subject, what is the object, and.
Speaker 1: What is the environment the context?
Speaker 2: Right, you might be a manager, but ABAC says you cannot access the highly sensitive payroll file from an insecure public Wi Fi network at two am in a foreign country.
Speaker 1: It adds nuance, but even with perfectly designed access control, you still run into the inference problem. The cargo plane scenario in the textbook was hands down my favorite puzzle in the whole Deep Dick.
Speaker 2: It's a fantastic logic problem. It perfectly illustrates how incredibly hard it is to actually keep a secret in a database.
Speaker 1: So, for you listening, the scenario goes like this, you have a cargo plane flight twelve fifty four I am a low level employee looking at the database, I can see that the plane is carrying two shipments. I can see a crate of boots and a crate of guns, both of.
Speaker 2: Which are classified as unclassified items, so you are allowed to see them.
Speaker 1: But I am definitely not allowed to know about the third crate, which contains an atomic bond.
Speaker 2: Right that is top secret. So the database successfully hides that speci row from your view. The system is working perfectly.
Speaker 1: But then I query the database and I ask what is the total overall weight of flight twelve fifty four, And the database tells me the total weight is fifty thousand pounds.
Speaker 2: And that right there is the leak. Because you can look at the boots and the guns and calculate that together they only weigh ten thousand pounds.
Speaker 1: So I just do some very basic math fifty thousand minus ten thousand. I now know for a fact that there is forty thousand pounds of something on that plane that I am not allowed to see. I have inferred the existence of a massive secret payload just by looking at the gaps in the public data.
Speaker 2: And the authors highlight this as a major persistent challenge keeping secrets when the mere absence of data gives the secret away is a nightmare. You either have to lie to the user about the total weight, which completely ruins the integrity of your.
Speaker 1: Data, or you have to hide the existence of the entire flight, which ruins availability.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's a structural paradox.
Speaker 1: So we've covered the math, the code, and the logic, but we really can't finish this deep dive without talking about the physical world, because at the end of the day, the cloud is just someone else's computer, and that computer is made of metal and plastic and metal melts.
Speaker 2: It really does. We spend so much time obsessing over software we often ignore physical threats. But fire and water are just as dangerous as hackers. The temperature thresholds listed in the book are sobering.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just a generic fire as bad warning either. It was incredibly specific.
Speaker 2: Very specific. At two hundred and sixty degrees celsius, which is about five hundred fahrenheit, wood ignites, but your server data might actually survive that ambient temperature for a little bit. The real danger zone starts at four hundred and eighty degrees celsius.
Speaker 1: That's where the uninsulated steel files start to buckle.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, the steel warps, and if the case warps, the hard drives inside are physically crushed. Game over. And if the fire gets hotter, aluminum melts at sixteen hundred and twenty five celsius. Hard steel melts at fourteen ten.
Speaker 1: So you obviously need rigorous fire suppression. But then you have the threat I mentioned in the intro humidity.
Speaker 2: The silent killer of data centers. If the humidity is too high, you obviously get corrosion, but you also get this incredibly creepy phenomenon called silver migration.
Speaker 1: Which sounds like a beautiful bird migration, but it is definitely not.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. Under high humidity conditions, the actual silver in the solder of the circuit boards can literally migrate across the surface of the board. It moves, yes, it grows these tiny metallic tendrils that reach out and physically touch other connectors.
Speaker 1: So it basically grows its own short circuits.
Speaker 2: It does. It's like the motherboard is being slowly eaten from the inside out.
Speaker 1: Okay, so just keep the room super dry then, but you can't keep it too dry.
Speaker 2: If the relative humidity drops too low, you get static electricity, and human beings are essentially walking lightning bolts. You can generate thousands of volts of static charge just by walking across a carpeted floor.
Speaker 1: But the microchicks are sensitive, incredibly sensitive.
Speaker 2: It only takes a static discharge of ten volts to completely fry a modern sensitive circuit.
Speaker 1: Ten volts.
Speaker 2: Ten volts. You wouldn't even feel the spark, you wouldn't hear a pop. You would just reach out touch the server rack and thousands of dollars of equipment would die instantly.
Speaker 1: That is just such a fragile balance to maintain. We are fighting hackers, we are fighting humidity, static electricity, and basic physics. So how do network admins even sleep at night? What is the safety net when things inevitably go wrong?
Speaker 2: Well, the text points toward intrusion detection systems or IDs as the primary net and the core foundational concept.
Speaker 1: There is baselining, meaning the system has to know what normal actually looks like exactly.
Speaker 2: You can't spot an anomaly if you don't know the daily pattern. The system spends time learning, it learns okay. Usually we have fifty people requesting DHCP leases at nine am.
Speaker 1: So if suddenly five thousand people log in at three am on a Sunday.
Speaker 2: That triggers an alert. It's what they call an NBS, an event driven by never before seeing drivers. It's the digital equivalent of a guard dog barking because the wind changed around. It might be nothing, it might be a glitch, but you absolutely need to check it out.
Speaker 1: Because the legal and ethical frameworks around this are still so messy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. The book touches on the Convention on Cybercrime and how difficult it is internationally to even legally define things like computer related forgery and fraud across borders.
Speaker 1: It really feels like we're constantly just playing defense, trying to plug holes in a sinking ship. But I want to end on this final provocative thought that the reading inspired because it loops all the way back to the concept of trust.
Speaker 2: You're thinking about the supply chain risk again.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. We talked about the ex coode ghost attack earlier, the malware that was baked into the actual app building tools. The developers didn't write the malware, They just used a trusted tool provided by a trusted vendor, and that tool was secretly compromised.
Speaker 2: It forces us as an industry to ask a genuinely terrifying question. If the foundational tools we use to build our software are themselves compromised, can we ever truly trust the final product.
Speaker 1: It's like buying a heavy duty vault door, but the factory that forged the steel secretly kept a master key.
Speaker 2: Exactly For decades, the entire philosophy was protect a perimeter, build a giant firewall around your corporate castle, and trust everyone inside.
Speaker 1: But if the bricks you used to build the wall are bug from the factory, the perimeter.
Speaker 2: Is useless, Which is why the cutting edge of the industry is moving toward a philosophy called zero trust. You trust nothing, You verify everything continuously trust nothing.
Speaker 1: That is a slightly paranoid but probably very necessary place to leave things.
Speaker 2: For today in this business, paranoid is definitely a virtue.
Speaker 1: While on that happy note, thank you for guiding us through the minefield of the CIA.
Speaker 2: Triad today, always happy to do.
Speaker 1: It, and to you, the learner, thank you for joining us. Go check your password manager today. If your password is password one, two three or your own name, please, for the love of data integrity, change it immediately. Make it a random sentence about your dog.
Speaker 2: Just maybe don't use the name Rex. Now that we've broadcast that specific trick to the entire Internet.
Speaker 1: Fairpoint, pick a different dog. Thanks for listening to the Deep Dive, and we'll catch you next time.