Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI hand KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning, it's five o'clock straight up. This is your wake up call for Thursday, February sixth I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: I got good news this morning. Shamrock shapes are coming back.
Speaker 1: I just heard that I haven't had a shamrock shake for I don't know thirty years, but I think I'm gonna change that.
Speaker 5: It's a story with McRib Do we know as that's backs or no, it.
Speaker 4: Comes back like in the fall for a little while.
Speaker 3: Rip.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's there now. Limited time online. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. A second stronger storms expected to bring more rain to southern California by tonight, with three quarters to an inch of rain expected in the Palisades and Eaten fire burn areas. Orchesters say there's an increased chance of mud and debris flows. K Rails, sandbags, and water control socks have been installed to try to prevent damage if the land slides. President Trump assigned an executive order banning transgender athletes from women's sports. Trump said as he signed the order yesterday. From now on, women's sports will only be for women. The order also requires the immediate enforcement of the rules. Governor Newsom has had to sit down with the President in the Oval Office. They were scheduled to talk about disaster aid for wildfires and water issues for about a half hour, but they ended up talking for more than an hour and a half. Newsom said in a social media video it was a successful day. The White House hasn't weighed in on how it went yet. Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker was also in the Oval with President Trump yesterday. We're going to get the scoop on that coming up at five twenty. You know how people say, oh, people are so plastic, Well it turns out they're right. ABC's Jim Ryan says, actually, we are all a little bit plastic these days. Kind of scary. Pasadena Humane has reunited fourteen hundred pets with their people since the wildfire broke out in Altadena. Well, we're going to be talking with PR and communications manager Kevin McManus about donations, adoptions and some of our four legged burn victim friends. That's coming up as we go out and about at the bottom of the hour, so we hope you'll stick around. Always love talking to Kevin and the work they're doing at Pasadena Humane is absolutely amazing. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. EPA administrator Lee Zelden and other federal officials are set to join La Mayor Bass on a tour of the Pacific Palisades. They're expected to check on the progress of debris removal and recovery from the fire there last month. EPA officials said yesterday that more than a thousand people were working on the hazardous waste removal effort in the Palisades and Eaton Burn areas, but only about five percent of affected properties have been cleared so far. A man's been arrested in La for allegedly spray painting buildings during the latest immigration protests downtown, hundreds of people marched again yesterday near city Hall to protest President Trump's deportation policies. People say, or police say, some people got routy in the afternoon and started throwing bottles at officers. A dispersal order was given. Protesters left the area and continued to march down Broadway. Police say several demonstrators spray painted and vandalized property, including a UPS truck and a Waymo vehicle, and there's no driver in it to defend themselves. Hundreds of people have been arrested in San Diego County under California's new Proposition thirty six, which was approved by voters in November.
Speaker 6: Four hundred and twenty nine people who would not have been taken into custody for things like shoplifting and drug crimes in San Diego have now been arrested.
Speaker 2: We were hearing from our communities, from our retail establishments, that they really felt they were being victimized by shoplifts and other saft crimes.
Speaker 6: San Diego County Sheriff Kelly Martinez saying business groups can now report crimes as they happen.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: Suspects for battling addiction can also receive treatment. I'm chack Cronin.
Speaker 1: City leaders say some street vendors in LA have become problems.
Speaker 2: The city plans to improve its permitting process and its enforcement effort against street vendors operating without a license. Concilman John Lee says there needs to be more fairness because brick and mortar restaurants, for example, are held to a much higher standard.
Speaker 7: If their temperature is off one degree, they get knocked down.
Speaker 8: Why is it that we do not care about the health and welfare of the people who are visiting these places.
Speaker 2: The city's no vendings zones have been eliminated by a court ruling. Officials have said that's led to more vendors and more trash being left behind. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: More than three dozen beetles yep beetles have been seized by Border patrol at Lax. The bugs were hidden inside Japanese snacks and are valued at more than fourteen hundred dollars. Customs and Border Patrol offishals say the beatles may look harmless, but they could cause some serious trouble in local agriculture and force if they get loose. They eat plants, leaves and roots and lay eggs in tree bark. Offish will say they'll look for a place to donate the beatles, like a zoo. Now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, you know, people always say, oh, people are so plastic, but it turns out we kind of all are.
Speaker 9: I've never heard that people are like so plastic.
Speaker 4: Well it's you know, in La.
Speaker 9: Parts of us are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are livers, livers, bones, brains. Okay, tell us more.
Speaker 9: Talk to you tomorrow. No, the University of New Mexico has done the studies published this week in Nature Medicine, and it confirms what scientists have thought for some time that microplastics, the tiny, tiny, in some cases microscopic pieces of plastic out there in the environment are making their way into our bodies. Not just in our bodies, amy, but into our brain somehow, passing the blood brain barrier and getting into the brain. It's not a good thing. Why because well, they're also finding that it could be associated with illnesses dementia for example. This is all based on post mortem brain exams and the finding that these microplastics are much more concentrated in the brains of people who died with dementia. So yeah, it's concerning. I mean, it's a time for panic, no, but yeah, it's something to watch out for.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And so there, like I was curious as to what the plastic does because the plastics not a living thing, but it gets into those living organisms, and then what does it do. It like blocks the cells from talking to each other exactly right.
Speaker 9: It's not so much a poison the issue, although that's not a good thing, but it could impede the function of the brain, the actual synapses and the firing of the internal workings of your brain. So yeah, that's the big concern. There also could constrict blood flow and interfere with the neural connections that make you and me think.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I probably got a lot of plastic in my brain.
Speaker 9: Then get away from plastic water bottles.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was going to say, how is it getting into our systems?
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, if some of it comes from food, from meat, from animals that have been exposed to plastics, but also through some of the things that we do through plastic water bottles. A lot of this the plastics that have been found in people's brain are the kind that are a part of the plastic water bottles. So if you use a glass water bottle instead or a metal one, some people hate that. I don't like drinking out of a metal thing. But moving away from plastics is a good way to try to limit your exposure, you know, the single use water bottles, take out plastic containers. I mean, if you have takeout once a month or something and you use the plastic container and the plastic silverware, fine, But if you do this more than a few times a month, yeah, might consider dumping it onto a plate and using your own silverware at home instead of the plastic stuff, because those are all sources of potential sources at least of this kind of plastic contamination.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm sitting here with the plastic fork right now.
Speaker 1: So and does it include things like tupperware containers and baggies and everything?
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, yes, looking down the list of advice from specialists in this kind of thing instead of putting you know, your frozen meals.
Speaker 1: Oh we lost you for a second. Sorry, Now that's okay. So you said frozen food and then we lost it.
Speaker 9: Frozen food or those steam in the bag vegetables or rice.
Speaker 1: I always think, you know what, I never steam the vegetables in the bag because I'm like, that's like cooking the plastic into the food.
Speaker 9: Aha. There you go, You're on the right track. Okay, you're plastic cutting board, you know, it starts getting worn out and chipping off and flaking. Good with a wooden one instead, you know, that's another way to kind of cut into that plastic cookware. You know, you protect your nonstick surface by using plastic utensils. Yeah, you might want to go with wood there too.
Speaker 1: Silicon considered plastic they use like the silicone. It's not so that's a better way to go, it is.
Speaker 9: That's a good alternative. You know, if you put if you heat things there. You can buy silicone covers for your ceramic bowls, so you dump the food in there, covered with the with the silicone cover and then put it in the microwave. That's that's a great way to protect yourself. Again, and this is a lifetime sort of issue. It's not just a one time exposure. Drinking out of that plastic bottle today is not going to kill you, but fifty years of drinking out of plastic bottles every day could lead to this build up in your brain.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have one question for you, Jim, Is there any way to get it out of our bodies?
Speaker 9: Well, your body processes things like that naturally, so things that go in eventually kind of leach their way out the same way they got in. And so that's the good point. I mean, it's almost like quitting smoking. The longer you've quit, the better your lung condition becomes. Does it ever get back to one hundred percent? No, But and your brain may still hold on to some of that plastic stuff because we are still exposed all the time. But limiting your exposure could could lower the levels of this stuff in your brain. And there's no way to test for it either. I mean, as I say, these studies have done at the University of New Mexico, world post mortem brains people who died.
Speaker 1: All right, Time to go buy some pyres and bring my silverware to work, So I'm not using plastic as much.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Jim Ryan.
Speaker 9: Yes, ma'am, that is.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's weird to think about because it's everywhere. I mean, like, how do you cut it out completely? But maybe we make a little effort.
Speaker 4: Here and there.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Lawmakers in Washington, d C. Have led protests against Elon Musk and his Department of Government Efficiency. LA Congresswoman Maxine Waters took a shot at the billionaire and his plans to cut parts of the federal government.
Speaker 10: We have got to tell Elon must nobody. We can't all about private information.
Speaker 4: Language Maxine, language, she cussed, she did.
Speaker 1: Musk has been described by the White House as a special government employee. Dairy cattle and Nevada have been infected with a new type of bird flu that is different from the version that has spread in herds since last year. Experts say it raises new concerns about wider spread and the difficulty of controlling infections in animals and the people who work closely with them. Piling on Sean Combs has been sued by two more women and a man who claimed that Combs forced them to go with him and several other men to the Trump Hotel in the late nineties, where they say they were raped and drugged. One of the women says she was sexually assaulted by Combs and others. The other says she was raped while Combs watched. Two planes have collided on a taxiway at Seattle Tacoma International Airport. The wing of a taxiing Japan Airlines plane hit the tail of a Delta Airlines jet yesterday. The Delta plane was parked and waiting to be de iced. One passenger says she thought they hit ice.
Speaker 11: The claim's kind of dult a table a.
Speaker 7: We're in a car accident.
Speaker 11: The Delta's tail was like lodged into the wing.
Speaker 1: No injuries were reported. The National Transportation Safety Board has started an investigation. Of course, Republican Senator Mitch McConnell has been hurt in a couple of falls at the US Capitol. The eighty two year old fell down a small stead of stairs yesterday outside the Senate Chamber and had to be helped by other senators. He fell again during a lunch conference while carrying a plate of food. He was taken out of the Capitol in a wheelchairs of precaution. A spokesperson says he had a minor cut to his face and sprained his wrist, but was cleared to resume his schedule. A lot of workers at Workday are about to be out of work. The company told employees in a memo yesterday that seventeen hundred workers were being laid off. The company said AI will be used to expand operations other tech based companies that recently faced job cuts include Salesforce, Crewise and Amazon. A legend in black history has died.
Speaker 2: Retired Lieutenant Colonel Harry Stewart, Junior, passed away peacefully at his home on Sunday in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Stewart was one of the last surviving Tuskegee airmen. Back in the nineteen forties. He was one of the first one thousand black pilots trained in Alabama during World War two and segregation. Stewart earned the dist English Flying Cross for his bravery and escorting bombers, and was one of four Tuskegee eramen credited with downing three enemy aircraft in just one day. Stuart was one hundred years old. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: La County Sheriff's dispatchers had to go old school, writing down and then relaying information to deputies by phone and radio. When the dispatch system crashed. The system was down for just a few hours yesterday. It also crashed on New Year's Eve and was down for a few days. The computer aided dispatch system is nearly forty years old. More than six thousand households in the Eton fire burn zone have applied to have the Army Corps of Engineers clear debris from their property free of charge. None of that work has started yet. Debris removal has already started at elementary schools in the Pasadena School District. Some debris removal is underway in Pacific Palisades because residents have opted to have private contractors do the work. Today's the deadline for federal workers to accept the Trump administrations offered to pay them through September if they agreed to resign. Forty thousand federal employees have apparently taken the deal so far. That's about two percent of the federal workforce. The buy out is an effort from Elon Musk in his Department of Government Efficiency to trim the federal workforce. Let's say good morning now to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. John got to be in the Oval Office with a small group of reporters yesterday with the President.
Speaker 3: So dish a dish, Okay, I will dish for you Amy. Yesterday I was in the Oval Office. And the reason being is because Pam Bondi was sworn in as the new US Attorney General. She was confirmed just the date before by the full set of fifty four to forty six. She won the support of one Democrat, John Fetterman, Senator from Pennsylvania, and yesterday was the day that she was sworn in. She was sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and in the Oval Office yesterday perhaps two three dozen of pambondy friends and family to witness her swearing in. This was the first swearing in that was conducted in the Oval office of President Trump's second term in office. I was there and even got a question that I that I asked of both the President and the new Attorney General about what the priorities of the Department of Justice will be now that Pambondy has been confirmed and sworn in as the new age. I got a very generic answer from both the President and from the Attorney General Amy, but it's always, you know, great to get a question answered by the President, and particularly in the Oval office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so for people who only see him, like when the cameras are what the cameras were on, because I saw that swearing in ceremony that you're talking about. But did they turn the cameras off and then you had some time to talk to them or was it all very official.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, Oh, very official. So the ceremony takes place, the President, as you saw yesterday, made some remarks, sworn it, then Pambondi sworn in by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Then Pambonni made some remarks, and that's when the President took two questions, one for me, and then were ushered out. We're ushered out of that room.
Speaker 5: Qui as you can, thank you for coming, as you.
Speaker 3: Can imagine, Yeah, thanks for coming, thank you exactly ushered out of there. You know, that's not a surprise. Sometimes he's the president is very talkative in the Oval office, and you know, during the course of his second term, sometimes he speaks for a full twenty twenty five minutes and they're taking questions. I think yesterday is because of the nature of why we were in there, which was this swearing in. Just didn't want to talk about other topics, and that's why my question focused on the reason why we're in the Oval office in the first place, and that was the swearing in of his new attorney general.
Speaker 1: I'm always interested and fascinated John when they do these. The reporter and he takes questions and it's obviously kind of what they're there for. And like you mentioned, he was there for one specific thing and then a reporter or use asks something like just like something out of the blue that has nothing.
Speaker 4: To do with anything that they're trying to talk about.
Speaker 1: I would imagine that's frustrating for anybody who's in office.
Speaker 3: Well, it's frustrating sometimes when we want to focus on what is the news of the day, and so sometimes you have to be able to read the room. That's the way I describe it, and I've said this to my fellow reporters sometimes. You know, maybe it's because I've been a White House correspondent going back to Bill Clinton's first term in office. I've got a good sense of the room. I've got a good sense of the president, whoever it is, and I can tell if the president's in a talkative mood, if he wants to take on other subjects or not. And yesterday was one of those days where he just wanted to talk about Pam Bondy, the Department of Justice, the fact that she's just been sworn in. He didn't want to talk about Gaza, for instance. He didn't want to talk about Doge, and you just wanted to focus on that, and sometimes if you want to get a question answered, that's the reason why you have to narrow the focus of your question.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So then I have one last question for you, because I have been, of course to the replica Oval Office at the Raven Presidential Library, but I obviously haven't been to the real one. Is what's it like in the real one. Is there just another room or is there really like this feeling about it?
Speaker 3: No, it's a special room, you know. I mean, think about all the presidents who've occupied the Oval Office, and that is just why it's always been a thrill for me to be in there. I've been in there dozens of times over the years for various presidents. It never gets old.
Speaker 12: Amy.
Speaker 3: And by the way, the Oval Office it looks the same from Donald Trump's first term in office. Same desk, same rug, same curtains. He put it back the way it was when he left office and handed the keys over to Joe Biden. Well, now he has the keys and he put it back exactly the way it was during his first term in the White House.
Speaker 1: Well, he definitely has his own sense of style, so that's not not really surprising.
Speaker 4: But Kfi's White House course. But in John, ya go ahead.
Speaker 3: Amy, if I may, if I may, I'm so sorry just because you just made me think of something happens. Taking first term, He's looking around the Oval Office and he says, you know what, it doesn't look exactly the way I want it. So he got the people that you know, change light bulbs in there, and now it has this engraved gold presidential sealed doorknob to get into the Oval Office. That is an addition made by President Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: See that's what Those are the things we learn when we get to talk to you. Kfi's White House courspondent John Decker, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy, talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: Dodger Star Show.
Speaker 1: Hee Otani's former interpreter is do in court today to be said for bank and tax fraud. Ibe Mitzuhara pleaded guilty to stealing nearly seventeen million dollars from Otani to pay gambling debts. He could get almost five years in prison when he sentenced in Santa Ana today, two people have been arrested for allegedly starting a fire in Ventura County Cafe's Daniel Martindale says the Ventura County Sheriff's office spotted the pair Monday night with the use of a drone.
Speaker 13: The fifty three year old man and thirty seven year old woman were arrested on Monday on suspicion of starting a fire in the Santa Clara River bottom just south of Oleave Us Links golf course. This was near the site of the sixty one acre auto fire that started on January thirteenth.
Speaker 1: That fire burned just over sixty acres. California's High Speed Rail authorities responded to President Trump's promise to investigate the agency. The rail authority says ignore the noise as they enter the track laying phase. With one hundred and seventy one miles under active construction, it.
Speaker 2: Says fifty major structures and sixty miles of guideway are completed and the project has received full environmental clearance from San Francisco.
Speaker 1: To laf's few, Phil Hewlett says the project has cost twenty eight billion dollars since voters approved it in two thousand and eight. It was supposed to cost less than ten billion. Construction began in twenty fifteen on a section through the Central Valley. A former teacher of the Year in San Diego has pleaded guilty to multiple sex crimes involving two boys.
Speaker 2: Jacqueline Ma admitted to four felon accounts, including loot, acts on a child and possessing explicit material of a minor. Prosecutors say the teacher groomed two boys, and one of those boys she started a sexual relationship with as early as twelve years old. Police say that the teacher would buy the boy's gifts, including gaming related items. The investigation started when the boy's mother discovered disturbing messages between her son and the teacher. Police later found explicit photos and evidence of further grooming on her cell phone. Ma is now looking at thirty years to life when she's sentenced in May. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Google has released its latest artificial intelligence model kfi's Matt Mattin's and says it's been described as an upgrade of a previous version.
Speaker 5: Google says the experimental tool can handle complex prompts and can comprehend world knowledge better than its previous models. It's also designed to use Google Search when gathering information. This comes as similar programs that have been released by open Ai and Chinese startup Deep Seek.
Speaker 1: Tech Crunch reports the pro version of Gemini two point zero can process one and a half million words in just one prompt, so as an example of that means it could ingest all seven Harry Potter books in a single prompt and still have four hundred thousand words left over. Scientists are planning to do a necropsy on a gray whale that washed a short dockweiler. Marine biologists say the thirty eight foot whale may have been sick, but it will also look into whether it may have been hit by a ship. Each year, gray whales make a fourteen thousand mile round trip from their feeding grounds in the Arctic to Baja California, where they breed and then return with their young. The EPA plans to use a parking lot at will Rogers State Beach to store and process the hazardous materials being removed from damaged and destroyed homes in the Palisades fire area. LA City councilwoman Tracy Park and Malibu's mayor are both criticizing the choice of that location. Protesters have hit the streets of downtown LA for a fourth day to protest President Trump's deportation policies. A few hundred people rallied at near City Hall yesterday got out of control for a bit. In the afternoon, the LAPD issued a traffic advisory for the area of Spring Street, First Street, and Broadway. Flu in California is surging. Health officials say more people have tested positive for the flu this year than before the pandemic. Flu related deaths are higher than they've been in four years. About five hundred people in California have died so far this flu season. So Pasadena has come to a Pasadena Humane more specifically has come to the rescue of more than a thousand pets since the wildfire tour through Altadena and Pasadena. We wanted to go back check in with PR and communications manager Kevin McManus to find out how things are going. So wake Up Call went out and about to Pasadena Humane. So first, Kevin, we want to go back to the night the fire started, well, the night of.
Speaker 7: The seventh, which is the night the eating fire broke out. Knowing where it was located, we knew that we had to be prepared for emergency boarding because that's a service that we always provide to the cities in our neighborhood. So we actually had staff here even overnight that first night, thankfully, because by the end of the day on the A three had taken in over three hundred and fifty animals. So that's yeah, people and these these are the people who evacuated with their pets with them, right, So that was you know, obviously a huge challenge for us.
Speaker 12: We were only able to.
Speaker 7: Accomplish that because well, one, we have an incredible team of folks who work here, but we also had a ton of outside help from other shelters who realized what was going on and how they could help right away was to come in and take literally every adoptable animal that we had on site before the fire started.
Speaker 1: Oh so you basically cleared the space so you could take in the animals.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So with the combined effort of a number of shelters, we get by the end of the day on Thursday or Friday, like every animal who was here was just here for for emergency boarding and so least our own pets, you know that, and people who you know, who they belonged with. But with the you know, within you know, hours of the fire breaking out, we also started to see stray animals coming in and so you know, we we've i mean, since it started, we've taken in over a thousand animals at this point into the shelter alone, a combination of emergency boarding and strays. And we've also been able to reunite a lot of animals.
Speaker 12: In the field.
Speaker 7: So what that means is we have animal control officers out in the burn zones, out patrolling looking for lost pets, you know, or people who have you know, found pets and brought them to us. So we're able to reunite a lot of animals that way, and.
Speaker 1: So they're not necessarily even coming into the shelter. But the number now is astronomical fourteen hundred, Yeah, and.
Speaker 7: A lot of that is, yeah, do the really hard work of our animal control being out there as soon as they could, like in the areas that were impacted, because we knew like there was there were going to be a ton of animals who needed our help. And so again we relied on a lot of assistance from other organizations ASPCA and American Humane and San Diego Humane and La County, like everyone was really pitching in in such a great community, really communal effort to help these animals.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're continuing, you know, it's a month, is it a month?
Speaker 11: Gosh, it's like it's almost a month after the fire, and you're still holding on to some animals, and so even some of them that have been reunited, they're not ready to take them home yet because they don't have a home to go back to, so you're holding them here.
Speaker 12: That's right.
Speaker 7: Right from the start, we've committed to keeping people's pets as long as it took for them to get back on their.
Speaker 12: Feet, and we're going to stand by that.
Speaker 7: You know, we had no idea at the time that we would, you know, a month later, still be caring for two hundred and fifty family pets, dogs and another one hundred and fifty family members, another one hundred and fifty cats, plus a bunch of exotic pets that we would rarely see on a regular basis.
Speaker 12: What kind of exotic pets do we?
Speaker 7: Oh, we have a bunch of birds, some really interesting reptiles. We even have some goldfish. Yeah, okay, like Noah's our Yeah. But you know, obviously that is a service that we want to do for the community because it's so important for us year round, but especially at this time to keep families together whenever possible.
Speaker 1: And the animals they're taking care of are just amazing and beautiful. And I'm going to be posting my conversation with Kevin and pictures of some of the animals on my ig at Amy K King this morning, also at KFIAM six forty. I need producer MAT's going to help me do that, so it's not up yet, but oh my gosh, these animals are just amazing. And we're not done with Kevin yet because they're not only providing homes to displace pets, but Pasadena Humane is providing a ton of food to families caring for some of the animals burned in the fire, and they're working to get the animals at the shelters not involved in the fires into their forever homes. We're going to get more on that coming up in less than ten minutes. Okay, now, let's turn our attention over to business and check in with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Donaho, Good morning, Courtney, good morning. Okay, I think I need a Starbucks, but you're going to make it a little more difficult for me.
Speaker 8: No, well, it will be a little bit easier because it's the mission is to speed up service. Long waits have definitely turned off a lot of customers and you could see it in their sales declines. So the company's targeting its apt to make the ordering less chaotic. But that might be a problem if you have a lot of orders. So Starbucks is limiting mobile orders to twelve items per order, down from fifteen. They're also removing some customization options, so if you like to add in a lot of different things to your latte, that might be a problem.
Speaker 1: So the double latte half fat, half ohed skinny with a splendid shaken not stirred is not going to be allowed anymore.
Speaker 8: Yeah, not happening because they say that the large orders with all these modifications have definitely made it tough.
Speaker 4: For the barists to keep up.
Speaker 8: So they also want to bring a little bit of order to the free for all the forms of the pickup counter two when you're waiting for your coffee and food.
Speaker 1: So they're continuing to make some changes because I think last week they said they were going to reduce their menu offerings by like thirty percent because again too much clutter.
Speaker 8: Yes, and they're also working on features to make it a little bit easier to do orders. They're actually working on one that lets customers select a time slot for pickup orders, so hopefully making it easier in the long run.
Speaker 4: Okay, no, it's tough.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, I want to turn to the markets. I heard that gold hit a record high yesterday, and I wanted to ask you what is driving that and what should people go get some.
Speaker 8: The worries out there. The flood of tariff headlines that we've been seeing, that's driving people to head to gold, which is always a haven in times when things are a bit uncertain. So the flood of tariff headlines have quieted down a bit. This is letting investors catch their breadth this morning. So we are seeing that play out overall within the market. So stocks are looking at a higher open right now. Dow futures are up thirty points. But we're going to get some excitement later on today. Amazon reports earnings after the closing bell, and that's going to give investors a closer look at the holiday quarter. How much we really spent on all our gifts And maybe I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Know about that.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm contributing, I just ordered something yesterday. Oh there you go, so did I too? All right, Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, thank you so much for the information. We'll check in with you again tomorrow morning because we get to talk to you every day to get the business update right here on wake up call at five point forty. Have a great day, thanks Courtney. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. My thirty eight year old man's been charged with raping a woman in Laguna Hills, OC sheriff's deputy say. The woman says she was assaulted by a customer where she worked on Lapase Road. Back on January twenty fifth, Hector Guzman Junior of Costa Mesa was charged with rape and other charges on Tuesday. He did not enter a plea at his arraignment. President Trump assigned an executive order banning trans athletes from women's and girls' sports in federally funded schools. Trump said during the signing ceremony yesterday that any school found to be violating the order will be denied government assistants.
Speaker 10: If you let men take over women's sports teams or invade your locker rooms. You will be investigated for violations of Title nine and risk your federal funding. There will be no federal FARMA.
Speaker 1: Title line prohibits sex discrimination in schools. Trump says the war on women's sports is over, and the Military Academy at West Point has disbanded a dozen clubs related to gender and race. A memo from its deputy commandant says the academy is acting in accordance with President Trump's executive Order on DEI programs. The second of two storms to move through southern California is expected to bring rain to La County, raising concerns that too much rain could cause mud and debris flows in the Palisades and eaten fire burn areas. The first storm just brought light rein to the area, and no mud or debris flows were reported in the burn areas. The latest attempt to recall Governor Newsom needs to start over behind. The effort turned in too few signatures to formally start the process. The Secretary of State's office is only one hundred and four valid signatures were accompanied the application. Three hundred and twenty five are required. Newsom has survived several other recall attempts including one that made it to the ballot in twenty twenty one. A new study suggests people feel better in the morning and worse late at night. The study, published in the journal b MJ Mental Health, found that people generally reported better mental health and well being earlier in the day, and they also said they felt happier and more satisfied with life. See another reason to join us for wake up Call every morning. We're just minutes away from handle on the news this morning, Trump's team is walking back some of the things the President said when he announced that the US wants to take over Gaza bills.
Speaker 4: Going to weigh in on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're out and about to Pasadena Humane this week to find out about everything that's been done to rescue and care for the animals displaced in the fire in Altadena. We're talking with PR and Communications manager Kevin McManus because they have reunited fourteen hundred animals with their owners, and not only that, they're providing homes for the animals until their families are ready to take them back. And they're caring for the animals who were injured in the fire.
Speaker 12: Right from the start.
Speaker 7: Saw some injured animals coming in wildlife, but a lot of domestics as well. So a lot of cats have come in with burn injuries and burned pop pads, some dogs as well, And thankfully we have five veterinarians on staff and a really talented veterinary team who like, you know, basically we're like okay, we roll up their sleeves and get to work, and we have an ICU here on site.
Speaker 12: It was used as kind of like a triage where you know, we.
Speaker 7: Had oxygen chambers set up for some of the cats too, had a smoke annhialation. We had you know, like basically burn units for these animals.
Speaker 12: And our team has really just stepped up and.
Speaker 7: You know, the care that they're giving these injured animals, you know, to make them back to hole.
Speaker 12: It's really incredible.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're seeing now like the results of that hard work.
Speaker 1: And the other thing that is pretty amazing is how people have turned out to donate supplies.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've got a lot of supplies.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was one of the most amazing things that a couple of days after the fire broke out, so I think Thursday, whatever, the ninth, I was coming into work very early and I turned the corner onto Raymond, and I saw a line of cars and I thought, you know, dear God, these are.
Speaker 12: More people who have been evacuated, Like where are we going to put all these animals?
Speaker 14: Right?
Speaker 7: And it was actually people who had read a social media post we put up that we needed four types of four things we need to create some bowls and blankets and towels, and people kind of just reacted to that in such an amazing way that we had a line of people waiting to bring us stuff.
Speaker 12: So all of the crates and bulls and.
Speaker 7: Blankets and towels and food and leashes and everything that.
Speaker 12: We could possibly need to take care of the.
Speaker 7: Animals that were in our care and to provide for our food bank, which is something that we operate year round, giving people food if they can't afford it, if they you know, but in effort to keep families together. So just that amazing outpower, outpouring of support was incredible.
Speaker 1: And then one other thing that I wanted to chat with you really quick about was adoptions because now, like you said, all the animals that were at the Human at Pasadena Humane were moved out to make room for the displaced animals. But now as we're walking around, we're seeing that there are some strays here and some cats that are adoptable. But you've had the adoptions center closed, but that's changing.
Speaker 4: You're reopening it.
Speaker 7: This whole time, we've also still had to operate like normals, so so we did get you know, non fire related straight animals, owner surrender animals. I anticipate that within the next day or two we're going to start putting the animals that will be available for adoption on the adoptable part.
Speaker 12: Of our website.
Speaker 4: Okay, and where's that.
Speaker 12: It's passiding Humane dot org.
Speaker 7: If you want to click view pets, you can kind of see the animals that are here.
Speaker 12: If you're still looking.
Speaker 7: For your lost animal at this point, there's also a link on the website.
Speaker 12: So please, if you see an.
Speaker 7: Animal that you think is yours, call us. You're going to if you're not in a place where you can reclaim that animal. We need to know so we don't accidentally adopt out someone's a name, right.
Speaker 1: Because at some point, if nobody comes to claim them, they will become adoptable, right.
Speaker 7: And that's the sad kind of reality of just shelters. Yeah, a lot of animals that come in like nobody comes to get them and for whatever reason.
Speaker 12: You know, we'll never understand it.
Speaker 7: But yeah, our goal is to make every animal that comes in here find their happy home. If it's not with their home that they were within a month ago, then that's okay too.
Speaker 4: Yep. And I can tell you there's good animal good animals here.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I got my Alex here, and then one of my best friends just got a new kitten and his name is Ozzie and he's growing like a weed and we got him here and he's a beautiful, beautiful animal. So if you're looking to adopt, check out Pasadena Humaine and is it dot org dot com, dot org dot org. Kevin McManus, thank you and thank you for everything that you and everybody at Pasadena.
Speaker 12: Humane the thank you our pleasure.
Speaker 4: See you made me cry at the very end.
Speaker 1: I made it through the whole interview before I started crying. So thanks to Kevin and everybody at Pasadena. You mean they are doing I mean they're doing God's worth. It's it's amazing what they're doing. And like I said, we we got to tour around and see all the animals and there if they have a name tag on the enclosure or the cage, whatever, then that means that they know who it is. They've been reunited with their family, and the family just can't take them back yet because they, like I said, they don't have anywhere to go too, so they've committed that they will keep them until the family is ready and the crates and the kennels are full. And then there's also the ones that need to be adopted. So again they're going to reopen adoptions I believe you said February tenth officially, because they haven't been able to adopt anybody out for a month because they've been in emergency mode caring for all of these animals. So there's lots of pups and kittens and grown dogs and grown cats and beautiful animals that would love a new home. As I mentioned, I'm going to put that up on my Instagram at Amy K.
Speaker 3: King.
Speaker 1: Would love for you to follow me if you're so inclined. It's also going to be up at KFI AM six point forty. We're still editing the video, but it's worth a look. The animals are beautiful and we have some we have We actually went into the operating room and got to see one of the cats who is being treated because they're pause.
Speaker 4: Were completely burned and her ears were burned. But she's doing much much better.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Governor Newsom says he had a very successful day in Washington, d C. After meeting with President Trump at the White House. The meeting was supposed to last a half hour yesterday but went on for about an hour and a half.
Speaker 14: I look forward to more productive meetings, and I look forward to the spirit that defined the meetings of this day. That's the spirit of collaboration, cooperation. The spirit defines the best American people.
Speaker 1: Newsome also met with members of Congress to talk about disaster aid and recovery from the fires in La County. He has more meetings scheduled today. California Attorney General Rob Bonta has warned Children's Hospital LA that withholding services for transgender patients could violate state law. The hospital announced Tuesday that it was suspending the initiation of hormone blockers, surgeries, and other gender affirming care for those under nineteen because of President Trump's executive order patients who are already had the services started that those will continue, just no new services. A Japan Airlines plane has hit a parked Delta Airlines plane at Seattle's Airport. The japan Airlines plane had just landed it was taxiing when the crash happened yesterday. No injuries were reported and passengers were deplaned. The dark streets of La may soon light up again.
Speaker 2: The city council has acknowledged too many street lights are out and have been out for a while. Councilman Isabel Herado says residents of her district in downtown and northeast La, have said they're afraid to be out at night.
Speaker 7: Ask for your support in helping address the inequity while exploring how we can create more sustainable and resilient lighting systems less susceptible to failure and disruption.
Speaker 2: The city council voted to investigate where street lights are out the most in Herado's district, and also to look city wide for more real time reporting of outages and better ways to fix the darkness. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News, This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Ange Jelli's Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Showers this morning, then we should get a bit of a break this afternoon before the next doorm moves in. Highs in the upper fifties to low sixties. Rain starting up again tonight with low's in the forties and fifties. Rain continues tomorrow with highs in the fifties to low sixties. Mostly cloudy Saturday, then becoming sunny for Super Bowl Sunday, with highs through the weekend in the upper fifties to mid sixties. It's fifty seven in Orange, fifty seven Manhattan Beach, fifty seven in Granada Hills, fifty seven in Santa Anna. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you could listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.