Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfi. Michael Garfield. Michael Garfield's joining in the high Tech Texan. Michael Garmer is here with a high Tech Texans.
Speaker 2: To make life easier system technology, and Michael Garfia has something you might like.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio Act. Now your high Tech Texan, Michael Garfield.
Speaker 3: We well, well, whichwas the weekend after Christmas and all across the airwaves most everyone still sleeping.
Speaker 2: Oh my, what an outrage. You should be listening to the High Tech Texan because if you have gifts to return, you won't be a sweaton. No, my name is Michael. Thanks for tuning in. We've got a pack show, so start calling in on Samsung, on Hummer, on Amazon we go. So buckle up, my friends, and let's start this big schizo. And with that the final high Tech Texan show of the year twenty twenty four. And you know what that means if you're a long time listener. It's the weekend after Christmas, the first show after Christmas, middle of Hanukkah. As we stand also right now and something tells me you got a few gifts and you just don't love them, and so what do you do? Well? For the past month and I have I have been telling you gifts, suggestions, what you should get, what you should ask for. But for some reason, your loved one, someone gave you little something something that they didn't listen to my advice. And it just so well, this is the opportunity for you to call them. You do you know, post something online, tweet me, email me, whatever youone do. Hey, garf, guess what I got this and it's a piece of crop. I'm going to return it. What should I get instead? Now it could be you like the category. Okay, maybe it's a nice wireless microphone and what oh it wont to DJI might do? Now? You got a phone, you got a phone case, you got a TV, you got a car, you got an suv? All right, I just don't love it, but I needed something. You think I can return it within three days? The lemon law. I still have the receipt. There's a gift receipt. What can we do? This is what I'm here for. We always have a little fun with it because we're always have a little pep in our step for some reason. You you were probably not working these last few days of twenty twenty four. But I do it for you. Let me tell you how to get in love hearing from you. I check your voicemails, I listen to them, ilay them online. I'll play them on air three four six twenty nine Texan three four six two nine. Spell it out t e x A n AS in high Tech Texan. That is me. Michael is the name. Big shout out for those listening across the state of Texas terrestrially KPRC nine fifty AM in Houston, the Mighty Mighty eleven ninety in Big d Dallas Fort Worth, and then news Radio twelve hundred WOAI in San Antonio. So we've got the big markets covered, we've got all the suburbs. If you're not in those cities, you may be listening online. You know, you could take this show everywhere you go. And that did not happen well over twenty twenty plus years ago that I started this show. It was only over the air. Now we've got these things called apps. Now we have streaming, so you can download the iHeartRadio app, which by the way, was just revamped some neat new features. It is free to download. You download it, you type in high Tech Texans, spell the whole thing out, or type in your favorite radio station, type in Michael Garfield, which is my name, and then you can listen to the two hours live right now, or if you missed it, you can go back and podcast it to the extent and all you need. Some of the things we're gonna be yapping about today, my favorite some of my favorite apps of the year. Now, I'm not going to play this game alone. I want you to chime in, which is why I've given you the number three four six twenty nine Texan. I will give you an email. Try Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com. Tell me some of your favorite apps, and you know what, we can actually do this. We can actually extend it to a few things. I'm gonna tell you some of my favorite apps, which may give you an idea of what to download with the play around with it on your new phone. You get some extra time off before you get back to work. But also give me some of your favorite other products. Did you get something that just blew you away? Was it headphones? Was it ear Pause? Was it an Iron? Was it a steamer. And I say this is because these are the these are some of the products that I have been playing and testing with for the past few weeks, so they're top of mine. But we can go beyond that. What was your favorite food? Got a favorite restaurant? Because you listen, I'm I'm done with Texas based guy, high Tech Texan. We're now in the three largest cities in Texas. I know my Burrito's, I know my Tacos. I know my Brecky Tacos too. You want to get in love to hear you? Three four six two nine t e x A N. Michael's the name. I'm gonna tell you here, give me a few minutes. Because I don't rant a lot. I'm just one of those you know, I don't really diss a lot of things because there are so many products out there that there's just and I'm not a I'm not a hater. I don't really diss a product. I'll tell you some of the reasons why you shouldn't get it. I've never said I hate product. I've never really said don't buy a product. But I'm sorry, if you could just I have to end the year with this and give me to the start of the next break here, I'm going to give you at least reason number one hundred why I, and I use the word I, Michael Garfield, why I will not buy an electric vehicle. Just it. Just if you're a longtime listener. I review cars, I review trucks. Matter of fact, got to thank a good friend of mine, Jerry Reynolds, the car Pro guy. I sat in for Jerry last weekend. If you were in one of the sixty plus markets around the country, a three hour radio show it's called the Car Pro Show. Gave you my thoughts on my favorite vehicles that I tested this year. On any given year, I test drive sixty or seventy brand new vehicles. I get them at least on a weekly basis. These do not come from dealerships. These come directly through manufacturers. I am not paid to talk about them. It is all my thoughts, which means I can ream them or I could love on them. It is totally and that's why Jerry said, Garth, I trust your opinion. You do the same thing I do. We're both members of the Texas Auto Writers Association. Really fun got a lot of questions about cars, what to buy, their kids or they're in the you know, should they trade in something right now? My car was in a wreck, and what should I get my kid just left the school? Now I want to downsize the vehicle. I got that going. But I also will tell you about electric vehicles. There's there, there are, There are some reasons you may want to get them. But for me, in my lifestyle where I am right now, where my kids are grown, and it is just me living alone, and I like the freedom to get in my vehicle and turn the nission on and drive as far away in just a few hours from Houston to Dallas to San Antonio. I could go to Lake Charles. I could go a lot of places where I don't need to stop and worry about running out of electricity on that battery, trying to find a battery charger, waiting an hour plus time, and spending a good amount of money to charge that thing which happened to be a few days ago. So stand by. If you may enjoy this, You may hop on the bandwagon. You may call and say, dude, what are you talking about? Man, suck it up, you need to plan your trip out, gotcha. I will tell you why I will not be buying an ev MA sway you may not. I'll let you hear about that. Cees. The Consumer Electronics Show is just around the corner. I'll be there and is it one week? About a week, week and a day. I will be out in Las Vegas. Another reason why you need to follow me on instad Graham period Hi g h T E c h T e x A N high tech Texan. I am going to be uploading videos of stuff that you do not need intoenty twenty five. That's right, the world's largest consumer tech show, my twenty second, twenty third year that I'll be there. I will be broadcasting. I have a radio and a TV booth brought on from that Las Vegas convention floor. I will be covering it. Also. I will be bringing some samples, some demos the companies give me, and I will be giving them away to you, maybe on the air right now. But if you follow me, if you quote, if you comment, when you see me post a drone or post something, Hey Michael Man, I love that? And how do I win that? How can I enter that? That's why you see I'm easily She doubled my fifty thousand followers to one hundred thousand between now and the end of the year. But hurry up, we just got a few days or so. Michael is the name. Three four six two nine Textan. We are going to continue and stand by. Buckle your seatbelt, my friends. If you're interested in NV you may do a U turn because I'm just not happy right now. It is the High Tech Textans Show. Come right back?
Speaker 1: What off?
Speaker 2: What off?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 2: You might think, Gardee, we call this the High Tech Texians Show. It is about consumer products. It's about returning you're all day gifts. Now as we do the show just a few days after Christmas of twenty twenty four, this is the final show of this year. If you're new to the show, because we just got added on in San Antonio on WOAI eleven ninety in Dallas. That expands the listening audience a long time. It's been twenty three years in Houston on KPRC nine fifty of the iHeartRadio Network. We thank you. But if you're new to it is we have some fun. I am not gonna tell you how to fix your computer. I don't do that. I will tell you I'll recommend a new computer. I'll recommend a laptop. I'm gonna answer you. You're gonna ask me a question. I'm going to answer with a question. What are you trying to do with it? Is it for a student? Maybe you do want a laptop? Is it for an elderly person who doesn't travel and they just want something to play some games? They need a big screen. I may give you an all in one desktop to do. I have a lot, a lot of ammunition to give you some ideas. If you want a vehicle, Oh do I I review vehicles fifteen years. I have reviewed cars fifty to fifty two plus cars every single year. What is at eight hundred nine hundred vehicles? I have driven the good and the bad, the ugly. Let me give you the phone number right now and buckle up because we're going to have it's story time here. But it's three four six twenty nine text, and I got some voicemails. If we don't pick up and you hear a beat, leave a voicemail. We do have the right to play that later in the show the following week. And I've got a few actually to play. But bear with me over here. I want to see if I could just recollect what happened to me this week, and it's about It's about a vehicle. Long story short. Every single week, every single week, I get a vehicle that is driven up to my house. This is this is business. People don't cry from your Argentina. And this is not a humble brag. This is an fact fact. I review cars and trucks and whatever it is. There is a third party company that works with manufacturers, not dealers. Manufacturers the directment. Most of them are obviously in Michigan everyone. They deliver a car pretty much every Thursday to me. They give me the keys, I give them the other keys. They swap it out. I have one week to test drive this vehicle, Okay, I try to take it obviously. I drive highways and byways. Sometimes they'll take them off road. I have done pickup trucks, electric vehicles, sports cars, minivans, sprinter vans, Sedan's suvcuvs goes on and on and on, all right, and I make notes, I take pictures. I put this on my Instagram high tech textan by the way, and I have my favorites. Tonight's die and I don't like some If if one vehicle is good for somebody, odds are that vehicle may be good for another type of demographic another person. So if I don't specifically like it for me where I am right now, well, listen, I don't have any kids. I don't need a big old minivan or something. Someone's gonna want them any vans, So I do keep an open mind. But when it comes to electric vehicles, I've got to love hate, mostly hate relationship with that thing. I like electric vehicles because they are sexy, nicely designed, they are super fast, they are quiet, and to some extent, maybe they're a little bit more green. However, there's a lot of non green stuff and evs. We're not gonna get into the politics right now. But the problem with me is not so much as an evy itself. It's the charging infrastructure that we have in these United States of America. It is just not ubiquitous enough. I need a charger on a every single street corner, just like we have a gas station. That's part one, Part two. I could fill up a tank of gas as I have because I have been driving gasoline power cars for without giving out my age, well over forty years. All Right, You fill up a tank of gas, it takes anywhere between four minutes to eight minutes, maybe ten minutes, depending on how big of a tank you got. You pay, you get out, you're on the road, all right, you stop at a buckets or something, Yeah, you're screwed. You're gonna spend another hour. You're spending another five hundred dollars. But neither here nor there you get an electric vehicle. Okay, you better tack on about twice the amount of time that you plan to get from a to because if you're going anywhere over two hundred, two hundred and fifty maybe three hundred miles, you are screwed because you now are gonna have to pull out like the old fashioned trip tick and plan your trip because at some point you are gonna have to stop and you're gonna have to recharge that car. You're gonna have to hunt for a place to go charge that vehicle, and your better hope it's a level three, a really fast super or a hyper fast charger. If not, you're gonna sit there and it's gonna be a slow trickle charge. Maybe there's three or four cars already using those. At that point, you're gonna wait to even pull up your car, and then you're gonna back your car in because you forgot that you're charging port was on the other side. Then you got to wait another thirty forty five minutes, an hour, hour and a half to charge your car, and you hope it goes to one hundred percent. Do you see where I'm going right now? It's a pain. Let me give you my review. This past week, I was excited when a Hummer EV holed up in front. That's right. Last week I had a Hummer Eve. Okay, h three sexy, one hundred and seven thousand dollars. The tops can come off. Does the crab walk? It's huge, It's a looker. I love the lights. It fits well, it is cool, interesting enough as big as this bad boy is, because you think it could be all battery. The max range that I could see it was about three hundred miles. Okay, generally I don't travel three hundred miles or so. But you know what I decided to do because at night or two nights before Christmas, I went with the buddy and I live in the Houston area, and we said, you know what, let's go to Lake Charles, Louisiana. Lake Charles, Louisiana maybe about one hundred and ninety miles away, takes about two hours and fifteen minutes. And I said, I'm gonna take this thing well before I go, and I was gonna spend the night before I went. Had to find a charger because I don't have a charger. No, I had to find a charger in charge this thing. Do one hundred percent. Now I have range anxiety, Yes I do. I have range anxiety. And that range anxiety means I have to look at that range. It's gonna go down to ninety percent, sixty forty percent. At that point I start schitzing. It gets down to twenty percent. Now I'm screwed. So I'm thinking we're gonna drive directly. It's got three hundred mile range, only about one hundred and eighty maybe two hundred miles. Whatever it is, I'm still gonna have some mileage on there. There's got to be a charger or two or ten of them at this big hotel. And I'm gonna call out this hotel. Stayed at the Golden Nugget. Golden Nugget, stayed there many times since it's opened ten years ago. Really nice hotel, really good, good restaurants. Now got a sports book it's all good. Drive all the way over there, make it. Maybe that I have about I have no clue why, because I was using the air conditioning and use it and blasting the radio. I get there. Maybe I had about twenty twenty two percent of my battery left. Maybe I had I don't know, fifty miles, sixty miles and maybe less than that. Pull in to the garage is the golden nugget. I'm driving on Level one looking for the charger. Level two. I'm going through all I go through the parking lot, can't find a freaking charger. Pull up to the valet, I asked the nice kids, Hey, man, where's a charger. They see I'm in an electric comer. They look at me and they smile and they're like, we don't have chargers here. And I look them and I'm I may have thrown out a cussword. You are the freaking golden nugget. A beautiful, relatively new hotel. You have people driving from the state of Texas. I know a lot of them have EVS. You don't have a charger, No, sir, we don't. This point, I'm really starting to fits. At this point, my appetite's gone I'm no, I'm losing weight already because I don't eat when I just I get ticked. Where's the nearest charger? Well, there's one in the target parking lot, and you have to go around here, and there's the U turn and there's the circle and then you're gonna turn right over here? Is it open to You're kidding me, so in a way, I didn't worry about it. We park, We gamble, go to dinner, Vican Anthony's cost that an armaal leg gamble a little wake up. So now buddy's sleeping. I'm thinking I need to get I need to take care of this thing. We take care of that. I drive now and I'm watching every every foot that I'm driving and every percentage that this my battery goes down. I drive to this target parking lot. I find out that the target parking lot has a slew of chargers. Uh oh, they're only Tesla charges. Tesla chargers do not fit into the regular right, I said, regularly the chargers okay with the charge coupling system, say okay, gun work. Then I'm thinking I'm really screwed. Wait a minute. I look on the map. Just in the same parking lot. Here's a company called Rivian, And if you don't know Rivian, in Rivi makes a truck and it's an electric truck and it uses the same type of charger that the Hummer does that most of the other cars do. Right, super fast, super speeding everything. Go all the way to the Rivian thing, plug it in, get ready to punch something to give my credit card. We're sorry. These Rivian network chargers only work on Rivians at this place. At this time, I'm looking for a brick to throw through the window of this Hummer, not because I don't like the Hummer, because I am ticked, because I don't know what to do. Now. If that's not enough, I'm going to finish the story and we're going to see if I've ever made it that to Uston. We'll finish after the.
Speaker 4: Book the hour that High Tech Days.
Speaker 2: I don't bought him at the story time with Mike, if you're just two moving when I was telling a story about electric vehicles. I've been test driving this past week, which I do and review the new twenty twenty five Homer H three ev it's an electric vehicle. And the reason in the end of the day is why reason number one hundred. Why I will not buy an EV I live in Houston. I'm gonna speed you up. I live in Houston. I drove with a buddy to Lake Charles, Louisiana. I get there, spend the night a few days ago. I'm down to about twenty percent battery. I get to the hotel. Golden Nugget does not inexplicably, they do not have an EV charger nothing. I do not know how. If Tillman, we love you, baby. If you or your people you need, I will, I'll partner with you. I will build a network of VV chargers. There. You need an EV charger. People drive from Texas to go gamble. You need it anyway, I need to. I wake up early in the morning. My buddy's still sleeping. I'm out searching the city of Lake Charles, Oh. And Lake Charles is a bute people. I'm looking for a charging a charger. I find one. It's a Tesla charger, doesn't work on the Hummer. I find another one. It's a Rivian charger, doesn't work on the Hummer. Now I'm looking out on the map. Now the map on the GPS. You could it'll map out all the evs, and I'm thinking, well, I know car dealer. It's a Monday morning, Monday car dealerships are open. Well, actually yeah, it's it's Louisiana. Car dealerships could be open seven days a week. In textas they're open six days a week. Maybe I'll go to a car dealership. So I see something it's called and there's there's a lot of third party charging companies. There's charge Point, Electrify America Vygo, it goes on and on and on. I like Electrify America. Electrify America, I know, generally has a level three. Level three is the highest level. The level one is when you plug it into your one ten volt wall. I mean that's a trickle charge. Level two it's like a hair drive here, a washer dryer. The dryer plug faster. If you have a plug at home in your garage, ogs or you have a level two, still gonna take six seven hours, eight hours maybe to bloat up overnight, gotcha. But level three you can get pretty much one hundred percent in an hour hour fifteen, depending how low you are. It ain't cheap either. So in a way, I see this Electrify America and it's fifteen minutes away. Now I'm wondering do I have fifteen minutes? Do I have twenty miles or thirty miles in this vehicle to get there? Because if not, I'm freaking stuck in sulfur Louisiana. I ten, I'm screwed. I go all the way, and now I mean I got no air conditioning on I I got no radio. I'm conservating every ounce of that freaking battery. I make it all the way to Electrify America. And interesting enough, Electrify America they had four No, no, they had eight chargers. And it's in a parking lot of a Walmart, which generally they are, and I'm fine with that. I live on the southwest side of you. If I need a charger, I'll go to an Electrify America. I have an account, I get an app, I put my credit card in. I hope no car is already charging itself. I hope all these chargers are fully loaded and they're not broken. And then maybe, if I'm lucky, I can get that out of there thirty forty five minutes at a certain percent. I don't even care about one hundred percent. I'd make it to Electrify America. It's now like nine fifteen in the morning, cold morning. There is an empty slot. Generally there's a fast there's a ultra fast charger, and for the first time, I've never seen one of these things, there's a hyper fast charger. And I'm like, yes, I don't. I don't have time to putts around. I want to get back to the hotel. I want to gamble a little bit more. Hopefully I've got enough juice in the vehicle and I'm gonna get back. So in a way, I have to back it in a crazy way because the cord would not reach. So here I am at nine thirty nine to twenty in the morning, and I am at Walmart, and the Walmart's kind of packed because it's a few days before Christmas. Put my app I get in there and cross my fingers. It works. It's starting charge. Okay, if you just tuning in, I am now ten minutes into the story of why I will not buy an Evy. I am now ruined. Well, I'm not done yet. I've not wasted it entire morning. I'm worried about it the night before, so I'm not concentrating and having a good time at the casino betting on the Cowboy game last Sun. And no, no, no, I'm worried about Am I going to get home? It's on my mind? Okay that you see where I'm going with over here, So I plug it in. Well, now I have I have so low. The estimated time of charging was an hour. Well, what am I going to do? Well? This is why the Walmarts and stores of the world love having chargers in the parking lots, because you ain't got nothing to do except get your button to that store and shop and buy crap that you don't need. Well, I showed them because I've wasted a lot of money at Walmart's. Every time I've charged my vehicle before I walked around for a freaking hour. I didn't buy one freaking thing. So take that Walmart, all right, You still make commission off of me whatever I paid, which I will tell you how much I paid. Well, while you're charging, you can monitor from your app what percentage at. So it's going pretty fast. Now for those of you under who understand what kilowatts and how they work and how fast they go. This old tra no, this was a hyper fast. This could charge up to and you have to use those words. Up to three hundred and fifty kilowatts per hour. That is fast. It really really is if you can get that, because generally I've seen seventy five, seventy eight, maybe eighty kilowatts an hour. It's like, I'm not saying it's a water dripping but imagine now we're at what four times faster, four to five times faster, Well, it goes up to three fifty. Well, the max I was getting was about two hundred and seventy kilowats p hour. I'll take it. It was still going forty five am, rolls around, ten o'clock, rolls around. Now I'm fifty minutes. Now I'm fifty five minutes. Finally, as it gets to the end, it slows down. It uncharged it two hundred and seventy kilowatts an hour, three hundred. It goes down to charges like thirty five kilowatts an hour, nice and small, just to top it off, just to top it off. I have no clue why they need to top it off. It's not like it's gonna overflow with gas, but they're just good. They just topped it off. Now finally I stop. I'm at a hunt, am I even one hundred? I think I'm ninety eight percent bat on my Hummer Rev. I now got have him back to two hundred and eighty miles range. I have wasted over one hour in the morning just sitting at the charger walking around Walmart, on top of another half an hour forty five minutes going to try to even locate and find and drive to three different locations to find a charger that works. Look at the app. Anybody guess how freaking much I spent four an hour charging at a hyper speed. Mm hm not fun, Nope, not at all. Let me pull up my receipt over here. Oh and not only that, do you know how much money I was wasting Electrify America. I have like a sinking fund, and every time it deposits ten dollars in there, I'll get a text ten dollars was just charged to your credit card? During that hour, I got no less than eight, maybe nine different text ding ten dollars is added, ding ten dollars added. I walked out of there. Here's my bill. Max charging was only two hundred and fifty four kilowatts. I wouldn't even two seven. I was lying. I sucked up one hundred and forty two kilowatts an hour. That's a lot of powers. Because I was really low with the sales tax. I paid for that hour eighty five dollars. Folks, Electricity in Texas and Louisiana is more than gasoline. Now you go to California, it's vice versa. Gasoline is very expensive on the West Coast, electricity is not that much. I paid eighty five dollars wasted in an hour and a half, two hours of that morning, worried about it all that night. Finally get back to the hotel. I gamble a little, lose a little bit more. Check out, load it up, get in the hummer, make it all the way back to Houston, make it home. Peace out. That's it. I do not know how you could live with an ev I'm not ragging her, but let me tell you this, this is what I do. I'm not a hater. Let me tell you some certain cases why an EVY was good for me. No way, I did not need that heartache. I did not need the worry. I didn't need the potential wrinkles and gray hair that that issue gave me. Evs are fine in generally, I would say if you have two vehicles at home, if you are married, you live with somebody, make sure one of your cars is gas powered. Then you can get the EV car, and whoever has the EV vehicle, use that just to go play around the neighborhood. Take the kids to school, take them horseback riding, take them to swim practice, take them cheerleading practice. You come home and you charge it in your garage. Maybe you have an office within thirty forty miles of yourself cut. Hopefully you have a charger at home. Hopefully you have one extra office. Charge it, charge it, charge it and get back. But if you rely on hey, let's go take a road trip this weekend. Let's go up to Austin to watch a UT game. Maybe your kids at school, maybe you go to college station. I don't know wherever you go. You're gonna need to plan this thing out. You're gonna need to go. You're gonna need to figure out where, and you better hope a charger is available. You better hope it's at full speed. You better hope you've got some extra cash for that electricity you gotta pay for, and then you're on your way. It's just it was crazy that that is in twenty three years. That could have been my first two segment tirade I've ever done. Now we're gonna open the phone lines three, four, six, twenty nine textan anybody feel free to jumping down load on your experiences, good or bad when it comes to something like that. But reason easily number one hundred and I got more of why I won't buy any EV. That was my weekend. Hey, happy Honka, Marry Chris Mess We're gonna come back. I'll tell you some of my favorite apps of the year. Got some questions and answers. We've got some phone calls. Michael Garfield is the name. It is called The High Tech Text of Shocks, the High Deck Dex and shit boy, I'm looking at the emails. Oh my god, people are just I could I appreciate you enjoying my humor and story telling senses If you just tuned in, I spit the last two segments talking about one of the reasons that I personally personally will not buy an EV. Don't hate on me if you have an EV. I'm not against evs, but for me, where I am in my life, my lifestyle, the kids are gone and I need to travel. I want to get in the car when I get gassed. I don't want to wait. I have ADHD I need let's go, let's roll, Let's snap snap. But I broke down to this past weekend when I just took a road trip and I was freaking out because I thought I was just I could not find a battery charger. It just it happens. We need a better, better way of better process. Not so much the chargers need to be more ubiquitous in the world. They needed faster, they need to be faster. Waiting an hour it's just too much, man, how much you know much we already spend it BUCkies? My goodness, I think I think maybe big Charger in Big Bucky got together and said, you know what, we're just going to make sure that we screw these people and make more wait another hour, do that three times in that day. You spend much money of BUCkies, you going to actually pay for a in actually new vehicle. Let me give you the phone number here people. Also, the email is Michael Garfield at dieheartmedia dot com. Uh it is three four six two nine text and UH, if you call that number, this is what happens. You've got mail.
Speaker 5: Hi John, just trying to get your thoughts on backing up a PC or laptop. What you would recommend going to the cloud, having something in an external storage unit of some nature, what have you? So, just trying to get your thoughts on, kind of from scratch, how would you bet back up your information on your PC?
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, absolute, great question. This is a question, and thank you John. Appreciate that he called three four six twenty nine text. And this is a question that I don't get merely as much as when I started this program. I started this show twenty years ago. Man, it's how do you store your information? What's the cheapest way to do it? What's the most secure way? I answer that on the regular basis. I don't answer it anymore, but I'm more than happy to take this on for you. Wants to know what seems better if you're storing or backing up information on your PC? Do you go cloud storage? Do you maybe get an external hard disk drive and put it on your next to your desk and then just transferred to via cable. Well, if you asked me this fifteen years ago, I easily would have said absolutely, get an external hard disk drive, and even today, these hard drives, they're relatively inexpensive. You can get a terribius two terabytes, three terabytes, one hundred dollars or so. That is really nothing. I mean they used to be measured in megs and gigs and now they're terabytes. I mean that's a lot of information. But I'm going to make a case for cloud storage. I am because I'll start with this. Backing up important files and data remains absolutely important. Vital, v it vital, even though I can't spell. Even with all the security and hardware issues, you have to back it up because your hard disk on your computer, your laptop, it may fail, it may get an attack from malware. Now, hopping data to an external hard drive, it was time consuming, it was cost effective. Though the landscape has changed. And let me tell you what. Let's look at cloud storage versus external storage. Number one, the universal access. If you're setting up a backup, it is really simple to go to a cloud storage. Maybe you call it iCloud, maybe you call it one draw, maybe you call it x drive, maybe you call it dropbox. Whatever. Cloud storage and backup technology wins easily when it comes to the accessibility because once you transfer files from your computer up to the cloud. And when I say cloud and at listen, I apologize. I hate using that term. It's not I am not a meteorologist. Don't look up and oh is that a serious or a serious or nimbus? No, I'm not. It's not a cloud. The cloud is a server that is off site that you really don't see. It's just up in the air, floating somewhere. Just kind of think of it that way. It's actually a secure server run by a company. Bottom line. To transfer files to and from the cloud, all you need is an Internet connection, period, photos, smartphone, tablet. You can do it from anywhere, even without Wi Fi. All right. Now you can access it from anywhere you're on the road. You need the file, okay, if you have it, if you put it on your external hard drive on a terabyte next at your home or office. That's not gonna do you today, too good, is it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: So Number one cloud when it comes to access Number two. Security. Security used to be a major flaw with cloud storage, all right, because some cloud providers losers. They were being hacked and everything. Cloud storage security it's come a long way, it really has. Most secure cloud systems now use virtually uncrackable Advanced encryption standard. Actually it's two fifty six bit aees that you don't care about. Apologize for throwing it out there, but it's advanced encryption standard, all right. It protects your data before it even leaves your device, so that's one. I trust it too. There's another one, the sink technology. One of the biggest vantages to cloud storage is you can keep your files backed up all the time, and that's thanks to sinking technology. It runs in the background on your device and it automatically uploads any new or modified files. Every photo you take Boom, you can set it where it automatically backs up. So if immediately you lose your phone, everything that you just took as a photo, it's on the cloud too. Bottom line, I think now there's a little question that cloud storage is the best way to back up your data. I think you're gonna get more peace of mind the ability to back up your data continuously from any device. In fact, it may not be too long before physical hard drives may just become another casually of oh I remember this, it's not working now. To be sure, if you want suspenders and a belt, if you're be prepared eagle scout like me, sure use a cloud and also use a hard drive. I on my desktop at home have not one, but two hard drives. I transfer these every time I get a new computer desktop computer every few years. All I need to do is take this hard drive, plug it in. I can down upload it that way. But even if the cloud goes down, even it's something I know now, not only do I have a copy of my stuff down cloud, I also have it on a hard drive too. But you don't need that. But again, if all you worry worked out there, if you've got something precious, all your family and the mentos, the videos, go ahead and do it down God great question. I appreciate that we've got one more hour to go thro it. When we come back, I'm actually going to tell you a little something about Apple, and I don't talk about Apple. It's a rumor, but Apple really getting into the smart homes. They're trying to infiltrate it. I don't know if I or you like, though, what Apple rumored device is going to do. I will tell you what that is on the other side, along with a few of the things that I think I'm going to see in about a week and a half at Consumer Electronics show that I know you're not gonna want and you're not gonna afford. So we played the game. People, it is Michael Garfield, high Tech Texting. Happy in the Year.
Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfield. Michael Garfield.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield's joining.
Speaker 1: And the high tech Texan.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is here with a high tech text technology. So Michael Garfield has some and you might win.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeart Radio after now You're high Tech Texan Michael Garfield.
Speaker 2: The show of twenty four Happy post Christmas people are people have emailed me, Michael very cute. Did you use chat, GPT or AI to come up with your little poem at the opening the show? No, people, I actually went to school the University of Texas, took some English classes and majored in communication, and I can come up with stuff. So let's one more time. Let's do it. As we approach the halfway market is halfway to halfy hour in people, you're probably not working right now in his happy hour right now, and it's a weekend. You got listen to Cowboys s and his toast Longhorns are still in play. So whatever you're celebrating, do it. But which was the weekend after Christmas? And all across the ear waves most everyone is still sleeping. Oh my, what an outrage. You should be listening to the high Tech Texan because if you have gifts to return, you won't be a sweaton. My name is Michael, and thanks for tuning in. We've got a pack show, so start calling in on Samsung, on Hummer, on Amazon we go. So buckle up me and migos and let's start this big show. That's how we do it. People. Yep, no Chapie team, Nope, didn't do it. Three four six twenty nine Texan got it, got it. We mixed in a phone call last hour. I get a lot of voicemails for some reason. We don't pick up leave a voicemail, and we do have the right to play it later in the show or next week or two three four six two nine Texan, And a big shout out over the ears to Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio terrestrially, and if you're not in any of those cities, well sucks for you. People. We don't have state income tax here in Texas. You may be listening on the iHeartRadio app. We thank you for that. Uh where do we start like that? My people ask me some of my favorite apps of the year, Well, I like tuna, tartar, nachos are good? Oh? Apps not appetizer? Oh okay, thanks Callum? Callum is my guy over here? Is run? You said apps?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 2: I mean bottomless chips. They're good, you know, maybe a little French onion soup. Good apps? Oh? Apps? Okay. So when it comes to technology, all right, we'll tell you what we're gonna get. If you I'm gonna give you two or three or four of mine that I can think of as I'm cruising my phone. Maybe give you something to download if you've got a new phone for the holidays. But also if you have something to share, what was your favorite app? Your favorite product? Three four six two nine T e x A N Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia, Twitter x Blue Sky, high Tech text and Spell the whole thing out and also Instagram growing even more. That's where I give away. When I talk about something, let's see if we can give it away. And I do a lot of that stuff on Instagram, and I show you a lot of the videos that I'm playing with a lot of shiny new apps this past year. Every app is going to revolutionize your life, all right. Some will stick to the basics, some of them will go overboard. Some of them are confusing, some of them cost money, some of them are worthless. There's a lot of one of the apps that I have probably used more than anything else. And I've had this over have I had it over a year? I may have but one I still like and I'm gonna throw an ash recovery here. It's a video editing software. I do a lot of video editing when it comes to Instagram, and probably the easiest video editor that is so simple that when I show this to some of my cohorts in the TV business who like me, learn to edit on a real Avid edit machine and splice tape and everything is just unbelievable. How how far editing has come. My favorite editor that I use, and again not paid whatsoever. I wish they paid me. None of this stuff is paid. This is just my opinion. Cap Cut c Apcut. It's good for Android, it's good for iOS. It's a video adding it is simple it is for on the go creators. The only thing that you may want to be weary and leary about. This company is owned by the same company that owns TikTok. That same company TikTok, which may be banned the United States the next few weeks. Byte Dance owns cap cut. I don't own I've never my life downloaded TikTok. I use most every other social app. I just don't use TikTok. I don't use I don't not use a double negative, I don't not use TikTok really top of mind because it's owned by a Chinese company, byt dance, because I use I'm playing with two phones right now that are Chinese owned companies. I use cap cut, which is owned by the exact putty bite Dance that has issues. I just never wanted to use tech doc. It's just maybe I thought initially it was just for the young crowd. I know it's not anymore. I just I don't really have the time or wherewith all do even download another social media but cap cut simple, I like it. I use the free of it edition. There is a pro edition. You could do so many things. That's number one. What else do I like, what else do I use? Let's see, I use Android a lot, and I have been pretty impressed with their What's called Gemini and what Google Gemini is. It's kind of like a chat GPT. It's an AI assistant and it gives you access to a lot of different AI models out there. One of the recent updates and one of the things that I'm playing now is like a virtual chat. Instead of just asking you a question, you literally can have a conversation with this thing. So you ask a question Google Gemini, but you download for free and there is an upgrade version too. You ask it a question and they give you kind of an answer, but then you still have another question. Will you ask a question again on top of that one? And they're going to come back and I'm not going to say debate, but they go back and forth. At Rick's works really good. I thought that was neat too. What is another one I like? Let's see, I did make a list over here. Here's one that's called flighty fli ght Y and what it is. It's going to tell you every single thing about your flights, real time updates, alerts, delay predictions, so you're always going to be one of the first to note and rebook. It's easy to use, easy to read, and it works very well. Along with that, I have another one over here. It's called a Ward wallet. I've been using this one. You sign up for free, and what this does attracts your credit cards, your loyalty points, your travel plans, and the secure account that you can get right in your pocket on your phone. Yes, I use Google Wallet too, that does my credit cards, my low few points. But this because it adds in a little bit of travel. I like this also Award Wallet, and they've got partnerships. I think this has got a partnership with everything from Capital One to Chase, to Hilton, to City to Marriott, Bank of America, and it goes on and on and so it's a it's a free service and they're tracking everything from dining to cruises to trains to credit cards and what have you. And so those Let's see if I can think of one or two more where I can think of before we get the break over here, which is three four six twenty nine textan as I see some phone calls getting ready to come in, uh, photo and answers. Some people want to I, you know what for a long time, my favorite photo. It's not AI really, I mean, it just enhances your photos. It will make the colors brighter. It can, you know, do a number of different things. I like snapseed free, snap seed long use that. But there's another one I saw called Radiant Imagining Radiant Imagine. I'm going make shure you no, not Radiant Photo Radio. Let me give you the exact website Radiantimagining Labs dot com, Radiant and I guess you could download the app at Radiant Photo. This one may be paid. I did try this. I think I got just a kind of one or two type of thing, little bit more intricate where you have to start checking and unchecking some boxes. To me, it's not a simplest napstream. But cameras are really good. They're getting better. But sometimes you take it real fast, you have a filter, there's smudges on your lens, or you want to sex it up as I call it. You may want to, you may I want a photo and answer. So those are the few I have. We're gonna take a break. You tell me what are some of your best apps. Michael Garfield is the name Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com three four six, twenty nine text, all right, when we come back, got a question and answer? Someone did write an email and I got a question about a router where to place it in their home? Because it's a new type of router. You may have this type of router too. You may need to know the answer. That's why you're gonna hang around and high tech text show you the high deck Text the show, final episode of twenty four Hi, you're new to the show. If you're in San Antonio, Dallas, you have no clue who I am, where you've been people who've been in Houston for twenty three years. I do want to think my boss is something that I am thankful for this year and only took freaking two decades. Brian Erickson, Eddie Martini. They are with iHeartMedia. They've long been my bosses. They say, garf Man, you got some good BS, which, by the way, I really do have good BS, which, by the way, I have a BS degree, which by the way, does not stand for Bachelor of Science. If you know what, i'maiah. They said, you know what, You've been doing this for two decades in the Houston area. You know, the biggest city in Texas fourth largest in the country. You know what, let's let's put you in some other markets across Texas. And so my hometown of Dallas where my parents can terrestrially listen to me on eleven ninety am. And also San Antonio, fun town, great city. What's up twelve hundred WAI. I do, thank you, and that's nice to have you guys part of the family. I'm hearing a lot from you and some really nice comments. You guys are very sweet. I'm getting for Clymped. Two or three weeks ago, I was, I was, I was playing a game. I like playing the over undergame and I was playing the over a under game on the Equifax. Anybody heard of Equifax. Equifax had a breach and this is where you know, you check your your credit and everything was last year or two, and the government made them settle with most everybody who was affected in anybody who put a request in to get money back, and I think Equifax in the US court settled that Equifax would have to pay four hundred and twenty five million dollars divided among everybody who put in a claim. And I've I've played these before. You know, Apple does this oh, we have to pay out one hundred million dollars and you end up getting about fourteen tents. So anyway, four hundred twenty five million dollars months ago, and you can't do it anymore because my information was actually breached, and I put an acclaim and I guessed, guessed the over under was it like fourteen dollars and ten cents or something like that? Well, guess what I got an email? I got an email man, and it did I know exactly? They told me how much I got? Any guesses? Four hundred twenty five million dollars goes out to the folks of the United States whose information and Equifax credit was was hatched. Yes, sir, if anybody wants coke zero and maybe a coffee, my twenty one dollars in nineteen, well got juke covered twenty one nineteen. Not only did I get twenty one nineteen. I don't get that in cash. I don't get that in check. Oh no, they email me a prepaid CARDO people, I'm protecting my phone baby right now because in my Google wallet, I gots me a prepaid card for twenty one bones and nineteen cents. It's how I roll life. Is fair, people, life is absolutely fair. How cool is that? Well? I was closed? All right? Well we got three four six two nine te x A N. That's the phone number here, three four six twenty nine texts in you're gonna call if someone's gonna pick up, don't say hello. If if you don't hear anybody, it's a voicemail, leave a voicemail. We have the right to actually to play it. But we also read your you know what we read. We read your emails. We absolutely read your emails, and you know what. Let's start with one because somebody has sent me a little something to Michael Garfield Didiheartmedia dot com.
Speaker 3: You've got mail.
Speaker 2: This one comes in from Jonah. Jonah is in Bernie, Texas. What's up there? You go one of our newer markets. Thank you for tuning in. Jonah says, hey, dear Michael, I actually listened to you on app and I've heard you for many, many years. I asked you a question years ago about a router, and you talked to me about this Mesh system router that apparently use. I got one and it works.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking of upgrading mine right now because it's a few years old. And I want to see what your recommendation is or is there a place in my house that I may want to relocate it to to get me higher speeds because it doesn't seem that my speed of the Internet transfer is high enough. What are your thoughts level? Listen to your show, glad you're here on WAI. Well, there you go. Mesh routers, Well, it's a mesh router is a type of Wi Fi router? All right, And we know what Wi Fi is. Odds are you have a Wi Fi router at home that you either buy maybe you rent from your Internet service provider. But the routers themselves, they're not all the prettiest gadget to look at. Sometimes you hide it in a corner, maybe in a closet where people don't sit there and look at it. But then again, there's another type of system. There's a mesh system. And the easiest way for me to describe what a mesh system, it's a multi point system. Here's my analogy. This is how the cell phone industry works. You know what a cell phone tower looks like When you're driving around anywhere in this country of the world, you're on the phone. What's happening is your phone is connecting to the nearest cell phone tower wherever you are. But as you keep driving down the road and highway, that cell phone tower hands off your call to the next cell phone tower and to the next one to make it close. What that does that cell phone tower, it really is like a repeater from the various self data network. That's what a mesh system is. In your house, there is a Wi Fi router where the Internet comes in and it's throwing out a signal to this little tiny repeater that sometimes you can have two, three, four of them around your home and it bounces off these and it makes this signal stronger. Yes, it could be called a bridge, but now they're called mesh system because if you close your eyes and pretend like you're in a tom Cruise Sneaky, you know, you know movie or something like Mission Impossible, there's this imagine a mesh system overlapping signals and airwaves that is just meshing and covering every single aspect of your home inside and out, and so you've got constant coverage. That's why mesh systems work well. I like them a lot. I have a mesh system and I've tested a lot of these things. They're multi devices. Sometimes you can plug these things into directly into the outlet on the wall. Sometimes they're the same color. You really can't see these things. But if you've got a two level, three level house, you've got a large outside your back and you can't get the signal up. Try a mesh system. You can get these from one hundred and twenty five, two hundred, two hundred and fifty dollars. Really no way reason to go whether two hundred and fifty dollars or so. There's a lot of them. But you got a good question, Jonah, do you actually need a new mess system? Because Number one, when you position a router in your home or office or somewhere, you really need to think about where you're placing it. You want to consider where that router, where those satellite extenders are. Okay, some of the guidelines move your main router. First things First, you want the main router in your setup to be located as centrally in your home as possible. That's the same approach you're going to take with you even just have a single router. Routers put out a Wi Fi signal in all directions. So placing your router in essential location within your home. It's going to make the most out of your connection. If you hide it in the closet, it's that signal has a lot farther to go. It's got to go through your clothes, it's got to go through a door. It may be in the back of your house, through a bedroom. To even get out of your house, then you've got a brick wall, and that thing is very tough going to going through brick walls too. In terms of the signal mesh systems, same thing. The strength of the connection near your extenders is largely going to depend on the strength of the incoming signal from that main router. So the stronger connection between those two, it's going to ensure you're hitting the fastest Wi Fi. Now, your options for moving the roder may seem limited by that location of your modem and the incoming wiring for your home's Internet connection. Maybe you get an extra long ethernet and cable that could come in handy. It could move it away. Don't laugh. Even moving your router one two, three, four feet away from where it is may help. Try not to keep it directly to your computer, Try not to keep it near a microwave. Try not to keep it next to a baby monitor because sometimes those frequency can frequencies can overlap. You'd be amazed how stronger or how weaker actually, depending on where you move it, that your router is going to work. So a good rule of thumb keep it the way. Keep the devices in your mess set up no more than two rooms away from each other. It's gonna vary from home to home. Furniture that can also block Wi Fi signals too. Try not put anything bulky. Don't put like the you know, any China cabinets, maybe not like a big old sofa or something like that. Avoid dead zones. I told you to watch out for closets, right, don't put a dead zone. Finally, how do you tell run a speed test? You know there's diagnostic tools in your messages routers app right, but really, there are so many free services online that you could do. I think one's called speed test dot net or something like that, totally free. Go stand in a certain part of your house and hit this and hit a button. You're gonna wait thirty seconds. Maybe it's gonna download something and it'll show you how fast, how many megabits, how many gigabits. For second, your speed is keep moving your router around, stay in your same place, and try that test again. And when you find one of the fastest, if not the fastest place, then keep it there. There you go, and let me give you it real quickly. But we've got a break before I give you a few brands. I use Amplify, a m P L I Fi Amplify. I use that for a while. It's good. There's a lot of good just as good ones, if not better ones. TP Link, net Gear Link, Sis makes a nice one. EO E E R O d Link. They've long made routers too, Aris A R R I S they make those things too. Do some research. Maybe this is something you want to return right now that you got for Christmas, Honika, that you don't want, but you know what, you got more and more people using your wifie. You got kids there, You want a strong Wi Fi network and you should be set to go. So I hope that answers Jonah, Thank you so much for your question. Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com. Just a few more segments when we come back. What I expect to see at the Consumer Electronics Show and oh by the way. I saw something at CES last year. It was a TV. These TVs that you think we don't need that TV? What does it do now that other TVs can't? Well, it just came out and boy does this one have a price tag? Pretty much you could choose to have a television or a very nice automobile. I'll tell you about that on the side. Yeh's could be more secondents left in this year of the high tech texting the show Michael Garfield, thank you for tuning in. Happy uh hope you had a really nice Christmas? I really do and happy Honka. So technically, well, it depends on when you're listening. And we got maybe what the third or the fourth night light? Those candles Honika very late this year, which means you still have time to get something you don't want. Are you people celebrating who celebrated Christmas? You got your gift, man, you better live with it or you better call in and let me know. Oh man, Michael, I need to return this day. I got I got the gift for see what do I what should I get? I can do that too. I can tell you something else to get. Three four six twenty nine, Texan anybody. I guess the holiday movies are over right now. It took me almost it took the last minute because my favorite holiday is love, actually absolutely love it. I generally see it a few times each season before this week started. I don't think I saw it once, but I ended up seeing at least I hit it three times. All I want for Christmas is it shut up. I love that movie. I didn't see Charlie Brown this year. Saw Home Alone. I saw Home Alone, too, lost in New York a few times, didn't find Home Alone, saw post alone. I what else did I see? I didn't see. I saw Fred Claus was on. I seemed like ten minutes in the movie. I didn't get into Fred Claus. Didn't see I saw Rudolph okay good, Rudolph is always good. Didn't see The Year with Out of Santa Claus. I mean, I guess that's it, man, I guess I have to wait or I can actually go on YouTube and see the whole thing. I did see a movie, though, now I could talk about this right now. I saw a movie at the beginning of December, and I was under embargo not to give it a review until it came out Christmas is here. It opened Christmas Day. Did anybody see A Complete Unknown? That's the new movie about Bob Dylan starring Timothy Shanna may So. I saw that movie. And I get to see a lot of media screening movies, just like I get, you know, when I review a lot of products I am sometimes I'm under embargo. I cannot talk about it, to read about a post about it, yap about it until the embargo lifts. Well, the same thing. I saw this in early December weeks ago, and I've been sitting on it. It is a fantastic It's an unbelievable movie. And I'm gonna say this. I am not a Bob Dylan fan, never as much as a music fan I am. I never got into Dylan. I really don't like folk music. But what Timothy shallow May did, and I didn't even know much about Timothy shallow May never so Wonka Ornither or Doune or whatever they did do, he literally transformed himself. I mean, he was al Pacino into Scarface, he was Val Kilmer into Jim Morrison the Doors. He was I mean, unbelievable. It did, it was great. I think he did his own singing too, It's worth it, especially if you're Dylan fan. A little long, very heavy on the Dylan songs, which I didn't know a lot of them, but it was it was good. I really really like it. So no, there's my two cents on that three four six, twenty eight nine Texan. Any other movies or shows that I need to download? I am here for I promised you this Apple. You're gonna learn that I don't talk about Apple a lot. I'm more of an Android. Yeah, what an away. Apple's trying to get into these smart smart home business stronger and stronger. There's a latest development, and as with anything with Apple, it's all rumor. You never know. Rumor. They're reportedly we're apparently their Apple is going after the ring doorbell. Apple is reportedly working on a smart doorbell wait for it, that unlocks for household members that it recognizes, and it's going to use allegedly advanced facial recognition technology that wirelessly connects to a dead boat lock. The doorbell would unlock the door for people it recognizes, So it's kind of like face ID on your iPhone. Now, if this is coming, it ain't gonna be for another year or so. But when I heard about this. I'm like, okay, it makes sense because it's aligning with Apple's vision to deepen its footprint in this smart home market, because Apple has long lag behind Google and Amazon in that smart home market. Many how many of you have the Amazon Echo? How many you have a Google Nest? I got both of them, I've got right now. I got a Google door Bell, I've got one two, I got two Amazon Nests. I got three to four Google Nests and Echoes and there everywhere there are. But listen, to be fair, there are already smart locks that use facial recognition. But Apple is like, ooh, well, we have great commitment to user privacy. We're not going to sell it to anybody else. I think. I also heard they're developing an in home security camera to rival Google, Nest, Amazon Ring and whatever. But I think a move if they do this into the security camera market can also boost the adoption of their iCloud subscriptions and things like that. So we shall see. I know, I guarantee I will not see that at SES. Apple does nothing at the Consumer Electronics Show zero. They always have their own events. They always launched whatever they want, So I can't tell you about that, but there was a massive smart home section. I'm going to come back with everything from smart toilet, smart refrigerator, smart dishwashers, smart cameras, and smart Who knows every year I get something else, and so I will bring those back. Maybe maybe companies will mail them to me and they'll say, Michael, you've got a nice listener base. You've got a lot of followers on your Instagram. Why don't you give something away. I'm like, I will, but you got to follow me on Instagram. My men, my men and women, my kids listening right now. High Tech Texan spell the whole thing out I expect right now. I want people popping on follow, follow, follow Instagram. They're funny. I'd make sure little funny videos I do contesting it is high tech t e X A N SO. I think home the home technology market is going to be a big thing. I'm going to see in Vegas in about a week and a half for my twenty third Consumer Electronics Show. I will be broadcasting radio show segments, TV snippets from out there. Another reason to follow me on x high tech textent on Instagram, High Tech Texan. I'm going to see a lot of vehicles the years ago CES has been I'm a de facto automobile show. Obviously, Yes, a lot of electric vehicles, a lot of drones, drone taxis. They're going to have all these things that make it look like, oh, this thing is out and about right now. Like I sat in a taxi with like a quad copter last year. This thing is on it. It's neat. But this is so work on the design drawing board. My kids are there, My kids' kids may not even you know, have any of these things. And so I'll see a lot of stuff in the automobile industry and AI. I think those are the two letters that are going to be very prevalent out there. And there's other two letters too. There's the two letters that have always been prevalent with Kidsumer Electronics show, and that is TV, as in televisions now. When I first went out twenty whatever years ago, that was the advent of digital TV and high definition TV. This is where the new TVs are rolled out. This is where rollable TVs are rolled out. That's right. Some manufacturers actually make rollable They roll in and scroll up and you don't even see them until you need a button and they roll out and they you've got a TV everything. There's one hundred and twenty inch TVs, there's projection TVs, there's TVs you don't need. There was a TV the size of a king size mattress back in the day. It sold for one hundred thousand dollars of them. Can you not? Well? Last year one of the most sought after TVs was just hitting the market, but we didn't know if it was actually going to come through. Well, it took almost a year. A year, It took a year because they just went on the market. LG a manufacturer of many things, including TVs. They just came out with it's called the signature OLED T O LED, which is O lead, which is organic light emitting diode, which no one cares about. This looks like it came out of the Minority Report. If you remember that great Tom Cruise movie where you could you know, you take your finger in the glove and you start moving things on the screen. Well anyway, but you can also see through it. It was unveiled. It's a seventy seven inch display. It's a great TV four K video but with a flick of a button, it could be transparent. YEP, it's like a see through pane of glass that then transforms into a high resolution video display. So now you're asking why in the world do I want this? Very few scenarios. Generally, if you hang a If your high definition TV is hanging on the wall right now, it's hanging above your fireplace, who cares if it's transparent? What are you going to see the wall behind it? Well, pretty much the reason that you want something if you place your TV somewhere in front of a window. Maybe you live in a condo, maybe you live in a high rise, and the only place to put it is in front of a window, but you don't want the window to be blocked. You want to see what's going on out the window. You could place something like this in front of the window, and when the TV is off, you make it transparent. Now you can see straight through. Oh good. Part two? Would you spend? You ready for this? Over under? You got ten seconds? How much would you spend the LG signature LEDT Would you spend sixty thousand dollars on it? Or would you like to pitch a kid through college or maybe buy a car? Yep, unbelievable. It's a lot of money. Give it a year, it'll be six hundred dollars. No, I'm kiding, it's that conna be that cheap. But this is the stuff that that I see a sees man. It's crazy. Who knows what I'm gonna see this year? Maybe a foldable TV that fits in the pall in your hand but it folds out into one hundred and twenty inch TV. We shall see, you will hear, you will see what if you follow me on Instagram. One more segment to go this year, as we wind up and pack up the bags for twenty twenty four, don't go even but that music comes the beginning of the final segment of the final show of twenty twenty four marks the twenty third year I've been doing this high tech text in program most all of it, actually all of it in Houston on k PARC nine to fifty am. And really this was it was kind of a neat little banner year. Certainly towards the end of the year for me, our program director directors here at I Heart they expanded it. They said, Garth, you've been doing You've been doing it a long time. You haven't been kicked out of the airways by the FCC yet let's just go. You throw you on WAI twelve hundred in San Antonio and kay FNX eleven ninety the Mighty Mighty eleven ninety in Dallas for worth. It's neat My hometown is in Dallas where I grew up. Parents, still their family, a lot of friends. Now they can hear my wonderful voice that is doing this for twenty years that they grew up with. Still got my hair, People's at my age. I still got my hair and I'm flying it in Dallas. It's really cool. Shout out to all my high school are still there w T white longhorns in Dallas. That's where I went to high school. So many friends. It's a banner year or two on other fronts for me personally. Continue to got my health. I dropped a good amount of weight, not that I really needed to, but I picked up I'm a longtime marathon runner. I started getting into stationery biking, which helps my knees and it's a whole different heart rate thing. And you know, I just even made sure my diet was even better. Dropped a good amount of weight, spent most of my money this year on my tailor in buying new clothes, which I was very proud of. Too. Into the year comes around, I'm doing much more television here in Houston. We have a radio. We have a TV show called Great Day Houston on the Technist station, and I believe there's a Technist station in Dallas, channel eight WFAA. I think there's a Technist station in San Antonio? Is that even WAI TV? I can't be sure. It's the morning show and I have been a correspondent for a while. I got to sit in and fill in his host not too long ago, and I hope to keep that up again. Slap a little bakeup on me, and I guess maybe I don't know, maybe the TV station channel eleven CBS here uses AI to make me look even younger. Who know, who knows? But it was fun alas I have three wonderful kids still and I'm still single, so I got well. Almost everything went right this year. Maybe twenty twenty five will be different neither. Nonetheless, whatever situation you are in, wherever you are, however you're living, I hope twenty twenty four was great. I hope it was prosperous. But let's hope twenty twenty five is going to be better. It's going to hope world peace is going to be I hope the economy. Let's hope our health situation and diseases and everything just go by the wayside. We don't know. We are just fighting and we're hanging on to the world as we know it. But hopefully we're going I'm gonna be here with you for the ride, and so I do appreciate that. Not gonna get out the phone number anymore. I don't think we have any more time for calls going through some of the other last you know emails over here, Michael. Hey, this is from Jessica. Jessica is in Dallas, North Dallas. Hey, Michael, we just first picked you up two weeks ago. Great hereing you in Dallas. Didn't know you were actually from Dallas because I've heard you on iHeart Radio before. Look forward to what you're going to see at the Consumer Electronics Show. I always laugh at all the crazy most expensive things that come out and never buy it, but I do trust your opinion and anxious to see what you say from Vegas. Thank you so much. I was very nice of you Jessica about that. Michael, Is this the year you're going to finally get the iPhone and suck it up. I know you long have been an Android phone. What do you think I am probably gonna mind. I'm gonna make a bold prediction that I am not going to switch to the iPhone again. I've had one iPhone. I've had the very first iPhone. I was the first person to buy Buy I bought it when it was launched in Houston way back in two thousand. It was June twenty seven, teen twenty eight, two thousand and seven. I believe I was the first person in line at the AT and T store in Houston. At because it was exclusively for the first five years iPhones were only sold on the AT and T network. I paid six hundred dollars for it. I wanted to try it. It was, without of doubt, a paradigm shift. It was glass, it had no physical buttons. It was wonderful, and from then on I went back to Android. I'm an Android, honk. I get to try I have at any given time. I've probably got five, six seven different androids from many many difff come buddies. I've got two androids I am holding right now that are under embargo. I told you what an embargo was. I signed a lot of things where I can play with things, but I can't say anything. And so give me about another week, week and a half and I can tell you which new androids I'm playing with and they're prett day prettday cool. So we can do that. So not really gonna gonna get into the iPhones. Michael, I heard you ragging on EV. Oh, come on, I wasn't. I guess what I was ragging on EV's I heard you talking about electric vehicle cars now were number one. If somebody gave you an electric vehicle, would you drive it? Oh it's a good question. If someone gave me an EV, I would drive it. But I would absolutely make it my second car. If you've listened, If if you're just douning in, let me kind of give you a little something to kill some more time. Go back and listen to our number one of my show. When we're done, Callum who make sure that the show goes on all the stations, and he puts it on the bird and puts it on the podcast. Go to iHeartRadio dot com look for high Tech text and the spell or Michael Garfield. Listen to our number one because I went not one, but two segments with a story. I did a two segment month. This is about It's about a fifteen minute story of this past week of me driving an electric vehicle from Houston to Lake Charles, Louisiana and almost in pretty much freaking out because I couldn't find an electric charger. I finally found one. That is one top reason of why I personally personally will not buy an EV. Again, there's no other adult in my house, not married. I only have one car I test to. I have a ton of other cars. Answer the question if somebody gave me an EV, yeah, I would drive it. I would make sure that it is my huts, it around town. I'd go from my house to h g B. I would just maybe go to the office, maybe go to the gym. That's it. But if I'm going I'm going up to Big D. I'm going to San Antonio to meet and greet and talk to all your listeners out there. Ain no way I'm even getting behind in EV. Just it's not for me. I'm too ADHD, I have arrange anxiety. It's just absolutely not going to work. So there's really nothing else I can say about that. So it's when I talk to wrap everything up. Either you're new to the show, these are my opinions, and these opinions are expressed on what I like. I have lived almost six decades. I actually have I loved six decades. I came close to I've always been a consumer. I love going to the grocery store. I love looking at the shopping aisles. I love looking at colors. I know you know how these companies market to people, those serial companies, to car companies, to the soda companies, to the clothing companies. I know what's good. I know it's bad. I like to think I know some false advertising of what things. Is this really going to change your life or not. I used to work on used to be on QVC. My job was to see the good things in life, why this product can potentially change your life and make it better for you. I look at products a little differ than you do, and I will give you my opinion. I will give you my opinion of a great product, and if I find one just as good in the same category but save you money, I'm leading with that one. That's the way Michael Garfield rolls. And if you're new to this we're gonna have some fun. So with that, I do want to thank my big boss is Eddie Martini, who's the regional president, the big dog of iHeart Radio down here in the southern part of the United States, Texas. To my big boss who sits behind that in the carpeted office, pushes some buttons and tells people what's going on. But he was the opportunity to give me a much larger audience in Texas this year. Thank you also to Big Brian Erickson Callum read. Without you, this show could not be done. He pushes the buttons every day. All my friends Ralph Garcia, Deborah Duncan, and the folks at Channel eleven CBS. We're am on Greek Day Houston and everything I do. Thank you so much. My kids they don't listen justin Josh and Adam. They're doing their own little influencer thing and they don't even think about me and the brother. But they don't give me tips. I need more tips from these kids. More importantly, I have listenings. I have more listeners now in three of the largest cities in the United States of America, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, and we love you I'm gonna leeg you lead. Happy New Year, enjoy the rest of Hunter Magle talk, hook them Horn. Maybe next year is the Cowboys year that these are my loves too. My name is Michael Paulkiller. This is why I think that's the show and we will talk to you next year. On the half of everybody, My show and my year are over.