Speaker 1: Podsave America is brought to you by Simply Safe. Everything's more expensive in twenty twenty six, but peace of mind shouldn't be simply say. It starts at about a dollar a day without a long term contract. There's a reason they were named best home security system of twenty twenty six. It actually works for regular people, not just the elites. Tommy Simply Safe as for regular folks like John Lovett, that's right, Assault of the Earth folks, set one up himself with ordinary American. It's like John Lovett, that's right, set it up himself. No drilling with simply say, Ie, you can customize your system to fit your needs. Then it ships fast directly to your door. The app guide it set up is simple and there's no drilling required.
Speaker 2: He's very lonely at that time. It's true a dry spell.
Speaker 1: It's a setting up the simply save and then he was done for the day. The drilling, no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras. In twenty four to seven, professional Monitoring. It's back by Simply Saves twenty four seven professional monitoring agents who dispatch emergency help when you need it. Over five million people value and trust Simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simply Safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off. It's simply safe dot com slash crooked. There's no safe like simply Safe. Welcome to Applied Save America.
Speaker 3: I'm John Favreum, I'm Dan Feiffer.
Speaker 1: On today's show, We're going to talk about how Donald Trump's revenge tour is backfiring in a way that just about everybody could have predicted, with everything from his ballroom funding to his insurrectionist slush funds now in Jeopardy. We'll also talk about how Trump may have made things even worse for US Party with his endorsement of Ken Paxton over John Cornyn in Texas, and then, just to prove that Republicans aren't the only ones stepping on rakes, we'll talk about the long awaited release of the twenty twenty four DNC autopsy and whether Ken Martin's job as DNC chair is in jeopardy. We'll also talk about new results from this week's New York Times poll focused on what Democratic voters want from the Democratic Party. Then you'll hear Tommy's interview with California gubernatorial candidate Matt Mahon, and finally we'll explore the question none of us thought we'd have to ask, is Donald Trump gonna skip his son's wedding? Tune in to find out before we start. Go ahead and subscribe to Friends of the Pod. Become a Cricket subscriber if you haven't already, because you get ad free episodes of all of these pods that you love and listen to. You get access to all of our excellent Substeck newsletter. You get access to subscriber only podcasts that you're missing out on if you're not a subscriber, like Dan's Polarcoaster podcast where he dives deep into polls, and Podzeve America Only Friends our extra secret episode of Potze of America that we do every other week, so check it out. And you also get to support pro democracy independent media, in this case US crooked media, so Crooked Dot com slash friends, go subscribe today. All right, let's get to the news. It seems like just yesterday, because it was that the White House warned us to never again doubt Donald Trump's political power, and certain journalists proclaimed an incredible few weeks for the president's political operation. This is all because Trump's handpicked primary challengers defeated Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy in Kentucky Congressman Thomas Massey. Well, twenty four hours later, here's a text from a Republican senator to punch Bowl News. Quote. Our majority is melting down before our eyes. So what happened? What happened? Well, the Senate was supposed to be voting on Trump's bill to fund ICE, but then he also demanded one billion dollars for his ballroom, and he announced that he's stealing two billion dollars from taxpayers so that he can potentially hand out cash payments to January sixth rioters who almost killed police officers, and basically anyone else he thinks has been mistreated by the justice system. Neither of these things sat very well with some Republicans, including people like Bill Cassidy, whose career Trump just ended, and after a reportedly tense meeting about the insurrection of slush fund with Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, where some Republicans proposed restrictions on the slush fund sent a majority. Leader John Thune canceled the vote entirely and told everyone to go home until June. Here's Blanche and JD. Vance earlier in the week, refusing to rule out taxpayer funded payouts for violent insurrectionists.
Speaker 3: You know who never.
Speaker 1: Ever gets an ounce of sympathy when it comes to disproportionate sentencing is people who voted for Donald Trump and participated in the January sixth protest.
Speaker 4: Well, individuals who assaulted Capitol Hill police officers be eligible for this fund.
Speaker 2: Well, as it makes plain, any just let.
Speaker 4: Me know if they're eligible for the fund.
Speaker 3: As as as was made plain yesterday, anybody in this country is eligible to apply.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna submit this proposal to any federal judge or there is no judge, any independent authority.
Speaker 2: That an independent What does that mean an independent authority?
Speaker 4: Well, it means not somebody who's getting to pick five of the members. Who is the president's former personal attorney. That would be somebody who would be independent on the acting attorney general. Okay, the fact that I used to be President Trump's lawyer is just a fact.
Speaker 2: But I'm the acting attorney general.
Speaker 4: So don't say the president's former personal lawyer will do something the acting attorney general will do. Sister Attorney general, you are acting today like the president's personal attorney. And that's the whole problem.
Speaker 3: That's the good shit right there.
Speaker 1: It's a good shit. What a winer. Uh So, after Senate Republicans were in revolts and the majority of melting down, Trump was asked about it in the Oval on Thursday. Here's what he said, Are you losing control on the Senate Center?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I really don't know.
Speaker 2: I can tell you.
Speaker 3: I only do what's right.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't need money for the ball and you're not making a gift to the ballroom. He's the biggest uh misreporting that I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll dig into that in a little bit. An incredible week for Trump's political operation, Dan, It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Incredible, truly unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Uh, let's start with the slush fund. You and I talked about this on last Friday's episode, and we talked about how Trump potentially settling the IRS lawsuit by personally pocketing billions in taxpayer dollars was maybe the worst political move we could imagine. And then they did the slush fund right as we were finishing the recording, so we only briefly get to talk about it. What do you think? What do you think about the political move of instead of Trump just pocketing the cash, deciding to put it in a fund with no accountability whatsoever so they can secretly pay out whoever they'd like.
Speaker 3: Look, these brilliant fucking geniuses and the Trump political team, the same ones who spent twenty million dollars to defeat a congress Republican congressman a district that Trump won by thirty five points, really figured this one out. So instead of giving billions of dollars to one criminal, they're going to give one point seven to seven six billion, which is so clever to an untold number of criminals, many of whom committed violent offenses, assaulting the Capitol and assaulting police officers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it is.
Speaker 3: It is a move so bad that even Republican senators can figure out that it's bad politically.
Speaker 1: Just so, I mean, part of this is it's such a politically bad move that I've been and shocked by it. I've been laughing about it because how could you be so stupid. It's fun watching the Republicans freak out about this and everything fall apart. But NPR did a story about it where they started going through some of the potential January sixth convicted felons or people who were going to be on trial until Trump pardoned them, to talk about how this would play out. This guy, Jake Lang, he admitted to using a bat to attack police. He was on trial for assault when Trump pardoned him. He's now a white power activist who's on video saying the N word and giving Nazi salutes. When NPR called to confirm that he plans to apply for a payout, which he did, he confirmed it. He answered the phone Jake Lang's office America's newest billionaire, and he said that the message. He told NPR that the message Trump was sending what the fund is. And this is a quote from the insurrectionist who beat police officers with a bat. Quote. If you do the right thing in the face of evil, you will be rewarded for your bravery and patriotism. That's what's happening there. That's what's happening. Another January sixth rider, Andrew Paul Johnson is currently serving a life sentence in prison for sexually abusing two children who he tried to keep quiet by promising them quote my Trump bucks that he expected to get as part of a restitution fund. And then that exchange we watch between Van Holland and Blanche. Van Hollend was asking about that case and asking Blanche to rule out that that fucking guy could apply for a payout from this slush fund. And you heard Blanche like he just he won't rule it out.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's pretty clear what happened here is Trump wanted his money. I think someone was able to convince him that him directly taking the money was probably a bridge too far politically, and plus he's made so many other billions from so many other crooked schemes that he could take a pass on this one. But he obviously wasn't going to let it go. And they were facing this deadline because if they didn't, because there's a quartered post deadline. So right the day before the court post deadline, they hatched together a poorly thought out plan that they thought would appeal to Trump, right, it's not as bad as Trump getting the money, although that is actually debatable, but would you know, it would still fit with his need for revenge, and it's print's like perfect Trump like these people, these are my people. I'm gonna help my people. I'm going to hook up my people. And they didn't think through any of the consequences. They just assumed every public would be for it. And they, as you said, they stepped on a rake, like an very obvious, very clear, very politically damaging rake. But they did it because they're kind of morons.
Speaker 1: And there's no oversight, no accountability over this fund whatsoever. We may never know who they pay, how much they pay them, who applies, who gets who gets accepted into this fucking slush fund, who gets denied, none of that because Trump picks the people on the board, except for one gets appointed by Congress, who you know, he can find a lackey in Congress to give him whoever he wants. Trump can fire them at any time. The report is not required to be released to the public in any way, shape or form. So the whole thing is just a fucking scam. And it seems like it's I mean I guess two January sixth police officers file the lawsuit to try to stop this, But there are are going to be I guess that's the best case they can make for standing right because they were police officers harmed in this. But the challenge is to have like who has standing to sue on this and the fact that it is a It is legal because Congress passed a law to give the Justice Department basically an unlimited fund for restitution in the event that people sue the US government, and then the Justice Department would have to pay it out, which is like, yeah, of course, right, if someone sues the federal government and they and they win, the federal government has to get the money from somewhere to pay them out. But I don't think anyone envisioned that the fund would be used in this way.
Speaker 3: Nope, just driving a corrupt truck through another giant loophole in our system.
Speaker 1: Here's a statement on the on the fund. So the nation's top law enforcement official is asking for a slush fund to pay people who assault cops. Utterly stupid, morally wrong. Take your pick. Guess who that came from.
Speaker 3: Dan, I think I know the answer, So I'm supposed to pretend like, I don't know that was that a resistance Democrat? Was that someone on MS? Now? Was that?
Speaker 1: Was? That?
Speaker 3: Was that? On Wednesday's episode of Only Friends with You and Tommy, it was subscribe now, Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 1: Mitch McConnell, Well, Mitch, the reason we're in this place, by the way, is because of you. Nope, you would just just had the courage that could have could have been said, could have convicted him after January's sixth, and then none of these riders would be getting any money. How likely do you think it is that Congress will impose some kind of restrictions on the slush fund? Legislation was introduced today Thursday to ban the entire slush fund, not restrictions, just ban it was That was by introduced by Democrat Tom Swazi in the House and Republican Brian Fitzpatrick, who's in a swing district in Pennsylvania and who Trump just threatened yesterday with a primary challenge in response to a question he didn't like from Fitzpatrick's fiance. Fox News reporter Jackie Heiner.
Speaker 3: Well, it's really clever of Trump to threaten a primary challenge on Wednesday when the primary was Tuesday, which is also notable that all of a sudden, Brian Fitzpatrick has found his courage the day after his primary.
Speaker 1: Yeah do you think, I mean, I know that we were like not scheduled talking about this. But on that note, like I do wonder if a lot like we're suddenly going to see an outbreak of courage among Republicans now that most of the primaries have passed.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be an interesting political calculus. Like someone like Fitzpatrick, who is in he might be the most vulnerable Republican in the country, or.
Speaker 1: Definitely he is.
Speaker 3: He he is up there. We got some people who have been redistricted out of existence, but of the people who remain in their previous district, he's quite vulnerable. And but there is this challenge for Republicans which is, on one hand, Trump attacking you would seem favorable, like just hit if I was Fitzpatrick, I would think in that district, I think about taking the the footage of Trump saying that against all the time to put it in an ad most But the challenge is they also need Republican turnout, and if Trump is trashing you, are that people going to turn out for you, and that's the that's the real question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a good point. Well, so then what do you think about getting restrictions on this slush fund, because it does seem like they're going for restrictions in this ice funding bill, which is reconciliation, which means that you would only need, you know, fifty one votes in the Senate.
Speaker 3: There's two things happening here. One is, as we mentioned, the Republicans recognize this is terrible politics and they don't want to vote for it, and they know how bad it is. They feel the same way about the ballroom, which were talking about a second. The other thing that's happening in the Senate is these people are just pissed a Trump like he took out Tom Tillis, and you know, Tom Tillis retired rather than face a primary challenge. But Roy Cooper is much more likely the next Senator of North Carolina because he's running against a anonymous RNC chair that Trump installed as the nominee. They took out Bill Cassidy. He just endorsed, as we'll talk about, just endorsed against John Cornan, the number two person in the Senate for Republicans, and so he's basically taking out other people. And so they're both pissed, like on this personal level that he keeps taking out their friends, but they're also he's making in almost all these cases, he's making it less likely they keep the majority. And so I think they're starting to get restive here and are looking for some place to show that they have some measure of spine. Now, are the restrictions that are going to put in be going to likely be pretty weak?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's that's the case. But I would be surprised. I would be surprised. And no one's ever made a lot of money betting on correstionional Republicans to do something brave, But I would be surprised if this bill passed without some measure of something that at least is a putative fig leave of restriction on the slush fund.
Speaker 1: The challenge here is I don't think they get any They're not going to get any Democratic votes for it, right, even though even though Democrats would want to ban this if it goes in the ice funding bill, the restrictions, Democrats aren't going to vote for the Ice.
Speaker 3: Well, you'll get it on the amendment in the in the voterama to put.
Speaker 1: Oh, so Democrats can get it in there and then not vote again. Okay, I just.
Speaker 3: Way outstripped my expertise on Senate budget procedure. But I think that's right.
Speaker 1: I think that's good enough. That's good enough for this episode.
Speaker 2: Today's show is sponsored by Strawberry dot Me. You think of best switching jobs, maybe ask yourself these questions. Am I growing or just repeating the same experience over and over again? It's a tough question to ask doing this. Do I feel energized by my work obviously? Or am I constantly drained and counting the hours until it's over?
Speaker 1: Can I do both?
Speaker 2: Do I know what my next career move should be?
Speaker 1: Or am I just.
Speaker 2: Hoping something better shows up?
Speaker 1: And I definitely don't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hard one. Am I going to stay here for another year? Will I be proud of my progress or regret staying comfortable?
Speaker 1: I'm not comfortable.
Speaker 2: Interesting. These are tough questions said we were comfortable. If you think it might be time for a change, you should talk to a career coach. Through Strawberry dot Me. The coaches work with you one on one to understand your strengths, identify your gaps, and build a clear roadmap towards a career you're actually excited about, because the bigger risk isn't making the wrong move staying stuck without a plan. Take control of your future at Strawberry dot me slash Crooked Go today and get fifty percent off your first coaching session. That Strawberry dot me slash Crooked.
Speaker 1: Positive America is brought to you by Helix. We love Helix mattresses. I think all three of us have one, at least one. I now have many, and.
Speaker 2: They're very, very comfortable for kids. Everybody raves about it.
Speaker 1: Kids love it. I think my in laws have one. I've done a lot of Helix mattresses, no complaints yet, in fact, plenty of compliments, and they.
Speaker 2: Just mail us to your ass.
Speaker 1: Yes, crazy, and you take a sleep quiz and you figure out what the right Helix mattress for you is and it's fantastic. Helix makes buying a mattress easy. You take the Helix Sleep Quiz as I just said, and it will match you with the perfect mattress based on your personal preferences and sleep needs. Free shipping and seamless delivery. Helix DELIVERSI you mattress right to your door with free shipping in the US. The Happy with Helix guarantee offers a risk free customer first experience designed to ensure you're completely satisfied with your new mattress so you can rest easy with seamless returns and exchanges. Plus, Helix offers a one hundred and twenty nights sleep trial in limited lifetime warranty. Do you think anyone does like one hundred and nineteen nights and they send that mattress back?
Speaker 2: That would suck? It be funny, It'll be a funny bit.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, we're not saying that you can do that, but it is one hundred and twenty nights sleep.
Speaker 2: Truk right, that's fair true.
Speaker 1: How is your slipping an upgrade? Well, it's way more comfortable than the old one. And everyone who sleeps in our guest room and then our and our two boys, they're always like, I love I love my Helix mattress. It's so comfy. I had the best night of sleep.
Speaker 2: Damn right.
Speaker 1: Go to Helix sleep dot com slash cricket for twenty seven percent off site wide. That's helix sleep dot com slash crooked for twenty seven percent off site wide. This offer is exclusive to our listeners. Make sure you enter our show name after checkout so they know we sent you Helix, sleep dot com slash crooked. Next up, the billion dollars Trump wants for his ballroom, which he then just said he doesn't need. On Saturday, the Senate parliamentarian ruled that the money couldn't be included in the ICE funding bill because it doesn't comply with the Senate's budget rules. Trump then demanded that Republicans fire the parliamentarian, but Republicans decided to remove the funding instead of the parliamentarian, admitting that they didn't have the votes anyway, probably because enough of them realized that asking taxpayers to fork over a billion dollars for a ballroom no one asked for is fucking crazy. Trump meanwhile took reporters on a tour of the construction site this week, which is, you know, that's his passion, and he defended the project as a military necessity, and he said that the roof would be a drone port that protects all of Washington. Does he think it's is there like an iron dome? Over the White House now in Washington because of the because the that's what the ballroom is.
Speaker 3: He also announced how many stories deep the bunker would be, which is probably not a piece of information you just want to hand out to the public.
Speaker 1: No, No, is the ballroom in jeopardy, like does Trump? Trump then said he doesn't need the money. It seems like he wanted the money pretty badly, which is why he told them to fire the parliamentarian and is getting really pissed about this. Is he going to find a way to just steal the money from taxpayers like he's been doing now with this slush fund for insurrectionists, or maybe he just extorts more rich people with business before the government to just give donations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to say. I once again, it seems that no one in Congress wants to vote for a billion dollars for a ballroom, and they're going to truse Trump is trying to do the way I try to do it. Well, it's not really for the bar with the ballroom's paid for by all the rich people who were buying access in terms in exchange for the ballroom, but it's the security, the necessary security underneath the ballroom that is the cost a billion dollars. It's too late for that. It's the one billion dollar ball room. That's so everyone understands. It an actual impressive democratic messaging victory in this day and age. So we should applaud that. Maybe Elon Musk, fresh off the SpaceX IPO, comes in and gives a billion dollars to build the rest of it. But I don't know how they're going to get it. Doesn't seem like they're going to be able to get money out of Congress for this this year. No one wants to do this this close to the election. Maybe they can throw something into an end of the year deal after the election. I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: It seems hard and I don't think that. I think that the reason they asked for ask Congress for the money in the first place is they can't necessarily they can't use private donations to fund like services and security.
Speaker 3: But then that's as and southing. Before we did, I was gonna say, I mean, who do we let do we let Michael Dell pay our troops? Once?
Speaker 1: Did you see the news that he also said he doesn't need congressional approval to build his two hundred and fifty foot uh arc.
Speaker 3: I have to say I've tried.
Speaker 1: Really we're calling it an arch or an arc arch. I think it's an arch arch and it's an art like the Arctic. Yeah, sorry, yes it is. We got arches, we got ballrooms, we got Katari jets, we got I don't know, I've lost track, we got can't we got new Kennedy Centers.
Speaker 3: We have new marble arm rest of the Kennedy Center right energy on that new helipad.
Speaker 1: We got a new helipad coming, the Drone Port.
Speaker 3: I've tried really hard to not focus on the arch as you call it. On the arch just seems I mean, it seems crazy. I don't know it. I finally today, because we're doing this on the podcast, I finally looked at where the arch was going to be is in Virginia, right across the river.
Speaker 1: But it also, like the New York Times did a good like sort of AI rendering of of what the views would be like, and it kind of just like it blocks the view of the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery. It's like bigger than anything else in Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's stupid.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, if I was a it was a DC resident, I'd be fucking annoyed.
Speaker 3: But well, like no one's asking for it.
Speaker 1: I don't forget we forgot the reflect Yeah we are also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are repainting the reflecting pool once again at taxpayer dollars. I believe it's.
Speaker 1: Just it declining empire ship.
Speaker 3: It just he is obsessed with home renovation projects like this is like that is his true passion. He cannot be bothered with a He like stealing money, revenge an interior designed.
Speaker 1: It's like the most cartoonish version of corruption by like an aging dictator. He's just stealing money cats, you know, smash and grab anywhere he can. He's just putting gold everywhere, ensconced in his fucking DC home that he's turning into fucking Versailles on the Potomac, you know, pardoning all of his friends, punishing all of his enemies, doing nothing else, decomposing before our eyes.
Speaker 5: It's just like.
Speaker 1: It's fucking great. It's fucking bleak man. One more vote. Trump's having trouble with in part because he ended the careers of Republicans whose support he needs a measure that would force him to end the war in Iran. On Tuesday, the Senate finally voted to take up the War Powers resolution, with newly defeated Senator Bill Cassidy flipping to vote in favor. The resolution now moves to the House, where retiring main Democrat Jared Golden says he now plans to flip his vote in favor as well. And all this comes as Iran is reviewing the latest US peace proposal, which Trump says he'll give them a few days to do. He also said that the US and Iran are quote right on the borderline between war and peace, and that he's quote in no hurry to make a deal. Is the price of gas inches towards five dollars a gallon? What do you make of the latest developments in Iran and the and the shift of Republicans now being in favor of the War Powers resolution?
Speaker 3: Just the cycle. It's every week we wake up on Monday, there is a either a true social or an axios post with multiple sirens that tells us that we're on the verge of a deal. We are right there. They're circling around it. That reality lasts like five hours. Then we are on the verge of war. Trump is right, We really are on the verge of both. Then we are making more plans, we're threatening to bomb people, we're ending civilizations. And then at the moment right before the bombing is set to begin, things get tacoed and we are back to stalemate. And it's just We've been rinse and repeat of the cycle for weeks now.
Speaker 1: I will say that each with each and each new draft of the peace proposal looks less like peace and more like a meaningless extension of a ceasefire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this, yeah, the latest one is.
Speaker 1: The latest one is just like this will be like a memo that gives thirty days for peace negotiations, but like nothing happens within those, like the strait doesn't open in those thirty days. It's basically just where we are right now, but a more formal ceasefire for another thirty days.
Speaker 3: Well, what have they been doing for the last thirty days?
Speaker 1: I know what's different.
Speaker 3: I don't even understand what the point of the memo is. Theoretically, people are talking somewhere, right, People.
Speaker 1: Are talking somewhere. People are talking somewhere well, and it seems like the Iranians, of course, have every incentive to continue to kick the ball down the road without having to give anything up because they don't want to get bombed again. Because Trump keeps Echine closer to resuming just hostilities, and BB is reportedly pushing him towards that as well. Apparently there's a tense call between Trump and net and Yahoo where Trump was like, give piece a chance and uh and net Yah, who obviously was like, no, let's bomb the shit out of them, and so yeah, like, would I be would I be shocked if this time we actually get some kind of a deal this weekend? No, but I would be shocked if it was actually a meaningful peace deal that ended the hostilities.
Speaker 3: And actually, what do you think is more likely this weekend we take a step towards peace? And I'm not a bit not peace, but even like some like a memo days or something, or are we invade Cuba?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I think cub was highly more likely.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think peace. I think I mean, can I just say the memo? Yeah, I say memo, I say memo over Cuba.
Speaker 3: But when we're doing rapid response three hours after this uh REP response in the middle of its wedding about the Cuban.
Speaker 1: Invasion, yeah, they I will not be doing rapid response.
Speaker 3: The tom Tommy has to do. He's got to speak to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, well, you know what, we'll be at the bar. We can wave to mommy or we have all right, one other rake Trump stepped on this week that we got to talk about. You mentioned this. The President has endorsed scandal plagued Ken Paxton over John Cornyn in the Texas Senate primary runoff, much to the delight of Democrats in dismay of Senate Republicans. Trump called Cornyn quote a good man, but said that he wasn't there for him when he needed him when times were tough, and then he dubbed Paxton a true MAGA warrior who would presumably vote for all the ballroom funding and insurrection A payouts that Trump.
Speaker 3: Asked for in the Save Act.
Speaker 1: That's the big one, Save Act, right, we remember the Save Act we talked about forever and then that's just that's dead. Yeah, I guess to Ken Paxton would revive it in the next Congress runoff is Tuesday. What do you make of Trump's decision?
Speaker 3: What insane? A truly insane decision. It's in the immediate aftermath. Let's just go back in time. A couple of months to the Texas primary, which honestly feels like ten years ago, but Cornyn did better than anyone expected. The assumption was that Trump said he was going to make an endorsement. Everyone assumed he was endorsed Cornyn Paxton was going to have. If Trump had done that, Paxton would have probably had to drop out, his campaign would have dried up, and Cornyn would be the nominee. Instead, he invaded iron instead of focusing on this, dithered for a long time. Could have just stayed silent and then endorsed Ken Paxton with a week to goo, almost ensuring that Ken Paxton will be the nominee. Ken Paxton is by every measure less electable than John Cornyn. We've seen this in the polling. There is a slice of Republicans who will vote for Cornyn over Tall Rico, but will vote for Tall Rico over Paxton. And just like he is so like this is the example, he's so focused on vengeance that he decided to go after John Cornyn were already we already just talked about the the consequences in the Senate, and just even more practically like this day, I think there were I think the Cook Political Report moved this to lean Republican. They said they will if they will, they will if if if Paxton is the nominee. But so they probably still have advantages here. But the n RSC all the superbacks are gonna have to spend ungodly amounts of money in this race to try to just win a state they should see they should have already won all because Trump just could not help himself.
Speaker 1: Could you make a political argument? And I realized it wouldn't be a good one. It's not one that I favor. That it's possible John Cornyan would be a weaker candidate to Ken Paxxon because like the Trump, like the hardcore MAGA base would be pissed and maybe stay home if Cornyan was the nominee, And so you would sort of and you need turnout in a midterm Like is that is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Maybe we would have made that argument of Cornyon. We may make that argument corn wins the primary on Tuesday, so stay tuned, tune in next week next week's Buller Coaster. I think that argument is hard to support.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if you all the polling shows that Tallarico does better against Paxton than Cornyn, but only by a point or two in some of this polling, which in Texas could be everything, of course probably would be.
Speaker 3: Ever he's not winning by more than a pointer or two.
Speaker 1: FYI, right, right, right, But I thought that the delta between the two in the polling would be bigger than it has been now there haven't been that many polls, but you.
Speaker 3: Know, and then there's also in these polls there's you know, like ten to twelve percent undecided, and we have to look and see who makes up that undecided, but then decide if you are in Texas. I just I think that it's just it's like, let's not over complicate this. Ken Paxton is a man who is an absolute crucus serial adult are a fucking lunatic, and he's terrible at raising money.
Speaker 1: His own staff called the FBI on him, his own That to me is my that's my favorite things. Like how many people have their own staff called the FBI on him? No one here?
Speaker 3: Right, nice checking.
Speaker 2: Left.
Speaker 3: But Packson is such a perfect foil for tell Rico, this nice, thoughtful guy who can talks about his religions, faithful like you just they're the exact opposite of each other and that is that it really helps Telarco in a way. That is, it's not just Republican Democrats like a good person a bad person, and that that is going to help Telarco. There's we can bring. We can pretend like Cornyon because he sucks as a politician and isn't very good on the stump and it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of a.
Speaker 3: He puts on a cowboy hat every year for an ad and he looks fucking ridiculous in it. It looks like it's basically photoshopped on his head. But Paxton running Paxson is way better for tele Rico than Cornyan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I get you make the argument that Cornyan basically is generic Republican in a ballot and Paxton is less, is more vulnerable than a generic Republican because he again is committed bribery and corruption.
Speaker 3: And think about how close Betto came to beating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is what Ty and I talked about this on Only Friends, which I was like, there's there's like three factors here, right, It's three questions for does does Tallerrico win? Do you think the overall national environment is bluer than it was in twenty eighteen? Do you think taller Rico is a better candidate than Beto? And then do you think Paxton is a worse candidate than Ted Cruz.
Speaker 3: I think on all three measures, this is better for Tealraco than it was for Betto and be okay, within three points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's probably right.
Speaker 3: Well, now those last three points, that is a long.
Speaker 1: Five mile I also said that that's where I came down. I'm like, and he could do better than Beto and still lose, like just a little. But you know, I think he's a I think he's a special candidate. I have for a long time. I know you do too, And like I think, you know everyone should.
Speaker 3: If anyone can do it is James Talerico right now in this environment against Can Paxton.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by the Obama found Foundation. Democracy doesn't defend itself, and these people willing to fight for it. That's why the Obama Foundation is committed to training the next generation of leaders, building communities, and strengthening our democracy. This summer, the Obama Presidential Center opens as a global hub for change, providing emerging leaders with the tools and resources they need to make a real difference in their communities, our country, and our world. But none of that happens without you. These leaders need support now, and your donation makes that possible. Years from now, when you look back on this moment in history, you'll want to say you stepped off the sidelines.
Speaker 1: So don't wait. Join the Movement for change.
Speaker 2: Donate to the Obama Foundation at Obama dot org, slash pod.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, some breaking news this morning on the twenty twenty four DNC autopsy, Ken Martin finally agreed to release the full text of the report, which CNN published after the uproar that followed his interview with US a few weeks ago. This is from Martin's statement, quote, I didn't want to create a distraction, but by not putting the report out, I ended up creating an even bigger distraction. For that, I sincerely apologize. He also said, quote, it does not meet my standards and it won't meet your standards. But I am doing this because people need to be able to trust the Democratic Party and trust our word. Well. I agree with him there. The one hundred and ninety two page report is riddled with inaccuracies, at times incoherent, ultimately incomplete. The section headlined conclusion comes with an annotation that says this section was not provided by the author. Still is all you need to know. There's also no mention of Biden's decision to run again his age Gaza inflation. Dan, you have some thoughts you'd like to share. I feel like I've said plenty on this.
Speaker 3: You'll have more to say. I hope this is so fittingly stupid. It was like, this is what we suspected all along, which is Ken Martin hired the wrong person to do the report. The wrong person did a terrible job. Instead of starting the report over or saying that Ken Martin just started lying, couldn't stop lying, and just got himself into this incredible hole. And then he doesn't get points or transparency here because that CNN got some parts they were able to get from some sources parts of the report. And once the CNN had that, then the DNC made the decision, which was the right decision, to release the rest of it. Like it's so it's it could not have been handled more poorly, just every part of it. So I'm going to go through a couple of things here. One, this is just a management disaster. This was supposed to be a huge priority for Ken Martin. He hired someone to work for free who no one in the Democratic Party would have picked for this role. There was no actual process set up. There was clearly no monitoring of the process or oversight or anyone working on or tracking what was happening. Because when he got he was shocked when he got the report, Well, why weren't you getting in? Where weren't their calls every week? Why wasn't someone on your staff in charge of doing this? Why wasn't there a committee of people. I can think of dozens upon dozens of very very qualified, very very smart Democrats who would have volunteered to be part of this process to do it right. And I know this because there have been a bunch of other autopsies that have come out where they've gotten really really smart people to do it and completed the work.
Speaker 1: Someone that we know reached out to me and said, we wrote a seven hundred page post mortem on the twenty twelve campaign, the Obama campaign, and it was done in January. Becaise she was in November.
Speaker 3: And so like that, just the just absolute management disaster. The second piece is the line like it's the biggest thing, the lining is so crazy. And I go back to the interview with you, which is we talked you talked about this when we did the interview, we talke about since I just want everyone to fully understand, we did not seek out Ken Martin for the purpose of talking to about the autopsy. We had no interest in talking to Ken Martin about the autopsy. He complained to you about tweets sent by someone who's not you.
Speaker 1: Nop. Yep, Ben Road's tweet. Ben Road's tweet kicked it off.
Speaker 3: And then he came up to you at the Grinder party. Yep, sure did and expressed his di met. You can talk about how he expressed it. And so the response was that he would come on the podcast and discuss it. He like sought out the opportunity to do it, to continue to push the lie because the argument that they were making. Ken Martin had two points in this about the autopsy. It's done, it was helpful, it has informed our playbook. He said the word playbook ten thousand times. I'd interview, and we can't release it because it would be a distraction and divide the party before the election. The last part is, yes, it would be a distraction, but the main reason that's released. It is embarrassing to Ken Martin or not to come come clean with why you didn't you you weren't releasing this because it would be embrassing to Ken Martin, not because it'd be bad for the party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's and it is. If it was just the autopsy and this was like just one incident here, that would be one thing. But the fact that it goes to trust issues and credibility, and as Ken says in his statement, we need to be able to trust the Democratic Party and people need to be able to trust us. Again, it is indicative of a larger issue that he has had since taking this role as chairman at the DNC. And it looked no further than the April fundraising reports that came out the same day today that say, once again, the Democratic National Committee has negative three million dollars in the bank when you account for or the debts that they owe, and the Republican National Committee has one hundred and twenty four million dollars in the bank. And then when you look at the fundraising of the RNC versus the DNC, the RNC has raised many, many, many, many many more times the amount of money as the DNC. But when you look at the fundraising between the d Triple C and the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee, when you the two House committees, you know the Republicans have outraised Democrats by little, but not as much as RNC versus DNC. Same thing with the Senate committees. So it's not a Democratic party wide problem fundraising problem. It's a DNC problem.
Speaker 3: And d in one of the reasons why the DNC is not able to raise money, and Ken Martin has disputed this, but many, many the owners have said otherwise is the autopsy, because the autopsy has bred just frustration the DNC didn't do it. Questions of trust about Ken Martin. What are we giving our money for for night getting it? And this is I mean bury the lead here. But this is why I think Ken Martin should step down. I think this is a bridge too far. He cannot repair the trust here. He's not Everything we've seen here is he's not the right person for the job. I'm sorry that seems like a harsh thing to say, but it is clear Will there's he is an impossible job being even under we have worked with many many DNC chairs, even under the best circumstances. The job sucks, ass. It is really really hard. No one has ever seen a successful dnch chair if people are hammered for it. But the thing is is that Ken Martin is now the distraction that he did not he was trying to avoid. And because you're the distraction, then you should go like he said it, Like he says in his post, my job is winning elections. Well, the best thing for the d for the Democrats who win elections is to have a fresh start at the DNC, both now and in twenty twenty eight, where the trusted issue matters so much more. Because the DNC is going to run the presidential primary. They're gonna pick, they're gonna set up the debates, they're going to pick the calendar, which is a huge thing. They are going to to make decision about how delegates are alligated. They're going to deal with states to try to jump the calendar. All of this matters, and when people don't trust the DNC, as happened in twenty sixteen, when all of the emails came out as part of the Russian hacks of DNC emails that show that people at the DNC were favoring Hillary over Bernie. People didn't trust the DNC. They didn't trust the process. They thought it was ragged, and it hurt. It hurt in the general election. We need people to trust the process. And I say that as a success fan, but we need people to trust the process.
Speaker 1: Well. And what he has opened up to now is any candidate who runs for president in twenty twenty eight who complains about unfairness to the DNC, whether those accusations are fair or not accurate or not. Like, no one's going to believe Ken Martin because he has this credibility issue, right, And same thing with the excuses on the money. Right. He did a whole thing with me in the interview about like you know, at we're actually fine and we're investing in state parties and you need to spend and all this kind off. But like, I don't know, can I believe that now? I don't know. He had this other lie for a long long time and tried to tried to hide it. I had to cover up this report, so yeah, I guess. After it was released today, there was a call for DNC members, a private colleges for the all the all the DNC members and talk to some people who are on the call, and he basically just read the statement that he gave CNN essentially and apologized again, and then also said that that Paul Rivera, who did who he put in charge of this report, is no longer helping out at the DNC, because part of the CNN story said that even after he fucked up the autopsy, Paul Rivera was still walking around the DNC like demoralizing staffers just by his presence because they all knew that he had fucked up so badly. So he said that Paul Vera is no longer working and then no questions on the call, no questions from many of the DNC members. After this, I also got something from someone of the DNC saying that a lot of the outlets are mistaken and saying that there's no pathway to removal for Ken, that it's actually just a simple majority vote of the DNC. So that's interesting. And there's at least one congressman, Representative Mark Vezi, said that it's time for Ken Martin to go. So I don't know, I mean, I tend to think, do you think his job is safe? Do you think he'll resign? Like it seems it seems like a tall order, But I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I hope he would be willing to look at the reality situation and recognize that because of the mistakes that he made, that the best thing for the party would be two step down. I don't think he's going to do that. We're in this mess because he was trying to protect himself, not the party. So hard to say. I mean, you know, is the are we really going to take the even if it's easy, it's an extraordinary step to remove the DNCA chairs. They didn't want to do that five months before the midterms. I'd be surprised. And then I think if he doesn't that it's a real question before the twenty twenty eight calendar is set as to whether we have to do something thing different here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, the other problem is no one seems to want the job.
Speaker 1: That's so you need someone else who would want the job. You need someone else who You need the donors to say that if someone else takes the job, then the money will start flowing again and they'll start donating, right because you don't want the new You don't want a new chair to still be stuck at the same problem financially, and it does. You know, people have been complaining this is a distraction. Distrection like it does at some point eat up a lot of time and energy, you know, as we're getting close to the midterms. But the challenges after the midterms happen. If they are as expected and things go well again, you can just you can hear the DNC taking credit for it in advance, and they will have nothing to do with the victory. Again. If things don't go well, it's still not the DNC's fault. They just don't have that much to do with with midterm elections at all. But as soon as the midterms are over, we're fucking into the presidential primary and people are gonna start putting their campaigns together and you're gonna need the calendars and all the stuff that you were just talking about. And so I don't know, it's just it's fucking mess, fucking mess. That's so stupid, And we're not digging into the actual autopsy because it's a joke. I'm like, it's not worth talking about anything in it because it's not endorsed by the DNC or anyone else. Is just like Paul Rivera's ramblings that are the basis of him talking to just some people involved with the twenty twenty four campaign who aren't even most of the senior people on the campaign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's been a lot, I would say, to people who are interested in what happened. There's been a lot of actual autopsies from outside groups. Way to Win has one Catalyst has their report. We talked about Rob Flaarerty's Bullwark piece the other day. There's one from uh I think the Shooting Victory Fund, if I'm saying that correctly, has has one. There's actually some pretty good, pretty exhaustive work about what happened twenty twenty four. That's that people want they should go look at. But looking at this version is not worth doing because you could look for you could try, I would say, read the executive summary, but that was also not provided.
Speaker 1: So right, right, all right, Well you think you'll come back on the pod?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe open.
Speaker 3: Maybe you guys will meet up again at next year's grander.
Speaker 1: Party, fingers crossed. Maybe they'll be alcohol this time, all right. Speaking to democrats being unhappy with Democrats, the New York Times released new results from their latest poll that we talked about on Tuesday. This installment is focused on Democrats and independents who say they're planning to support Democratic candidates in the fall. Overall, more than half of these voters disapprove of the Democratic Party. More than half also said the party should move to the center rather than move to the left, in order to win the twenty twenty eight presidential election, but when asked that question about specific issues, the results were more varied. On economic issues, thirty six percent said move to the left, pretty competitive with the forty two percent who said moved to the center. And on healthcare, forty five percent of Democratic voters want to move to the left, compared to just twenty seven percent who said move to the center and twenty six percent who said don't move in either direction. Health Care was the issue where the biggest percentage of voters thought the Democratic parties should move to the left. And then I would say economy was next. And then when you get to issues like crime, I think was the top issue where the most the highest percentage of Democrats said that the party should move to the right or at least moved to the center. Sorry, and then immigration and actually, you know we can talk about this too, but trans issues was not as there weren't as many people and this would go against sort of the prevailing narrative. But there weren't as many Democrats who wanted the party to move to the center on trans issues as there were on crime and immigration is still the top two. So what did you make of this novel line of questioning in the poll which they did ask voters like, how do you personally feel about the direction of the party on these issues and what direction do you think the party should move in? And then they asked which direction you think the party should move to win? So they did both, but the move to win basically asking voters to be pundits is a is a new one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I generally hate that idea, like it's always it's just it's just I'm much rather more, much more interested in what voters actually think, because you would like to believe that that's what informs voting behavior. But I will say that this is a very interesting finding one. It just proves that among Democrats, the narrative that Democrats lost because we were too far the left, too woke to liberal has taken hold among Democrats that the you know, a plurality of Democrats believe that, at least on a core set of issues. And so it's just it's like, that's an interesting to out of point that that has. You know, there was this battle after the election. We were we two moderate or two left, and at least for the people responding to this poll, it was clearly the problem was we were too left, not left enough. And the other reason why I think this is somewhat informative is electability is become the pre eminent issue in democratic politics. You know, it was a huge issue in the Texas Senate primary. It was a huge issue in the main Senate primary before Janet Mills dropped out. It's a giant issue in the Iowa primary that happened a couple of weeks. And it's it's a big issue in the Michigan Senate primary that is in August. And so it's interesting to know what voters think makes someone electable or in this case, may make them think someone is less electable. You know, looking at the numbers, it.
Speaker 1: Is did you dive into the cross tabs?
Speaker 3: The cross stabs are not that they're not that surprising.
Speaker 1: I figured you did, but I did too. Yeah, I was ready to nerd out about some crosstabs if people.
Speaker 3: Some real nuggets, but it's sort of it's what you is. The findings are kind of across the board. What would be interesting would be if there was one group who really thought they should move to the left, but really just come of across the board people or not move to the right or whatever it is, but that everyone kind of all feels the same way, just in varying degrees.
Speaker 1: The college split on these issues is notable to me. Yeah, that non college voters tend to want the party to move towards the center, and college voters want the party to move to the left, and then it splits on racial and education lines in a very interesting way, which is non college black voters and non college Latino voters along with non college white voters very much want the party to move to the center. And really the only demographic group that most wants the party to move to the left is white college grads. Also some black and Hispanic college grads, but it's just a larger chunk of the electorate is white and more with.
Speaker 3: Younger people all sq younger.
Speaker 1: And all these Yeah, and particularly on issues again against the prevailing narrative on issues of immigration, and crime. Yep, you see you see that, you see black and you know, non college Democratic voters say they want the party to move to the center.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, yes, I mean that is the I guess I thought I felt like we were past that prevailing narrative or that even that narrative is kind of but I guess, I guess it depends on where you're getting your news these days.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, just way till we get to the next primary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and it's like, obviously liketability is going to hang over the twenty twenty eight primary in a massive way, and so this this will inform that. I think the healthcare one is very interesting. On economic issues, it's only a six point spread, which I think is also notable. And then what I found also interesting is that there is they ask people if they asked Democrats if they thought the economic system in the country was generally unfair to most Americans eighty eight percent yes, only eleven percent said fair to most Americans, and whether the political and economics system needs to be changed in maybe eighties, So sixty three percent said major changes, twenty percent said torn down completely, in fifteen per sense said minor or minor changes. And one percent said no changes. Who that person is which Democrat thinks there has no changes, I'll be interested in. But I think there is this paradox here, which is you have people saying we think the party should move right on certain issues, but there is an appetite and it for big, bold ideas on the economy and healthcare and like, people want real change, and so nibbling around the edges is not going to be sufficient. Both in the Democratic primary and the general people want to see that you understand the scale of the problems affecting their lives, the ways in which the system is broken and corrupt, and you have big ideas. So the sort of you know, not to pick on Kamala Harris's economic team, but like this is what not to do. Is we're going to offer credits tax credits for home for first time home buyers. It's a good policy theoretically, but it just seems small compared to what people actually want.
Speaker 1: Build more houses would be a better problem.
Speaker 3: Well, that would be a better That would be a better policy.
Speaker 1: You can do both, Yeah, you can do both. But yeah, I mean there was a line in here in the in the right up of the piece of the poll, which was when presented with two opposing economic visions, more than two thirds of Democratic supporters now sixty five sixty six percent said they favored a candidate who would go after corporate monopolies and price gouging. Well, just thirty percent preferred candidate who promised to lower prices by easing housing regulations and expanding energy production. Now you know some of this is in wording that that doesn't that doesn't sound very exciting to ease housing regulations and expand energy production, but just to get people a baseline, because I thought this was interesting, So they asked, like, where do you how do you think about the party? Is it too far left, is it too far right? Or is it not too far either way? Fifty five percent said not too far either way, twenty percent said too left, seventeen percent said to right. So right there, you're a candidate trying to win the party's nomination. You got like a little more than half of the electorate that you're trying to get who thinks the party is ideologically good where it is right now, and then you've got almost similar percentages on either side. So that is a tough thing to navigate. I also thought the delta between when they ask people what would you personally liked where would you personally like to see the party move and to win, where would you like to see the party move was actually not that different. So twenty eight percent said they personally like to see the party move to the left, and twenty five percent said that to win, the party should move to the left. And then forty seven percent said they personally wanted to move to the center, and fifty two percent said to win, they want to move to the center. So you do have a percentage of people who were saying, oh, personally, I want the party to be more left, but to win it should move to the center. But not a ton It's the delta wasn't as big as I thought it would be.
Speaker 3: Well, it's I mean for the reasons we talked about for many years, which is the media and Democrat is a as a voter that didn't go to college, and it's more moderate than most people listening to this podcast, and we are personally and that that's the party that nominated Joe Biden in twenty twenty, and that that remains true. I think these questions are a little confusing and how they're awarded like, but it is. It is just notable that fifty hid percent are generally okay with the direction of the party. Is now, how many of those fifty percent can name what the direction of the party actually fucking is right now?
Speaker 1: Well, it's good. I was just gonna say. The other thing that stands out in some of the questions that they asked is, and we always talk about this, but it's a good reminder for everyone, is how like, those of you listening to this podcast, you are so different than like seventy percent of the rest of the electorate in that you pay closer attention to politics and know more about what's going on in politics day to day than most of the people who will show up and vote in elections. So they asked about Schumer and Schumer's approval rating in this poll among just Democrats and independence that they're going to vote Democrat is twenty six percent in favor, thirty one percent opposed. And you're like, well, that's kind of low. Thirty five percent never heard of Chuck Schumer, Joe Rogan eleven percent approved, forty eight percent disapproved, the rest never heard of Joe Rogan, Nick what is it?
Speaker 3: Nine percent approve approved.
Speaker 1: I didn't even see Fuentas in there. Yeah, is in the crosstabs they asked, I guess, just for fun, have you heard maybe Ezra got this question? And have you heard of the abundance movement? Ninety one percent of people in that they pulled, all of whom again, all these people said they're going to vote in the midterms. Ninety one percent never heard of the abundance movement. So it's just it's it's a good a good reminder that people who are even in Democratic even in mid terms, right, which is a more engaged electorate, even mid term voters, are just not paying as much attention to all the shit that we talk about every week. These are registered voters, right, yeah, but registered voters who said they're going to vote in the midterm. The Israel numbers crazy. Only twenty percent favor more aid to Israel, seventy four percent do not, fifteen percent sympathize with Israel over the Palestinians, and sixty percent Palestinians over Israeli's The highest group of support for Israel of any demographic is sixty five plus. Unsurprising, there even that group sixty five plus only twenty seven percent, so that they have more sympathy for Israel than the Palestinians. That is just a just a massive shift on that issue.
Speaker 3: Thank Joe Biden, Donald Trump, and BBNET Yaho for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is true. And then forty nine percent favor socialism, twenty two percent no socialism, and then the rest had no opinion.
Speaker 3: Every age group of Democrats has a favoralle opinion, so they'll support socialism. They have a favorable opinion of it.
Speaker 1: That's which I think, thank you, Which is that is important.
Speaker 3: That maybe a distinction a lot of difference in the ads that will be running, but I think it does matter on what people say. But yeah, even voters over sixty five, if I remember correctly, Democrats over sixty five by a more narrow margin, have a favorable view of socialism.
Speaker 1: Oh, last one, I wanted to ask you about forty nine percent of voters that it was important to choose leaders with a fresh approach. Forty eight percent want to choose leaders with proven experience.
Speaker 3: It's a real.
Speaker 1: And guess which guess what young people wanted experience? Yeah, by like a lot more than other age groups. It was a sort of like I think that.
Speaker 3: This one is. I think this is a confusing question, and I don't think it says exactly what you think it says. I think the backdrop for this is our reality TV show president who has no real experience in his fucking app leftion right every single day, and so I think I think the better of the question that will be more interesting as we think about the twenty twenty eight Democratic crimeries inside do you want someone who is a part of the establishment or agn'tscy establishment? I think that's a because everyone is, everyone who's running is going to have some answer on experience. It's just what experience means, Like we saw this in two thousand and eight, Like everyone can define experience the way they do, and then you either sell it or you don't, because if you don't, no one wants someone with insufficient experience.
Speaker 1: That is true. That is true. While we're on this topic, there's a bit of a mess brewing in the Democratic primary in Texas's redrawn thirty fifth district, where sheriff's deputy Johnny Garcia is now in a runoff with a sex therapist named Maureen Galindo, who has posted wildly anti Semitic comments online. Including calling Judaism the Synagogue of Satan and promising to turn an ICED attention center into quote a prison for American Zionists and former ICE officers, adding quote it will also be a castration processing center for pedophiles, which will probably be most of the Zionists. Disgusting. I'm a serious superPAC called Lead Left, which was formed earlier this month and whose website initially linked to the Republican platform win Red, has now spent about six hundred thousand dollars to boost Galindou. Demoline super PACs have now just about matched that spending to defeat Galindo, and everyone from James Tellerico to Hakim Jeffreys to AOC has condemned her. What do you make of this?
Speaker 2: Uh, it's a mess.
Speaker 3: It's an absolute mess. I mean, good for everyone for speaking up and trying to defeat this person. The Republicans are pretty devious in what they're doing. They're going to do this in multiple places around the country. I've already tried to do it in a couple of states, including Pennsylvania. I mean, we have been involved in democratic groups, have been involved in primaries before, so this is not beyond the bound beyond the bounds of what's acceptable or what's appropriate. But add us to the list of people condemning her and hoping she does not win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you are in that district, if you're a voter in that district, if you know voters in that restrict, like tell them to go vote for Johnny Garcia.
Speaker 3: She got more votes in the primary.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, that's what That's what we're all worried about. This is on this is on Tuesday. She got so this is the runoff, and she got more votes than him the first time around, and so, you know, I think I can't even begin. The most generous explanation is that people who voted for her did not know about all the comments and all the positions I hope, and that maybe and that she obviously had a lot of money and spending behind her, so her name ID was better than Johnny Garcia, so he needs better name ID. Maybe this controversy getting kicked up will help sort of focus people, and people in that thirty fifth district will we'll hear about this and be like, oh, that's crazy, We've got to vote for Johnny Garcia. But anyway, we should everyone should get the word out, because this isn't just someone who's like crazy lefty, this is like a fucking concentration camps for Zionists. Are you fucking kidding me? Like it's awful? And Republicans of course are so fucking say and having a field day with this and being like, oh, Democrats, Democrats are the ones voting for the anti Semites and the people who want to put Jews in camps, not Republicans. And meanwhile, of course not saying anything about the fact that there's this like mysterious super pac linked to the Republican group when read that is spending too on this race, which is just crazy. So Johnny Garcia go check it out. All right, One last topic today. There are two very notable weddings taking place this Memorial Day weekend. As we've said, One is our own John Lovet and Ari Schwartz, which we're all very excited to attend. The other is Donald Trump Junior and Palm Beach socialite Bettina Anderson, which Donald Trump Senior is maybe skipping. Let's listen to what he said in the Oval.
Speaker 3: Having your son's buddy in this movie, by the way, he'd like me to go.
Speaker 1: But it's going to be just a small, little private affair, and I'm going to try and make it.
Speaker 3: I'm in the midst, I said, you know, this is.
Speaker 4: Not good timing for me. I have a thing called the rad and other things.
Speaker 3: That's when I can't win on. If I do attend, I get killed. If I don't attend, I get killed.
Speaker 1: What don him still I saw this this morning. I am it is four o'clock in the afternoon. I'm still stunned by this.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have joked for many, many years about how Donald Trump does not love his children and they act this way because he does not love them and he can barely identify them and really did no parenting. This kind of proves the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just generational trauma, just in action. We're just we're just watching it unfold right in that clip.
Speaker 3: It's just also, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Got to know. Donald Trump's famous for skipping festivities and any kind of leisure activity because he likes to be focused on the nation's business. He's well known for that.
Speaker 3: No one would kill him for going to his son's wedding. That's one. Like he does a lot of dumb show golf. This this would free pass for this one.
Speaker 1: It's in the Bahamas. I guess he can't. Like air Force one can go to the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: He can go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can go anywhere. They could bring a fucking.
Speaker 3: Is not at mar A Lago because he wanted to charge his son.
Speaker 1: That is I can't even imagine. I can't imagine married. And also not like he also wasn't even It would have even been different if he was like, oh, I'm so like, I can't make it, you know, like he was definitive and he had the excuse. But he did the worst of all worlds was to just be like, Eh, I'm gonna try to make it, but I don't know. I don't know. It's not good. I told him, it's yeah, not good timing for me. Not good timing for me. It's really it's your fault. I'm not coming to your wedding son. Good stuff anyway. Anyway, Congrats to John Junior. Congrats to John Junior well and and John Love. Yes, just cut from the same cloth. When we come back. California gubernatorial candidate Matt Mahon.
Speaker 2: Pazave America is brought to you by a neutrifol. Real change comes through the small, healthy habits you do every day that quietly add up to big improvements. That's the idea behind Neutraphil. It's built around a simple, consistent approach to hair health that works from within and delivers visible results over time, not overnight. Neutraphil is the number one dermatologists recommended hair growth supplement brand, and it's the number one hair growth supplement brand personally used by dermatologists. Neutrafols hair growth supplements are peer reviewed, NSF certified for sport and clinically tested. It's not a one size fits all approach. Neutriphil offers multiple formulas for men and women, tailored to different life stages like postpartum or menopause, and lifestyle factors such as a plant based diet, so you get personalized support that's right for you. Adding neutrafl to your daily routine is easy, order online, no prescription needed, with automated deliveries and free shipping to keep you on track. This whole their pitch of results over time, not overnight. I think that makes a lot of sense because remember the other options for this sort of thing, or one day you'd just be totally bald and the next day the commercial has a guy like jet skiing with a full head of hair and a sick mullet.
Speaker 1: There's that, or there's just you're standing outside of a press conference and it's a little warm, and suddenly you've got you got the new hair dripping down your face face.
Speaker 2: His head just melted a good.
Speaker 1: Old days, I know.
Speaker 2: Let your hair become one less thing taking up space in your head and see thicker, stronger, faster going hair with less shedding in just three to six months with Neutrafol. For a limited time, Neutrafol is offering our listeners ten dollars off your first month subscription and free shipping. When you visit neutrofold dot com, enter the promo code crooked. That's neutrifold dot com spelled n U t r a f o l dot com promo code crooked. My guest today is the mayor of San Jose. He's running to be the next governor of the great state of California.
Speaker 1: That man.
Speaker 2: Great to see you, Thanks for me, Thank you for coming into the Crooked Media Grand offices.
Speaker 1: What do you think it's beautiful?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love the art.
Speaker 2: I'm really digging compliments today. All right, let's cut to the chase. So I got a motley, crowded field. The candidates in this race. Election days fast approaching, people already voting. I got my ballot at the house. I'm an undecided voter. I want to talk to you about it in a bit. Why are you the best candidate to lead this state?
Speaker 5: Well, thanks for having me on. I think I'm the best candidate to lead the state because I'm the only Democrat in the race who has a track record of challenging the establishment within my own party to make our government deliver for people. And at a time when we've got authoritarian president who is trying to take the country in a very dangerous direction, we need Democrats who can govern and make people's lives better. The way we win in the long run is proving that we can implement policies that make people's neighborhoods safer and cleaner, their schools better, make housing more affordable. If we're delivering bad outcomes and people are dissatisfied with our leadership, it becomes very hard to fight for democracy and get people to care about climate change and many of the kind of longer term goals that we have.
Speaker 2: So I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But just you know, we're in LA we have this mayoral race happening that's kind of goofy. Sure you've seen. We got Karen Bastian come into the Democrat just got a challenge from the left from Nythia Rahman, and then a challenge from the right from like a washed up reality TV participant I don't even want to call him a star, Spencer Pratt, who lost his home in the Palisades fire, and I think has channeled very understandable anger about the response into a surprisingly effective campaign, and he's like tapped into this rage at the government, rage at the system I think was bubbling below the surface for a lot of people and like not just you know, people who are feeling like the economic pinch, Like a lot of rich, powerful people in this city are like pro Pratt.
Speaker 3: Now, are you hearing.
Speaker 2: That anger on the campaign trail? And if so, how did Democrats address it and speak to it? Like when we're in charge of everything here and have been for a while, I.
Speaker 5: Am here in that frustration and in some cases outright anger. And that's exactly what I'm talking about. When I ran for mayor of San Jose, which is the third largest city in the state. I was hearing deep frustration with the most basic things. There's crime in my neighborhood, sprawling, tent encampments, our schools are failing. I can't afford the rent. I mean the stuff that really keeps people up at night and affects them in their daily lives. And I realized very quickly when I was out knocking on doors and talking to people, that we have to own those shortcomings and offer people change that is pragmatic and responsible. I believe we are almost continuously in a change election mode because government today is failing to get the basics right. In San Jose, I focused on things that are very simple but have an outsized impact. Speeding up permitting, creating a neighborhood quality of life unit within our police department, building basic dignified interim housing, and when it's available, requiring people come indoors, partnering with our county to get more people into drug treatment. By focusing on very basic issues that people see and feel every single day, that you sadly see go viral on next door and everywhere else, we've increased trust in city hall by forty percent in my time as mayor. I think that's the playbook. It'll look different in different cities and different states. But again, I go back to this core premise that we have to be outcome focused. We have to look at the outcomes that matter most to voters. And they're pretty clear. They're telling us it's how it's cost of living, it's quality of schools, it's public safety issues, it's it's very basic issues. Now it's the cost of gas. And yeah, we could spend all of our time arguing how much of the cost of gas is Trump's war A lot of versus a lot of it. Yeah, the last dollar and a half two dollars something like that is thanks to Donald Trump. But the dollar fifty before that is largely our own policy decisions, and we need to be honest about that. I've argued that the gas has and California has become the most regressive tax. It affects people living in the kinds of communities I grew up, and I grew up in a small farming town on the Central Coast. People who can't afford an ev Californians who are driving farther because they live in rural communities are out in the suburbs and they're commuting every day, and we should keep it, but we should right size it. In fact, I would convert it into a flat fee that makes sure ev owners are paying their fair share. That would be fair. You'd provide some relief to people, and you'd show that the Democratic Party is still fighting for working people and trying to make a real impact in their daily lives.
Speaker 2: Lend me annoying and ask a process question and we'll get geek out a little bit. So you got into their race pretty late. It was a crowded field.
Speaker 3: But now you've been.
Speaker 2: Running for a couple months and there was a poll out earlier this week that had you at four percent of the vote. How do you turn things around if that poll is accurate between now an election day, when it's what a month out less less?
Speaker 5: I mean, look, there's a lot of fluidity in the polls. We also recently had a poll that showed us at ten percent. I'd mean, look, when it's a low turnout race and voters are holding onto their ballots, it means there's a lot of uncertainty and therefore variability in terms of what can happen. I believe people are listening they're not thrilled with the choices that they perceive to be the front runners today because they have some very legitimate concerns about Tom Steyer and Javierbasera and certainly Steve Hilton, and I'm offering an alternative that is resonant with those who have heard it. What we see in our data is when people have seen our ads and heard our message, we go above twenty percent and we're in the top two. So my focus is on communicating directly with voters through every possible channel, including thank you very much, this is opportunity today. I want to talk to people about what we've done to get housing under construction, to make San Jose the safest big city in the country, to reduce homelessness faster than any other city in the state of California, and off a different view of how we make Sacramento work for them. I mean, we have to own as Democrats the fact in the last six years we have increased spending in Sacramento by seventy five percent. That's one hundred and fifty billion dollars per year more than we had six years ago, and none of the outcomes that people care most about have gotten better. That is a systemic breakdown, and that's why I'm trying to offer very concrete solutions. Fun Prop thirty six expand treatment capacity, do high dosage tutoring when children are falling behind, to make sure every child's on grade level for reading by the end of third grade. These are things that work that we have not done, largely because of special interest capture in Sacramento. We don't build condos in the state of California anymore because the trial lawyers like the fees they collect from using construction defect laws to sue builders of condos. So the city of Miami builds more condos every year than the entire state of California. Why does that matter. That's the most accessible form of homeowner ship for young people, and we wonder why people are getting priced out of our state. So I'm running against the special interest capture and Sacramento and the status quo. I've done that as the mayor of a large city, and it's worked. We've delivered meaningful outcomes.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you more about home ownership and young people in the state. Just one more process thing, which is like, look, I'm literally an undecided voter in this race in part because, as you know, we have this stupid fucking jungle primary system here where there's a runoff. There's a first round in June, second the top two candidates go to the runoff, So that leads to strategic voting. Right there was all this anxiety about Democrats splitting the vote to Republicans ascending, and right then we have a defecto Republican governor. That probably won't happen now because the Chad seems to touch cuckoo and Trump has chosen the British Shortking is his guy in shocking what's going on there? I guess Fox. But then but then there's people like me who are just like overthinking it, right because I have candidates that appeal to my heart, and I worry though that if they can't win, then maybe I'm doing a harm reduction vote because I have candidates that I think are bad and I want to vote for someone to displace them. Why do we have this dumb system? I hate it?
Speaker 5: Well, I hope I'm speaking to your heart.
Speaker 2: We we'll find out. We have but fifteen more minutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you let me know at the end. I don't think people should overthink it it is almost statistically impossible for two Republicans to get through. There are not that many Republican votes in the state of California. Donald Trump is not on the ballot, which means turnout will be lower than it would otherwise. Be Bianco is hanging in there with his third of the Republican Party, but not any more than that. And I just I think it's more likely we'll have two Democrats then we will have two Republicans. By far, it's just not going to happen. So I think people should vote for the Democrat who they believe will do the best job, and.
Speaker 2: I get rid of this process at some point, though the voters can.
Speaker 1: They can.
Speaker 2: It's annoying. No one likes this. Who is this four?
Speaker 5: Well? The theory I do want try articulated because look that they're trade offs. Partisan primaries also tend to drive candidates to the extreme. Agreed, And so I don't know that there's a I've heard another interesting alternative, which is I know this is going to sound crazy, but I was intrigued when someone pitched me on this the other day. Having the top three or four candidates advance and then in the final the second round, do rank choice photo.
Speaker 2: I would do rank choice for sure. Yeah, yeah, I feel like that solves the problem.
Speaker 5: If you if you winnow the field from sixty two, which is literally what we have on our ballot today, which.
Speaker 2: Isn't someone named Barack Obama, I believe, Yeah, yeah, good move on his well plates are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you narrow it to say the top four, then you're almost certain to have ideological and partisan variety. And then because it would then theoretically if you did rank choice, you would then optimize for whoever's kind of the best overall choice. So I'm orson something like that. I worry if you go back to a partisan primary, you get the most extreme Republican, the most extreme Democrat. It's a it's all just in the primary. And that's, by the way, looking at the other side, that's how you ended up with the Ted Cruz in Texas. He got five percent of the vote, but because it was enough to make him the top candidate in a hyper partisan Republican primary in a red state, he became the de facto senator for years to come.
Speaker 2: Well, he has a very appealing human being, so I can see that for that five percent drew that five percent in you have come out against this proposed one time billionaires tax of five percent, well tax on billionaires in California. This could be on the ballot this fall. Why what's your opposition to this plan?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's not because I don't think billionaires should shouldn't be paying more. I mean, look, I think there are a lot of loopholes in the tax code we should close. I'll give you one example. Today, very wealthy people can borrow against their stock options or other assets that they have not yet paid capital gains on, and then deloy use those dollars as a way of funding their lifestyles, their investments, and then never having to pay capital gains. That's a loophole we should close that. Actually, give you one more Elon Musk, if you were to die today, would pass his stock onto his heirs five hundred billion or whatever it is, and it would automatically get repriced at market rate, meaning they even if they turned around and sold it the next day, would never pay capital gains on It. Fundamentally unfair. So there are a whole bunch of things in the tax code I would fix. I also think with automation, capital gains will probably need to go up so that we can lower income tax on those who are working for a living. But when it comes to this wealth tax, the concern I have is it's going to punish the middle class. In California, we've seen about a trillion dollars of capital flight from the state already. And this is right in line with what we've seen in every other place that's try a wealth tax.
Speaker 2: Trillion dollars in wealth asset value val right, not taxation.
Speaker 5: Correct, A trillion dollars worth of wealth of assets that people hold that no longer reside within the state of California because their owner now has a primary residence in another.
Speaker 2: State like Arino or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Nevada, Florida, Texas, whatever. And that's what we've seen. So there are fourteen European countries that have tried wealth taxes at the national level, not even the provincial or state level, and what they have generally rolled them back or had to significantly modify them for a couple of reasons. One they have seen the overall tax based shrink is they've had capital flight, people with high, very high networths moving their assets and their primary residents out of the country or out.
Speaker 1: Of the state.
Speaker 5: The other is to assess people's wealth is not a trivial thing. You actually need to have an army of assessors go out and go through people's belongings and figure out what all these things worth and value them and then tax them. And there's a lot of distortionary effects. I'm I just think it's likely to backfire. It's like going to be very costly, and ultimately, I think it's the middle class that's going to be left holding the.
Speaker 2: Bag because there will just be less revenue.
Speaker 5: You think so, And that's not just me. The Legislative Analyst Office, the Independent Policy Shop in Sacramento says that we've probably already taken ten billion a year off of our future revenues based on the capitol that's already left the state.
Speaker 2: Right, But if we could recoup that with this one time tax, I mean, there's estimates that it could bring in up to one hundred billion. I mean, it's hard to pencil out the math, right, because we just don't know how many people will leave. As I feel like there's this concert we're talking about like two hundred people, right, like two hundred billionaires in California. If they all left the state, do they all really have that much income that gets taxed? Like Jeff Bezos famously pays himself eighty grand or something and has since nineteen ninety eight, but all of his wealth is in often unrealized gains in Amazon stock, right, which is not getting tax no matter what happens. It's like, how do we get at that money?
Speaker 5: Well, that's why I point to those other to reforms that I think make a lot more sense. One is, if he's borrowing against those unrealized gains at there should be a cut off at which point it's considered realized and you have to you can't just endlessly borrow against your realized assets. I think that's a way smarter way to do it, that's less distortionary, and I would, I mean really ideally that would be a federal policy. The other is inheritance. The best wealth tax is a one time inheritance tax when you pass things on. And if you don't want to actually force people to sell assets because it's a family business or a farm, that's fine, but don't re base the value of it at market rate at the moment the person dies. Leave the original cost basis, so that when your airs sell, they pay capital gains. That seems only fair.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there's so many carve outs for farms, and it's like tens of millions of dollars is already exempted from the wealth tax. It's insane that we are not focusing more on that. So you're in the Nerve, a city at the heart of the American tech industry. In a past life, you worked tech industry. Americans I think increasingly have a negative view of a lot of tech companies, right, I mean as recently as twenty fifteen, Pugh found that seventy one percent of Americans thought technology companies had a positive effect on the country. By twenty nineteen, that was down to fifty percent. Now you're seeing like AI explode onto the scene. People are worried about the data centers. There's polling that finds an increasing number of Americans are more concerned than excited about AI. You've got people getting booed for mentioning AI at college commencements this past weekend. What would you say to voters who are furious at Silicon Valley because you know certain, you know, tech CEOs got fabulously wealthy while they did not. The news media got hollowed out. They feel like harms were done by social media, and now it just feels like the same companies, the same people they're getting to run it back with AI, which we're all told is this unbelievably powerful, like step change, new thing. And I don't trust those people. I don't trust Elan or Mark Zuckerberg or Sam Altman to be in charge of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a very real fear, and I understand it, and on some level I share it. I don't I have little kids. I don't want them on social media or AI. I've argued that, and as governor I would fight for policies that require parental consent for using social media, ban cell phones in public schools. I've actually got experience with regulating technology because as a mayor, our city is procuring and using technology and constantly thinking about the trade offs. New tools can give us new capabilities to improve things. We've sped up our public buses, We've improved language translation in our meetings, We're identifying potholes proactively. We've done a number of things that are making government more responsive and efficient, which is great. That's really cool stuff. On the other hand, people's fears around privacy, manipulate of elections, and just misinformation. More broadly, job loss, environmental destruction are all very legitimate, and that's why we created something called the gov AI Coalition. San Jose is the founding member of a platform that helps over nine hundred public agencies navigate technology adoption. And it's all about the ethical and responsible use of AI. So we use license plate readers, but we don't allow facial recognition. We don't sell data to third parties. We don't even share it with the federal government because we don't trust how they will use it. We delete it every thirty days. On the other hand, it's helped us solve murders and kidnappings and rapes and all kinds of horrible crimes. So striking that balance of how do we harness the value of tools, and I think we want to continue to be a state that is innovative and that is at the cutting edge, but we have to regulate and protect people from these changes data centers you mentioned. I believe this should be a national standard, but certainly for California, any new data center needs to pay the full cost of the infrastructure, they require, the full cost of energy. They should be required to use the cleanest energy. Their investment should help facilitate the clean energy future that we all want. They should have to use recycled water. So I think that we can praise the bar. Some people want to pause on building those, so that's too far from and that's kind of my point. You have this sort of much more laisse fair approach on the right that is sort of like, oh, you know, business is good, capitalism is always good, and let's just have this sort of unbridled capitalism and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, David Sachs approach. We're laissez faire until Silicon Valley Bank is going to collapse and then.
Speaker 5: We're screening welfare. Yeah, exactly. So I reject that mindset and approach. I also think, though, that there is a more extreme version within my party that wants to just hit the brakes, and I think I just believe we were better served and I think historically we have been better regulating, managing shaping technological change. But having the authority to do that then just saying no and having it happen elsewhere, and I think there's a balance to strike there. I put out an AI accountability plan that's all about striking that balance. It's about investing in workforce development, putting strict guardrails on the way that children interact with technology, accountability for data centers and robotics companies. We need to have an AI shared prosperity fund. That is pain that is taking tax revenue from these hyperscalers, these big tech companies, and pain for the upskilling and reskilling. We need to make sure that people are prepared for the jobs of the future. And look, if it gets really dire. We haven't seen this yet, but we should have a plan b if if job loss increases, we're going to have to talk about things like a UBI. We need to have a whole other set of tools, a totally different safety net. If this plays out in a way that some of us.
Speaker 2: What's your what's your AI drug? A choice? You a groc guy, Claude, chat GPT, What do we using?
Speaker 5: I go between Claude and Chat and yeah, chat GPT mostly, although I end up by default on Gemini a lot, just because of the browser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then it's always wrong. You know, you're just getting bullshitted. I'm a Claude guy. I was using Chat GPT and then Sam Mamma did something shitty when he when he swooped in, was like, I'll take your Pentagon contract to build the autonomous killer robots. I was like, I'm out.
Speaker 5: And then you went to Claude and see you buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's just secretly building the autonomous killer robots? Who knows? So you raised a bunch of money from folks in the tech world.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Ceo is a Google, drop Box, Snapchat, Twitch. I think some prominent venture capitalists. What's your response to people who worry, look, when you take all that money, there are strings and it could make you beholden to the tech industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's a very fair question, and my response is one I've regulated tech and as an elected official over the last six years, I have never done one thing to benefit the biggest employers in Silicon Valley over the people of San Jose, and I sure as heck I'm not going to do that in Sacramento. I'm actually running against special interest capture in Sacramento, and I'm not going to replace one set of interest with another. I have been very willing and have consistently put restrictions on how we use technology, how we interface with tech, companies. I think the honest reason that there are tech employees, tech leaders, investors, etc. Who have contributed to the campaign is I lead the largest city in Silicon Valley and they've seen that we have led the state in reducing crime, reducing homelessness, building housing, fixing our problems. And I think people are drawn to results in competent leadership. And I'm just better known in the Bay Area where we have a number of tech companies. But that's why I'm spending so much time traveling around the state, getting to know people in other places and really making the case for good government. But I put out a very clear AI accountability plan that is based on everything I've done in San Jose over the last six years and is where I am on these issues. And I put that out transparently for everyone from voters to my donors to see it. And if donors don't like it, they can find another candidate.
Speaker 2: One donor name that surprised me was a guy named Joe Lonsdale. He's a co founder Palenteer, big Republican mega donor. He's like a big Elon stand gave a million to Elon's like pro Trump superpack maxed out to you, what's up with that guy? He seems a little crazy.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You'd have to ask him. I mean I have I have probably thousands of doors.
Speaker 2: He's not like someone you do back in the day when he's a Palenteer or something.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I know he's from He's from the Bay Area, and I don't know.
Speaker 2: I Look, he's just an aggressive tweeter. I've we've come, We've crossed paths.
Speaker 5: That's what you guys have been tweeting at each other.
Speaker 2: You know, Look, we all have our weaknesses, and that's one of mine. It does feel like though, like the there was a time, look I was in the Obama in and like the kind of eight through twenty thirteen phase of like the there's a lot of excitement around tech. There's a lot of cooperation between the administration and tech industry, probably too much to our you know, discredit in the Obama world. Now it seems like a lot of the tech industry guys are like, gloves are off, Fuck this, We're battling regulation right, like Indrease and Horowitz. According to The New York Times, is made more than one hundred and fifty million, one hundred and fifteen million dollars worth of disclosed federal contributions to candidates or entities working on the upcoming midterms. That's like fifty mil for like a AI pack, another forty seven million for crypto super pack. Like. Does that wor you? Does that disgust you that like this one VC firm can dump one hundred million to advocate for like its you know, book of portfolio companies.
Speaker 5: Yeah? Absolutely, I mean I'm I'm worried about concentrated power and politics in all forms. The biggest donor and tech now is becoming one of the largest industries or donor bases in the country of any industry you've had oil and gas in the state of California. It is worth noting there are other groups as well, from public sector unions to trial lawyers, who spend a tremendous amount of money, sometimes for things I agree with that I think are generally good for society, Sometimes for narrow or interests are that are not always good for society. I actually got involved in the way I ended up in tech was building tools for grassroots organizing. The early petitions like the change dot org tools, early fundraisers, go fundme, These kinds of early tools to try to basically help people organize at a grassroots level and make the system more accountable to the people than to the donors. I've always been worried about the influence of concentrated money and power and our politics, so it does worry me. I do think think, though, that the Democratic Party has to also recognize there's a split within the party right now, and we have also driven away many people who are have started companies. All right, I'm not just talking about in tech. I mean generally speaking, as I go around the state, just set tech aside when I go talk to people in agriculture, in Hollywood, in manufacturing, in a wide range of industries. The regulatory burden in California is a real issue, and I think we become very dismissive of it as deregulation is a Republican thing that's just because they want more profit. I don't think that's the case. I mean, we broke the housing market by overregulating it in California. That's building more housing and creating room for new people for future generations. Making housing more affordable is actually a very progressive aim.
Speaker 2: I totally agree, but I feel like we're just so far from over regulating social media companies. I think Australia is banning accounts for kids under sixteen, right, I mean, we're just we're doing.
Speaker 5: Nothing right, and that's part of my proposal is actually to require at least parental consent up to up to sixteen. So yeah, I think that's I think that's fair. But I do think we risk losing natural allies of the party if our answered every problem is another regulation and other attacks. And I think look within tech, maybe it's appropriate. The regulatory environment is not very mature at this point, but there are plenty of other industries like housing and agriculture, where you could argue we're punishing, we're actually restricting economic opportunity and pushing people out of state.
Speaker 2: You've criticized government avenues for the kind of focusing too much on trolling Donald Trump. I think you said he made a quote blind leap into Memeland. Gavin and Trump have kind of a ross and Rachel will they won't they frenemies? You know, antagonistic thing going. It's probably unique to them, right, They're big, larger than life people. But Trump and the conservative media they love to beat up on California. Right, Fox News all day is like some video of something that happened on the street. So I don't think that Trump attacks end when Gavin is gone. How would you manage that relationship differently than him or or continuity would I.
Speaker 5: Mean, the way I think about it is there's a set of things that are just redlines for me and for the state of California. We're going to fight to protect our vulnerable neighbors. We're going to push back on ICE. We're going to fight to protect constitutional freedoms. We're going to fight for our fair share federal funding. There are a number of areas where, unfortunately, we are going to have to fight fire with fire, As Governor Newsom has said, and in San Jose, I've led us to sue the Trump administration multiple times. We've used our budget to backfill cuts. We've were funding legal services for immigrant neighbors who are at risk of deportation. We've banned ICE's use of masks and their use of public property. So I will use every tool in the toolbox, legal, budgetary, bully pulpit, whatever tools we have to fight back. I do want to go back to the place I started, which is I also think that we've got to take ownership of our shortcomings and start solving highly visible and visceral problems that affect people every day. I mean this may sound superficial, but when people drive around Los Angeles and see the state of the freeways and see thousands of people living outside in misery and tents and trash and fires and graffiti, it just undermines our credibility. It underminds trusting government. It makes it that much harder to stand for something different that people can believe in. And I'm not pretending that the Republicans have got it all right. They've got plenty of problems, and Red states have plenty of problems. We do a better job in many ways at being economically inclusive and certainly more welcoming socially and politically. But I just I think we've got to also fix our fundamental problems, starting with the high cost of housing. Until we grapple with that, I don't think we're going to be a very effective resistance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My last question for you is about housing, which is in California, we have something called Prop thirteen. I'm sure you know about it. Listeners naturally don't as passed in the late seventies, Younger Californians mostly hate it because it means that new home buyers pay much higher property taxes on like the identical house to someone who bought it forty years earlier. You can correct me if I'm getting the deatos or I'm shorthanding this. It creates this general unfairness and it can lock up housing supply because if you're a senior, you're not going to downsize if that means you're going to pay a much higher property tax, right, you want to lock in that privileged tax rate over time. Prop thirteen is gutted revenue for California's public schools, and like smart, kind of wonky people I know almost literally will blame it for like all of California's problems. Right, there are number of books to that, yes, and so like Sadly, it feels politically impossible to repeal the thing because propensity to vote. Seniors like it because it keeps their property taxes low. So like, what do we do here? How do we bring some fairness to property tax collection and unfreeze the housing market with this anchor around our neck?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How many hours do you have?
Speaker 2: I mean Thursday?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think one is just across the board. Our housing issues come down to a lack of supply, so we need to build more housing, and that will slow down the rate at which the value of housing goes up, which will help moderate property tax increases. The reason Prop thirteen was passed was property tax increases were happening so fast that people were literally getting pushed out of their homes because they couldn't keep pace with the rising costs. So it doesn't freeze it, but it caps it at a one and a half percent increase per year, which you could argue is too low. Maybe to properly have a more functioning market, it should be higher, Right, That's a debate you could have. I think there are some pragmatic things that it could be politically feasible. One is we should enable older residents to take their property tax benefit with them if they downsize, so that we can free up that housing stock. So if you're an older couple, or you're living alone and you've got four bedrooms and a suburban neighborhood somewhere, if we could incentivize you to capture that benefit and continue to have low property taxes by moving into a condo by the beach, like great we should allow for that flexibility and fluidity in the market. Another thing that could be done is you could say, well, having property taxes go up more than one and a half percent per year could price people out. But what if some of that actually accrued over time and then was assessed at the time that you sold the home, And so that way you're not getting hit each year with a larger, larger property tax bill that you can't afford when you're raising kids or whatever else you're doing. But when you eventually sell the house, presumably the house has appreciated. That's why your property taxes are going up. That then gets paid back in. But I would also just note I don't I think Prop thirteen reform is about fairness and distortions in the market. I think it's a mistake for Democrats to make it a big revenue generator, because the truth is, while it did reduce revenues to the state and to school districts, after it passed, we went and found a bunch of other sources of revenue. We created an income tax, we tax capital gains, we tax businesses, We tax everything. So our overall tax burden is the second highest or third high, depending on you measure it third highest in the country I've noticed. Yeah, yeah, so you're experiencing it. We found other ways to tax.
Speaker 2: You're right, we could talk about this forever, but you had a lot of things to do. Where can people find your campaign if they want to get involved, support you, knockdoors, donate whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for the opportunity. I appreciate all great questions. And my website is Mayhean Maha n for California dot com. You can find me on social media. If you have any follow up questions to this interview, shoot me an email. Otherwise, hope to see folks out there.
Speaker 2: Excellent, mister Mary, thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 5: In, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: That's our show for today. Thanks to Matt Mahon for stopping by. Alex will be back on the feed on Sunday with a conversation with our buddy norm Eiazen about the slush fund and all of Trump's other self dealing. Check it out everyone else, have a.
Speaker 3: Good weekend by everyone.
Speaker 1: Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari with Reed Jerling, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hethcote, Jordan Kantor, Charlotte Landis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East