Speaker 1: Good evening.
Speaker 2: The makers of the new Winso bring you the amoson Andy Show with their guest tonight, the lovely star of the new RKO Radio Picture Tender, Comrade, Miss Ginger Roger. Amoson Andy's theme is the perfect song every Friday Night.
Speaker 3: Now, my theme for tonight.
Speaker 2: Is rinso certainly gets around. However, Amos and Andy are ready and waiting, and here they come with their guests, Miss Ginger Rogers. Our story opens tonight not with Amos and Andy up in Harlem, but in Prichard's Department store downtown. We find missus Henry van Porter walking down one.
Speaker 3: Of the aisles, approaching the gift department.
Speaker 2: Behind the counter is the sales girl, Miss Ginger Rogers.
Speaker 4: Something I can do for you. I was looking for a pair of books, something not too gaudy and yet smart and chit.
Speaker 5: Has you got anything for a dollar?
Speaker 4: Well? Yes, we have these last ones here. They're on sale at a dollar. Oh yes, yes, there is charming, ain't it. They're a very good value. They're made by a very fine firm in San Diego. Oh imported. I'll take a pair of them please, all right, that'll be a dollar. Thread do you wish to take them a gift.
Speaker 5: No, this is a sin I want to wrap to the gifts and send to mister Andrew H.
Speaker 4: Brown at this address here. Fine, I'll see that it gets in the afternoon delivery.
Speaker 5: Oh what time should that drive there?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not sure our truck driver is getting a permanent wave today. She may be a little late.
Speaker 5: By the way, has you got any more than plastic pitt your frames that you advertised last week?
Speaker 4: Not a one of them last The way the women went for those things, you know, thought Frank Sinatra came with every frame in person. But we've got a new shipment coming in tomorrow morning, so be sure to be here early.
Speaker 1: Sol Kingfish, I started on a regular job, Brother Crawford, done got it for me, and I'm going to work well. And I wouldn't feel too bad about the thing. You might get a break and get fired at the end of the first week. No, no, the ain't no chance of that. And what's more, eyes really anxious to start on this job? Or when is you fools to start? And when does it happen? January the first I starts him to supply department at the Harlem Hospital. Oh, well, by that time you be yourself again. I guarantee that by January the foss this whole crazy feeling will leave you and go away. Wait a minute, Kingfish, I don't want it to go away. Other people's goes to work, and I'm gonna try it too. And do you know what you are letting yourself in for? You know that if you take the job, you able have to get up at seven o'clock every morning? Well, what's wrong with that? Other people do? It doesn't brother, And a seven o'clock was never meant for getting up hour. The only reason they got that number seven printed on the clock is so there won't be no blank space between six and eight. That's why. Well, Kingfish, all I gotta say is that I've done decided to take this job. Our brother Crawford done got it for me through a friend of his at the Harlem Hospital. And it's a good job. And well I'm going to work January the first. Well, and I guess you know what you're doing. I just hope that you ain't doing all this on the repulse of the minute. There's all the hope. Yeah, Well you see, Kingfish, Well, come in lightning.
Speaker 3: I heard that lightning oh hard man, No that that this package.
Speaker 4: Come fight over at the large hall.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Lightning.
Speaker 4: I wonder what's in it?
Speaker 1: Don't croud me like? Yeah, stand back legend he and and they can open it. A pair of bookends a book and what are they for, Misander? Well, to keep books from falling down?
Speaker 4: Oh that was a good invention.
Speaker 1: All right, here's the card. Thanks for everything, missus, Henry van puter h what's he thinking of?
Speaker 3: Da?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I kind of helped Henry the seller insurance policy. What in the world is you gonna do with glass bookends? Then? Well, I'll tell you what I'm gonna do conferentially and under your hat and just three the two of us, I'm gonna try to get the money back on Oh, it's going to exchange.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: If it was one thing that I hate, it's bookends. He was writing and taking back this President air far. You ain't got no use of bookends. Nah, kind of like a sandwich without nothing between the bread. Of course I could keep my funny papers in Tweenham, But that just looked like I was trying to put on the dog. Yeah, that's laying on heavy already. Tell you what fellas. I'm going down the Pritchard's departments though, and change these things right now, I'll see you later. Uh, pardon me, miss, I'd like to exchange these book ins.
Speaker 4: And what's wrong with them?
Speaker 1: I ain't got no.
Speaker 4: Book Oh let's see. Were these a gift?
Speaker 1: Yes, ma'am a missus van Porter sent them to me.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, now you're sure you don't want these? After all, they're imported from San Diego.
Speaker 1: Well, far as I have returned, they can send them back on the next book.
Speaker 4: Well, you see on sales merchandise.
Speaker 1: And well hello hello, missus van Porter.
Speaker 5: Oh what are you doing here? On those the book ends are bought here for you yesterday?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, that's right, that's right. You did give me these. I was just telling the sales lady here how I is bottom and did I want to buy three more pair? But you said you want to do I say I want to get the three more pairs?
Speaker 4: Well, I guess the customer is always right.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, miss, I'll stay ahere. Did you finish waiting on it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So here I is now king fished with four pair of bookeys. Yeah, if you're the piling up on you, yeah, I wouldn't give you money back.
Speaker 3: At the store.
Speaker 1: Uh no, I hid in the men's shoe department, so missus van Fold left. Then I went over there and try to get my money back.
Speaker 3: Or was it it?
Speaker 1: They say it was all sale merchandise. And when that stuff go out, it stays out. Well, don't worry, and I think everything goes turn out all right for you. Yeah, well it show is nice to you to bring me over this swapshop here, King kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'm glad to.
Speaker 1: Do it, and come on us, go on in. How are you thoms?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: My plan here, mister Brown h wants to talk to you about some bookends.
Speaker 3: Well, book ends is pretty hard to get these days. You just can't find them. But I'll let you have a couple of pairs, three dollars a pair.
Speaker 1: No, no, don't know. I want to buy none. I want to sell you something.
Speaker 3: Oh well, in that case, the market is flooded with him. See what I'll do. I'll give you a test that's a path for that market.
Speaker 1: Show got flooded fast.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a wave that come up there on this thing.
Speaker 8: Sure, well, to tell you the truth, Kingfish, i'd better swap stuff than to buy things for cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, uh, why did you swap me for these four pair of book ends? Well?
Speaker 8: Let me see now, let me see what you might be of use here. Now, how about this electric motor here? One quarter horsepower?
Speaker 1: H quarter horse power? What does that mean?
Speaker 8: Well, electrical speaking, it means that it generates the power of a quarter of a horse.
Speaker 1: Find it like a horse kicking with one leg?
Speaker 3: Huh that's the way.
Speaker 1: What could I use the motive for?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: You can use he was a motor for hundreds of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what would one thing be?
Speaker 8: Well, one thing is you? Well, the motor is good to have in case you want to make something goold.
Speaker 1: Right now, I ain't got nothing that needs going. Yeah, and if you ain't got nothing that needs going, then you sure don't need nothing to make.
Speaker 3: It go with. So how about a tennis racket?
Speaker 1: How would you put the motor on it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Just a plane tennis racket. It's still got most decreases in it.
Speaker 1: Would you take that king face? Hmm hm? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, no, well listen, how about a gas heater?
Speaker 1: No, no, I ain't got no gas in my room.
Speaker 3: What could you use a baby budget?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Up? Wait, a minute. Don't be silling. Oh hey, any wait a minute, you could use a baby now wait a minute, King fail, Oh who loved the bugget? Sam?
Speaker 3: It's a deal, but.
Speaker 1: Lessen, king up, pardon the deal. Give the man their book? Nd okay, okay, here.
Speaker 3: You is, Sam, and uh that'll be two dollars swapping charges.
Speaker 1: Oh two dollars h all right, anything to get rid of them book ins here you is? Thank you? Bring the baby buggy in? Come on in. Okay, now listen, King Kase, what is I gonna do with a baby buggy?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Look here? We done made a great deal.
Speaker 2: And I was talking to Slim Johnson las Night and him Minezuela has been looking.
Speaker 3: High and low for a used baby bugget.
Speaker 1: I think they'll pears hires eight dollars for it. Well, this thing ate in too good a shape. Come on and they will call up Slim. There's a phone in this Seaguar store right here. Okay, well, hey, look here there's brother Crawford's then from the Seaguars stor or.
Speaker 3: The Hello there, brother Crawfort, how is it?
Speaker 4: Hell on that boy?
Speaker 1: What are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: We was just down to the swap shop and got this baby buggy that we're gonna try to sell to somebody. Say, by the way, brother Crawf, but I want to thank you for getting me that job. And someday I'm gonna do something for you, Eh, Sandy, I'm bad you will if then it tells me here that it's going to help him January to fours at the Harlem Hospital. That's right, but don't thank me, Andy. My wife suggested that I recommends you for the jobs. He suggested that the day before she left to visit her mother. H say, what does you hang around here for, Brother Crawford? I am waiting for somebody. I'm a little early. Well, listen, brother Crawford, we got to go inside here and make a phone call. Would you mind keeping your eye on this baby buggy for a second? No, not if you're not too long. Well, I gotta be running along now, Amus, nothing else new, huh uh.
Speaker 6: No, our scept guy was riding along on the street car this morning, and I see Brother Crawford standing in front of a seagullf stoor with a baby buggy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, that's right. Me and the kingfish running to him there. Tell me, and when is it gonna happen January first at the Harlem Hospital.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I sure glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: Is it a secret? No, no, you can tell anybody you want to spread the good news all around so long here.
Speaker 6: Oh around town amo, Oh nothing much Depthy Crawfords is gonna have a baby, a baby when January the first at the Harlem Hospital.
Speaker 5: Well, Sapphire, just between you and me, the Crawlers is going to have a.
Speaker 7: Blessed eveit no, yeah, brother, and uh just here big news there?
Speaker 1: What is the news being Busy Crawford is going to have a baby. Well, why is it that I as always the last one to hear about something like that? That's who my wife to whom he is gonna help around January the first at the Harlem Hospital. Yeah. Well now that show is the COI Islands. You know I'm gonna start working in that same hospital on that same day. Well, be careful, Andy, don't let the baby see you work and know he was letting a young baby get a shock like that.
Speaker 2: After brother Crawford was seen standing on the corner watching the baby buggy for Andy, who had received it in exchange for his bookends at the swap shop. Words spread like wildfire through Harlem that the Crawfords are having a baby.
Speaker 1: That's what Andy and the Kingfish are discussing.
Speaker 3: Now in Andy's office.
Speaker 1: So well, when I hear that brother craw driving home tonight from visiting the kinfolks, I threw him away.
Speaker 3: I thought it'd be.
Speaker 1: Nice if we all got together and give the craw for a surprise baby shower.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, lies back at the thing, one hundred percent, King Fizz. After all, the Crawfords was pretty nice to me getting that job on it. Yeah, I figure I kind of order zifocate. Uh when when is the shower gonna be tonight? And at the bad life monk, we all to work fast on the team. Yeah, she done told everybody not to stay nothing bout him. Yeah, wait a minute, year the shower is gonna be tonight. I better hurry help them get a present. Come on, we'll shoot downtown to Pritchard's departments. Wait a minute, and they'll swim back out on the deal. Uh, why don't you give Crawford the baby buggy? Oh no, I'm gonna buy him something brand new.
Speaker 10: Come on, go right in, miss Rogers, Mister Pritchett is expected you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Oh come in Miss Rogers ahead, yeah, sit down, thank you.
Speaker 9: And how long have you been with our organization, Miss Rodgers?
Speaker 1: Two years?
Speaker 4: Two years? Well, surely, mister Pritchett, you remember nineteen thirty eight when I was the girl who won the Pritchard Award for customer approach fourth floor rear.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course.
Speaker 9: Well, I just wanted to tell you, Miss Rogers, that's starting to day. You are leaving book nds and brick a Brack and going.
Speaker 1: Into baby clothes.
Speaker 4: Baby clothes.
Speaker 9: Yes, the reason we have to make the transfer is dismss Rogers, our bookend and brick a Brack business has fallen off due to priorities, while on the other hand, baby clothes.
Speaker 4: I know the stork doesn't need a priority. He just comes in on a wing and a prayer. The jam is the pridget. I don't know anything about baby clothes.
Speaker 3: I realize that.
Speaker 9: That's why I want you to go up there as soon as possible and acquainke yourself with the stock sizes.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll do the best I can.
Speaker 9: Oh, and one more thing is Rogers, it might be advisable for you to lead the impression with your customers that you are a mother with the children of your own.
Speaker 4: Now, wait a minute, don't you think enough has happened to me for one day?
Speaker 9: Yes, but the customers seem to place both value and the advice of someone with the experience.
Speaker 4: Okay, maybe the change would be good for me. At least I'll meet some new faces.
Speaker 1: Oh, miss, can you take care of us?
Speaker 4: No, you don't. If you're bringing back bookends, go down to the first floor.
Speaker 1: No, ma'am, No, no, no, no, if that ain't it.
Speaker 3: Uh here, what we want? Something for a baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh, for a baby? What?
Speaker 9: Hell?
Speaker 4: Well, let's see what we've got here. Now, how about something like this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's pretty all right.
Speaker 3: No, sure, look at that.
Speaker 1: That is pretty Hey every baby already have one of them, I'll say, yeah. Uh uh what is it?
Speaker 4: Do you mean to say you don't know what this is?
Speaker 3: No, ma'am, No, I don't know what this neither.
Speaker 4: Well you've seen babies before, haven't you.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, we seed babies, all right, and.
Speaker 4: You have no idea at all what this thing is.
Speaker 1: No, ma'am.
Speaker 4: That's too bad, because I'm like to know what it is.
Speaker 5: Miss.
Speaker 1: Well, uh look here, look here stay here on the sign that read that? Or what is here? That be as gass and net?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Now what's the best in that?
Speaker 1: Well it looks like yeah to me, is just a planing wick a basket with some pink silk lining in it there. Yeah, I guess that's for a little girl around five years old. Maybe she delivers her mother's watching them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They who does thought them out young? Don't they?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Excuse me, miss, but if you show you as the right person away on us. Seem like to me that you don't know much about babies or what they wear?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding? I've got children of my own, six of them. Yeah, I forgot for a moment.
Speaker 1: H you forgot you had them?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that ain't the type of thing that usually slips the mother's mind, is it.
Speaker 4: Well, the babies are so much younger than I am. No, we don't have right much in common love the rascals, all seven of them.
Speaker 1: Seven. Uh you say you had six?
Speaker 4: Well their father's a rascal too. Well, come on, let's get going. How old is the baby you want something for?
Speaker 1: Well, you see it ain't born. You have to some friends ours is gonna have a baby and were giving them a baby shower. We want to get something though, that the baby will be able to use right after it's born.
Speaker 4: Well, how about this kitty car here? That would be just the thing. I could still see. My little girl gwentdlin when she was only two weeks old, risen around the block in one of those kitty cars.
Speaker 1: Uh you say, willing on the block, and just since she was two weeks old.
Speaker 4: Remarkable child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess I was a little old fashioned, but I can't I had an idea that all babies stayed in bed for the first four or five months.
Speaker 4: Let's just show how much guys know about babies.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, how old is your little girl?
Speaker 4: Just passed three?
Speaker 1: Man? Just about ready to drive on car right now? This little sweater here might be something. I wonder what size we ought to get in that? Well, there's gonna be for a newborn baby. I guess it would depend on the weight. How much the newborn babies weigh mass?
Speaker 4: Well, they usually run around the eight or nine pounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what size you think we ought to take that?
Speaker 4: I'll figure it out for you. I one hundred and twenty and I take a size thirty six. I'll do a little riding here. Now, if I weighed sixty pounds, i'd be half of thirty six i'd taken eighteen thirty pounds, would take a nine fifteen pounds, four and half a half. I think that does it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: What siye? Would you take two and seven tenths?
Speaker 4: All right? Then?
Speaker 1: Uh, you take one of them.
Speaker 4: I'll give it to you right now. Let me see here is there one phrase? I'm sorry, we're all out of two and seven tenths.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be some shower we given. No right now, it looks more like a drizzle.
Speaker 4: Now look here, the sword's gonna close in five minutes. Not got a heavy date tonight. So if you're gonna get a get to that baby, you better hurry up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what else is there?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 4: How about a pair of these nice little booties, or a crib or a blanket? Say a baby buggy?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, we already have got a baby buggy man.
Speaker 4: Yes, but didn't you say the baby hadn't been born yet?
Speaker 1: That's coming January fourth at the Harlem hospital.
Speaker 4: Did you say it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what you call them till the day they rive. Sure, of course later on it's going to be a boy or a girl. Yeah, but right now it's a hit.
Speaker 4: Did it ever occur to you that there might be two babies twins? Well a fine thing, two babies and one baby buggy? But you see, I can see the mother now going down the street wheeling one of the babies and a buggy. But what happens to the other poor little kid?
Speaker 5: Hey walks?
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't mean.
Speaker 4: How are you going to feel? You? Who could have made it possible for both of these little children to ride?
Speaker 1: I didn't do nothing to that, King fee.
Speaker 3: And I ain't even speaking to you.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 4: And if you don't buy this baby buggy, why just think of what people will say?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess i'd better. I don't want to have people talking about.
Speaker 4: Me sold one baby buggy?
Speaker 3: Well both.
Speaker 4: It won't be long now.
Speaker 3: Yes, he musty Crawfords ought to be here in a second now.
Speaker 5: Yes, And memberby is all supposed to hollow surprise when they come in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they will be surprised because they don't know that we know nothing about it.
Speaker 5: Just looks pretty bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should do sapphire, you know, Kingfish are kind of glad Slim didn't want that baby buggy because we're two buggies. Now I'm giving the Coffers the nicest present they're gonna get. Yes, and I think that Prayon said that I finally good for the baby order to make a hit too. Yeah, quiet, everybody that is not quiet? And look here when I let him in, you knows what they're gonna holler. Here we go, sour.
Speaker 3: Surprise? What is it? Yes?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: It is? Now?
Speaker 5: By day?
Speaker 4: Are annadvice?
Speaker 1: Brother Corford, ain't no use for you and your wife pre tendor no longer we knows all about us?
Speaker 3: Ha ha ha.
Speaker 9: Really yes, brother Coauford, do understands your new income texted Dushing.
Speaker 3: Is due to arrivee around January the first. I don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about it?
Speaker 1: Oh with your kidding, brother cowverd. I can't wait till they comes up to your house and hear you saying kuchi couci coo?
Speaker 6: And would you mind telling me what reason I would have for saying kuchikuchi coo?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Brother cwer what is it? Andy goo goo?
Speaker 4: I wish you would tell me and my husband what this is all about we fanca see any.
Speaker 1: You may, well, I guess we're just gonna have to make it fast up. Well, here this is from me and Ruby, this little peek knitted sweater. Oh this is a joke. How would you expect my wife to get into that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Still playing dumb, Still playing dumb.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 1: Listen, we might as well get right down to business. Then, to the little air of the Crawford Fortunes, the new off springs that is due to arrive around January to us. I would like to present these two baby buggies from and to h Brown so that one baby won't have to walk.
Speaker 4: Baby buggies. This is the craziest thing I ever heard of. We are not having any baby, or you ain't.
Speaker 1: No, we are not weird are gonna tell you her? Well, listen, you mean to say that you ain't having any baby at all?
Speaker 3: Certainly we are not.
Speaker 1: Brother Crawfers. You can't do this to us. After all the trouble we've done.
Speaker 4: Gone to.
Speaker 1: Eyes down Kingfish on top of everything else. Brother Crawfer doesn't fish it, So I won't get that job now either.
Speaker 3: All right, of course I'll take care of you.
Speaker 1: Now, What was it you wanted, Sam, I ain't got no use for these two baby buggies, and I want to slap him for something else. You got nothing new since we was here, No, and the same old stuff. Well, I don't know what to take. There wasn't nothing here I wanted before.
Speaker 3: Well, why don't you try to grab bus well split into him?
Speaker 9: What is that?
Speaker 8: Well, that's like a grab bag. Everything's all wrapped up and you might make a great swap. On the other hand, maybe you won't do so good, but at least you'll get your money's worth.
Speaker 1: Well, that's for me. That's a deal. Take the baby buggets here I go.
Speaker 3: Just a minute, and that there's a two dollars swapping charge.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, here you is. Yeah, well grab one of the boxes, don Yeah, at least I got a heavy one. Yeah, and they opened it up. Let's see what you got there? Yeah, what you get? And what you get there's them four pair of book ends. Again, eyes were gout. Join us again next week at the same time for the Amos.
Speaker 2: And Andy Show, at which time the boy's guest will be that self styled expert on marriage problems, mister Robert Benchley. Thanks to Miss Ginger Rogers for being our guest. Tonight, the Amos and Andy show a short wave to all our armed forces overseas, Missus Harlow Wilcox, And before we say good night, I have one further important reminder. We all know that the beautiful Christmas seals which grace millions of letters and packages at this time of the year, are more than mere decoration. That they are in reality, the expression of the generosity of a nation's heart. For the Christmas seals you buy are among the most effective weapons against tuberculosis. But there's an interesting and not too well known story behind the fight against the Great White Plague? Did you know that the war waged against tuberculosis owes much of its success to the veterinary profession. Yes, not only did veterinarians join with the medical profession in efforts to stamp out tuberculosis in man and beast, but they've pioneered many advances in the scientific attack on the disease, including the eradication of bolvying tuberculosis. We can thank the veterinarians for the safe, pure milk we drink through their efforts. That tubercular cow is nearly as extinct as the dodo bird. I just thought you'd be interested in that side light on the organized campaign to stamp out human suffering veterinarians and physicians on the one hand, you and your purchases of Christmas.
Speaker 1: Seals on the other.
Speaker 2: What a privilege you have to do your share in this great fight merely by buying Christmas Seals.
Speaker 1: Thank you and good night. This is a national broadcasting company.