Speaker 1: In the mid nineteen seventies, a Philadelphia shoemaker and father of seven embarked on a terrifying crime spree with his teenage son that left a trail of violence, psychological horror, and murder across multiple states. What began as strange hallucinations and twisted orthopedic experiments spiraled into sadistic assaults, arson and the killing of innocent victims that included his own child. This is the chilling true story of a man who believed he was chosen by God to either heal humanity or destroy it. This is the story of Joseph Collinger, aka the Shoemaker.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following material for a mature audience listener disction. I am tired today. I don't know why it's Tuesday, but it feels like a Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually it's been a week.
Speaker 1: It has been. It's been a whole week wrapped in only a couple of days. I honestly thought it was Friday for a moment there a couple of minutes ago, and it kind of blew my mind that it was only Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like, oh, we got to get our patrons or thank our patrons. You're like, huh yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's Friday though, and then it clicked, No, it's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: It's too.
Speaker 1: Well shit, Yeah, while we're on the top of patrons, let's thank our patrons. So shout out and thank you to Linda Wolstein, Carrie, Leanne Grange, Kristen Graves and super Grams. Thank you very much for you know, supporting us over on the good old Patreons.
Speaker 2: No kidding, we're really in for it today.
Speaker 1: Hey, oh yes we are. This is actually a Patreon requested case. So what we did is we went over on Patreon. We were like, give us some cases. In the comments, they just you know, went off in a bunch of cases. We picked the ones with the most likes, top four, and then put it into a poll and then everyone voted on which one they wanted out of those top four. And this case has been on my list for a long time. I just never pulled the trigger on it. And we're overdue. And it is a doozy of a case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like this one. It almost just makes you you kind of you think, like, holy shit, Is this actually for real?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is this? Could this happen in our world?
Speaker 1: And it did well? And you don't even know the tip of the iceberg on this case.
Speaker 2: No, I know very little really, but it's a big one.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: There was a lot that I didn't know about this case when I went into researching, and wait that happened.
Speaker 2: Holy fuck, we're gonna be very disturbed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are so well, I'm already disturbed. If you guys know this case, you're with me, And if you don't know this case, you're with Nicole, and you're gonna be disturbed on the way. Trust me on that one, because ding dang, ding dang. This is a doozy. So you ready, I think so, you think? So, let's do it. Okay, let's do it all right? Well, on the surface, Joseph Cullinger was no different than any other working class father in mid century America. He lived in a modest home in Philadelphia, ran a small shoe repair business, and raised his children alongside his wife. Betty yabors knew him as a quiet man, bit eccentric. He had a fondness for tinkering with shoes and odd inventions, and kept largely to himself. To the outside world, he was unremarkable, but behind closed doors, something monstrous was stirring. By the time his story would come to light, Joseph Collinger would be responsible for a string of crimes so bizarre, brutal, and senseless they would leave one sorry, not one, several seasoned detectives absolutely stunned. His victims would include the innocent, the unsuspecting, and, most chillingly, his own flesh and blood. He would be described by psychiatrists as deeply disturbed, plagued by visions, and controlled by what he claimed were divine commands to destroy humanity. But none of that was visible from the beginning. There were no early newspaper headlines warning of danger, no police reports hinting at the darkness behind mind, the walls that were brewing inside. Just a man who fixed shoes for a living, a man who would eventually tell the world that God himself had chosen him for a terrible mission, one that would begin with one death and spiral into a surreal nightmare of violence and absolute madness. Now, what drove Joseph Collinger to kill wasn't greed, vengeance, or even hatred in the ordinary sense. Anyways, his crimes were fueled by something far more unsettling, but long before the world knew his name as a murderer, Joseph Collinger was a boy scarred by rejection, abuse, and a mine unraveling from within. He was born Joseph Lee Brenner II on December eleventh, nineteen thirty five, in Philadelphia, to a young woman named Judith Renner.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Judith's life was full of hardship. She survived polio as a child, spent years bouncing betwe qween foster homes, and found herself in a failing marriage. She found herself pregnant by a married man and was terrified of losing custody of a current daughter, Muriel. She was barely able to make ends meet, so Judith made a desperate choice. She was to place her now newborn son into an orphanage, hoping a family somewhere out there could give him the life that she couldn't. That family turned out to be Stephen and Anna Cullinger, Australian immigrants who owned a modest shoe repair shop in Philadelphia. Outwards, they seem like a hard working couple, but inside the walls of their home a far darker reality. Played out. The Callingers were very deeply strict, emotionally distant, and prone to violence. They brought Joseph home at a young age, just three, not out of love, though, but as insurance against loneliness in old age, which, in my opinion, is not a reason to.
Speaker 3: Have a child.
Speaker 2: Oh not at all. Here, Okay, I'm intrigued to hear this because I'm like, oh, man, did they just get a child that was pretty much born this way? Or you know, did they kind of create this?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of discrepancies and discussions in the mind of Joseph Cullinger as he got older and became who he was. So if you have some thoughts and opinions, love to hear it, because it is still something massively debated.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, from the very beginning, joseph life with his adoptive parents was one of cruelty and isolation. The Callingers believed in rigid discipline and harsh punishments, and that these were necessary to mold good character and individuals. They showed no affection, no warmth, and no understanding. Every misstep, no matter how small, was met with terrifying punishments. At times, he was even forced to kneel on sandpaper until his knees split open his skin was bleeding. He asked to attend some school outings even at one point, and his mother responded with beating him with a hammer. One particularly disturbing incident defined his early years. When Joseph was around the age of five, he was caught touching himself, an innocent act of childhood curiosity, you know what, learning about their body, that sort of thing. Yeah, and Joseph he was also diagnosed with a hernia earlier that year, and his parents told him in this incident that the doctor who repaired his hernia also fixed his penis to stop it from ever becoming aroused because his genitals quote housed the devil.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, that's that's something.
Speaker 1: And they told him he had been cured of sin and sexuality at five, at five years old, okay. Now, That chilling lie planted a sea of confusion, fear, and obsession that would twist Joseph's relationship with his own body and with others for the rest of his life. As the abuse continued, Joseph withdrew further into himself. He even later began to steal his father's shoemaking knife, hiding it in his room late at night, using it in disturbing ways. He would slice holes in the walls, masturbating while fixating on knives and mutilating images. But even then he felt both exhilarated and disgusted by his own actions. At eight years old, Joseph endured yet another trauma that further shaped his fractured psyche. While running errands near the set of abandoned train tracks, a place where he often visited to escape his impressive home life, he stumbled upon a group of slightly older boys from his neighborhood. Now these boys were let's just say, engaging in quote mutual sexual acts with one another, okay, But rather than letting Joseph leave when he encountered them or ignoring his presence, the boys reacted cruel cruelly. At knife point, they forced Joseph to participate in the acts against his will, and in that moment, Joseph became a victim of sexual assault and was forced to perform oral sex on one of the boys. He was terrified, confused, and utterly powerless in the situation. It was a horrific experience for someone so young, let alone anyone of any age. But it combined overwhelming fear with feelings of helplessness, and it etched into him in a dangerous way for associating between sex, violence, and domination. By adolescence, Joseph's life had splintered into two worlds, the outer appearance of a quiet, isolated boy and an inner life dominated by dark fantasies. His obsessions with knives deepened, his fantasies turned violent. He would tear out magazine photos of women, stabbing the pictures before ejaculating and climaxing, only to be consumed by overwhelming guilt afterwards. And then came the voices. At age fifteen, Joseph heard what he believed would be the voice of God. It wasn't just a fleeting thought, though, it was a full on auditory hallucination. The voice told him he had a divine mission through orthopedic manipulation. By controlling the feet of people, he would control the mind. He was to heal mankind by altering how people walked. What began as an isolated delusion soon consumed him, and he would eventually even go on to conduct over forty thousand orthopedic experiments over the next two decades, creating strange heal inserts, meticulously documenting shoe altercations and alterations, becoming convinced that he was destined to either save the world or even at times destroy it. But while his mind focused on this imagined calling, the emotional damage and loneliness only deepened. The boy who had never been wanted, never been loved, and never knew safety was growing into a man teetering on the brink of madness. Now in his late teens, Joseph calling Or seemed on the surface to be pulling his life together. He dropped out of high school, but he found steady work in the only trade he knew, shoemaking, where he of course was building on this obsession. But more surprisingly, he fell in love. At age sixteen, he married a young woman named Hilda, and the two started a family together in Philadelphia. But Joseph's past wasn't something he could leave behind. The deep psychological scars and the growing mental illness that had taken root in his childhood followed him into adulthood. Early signs of paranoia, obsessive thinking, and explosive temper surfaced almost immediately. His relationship with Hilda was volatile. When she gave birth to their first child, she in fact showed little interest in motherhood, a reality that pushed Joseph further into despair, and by the time their second child arrived, Hilda was desperate to leave. In fact, she even sought an abortion, a decision Joseph, despite his own dark nature, completely opposed. The marriage collapsed soon after, and Hilda abandoned the children, leaving Joseph with them.
Speaker 2: Oh Man, those poor kids.
Speaker 1: Joseph, overwhelmed by the rejection, placed the children in temporary care and filed for di vorce. This pattern of abandonment, paranoia, and spiraling mental health would soon become a hallmark in Joseph's life. But before his most violent impulses took hold, there was one more attempt at some normalcy. In nineteen fifty eight, Joseph met Betty, a young woman with whom he shared an immediate connection. They married not long after, and for a brief time, life seemed stable. They eventually had five children together, in fact, Michael, Joey, Mary, Joe, Jimmy, and little Bonnie. Joseph also reconnected with the two children from his first marriage, bringing the total number of children that he fathered to seven, but stability was more or less an illusion. Joseph's control over Betty quickly became oppressive. He grew jealous, paranoid that she would leave him as Hilda had, and he installed bars in the windows forbade her from leaving the house without him, and controlled every aspect of her life. His mental health, untreated and deteriorating, began to manifest in more alarming ways. He heard voices both divine and demonic. He spoke of visions. He developed bizarre compulsions, installing a homemade bowling lane in their bedroom, which honestly sounds fucking awesome to me.
Speaker 2: Also, like if someone wants to sleep and the other person wants to bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, don't even the voices, all that shit. Everything sounds horrible. But just a bowling lane in your house, I'm sold. I'm sorry, that sounds so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does sound cool. I also just have to say, though, the just like listening to his upbringing and like even him as like a young adult. Now, it's just it's quite a lot. Really, it is a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot for anyone to bear. Yeah, it's a burden that will be carried throughout someone's entire life experiences like that shape someone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so I'm fully thinking like he was sort of developed into this. He may also have mental health issues that need to be treated, and back then, I don't really know if they had, you know, necessarily treatment for that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Well, there are some things about some of his mental health things that may have come out of his upbringing, but there's also speculation on some of the things that he may have also just had.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you have some things where you know what, you're already being affected in your upbringing, then you're just born with certain things, and it makes this like soup of what the fuck? Maybe that's how he turned out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but try me.
Speaker 1: We'll discuss that near the end. Now, there were some other things he was doing other than you know, just building bowling alleys in his bedroom. He even forced Betty to make dozens of cups of tea in the middle of a night and obsessively bringing home junk for his orthopedic experiments that he was now progressing tea tea.
Speaker 2: Okay, like dozens of coups wanted or he just wanted her to make this.
Speaker 1: I I'm actually I'm not too sure if he was specifically drinking them all. But he's just like, yeah, go make some tea for me.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I'm assuming he was drinking them.
Speaker 2: Man, if we wake up at the same time we're in the middle of that, you know what, I'm going to be asking.
Speaker 1: For a bowling lane, No, for a cup of tea. Yeah. Now, as strange as these behaviors were, they weren't violent yet physically violent at the very least. There was some psychological stuff behind some of them, for sure, but the more violent things would come later. In nineteen sixty seven, financial troubles and Joseph's declining mental state forced the family to move into a home with his adoptive parents, the very people who had abused him as a child.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, and yeah, he's bringing his kids into that environment.
Speaker 1: Being back in that house reawakened some old traumas Joseph's erratic, volatile behavior, it just compounded. He would pace the halls for hours at night, dragging his children with him on midnight walks, convincing everyone around him or trying to that unseen enemies were watching them. The visions grew darker. He became obsessed with fire, In fact, multiple times he even set their home ablaze, claiming voices had commanded him to do it.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: The family suffered repeated financial ruin from these arson attacks, but Betty, isolated, controlled, and very much so guaranteed to be afraid, she stayed. It was also during that time that Joseph began to involve his children, particularly his son Michael, and his twisted fantasies. He created what he called lessons, where he would take his children one at a time into the basement and expose them to disturbing rituals. While there's no indication that he sexually assaulted his children in these rituals, the psychological damage was profound. Let's say the lessons often involved nudity, knives, and acts that blurred the line between discipline and complete trauma. Yet despite everything, Joseph still maintained that double life. By day, he was the neighborhood shoemaker, a quiet man running his own business. By night, his mind was unraveling. The once innocent orthopedic experiments turned obsessive. He kept carving new inserts, convinced that by manipulating how people walked, he could cure diseases, control thoughts or bring about salvation. But Joseph's visions were beginning to shift. The command to heal the world through shoes was giving a way to something a little more darker.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, I have a quick question. Was he getting like a good or bad reputation with what he was doing to people's shoes? And like you almost wonder if he was getting complaints or anything, like people are getting their shoe back and being like this doesn't feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure if he was doing things like that people would notice per se. Oh like maybe instead of like certain maybe put a certain type of wood in the heel for support, things like that. I'm not too sure exactly. I didn't dive into the things he was doing, Okay. I mean, if you're doing over forty thousand different experiments, I can only imagine how many different things you try different threads. Maybe it'd sprinkle certain types of sand underneath like who knows, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it could be very minor things that people may not even notice. I guess say I.
Speaker 1: Would assume it was things that people wouldn't really notice. At least most of them wouldn't be noticeable. That's my assumption, right in January nineteen seventy two, just a few years before his ultimate spiral, Joseph had actually been arrested for child cruelty and assault after two of his children, Joey and Mary joe fled their home and went to police. They told horrifying stories of years of physical and psychological torment, some of those things he was doing in the ritual rights. In one chilling example, Joseph had burned Joey's inner thigh with a heated metal spatula, supposedly to stop him from quote sinning damn. And then he had beaten his other son with a metal head of a hammer. The case went to court, and though he was convicted, Joseph avoided jail time, receiving psychiatric probation instead. But for some in law enforcement, the image of Joseph Kalinger as a dangerous and disturbed man had already taken root.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: It was at this point in the early nineteen seventies that Joseph Kalinger's descent into madness officially passed the point of no return. He was no longer a reluctant prophet seeking to save humanity. He was now a chosen individual or instrument to destroy it, and for that he decided he would need an accomplice. His oldest son with Betty, Michael Kallinger, became the focus of Joseph's new terrifying plan. Michael was just twelve years old when his father approached him in an unthinkable proposal. Together, they would carry out robberies and eventually murder. Joseph framed this as a divine mission, a father and sons bond sealed not by love but by blood and violence. Now, whether through fear, manipulation, or damage already inflicted upon him, Michael agreed to his dad's proposal without hesitation.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was twelve years old. I feel like almost any twelve year old would agree to whatever their dad was, yeah, you know, propositioning to them.
Speaker 1: Exactly, trusting in their father for what this could be.
Speaker 2: Right, so disturbing.
Speaker 1: Now. The first crimes were relatively small. In June of nineteen seventy four, Joseph and Michael began committing a string of burglaries across Pennsylvania and New Jersey. They still cash, jewelry and anything of value, but something darker was stirring beneath these petty crimes. Joseph's hallucinations were still escalating, and the voices were growing louder. They didn't just want theft, They've demanded a sacrifice. On July seventh, nineteen seventy four, Joseph told Michael he wanted to kill someone that day. There was no discussion, no debate. Michael simply said, okay, Oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, this is just so not okay.
Speaker 1: The pair set out into the streets of Philadelphia that afternoon, hunting for a victim. Near a playground, they spotted a boy, oh no, nine year old jose Colazo, playing alone with a cigarette lighter. Joseph approached him, kindly, striking up a conversation, and he told the boy that he needed help moving boxes and promise he'd be home by nine o'clock. Now jose likely hesitated, but, as children often do, and fronted by an adult for one reason or another, he agreed to help. Joseph led the boy to an abandoned building near G Street and Indiana Avenue, an old, crumbling factory with no power, no lights, and no one around inside. They bound the boy's hands and ankles with an old electrical cord. As jose began to panic, Michael, on his father's command, sodomized the young nine.
Speaker 2: Year old joh Okay, this is just the freaking start too, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Then, with chilling calm Michael severed the boy's penis with a knife, and then the two left the boy to bleed to death in the dark, taking his clothes with them as they slipped back into the night.
Speaker 2: So he did die.
Speaker 1: Back at home, they ate dinner with their family as though nothing ever happened. It was Joseph's first real murder and had not brought the satisfaction that he had imagined.
Speaker 4: Oh man.
Speaker 1: He later confessed that he was disappointed by how dark it had been in the factory. He couldn't even see the blood.
Speaker 2: Clearly, Holy shit, like, oh like a nine year old boy. They just did this too correct, and it just like unleashed the beast. Really, I feel like of what's to come.
Speaker 1: That's the start. Yes, yeah, Now, the sickness was evolving, and that is a thing that's constantly going on with this is this battle, this illness, with these these inner demons or these voices, however you want to put it. It was constantly growing, constantly getting stronger, constantly getting darker, and two weeks later, on July twenty first, nineteen seventy four, Joseph's visions turned inward. This time, the voices named his own thirteen year old son, Joey as the next sacrifice. He claimed to see Joey falling from a mountaintop, and the message was clear. To fulfill the MISSI, he needed to kill his own child. Joseph planned several failed attempts. He took Joey, Michael, and his youngest son Jimmy, to bus terminals, train stations, and even towards abandoned mine shafts. Each time Joseph's courage faltered, though it's obvious what he was planning, he would panic, make an excuse and abandon the plans, and at one point he even tried to set up an accidental fall from a construction site, positioning Joey for a photo near the scaffolding edge. But again you couldn't follow through. The pressure from the visions were relentless, though, and Michael, by now fully immersed in his father's warped world, urged him on.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I was going to ask if he knew this plan.
Speaker 1: Michael knew, and shockingly enough, no, he's he's pushing his father to actually go for the killing and make it happen.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 1: Then finally, on July twenty eighth, nineteen seventy four, Joseph made good on his prophecy. After another staged outing, they lured Joey into an abandoned construction site. They found a steel staircase that led underground to a partially flooded sub basement. There, Joseph and Michael handcuffed Joey to a metal ladder and submerged him into the water until he drowned.
Speaker 2: Oh whoa, Okay, that that's a terrible way to die.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They left his body there in the water, walked home in silence, and reported Joey missing later that night, as if nothing happened.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one thing to go about like hurting I guess people you don't really know, which is still terrible, don't get me wrong. But then to actually do it to a kid that you like created is pretty messed up.
Speaker 1: It's it seems like, yeah, it's there's a lot more going on there. Yeah. Yeah, Like you say, it's terrible regardless of who, But there there's that attachment, there's that bond there, it's breaking something almost sacred in a real relationship, you know, like a father should be protective exactly and instead he's doing the exact opposite.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Now, for two weeks, Joseph even pretended to search for his missing son, joining community efforts and police investigations. No way, and on August ninth, Joey's decomposed body was found, but the case of the death was was listed as undetermined. Police quietly suspected Joseph, but without evidence, the case was stalled. Now Joseph's mind was at this point no longer his own. After the murder of his son Joey in July of nineteen seventy four, Joseph Collinger's descent into madness continued to accelerate at a much deeper level. The death of his son had broken something permanent, and the whispers he heard, the twisted commands, they were louder than ever before. The act of killing, which he believed was divinely mandated mission, didn't bring the relief of transformation he had imagined. Instead, the voices in his head, the ones that had come to identify as God's command, or so he said, only grew louder and more erratic. The next target in his twisted vision became his youngest child, fifteen month old Bonnie. Born with mysterious sores on her skin, Bonnie became a focal point of a new delusion. Joseph became convinced that the only way to heal her was through a grotesque ritual combining a woman's vaginal fluids with his own semen and perfume, which he believed would create a salve to cure her.
Speaker 2: Holy like, how can someone even come up with that shit?
Speaker 1: While in pursuit of this cure quote unquote, Joseph enlisted Michael once again. On November twenty second, nineteen seventy four, they traveled across the river to Camden, New Jersey. There, they selected a woman aimed Joan Cardi, posing as door to door salesman selling tie clips, which was a trick to confirm whether there was men present in the house or not. They gained entry to her home and once inside, they bound her, stripped her, and Joseph sexually assaulted her, not for gratification, but to obtain the bodily fluids he believed were key to saving his daughter. Then, returning home with what he collected. He followed the ritual meticulously. He mixed the stolen fluids with perfume and his own seamen and applied it to bonnie sores, but unsurprisingly, nothing happened. The child's condition remained unchanged, and another delusion was another failure.
Speaker 2: That is so fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is wholly. With his frustration and despair deepening, Joseph's hallucinations again shifted his mission briefly shifted back to healing, but it was now no longer about that healing. It was now about pure destruction. To him. It was a matter of he couldn't save the world, so since that's the case, he now needs to tear it down. So on December third, nineteen seventy four, Joseph and Michael set out again, this time to Susquehanna, Pennsylvania. They broke into the home of sixty five year old Helen Bogan while she was out shopping. When Helen returned around eleven thirty am arms full of groceries, Joseph ambushed her. He pressed a butcher knife to her cheek and forced her upstairs, bound her to an overturned bed frame. He then doused cotton balls with lighter fluids and placed them on her eyes, his plan to burn her alive, igniting her face as the hallucinations were demanding. However, at the very last second, these hallucinations, these voices, the visions, they stopped. They vanished, just as he had with Joey. Joseph now was hesitating. The voices were gone, and with them, the will to kill did leave as well, And before he could decide what to do, the doorbell rang. Helen's Bridge. Friends were arriving for their weekly.
Speaker 2: Game, Oh thank goodness.
Speaker 1: So one by one Joseph overpowered each new arrival at the door, oh Ethel Cohen Thalmasudin and Anna Pearl Frankston. Each was tied up with makeshift restraints. Joseph maintained an eerie calm, even in fact, he was granting some small kindnesses. He let one woman keep her glasses. He honored another's request to not be gagged due to breathing issues. His delusions were selective. Some boundaries remained, others didn't. Meanwhile, Michael was growing increasingly restless. He viewed the hesitation as weakness. He wanted the killings to happen, not the elaborate games that Joseph seemed to trap him in, but once again the murders didn't material materialize. Instead, they robbed the house, stealing around twenty thousand dollars or so worth of cash, jewelry, and then left the victims physically unharmed.
Speaker 2: Okay, here, At first, I was like, oh, man, okay, they're gonna run off like someone's at the door. But then they started tying them up. I was like, oh shit, yes, but.
Speaker 1: With the with the delusions and voices and such, with them actually stopping, that will to kill was now gone. Okay, So he's sitting here in this situation, calmly taking care of it, calmly making sure he has the control he needs, and then resolving it with well, let's just rob the place and go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: On December tenth, just one week later, Joseph and Michael struck again, this time in another upper middle class neighborhood. They broke into the home of Pamela Jossich just Chi. There we go, Just Chi. Joseph forced her at gunpoint to perform oral sex while Michael ransacked the house. Once again, they left without killing, but each encounter edged them closer to the inevitable than On January sixteenth, nineteenth seventy five, they attacked again. This time it was Mary Rudolph, a woman in Dumont, New Jersey. The pattern was identical, home invasion, binding, sexual assault, robbery. Again, the hallucinations, though, were dictating the behavior, and when the visions dispatched, so did the resolve to kill. Michael was now barely a teenager. He was increasingly becoming eager for violence and to commit these crimes, and became openly frustrated with his father's restraint. Each time Joseph failed to follow through, the tension built. His belief was that he was destined to destroy humanity, pressed harder, and this already fragile mind was there and its cracking. Michael, for his part, was no longer just a willing participant. He was becoming a co conspirator with it all at this point, with his own dark desires and his own mind that was beginning to crack. The pace of their crimes were quickening. The escalation was coming, and this time, when the visions were turned, Joseph wouldn't stop, because he was officially hurtling towards complete psychological collapse. His hallucinations once sporadic, were then building and have now become constant companions always with him, and with thirteen year old Michael desensitized and eager for violence, it was all too much. He was willing to follow his father's lead, and on January eighth, nineteen seventy five, the pair arrived in Leonia, New Jersey. Their target the home of the Kneller family. The home belonged to Rita and Randy Kneller, who lived there with their young son and bedridden elderly grandmother. When Joseph and Michael entered the home, they immediately took control, brandishing a gun and a knife. The women, terrified, complied as Joseph gathered them together on the main floor of the house. Now the grandmother, helplessly upstairs, was left untouched. The invaders began methodically tying up the hostages with whatever they could find electrical cords, coat hangers, belts. But as they worked, the front doorbell rang Visitors the Kneller's friends were arriving one by one. Joseph calmly answered the door and ushered each new arrival into the unfolding nightmare inside. A total of eight hostages were eventually brought under control, including a young boy and a woman by the name of Maria Fashing, a twenty one year old nurse and family friend who had come to visit. She was the last one to enter the home. For Joseph, Maria would become the symbol of everything the voice in his head demanded he destroyed. The atmosphere inside the house was tense but eerily controlled. Joseph seemed oddly polite at moments, even apologetic. He told his captives he wasn't going to hurt them, just rob them, he reassured. The women even follow following what he had done before, allowing small comforts. But underneath the surface, the hallucinations were still there. The supreme power, the dark figure Joseph saw on his visions, whispered that this wasn't enough. Blood needed to be spilt. This time, Joseph ordered the largest man amongst the captives to a pipe in the basement, where he was bound to it. The original plan, if it could be called that, was to mutilate the man's genitals, a twisted act Joseph believed was central to his new divine mission of destroying mankind by attacking sexuality itself. But Joseph's hallucinations in that moment, In that last moment shifted Now in his mind, it wasn't this man who he needed to start with. It was Maria instead, who became the target. See, she was vocal and defiant. Joseph had brought her into the basement and demanded that she assisted in the mutilation of this man, but she flat out refused, telling him she would rather die than do what he demanded. She didn't beg she didn't break nothing, and this was exactly the trigger that the visions demanded. In that moment, she was now the target. Joseph grabbed a knife and stabbed Maria in the neck. She tried to scream, but she could only gurgle as blood spilled into her airway. Joseph stabbed her again and again until her body crumpled to the basement floor, spilling blood onto the concrete. In that moment, the calling Air killing spree had finally claimed its first adult victim. The barrier Joseph had so often stopped short of crossing was obliterated, and that murder triggered chaos. Meanwhile, upstairs, one of the women managed to break free and she ran screaming into the streets. Neighbors heard the commotion, and sirens quickly followed.
Speaker 2: Okays, like quickly, I'm like this could turn into just a complete like bloodbath.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Panicking, Joseph and Michael fled the house on foot, abandoning everything, hostages, weapons, stolen goods, all of it as they ran. Joseph even discarded a blood soaked shirt that he wore that even bore his last name on the laundry tag holy. In his frantic state, he left caution to the wind. Maria fashion was dead. The rest of the hostages, including the young child, survived, but the horror they endured would haunt them forever. Within days, the police were now closing in on Joseph. A neighbor had seen two men washing their hands and faces in a puddle near baseball field not far from the Neller home, discarding clothing. Witnesses had partial descriptions. The investigators were already of where Joseph, callingear's history, his prior arrest for child abuse, his missing son, his erratic behavior, and when Maria's murder first hit the news, detectives quietly zeroed in on him. On January seventeenth, nineteen seventy five, just nine days after that murder, Joseph and Michael would be arrested. Police arrived at the calling her home. Joseph was already known to law enforcement thanks to his prior arrest and those sort of things. What they didn't know, what no one could have predicted, was that just how dark his crimes had become. Joseph and Michael were sitting inside the modest home in Philadelphia when officers knocked in the front door. They were casually sorting through stolen coins from their recent robberies. Joseph's wife, Betty, answered the door. When officers demanded entry, She asked for a warrant, but in that moment, Joseph and Michael attempted to flee, reportedly trying to sneak out the back, but it was useless. The house was surrounded and they were quickly handcuffed on the spot. What followed was an unspooling of chaos as detectives across three states began piecing together with father and this. Father and son had done the bloodsoak chirk that Joseph clearly discarded carelessly and quickly recovered by police. The name tag had Callinger right on it and it removed any doubt. Multiple witnesses, including neighbors and surviving victims from various attacks, identified the pair and police lineups. The list of the offenses stretched across Pennsylvania, New Jersey and beyond home invasions, assaults, sexual assaults, robbery, and of course, murders. Investigators also uncovered something even more disturbing. Joseph had taken out a significant life insurance policy on his murdered son, Joey. The policies totlled nearly seventy thousand dollars, which in nineteen seventy four was a fortune. Yeah, and they were barely a few months old when Joey's body was found in the abandoned building Yang. The case was no longer just a string of robberies. It was a murder, her profit, sadism, and something far more complex because it was a man teetering on the edge of sanity dragging his own son into the abyss with him. Seeing these things, detectives quickly separated Joseph and Michael. Michael, who was only still thirteen, was placed in juvenile detention. Thirteen thirteen. Psychologists were brought in to evaluate him, and what they found was a boy who was hostile, rebellious, and disturbingly detached, but also someone who perhaps could still be saved. Michael, who had been a child under the control of a father who believed he was chosen by God to destroy mankind. Right, it was clear thebilitation process was possible, but how far it's only up to anyone to cass.
Speaker 2: He does have age on his side, right, so it's possible.
Speaker 1: Definitely now. Joseph, on the other hand, was something else entirely. During questioning, he denied murdering Joey. He denied any knowledge of Maria and her or murder the death that occurred in that house. He blamed everything on outside forces, on hallucinations, on mysterious voices, on divine commands. At times he rambled about being thousand years old and about talking to God directly. Psychiatrists were brought in. Some suspected schizophrenia. Others thought it might be something more physical, perhaps Huntington's disease, which can cause involuntary movements, paranoia, and even dementia. Joseph himself requested testing for this Huntington's disease, but the results came back negative, and Joseph continued In years later to keep requesting more tests, but it was never proven to be positive. There was no physical explanation for the way his mind worked. It was psychological and profoundly so when I say profound, I don't mean in a good profound way. Meanwhile, back in the Linonia, investigators worked around the clock to build their case. The surviving hostages from the Kneller home gave detailed statements. The physical evidence there was blood, fingerprints, discarded clothing. It was also overwhelming, and in Pennsylvania, authorities dug into Joey's suspicious death. However, without any direct witness, it was harder to prove. But suspicion fell heavily on Joseph, and while the surviving victims of the early robberies provided statements, many of the women Joseph had sexually assaulted were too traumatized to testify, complicating those charges across all jurisdictions, One fact became clear. Joseph Callinger wasn't just a killer. He was a man who had slipped so far into delusion that reality no longer governed his actions. The question remained, would the court see him as a criminal or as a madman beyond control? The first of Joseph Callinger's many trials began in June nineteenth. On nineteen seventy five, the charges were connected to the non lethal crime, things like robbery, burglary, false imprisonment, those sort of things, the home invasions and such. But the questions hanging over the courtroom wasn't just whether he committed these crimes, it was whether he was legally sane when he did them. From the onset, the defense focused squarely on Joseph's mind. His lawyers argued that he was deeply mentally ill, suffering from hallucinations so powerful and persistent that he couldn't distinguish reality from the bizarre visions commanding him to kill. They even suggested that years of exposure to toxic chemicals from working in a poorly ventilated shoe repair shop may have damaged his brain, contributing to that delusion as well. Prosecutors painted a very different picture. They pointed to the methodical way Joseph and Michael had planned their crimes, casing home, selecting victims, timing their break ins. They highlighted Joseph's deliberate disposal of evidence, burning bloody clothes, hiding weapons, even changing his story repeatedly during questioning. This wasn't madness, they argued, this was calculation. Joseph himself would take the stand in his own defense, which was against the advice of nearly anyone everyone on his legal team. What followed stunned the courtroom. He calmly informed the jury that he was one thousand years old. He said he had once been a butterfly. He spoke of voices from God commanding him to save humanity by killing millions of people. He described the Supreme Power an unseeing entity guiding his hand. Every word he spoke underscored the central argument of his defense. Joseph was not sane.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like his legal team was probably just sitting there like just I don't just we're fucked basically, right.
Speaker 1: Like potentially, But also his story is supporting their claim, yeah, of insanity to some degree, Right, yeah, I guess so. Now, despite that surreal testimony, let's put it that way. The jury deliberated for less than an hour, and they found Joseph, calling her guilty on all counts. Now, remember this was for the non violent crimes, the break ins and stuff, right, Yeah, Well, I shouldn't say non violent, the non not murdering, Yeah, you know what I mean. The judge, visibly shaken by the details of the case, described him as quote utterly vile and depraved, and then sentenced him to thirty to eighty years in prison for those charges alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that was, of.
Speaker 1: Course just the beginning, because next came the more serious charges, the murder of Muria Fasting, which during the failed home invasion occurred right now. This trial, beginning in February of nineteen seventy six, put Joseph's mental state even more firmly in the spotlight. Once again, his defense pleaded insanity. This time, court appointed psych chiatrist had examined him in greater detail. The findings were damning. Joseph exhibited signs of severe psychosis, schizophrenia, impossible organic brain damage. He was, they argued, unable to control his actions. But the prosecution wasn't swayed. They brought forward surviving victims from that day, ordinary people who looked Joseph in the face as he held them hostage at knife point. They described him as calm, deliberate as he tied up each and every person. They testified about the terrifying moment that he dragged Maria into the basement, about the screams, about the blood they saw, about the way he and his son had simply walked away. Afterwards, the jury found him guilty once again. Another thirty to eighty years was added to his sentence behind bars, Joseph's mental health continued to decline in prison. He was erratic and violent. He attacked another inmate, stabbing him toward twenty times with a pair of sewing scissors in nineteen seventy eight, another act he later said was commanded by unseen forces.
Speaker 2: No one is safe in that prison, really, hey with him?
Speaker 1: No, Well, he even did, like think of it this way, because he had multiple suicide attempts that followed, including setting his own cell on fire. So I mean, imagine being in the cell next to him and he's setting his cell on fire and you're watching this like burn down. Yeah, it's like I'm going to burn alive too.
Speaker 2: No kidding. Well, and that so that inmate survived that I'm assuming, Actually.
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure. I'm pretty sure that inmate actually died because I believe he also like he cut his throat in this action too, So I'm pretty sure he died. Yes, so I believe that would take the tally of murdered victims up to four if I'm not mistaken, Because there was the two children earlier, one being his own, then there was Maria and this other inmate. Court appointed doctors argued over his condition. Some claimed he was faking illness to avoid punishment, others saw genuine and terrifying signs of profound mental breakdown. Joseph himself continued to request testing for Huntington's disease, convinced it might explain his behavior, but still no diagnosis came. Further trials unfolded for additional crimes, but by this time Joseph's court room appearance were basically meaningless. His fate was sealed. He would die in prison, far from the streets where his reign of terror played out, and it was more about closure for the victims than anything. Right died of heart failure at the age of fifty nine inside a Pennsylvania state prison. As for Micah Callinger, his son, the courts took a different approach. He was just thirteen when the crimes were committed. Multiple psychologists assessed him as a child under extreme coercion, possibly salvageable with treatment. After serving his time in a juvenile facility, Micah was placed with foster parents relatives of his stepmother, who worked to rehabilitate him. By nineteen seventy nine, he pled guilty to robbery charges in exchange for the dismissal of the murder charge related to Maria Fassinger's death. He was released on probation under careful supervision until his twenty first birthday in nineteen eighty two, and then after that, Michael vanished from public view. His records were sealed, his name disappeared from headlines, and to this day, no public records are to account for where he is today. Whether he rebuilt his life or descended further into darkness remains unknown.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can only hope that he's just living normal one hundred percent of life, you know, that's healthy.
Speaker 1: I hope he was rehabilitated and he got away from what his father did to him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, at the heart of Joseph Callinger's story lies a haunting question that has puzzled doctors, lawyers, true crime enthusiasts for decades. What was truly wrong with Joseph Kllinger's mind? Told you we'd go over this at the end. Here we are so Even before the murders, Joseph displayed behaviors that were bizarre, disturbing, and disconnected from reality. The hallucinations he described, the voices from God, visions of supreme powers commanding him to kill. They weren't fleeting thoughts. They are immersive, all consuming, and very persistent. He genuinely believed that he was on a divine mission tasks from or for saving the world and later destroying it, and he failed to live up to that imagined responsibility. These are real things that he firmly believed. This is not made up for his defense. This is fact. He believed these. But was this madness the product of trauma, mental illness, physical brain damage, or some tangled combination of these. Forensic psychologists who evaluated Joseph over the years often pointed to early childhood trauma as the seed bed for his psychosis. His adoptive parents were brutally abusive. They did things like burnt his fingertips, beat him with hammers, punished him for normal childhood behaviors like exploring his body. Sure maybe it disturbed them a little bit, but it's not their responsibility to be disturbed by someone learning about themselves or their sexuality, and exploring that the deep psychological scars of those years clearly shaped the man that he would become. At that same time, signs of schizophrenia were impossible to ignore. His hallucinations, paranoia, and elaborate religious delusions fit classic psychiatric definitions of the disorder. Schizophrenia often manifests in late adolescents or early adulthood, right around the time Joseph's visions began, and it's hard to not correlate those totally. But then there were the physical symptoms. He also had muscle spasms, He was very jerky with his movements, very much so. In many times he had inappropriate laughter, and some doctors suspected neurological conditions might also be in play. It's worth noting that Joseph's early crimes before murders, showed some faint traces of humanity. There were multiple occasions where he stopped short of killing. He retreated from violence at the last second. He wavered, He showed doubt, But as the hallucinations deepened, so did the detachment from the reality around him. The command these hallucinations had over him, as he described, he left him feeling trapped, as though his mind was no longer his own. His actions became increasingly erratic, brutal, and devoid of emotions. So was he legally saying. Some courts say no, others weren't so sure. And the truth is it may be impossible to ever fully know. Mental illness doesn't exactly excuse his crimes, but it does explain much about why his life spiraled so horrifyingly out of control. And then there came the other puzzle, his son, Michael. Unlike his father, Michael didn't appear to suffer from hallucinations or psychosis. Instead, he was raised inside the madness, exposed from childhood to Joseph's violence, control, and twisted worldview, in some ways very similar to how his father was even raised. Some psychologists view Michael as a classic case of traumatic bonding, a child so desperate for approval that he was willing to follow his father into unspeakable acts. Others warned that Michael showed signs of emerging psychopathy himself, cold, calculating, and eager for violence. Ultimately, Michael was considered rehabilitated or rehabilitate a bull, though his current whereabouts dew still remain unknown. In the end, the arrest of Joseph and Michael in January of nineteen seventy five brought an abrupt end to their violent spree, but the echoes of their crime stretched far beyond that moment in time. For the families of their victims, the scars ran deep, permanent, and in many cases impossible to fully heal. The murder of twenty one year old Maria Fascing the only convicted homicide during their rampage, apart from Joseph's own son, I get well, I guess that's not convicted. That is confirmed because Joseph fully, flat out has admitted it in interviews, but Maria is the only convicted one. It left a profound wound on Pennsylvania. In the community. Maria was not just a victim of opportunity. She was a woman known for her kindness, her activism, and her refusal to back down the face of, you know, adversity. It was that very courage, her refusal to comply with Joseph's demands, that cost her her life. She died on that cold basement floor of a stranger's house, well, not a stranger, a friend's house. Far from the life that she could have lived, but still with her own morals in person intact, her murder shook that small town leaven behind grief stricken family members and friends who would carry the weight of her loss forever. The survivors, the women who had been tied up, threatened, and assaulted in their own homes, carry visible scars. Though they escaped with their lives, the terror they endured could not be undone. Imagine the horror of sitting in your living room, expecting a quiet afternoon with friends, only to be held captive at knife point by a stranger who seems completely unhinged. The emotional trauma from such an experience doesn't just vanish. Many of these people were left deeply affected for years, if not for life. Some reportedly suffered from PTSD post traumatic stress disorder, chronic fear, and shattered feelings of their own safety and their own homes. And then there were the children, the Callinger's kids, his own flesh and blood, his sons, his daughters who had been pawns, and his delusions. Sometimes victims sometimes witnesses the psychological damage on those kids, especially Michael's young Michael's younger siblings. It's hard to quantify. To grow up in a home like this, it meant living in constant fear, caught between love, loyalty, and honestly absolute horror. You feel like you're probably living in a horror movie. Even decades later, the name of Joseph and Michael Collinger evoke unease in the city, in towns where they once prowled. Their story once national news faded into relative obscurity over the years, but for those directly touched by the violence, it never truly went away. While Joseph died in prison nineteen ninety six, taking many of his secrets with him, the ripples of what he did, what he and his son did continue to spread through the lives that they touched and the histories that they've altered. The story of the Calling Yers is one of the darkest and most disturbing in American true crime history. It's a case that leaves us grappling not only with the depths of human depravity, but also with uncomfortable questions about mental illness, responsibility, and the limits of rehabilitation. So much though, that in this episode today, I've only begun to scratch the surface of this conversation. Though Joseph calling Her died of heart failure in nineteen ninety six, having spent over two decades behind bars. He remained a deeply disturbed man until the very end, reportedly continuing to experience these hallucinations, paranoiase, and suicidal urges till the very end. To this day, the question remains was Joseph calling Her evil, insane or a tragic collision of both. The case continues to be study in criminal psychology, psychiatry, and criminology circles. It's a haunting example of how untreated mental illness, childhood trauma, and distorted religious delusions can create a perfect storm of violence in the end. What makes this case linger is not just the brutality of the acts, but the profound sadness running through every single chapter of the story. It's about damaged people damaging other people. It's about the terror that unfolded in quiet neighborhoods, and it's about the lives lost, not just those who died, but those who live with the aftermath. The majority of the world may forget the name Callinger eventually, but for those who study the darkest corners of human behavior, this case remains absolutely unforgettable. And that's a story of Joseph Kellinger aka the.
Speaker 2: Shoemaker, damaged people, damaging other people.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Shit, now that just like I feel like, just nails it on the head right there.
Speaker 1: Right now. There is some documentaries and interviews with Joseph, and there's one it's gone viral on like TikTok and such like that. And I really want to play this for you because it really gives you a perspective of how how much is going on in this guy's head. He openly, openly talks about these things in an interview, and he's so cold about it.
Speaker 2: He's not hiding anything.
Speaker 1: He's not hiding anything. Even listen to how quickly he answers some of these questions. I'm going to play this clip. He even cuts off the interviewer at one point confirming that yes he did that and yes he will do it again. That sort of thing. So confident, so cold, and even listening to the audio, you only get a fraction Like, looking at this guy when he's being interviewed, he looks like a hungry dog looking at a meal. That's what he looks like when he's looking at this guy interviewing him.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, yeah, way to just make a scringe a little there.
Speaker 1: Right, So here, I'm going to play the audio for you.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: He murdered your own son, Yes, I did. Why did you do that?
Speaker 4: He was to sacrifice. I wish to murder it three million people the planet Earth, and he was sacrificed to see if I could murder the woman if I own at the end of murdering all the people on Earth, I was going to murder my own family and then take my own life and become God.
Speaker 3: What do you think of the death penalty.
Speaker 4: I'm opposed to it.
Speaker 3: The state has no right to take your life, but you can murder other people.
Speaker 4: I don't think anyone has the right to take the life except you. When I'm under hallucination, I do.
Speaker 3: These voices from God, these hallucinations. Do you still experience them?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: I do often often. Do you ever feel violent?
Speaker 4: Yes? I do. What do you feel like doing killing people?
Speaker 3: Do you still feel like killing people?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Describe the feeling that you get when you feel like kill. Well.
Speaker 4: Last March eleventh, I was hallucinating and I took a razor blade and I cut a man's through.
Speaker 3: Here in the hospital, you're in the hospital. Do you think it murdered me Joe. Yes, that's gruesome, Joe, that's horrible.
Speaker 4: Yes it is.
Speaker 3: And you don't blame me if I say, I hope you never get out of this place.
Speaker 4: I hope I never do either.
Speaker 2: He's very quick, he has like on his feet to answer anything. There's no thought there, just like it's just fact.
Speaker 1: This as a matter of fact. I did that, I want to do it again. I will do it again. Boom.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's simple there, there's no hiding it with him. It's so mad fact, black and white.
Speaker 2: And I mean, I don't want to say lucky, but I feel like society, you know, it's amazing that he didn't end up killing more people. I guess right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well in that clip he says he was to kill three million people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So like, okay, I just have to say one more thing. Would he not have been on medication, you know at the time of that interview.
Speaker 1: Probably potentially, I'm sure he was on some sort of medication.
Speaker 2: But then he's still having these hallucinations and stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he was having those hallucinations often right up to the very end.
Speaker 2: Huh. Well, it just kind of that kind of makes you think a little bit, you know, like because as far as I'm aware, like medication is supposed to help help with that a little bit, right, So they were also unsure exactly what he had and he could have had multiple things.
Speaker 1: Now, if he was having hallucinations and if he was on medication, I'm sure the medication was helping with those hallucinations, but to what degree it was helping. I mean, I have no idea. That's something that only is medical records I'm sure would actually show and I don't think those are public.
Speaker 2: No, Well, he's just I don't know that interview. It's it scares me.
Speaker 1: He is one of the scariest individuals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ever, like a very scary man.
Speaker 1: We've covered some some terrifying people, and don't get me wrong, there's some stories that we've covered where we've had some very terrifying people up there with him too, But he is He's near the top for sure.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then just also the potential I guess too that he that his crimes could have brought. Yeah, I mean what he did was already horrific, but like you know, like you just said, he had plans and for way more.
Speaker 1: Well, imagine in that house when he killed Maria, Imagine someone didn't escape. Imagine this on Michael was upstairs ensuring no one was getting out. That would have been an entire house massacre.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, I'm sure they probably would have been caught after that, because I bet you anything, there would have been some fingerprints and stuff like that. They weren't too careful with the crime scene. But even still, that was a house of what eight people, So there would have been eight people dead and gone in that house if that person didn't escape.
Speaker 2: And I just have to say, too, we've talked so much about Michael, right, yeah, and his rehabilitation, but like his other kids too, Oh, you have so much just like even knowing that that's her father and what he did and still the games that he played on them and stuff you know, growing up.
Speaker 1: Well, the things that, like you say, the games he played on them, the rituals, the things he put them through. Imagine being one of those child for a minute. It doesn't matter which one, just think in the shoes of knowing that your father has these sort of hallucinations and as a result, you went through those things. And then he also convinced one of your siblings to murder with him, and he killed one of your other siblings.
Speaker 4: Holy.
Speaker 1: And then the manipulation you know he had on your mother to boot and then the other rituals you know that he did on your other siblings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you just have to go on live in day to day with all that, yeah, in your brain.
Speaker 1: So that's a lot to take on, like you're saying, to begin with, yeah, now imagine yeah, just imagine that, Like I can't imagine that. It's so fucked up it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah there, I mean, yeah, I mean his upbringing was so terrible too, right, So how I said earlier that I was like, was he born with this? But I don't know, Well is this kind of maybe some degree, but yeah, this was mostly created.
Speaker 1: I feel like, in many ways, I feel very bad for Joseph Kallinger. I feel horrible for the guy because he's not hiding who he is. He's saying, it's a matter of fact, I want to kill you right now. He said this in the interview, Yes I would kill you to the interviewer. Guy, And he's like, I hope I never get let out of here. Oh yeah, he knows the monster he is and he doesn't. He's dangerous and he doesn't want to be. He just knows that I'm fucked m h. And I will kill people. I will hurt people, and that's the matter of fact. And don't let me go because it will happen. Don't be wrong. He should be locked up. He's a fucking monster. But there's many times where it's like you feel bad for the monster, you.
Speaker 2: Know a little bit well, and then yeah, just how the monster was created too, right, Yeah, like you said, he's gone through a lot himself. So oh my gosh, yeah, this one, this is a doozy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of psychological stuff behind this one.
Speaker 2: Too, no kidding. I can only imagine, like you said, the studies that go on with this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyways, hopefully you guys got through this one. It was a heavy one. It was a big one. If you have heard of the story before, I'm sure this is nothing new to you and you've already thought of much of this. But if you haven't before, and you got some new thoughts. If you have heard it, you've got some thoughts. If you haven't heard it, let us know your thoughts. Shoot us a message and email whatever. Join us in the conversations on Patreon because oftentimes that we're talking about cases after the fact in the chat and overr on our discord as well. So join us there. We got links down below you can contact us, join us in these in these community areas. And even still, we appreciate you being here. If you're not going to go check those out, because you guys make our show what it is. We couldn't be here without you listening right now, So thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. And until next time, I think you need to say it. This time, I'm always saying it. Well, until next time.
Speaker 1: You never do the thing, you don't give me the opportunity, We'll take the opportunity until next time you no, no, we gotta we gotta plan this off better. Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna do the little description you thinging again, okay, and then you you casually like pass it over to me for me to end it. Okay, okay, okay, So check out the description we got contact stuff. It's all awesome. Give us a review. We're an indie podcast, and we appreciate you. Now you're turned go ahead.
Speaker 2: We do really appreciate it. We really do we really do, so until Friday, stay Wicked