Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Nicole, hope you and yours have a lovely holiday weekend. I don't think it's a holiday for iHeart, but it is still a holiday for most of the people in the audience. And whether you're celebrating Columbus Day or Indigenous People's Day, have at it and enjoy yourself. And let's hope that the Patriots switch at quarterback produce some positive results. I feel a little badly for Jacoby Brissett, who I think has taking a beating but kept on ticking for five games and has a classy guy when he was removed from the starting position. My name's Dan Ray. A little kind of top of the head comments there. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside, heard every Monday through Friday night right here on WBZ, Boston's news radio. And of course you can hear us in the iHeart app. All I have to do is go to the iHeartRadio app, download it for free, and you can listen to WBZ anytime from literally anywhere in the world. WBZ Radio that is, we have Rob Brooks is back in the control room tonight. I think Rob's flying the plane solo tonight, so we can't crash. Rob, don't worry. We're in good hands with you and your associate. Dan did a good job. Rob's gonna have a few days off in the next couple of weeks. He generally likes to take his vacations around Halloween, and that part of the year is very important to Rob. Correct Rob, I'm not telling something that's not true. Correct, Yes, okay, yeah, just cue it and tell me. I just want to make sure he loves the theatrics of Halloween. I guess Rob is a kid at heart, well anyway, but most of you know that because he called. When you call, you talk to Rob first before you talk to me. So let's get right to our guest tonight. Four very interesting guests. We're talking about bagels, baseball dreams, and a scam alert, so we get a lot it's interest. Let's start off with Diane Bear. She's a Boston Globe reporter slash contributor, and she went and covered New York City's Bagel Fest, where a Cambridge bagel was the toast. I can't say the toast of the town was it was the best of the fest or the bagel of the Big Apple, Diane, How are you loved your piece in the Globe. By the way, I'm not a bagel guy, but almost maybe wanted to try them.
Speaker 1: How are you tonight, Ian?
Speaker 3: Great? Thank you so much. It's been a long week. So I think we need to bring some big bagel energy, you know, to Boston.
Speaker 2: Sing Yeah, I'm a I'm a Dunkin Donuts guy when whenever I can in the mornings, to be really.
Speaker 3: Honest with you, So not a bagel guy.
Speaker 2: Huh, well, I'm a glaistick guy, you know. I mean, I don't know. I was amazed at the variety of bagels, and I was also a ride amazed to see that there's a store down there called.
Speaker 3: Pop Up, Yeah, pop Up Bagels. It's it's actually it's kind of funny because it's the big trendy New York City bagel place now. And when I went for the when I went on a bagel tour there, it was the first stop and they were like eighty people lined up at this bagel shop in the middle of the day, and I thought, man, you know, what are they making in there? But it turns out it's like if New Yorkers see a line of people, they just happen, you know, So I think that's kind of what happened. But Paul Rudd is one of the investors, and Paul Rudd, to me, it looks like a very good testimonial for eating bagels, So.
Speaker 2: Why not, well give it, give it a shot. I was addressed when I said, pop up. I have a grant my wife, and I have a grandson whose name is Benjamin, and people were trying to figure out what he wanted to call me, and somehow someway they wanted me to be called Papa, and I said, I don't really like that. Call me pop up because I'm a big baseball guy. So now it looks as if this bagel chain stole.
Speaker 4: My oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so now I can say they did. Yeah, you know what, they're they're growing too. They're gonna, they're gonna they're trying to have like a hundred bagel shops in like this year or something. This place is growing like crazy, so you're gonna be like, you know, maybe you could be like the face of pop Up Bagel, you know, instead of Paul Rudd. I get your face on some T shirt.
Speaker 2: You probably shouldn't have admitted to you that I'm not a bagel leader. No, I might have made a.
Speaker 1: Mistake that.
Speaker 3: They haven't found your bagel?
Speaker 2: So how did this cambridge is called bagel or us almost.
Speaker 3: Like bagelsaurus, like a dinosaur bagels.
Speaker 2: Okay, bagel saurus. But I kind of read it like you like bagels or us. But that's okay, okay, bagel.
Speaker 3: St you know, you know what, it's so weird because I never saw that. So that's the you are.
Speaker 2: And then we could pronounce in Boston as opposed to are meaning ar r, you know, au are or US. Maybe I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Just maybe it should be one of those like Internet like left brain right brain things like if you see it as bagel rus or if you see it like the blue dress and the gold dress, remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: I remember that stuff and it drove me crazy because I was always in disagreement. So so they won the best bagel in New York. That's like the Red Sox going in and sweeping the Yankees then.
Speaker 3: Going over Can you believe it?
Speaker 2: Can you believe that that's the next weekend? Yeah? That's good though, because you think about.
Speaker 3: It it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, well, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and they're in twenty fourteen, so they're not they're even kind of a newcomer. They open in twenty fourteen, and they do sort of a sour dough kind of fermenting process, so they do it a little bit differently. But I'll tell you I didn't even stuff the ballot box when I voted. It was so tempting, you know, but I so it was clearly it was a you know, it was the bagel experts and the attendees, like the fifteen hundred or some people at City Field that were at this event that voted for them. So they, you know, they really they did us proud, big respect.
Speaker 2: Now did you go down there on your own to write this piece? It was this a tasty assignment that the Globe gave you.
Speaker 3: Right, it was an assignment because I had pitched it initially. You know, I just I love doing a food story because they're just really fun to do. And Globe readers get so fired up about these stories, whether it's you know, that's pizza Beslabster old, that's Boston cream Pie, they really get fired up. So I found out that there was a bagel making class in New York, and I thought, oh, that sounds kind of cool, that's like worth a trip. And then then when I I sort of dug went down the rabbit hole of bagels, I guess down the bagel hole, I found out that they were that there was this bagel festival going on and you could do a bagel tour of like the best places in town. And I said, that sounds even more fun. You know, is anybody really going to spend one hundred and fifty bucks to learn how to make bagels when you could get lots of good bagels and cream cheese, you know, for that amount. So I pitched it to my editor, I said, what do you know, what do you think about the bagel fest? At that time, we didn't even know that local bagel places were going to show up, so it was just a happy accident that they get bagelsaurus did us proud? And and there was a Nantucket Bakery there as well.
Speaker 2: Well. What's great about it was that you showed great flexibility. You started out talking about learning the craft of bagel making, and then you realize, why do I need to know the craft when you have all these places? So you would effect called a good really good audible okay, and hopefully Drake audibles this weekend. So we're kind of working.
Speaker 5: Everything in here together.
Speaker 3: Uh, you're you're working there, you are.
Speaker 2: I'm trying. I'm trying, you know, for the end of the week. I'm trying my best. Okay. I really appreciate it. I'm a big I am a subscriber to The Globe. As I've often said, I'm a huge, uh fan of the sports page and the Globe, and that's why I really get the group and also features like yourself the travel guy. Yeah, not so crazy about the editorial page, but we'll leave that for another time. Uh. But you know, I just want to you know, I no, no, no, no, no no no no no. We'll we'll we'll keep it. We'll keep it real. And look, I am I am delighted to talk to you. I happen to love your passion because I think the best thing. And I was a young reporter one time, way back in the last century and television and the greatest set of a reporter like yourself. You clearly are intelligent, but when you have passion for the story, it comes through with the story, both in the writing of the story, the reading of the story and the telling of the story, and you have passion. You're gonna be thank you career ahead of you and you've already you already have a career, but you're going to do great things in this business. Diane, thank you, and have a bagel on me this weekend.
Speaker 6: Okay, I think.
Speaker 3: So, and I think I think you should definitely go. You call it bagel Horus or Bagelsaurus. You're really out to give those guys a try, because and the one you have to try is the pretzel bagel with roat. You like pretzels rosemary, Yes, I do pretzel bagel with the honeys rosemary cream cheese. And you will you'll thank me later, I promise.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, Diane, there of the Boston Globe reporting on a victory, a victory for Boston Bagels in the Big Apple. Simple as that. All right, Thanks DaLie, you have a great weekend. Okay, thank you. We came back to talk. I want to go to a baseball game tomorrow. The Red Sox are not playing. They're not playing either here in Boston or anywhere else. But there is a baseball game going on this weekend which will entail one hundred innings of baseball to benefit ALS Research. Talk about Ian Hadley of the Angel Fund coming right back on Night Side. This is one that might work out for a lot of my listeners back right after this one Night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: B the baseball season in Boston and a couple of weeks ago. Wait on next year. The truck leaves for spring to raining right after the first of February, so it's not that far off. However, if you need a little baseball fixed tomorrow, all you have to be is at Adams Field in Quinsy at nine am, and if you want to play in the game, maybe you get there a little earlier. With us is Ian Hadley, the Chief Development of Officer of the Angel Fund for ALS Research, and we had an email exchange kind of worked out for us today. I wish we knew about this a little earlier, but hey, under the Wire is perfect. Glad to have you with us tonight.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: This is the twenty first annual Oneings of Baseball benefiting ALS Research. Tell us soon starts at nine o'clock. Are people at all different skill levels invited. I assume.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 4: The baseball game is like no other. It goes one hundred innings. The first pitch is thrown out at nine o'clock in the morning tomorrow on Saturday, Doctor Robert Brown. Actually you will be throwing out the first pitch for us, and right after you.
Speaker 2: Use the ALS. Doctor Robert Brown should need no introduction to most of my audience, but he is the well known ALS researcher who has done such great work in this area and hope someday to find a cure for ALS.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right after doctor Brown does throw out the first pitch, the gag gets underway and oneings of play, probably about thirty six hours without of baseball, and it goes all night.
Speaker 2: We have this is this is not an expedited game, meaning it's not one of these things where two strikes for a strikeout and three strikes for a ball. This is regular baseball. Three three strikes for to get before you strike out, four balls to walk, so it will last. I mean, the longest game in the history of baseball was that game down in Pawtucko, Rhode Islands, many years ago, which went I was about twenty three innings or something like that, and that then had to be completed at another time. So obviously you got a field with some good sets of lights. As I understated, it as a registration fee of seventy five dollars per player, and I assume people can make contributions who might just come to watch this display. How many ringers are you going to get in there? I mean, do you have any people who are going to come in there and you know, throw ninety mile an hour pitches or any what's the range of the baseball skills of your players?
Speaker 4: There's quite a bit of range. We have a lot of players that it's a lot of the entire Boston area baseball community that comes out, and we have the umpires that come out as well.
Speaker 6: We probably have about.
Speaker 4: Between fifty and seventy players. Players can come down and play for two innings for innings all hundred. We have some iron men and I and women that will play all one hundred.
Speaker 2: How do you how do you start at nine o'clock in the morning play thirty six hours of baseball street That's extraordinary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it is amazing. And they're all dedicated to raising funds for ALI research. We have umpires that come in as well that donate their time. We have one mayn cruise. They come in every two hours and they go all night long. And there's some plays that will come in on Saturday and play for a few hours, come back in the middle of the night during Saturday night, and continue on again on Sunday.
Speaker 2: So it's amazing player registers. Okay, do these teams have team names or is it pretty much when you get there, they plug in and if you have to go, I don't know, do something Saturday night and you want to come back late late there that you kind of Is it a mix and match situation or do you get do you get a signed to one team or the other or is it a very informal sort of game where you can play few winnings for one side, few winnings for the other, It doesn't really matter.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's a dedicated team. When you do sign up, they assign into a team and yep, and then you will play however many innings you can. And and then like I said, you know, some some of our players, men and women, have gone all one hundred innings. We've actually had an engagement on the field one year and that has been a wife come back every year to play with us. So it's an amazing group of people.
Speaker 2: So they got engaged. Wow, talk about true love for baseball and each other. Unbelievable. So what do you hope to raise this weekend? Realistically? What do you think?
Speaker 4: Well, I can tell you after this year. I think that the total that they've raised over the past there'll be twenty one years is close to nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars for als research. That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Kick it out it is fifty dollars. You'd be you'd be you've been doing this for twenty one years. What is the genesis of this competition?
Speaker 4: It's become all like a family. Some of the baseball players see each other off of the season and some just see each other, you know, just once a year, and it's really become a family type situation.
Speaker 2: Who came up with the idea initially of twenty one years ago, which you know would have been two thousand and two or two thousand and three. Who came up with the idea of, hey, I know we can play one ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a group of players that came together and of course baseball is associated, you know, with Luke Erick and all that, so they decided they would raise money face as WELLLS research.
Speaker 2: It's also associated with Pete Frady's of Boston College, the Catfish Hunter, the Great Hall of Fame pitcher for Oakland. Pinky's passed away from the ALS. We've we've seen more and more ALS as time has has gone on, and so there is that.
Speaker 4: Of our action. One of our old andizes is Walter Benson. He's our chief umpire and he's been living with ALS for many years now. And you know Rich Kennedy, he's been on your program before he al, Yeah, and he's of course lost his dad and two brothers to the disease and he's living with ALS. And Walter and Rich will be there the whole hundred innings and stay up and support the team players. So it's an amazing it's an amazing time.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish you the best of luck with it, and please say hello to everyone there for us, and I guess that's not too late to join. So if someone has their cleats all polished tonight, you have to have to wear a uniform of sorts. You just kind of go out there and in flip flops and cargo shorts, right, be a little dangerous, but you have to come dress for the game, right, You have to have your own glove and all of that and to show up. And if you have you ever had I meant I meant this seriously before and I asked you the question. You kind of didn't answer the question. So I'm going to ask you one more time. Did you ever have like a ringer show up? Do you know what I mean by a ringer?
Speaker 6: Like, oh, we have a couple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've had a couple of those. Yes, but do you know what I mean by that?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've had some Major League Baseball players come to a few games, well with her, Kurt Schilling. In the past, we've you know, I know that Malone has come. I know we've we've had more, but I forget now who they are.
Speaker 2: Well, you should have a list the next time we publicized this. That's what That's what the crowd, the audience we'll were thinking of. They get there. If you get Kurt Schilling or Lou Maloney, maybe get a couple of autographs, watch a few winnings in baseball? How do you beat that on Saturday? Whether it's Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon or whatever. And as always, thank you for much for joining us, and best of luck. If I was close it to Quincy, I would be there, but unfortunately I am what we call out of pocket. Okay, thanks Anne, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: And people can go to the Angel fundat to work for more information.
Speaker 2: Sure they go there, and if they like to make a donation, that's always welcome as well.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it is.
Speaker 2: It is. Thank you so much, Ian Hadley, the Chief Development Officer of the Angel Fund for Als Research. We will take a break here for the news at the bottom of the hour, and we're going to come back to a subject that everybody should be interested in. Do you dream in color or black and white? Uh? There's a lot of science to this, but I got to tell you dreams. Dreams are tough to remember. I don't even know. I have no clue if which color, whether I dream in color or black and white. There are some nights when I dream some nights when I know. I'm sure that's most of you, most of us are like that. We're going to get We're going to talk with a psychologist of religion specializing in dream research. How about that for a combination, author and founder of the Sleep and Dream Database. Her name is Kelly Bucley. We'll be back right after the bottom of the news at the bottom of the hour here on a Friday night edition of Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Ori, welcome back, everybody. Do you dream? And do you dream in color of black and white? That's the big question. I'm going to introduce to you a PhD Doctor Kelly Bucley. She's a psychologist of religion specializing in dream research. Doctor I'm sorry, Bulky Bulky, Okay, I got it right.
Speaker 6: You did it the first time.
Speaker 2: Okay. Uh, And it is uh it is Bulky Bulky, so that he is silent in there, right, Bulkeley? Okay, great, Doctor Bulkeley, welcome. You're a psychologist in religion specializing in dream research. I wouldn't think that those two would in interconnect. Tell us why?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, the study of dreams goes back beyond just the past couple of hundred years of psychology to look at cultures throughout history that have talked about dreams, often in religious languages, but not necessarily always about you know, gods and demons, but just the human phenomenon of dreaming. So that's that's what I study.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so let's let's talk about it. Because I happen to be a big believer in dreams. I'm someone I dream and I wake up in the morning and I'm conscious the dreams floats away. How normal is that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's pretty typical that that that there will be some recollection just upon wakening, but then often in the light of day and the beginning of our activities, that memory will will fade. Some dreams are different and will sort of knock you on the head and say, no, you are going to remember this, And psychologically speaking, those tend to be the more important dreams. To pay attention to the ones you naturally forget, I think it's okay to forget them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have reoccurring dreams. And again I don't want to make this about me, but friends of mine have told me. For example, I'm a lawyer, went to law school, and one of the referring dreams is that it's late in the second semester of your third year, and you forgot that you were so confident you didn't go to course, to classes until about the beginning of May for this one course you have to take. Yeah, it's kind of an elective, but it's but you have to read a book and write a paper and then take take an examine on Monday, and you just are running out of time. I'm told that's a pretty common dream.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, it really is. And in fact, there examples of like exam dreams and test related dreams going back like almost two thousand years in ancient China when they had to take exams for the civil service. Goes way back in Confucian culture, there are records of people having these anxious dreams before their tests.
Speaker 2: So that's where civil service started.
Speaker 6: That's where said, I mean, it goes way back, and so uh yeah, so there's something about the the anxiety at that formative time of life that that can either be triggered by something in our present day lives or just as kind of a constant echo, you know, throughout our lives. Just that's the way it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's I guess it's something that you've prepped for. Maybe maybe the anxiety that I never have a dream about the days before the bar exam, which which passed it on the first time. Never had a dream about that, but there's always one of those things. What was it? What are some of the other dreams that people frequently dream about?
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, yeah, well there's there's a classic yeah, the classic duo of of flying and falling. Uh where there's you know, there's sort of these gravitational experiences when we're lying flat presumably in bed nothing's really happening, but in dreams were either soaring through the cloud like birds or falling off a cliff, you know, and and in terrors. So those are those are very common. Uh again, not not just in present day, but but through history and across cultures.
Speaker 2: So, okay, I'm going to tell you my my my airplane dream.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, fly.
Speaker 2: I fly a lot, I've flown a lot in my life. I'm always you know, thinking, you know, be careful, be careful. I'm on a plane and we're flying really low, and we're flying underneath overpasses. The plane is just getting through by about two feet on each side every time. Right, What what the heck would that be about? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, the dreams often right sort of they often speak sort of metaphorically, and so it's like, well, there's something going on in waking life that that a good comparison would be like an airplane that's barely able to stay above ground and it's barely avoiding, you know, obstacles of one kind and another. So this goes back, believe it or not, to the Greek phosphor Aristotle, who batically said that the skill of being a dream interpreter is observing resemblances between the dreams and things in your waking life. So that's pretty much true, and that's that's Uh, it's sometimes as simple as that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think that's the subconscious at work, and I can I will, yes anymore O dreams, but there's always.
Speaker 6: Something, truly, I go on and on with me, but.
Speaker 2: Different, different connections. Okay, let's talk about the subject of dreaming in black and white. In color, I don't see a difference. I don't dream of COLORAD don't dream in black. It's just dreams. So some people VI remember black and white dreams as opposed to color dreams, technic color dreams.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, this is a This has been a longstanding topic in to be it might be viewed in modern Western dream research. This is not an issue for Australian Aborigines or ancient Egyptians. They don't talk about black and white persons color dreams.
Speaker 2: This I didn't have to they didn't have color TV.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, this is the thing I kind of call it.
Speaker 2: I'm just having a little bit of fun here.
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 6: No, it's exactly true. That's that's when there is black and white TV and movies that really influenced people's dreams.
Speaker 5: We know that.
Speaker 6: And then color TV and movies come along and that influences people's dreams. So yeah, yeah, I it's it's it's fun to talk about. It's it's but the reality is that that there are recurrent patterns of colors throughout people's dreams. I mean, colors are symbolically meaningful sometimes so uh. And sometimes people do dream in kind of a monochrome, kind of a just a gray scale. That's that's that's not unheard of.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you must dream yourself, I saw right, So you're in your dreams, dreams that you have and how you pulled it, pulled it together, use it, give us an example of yours, which might help people today who are trying to figure out their dream when they wake up tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, well so so okay, so yeah, So last night I simple dream. I'm walking along. I see a black like that's called an ox, like a cowern ox, and it's a big one and I'm like, oh, that's kind of weird. And then I see to my right a little black ox. I'm like, oh, they've gotten separated. And I try to get the little black ox and I think it must be its mother. I'm like, no, you've gotten separated from your mother. You have to go back. But instead the little ox shoots down the hill and someden I see a coyote chasing after it, and I'm like, oh, that's bad.
Speaker 5: But like, but what do I do?
Speaker 6: There's nothing. I can't do anything. I'm I'm there's nothing I can do. The situation is out of my hands. And I wake up and I record the dream as I do, and I come to the phrase of like, you know, separated from the mother, and you have to go back, and the little box doesn't want to and shoots down and yes, gets in danger, but also has this is on its own. And I, even at my advanced age, I think themes of independence and how how we relate to whatever we consider mother or comfort or safety versus independence that may bring danger and may bring uncertainty. It felt when I woke up that took a moment for that to come together. But when I came to that for that phrase, it's like, oh, separated from the mother, and like, well, you know, what's my role in that? How am I mediating that?
Speaker 2: So you said something which was interesting, that you write your dreams down, So that might be a good habit for people to have a piece of paper or pad and a pa.
Speaker 6: Yes, and we're in the golden era. I mean I won't Well, I'm an unpaid consultant for an online app called Elsewhere that uses AI tools to create images and interpretations of dreams like Lickety Split. In ways that I thought I was going to be a hater, I mean, I wanted to observe them to make sure they didn't do anything horrible. And I'm very surprised at how effective these these tools are becoming. So yes, people can learn all sorts of wonderful things. I mean, you can always talk to people, of course, it's always necessary, but some of these these online tools are becoming really helpful.
Speaker 2: I think interesting, interesting. I've really enjoyed this conversation. Could I get you to come back, Well, I'd love to have you come back and do an hour. During this hour, we don't learn phone calls from listeners, but I think you would be a great guest to talk to some of my listeners. We're on from AID until midnight here in the East. I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, no, it's I love hearing people hear their experiences.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 6: I learned all sorts of new thing. There's always something new under the sun and dream research.
Speaker 2: So the movement, I should say, one of my best dreams. Okay, you know, we talk about terrifying dreams and horrible dreams as a young lawyer. As a lawyer, I represented a National Hockey League players and knew quite a bit about the game and played in high school a little bit of college, and I had this great dream every once in a while that I'm actually playing in the National Hockey League and it's obviously my mind. I wasn't ever going to get close to that status, but I could when I had that dream. And I wake up in the morning, the game never ends, but I'm there, and the crowd's there, and I'm in uniform, and it's a very cool dream and it's it's.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I study yeah, a couple of years ago on dreams and sports kind of along those lines. That's that's the thing. Yeah, yeah, all right, well well yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doctor Bulkeley, Kelly Bulkeley, let me tell you. I we'll call you, We'll have our folks get in touch with him. We'll do an hour and take all of questions. Yeah, that'll be a lot of fun because I'd like to get my audience involved. We do these interviews in the in the eight o'clock hour, and then nine, ten and eleven, we have guests for an hour and we take we take phone calls. So I appreciate if you do that, you will be a great guest, A great guest.
Speaker 6: No, well, I love the enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's your enthusiasm is infectious, and this is something that I'm interested in. Doctor Kelly Buckley, Bokeley Bulkeley. It's b l K E L E Y. But the e is silent. Do you have a book out or something like that that we can give a little plug too here or anything?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. The latest is called The Spirituality of Dreaming broad Leaf Press. I could get you a copy sent you probably if you like, I mean, certainly.
Speaker 2: We'll work that note. I can buy a copy too, but it's called The Spirituality of Dreaming and they can look it up probably through Amazon and broad Leaf Press, that's a big publishing house. Thank you so much, Thank you, very very much.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We will talk again. Thanks, good night. All right, we come back when we talk about some AI deep fakes scam alert of Hurricane Helen victims that's on social media, so you want to listen up. We're going to be talked with a friend who's been a guest before, Lieutenant Randy Sutton, retired in Las Vegas Police Department, crime expert and founder of the Wounded Blue Nation White charitable organization, whose mission is to improve the lives of injured and disabled law enforcement officers. Be talking with Lieutenant Randy Sutton retired right after this quick break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray from the Window World night Sight Studios on w b Z, the news radio.
Speaker 2: I hope Lieutenant Randy Sutton remembers me, because I remember him. I've had him on his guest a couple of times in the past. He's retired Las Vegas, Nevada Police Department expert, crime expert, founder of the Wounded Blue and national nationwide charitable group whose mission it is to improve the lives of injured and disabled law enforcement officers. Lieutenant Sutton, Welcome back to Night Side. How are you.
Speaker 5: It is a pleasure to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You bet you so. We have a whole bunch of AI deep fakes of Hurricane Helen victims that are circulating on social media that hurts real people. I'm assuming that the most of the people who are the victims of Hurricane Helene probably don't have their cell phones working or their home phones working. Give us the background of this, Lieutenant, if you'd be so kind.
Speaker 5: You know, with people scamming others after tragedies is nothing new. We've seen this for years and years and years. But the technology that's available now in order to perpetuate these scams is is not just increasing, it's more real than ever. And so what's happening is people are utilizing AI, which is, you know, the most incredible converging technology to once again scam people out of their money. And you know, here's the thing. Americans are very generous, they're very compassionate, and with social media aspect as part of this. You know, people look at very very short videos or photographs and they're touched by it. I mean, the one that's been circulated, you know, so so effectively is the little girl, pure stained face holding a puppy while you know, the craziness of the of the of the storm surrounders. I mean literally, AI is very smart. They're they're they're hitting every chord that they Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming, I'm assuming, lieutenent, what's going on is I'm sitting at home or you're sitting at home and all of a sudden, someone sends you this photograph a little girl with a puppy, Please help the victims of Hurricane Helene. So instead of helping the victims of Hurricane Aleen, you and I send a hundred bucks to some scammer who's who's working out of Belarus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's that's about right. You know. So they're they're putting it out the over social media, and you know, there's so many of these these sites out there that the pretenders, you know, pretend they have a charity, and people who have you know, the very very short concentration spans because of the training of social media, fall for these fall for these little traps, and and and and and it's a numbers game. You know. They can literally reach millions of people. So it's only one or two percent, you know, a fall for it. They can make a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I have an attitude now every time I have their look, contribute to the American Red Cross, can can contribute to the Samaritan Purse run by Franklin Graham. And there's a whole bunch of great organizations that we all know about. But when you get something like this, just hit a block on it. Block it. I do the same thing with phone calls I get all the time, and you're you're in police departments. I get, you know, I'm calling from the National Police Officers Protection Agency, And I have a brother's a retired state police lieutenant. So I get a little upset at this, and I'll ask them what percentage actually goes to benefit of police officers as opposed to your administrative costs. That point the conversation generally ends. But then I blocked their phone number. So people just need to realize, you know that there are people out there trying to pick everyone's pocket and money that you could contribute to, say to the Red Cross or Sparingness Purst or some other great organization that we know about, or an organization the Salvation Army, any of the traditional organization we all know about. It's going to go literally to some bank account of Delarus or Dagistan. That's what's that or that's what's going on.
Speaker 5: And it's very frustrating, you know, as the creator of a charity that helps injuring the disabled officers across this nation, it's very frustrating for me because I see these scams taking place, you know, you know all the time, and you know, what we're doing is we're creating a charity, well Arolaty a charry equipment. We're giving other charities that are helping police officers who have been affected by these storms. Because what happens when I mean, who is it is responding during these emergencies, it's the police officers and first responders have to leave their own families, their own homes in order to help others. So many of these police officers homes have been devastated. They're going to issues. So what we're doing is we're giving a substantial donation to other charities that directly help those officers. So people want to give, go to the Wound to Blue dot Org. Do one of our T shirts, and all the money from the sale of the of the Mountain Blue T shirts are going to help these officers whose families are affected. And like I said, you know, running a national wide charity. And by the way, I take no salary. I've never taken a salary from my organization because I live on my pension so I can serve my law enforcement community. And so I know the scammers is going on, and it hurts me deeply when people give to these these these scammers who are only lying in their own pockets. You got to be.
Speaker 2: Tenant. I hear the passion in your voice. Thank you for joining us again. That charity, your charity, a worthwhile charity is the Woundedblue Dot Org. It's obviously a five o' one c three charity. People will get a letter back or some sort of an acknowledgment for tax purposes, thanking them right.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, I appreciate you having me on. There's always a pleasure in doing.
Speaker 2: Your show, all right, Lieutenant Randy Sutton again the charity the Woundedblue Dot Org. Randy anytime. Thank you so much. Be well, stay safe, thank you. Okay, here comes to nine o'clock News. We're going to open up a conversation we've never had here, Well, we haven't had it in any depth, and that is why are kids allowed to bring cell phones and keep them with them in schools? All the evidence suggests no cell phones in schools, or put them away once you walk in the door and pick them up when you're going home at the end of the day. Love to talk with you about that on the other side of the nine o'clock News.