Speaker 1: One thing about this geen is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This teen is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 2: Let's wind it.
Speaker 4: I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 3: So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 5: Your attention, your fire and not a pistons.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion for.
Speaker 4: The small soft time they get up people, what they want to die to in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of a con. This ball's gone. You ready to go?
Speaker 6: Sure, old time go to the sud grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 1: And come to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, Tim Kakes.
Speaker 5: The Oklahoma City Express comes through for the Dodgers today in Miami. Hi, everybuddy, and welcome to Dodger Talk here on five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the I Heart Radio app. Thanks for being with us on these Wednesday afternoon some day baseball in Miami. As the Dodgers beat the Marlins ten to one, it took a couple of spins around the lineup to get the Dodgers on the board. Finally, in the top half of the sixth inning, Freddie Freeman delivered with an RBI single after showing Otani tripled with one out and two batters before that, RBI number twenty six on this season, and Freddie Freeman was just getting going. Finished with four ribbies in the game. The Dodgers erupted with a six run seventh inning to take a seven to Zing League. James Outman put the cherry on top in the ninth inning with a three run home run, but the Oklahoma City Express. The four different Triple A players called up during this road trip all came through today. Landon Knack recalled from Triple A Olkama City to get the start five shutout.
Speaker 4: Innings for the win.
Speaker 5: Matt Sour called up activated right before the game with Evan Phillips going on the injured list. Four innings of relief, four strikeouts, gives up an unearned run after a couple of Dodger airs in the ninth inning, brought in and run on a Sack fly, he picks up his first save of his big league career. Then you've got Hey sun Kim the RBI single in the seventh inning started that big six run seventh for the Dodgers. Kim played center field today, has been absolutely fantastic for the Dodgers since getting called up. And then you add James Altman, who also was on the Oklahoma City Express, joining this Dodgers team on the road trip and gets out into center field today as a relief player, lead in the game and has a three run home run in the ninth inning, his first this season in.
Speaker 4: The Big leagues.
Speaker 5: Four different TRIPLEA players called up or recalled on this road trip contributing for the Dodgers today along with the Big Three and Andy Pajez, and the Dodgers put a ten spot up on the board as they beat the Miami Marlins ten to one. If you ever wanted to test the depth of this Dodgers team at multiple positions right pitching, outfield, infield, it was on full display today with James Autman, Hey Sunk, Kim, Matt sower landinack all four brought up on this road trip, two brought up in the last day to help because of entrees because of really a taxed bullpen, and they all deliver for the Dodgers this afternoon and the win over the Miami Marlins. The Dodgers take two to three, and they're the first team now in Major League Baseball to get to twenty five wins. Don't look now, but the Dodgers are twenty five and twelve. And I say that cautiously because the division is stacked. The Dodgers just can't shake the Padres or the Giants, and based on what happens the next four days in Arizona, the Diamondbacks could be right back into the equation in the NL West. And I get it's only early May and the Dodgers have played thirty seven games, but based on what we've seen so far, the Dodgers out in front of the division for the most part the entire way. The Padres and Giants going through runs had their lull last week and now both teams have won six out of their last ten, and they're right there at game game and a half back of the Dodgers. Depending on what happens in New York and what happens with the Giants moving forward, the Dodgers just can't seem to shake them, but still the first team to twenty five wins. The Dodgers two hundred and three runs scored is the second best in all of baseball, only behind the Chicago Cubs, who have the best offense in the major leagues right now. So the Dodgers continue to win, but just can't shake the teams behind them. And I got a feeling it's gonna be that way all season long. This is gonna be the wild Wild West, like we thought a couple of years ago was gonna happen and the Dodgers just ended up running away with the division. I think here in twenty twenty five, it's gonna be that way. It's gonna be competitive. And think about all the head to head matchups the Dodgers and Padres and Dodgers and Giants still have against each other. The Dodgers are three to zero against three against NL West teams.
Speaker 4: And correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: Call those are against the Colorado Rockies, right they haven't even played the Padres yet, Dodgers haven't even seen the Giants yet, And those are the two teams sniffing them in the standings. Oh, this is gonna be a fun season. This is gonna be a fun stretch run the second half of the year. With the NL West being as good as it is this season eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two, five seventy. With the good comes the bad. The injuries for the Dodgers. As good as it was to see the Oklahoma City Express and the four guys contribute today, they're here for a reason.
Speaker 4: They're here because of injuries.
Speaker 5: Tommy Edmund, David Vasse telling us on the pregame show today, worked out in Miami, but Dave Roberts is not going to activate him off the injury list for this four game set in Arizona because of the Chase Field field being synthetic turf and being notoriously hard on knees and ankles when playing there. They're going to side on the side of caution. Either on the side of caution here for Tommy Edmond and let him stay on the injured list through the four games in Arizona and then activate him afterwards. Give him a few more days to rest that right ankle. That is good, It hasn't been a problem. They're just, you know, being cautious with Tommy Edmund and his ankle. Clayton Kershaw threw six no hit innings in an Arizona League game yesterday over in Phoenix. Now he's pitching against eighteen and nineteen year old young kids dominated them. But the good news is came out of it injury free. The toe is good, the arm is good, the body feel is good, and the future Hall of Famer is scheduled to get one more start in Oklahoma City before being activated when he's eligible to come off the injured list on May eighteenth. That is fantastic news for the Dodgers Taoscar Hernandez. Dave Roberts telling David Vasse in the media before the game forty eight hours ago, it wasn't looking good, could be a month. Well, here we are the final game of the series in Miami, and Dave Roberts alluded to the media that he could be back in a few weeks.
Speaker 4: They are fingers crossed hoping.
Speaker 5: It's not going to be as a long of an eyel stent for Taoscar Hernandez. Then then he initially thought, so, we'll see how that plays out and how much rest and rehabit he can get in the next few weeks. But also right before first pitch, the Dodgers announced Evan Phillips was placed on the injured list, another blow to the Dodgers' bullpen. Evan Phillips has just been activated from the injured list. What three and a half weeks ago, he missed twenty one games because of the right rotator cuff strain. Since coming back, made seven appearances with a save, six strikeouts in a couple of walks, well not giving up a run. But he goes back on the injured list today. Evan Phillips with right forearm discomfort.
Speaker 4: Let's head back out to Miami.
Speaker 5: Our own David Vasa just moments ago catching up with Evan Phillips.
Speaker 2: How long is this bothering you?
Speaker 7: Uh, you know, it's kind of just been. I thought it was just reacclimating to, you know, the workload, and I always felt good when I pitched, so that's kind of, you know, where my disappointment comes in, as I do feel like I can still contribute. But I think what it comes down to is is we don't want to mess around with something in early May, so we don't really have the luxury of giving me a couple of days off here to you know, figure it out. So we decided best to just you know, be cautious with it. We'll get a you know, a deeper look at things over the next week or a few days in Arizona when we get over there and you know, hopefully have a clear idea of what we're working with. But I think there's a lot of optimism in the training room about you know, what they're expecting. So let's just hope this is a quick fifteen days and we're right back to its true. We'll get to Arizona and kind of get our ducks in a row and create a plan, whether that's getting back to LA and getting something figured out or you know, see how things develop overnight. I think we've made some great progress even in just the.
Speaker 5: Past couple of days.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: That's again I'm you know, not happy to be in this position. I think we've made some great strides, am I just general recovery over the past couple of days. So hopefully we just keep building on that, you know, a pretty like normal ramp up with the rehab and everything. But do you think like just coming back and kind of being a little delayed the start of the season like it has anything to do with it. Maybe, you know, probably, But I think anytime a pictures, you know, building up, we're bound to experience some you know, soreness and you getting rebuilt up is always, you.
Speaker 4: Know, kind of a process.
Speaker 7: So I think this is just something we're being cautious with and we'll just you know, see how it plays out. But I don't feel too too worried at this point. In the forearm A yeah, Yeah, Well, I had been feeling you know, tightness kind of just generally in my my my lower arms would bice tricep forearm, and then it's kind of just bounced around a little bit. I've been getting different kinds of treatment to try to handle it, and I think that was a little bit alarming to get to the folks in the training room to see me handling things differently.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 7: Like I said, just at this stage, they're just not willing to take any chances.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: There's Evan Phillips talking with David Veasse and the assembled media.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a stretch in which the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Are playing ten games in ten days, playing nineteen games in twenty days. There is only one day off next Monday, before the Dodgers then turn around and start a nine game homestand before another day off, so there isn't a lot of breathing room to let a guy rest and give him a day off at the end of a series, a day off and then maybe a travel day. There's just not enough time there for a guide to rest without having to go on the injured list. So they are siding again on the side of caution there for the Dodgers like Tommy Evan and his ankle.
Speaker 4: With Evan Phillips.
Speaker 5: And his forearmed discomfort, a little bit of tightness there, says it feels better already than it did two days ago, and an injury injury listing is what they needed to do again because there's no days off during this ten games and ten days, and there's only one day off over the course of twenty days. With nineteen games in twenty days, you have to get another arm up there. There's just not enough room for Evan Phillips to get a breather or without him having to go on the injured list. So we'll see how that pans out. In the next couple of days. They're heading to Arizona. They certainly they got the facility there at camel Back Ranch that they can send Evan to and that's where all the Dodger pitchers and players go for rehab. That's where Clayton Kershaw was pitching yesterday in an Arizona League game against a bunch of young players. So thankfully the Dodgers are going outside of coming back to Los Angeles, Dodgers are going to the best spot Arizona so they can get those bodies that are hurt to camel Back Ranch. And I know they're gonna plan on getting hopefully some eyes on Blake Trining and Blake Snell and some of these Dodger pitchers, Tyler Glassdal while they're at camel Back Ranch and kind of get an update on what's happening with some of these Dodger pitchers. Again today, a masterful job by Matt Sower four innings gets him out of a jam with nobody out and runners on first and second in the sixth land and neck before that five shot out innings, the Dodgers' offense explodes for six runs in the seventh in a ten to one win over the Marlins. Just got to the phone, Steven la Thanks for joining us here on Dodger Talk on this Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 4: What's going on? Steve?
Speaker 3: Hey, Tim, I'm glad you're on the phone with me because I played baseball. You played baseball at a high level. The eyes don't lie. When Edmund comes back, howsum and Kim should be the second baseman, then you what do you call it?
Speaker 2: At third?
Speaker 3: You use Kiki and the month Sie. But here's the big thing, Tim, how much and you are a catcher? How much longer do we have to put up with Austin Barnes.
Speaker 2: As a hitter?
Speaker 3: You know, I have my nephew's friend. It's better than Austin Barnes.
Speaker 2: He's pathetic.
Speaker 4: It was a struggle. It was a struggle.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it was a struggle today at the plate for Austin Barnes. He obviously was not happy with one of the at bats. You can see him almost like he wanted to break the bat over his knee Bo Jackson style. And he's frustrated with his offense and lack thereof. But Austin Barnes is a really good defensive catcher. And Austin Barnes is not playing every day. Will Smith is catching, you know, two out of every three games, four out of every six games. So that's where a bulk of the Indians and the at bats are going. It's hard to be a backup catcher in the major leagues and be a three hundred hitter. It just is you don't get enough of AB's. You don't get as as many opportunities as you like. Austin Barnes would love to be out there catching two out of every three games, four out of any six games, like a Will Smith.
Speaker 4: But his role is to be the backup.
Speaker 5: And it's not like you're gonna bring up I don't know Dalton Rushing to be a backup catcher to catch one out of every game in a series, a day game after a night game.
Speaker 4: You need to get him at.
Speaker 5: Bats, you need to get him opportunities to play every day. And that's why he's had a logjam right now in TRIPAA, Oklahoma City.
Speaker 4: And that's why Austin Barnes, to me.
Speaker 5: Is the perfect backup catcher veteran calls a great game, receives well, is very good defensively, and you know what you get out of him on defense, it's just a very very solid, above average, really good major league catcher, a good mind behind the plate. Offensively, what you get is what you get, and right today, zero for four with three punch outs, that's what you're gonna get at the bottom of the lineup with Austin Barnes. Fortunately, everybody else stepped up today. Even a hitless Mookie Betts still got on base twice with a couple of walks. Dodgers ten runs on twelve hits, beat the Marlins until one. We'll take a break, we'll come back. We'll get to more of your phone calls. We're also gonna hear from Freddy Freeman, what a day he had, what a series he.
Speaker 4: Had against the Miami Martins.
Speaker 5: We'll hear from Freddy her phone calls, and then turn things over to Petro. Some money coming up in about fifteen minutes. Don't go anywhere. Dodgers beat the Marlins ten to one here on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports. Be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk all of those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app. We're streaming online. We stream every game too.
Speaker 4: Come find it.
Speaker 1: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 6: I've regressed it back where it was, but he was swinging well, and he swings well here and he hammers one to the center field. It's deep, it's back to the wall.
Speaker 4: It's gone.
Speaker 1: A har run, A.
Speaker 4: Three run home run for James Outman.
Speaker 6: Once around the park, James, it is ten to nothing Dodgers.
Speaker 5: James out me with the three run home run. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to N five seventy LA sports dot Com keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card just by predicting the number of home runs in the next game.
Speaker 4: Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 5: Dodgers own the Miami Marlins a ten to one win in South Florida today, landing NAC five shutout innings, gets to win.
Speaker 4: He improves the two to zero.
Speaker 5: Matt Sower comes in and pitches solid four innings of relief to pick up his first big League save. As the Dodgers erupted for six runs in the seventh inning. You just heard the three run home run from James Outman in the ninth inning. That was the cherry on top in a Dodgers ten to one win. Again, Tommy Edmond Ta Oscar Hernandez trending in the right direction. You heard Evan Phillips going on the injured list with the right forearm tightness. That was Matt Sower getting called up from Triple A Oklahoma City taking his spot, and he was fantastic with four innings of relief, giving up one Earnarn run in the ninth inning after back to back errors by the Dodger in field put runners on, and then a sack fly brought in the loan run of the game for my Amy. Let's go back out to the phones, Larry to Mechila, thanks for being patient, Larry.
Speaker 4: How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Hey, I just wanted to comment on your last caller, who I don't know. He seemed to proclaim that he's he's played ball at a high level. I don't know. Full me crazy, but I don't think it's a coincidence that every time, not every time, but often times, when the Dodgers have to throw a young pitcher out to start a game, often times Austin Barnes is behind the plate. I think there's a reason for that. I don't think it's a coincidence, right Austin Barnes obviously knows how to receive the ball. He's a really good receiver.
Speaker 3: Of the ball.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have the arm that he used to have. That's okay, I mean, but young pitchers need to have their confidence built, and apparently he must provide something because, as I say, I don't think it's coincidence that he's always out there catching these young guys. And by the way, yeah, he's not hitting as well as he did last year, but Austin Barnes had a nice what two eighty last year playing once a week.
Speaker 7: That's not bad.
Speaker 2: Now the guy that plays once a.
Speaker 4: Week, I'm with you, yeah, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: One other comment. You know, Andrew Friedman has done a really nice job over the years obviously putting this roster together. But don't look now, but you know, they were like, what four superior arms available in the off season. Max Freed is sitting with a sub one e r A, so we signed the first of those big arms. You know. Blake Snell is a great pitcher, but he has a history of injury, and as does Max Freed. But Max Freed looks pretty good and the Yankee tin strike he looks.
Speaker 4: Good so far.
Speaker 5: Larry, you're right, Well, we'll see how it all shakes out the second half of the season and moving forward. Because you're right, Max Freed does have an injury history, as does Blake Snell, But Blake Snell's also got a couple of Cy Young's sitting on.
Speaker 4: The back of his office chair.
Speaker 5: There has been a really good pitcher the second half of the season, and certainly that's what the Dodgers are wanting, is him to be there when it counts late in the year. Freddie Freeman has been there and continues to dominate. Freddie Freeman today an RBI single in the sixth He then had a three run home run in the seventh inning. Freddie Freeman just continues to dominate against the Miami Marlins. He has the most home runs of any player against the Marlins as an opposing hitter. He had that home run to break the record, now forty two. Yesterday, Freddie Freeman extends his Hitty Street to twelve games with the hits today for the Dodgers, now hitting three to sixty two on the season. Let's go back out to Miami. Here from Freddie postgame.
Speaker 8: Yeah, obviously I feel good. I mean, swing's going up to the middle kind of looking for the swing for a long time and finally found it. Things are going good. I mean, just the pitches, like the triple pitch, you know it's down below the zone, able to stay through it and not roll it over. So that's when you know you're feeling good.
Speaker 7: Dave said he thought that you had to find a new normal with your ankle.
Speaker 4: Have you found a new normal or is this the same Freddy No.
Speaker 8: I mean I might need to check myself a little bit, you know, getting thrown out going for a double the other day, I was out by about fifteen steps. I thought I was athletic going back when I was trying to when I got doubled off tonight, that didn't look so good on replay. So I think that's a new normal. It's just my brain and my ankle aren't really. I still think I can run and do some stuff, but I know I feel my routine is the same. I feel good. My ankle's obviously feeling much better because I think if you guys know, we were talking about potentially a day off during this road trip, and obviously I didn't take it, So I think that kind of says it all for itself. That my ankle's feeling really good right now. It's in a good spot. And obviously my swing is too differently with the lower half in your swing because of the ankle. No more, I have done nothing, I think I myself. I'm thinking the same things. My ankle feels good, so I'm hitting three times a day with my knee drills and you know, kind of doing the same thing I've always done. So that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: There's Freddy Freeman. It kind of feels like the ankle is doing well. And I'm sure it's not one hundred percent. But Freddie Freeman again today legging out a triple, you know, three for four, four ribbies, comes out of the game early so Dave Roberts can get him off his feet. But to think about what Freddy Freeman has done during this twelve game hitting streak, I mean today three for four, four ribbies. During this twelve game hitting streak, he's batting four to seventy eight. He is twenty two of for forty six with eight extra base hits and eighteen ribbies. During the last twelve game hitting streak for Freddie Freeman three sixty two average. Again only Trails, Aaron Judge, who's hitting over four hundred amongst hitters with ninety at bats this year.
Speaker 4: Freddy Freeman just.
Speaker 5: Quietly hitting three sixty two. I mean, you kind of put your head down, look what the Dodgers are doing. Next thing, you know, you look up and Freddie Freeman's second in the majors in batting average. Freddie Freeman's has a twelve game hitting streak. Just kind of whole hum. There's nothing a whole hum about what Freddie Freeman is doing right now. And to think, you know, we're talking about what Austin Barnes isn't doing offensively.
Speaker 4: Hey, when you've got eight guys.
Speaker 5: Above him doing what they're doing producing offensively, When you got six guys, you know, consistently producing the way they are, throwing Andy pajees into that group. Now to Askar Hernandez when he's healthy, Mookie Bez, Freddie Freeman show, Hey, o Tani, you don't necessarily need all nine guys to go three for four and driving a bunch of runs every single game. There are different rules and different things for different guys during the game, and obviously what you get offensively from Austin Barnes as far as production you take. But again, his defense is really good. And then what he does is helping out a young staff and a young pitcher like he did today in landon Neck and he's done with Roki Sasaki and even going back to Yamamodo Go and dealing with these young arms and being a guy who's behind the plate and makes them feel a little bit more ease. So Dodgers get the win today a collective effort. They erupt for six runs into seventh. Freddie Freeman drives in four, James Autman a three run home run in the ninth inning, and the Dodgers beat up on the Marlins ten to one. That's going to do it for a postgame Dodgers off coming up next, It's a Petro said Money show, and I got a feeling the launching pad may have takeoff coming up here shortly. Thanks to Colin ye Neanks to all you for listening being a part as you're making your way home on this Wednesday afternoon. Dodgers get the win and hopefully we entertained you for a little while.
Speaker 4: If not, maybe next time.
Speaker 5: Petros and Money Show coming up next, we'll be back at it.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck from Arizona, getting it all started at five thirty pm. First pitch from Chase Field Dodgers and Snakes is at.
Speaker 4: Six point forty.
Speaker 5: Yoshi Yamamoto and Brandon fought the pitching match up until then.
Speaker 4: PMS is coming up next.
Speaker 8: The poll by
Speaker 6: The same son of the largest in the boom of the largest