Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today, Pastor Rick continues in a series called Forty Days of Love. In these lessons, Rick looks into the Bible to help you better understand God's great love for you and to empower you to love others the way Jesus does. But first, in just a bit, we'll tell you how to get Pastor Rick's Forty Days of Love Bible study with six video sessions and workbook. It's perfect for individual studying and also great to do with a small group of friends. You can take a sneak peek by going to Pastorick dot com while you listen, or just text the word hope to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. That's the word hope to eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick with part two of a message called It's All All about Loves.
Speaker 2: So during forty Days of Love, we're gonna have to do some healing in your heart because you have been hurt in life. You've been hurt by parents, or you've been hurt by peers on school, or you've been hurt by professionals. Are you been hurt by partners? Maybe some of you have been abused, or you've been misused, or you've been rejected, or you've been abandoned, or you've been betrayed, and you've got some scabs on your heart, and we're gonna have to do some gentle surgery on your heart because you can't love others until you feel loved.
Speaker 3: Let me say that again.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to come back to this several times this in the next forty days. You cannot give to others what you have not received yourself. You cannot give to others what you don't possess. Unlovely people are unloved people, Hurt people, hurt people. It's like a bottle of toothpaste. When you squeeze a bottle of toothpaste, what's going to come out? Whatever is inside it. And if you're filled with anger and you're filled with impatience and you don't feel loved, guess what, You're not gonna be able to love anybody else. So you have to learn how much God loves you and experience that and let it heal your heart so His love can flow through you. It is impossible to love others until you really feel love yourself. So during forty Days of Love, we're gonna work on this. We're going to experience it, and I want you to feel the love of transforming love that comes from God. First John four sixteen says this, we know and we rely on the love that God has for us. Do you know the love of God? And do you rely on the love of God for you? If you don't, you have a hard time love on other people. Oh, it's easy to love people who love you, that's no problem. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about loving the unlovely, loving the difficult, loving the irritable, loving the people who are different, who are demanding, loving people all around you who you don't feel like loving. You can't do that until you have God's love coming through you. Love happens because we are loved by God. Now, Number two, the second thing that the Bible teaches us is that love is a choice. Love is a choice and it is a commitment. It is a choice and it is a commitment. You choose to love or you choose not to love.
Speaker 3: It is a choice.
Speaker 2: You see, today, we've bought into this myth that love is uncontrollable, that you really can't control it. It just kind of happens to you. No, that's not true. Love is a choice and love is commitment. In fact, even the language we use is this language that it's uncontrollable. We say I fell in love like it was a ditch, you know.
Speaker 3: I was just walking along.
Speaker 2: One day and I was like coman, you know, I fell in love.
Speaker 3: I couldn't help myself. I'm sorry I fell in love. That's not love. Now.
Speaker 2: Attraction is uncontrollable, no doubt about it, and arousal is uncontrollable, no doubt about it. But our attraction and arousal are not love. They could lead to love, but they are not love. Love is a choice. This last week I don't get to do weddings anymore, But this last week I did a wedding for my personal associate, my assistant, Steve, and he and his fiancee Nicole stood right here on this stage and they made choices, and they made commitments in and their vows.
Speaker 3: They said to each.
Speaker 2: Other, I choose you above everybody else in the world, and I choose you for the rest of my life. That's a choice, and that's a commitment. Now, you can't force somebody to fall in love with you, and you can't force them to stay in.
Speaker 3: Love with you. Why Because love is a choice.
Speaker 2: Love cannot be forced, and this is true of all relationships. It is a choice. Notice this verse Deuteronomy, chapter thirty. Choose to love the Lord your God and commit yourself to him. Now, that same principle there is true about all relationships. You must choose to love God. God is going to force you to love him. You can fund your nose to God and go a total different way. You can destroy your life if you want to. God won't force you to love him because love can't be forced.
Speaker 3: Love is a choice.
Speaker 2: But, as it says, choosed, I have chosen to love God and I've chosen to commit myself to him.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing with everything else.
Speaker 2: I choose to love you, and I choose to commit myself to you.
Speaker 3: Love is a choice and is a commitment.
Speaker 2: Now, when people say, well, I just don't love her anymore, as if you don't have any choice, No, just be a man, own up to it. You're choosing not to love her anymore. Given the right circumstance, any two people could quote fall in love. But love is a choice, and you can choose to love anybody, and you can choose not to love anybody. So when you say, well I don't love him anymore, I don't love her anymore, Well that's your choice, but don't blame it on circumstances.
Speaker 3: You are choosing not to love. It's a choice. Number three.
Speaker 2: Love is an action, not just emotion. Love is an action, not just emotion. Now, as I said, it's more than a traction, it's more than a rouse. It's more than sentimentality. You know today the songs of love are. You know, I've got to quiver in my liver. You know, it's an ocean of emotion. Well, when the emotion is gone, does that mean love is dead? No, not at all, Because love is an action, it's something you do. Love is a behavior. Now, love can cause emotion. In fact, it causes the strongest emotions in human beings. It can create emotion, It can cause emotion, it can produce emotion. But love is not an emotion. Why why do you say that, Well, in the first place, in the Bible, over and over, we are commanded by God to love each other. And you cannot command an emotion. If I told you right now be sad, well, you can't just be sad on cue. You can fake it, but you can't command you know. Have you as a parent, have you ever told a little kid, I command you to be happy.
Speaker 3: I'll try you, daddy.
Speaker 2: You just can't command an emotion. Emotions are often uncontrollable, and if love was just an emotion, then God couldn't command it. But love is something you do. It produces emotion, but it is an action. In fact, the Bible says this first John, chapter three, verse eighteen. Let us love not with words or tongue, in other words, just talk about it, but with action and in truth. You know you can talk a good action. So oh, I love people I love, But do you really love them? Let's see how you act toward them. It's like the girlfriend who said to her boyfriend, you know he's always saying, he said, honey, I die for you, I die for you. She said, you always say that, but you never do it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope Rip will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at Pastorick dot com. That's Pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: Jesus said there's nothing more important than loving God and loving others. That's why Pastor Rick created the Forty Days of Love Bible Study that comes with a six session DVD in workbook. In these sessions, Rick helps you understand how deep and wide God's love is for you and reveals how you can enjoy happy and successful relationships with others by focusing on the spiritual principles of patience, kindness, truth, and forgiveness. This resource is perfect for personal study, or you can invite a few friends over and do it in a small group setting. And today, when you give a gift to share the love of Jesus with people here and around the world, Wilson to you Pastor Rick's forty Days of Love Bible Study to say thanks. Get yours now and experience more fulfilling relationships as you live a life powered by the love of Jesus. Go to Pastorick dot com right now to get your copy, or you can call eight hundred at six hundred eight five zero zero four that's Pastorick dot com. Or call eight hundred six hundred at five zero zero four. Thank you so much for your support, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you heard us on.
Speaker 1: Now back to more from God's Word with Pastor Rick Warren.
Speaker 2: You know you can talk a good action, so oh, I love people I love, But do you really love? Well, let's see how you act toward them. It's like the girlfriend who said to her boyfriend, you know he's always saying, he said, honey, I die for you, I die for you. She said, you always say that.
Speaker 3: But you never do it.
Speaker 2: Love is something you do. Now, let me say a couple of things about love and action. Actually, acting in love when you don't feel it is the highest form of love. It's actually a more mature love when you act loving toward a person when they're not responding to you or you don't feel it. I mean, it's easy to love somebody who loves you. That's nothing, that takes nothing at all. But real love acts and does the loving thing when they don't deserve it, when they don't respond or when you don't feel it. Anybody who's had children knows that when they're growing up as babies, as little babies, and you get up five or six times in the night to take care of.
Speaker 3: That little baby. You don't do it because you feel like it. I think I'll get up again. I've had too much sleep.
Speaker 2: I think I'll just get up again and go check on that baby. No, you do it because you feel like it.
Speaker 3: No, you do it because it's the loving thing to do.
Speaker 2: Anytime you've held a sick pen for a loved one who was nauseated, you didn't feel like doing that, but it's what they needed, and you were being loving when they were sick. You were giving them what they needed, not what you felt like doing.
Speaker 3: That is the ultimate form of love.
Speaker 2: When you are patient with somebody who's irritable, a clerk who's being a jerk, and every bone in your body wants to be sarcastic back to them, and you respond in kindness and politeness and in love to that clerk who's being a jerk, and you're giving them not what they deserve, but what they need.
Speaker 3: That's love.
Speaker 2: When you do the loving thing, when you come home at night and you're as tired as everybody else is, but you do the loving thing not because you feel like doing it, but you do it out of love. That's ultimate love. Does that make sense? So love is an action more than an emotion. In fact, the Book of James James says, you know, if you do all this big talk about love and all this talk about faith, but you don't follow it up with actions, it's worthless. What good is that? It doesn't matter. The second thing I'd say about love is action, is that it is always easier to act your way into a feeling than it is to feel your way into an action.
Speaker 3: Let me say that again.
Speaker 2: It's always easier to act yourself into a loving feeling instead of waiting for the feeling to come and then you're going to act loving. Some of you have been in marriages for a long time, and the truth is the flame's gone out and the thrill is gone, and you're living separate lives in the same house. How do you rekindle that romance? How do you rekindle the feeling of love? You act your way into a feeling. Now, if you say, now, when I don't feel like acting loving toward him, well so what or I don't feel like acting loving toward her? If you start acting in love, I guarantee you the feelings follow, because feelings follow behavior. In the Book of Revelation, Jesus says to the church, you have left your first love, and then he says three things. So remember what it was like at first.
Speaker 3: Repent.
Speaker 2: That means change your mind and do the things you did at the start. And what he tells the church is the same thing for renewing the love in a marriage or any other relationship. You remember, you repent, and you do the things you did at first. The reason the love went away is you stop doing the things that created the love feelings in the early days. Now, if you say, well, I wait till I feel romantic to be romantic is never going to happen. It's kind of like prayer.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: If the only time I pray is when I feel like it, the devil makes sure I never feel like it. Actually, I need to pray when I don't feel like it. In fact, that's when I need it the most. When I don't feel like praying, that's when I really need to pray. And actually, when I don't feel loving. This is a test. God is saying, are you going to learn to love me and to love other people when you don't feel like it. God doesn't want you living by your feelings. He wants you living by faith, so you know what he does. Sometimes he lets the feelings go away, and then you have to love by faith and live by faith. And when you love somebody and do the loving thing, even when they're not responding, and even maybe when they're retaliating, you are loving by faith. And that is an action. You act your way into a feeling, not vice versa. Now you say, well, I don't feel very loving, Well, so what just do the right thing during the forty Days of Love.
Speaker 3: That means we're going to have some practical assignments for you to do.
Speaker 2: You don't learn to love by listening to a sermon, and you don't learn to love simply by reading a book, and you don't learn to love simply by going to a small group and discussing and watching some videos. Those are all helpful things, but you actually learn to love by practicing it, by doing it. And so we're gonna have some assignments for you to do each week to help you practice learning how to love.
Speaker 3: And that brings me.
Speaker 2: To the fourth thing the Bible teaches us about love. The Bible says that love is a skill. It is a skill, it's something you can get good at now. You may think you're a good lover, but I'm talking about becoming a great lover, a skilled lover, a master lover, learning to love. Like most people never learn how to love. Love is a skill that can be learned. I can learn it. Did you know that? Did you know that love can be learned? And you can get good at it, and you can get better at it, and you can become an expert at relationships. And God wants you to become a skilled lover. We want our church to be known as the most loving church around. We don't want saddleback Church to be known for, well, that's the big church, or that's the church that has the good music or whatever.
Speaker 3: We want that people say, that's the church where they love.
Speaker 2: And they don't care who you are or what you look like, or where you've been or what you've done, or where you're from.
Speaker 3: They love you there.
Speaker 2: And not only do they love you there, they teach you how to love. And So what we're going to do for the next forty days is.
Speaker 3: Have some lessons on loving Now.
Speaker 2: The Bible says this and one John four seven, Dear friends, let us practice loving each other circle the word practice. The only way you get skilled at something is you practice it. You do it over and over, and the first time you do it feels awkward, and the more you do it, you get better and better at it.
Speaker 3: Same as to you with love.
Speaker 2: Let us practice loving each other, and we're going to practice during these forty days, for love comes from God, and those who are loving and kind show that they are the children of God and that they're getting to know Him better. He said, it's proof that you're really a believer, that you're in the family of God, that you're saved, he says. The proof is that you love other people. He says, let us practice this skill. Now, we're going to practice that. In fact, in one Timothy four fifteen, let's read this one aloud. Together, practice these things and devote yourself to them in order that your progress.
Speaker 3: May be seen by all.
Speaker 2: In just a minute, we're going to set up a little example of how we're going to measure our progress between today and between the end of the forty days of purpose journey, because I want you to be able to see your progress in love if you will do the things that we ask you to do during these forty days, not just to tend and listen. But if you'll do all the different assignments, I guarantee you will become a better lover. You will become a more loving man, you will become a more loving woman. Your character will be transformed, and you will see your progress. But it says in order to see that progress, it said, you've got to practice, and you've got to devote. You've got to make the commitment to do it, and you then you have to to practice it.
Speaker 3: Now. The fifth thing.
Speaker 2: That the Bible teaches about love is that love is a habit. It is a habit. You can't claim to be a loving person unless you are habitually loving. See Basically, your character is the sum of your habits.
Speaker 3: Let me see it this way.
Speaker 2: If you only love off and on like a light switch, Boom, i'm gonna love that person. Boom, I'm not gonna love that person. Boom, I'm gonna love that person. Boom, I'm gonna not love that If love is a light switch, which you are not a loving person. Now you may think you're a loving person, but love happens when you love the unlovely. Look at this verse on the screen. Luke six p'int thirty two. If you only love those who love you, what credit is that to you? In other words, well, big deal, big whoopee. The point is you think I'm a loving person because I love those who love me, I love my family. That's not being a loving person. Being a loving person is when you love the unlovely, when you love people who don't love you, when you love people who irritate you, when you love people who backbite against you, who gossip about you. Anybody can love people who love them. That's no that takes no character at all. Shoot, a dog can love that kind of love. You pet the dog, you feed the dog. Guess what it all? Wag it's tail. Okay, you don't feed it, you don't pet it. It's going to learn something else, But it is. God says love must become a habit.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. If you've missed any part of this message, or if you'd like to find out more about Pastor Rick Warren in this ministry, just visit Pastorick dot com, where you can listen online anytime. That's Pastor Rick with two rs inthemiddle dot com, and be sure to sign up for Rick's free daily email devotional while you're there, Rick will be back in just a moment. But first, Jesus said there's nothing more important than loving God and loving others. That's why Pastor Rick created the Forty Days of Love Bible Study that comes with a sixth session DVD and workbook. In these sessions, Rick helps you understand how deep and wide God's love is for you and reveals how you can enjoy a happy and successful relatetion reationship with others by focusing on the spiritual principles of patience, kindness, truth, and forgiveness. This resource is perfect for a personal study, or you can invite a few friends over and do it in a small group setting. And today, when you give a gift to share the love of Jesus with people here and around the world, We'll send you Pastor Rick's Forty Days of Love Bible Study to say thanks. Get yours now and experience more fulfilling relationships as you live a life powered by the love of Jesus. Go to Pastorick dot com right now to get your copy, or you can just call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four that's Pastorick dot com. Or call eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. Thanks so much for your support, and don't forget to let us know which radio station you hurt us on. Here's Rick with a letter from one one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: I love the letters that you send to me. Here's one from a guy named Mike. He says he's learning so much from Daily Hope that he wants to pass it on to others. And here's what he writes, Rick, I've been reading Daily Hope devotional since two thousand and nine. I started listening to the Daily Hope audio teachings daily, and sometimes I listen to three or four per day. Wow Wow, Mike, he says. With the cup of coffee in my hand and Daily Hope in my ear, at the beginning of every day, I just feel uplifted.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Oftentimes so I'm pretty convicted, but I always come away knowing that my father in Heaven loves me. Mike writes, you know, last September, after listening to your daily messages on the Forty Days of Love series, I ordered that series and I have listened to it six or seven times, and I am so impressed with all the truth in this series that I'm going to be ordering a series for each of my children and a special friend of mine that's Christian, but because of upbringing, is having difficulty understanding the love that God has for her. You know, part of your relationship with Jesus is being able to tell your life story to others, to let them know how God has transformed your life. Did you know that when you share your story of transformation and hope, other people get blessed as well. So tell somebody today about God's work in your life. I want you to just think about this. Who could you tell your story to today? Just think about that and then do it. God bless you and thanks for listening to Daily Hope.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to let Rick know how this broadcast has blessed you, please feel free to send him an email at Rick at pastorick dot com. That's Rick at pastorick dot com. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word.
Speaker 3: For our daily hope.
Speaker 1: This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support