Speaker 1: Hm. Welcome friends, podcast podcast Jackie about we need to unleash the greatest Warrior immortality, Turkin, It's yours. The loser will burn before nightfall. Now you know who you're fighting, then no one else. Troy, A Wolfgang Peterson film, Rated R May fourteenth. Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zaki Hasan and I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going, Zachi?
Speaker 1: You know, Brian, I've always thought of you as kind of the the Agamemnon to my Menilais you kind of give off that that that Agamemnon conquered the Trojans energy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good. That's what I'm trying to put out there. So I'm glad you're picking up what I'm putting down.
Speaker 1: You know, we're watching Troy today, the two thousand and four film, and this is one of those This is to me people often ask like, what's the what what makes How do we decide what we do our commentaries about? You know, and to me, sometimes we do anniversaries and sometimes like well, you know, if there's a new film coming out, we can do a previous version, and this is like when when else would we do Troy, right, right, we got we got. The Odyssey is about to come out. I know you're excited for it. Yeah, a lot of people are excited for it. A lot of people online are are pretending they're not excited for to drive the Algo. But but what's been cool is is in the lead up to the Odyssey, there's been this renewed discussion about Troy, which has been fun because this one came out more than twenty years ago and it was a big hit, but it was sort of like, you know, critically, it wasn't particularly well regarded. It's like it was sort of collectively decided, no, we don't like this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, like it's watching it. I was thinking this is very of its moment for a lot of reasons that I'll get into. And even particularly with the actors here, Eric Banna, Orlando Bloom, these are people I associate with sort of the aughts, you know, and this movie, like you said, did make a lot of money, but it kind of stayed in the aughts.
Speaker 1: Really, that's right. Yeah, yeah, so interesting time capsule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: So as always with these, I'm like, come on this, this this could be a fun discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, definitely. Well, and I gotta admit, I mean, I'll say it right before we start. I'm not superer familiar with the story of the Odyssey or the Iliad, like these are things I know through movies or references and things. So it was interesting to watch this and then read about people's opinions on this particular take and kind of have this in my head now for when I go into the Odyssey, right right, Like, people who are not major characters in this story are major characters in the Odyssey, And yeah, obviously things will be slightly different in that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. So, Yeah, it was nice.
Speaker 2: To get a little bit of a refresher, at least dip my toe, I guess, into this.
Speaker 1: World, into this world. Perfect timing. Yeah, so we are watching the theatrical cut. This is the two thousand and fourth theatrical cut. There is, of course, a two thousand and seven director's cut, which I believe you watched it in the lead up to this commentary track. Right, the director's cut I did three hours plus Yeah, me too, yep, So this will be my first time watching the theatrical cut since since oh four, same, Yeah, I am glad I watched the director's cut. However, no, me too.
Speaker 2: I mean it's going to be interesting because we're going to be noticing the differences, experiencing it differently in real time together live on Mike. So I'm kind of curious. Is I have that version fresh in my mind, and I'm just curious what we'll be missing and changed and rearranged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see what we notice? Yeah, So if you want to watch along with us, we can. Again, it's the it's the theatrical cut. Best way to experience this commentary if you do want to sync it up, is of course the ad free version, which is available on our Patreon feed. Brian, you want to tell people about that?
Speaker 2: Yes, all you have to do head over to patreon dot com slash movie Film Podcast hit subscribe for only five dollars a month. You get all these commentaries, this commentary, every commentary we've ever done, which is a lot of them, all ad free. No ads are interruptions budding into the conversation, which is especially nice if you're trying to watch along with us. In addition to that, our regular episodes are I had free and we have bonus conversations that drop over there about twice a month, so I want to get into that Patreon dot com slash movie film podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm ready, how about you? I'm ready. Okay, we'll do the usual thing. We'll hit play on three. Ready, I'm ready, one, two, three, play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 1: I was eager to.
Speaker 2: Watch this different version here and just see how much I noticed. Yeah, but what I am a little sad about is because we're watching it with the sound off, right, we have close captions on so we can follow along. But I heard that the music was very different in the director's cut.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, So the film itself has a James Horner score, which he you know, he tossed it together a matter of weeks, Yeah, because they weren't happy with with the original score, but with the with the director's cut, they ended up leaving in a lot of the temp Hmmm.
Speaker 2: You know I noticed that stuff that sounded a little sinfy mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Interesting. Well, well, specifically in the director's cut when when Hector and Achilles are fighting, it's the theme music from the Danny Elfman score for Planet of the Apes.
Speaker 2: I noticed that that.
Speaker 1: I was like, I know that music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you know what I was like, wow, it really fits.
Speaker 1: It did work. You can see why they tempt it with that. Yeah, you know, and and that sequence. I did watch the theatrical cut and that that's good too. It's different though, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I might have to skip around through this after this and just yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so right up top, we should say, uh, you know this arrived right in the in the renewed wave of sword and sandal pictures that really came into vogue. Well, I would say, like, like what we saw in the nineties was these these modern takes on old timey epics, right, so we could we could maybe start the clock with Robinhood Prince of Thieves.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was gonna I was thinking Braveheart, but you're right, Robinhood Prince of Thieves for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brave Heart. We'd throw that in the mix. Obviously, Gladiator was a huge hit in two thousand and Gladiator had been offered to Wolfgang Peterson, who turned it down, Okay, and he regretted having turned it down. Yeah, sure. And so it's fascinating to look at the chronology of you know, this is like the sliding doors of Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right, it's kind of strange, right, Yeah, these big movies that we associate with specific directors. It's like, oh, yeah, this was in this director's hands for a while, then another director's hands for a while. It would have been an entirely different movie.
Speaker 1: Well, specifically with Wolfgang Peterson in the early two thousands, was attached to Batman Versus Superman? Right, do you know a lot about that?
Speaker 2: I don't know a lot about that.
Speaker 1: Take not a ton. I mean I read a I read a synopsis of what it was. I mean, it was meant to be a very big deal. And then and then at the very last minute Warner Brothers kaibashed it. And this project Troy had initially been developed by Peterson and then he jumped ship to do Batman vs. Superman and and so in the interim, this got assigned to a young buckstrap named Christopher Nolan wild right, right, and then Batman Versus Superman gets gets gets the Axe. So Wolfgang Peterson's like, all right, well I want to do Troy. And so they're like, okay, Christopher Nolan, how about this Batman thing? Crazy amazing right, crazy slightings, you know, yeah, and so you know it is full circle. Nolan never forgot about being in this realm. H So, here we are. You know.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he had some visions and now that he can do whatever he wants, He's like, not only can I bring those visions to life, but I can bring them to life my way.
Speaker 1: I've got the power, so so too. Thus, first of all, Brian Cox is having the time of his life in this movie.
Speaker 2: I loved watching him in this.
Speaker 1: He he talked about how he this was the one and only time he he went and aggressively like campaigned for a role. Hmmm, because they were thinking about giving it to Ben Kingsley and he's like, no, no, no, no, no, You're giving it to me. Oh he's so good in this and you can see why. Second, I didn't realize that's Julian Glover, who's yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I I clocked him immediately for some reason, just out of that face, you know, and I'm used to older looking him. I think from Game of Thrones. Thrones, oh, which the Game of Thrones connection. David Benioff, that's right, wrote the screenplay for this. That's right, I'm looking at imd It says the writers are David Benioff and someone named Homer just want one word, like Madonna.
Speaker 1: Simpson, Dude, what must life be like to be this guy? Just this this behemoth of a man.
Speaker 2: Freaking walking action figure, like I mean truly like trying to walk through doorways.
Speaker 1: You know. See, I would imagine that if he and I don't, if he's like a teddy bear of a guy, nobody would even know because they'd be so intimidated by him. It's like, you know, there there's a Cheers episode where, uh, you know the guy from Revenge of the Nerds who just passed away recently, the big Ogre. That's it. Yeah, So he's in Cheers and he's hired as like a bodyguard for the bar, and everyone in the bar is like afraid of him, and they don't want to They're like they they don't want him there, and they don't, you know, and and and then finally at the end, he's like, you know, you could just like talk to me like I'm a person, and you just feel so terrible.
Speaker 2: You get a lot of if you're if you're into like Brad pitt Butt, you get a lot of Brad pitt Butt.
Speaker 1: In this movie very much. So well, this is this is this is peak pit this is peak pit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh dude, there are times where I'm just like, wow, Like his face, he's like the sun shining at you, you know what I mean, Like, he's just he's whatever your feelings about him, he is an objectively attractive person.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very funny because I saw multiple interviews of of with Brian Cox, like retrospectively. Multiple times he's like and then you know, Brad Pitt showed up, and you know that's hilarious. Now here's the interesting thing. Brad Pitt did not want to be in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I we might have the same quotes here, but I want to Yeah, please get in.
Speaker 1: If you've got the specific quotes, definitely pull it. But yeah, he was supposed to be in The Fountain, the Aaronofsky flick. He backed out of that, and so he had to he had like a make do, make good to do with Warner Brothers. So he does Troy and and he's he said as much, He's like, I wasn't really feeling it. I have to say, though, he's pretty good in this I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean playing this character like this is a really interesting kind of anti hero sort of character, you know, like he's he does things I don't like, but he looks a little mournful about them, you know, like he's the way he treats Rose Burn's character, like he's an interesting guy who's also a born killer.
Speaker 1: And he showed up like he ain't walking through it, you know what I mean? Yeah, for sure. Yeah, and he and you might have the specific quote, but but he he talked about how he's like, I didn't have a bad time making it. I just didn't want to be there. Yeah, you know what I mean. But he got seventeen millions, so you know what, dry the tears, Brad, Wow, you'll be all right, yes, seriously.
Speaker 2: Although also, you know, I think we've talked about how, you know, you look at Indiana Jones in the eighties. They made a big deal in nineteen eighty four with Temple of Doom about how like, oh, Harrison Ford, we got him this like elite trainer and his body you won't even believe the shape he's going to be in for this movie. And then when you see him with his shirt off, you're like, yeah, he looks like a relatively healthy guy, you know what I mean. And then you get into the Marvel era and they make these people look like him, possibly cut, you know, action figure type things, and you hear the actors being like, oh, this is not you can't live life and be this way. You have to eat this insane diet. You have to live this certain way. And it's yeah, it's untenable in real life. It's just you do it for a couple months and it's a nightmare, but you look great on screen.
Speaker 1: Survive on chicken breasts alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and all the amount of calories you have to eat and stuff like that. But anyway, I was noticing, like Pitt in here. I'm like, dude, he is fricking cut yep. But he wasn't in Fight Club too, you know, so this this was like, yeah, peak Pitt yep, you know where he got to do this.
Speaker 1: He's forty here. Wow. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so yes, so he I had the quotes here about I think this is him reflecting about being a little disappointed with Troy, and he said, I had to do Troy because I guess I can say all this now. I pulled out of another movie and then had to do something for the studio, so I was put in Troy. It wasn't painful, but I realized the way that the movie was being told was not how I wanted it to be. I made my own mistakes in it, and.
Speaker 1: He'sai.
Speaker 2: It's no slide on. Wolfgang Peterson Dos Bood is one of the all time great films, but somewhere in it, Troy became a commercial kind of thing. Every shot was like, here's the hero, there's no mystery. And you know, I actually did have that thought even before I read that quote, and I took that quote because it supported my thought, which was what's interesting is.
Speaker 1: Often these movies.
Speaker 2: Gladiator, Brave Heart, whatever, they are epic, and they are action films, but they also have an elegance to them and sort of an artistry. And this one plays a bit more like a blockbuster to me. Yeah, just on a character level, on a even just the way that it shot. And it reminded me because I watched another movie from this era recently called Blood Diamond.
Speaker 1: Oh oh gosh, Yeah, there's your quintessential mid aughts movie.
Speaker 2: Absolutely because and it's about a very serious topic about blood diamonds and you know, people mining them and dying for them and just so the rich can get richer. But what struck me about that movie was the tone treats that story like an action film, whereas now I think there'd be a little bit more gravity to everything going on.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: And so anyway, this reminded me of, oh, this feels like an Aughts epic. It feels a bit more like a blockbuster. And Brad Pitt, I think he that's what he was saying. Here every shot feels like here's the hero. And then, interestingly enough, in a different interview, I saw Orlando Bloom talking about being in this movie and.
Speaker 1: He's he too, was not not thrilled to be in it.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny because he said, I think I just blank Troy out of my brain. By the way, so many people love that movie, but I didn't want to do that movie. I was like, who wanted to be in this movie?
Speaker 1: Brian Cox, He specifically says, I didn't want to be Paris.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, He specifically calls out that moment where he's like hugging his brother's leg, you know, like a coward, and he just he's like, I just can't I don't want to I can't understand this guy. I don't want to play this guy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and he pins it on his his agent. It's like that moment it makes the movie and he's like, oh okay, and here I was, well there, that guy's just calculating his percentage, right.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, wait, this is post Pirates. Right when did Pirates come out?
Speaker 1: This is post Pirates? Yea, two thousand and three was Pirates. Okay, So Orlando Bloom obviously he had his his Lord of the Rings run right from two thousand and one to two thousand and three. He gets he gets Pirates right in the middle. He does this in O four, he does Kingdom of Heaven O five, Kingdom of Heaven. As as you know, I'm a big booster of that film, especially the director's cut, and he's he gives a you know, a solid performance in that and certainly it's like I have qualms because he feels like he's trying to act more grown up in that movie. But you can you can see how like that's what he'd rather be doing than sort of this this this sniveling. Yeah, you know, he's not sniveling, but he's he's weak. Yeah, he's well, I mean he's clearly cowardly. Yeah. Yeah. Now, now, interestingly, like this this comes. You know, I gotta say, if if Dian Krueger just presents herself in that way to you, can you really blame Paris? Well?
Speaker 2: I yeah, they cast well because you can understand why someone would get lost in their decision making, why.
Speaker 1: Somebody would launch a ten year war.
Speaker 2: Yes, Dan Krueger, I mean, she's stunning in this movie. Absolutely, this is this is the.
Speaker 1: Most extreme example of letting your wiener make your decisions to calamitous effect.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, it's funny, that would be a good title. Maybe we can play with that a little bit, you know. I actually I don't even know where to go with that. But I later in the movie, just as things kept happening, I wrote down, like you could call this movie an escalating series of bad decisions.
Speaker 1: No, So what I was saying was, was this arrived in that moment where these I don't know what's the word, weird demitification, you know, like yeah, right, right, right right, like fantastical stories or fantasy stories, and we're sort of we're bringing them down to earth, you know. Oddly enough, very nolan ish in that way, right.
Speaker 2: Which is funny because his version keeps the gods and cyclopses and the things.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, well, that's the paradox about this film, right, is that, like the story of the Battle of Troy and Helen and the Trojan Horse, none of that is real. That did not happen, right. There was a city called Troy and it was sacked at some point, but there was no Achilles, there was no Hector, none of it, right. And so it's a tale, it's a poem that is that's told, and it incorporates gods and things like that because it is a fantasy story. Right. So when you take out the gods and you say no, we're telling the historical versions, like, well, no, you're not, because it's not history, right, right, And so that, like I understand the choice. Uh you know why, you know, because you don't want it to look like Clash of the Titans or something m with you know, Laurence Olivier and various other people in with with bath towels, you know, playing chess with people you don't want to do that. Sure, fine, but so much of of of what is depicted in in the original story, I mean, the events happened because of the machinations and manipulations of the gods that's what causes these Like even even Paris's seduction of Helen was a result of Aphrodite being involved, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, actually I wanted to ask you about that because, like I said, I'm not an expert on these stories, and I've read that this movie may have changed this take like in other takes, Helen does not want to go with Paris, or like she's a prisoner.
Speaker 1: It's it depends on the telling, right, Either either she was seduced by Paris or she was kidnapped by Paris. That really it just depends. But I mean, you know, the even the Iliad, right, the Iliad is not it doesn't depict the whole ten year war. The Iliad depicts like one month in this long conflict. So the film crunches that down. You know, Menelaus is not as belligerent as he's depicted here, you know, I mean that there's more complexity, right, but even still, it's not it's not like it's it's it's not like Helen loved Menelaus either, so room there's room to say, well, she was looking for somebody to love her. But the reason Paris even shows up there is because of Aphrodite putting him on that path. I see right, because because based on previous tellings, how does how does Helen marry Menelaus? You have all these other men vying for her, among them Odysseus, by the way, and essentially they there were there were too many men for her to choose from. And this this is her stepfather who was deciding who would marry her, which was the custom then, And so Odysseus proposes, Okay, I'm going to propose a solution, and and whoever, whoever wins, we all have to agree that we will like we won't, we won't be rivals to him. We will we will defend him. And so they literally drew straws. And that's how Menelaus won. That's how Helen wow. And so by the way, that's why when when the war begins, that's why all these people get brought in because they they took that oath, right right, So this movie adds this geopolitical element to make it more quote unquote realist. I see, I see right. Oh. No, Agamemnon is just using Helen as a pretext because he wants to expand his territory. Yeah, but it was it was really it was just about Helen, you know.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Wow, yeah, very different. Yeah, you know, by the way, just I was looking at them on the boat. Yeah, and this is something we've been talking about recently. This is twenty twenty six for whoever is listening to this later.
Speaker 1: But they're on an actual boat with actual water and actual sun.
Speaker 2: Actual sun. That's what I was gonna say, because you know, the movie, the live action remake of More Juanas coming up this week as we record, and looking at that trailer, you can just see that they're in a room with a fake son, so like none of the lighting makes sense. Both of their faces are shaded, you know, despite the sun being in one position apparently, and it just looks so false, you know, like my brain just is like this is wrong.
Speaker 1: It just looks.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's not dynamic, it doesn't look sunny. It doesn't look like Hawaii or magical or anything. It just looks like something made in a box somewhere. And it's sad to me. And anyway, recently I was actually rewatching John Carter of Mars John Carter, sorry forgive me, John Carter. I was watching John Carter and it has the same problem where there are certain scenes where you're like, yeah, they're out somewhere like Utah or something, I don't know, with the flats and it looks good. But then there are other times they're supposed to be outside on these ships and they're all like shaded yea, you know, and like it doesn't the lighting doesn't make any sense, and you're like, ugh, it's just it's this thing that I feel like we're seeing more and more and maybe people are just accepting it and so they'll they won't change it. And it's just watching this and seeing these people. You don't even have to actually be out on the sea, right, but like be on a boat in a parking lot, fill in some fake water, but get the real sun on these people, and then you'll just just subconsciously you will be that much more invested in what's happening on screen. Yeah, you know, because it feels like they're actually there and in the moment. So anyway, I just had to call that out because it's noticeable and I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, that's what we saw during this this sort of mini era where these epics came back for like a second. They you know, because Gladiator and Brave Heart. You know, again this is pre cgim and so you had to do it for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, and this all you could do. I Gladiator famously, like they extended.
Speaker 1: The car and they did the same thing in this but but but but not like yeah, you weren't you weren't shooting on the volume, you know, right right, And you know, they spent one hundred and eighty five million dollars making this thing. They built a real fricking Trojan wall. Yeah, and it and it shows, I mean, it looks it, you know it. It just it drops us into the reality of the world. And and that kind of very similitude is so important because because to me, what you're describing, like with Mowana, which I haven't seen, but but you can just see from the trailers, right, it's it's it's people standing against a green screen and a bunch of digital stuff added around them. Yeah, and that's just less interesting, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just kills the illusion, whether you realize it or not. Right, you know, I mean this even you know, like looking at them fight among these you know, not ruins but stones or whatever you want to call it, like archways, like it's just the real breeze blowing in their hair.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I just get that. I feel the spirit that they want me to feel here. You know, this guy training and being out outdoors and man, when it just feels so flat and you can tell there's just a fan blowing on them and the lighting is strangely dim for them supposedly being out under the beautiful sun of Hawaii. It's just it's a strange decision that I don't I mean, I do understand. I'm sure the rock didn't want to leave, you know, a ten mile radius of his house or something. You know, that's probably what it was, but you know, I don't know. So Garrett Headland, which I didn't realize.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I just want Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, this guy looks kind of like Brad Pitt, Like I get that they're supposed to be related here, And then I went on IMDb and it's like, oh, dang, I didn't even recognize him.
Speaker 1: Well, he had been in LA for a month when he got this gig. Holy cow, So talk about the luck. Yeah, and he's done, okay, you know, Garrett Headline, he's still working yeah. Yeah. So so one of the differences from the director's cut is there's an earlier scene introducing Sean Bean as Odysseus where you have Agamemnon's emissaries going to Ithaca where he's the king of Ithaca and he's just in the woods, kind of dressed like a regular guy, and they're like, we're looking for for king Odysseus. And he's like Odysseus, that guy. He can't keep his hands off my wife, you know, and and you know he's kind of a trickster ish, you know. And and I actually liked that. I wish they would have kept that in, if only because it allows us to meet you know, because Odysseus ends up as sort of like the narrator of the film, right, and I think we really don't get very much context for who he is in in the in the theatrical cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great introduction.
Speaker 1: I think so. And and it and it also points towards his characterization in the Honesty, right, because that's he's he's very clever mm hmm. You know, it's very funny because Odysseus, Odysseus is like the Fraser of this movie. He's like his stuff is coming later, right, right, right, that's here. He's most like, oh, forgot's sake, Achilles, that's good. Yeah, but Sean Bean is so good in this. Yeah, I love Sean Bean. I think Sean Bean was really driven by two goals, uh, to not be the secret bad guy and to not die like that. I was shocked that he survived. Well canonically, you know, he's got to make it out.
Speaker 2: Of that, I guess, But yeah, I know it's it's I don't know, muscle memory. If I see him on screen, I got to prepare to mourn him eventually.
Speaker 1: See I I wonder if, like when when they offered him Game of Thrones with Ned Stark, He's like, oh, this is great, and then he gets to scenes family. God, damn it, son of a bitch. Yeah, I gotta say.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not able to really clock the details of what's changed here, but I can sense that it is moving at a faster clip for sure. Sure, I would say the director's cut, which I did appreciate watching because like, to your point, we do get extra sort of character moments. I mean, I notice we get a longer a second moment between Hector and Paris after he visits with after Paris visits with Helen, and Hector says something about, like, dude, if you was he say something about like if you put like our people or something in peril, like I'll rip that pretty face of yours off or something. I was like, ooh damn. Yeah, like that's older brother talk right there, which we didn't get here. So it's but it's moving a little quicker. I did write down director's cut leisurely. Yeah, so you know, but if you're interested and you're invested, it's nice to have those extra things. But I could see why this is the theatric.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think collectively those additions do add up, because because by and large, by the time those three hours and fifteen minutes were done, I didn't feel like I had spent that much more time, you know, like it it added up in a way that I appreciated. Yeah, the little bits and bobs, especially later, like we get much more the relationship with Brsis and Achilles and stuff. I think I think all of that collectively worked for me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess it just sort of depends what you want out of it, Like if you want to watch like a two thousand and four epic and have some fun in an evening, like I could see the theatrical cut so far from what I can tell, like doing the trick and yeah, moving a little bit with a little more urgency or something. But if you're really interested and want to spend more time exist in this world, I don't think the director's cut has scenes where you're.
Speaker 1: Like, why is this in here? Yeah? There there's that Odysseus scene and then a scene at Apollo's temple that I like both of those editions actually real quick before we move on, I wanted to mention Julie Christy as as that is Achilles' mom. Now now in the mythology, thatis is a sea goddess. Okay, right, so Achilles is a demi god. Oh interesting, half man, half god, and so he has supernatural power.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, that makes a lot of sense why he's such a effective killer.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. And and so the movie what what what I find kind of interesting is that the movie it doesn't say definitively he that that's not true. When we see thatis she's in water, So there's at least room for that, right, And I and I think that's very interesting, right, like it it's it's telling the story and and the god's impact did insofar as you have people doing things based on what they think the gods want, right, So there's room for you to you know, you can say, well, is Achilles supernatural or not? Right Achilles? You know, his his weakness was was his heel because that was when he was dipped in the magic water. That was the only area that was uncovered m or where he was held from as a baby. Right now, when when he is injured at the end, it happens to be in his heel. I mean you know what I mean, Like they leave like the wiggle room.
Speaker 2: Well, I love that he gets all these arrows everywhere else, but he pulls them all out exactly and the only one left is in the heel. So if someone were to discover his body and tell the tail create the legend.
Speaker 1: I guess his heel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was like, that's brilliant.
Speaker 1: I like that. So Peter O'Toole is our second Peter O'Toole commentary in the span of a month. Yeah, yeah, we've ground from zero to two O'Toole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, who apparently did not have a great time.
Speaker 1: Here's this movie. So Peter O'Toole. What I've learned based on this and Supergirl is my man shows up, Yeah, because you know what, he's good in this totally yeah right, yeah, I mean, you know, he he knows the assignment, you know. I think I think for a lot of it it comes down to the fact that he's Peter fing O'Toole. Right. It doesn't really need to do much. But he has a scene with with Achilles in the tent. It's a terrific I mean, it's just agit. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe my favorite scene that that whole moment, even and outside the tent after that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now he did not suffer Wolfgang Peterson gladly.
Speaker 2: Now what is that about? I mean, what is Wolfgang Peterson like? Do you know what it was? Specifically?
Speaker 1: I have no idea because because Brad Pitt was like I got along fine with Kank Peterson, you know, so I think it's just just the chemistry was off, you know. Interesting.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's something about these this generation of actors where they're just inherently interesting, you know what I mean, Like they could just say these lines in act regal, but they have like a little twinkle in their eye. Or they add just like a little little just something, a little affectation so effortlessly that makes them you know, that's why we're.
Speaker 1: Like, well, that's that's why he's Peter O'Toole. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he's not holding it back here, he's going, yeah, he's doing it. He's he's not just reading off the page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he like we said, I mean, he he was not a fan of the film. At the premiere, he walked out after fifteen minutes. Interesting. I saw like a junk Ket interview with him about this movie, and oh my god, I felt such like secondhand cringe watching this interviewer. So did this like remind you of Florence of Arabia? And I mean you can tell he's being very polite. He's like, I don't really see how it's like Laurence, you know, and you're like, oh god, why was you asking that?
Speaker 2: You know what, though, that's very classy of him. Yeah, like, you know, I'm not seeing the connection, Like he's not he's not b sing the guy, but he's you know, but he's being polite about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was rough. That is rough though. Actually I saw speaking of Junket cringe, I saw another one this is this is the video was how not to begin a celebrity interview, So right, naturally, I'm like, well, obviously have to c yeah, and it's it's an interview with John Cuzak. And and forgive me, I don't remember the name of the movie, but the but the young lady who's interviewing him, she's like, you know, it's funny. I'm actually skipping class to to be here to interview you and my class, you know, they're watching American Beauty. Isn't that funny? And he's like, why is that funny? Because you're in it. He's like, no, no, I'm not. Are you sure, like nope, nope, not in it? Really, And she did this like four times, and right, I can I can feel you cringing.
Speaker 2: I know, or I'm like just say oh my bad, you know, or like like don't don't insist that he's wrong about his own film.
Speaker 1: About his own movie. So obviously she thought he's Kevin Spacey, you know, oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, by the way, I can imagine myself in a scenario like that where you've been there, you you become untethered, yeah, and you're just like swimming trying to get back to land, like I I know that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I it's I feel such I feel so bad for that person. You know.
Speaker 2: Actually I was going to ask, even before you started the story, watching things like that, do you get like a secondhand PTSD years, I get.
Speaker 1: Like so twitchy? Yeah, absolutely, yeah, you know, yeah, it's funny. I can't like that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when I watch shows about the industry and I see characters that are like people that I know, or like jobs that I've been in orbit around, or writers getting crazy notes or things, and I'm like, I like this because I'm interested in this world, but this is making me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, anyway, so we should talk about Helen among the people now. Originally Wolfgang Peterson his idea was we just won't even show Helen, and.
Speaker 2: That was because he wasn't sure he could cast someone as captivating as Helen required.
Speaker 1: To be because she's supposed to be so beautiful, right right, And Warner Brothers is like, well, no, you're casting Helen. That's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be funny if she was, like I'm sure, what's a movie like that where like maybe there's a character that's always reference But we only see them in shadows or off screen. I feel like I'm thinking of something, but I can't. Yeah, come up with the r but anyway, that would be interesting if she, Yeah, she was. I guess this is the only thing I can think of. Is g this and been her or something where it's like we all know who he is, but we don't see him, but he affects you know, you just see people looking up at him. Yeah, yeah, people react, yeah yeah, which would be crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cooler heads prevailed. They were talking about Catherine Zida Jones. I think Hallie Barry was in the mix.
Speaker 2: Okay, she'd be like the suitcase from Pulp Fiction, where there's like a glow on everyone when she walks into a room where people look look at her. Yeah anyway, sorry.
Speaker 1: Yes, But instead they went Dian Krueger. First movie. I didn't know that. Wow, okay, first American movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, because she's German, right.
Speaker 1: Correct, and she's she's great in this. I really liked her. I think, so, yeah, yeah, you know, she gets some It's it's interesting, right because like you know, it's it's easy to be like, well, you know, like on one level, you're like, well, Helen, you kind of started all this, you know, you know, but it's her in Paris both.
Speaker 2: I was gonna, well, I don't know what this is about me, but I was just blaming Paris the whole time.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, look, they're both in it together.
Speaker 2: She didn't have to go, but yeah, you're right, it's they're in it together.
Speaker 1: Now, we have not talked about Eric Banna at all, which is a crime. Yeah, yeah, he is so good in this movie.
Speaker 2: He's like, I mean, just even looking at him smile right there, like, yeah, he just has this inherent like I don't know, goodness or something like. He shines through as a guy with integrity and warmth.
Speaker 1: See. This is one of my clearest memories of watching this for the first time. Is I mean, if you know the story, you know, well, Hector dies fighting Achilles. That's like the most famous part of the story. And I didn't expect to love Hector so much, to just be like, like when when that moment comes in the lead up to his final face off with him, where you're like, you know what's going to happen yep, And it's just absolutely hard.
Speaker 2: I was anguished, honestly, Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was. It was yeah, knowing what's going to happen, it's hard to watch, and just even the circumstances of it, I'm like, it was a misunderstanding.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing, right, Like he he is he he's like the only one who does all the right stuff, right, He's he's he doesn't want to be fighting this war, but he this is his nation. He has to protect his nation, He has to protect his family. You know, he has to face Achilles because you know that's what Honor demands, you know.
Speaker 2: His dumbass little brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly right. You know. Eric Banna was ecstatic about playing Hector. Yeah, you know, he met with with Wolf King Peterson and he's like, oh, do you want to be a Hector Achilles? Like, no, I want to be Hector? Are you kidding? And and Peterson said, oh, good, because because Brad wants to play Achilles, you know, perfect. Yeah, He's like, okay, let him do that, you know. And and I think the reason uh Banna works in this role is that it's almost the opposite of Brad. Brad Pitt looks like he's he's sculpted out of marble. Eric Banna just looks like a guy, you know, he's he's he's a fit, regular guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looks like he can fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you can kick your ass. But it looks like yes, like like like he looks like a bloke, you know, totally yes, yes, yes, head yeah, and and I think that's what drew Eric Banna to to this part. Now I should mention, Brian, You've had several entanglements with several of the cast members from.
Speaker 2: This film now that I think about it. Strangely, within just about a year, I would, yeah, brush shoulders with Orlando and Helen and and Helen Yeah, and uh and Orlando Bloom. Also the so the a year after this movie came out, I was working on the movie Mister Missus Smith. Of course Brad Pitt's on that, and he's a cool guy. He like interacts with me a little bit more than a big star of that movie, you know, needs to, because he seemed like a dude. And they were filming Elizabethtown there. Wow, So I saw Kirsten Dunston, Orlando Bloom, and Cameron Crowe. Cameron Crowe gave me a really warm hey, how's it going in a hallway?
Speaker 1: And it was just like that was it?
Speaker 2: Like it sounds like a silly little story, but for me, I was like, wow, that was like really And then after mister Missus Smith, I went on to this movie called Lucky You, and I was about to just say the title, but I realized I have to explain it because no one's seen it. It's it's a poker movie that Curtis Hansen wrote and directed Churs Hanson of La Confidential, Late Gat Late Great, Great Guy, Great Guy. I was just a PA on that movie, and he went out of his way to invite me to screenings, Like personally, he'd be like, hey, we're having a screening. We're doing pizza, Like you should come, nice guy, And like why is Eric Banna probably the nicest celebrity I worked with in my movie days.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Just to tell a real brief personal anecdote. So he's from Australia and he had to live in this apartment complex in La while he was shooting Lucky You, and so was he and his family moving in and they wanted the production wanted me to help move him in, you know, like, hey, this is your place, this is where the office is. If you want to call for food, these are good restaurants in the area, that kind of thing, and I was like, I don't know any of this stuff, so anyway, I could tell much longer version of this. But I went over there. They were so warm and friendly. I showed him around, we hung out for a little bit, and for the rest of the shoot, he was always like, hey, Brian, Like, how's it going, Brian, And then like when he'd be in a cart with his family around the lot, he'd be like, Hey, there's Brian. Wave it Brian, you know, and then he'd be like, how you doing, what's going on? Like genuinely kind and interested in me? And so I never forgot that he and Eugene Levy probably two of the nicest.
Speaker 1: People I met. I love that. Yep.
Speaker 2: So I've really I love him and I've been endeared to him ever since, and I think I bring that with me when I watch him in movies, like, yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: A good guy. He's a good dude. Which is funny, by the way, just talking about we just talked past that line that you thought was, oh, yes, Brad Pitt says, take it, it's yours, It's yours.
Speaker 2: I remembered that from the trailer, but I like, if you had said that quote, I'd be like, oh, yeah, that's from like a like an action movie. But I wouldn't have remembered what it was till I rewatched this.
Speaker 1: There you go, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna say real quick with Eric Bannon, we keep talking about his warmth and everything, but it's funny the way he sort of broke out. He was a comedian first in Australia on like sketch comedy stuff like he was known as like the Australian Jim Carrey, which is still hard for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, he followed kind of a Michael Keaton trajectory, you know, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, and then he was in this movie called Chopper, which, strangely enough, he played this really crazy violent character. That's right, right, So that's what's funny is that role with like the shaved head and this aggression and everything is what basically got a bunch of people to cast him in American movies where he never really played that type again.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, well he so he had Hulk and three, uh huh, he had this and O four and then and then he had Munich and five. Yeah what a run man, you know. So so he works with with with ang Lee, with Peterson, with Spielberg. Oh, and he's so good in Munich, by the way, I got to rewatch that man. He's fantastic.
Speaker 2: And I remember delivering him the script for Munich. They gave it to me in an envelope and to me this was like, this is a Steven Spielberg's next movie. I'm holding it in my hands speaking of the suitcase from Pulp Fiction and a glow on my face. I remember being like wow, and I got to hand it over to ban Aya.
Speaker 1: So so this sequence here where where Achilles and the and the Mermaidens they they make landfall. So what is cut out is where they take over an Apollonian temple.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not in this version. Yeah, oh that seems very important. Yeah, I mean, especially for the Rose Byrn character.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the fact that what you have is is Achilles' people are like, you know, this is a temple of Apollo. We don't want to upset Apollo. And then he beheads the statue of Apollo and says, I don't see him doing anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's a priestess.
Speaker 1: She's a priestess there. Yeah, so that's fascinating. I didn't even notice that. Okay, Tyler Mayne, by the way, as Ajax, he was sabertoothed. And oh tax Man Movie, by the way, Brendan Gleeson, Great, there's a guy. There's a type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just certain people that feel effortless. Yeah, and they just feel like a fully dimensional, interesting person, you know, no matter who they're playing in Brendan Gleeson, good lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, first time I saw him was was Braveheart yep, which you know, I'm sure was the same for you. And and you realize, like Brave Heart was you know, you had Brian Cox and Brandon Gleeson. They're in Braveheart. Oh wow, yeah, I forget about it.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched it in a really long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Orlando Bloom and Brandon Gleeson, they're in Kingdom of Heaven. All these like overlaps between these epics. Interesting. I love I love Achilles, like jump slash thing that he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got like a special move.
Speaker 1: It's like his it's like his rock Bottom. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, yeah, a good character. It's like you gotta you unlock this move and then he's unstoppable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so this sequence got trimmed down in the in the director.
Speaker 2: You know, I gotta admit, when I was watching the director's cut, I did have to split it up over two nights, and that was my fault. I started it a little too late and it's over three hours. But I did think like, okay, this is there's nothing wrong with this, and I am enjoying it. But I could see where you could maybe take some things out and I might not notice, but now that you're mentioning the things that are missing, I'm like, well, but not that right, you know.
Speaker 1: See I think just I think just seeing big crowds, oh man, horses and stuff, and you know, I think that that's uh, that's rare.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so impressive. I actually the moment where everyone's Hector, Paris and Helen are arriving in Troy, and it's just you see, the streets are lined with people and there's pedals floating down and horses and grandeur. And I was thinking that earlier, like wow, this is just so I stand correct at that. Oh there we go, Apollo. Don't worry if you want to see Apolo get beheaded. If you're not, if you're coming for that. You're getting it no matter which cut you're watching. But no, I'm with you. I mean, I know, like even just this, a shot like this, like a hundred horses galloping over the sand. It just looks so impressive. And that's one of the shots I think of because people don't do that as much these days, or they do trickery that just kind of in the back of your brain, you know, it's not quite you know, there's trickery happening, which I can understand for budgets sake sometimes obviously. Yeah, but I think of the dark Knight rises when you have the cops and bains henchmen in the street and there's just hundreds, hundreds of people standing there in costumes, charging at one another, and you're like, wow, that Christopher Nolan is one of the few people now who can be like, no, it won't work unless we have hundreds of people in costumes charging at one another, right, And you're just like, well, thank God for that guy. At least he's still. And that's why I'm really looking forward to The Odyssey, whether or not I even like it as a film. I haven't seen it yet. I know I'm going to witness something that not a lot of filmmakers are able to pull off in twenty twenty six scope scale this, you.
Speaker 1: Know, going back to what we were talking about earlier, right, like, so Nolan is getting lined up to do this, He's getting excited, and then and then they're like, hey, sorry bro, yeah, and is he like Man mother effort? You know, yeah, fine, but you can do Batman all right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? You know, And and it's just like, could he you know what I mean, at that moment, could he have imagined how this door that was closing was the best possible thing that he could ever have imagined?
Speaker 2: Probably not, right, because we never can, right, And he gets to make his odyssey the way that he I'm sure it would have been compromised in some ways for him in that moment. But now who's going to tell him no? You know, he gets to shoot. I think this is the first film entirely shot with Imax cameras, a dream he said he's had since he was sixteen years old.
Speaker 1: Amazing, and just.
Speaker 2: Having to wait a little bit longer allowed him to do that.
Speaker 1: See. Now this sequence here is very interesting, right because so this is our first confrontation between Achilles and Hector, and what you realize is that they're ideologically very similar, right, Like we so we saw we saw Hector, excuse me, we saw Achilles behead the statue and he's like, I don't see Apollo here, right, And we see something very similar from a from Hector later where the priests are like, oh, the gods are saying this, and he's like, you know, you're talking about what birds are doing and this and that. Right. So in other words, they have this like the characters I should say, expressing like this vaguely atheistic worldview, right, but I would say it's a humanistic worldview, and that's at odds with the armies that they represent. Yes, yeah, right, So ideologically they're very similar, right. And you know that's when when after when, when when Achilles is giving the body back, he says, you know, we'll meet again, brother, Like I that spoke to me, you know.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, they they they have a respect for one another, an understanding of one another, And yeah, I agree. That made that very moving at the end, even though I was furious exactly Achilles killing him, but like, yeah, there is a code or something.
Speaker 1: Well like right here right where he's like, uh, you know, why are you letting him go? Yeah, and I love Achilles. It's it's too early in the day to be killing princes. Yeah, but it's just because he respects him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know, I I read somewhere I don't know if this is true, so I'm going to preface that, but that in the trailer there was more ships in the sea, and then people were like, that doesn't even make sense, Like ships couldn't operate like that, So they scaled back the ships in the although looking here, I'm like, that's a lot of ships.
Speaker 1: It is a lot of ships. Well, I remember maybe it was referring to the earlier shot where you see it's just the sea and you see a sea full of ships coming towards Troy.
Speaker 2: That's true because here they've pretty much landed.
Speaker 1: They've landed. Yeah, yeah, man, just so much effort back then, I mean, you know, I mean obviously they used computers to fill in a lot of this, but again, it was like the technology wasn't yet there where you could just you could just lean on the computers to do most of it, and so you needed extras. You needed you know, you need to go to other countries and you.
Speaker 2: Know, mm hmm, I know this would I don't even know what this, you know, just the structure that they're putting up on the beach here. It's just some production designer and had to look at look at all this.
Speaker 1: It looks so.
Speaker 2: Lived in and really like you could walk through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, they were supposed to shoot in Morocco, and then the Gulf War broke out. Mmm remember that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, go War two? Yeah, and so they shot it in Mexico, so they had to basically just up and take everything across the way. Wow, man, I mean it it look I mean, Brad Pitt got his seventeen million, so I'm going fine, but I mean he definitely he put his body through it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I guess this at the time was the most expensive R rated movie ever made.
Speaker 1: I think, oh wow at the time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I guess if you're building all this stuff and moving it from country to country, it adds up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the other thing is that it topped out at just under five hundred million, And it occurred to me, I'm like, remember when that was Okay, that was a hit, right right right, Like I feel like the metrics for success are so upside down now, Yeah, that either you spend nothing or you make everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah rose byrne By the way, I had forgotten she was in this.
Speaker 1: I love her. Yeah, well it you know, initially they were talking to Kien Nightly, who was like eighteen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was having a funny moment, wasn't she Like she was blowing up. But she was a lot younger than I think people realized. I mean when you watch Love actually, you know, like a funny little trivia thing is that Liam Neeson's son, the actor who plays his son in that movie, is only five years younger than keer Knightley in that movie, and he looks like like an eight year old.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one of those things where he's one of those actors that looks younger than he really is. But she was seventeen in that movie playing you know this like quote unquote adult like getting married and it's pretty messed up, and she's yeah, it's kind of kind of crazy. I mean, she looked as far as I could tell, at least when the movie came out, because I was around her age or something. I don't know, like I didn't think about it, but now you think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it was certainly pairing her with forty year old Brad Pitt was gross. Yes, right.
Speaker 2: I actually I wasn't even thinking about her in this movie, yeah, just I was thinking that her style might not fit this, Like she does really well in Pirates, right, Like she's perfect for that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the sort of.
Speaker 2: I don't know, tragic figure here that Burne is playing, I think she does it well. Well.
Speaker 1: Rose burn got the bit, It got the gig off of Eric Banner's recommendation. Yeah, fellow ausy, I guess it pays to have friends, right, Yeah, because you talk about a career that has never stopped.
Speaker 2: I know, and it's been very varied, right. I mean that's the thing I'd forgotten about her in this. But then the thing I think I first remembered her from was Get Him to the Greek.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, okay, see I haven't even seen that.
Speaker 2: Because she plays this sort of like pop star in it, and she's really funny and kind of, you know, not ditzy, but you know, goofy, and so I was like, oh, she's really hilarious. And then of course Bride'smaids and all these sorts of things and then now she's on that show Platonic Oh right right, it was seth Rogen and that is a.
Speaker 1: Real showcase for her because she gets to do it all.
Speaker 2: She gets to be funny, she gets to be hurt, sad, angry, and you're like, wow, she she can do anything, you know. And then of course you know she got to do if I had legs, I'd.
Speaker 1: Kick you, and was getting all that awards recognition for a nomination for the drama you know. Yeah, she's amazing career. See. I love the the fact that Achilles is, you know, he he has to fight on behalf of Agamemnon, and yet he carries that contempt like Agamemnon is nothing without me, mm hmm. And I just think it makes for such an interesting dynamic because you you you know, I love when when you have a scene like this right where the violence is in the words you know, and in the performance. The only the only downside to me is you almost wish there was a payoff where where Agamemnon gets his up and from Achilles.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, if you could change the story a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, now, interestingly, both Agamemnon and menilaeis they survive the events of this story, right that, like, like this is the thing. I mean that they the Hollywood, you know, feels compelled to create a happy ending. But I mean, Troy is sacked, the city falls, everyone dies, Yeah, Helen is returned to Troy, and at least in so far as the Trojan War, Agamemnon and Menilais are victorious, that doesn't really make for a compelling story.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because I guess the director's cut the sacking of Troy is extra. Oh my gosh, it's it's horrific. It's it's horrifying. Yeah, yeah, like babies being thrown and stuff. And I was like, and I was looking at the time.
Speaker 1: Wait, but women being assaulted.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I saw that this was basically the end of the film, and I was like, ah, but I feel terrible, Like is this.
Speaker 1: Really is how this is gonna end? But yeah, well, and and you know this is this is part of you know. I like by the way he calls him a sack of wine, it's just such a such a great insult sec of wine. I think that when when you look at the events of the Odyssey, at least part of it is Poseidon wanting vengeance on you know, the people who did that to Troy, right, Like see that that's the interesting thing, right when we take the when we take the gods out of it. You know, you can almost make this work, right, this story, but you can't make the Odyssey work at all, right, because the Odyssey is a pure fantasy story. Yeah, So this is where Brian Cox kept talking about, like, man, Brad just came out and you know, the sack of Wine.
Speaker 2: It was interesting Brad pitt. I was reading that this was his fourth highest grossing film worldwide, and so I was looking at what those movies were and it's this f one World War Z and Mister and Missus Smith, which I was like, that's so interesting because he's one of the most famous people in the world, but he doesn't necessarily have these like hugely profitable hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, I don't there's a little bit of construction happening next door to me. I don't know if that's bleeding through into this. I apologize, and just a little explanation for any weird sounds happening around me. You know, it sounds like it sounds like when Sam Neil's trying to do that call to the dinosaurs when he's in the tree tops. So if anyone's hearing it, apologies anyway, Sorry, go ahead, Zechi.
Speaker 1: What was I saying? Oh? Yeah. With Brad Pitt, I feel like he had a moment upon making this movie be similar to George Clooney after Batman and Robin, where it's like, you know, I don't need to make these movies. I'm good, Like, I'm just gonna make stuff that is interesting to me.
Speaker 2: I know I can get the things I'm interested and made.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And well you see that in you know, for example, something like The Big Short where he has a secondary role and it's it's not flashy, but it's it's a fun character part. And you can tell that that's much more where his muse lies, you know, totally. Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: Oh Paris, it is like infuriating watching this room full of men decide how many It's like, well, I guess we can let hundreds of people die.
Speaker 1: Well when Paris stands and he's like, fine, I'll challenge menlause. On one hand, you're like, well, you freaking idiot, right right, right right, that's the one honorable thing you've done in this whole movie. But you're such a affing moron because because I mean, just just look at Menilouse. He'll obliterate him, right, I mean, you know, the battles ending before it even starts, you know, right, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, no, that's a good point. At least he's attempting to do something honorable, just something I had read, speaking of taking the.
Speaker 1: Gods out of the story.
Speaker 2: They approached Terry Gilliam to direct this at some point, which I can kind of see, and he was like, I don't understand how you even do this story without the gods in it, and so he just immediately turned it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, like, I mean, I think he's right, and that also suits his storytelling. He's more whimsical, we e Zach roach. Yeah, it's interesting because I was gonna say, I mean, it's not like Wolfgang Peterson has not done fantasy. He did the Never Ending Story, that's true, right, So certainly that was in his tool chest, but I think by and large he was better known for stuff that is a bit more grounded. He I mean, we've ended up doing many Wolfgang Peterson films, right, just sort of by chance. Yeah. Yeah, in the Line of Fire, Air Force one Outbreak now, Troy, Yeah, we got to do Doss Boot at some point.
Speaker 2: I've never seen dos Boot, and that's the thing everyone always brings up with him.
Speaker 1: That's a good movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did see Enemy Mine not long ago. I talked about it here on the show, and I really loved it.
Speaker 1: That's a good movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk about like yes, like how you mentioned his toolbox and it's just like it's all over the place. But Enemy Mine feels like a real combination of all of it. A little bit of fantasy, a little bit of heart, a little bit of space, a little.
Speaker 1: A music venture, very similitude, right, definitely. Yeah, So I think that's what really sells it.
Speaker 2: And something that I've always found interesting about the never Ending Story, which I loved as a kid, is the fact that it he made it, and when they decided to release it in America, apparently Steven Spielberg put his hands on it and retooled it a little bit to make it more palatable to American audiences. So which makes me wonder what the original version was like.
Speaker 1: In the original version, the horse takes thirty seven minutes to die. Yeah, right, it's just our text art texts just.
Speaker 2: Like, which were people who don't know what Zach He's talking about children of the eighties. That is like one of the major cultural traumas for us, that horse dying in the swamp of sadness art texts.
Speaker 1: It's it's just thirty seven minutes of that text.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Spielberg's just like shaking, he said no, and Peters is like, what, It's great though, So.
Speaker 1: I wanted to mention Saffron Burrows as Andrew Macky. She she gives that character such like sadness, and and for me, like, I think, I think one of the smarter choices is we see so much of the battle between Hector and Achilles playoff of her, you know. And this is where again it's like yeah, right, like I mean just the the realization of what's happening, you know, yep. But I mean, like, by and large, I think I think the female characters are well served in this film. I was thinking about that. I was like, presais Helen, and Andrew Macky, They're all good characters. They're not just arm candy or eye candy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm also it makes me appreciate their performances. Two, just seeing how much these these actors bring to them and make them feel like dimensional characters, and they're all good actors, right, yes, yeah, Dan Krueger, of course, you know I think of her. When I think of her, I think of inglorious bastards. Yes, how amazing she is in that?
Speaker 1: Did you mention how you encountered her? Uh no, I'm trying to remember. Actually, I'm sort of blinking. Do you remember. Yeah, well it was with regards to was it called Shutter?
Speaker 2: Oh that was Rachel Taylor?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, sorry. Wasn't there a movie you're involved in the Joshua Jackson?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh oh oh, yes, which okay, I'm sorry. Yes, he worked on Shutter, and I may I did actually have to go into his house while no one was there, yeah, which is very weird and so and I was like out of gas and they lived on the top.
Speaker 1: I remember you telling me you saw Dan Krueger like in real life, and just she was just stunningly beautiful.
Speaker 2: I must have lived a very charming life, because I'm having a hard time. I believe it, and I'm just having a hard time remembering it. But yes, I did encounter him a couple of times, and he may.
Speaker 1: She may have been with him. They were dating at the time, yes, yes, but yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 2: The story I always think of is I was out of gas up at their house and then I saw a gas cannon. I was hoping they weren't any cameras, and I went and I took his gas and took the car. I was like, I gotta get home.
Speaker 1: Man. Would be funny, is if there's a whole separate story about how Joshua Jackson needed gas founding on that gas, Like there's a whole ordeal he went through that you have no idea about. He almost played Bruce Wayne and Batman begins, but he didn't make it to the audition because he's like.
Speaker 2: Diane, I swear I filled this thing with gas.
Speaker 1: His car is going up the hill and then it just rolls backwards in a.
Speaker 2: And it rolls right to like a cop who's like, you know, it gives him a ticket, you know, like you're allowed to go backwards here, you know, like just a series of unfortunate events. Joshua Jackson's no good, very bad day and that night on.
Speaker 1: The news, so Christian Bale has signed on to play back and in lighter News, Joshua Jackson keeps going backwards in the wrong and you're just watching that eating a burger. You have no idea, like the I just flipped the channel. I don't even listen to the rest of the story. You mute. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: He's a nice guy too, though, by the way, Joshua Jackson, Yeah, very friendly.
Speaker 1: See he seems like a cool guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean for starting as a child actor. You know, sometimes those people can get a little uh you know, they even had bad experiences the supply exactly, like, yeah, they're either bad experiences or yes, they don't live in the real world, so to speak. And yeah, he's a very charming, nice guy.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that for him, And this is important in our Troy commentary talking about Joshua Jackson. But yeah, sorry, yeah, yeah, I think I think he's seen enough ups and downs during this long career and the fact, right, I think the fact that he's kept working is proof enough that he's probably a pretty chill guy, you know what I mean, totally because at some point people don't need to give you work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right, that's a good point again, man, the power of being actually outside.
Speaker 1: Look at them on this balcony here, it's fantastic, you know.
Speaker 2: And the drama. Yeah, you know, like I really sense her being up high looking down on all of this. You know, men are about to be slaughtered because of her, right, Yeah, And I just think that really it's not to keep picking on it, but just that flat lighting and the Maana trailer I'm seeing where they just feel but here look at them with the harsh light on their faces, like the wind blowing their hair, and it's like this real ominous right feeling of what's what's ahead. It just adds that extra touch, you know, it's that's actually a sweet moment there Helen looking at Paris, you know, and yeah, sort of.
Speaker 1: And she gives them This is the problem is that we need to buy that she loves him, yes, for real? Right, And I don't know that the movie ever fully licks that, like, yeah, you know, it feels like, well, that's what sort of the story requires. Yeah, you know, I wonder if maybe making him not so much of a pussy would have been helpful in that way, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, or some scene with them together where we really get a sense that this is.
Speaker 1: For real, Well, we do get that in the in the director's cut. I would say, like, we believe that he does love her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. I do believe it. Yeah, but I yeah, I I don't know. I wouldn't. It's tough, I think fundamentally, the I mean, there's a reason that generally speaking, you watch this movie and you're like frea com Paris.
Speaker 2: You know, I know, yeah, yeah, but maybe that's important. Yeah, because this is stupid, you know what I mean, this shouldn't be happening.
Speaker 1: Well again, I just love that Eric Banacoti so well. I knew I didn't want to play Paris for sure. I was not gonna do it. Yeah, yeah, that's very funny.
Speaker 2: But I like that moment where she's kind of standing there on the balcony like, oh man, oh like I caused this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then Peter O'Toole is like sit with me. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like, wow, that is very warm. She's family now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The fact that King Priam never once expresses anger at her, for yes, you know, uh, you know, certainly after what happens to Hector, you know.
Speaker 2: Tells you a lot about him. And then I love that shot too with the army approaching, and then you get that slow push in on Peter O'Toole with a whoa, okay, you know sort of yeah, wide eyed, this is this is not good.
Speaker 1: It's kind of look on his face.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean it's almost like comical, just like ah, but like it, but it works, I think, yeah, No, you're right, you know, I gotta say too.
Speaker 1: I mean we.
Speaker 2: Sometimes get down on CG stuff from time to time, but like, obviously all those people aren't there, right, I think it's really effective. I think they knew how many real people to put there to make my brain believe it, and then where to start the extensions and make it feel like a crazy, massive crowd.
Speaker 1: A really great job. Well, I think, right, like this is very much the Lord of the Rings totally approach, right where, totally where. I think the reason those films have held up pretty well is because Peter Jackson knew when to rely on actual physical people or sets and whatnot, and then when to extend it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what you said earlier with this movie, like building real walls when that will sell the scene, and there are certain walls you don't need to build.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, valiant, ill advised, but valiant. Yeah. Brian Cox making a meal of this movie, you know, yeah, kind of makes me.
Speaker 2: I've not seen Succession, but I just feel like it'd be fun to watch him coxing it up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well my brother loves that show. Yeah, you know, I've been. I watched the first episode or so or so, and I did like it, but I was like, God, these people are vile.
Speaker 2: That's what's kept me from it. I thought I might just get so I clench my fist when I watch shows like that with awful people being awful, and I thought I might not be able to enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That so it is one of those shows I do want to watch at some point. Yeah. I think it's hilarious. How many times Brian Cox just takes the piss out of Jeremy Strong. Oh sure, sure, for being like, you know, a character actor's character actor like method, you know, yeah yeah yeah, and he's like, come on, dude, to show up and do the lines, you know, right, right right, Like that's very Olivier. Right. Famously, when uh, when they were making Marathon Man Dennis Dustin Hoffman and Lawrence Olivier and and Hoffman. This is this is a story which is maybe apocryphal, but Haffin's like, you know, his character is ragged and and and gone without sleep. So for three days he didn't sleep and he's just you know, so exhausted in order to play the role. And Olivia is like, well, if you tried just acting right right? Yeah, I think, you know, I think I think. I mean, you have this this class of like English actors who that's you know, their stage bred, you know, so it's kind of like you just you just you perform it and then when it's done, you could you switch it off, you know, right, And that's that's very different from from the method. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do like that basically.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He's like, well, we're gonna we're gonna do this anyway, you know, We're going to take them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I think this is interesting, right because because in in the in the poem, ah Aphrodite intervenes and saves Paris.
Speaker 2: Oh right, wow, okay, I didn't realize that there are like major changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so Aphrodite saves Paris. At that point, Helen realizes maybe she doesn't like Paris so much. M hmmm, because so Aphrodite has has taken on a protective role when it comes to Paris, and so uh that you remove her from the from the story, and so that changes the dynamics of how things go. So so again, Menelaus doesn't die in the in the story, but in this you have Hector intervene in Menolause. It's just you know, it's again, it's like you move one piece and then everything else changes, you know. Interesting. Yeah, m.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think about David Benioff, you know, this kind of leading him into this sort.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, I don't know if you want to call it medieval, but like Swords and Armor world, because that means the Game of Thrones is what like twenty twenty eleven something like that, Right, you're exactly right. Yeah, it was twenty eleven, so I mean, gosh, less than ten years later. You know.
Speaker 2: Wow, how I didn't know he wrote twenty fifth Hour. I'm looking at his stuff now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that either. Actually, what else X Men Origins Wolverine?
Speaker 2: I'd stay, Holy crap, that's literally the first movie I ever worked on. Wow, which nobody knows. There you go, Yeah, that's Ryan Gosling and Naomi Watts. You McGregor, Mark Forster directed nobody movie.
Speaker 1: Somehow the movie Troy represents like the nexus of all of the various interactions you've had in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Strangely does it's kind of.
Speaker 1: This shot right here, look at that. That's just a great POV. You you you put the the the helmet slightly in frame so it looks like you know, I mean, it's it's just it's simple. You just you have a little bit of the nose guard in front of the camera. You have you have mental house hitting the camera. It's just great. It's just a clever little, you know, uh way of putting us in in the moment. You know.
Speaker 2: You know, I I gotta gotta say, like, as I was watching it and I was the longer version, I was thinking, like, this is a good movie, but I don't know that it's like a super dynamically directed movie. Yeah, like a little bit more straightforward, you know, like a great TV series, Yeah than something like a Gladiator or whatever. However, this fight, yes, just showing pairs being dominated like this guy, like yes, put us directly into Paris's POV and seeing this huge, hulking guy.
Speaker 1: Just wep West obliterating.
Speaker 2: Him, like yeah, it's it really made me feel like how like terrified I would be and like outmatched.
Speaker 1: So a couple points. First of all, he took that gash on the leg, he should be one hundred percent dead very shortly after. Yeah, this fight, right, think about how dirty that sort is, right, I was thinking about that right the other I was thinking about how earlier Peter O'Toole gives him the sword. He's like, fight with this sword, and I'm like, well, maybe that's the problem, right, that's not the sword he's used to. No, that's true. That's a good point. Look at this so pathetic. He's like clinging to Hector's legs. Yeah, And so Orlando Bloom's like, I don't want to do that, man, you know what I get it.
Speaker 2: I get if you're like the handsome guy, you know, and you're you're in Pirates and you're like the cool guy everybody, you know, the guy of the moment. Yeah, you don't want to play this like save me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting. Although I will say dramatically it's great.
Speaker 1: Oh it is. I mean well, I mean it really it underscores Hector's heroism, right, He's like he's going to protect his brother. Yeah. I think that again, Like I think the movie sort of shaves some of the nuance off of Mental House, because I don't think he's entirely unreasonable to be like, hey, don't take my wife, you know, right right, I think I think he's not quite as nuanced in this film. But it's such a great performance by by Brenon Gleeson, who he's such a great man. I you know, we've talked before about Banshe's of ensuring oh so good in that movie. He's fantastic in that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I was reading differences between theatrical director's cut.
Speaker 1: A lot of the.
Speaker 2: Violence was toned down, Yeah, because yeah, I was a little surprised. I mean it's like like spears through faces, explosions of blood, and now I'm realizing that I have not been seeing that in this version, you know. And it's funny because I don't like love violence necessarily, but I was kind of appreciating it because this this type of war with spears and shields and swords, like it's brutal, Like it's not cool, it's not pleasant, Like it's really brutal and awful and something you don't want to be a part of. And so seeing that extra blood and gnarliness. I felt like sold it. Well yeah, yeah, well what we.
Speaker 1: Saw during during this period was a de emphasis on blood and gore and this type of thing. Interesting, right, because because I feel like Brave Heart gets you there, good lord, it's like mallets on heads and water balloons of blood just block. Yeah. Yeah, but but well, I mean I don't know, gladiators fairly violent, right it is, Yeah, it is, but I think this was trying to get some of that Lord of the Rings audience. Oh wow, that's a great observation. Yeah right, Yeah, Lord of the Rings is a little bit more like I mean, I mean, the fights are the fights, but they're they're relatively antiseptic compared to like Rave Heart, for example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I brutal for a PG thirteen, but certainly not R rated.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I mean, you know one thing you have to say, I mean, this movie is a lot sexier than than Hollywood lately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot more undraped flesh.
Speaker 2: It's certainly in the director's cut. Yeah, I'm noticing, but even in this version, well in this version too, But no, that is a good point. That is a good point. But I the director's cut. It's interesting because this is an R rated movie. You can show whatever you want. But I noticed that staging is a little different in this version, like less nudity, overt nudity, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, this is fight between Ajax and Hector. I really like, right again, Hector is not a demi god, but he holds his own you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I liked his advice to Paris, where he's like, just, you know, keep ducking out of the way and let him swing and he'll tire himself.
Speaker 1: And stupid idiot didn't do that. Yeah, he kept engaging with them like a freaking moron. Yeah, stupid Paris.
Speaker 2: If I've learned anything from Mike Tyson's punch Out, there are certain opponents you just have to keep ducking, let them tire themselves out, wait till they turn purple, and then punch away.
Speaker 1: That's good advice. Oh man, I'm so glad I wasn't alive during this time. Right. He imagined you and I on the front lines, Like, what are you doing here, Zachy, We were not made for these times. You would just hear me going in the distance. I'm running, just running from one end of the battlefield to the other.
Speaker 2: I see running in circles. Oh man, that shot is amazing.
Speaker 1: Look at that. I mean you feel the ferocity. Yeah, just the spears and the shield.
Speaker 2: It looks dangerous even for the actors, all this clash of pointy things.
Speaker 1: Any Sorry, what were you saying? No? I well, I think in terms of the story, I love how Achilles is sitting it out. You know, he's yes, he's like, this isn't my fight, you know, yeah, And and you know, I mean this is like the tragedy of the story is if the Trojans would have taken their their w and been happy with it. Mm hmm, right, the city would have stood, you know. Yep.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, it try to be crazy at the end because I was thinking the same thing. I mean, obviously I know this story, but when you see this mysterious thing on the beach, my first thought was burn it. And Paris even says that, but we know how it goes.
Speaker 1: His one useful contribution to this whole thing. Yeah. Yeah, well, and actually even earlier than that, right, because because the Trojans extract a victory here and then they're like, we have to push our advantage, so let's attack their boats. And whatnot, right right, right right, and and you know it's it's I mean, it gets to something fundamental, which is that that human arrogance doesn't matter what flag you stand for. Arrogance is is international.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: And and there's there's I think that by virtue. This this is me looking at it from from Peterson's perspective and saying, well, when you remove the gods from the story, then the onus and the humiliation is put on on on the men, on the people. You know, you you can't pawn it off and say, oh, well this is you know, Zeus did this. This is just men being stupid men. And certainly that's that's more within our realm of experience, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, my my other title a series of escalating bad decisions. Yeah, I mean seriously, And it's a bummer to watch, but you can also sort of shake your head knowingly at it and just be like humans.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah really.
Speaker 2: Or history Yeah, oh man, I was thinking of this too, like what a I did, Like that where he's like, you know, let them collect their dead, and it's like would they let would they give us the I forget what he says.
Speaker 1: He says it much more poetically? Would they do the same for us? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was also thinking the pire budget on this movie. It's pretty high. There's a lot of pires in this movie.
Speaker 1: Now, I should say, in terms of historical accuracy, I think the pires are probably fine. But like putting the coins on the eyes, I don't think coins existed as as a currency at that time.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, I mean I know that as a thing, right, like for the ferrymen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that came later. Oh fascinating. Okay, I didn't know, right, because you're you're looking at primarily like a barter based economy. Sure. Interesting, But I think the the you know, the way the ritualization of the dead and how that's this thing that connects these people. I think that's interesting in terms of how we connect back to Hector being returned to the Trojans, you know. And it is one of these things where where we watch it now and it's like, what are you all fighting about anyway? Jeeves? You know, at least in the film, it's ostensibly about Helen, but it's actually about about Agamemnon wanting to increase the size of his empire. And you're like, man, things don't change you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, right, it's interesting that she's like with him, yeah, through and through here, you know, like she's not turned off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think that's the struggle that the film had. Is that again in the story, he Parish is rescued by Aphrodite and and so she's like, well this guy isn't much of a guy. Uh, And so that is over basically, And I think the movie needed us to still care because there's still you know, an hour and a half left, right right, right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Orlando Bloom interesting, interesting guy. You know he worked with the excuse me, Eric Banna earlier in Black hawk Down.
Speaker 1: That's right, they were in that together. I mean, this really was their decade, you know. Black hawk Down was that oh one? I think? Right? Yeah? Wow, that that too. That was a real bumper crop of of of early aughts actors, right, Ian McGregor. Who else is in that? Man, it's been a minute. I'd be curious to you watched the party? I feel like Tom Hardy, isn't.
Speaker 2: That that feels right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Black hawk Down?
Speaker 2: I just remember being really grizzly, and.
Speaker 1: I've only seen it the one time, to be honest. Same, Yeah, who we got? Who we got? Uh?
Speaker 2: Tom Sizemore, you McGregor, Josh Hartnett, There you go, William Fickner, uh reluctant President and Independence Day too. Look it up people. I never said his name, right because I don't say it out loud often.
Speaker 1: Ian Griffad Joan Griffith. There you go.
Speaker 2: Apologies to Johan mister fantastic yep, Jason Isaacs, Yeah, Ridley Scott.
Speaker 1: See, this is one of the few scenes that really gives us a window into Odysseus, right and and and I think Odysseus is is kind of the conscience of the piece. Yeah. Yeah, So it's a tough one, right because because he is a tertiary character in the Iliad. But I do wish we got more of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean, not knowing this story so well and knowing about to watch the Odyssey, I did think it was interesting. I'm like, oh, I'm watching part of the story from a different a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so it'll be interesting then to I don't know, watch that.
Speaker 1: There was a there was a mini series of the Odyssey which I don't know if you said, has Armanda Sante as Odysseus. No, that was in the in the late nineties. That was when you know, like I remember Gulliver's Travels, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like an NBC thing, right, that's right, Merlin. Wasn't that a thing?
Speaker 1: That was another one? Yeah? So during that spell they cranked out The Odyssey as well.
Speaker 2: Wow, so big budget network TV movies.
Speaker 1: Wow, And that was pretty good from what I remember. Yeah. Now, now this this love story is kind of kind of manufactured for for the but basically they took like three different characters and merged them into.
Speaker 2: Bresais Oh interesting, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because because there's Cassandra, who is the sister of Hector and Paris, who's not even in this, right, she's not in this at all. So she's been cursed by the gods with with foresight, right, so she has predicted that the fall of Troy. That's the curse of Cassandra, right, is that you know the future, but nobody listens. Right. And then there's a character called chris Aus who is a priestess of Apollo and right, so, so Brisius is in the story, but it's but they just merged her with these three other ones. M I think just for this again, if if you're removing the gods. Then then foresight doesn't really make sense, right, So in essence, she is playing that role where like, oh, you know, try trying to speak for her city and what will happen to it, and without without it being explicitly for telling the future.
Speaker 2: And I think they do a pretty good job with her being someone who comes to understand Achilles as a person, a complicated person. But she also never turns on her home either, like she's there's a tug of war happening with her, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think Achilles is the one who goes on the emotional journey. Yeah, but again it's like, well it's because he looks.
Speaker 2: Like that, Like it helps. I'm sure it helps. Yeah, but you can sort of understand whether it's Stockholm syndrome or I don't know, but like the way that she falls for him, like I believe. But then when it comes down to like he's going to go kill Hector and she's like, that's my cousin, you psycho, you know, like you know, it's not like she's like, no, I love you, don't do this. It's like, hey, that's my family, idiot, don't do that, right. I feel like it the balance worked for tracks, and then when she gets on the horse, you know, with her father or uncle or whatever, like I believe that she'd be like, yeah, you know what, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think in that moment, I mean, the mere fact that Achilles lets her go is like the yes, that's the you know, the beauty and the beast moment, you know, yeah, yeah, this hideous beast Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wouldn't have bought if she was like, no, I'm staying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right exactly. Yeah. But but the fact that he lets her go is what makes her mourn when he dies, right exactly. Yeah. I think this is all handled really well. Yeah. See I think that, like we said, like at the start of the picture, Achilles, I mean he's just like shitty to a little kid, right right right, It's like a man, I couldn't do this. He's like, yeah, thats why nobody's gonna remember who you are, right right right, and then he kicks him in the balls and rides off. Yeah you know, but like, yeah, see, look at that. There's a lot of a lot of nudity for a movie like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is stuff that streamers do now. Movies don't do this as much, That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brad Pitt's like, well all them chicken breasts, Yeah yeah, might as well. Well I'm not hiding this. I'm not hiding this. But shoot, what was I saying? Totally lost my train of thought? Yeah, yeah about the boy that he kicked in the balls? After he kicks the boy in the balls? No, So the reason he's he's fighting, you know, Odysseus is like, oh, you know, they'll they'll like sing songs about you, like he's doing it for the glory, for legacy. Yeah, you know. And and I think that in and of itself is fascinating because like, what what an empty life that is? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's what his mother tells him, right, like you can you could have a family, and you could live a very happy life, but no one will know your name, or you could go to war, probably die, and everyone will know who you were years from now.
Speaker 1: This, I mean this, this gets to a conversation you and I have had before where you know, you look at just the sweep of history and whatever and you kind of say, you know what, I'm glad I'm not going to be mentioned in any history books. Yeah, yeah, that's not something I need to worry about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for a lot of reasons, Like one, I just to what end, you know, yeah, I don't care, but also like and then to be twisted you know at some point who knows, who knows what they would do with my name eventually.
Speaker 1: Well, and and just to live with that as your overarching purpose, like oh, my legacy, legacy, legacy, And it's like, well, you know, your your your life is your legacy at the end of it, you know, and it'll if you do good work, those works will outlive you. And then you know, eventually that'll fade away too, because all things do, and that's it. And you know there's something comforting about that, I suppose. Yeah, yeah, do the best with what you actually get to enjoy yourself. Yeah, you know. So so I mean that we we see the emptiness and Achilles, right, So I think that's where BRESAEI is sort of points the way towards a life he might have had, you know. Yep. See, like this is a great scene right here that that humanizes Achilles because you realize, well, Odysseus is a true friend to him. And Odysseus is interesting because he's like the nexus between Agamemnon and Achilles, right, Achilles only in the fight because Odysseus asked him to. Yeah, and we see it like, well, Odysseus is not like Agamemnon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he just says it right here, of all the kings, I respect you the most.
Speaker 1: Right you have to serve in order to lead, you know, Like I I think that, you know, just as we're talking about the Odyssey, right, I think that that the the events of the Odyssey are the torment Odysseus suffers for his role in the sacking of Troy, which just I mean, that's one thing. Watching this makes me very excited to see essentially the story pick up, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, so okay, so we haven't talked about Patrick Cliss at all in the story. So so a lot of people say, oh, Patrick Cliss and Achilles aren't cousins their lovers.
Speaker 2: Okay, and from the text or something like from the original story.
Speaker 1: Well, see, I mean there's just so many different ways of reading it because there is no one original story. Right, So my understanding is, well, they are cousins, but they're equals, they're buddies, So you can read into it that that they're lovers. I mean, but that's like anything you know, you know, like it's like, you know, oh, Steve Rogers and Bucky are lovers, you know what I mean? Sure, sure, sure, like like you can read into it. Yeah, but ship, there's shipping going on. But my sense is that they're they're just they're they're buddies. They are related. But but it's not like a like, oh, you're my cousin, I have to protect you type thing. It's just his buddy. And so Hector when Hector uh kills Patrickless, it's just he just wants revenge for his buddy who died, you know. And it's it's not even so much about like, oh, Hector thought he was Achilles or whatever, that that's something the movie invented. Wait, what was invented that that Hector thought he was fighting Achilles?
Speaker 2: So what's the in the original story he knows that in the.
Speaker 1: Original story, Yeah, it's just Achilles is like, no, man, y'all, y'all, y'all fight, I'm not fighting, and Patrick's is like, fine, I'll fight, and he takes Achilles' armor. Everybody knows it's it's it's Patrickless right, because because when you think about it, like they met, they met on the battlefield, they met and fought on the battlefield. So what does Hector need to be ashamed of? M M. It doesn't matter if it's if it's Patrick Less or Achilles the man squared up with a sword and he fought him, right, right, it's not like you know what I mean, it's not.
Speaker 2: I mean that, yes, And that was what was bothering me in this version. Although I think it's fine as a story, but it was just annoying me that Achilles was so angry at Hector, and it's like.
Speaker 1: I was supposed to do like you know, so yeah.
Speaker 2: And but but I think to me that was what made the story so effective, was like this is all pointless, right, It's just people killing and then begets begets killing, begets killing, begets killing.
Speaker 1: You know, it just never ends. Yeah, I mean you're living in a world of war where the only glory you have is conquest or killing, and and you know eventually it's just a zero sum game, right, and that's you know, for Achilles, his glory. The only path laid out for him is to kill until he is killed. So who cares about the glory, right you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, something about just the how upsetting it all was kind of worked for me because I felt like that just fit the theme of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think it works in the film, but yeah, definitely if you take a step back, would you're like, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it feels undercooked or just like someone not thinking clearly because they just like to kill, you know.
Speaker 1: Like it it's not like Patrickliss, you know, was stepping up behind Hector and Hector doesn't even you know, without even realizing it kills him and he was you know, like it was no. This was in a battle scenario and Hector one fair and square. So it's almost I mean in the film, it's it's almost like Achilles is more upset or equally upset that how dare you think you could defeat me?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm oh yeah yeah, yeah, good point. Yeah. By the way, this is awesome.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny when the archers were shooting those flaming arrows and they were hitting the sands, like what's your what's the what's the game here? You know, and he got these rolling balls.
Speaker 1: I was like, ah, I got it. There you go but this looks.
Speaker 2: Epic and it's difficult, but.
Speaker 1: But I love look at the look on Hector's face, right he he doesn't want this. Yeah, right, and this, you know, this gets to you know, you have the priests. We're like no, no, no, we gotta oh, we gotta, we gotta go. We got to go after them. And it's like, guys, they were gonna leave. Mm hmm, you know, I know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like like we're saying, and I guess that's kind of the theme. It's just it's never gonna end. One thing will lead to another somehow.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing, right, It is like, I mean, again, the events in this film are obviously made up, but again, there was a Troy. There is no longer a Troy, but no one knows what happened there. And isn't that like the ultimate Testament? You know right right? People live, people died, the city fell. We don't know anything, you know. Yeah, yeah, I remember a couple of years ago I went to at the at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. They had an exhibit about POMPEII mm hm. And you know people, people's people are frozen in ash. Yeah, their bodies are preserve they're preserved in ash. And there was a display of somebody somebody's remains and it said it said something to the effect that we believe this was an important person. And I was telling my kids, I was like, but we don't know, Like, isn't that like we whoever that person was, everything they achieved, it doesn't matter all we're doing at this moment in time. We're guessing that maybe this person was important. We don't even know their name, right, you know, Yeah, anyway, sorry.
Speaker 2: No, no, but it's interesting, and you think, I mean, if that person wasn't a good person, like maybe if someone just defended them or looked at them the wrong.
Speaker 1: Way, they had that person killed.
Speaker 2: And it's like that person died because they offended this important person that we don't even know who the heck they are now. Yeah, and it doesn't matter. Yeah, it's very weird.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the like, I think that's the value of telling this story and doing a quote unquote grounded version is it allows you to hopefully, you know, contextualize it with just the sweep of human.
Speaker 2: History and just yeah, see how tragic it all is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because how much blood has been spilled over land, you know. Yeah, yeah, so this here, that that is Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, okay, right.
Speaker 1: They're very clever about that.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Yeah, but he's got the helmet on so he can't exactly fully see the face. But yeah, seeing Hector fight him, we as an audience believe he's fighting Brad Pitt exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: See so again, like contextually, it's like, well, what's what heck you're doing wrong here? Right?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, yeah, what's he supposed to do? It's shocking though that that throat cut right there. Interesting by the way, too, as this scene started the day for night kind of thing, just calming out the craft. Yeah, kind of playing with the color, a little surreal feeling.
Speaker 1: But it works, you know, yeah, totally. Oh Patrick Cliss, you dumb idiot, Patrick Cliss in Paris, equally stupid. Yep.
Speaker 2: It's funny too, because I mean everyone's playing this very straight and horrified. But it would be kind of interesting if everyone on the Hector's side, you know, kind of tugged at their collars like whooo.
Speaker 1: I'm holding his hand? See again, like the we're meant to view this as some great tragedy and again, I'm like, I don't know, dude. I think Hector was one hundred percent above board here totally.
Speaker 2: And also I liked, yes, that he is experiencing this as a tragedy, holding the victim's hand. This is awful for it. It's not like oh pity, right, you know.
Speaker 1: But I like that here where Hector goes to Odysese, he's like, enough for one day. Yeah, yeah, I just agree, that's it, We're done.
Speaker 2: It's kind of funny, isn't it looking at this shot with the different soldiers from each side like yep, okay, okay, excuse me, excuse me, Like war's over for the day, well for the day, we'll see tomorrow, yeah, which really just you know, showcases the futility of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's what he's saying, right, we were gonna leave. Yeah, So I mean this all that's that's the tragedy, right, is that like the Trojan elders were like, hey, we're winning, let's like kill him. It's like, why don't you just let him go? Yeah? You know, yeah, he's like, oh, he's got to deliver the bad news. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, I was worried in another movie this guy would get killed just for delivering I know you feel that tension in delivering the bad news to a killer.
Speaker 1: He's gonna do like a Bob Gun situation. Yes, yes, exactly exactly. But that's like we're supposed to like Achilles, right, that's the Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's complicated. I can change him Brian exactly exactly. Yeah. Who is this guy?
Speaker 2: He's a good actor, right, he looks very familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a good actor too. That's the character's name, that would help. Yeah, I'm just quickly scrolling. At some point, all the Greek names just kind of blend together. That a MICUs, I believe you. Yeah, no, I made that up. That's not anyway. He just looks familiar, micas. I'm gonna go with that decla MICUs Papadopolis.
Speaker 2: That's from Webster mister Polis.
Speaker 1: Uh George, mm hmm. So the characters Uteros.
Speaker 2: In Uteros my favorite Nirvana album.
Speaker 1: Let's see who's the Oh? I see okay? Vincent Vincent Reagan, Reagan. Yeah, where have I seen him? Though? Three hundred Okay found his lane the Clash of the Titans. He certainly has definitely found his lane.
Speaker 2: Aquaman, the Lost Kingdom. Wow, okay, yeah he's a soldier.
Speaker 1: Well, good for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah great, see yeah anyway, yep, kind of a dark moment him strangling rose Burn there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are we supposed to feel about that?
Speaker 2: I'm going with not great.
Speaker 1: Okay, just checking. There's a gut check moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it just shows, you know, there's there's a darkness in him.
Speaker 1: So Saffron Burrows, you know, before this, I think what I knew her best from was a deep blue sea.
Speaker 2: Whoa did not make that connection?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's just reflexively, I'm like, that's the lady who made those charks smart stupid. We don't ruin everything, lady.
Speaker 2: I wait, I was expecting you. You used to say, way to ruin everything, ruin her? Yes, I've thought about that that back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this here where Hector is walking her through like the evacuation plan. Yes, I mean, this is this is him telling like, you know, if if the Trojans come in, excuse me, if the Greeks come in, you know, they'll throw the babies or the parapets and they'll take you as a slave. Well that is what happens, right, I mean, that's how Andromachi she's you know, that's how she dies. So it's like horrible what happens, you know, So I don't fault the film to be like, okay, let's we need like we can't end that way, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting okay, And I'm glad, Yeah, I mean we get enough horror in that moment.
Speaker 1: Right, because because the the Iliad itself, like I said, it's only it's like a month in this ten year war and it and it it ends with the Iliad. Doesn't he an end with the horse going into the city walls, right, because I believe it ends with him returning the remains to Priam. Oh that's where the Iliad ends, right, But in the story, Achilles is dead well before the horse. Oh, like he he doesn't make it into the city, right, So it's it's interesting like again all the changes, right, yeah, interesting, Yeah, Like Agamemnon does not go into the city, Menelaus does. Menolaus is dead already obviously, But I think all this build up really works, right, I Mean it's Hector knows that that he's not going to make it out of this fight, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a moment coming up where he kisses his baby. I was like, wow, like I really felt gravity of this child, will not see me, will not have a father, yeah, this afternoon, you know.
Speaker 1: So in the in the story, ah, it's not quite. Hector isn't portrayed quite as quite as Stoic because Achilles shows up and and he chases Hector around the city three times before Hector finally.
Speaker 2: Really that's true, that's true, and then he like yeah, no, yeah, Well.
Speaker 1: What happens is that Hector is trying to hide from Achilles, and then one of the gods who's like on the side of the Greeks shows up and and presents himself in the form of one of one of Hector's compatriots. Okay, he's like, come on fighting, we'll do it together. And he's like all right, fine, and he goes to fight him. But it turns out like that that was just a mirage, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, a little different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very so. I think. I think obviously this movie like they made Paris way woosier, hmm, and they made Hector way stronger, fast, stronger of character.
Speaker 2: So they used the story basically as a launch pad and then thought, well what if we tried this and well then that would lead to this, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like anything, right, I mean it, it's like, that's that's the old. Like how many times do we watch movies that that have some source material and then they make cinematic changes and then you judge the changes as either good or bad. But it's an adaptation, you know, it's a it's not a translation. You know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of fascinating along those lines. I read that in two thousand and eight Warner Brothers was looking to do a science fiction version.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the Odyssey in Space.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. I remember that from my days working at a studio Get out of here, and so I was like, I completely forgot about that. Yeah, and that I remember that going around. Wow, And uh, I don't know why not at this point, you know, the story's been told so many times, like play with it, but I guess it has been played with. I mean right down to oh brother where art though?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right, as if this recording still the best adaptation of the Odyssey, I.
Speaker 2: Need to rewatch that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that changes next week. I guess we'll find out. Yeah, right, right man, the dread that's right, Like that's what I was admiring. You know, they really convey the sense of like fate is just coiling tighter and tighter here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's we can see the minutes on his clock, Yes, counting down.
Speaker 1: See that too, where the archers are about to unload on him. He's like, no, don't. I gotta be honest. I'm kind of like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Dude, I'm so glad you said that, because I thought that a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Would it be that bad? The dice that?
Speaker 2: And then also when he leaves and you know, we know things are gonna start, you know, riling up again, is.
Speaker 1: Like, maybe just just just shoot him? Just like, what's the worst that happens? They miss? Okay, you're no worse off. I mean, is there any honor in this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, like you said, just doing you know, what was he supposed to do? Let the other guy kill him.
Speaker 1: That's right. I mean that gets to sort of the ephemeral nature of how do we even define what is and isn't honorable. Oh, it's more honorable if you look the guy in the face as you as you stab him, you know, like right right, I mean, let's take a step back and say this whole thing is barbaric.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah exactly, but yeah, like just the tragedy of this, like he's okay, sorry, dad's.
Speaker 1: He's making Yeah, yeah, but I love here where King Priam is like, you know, you're the You're the You're the best son I've ever had, no father's ever had, and parents is like, yeah, yeah, if I could have only one son, I'm so glad it's you, like you have two. And hey, by the way, this actor too, he's in Braveheart also, yeah, I remember him. He's he's Brendan Gleason's dad. Yeah, she'd be like, well about to die, idiot? Yeah, seriously, I mean moron.
Speaker 2: I actually was thinking that, Like he goes out still being very charitable and kind to his younger brother, who's really started this whole.
Speaker 1: Next time you're having sex with her, remember how I'm dead because of your right, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you can imagine the cold version where it's like I hope she was worth it and then just walk past him. But you know him, he's actually nice, I know, but I mean this is terrible. He goodbye to his dad, go by to his brother, to his men, now to his wife, kisses his baby goodbye.
Speaker 1: It's just so it's really I know it's a lot, but you know what's funny is I mean you and I we were talking just last week about the unending sacrifice of President Thomas J. Whitmore. Yeah, right, right, right, right, too, right, And I'm like, well, this is the good version right here, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point, all while we have Achilles, you know, like calling him out like that, his eventual doom literally yelling out.
Speaker 1: In the distance. Yeah. Yeah, I gotta say.
Speaker 2: Though, I don't really know the details of what we're missing from the director's cut, but this does move at a nice clip.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Yeah, it's it's mostly little bits and bobs here and there that just add character moments. Mm hmm. Like I said, more brisais more Paris and Helen and there's a there's a Hector and Andro Mocky say like, it's it's mostly like the talking bits, you know, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And not it's not the bad version of this like we were talking about with Supergirl, where it feels like maybe there was a test audience and they're like, oh, we get bored here, or you know, we're not sure we're into this scene. So they're like, well, just cut, just keep cutting and make it faster, faster, faster, and then it doesn't even breathe anymore. That's right, Like this movie still feels like it's breathing, but it is moving.
Speaker 1: With urgency, right, I agree with that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was a great shot by the way, too with Helen h you know, just sort.
Speaker 1: Of the sadness in her eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also like she is the beginning of this Yeah, and she is gorgeous and there's a tragedy happening, and just that real wide shot of her standing there looking beautiful, but also there's sort of an aching to that shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then that shot too of Achilles out there, just a dot in the middle of the screen, just him.
Speaker 1: It's just him. I mean, I mean Peter O'Toole may have thought him a clown, but William Wolf King Peterson knew his way around a shot. Yeah. Yeah, I love that There's there are no pacts between lions and men. That's that's like from the Iliad. Oh is it that line? I think it's a great line, right, because because Hector is so completely outmatched. Yeah, and it certainly it makes sense if Achilles is a demi god, right, Like this is this is not in any way a fair fight, right.
Speaker 2: I do like that he like kind of stands up for himself here a little bit.
Speaker 1: He's like, what was I supposed to do? Bro?
Speaker 2: I did think this was so dark where he's like, I'm gonna take out your eyes and your tongue, like so when you're in the underworld, you're gonna be walking around deaf and dumb, you know. And I was like that if you like really believe that, like that is that is cold man?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: By the way, watching this fight, which I think is great, I'm really glad they didn't do what was very popular at the time and do that shutter speed thing. Oh right, like the speed ramping, yeah, or no, not the stuttery thing. Oh that Saving Private Ryan did first?
Speaker 1: Oh sure, And I was thinking, like Mummy returns, you know at the end of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that is what it is. We talked about that another day, but like you know, Saving Private Irodn did it, and it was the first time I had seen it, and it was effective because they used it for a reason. But then I think a lot of people associated that with well that's what cool action looks like now because Steven Spielberg did it and in saving Private Ryan, but then it just became well no, now it just looks kind of jittery and obnoxious. Yeah, you know, and this I can see what's going on, and I appreciate that. I'm glad they didn't give into the trend at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad that both Eric bann and Brad Pitt agreed to do it for real and not have stunt doubles. You can.
Speaker 2: It's super effective seeing their faces do this and impressive.
Speaker 1: So they they made a gentleman's agreement with each other that for every every serious hit they would owe the other one hundred dollars, right, and for any any smaller hits fifty bucks. Yep, and Brad Pitt ended up seven hundred and fifty dollars poorer after all this, yep, which it occurs to me. He was getting seventeen million. So like, I wonder if he just went out of his way to be a dick to Eric Bannet, because he's like, whatever, yeah, just for fun, just for funzies. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And apparently Banna didn't op it anything, I.
Speaker 1: Know, because because he needed the money, he would again seventeen million for this, see right there when when Extor falls and then and then Andrew Macky just like she knows right, And it's one thing to have it in your mind what's about to happen. It's another thing to witness it happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, watching it like Spectators.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's horrifing. So yes. In the director's cut, all of this, it unfolds with with the the elf whin Planet of the Apes theme playing yes yeah, which again I mean, maybe not that many people watch that movie. I don't know, but I know that music pretty well. Yeah, so it plays very differently with the with the Horner music. I'm wishing.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna watch as soon as we're done. I'm going to watch this scene with because I love James Horner first of all, but I want to hear the difference.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know if it's better or worse. It's just different, you know. Yeah, yep, O'Toole's face, I know this is it.
Speaker 2: He fought valiantly.
Speaker 1: That's I mean. I remember watching this the first time, and like I said, it's like, you know, what has to happen because that's the story and it makes it. They they wring all the all the drama out of it, you know. Yeah. I also think the fact that Helen is embracing andromakey, like there isn't that tiny part of her that's like, well, thanks for nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know, you know, seriously, they have been very welcoming to her. And this is so cold too, tying up the body and dragging it behind on the chariot.
Speaker 1: And then we see Peter O'Toole overcome by the vapors.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I was thinking for him being so unhappy on set. He does a really good he drops and let his head, lets his head hit the hard floor. Is like, yeah, he's committed.
Speaker 1: That's I mean two by this stage of his career, I mean he passed away and twenty thirteen, I believe, so, I mean he was, he was in the twilight of his career, you know, And so I think, yeah, that's a poor guy, you know, he just he just faints. Oh man, Pitt looking him in the eye too, dragging his boy behind him. I'm no expert, but it feels like dragging the corpse of a person he just killed behind your your your chariot.
Speaker 2: That's rude, not good sportsmanship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems rude to me. Yeah, well they actually cut out them. Oh yeah, you're right, they cut out the fainting.
Speaker 2: Interesting that's the most important part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: I think that's really important actually, And why you would understand even more that he would risk going into the camp to go collect his son's by Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting, interesting, just how affected he is damn well. I mean, especially because that was the one request that Hector made, right that no matter who wins, we allow our people to honor, you know, to do their death rituals. And Achilles very so knowing that was what Hector wanted. Yeah, I mean one presumes they all want that because they're warriors, they get it. But I mean the fact that he had articulated that and he's like, yeah, piss on your rituals, right. See. I think that that the Achilles arc, right. I think that's that's the what makes him complex, you know. And I would think that the story the film added complexity to his character. In order to make it, we have to somehow be okay with what happened with the fight with Hector, while still we have I have to feel something when he dies, you know, So I understand the mechanics I don't know if they hundred percent get us there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad you said that because I was feeling I was having complicated feelings at the end of this movie, thinking like, I don't am I supposed to be on anyone's side here or is this just me observing you know, omnitiently sort of the tragedy of humanity or something?
Speaker 1: You know. Well, I think structurally we're supposed to feel more for the Trojans, right, I think, right, I mean I think so, yeah, because they're the ones who have this inflicted upon them. However, they're the ones who started this.
Speaker 2: Also, uh huh exactly, That's what I mean, right, Like there is that Yeah, yeah, like they're they're all kind of doing, you know, bad things, So I don't but but yeah, watching the sacking of True is just horrifying.
Speaker 1: It really is. So yeah, this, this, right is a terrific scene. Yes, this is like you watch this and you're like, yeah, Peter O'Toole hated every second of being in this movie.
Speaker 2: My man showed up, wouldn't wouldn't have known it?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also like the way that that Brad Pitt's playing this too, where he's uncomfortable. Yeah, yeah, you know, he is actually experiencing some feelings here. Yeah, compassion, I think for this guy. But it's also like the way that O'Toole is sort of humbling himself is very uncomfortable to Achilles.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's sort of you know, because because you know, pream mentions that he he knew his father, right, but he didn't have he didn't he didn't live to see what what he has seen, which is his own sun dying right, that speaks to a love that Achilles never had. He never had a paternal figure in his life in that way, and so I think that that explains his discomfort. You know, I don't know how I'm supposed to to react here, you know, because you see Priam was very affectionate to his sons. He embraced them, he kissed them, you know, and and that that seems like something that that Achilles never experienced. Yeah. I like this where he's Achilles is like, he killed my cousin, and he's like, well, how many cousins have you killed? Yeah, fathers, husbands, fathers. Yeah, yeah, right, there's lucky, lucky enough, lucky to not live long enough to his to see his son fall. Yeah right, and you see the look on Achilles's face right there. You know. I love where he says I loved him from the moment he opened his eyes to the moment you closed them. Yeah, good line. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I just I feel like Brad Pitt is a really interesting actor. Where he's he's very you know, popular known, right, But like I do feel like he has a lane or a range, and when he's in that range, he can be on fire. But sometimes when he's pushed, his limits reveal themselves a bit.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: But I think in this scene where he's actually really acting and reacting, I think he's doing a really great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But and but to your point, I mean this like he didn't do very many costume pictures, you know. Yeah, that's true. Other than this, I think, right, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Yeah, so this, this was sort of unexplored territory for him, and so maybe that explains why he wasn't wasn't really feeling it, hmm, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But just yeah, I just for the thing that he's complaining about where this feels more like a blockbuster here's the Hero movie. Then I finish back on that, I would agree, and I would show him this scene, you know, which I think he's doing great job in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think this scene is what buys us the end of the movie. Yes, Like, to whatever extent we feel sad that Achilles dies, it's because of what what this scene gives us, you know.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's really brutal. When we see.
Speaker 1: Hector's like sand covered face, blood matted hair, this too, This is this is a nice moment. Yes, I would have liked a greater like what what brings on the tears? Hmm? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know, yes, I completely agree. I think I just was intrigued that we saw them. I don't quite know what it all is, but I like it.
Speaker 1: I almost like if we started to suddenly start to see him break with pre m mmmmmm, just like very subtly, you know, like just you know, his his lip is twitching a little, you.
Speaker 2: Know, which would make him uncomfortable and maybe make him leave the tent.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, yeah, yeah, his son was the best I fought and I killed his ass. Anyway, here's his body see him twelve days.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny?
Speaker 1: This is?
Speaker 2: I'm really loving this even on silent Yeah, and I'm thinking I remember, as I was watching this again, the extent version, the first half, I was feeling like some of this feels like, you know, like it's it's good, but I'm not like really in it. And it's the second half where I was like, oh man, this movie is really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And again for fans of this movie, I think the director's cut is worth watching to get the extra stuff in, the extra texture. But I do kind of like this Titaned version, and I do feel like it's second half is pretty strong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's well that itself is fascinating because like we've lost one of our leads and we've still got you know, a half hour to go. Yeah yeah, you know, basically with forty minutes left, we lose one of the centers of gravity. Yeah. So that's like the necklace that his mother gave him. Yeah, I think it is interesting, right, like, like, you know, it's like a sop to the fact that he doesn't buy the religious stuff m but she does. So he's like respecting her beliefs, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because he was questioning them to her face earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. I didn't even think about it talking back.
Speaker 2: By the way, just we were talking about it a minute ago, by James Horner's score, so I guess. Originally, Gabrielle Jared spent over a year scoring this movie, and apparently test audiences didn't react to it or it sounded too old fashioned. I don't wonder what that means, like too big, maybe you know, like old school been her ten Commandments or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it just didn't fit the tone of this. So then yeah, they got Horner to come in and he did this in less than six weeks scored the movie. Yeah, and but to fill in the gaps on the director's cut, not only did they use Planet of the Apes, but they also use stuff from Count of Monte.
Speaker 1: Cristo Starship Troopers. Ye yep.
Speaker 2: I was looking at the credits and I saw a like bug attack. I was like, what, but kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: I find this funny here where Odysseus is like, yes, dude's the guy carving a horse. He's like hmm, you know, because I'm just like, I think it'd be funny, like like, you know, if he hears somebody being like, hey, won't you crawl up that horse's ass, and he's like, crawl up the horse ass, horses ass. You know, it's just very arbitrary, like it would make more sense if it's like he sees like something going into a shell or something, you know what I mean absolutely the point isn't the horse right? Right? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a guy carving a wooden horse toy for probably his boy back home. I totally agree, Like seeing someone hide inside something would.
Speaker 1: That would make more sense? Right?
Speaker 2: But yeah, it is a total you know, fantastic for we were fantastic out there today.
Speaker 1: Say that again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly, That's totally what that moment is, dude.
Speaker 1: But it does get to I I like, I mean, the the the horse plan originates with Odyssees, which is what that is part of the story. Yeah, you know this is clever, you know, and so he's able to think of the the these plans to outsmart you know, for example, the cyclopes and and you know in the Odyssey et cetera. You know, is that the plural of cyclops cyclopes? Yeah? I didn't know that now, you know. Impress your friends at a party. Hey, everybody, everybody listen up, list everybody is you tap your everybody.
Speaker 2: Imagine there's a much is cyclops in the room.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't call them psyclops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd be wrong.
Speaker 1: No, shut up, shut up. Imagine the shut up is there's a Brian. I think you've had enough syclops. Hey wait, hey cyclopop man oh man? Yeah, anyway, that's what it deseased.
Speaker 2: Did what inspires him in the original poem?
Speaker 1: Do you know or remember oh to come up with the horse? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is there like an inspiration or is it just an idea he has?
Speaker 1: I don't expect him to crawl up a horse's ass, of course. Of course, I actually don't know, but but I will say so. So the Iliad ends here, m it doesn't even end with the war ending, Okay, But you know there are other like Homer told the Iliad and the Odyssey, but there's other stories set, you know, that sort of expanded out. You know, you have like the the the the Odyssey EU. You know, like there's a variety of stories that fill in all these gaps. But the important thing is that by this point in the story, Achilles is already dead. Mmmm. Oh right, so Paris kills Achilles well before the horse happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, because with an assist from the gods. I'm imagining, say again, with an assist from the gods, because otherwise how would he do that?
Speaker 1: Well it yeah, uh the uh you know, we we see the factually. That's a good question. I mean, I mean it's it's we see it earlier in the film with the arrows where he's shooting. He's good at shooting arrows.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, so they did show that, so so oh well, yes, no, he does it. You're right, he does it in this movie and I did buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know if I don't know if it's like known that that's his weak spot though, you know, hmmm. But regardless, so Achilles already dead, so that that's why they come up with the horse gambit, because they don't have their greatest warrior. I kind of like that. Yeah yeah, I almost so so this so so Achilles is not present for the sacking of Troy uh and and Agamemnon is not is not there, he doesn't go into the city.
Speaker 2: I can understand why they did that tweak for this telling. Yeah, like you said, one of our major players is already off the board.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, so so since the movie killed off Menelaus. They give Agamemnon that because it's Menelaus. He goes into the city, he reclaims Helen. What were they thinking? Yeah, so here here's my thought. It's like, okay, you want to bring it into the city. First of all, Oh the gods. The gods will be upset if we burn it. Okay, don't burn it, just leave it at the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like why bring it into the city, right, Although I mean, I of course we critique, but I get it.
Speaker 1: It is kind of a brilliant conceit. Sure it is. But also, yeah, you're right, why not just like give it a once over? You know? Like it?
Speaker 2: It's that's what I love. I've only seen the previous so far of the Odyssey, but when they're actually stabbing into it and you see the swords actually nicking the you know, the men's shoulders, I was like, that's that's great. That that makes sense that they would test it a little bit before.
Speaker 1: They brought it in. That's what I'm saying, you know.
Speaker 2: But I do love that Paris has his one good ideas, what movie I think we should burn it?
Speaker 1: Burn it? The gods will be displeased those priests. Nothing but bad news man.
Speaker 2: Seriously, yeah, responsible for a lot of bad outcomes.
Speaker 1: This this guy. I felt bad for this guy.
Speaker 2: He could have been like the hero they would have told his name for for generations to come.
Speaker 1: The guy he could have been Paul Revere.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly exactly. But this, I mean, this is an all time great story idea. I mean, you got them in hiding in this horse mysterious horse thing and breaking out of it and taking over the city, letting everyone in.
Speaker 1: It's great. And that's where we get beware of Greeks bearing gifts yep or romans depending on the telling.
Speaker 2: But this is this is just I love the way this is filmed.
Speaker 1: Also.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just very like the city empty, quiet, everyone's spilling out of the horse, climbing down with ropes.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, bad things. So a killing I mean his specific goal. He doesn't care about Troy. He just wants to make sure that Brisseus is safe. But what I like is that the movie doesn't in any way frame what they what the Greeks are doing as some heroic thing.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing with me not knowing the story so well, because I imagine I'm going to watch The Odyssey and be on Matt Damon's side, you know, or hoping rooting for him or whatever. But watching this, I was like, oh, this is awful. They are like raping and pillaging and murdering babies, and I'm like, all the bad stuff. Yeah, it's terrible. Yeah, so I was a little surprised to be feeling that way during this iconic moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean, props to the filmmakers for not pulling their punches in that way, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, now I'm curious to watch this theatrical version and see how much they toned it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was.
Speaker 2: It was rough, it was Yeah, it was intense. Actually, it makes a lot of sense knowing it came from Benioff.
Speaker 1: A good point. He's he's his stuff is pretty intense and unrelenting, and I'd say he stuck the landing with this one better than what I hear about the Game of that right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's funny because he tweaked that material too, because he doesn't have an ending, yeah, or Martin still hasn't written it.
Speaker 1: And that's where that kind of fell apart from my understanding. Yeah, yeah, it started becoming very clear that without the R. Martin yeah framework.
Speaker 2: Once he went off book because there was no book.
Speaker 1: That fascinates me because I'm like, Bro had like a long time to finish whatever he was gonna do. Yeah. I wonder if he just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's he's written other things, and these other shows have been created and he's producing them, but just can't bring himself to finish that story. And I wonder this point if it's just he's got the yips or something.
Speaker 1: At this point, I don't think he's ever going to finish it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not. Yeah, And how could it ever live up to you know what people have been waiting for years and years and years and years for and demanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now it needs to not only wrap up the series of books, but it needs to be better than the show. Yeah, right, right, which everyone apparently hated. Right, like a whole new sort of pressure he didn't ask for. That's a good point, even though, isn't the ending like he had told them the ending? Right? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's true. Well, as far as I understand it, Yeah, I think they had an outline or an idea, right. It's interesting this guy who's like, hey, I have a son, and he's like all right, but I'm like, what about the other guy?
Speaker 1: No, we should have stayed on him, be like, holy shit, that worked. Yeah, that's holy shit. It worked. And then he like takes off his helmet. It worked, and then like an arrow shoots him in the head. Yes from someone else? Yeah, yeah, that's good. I like your take.
Speaker 2: I want your director's cut all this. Man, this looks amazing and dangerous.
Speaker 1: You build those sets and then you burn them down. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I read that they endured a hurricane, yeah, at some point, and it makes you think, and I know Star Wars famously had that happened to them too, And it's just you think about all these practical sets and just the damage they may have endured and having to rebuild it. And what a nightmare, what a what a horrifying image singor city burn?
Speaker 1: That's I mean, it's really I mean, look at that. Look at how he's playing it. Peter o'tool. Yeah that look between this and Supergirl, you know, quality of the role. Notwithstanding he showed up. You see why he was as well regarded as he was because they may have done some some you know, Michael Caine in Jaws, the Revenge style projects, but he always showed up. Yep.
Speaker 2: This is a crazy shot too, where she jumps out of the way of the horse. As far as I can tell, it looks like she really did that.
Speaker 1: So after this, Wolfgang Peterson did Poseidon, which I've never seen. I never saw that either. That was two thousand and six, I believe, and then that was it. Man, hmm, like he did like one other thing in Germany, I believe. H But like it's you know, I'm fascinated by that because the guy got on base almost every time, and yet it's just like he had one megaflop Poseidon and then that was it for Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's interesting. That reminds me just this era when I was working at that studio. Sometimes they would make lists of directors so they'd have a script and they'd be like, come up with a list of directors who would be interesting for this, And I remember putting Joe Johnston on the list, and because you know Rock Tier, it's like, yeah, all that stuff. So I was like, he'd be a fantastic action director. And I remember they called him out specifically and they're like, Joe Johnston like as if, why would we go to that guy? You know, fascinating And he was dismissed, and then years later he is tapped to do Captain America, right, and now he's back on the list and everyone's like inspired, you know. So it's the fickle, the fickleness, you know what I mean. So I wonder if with Wolfgang it's like he did Poseidon it was a flop. Stop putting him on lists. Doesn't mean he still doesn't have anything to give. But for some reason he's not on the list now. And then if you were given an opportunity, maybe out of left field, and he knocked it out of the park, everyone would be like, Wolfgang, where have you been?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Huh, I wish he'd have that chance. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think about that with John McTiernan.
Speaker 1: Oh sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A shame we haven't gotten any more movies from that guy.
Speaker 1: Well, he I think after jail, he pretty much I think I'm done making movies. Fair that Kai bash is your career a little bit.
Speaker 2: But man, what an I there you go? But you know what, actually Rollerball, right, and that is the movie that he got basically taken down with.
Speaker 1: Because of I know, God, but rollerball was a disaster. It was. Yeah, so I looked it up, and indeed Apollo guided Paris's arrow towards Achilles' heel.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, okay, he did have an assist.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and however, by this by this point in the story, Paris himself is killed by the sacking of Troy. Before the sacking of Troy, so I mean, bar the war itself. According to the story, it was ten years m and rather than do that, they just, yeah, that's got to be It's got for Brian Cox that it's got to be a cool moment, career moment he gets to kill Peter O'Toole, you know, right, Yeah, so they can they they shrunk it down to you know, several weeks or whatever it is. M hmm. But like that's you know, the Iliad itself is it's not the story of the war. It's just it's the the battle between Actor and Achilles, and it's that four weeks. So with with Agamemnon, yeah, he in the in the story, he dies after returning to Greece because his wife is pissed at him for having sacrificed their daughter before going to war. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It's like an offering.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, okay, and plus he's been sleeping around so she she So basically they just give that business to Brisius here. Yeah, I like it satisfying in this film, it makes more sense giving it to her. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I don't know why she had that knife up her sleeve, but it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It was handy. It was handy. I had a thought and I lost it. Oh there, he goes ooh yeah, in the director's cut, you you see you see the head detached from the body. I'm pretty sure. Yes, yes, it's like.
Speaker 2: Shocking. Yeah, that's I totally forgot about that, and kind of an impressive effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it worked.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, so there we go.
Speaker 1: I kind of like how when he gets shot through the heel, I mean, the moment has it's almost like, if you want to read it that way, it's like, that's the spell is broken in terms of his vulnerability, you know, yep, and at that point he's a mortal yeah right, because like the way he reacts when he gets shot through the heel. I'm no expert, but it feels like a very dramatic reaction, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like he's been he snapped out of something.
Speaker 1: When people shoot arrows through my heels, I just know I don't react that way last time that happened to me. Yeah, I like I like this here where he says in a lifetime of war or you know you were the only piece I had, or something to that effect. It's a good lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I feel like this. This landed for me. It's complicated her relationship, but they did have a connection.
Speaker 1: Wait what she changed him? Yeah, he's in a lifetime of war? Come on, there we go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do wonder if Paris is like.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, yeast is what's happening here? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: I got him? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh I remember what I was gonna say. And I don't mean to just sound like I'm repeating myself, but like in movies now, a lot of the actually I'll speak to John Carter actually, which I was watching last night, like it's populated with a bunch of Martians. Obviously those have to be computer generated, but when they're like climbing over each other and fighting and people are punching them as good as they look at times, there's just this like tangibility that's missing. I just feel like I'm watching a bunch of animated things scramble around the screen, Whereas when I look at this and I'm seeing a bunch of people in costumes bumping into each other and slamming into walls and knocking things over, there's a real brutality and you know, visceral feeling where it's like, wow, that is dangerous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And so I just wish movies would go the.
Speaker 1: Extra mile and.
Speaker 2: Not put as many sort of uh, you know, generated things in there, because I just don't feel like it has the same effect.
Speaker 1: I think with something like John Carter, audiences can at least make some accommodation for the fact that it's it's pure fantasy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and they're green and they're tall and they look weird, and you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: But right, and I think, to some ex sense like, Okay, well what else are you gonna do? Right? I think when we have a film like this that is meant to exist in something resembling our world, those shortcuts become more obvious. Yeah, exactly, exactly right. So I think I'm just paying my respects here because it's impressive. Yeah, you know, I mean, I applaud the craft. Yeah, It's a nice moment for Odysseus right there too. Mm hmm. Yeah, they had a connection, I'm telling you. I mean Sean Bean. It's like he doesn't have a primary role in this film, but he makes a meal of what he gets. Definitely. So yeah, I was talking earlier about like this trend that we saw into the two thousands of this type of film, And you know, I think it was a year after this you had that King Arthur film that Anton Fuquad directed, Remember that, Yeah, yeah, with Clive b Owen and Nightly Care Knightley. Yeah, and then and then you had Robin Hood, the Ridley Scott Robin Hood twenty ten. Mm hmm. That's almost like the Bookends. We got Prince of Thieves here and we got Ridley Scott's Robin Hood there.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, right right, speaking of Bookends, what I'm missing is the dog from the director's cut. Yes, remember it opens with a dog on the beach and then it closes. I don't know if it's the actual lash last shot of the movie, but there's like a dog wandering the ditch again. Yeah, it licks the faces of the people that look like they have.
Speaker 1: The plague, that's right. That's how we know that they're they're not really so thoughts on Troy. Oh yeah, the director's cut also doesn't have the Josh Grobin song at the end.
Speaker 2: M yeah, wait, how does it end the Director's cut?
Speaker 1: Is that the last moment? It's it's what we see here, Odysseus says, you know, you know, I existed in a time with men like Achilles and Hector something to that, but but this is it. You know. I think it's good.
Speaker 2: On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a fifty three percent, and I don't think that's quite right.
Speaker 1: I'd nudget a tad higher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd put it like in the upper seventies. Maybe like give it like a like an eighty.
Speaker 1: I mean, and we say this knowing that Rotten Tomatoes metrics are skewed anyway, So.
Speaker 2: It's oh, totally totally.
Speaker 1: I just but yeah, certainly, as as a film, I'd give it like a solid B, which is what Cinema Score gave it. Oh is that right? Audience is using Cinema Score gave it a B. Yeah, I mean, honestly, director's cut, I'd probably kick it up to like a B plus. I think I think the character bits that they add overall, I think improve the experience. But I had not seen this, as I said, in more than twenty years, and I was like, oh, it's good. I agree.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like it reaches the highs and the nuances and the you know, of something like a Gladiator. Yep, just in its action and its characters and its drama. But I still think it's darn effective.
Speaker 1: By the way. Props to props to my man Bob Ringwood, costume designer he did Batman eighty nine June eighty four, the guy, it's a great costume designer. Definitely. Yeah. Yeah, I was gonna say, yeah, I mean it's not Gladiator. I think that movie was was sort of lightning in a bottle totally, and nor is it Lord of the Rings, you know. Yeah, but clearly this emerged from the same queas and art that had both of those in it, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean it plays like the type of movie that came out in two thousand and four, where, you know, to Brad Pitt's point, I think he's right, it does play a bit more like a blockbuster, Yeah, leads into more of the blockbuster feeling than something like Gladiator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I also feel like it has.
Speaker 2: More moments that he than he's giving it credit for.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, so yeah, so that's why Yeah, besh territory for me. But I mean that in a positive way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and certainly fun to revisit on the eve of the Odyssey. You know, it's like, what what does it look like to revisit this world a quarter century later, almost in a or twenty we know, twenty twenty two years later? My gosh, jesu. You know, like I think that says something like the stories end up being revisited in and again because there's just some something, there's something compelling about it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's interesting to see them retold through the lens of their moments. You know, this is the two thousand and four take on Troy. Then we're going to get our twenty twenty six take on it through the big filmmaker of our time, and then we'll get another one, you know, twenty thirty years from now.
Speaker 1: And hopefully we'll be around to see that one too. Definitely.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I do want to say this because you called up Bob Ringwood. The only nomination this movie got at the Academy Awards for that year was for best costume Design.
Speaker 1: Richly deserved. Yep, great, I mean the production design, all of it's it's quite quite substantial. But hey, let us know your thoughts on Troy. Do you like the theatrical cut? Do you like the director's cut? Do you like it at all? Do you not like it at all? Do you like us? Why don't you like me? I'm going to send you a piece of paper. It says do you like me? And there's two boxes, yes or no? Check one and sign it back. Please. You can let us know all of those things by emailing us at Moviefilm podcast at email dot com. You can also like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps. And if you're listening to this podcast on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and leave a comment because we do read those on the show. Hey, we also have a Patreon page, Ryan, that's right.
Speaker 2: If you head over to Patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode Moving forward, absolutely ad free, and in addition to that, we have bonus conversations that we drop over there about twice a month, which are a lot of fun. Our freefeed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no ads or interruptions butting into the conversation, which is especially annoying when you're trying to follow along with the commentary. Plus, your subscription goes a long way in helping to support us and helping to sustain producing this show. So if you're interested in Abel, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 1: We'd be very grateful. And hey, if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner. That's zaki S Corner. Can also find my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at the Wrap. What about You, Brian, You.
Speaker 2: Can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on dizzey Plus.
Speaker 1: Well with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachie Hassan and This has been our movie film commentary track for Troy. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody,