Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes and oh it's Steve Rivera and Jaken Salmons. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my the ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty on Steve Rivera's Jacobs as now we have handle with the breaking news.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is I on the ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 3: Team USA Women's defeated Nigeria eighty eight to seventy four in the quarter finals today and will now play Australia in the semifinals on Friday.
Speaker 2: Wait eighty eight seventy four.
Speaker 4: With the score Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 5: I was watching it at lunch. I guess I saw the score wrong because I thought they were up by thirty at one point. Apparently not so okay, all right, but yeah, so they're in the semifinals now.
Speaker 2: I'm thankfully. I thought you would say I had them on No.
Speaker 5: Fifty hunter next No, but you know what I would have lost, because I would have thought they would They got.
Speaker 6: Out scored by fourteen points in the fourth.
Speaker 4: Course in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, maybe they were winning by a bunch because I thought they were up by a whole bunch of points and.
Speaker 2: Then then they coasted. Then they must have coasted. Okay.
Speaker 3: T Mac was named to the Belitani caff Award preseason watched.
Speaker 4: Us another another list, right, yeah mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so and we haven't seen this that much accolades preseason accolades in a long time, which is what you know, deserving, right.
Speaker 3: The NCAA has announced a four year show cause on Jim Harbaugh for recruiting violations during COVID.
Speaker 4: Did did you see all that? Did read the whole thing on that?
Speaker 5: Okay, First of all, it's a four year show cause, so for for four years.
Speaker 4: If he wants to coach in in in uh.
Speaker 5: Back in college, which he obviously won't, he's got to, you know, do a show cause. And no matter what, if he tries to come back in that four years, he has a one year suspend. So if he had stayed at Michigan, he would have been suspended for this year and he didn't. You know, he still says he didn't do anything, but you know, he The main thing that they've got him on is not so much I read the whole the whole statement. It's not so much what he's as as always right. It's not so much what he did. It was quote unquote the cover up. It was that he wouldn't he wouldn't cooperate with the investigation. You know, he he hid things, you know, the the the actions after the actual offenses. And this is not related to the the sign stealing thing. This is that you know, the burger and the recruiting during COVID and all that kind of stuff that that they that they got him on. But he wouldn't cooperate, and so I mean he he must have hit I'm guessing he decided before last year that last year was oh yeah, there's no question because partly because of this and then after getting going through all those suspensions and stuff, and he keeps saying I didn't do anything. When Michigan suspended him and admitted he did those things, and yet he's still saying he didn't do anything. He says, I don't lie, cheat or steal. Well, you lie and you cheat, so you probably steal too, is what I'm thinking. But he's a yeah, So he you know, he'll be he'll end his he'll end his career in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Worst things have happened to Jim Harbor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's fine, he's Lori.
Speaker 3: Marknen signed a five year, two hundred and thirty eight million dollar contract extension with the Jazz so five.
Speaker 6: Year, two hundred thirty eight million.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and thirty eight million, four forty some million.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, he's still my best player in the in the in the Shawn Miller, Yeah you think so, It's not even a question to me. Yeah, because he was so versatile. Who is the best defender? And Marketed we had that conversation.
Speaker 5: One of the guys that I I texted, he dug up the box score from that Xavier game, and Marketing had like seven points or something like.
Speaker 2: That, eleven shots. Yeah, and you're looking, who's the obvious guy you gonna shoot the ball? Well, Logs of True Thought.
Speaker 5: Had nineteen and then Wristitch had I think sixteen or something like that.
Speaker 2: And that team was a good team. That was a really You also realized the next game, whatef you saw Gonzaga, Yeah, they were probably.
Speaker 5: Not gonna it didn't matter anyway, they weren't playing. They weren't playing in that Final four in Phoenix either.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The White Sox ended their twenty one game losing streak yesterday with a five to one win over the Athletics.
Speaker 5: I'm mad at myself, Steve, because I didn't put any money on him last night that I thought about it, just for giggles, you know, you know it's five bucks or something like that.
Speaker 2: The trend would have continued to let them lose and lose and lose.
Speaker 5: Well then yeah, then the kiss, the kiss of death would have been live. But it was funny they I listened to the the clip of the White Sox announcers, you know, on the third out of.
Speaker 4: You thought they won the world.
Speaker 2: See, I was just wonder.
Speaker 4: It was pretty It was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Former Cowboys running back Dwayne Thomas passed away Sunday at age seventy seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's why. That's what I was talking about a minute ago.
Speaker 5: Okay, you were, I mean you were around driven him, right, yeah, right, that whole Those are glory days.
Speaker 2: The real glory days back in the mid seventies or late seventies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I see, now you got me. I'm pretty sure. Uh Stoppeck was was on that roster.
Speaker 2: He probably was on the roster, but I don't think he started here. I could be wrong. Uh, he could have been because he was like sixty nine seventy. Uh coming back from the Navy. Yeah, he was the guy.
Speaker 4: Craig Morton was his backup.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he had already taken over.
Speaker 5: Craig Morton was the backup. That team had, Calvin Hill, Dwayne Thomas, Walt Garrison, remember those guys. Yeah, Uh, Lance Alworth, Uh Uh.
Speaker 2: Billy uh the the uh, the runner, the Olympic runner.
Speaker 4: Bob Hayes. No, he has already been.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was.
Speaker 4: Oh no, he was on that team. Okay, Yeah, he.
Speaker 5: Played in fourteen games he had uh but.
Speaker 8: Uh he only had we only had three catches, so he must not know there it is. No, he had take it back, he had thirty five catches, eight hundred and forty yards.
Speaker 4: Who was the tight end? Give you give you give your dollar if you get that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I couldn't tell you. I should not.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He became a coach. Oh but Mike did. Yeah, yeh, yeah, I should know.
Speaker 5: You knew that Mike Dick was the It was the tight end on the right team. Remember Dan Reeves, the uh was on that team.
Speaker 2: That's what that is the only team that we got to see on TV back in my area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here too. That's what you fall in love with well here too.
Speaker 5: That's why there's something there's cowboy fans because in those days you got all the Cowboys games.
Speaker 2: And then you have all the Hispanics. You know, Yeah, who d latched one last the Mikey, the Fed Mike's of the world. Yeah, uh, hey, Fed Mike if you if you're listening, give me a call something to tell you. By the way, I hope you are listening.
Speaker 5: So but yeah, Dwayne Thomas, man, uh what do you what do you do that year?
Speaker 2: Let's see those are the good old h this is way after but you know the Hollywood Henderson's member from the Turning Priight, the Clinton long lease back like in seventy five.
Speaker 5: Is left Harris Charlie Waters remember the two safeties. Even when we were talking about this at at at lunch, I even remember the Charlie Harrison. Charlie Waters was number forty one.
Speaker 2: I knew that. Yeah, he was. He was tough as es. I don't know what I had for lunch, it was he was the Bosa. He was the Bosa of that time, kind of like a talk dude in the mid Yeah.
Speaker 5: But yeah, Charlie Waters and Cliff Harrison. They in the in the backfield. Uh, I was remembering. That's that Super Bowl. Remember it was a big deal, and we're getting way into the weeds on this. I remember it was a big deal that teams would make as home teams would make the Boys wear their blue jerseys because they were bad. They seem to be bad luck for the Cowboys. And so the Colts in that Super Bowl seventy one, the Colts had been moved to the a to the a FC right after the with the expansion and stuff and uh and or with with the merger, and so the Colts were the home team for the Super Bowl, but they wore their away uniform so that the Cowboys would have to wear their blue jerseys in the Super Bowl. And then the Colts beat them on a on a field goal at the at the buzzer, Who was that a Miami? Not very many people think it was in Miami. Yeah, I don't say it was what he tells, like seven years, you know, after a couple of years earlier, after you know, watching them lose to lose to the Jets and the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: You know, I was a huge Cowboys Colts fan.
Speaker 4: I mean I remember kicking it and I remember running around the house when they when they won sixty seventy one, seventy one.
Speaker 2: Okay, after that.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Former Arizona golfer beyond a Pag Dan Gannon is looking to get the Philippines their first ever gold medal in golf. She was a part of Arizona's twenty eighteen national championship team.
Speaker 4: So she's on, she's she's in the tournament. But what place is she right now?
Speaker 3: She's tied for twelfth place and two shots back of third place.
Speaker 5: I saw that a French golfer is in first place, which is kind of cool, you know.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that there's a.
Speaker 5: Lot of excitement around that, but yeah, olkay cool.
Speaker 3: The US has passed China for most gold medals and now lead twenty seven to twenty five.
Speaker 4: All right, how many more days do we know of the Olympics singing in Saturday or some Saturday? Okay, all right, that's all I got. It's it, okay, all right?
Speaker 2: What else? Is all there?
Speaker 4: Anything else?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: You know, just uh, I've been looking at some of the against some of the training camp stuff. It looks like this kid, the retchored freshman, I'm not evenna try and pronounce his name Tapa A two tai or something like that story Rhino. He's the he's kind of settled in as the starter and left tackle or to replace Jordan Morgan, as you know was Raymond Polito, uh, you know, being quote unquote unavailable this season. So it looks like that. You know, he's the look you gets. He's six five, three eleven, you know, I mean he's that's a that's a big kid. For ah, he's probably what eighteen nineteen at the most.
Speaker 2: There was only didn't used to get these kids, those big dudes.
Speaker 5: And these all you know, all these Polynesian kids, you know, him and Wendell Moe on the same side of the on the Uh, I didn't know Wendell mo was a Polynesian kid. So I saw a picture of them at the at the podium and the press conference, and I guess I just didn't pay attention. But you know, these are big dudes, big physical, aggressive, strong, mean dudes, and.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's what you need on the offense intel places and especially this position.
Speaker 5: Right he's the guy, he's the guy who's going to be protecting fafetas back side.
Speaker 2: Didn't you have the wrestling women's.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, that's one.
Speaker 5: Okay, the the the woman who beat Audrey Humanez tuc sons Audrey human Is to get to the again this I was alerted to this by my by my brother Jane Sarah hildem Rand. Uh she won the fifty kilogram gold medal. So the woman who beat Audrey Humanez actually won the gold so you know, you know, no slouch there for or.
Speaker 2: And I think Audrey Man Bravo, Roman Bravo is going to be today? Is I think today? And then I don't know the Little League game that happened, did it? I think I did?
Speaker 5: Wh Why wasn't Heavier giving up some play by play? I saw where the heck are you when we need you?
Speaker 2: He's teaching? Oh he's got school? Oh what the heck? Well you sometimes he sneaks away.
Speaker 8: Post that's if I'm looking them up to see if if anything.
Speaker 4: Came up on that. But uh.
Speaker 2: No, nothing yet yeah nothing, no.
Speaker 4: No, they're still having weather issues over there. That makes wait.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah it's rain, thank you hav here? What are you doing? School's out four o'clock postpone, get out of class and get on Twitter.
Speaker 7: Day.
Speaker 2: He's out of class postpone. That's right.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that's if.
Speaker 2: You're if you're how old you haven't yeah, if you're out, And then you're on the road and you haven't been on the road for a long time, and this is like two extra days of beat on the road for and not in school. Yeah, not in school. You're not you're not. You're not busting your butt, that's what they do.
Speaker 5: And then I got a note from our our correspondence out on the streets again, my brother Jeans saying that Roman Bravo Young wrestles at three am.
Speaker 4: Tonight tomorrow morning.
Speaker 5: Okay, so he'll get his first at his first match, and so we'll have that news tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Very cool.
Speaker 5: Hey, oh jesus see, I can remember Charlie Waters, but I cannot remember what I just was. Had something I was going to ask you, and it slipped away. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 2: All right, Okay, well, well let's we can go. Now, we can go. We're a little head of schedule. We're gonna get a hold of Kevin Lehman. Oh, we got a text. I gotta text him. He'll help you, he always says, give me a heads up. Yeah, all those old guys.
Speaker 5: I know, Yeah, we got somebody needs to remind us, to remind them what we need. All right, let's gohe and take our breakwork to come back to Doctor Kevin Lehman will be joining us and we'll try and get into your heads on this a little bit, so I'll stick around.
Speaker 9: The Windows Depot is more than a windows store.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot is a one stuff warehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shot the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project, need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodeled today. Shot the Windowdepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable if you want to start a collection or expand your collection. Check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 12: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three h eight seven Arizona BKO nine two nine four two Equal Housing opportunity to commitment to lindrixon credit rates and available loan programs are subject to change.
Speaker 2: The Connubers.
Speaker 13: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards idea center at two twenty eight West Dractman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: Gout bugs, termites, vs or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. Then use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Fast Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation Today.
Speaker 1: Streaming live I mean iHeartRadio app. This is High on the Ball with Steve Revella and Jacob Salz Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: He Hey, welcome back to Winding the Ball here. Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve you're Jay. You have Henry. Now we have doctor Kevin Leeman.
Speaker 7: How are you doctor?
Speaker 2: Maybe we don't are you okay? Are you there? Kevin?
Speaker 7: How are you? Guys?
Speaker 4: It sounds like you have your phone in your pocket or something.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know what's wrong. We're not have a good connection.
Speaker 2: It sounds echo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're kind of sound like you're in a cave or something. But I know, let's see.
Speaker 2: Don't work as long as I'm breaking up. Although are you walking around?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: You got potato chips?
Speaker 7: No, I'm good on my end. I don't know. We got a back.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we're fine. Hey, welcome to the show. But I know you're on the road or thanks for spending some time with us. We don't know what that background is. Hey, Kevin, can you call it?
Speaker 5: Do give us a call back? Five two zero four one six seventy four forty I'll text.
Speaker 2: You the number.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was strangehere. Well, you know we'll be moving here pretty soon. Hey. Yeah, that's a spanking dude. That's very cool. Yeah, we'll be a lot more capability. Welcome to twenty twenty four. Where are you serious?
Speaker 4: Okay, let's try again Kevins.
Speaker 2: Oh, jeez key, can you hear us?
Speaker 7: Kevin?
Speaker 14: It was Kevin heres and Chris Rogers phone.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, hey, we haven't gonna call back him.
Speaker 8: Try it again, Hang up the phone.
Speaker 2: That was that j R. Yeah, we need the phone line. Well he's always going to call this Welcome to a side of the ball. So well, I on this telephone call.
Speaker 5: With our with our nineteen sixties phone system here right, but damn my god, I don't know what to say anymore. I'm trying to get Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Kevin is a shoe. Yeah that's a little better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little better.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, thanks for coming to sew the we're on you're on the road. We had a we had a psychologist last week, the one that's doing the team right now. Have things change, how god, that sounds bad, sounds bad? But have things change in terms of what you deal with the team, Because it's my understanding you were the guy back in the day with the team.
Speaker 7: I'd have a you got an a lot of noise on it.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of noise on this line. Yeah, we hear it too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're here too. There's a lot of a lot of static on this line. I'm not sure what it is.
Speaker 2: Can you hear us? Though?
Speaker 7: I can hear you, but it sounds like there's a sun devil.
Speaker 2: On the line. No, no, How have things changed in your world from when you used to do that, you know, be with the team to today? What are the issues?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: What are the issues that they're dealing with today that maybe you didn't see so much.
Speaker 4: When you were doing this.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's just okay, it is all right my computer or something?
Speaker 2: Can you can you call us through your computer?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 8: Okay, give that a try. We'll see if we can get you on. Okay, you're another try.
Speaker 2: That's bizarre. It's something that's never really.
Speaker 5: Like somebody scratching the phone back there or whatever. But you know, we, I mean, we've talked about this a little bit, and but how much it has changed, Steve?
Speaker 2: You know the I mean by.
Speaker 5: The problem and the thing is these kids they're getting to college and they've already been through a ton of stuff and now they're going now they're at the high school level, they're dealing with ni L and agents, and then there's all the the you know, the pressure that's been coming from parents. There's there's you know, look, let's just say there's parents out there who are thinking, I got to make I got to get my kid to be a professional athlete so I can gravy train off of it and stuff like that, and the pressure that they put on their kids to do this.
Speaker 4: And we've seen it.
Speaker 5: I mean again, I saw there was another one of those videos. I think Andy Morales posted it. There's a wrestling match. I don't know if it's a state wrestling match or a club wrestling match or something, and you know, it's a it's a it's a phone video, and the ref stops the match and he's saying something to one of the kids. I don't know if he's giving him a warning or something like that. All of a sudden, the dad comes into the screen and knocks the crap out of the out of the ref, knocks him to the ground. I don't know if it happened recently, but it's a video that I saw for the first time.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, what are we doing? Why?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: And of course the kid, right, his kid probably got disqualified, right the embarrassment, right, you know the kid, Oh yeah, my dad beat up a ref. You know, what are we doing. And how many little league videos we've seen, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, I didn't see that.
Speaker 5: You know, there was one where, again a manager on a little league baseball team or a club baseball team goes out on the field, starts pushing the yump and the ump clocks him with his mask, right, and there's people yelling that the umpire should be arrested. But he's the one who got attacked, you know, and he was protecting himself and he clocked the dude with them, I mean, swung the mask and hit him right in the face. No, no, no, no, he had he had his mask you know, in his hand by the strap, and he swung it at him.
Speaker 2: So that was a local. None of these were love these videos that you see, and you see, well the pressure that these that these parents are putting on these kids, well kids and the helps. Look at we have the ref here maybe about a month ago. Yeah, the local two guys and all the all the crap that they do. Right, you know, what's the purpose of doing it if you're going to give that time?
Speaker 5: Right again, Somewhere along the line, the fun is getting lost in all of this stuff, you know. I mean, look, I remember my dad yelling at my games. But he was yelling at me, right, I didn't I don't remember ever hearing my dad yelling us. Yeah, you know, you throw a better pitch, you know, hit the ball.
Speaker 4: You know, those kinds of things.
Speaker 5: But you know, it's it's amazing, though, but there's so much it seems to be so much more at stake, you know, people putting again, putting this pressure on there. They're trying to change their lives through their kids athletics so often, whether it's through golf or baseball or basketball or whatever. And and it's crazy what's going on out there. It is and the and these kids are you having to go through this? And then you know, look, you don't think that Caleb Williams family wasn't trying to you know, wasn't using up some of the money that you know that he was making. This is a life changing thing for for his family. You know, when he was at trial, Henry, let's sake this.
Speaker 2: Hello, you're in the air. Got any better too, not really, but let's let's try this.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it is this, Yeah, I don't know if he can hear it, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Well maybe the question, Yeah, how things have changed when you used to be the team psychologist today? Do you think the change the same problem, different problems.
Speaker 4: Are the different problems different issues than when you were doing this?
Speaker 7: Well? Yeah, you know, I think I think the former coach Saban said it best at Alabama years ago and not many years ago, was hey, we're family, We're going to take care of you, you know, trying to have a relationship with family and kids. And today, of course it's the first question is how much you're gonna pay me? Right, So we're an uncharted waters young people. I think you used to seek out the advice of others a little bit more years ago than they do now. It's it's simply dollars and cents, so it's convoluted. Who knows how this is going to work. It's interesting. I think the fans are going to show up, Whether the big guys with money are going to show up and pay for all this? It means to be seen.
Speaker 5: Are coaches do you think are they more or less equipped to handle some of these things? And because the issues are bigger right, the money has become such a big issue. How much are they going to play because it's costing you money? Are the coaches equipped to handle all this stuff?
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 7: You know? You break it up so bad. I'm embarrassed. I'm sorry we're having technical difficult but it's really difficult.
Speaker 2: I was asking if you think the coach.
Speaker 5: I was asking if you think the coaches are equipped to handle some of this stuff now or less equipped or more?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: No, coaches, No, coaches are doing their very best. You know, it's just another world. They're learning to fly a seven forty seven mid air. I mean they're flying blind in a lot of ways. They're learning a lot of guys who are relational. The more relational the coach is, the better off he's going to be. He's got to know how to handle young people who don't always think down the road. They think for the immediate gratification. It goes back to dollars and cents again. So I've met our head coach. I think he's very relational. I think there's coaches he's got surrounding or are very very good. Bobby Wade is top self. Can't beat the guy. I've known Bobby since he was a kid, and I think for u of A, I think it's going to be in pretty good shapes. This year is to be fun. I hope the Wildcat fans will get out to support him like we know we can, and we'll see what happens. But it did live in the world. We're all going to be learning things. Next year we'll have a little different perspective.
Speaker 2: So, so, doctor, what were the biggest issues back in the day? Did you do that question?
Speaker 7: Well, Steve's setting out, I can hear Jem's best.
Speaker 5: Okay, what were the biggest issues that are the toughest issues that you dealt with back in the day?
Speaker 7: Back in the day was uh, Well, back in the day, we had in local parentis you know where. I was a DTA students for ten years there, and when players got out of sorts, the coach would send him over to me and I would talk straight to them. And there were times when I got involved with the family and I was pretty consistent and guys knew where I should. I really didn't have much problem with athletes per se. In fact, my training was as a head resident. They gave me the football team and the year before there were so many troubles in that dorma was unbelievable. But when we came in, maybe call it luff or whatever, But we tried hard to treat the kids with respect, and we had high standards of the kids. The ball players and most of them just fell in line, and we had great communication and great relationships with the kids. And the ball players knew that the football coaches and these students were on the same team. So there wasn't any way like sometimes kids will use one angle against the other. That didn't happen back in those days. We were eight conquers and we had action, and the kids were discip needed discipline. They got it. It was real simple. But again, that whole picture is changed.
Speaker 2: Well, today it's more of a depression, money things like that. Back then you didn't have that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was saying that, it seems like there's more issues like dealing with a lot more depression money issues, you know, playing time issues because it means money, those kinds of things.
Speaker 4: Is that there wasn't as much of that back in the day, was there.
Speaker 7: Yeah? I couldn't hear all that.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry, that's okay, But it seemed like the issues then were more about playing time, girlfriends.
Speaker 4: Now it's money and livelihoods and things depression.
Speaker 7: Well, let's say though. We've seen ballplayers who were committed to Arizona from other schools and they would sign and not the kid who was a five star and from the four store starts four star kid or the Sea star kid without the back door he left. Right, they're just looking for the NFL. They all have visions of grandeur at every level from literally gone up. Trust me. Yeah, and parents are part of the problem. They're no two ways about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we were just saying that, right.
Speaker 7: Definitely, the parents ston't house. The parents today don't do a great job of, quite frankly, disciplining their children. If you love your kids, you're going to discipline them. If you're a coach, if you love your kids, you're going to discipline them. Without discipline, without authority, you can't run a football team, a business, a radio station, a marriage, any kind of relationship. There has to be a respect for authority, not authoritarianism, not permissiveness, but a forty which is that my yes is yes and my no is no. Here my clear expectations, this is what I expect of you. And uh. As one football player told me years ago, he said, I love these coaches. They all treat me the same way badly.
Speaker 5: Well, and Kevin, you know you're a deal with a situation now where a college coaches quarterback might be making a million dollars a year.
Speaker 4: How much harder is it going to be to discipline that quarterback?
Speaker 7: Well, that's part of the problem we've got. You've got ballplayers making a lot more money to you and all of the assistant coaches on a ballgame. So you know, we'll see how this flies. I don't know. I hope for the best. I love college sports. I'm excited about the new season, but it is a different world and we're going to be all learning as we go at each a week.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well when you come back, we'll get you back when you get better rich.
Speaker 7: Yeh doing the studio all right? I love you guys, take care.
Speaker 4: Of thank Kevin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was weird, very sure that I've never heard anything like that, But I hope, I hope you know some of our listens some of those. But but you know you've you've you've said that a million times though. How are you going to tell the quarterback to get his crap together if he's making more than your quarterback coach?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? And he coach I already know are you? Come on, we were nineteen eighteen and I was one of those guys. You know, I already know it. You don't tell me. I'm the smartest guy in the room. You don't have to tell me.
Speaker 4: Well, didn't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, exactly right, he didn't do it. And if you don't do it, guess what, there's a dude behind you.
Speaker 4: Ye, possibly will do it. Yeah, you probably will.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then that million dollar check you were getting you're not getting.
Speaker 2: Drives up.
Speaker 4: It drives Upeah, you're out of here right here.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I mean, the issues are huge, and it is going to take as Kevin's, it's going to take a long adjustment period and it's going to take years for this to settle in as the way you do things.
Speaker 2: So one of the things I wanted to ask him to ask him next time. We've asked coaches this, when you go to games, how do you watch a game? How would he watch a game? Or when he goes to practice? Know he was there for told me a lot he was there to watch. Did he watch the interaction with the players and the coaches? Did he did he watch the game? There's like you and I as a spectator or how he watches the game because players, how people get interacted with one another, It is huge. It has a lot to do with it.
Speaker 5: And you know, and that's what you know when when you're coming out of camp, you know these you know, our media friends are talking about how it just seems like this coaching staff, as as as Kevin was saying, it seems to be very relatable with the players. They're they're talking to the players and that they're seeing a connection and you know, we need to go out there and see it for ourselves. But uh, you know, maybe that's going to be more important than ever Steve where Yeah, the money is important and being able to pay these guys is going to be important, but it's also going to be very important that if you're paying these guys, that there's a relationship between coach and player that isn't going to allow them to be productive.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, No, the guy's getting paid and not getting paid how to feel comfortable with what they what they're doing they're playing for It's just like us in regular life. Yeah, if you have a boss that's a good boss and you're able to do make mistakes and learn and not get you know Chastis or whatever. That's that's pretty good, yeah, because you get to learn on the fly er. You know, how do you learn right? Kind of by going do it doing, by doing, I make a mistake, right.
Speaker 5: All right, let's take her break. Sorry about all the feedback on that call, but hopefully you got something out of it, and then we'll be back and to Steve and I'll take you in to the rest of the show.
Speaker 4: So come on back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one mail me at Steve Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: TI This is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot.
Speaker 2: Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member, and.
Speaker 16: You could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today. That really insured and CUA. Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 11: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 2: For over twenty years.
Speaker 11: We want you to join the action. A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part.
Speaker 2: Time job or a second income.
Speaker 11: Come be a part of a winning team the A Team apply online today at A Team security dot net.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez sound Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while Just Surgery I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my on the mall Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, He's Jake def Henry and the phone is still here. I don't know what the hell's going on with it.
Speaker 5: I felt like we were talking through a tin can with a string. Right, it's like this, yeah, exactly what's that win going? Or like again, it sounds like somebody had their phone in their pocket.
Speaker 4: What the hell's going on?
Speaker 5: I want to give a little plug on this because it is a sort of a family thing because my my daughter in law works at at Benjamin Supply, former a former sponsor of the show. They're having a meat this is this is your I guess, your prototypical nil opportunity for for these guys. But there's a meet and greet on Saturday at Benjamin Supply from from one to four one thirty to four. Benjamin Supply is a local business. They sell well, it's a you know, plumbing products, bathtubs, you know a bathroom, you know, faucets and things like that. A long time business here. But five you have a football player's t Ma mac Noah fa Fida, Speedy, Luke, Jonas, Savanea and Trey Smith defensive linemen are all going to be there. Signing autographs, doing all kinds of stuff. There's information about this on Facebook if you look up Benjamin Supply. But you know, again, these are the kinds of things that are supposed to be what nil is. Right, You're gonna pay for these athletes to come and promote your product and they get paid for that, and that's you know, that's what these things are supposed to be, not what it's become, which is, oh, we want you to be our quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Let's ge you a million dollars, right, But that's exactly But this is what it was supposed to be. And so there this event.
Speaker 5: If you want to go meet these guys, I think you have to, you have to go on I think go on Facebook and actually get a ticket. They're free, but it says registration required, limited space available.
Speaker 2: It's Facebook on Benjamin Supplies.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm well, I'm seeing it through my my my daughter in law's Facebook account, but if you search Benjamin Supply.
Speaker 2: I'm on there. They're trying to sell me a steam shower eighteen. Actually I liked it for the price of twenty eighteen. That's the est thing they have posted.
Speaker 5: Or or go to the I'm sure if you go to the Benjamin Supply website, you will you'll you'll find it.
Speaker 4: But this meet greet again is on is on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Have you been with those steam showers? They're pretty cool.
Speaker 4: He's got up on the steam.
Speaker 2: Hey wait, there's a boday. Be back.
Speaker 4: You know they're trying to sell me a good day.
Speaker 2: I don't want a bid day. You'd be on it all the time.
Speaker 4: I'll be right back anyway. So all right, So.
Speaker 2: There's this event, is it? You know, there's a chance to go meet those guys. Right.
Speaker 5: It says they're gonna do autographs. They said a new collection launch. You can get your picture taken with them. There's gonna be it, says some light bites. This is hosted by one of their suppliers, a company called Premiere Copper Products. But Benjamin supplies host and Benjamin supplies over here. It's just off of a Stone and sixth Street, just west of just east of sixth Street. You can't miss the building.
Speaker 4: It's got a.
Speaker 5: Big mural on the side of the whole bit. So there you go. There's my plug. Did it for my for my daughter, uh Aubrey who works my daughter in law, Aubrey who works there.
Speaker 4: He is the mother of my grandson. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, we have thirteen minutes. If you guys want to attempt to call us, please do. The phone should be working. It just didn't work for for he was so he was in New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not that that matters, right, technology, you know. And then we'll take another Jr. Call from Chris Rogers.
Speaker 4: You know, that was kind of funny that he got that in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you held up you knew exactly what he was doing.
Speaker 4: God all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So more Olympics tonight. Again we mentioned the Roman Bravo Young For all of you who want to set your alarm for three o'clock in the morning, he'll be wrestling. I presume it'll be on you know, on Peacock or.
Speaker 4: One and one of the channels.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and he's wrestling from Mexico for those who were wondering. His grandfather is a Mexican citizen, so Roman Bravo Young has got dual Mexican citizenship.
Speaker 2: So good for him, and good luck to him, man, good luck.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I saw a list there's no Arizona athletes, and by that I mean you have University of Arizona athletes have won any medals in the Olympics. There was a listing of West Coast teams like Stanford athletes have won twenty one of them or something like that.
Speaker 2: Some crazy even a was one of them, right because of the swimmer, Yeah, the swimmer swimmer? Yeah, okay, uh And people we were talking about so Robo is working doing for Mexico. The kid who who did the poll tho DC the world record that he goes to l s U And they were saying, again, you know, people have everything to complain about. He was he was Denmark. I can't remember who the country he was doing, But how come he wasn't.
Speaker 4: A U S A U S guy?
Speaker 2: Really not? Everybody's from here exactly exactly right, right.
Speaker 5: And and again you know, look, the competition is tough in the US, if I mean the picture from the U of a what's her name.
Speaker 2: Who pitch for Mexico. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the lefty Yeah that girl, that girl, Yeah, she just got married. She's now coaching California.
Speaker 5: She's been on our show, Steve, what the hell that means?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Henry has been what is looking at God?
Speaker 5: I'm trying to go. I'm trying to go through our pictures here. I I can picture her face, I have her face, and I can't. I can't. I can't get her name.
Speaker 2: I want to able to stop. No, you're lefty?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, yeah there she just showed up Daniell o'tool Yeah yeah, o'tooley they called her. But you know she pitched for Mexico. Look, you know Josh you know Josh Okay, Josh Green, he's playing for He's playing for Australia, right, I mean it's just like, so, what get to get to the Olympics and and go in and metal?
Speaker 2: How much effort do you have? Did you hear how they bow?
Speaker 5: And then and then on the other side of it, France boot that has been booing the hell out of Joel Embiid because he decided to play for the US.
Speaker 4: Instead of playing for France. No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how much effort and whether it's any effort to get on your computer or your phone and bitch about it because it takes it takes some you can take some effort, right right right? And what does that get up? Not a damn Honestly, I I can't remember. I posted something on Facebook or or Twitter. Uh, anybody's opinion. It falls on the fears. But I know that it's important for.
Speaker 4: We hear him. Though Steve talked about him. We go, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 2: What are you thinking? And what does it matter?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: What? What you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What does the matter? What the hell? I think? It's like, Jim, I'm glad he didn't say I was cranky two three years ago.
Speaker 8: You think matters to me? Steve, that's a big live, that's a big life. If it did you pay attention for it. Indeed, no, no, you do. I do. Let's not get ALTERI.
Speaker 4: Hery's going. Can we just finish this? I get the hell out of here.
Speaker 8: He's got that look, he's got that look all right now, Look but you're right, I mean, you know, but it's it's just kind of where.
Speaker 4: We are, Steve.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, you know, I don't want to get into all the presidential election stuff, but you know, the minute the VP candidate was announced, all of a sudden, there's all this stuff just reading him over, you know, the littlest things, and everybody does it, right, It's none on every as they say, both sides of the Aisle, right, you know, and it's like God, people, can we put some effort into just making this a better place, Maybe take.
Speaker 2: Care of your kids. So so there was a post yesterday that I saw. You know, it's kind of funny, just an interesting question to me. What when did we all become experts that stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably when Twitter was invented, was Facebook was invented, and we thought our opinion mattered, and you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, you could throw your stuff out there and you knew, you knew somebody out there was reading. You felt you had credibility because somebody was reading.
Speaker 2: I especially take heart to the people who have two friends on Facebook or Twitter and they're posting. No one gets a crap what you think. You don't have two friends. Even your friends don't care. It's not like DoD who created and I probably know who that is, created the Facebook Facebook brand to tell me that I was that I hated Tommy Lloyd?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I told you this about two months ago. Some guy I think I know who it is, created a Facebook of a profile sent me a note that he could do it right, and he sent me I said, this is odd. He says, why why am I so negative? On Tommy Lloyd, it have to be in March, And I think, what makes you say that? He says, listen to the radio. I says, could you show me where? And he couldn't, obviously, And I said that couldn't be further from the truth. I said, do you are you mistaking him for Sean? Because Tommy, I think the world of He's done a fantastic job. In fact, I often say he's the guy that needed to come here to kind of fix the things that were going wrong. And I'm thinking, either that guy is not paying attention or he kind of wanted to get And I think I know who it is. But if you have to just tell me, Jim tells me. People tell me I'm pulling it. You don't have to create a Facebook Facebook quickly. And I know it's not my real friends, because guess what they would do. They would tell me, and I would respect you more because you did it to me. You told me exactly. But I think I know he knows me, but he didn't want to be that guy to which doesn't really matter to me.
Speaker 4: That's kind of cool that you have somebody like that, like a stalker or something.
Speaker 2: Well, but the thing is I would have been okay with it had it been true.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it wasn't true.
Speaker 2: It's not true. I think the world of time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I hear you. Yeah, I mean that's you know again, that's where we are.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: Well, if I say blue and you think I said red, that's not on me, that's that's on you.
Speaker 4: Well no, because you might say blue and it might be red.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's true because I have a colored lad what color is that blue?
Speaker 7: Red?
Speaker 8: Let's say I keep making fun of your disability or whatever. You know, it's bad, like your peak shirt, your purple pitch exactly, my lavender shirt that you thought was peach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that wasn't in the color of the crayon color scheme. Back then we only had.
Speaker 5: Twelve the sixty four Did you ever get the sixty four bucks with the sharpener that was the coolest thing? Yeah, I mean, look, if you had sixty six see four box of crayons, your whole neighborhood thought you were something, that you were the coolest thing on the planet. And then bring their coloring book coloring books over and there'd be like four people with their coloring books and all working out of the same box. It'd be fighting over the silver, right, because there was one silver crayon, one copper crayon, one gold crayon, and everybody wanted those because those weren't in any other any well.
Speaker 2: Ye sixty four to twos from yeah, yeah, I think I was only twelve twelve color? Did you ever eat paste?
Speaker 5: Oh white out of that? Because there was a kid I like, I remember. I remember this guy. I can picture him in the first grade. He would eat you know, because you'd get paste and then give you a piece of paper and then they just slap some paste on there for whatever.
Speaker 2: This kid would eat it. No, I don't what are you doing? Didn't you when you were a kid that we're talking stupid? On the room? Were talking the McDonald's the cups or tops, and they had the figurines of like the hamburglar. Yeah, and then you kind of use the glue to kind of make the molding of yeah yeah, yeah, stuff like that. But I've never tasted that stuff.
Speaker 4: I didn't eat weird stuff like that. Anyways. All right, we went off the rails right there. Okay, so so what now, Steve?
Speaker 2: We got four minutes and he calls play save us from ourselves tomorrow we have we don't have anybody yet, right, but you'll be going Friday.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm out on Friday.
Speaker 2: I have a guest host with me and see what we come up with going to San Diego. Steve, it's gonna be cool for cool. You gonna spend a little bit more money for the economy. Yeah, yeah, maybe Cee d say hello to d Are you gonna be there with the weekend?
Speaker 5: Just suggested the weekend. We're just you know what, We're going to look for an apartment for my daughter. She got to find a place to a place to live. She starts your job at San Diego State at the end of the month.
Speaker 2: If there's a place to go, that is the place to go to get a job and to have fun for.
Speaker 5: Very exciting because you know, look for those of you have kad kids just graduating from college, looking for looking for the first job and stuff like that when they get it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, I don't know what.
Speaker 5: It's one of those one of those things as a parent that's right up there with having a kid, right that here's your you know, here's your kid that you're putting out into the world now. And uh, you know, my daughter Rachel decided she wanted to get out of town work at a she she was looking. She just went out of town and she wanted to go to into Phoenix or southern California. And it was a slog in terms of finding the job.
Speaker 2: But you found one, especially at this time, this time of the year or whatever, because the job market's not right. And so she she started to say, you'll be working in Wall Street in Manhattan, don't worry about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she she got she got hired in the media relations office of the San Diego State Athletic Department. And she starts her job there at at the end of the month. She's got to be there in time for the first football game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nice, not congressions to Richel. We're excited for her.
Speaker 2: So if you're not in the market in Manhattan, Henry, you're working the O T B at that corner of across from the Madison Square Guard, you probably know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Does he knows? He knows exactly what that.
Speaker 2: Is New York. Yeah, it's crazy. How many times have you been to Madison Square Guard? Tons? Tons? Have you been there? Never been there? It's to me I'm sorry to say this, Henry. I've been direct five six times for N I T games. Again, it smells it smells.
Speaker 6: Like New York.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's funny to bring it because that was my first experience at Yankee Stadium. Okay, right, because I'm thinking Yankee Stadium. You know, this is Yanks Oh the Yankee Stadium, Yankee Stadium. And we we uh uh you know, we get there and you walk into the stadium and I'm like, am you know, am I stepping in in urine?
Speaker 4: I mean, it just smell bad. You know.
Speaker 5: Now you got walk into the stadium and it's magnificent, right you see it the color of the Mickey mantle and the the overhang and all that stuff. And it was it was like, okay, this is the cold, but you know under the stadium where the score snack bars are and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that. I mean it was just like yeah, yeah, you know, that's how Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 5: I was kind of expecting that to be at Fenway Park, but it wasn't. Fenway Park was uh, you know, they clearly they want to keep the stadium around, so you know, very clean, uh, very old, right, old and cramped, but clean. Dodger Stadium is like that too, Dodger State. Walking around Dodgers Stadium is like walking around Disneyland. That's how clean it is, you know, you know how clean they keep Disneyland all the time. Similar kind of thing. Dodger statums opened in nineteen sixty two, you know, sixty sixty some years ago.
Speaker 4: So you know, but I hear it.
Speaker 5: I haven't been into into my I've been by Madison Square Garden, but I never got.
Speaker 2: A chance to go. So Bill sent you a note. You sent me a note to talking about the Dodgers. Oh no, yeah, the the snakes. The snakes are coming back. The Diamondbacks go away. Yeah, they're they're going to catch the Dodgers go away. Sorry to Bill to disappoint you, Henry. What's the biggest moment in that We've got about ten seconds. The biggest moment in medicine's regarding your game.
Speaker 6: I saw the Rangers in hockey go to the fund.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're hockey. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Also, I've been to some good college games best Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun. Okay, cool. We called it today another day.
Speaker 5: We made it through, all right, we'll be back tomorrow. Uh you know who knows what will have for you, but we'll have something right to them.
Speaker 4: You have to, all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being here today. We'll see you tomorrow.