Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you once again by Decanted Jugwine and my return to the mic after a three month hiatus. Oh my goodness, and four months without a cigarette. I have missed being here. I am your host Charles Tyson Junior, and I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. I should say welcome back to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: At least for me, I was gonna say, I've been here.
Speaker 1: You've been holding it down. Yeah, there's no question you have been holding things. So much has happened. We last recorded right at the end of August. About two weeks later, I left my job. Yeah, I was invited to leave my job, which is a whole story. Don't work for CIS people. If you happen to be trans it doesn't often does not end well, especially when they're trumpers. That part, yeah, so tried to have that not get in the way, and yet you know it always does. Yeah, but I've been nesting.
Speaker 2: You've been nesting hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did quit smoking on July twenty fifth, and I have not had a cigarette since then.
Speaker 2: Congratulations.
Speaker 1: I have had my little vape now and again, but that's okay. I don't inhale, so maybe I mean, I'm breathing much better. I'm not coughing, I'm not hacking. I'm not you know. So you know I love that. I'm going to say it's better. It is better. Yeah, And it doesn't stink up the house.
Speaker 2: And your energy level has improved.
Speaker 1: Oh god, you well, not working helps too. Well, there's that I've been baking. You've been baking in like a lot of bread, painting and painting and well every project that I mean, the story of us moving into this house was interesting. And you know, we had we got our hardwood floors refinished and thank god, before we moved anything in, and then we were trying to paint everything. And when I called a moving company, they had had a cancelation. And I want to say I called in December and it was like January twenty first or June right, And I was like, oh, well, June right. So we scurried to get ready and to finish packing and to get you know, and to do all that, and we had to pivot and we did not get to finish painting. And we had rooms in various stages of finished. Truth. Some of them I've slowly gotten done. Some of them haven't been touched. So I'm touching them.
Speaker 2: Yes you are.
Speaker 1: I am good touch. I'm finishing. I started in the laundry room because that's right there at the back door. Then I'm working my way through. The kitchen is looking good. The kitchen, I've been cleaning in the basement to kind of get things organized so I know where stuff is. So yeah, I'm nesting. I've had a couple of people, you know, kind of contacted me about working and I'm like, cold, we tuk in January, maybe right February. But it's been good. And it's been and if one more person says you look so arrested, I'm like, how stressed did I look? Because I didn't realize I was. I mean, I actually loved my job.
Speaker 2: Well you did, and you took it very seriously and you were do it hard at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did. I really did. Have you know, a run in with one person and you know, I pushed my luck there for almost three years. Just get I don't keep my mouth shut and I don't compromise, and it was a very challenging environment where it was impossible to do the job exactly correctly. And you cannot cut a corner and betrayance. So I will say that that's a shirt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you cannot cut a corner and betran We.
Speaker 1: There are different rules, I promise you. So it is what it is, right, and so much has been happening, but that was part of it. Part of it was losing the job and just kind of figuring all that out and getting my feet back under me a little bit. I wasn't devastating. I kind of was like, well, what's next, right, I mean, okay. The hard part and the ego stroking part has been the clients that I miss so much. And pretty much every one of them has reached out to me in one way or another, and they come to our monthly dinners or they join us on our Thursday evening calls, and so I am still in touch with them. It's just, you know, we were doing really good work together and that hurts. Yeah, that hurts, Yeah, because it's not going that way now.
Speaker 2: But the way the universe worked, like right as you were leaving your job, you received not one, but two awards.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, that happened in rapid succession. Yeah. So on October Thursday, Joey Pirella and I were honored Friend of the Pod by Garden State Equality. Joey and I do the monthly spaghetti dinners together, and Garden State Equality gave us a Inequality and Motion Award, as I guess, community Partners, activists whatever, specifically for the dinners. And then a week later, so October tenth, I believe, Yeah, Philadelphia Gay News named Elizabeth and I as two of the forty nine most influential leaders in the LGBT community.
Speaker 2: I believe they referred to as a trans rites warrior. That is, yes, that's what the plaque says. I got two plaques in October.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The timing was interesting because I knew about the PGN one and then I got the text about the Garden State Equality one, and I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: My favorite moment was when I was getting ready and I was like, now, wait, which award is.
Speaker 1: This that you're getting today? You know?
Speaker 2: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: It was? It was fun. It was good. It was I mean, it's humbling and gratifying and it was lovely, really truly. There were you know, two ceremonies and they were both really nice and I'm very grateful. Yeah and yeah, And it's the juxtaposition of those things happening pretty much at the same time, within a couple of weeks of each other.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what's helped you. It's you never had to have that moment where you didn't know who you were.
Speaker 1: No, no, I don't forget that anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good.
Speaker 1: And you know, the award from PGN was really, I believe centered around we. You know, we picked up the support group that Elizabeth and I facilitate and moved it basically, you know, we started our own situation and you know, our active membership moved right along with us. So that was important and that work continues. And then the dinner, which I was allowed, you know, was under the auspices of my employer because they provided the space. I said, that's mine. And what did I have ten days if that to find a new location let people know, and we did. We did not skip a month if I had to cook spaghetti here and have everyone here at the house. I would have just to not have a gap.
Speaker 2: I have no idea how the hell that would have worked.
Speaker 1: It would have been tight. But you know, we found a new location right in Collins. Would it's even more convenient than anything else we've ever had because it's you know, the train is right there, so it's accessible to a lot more people. We've had record crowds. We had fifty five people show up for the dinner again with a week's notice or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, the humorous part for me was when your your job was like, but what are we going to do about the dinner? And you like, who we?
Speaker 1: Who is this we? There is no we anymore. You just took my bad work. Yeah, and and that's that's just that. There's so much more I could say, but I won't. You know, it's been it's been interesting. Uh, it's been enough has gotten back to me that you know, Uh, they're scrambling a lot and good.
Speaker 2: Well, when it takes eight people to do the job of one person and they only.
Speaker 1: Have two, it's it's beyond that. I mean, my colleagues, I've heard from all of the colleagues that I worked closely with with a lot of support, and that's also been amazing. So I again, it's it's really a situation of something more and different is happening and com and it's what's next, indeed, And so the next logical thing was let's make room for that, because you know, it's it's weighed heavily on me that this house is still not organized the way I need it to be organized. Like we're still not there, right and well, the contents of my office are still sitting in a pile in the living room, and I don't I need to know where my stuff is and I need to put away. And so we're getting there and put what you want room by room and making lots of donations in the process and having some pretty big bulk trash day. Yeah. I installed a toilet upstairs. I haven't just been you know.
Speaker 2: You've been leaning into the Martha of it all.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah right, the butcher Martha of it all. I know, Martha. Yeah yeah, Well because the toilet started leaking upstairs and that's not good. Yeah, so we stopped and did that.
Speaker 2: But you also made it. And this is the part I love you. You rolled up your sleeves and put on your your your butcher girl draws and and and went to fix the toilet, but you made sure that the new toilet was cute.
Speaker 1: It is cute.
Speaker 2: The dichotomy is the important thing.
Speaker 1: I love that they make things now that they just didn't used to make, right. And one of them is this toilet that I bought because the upstairs bathroom is shall we say, compact, and.
Speaker 2: Especially if you're tall.
Speaker 1: If you are tall, you were somewhat inclined to sit side saddle because your knees hit the wall in front of you.
Speaker 2: A picture of you're sitting there with your legs crossed and an umbrella.
Speaker 1: I used to wonder, like how do you fix that? You know, like do you have to move the whole arrangement in the floor and get a corner toilet? Like how do you fix that? And now they make these smaller compact toilets that are only like twenty four inches from the wall, and it solved the problem, yep. And yeah, it was a little bit more money, but not hideously so. I mean, like I think it was two hundred instead of one hundred for the really cheap one, but.
Speaker 3: A fun size toilet, it's yeah, but it does the job.
Speaker 1: Completely and it has the little you know, dual flush and it's a water savor and all that, and it's cute. It is cute. It matches the cute little sink that I put up there last year. Now I'm loving it. That was a fun day too because I had Tory over here, a trans lesbian with a tool belt, and yeah, we did that together, the sink, and we did the dishwasher together too, installed the new just new, the new to us dishwasher.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, that's the thing. It's like, if you have trans girls working for you, you're going to end up on top. If you have lesbians working for you, you're going to end.
Speaker 1: Up on top, and trans beions forget.
Speaker 2: If you have trans lesbians chaw you could change the world.
Speaker 1: It's true what we are exactly we are. We I'm trying to think. Last week was Trans Day of Remembrance, which is November twentieth, and my dear darling, Elizabeth and I had a conversation at the Unitarian Church not far from us and for their vigil and service, and we recorded it so maybe we'll maybe that'll get released, oh shared when we can. Beds. I think it's about fifty minutes long. But it was really just a conversation between two old trans worlds basically and good from what I hear, I was kind of in the moment. Yeah, I have to listen to it. That happened, So I'm still out there. We just had our third spaghetti dinner in our new spot this past Sunday. It was successful. Yeah, I mean we have not had fewer than what forty five since we changed locations, so actually we're seeing more people than ever, and it's been new faces every time, and we're always seeing new faces and it's just an important thing. And then you know P Flag last night again a couple of new faces and those things. All of it kind of intertwines.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I have many of the same people that come to P Flag that also come to the dinner. Several of them are part of Transformation Collective, which is our group, and that is also now the umbrella for the dinners, and we have a five O one say three sponsor and we're doing all those things, doing the they doing this things. Yeah, so we kept it going and it has continued to grow and it's really important. Community building could not be more important than it is right now. Agreed, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then in terms of the show, like, since you've been on your unofficial.
Speaker 1: Hiatus, we do want to record. Now I'm scripting Paint.
Speaker 2: We've had a couple of really cool interviews. We spoke to doctor Alfred L. Martin, good friend of the pod and friend in real life, and we talked about his book about black fandoms, a book that I was in ye or that I am in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you still are, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because there's a section about black fandom among the Golden Girls. Lord knows that's me. And then I spoke to Olivi Blake about her book Girl Dinner the Cannibal Sorority.
Speaker 1: Yes, fun, it was fun.
Speaker 2: And then you know, I've been just to keep our audience engaged, our new listeners and our returning listeners, just to let y'all know we're still there for you. I've been re broadcasting some past interviews from notable figures.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I love that. It's kind of like the greatest hits. We've been playing those and now we actually have an audience to hear them, so.
Speaker 2: Exactly like you know the fact you just came along.
Speaker 1: You may not have gone back that far in the archives.
Speaker 2: Right, We've got one hundred and fifty plus episodes for you to check out. And you know, the catalog is formidable.
Speaker 1: And you know, things have been happening so rapid fire, and it's all so bizarre and so insane that discussing it even was for my own mental health and well being just something I needed to kind of not do for a bit. And I get that. Yeah, I just just not think about it, not talk about it, not you know, comb through it and decided like, hey, what did we talk about this week? I needed that break.
Speaker 2: Right, and we can ease our way into it with this episode.
Speaker 1: We are, Yeah, yeah, we are because we have a lot to cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this list is long. I've been going through it and be like, well, that ain't even news no more.
Speaker 3: Neither is that.
Speaker 1: Right? Some of the trash took itself out, you know, like things do resolve and there's some great good news that is happening, you know, So again, don't just read the headlines. You got to get past that. You got to you got to read, you know, you got to keep reading and find out what the follow up is. And you know I just read just we were, you know, getting ready to record that, uh, Trump is expect extending the whole thing we had to shut down over, which was that, you know, renewing the I guess subsidies, extra subsidies for Obamacare. Guess what he just did. He's doing He's renewing them for two years. They have no plan, right, They never had a plan. They never had a health care plan. They never planned to have a healthcare plan. And frankly, Obamacare is their plan because he stole from the Heritage Foundation. So boo. But yeah, so now we're after all of that who struck what, you know, the elections, Even even that adult brain seems to be aware of waning popularity, right because damn, damn numbers are in the toilet for that man.
Speaker 2: And those is officially done.
Speaker 1: I know. And you know what, I hope that gets sorted out and we take those people to task because we still don't really realize the full impact of what they did. Because I will tell you this, Doge. I blame Doge for the fact that I don't work at my job anymore because we were under a grant that we and you know, we hit every measure of the grant, but Doge took away a whole bunch of money from the division you know demas the Division of Mental Health and Human and Addiction Services, yep, just took it. Yeah, because it was initially COVID money. Well, they were using that COVID money in very constructive and creative and important ways and serving communities like this one that had never been served, especially in addiction treatment. And you know, we were having groundbreaking results. But it all basically has gone away now because why because the grant went away? Because why because doge right? Yeah, there was no government efficiency and a lot of mental health programming and a lot of addiction treatment programming has been cut and reorganized and some entire organizations gone away, and we're gonna be feeling this. Oh yeah, we're gonna notice this as time goes by, the destruction that they wrought. And I do I hope they all wind up on charge charges. I hope they all wind up in jail for what they've done. Right, And they only did it so billionaires could strip us of more.
Speaker 2: Money, right, because it's not like, you know, uh, that organization was spending the COVID money on frivolous things like oh, I don't know, a fucking ballroom.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, like that like that. There's your tax dollars at work, but you know.
Speaker 2: And then again not even that because no one got paid.
Speaker 1: Well shocker, here's the thing. Uh, But I digress. Yeah, we'll get there. The Republicans had their ass handed to them earlier this month, and they should and I hope it keeps happening, you know. And that's not to say we don't you know, we've got to roll our sleeves up as a nation. I literally just did, and you did. No one said the patriarchy was going to die quietly, no one. You know, we've talked about the last gasps of it might look like it looks like this, and it you know, it's up to all of us collectively to make sure they are the last gaps. And you know, sure and a more compassionate era.
Speaker 2: Well, how many times have I said, you want to start a war? Tell a white man? No.
Speaker 1: I talked at p Flag last night about you know, And it's kind of like, bear with me with the logic. But in a way, all the Michigoths that the Republicans have stirred up in tormenting the fuck out of trans people has also meant more people than ever have a much better understanding of us you know, have been now know a whole lot of facts information about us that they never would have bothered to know otherwise. So in some ways they've really done a lot of educating. Not on purpose, god knows, because they've been doing nothing but lying about us, but people of goodwill who have gone and educated themselves and you know, figured out what the truth actually is, probably wouldn't have done that without them. Right, unintended consequences, right can be positive, It's true. Yeah, silver linings, silver linings. So we have a long list of folks we lost.
Speaker 2: And we can't even go into depth. I didn't want to take anyone off because everyone deserves to be recognized.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we're going to bang through it. Giorgio Armani, ninety one years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was back in early September.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Polly Holiday, Polly Holiday from Alice. Yeah, most famously as known as Flow from Alice. But I also think of her on her stint on the Golden Girls, when she was Rose's friend sister cousin. Okay, that relationship was never really clear, but she was blind and she was trying to depend on Rose for everything, and they had to teach her how to Finn for herself.
Speaker 1: Polly Holiday, Rest in peace. Robert Redford, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Robert Redford passed away, Hollywood Royalty.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, but you know, a long life that we celebrate because he was what eighty nine, eighty nine years old and we should all get eighty nine years Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still back in September, Charlie Kirk is dead, uh huh. And then asa Asada Chaqueur passed away. She was a formidable activist, revolutionaire, Tupac's godmom. That whole like running thing about you know, disappearing to Cuba. She started with her.
Speaker 1: She died in Cuba. Yeah, as seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she did. She was about it, about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was Jane Goodall, Jane Goodall passed away, who was ninety one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the foremost authority on Primates, and she actually had a little resurgence in pop culture recently, like in the past couple of years because on Get Rid of to Roll Your Eyes on season sixteen, I believe of drag Race, Nimphia Wind impersonated her, not very successfully on Snatch Game, but you know in the finale, the top three, like whoever they impersonated, if they're still around, they do a video message congratulating them and making it to the finale. So Jane Goodall did a message, so you know, she got to have a moment in the zeitgeist again, which was.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Major Griffin Gracie. Yeah, just before her seventy ninth birthday, so you know, and that's the part again, trans women should all get seventy nine years, We should get ninety years, you know, and so we celebrate a life lived in service. You know, there was We're not exactly shore Hold she was, but her driver's license did say she was born October twenty fifth, nineteen forty six. So she died about a week or two before she turned seventy nine.
Speaker 2: And that's the transagenda, to die of old age exactly, exactly, for Fox's sake.
Speaker 1: She was a pioneer. She was one of the folks from Stonewall. She was there and a life of service to the community, particulately for trans women of color, incarcerated women, incarcerated trans women. She fought long and hard.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so rest in power, indeed, manager Mama, from what I to a lot of folks. Yeah, D'Angelo, Yeah.
Speaker 2: We lost DeAngelo. He was fifty one. He passed away in the middle of October. He lost his battle with cancer. D'Angelo was one of our contemporary musical geniuses, one of the founders of the neo soul movement. He wouldn't have said that, but it has. He has been attributed with that moniker. His first two albums are considered to be two of the best R and B albums ever to grace the planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah Said fifty one, Yeah Too Young Actually Hurt Me?
Speaker 2: And Questlove has recently confirmed that there's going to be a posthumous album coming up. He and Dangelo worked together very closely in the past, especially for his iconic Voodoo album, So I'm interested in seeing that when it comes out.
Speaker 1: Diane Keaton, Diane Keaton, this one made me so sad. Seventy nine, which I'm sorry, but y'all, seventy nine is yea iconic, iconic Yeah, for decades, I've just I've loved her work. Same Annie Hall and The Godfather And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you may not made me, but you you got me to watch any Hall a few weeks ago, just because you were thinking about her and I hadn't seen it yet, so and you know, I, despite my other feelings, all the rest of my feelings about what he allen. I do appreciate him as a filmmaker for the most part, especially his earlier work, And I had not seen any Hall and I understand.
Speaker 1: How, okay she wanted an Oscar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand how Diane Keaton's performance in that film launched her like I get it. I totally get it.
Speaker 1: And The Family Stone, which I adore, and we're going to talk about yes, speaking of Alfred.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so The Family Stone is one of your favorite Christmas movies. It has since become one of my favorite Christmas movies. Bought a problematic white family and they're problematic white house guests.
Speaker 1: And we've watched this Christmas every year as well to balance it out do.
Speaker 2: We do usually back to back there, But coming soon, stay tuned, We're going to be having a special episode Martha, myself and friends of the Pod. Doctor Alfred Martin will be returning and Kathy O'Connell will be returning to discuss this film because it holds a special place in all of our hearts for varying.
Speaker 1: Reasons, for varying reasons, and we have bearing opinions we did about the movie, so it's gonna be a really interesting conversation. Yes, lawd, I did watch it the night that I heard that Diane Keaton had passed.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I love that movie and I'm gonna watch it again before we sit down and talk about it. Well, yeah, because I feel like I'm gonna have to defend it.
Speaker 2: And I'm interested in seeing how this goes because there's i mean, much like everything, there's black people that love that movie, like myself, and there's black people that hate that move for the same fucking reason. It's going to be a fun conversation and nobody's wrong now.
Speaker 1: But you know what a good what a great Christmas time discussion. So hey, watch The Family Stone.
Speaker 2: It'll be up before Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then listen to us talk about The Family Stone. June Lockhart Lassie lost in space. She died at one hundred, right, I mean, hey, hey, exactly, Dick Cheney's dead, uh huh. And Jelly Johnson, jelly Bean.
Speaker 2: Johnson, who was the one and only drummer.
Speaker 1: Of the time of the time. He was sixty nine.
Speaker 2: And you know, I always hear either Prince or Morris Day in the back of my head on Jellybean.
Speaker 1: You've added two other names before we get to the name. I want to talk so Udo who is that?
Speaker 2: Oh Udo Kir passed away. He was eighty one. He passed away just a couple of days ago. He was a prolific German actor who's been in so many things in both American pop culture and world pop culture. He always plays an eccentric, villainous type.
Speaker 1: That's what it says. Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: Openly gay, which made some of his badassory even cooler. Like, the main thing I think of him was as the uh, the head of the vampire Council Dragonetti in Blade.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He was a cool dude, Udokir, and he.
Speaker 1: Had a cool name. I just realized her. Viola Fletcher is. Viola Fletcher was the oldest survivor of the Tulsa Race massacre. She died at one hundred eleven yep.
Speaker 2: And the part of that that hurts me, I'm glad she she made it to one hundred and eleven, but she was one hundred and six when the trial came up regarding reparations for the survivors and families of.
Speaker 1: The Green neighborhood of Tulsa, right of black Wall Street and the Tulsa massacre.
Speaker 2: And it felt like she was holding on to see justice. It does, and there was none because you know, they did what we knew they were going to do.
Speaker 1: There's that. But yeah, she she was she witnessed seven. Yeah, she was seven. So she lived to be one hundred and eleven. How about that?
Speaker 2: Talk about iconic. She saw everything, She saw everything twice right, thank you seriously.
Speaker 1: And the Philadelphia region lost arguably an icon yes, a month at the end of October. Yeah, here a bear. Yeah, gj on Wmoir since nineteen eightys on eighty four eighty one, I think early eighties, early eighties, you know, I am heartened to see. He was on the air for forty four years, so eight nineteen eighty one. They list his age of seventy depending on who you talked to, and that might have shaved a few years off of his age.
Speaker 2: But whatever a lady never tells, right it is.
Speaker 1: It has fascinated me to just watch the region poor love. You know, when they did sort of an I guess an ad hoc you know memorial in Rittenhouse Square, you know, hundreds of people showed up. He was beloved. Yeah, he was a good citizen. He was. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of rock and roll. Everyone who knew Pierre or met Pierre loved Pierre. We got to work with him at the Aids Walk each year, which he m seed and we stage managed. So you know, our paths have crossed professionally, and they've also crossed many times in the gaghborhood because the man was gay as Christmas and we're not talking about that, and I I'm I'm I'm really only of one mind, you know, in the way that we say if you like that computer, thank Alan touring, right, you know, who was a gay man, and we point that out right because we have as queer people made such enormous contributions to the world, and we leave that heart out. And he did not, you know, talk about his his sexuality on air. It wasn't your Maane for one thing. But he was out. I mean, he was out and about. He wasn't hiding, nope. And you know, I had this conversation with one of our friends at Knock recently and I said, I'm just not hearing anyone mention it. I mean other than friends who knew him and you know, probably hooked up with him. And are you know, and and others who have hooked up with him. But it's just been interesting to me that we are not talking about that part of his life and he was. And the more I see them just pouring out like they knew him, like he was their best friend. Okay, that's awesome, and you loved a gay man. I hope that doesn't change how you feel about him, right, because you know, reading some of what I've read, it's clear to me that everyone does not know that, right obviously, Right. There was even one article that speculated a wife. I'm like, what not that I know of, But I mean if there was one in the bass, and I've been around a long time, right, I've never heard that, m But yeah, And the only reason I mentioned in the age thing was because I remember Gosha telling me they were the same age, and Gsha would be seventy four or so how she lived, So that's what I meant, right, But you know, the records say he was born in nineteen fifty five and he was seventy and that that may well be. That's not really my point. My point is I hope that we can celebrate the fullness of the man, right. I really do. It's just that it's been sitting on my spirit that you know, even gay DJs are not talking about the fact that it's not about I mean privacy, and as far as I know, right, you know, his family may not want that just who knows. They're not releasing his cause of death, which being in privacy, who cares? You know, I couldn't be less interested in that he died of natural causes in his sleep, right, good, right, exactly. But you know that was the fullness of the dude, and everyone in this region. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't know that that Pierre Robert played Alice's restaurant every Thanksgiving, every Thanksgiving, you know, the long, the nineteen minute version, right every Thanksgiving. And they also played at one a memoir like Noon, which sometimes I caught that one because I But anyway, he was iconic, it was beloved. He was, you know, a really sweet, thoughtful human.
Speaker 2: I knew who Pierre Robert was pretty much my entire life, sure, because my sister was an MMR fan. So it's just a name that you heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I've seen so much written about him and about his career, but just nobody's mentioning. Has it not bothered you?
Speaker 2: I mean actively bothered me? No, but I did notice it, well noticed I.
Speaker 1: At this point in history, with so much vitriol in the air, people are coming together left, right and sideways over someone that was beloved to all. And by the way, he was queer. Right, I'm sorry, but by the way, you know, because and I think part of it is just that that, you know, the Maga cult has brainwashed so many people that I used to care about, who don't talk to me anymore because at least some of them are pouring their hearts out about Pierre Robert. Right, Yeah, I think it's important to note that, Yeah, a gay man was beloved to you, so why don't you knock off your ship? Taking nothing away from him at all. Colder actually thought he was wonderful. I really did still love running into him. He used a chat all the time. However, the twins loved him too. He loved them. He could fill a table with them at the Midtown three at three am because we'd be in the next booth with Ghosh. He would hang over the booth and chat. Yeah, you know he was. He was out and around.
Speaker 2: Well, that was the theory very frequently in the game, right, That was the theory is to why there were so many different ages floating around.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Because the twins ages stayed the same.
Speaker 1: They pretty much did. Yeah, legal but you know young, but yeah, I I he was an icon. He was truly beloved and lovely and you know, chill, and yes, he was very much a hippie. You really did come here in a ww bus and gay and gay. So we'll see how that comes about. But that's been it's just been on my spirit that you know, these are the kinds of things that should unite us. We all lost someone who was amazing and full of life and you know, brought us music, right, and that is so important. We all did, and it's a place where we could be coming together. But I kind of want us to tell the truth of that. You know, if you're going to keep me backed up against a motherfucking wall because I'm a trans woman, you're worshiping a gay man, just know it, fucker, just know it of us? Are none of us? That's all? Yeah, kind of kind of and the man was very sweet to me. Yes, always same, Let's take a break, Yes, and I will get off that, so bunks get rest in power and peace. Pierre, we loved you, you were amazing. Thank you for the smiles and all you brought to this region and all of you is missed. Yes, we'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: I've missed that. Hey. So election night, yeah, actually approved many things, including the fact that Democrats don't need to abandon trans people to win. Right, quite the opposite, Actually quite the opposite. ZOEA and Mom. Donnie won by a lot in New York City and he is he will be the next mayor of New York City, and there was a full throated support of this community and our rich history in the city of New York. He included Sylvia Rivera in his u one of his campaign videos campaign video, and he did so many cool campaign videos around the city talking about and to and with so many different kinds of people, and he won. The one that really stuck out to me was he like set up his desk right at the Chelsea Piers and talked about the trans community and Sylvia Rivera and her support, her active support of her community, and how the community did not support her back exactly exactly that's that woman's truth. Marcia too, but Sylvia really took it on the gin right, and he's talking about it. Yeah, he's young and smart and unafraid. And you know, the most mind boggling thing we saw after all Trump's garbage is now he's dressing like him to say that they met once and Trump's in love with him and he didn't cave on anything, but he's you know, it's the game that narcissists play, you know, But well, he.
Speaker 2: Figures if he doesn't, he might never feel how bad in New York again?
Speaker 1: Perhaps I'm hoping, you know, Gavin Newsom is paying attention because for all his little exploits with you know, Trump, he's also thrown us under the bus a bit, going on right wing podcasts and you know, doing the whole whataboutism thing with trans people and I'm not cool, Gavin, And you don't need to do that to win. No, you don't need that flex and it's not the flex you think it is, but it does tell me you're out of touch. I love, and we're seeing people like AOC and Bernie Beloved and mom, Donny, what did he have? One percent? At one point? Right, and went on to win by a serious margin.
Speaker 2: I knew he was going from the moment I clocked what he was about. I was like, he's going to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you showed me one video and I said, I want to vote for him. I want to vote for him for New Jersey governor. Right, nothing against Mikey. I mean congratulations to Mikey. Cheryl who did not come on the podcast whatever shade, Yeah, well offered the opportunity. But anyway, you know, she ran a more cautious campaign. Let's just say that certainly has been seen in rainbow shirts and knows the folks at Garden State Equality and all of that could have said and done more Interestingly, there is a day of lobbying and it happens to be December eighth, my birthday in Trenton for the lame duck session and passing of the transgender but essentially the healthcare Bill of Rights. So all of the things that we had via executive order from Phil Rthy. We know that they have the votes, we know that it's possible. We want to see it get done because it was kind of a promise, yeah, and we want to see that promise for filled before January. We want those things codified into law, that New Jersey is a safe place for trans people and those who provide our healthcare, and that they will not be penalized for providing health care. Damn it, and Mike, you won by a landslide. That's a landslide. What was it? Thirteen points, I believe, and that's a mandate. That's an actual mandate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her and mom Donnie both what they have in common is they had so many votes that it was called in their favor, like immediately, not even a full hour after Pope Poles post closed at.
Speaker 1: Eight, and I knew at eight twenty, right, I was getting texts at eight toes, so not even a half hour, not even a half hour that you know, they knew there was no possible path for Jack Chitdarelli or whatever his name is, to win. And he was a Maga extremist. You know, when New Jersey has voted for a Republican governor, it's usually because they're pissed off. And it's never been a Maga kind of person. No, never. I mean, Chris Christy was bad enough for everyone, but it's never been that right, and Jack keeps trying, But I would say Mikey has a mandate, and you know, we certainly know many folks who are gonna remind her that we helped get her there. That are, and I have heard wonderful things about her. I truly I have friends who know her better. Maybe not the world's best campaigner, but a serious person who you know, seriously engages policy, smart as a whip, and will govern well. Right, So yay, yay for us, Yeay for Virginia. You know, so many Democrats won and Moms for Liberty slated. I don't know how many candidates. I believe none one.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, it doesn't even matter because not near nd one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last time was paying attention, it was none. Now Diane said last night maybe it was one or two, but I maybe, but it wasn't many.
Speaker 2: I heard none.
Speaker 1: I heard none as well, but that was early, so I don't know if a couple squeaked in, but I heard none. And it's either none or close to none. And good, right, good, because people are waking up to where that goes, right where y'all are taking us what this? You know, people are getting the full picture of this mess that many of y'all got us into well, and they don't like it. I wanted brown people to suffer, not me.
Speaker 2: Not me. Fascism look cooler in the brochure.
Speaker 1: It looks so good when you were punishing the people I don't like. Uh, the ones I find.
Speaker 2: Dicky, But it does it feel good?
Speaker 1: No, But you know my farm is bankrupt and I'm bankrupt. We have no healthcare and that's not what he promised. He's got a ballroom now people are seeing it.
Speaker 2: Myself hating brown husband got deported.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and he's building a fucking ballroom, desecrating the White House and building ballroom while people are suffering. And like I said, don't make no mistake. The Doge shit affected a lot of people, a lot of humans, a lot of services that were critical. And you will see, you will see the effects of that absence as time goes on, because you can't, not exactly, you can't. And again, when we lost our grant, we lost any power we had to insist on fairness where we were concerned. So thanks Doge. What else? Nancy Pelosi has announced that she will not seek reelection and she is retiring. Correct, yeah, you speak her Emeritis has been in public service for six decades. This month she did announce her retirement.
Speaker 2: And the thing that pissed me off about that is all these people, like the agism just jumps up like, finally, get all these old people out. We need you all forgetting that these people have been fighting for your ungrateful ass for decades.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there is a point at which no, I get it, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying like that shouldn't be the first thing out your mouth.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't. And we don't hear it as full throatedly towards the old men as we do older women. So except for Biden, well we did, yeah, and we got something much less healthy and much worse. But okay, and you know, I'm gonna still say Kama didn't have a shot to really launch a campaign. America is still racist and misogynistic to the point where I don't know that she could have won. I'm not sure, but I do think Biden would have beat him anyway. Well, I think I think it was you know that, I know he promised one term. He did right, and so it would have been great if she had more time. But all that said, you know, I don't know that switching horses midstream was smart, certainly not look around, and I'm a devastation.
Speaker 2: I'm not even sure it's fair to say Kamala wouldn't won because of the elon of it, all right, which we don't know, I mean even well he basically all but said, well, well they did, and all but said, well, and we should be investigating that. We should be investigating that. You know, there's a there's a democratic governor in Pennsylvania because they I believe the statement was made about Pennsylvania. So yeah, like, investigate that ship then, right, make sure it can't happen, and if it did happen, prosecute them.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ. Right, I don't know. I don't know, you know, because I remember saying in the primary when it was Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. The first time, I said, we're about to find out who America is more afraid of a black man or a white woman. There turns out they were more afraid of the white woman because he was half black or something, and they tortured him the entire time he was in office, which I'm sure they will do, you know, or would do with a woman in office. You know, there's no woman who will pass uster.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why it cracks me up, because who will. People are trying to gass up Michelle Obama about running, and she's like, if you don't get the fuck out my face with that bullshit, or you know, the Michelle Obama.
Speaker 1: Version of the Michelle Obama version of if you don't get the fuck out of my face.
Speaker 2: Right, she was like, y'all. Basically, she was like, y'all ain't ready, so don't waste my time. Not to mention she doesn't want to. She barely wanted to be first Lady.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: She loved her husband and support her husband more than she didn't want to be first lady. And that's the only reason why, Like don't, just don't. And people are like trying to come at Kamala about some of the way things are. She was like, I'm not the president, so what you're yelling at me exactly?
Speaker 1: Yep, this wouldn't happen in my watch, So you go to hell. She has a book out and I want to read it. Yeah, I do want to read her book. But yeah, you know, we have some lessons from the past, like Ruth Bader Ginsburg. But again, she had the right to keep working. She wasn't. She was not senile. I mean, she wasn't in perfect health, but she was not losing her faculties. Right. I mean Diane Feinstein staid too late at the party. You know, it seemed apparent that her staffers were running things for quite a while, right, And we need to not do that. And you know, Kathy and I had this conversation recently and I was like, if you were embarrassing yourself, we wouldn't let you, right, We'd say it's time to go. Remember you wanted to know it's it's time to go. It's time to bow off the air, you know. And She's like, I would expect that, And I'm like, I know, why did she not have anyone who come on? Baby? But everyone else enjoys the power that they have because of position. And you know, I want politics to be different, right, I just do. But you know, Nancy has had a long and distinguished career, A trailblazer, a fighter. She proved she knew how to rally things, she knew how to you know, get to voters. She did some pretty amazing things as speaker. And I wish her a lovely and healthy and long retirement because she has certainly served us often, thanklessly, for a long time.
Speaker 2: I want her to sit somewhere with some brandy and her feet up and some bunny slippers, reading some trashy novel just because you fucking can. That's what I want for her.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. So I'm jumping to Manuel Miranda, who was annow dot com saying it was an easy decision to cancel Hamilton at the Kennedy Center, another institution that Trump has trashed law while I was away. Yeah, they refused to perform, and good.
Speaker 2: And not just them like Isa Ray was supposed to perform and didn't. It was a bunch of folks. And it's basically like, fuck.
Speaker 1: Y'all, is your monkey ass happiness? You got? You got let's say, Kid Rock, Nicki Minaje, right and Chachi. Yeah, so enjoy that.
Speaker 2: And just because you put a house faggot in charge doesn't mean that it's going.
Speaker 1: To be art. No, it does not, It doesn't. I have an anecdote. I would love to add to that, but I'm not going to. But I have one right at the tip of my dad.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he does know how many minutes make up a year. He's not the one.
Speaker 1: Got damned, he's not the one. Nomm hm no, no, no, no no. It's going to take a long time to get these institutions back to look at all the mess, because we've got like it's kind of like a drunken toddler just running through the country. Wow, that's an apt image. Yeah, yeah, just just smashing things, including the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 2: The arts community had five hundred and twenty five six hundred ways to say fuck you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wellnell had said that this was a publicity stunt that would backfire, and of course, you know, this is the Center's new president. Of course he deleted that tweet. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: They don't need to do a publicity stunt. They're fucking Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And of course, Harvey Feirestein said he was banned from the Kennedy Center after he criticized Trump and called Crenell a self loathing queer because he is that part, you know, and self loathing queer is a little more eloquent than housewaggot.
Speaker 2: But it's the exact same thing.
Speaker 1: It is distinction without a difference, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't blame them at all. I don't blame them at all, you know, because ugh, what you're doing is ugly and awful, and the more people that stand up against it, the better. We've had some amazing No King's Days and you know everyone said that was that, that they were stunts, but boy did they lead to some results election day?
Speaker 1: Boy did they that part? And may that continue? May that continue? I you know, we've often said what will it take for people to stay interested and go vote? And you know, how bad does it have to get? And you know, we're seeing how awful his Supreme Court is. And we'll talk some more about that that elections have consequences. Indeed, y'all let's see.
Speaker 2: So I want to talk about this real quick because it's still going. The New York Historical Society has an ongoing exhibition honoring and displaying the LGBTQ legacy of the Harlem Renaissance. So the exhibition is all about the queer folks that that were a part of that movement. And you know, we always talk about how the Harlem Renaissance was about, you know, the black intelligensia, which it was, you know, and the the artistry and the music and the thinking that came out of that movement. But we never talk about how queer it was.
Speaker 1: It was in the twenties and thirties, and it was very queer.
Speaker 2: Yes, very very queer. In fact, most of the people that we name off the top of our husband talking about the Harlem Renaissance were queer as fuck.
Speaker 1: My Raini, my Rainie, Langston.
Speaker 2: Huge Langston, Hughes, keep going. Yeah, so that exhibit the gay Harlem Renaissance.
Speaker 1: The first is going with the water Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: Took a second.
Speaker 2: It's running, It's it opened in October and it's running until March.
Speaker 1: Oh. I love that.
Speaker 2: That's why I wanted to talk about it, because you know, people should check it out.
Speaker 1: And this is where you said, the New York Historical Society. Yes, uh, where where is that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So the New York Historical is Central Park West. Yeah, And so we're going to post a link to the website so that you can go check it out because it's an amazing collection of the legacy, the queer legacy, the black legacy of a major influence in American pop culture and American culture at large. And I want us to go.
Speaker 1: I would love to, Yeah, I would love to say it. M h to say so no, it's interesting. So all we have a Central Park West, that's all.
Speaker 2: We got one seventy Central Park West, Richard Gildaway on seventy seventh Street.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's where this display, Yes, m B, yes, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Gay Harlem Renaissance runs until March eighth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I love that. No, I would love to see that since worth seeing exactly. Yeah. The more we study history, the more we cry. Well, that's all I got. I love the headline. DEM candidate glitter bombs anti LGBTQ plus Christian group over transphobic survey. I think it's only fair they get a little sparkle in their life. Read show. Walter, a thirty two year old heterosexual who is one of sixteen Democratic candidates it's running to represent for Illinois's seventh congressional district in the US House, recently responded to a candidate survey from the transphobic Illinois Family Institute by filling it out and enclosing it in a glitter bomb ha namely, an envelope filled with lots of golden glitter just waiting to spill abon whoever opens it. Okay, I love that. Yeah, So one of the funny things about running for offices. You get inundated with a bunch of questionnaires asking what your positions are, considering whether they'll endorse you or whether they will campaign actively against you, including some of the strangest, most gobliny people on earth. For example, the Illinois Family Institute boldly bringing a biblical perspective to public policy in the Land of Lincoln, which I guess to them means opposing abortion and LGBT interests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mmmmm.
Speaker 1: They sent the questionnaire asking if he supports withholding federal funds from schools that allow biological males to participate in female sports. So they oppose trans people, but only if it's male to female and not the other way around. And he added that to the group's questionnaire actually asks the sports question twice. They're obsessed with it. We know those the children's genital fetishists are obsessed. Yeah, they're gleefully transphobic and homophobic. So I think it's only fair that they get a little sparkle and they're like, well, it's funny.
Speaker 2: And the thing about glitter bombs, besides.
Speaker 1: You know you can never get rid of all, right.
Speaker 2: It's besides being attention grabbing. That's so disrespectful because you ain't never getting that.
Speaker 1: Out They don't deserve any respect.
Speaker 2: Oh I agree. I'm just saying I love how disrespectful it is because becomes part of the DNA, whatever it lands on, you ain't getting that out there.
Speaker 1: You go ever, God, we have never had this many items in our favorite segment. It's time for.
Speaker 5: Empoya people taking pleasure.
Speaker 1: Name he it is so Alex Jones appealed the one point four billion dollar defamation judgment in the Sandy Hook shooting, and the Supreme Court rejected. It is back, but we paid for you.
Speaker 2: Right, this is back in mid October.
Speaker 1: It is but still good.
Speaker 2: Right, he don't deserve nada.
Speaker 1: This conspiracy theorist described the twenty twelve Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting as a hoox staged by crisis actors. Right Info Wars was his show in case you've forgotten nothing. There was no comment from the justices, which they issued without even asking families of the victims to respond to Jones's appeal.
Speaker 2: Right, because we're not even going to bother y'all with this. Nope, get the fuck out our face.
Speaker 1: A lawyer who represented the families said the Supreme Court had properly rejected Jones's latest desperate attempt to avoid accountability for the harm he has caused. I want these people to pay. Uh, I want them to pay for their lives. Yeah, you know this shit is biblical, by the way. You know, there's that whole thing about those who lead my innocence astray. You know, there's a whole thing. I'm not gonna look it up, but there is. And trust you you know it's like and that's who these people actually are and who's worshiping them, the Christians, the fucking evangelicals. It's crazy. It is crazy. And yeah, I want them to pay and pay big for their lies, worked on rudy for their lives. Who just said? Which one was it him? Which one of them? Just said? If the Democrats take over, we're all going to jail.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: That's our hope the Trump administration is over. Hm, that's all right, Yeah, that is our.
Speaker 2: Hope, said the quiet part out loud.
Speaker 1: Yep, he dies. Yeah, I forget who's sign up, but it was one of these jackasses anyway, they said nope, So he's still on the hook and he should be. And good Oh that was Steve Bennon. I confused, Steve Bennon, Alex Jones. I think they're the same person. I mean, they basically are.
Speaker 2: Very minimal difference.
Speaker 1: Bloated white men, bloated, blotchy white men who haven't seen their dick in decades. Yeah, same thing.
Speaker 2: One bite to stake away from not being here. No more livers. Sound like this.
Speaker 1: Carrying a defibrillator Like it's a girlfriend, Iowa. I'm just picturing these dudents like shocking themselves in the hallway to keep going.
Speaker 2: You know what the most exciting battles right, well, this is my girlfriend, clear.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Iowa must play eighty five thousand dollars because state troopers blocked trans students from capital restrooms. Yeah good right, six months after Iowa removed gender identity as a protected class from its civil rights laws, jackasses, The state now must pay eighty five thousand dollars to LGBTQ plus students ejected from the Iowa Capital in twenty twenty, among them trans students who were denied access to the building's bathrooms. Iowa Safe Schools and LGBTQ Plus Youth advocacy group sponsored a visit for about one hundred and fifty Iowa students and chaperones to the Capitol to meet with legislators in twenty twenty. The group's then executive director, Nate Monson, told the Iowa Register that at the time, Iowa State Patrol troopers told several transgender students they couldn't use one of the bathrooms and had to use a gender neutral restroom instead. When he intervened, arguing the troopers directions were inconsistent with state law, the entire group was ordered to leave. Yep, yeah, yeah, Wow, the Civil Rights Code includes gender identity. He told me it did not. Then I told him, yes, it did, and he said, well, it doesn't include bathrooms. The students were then told to leave the capitol altogether, that they had been banned from the capitol grounds and that they would be arrested if they returned.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: File a suit in twenty twenty two alleging sex based discrimination, harassment, and unlawful retaliation. Under terms of a settlement agreement filed in July approved by the Iowa State Board Appeals on Tuesday, the state will pay the students and group leaders to settle the case without admitting any wrongdoing. Well okay, yeah, yeah, good, good. I want it to be expensive. That's apparently all we have, right, make it cost, Hey, make it cost if you're going to be a lying piece of shit, if you are going to discriminate against people because you don't like how they look, you know, yeah, I make it be expensive to be stupid.
Speaker 2: Please these didn't that used to be the phrase, if you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so.
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, let's put that into action.
Speaker 1: Meant we mentioned the Kennedy Center earlier. Uh huh, it hasn't been going well, right, So the headline reads, empty seats and plummeting sales have plagued the Kennedy Center since Trump's takeover. It's quote dire.
Speaker 2: Sorry about it.
Speaker 1: He promised to make it hot again. Instead he's made it toxic, as with everything he touches hot again. Yeah, yeah, it didn't need your help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kennedy Center was before him, one of the hottest tickets in town, no matter what was playing.
Speaker 1: Washington Area residents and visitors to the Capitol are voting with their wallets a referendum on President Trump's golden Age in Arts and Culture, a new analysis by the Washington Post describes half empty halls and plummeting ticket sales at the Kennedy Center, which Trump took over as chairman earlier this year, vowing to end woke programming. In his purge of the once revered arts and culture institution. He fired staff, replaced advisory boards, and installed a new team headed by Rick Garnell, who we have earlier indicated as a housewag. Yeah. Yeah, the numbers are not good. The three largest performance venues, the Opera House, the Concert Hall, and the Eisenhower Theater worse they've been in years. Yeah, tens of thousands of seats left empty. Since Trump took over, forty percent of tickets remain unsold for the typical production at the venue in the new fall season. Forty three percent excuse me, from a pool of one hundred and forty three thousand seats during September and October, more than fifty thousand and remain vacant. During the same period last year, only seven percent of seats on average were available on a typical production on the day of the performance. Huh. Patrons spent half as much money on tickets in September on the first half of October twenty twenty five as during the same period in twenty twenty four. Uh huh. Given the unprecedented takeover of a nonpartisan arts institution, combined with the inexperience and rhetoric of the new management, I expected to decline in sales, said a former staff member. These numbers are likely more dire than they appear, as they don't account for canceled productions or shows moved into smaller theaters due to weak ticket sales. Uh huh, a current staff member. Of course they're all speaking, said, The drop is all about Trump. This downturn isn't just about pricing or programming. It feels directly tied to the new regime's leadership shift and the broader political climate. Yeah, we don't want it right. It's not fun. Your bullshit is not fun. He The only book that man ever read was mindkomf Is it not obvious yet?
Speaker 2: Had read to him whatever?
Speaker 1: Or there's a coloring book, whatever, He had a thirteen year old read it in Epstein's bedroom.
Speaker 2: Because I'm sorry, you take away queer folks, brown folks and quote unquote wokeness out of art and what is left?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nothing good?
Speaker 1: Well, and again the last gasps, We're never going to be easy, and that's not what we're saying. Mediocrity is not happy about, you know, seating anything. And they see it, they see their days are numbered.
Speaker 2: And we get kid rock Ted Nugent, the Village people and Nicki Minoj and well that's the biggest star on their roster.
Speaker 1: And is it all the Village people or just someone?
Speaker 2: I mean, the whole group's been ruined and tainted now.
Speaker 1: Which is ironic as irony of irony of irony. Yeah, so, uh, it's not going well at all. And if that's not shottenburd, I don't know what it is. But there's more. Kim fucking Davis, that ignorant bitch is still on the hook.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court did reject her efforts to overturn, you know, the ruling that said she owes money, and they declined to revisit Overfeld at this point anyway, right, they declined to hear an appeal from her, the former Kentucky clerk best known for refusing to issue marriage licenses to say sex couples after overveiled yep. Following the ruling, she stopped issuing marriage licenses altogether. And since filed multiple appeals seeking to challenge same sex marriage protections. Once again, that is.
Speaker 2: Her hill to die on.
Speaker 1: They rejected her efforts. In this latest appeal, David sought to overturn a one hundred thousand dollars monetary award she was ordered to pay to David Moore and David Armhold, the same sex couple to whom she denied a marriage license. Her petition also urged the court to use the case as a vehicle to revisit the constitutional right to same sex marriage.
Speaker 2: How dare you exactly?
Speaker 1: The petition, along with the couple's brief and opposition, were submitted to the Supreme Court on October twenty second and considered during their private conference on November seventh. She needed at least four votes for the Court to take up her case, but fell short.
Speaker 2: Yep, want and you can tell how long she's removed every queer person from her life just based on her hair and wardrobe.
Speaker 1: J Yeah, she ain't got a gray friend. She wouldn't look like that. Good good, Yeah. No, I think you should go about the business of figuring out how you're going to pay these gentlemen, right.
Speaker 2: Churn some butter or whatever prairie ass looking bitches like you do.
Speaker 1: Nobody else will caught her her maybe donate it. Oh, this one is a head scratcher. The ride is now transvestigating Charlie Kirk and his wife.
Speaker 2: Eating their own.
Speaker 1: Well, I said, just give it time, and it's happening. We knew it was inevitable. They're now knee deep with Charlie Kirk and his widow. Who for a minute was he? They canonized him, didn't they? Some? Pretty much things got weird.
Speaker 2: Well, it's still kind of weird. I saw a shirt on Shine with his picture and said in loving memory and the dates.
Speaker 1: Nothing in love. So so which one do they think a secretly trans both of them?
Speaker 2: Well, mostly her.
Speaker 1: Oh it's her, and that's how he died broken heart.
Speaker 2: No like someone on X posted several photos of of her from her Miss Arizona pageant contestant days, alleging that they showed evidence that she was secretly trans talking about her jawline, her collar, the five gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so fun. They can't tell. And actually when they can tell.
Speaker 2: It's because yeah, they were as and then they're trying to say that Charlie Kirk said, Charlie Kirk seemed so feminine and emasculated because she was a transgender handler. That's why he was so pretty. Those are words?
Speaker 1: What are we even? Those are words though, like a transgender handler?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The one thing like Pizzagate and all these people, It turns out America was run by this huge pedophile ring.
Speaker 2: It's just the Republican which is looking in the wrong direction.
Speaker 1: And Trump is their leader. Yeah, you were right, you just were looking at the wrong people. Yeah, like this is Candice Orange. Shit, Yeah, y'all look crazy. Yeah they do. And like we know that. They said the same thing about Michelle Obama.
Speaker 2: They some of her recently because of her Fannie Leba would spoke.
Speaker 1: For some reason. They try to say that Dylan mulvaney was a trans man before becoming a transwoman. What what? They're insane? And I don't know why we even give them, you know, inches, but they did, and it couldn't happen to a nicer widow. How's that? Okay, let's say, Oh, the leader of Turning Point pled guilty to attempt an election fraud. By the way, Yeah, Turning Point was Kirk's thing. Former GOP state rap Austin Smith was Scott submitting signatures in his re election campaign.
Speaker 2: Ih See.
Speaker 1: The former Republican state legislator, pleaded guilty to what he previously called ludicrous charges that he personally forged more than one hundred signatures on his petition for reelection last year. But he did. The Republican from Surprise Arizona was a member of the far right Arizona Freedom Caucus, which has a history of spreading false claims of election fraud. The irony should kill them, it should choke them, if only, if only. As a part of his guilty play, he admitted signing the name of a deceased woman on one of his candidate nomination petitions in March of twenty four. He also admitted that he attempted to deceive the Secretary of State's office by knowingly filing petitions containing forged signatures of purported supporters. So he pleaded guilty, and he did all that shit. He was at the time he was indicted, strategic director of Turning Point Action. Turning Point Ussay's advocacy arm, the far right organization based in Phoenix aiming to mobilize young conservatives founded by none other than Charlie Kirk advocacy. Yeah, another Republican criminal.
Speaker 2: Of which they are legion oop.
Speaker 1: Yet and finally, Marjorie Taylor.
Speaker 2: Green yep, the notorious NTG.
Speaker 1: This bitch has only had a deal with the Republicans for like a week, but she knows she a better hire a security guard, like she knows how fucked up they are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She has blasted Trump for vicious attacks amid a pipe bomb scare and death threat against her son since you know, she's been calling for the Epstein files to be released, and she has turned against Trump. Yeah, you know, she waited until her pension. You know, they only have to be in Congress for five years to get a pension. By the way, crazy damn. Yeah. They raped the country in so many ways and she went in. I mean she had money, but she has a hell of a lot more money now because insider trading. Yeah. Anyway, Marge, who is still a psychopath, Yes, has made some sense lately and it hasn't gone well with MEGA And now she quits and she's gone. She's resigning. Yeah, and she's not retiring, she's resigning, which means they're going to be down a seat until it's filled. She knows that.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he withdrew his support from her because she broke with her party on several issues, most recently the approach to healthcare and the government shut down, and their opposition to legislation that would order the release of the government's files. Jeffrey Epstein, Yes, every fucking time I had to agree with her, I was angry. Is that because I hate this woman? I mean, she's still the one that put the billboard outside her office that said there are only two genders, not She's a piece of shit, and she's never going to not be a piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't trust her just because she happens to be technically correct.
Speaker 1: Apparently she can read the tea leaves though, and she has turned against her party and they're michigoths and she's going to pick up her marbles and go back to Georgia. And there is speculation she will be running for president. Bitch please Yeah, but ju Ju way now, because you know she knows that the leopards do at your face and now they're aimed at her. Oh, I'm sorry. Right, you've been account to us for all these years and you weren't afraid then, right? It only took a couple of weeks against your own people to know they have no limits. Nope, hmmm interesting right, anyway, that's why that belongs here. This has been your moment.
Speaker 5: Of employ people taking pleasure real name?
Speaker 1: Yay, I missed that so on the way out to the break And it has certainly been a minute since I asked this question. I should have been able to pick up just because I'm back. But anyway, do you have a fifteen minute pap? Tell us about it.
Speaker 2: So we recently honored the one year anniversary of my brother in law John's passing.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: I was looking for this song that he loved that I also loved that I heard a lot growing up, but I had no idea how to begin to go about finding it. I went on a hunt, and luckily my sister, between me, her and context Clues were able to figure out what the song was. And I've been listening to it on and off since. It is by Willie Cologne and Reuben Blades and it is called Pedro Navaja and I just love this song. I've always loved it as a kid, and it's basically about this badass dude who walks around town and everybody the women want him and the men want to be like him.
Speaker 1: So it's bad, badly very brown.
Speaker 2: He's banished something like that. So we're gonna go out to the break with Pedro Navaja by Willie Cologne and ruben blades.
Speaker 1: And this is sir John. We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: Or let's quina del viko bars, los alam last man and los b.
Speaker 2: Husn so Bredo.
Speaker 1: Manio loud di.
Speaker 6: Problem Salil Clintes, Oscurus, Parcenos da Mirando, undian tro kwandor reve Brian Doo comtres guadras, quina una muher parre coriento la sera and terra porquin traves jenu sagua tricedam trago parol vida Kelda stavloco in cleanesaravahar dasamuespaci to la venda no marcas perroto save Pedro Nava, las Manosi, predentro Gava viras onlo well Via brigard me andras Kamena pasa la vistas kina squina No seven alma is not easier.
Speaker 2: M h.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 1: And we are back. We're back, Okay, I haven't missed this part. It's time for the cavalcave. Of nonsense, and boy is it hmmm. A trans man was harassed by security and kicked out of the women's bathroom in Illinois. This is what y'all said you wanted, right, It's almost like what you really want is for us to not exist at all, really, because this keeps happening to butcher women too. Yeah, and some of them are you know, sisht Yeah, and they just happened to, you know, be a little more masculine looking due to picos or you know whatever. And they're getting fucked with two because people are crazy. A transman says security guards harassed and threatened him with arrest while using the bathroom at an Illinois arcade bar in September, alleging that one called him a danger to children. Y'all need to check who's a danger to children, because it is not us.
Speaker 2: Y'all are thinking of sis man, y'all.
Speaker 1: Are thinking of yep, you are. You are the ones who are pointing their fingers are the ones you need to look at.
Speaker 2: I learned in the third grade when you point one finger, you got three point backage.
Speaker 1: Or you should. Yeah, it's going to happen more and more often. I'm not going to belabor this, but it's that is going to happen more and more often. If you want to send me to the men's room, it's going to be a riot. And likewise, how many trans room I pictured you want to send that dude? Okay, I don't go.
Speaker 2: Well that's been a a nd.
Speaker 1: He'll kick your ass when you question him, because.
Speaker 2: That's becoming a growing movement on social media, these like burly ass trans men going, you want me in the women's restroom?
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 1: And they haven't thought any of this through. And you know what, the women the cis, women who are claiming this is about protecting women and joining in with these yahoos deserve everything that's coming to them. Well, I'm sorry, but you're inviting it. You're inviting it. This is not feminism. Nope, you want to exclude us. You know you want to say this is about protecting your children. You are not protecting your fucking children because your husband's the problem. Yeah, check out the little league team he coaches. Well, and stay the fuck out of my life, and I will stay out of yours. I only go in there to pee and check my makeup.
Speaker 2: Damn it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Donald Trump's East Wing demolition trashes Eleanor Roosevelt's queer legacy. That's the headline. She held the first press conference by a first lady in the East Wing. It became a base for her activism. Yeah. Yeah, he's demolishing everything. Literally, he's stepping on everything that's good and worthy and worthwhile because that's what he is and that is what his legacy will be.
Speaker 2: If you give a pig a sledgehammer kind.
Speaker 1: Of kind of, it'll kiss a minor.
Speaker 2: Goddamn. Now would they burn that book?
Speaker 1: Nope? I mean maybe I don't know. Yeah. See, but but the fact that queer people exist, that's the problem, not y'all Jesus Christ. Anyway, Like we know what's happening. This is an article in The Advocate talking about you know, it's awful. It's awful, disgraceful. You know, Betty Ford said of the East Wing. If the West Wing is the mind of the nation, then the East Wing is the heart. Well, he cut their heart out, which was expected. I mean he's he's imboldened. He's doing everything he kind of throttled before. It's a mess. The Olympics, in all of their courage, moved to band trans women. Oh yeah, and we're talking about the really small numbers, right, and cis female athletes. Yeah, with male levels of testosterone. Even if you come by it naturally, ladies, they don't want you. Yeah. The IOC head Kirsty Coventry previously said she would come up with new guidelines to protect the female category first and foremost. It was fine. It was protected, thank you very much. But okay, the International Olympic Committee, the IOC, is moving toward a decision on whether trans women can compete in women's sports. Yeah. Just looking for the punchline because I'm so sick of all this conversation. I mean, we knew whe the goglins were. They were stringent before. We are not dominating any goddamn sport. Pay attention, right. Yeah. In February, Trump signed an executive order prohibiting trans student athletes from participating in women's sports. Yes he did. Although the order mainly targets trans athletic competition at the KA twelve level, it also orders representatives of major athletic bodies to promote policies that are fair and safe, which they used to be in the best interests of female athletes. As we just defined females and apparently they can have very much testosterone consistent with the requirements of Title nine. Yeah. Sure. The US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, the USOPC, and the National Collegiate Athletic Association the NCAA barred trans women and girls from women's sports, despite the order itself not carrying the power to mandate a unilateral man And what are we talking about? Five people? Is it ten? Could it possibly be ten? What is the threat? And where are these record holders that are just getting in the way of everyone?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Or is it that you mainly abenis? I'd like, I don't even what the fuck? Seriously seriously, and who's complaining? There are gonna be women and this is gonna you know, who's gonna get hurt more, who's gonna who's gonna pay how many African yes women, oh yeah, happen to have Yeah mm hmmm, two birds right, one stone.
Speaker 2: But my whole thing is, like, it's one thing when you talk about like the regular playing field of sports, where it's like these mediocre, like mediocre people complaining about unfair advantage, But it's the fucking Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It is supposed to be any mediocrity. So if you're that big and bad, then it doesn't matter who's competing against you.
Speaker 1: And can I just say, is this really what matters in the world? No, never did, never did, never did. Could all go away and everyone would be fine. Yeah, but yeah, let's keep doing this. Let's keep doing this. And you know, again, we're talking about a minute number of people. There are over one thousand Jeffrey Epstein victims, ding ding ding. How many of them did Trump fuck when they were thirteen and fourteen and fifteen years old? But let's talk about trans.
Speaker 2: As many as shy, as many as he could.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, he commuted George Santos' sentence. Yeah, so he's the one releasing criminals on the street people. Yeah, yeah, yeah, including the insurrectionist that he pardoned. Yeah, brilliant, brilliant strategies all the way around. Supreme Court is probably going to rule against conversion therapy ban, you know, because they keep saying, we're complating it with you know, the the aversion practices. We're also talking about talk therapy. Never in the history of ever has any version of conversion therapy worked. Nope, Yes, there are self living people who were taught to hate themselves yep, who think that they're going to a professional who can help them not be queer or trans and it's never once worked. They delude themselves for a time sometimes m hm, and start organizations like I don't know, exodus, Yeah, and then they wind up in a same sex relationship apologizing for all the people who killed themselves at their hand. I was going to say, that is what happens. It's a cycle.
Speaker 2: We know it.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows it, and fuck the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: The only way conversion therapy quote unquote works is when the person kills themselves.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, one less and I think that's how they look at it. I think that's how they must look at it. Well one get yeah, yep. People like is you know, working to tell the real story about conversion therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we watched a couple of the videos they were on their YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: They are releasing a short documentary refaming the debate in human terms. They are short, like twelve minute films called I Changed My Mind. We did watch a couple of them. I think that look it up and give a few a listen. I mean, most of our listeners are just kind of you know, cheer on the choir, but some they are some of the stories of folks who were steeped in religion and and you know, chose love instead.
Speaker 2: It's always better that way.
Speaker 1: And you know, by the way, Pray Away has been out on Netflix for I don't know how many years now, Go watch it. Yeah, and I think it should be required watching for the Supreme Court before they decide to word rule about conversion therapy, because you know, we can't even get what's his name this de sober? Oh yeah, Cavanal, Cavanal. Let's see what else. A woman was charged with a hate crime for spray painting a trans symbol near a Christian school. It's really happened. She was bullied at the school as a kid, but parents of kids at the school say they thought the transsembol meant a school shooting was coming. Really, really, did you? A woman was charged with a hate crime after she spray painted a transgender symbol near a Catholic elementary school in Maryland, and she pleaded guilty to charges of defacing the property of a religious institution and malicious destruction of property, which are both misdemeanors. She was accused of spray painting the combined male female symbol, which they wouldn't know what it is. I guess right, But it meant that there was going to be a school shooting really okay near the Saints Peter and Paul Elementary School in Easton, Maryland.
Speaker 2: These people need to pray for brains.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Parents of kids in school claimed that it made them afraid because there was a school shooting in Minnesota in August that was allegedly carried out by a transgender person. Um most mass shooters again, oh, sis and heterosexual identified and men right not transfer But okay, yeah, be afraid, be very afraid. Dumb bitch is going.
Speaker 2: Dumb bitch.
Speaker 1: She's spray painted the symbol because she wanted people to know what it meant and to create a sense of space for herself. Oh God, people don't know what stink things through. She was arrested in charge with a hate crime against who. Again, if I wish they had to choke on irony, because then they would think about it. Marilynd's hate crimes statute includes the use of hate symbols, which this is not, and lists newses and swastikas as examples of such symbols agreed. She was held in jail with men without the possibility of bail, and denied access to healthcare for two months. She was sentenced to time served and five years probation. The school's lawyer pushed for her to be held without bail, of course, and then said that his severe response to the vandalism has nothing to do with the transgender identity. Oh yes it does. This was never about danger, her lawyer, Laurence Greenberg said, it was about discrimination, of course.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: That is not a hate symbol. That was not a hit crime. I mean, if anything, was probably a cry for help. But yeah, let's let's make sure we punish her to the full extent of our fear so she doesn't do that again.
Speaker 2: You know how, let me say, they better be glad we want justice and that revenge. Yeah, keep fucking around, and you're not gonna be able to tell the difference.
Speaker 1: When mom Donnie won to what happened to Deborah Messy? What what happened?
Speaker 2: It was? On election day, she posted something like ninety something memes and articles on her Instagram story.
Speaker 1: Essentially calling the new mayor a terrorist. If I'm yeah, wow, and this is this is before because he has Muslims, right, this is before he.
Speaker 2: Was even elected. This was that whole election day. There was several of those things were Islamophobic, a lot of things calling him anti Semitic, anti Israeli, a lot of pro Israel stuff, some racist shit, some pro Trump shit that like I'm not even sure if that's what she meant to do, but it was like.
Speaker 1: Girl, hmmm, girl, it was a lot. It was like crying and like sweating, and I was like, yeah, I was having a happy night. I didn't need to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: It's like she's been in a couple of days afterwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's I don't have to move now, progressively problematic over the past couple of years anyway, And she was on willing great, I know, dear God, It's like, I'm wondering, what.
Speaker 1: Does she think is going to happen? What does she think he's gonna do.
Speaker 2: They're gonna put her on a train and take her to a camp directly?
Speaker 1: Oh honey, I think they're going to put me on one first. But he's not right, and I think you're pretty safe with him too. What the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah? She losing her rabbit ass mine and I used to have way more love and respect for her.
Speaker 1: I know, thoughts and prayers. I guess get some help.
Speaker 2: I hope she does, sincerely, Like, no, Shade, get some help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of gets some help. What the fuck is up with Nicki MINAJH girl? Where did she lose her mind?
Speaker 2: Well, she's been deteriorating the past few years. Drug use has been suspected.
Speaker 1: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Like she's been having mountdowns in real time on social media. But usually it was like every time another female rapper did anything good, usually Cardi B, she would mount down. But her rants have become transphobic, have come just more and more unhinged. And then recently she just straight up started supporting Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah no men and women's sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, okay, if it weren't for the LGBTQ community, she would not have a fucking career. Let's start with that.
Speaker 1: Well, then let's make sure she doesn't. What the fuck. I hope her followers are going, what the fuck? Cause what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Exactly what you just said? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 2: Like Cardi B even tweeted at her, she was like, I say this with love and respect. You need to go to therapy.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And stop doing drugs, stop letting the man that lives in your house spend all your money and keep you high all day because this is not working out for you.
Speaker 1: Says no shit. Good good for Cardi B Thank you to your God. Yeah, it makes it's making no sense and it's m it's messy.
Speaker 2: You know. I was just starting to get to the point where I was openly admitting that I liked her, and then she sucked it up.
Speaker 1: I don't like her. I'm done. I'm done. You know what I'm done. I'm done once you, once you I I don't know if there was a bigger bet Middler fan than me right until until until I know. Yeah, and then she doubled down on her on her turf bullshit and uh yeah, broke my heart. And still don't care what she does at this point because you know what you did break my heart. Yeah, and what you say matters to a whole lot of people, and you don't give a fuck. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can't unring that bell.
Speaker 1: No, you really can't. And you have the chance to. You could have been gracious, you cut a rethought that ugliness, but you did not, you know, And it's sad, but once it happens. I can't stop seeing you, right, I can't. You showed your ass. We all saw it. Okay, now we know. I believe you the first time. Mother Maya taught me that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm still mad at Kanye. Well, it's like so many of his songs I've been wanting to listen to, but I can't because I can Well, no, I can't, because then he'll get money off the streams and I can't support that. And like I'll be putting shit on shuffle and one of his songs will come on and then I get mad and then I have to stop and I have to take the song out of my rotation. It's like, now you make an extra work for me. Well, that's true, it's you crazy.
Speaker 1: All right. Before we get any more angry and we're kind of veering already into pop culture, we're going to take one more break and then we're going to come back and we are going to pop the culture and cleanse those bells.
Speaker 3: Hellolujah, we'll be right back, all right, be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back.
Speaker 2: Cut.
Speaker 1: So we watched Eddie Murphy's documentary, Yes, Being Eddie. It was Being Eddie very good apart from the Dave Chappelle of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. It was a really good, well done documentary, except for the fact that they insisted on including Dave Chappelle and Jerry Seinfeld a.
Speaker 1: Lot they did. Why do we not like Jerry?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: He did he do something?
Speaker 2: Comedians can't say anything anymore because woke it can't and cancel culture.
Speaker 1: Did he say that? Really? Huh? Didn't know that. I know what Dave Chappelle said. Anyway. Eddie Murphy interestingly talked about Yule Brenner trying to proposition him for an encounter with Yule and his wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he didn't realize until he had it was home.
Speaker 1: And he was like, wait a minute, now, I wish I would have went and fucked his wife in front of him, And yeah, that's a story. It would have been a story. It was worth watching. And he's kind of become very zen. We did see his retractable roof close and yeah, but arguably a game changer. I mean arguably and so many levels. And you know the thing that I the little aha moment I had because I had never thought about it, but God knows, we've done it, and we do it to women. We do it to minorities was when they sort of talked about, you know, being the next Richard Pryor and Richard Pryor is still around and creating this sort of false sense of a feud or what have you. Because there can only be one, right black comedian. There can only be one superstar. There can only be one. And I hadn't thought about that, hm and I went, God, damn, Well that is so manufactured. Why can't there be Why can't they both exist and be brilliant at the same time. Well, that's the same planet.
Speaker 2: Part of what initially started driving Nicki Minaj crazy. They were doing that shit with her. It's like, there can only be one female rapper who's successful. Then Cardi B came along and well first it was Lil Kim and then Nicki Minaj came along and they were like, oh, she's the next Little Kim. Then Cardi B came along, She's the next to Nicki Minaj.
Speaker 1: It's like, which we don't have to do, We don't and nor should we sit there and allow it. Addie Murphy didn't, right, but yeah, and we have done this to women for years, you know, like there's so many stories especially like in the nineteen fifties of the b actresses who didn't make it past that status, like Jane Mansfield because there was already Marilyn Monroe, et cetera. You know, we had one where she looked too much like X or yeah, well her style was too much like why so we had the one. We couldn't have two.
Speaker 2: And then Robert Townsend touched on this as a joke in the movie Hollywood Shuffle, how like, if you wanted, if you were a black actor trying to like make it, you had to be like if they're looking for an Eddie Murphy type, you had to be that.
Speaker 1: But he rightly said, you know, I opened the door. It's Trenzel. I opened the door for you know, it's a matrist. And he's right.
Speaker 2: Arguably, forty eight Hours was the original Buddy movie m It's like, look at how the formula like follows that, you know and the cool young black action starr. They tried to replicate it a couple of times, like they tried to do it with Carl Weather's action Jackson. They tried to do it a Whoopee Goldberg, But that also can be chalked up to they didn't know what the fuck to do with her.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, but she did, okay, yo, one could easily say she founded me.
Speaker 2: She did. But like right after, like when she were first trying to like after Color Purple, they were trying to like find a way to like make her like the mainstream hit and like they tried it with over Here with Jumpin Jack Flash and like that was great but didn't do exactly what they were looking for. Then they tried to with Burglar and then that didn't work. They tried to with Fatal Beauty. That didn't work. They tried to make her an indie star Telephone and that was just horrible.
Speaker 1: Sister Act was okay.
Speaker 2: Sister Act was like when it that, that's the one that did it.
Speaker 1: Anyway worth seeing? I agree. It was a good watch. It was Netflix, right, I believe, Yeah, Netflix being Eddie right, Yes, yep, watch it. So MTV is shutting down, Oh yeah, all their music TV channels.
Speaker 2: It's officially the end of the era, like.
Speaker 1: MTV, like they're going to exist, but they won't be MTV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well, I mean it's been that way for a while. It's been like nine reality no music videos.
Speaker 1: But remember when that's all it was.
Speaker 2: I Do to Real World was like the turning point was like, I know, what's this? What is this? Because music videos that's what MTV was. Yeah, I miss original recipe Real World? Do you I do well? Because like it was nothing like it but that and then like after that, once you know what it is, you're self aware and you start producing yourself and then it becomes what it became. But the originally was an experiment, like so rip the m in music and MTV.
Speaker 1: It's now TV taving so many things that we watched since the last time I record, I'll plow through it.
Speaker 2: I watched the ice Cube War.
Speaker 1: Of the World.
Speaker 2: It was horrible. Okay, I didn't know the whole thing took place on computer screens because it was done during the pandemic. So it was like, you know, if you work for the NSSA and so you're seeing the entire world via a computer screen, what was it looked like, child, don't do it to yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, it looked like it was.
Speaker 2: It's spent eight it costs eighty three dollars to make.
Speaker 1: Not a recommendation. No Thursday Murder Club.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 1: That was fun. And I want it to be like a series wanted to, you know, grow. It was good, well done.
Speaker 2: A bunch of older, intelligent folks in a high falutin retirement community. They have a little club where they get together and visit cold cases and see if they can solve it. And it got deeper than they anticipated.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: It was very good.
Speaker 1: It was good and I could see it. It was like a better only Murders in the Building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a whole season and that that I haven't even touched yet, I know.
Speaker 1: But I liked Netflix as well, right, I believe so. I think so absolutely worth watching as a movie and you'll see what we mean. It feels like it should you know, be your companion for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cast was week Perce Brosnan. Was it Helen Mirren?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 2: It was very good.
Speaker 1: It was good, good cast, great acting, good writing. It was It was definitely worth saying. That was a cathe recommendation. Yes, what the hell is? K Pop? Demon Hunters.
Speaker 2: Is got kids on a death grip. It's an animated movie on Netflix about this group of K pop singers who are also demon hunters and their job is to like there's a barrier that keeps the demons from Earth, and their music is what creates the vibrations, like with the fans. As long as the fans are happy with their music, then the barrier is strong. And so like the demons created their own K pop group to battle them, and like it was. I watched it because Lisa kept badgering me to watch it because she's obsessed with K pop, Like you gotta watch it, And it was actually fun and the music is great, like I've listened to the soundtrack like on my own. It's just good, Like it was fun K pop Demon Hunters. You're looking at me with this confused look on your face. It's like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Is this why you still don't always pick up yourselves even after I threw most of them away?
Speaker 2: Oh slash, Yes, but yeah, like the stars of the the Voice actors have become like ridiculously famous on their own right, the songwriters have become ridiculously famous in their own right. It's great.
Speaker 1: I don't always understand y'all, and I don't have to, It's fine.
Speaker 2: I finally watched the movie Barbarian by the director who brought us Weapons, which I also saw Barbarian was a journey. It's a horror movie, so you'll never see it. But basically every time you think you know what's gonna happen next, no you don't. Not one time, was I right? Okay?
Speaker 1: So that was fun. Is that a recommendation, Yes, I recommend barbe Okay. The next one I made you watch Nonah's Nona's. It is such a sweet, sweet movie. Sonnah's is based on a true story about a restaurant in Staten Island where actual Italian grandmothers cooked the cuisine of their roots, and Vince Vaughan plays the man with the vision. Brenda Bagaro, who I have not seen in ages is one of the Nonahs. Lorraine Brocco and Italias Shire who I have not seen and I didn't recognize her the first time through from from from Godfather. They're the Nonah's in the movie.
Speaker 2: And Susan Saranda, Susan Sarandon, Tamny Pescatelli, well she was in it, but she was minor part. But Joe Imaginilow was in there.
Speaker 1: He was the best friend. I haven't seen him in a while, and sold his dad's fifty nine Plymouth fury to fund the restaurant, and then I believe Vince Vaughan got it back for him, right, But it was. It's a sweet movie. I love cooking movies. I love movies about food in the way food brings us together and the way the way we have sense memory. Yeah, you know the way, and you know because one of the storylines is Vince Vaughn trying to replicate the sauce his mother and his grandmother used to make every Sunday, and he can't quite figure it out, the sweetness in the sauce. He can't figure it out. And it's not sugar and it's not honey, and it's not maple syrup and any.
Speaker 2: And don't spoil it.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to spoil it. But he finally figures it out and it's you know, there's so much, there's layers. It is just sweet and feel good. You found tried and I found the recipe and it's good made it It is good. It's it's I've seen it now at least three times, yeah, at least three times, and I love it. I love the movie. I love this story. I love that it's based on a real story. Maybe one day we'll eat there. But I love the idea of it, and it was just well told. Yeah, I love this. It's a Maretha movie right.
Speaker 2: There, it is a Martha movie. I love to see that. Jeffrey Owens got to got to be working as what he played, the health inspector, because like there was that time period where like he was not working in Hollywood. He for whatever reason, couldn't work in Hollywood, and he was spotted as a a bag boy in a Walmart or something, people trying to clown him for having a.
Speaker 1: Job job okay, known as highly recommen I believe that is also Netflix, right, yeah, this is why I'm here. We can't get rid of Netfox, despite how much I lose Dave Chappelle. No, no, it is worth the watch, Yes repeatedly, You're welcome. Yeah, so good. Yes, this other shit, I don't know. I see a list of words. Oh, yes, there's words here.
Speaker 2: Swallowed. I happened the pond. It was under LGB.
Speaker 1: That's a movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like, uh, they call it a horror movie, but it's not really. But it's like this gay dude is leaving town to go via a porn star in California.
Speaker 1: Oh, we watched this together.
Speaker 2: No we didn't.
Speaker 1: Yes we did. Oh, yes we did.
Speaker 2: No, I watched it at work by myself.
Speaker 1: No, we watched this one together? Or I watched it separate?
Speaker 2: You watch it separately.
Speaker 1: I saw it with the bugs bugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't watch it together.
Speaker 1: He's going to California to be a Oh yeah with the bugs. Yes, that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we watched it him and his friend.
Speaker 1: A lot of dick. No, you watched it. Told me there's a lot of dick.
Speaker 2: And then you watched it, and there was a yeah, in no good way.
Speaker 1: Was there a lot of dick? But there was a lot of dock on the I didn't say. And it's good and hard dick, but yet yeah, unappealingly. So it was weird. It was a weird movie. It was not a me movie at all. I think I told you that, though you did, and I think I okay, dick and yeah, So what's your takeaway? Mine?
Speaker 2: Was I watched it? I don't. I'm not sorry I watched it. It's not bad, but it wasn't that great, all right.
Speaker 1: And there's definitely dick in it, but sometimes dick for Dick's sake is a miss a swing a miss.
Speaker 2: Title title next a stupid. For some reason, I've decided to torture myself by going back and watching Girls.
Speaker 1: I cannot imagine why, but okay, you did the Leah Donald she got me the first time, She'll never get me.
Speaker 2: Well, it was like I remember, like why did I I feel like I hated that show so much? And now I go back and I'm watching it, like, and part.
Speaker 1: Of everything I hate about being white is surmise, like kind of encapsulated in Girls. Yeah, every every time I go, oh.
Speaker 2: Jesus, yeah, they call the girls because dumb bitches wasn't as good enough title. I guess even though it was more accurate.
Speaker 1: That would be misasionist.
Speaker 2: And accurate.
Speaker 1: It kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not calling them dumb bitches because they're girls. I'm calling me dumb bitches because they're dumb bitches. You know.
Speaker 1: The one thing I thought about was like, because I say often like I didn't. It's not like I want to be a I don't want to be a woman. I don't. I just am I just damn. And if you want proof of that, watch Girls. I don't want to be that any more than I want to be white. I love Oh my god, I don't think you could be. But but you see my point, it's like, you know what we are, what we are, and uh, this is white women.
Speaker 2: Or that I'm really just watching it for the sake of completion, because like I'm in for a penny, in for a pound.
Speaker 1: But I just don't know why.
Speaker 2: I just what.
Speaker 1: Made you? I don't know, you know what, here's a good idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's something told me because it was such a hit, I'm like, let me let me know.
Speaker 1: But I didn't get through much of it.
Speaker 2: Try and watch it objective?
Speaker 1: Was it because people identified with it? Because I did not, And that was and that's where they lost me. Same with what's the one where they're all born on the same birthday and it's all like a big tear jerk, weekly tear jerk. It was like thirty something, Oh, this is us, yes, but no longer groundbreaking, this is us. I didn't get it. I think I got two thirds of the way through the first one and then went, no fucking watching this. There's no reason on God's earth I would watch this, and I never did.
Speaker 2: So I think I'm approaching girls academically, like I'm trying to figure out why was this popular.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, no, I guess that's a that's a way to approach it. Because I couldn't figure it out and I stopped watching it. I guess I've found them insufferable.
Speaker 2: They are, But I guess if you're.
Speaker 1: A but I'm not entertained by the insufferable. If I want to see unsufferable people, all I have to do is go to work as a trans person.
Speaker 2: But I guess if you're a young, up and coming, self absorbed white girl who's trying to make a way for herself using your whiteness as a sword and shield, I guess it appeals to you.
Speaker 1: Huh maybe yeah, that's yeah. Okay, so academically you have been watching girls kind good on you. I'm not joining you. I don't know this next one either.
Speaker 2: I was listening to a podcast that analyzes horror movies that I love, and they were they were. One of the episodes was Deaf by Temptation, and I was like, oh, I haven't seen that movie in a long time. And it was like, you know, foundational independent horror films not with death but deaf, deaf, d e F and right because it's an all black cast early nineties, and you know deaf is was this like deaf jam right? Okay, I don't know what death means like cool, like high quality dynamic? H Yo, that was deaf.
Speaker 1: It's dynamic by temptation. Huh.
Speaker 2: The title actually makes sense. It was really just to let you know that it's black.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and and rewatching it like it was Actually it held up. You know, it was pretty good.
Speaker 1: It was well done.
Speaker 2: Let's see what else.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I watched Weapons finally because it was available in streaming. I wanted to see it when it was in the theaters, but I missed it. And that movie is fun. Same director that did Barbarians, and it's a ride. I recommend Weapons. It was fun. It's not really scary, but it's definitely a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I'm just over here.
Speaker 2: Every time you see children running, you should run the other way. I also watched The Substance finally. That movie Demi Moore earned her ask for now. Oh that's the one you were trying to describe to me. Yeah, but I never want to watch. It's a commentary on like women aging in the public eye. Yes, it's the tip of the Iceberg, Joe, but I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you mentioned and we watched we started rewatching, well not rewatching, but watching The Great British Baking Show. And once again I want to say, if you just want to watch something that's sweet and fun and wholesome, yeah, where they compete for a plate so they like help each other and it's just not American competition in any way, shape or form, and the oven doors are cool. The Great British Baking Show is like it's really good for mental health, right, you know, silly, fun, interesting. Yeah, you learn a little about crumb and what happens if you under or over bake and beck like you know, and just to say bake. Yeah, it's just yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You learn how many fucking accents there are in the UK.
Speaker 1: There really are, goddamn. But no, it's it's kind of just a nice little comforting show. It is. Yeah. I don't know what v HS series.
Speaker 2: There's a series of horror movies called VHS and they're all like like found footage, first person POV. And I'm enjoying it, like it's mostly trash, but.
Speaker 1: It is one fine mostly trash. Where is this found?
Speaker 2: Oh? All over various street I'm cobbling it together, the various streaming services.
Speaker 1: This is also about the socks, isn't it shut?
Speaker 2: But a couple of like each one has a couple of standout sequences that are really cool, and the rest of it is trash. But what was interesting to me was like, after I was watching it for a while, I had a moment of blurred reality because it's all like first person point of view, like in you know, you're running around the dark with just the light.
Speaker 1: And I'm familiar.
Speaker 2: A good portion of my job is running around the dark with just the light. And there was a couple of times, well, like I had that blurred reality where I felt like I was still in the movie.
Speaker 1: You know, the job is the Blair Witch Project. No, it is that.
Speaker 2: It is that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, okay, so that's the thing. But you're also watching Yes, okay, Boots we did watch together. Okay, the fucked up thing about Boots us you put it on in like the middle of episode five for some reason. That's where it started.
Speaker 2: That's where it started for me.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying we share our password, but and it made no goddamn sense, and I was of all the places in the world to start a show like it assumes we know these characters. It assumes so much, like I hate this, it makes no sense. It just assumes so much. I mean, it was it was oh god, yeah, it was a sterile white school teacher. It was awful, and it just assumed so. And then we realized we were We did not start at episode one at the beginning, so then we did that and it was so much better, and we actually enjoyed the series because it does build. It's one of those series that builds and you get to know the characters and you followed storyline, and then by the time you get to episode five, it made it so much more just interesting. You have to see one through four and a half otherwise it makes no goddamn sense and you get frustrated. It was good, it was good. It was good. I hope I actually hope there's another season. Yeah, it was, it was interesting, it was good. It was provocative, you know, mag I don't like it because they said it was woke. You know, it's about gay soldiers and fuck them, and that made me watch it harder. Exactly once we started it one, it worth seeing.
Speaker 2: That's what made me want to watch it. The fact that the also Netflix Depositive Defense was mad about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Netflix, Yeah, it's worth seeing, absolutely worth seeing. Yes, layers, good writing, interesting characters, yeah yeah, Boots. Yeah, but started at episode one. Yeah. Better if you do, you'll thank me because I don't know how that happened. But that was fucked up. It's like, wow, that's the worst show ever.
Speaker 2: I hate this.
Speaker 1: See you lumped all of my shows together as if they don't matter.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's all of a theme.
Speaker 1: There is a theme, the theme being we watched too much television that I have supported my goals in the house with television, starting with Hoarders, and I did watch several seasons supporters. Some of it traumatic, of course, you know some of it My mother was My mother was a clean hoarder, but she was a hoarder. Started with Hoarders, moved on to Marie Condo, Yes, and others about cleaning and organizing and you know, saying goodbye to things and thanking them for their service and all that.
Speaker 2: But the thing about Hoarders was every time we got to a commercial break, you've got.
Speaker 1: Up in like away. Yes, it was very motivating, and that's been the theme that is the overall theme and watching home improvement shows, Hometown, Bargain Block, yes, all these others, like I binge them until they're done. I felt kind of bad for the boys on Bargain Block. They just disappeared, I know, like season five, they just stopped mid season.
Speaker 2: No more money for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you were researching that? What the hell happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They Tathen Evan Evan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, HGTV just pulled the plug on them.
Speaker 1: Was like they finally had a gay couple and they were doing cool shit. They were like rehabbing Detroit Detroit and selling at reasonable prices to first time home buyers. It was a very altruistic and lovely and cute. I mean, Keith was a pain in the s and he did over the top shit. But they had a mission with Shay as their realtor, you know, obligatory, funny black friend and whatever. It was good and they built like this whole It was also a smart realtor. Yes, but apparently behind the scenes something happened.
Speaker 2: It's never been made exactly clear what happened.
Speaker 1: It stopped mid season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just there was a disagreement between them and HGTV and HGGGV pulled the plug in the middle of the season.
Speaker 1: They probably said, you are not paying us near enough, and HGTV said, watch what happens when we pay you nothing exactly, because that's what happens when queer people speak up.
Speaker 2: Right, But like their business and Shay's business were all like very tied into the show. So when the show went away, it's like they had nothing right. So, I like, none of their websites have been updated in months.
Speaker 1: It's a shame. Yeah, I mean it's still helped me keep moving. Yeah, I've come up with some interesting ideas, Yeah, watching it because I am I'm dead set into again cleaning, organizing, not big a hoarder, and completing these projects on a budget. Right, So you know, it's all been motivating.
Speaker 2: I will say the order that we watch things made a huge difference because we were watching hoarders and watching these people like their goal is to like not have their house taken away from them. They don't get their shit together. And then when that was done, we started watching the home improvement shows and people having budgets of one, two, three, four or five hundred thousand dollars, And then you tried to go back and watch an episode of Holders, and I couldn't go backwards.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, no, no, I you know, it's my my, my loose theme idea where I've been living. Right now. It is making room, you know, making room for change, making room for what comes next, considering the things that we keep. I mean, when you look around at how many storage facilities, like it's a business storing the shit that doesn't fit in your house as a literal business model, something's wrong.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: We have way too much stuff, right, and for all kinds of reasons, and I am guilty of. You know, when we moved from my Philadelphia house to Above the Bar, it was not a pleasant move. It was a necessary one. And there's a lot of stuff I wasn't willing to part with, and you know, so I packed things that in my right mind I would have gotten rid of, and some of that stuff I'm just unpacking now here. Years later, You're like, oh, I do own that, and maybe I don't know even why I packed it, you know, in multiples of things and things that were sentimental to this house but that I don't care about. And I'm able to say I don't care about that, you know, and move forward. So it's been good, it's been cathartic. We're stinning the possessions and trying to make sense of what we do have, you know. And one of the ideas that came out of all of those shows was, you know, you shouldn't be storing more than you have the room to store things, right right, whatever you keep should fit within whatever your alloted storage space might be. Yep, And I agree, makes sense, yeah, because we keep way too much shit, like, take a picture of it and get rid of it, right, you know, unless you love it, if you really really love it, then that's the justification for holding on to it. There was also what was it The Gentle Art of Death Cleaning Swedish death cleaning, Swedish death cleaning, and that was that was lovely.
Speaker 2: I'm mad that that show didn't have more episodes.
Speaker 1: I know that great. It was really good and it was about you know, how we keep things and what do we keep and can we pass things on now along with the stories that go with the items and the generations, and.
Speaker 2: Not leaving a huge mass behind right for people after you.
Speaker 1: Go like my parents did, right, not leaving all of that behind, but having dealt with it, but dealt with it in thoughtful and lovely ways.
Speaker 2: Right, passing along the things that you want passed along with the actual intention being made own to the people. And they're being rhyme, reason and purpose to what you keep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nice. They made like different boxes, like gift boxes with the story of why this item is in the box, and it was it was so lovely. It's definitely worth watching. I forget where we found it, but it's Hulu or something, but the gentle art of Swedish death cleaning.
Speaker 2: And we learned a word that we used to this day, fika.
Speaker 1: It's just I'll be bright, yes, fika at which they take every episode. Yes, that's been the theme that's been where I've you know, there has been actual reason for what I've been watching, and it has helped inform, you know, getting ready for the next chapter, getting ready for the you know, whatever comes next in the new year, and you know, maintaining my energy for all the things that I all already have going on. Yeah, and the house is getting better. We're finally finishing jobs that needed to man for a long time exactly. Yeah, So as we enter this, it is Thanksgiving week in two days, you know, made up holiday, but whatever. A lot to be thankful for, yeah, a lot to be thankful. We will have a small dinner which Kathy has mostly catered with some homemade stuff, and that'll be nice. It'll be nice. Yeah, I'm grateful for a lot of things. It's been an interesting ride since September. I'm really happy to be back on the microphone.
Speaker 5: Yay.
Speaker 1: Thanks and you we're gonna keep doing this on the regular now because.
Speaker 2: You know we're back, hallelujah.
Speaker 1: How about some podcast business, Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 2: If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcast or good Pods or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating or hit that subscribe button five stars of more. Please follow us on social at full Circle Thepod on Instagram and threads at Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at Imartha Madrigal Everywhere. Her writing can be found at i Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com, I am at Never Skirt Everywhere, or you can just visit our link tree, Linktree, slash, Full Circle Thepod. If you have a story, idea or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job. Drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. You could also consider supporting Full Circle the podcast by becoming a patron at our Patreon, Patreon dot com slash full Circle Thepod. Starting at just a three dollars a month, here you get access to all of our our episodes ad free and before everyone else. Then starting at the six dollars a month, here you get access to our behind the scenes in bonus footage and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our Discord channel Full Circle the Podcast podcast business over.
Speaker 1: I missed it, so while we're back. You have been listening to Full Circle the Podcast.
Speaker 2: I am Martha Madrigal and I am Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And we appreciate you so much. Bye everyone.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast posted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scurd Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders. A