Speaker 1: Good money, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. Media's time now for our community connection right here on Kay one of the One You Trust, brought to you by Wesley and Kitty College, Arnald Moorene Camp Funeral Home, gat Reel Ministries for Turnal Order Beagles and Tall Grass Motors. And today we've got the Washington County Freefair in here with Kevin and Rebecca. My goodness, kids, we're getting close, aren't we go? More than we are closer by the minute now with the Free Fair coming up, I understand that the we've just got a little bit more added to it. You guys have done a great job of adding things, you know, over the last couple of years, but now there's even more to love at your Washington County Free Fair.
Speaker 2: There is there's always the opportunity to add things. I know, when we publish our book, it's it's usually earlier in the year, so our schedule at that point has a lot of items, but it doesn't have all the items listed.
Speaker 3: So since we talked.
Speaker 2: We've been able to add some things in. I know the kids are going to be super excited to hear that there's going to be pony rides every evening of the fair, So that's going to be fun.
Speaker 1: So indeed, it used to be that was just kind of a you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the pony ponies will be there.
Speaker 2: Time for that, and and then there's going to be reading with donkeys. So I know we had the Wonkey donkey scheduled on Saturday, but we've actually they've actually opened it up and they're going to be there kind of sprinkled out throughout the fair. So we're going to have for all those teachers and school admin that are listening, we're going to have opportunities for the kids to to read with donkeys and rabbits.
Speaker 1: Rabbits reading with rabbits. Kevin, Well, I'll tell you what that was, a kew points and multiply them.
Speaker 4: Do you want to talk about the timing of the fair?
Speaker 3: Sure, that's a really good place to start start.
Speaker 4: Begetting you still have time to enter your animals. That is August thirtieth is the cutoff date for animals, and entry dates for your indoor entries is Tuesday, September third, from noon to seven.
Speaker 1: So all right, so we need to get those projects in and accounted for, yes, because judging day is the next day Wednesday, it's not open to the public, but we'll be judging all the inside exhibits, and the big day is Thursday, the third or the fifth, when the fair does open and you.
Speaker 4: Get to come out and see if you want a ribbon.
Speaker 1: It seems to me like on the move in day and then on judging day, that's where a lot of the internal work just really goes into overcrive am I correct on that.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely correct those days where where not you know, we've set up the nuts and.
Speaker 3: The bolts of the fair, but then.
Speaker 2: All of the people that bring their items and it all starts coming together. But it's not organized at that point. I mean, it's generally organized, but we receive all the entries and they're in their departments, and then the next day when the judges come and they sift through all of those entries and place them. That's exciting. But the work begins when the judges are finished and we come back to that department and.
Speaker 3: We display it in a.
Speaker 2: Nice order fashion for the public to come in and see.
Speaker 3: So that does take a lot of work in a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Some of the departments are big, like photography, fine arts. There's a lot of stuff to hang up into display and to make it look nice. So when you come in you can look for your exhibit and see if you want a prize.
Speaker 1: Do we have vendors coming in this year?
Speaker 3: We do. We have a lot of different vendor options. This year.
Speaker 2: We have a vendor and craft Day that's Saturday only, so those booths are going to be in our North room, so they'll be in the ac There's still just a couple of spots available for that. So if you're a vendor and you want to participate in our Saturday only vendor craft show, reach out to our email address and all the informations on the fair page on County Courthouse dot org or on our Facebook page. Then there's also the one hundred mile Yard Sell that is happening and we're going to be a part of that. So the Oklahoma, Kansas one hundred mile Yard Cell happens every year the same time as the Fair, so we said it can't beat them, join them, So here we are.
Speaker 4: Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is Thursday through Saturdays, so those vendors will be out on the lawn, the fair lawn Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Speaker 1: That's pretty darn cool. Now, Kevin, this is the sweet live here and I understan we've had an audible. Normally we would have the hot dog eating contest? What are we replacing it with this year? Will be the donut eating count?
Speaker 4: Well, now you're talking my language, and that'll be on Friday, September sixth at five o'clock. Now. Also, this is first come, first served with fifteen people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first fifteen people to enter at the event is who gets to participate. We've had an enormous amount of response to this. I think people really.
Speaker 3: Love the idea of eating donuts over hot dogs.
Speaker 2: So but it will be the first fifteen people to sign up under the pavilion at the fair five o'clock on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Any interest from law enforcement on.
Speaker 3: This I have not heard yet. I have not heard.
Speaker 1: So checking yes, and well I understand some of these guys are kind ofseurs, you know, so allegedly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so's there is a lot going on.
Speaker 3: We always have.
Speaker 2: Another thing that I think we've forgot to mention before is we will have the Oklahoma Blood Institute there again this year. They've always been so faithful to come to the fair and provide another opportunity for people to help help out.
Speaker 4: And and they're here there on Friday from two to six thirty.
Speaker 1: And that's really good because you know, it just seems like this time of year, there's a lot of traffic, there's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Things going on, the back of school.
Speaker 1: They got Labor Day coming up, and accidents happen, and there's going to be a high demand for blood. So you guys time that out.
Speaker 2: Perfectly with them, Yes, and and and it's it all kind of works hand in hand. You know, you can go inside each you a good meal that day at the fair and support the organization that's providing the meal, and then turn around and go donate blood. And so you're you know good, you're you're good, you're covered.
Speaker 4: Donate blood. And you entered the donut eating contests right after.
Speaker 1: Some Yeah, somebody's going to get charged up.
Speaker 4: Yes, maybe we could do that the police departments and sheriff department. Maybe they could send their best donut eater and have a battle of the law enforcement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: Well we don't have a challenge to law enforcement. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: So it's always a good time.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we did add a new event. It's a cupcake war for the under eighteen cupcake warbe Ese. Guys are going like full sweetness on. We're not gowing cupcakes. You decorate three cupcakes. You bring your cupcake and your decorations, and I believe it's thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yes, you'll have they'll have thirty minutes to decorate three cupcakes and it's a team of two or three eighteen and under. We'll have age divisions, so I believe there's the eight and under and then the nine through thirteen and then the fourteen to eighteen. So we'll have juniors and immediate seniors. Come show us your best cupcake decorating skills.
Speaker 1: And you got to watch that eight and under. Those those are the their cupken through. They know how to do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and their imaginations are out there. So no telling what kind of cupcake you're going to get, but it'll be fun.
Speaker 4: We can also as PCA will be there so you can you need a little more sweetness in your life. Here you come and adopt a dog or a cat, you're likely changed for the better, It's for sure. Yes, they'll be there thurstay five to eight.
Speaker 2: During during the it'll correspond with our pet and pet show and they will have animals there that are available for adoptions, so there really is something for everyone at this year's fair.
Speaker 3: You need a pet, come on by. If you need something sweet to eat, come on by.
Speaker 2: If you need to donate blood, come on by.
Speaker 1: And if you just want to have a good time and take it all in and come on by by.
Speaker 4: All means yes.
Speaker 1: And I understand that the kids are going to have some fun with the barnyard as well. That's a big deal that's coming up to right.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, And since Lucas isn't here with us today, I wanted to take a moment because he's so humble and he won't pat himself on the back, so I want to pat.
Speaker 3: Him on the back, all right.
Speaker 2: He and his wife Macy have done an amazing job with our children's barnyard. They have really put a lot of time and effort and man hours into revamping it and making sure that that thing is going to be full of animals, full of.
Speaker 3: The educational things to see.
Speaker 2: He's even talking about bringing in an observation beehives for everyone to look at and observe.
Speaker 4: And yes, one the kitty corral with kind of agg related gangs and education.
Speaker 3: That's where the Southwest dairy farmer.
Speaker 2: She's going to be out there, and then are reading with the donkey and rabbit will happen out there too, and so it's uh, they've really done a good job.
Speaker 3: And so shout out to Macy and Lucas.
Speaker 1: You know, it was like pulling teeth him to talk about that last time was in there.
Speaker 4: Poor guy.
Speaker 2: He's so humble, he is, but you know what, they're so passionate about it, and they do such an amazing job, and so it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be great.
Speaker 4: Kevin, what's the date of this again? Entry day is Tuesday, September third, from noon to seven, and then public opening is Thursday, September fifth, from nine to the nine eight I can't remember, well, tell me close.
Speaker 3: Oh, from to the public to the fair at eight I think.
Speaker 4: And then Friday same thing nine to eight, Saturday nine to eight o'clock. Also great.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a lot of fun, a lot of opportunities for youngsters to learn. So grandparents, if you're thinking you might need a breath of fresh air, and the little ones, I need a break from them and dad maybe an education and take them all out. This is where it all happens. There's all kinds of families who participated in the Free Fair for years.
Speaker 4: It's almost like a legacy.
Speaker 1: It's generational, definitely generation and you know, uh there are names that are so familiar they probably been around almost one hundred years on the different entries.
Speaker 4: But that's okay.
Speaker 1: We also have room for more. We have we have. We have people moving into Washington County every day. So don't think that this is just for you know, folks who've been here for a while. This includes you too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely everyone is welcome participate in whatever capacity they they're able to, or just come view and and watch it all unfold and and get geared up, you know, excited for participating next year.
Speaker 3: If we do have a moment, I want to.
Speaker 2: Talk about some of our sponsors that have been so gracious to us, and Jensen Tractor and Belle Camper and Farm Bureau and Lawana Duncan right now, yes, thank you to them for advertising in our fair book and and helping us UH get get give us some sponsor money to get the get the show on the road. And and also Farm Bureau has paired up with Homeland and they're going to uh provide cold bottled.
Speaker 3: Water for all of our fair goers.
Speaker 2: So nice, Yeah, it's it's so appreciative, and it's yeah. And and Sumner Equipment equipment rental down in Ramona, they've graciously allowed us to use their equipment for setting up the fair, you know, forklifts and things like that, and and people don't realize that it's all those small little things and and every everything comes together and and every little bit helps. So whatever your gift is, whatever you've got to offer, it's always appreciated.
Speaker 1: You know something you said something when you said everything that small counts, well, it's big when you have to do it and you don't have what it takes to do it. So everything's pretty pretty well good and ready to go help.
Speaker 2: And the cattle women they've always been so gracious. They donut they donate actually money to the fair meals. So all of those organizations that are putting on fair meals as their fundraisers, the cattle women have been so gracious to donate some money towards those meals to help all the kids.
Speaker 3: The four h and f FAI groups.
Speaker 2: That are that are providing those meals, and then Hughes Ranch this year is also helping the fair Board out with their meal. Our fundraiser meals, so Hughes Ranch and the cattle women are both helping us out there.
Speaker 3: So it's I'm telling you it.
Speaker 1: Will if you walk away hungry. A yell.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: So the fair is just not animals. You can come and eat. We have on Thursday, the Copenaggies will have lunch from eleven to one, and then the Free fair Board will have our fundraiser from five to eight. Friday is the four eight Watching County four h parent volunteers. Lunch is eleven to one, thirty dinner five to eight Saturday. The Indian Women Club bars Indian Women Club from eleven to three or until they run out from Indian tuckles and fried.
Speaker 1: Bread that goes fast here and go fast.
Speaker 4: And then do if has their meal from five to eight on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Also so plan accordingly, folks, Yes, and it all goes to a great cause. And it is pretty darn yummy it is.
Speaker 4: And the four h has the Oxu extension, the farmers fraction breakfast. We do have to change something. The fairbuck says. The meal is seventy three cents. It's now eighty five cents inflation. We made the farmers five more cents profit.
Speaker 1: Okay, well good.
Speaker 4: And that's on Friday from seven thirty to ten thirty or until they run out.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, anytime you can get breakfast for under a buck, you're scoring deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's it's not a small breakfast either. It's it's a couple of eggs, some bacon, some.
Speaker 3: Toast, and you know, biscuit with jam, a basket with jam.
Speaker 4: And potatoes and a bottle of milk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't beat it.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you both for being here today and thanks for telling us about the free Fair, and uh, hopefully we're going to be out there for a good long time. I want to watch the donut munchers. I'm going to try to get some video on that, yes, because that's gonna be fun. You're gonna do the powdered doughnuts where you.
Speaker 3: Know it looks like you think that's a good idea, or maybe the.
Speaker 1: Chocolate where I'm maybe even jelly. Hey it why not all three?
Speaker 4: Right now? You guys are sitting there going we got.
Speaker 1: Some ideasator, I'm just looking for mayhem. That's all. Yeah, it's all I'm just a man, Okay, all right. Our broadcast has been brought to you today by Tall Grass Motors, Maternal Order Eagles also Get Real Ministries, and Arnold Moore and Nick Funeral Home in Wesley and Kitty College