Speaker 1: Okay, okay, if I am six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app is tech Thursday. You know that means Marshall Caller joins me in studio. Marsh is great to have you here each and every week. How are you this evening.
Speaker 2: It's so great to actually see you because when we have a camera, I can't see you.
Speaker 1: I know they can't see the layout. The cameras will be back tomorrow, so I'm told. But you know, when we have the setup, we don't have direct line of sight.
Speaker 2: Using right and I like to look at Mo because I like to see his reactions and believe me, he reacts, Oh I do. If there's something that he doesn't like, there's a reaction.
Speaker 1: I you know, I know that Google recently, well I don't know if they announced tell me this. I know that they're supposed supposed to have their annual event in August of this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, they have a couple of events.
Speaker 1: Okay, which they release their next exel watch and phone and fold and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, that'll be in August.
Speaker 1: But I'm not feeling any heat or momentum. We're already in June and people are not talking about it like they usually do.
Speaker 3: Are you feeling the same way about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For example, I saw the layout of the number of phones that Samsung has right now. It's ridiculous. It looks like about ten phones. Ten phones? What?
Speaker 3: Literally? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, I come eBay for dummies with my first book. I know about retail. That's too many skews for a phone company. SKU means stock keeping units, and that's the name.
Speaker 3: We're really dating ourselves.
Speaker 1: But go ahead, No they still use okay, well do they still call it the skews?
Speaker 3: Okay, skews?
Speaker 2: But yeah, so that's just too many to concentrate on. I say, okay, do three four phones?
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Googled has four phones.
Speaker 1: Technically, if you called the pixel, which will be the ten You know, they have the pixel and the pixel XL. I count that as two phones. Then they have the pixel fold and I think there's one other that they have.
Speaker 2: Well, and when you look at Apple, they have that new skinny phone. You know, I didn't hear any hue and cry, hey, we want a skinny phone, We want a skinny phone. No, because I can see that just sliding out through your hands. One cool thing I did see is the company that makes the keyboard that snaps onto an Apple I phone.
Speaker 3: I see that. That's very cool.
Speaker 2: Has now made that for the pixel Do you have a Pixel nine?
Speaker 3: I have a Pixel nine A.
Speaker 2: It would take it.
Speaker 1: And if you don't know, everyone has a virtual keyboard right now, and there are companies more than one, which are making actual tactile physical keyboards to attach to your phone.
Speaker 3: I think it's called clicks clicks, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: And what it does is it snaps onto your phone and you could actually use your thumbs. I can't use my thumbs on a screen. They slide on all around.
Speaker 1: I miss and I have more than just a few typos because I'm typing on a screen and it's not being unable to see it.
Speaker 2: It's just you can't feel where the right the letters are. Right back to the days of the old, you know, the BlackBerry, BlackBerry, absolutely the sidekick. These were phones that you could really feel the keys and it wasn't a key feeling. All we can say is it was like a bump and if you were in the middle of the bump, you knew you were there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't have to look at your hands, and you had a real sense of typing accurately.
Speaker 2: So they do make these, and hopefully the company will make it for other phones. I don't think they'll go backwards for the older phones, but I think that's a good thing because I wonder how much weight it sticks to it. Maybe I'll call them up and see if we can get one for you, mom.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to try it because I've wanted actual buttons for quite some time, but they had fallen out of favor with the demise of BlackBerry. And I do a lot of texting, so anything which enhances the keyboard experience I'm going to try.
Speaker 2: But I do have to tell you that I've started trying to dictating.
Speaker 3: My text speech to text. I'll do that as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, it does a pretty good job, and even when I look at the screen and I go, mmm, hasn't gotten it right, it'll all of a sudden correct itself to the right thing as it gets the rest of the sentence. But I'm not one of those people who like to sit and talk to my phone.
Speaker 1: I no, I don't do it either, with the exception of when I'm driving. Android Otto is beautiful and I can't recreate how it works.
Speaker 3: But it will ask me.
Speaker 1: I'll receive a text, it'll read it for me if I want it, It'll ask me do I want to reply? I say yes, and then it says, you know, what is it you want to say? And I'll say it, and then to say would you like to send? I say yes. And I can have text conversations in my car when I'm driving and never have to look at my phone.
Speaker 2: Well, I get distracted. I just you know, I have a thing. I don't do anything on my phone when I drive. Period. I don't want It's kind of like when I go on a plane and I fly a lot, I won't use the Wi Fi. I'm just there, the raw dog at it. I'll just put me on a plane, give me a meal, and give me a lay flat seat, and I'm in business.
Speaker 1: I don't see how you can do that, seriously, because you do enough international travel where there are some long hauls in between.
Speaker 2: Longest one I did was fourteen hours.
Speaker 1: I need at least four movies Wi Fi, And when I flew Korea Airlines to South Korea, there was no Wi Fi either coming or going.
Speaker 3: But I had already downloaded about six movies.
Speaker 2: You didn't sleep.
Speaker 1: I did do some sleeping, but also I'm very conscious of getting up and walking around so I don't develop blood clots and that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So I'm not trying to sleep the whole time.
Speaker 2: So where I wear compression socks on long flights, have always have because I knew somebody that got that, and I know.
Speaker 1: I had my brother in law's father who was a jazz musician. Unfortunately died at fifty seven because of an embolism. They thought that he got on a long haul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw somebody collapse walking out of a plane. I don't know. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It's a real thing. It's a very real thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if you're not going to if you're going to be on a long haul flight, at the very least, wear compression socks. Nobody has to know that their compression socks except once I wore compression pantyhose though, and then that was not yea, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think that's going to be something I'm going to see. Not a good idea consider, but you know.
Speaker 2: Not on a long haul flight. But uh, yeah, I love sleeping. I love planes ever since I was a little girl. My first flight was I was four years old.
Speaker 1: I see I'm not all that comfortable sleeping on planes all the time because I'm not a nervous flyer. But I'm not a at ease flyer, so that's funny.
Speaker 2: And yet when I go on a plane, I think to myself, if I'm going to die now I'm doing something I love.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I get it. And that's part of the reason why I do fly. In other words, I'm going to be flying out to Rome as part of this cruise we were talking about last segment, So Joe, But what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, I don't like to fly, but it's got Do I want to go to Rome or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You kind of have to have a plane.
Speaker 1: No, No, I just have to have a jack neat and you know, do the best I can with the movies I got, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And just be comfortable and enjoy it for what it is, because just flying it's a freaking miracle.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm probably so uncomfortable with it, because it's like, this is not supposed to stay in the air.
Speaker 2: Did you read the book by the captain that explained all of this. I read it once on a plane and it changed my whole outlook.
Speaker 1: I don't read about planes when I'm on the plane because I'm going to see something or read something which is going to make my mind more uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Okay. I went to Buenos Ayres on business and I had to land in Santiago, and from Santiago to Buenos Aires, and I went up the Andes Mountains and I saw.
Speaker 3: Oh god, the movie the movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was right there. I mean we were climbing in the plane and I'm looking out the window and oh my god, that was the most horrifying thing I ever saw. But you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah, there's certain places in the world I probably will never visit, if only because I've read enough about the approaches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, short runways, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But I have a thing against volcanoes. Volcanoes are just you put a volcano somewhere. I'm not going You're not flying over the volcano.
Speaker 3: Now it's Later with mo Kelly. We're just riffing.
Speaker 1: It is Marshall Collier who joins us in studio on this Tech Thursday KFI AM six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from K six forty KFI.
Speaker 3: Is Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and on this Tech Thursday. You know that means that Marcia Calier joins me in studio. Marsha, you and I we were talking during the break with there's some similarities in how we approach this online marketplace, how we spend money.
Speaker 2: Well, you and I have so many similarities. You're born December.
Speaker 3: Right, November late, November late.
Speaker 2: I'm December fourth.
Speaker 3: Within a week of each other, remember twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we are the same in so many different ways. But we actually look like brother and sister. We do some of you who've never noticed, Yeah, but yeah, we do things financially very similarly online.
Speaker 1: How should well, I should say, what is your recommendation for approaching paying for items online?
Speaker 3: There are a number of options. Let's say you go to Amazon.
Speaker 1: You can put in your credit card, or you know, you can put in your gift card, or you can I think you can attach you to.
Speaker 3: A PayPal account.
Speaker 2: I mean, what is your recommend Well, I love PayPal. If PayPal is an option, I pay by PayPal. They've been in business. I was at their launch. I have the first T shirt from PayPal. I have the first cap still in the plastic. I've trusted them. I know how they run their business. I was in on it in the beginning. I knew how they planned on making money and how it was going to work, and it all made sense to me. And they had to be very careful because they were the first.
Speaker 1: They were the first, but they've also reaped the benefits where they have I think the most relationships with online retailers in places where people spend money.
Speaker 3: I use PayPal as well.
Speaker 1: I'm very comfortable using it, and whenever there was an issue, they immediately addressed.
Speaker 2: It right and Square for example, Yes, I have a Square account as way, right now, I try all these different things for my accounts and you know my podcast. And it turned out when I first started Square, I said, folks, what about the sales tax? We have to be able to add sales tax to this. Then we don't do that. See, and that's a business that's not thought through. So when you're dealing with a financial business, you want a business that's thought through. Zell on the other hand, Mmmm, the app, I don't see that as so thought through real well, because of the security risks.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's a generational difference. But when I talk to people who are younger than me, I often hear zell. I more often hear venmo and cash app. Cash app seems like a bank robbery waiting to happen. More reputable businesses will use person to person for Venmo. Right, where do you come out on these cash exchange apps or what happens?
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the deal. If you're paying for a product or a service that you may need to write off your small business or you may, you better not be using it through any of these cash apps because you're not getting a receipt that says what it's for that you can use for your business. When I do business with someone person to person and they're selling me something, I asked them to send me a PayPal invoice, a legit invoice, and I pay it.
Speaker 1: You make a great point, because when I do my corporate taxes on personal taxes, the PayPal is because it's just itemized and I just go back there.
Speaker 2: It is right, right, And that's the difference. One is professional. Unfortunately, technology is making people dumber. I'm sorry, I'll be sorry. Sure you take a look at the apps. Even quick books, which used to be a robust, fabulous bookkeeping app is now this simple little dorky thing online and a corporation can't use it. They have to use something else altogether, because an accountant in the US government needs more information than that app is gonna and they want us to use less and less and have less control and throw the control and it's all right, everything's fine, it's safe and every yeah, until you get audited. When you get audited again.
Speaker 1: And I've been audited, so I know what that's like. You bet very invasive, right, how did you feel? It was less about what I felt. It was the inability to actually talk to someone and being required to facts all this information that they were asking for because the irs will not work by emails, like I can email you a PDF. No, you have to fax it to us. It's like you gotta be kiddy. So it made it very difficult to want fine fact services. I signed up for a fact service to literally facts over this stuff. But it was, oh it was not only was it invasive, it was a pain in the behind. And I don't think people understand how many hoops you have.
Speaker 3: To jump through.
Speaker 2: Well, and one of the main things one of my best selling books was starting an eBay business and not taught people how to run a small business online in depth. And the book still stands, and even though it was written a decade ago, it still stands because business practices are business practices. And the thing is they're encouraging people to do business now without proper backup, without proper documentation, like even eBay. Now, when they send the money to the seller, they've already deducted their fees the postage. And if you want to post everything correctly, which frankly a lot of people don't do anymore, you have to go two steps back and figure out how much the fees were was and then deduct that from the cost of goods sold or whatever. We'll keep anything you put it under. They make it very hard and yet in the end we have to pay the price. It's the same thing with cars. You know they say the best car, this is it. I mean, you know, we can talk about cars all day, but once you've landed with one. I heard Mark Thompson talking about is Tesla, you can get stuck. You can't just walk in anymore and take somebody's word for their software. That's why I do what I do. I test things I work on them. I don't take freebies from companies because then they want you to review them.
Speaker 1: Well, it almoso like you feel Obligated's like, we gave you this product to review.
Speaker 3: You can't just slam them.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's almost inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Well, when I accept something to review, I always if I accept it, I say if it sucks, I'm going to say it sucks.
Speaker 1: Sweet it should be. So there you go, Marshall Collier. It is always great to see you. It's even better to learn from you. How can people reach you?
Speaker 2: I'm sadly still on X. I can't help. The algorithm is killing me on X, just just killing me, and it's so futile. But I check there every day because I have some friends that are on there, and I look at their stuff every day, and I go through when somebody mentions me, so at me marsha at m A R S H A C O L L I E R or go to Marshall Collier dot com and hit contact Marshall.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next week. We'll have the cameras next week, I promise.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I wore makeup and everything.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, you know, I wore Pattihose I just like there's no reason for it. It's Later with Moe Kelly. We'll see you soon. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI a M six forty