Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio appen I rag on the government all the time. And look at what I found in my mail box. It's a check from the State of California. Hey, now, I filled out one of those online things of the state owes you money because of like bills or things that they didn't need.
Speaker 2: To charge you for. Oh yai, how much to the tune of one hundred and twelve dollars and thirty five cents.
Speaker 3: Oh so that's why we're running a deficit in the state of California.
Speaker 1: Now, well, I'm just saying I filled this out like maybe two weeks ago, and the check was pretty quick. Good job, State of California. I never say that lost property or whatever property fund it is. Yes, huh, how about that. Maybe I'll go check that out and see if I got any.
Speaker 2: Use all your addresses, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: I had my address.
Speaker 1: Oh well, if you have, I've had a lot of addresses, so I had like three or four addresses to put in there.
Speaker 3: Did they explain what it is? They explained what you Yeah, oh, and you didn't care.
Speaker 2: I don't remember it.
Speaker 1: It was just silly stuff like you know, like a credit card company or overdraft things like that that didn't oh you oh that they kind of monitor I guess when the state goes after the companies and there's a judgment made, the state kind of keeps track of it.
Speaker 3: I want to say, so, you're gonna cut a little check to Rob Bonta as a tip of any kind?
Speaker 4: Are you going to?
Speaker 1: No, that's not the controller anymore. By the way, it's m he's the ag Malia Cohen is who wrote this check. Oh okay, so there you go.
Speaker 3: Well, welcome to Wednesday. It's January twenty second. A lot going on today. We'll talk a little bit more about the January sixth pardons that came out because Republicans in Congress are upset as to exactly how this thing played out. And to be honest, there were some last minute decisions that were made about that whole thing that took even some of the members of the administration by surprise. We'll talk about that we got to do. We're gonna have to do something about AI.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a great AI story today, and this is what they should lead with in my opinion, and it's how AI could be used in the medical world in terms of diagnoses, in terms of AI being there when you talk to your physician or your surgeon or whoever is handling your care, and AI kind of takes notes, you know how. You know, you always want to bring someone with you so that they remember the things because you're still kind of in shock at your body.
Speaker 2: What's happening to you? What have you?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: So you want somebody else there. And this is just another another net to catch all the information and being a way for AI to soak in all that information and then have a say in like what the roadmap looks like in terms of care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one thing I want to see AI involved in my taxes. Okay, I hate I just hate everything about taxes.
Speaker 2: I do too, and I did dreading it. I've been dreading it.
Speaker 1: I've got to make a freaking tax appointment because my tax guy tries to like swindle an extra appointment and the end of the year and then I never do it. And then that's the pointment where they want to make the appointment to do the taxes. And I can't stand my tax guy. But I keep going back to him.
Speaker 4: My tax guy closed up shop.
Speaker 3: Really, I got to notice it had to be right at the beginning of December. It was like, Hey, we're closing December thirty first, so you're on your own.
Speaker 1: Wow, so now what you haven't figured out yet? I feel better yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do, I do have some time, and I'm not opposed to the idea of doing it myself. But I just I was explaining this to my daughter because she was asking me, like, what do I do for taxes? And she's got she's got one employer, so she can do turbo tax she can be Yeah, she'd be fine with it. I have a little bit more involved with it, with donations and write offs and all that sort of stuff. So it's it's a little bit more complicated than that. And I'm I just I'm terrified at the idea that I do something wrong and put my family at risk be that way. That's why I say I want AI to do it. It should not be I should not be fearful like that. Now, that's what they do to you. They make you fearful, and most people you're just fine. Most people screw up their taxes, nothing ever comes of it. Right, They're not going to come handcuff you and put you away. I don't know that that's one of the scams.
Speaker 1: By the way, they say, the IRS is calling and we're going to put you away unless you wire us gift cards for crying out loud. Yeah, so we'll tackle that. Also, we will be getting rain here this weekend. What does that mean already? Emergency declarations for the burn areas will get into how much rain. I'm excited for parenting with Justin to come back. We're going to be talking about playing favorites between children. You know what happens. The hardest age to parent your child may surprise.
Speaker 4: You twenty five, twenty two, eight twenty.
Speaker 1: Just because that's where you're at right now. Yeah, trust me, it's.
Speaker 3: It is different than the case for the teenage years.
Speaker 1: Me. I think it depends on your kids, it does. I think you're probably right.
Speaker 3: My wife always likes to say that she she had our kids were so different. I mean they and they continue to be very different. Our son was an absolute joy between the ages of zero and eight, not that he'd turned into a devil, but I mean he was happy, and he was funny, and he was creative. And he could keep himself busy. Our daughter was just so clinging and wanted every She had fingers in her mouth the whole time, and just was a mess physically, I mean healthy, but like dirty, and she had bumps on her feet that were weird. She looked like the third creature from the from the substance.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was a mess.
Speaker 3: And then turns into this absolutely gorgeous and intelligent and hardworking, self determined, self motivating.
Speaker 2: Your son is all of those things.
Speaker 3: Also, but very different that's okay, but very different personalities.
Speaker 1: But all of those things that you just said, you're he's gorgeous. Okay, you made it weird, I use.
Speaker 3: A different term. Can I go back and erase that and say, but he's a handsome.
Speaker 1: Hard working, he's intelligent, he's all of those things. You did very well with both of them in different paths, and that's how kids go. Like I was a disaster of fifteen. I mean I was a real hell raiser.
Speaker 4: Are you doing that?
Speaker 1: And at twenty five I was fine self determined motivated. Yeah yeah, So I mean I was always self determined and motivated. I just also made really really bad decisions.
Speaker 3: Uh, smoky, Chipotle, Tabasco. That's your thing, that is, if you can find it. That is my absolute favorite hot sauce to put on whatever I'm going to put hot sauce on.
Speaker 1: We are asking you for your favorite hot sauce. I I'm partial. It depends on what I'm putting it on. I mean, my husband will put serrachia on everything, and that's fine, but the consistency for me sometimes needs to be a waterrier, you know, like if I'm gonna throw it on eggs or something. Patio is kind of my hot my my like happy medium. Okay, not too thick, not too watery, but anyway.
Speaker 3: It's also top of TiO seems to be less vinegarya than Tabasco.
Speaker 4: Tabasco.
Speaker 2: I love Tabasco. Tabasco is what I have in my purse.
Speaker 3: Oh you and Hillary Clinton? Yeah okay, but what is your favorite hot sauce? Oh and here's the other thing. What's the crazy thing that you put hot sauce on that no one else does?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: I put a heart. I put it on hard boiled eggs. Is that weird?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, eggs, It's a very common. I would say. My husband put it on fried rice.
Speaker 2: The other night.
Speaker 1: That was good, Sacha or Serrachia. Yeah, it was a nice little that would be good. Yeah, trying to get some hot.
Speaker 2: Sauce anyway, what's your favorite hot sauce?
Speaker 1: Let us know, use that top back feature on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You just tap tap tap that little microphone bingo.
Speaker 3: And apparently Donald Trump made the decision probably hours before inauguration that he was going to just do a blanket pardon for everybody involved with James quote it release them all, efit release them all.
Speaker 2: You are going to have.
Speaker 1: To you refresh my recollection about who mister Beast is.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's YouTube guy.
Speaker 1: Mister Beast apparently was in the conversation to buy TikTok.
Speaker 2: He is not in the bidding.
Speaker 1: Race just yet, but he has said on x that he'd buy TikTok so it doesn't get banned.
Speaker 2: What does mister Beast do on YouTube?
Speaker 3: I will say I'm not the biggest mister Beast guy, but among other things, he does contests where you could win a million dollars if you can stick your tongue on a flagpole for nine hours.
Speaker 2: How does he bankroll this?
Speaker 3: Just advertisement? Me started as a small guy in terms of doing goofy stunts and stuff and then may turn it into competitions.
Speaker 2: Our faces are doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or it's just like Dutch.
Speaker 3: I mean. The thing is, I think he's one of, if not the most subscribed channels on all of YouTube, which I mean ten years ago we would have said that, and we would have said, oh, that's so cute.
Speaker 4: He's got a hobby. But I mean, this guy makes millions and millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Now he's got a show I think on Amazon is it Amazon, It's got on one of the streaming services that's called The Beast Games where it's this competition this you know, I almost if it was a Japanese game show twelve years ago, you would go, oh, I get it, And that's what he's doing now.
Speaker 4: But he's doing it for all kinds of money. Anyway.
Speaker 3: National Weather Service has extended it's red flag warning for La and Ventura Counties until tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: You're supposed to expire.
Speaker 3: Last night, they said the winds are going to pick up again this afternoon, so to be careful. They are going to keep that red flag warning in place until tomorrow night. But as you heard Amy mentioned, there is rain in the forecast, and in some areas of southern California we could see as much as a third of an inch of rain on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 1: In the vein of our talkback question today, in terms of what your favorite hot sauce is, did you know Trump has a hot sauce haben Niero hot sauce. One of our friends texted, spicy but not too hot, A tiny bit sweet, very yummy. It's about is viscous as tapatillo.
Speaker 2: And here's the label.
Speaker 1: It's got Donald Trump on it and his red make America Great Again happened over great. They have super imposed the word hot, so it's called make America Hot Again hot sauce. We also heard from our friend Dave over at ABC who likes Trappies Indie pep West Indian style pepper sauce.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I've never heard of that before.
Speaker 1: And then our buddy Michael says he likes Tabasco on regular wavy lays potato chips. Overall, I like any hot salcea that is cilantro heavy. I do like that, Like when you go to Mexico and they give you can buy potato chips on the Street with the hot sauce corn chips.
Speaker 4: They give you potato chips.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, really, oh yeah, delicious, nice and greasy.
Speaker 3: So President Trump's pardon of the January sixth defendants was a last minute decision, according to some White House advisors who had spoken to Axios. They said this move to go big on these pardons sheds light on his unpredictable decision making process.
Speaker 4: JD.
Speaker 3: Vance said on Sunday, January sixth, I'm sorry, said on Fox News Sunday that January sixth convicts who assaulted police probably should not get a pardon or clemency in any He said, if you committed violence that day, obviously you shouldn't be part of pardoned.
Speaker 1: Trump's team was said to have wrestled with the issue, and they were planning this shock and a batch of executive orders that we saw yesterday, and apparently when they were talking about this, Trump just said, efitt release them all. That's according to an advisor familiar with those discussions.
Speaker 4: Now he at the time.
Speaker 3: In an interview in December, he see didn't rule out clemency for anybody accused of or convicted of attacking police, but said we're going to look at individual cases, which clearly he didn't. One of the officers who was there that day who has become sort of a media darling is Michael Fanone. I don't think he's an officer anymore, but he was one of those guys who was attacked by other people, and he obviously has said that he felt betrayed by this decision and his description of just a few of the people who were either accused of or convicted of assaulting him that day.
Speaker 5: They are Daniel Rodriguez, an individual who applied a taser device to by neck while I was being restrained multiple times. Daniel Rodriguez admitted his conduct, pled guilty, and was sentenced to twelve and a half years in prison. He is now free. Ile Young pled guilty. Admitted that while I was being restrained, assaulted and beaten, he attempted to remove my gun from its holster, all while individuals were telling him to kill me with my gun.
Speaker 2: So this is what happened. Trump has attention span problem. It takes one to know one Going through.
Speaker 1: A case by case basis of these people on January sixth is onerous at best. It requires a lot of briefings, a lot of presentations, a lot of people coming in telling you what happened, timelines, just stuff that you really have to focus for and have attention span for.
Speaker 2: He does not. And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: As they began to take this by a case by case basis and what that would entail.
Speaker 2: That's when Trump said, effet part of I don't want to deal with this.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a problem with this outside of just the people the Faternal Order of Police and m gonna screw up the other group name. They come out with a statement that was like, what are you doing? How would you possibly say your pro cop, your pro police, you're pro blue? And then you do this, You allow so many of these people who were now not all of them were convicted of assaulting police officers, but there were enough, and they're easy enough to find that you don't need to pardon.
Speaker 1: He needed somebody, a point person to come in and just be like, these are the people. Just slap the papers on the desk. These are the people that went after cops. These are the people we're not going to party right these people.
Speaker 3: There's two piles, the people who were trespassing or whatever that the charges were, and the ones who were assaulting cops.
Speaker 4: There is a problem with this, though.
Speaker 3: You've got sixteen hundred ish people who were either pardoned or had their sentences commuted, who now are going to be on the radar of every media outlet in the country. And if any one of these people does anything wrong, gets arrested at a at a rally for something, gets a traffic ticket, they're going to be held up as an example of the kind of person, whether they deserve it or not, the kind of person that that Donald Trump likes. This is a mistake on his part to have done this because he also puts his own vice president in a bad light, because Jade Vance was going around talking about how they're going to do this on an individual basis. Pam Bondy the New ag Incoming Age.
Speaker 1: They said that Trump already had his mind made up. He did not change his mind that when jd Vance went on Fox News that he got in a little over his skis, but it's no big deal, they said. The bottom line is, according to a Trump transition source, never get ahead of the boss because you.
Speaker 2: Just never know.
Speaker 4: And listen.
Speaker 3: The idea that Joe Biden pardoned his family members or January sixth, Committee member or other people who might be potentially targeted by Trump.
Speaker 4: That's just as bad to me.
Speaker 3: This is an absolute both of those examples of abuse of the pardon power that exists in the presidency. La Mayor Bass has come out with an emergency executive order to try to shore up some of our burn areas and stem the flow of debris in the event of rain this weekend. The order directs more city resources to help clear hillsides clean up existing debris if it's some water flow away from affected areas where possible in those fires. The expectation is that if we do see some rain, it would probably be Saturday. As of right now, they're saying on the high end it would be about a third of an inch of rain. Any rain would help in terms of fire danger, obviously, but too much rain would be a bad thing.
Speaker 1: Well, Donald Trump announced a joint project yesterday when it comes to AI.
Speaker 2: It's called Stargate.
Speaker 1: Stargate would invest up to fifty excuse me, five hundred billion dollars over the next four years to build the infrastructure to support AI development. Now, the money is often something you just gloss over, but in this case, it's substantial. Five hundred billion dollars. Open Ai, Oracle and soft Bank are the initial equity investors for the project. But Elon Musk is the first to raise his hand and say what he says. They actually don't have the money. He says, soft Bank has well under ten billion secured. I have that on good authority. And Trump was quite optimistic yesterday. Musk was more of the realist.
Speaker 4: Musk was the one.
Speaker 3: He is saying, obviously as a head of Department of Government and Efficiency of Government efficiency, that this might be one of those things that he has to target. As a matter of fact, if you remember, a couple of weeks ago, the soft Bank CEO Masa Yoshi so was standing with Donald Trump and they made the original, one of these original announcements, and he said that he was going to offer one hundred billion, and Donald Trump goes, okay, you want to make a two hundred, We'll make a two hundred. And the guy was like, well, listen, hold on, let's see how uh, let's see how things go. This this newer AI technology requires a massive amount of electricity.
Speaker 4: Keep massive.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind, this is Trump's mo o. Okay, you go back to the Apprentice and yes, haha, reality show. But you learn a lot about President Trump from watching that show and about his personality and about how he works with people and how he drives people. And one of the things he uses and he always has is competition. Yes, Elon Musk looks like his golden tech boy right now. Head of Doge got rid of Vivic Ramaswami so that Elon could kind of have the run of the house sort of so to speak. But now Trump is throwing in these other AI company. Now, Elon Musk just raised six billion in new funding for his AI company. But here's Trump going to open AI Oracle and SoftBank and saying, let's see what they can do. You know, he's he he uses them as racehorses against each other to get production. It's not an awful scheme. It's not a great idea, absolutely, and so and so Elon Musk. It's in Elon Musk's interest for this not to become a thing because of his own AI company.
Speaker 3: One of the things that comes under this umbrella of this expansion of AI and this investment of into artificial intelligence was a pledge that he's going to cure cancer. Sam Altman was talking about the medical hopes for the plan, I said it was the most important project of this era. Says that diseases from cancers and heart ailments from cancer's two heart ailments could be cured at an unprecedented rate, and that cures will be coming at a rapid rapid rate. One of the most exciting things they said they're working on this would have been Larry Allison, who said, this is using the tools that Sam and Masayoshi are providing a cancer vaccine. He said, you could do early cancer detection with the blood tests, and using AI to look at the blood test, you can find cancers that are actually seriously threatening the person. So again, cancer diagnosis using AI has the promise of just being a simple blood test. Well, we've all lived through that before and seeing that get we all got taken.
Speaker 4: By Elizabeth Holmes.
Speaker 3: Now there is some pushback to all of this because, for example, Justine Bateman has become a voice for again. She and her brother diametrically opposed when it comes to politics, follow La Law, but she has become a voice of reason in a world of craziness in some places. She said, generative is one of the worst ideas society has ever invented. It's going to hollow people out by taking their jobs. It's going to make them feel they can't do the simplest of things for themselves. Ingrain learned helplessness all to fill the pockets of these tech bros. And this will not make us better. It is a regurgitation of the past. It is not the future. That is the most interesting way I've seen AI described, because remember what AI does is look at all the things we've done before chat GPT, for example, looks at documents that all existed on the Internet and the intellectual properties that are at least nine months old. It doesn't talk about refocusing for whatever the future is.
Speaker 4: It's at this point.
Speaker 3: It can take that information and kind of suss out what is the most important.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't do anything for the future.
Speaker 3: So there is some pushback to as great as AI may be, it's not the thing that's going to save humanity and may actually have a negative effect on it.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about the play of mittens, or shall I say the flight of mittens? The flight of mittens, the flight and the flight of Untain's mittens is a coon cat from Maine.
Speaker 4: That's a big cat is it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll show me hands.
Speaker 3: I'll show you a picture. Somebody just sent me a picture yesterday of Why.
Speaker 2: Would someone send you a picture of a coon cat?
Speaker 3: We were sharing pictures of pets. It's not really you need to know.
Speaker 2: So that's what you do on your downtime.
Speaker 4: Look at that. Look how big that is?
Speaker 2: That is a big cat. Who's the dude one of the.
Speaker 4: Guys from camp.
Speaker 3: You guys are showing pet pictures. Now, he's an oncologist. Okay, I don't know why that makes a difference, but he's got a big cat.
Speaker 2: That's very cool.
Speaker 1: So Mittens is this coon cat from Maine that accidentally flew three times between New Zealand and Australia this month. Her cage, Mitton's cage, was mistakenly left in the plane's cargo hold.
Speaker 4: Cold.
Speaker 1: Mittens was booked on a one way trip from New Zealand with her owner to their new home in Melbourne Melbourne, but apparently Margo waited hours for her cat before learning the plane had returned to New Zealand with Mittens still on board. They're finally reunited. The airline has apologized. Margo says Mittens has been extra cuddly since her travels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're probably a front hypothermia.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So we're talking about artificial intelligence in the in the health industry, and this new stargate initiative that President Trump is going to be pouring money into AI in art is very different, and there are a lot of people who have argued it should have no place in art. It should be notified you, you should be told if AI is used to create art in any way. And the movie The Brutalist Adrian Brody is getting a lot of Oscar buzz. The movie itself is getting a lot of Oscar buzz as well, but it comes out now that in an interview with the tech magazine Red Shark, and the editor said AI tools have been deployed in order to improve parts of the movie, specifically the Hungarian dialogue of Adrian Brody and Felicity Jones, the two actress actors involved in the lead roles.
Speaker 1: The editor is a native Hungarian speaker and says, I know that that is one of the most difficult languages to learn to pronounce.
Speaker 2: It's extremely unique.
Speaker 1: They wanted it perfect so that not even locals would spawn any difference.
Speaker 3: So what they did was Adrian Brody and Felicity Jones would record their voices into AI software, and this guy, this native Hungarian speaker, would feed his voice to try to finesse some of the trickier parts of the dialogue. And they said, most of their Hungarian dialogue has a part of me talking in there. So they would take the Hungarian guy's voice and sort of map the audio of either Adrian's voice or Felicity's voice so that they would hit the exact pronunciations. And he said, to be honest, it's really just a little bit. It's mainly replacing just a few letters here and there to nail the pronunciations.
Speaker 1: He also revealed that AI was used in the final sequence of The Brutalist to create a series of architectural drawings and finished buildings in the style of the main character Laslow Toth. All of this with people up in arms about it is silly to me, because isn't that what Hollywood has always been smoking mirrors?
Speaker 2: CGI pretend it is.
Speaker 3: Funny that this is where some people have drawn the line I would die on this hill. Yeah, I mean CGI is one of those I don't remember there being a lot of people suggesting, well, you fooled me because I thought that that was not CGI. I mean, the most recent example, it's not a great one, is the bus scene in Deadpool versus Wolverine or Deadpool and Wolverine. There was a lot lot of CGI that went into that and it made people angry. But there's no way you'd be able to choreograph a fight scene with hundreds of people at that.
Speaker 1: Come on, you know, the monster and the substance also not real if we're gonna be calling.
Speaker 3: But that was practical. I mean, that was actually somebody built that model. And yeah, fascinating. I love how people's minds were. Paul Schrader, by the way, most recognizable as the screenwriter between Behind Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, The Canyons, this new movie that came out.
Speaker 4: It turns out.
Speaker 3: He says that the AI generated movies and screenplays are better than a lot of the things that that humans are able to.
Speaker 2: Come right, and that's what scares people. That's what scares people. Jen has weighed in.
Speaker 1: She says Trader Joe's hop an arrow hot Sauce is the best. She says, also a trick of the trade is to check out the sodium content. Legit hot sauce needs to be under one hundred milligrams sodium. Any sauce that is above a hundred milligrams is white people hot sauce.
Speaker 2: Oh good to know.
Speaker 3: Hi guys, this is Lann.
Speaker 1: My son likes Dill pickle hot sauce, and there's actually one called I think Dill pickle crack.
Speaker 4: I don't know, pretty weird, but that's what he likes.
Speaker 2: I like anything labeled top brass.
Speaker 3: And bitchen sauce on his pizza.
Speaker 5: Just crazy to me.
Speaker 3: You might want to get your son some counseling, though. Why dill pickle that sounds good. I love a Dill pickle hot sauce. Sure, I mean I understand the vinegar content, right, That's part of what makes sense.
Speaker 2: Like pickles on everything. M all right, coming in.
Speaker 3: You miss any part of our show, do not forget to listen to the podcast. You can go to KFI A M six forty dot com slash Gary and Shannon. Find it there or anywhere you find your podcast. Just search for Gary and Chant d.
Speaker 1: E D yeah x p t q AI layoffs.
Speaker 2: When we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on kf I am six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app