Speaker 1: All right, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: My name is Sandy, coming to us from the Windy City, the city with broad shoulders from Chicago.
Speaker 1: JB is with us today.
Speaker 3: Wait, city with broad shoulders. I've never heard that, neither of you never heard that before, Wendy City, I've heard a million times. What is the story behind broad shoulders, I've never heard.
Speaker 1: I don't. I just thought that was a slogan of Chicago.
Speaker 2: I just have heard it before, the city with broad shoulder, city broad shoulders.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe Amy, I mean, just made it up.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Sometimes that happens too. I think I know things, and it's really just things I've made up.
Speaker 4: Why is Chicago called a big shoulders you're close.
Speaker 1: Close? What does it say?
Speaker 4: It's called big shoulders just because it's a hard working city. Yeah, just as hard working class kind of city.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the elitist New York or the Hollywood LA.
Speaker 1: Or the techie Austin. Yeah, all right, so I've never heard that. I learned like I like learning stuff? Well, you like learning? I like learning stuff to trist you like learning?
Speaker 4: I mean it's when I feel like it, uh.
Speaker 1: JB. Telebody quickly. Why while you're up in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm just up here, uh for a couple of days. I just got in. Uh. I do some some work with these power sports industry consultants, Like that's motorcycles, ATVs, boats, wave runners, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Side by sides the big into that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's actually like one of the fastest growing segments in power sports. Probably the fasting is the fastest is those side by sides and so and Now that's a weird turn, but that's like these off road where it looks like you're in a cage and you go off roading and it's super safe and fun, and yeah, that's a huge thing. Now.
Speaker 2: I flipped one a couple of summers ago and broke and broke the frame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, I didn't know it was a side by side.
Speaker 2: Been going too fast out of a turn and just kat got out front of me, me and did two flips and landed on the top.
Speaker 3: But that's that's the point of why it's so popular now because what one you're still here if that was that was a motorcycle accident, right, yeah, not so safe. But these side by sides with the roll cages and you can do it with your you know, your significant other, your kids. Like there's it's it's huge. We got, we got, we were flipped over.
Speaker 2: It was with my buddy more up in anything to see that he was pissed me.
Speaker 1: It was he was pissed at me.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't his wasn't even his, and he was just mad that I was driving crazy. And but what was funny about it is, you know, people get these things and they get him all tricked out with winches and all kinds of stuff and we're flipped over on the hood. We got out and we're standing there like a couple of hillbilly's from Texas like, well, what do.
Speaker 1: We do now? What do we do? We call somebody?
Speaker 2: And no, thirty seconds later, this crew of guys rolled up in one of They're like, hey.
Speaker 1: You need some help.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they got the winch out.
Speaker 3: They looked it up and off road people get off on rescuing other off road people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a badge of honor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also kind of a karma thing. I call it, like, so I call it boat karma. I'm like like rilling boats. If someone's broken down and you just you want to drive by and ignore it. But you're like a boat karma. I got to have them because because it's going to come around.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Speaking of boats, have you heard about the flying boat on Lake Austin.
Speaker 1: No, No, flying is kind of a loose term.
Speaker 2: It's a they call it a flying electric boat is now at Lake Austin.
Speaker 1: The Four Seasons.
Speaker 2: Lake Austin partnered up with the company called Nevere and thirty and it is a hydrofoil boat. So there's a hydrofoil in the front and the back and once it gets up to speed, the boat part of it raises up in the air.
Speaker 1: You're just cruising along Lake Austin.
Speaker 2: They said they're going to launch twenty more of these electric boats across the United States by the end of this year.
Speaker 1: And there's does fly at foils? Correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You've probably seen a hydrofoil someone riding a board, you know, behind a boat.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it was probably twenty years ago when they introduced this in America's Cup.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, And it was a big deal whether it was legal, yeah, Yachting Races, America's American Cup, America's Cup yeah, it's it's it's sail boat racing.
Speaker 3: And then I think it was the US that showed up with a foil.
Speaker 1: Yep, it just destroyed everybody.
Speaker 3: Basically, the whole thing lifts out of the water and it's barely touching the water.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: And so it is pretty cool, and it's for for people at the residents at Lake Austin if they want to get from one part of the lake to the other. Now, I didn't know you could have any kind of powered boat on that part of the lake where the Four Seasons is.
Speaker 3: Oh. I wasn't even thinking about that when you said that. I was thinking of Lake Austin, SPA. And you said, you see you said four Seasons because you don't. You can't have motorized boats on Lake Austin except for the boat supporting the crew people.
Speaker 4: Right, it's downtown the Four Seasons. Yeah, right there.
Speaker 2: Interesting maybe because it's electric. I have no idea. I dug into this and couldn't find much more than that. It's pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: So you like dodging all the paddle borders, No kidding, there's a They're everywhere. Have you seen have you driven across Lake Austin on a weekend and I do it every how many padal boarders are out there, It's like, do.
Speaker 2: It every Sunday, Jam, Yeah, every Sunday when I come across. I'm heading north at about noon on every Sunday and as I drive across, I always look out there and to my right it's just packed.
Speaker 1: It's insane, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I remember when JB first got You knew someone that was in the stand up pedal board business or something like that, and you had one and you were explaining it to me and you're like, dude, this is going to be huge.
Speaker 1: You stand up pedal for something like, you're out of your mind wants to who wants to do that?
Speaker 4: I remember doing one and my abs were so sore for so long. It's it's a huge ab workout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're you're you're balancing and so you're you're having fun and but you're balancing, so you don't even realize you're working out.
Speaker 2: The super fun For those of who don't know, it's basically standing up on a surfboard with a paddle, yeah, and cruising around doing it that way. So anyway, Sanda Pattleports support of the Future coming up just a little bit. Tricia has got the story we love and I gotta tell you about it. I think a great senior prank at at Austin High School. Tricia, you're going to be proud of your Marina. I don't know, right what are you having? The story we love?
Speaker 4: All right, Texas Monthly's twenty twenty five list of the fifty best barbecue joints has been released. It's only released every four years. I'm going to tell you kind of where Austin and right around Austin stands, and I'm going to let you know that I have discovered the world's greatest job.
Speaker 1: All right, stay with us.
Speaker 2: The story we love coming up on Austin's eighties station one oh three point Texas Monthly's Best Barbecue issue is out and Trista's going to tell us how Austin, Central Texas fared in that list.
Speaker 1: That's in just a moment.
Speaker 2: But first, Tricia is a proud graduate of Austin High School. M hmm, oil Forever, Loil Forever, where they're incredibly intimidating.
Speaker 1: Mascot of mister Marou, which.
Speaker 4: Is a maroon puffball, doesn't really strike fear into the hearts of the competitors.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't, but they may want to change their name to the Austin High Camel. I know because the senior prank this year at Austin High is they got a camel brought to the school. I don't know how they did it or what they did, but it's pretty damn funny.
Speaker 4: They had to get it cleared and they had a camel handler handler. That's hard to say there the whole time to make sure the animal was was taken care of. But yes, that was that was their senior prank, to have a camel on campus.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just cruising around. Can like walk it through the building, Like what what do they do? Yeah, all the above. Just took it around the school. Yeah, walked it around. It had handler. I'm reading that right now. It had handlers. But still pretty damn funny.
Speaker 4: To get so random, right, a camel.
Speaker 2: So and today let's get a camel and bring it to school for a senior frank.
Speaker 1: We two humps. She's a one humper. Saw a picture. He's a one hunter one hump chump? What he is?
Speaker 4: I think it's more expensive to get a two humper.
Speaker 1: You wrote a camel once, didn't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Landard, I did at the zoo in Omaha. Our camel's name was Angie. I remember that.
Speaker 1: It must have been when you were not with me, because I don't remember the whole I.
Speaker 4: Think we might have gone with your mom with Apple.
Speaker 2: I got you so way to go Austin High. But still, you guys can do better than mister Marou the puffball master.
Speaker 3: I think I think the big the big senior. It was not my class. I don't remember my class doing anything. This is a Georgetown High, and I actually graduated from.
Speaker 1: Westwood in northwest Austin, but I spent more time in Georgia.
Speaker 3: They put like an old Volkswagen on top of the building, like the class before meing.
Speaker 1: Really that was kind of fun. That's pretty clever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know the seniors at Landry's school. They just taped up the bottom and top end of the stairwell and filled it with balloons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 5: That was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah too. I don't think my senior class did anything.
Speaker 4: I don't really recall ours doing anything.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: From the Loser Whole studio.
Speaker 4: All right, So the twenty twenty five edition of Texas Monthly's fifty Best Barbecue Joints in Texas has come out. It only comes out every four years, which I guess it's because the barbecue editor the best job ever. His name is Daniel Vaughn. How do you get that job as barbecue editor?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: He and his staff traveled to three hundred and nineteen barbieq spots across the lone Star state in order to do this list. That's literally their job is just to drive around an eat barbecue.
Speaker 1: That's like trying one almost daily for a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, I think it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I only job better than Matt would be ranking the best strip bars in Peas.
Speaker 1: Know there's some bad ones.
Speaker 4: With the bad Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Streamers on thirty five strip I don't remember the one if I thirty five dreamers is the porn chop.
Speaker 3: I found that I found. I don't mean to go off on tangent, but I found the most disgusting ones.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a mission. It was me and some of my college buddies in Dallas. I said, let's see if we can find the worst booby bar in town tonight.
Speaker 1: Now is this hold on?
Speaker 3: And we went to a whole bunch of them, and we ended up going to one. We didn't get there till after hours, but they still served us. Like after two a m.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was Shay Pussycat in Dallas on North US Highway by Bachman Lake, and we're like, okay, well they're selling us beards. After two am we were probably twenty three ish and that was the goal, let's find the worst strip bar in town.
Speaker 1: It got so no one was coming out.
Speaker 3: We're like, oh, that's pretty good if you want to be the worst. And then they had this small it was like it was in a strip center and they had a small rotating floor. And then finally someone came out to strip no less than eight months pregnant.
Speaker 1: Oh did you look at your buddies and go we found it. We got it right here. Wow.
Speaker 4: That was so disturbing.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Wow. Not one of the I mean hey, not one of the proudest moments in my life. But you see, but you see, we were doing it for the novelty, right right, R great challenge.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we weren't, cause we enjoyed it. It was like, how bad can this get?
Speaker 4: Maybe Texas Monthly will do our write up, y'all, So tell us about the barbecue.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: Very happy, that's okay, very happy to say that two Austin barbecue joints made the top ten list. Number six, yep, Interstellar Barbecue.
Speaker 1: I've heard Michel Award winner. Yeah, I haven't been to that one.
Speaker 4: I've heard about it so many too.
Speaker 1: I would say Franklin's and Terry Blacks.
Speaker 4: No, they did not make the top ten lists. There were a lot of things, a lot of the ones that are been regulars in like the top ten lists that did not make it because there are so many new barbecue places that are like infusing different cultures and stuff into the barbecue, and Franklin's and Terry Blacks are more traditional and they've been at the top for a long time. Number to Leroy and Lewis Barbecue and Austin.
Speaker 1: By the way till everybody.
Speaker 2: Interstellar is on Lake Creek Parkway off six point twenty.
Speaker 4: That's that's in our neck book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I so Leroy and Lewis. I've ridden by this on my bike. It's like it's like Ben White and Banister or something like that.
Speaker 4: Whoa out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've ridden It's a new it's a new building, and I was like, oh, I bet that's good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go try it.
Speaker 3: I will go try this and get back to everybody because I've written by it and I got I just had a feeling it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another one I would put on there. I'm surprised it should be on there.
Speaker 3: I've been touting it at the at the demise of not being able to get barbecue because they run out. But Brown's Barbecue on South First and a trailer.
Speaker 4: Brown's Barbecue did not make it. They had the top ten and then they had a list of the best of the rest, which was all over Texas. Briskets is one of them. Franklin Barbecue made the best of the rest. The barbeque made the list of the best of the rest. Mm hm, Styles switch barbecue, Oh go ahead.
Speaker 3: They don't do it all the time. There's there's a few styles switch locations and the one and drip only that one for some reason, and it's not the right time of year to tell you, but they do a brisket gumbo.
Speaker 4: That sounds good.
Speaker 1: I stopped I.
Speaker 3: Stopped in there when I was going to meet a friend, and I was like, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Really brisket brisket gumbo sounds good.
Speaker 4: Wow, that does sound amazing. They do give pro tips on some of these, and for styles Switch barbecue, they said that you should definitely try the Soronto glaze, which is standard on the pork ribs and the Brussels sprouts. Like they give little tips about what you should try when you're there. A new one that sounds so good is called Barbs BQ in Lockharts.
Speaker 1: I've heard of that one.
Speaker 4: Ah, it's kind of a new one. It's been around for a couple of years, and they said that it is incredible that you should go in and order the one hundred and fifty dollars full house, which is like four different meats and all the sides and desserts.
Speaker 2: Did the one in Lexington Snows Barbecue make the list that one's supposed.
Speaker 1: To be great?
Speaker 4: I don't see that one.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you about one that's not going to ever make this list because it's the public can't have it. But I'm going to tell you there's a dude at Spanish Oaks Country Club.
Speaker 1: His name is Jason.
Speaker 2: Jason does the barbecue at that So I think that golf course they've got little comfort stations around the golf course where you can duck in. It's pretty amazing, really. I mean they got candy bars, they got fruit, they got beer. I mean, you name it, it's in there. But at that particular one, they do barbecue. And that barbecue that that guy does is the best barbecue I've ever had.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Station Station Works Spanish Oaks. So it's not like you're a.
Speaker 3: Good friend, but I got to call you out, well, the best barbecues.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's a guest. I'm a guest. I'm a guest. Oh no, no, no, I'm I'm just telling you. It's it's a shame that it's not the general public. Everybody will get it right, because I didn't. I want I just want a bunch of people to go. Hey, Andy said, barbecue is good here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, They're like, we're just here for barbecue. Sandy said it was good. Sorry, people are.
Speaker 4: Playing golf out here. People playing golf. Do y'all want to know what the number one barbecue place in Texas is, according to Texas Monthly? Oh yes, yes, I can find it in Sagine, Texas, Bert being Company.
Speaker 5: Bert being Company, Bert being Company. Interesting, that's big honors. That's huge. I think it's huge. Aaron Franklin is steaming mad right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's counting his money. He didn't care.
Speaker 3: He's been the darling forever. I'm glad someone that'd be a good day trip to go to sagein. Yeah, it's not that far with an hour maybe. Don't they got that egg processing plant there too? That a bunch of eggs? I think there is.
Speaker 2: I think there's like a big place where they a bunch of chickens that lay eggs, big egg plant.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I do want to go there simply because not only did they say that the barbico at taco was incredible along with.
Speaker 1: The pork barbicos that's English.
Speaker 4: Please, barbicoa is how are you kidding?
Speaker 1: I don't know barbicoa.
Speaker 4: It just has like a Mexican twist on pork, right, the sauce in it, And yeah, I believe so. But they're also known for their amazing sides and desserts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on trape all about the sides.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Burnt Bean Company, we should go there.
Speaker 1: Road trip to sageine, Yeah, that sounds good.
Speaker 4: And also, how do I get the barbecue editor?
Speaker 3: No one, no one does barbecue side better than Ruby's Rudy's.
Speaker 1: So I said, Ruby's Rudy True? Where you where you?
Speaker 3: Grab a thing of pudding on your life and a chunk of cheese and a giant pickle and a yeah in a giant pickle and a whole jalapeno.
Speaker 2: That's this month's Texas Monthly Trash. Yep, all right, it's the JB and Sandy Show. You're just joining us. Grab the podcast, furs and sticker ound. We got more coming up on Austin's eighties station. Oh, don't go anywhere. Let me let me just say this. So I want to share for you guys, with you guys, what the Internet is calling the most insufferable conversation ever And it's true. All right, I'll tell you who's involved and you'll hear it. Coming up next on Austin's eighty station one O three point one