Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen on Steve Rivera and today is My Guy on Monday, Troy Hutchison and my guy three days out of the week.
Speaker 2: Right, what's going on, guys?
Speaker 4: Not the much. How's your weekend?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Nothing much.
Speaker 5: Summer's not a lot, not a lot going. NBA Finals done? You know, you find out what I want to talk about.
Speaker 3: Man, Today was what basically only on fries with a Dodger guy here. Yeah, it was good, good, good. It was a pretty good NBA Finals. I thought seven games. Crazy game yesterday because of Halliburton.
Speaker 5: Yeah what once he lunched and he saw him go down, you knew I was over, You knew was done?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You mean the game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they did pretty well, got the U of A. Guys did really well, made a name for themselves. They never once mentioned where they were from.
Speaker 2: I don't think, no, not at all, I have even from Duke, as everybody says, oh that guy's from Duke no wonder you're playing hard.
Speaker 7: I feel like Richard Jefferson was giving him some favor in the broadcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that that was. I will talk about that a little bit. Anything else the book Cultural Series that was when I got up. Yeah, yeah, we'll talk about that too.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: We have Jennifer in con at three seventeen and then Brian Peterson at four seventeen.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: One of the most.
Speaker 3: Difficult part of my life these days is finding guests because the summer. Yeah, I'm taking the rest of the summer off after today, No, next week I have. It's tough that finding people that you know topical and can talk about what's going on in the world today, because I don't really want to talk about other things. But but today, So Jennifer could three seventeen, Channel four obviously channel for I Give you Away. And then Brier Peterson Easy Desert for him. He was with the team out in Omaha soil and he knows Chip fairly well. So we'll talk about that. Not a surprise. It was the wind whether you know, did you read this, I didn't read.
Speaker 5: I didn't read the same I saw the email come through, But not a surprise. It was just when it was going to happen four years. You knew it was going to happen. Four or five year deal and a four year deal, and when.
Speaker 4: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 2: I forget, I forget what I'm talking to. Yeah, A good question.
Speaker 5: I mean you could you could work off of one year now. There's no reason to have a coach not on a link contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of the recruiting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, m good question. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would assume it would be. I worked in baseball.
Speaker 5: Well, baseball is doing something a little bit more interesting these days, so they're going deeper into the lineup, deeper into the lineup, deeper or into the postseason. You know, that's what I came in, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see what happens and then uh, your guy, uh Tommy Tommy Lloyd, Tommy boy is out and overseas with.
Speaker 5: Run yeah, you know to Coepete there and performing very well. Everybody was talking about that dunk, but dunks the dunk, but actually playing very right.
Speaker 3: Right though, though you're right, gut look at you, you must be fifty years old. Dunks of dunk on you would say it's only two points, just like every other shot.
Speaker 5: I don't think they're going to give him you a huge NBA contractor off a one dunk that was that.
Speaker 4: Was the case.
Speaker 2: That was the case.
Speaker 3: It would have been has On Adams would have had a lot of money in the NBA a lot of time.
Speaker 4: It would have been truly hot sauce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hot sauce. Right, So we'll talk about all that.
Speaker 3: So good for a chip though, four you're for four years, I think, new signed, new signature, new new contract.
Speaker 5: I wonder how contracts are going to change now moving forward with the transfer portal, with everything going on. Is that because you have to feel a little bit more uncomfortable giving out these four or five, six, seven year deals at some colleges like Judfish at Washington, knowing that a lot can change within a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 3: And the money, yeah, because you know the buyouts and all that. I'm sure it's talking about we thought this when COVID hit. Remember when all this money either paying these coaches, you know, ten twenty million dollars four or five million, six million, ten million dollars a year and then COVID hits and then you're not coaching and buyouts are huge something stuff.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that?
Speaker 3: Why would you make it long term, and why would you pay them this much of money when you have to maybe you fire them at some point.
Speaker 5: I mean, unless you're at a place like Georgia Alabama. I mean, we just saw George's coach what one hundred million dollars and contracted football a while ago, like near the beginning of the season or something like that. Another big contracts somewhere else in college football. But if you're not a school like that, it just doesn't make sense to do those types of deals.
Speaker 2: But but if you have the money like the.
Speaker 4: Doers, even with Chad seven years, seventy five, yeah or whatever.
Speaker 3: The but you whatever money you want to bet, whatever money you want to bet, he doesn't end up with at seven.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't think he'll get to your I want to say three for I'm going to say four just to be I do want to say three.
Speaker 9: But well, because he'll go somewhere else, he'll leave. I mean, that's what the projection is. You know, his track record shows what what was it when he got there? Was on the thirteen jobs in fourteen years? Something crazy? So I left, yeah, exactly. Wait, he doesn't love Tucson. Wow, he's a trap. Trap peezer. You know what he can trap?
Speaker 2: Wait, there's another job I gotta go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every job says dream job.
Speaker 3: Yes, he has a lot of dreams. That's why dream ball getting up tomorrow, this dream give me up at the boarding?
Speaker 2: What's up right? Not your weekend?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 6: It was good.
Speaker 7: I've been watching since I don't have school right now, just been watching a lot of movies.
Speaker 2: Oh really, what Jaws?
Speaker 4: Fight Club? Fight Club? It's good. I've never seen that.
Speaker 7: It's a good one.
Speaker 6: Good one.
Speaker 2: Secrets on what's shrase? There's no need you don't talk.
Speaker 7: About don't talk about it, man breaking the rules.
Speaker 2: You broke it by telling me, Yeah, it's fair again. You guys want to com please do five to two. Oh save us from five to four.
Speaker 3: One sixty four forty would like to hear from you what you thought on what happened over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt sorry for coach all day.
Speaker 3: You know, get their coach thrown out in the first inning for whatever reason.
Speaker 5: I didn't see exactly what happens and strikes I think, Yeah, was that just the bottom line?
Speaker 4: Balls and is right to begin with?
Speaker 2: And then he.
Speaker 3: Argued more, and then you said, hey, get the hell, get the hell out of here. You're gonna lose anyway, and uh, we're gonna have Bryan. You know, he covered J two, right, I never covered Jay And I asked Michael, I guess he's an intense dude, even in those interviews are really and we played hard, you know.
Speaker 4: Very very strict, very monotone. Yeah, very yeah.
Speaker 2: Not exciting, not that you have to be, but you know, he's successful.
Speaker 3: I mean two World Series later, so right, titles. They had him here for a reason, because he's a good coach. They got him over there because he's.
Speaker 2: A good coach. You know.
Speaker 7: Did the ump falling have anything to do.
Speaker 2: With Yeah, and he fell on his own.
Speaker 7: It looked like he fell on his own. Yeah, But because then he gave the quote and he was like, I don't have anything to do with a grown man's athleticism.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah at the end of the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, he said that in the in the postgame presser.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't think so really, but it was It's interesting, like because he like was backing up or something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it looked like it looked like the coastal coach talking to like a different number, like it wasn't even facing himself.
Speaker 5: But who knows what umpires are thinking. There's sometimes where you're just like really like a couple of years ago, I don't I don't know if you guys remember the whole entire Madison Bumm Gardener thing with the checking of the hand, and that's normal for the MLB umpires to check the hand. But he wasn't even looking at him. He was just looking at Madison and barely like feeling that. He was just testing to see how stuff I could get this guy before he freaks out. And then he kicks him out of the game. So it's like, okay, what what are your intentions going in?
Speaker 6: Kick me out?
Speaker 4: I don't want to be here. I'm not going to get paid anyway.
Speaker 3: I hope nobody can read my lips when you do the right everybody doesn't know.
Speaker 2: Could you get me out of the third? He can't go three? We'll see what happens. Okay, anything else.
Speaker 5: Uh NBA, But I mean besides finals, trade deadline, well not trade deadline, but the trade and.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I wanted to get somebody from Penix. Somebody do it, by the more, But yeah, that big trade in.
Speaker 4: Phoenix and how that impacts potentially Carter Bryan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because someone said that they might pick him at ten.
Speaker 4: Seems like a good spot for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah him, Yeah, are you God?
Speaker 3: It's hard for me to say we didn't see him enough of him obviously, but obviously he's got a ton of potential. I'm gonna do the story on Caleb probably tonight for tomorrow or whatever.
Speaker 2: Because still have you heard anything?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: And Tommy is convinced. Yeah, but although what else is he going to say that too?
Speaker 4: But is that drafted or signed? Summer league both? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Well, were you there in the press comverance? Yeah, so you heard my question right, And he kind of jumped on me. He says, what have you been hearing? I said, well, I know what, I know what I read. I don't talk to anybody anymore. And he says, well, I've been talking to people and you don't feel this way. In fact, somebody interviewed me about TJ this morning. You're doing a story when Sewn said he's a pro and we all looked at him, what really? And then Caleb was was more of a pro now than t J was then a pro? That NBA player come on who's a better player too, well now because we have ten years.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, even back then, I don't know because I arguing because you full of crap.
Speaker 4: No, because you can't.
Speaker 5: You can't replace high basket Bay like you always doing the right things.
Speaker 4: I don't hustle everything. Caleb doesn't do any of that. I don't.
Speaker 3: But he's he He's a heck of basketball player that doesn't he doesn't fit today's game.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, okay.
Speaker 3: Caleb Calen doesn't fit today's game. He fits more of today's game. My whole thing is anything I say is going to be ten years of TJ doing really well. No, no, I agree with that because he's been fantastic. But you I'm not defending Caleb either, because I know he's flawed, and he's flawed big time. Not just basketball, it's other things. TJ was very flawed in terms of shoot shooting and jumping and athletic ability. What's the NBA about?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, no so, But to your.
Speaker 3: Point, yes, he's got all the other things, and I would take him tomorrow in a heartbeat over a lot of people. But at the time, you're thinking, how is he going to be an NBA player because he doesn't have But you think the NBA is right the potential that Carter has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't back then. He didn't have that either.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, but he's.
Speaker 3: Found he's a fantastic player. I would I would take him tomorrow. He's gonna be a heck of a coach when he decides to coach, if he wants to do that. But with Caleb, then I'm not trying to fit Caleb in the NBA. I just don't see it. Tommy's going to defend him to the death, and he did that a week or so ago when I asked the question, kind of joked back back and forth with me.
Speaker 5: But okay, my thing with Caleb is, obviously he's more skilled offensive player than what TJ was coming out in terms of shooting the ball. But you're also a high volume shooter. You don't shoot for a great percentage, You turn the ball over, and you do none of the little things.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're right, you're right. I think he can when he wants to. When he did that when he wanted so Cadaiden when when he wanted to. But yeah, I know Aiden's much more talented. But what I'm saying player. No, no, no, I got, I got. What I'm saying is the motor of it though, yeah, yeah yeah, And whose fault is that?
Speaker 4: Who's the player? The player?
Speaker 2: Right, So maybe that'll change.
Speaker 3: It's funny because when Richard came out, When Richard came out, and when we got all these people saying, no, he's not the first round guy. You look at his stats, blah blah blah. But Richard was a heck of a player. He's got a lot of potential back then, he came out as a junior. What he did was over the summer, he worked on his handles, he worked on his shot, he worked at and became this guy, right, this pretty good player, a flat player, but a pretty good player. Yeah. TJ's fantastic. Would take him tomorrow. For Caleb, I don't know. I don't see him.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't agree what Tommy is saying.
Speaker 4: I don't either. I don't.
Speaker 5: There has to be that extra gear when you're outside the scheduled times, because college is everything's so rigid. You're here, you're here, you're there, you have to go to class, you have a bunch of other stuff to worry on.
Speaker 4: When you're in the NBA. It's all on you.
Speaker 2: Did you think that Trier was an NBA player.
Speaker 5: I thought his shot, I thought his scoring ability could make him last year.
Speaker 2: He was a volume guy too, and he was he was more of a me guy, though he.
Speaker 5: Was much more one hundred percent, much more of a me guy. But I think his offensive skills were higher than Caleb. I think at times he could take over a game score So I know Caleb did against Duke, but the ceiling to that is lower.
Speaker 3: Right when he was there for a year. I mean he eventually got there in a year and last of the year and that was it. Okay, I'm getting the sign to cut it out, So we're gonna cut out here and get ahold of Jeni.
Speaker 8: Right now, it's your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 6: Money. That's money. Enter right now.
Speaker 11: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excite. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Dell soul, the soul of Tucson.
Speaker 4: Are you ready enterprise? So Fasca Yuki?
Speaker 1: Try?
Speaker 12: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kim wellcall at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 13: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete.
Speaker 4: Creative Awards with.
Speaker 13: Fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership, Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits you or needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance, Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona KO nine two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with ut notice.
Speaker 15: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 6: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard Bacall Law office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experience, committal defense attorney called Richard riccall five two oh seven to four to oh twelve thirteen. Broud sponsor of Eye on the Ball, Go Cats.
Speaker 16: Got Bugs termites, bees, or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 4: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 17: It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the mineral's eighth process. That sportlining is so GONYYBM dot com.
Speaker 12: Looking for quality windows without the weight, Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill Guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. We'll help you order the perfect mill Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 8: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Roverta. You're Troy Hutchison, and now on the phone, we have Jenna Pink from KVOA.
Speaker 2: Jenna, how are you good?
Speaker 13: How are you?
Speaker 18: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I was wondering if you're bored because it's a summer in Tucson, and if you're like me, if you like me, I'm scrambling for stuff.
Speaker 18: No, it's never boring, never boring.
Speaker 19: No, it's definitely slower, a little bit slower this time of year with U of A and KEEMA and high school being out.
Speaker 18: But there's still a lot of good stuff.
Speaker 19: To talk about, a lot of you know, people in our community doing really cool things as well.
Speaker 3: Right right, you have the opportunity to talk about, you know, stories, the stories about people playing sports or doing whatever they do. You saw today, I'm sure that Chip got his contract and you're probably not shocked, No, not shocked.
Speaker 19: Well deserved for sure, given you know, his success in his first four years and the fact that they were just an Omaha and you know, one of the eight teams left in the entire country, so not surprising to see that.
Speaker 5: You know, not only do you have the Chip Baseball News, but here locally in Tucson you have well I know that is local as well, but you have the Mexican the Mexican Baseball League and the announcement that was just the other day. You're at that event. What what was that like? Just seeing this come together and I think it's going to be starting up in October if I am coregue that one.
Speaker 19: Yeah, opening day October sixteenth, so you can mark your calendars for that. The overall feeling that I got there was a lot of excitement, right, I mean, professional baseball being back in Tucson for the first time in a long time, and you know a lot of the officials who were there were talking about how this is really filling that gap that people in the community had been missing, and that the stadium itself had been missing this. You know, we're talking about how there was no tenant, but you could feel the excitement from the team owners who felt that Tucson was a great place given all the history with baseball here, and how excited they were just to see the blending of cultures and having you know, fans from both sides going up to support you know, support Tucson and the Tucson coming going down to Mexico as well, kind of the shared the shared cultural bond that.
Speaker 18: Will be created from this.
Speaker 19: And they also talked about how Mexican Baseball Fiesta had kind of set the tone and set the you know, the potential for this to even happen in the first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question. And he did you get to see the different side of baseball that they have, the part of the parties or whatever. So as you look back, as you look back to the season, the whole season, you know, from the Septembers to April's doms in fact this late how would you rate the season?
Speaker 2: From Juve?
Speaker 19: It's funny because I just did I think it was last week or the week before. I did like an Arizona Athletics year in review, So I kind of in putting that together, went through all the sports, and there were things that I had even you know, forgot about at such a long school year that sometimes you even forget about some.
Speaker 18: Of the accomplishments.
Speaker 19: But there was a lot of success, you know, starting with volleyball winning the niv C.
Speaker 18: That you know, that was their first championship of any kind.
Speaker 19: And then you know, football had had a rocky start under Brent Brennan, but there was still in visual success with Teo McMillan and three other Wildcats getting drafted, you know, three Big Twelve championships in the first year, two other Big Twelve tournament title appearances. Like I was going through all of this and you know, there was a lot, a lot of success, and it's going to be kind of fun to see how, you know, in the case like with Chippel when he's back and extended, Like, it's going to be fun to see how these teams kind of build on that success as we move into into next season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was going to say it felt like a built kind of like building blocks this season, given that you're in the financial deficit, you're having to overcome that and to still have success and lay groundwork on the football side of things in terms of the offseason with a lot of coaching changes and seeing that all come about. How important was it do you think for Arizona to have this success given with the cloud of the whole entire deficit that I had to deal with during this academic year.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think it was, you know, important because and I taught.
Speaker 19: I actually spoke with athletic director des A referend Suile today and she was talking about some of the you know, adjustments that they had to make, and they all had to kind of buy in as a program to these changes in order to get out of you know, make headway and getting out of the deficit.
Speaker 18: And I think it's kind of speaks.
Speaker 2: To the the.
Speaker 19: Slogan bearing down right of of you know, still grinding out and getting and getting those championships and having all of the success that we're used to seeing from these Arizona teams.
Speaker 2: So did you Will you have that interview uh in tonight tomorrow?
Speaker 19: Yeah, we're gonna I'm gonna do kind of two parts. So I spoke with her about the new revenue sharing how that's all going to take effect on July first.
Speaker 18: I'll have that.
Speaker 19: Tonight and then tomorrow I'm going to break down a little bit about the bare down blueprint that they put out last week about you know, kind of their their five year plan of how they hope to see continued success in both you know, on and off the field, in the classroom and.
Speaker 18: On the field, and also you know, how they're going to continue with fan engagement as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, did you talk about the deficit, because they've got it down to five million and should be cleared by next year, so which is they've done a fantastic job.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 19: She talked about how they've you know, some of the things that they've done, and I'll have and i'll have more of that.
Speaker 18: I don't want to I don't want.
Speaker 19: To say say exactly because I don't want to misquote what she said, but you know, she did talk about the ways that they went about reducing that that deficit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you can see that tonight.
Speaker 19: I'll have that part. I'll have that part tomorrow tonight. We'll we're talking more about revenue share and all that kind of stuff. Yeah, but it's still really, you know, really interesting. It's a totally new age of age of what we're going to see with with these schools paying athletes directly unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I know they're going to be your neighbors. They're gonna be your neighbors because you know, hell, they're making more money than three of us can buy, and four of us can buy, and then some and then some. Give me some revenue share, t mech if I could, real quick. He So we had the school year. We just talked about that.
Speaker 3: Any specific story, maybe not even related to you, of a that struck out to you or stuck out to you.
Speaker 18: I think my favorite that that I told is that what you mean?
Speaker 19: I think one of my favorite stories that I did this year was the super fan at Arizona Baseball who dances to Cotton Eye Joe Stephen Leek. That was the story that I had kind of been waiting to tell. I had seen, you know, seen him dancing every game that I had been to and and wanted to go.
Speaker 18: And then to have.
Speaker 19: Dick Greaser, who he who Stephen Leak was so heavily influenced by to become a baseball fan and at Flowing Wells High School, to have Dick Grease, He's son reach out to me and present you know, little pieces of his dad that he wanted to give to Steve, And it was a really cool full circle moment and kind of a good remind of you know, what you know these stories can be like and how impactful they can be in our community.
Speaker 18: So that was probably my favorite story that I did this year.
Speaker 19: A couple of stories was just kind of his story behind dancing the Cotton and eight show at every baseball game.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of people they think people get into this business not only what you do, but writing and stuff like that in terms of covering the game and being around the team and all that, and that is part of why everybody gets into it. They do love sports and all that. But is it stories like that that drove you into the business and being able to tell those stories of not only the team but the fans that go to these games.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I'm always you know, that's probably my one of my favorite parts of this job is getting to tell people's stories, you know, not necessarily just you know, of course, we cover the games and what happens, but I also like going beyond beyond those highlights and talking, you know, about the stories behind these athletes, the stories behind the fans, you know, things that make Arizona and in this case, that make Arizona athletics what it is. You know, same thing with high school, same thing with Pema College. Like, there's so many great athletes and and people who make you know, these sports teams run that have great stories, and it's kind of like it's always really fun to me to get to share those stories.
Speaker 3: One of the things you did, I think it was you. I'm sure it was you, but I think it was a waka. He reads a lot, right, he reads a lot. And the story that you know, he really reads. We had him on the show maybe a month ago. He was yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 18: He read, he read, yeah, you want. He started when he was at Tennessee.
Speaker 19: He had a whole book club, and when he came to Arizona. I don't know that he ever started up a book club or not, but he was really into into reading. And you know, I think that's really cool too. I mean, you don't necessarily you know, you don't necessarily think about it.
Speaker 18: I don't even read as much as I probably should, you know, so to see that was kind of it was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, We had him on the show and then you could just tell how well spoken he is, an articulate and you know how he uses his words like how I'm doing right now? But you know just how smart he is because he reads a lot. And I thought, you know your story and I remember the press conference where you spoke about it, but you could just how you could just see how he You can see that the wheels turning when you ask him questions.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, his whole face lit up too. And when I remember asking him about reading, and his.
Speaker 18: Whole face lit up and he was, you know, excited to talk about it.
Speaker 5: You know, another part of your job, and you mentioned it before is that high school sports. And guess it's on you know, the downside right now in terms of the dead period, but football is going to be gearing up for training camp and getting ready for the season and not that far ahead. Uh, just your excitement level to get back out there on the high school field and cover these athletes. And what are you looking forward to this upcoming high school season?
Speaker 18: Oh yeah, it's so much fun. It's so much fun.
Speaker 19: We have our high school football show every Friday night, a football fever. Super excited to get back into doing that because you know everyone gets so excited to see themselves on TV, see their highlights, and it's just fun to be out there within the community and covering the teams. And there's so much talent here too, you know, between Maranago and undefeated last year and being in the Open and you know, all these teams that have continued success. It's really fun to to follow the student athletes journeys, like as they you know, become seniors, you know, we see them and sometimes they're sophomores, juniors on varsity, and then we see them kind of continue to grow and then go on sometimes off to college and playing at the collegiate level.
Speaker 18: So it's really fun to kind.
Speaker 19: Of follow their journeys every year, see how they improve and see you know, which teams are are going to be good. There's so much talent, like I mentioned down here, so I'm super excited for for football to start up again.
Speaker 2: So how has it been, because I think you're probably going to start second year, maybe three year of being here, but maybe first or second or second year of being the lone Ranger as a sports anchor, because I'm sure it's real busy. Although you have.
Speaker 18: Mooney, I think I think I lost it for a second.
Speaker 2: Okay, just yeah, are you there? Can you hear me?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 3: I think this is gonna be your second year without without a second person, right, So how difficult has it been?
Speaker 2: One? Although I think you have Mooney helping you from time to time.
Speaker 19: Yeah, no, it's it's definitely one less person to shoot football games, but you know.
Speaker 18: You make the most of it.
Speaker 19: We still, you know, have people out there at all those games and and they are dedicated to bring in as much as many games as we can to the show. And it's just about you know, trying to get to as many different things as we can and trying to share, share the love, and make sure that we're highlighting as many different.
Speaker 18: Schools with regard to high school football.
Speaker 19: In southern Arizona that we can, because, like I mentioned, so much talent down here, so just try to spread it out we go, you know, we I always do a high school game of the week preview and love getting to talk to all the variety of different coaches. I think I was at I think of the thirteen weeks, I think I only went.
Speaker 18: Back to one school twice.
Speaker 19: So really trying to get out to as many different schools in our community and talking to the coaches.
Speaker 18: It's so much fun.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Let me before you said, I'm going to drop you a little quick note later today if your look about all this, because I just thought of something, Okay.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, No, I was going to say, you know, take us through your Friday nights because you are all over the place going to one high school to another and getting all this coverage. How many games do you hit up during a Friday night and get and get coverage of?
Speaker 4: Would you say?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I would say in general, as a team, we normally will get anywhere from like six to eight games, and just kind of depends on the schedule any given week of you know, our two schools close to each other playing and someone can go grab both of those schools real quick, you know that kind of stuff. So it just kind of depends on the given week. But we have a whole team, you know, people who go out to games and help it because I would not be able to do it by myself obviously, So you know, everyone at Newsports Tucson does a really good job of stepping up and going out to games and and shooting I personally normally go to one maybe.
Speaker 18: Two if they're close.
Speaker 19: But that's because I'm putting the show together. So when I go back to the station, I'm editing all of those highlights, writing out scripts, and making the show.
Speaker 18: Come to life.
Speaker 2: So you had the Desreon today.
Speaker 3: Did you talk to her about the chip news or did that come after or whatever.
Speaker 18: Came out afterwards? I spoke with her this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then what do you think about softball? What's going to happen there?
Speaker 18: I'm not sure.
Speaker 19: I you know, I think it's going to be interesting to see, if you know, what happens with Caitline. I think she's had a lot of success, you know, just like just like baseball, and so.
Speaker 18: It'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 19: I I don't have a crystal ball unfortunately, but uh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 18: You know, be interesting to see what happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks a bunch for joining us. I'm gonna send you a note later. Thank you. Check out Channel four. Thank you. We we gotta call. Hello, you're on the air, nine on the wall. Who's this? It's the man?
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 2: What's up? What's up? Are you? Where are you at? Man?
Speaker 6: All right time?
Speaker 20: You know why since we're the topic of high school football, and she's saying that they only do the Friday football man is she could be the worst one.
Speaker 18: To jump on and cover all the seven tournaments.
Speaker 6: That we're going to, all the speaking up and you just seeing the strong line.
Speaker 18: Highlight?
Speaker 2: Are you calling?
Speaker 3: Are you calling from Uncle Poockle because you just kind of went out enough.
Speaker 4: I don't know, dude, I got that new phone four years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a phone.
Speaker 4: You're good.
Speaker 20: You're good, like I would say, Well, let me we say what I'm saying again. She there's content out right now, all the seven on seven tournaments. Oh yeah, where you could cover get you could get intimate details of these kids and build the because Arizona youth football has grown. You know, we've had Bijon Jordan Morgan. I know that's just a few kids, but the culture is building and we're not Texas necessarily, but to make content and to have it out there right now, they're doing seven on seven tournaments, they're doing the strong Man competition. I just dropped my my son off right now.
Speaker 6: He's doing reen konn University.
Speaker 20: Good luck for him, you know, nerd school, but that's that's what he chose to do.
Speaker 18: And another thing.
Speaker 4: You guys talked about.
Speaker 20: The baseball right, yes, the team they don't have a they don't have a name yet, right right, Like you better not watch it, like HOLLI botched the shigs calls, Oh my god, the Sugar's calls. Wait, Donald or the sugar calls. They should have been the medicals. They had it right there. You would have the dead section. People could have went looking like zombies or sugars called out, you know what I mean. But no, it's like I look at it and they just make a face like I'm smelling something decay, Like you know what I mean, like a sorry name.
Speaker 4: So you tell your boy not to mess it up.
Speaker 20: And another thing, those baseball fiesta things are.
Speaker 6: The most annoying themes in the world.
Speaker 4: They need to shut up the band and we need to listen to the game.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, look at you. You became an eighty year old man all of a sudden.
Speaker 6: Carry No, I'm hungry and sober.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two things that you're not likely.
Speaker 18: If you get a gas strick sleeve, no beer.
Speaker 2: No shoot, we'll see how that goes for you. Good luck with it.
Speaker 4: Not so fat?
Speaker 18: Oh cowboys, thank you about the cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, we don't talk about the Cowboys. Way too early for that. Thanks Mike. Love y'alla, dude, I hope you had that finger.
Speaker 3: On the pulse of that because I was waiting for something. Yeah, I was God, That's why he kept saying, yeah, get that finger up. But just because I couldn't find it, he's gonna say something. Okay with that, We're gonna take a break, right, I need him smoke in a break. If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lut It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercising with the Arizona.
Speaker 18: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 21: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the remit and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pema dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steven Arry Heir, and I've got a tip for you.
Speaker 3: Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 6: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 16: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 21: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 6: Lead manage and exercise equipment.
Speaker 21: On twenty second, This quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 22: Tucson's best Burger, the Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers. And great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 23: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies need more money in your pocket. Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Lessons More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 8: Stream on the Ihearts Radio Wive. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, your Troit Hexason from Coe'sycass dot com and we got Ray here from Varsity slash Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 7: Nah, that internship's over. I'm just on the ball and then I'm the ball and Kingfisher.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're not gonna do that. You're not gonna do that again.
Speaker 4: Nah.
Speaker 7: He gets different interns in old football seasons like.
Speaker 2: The It's just an interim program.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh no, plus seasons like the Good Spot.
Speaker 2: So you know, okay, cool. So your voice won't be heard on high school campuses anywhere? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Anybody you want to call, please do just like Mike, just make it clean. Please by two oh four, one, six, seventy four forty we'll take your call. Talk about whatever you want to talk about. What anything else? Oh you talked about? I didn't see the story you sent me the story about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just brought it up.
Speaker 2: Download the made you download app.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's alright.
Speaker 3: You'll get to that maybe on breaking news, which is kind of strange. You know, you can do this, can do that, gambling wise or whatever, but it's everywhere.
Speaker 5: You know, I saw something and I still don't like. I don't know how it's even potted. Red Carlisle the oldest coach to coach in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: But really, how old is sixty eighth?
Speaker 5: You got to think of guys like Phil Jackson and the older ones. Red Red auto back and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but back, you know, back.
Speaker 3: It's like when they showed the who is the dude white tittle white tittle back when they when he was forty compared to Tom Brady when he was forty.
Speaker 4: That's true. It was a lot older.
Speaker 2: It looks like the wooden Wooden Nickel twenty five years old.
Speaker 4: Who's the second oldest? Does it say or I can check it?
Speaker 2: Who said that that he was the oldest. Yeah, that does sound the really strange.
Speaker 5: It sounds weird at sixty five then, you know, I mean the heckuy, what's his name?
Speaker 4: George Carl, George Carl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a bitch of he was old well to win, to go to the finals, win, just to coach in the finals.
Speaker 2: Oh really, we got to call Hello, you're on the air Andine on the ball. Who's this?
Speaker 3: Vi?
Speaker 9: Vic?
Speaker 2: What's the word?
Speaker 10: What's going on?
Speaker 6: Troy?
Speaker 4: How you doing? Vic?
Speaker 10: I'm fantastic man, So I gotta hear your guys opinion, both of you on a on Caitlin, you are.
Speaker 4: Going she's staying, well, she's staying.
Speaker 5: But again, I think when you have a coach in today's game, Elaine duck Ere a one year deal. I don't think there's that urgency that there was back in the day, given how many transfers there are now, how classes changed now, and how Nils played a big part. I don't think there's that huge need to get a deal done right away if it's up and there at all, given the fact that roster's move and change all the time.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he could be right. Never thought of it that way.
Speaker 2: But you still got a recruit, and she's got some pretty good recruits right decently.
Speaker 10: He's got some girls coming in this year, and she did probably ce in the portal. Uh, Gray, if you're gonna grade minus, maybe I was gonna says, yeah, they got Tiara, Jenny's little sister, and she's like a one night he hitter out of San Diego.
Speaker 2: I mean victim as you.
Speaker 3: So if she if she got to C minus D plus, what does she lose?
Speaker 2: B minus B she lost?
Speaker 10: I would say, oh, yeah, yeah, I mean just with just with Dakota and and uh and Kiera she lost. That was definitely a bat plus right there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I would say outside of Dakota and Altmeyer, the rest of them, I think you could afford to lose if you had pieces that you could get.
Speaker 4: That were you.
Speaker 10: I definitely agree with that. The pitching. The pitching just didn't pan out. But those were misses on everybody because I mean a couple of them were you know, California Players of the Year and I thought, hey, you got to do something with them, but they just didn't pan out.
Speaker 2: So how many games you go to in a year? Bick?
Speaker 10: I go to one air at least one every home stand.
Speaker 3: So do you can you if I gave you the power, can you evaluate how she coaches?
Speaker 10: She's kind of weird here. She stays in the dugout, she doesn't coach third base, Lapping coaches third and then one of the rad assistants coaches first.
Speaker 2: Style style.
Speaker 10: It's tough because man, that the pitching. Obviously everybody's mad about that, but he just hasn't had that one to go out there like that guy at Texas cat you know, hey, when in trouble, you know, he looks like a great coach, but was he Is he really that good? Because all he did was roll the ball out to his girl and that's it. And even at Oklahoma, how can you evaluate her when she, you know, just following them are just hitting bombs and bombs and bombs, and she has the best picture in the nation year in the year out. I told you that time I had and there's way back in the day. But I have this great baseball team and everybody said, oh man, Dick's so great. I'm like, are you kidding? I roll the ball out to my kid and I crossed my leg and he does. He does everything for me and that that. But so yeah, you know, once again, I mean to being the minority, but can you really Phil Jackson has twenty rings, but he had the best player in the cunt in the world two times, and then when he lost Michael the baseball he didn't win craft. So was he that great?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 10: So I don't know. Well, okay, I had one more thing for you guys, and then I'm gonna be in the minority. Or you said it a little bit Steve on TJ when Miller said he was going to go to the Pros and I laughed like I'm almost fell off my chair. He had that Bob Coosey jump shot back at Arizona, and you know what, between the two of you, tell me one play or one game that he took over at Arizona.
Speaker 4: Well again, I think I think a million. I think taking.
Speaker 5: Over is looked at differently taking over scoring, no, but taking over dominating again a game through his passing, through his defense, through his leadership, communication, leadership.
Speaker 4: He did that several times. I know when Bill Walton was.
Speaker 10: I mean he was met Kansas and and er and.
Speaker 5: You're able to You're able to. I'm just saying you're able to dominate the game without scoring in a different way. And I mean his final year. There are several coaches Bill Walton said it several times. And if you're not a Bill Walton fan, you know that's that's on you. But I'm just saying several times where he said he's one of he's one of the packed twell best players in the Pack twelve. He should he should have been a candidate for a packed tell players and he didn't get it. But that's because everybody looks at scoring and all that. But the way you dominate a game, there was nobody outside on that team that dominated again more than him, because Stanley Johnson wasn't doing he was hiding in the corner, wasn't You can make a case for Nick Johnson and Ronde, Hollis Jefferson at times, but nobody dominated the game more than t J mcconny.
Speaker 3: That team would have never been as good as it was without him.
Speaker 5: No, and he saw the previous year when he was on the bench, you had a high level talent. Now you didn't have an Aaron goreon ronnet well, but when you had who who is the point guard at the time, I think it was Mark Lions and they got to the sweet sixteen. If you have TJ on that team, they probably get to an eliteate.
Speaker 3: Well, they had a chance to become the best team when they were undefeated, until they weren't. He got hurt, right, No, to your point, Victor, I felt the same way. You know, you see what he does. But he NBA's a different level, right, it's the next level, and he didn't have it, and then he then he's just a smart dude. I mean, coming Hula thought Steve Kurr would have done what he did in the NBA. He just found his Niche found his niche you know, Judd Buschler, These dudes, these dudes that just found their way and could play the game and found the coach that loved him.
Speaker 2: And and appreciated them.
Speaker 4: Look at it.
Speaker 10: Look at I often wonder that that ninety five team of U c.
Speaker 8: L A.
Speaker 10: That one guy made a made a.
Speaker 2: Right tby Bailey and all these guys.
Speaker 24: Yet know you're right, I mean, yeah, Bannon with College Player of the Year, right right, Oh, okay, well we'll see what happened, uh with Caitlin.
Speaker 10: But she's got to be out there recruiting now.
Speaker 2: So right, we'll see. Okay. Thank hey, you guys, thanks, thanks, thanks for getting us to this ten minute.
Speaker 7: Second oldest coach by the way, Larry Brown for the Pistons in two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: How old was he?
Speaker 4: Sixty four?
Speaker 5: God, these guys are say, and I was thinking, like Greg Popovich looks like he's ninety at times.
Speaker 2: He hasn't got well.
Speaker 4: Now in twenty.
Speaker 5: Fourteen, he's played it against the Miami Heat.
Speaker 3: Eleven years ago, he's seventy two. Now probably okay, Well, you had Luke gone to the Final four in two thousand and fifty whatever, two thousand and five, he would have been the oldes step at the time he was like seventy, it would have been seventy seventy one, would have been the oldest guy to kid and you're thinking, yeah, you know, okay, seventy and even now Patino's what he is and some of the other guys who's uh.
Speaker 5: Well, before that, you had a Jim Behim who was getting up there in years, so.
Speaker 2: Right, right, who's there for Miami?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah, so you.
Speaker 3: Know God, and they're coaching later, they're coaching later in lives. Now, Okay, we got about two minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for calling anything else.
Speaker 5: No, I was gonna comment on that thing that Vic brought up in terms of the coaching style of Yeah, and I think the biggest thing and he I think he was getting there to that point, is.
Speaker 4: It's very passive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You mentioned there's not there's not that streak, and I'm not saying a mean streak. But you have to be a you have to you have to be hard on your players.
Speaker 3: Troy, There's no question about you. To have that, you have to have an edge and then almost a fear of playing for you but I love for playing you at the same time.
Speaker 4: Fear of disappointing you. And she doesn't have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she might be as smart as a whip on the game and all that stuff, but you have to have that them to play hard for you.
Speaker 5: And that was the biggest question during the transition because for a while, everybody kind of knew that that was going to be it for coach Andrea near the end of that season. So the conversation was months the media, is it going to be Taran Mowet or is it going to be Caitlyn Low. It's going to be somebody on the staff. Tarn seemed to have that head coach mentality. She was always out there, she was always in controlled that period. Well, yes, she got fired later in terms of what she didn't have something she wasn't the associated head coach. Okay, Caitlyn was second in charge, so naturally she is the one it's come next. But you never after interviewing them and being around them with Mike there, you never got a head coach feeling from Caitlin.
Speaker 2: Well maybe that's an issue.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's an issue, And that's where I think a lot of these issues got because Vic brought it up. You've had top tier pitching talent from California. They haven't panned out, no matter if it was Taran as the pitching coach or Conrad Martinez. You've gone through potentially Conrad's still there, but you know who knows that's his name, contorg Conra Martinez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, here we go. Yeah, okay, we'll talk more about that later