Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 2: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake.
Speaker 3: Up call for Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: It's September thirteenth. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 3: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Will it be a spooky day?
Speaker 2: Do you buy into that? I don't think so. I think it's going to be a great day.
Speaker 3: Except I just got a notification that we just had another aftershock, A three point four in Malibu hit at four fifty six. Probably not large enough for most to feel, but maybe if you're close to it. Dozens of after shocks since the initial quake yesterday.
Speaker 2: Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 3: The largest active fire in California has burned more than fifty one thousand acres and is zero percent surrounded. The fires destroyed at least forty homes in and around right Wood. The cause is still unknown. The man charged with starting the fire in San Bernardino County could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted. Justin Halstenberg is facing nine felony charges. He's expected to be arraigned today. That fires burned almost thirty eight thousand acres. California's investment in law enforcement to catch thieves, apparently paying off fifty five cities and counties, got a shaff two hundred and sixty seven million dollars in funding to fight crime last October. It's led to more than sixty nine hundred arrests for retail and property crime in just six months. Governor Newsom says the state is funding the police and reaping results well. As we've seen, wildfires can destroy your home and literally a matter of minutes. The House Whisperer has some steps you can take to prevent your house from burning if a wildfire comes roaring into your neighborhood. What's your favorite the Bear Baby Reindeer Showgun. ABC's Jason Nathansen makes his predictions for TV's biggest night that's.
Speaker 2: Coming up before the top of the hour, and we're going to be.
Speaker 3: Checking in with ABC's Jim Ryan on something that is weighing heavily on a lot of people in the US that's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. A couple of fires, not wildfires, have broken out around town. Firefighters are at the scene of a fire at a three story apartment building on North Bunker Hill in Chinatown, and fire crews have knocked down a fire that damaged an autobody shop overnight in Canoga Park. The fire was reported shortly before two am. All five bays in the shop on West Galt Street were burning when firefighters arrived on scene. It took eighty two firefighters about an hour to put the flames out. Cruise fighting the fire that started in sand and Gabriel Canyon above Glendora say decreased winds and higher humidity have helped slow the fire. They spent yesterday doing water and retardant drops and protecting homes and other buildings that are still threatened by a fire that's burned more than fifty one thousand acres and about forty homes near the San Gabriel Mountains. Evacuation orders are still in effect for several communities, including Mount Baldy, Rightwood and Pinion Hills, a landmark in the San Bernardino National Forest has been destroyed by the fire that started in Highland.
Speaker 4: The Keller Peak Fire Overlook had helped firefighters since nineteen twenty six and drawn countless visitors to San Bernardino County for its views. Sheriff Shannon dyke As says of firefighters emotional announcement of the overlooks destruction captures a common feeling.
Speaker 5: I think that's why you're seeing that emotional impact from all of us. And last night you saw that from a firefighter who's also a resident. So they've got a foot in both camps. As it relates to the history of that tower.
Speaker 4: The ninety eight year old overlook was the oldest original tower in the National Forest in San Bernardino.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks kV.
Speaker 3: News thirty thousand Boeing workers have gone on strike.
Speaker 6: No, I'm proud of our members.
Speaker 4: I'm proud of them for standing up and fighting for more, for each other, for their families, for the community.
Speaker 7: There's a lot at stake here.
Speaker 3: John Holden, with the Machinist Union said the workers deserve better. The workers walked off the job after rejecting a union approved tenetive agreement with Boeing yesterday Boeing says it is ready to renegotiate. Former President Trump says he won't be doing any more debates with Vice President Harris. Trump criticized the vice president's performance at the ABC debate on Tuesday.
Speaker 8: Parras showed up spewing empty rhetoric, the same old lies, meaningless platitudes, offering no plans, no policies, and no details whatsoever.
Speaker 6: Nothing.
Speaker 2: Harris says she thinks it's important that they have another debate.
Speaker 3: Because this election and what is at stake could not be more important. Trump claimed he won Tuesday Nights to debate, despite members of his own party saying he didn't. Nick just sent me a an X.
Speaker 2: I still want to say tweet, don't you?
Speaker 9: Oh, I agree with you?
Speaker 2: He just sent me.
Speaker 3: I always well, so yeah, Friday the thirteenth, we were talking about it is a spooky and are you scared of it? And mister Rogers put out a tweet saying, let's start children out thinking that Friday thirteenth is actually a fun day. We would celebrate his birthday every time a Friday the thirteenth came, So happy birthday to King Friday the thirteenth. I don't think I remember that his name was King Friday the thirteenth, it was just King Friday or did we make it up. Anyway, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, and it's a beautiful time for us to talk to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Jim.
Speaker 10: I think he had Yeah, it was King Friday and the Papa there and he had thirteen and Roman numerals on front of his little castle.
Speaker 2: X I I right, I love that. I don't think I ever realized this.
Speaker 10: Maybe paid too much. If we're talking about Aaron Rodgers here, right.
Speaker 3: Mister Rogers, mister Rogers, Okay, Jim, Yeah, No, if sands and butts about it, we're.
Speaker 10: Fat plenty of butts, lots and lots of butts about it. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. One the way they came up with this, they called people all over the country amy and they said they had two main questions, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? And then they plug it all into the BMI calculator that you can find online. Put your own weight in your height in there and figure out where you fall in terms of the BMI. If you're above thirty, then you're considered obese, and it's a graded scale, and it you know, goes down goes up from there, But thirty is sort of the benchmark. So nationally, the CDC looks at the whole country to find out where we stand nationally. Not so good. If you look back to twenty thirteen, eleven years ago, not one state in the whole country had at OBCD rate topping thirty five percent. Now, eleven years later, nearly half the state have achieved that distinction. One nearly have. Twenty three states in all have obesity rates topping thirty five percent. That is, more than thirty five percent of the people are at a thirty or above in the BMI. So but I mean, the BMI is controversial. If you're bolt up your body builder and you're you're five foot eleven and two hundred and eighty pounds a football player, for example, you would still come across as obese, even if you're in great shape, or you may be super super skinny and your heart's in terrible shape, your lungs are shot, and you'd still come off as not obese. So I mean, there's a difference between being high on the on the BMI and being healthy, so just be careful with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just one factor.
Speaker 3: And I think if I'm remembering correctly that for women twenty two is kind of your goal BMI and for men it's like seventeen or eighteen.
Speaker 10: Something like that. It's you may be right as far as these as far as the targets go, but you know, and it's easy enough to just go online google obesity calculator or BMI calculator rather and come up with the numbers, so you know, looking nationally, and the CDC puts out a map with this, and they love to do maps, and California I did. So if you're in the red or you're dark dark red, you're in pretty bad shape.
Speaker 2: All their color coded maps too. It is I love a good graphic.
Speaker 10: I know Arkansas and Mississippi or see some of the highest rates between forty five and fifty percent of their populations looking at at obesity rate people living with obesity. Texas better shape, and I know they do, and you can't blame them. But still California is in pretty darn good shape. You're some of the best in the country at twenty five to thirty percent. Colorado's in the best shape and yet still about one in five of the folks there are dealing with obesity down in it, you know, and there are lots of theories as to why. I'm sure you can think of some amy as to why this is happening in the last decade or so.
Speaker 2: What are some of those theories.
Speaker 10: Well, take a look at the pandemic. You know, people locked in their houses for a couple of years unless they had a peloton bike in there or something, or some way to exercise. They're getting food delivered right to their front door. And now, with so many people still working remotely, you don't even get the workout of walking to your car and walking into the office building and walking around the office and walking back outside. So people are missing out on some of that. I think that's a part of it. But you would think that might be offset in some way by the ozempics and these semaglutides and the other injectable weight loss drugs that seem to be working, and maybe we'll see the effect of those in the coming years.
Speaker 3: Do we have stats on how many people are doing like the ozepic and GOV and stuff.
Speaker 2: I know it's a lot, but.
Speaker 10: It is I haven't seen those stats. I'm sure they're out there, you know, but the CDC did not look at that. But you know, and the more people who are using those things, maybe we'll start to see some impact in the future.
Speaker 3: Well, except also be interested to see what happens when all those peoples get people get off those drugs.
Speaker 10: Well, that's true, because I've heard.
Speaker 2: That there's a pretty big ricochet.
Speaker 10: Well, I think you're right. I mean, it's like anything else. If you stop working out, you're going to gain weight or you're going to lose health. There is a survey out there showing that about one in eight adults in the US have used a drug like ozambic or monjar or one of those drugs. And so yeah, and that number is likely rising.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And did the CDC offer any recommendations for how we can change this culture and maybe get our fatness down?
Speaker 10: The same else, the same as the recognitions that always puts out, you know, to eat, write, get some exercise, move around a little bit more.
Speaker 2: If we only listen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how you get people to listen. I mean, public awareness campaigns. That's why the CDC puts these figures out in the first place to get people to at least take a look at it, and you know, take a look around at other places where other people live and how they're doing.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 3: We got a beautiful weekend on the way in southern California. Side well, there's smokes. Will be careful if it's in a smoky area. But if it's not, it's cooled down. It's going to beautiful.
Speaker 10: Go take a walk, get on the bike, go for a walk, do something, Go out to the go out to the beach, do something. Come on to me.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think I will. All right, ABCS Jim right, Thank you so much. Have a great weekend, have a happy Friday. The thirteen OO. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A judge has ruled against a ban on new oil drilling in Los Angeles. The ruling says the state, not the city, has authority over drilling operations. The ban, that was unanimously passed by the LA City Council two years ago, mandated that all existing drilling operations cease within twenty years. A bill passed by the California legislature would override that judge's decision if the governor signs the bill. Anaheim police are investigating a teacher who allegedly fathered a child with one of his students. A woman told police last month that she had a sexual relationship with one of her teachers in the late nineteen eighties when she was a student at Loara High School in Anaheim. Detectives say another woman then told police she also had a relationship with Steve Graves when she was a minor and had a child with him. Graves has been placed on administrative leave by the Anaheim School District. The oc sheriff says several jail rehabilitation programs designed to keep people from returning to jail have been honored nationally.
Speaker 7: Or fifty percent of my population has some addiction.
Speaker 11: Issue, jeff Don Barnes says the programs honored by the National Institute of Corrections are meant to make it so people don't return to jail.
Speaker 7: I've become, by default, the county's mental health hospital, the largest detox facility, the largest drug treatment facility in the county, and I'm trying to get out of that business.
Speaker 6: Barn says.
Speaker 11: One program works to reduce the eleven hundred inmates on medical assisted drug treatment, which he says costs taxpayers millions of dollars, while others focus on detox and behavioral health crisis intervention in Orange County.
Speaker 6: Corbin Carson caff I News.
Speaker 3: San Diego State is one of four universities that plan to join the PAC twelve foot Ball Conference. SDSU, Colorado State, Fresno State, and Boise State will all join the last two teams left in the PAC twelve. It'll happen in the twenty twenty six twenty seven season. Everyone else, including USC and UCLA, have bailed to join other conferences. The PAC twelve, which now is just consisting of Oregon State and Washington State, needs two more schools to meet the NCAA minimum requirement. Right now, I think you can just call the conference the six pack. Falling temperatures or boosting firefighters efforts to get lines around the fire burning in Orange and Riverside Counties that has burned about twenty three thy five hundred acres. It's five percent surrounded. OC Fire Authority Captain Steve Concialdi says seven hundred and seventy firefighters are on the lines, with more on the Way. Dozens of aftershocks have rattled southern California following a four point seven magnitude earthquake near Malibu. There was a three point four just before five am today. The quake yesterday hit at seven.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight am.
Speaker 3: It was followed by after shocks, including some other three point fours. The US Geological survices there could be additional after shocks in the days ahead. Vice President Harris has returned to the campaign trail following Tuesday's debate. She held a rally in Charlotte, North Carolina yesterday. Polls in the key battleground state have shown that Harris and Trump are in an extremely tight race. A Democrat hasn't won the state of North Carolina since Barack Obama in two thousand and eight. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Thirty thousand Boeing workers said no to their own union and voted down a contract. They've gone on strike. Now, let's say good morning. Now to ABC's Sherry Preston, I mentioned that Kamala Harris is on the campaign trail.
Speaker 2: You can bet on whether she's going to win or not.
Speaker 12: Well, you could, you could, but you can't anymore. Here's what happens. There's a startup trading. But there's a startup trading company called Calshi and they've been fighting based in New York. It's it's a venture capital com they started up. And what they and what they have done is they said, why shouldn't people not be able to bet on presidential elections? You can bet on their site on everything from when your next big California quake will be, to know how much the Federal Reserve is going to lower interest rates next week. And they were saying, why can't we just bet on presidential elections, bet on the outcome of the House and Senate races, bet on who's going to win the House and Senate. And they've been fighting for this for about three years. So they took yesterday a federal judge finally stepped in and said, you know what, we're going to let you do that. Yeah, we'll allow it. Well, federal regulators immediately after that announcement took the case to the Appelic Court in Washington, DC, and about eight thirty nine o'clock last night they issued a stay so they said they couldn't So if you go on that Calshi website, yesterday, because I did. Right after that judge had ruled. You could go on there and you could click and you could bet on the election for their very very hot second and then a couple hours later, now if you go on their website, what it will say is election vetting has been paused pending the outcome of more core cases. So an appeal is what happened, and that's what we're waiting for. You know, election regulators say there are all kinds of things that could be manipulated in an election if this is allowed. They're very much worried about the integrity of the election. They're saying that, you know, remember what happened with Game Stop, when when small investors stepped in and said, we're going to kind of make it hard for institutional investors, those who are investing for big companies to to to to you know, who think this dock should should succeed.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 12: Imagine a situation like that in a presidential election, when you already have so much writing on this, and what a lot of regulators and watchdog financial watchdogs are saying is, you know, we are already you know, it's a more like our democracy is already hanging by a thread according to them. You know, this would just make it that much worse and make it yet another thing that would be you know, could be ruled by money. So you know, I think we're gonna have to wait and see because I think there's gonna be more court cases with this, the fact that that one judge said yes and then it then it got stopped. I think there'll be other cases that are coming along, But for this one, we're gonna have to wait for the appeal to see if it'll happen, especially in the twenty twenty four race.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, Sherry, what is the name of the company if people wanted to go to the site you're saying, it's.
Speaker 12: Called kal Ka l s Hi. And you know you can already bet on pre US elections if you're not in the US. The biggest betting uh, you know, Parlay Group by far as Patty Power in the UK and you can bet on anything on Patty anything. And you know, you if you there is a link on there that says outcome of the US presidential race, and then when you go to it if you are in this country, it says due to regulations, you're not allowed to bet on this, So you're not in this country. If you were a UK citizen, you could bet on it and you were in the UK that but would be something that you could do in this country. It's not allowed. They bet on everything over there. I mean, you know you can already bet on everything. And see that's one of the reasons that all these online sports betting places have.
Speaker 10: Become so popular.
Speaker 12: Key people are just betting on the game. They're betting on you know, how high the tip off is going to be, Who's going to get the tip off, who's going to you know, any tiny little thing. And they're saying, if you open that to regulators, say, if you open that to political races there, that's just it's like a Pandora's box and what could be out there and what could be manipulated by bad actors?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And you said that.
Speaker 3: The stay was issued very quickly, so the judge just ruled yesterday and then last night another court said I'll hold on. So then what what happens next? Is it going to keep moving that quickly? Because I would imagine that Calshi wants wants their pieces of the pie before this election, before this I.
Speaker 12: Would keep I would keep an eye on it because they haven't ruled anything onto what's next. So I think we're it's now it's in the stay, so it's in a legal fight, and I'm not sure like when the next arguments will be held or or the appeals will be held. So I think you're gonna have to keep an eye on it and see what happens with that. I mean, I was I was surprised wouldn't happen because I knew that this company had been had been fighting to get this for a couple of years since you know, they have been They see this as a way to make a lot of money, and they also see it as a way to let What they say is, let's let people decide on the election in real time. Whoever is betting that the election is going to win it, it's going to be better than polls because you actually have skin in the game, you have money in it. However, you know, it also is leaves it very wide open for manipulation. I mean, as we can all imagine, you know, somebody who has a whole lot of money, you know, putting it towards one way or the other, and that could sway what happened, so the reliability of it, you know it. You know, it's not the same as as actual polls. But they're arguing that maybe there are some things to be.
Speaker 2: Ganged from this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's one to watch and thank you so much for the information on this. Calci KLSHI and some of the websites haven't caught up yet with that. They've issued that stay. They're saying that the betting can go on right now, so.
Speaker 12: Exactly, but if you go on the CALSHI website right now, like for instance, okay, I'm on there now and I'm going to renew it, it says trading is paused on elections pending the core process. Things that you can can bet on on the site speak no Easel, rotten Tomato score seventy three percent, Hurricane hits New Orleans this year, twenty five percent. Chance you can bet on any of these things.
Speaker 2: Rich already rolled at the end.
Speaker 12: Of the year, I know exactly, and you could bet again on the next one. You know, number of rate cuts we're going to have in twenty twenty four from the Federal Reserve. I mean, any of those things that you can bet on that site now you can't bet On presidential election. However, as of right now, okay.
Speaker 3: And this site existed, and now I'm having fun looking at it.
Speaker 12: Cooked, I'm not going to I'm not crazy at stuff. Ever, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: So is temperature in New York City today that CPI on used cars in September.
Speaker 2: I mean, like weird stuff.
Speaker 3: The Rotten Tomatoes score of being above ninety for Transformers one. How could that possibly be? The latest Transformers movies have been awful? Okay, interesting stuff. Sherry Preston, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 2: Take care, have a great weekend and have a happy Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 12: Oh I forgot you too.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Here's some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Some evacuation orders for a fire that started in Tribuco Canyon and Orange County have been downgraded to warnings. The fire has burned more than twenty three thousand acres since Monday. It's five percent surrounded. Cooler temperatures have helped crews make progress. They say there was a flare up yesterday in an unburned pocket north of Tribuco Canyon, but it's within the fire's existing perimeter. Cruse have been checking for hotspots along the Santiago Peak fire lines and using heavy equipment to create a dozer line toward Otega Highway. People who live near Mountain Baldy Village helped keep some homes from burning.
Speaker 13: As the fire began burning towards a group of homes in the village area, several neighbors began pumping water out of a stream and spraying hillside before cruise arrived. Dave Kitching says he was leaving the area when he spotted his neighbors fighting the fire and decided to join.
Speaker 10: Initially, when it broke around the saddle, I was freaked, truthfully, I mean I looked like an armag gedden, so I was ready to roll.
Speaker 6: A kitchen, says.
Speaker 13: Fire crews fought the fire through the night. Homes in the immediate area where the men worked were spared. In Mount Baldy Blake Trolly KFI.
Speaker 3: News Governor Newsom assigned a bill that'll bring back strict punishments for organized theft and smash and grab robberies. The new law will require harsher penalties for people who caused more than fifty thousand dollars worth of damage while committing a crime. A similar law was passed and was in place before, but it expired in twenty eighteen. Two planes have had a close call on a runway in Nashville, and Alaska Airlines flight headed to Seattle had to slam on the brakes in the middle of takeoff yesterday to avoid hitting a Southwest plane that was crossing the runway. Aviation analyst John Nance credits the Alaska Airlines pilot's decision to abort.
Speaker 10: The decision to stop was an important one it needed to be made in a split second.
Speaker 3: The FAA says the Southwest flight to Florida had been cleared to cross the end of the runway. There were no injuries. The Secret Service has announced there will be increased security at the Capitol during next year's certification of the electoral vote count. The Secret Service will also be taking over security in an effort to prevent a repeat of the twenty twenty one Capital riot. The fire threatening right Wood and Mount Baldy continues to burn out of control, but fire officials say lighter winds, higher humidity, and cooler temperatures are keeping the fire from growing. The fires burned almost fifty two thousand acres, destroyed at least forty homes and buildings, and is zero percent surrounded. Evacuation orders remain for residents of Running Springs and Arrow, Bear Lake, and other communities as the fire continues to burn in the San Bernardino Mountains. It's burned almost thirty eight thousand acres and is twenty one percent surrounded. LA Mayor Bass has celebrated the raising of the Olympic and Paralympic flags at City Hall in advance of LA's hosting the Olympics in twenty twenty eight. It'll be the third time the city has hosted the Olympics. The city also unbuiled an exhibition showcasing photographs and other memorabilia from the nineteen thirty two and eighty four Olympic Games in Los Angeles. At five point fifty, What's your Favorite? The Bear Baby Reindeer Showgun ABC's Jason Nathanson makes his predictions for TV's biggest night, and also is going to share with us what he thinks you may want to binge over the weekend before the Emmy Awards. Let's say good morning now to the House Whisper and the host of Home Here on KFI.
Speaker 2: It's our very own Dean Sharp.
Speaker 9: Morning Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of fun during our talks, but today we have to get a little bit serious because you know, California is literally burning up and the weekend is here, and it might be a great time to spend some time getting your home ready in case of fire breaks out near you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just always I don't know what it is about September, but it's always the time that we set aside because this is when it you know, we had an earthquake yesterday, we got fires. There's a hurricane rolling in, you know, over Louisiana. So yeah, it's just that time and fires, fires suck, they when it comes to threatening homes, and so it's always a good idea to tune up and to get some great advice. That's what we're going to do on Sunday. All of Sunday Show, we're going to be talking about ten specific different ways to fire harden your home.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're going to go into depth with with those on Sunday, but let's just take a little sneak peek at a few of them.
Speaker 9: Well, I think the most important thing for people to realize when it comes to their home. If you live anywhere near an open space area, which most people in southern California do at this point, the thing you need to realize is the majority of homes that are destroyed in wildfires are not not in the direct path of the fire. I think we imagine that the fires coming down the hillside, and certainly for a lot of people it does comes down the hillside and all of a sudden it's in your backyard, and that's how it threatens your home. And of course in those cases that's true, but most homes that are destroyed in wildfires are not in that direct path of the fire.
Speaker 6: What happens?
Speaker 2: How are they burning? How are they burning?
Speaker 9: Embers? Embers from these grassy wildfires are flying through the air, being carried on the wind up to two miles. They are still effective and active up to two miles miles away from the fire.
Speaker 2: They're like little fireballs floating through the.
Speaker 9: Air, exactly. And you combine that with the fact that your attic if it is vented properly, and I say this, it's a beef that I've had with the building code in Southern California for a long time. Because to vent an attic properly, we've got these low vents around our eaves, and then we have higher vents up on our roofline. And what that does is that it draws in cooler air down around our eve line and allows hot air to leave near the top of our attic, and it's supposed to keep our attic better vented and cooler. It also happens to mimic the exact conditions of like a weber kettle as far as being able to feed a fire ember. And so when one of these super light embers gets near our homes, they're actually drawn in through the vacuum of our attic, venting out warm air, and they can be drawn right into the attic. And this is what happens. This is why the way why the fire department gets so frustrated, because you know, they're out there on the hillside working a wildfire, and then suddenly four blocks away from the fire line, two houses are on fire and they have to distribute resources there. And then the next thing you know, six houses are on fire another four or five blocks away. The fire line is not there, but the embers have gotten into attics, and now we've got neighborhoods burning. So the key here for people to realize, if you live anywhere inside that wildlife urban interface, that fire heavy fire zone, you really really need to consider changing out your vents or retrofitting your attic vents to fire safe vents. And that simply means vents that have a baffling system built into them so that air passes in and they do their job just the right way, but the baffling system will stop and from making it all the way in. It'll catch the ember in the vent itself and not allow it to get into the attic. It is an expense. They can be done relatively inexpensively, but man, talk about value for the cost going out. Fire hardening your home in southern California starts with attic vents.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then so let's talk about something like that you could do this weekend, because that's going to be a bigger expense. But there are some things like clearing the space right around your house you could do that as a weekend project.
Speaker 9: Absolutely absolutely, And CalFire, if you go on the CalFire website, you can get a lot of great advice. Clearly, you can talk about our zones there are three zones that the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection otherwise known as CalFire, determines for any house in California. Zone zero is what we call the ember resistance zone, and that is zero to five feet away from your house, and that's just all the junk that is leaning up against your house, that's shoved up against the outside walls of your house. Making sure that what is sitting within five feet of your house is not a pile of stuff that is flammable that could easily go because as soon as that catches on fire, those flames are licking up under the eaves of your roof and again boom, next thing, you know, into the attic. So that first zone, you can just simply clear out stuff that's five feet away from your house. The next zone, Zone one, that's what they call the lean, clean and Green zone. It's from five feet to thirty feet away, and it's just about keeping your yard healthy and green, keeping it well watered and irrigated, and keeping it clean of stuff. And then ultimately the fire resistant zone. And this is a little bit more long term for planting things that aren't super flammable, but that's from thirty two one hundred feet out. So yeah, like you said, right now, this weekend, you can simply get out and spend some time moving flammable or potentially flammable things away from the walls of your home.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So there's some good short term and long term things you can do to protect your home for the next wildfare, because we know they're coming. It might not hit you directly, but you even you said it could be up to two miles away.
Speaker 2: So we're going to have.
Speaker 3: More information on this, and you're going to focus on this for your Sunday show.
Speaker 9: Sunday show, Yeah, and tomorrow we'll be taking calls and talking a little bit about earthquake prep too.
Speaker 2: Oh, because we just had another aftershock this morning.
Speaker 9: You know, I know I felt it when I was sitting by the fire.
Speaker 2: You did, okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: So it's Home with Dean Sharp and eight is Saturday from six to eight and then Sunday from nine to noon. Right here on KFI. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean. Thank you so much, Dean.
Speaker 9: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hey, coming up on September twenty seven, I'm going to jump.
Speaker 3: Off a building, Okay, I'm not jumping off the building, but I am going over the edge.
Speaker 2: Neil Savader is going to join me too.
Speaker 3: We're going over the edge to help raise money for the Union Rescue Mission. The Union Rescue Mission serves the homeless population and hopefully helps some of these people become not homeless anymore. And we know that there's seventy five thousand homeless in LA. We can help them all, but Union Rescue Rescue Mission says you could help just one. So break it down, focus on one, make a donation, and by making a donation, you can help me go over the edge. I'm raising money to do this, Neil's raising money to do this, and you can make your donation at just help one dot org. We also have a post up on my Instagram at Amy K King. It's also at KFI AM six forty a fun little video with Neil and I and you can take a look at where where we're going as we're repelling twenty five stories down the Universal Hilton and again that's happening on September twenty seventh. Now, if you want to repel, you can do it. Just make a one thousand dollars donation and you too, can repel off a building. I think it's going to be terrifying and really fun at the same time. So we're going over the edge. We would love for you to join us again. It's September twenty seventh, and the place to donate is just help one dot org.
Speaker 2: We hope you'll help.
Speaker 3: Firefighters say cooler temperatures and higher humidity are helping to slow the spread of three big fires burning in southern California. The fire threatening Rightwood has burned almost fifty two thousand acres, The fire in the San Bernardino Mountains has burned almost thirty eight thousand, and the fire in Orange and Riverside Counties that has burned some homes near Lake Elsinori is just under twenty four thousand acres. Firefighters are at the scene of a fire of a three story apartment building on North Bunker Hill Avenue in Chinatown. The fire was burning just east of the one ten Freeway. At least five people were hurt la fires, as one was critically injured. The fire spread to the first and third floors of another apartment building that we're getting word that the fire has been extinguished. Fourteen magnitude four point zero or greater. Earthquakes have hit southern California so far this year. That's the most in one year since nineteen eighty eight. The latest was a four point seven that rumbled under Malibu yesterday morning and was felt across much of the Southland Caltex. Asmologists say lots of small quakes do not reduce the odds of a big one. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jason Nathanson. Good morning, Jason. TV's biggest night is just around the corner.
Speaker 10: YEP.
Speaker 6: The Emmys are on Sunday nights.
Speaker 14: So if you're going to be here in the downtown area, just know that that it's happening at the La Live Complex down there, and there's all kinds of traffic problems and issues and the things that you normally have. And this year you're going to have Eugene and Dan Levy, the first ever father son hosting team.
Speaker 2: That's going to be fun.
Speaker 6: I think I'm you We'll see you know. I don't know.
Speaker 14: I think it's a it's an interesting choice. I think it's kind of a strange choice. It's not a normal choice. Usually they go for some kind of comedian, right who was used to a MC ing a night and keeping it going and poking fun at some of the people in the room. These two guys definitely known for comedy. But I don't know, I don't know. Yeah, I don't know the track record about hosting a night like this. So and usually, you know, the show rotates every year between the networks, and this year is ABC's and usually whatever network picks somebody associated with their network.
Speaker 6: So Jimmy Kimmel has done it in the past.
Speaker 14: You know, when it's on NBC, it might be Seth Myers or something like that. Dan and Eugene Levy don't really have It's not like they have a show on ABC right now. Eugene Levy has. He's got that travel show on Apple. He's also on Only Murders in the Building, which is on Hulu, which is kind of an ABC show. I guess ABC adjacent. Yeah, so the whole thing overall, I find a strange pick, but I assume there's a reason why. So you know, I'll reserve my full judgment until I actually see what they do on Sunday Night.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then we'll talk about it next week and di some if they're bad.
Speaker 14: Sure, on Monday morning, Happy they'll be up this time early on Monday morning.
Speaker 6: We talked about it after the show.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's get to the awards part of the show. Do you have some predictions for us or do you have any recommendations for what we should watch before the Emmys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's gonna be.
Speaker 14: There's not gonna be a whole lot of mystery when it comes to the ceremony and who's gonna win.
Speaker 6: We've already seen in the.
Speaker 14: Emmys before the Emmys, the Creative Arts Emmys, where they give out the bulk of it because there's like sixty categories and they can't give those all out in one award show on Sunday, so they've given out a bunch already. Showgun, the FX Feudal Japan series, has already won the most Emmys ever in a single.
Speaker 6: Season, fourteen. Already fourteen.
Speaker 2: It's right for nine more than on Sunday, right, Yeah.
Speaker 14: So every win on Sunday, and it's gonna probably sweep the categories. I think it won fourteen and it was up for sixteen last weekend, so it won almost everything was up for.
Speaker 2: And did you watch Showgun?
Speaker 6: I have not seen the full season of Showgun, yet I did.
Speaker 3: I just binged it and finished. I just finished it, and it was wow.
Speaker 2: It is brutal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very violent and boy there's a lot of people chopping heads off people it is.
Speaker 2: It was really good.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and it's a beautifully done period piece. Yeah, but I think also it's not a show. It got attention when it came out and people were watching it, and the numbers were decent, but it didn't It wasn't huge. It wasn't like a show everybody was talking about.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not the kind of show that I would normally watch. We did a segment on my aming's on it segment and it's like, that's not what I'm drawn to. Sure, So I just ended up watching it because it was getting a little bit of buzz and because of the nominations and stuff, and I was so I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.
Speaker 14: And that's what's good I think about the MS is it does bring attention to some of those shows that not everybody is watching. I think this is one of those shows that a lot of people watching they're listening to us right now, have not seen. So that's one of those shows that you can catch up on this weekend. Other shows in the drama category that I really liked. One that I was late to and just recently binged was Fallout on Prime Video. Oh I liked that one too, Yeah, that was really good. There's also Slow Horses on Apple TV. Plus all of these, by the way, first time nominees this year in the Best Drama category. Over in the comedy category, you know, look, we already had an Emmys this year.
Speaker 6: Remember it was delayed because of the strike last year.
Speaker 14: And The Bear, which was that was up for its first season and it swept everything this year up for its second season.
Speaker 6: Now, just watched the third season of The Bear. That's not what's nominated right now.
Speaker 14: It's the second season the Bear, which was the Jamie the Curtis episode Christmas episode if.
Speaker 6: You remember that.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, she won last week for that episode for a Best Guest Actress. So, uh, the second season The Bear is gonna win. We're most likely gonna win and sweep again in the comedy category.
Speaker 6: It's not funny, even though it's not a comedy, not to say it's not funny.
Speaker 14: It is funny sometimes like they're but it's not like you know, if if you're looking at comedies from for my money, Hacks is the funniest show in the comedy category or is it nominated and Hacks is nominated, Yes, it's last or most recent season. Yeah, so uh that that for me is would be my pick if we're talking about comedies, that would be my pick. But you know, everybody loves the bear, so there you go. And then in the limited series category, which is the other category that people really pay attention to, look for Baby Reindeer to win a bunch.
Speaker 2: Oh good. I forgot about that exactly.
Speaker 14: And that's interesting because it was such a huge thing when it came out, But like a lot of those shows, especially on Netflix, they come out, you binge it all at once, and then.
Speaker 6: You kind of forget about it a week or two later.
Speaker 14: And Baby Reindeer is one of those shows that got so much attention when it first.
Speaker 2: Came out, so good and so creepy, and.
Speaker 14: Then nobody really talked about it after it after that except for lawsuits, which are going through the courts right now, so we'll see if that, if the whole lawsuit thing has any effect on the voters.
Speaker 2: And if you're not familiar the lawsuits are because of.
Speaker 14: Because of the one of the women who she says the Stalker character in the show is based on her. The show claims to be based on true events. She says the Stalker is based on her. The show and its creator Richard Gadd said, no, it's not based on her. That trial actually just got a court date set here in Los Angeles. They're douing Netflix for one hundred and seventy million dollars and that is going to go to trial next year, in May of twenty twenty five. So it'll be a while before that's resolved.
Speaker 3: But immediately we have Emmy's there on Sunday night, and hopefully we'll get to check in with I would love to talk to you on Monday if you're available.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will be available.
Speaker 3: Okay, awesome, Thank you so much, Jason Nathanson. Have a happy Friday the thirteenth, you too.
Speaker 2: Take care all right.
Speaker 3: Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Braves in Atlanta, with the first pitch going out at four to twenty. You can listen to every play of every game on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all the games in HD.
Speaker 2: On the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Keyword Am five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kono, along with traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.