Speaker 1: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you a fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver?
Speaker 3: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: No prigs necessary void overby. I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: Judy was boring Hello, then Judy discovered chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 1: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon Who.
Speaker 2: Take it easy, Judy, jump the CHUMBA life that's for everybody. So go to chumbacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 3: Jump chumpacasino dot com. Nope, just necessary boid.
Speaker 2: We're prohibited to my long eighteen plus terms and conditioned plice Let's lot.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker DTK. Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 5: Good Evening. This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that are written about them. In nineteen ninety two, Lewis Duncan, acclaimed author of fictional suspense, wrote a horror story she could never have imagined, writing a true account of the murder of her own daughter, kate Lynarquette. Kate eighteen, was shot to death as she drove home from a friend's house on a Sunday evening in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Police closed the unsolved case as a random shooting, refusing to accept information that indicated otherwise, although it had all the earmarks of a professional hit. That first book, Who Killed My Daughter was Duncan's desperate attempt to motivate informants and prevent the facts of Kate's story from becoming buried. It turned out to accomplish much more than that. Duncan's new book, One to the Wolves on the Trail of a Killer, is even more horrifying than its predecessor. As new information poured in, the family ran for their lives, and their original suspicions turned out to be the tip of an iceberg so immense that Kate herself could not have known how dangerous the information was that she had been sitting on in order to protect and now estranged boyfriend. The book that we're featuring this evening is One to the Wolves on the Trail of a Killer, with my special guest, journalist and author, Lois Duncan. Welcome to the program, and thank you for agreeing to this interview. Lois Duncan, Thank.
Speaker 6: You Dan, thank you for having me on, and thank you for caring about us and about Kate.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's my pleasure. This is an incredible book and of course an incredible case. And if there is ever a case it's more personal, I can't imagine it. So let's get to this incredible story with the introduction of yourself, because this is actually, as you point out, and it's very obvious, this is quite ironic. Tell us what your chosen career has been, and you've been successful in this profession. Tell us what you are, what kind of author you are, and the type of books that you have written.
Speaker 6: I always knew I was going to be a writer. I was starting to send stories to magazines when I was ten years old, and began to sell them when I was thirteen, and I sold my first book. I wrote my first book at age twenty that was called Debutante Heel, which put me back and you can see what era I came from. That was published in nineteen fifty seven and it's just recently been republished. And so I started with these gentle teenage stories, and then at some point I started writing suspense novels for teenagers, and that turned out to be the niche that I was placed into and became popular in with books like I Know what You Did Last Summer and Killing Mister Griffin. And by this time I've written over fifty books, so I've had a very long career. But never ever did I think that I would be writing a book about the murder of my own child.
Speaker 5: Yes, now, tell us about your life with Caitlin our Cat. I guess this is your pen name that you're using as Lois Duncan as a writer. But tell us about life growing up, about your husband and Caitlin and any siblings. Tell us about what her life was really like, and then you can explain what really characterized her particular personality and what was her ambitions and goals and dreams in life. Tell us a little bit about Kaitlyn our Cat. Please.
Speaker 6: Well. I grew up in a very gentle home with parents who never ever thought about evil entering into our lives. And it was just my brother and me and my parents, and we were very happy family, what you'd call the absolute normal family. And I married Donna Arquette, and I had had a previous marriage with three children and was divorced, and Donna adopted my three children, and then he and I went on to have two more children of our own, Donnie Arquette, Don Junior, and Kate, who was our baby. And so we had five children, were raising five children. We were living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. All our children were interesting in their own way, and Kate, being the baby of the family, was doted on of course by all of us. And she was very bright, and she was she wanted to become a doctor so she could help people save lives. She was a humanitarian early on. She became an organ donor as soon as she could get her driver's license. And she was also very strong willed and rebellious and funny and delightful and beautiful. And that is a dangerous combination of things to have. And that was our youngest child. And Kate is the one who was chased on in her car and shot to death. And all of those traits that she had probably contributed to the murder because it made her someone who went out and did things that we didn't know about. And it also contributed to what she donated from her life because being an organ downer, she never got to become the doctor she had always wanted to be, but five of her organs were transplanted, and so five lives were saved because Kate died.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Well that she cared enough to be an organ donator, because people don't always.
Speaker 6: Do that, not when not when they're that young. She was saying she wanted to be an organ doner when she was twelve, and as soon as she got her driver's license, that's what she put on it. So when she died, we knew, we knew that we had to keep her. She was pronounced brain dead, and we knew we had to keep her body going long enough to get her organs transplanted, because that's what she wanted to have happened.
Speaker 5: Now. I know this is you know, maybe even a painful question, but I think it's important as we talk about this case. Now you say that there are things that, of course, especially teenage children are not going to as close as any parent can be with their child. I mean, there's going to be some secrets between them, some things that are held back, and things that obviously they're not going to necessarily share. But overall, as you write in the book, is it's not like this is Caitlin was a troubled youth or anything. But was there you know, if we talk about, you know, the period of time when she has this boyfriend Dung, tell us about this relationship, how long it had occurred, and the meeting of you with the boyfriend or the contact or any information you have about that. What was your initial impression hearing about or meeting tell us about the relationship with this Vietnamese person Dung and your reaction tell us, well.
Speaker 6: I'll start with your first question about what Kate was like. Kate withheld things like any teenager would. But Kate never had been in trouble of any kind. She was the gold star kid, she was honor society. She didn't smoke, she didn't drink, she didn't do drugs. She'd never been in trouble with the law. She had a curfew, she kept it. So it's not like we had anything to make us think this could happen. Kate also was a person that was a humanitarian, and she was always bringing home straight animals that were hurt and nursing them back to health, and stray people who had problems, and Kate wanted to help them deal with their problems. And in this case, this was a young Vietnamese man. He was one of the boat kids. He came over. He was struggling with the language, She was homesick his family back in Vietnam. He and Kate met at a coffee house. She more or less adopted him, and I think it started like that. She brought him home all the time, and he called me mom and would stand over me in the kitchen as I cooked and be so excited about being in a real home, and so it was like she was first it was like she was taking care of him, and then it went on and it turned into a romantic relationship. And we really didn't know much about him because he was he was around all the time because she had him there taking care of him. But his language is English, was not good, so it's hard to have a conversation with him. And Kate I would say nothing about him that wasn't good, and we had no idea that anything was wrong. And when Kate graduated, she already had a job, she was self supporting. She graduated, she immediately got her own apartment. She wanted to be independent and she could pay for it out of what she was earning with her work. And she took him in to live with her there. And I think that once that happened, she learned about things that she didn't know before that, because before that she had a curfew. He would be at our house, he'd go home, as far as we knew, I'd go to bed. Maybe she slipped out, I don't know. But once she had her own place and he moved in, and then all his friends came swarming in and she realized that his friends were part of a criminal group. I think she, in the last couple of months of her life, learned about a lot of things she was not supposed to know, and then she broke up with him. And the night she broke up with him, she was chased down in her car and shot to death. So I'm not thinking that he did it, but I'm thinking that she knew too much and she was now angry and was in a position to expose it and she was taken out. Yeah, that's speculation, Dan, No.
Speaker 5: But there's inferences and so there's there's a difference, and so we'll get to that as well, because don't you know, don't downplay that sort of thing, because you provide a lot of information. And that's all investigation, ever is, whether it's police or private investigation or private citizens and doing an investigation. So there's always validity, certainly, and there's logic involved there too. So let us go back to unfortunately, tell us what happened in terms of Again, it's important for people to understand this case because of the implausibility of the Again, we talk about a random shooting and it looks like an assassination, and you just mentioned that there was good reason for someone to have her assassinated. So tell us just about if whatever you can handle in terms of again, it's very interesting that the car travels seven hundred and twenty feet and then it's put in park. So tell us about what actually happened that night, take us back to the faithful event prior to that, and then lead us up to what at first was known about and what you knew initially about what had happened.
Speaker 6: The night of the murder. Kate left her apartment, came over to our house. She arrived at six pm. I know exactly when she arrived because sixty minutes had just started, so she walked in the door just as the show started, so I know that absolutely. And she told us that she had to break up with her boyfriend. You said Dung. Actually it's pronounced yune as far as the Vietnamese pronunciation goes, and that it was over something very serious. That she had told him he had to move out of her apartment, she didn't want him or his friends around anymore. And she said she was going to the home of a new girlfriend for dinner, and that she was going to then come back and spend the night at our house. She was not going to go back into the apartment until he was gone, And so she went to the home of the girlfriend, and when she left the home, she was chased down in her car and shot to death driving in the direction of our house.
Speaker 5: Now this is important too. Where was she shot?
Speaker 6: She was shot twice in the head. Yeah, I mean you mean where in the town was she shut?
Speaker 5: No? No, no, no, that's what I wanted to establish that the you know, because again a random shooting, with a random shooting with two shots.
Speaker 6: There were three shots that we know of that were fired. Two went through the glass driver's side window which was up and entered her head, and another bullet entered the doorframe behind her head. Right, And uh, this is interesting. No case things were ever found, No bullets were ever found, the bullet that went into.
Speaker 1: The Hello, it is Ryan And we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck casino has all your favorite social casino style games. You can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your bright New day Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: Nob just necessary dtail where I lost the terms conditions eighteen.
Speaker 2: Plus Judy was boring Hello, then Judy discuss jumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 2: WHOA take it easy, Judy. Jump The Jump of Life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 3: Jump Jump acasino dot com. Noe's necessary weight. We're looking into my montem plus terms and condition to pluey. What's every details?
Speaker 6: Were frame of the car went through? Never found? According to police report. We think it probably was found, but uh the police report say it wasn't. The bullets that went into her head were never found. They apparently, according to the UH investor the medical investigator, must have been of such small caliber that they shattered when they entered her head, and that the fragments must have been swept away in their bloodstream. However, the hole in the side of the car on the doorframe is quite large. If you go to our website you can see a picture of it, or if you read under the Wolves, we've got a good sized picture of it there showing the size of that hole. And that hole is certainly not a twenty two. That is a large sized bullet, which would suggest to us that two guns were shoes used. And if that's the case, that was not random.
Speaker 5: Certainly, certainly. Now, what do the police released to the public, and what do the police say to you? And how soon? How many how much time elapses before authorities contact you, how do they contact you? Tell us about that.
Speaker 6: We were called from the hospital and my husband Donn and I were asleep and we were called just before midnight, and it was a nurse from the hospital or some representative there said your daughter is here and she's been injured. And I immediately said, well, what's wrong. They said, we cannot talk to you on the phone. You have to come down, and so of course we jumped into our clothes and drove straight to the hospital, and all we could think of was it must have been a car wreck. She's gone to her girlfriend's house. She never came back here to go to sleep like she said she would. She's been in a car wreck. And I got out. My husband took the car around to park it, and I got out and ran in the emergency room door, and a nurse came out and put her arms around me. And right then I thought, oh god, this is worse than I ever imagined. And I said, it's a car wreck, is that? And she said, your daughter's been shot in the head. And then she said you've got to prepare yourself for the fact that you may lose her. And she was in a coma and her brains were shattered. And I leader asked the doctor, what you know, what shoul would we pray for? What would you pray for if this was your child? He said, I don't know what to tell you. He said, if she lives, she'll never be Kate and is he implied, she'll be a vegetable. And she continued to live for twenty hours on life support, and then she went frain dead and I had to be the one to say take her off life support. And I figured I had to be the one because I was the one who brought her into the world, so I should be the one that takes her out. And the young man who was waiting for her heart and lungs was already prepped on the next floor waiting to get them, and I knew she wanted to donate them. I knew she no longer had a brain, so I said, I'm plugger. Yeah, that was the worst thing I've ever had to do in my life.
Speaker 5: Of course, of course, he I can only imagine now to top this off, of course, there's the nagging questions of who and why and so what the what's police? What are the what are the police's official explanation via their release and their explanation to you.
Speaker 6: In the beginning, there there was a there was a good young homicide detective Steve Gagels. I will name names here because they're all matter of record, And he was in charge of her case, and he was doing things right. He was going around. He was He went straight to the girlfriend's house, then he went straight to the apartment where Kate's boyfriend was and woke him up to break the news to him. Well, we later discovered that that two hours before that the boyfriended or even calling people telling them that Kate had been shot. But Steve Kaaliegis didn't know that, and so Detective Gaia Goos was doing everything that he could during those first days and trying hard. And then it was almost like something came down and blocked him, like somebody said, stop it. You're not to go on this track. This was a random drive by shooting, and you are not to look at anymore. And he was just a young detective and he obeyed his superiors. And this is I am again speculating why he did this, but I saw him doing all the right things, and then I saw it blocked. And then suddenly the police said, random drive by shooting, and we will not accept any information that indicates otherwise. And that was.
Speaker 5: Let's just get back to this, because I think this is very important. You said that. Of course, you write in the book that a few hours later, three hours later, the police contact Nung Kate's boyfriend and two to tell him about the death of his girlfriend and to see his reaction. As they know that they're always looking at people closest to the victim. In this particular case, the boyfriend is a likely suspect that they have to rule out or or you know, consider an interesting suspect. How did you find out that he had contacted his friends? How certain are you with this in terms of he contacted his friends saying that Kate had been shot? And then the police report tell us about how certain you are about that information?
Speaker 6: Because Kate, much after the fact, Kate's hairdresser contacted us, and because we have a website up that we had email way for testers to get in touch with us, and she contacted us and told us that and she wasn't just Kate's hairdresser. She was a personal friend to Kate, babysat with her children, and she used Kate as a hair model. And she said that you had phoned her babbling hysterically. Kate's dead. They shot Kate. Kate's dead. And she knew exactly what time he called because the late news had just gone off and she and her husband were getting ready for bed, and so her husband could support her statement. And this was hours before the police went to the apartment and woke up you. And so there's no reason to disbelieve this young woman who would contact us. And she also told us she called the police within weeks of the shooting and told them this, and they said that they would not take her information because it was a random shooting, and this suggested something else. Yeah, she was very frustrated. She has actually allowed us to take a video of her making this statement about the shooting. She was very angry that she was shrugged off with important information, and we owe her a lot for her honesty and her her courage to come to us and tell us that.
Speaker 5: Now you just mentioned it, but maybe we should talk about how strong this is because, as I did in the introduction, you wrote a book earlier and was public in nineteen ninety four looking for information about the murder itself and seeking people to come and help out and contact you. You also had a website and chat sites and all kinds of people behind this. So tell us a little bit more about that. And then another interesting thing is the private eye, the lady that contacts you at some point too. So maybe we're jumping ahead there, but again, tell us a little bit more about how dedicated and serious you people were about getting information about your daughter's murder and certainly being very active. Tell us about all the things that you.
Speaker 3: Did do.
Speaker 6: Well. The first indication we had that something was really wrong was when I was paying Kate's final bills and I was paying her phone bill, and I thought two phone calls to California that were made while Kate was dying. In fact, they were made right after her she was pronounced dead, and they were made from her apartment, and nobody was supposed to be in that apartment. The boyfriend was at the hospital with us, and who were those people in California that were being phoned at that point? And that's why I went to the police and said, something's wrong. You need to check this. Check out these phone numbers, and they said, well, we can't check them out because they're unlisted. Because and I said, well, surely the police have a way to get those and they said, oh no, no, that would be illegal. Well, I thought writing at the University of New Mexico, thought magazine writing for the journalism department, and a lot of my students had gone on to become reporters. So I called one of them, who was an investigative reporter, Mike Gallagher is his name, at the Albuquerque Journal, and I said, do you know how to get find out whose number this is and he said, yeah, I can find it out and he found out. He called me and we discovered that this was a criminal group of Vietnamese people in California that were involved in a car recinsurance fraud scam, and that Kate's boyfriend and his friends were involved in that, that Kate had gone out and witnessed one of the wrecks. Right then we started thinking, now, wait, something is very very wrong here. If the police don't even want to look at this, and here my kid from my class was able to go find out whose number, it was like, couldn't the police do it? And that's when we started turning onto the fact that something was very wrong, and we started getting more and more information. Everything we tried to give to the police, they said, no, we don't want it because it's a random shooting. And finally they dropped off the case, said we're done with it and we're never going to do any further investigation. And only then did I write a book because I didn't want to get in the way of a police investigation. But when they said that they were not going to do anymore, I wrote, who killed my daughter? And that made that book went wild. It sold extremely Well, it's still in print and you can get it on Amazon or anywhere else. It's in paperback, and it's also an ebook. And who killed My door? Opened the door because it threw me into all these talk shows all over the country like Larry King in Good Morning America and Unsolved Mysteries and Sally Jesse Resciale and Kate's story suddenly was big news. And the police had never expected that this is a little teenager in Albuquerque being shot to death. Why would anyone ever noticed that? Well, suddenly everybody in the United States was noticing the Caitlin Arquent murder, and that police, of course hated us, especially I mean hated me, and we started getting death threats to the rest of our family. So we left Albuquerque, and I'm glad we did because I think those death threats were serious. And that sparked a lot of people, tipsters, people who had information about the case to start contacting us. And it also brought in outside investigators who were interested in the case, wanted to help US, forensic experts, crime scene analysts, and in particular the private investigator Pat Carristo that you referred to, who had information about a man who was standing next to Kate's car when the first officers arrived. That man, Paul Appadaka, had a long record of violent assaults upon women, and he was allowed to leave the scene without ever being questioned as either a witness or suspect. And if you find a man with that background standing next to a car where there's a young woman who's been shot in the head, you'd think that you would at least get some information from him. So she became our mother, Teresa figure, and these people were all helping as pro bono, and they got more and more involved, and we've come to call them Kate's army, because it's like this whole army from outside of us has expanded with so many people invested in in our daughter that she's become almost like a poster child for somebody who's case has been corruptly investigated.
Speaker 5: Now, the question I wanted to ask you because when Cristo does contact you with this information and she's and she bypasses all of the because what was interesting about the book is that you went and took money from the book sales of I know what you did last summer, which you know, well, I wasn't so happy with that. But I took the money and we used it for to give to a donation and then to basically hire a tip line to gather tips. And then when you said, okay, can we have those tips, they go no, no, we can only give these to police. And you figure, well, there'll at least be a couple tips out of those. And then this woman Christo bypassed that after I think Sally Jesse Rafael and said, listen, did you know this?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 5: I want to ask you this though, doesn't this sort of complicate the Vietnamese? I mean, I was with you all the way with oh, okay, this makes logical sense. The boyfriend and especially the statement he said to her hairdresser friend that you know they've shot they've shot Kate. They've shot Kate, you know. So doesn't this really complicate the case? This abacando guy is standing next to the vehicle made it mean? It gives freedom?
Speaker 6: That's what you're saying is didn't everything is complicated the case because the more informational we get, the bigger the case becomes, and it's no longer just the boyfriend and his little group that was involved in things. Uh. The more we find out. The more we're finding about other criminal activities that linked to this, including they were some of them. I don't know, Yeah it was the boyfriend didn't mention this to Kate, I think, but uh, stealing microchips from places like Intel, where some of them had jobs, and smuggling them and selling them, and then importation of drugs from the from Asia. And we're beginning to get into all kinds of criminal activities that we never suspected when I wrote the first book. Because we got more and more information made it more and more complicated, because no longer did I think, well, it's just a simple shooting because the boyfriend was man at her. Now I have to think there's something really huge going on that this boyfriend and his little group were on the fringe of and knew about it and were participating in in some fringe level. But whatever that level was, it was enough so that if people had followed up on it, it would have opened a huge can of worms that would have reflected on all the people that were protecting these various criminal activity. This was this was the tip of the iceberg. What I stumbled on when I wrote that first book. I thought, oh, how smart I am I've discovered it all and then we've discovered now how much more there was to it. And if you read One to the Wolves, you will see where I'm heading with this. But I don't you don't really want to get into the whole thing here. But I think anyone who reads that can put the pieces together and form their decision about who was the bottom line person involved in covering up all these activities.
Speaker 5: The thing is what we skipped over is and again this must have made your heart skip a beat at least when initially happened. Is this He's reading a book that about six months after Kate's murder there was a rest of three young men and subsequent confessions when that happened, tell us what your thoughts were at that time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, about six months after the shooting, just when we were starting to really rile up and force the police to look at the things like the phone calls out of Kate's place, all of a sudden they arrested three young Hispanic men for randomly shooting Kate, and doubt their eyewitness had been in prison at the time of the shooting, so their arrests fell through because there was no evidence against these Hispanic men. They were little creeps who had been in trouble with the law, but there was nothing to tie inticate's case. Once the eyewitness, who was a fifteen year old who later told the media that he was bullied into saying that these bullied by police into saying that these guys had done it, was discovered to have been in the detention center at the time of the shooting. He couldn't have been an eyewitness, and the charges were dropped against the Hispanic man. Yet because they've been arrested, all the police have to do is make an arrest to say that the case is closed. There doesn't have to be a t a conviction, a trial, a conviction, anything. All there has to be is an arrest. They can go out and arrest anybody on the street corner and then say, well, we've made our arrest, so we've done our job. And if the case hasn't, if they weren't found guilty, that's up to the prosecutor. They didn't do their job right. And so where the case stands now is it's open. If you ask the police, it's open, which means that since it's open, no other agency can investigate it. And yet it's in active, which means the police don't have to investigate it. So there you're stuck in this bind where nobody else can investigate it because it belongs to the Albuquerque Police Department. They own Kate's case, and yet they're not gonna investigate and no further cause they've they've closed it because then they made their arrest, and they jump back and forth, Queen saying it's open case in the closed case, depending upon who wants to look at it. And for the average person like us trying to get information, trying to get another agency involved helping us, FBI wanted to become involved that since murder is not a federal crime, they can only become involved if the investigating police department invites them, in which they refused to do.
Speaker 5: Well, is it such a wild thought, though, that because you've made them from the very first appearance on Good Morning America, where you seem to have not you know, you said Jesus was a horrible, embarrassing, disastrous interview here because they had interviewed the Albuquerque, New Mexico Police and it basically just got you to respond to it was sort of a one sided interview in terms of how they sort of the angle of the interview itself, and then you were sort of defended against the allegation that you were a grieving mother who didn't know any better and just blame the police for because you have to blame somebody. But it did resonate with a lot of people. Is there Is it such a wild thought to think that the police, despite having to do their job, having to do the right thing, that they were very, very angered, embarrassed and humiliated by your actions and thought that you were out of your league or went beyond your rights to be able to try to investigate this murder of your own daughter.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm sure that's true. However, I did not write the book and I did not give any interviews until after the police said that they were done with the case. At that point, I was not getting in the way of any investigation, and so there was no reason not to take a next step. And the only reason I was able to get this book published, that first book was because I had built up a background as Lois Duncan, a writer of suspense novels. And by now I've written fifty books, and I had built a reputation and I had a readership. And so I was able to write and have published a book that had no ending, and most people don't have a way to do that. And so I was very fortunate in being that physician. I was in not that anyone's fortunate in losing their child, but I was fortunate in having the ability and the access to getting a book published by a traditional publisher and promoted. And so yes, I'm the police, of course, got more and more and more angry the more attention this case got. Uh, the more shows I appeared on, the angrier they became. And that's of course a very reasonable thing. Uh. And I think the good cops really got brainwashed by the others to the point where they believed it too. Today's young generation of police officers if they if you would talk to them, they would say, well, this case got solved, and this mother just just wrecked their case by writing a book. They don't even know themselves that the book wasn't published until after the police was tone with the case. They're not the bad guys. I think whoever was there at the time was controlling the case, was being controlled by somebody else, and that every all the all the officers since simply believed the party line. So I'm definitely not saying the whole department's rotten. But but whatever happened at some point poisoned the case and made it impossible for the other officers to do anything other than just say, well, it's a cold case. Let's forget it. But it's not cool to us now.
Speaker 5: What it was interesting too, is the behavior of Kate's boyfriend Noon. We talked about his reaction again, him calling his friends, numerous friends previous to the police, so apparently waking him up from a deep sleep to tell him about to inform him of Kate's murder. Despite that, there's some other behavior that you've uncovered that is very, very odd and is not in sync with somebody grieving a girlfriend's murder. Tell us some of Noon's behavior, especially proceeding or just after the murder.
Speaker 6: Well, he came to the schuneral. I think he was sincerely grieving. I do not believe he killed Kate, and I do not believe he wanted Kate to be killed. I think he told people too much. He was mad at her, and he told people that she was a bitch and she was going to blow the whistle on this stuff. And that he by doing that, he set the wheels in motion that caused Kate to be chased down and shot to death. And either he was at the scene at the time of shooting or one of his friends was who called him and told him about it, because how else would he have known about it.
Speaker 4: So but I.
Speaker 6: Have never thought that he did it. They did a primer residue test on his hands. He had not fired a gun. I do not think he did it. He came with you know, I think he was surely grieving. He came to our home after the funeral when we had the wake, the people who would come to the home and eat and commiserate and so forth. And then he went to the apartment of a friend, and he had an a Vietnamese friend, and he ended up with a knife in his belly that night, and the police said it was a suicide attempt. Even himself later said it was a suicide attempt. I went to the hospital to talk to he survived. I went to the hospital to ask him about how he was. At that point, I had no no problem with him. I didn't suspect him. I was worried about him, sincerely, and he first he put his arms around my nick and said, mom, thank you for coming. And he said I didn't kill her. And I said, I know you didn't kill her, and then I paused, and then I said, but you know who did. And I said you have to decide if you love her enough to tell. And he paused, and then he said, I know I am deciding.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: That to me says he he has the knowledge but is afraid, and I think someone else probably intimidated him by sticking and I in his spelly. There were about six people linked to Kate's case who ended up stabbed or splashed right after the murder. I think that was attempts to intimidate witnesses, and that's an awful lot of people to have accidents happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you've laid out a great case because I mean, this is where the evidence does direct itself to I mean, I can agree with you, I mean lots of times. The only thing is that the guy that was hanging around the car again, of course police should have questioned him, but it really doesn't make any sense for this to be a carjacking because of the way she was shot in the head. That's an assassination of I'm not an expert, but I have recently found discovered apparently that that sometimes they will shoot a person in the top of the head so that the bullet fragments break up in the head, since that part of the body is probably the hardest part of the body. I'm not an expert, but when I look at your case, it does look like an assassination.
Speaker 6: It doesn't look like an assassination. Pardon you said, it doesn't look like an assassination. No, it does, Yeah, it does, it does. And also, uh, it was not a drive by shooting. There was damage to the back of kid's car rear and damage like her car had been hit from behind, forced off the road using the pit technique, which is when you clip the corner back left corner of a vehicle and it makes it turned to the left and swerve and run across. That damage was not there prior to that night, and that suggests strongly that she was knocked off the road and then someone on foot came up and shot her through the window. It was everyone says. Everybody said it was a close shooting, a close up shooting. It does not sound like something that you could do from two cars racing along the road and you take some wild shots and so it sounds like it was carefully orchestrated, and well, we're just dan. We're doing the best we can to keep it going, to keep finding things out. Every time we do a show like this, every time people contact us, there are people who have information who maybe they didn't know that information was important at the time. Little things like how would her hairdresser know it was important? What time the boyfriend called and told her about the shooting, How would she know? How would most people know that something was important unless they can see it in context with the whole picture. And that's what I hope the book One to the Wolves on the Trail of a Killer will do that. People who read it will put pieces into context and say, wait a minute, I know something. I heard somebody talking in a bar who said such and such, and that would fill in this little piece of the jigsaw puzzle that's missing. People hear things during pillow Talk. We've gotten some of our best information from wives, estranged wives and girlfriends of cops involved in the cover up who told them things during pillow Talk. And these wives and girlfriends are now angry and they've contacted us told us things, and we never accept any information as valid unless our private investigator follows up on it and can verify it, because too many people come up with too much guff. But in this case a lot of these wives and girlfriends were right on the button. People, especially as time goes by, people talk, They talk too much, if they have a few drinks, they talk too much, and so we hear it and we learn it through our website. My email address is all over the internet. It's my real email address, Lois Duncan, and I have it there so that people can contact me and I read everything it comes in, even if if they're death threats, I read them. And people we have a website for Kate with a message board. People can post anonymously on that. What is the website, It's katearcat at arcats dot com. Kate is spelling A A I T and our cat is a r q U E T T E great and we're we're looking always for new information. But we also would like people to know about the book and to spread the word to others about it because it's come out as an e book first, and you can get an ebook reviewed very well, very easily, and the only way people know about it is through word of mouth, so it's it's certainly available on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or any place for nooks and kindles or anything you can download. We're hoping that later it'll come out as a hard copy, but for right now, it's an ebook.
Speaker 5: And the other thing I wanted to mention too is that And we have another guest on. Donna Kaufman is on in a couple of weeks with Cyril Wect and again another part of the Planet and Rule. Tell us your involvement with Planet and Rule. And again this is again she's been called the Queen of true crime, and anybody knows anything has read any true crime book at all has to have read and Rule book, and everybody beloved true crime writer starting her career with talking and her first subject was Ted Bundy. But tell us about the Planet n Rule. And because this is a major endorsement of this importance of this book, and also how great a read it is. It really is a great book. It's you can't put this thing down. And of course, the credibility of Anne rules. She's not going to put her name in her review to anything that isn't of the really the best quality. So tell us about your involvement with Planet and Rule.
Speaker 6: Well, Dan, this you don't know about this, but start with Ann Rule and I were both young, divorced mothers with children, and I had started my career and she had not started hers as a writer. She was a police officer, I think at the time, but she wanted to be a right She was raising her children by herself. I was raising mind by myself. But I had started making career as a writer. And I gave a talk at a writer's conference and Anne Rule sat in the back of the room and she thought, if that woman can do it, I can do it. Well said. Some years later, I was on the panel of another writer's conference or librarian's conference or something, and the person we were all being introduced in order. A person introduced ahead of me was Anne Ruhl, who had and he said, when she's just received two million dollar advance on her next book or something like that. I thought, oh my god, I've got to follow that. What kind of actors I have to follow? How can possibly? But so they said, here's Lois Duncan, who writes the teenage suspense novels and Anne Ruel jumped up and ran across the stage, threw her arms around me and said, Lois duncan my mentor well, I just melted. That was the beginning of a friendship. And from then on, of course, we followed each other, and we've met fairly as frequently as we could, considering you live in different sides of the country. Our children became friends, and Anne got better and better known and became so wonderful. And when I wrote this book, Anne Rule had just started her own ebook publishing company, Planet Ann Rule, and she said, normally they're just publishing her own books as electronic books, but in this case, she wanted to publish one of the Wolves. She felt so strongly, she was so emotionally invested in Keith's case right from the beginning, that she wanted to be the one to publish it. And she wrote a wonderful endorsement for it. And so minus the first book other than Ann Rule's own books that Planet and Rule has published, and they haven't yet started publishing hard copies, but they're get ready to start doing that. They're a fledgling company, but I think they're taking off. Well. A company is being run by Leslie Rule, who is AM's daughter, right and so also an author. Yeah, she's also an author, and I endorse some of her books which are quite good, and so it's almost like an all in the family thing. But Anne would never endorse a book she didn't believe in, and she believes so totally. In Kate's case, she's been our strongest supporter right from the beginning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, that's that's really good. I know it's a major endorsement, and I know Anne Rule, that's the kind of writing she has known for as well. Is really a victim's advocate, that's and that's her approach as well, you know, human of course, well not humanizing, bringing the reader into the victim's life and of course are inevitable, their inevitable death, and to show people how everything works, how everything happened in that person's life. The unfortunate incidence is sometimes there is little bits of sort of happy endings, somewhat true crime isn't really known for that. And then there's the heart wrenching, very very heart wrenching, like your case, your personal involvement, and then the questions unanswered and the justice undone.
Speaker 6: So I well, I think the thing that makes my book probably different from the others that you review on your program is that it's written not by someone who's a recognized true crime writer about somebody else's case, but it's written by other about their own case, and it's written in first person, so there's a human element in it. Yeah. I would never want to write a book about someone else's case. I wouldn't have the strength to do it. But I've had enough strengths to handle writing about case.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, Well, on this program, we just talk about individual cases lots of times, because there are certainly true crime writers that have twenty or thirty books, but there are certain books in certain cases that resonate with me. And that's why we've done cases of wrongful conviction, open cases where you know the journalist, the author, the police officer, the people are still looking for answers and for the culprit. So again, it's just to me, it's fascinating all of these aspects, the different types of books that are now categorized as true crime. And I'm glad that it's your book is considered true crime, so that we've had this opportunity to share the story with an international audience and just hopefully that there will be an audience that listens in and has that, like you say, one little bit tidbit of information that adds when it's put into all the context of hearing all the other information. So I wish you the very very best with that, and hopefully some federal authorities will maybe reopen this case because you've certainly done your due diligence and done an incredible amount of evidence gathering and it's very clear and coherent and sensible and reasonable. And the way you've done it is to exhaust all attempts to contact the police and give them the evidence and present the case and analysis of the case by private investigators that are credible. So I just hopefully somebody that has more authority will look at this case because certainly there is a lot of evidence that you've presented and it makes an incredible amount of sense to me. So I wish you the very very best with this and congratulate you on this incredible effort.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Dan.
Speaker 5: Well. I want to say that it has been great at interviewing this evening, and I want to tell everybody that I'm listening to Lois Duncan. It's one to the wolves and it's available everywhere. And thank you very much Lois for this interview, and have yourself a good evening.
Speaker 6: Thank you, good night, good night,