Speaker 1: All right, seven hundred WYLWT welcome back. It is one O seven here in the Greater Cincinnati area, counting down to a number of things this week, not the least of which opening Day Thursday at Great American Ballpark. Weather is improving and that's the way we like it. It's amazing to think back, but it will be in twenty twenty six, twenty five years since the greatest attack on this country when a band of thugs, a very small band of thugs, pulled off what we now referred to as nine to eleven and close to three thousand people lost their lives on that day, nine eleven, two thousand and one. It took almost ten years to hunt down and bring to justice the man who was the mastermind behind the nine to eleven attacks, and that of course, was Osama bin Laden.
Speaker 2: And it took.
Speaker 1: The most elite fighting force that's out there, the most specially trained fighting force that is out there, to bring Osama bin Laden to his death and to his justice. And it is an honor to welcome into seven hundred WYLW the man who was senior Chief Special Warfare Operator, a Navy Sealed Team six leader, highly decorated, he was with Sealed Team two, Sealed Team four, and eight years with the legendary Seal Team six. It is an honor to welcome in Rob O'Neill. Rob, how are you on this glorious deck.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Thanks for having me. I'm having a great day. It's Monday, but it's a good one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh no, fine, great, yea. The first question is an innocuous one. Have you ever been to Cincinnati? Oh?
Speaker 3: Of course. Yeah. It's the best chili in the world. And here's a little story for it too. Two guys that went on the bin Lotenraate with me were from Cincinnati. Before the bin Lotenraight, we were in Iraq with no TV, no air conditioning. We're just there. I actually learned every word to the Cincinnati Bengals fights on the Bengal Garrause we'd sit there in one hundred degree heat. Then I wanted to teach me because that was so uplifting. So we just sing out of nowhere. When Morale was in the dumping it was too hot, we just started saying the bangle. I know to this day still, but I think it's my daughters.
Speaker 2: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 1: You were so it took almost ten years to get Ben Laden. He got May second, two thousand and eleven is one it happened. I've read enough to know and understand enough to know that the training for that mission began long before May of twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: How far in.
Speaker 1: Advance did you Seal Team six be begin training for that mission?
Speaker 3: It was about two weeks before we we was confirmed that we were going to go after Bin Laden, But we'd actually been preparing for it before because we've been immediately to war after nine to eleven, and just we'll we learned in combat in Afghanistan first, then Iraq, then all over you know, to include Yemen and Somalia, the Indian Ocean. We just got really good at what we were doing. We got really good at fighting the enemy and how to exploit it. And what that means is we just got better at keeping it simple. We stopped complicating everything. And if like someone asked me before, how do you clear a compound as big as the Loddens? And I just said, well, if the guy in front of me goes left, I go right. And then we just do that over and over and over, and we I mean, we just mentioned football, what like there are certain times in life where it doesn't matter how you got here, You're just here. And that happened at the bin Lodden Rad when a helicopter crashed. But when I talked to football teams, I tell them, guys, it doesn't matter why it's second and fifteen, it just is. Stop arguing about it. What we have in common is time is ticking. What are you going to do about it? Do it now? So it's just a simplicity. Don't don't talk yourself into a butt kick, and don't over complicate life. It'll get hard enough on his own. Just master the basics.
Speaker 1: So you're basically a young man when all this is going on, you're in your early twenties.
Speaker 3: Correct, well that when I was in my early thirties, cause I was. It took I mean, you know, if people talk about getting into bin Laden's room and shooting him and all that stuff, it's not like I was flown there out of high school. Like it took me personally fifteen and a half years to get to that spot of training and sweat and blood and selection courses all the stuff and getting with the final and I'll be an honored to be pick on the pick to be on the finest team I think ever assembled. But we were ready for it at that point, when I mean when they told us the first time they told us what it was, they said, the reason you guys are here is as close as we've ever been to Osama bin Laden. And there was no cheering. You know, we're professionals. We all just said, cool, we're going now, we're.
Speaker 1: Ready, Yeah, and okay, so help me through it. Because there were two black Hawk helicopters, one of which, as you mentioned, clipped I think one of the compound walls and kind of went down sideways.
Speaker 2: Were you on that chopper or the other one?
Speaker 3: No, I was on the other one, and I didn't even know it crashed until I got into bin Laden's house. And what had actually happened was it was a little bit warmer than we anticipated, a few degrees celsius. And the walls were different to the mud walls we were training on chain link fences, so there was a weird updraft and you'd have to ask a pilot because I'm not smart enough to be a pilot. But the pilot decided he couldn't hug and if he said a more inexperienced pilot would have tried to power it up. That would have rolled and killed everybody. But the pilot, in the blink of it, I decided if he turned it and put the tail on the wall, he could pin the nose of the helicopter in the dirt and it might save everyone's life, which it did. But that pilot is a hero. Oh and he just decided it to put it down on the ground and then that it is what it isn't. The guys immediately got out and started fighting, and like I said, I didn't even know it crashed itself because they put us off on the wrong spot because our pilot realized if they can't however, we can't. However, I was supposed to go to the rooftop of Binlam's house with my team, but he just put us off outside the twenty foot walls and we had to figure out a way to get in. But again we were just very experienced at what we can do, and we we did figure it out eventually. But even the sniper that we dropped off on my helicopter, his job was to run around the entire compound with the dog outside the walls, and he got to the point where the tail the helicopter with the pilot pin and he could see it on the X here. He came over the radio and said, guys inside beyond alert. There death definitely ready for us. They have a training mockup of our super secret helicopter in their front yard. And there was a pause and the ground force commander came over the radio and goes, no, jackass, that's ours. We crashed and the sniper did a good thing. And he literally came over the radio and said, yeah, that makes a lot more sense than what I was just saying, Harry hung.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't what I don't under My next trip on a black Hawk will be my first. Don't those things make noise? How big was this compound? If this isn't Pakistan, right, so how big is this compound? And why wouldn't you inside them?
Speaker 3: Well, they probably hurt them. They were a little quieter. They these were The President of the United States didn't know about these helicopters until a few months prior to this. These were super secret. These were self. Man, this is stuff they tell me I shouldn't talk about, But again I don't know much about it. The technology I know they were a little quieter and the radar couldn't see them, and uh, you know, training with them, it's like, well, I'm glad the Aliens who and vented these are on our side because this is ridiculous. But they were just really, really, really good helicopters. But again, because the Pakistani intelligence was hiding bid Laden there, he must have assumed it was just Pakistani forces coming to get him or bring him out and put him somewhere else, because I mean, they put up a little bit of a fight and I'd be amazed there were no bombs in every room to blow us all up, and there wasn't a bigger Like people ask me, why wasn't there more al Kaina fighters there? I'm like, well, I don't know. I Mean, all I can tell you is we didn't call ahead and say we were coming out, but they weren't ready. I mean, not that would have matter, because we crushed these guys, but but they you know, they had a little bit of defense. But we, you know, we were very prepared, very professional. We all, I mean every guy on that mission had at least four hundred real war missions under their belt, so it was a I mean, we sent in the right guys. Don't get me wrong. I didn't want twenty more fighters there, but we handled the ones we ran into, and it was we turned something potentially catastrophic into something great just because of our preparation to get they're not our perfect plan, which the perfect plan didn't last for three seconds, which is normal in life, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I mean, and you mentioned the combat missions. You were a veteran of of hundreds of combat missions. Yeah, decorated, as I mentioned, leading into the two Silver stars, four Bronze Stars, various Navy and Marine Corps accommodation medals, and so I mean you were highly decorated. But as you know, well know, you go into any mission, there is the likelihood that you're not coming back from that mission. So it really didn't matter, I guess to you whether it was going after Osama bin Laden or a regular Tuesday when you're out on patrol, there's a good chance that you weren't coming back.
Speaker 2: How did you handle that uncertainty?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, the thing is, too is a bullet only needs to be right once, and if you get hit, it could end everything that's important, to everything that you think matters. You can end if you gets shot, it could just be over. And this one in particular, you know, we had a ninety minute flight in on helicopters that we didn't know if they worked, and we could get shot down, and this house should blow up and there's going to be a gunfight. We're not going to have enough fuel. This could go a number of different ways. It's a one way mission. We accepted that, but we talked about it. So you know, if I had a guy even say don't before he went, he said, don't take this the wrong way, because I'm going one hundred percent going. I just need to say it out loud. If we know we're going to die tonight, why are we going? Which is fair? And we had that conversation and we decided we're not going for the fame. We're obviously not getting the reward, but we're going after Bin Laden tonight for the first Americans that were forced to fight out KaiA toe to Toda to the death, and those are the passengers on United flight ninety three. You know, we're going after Bin Laden tonight for the single mom who dropped your kids off at elementary school on a beautiful Tuesday morning and then an hour later she jumped to her death out of a skyscraper because that's a better alternative right now than whatever's going on inside, and then we'll never know. You know, she was never supposed to do that. Those passengers weren't supposed to fight. We are supposed to fight, and that is why we're going.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you get inside the compound and you make your way to the compound, tell me about getting inside the actual building where ben Laden is. I mean, I'm sure the door wasn't open, and they had a butler that said, yes, he's upstairs.
Speaker 2: How do you get us to that part?
Speaker 3: I saw a funny a funny meme that had a thing from Midlin's ring camera that said, oh, someone's here, brb some kids. They know. My first team from the crash helicopter had already gotten in. There had already been a gunfight. One of my guys had shot two Terrors through the Exterrior windows before he was in, and they must have kicked the door, hit it with a sledgeham or something, but it was already open and they were already clearing it by the time I got in. So I was on the first floor watching my guys, and I kind of just went into a side room. That's where one of the other dudes told me their helicopter crashed, and I was just impressed that, because I'm looking for bombs now this place should blow up. He's gonna martyr everyone. But I was looking at my guys who were working ahead of me, because I'm in the position I have the best seat on the most important, modern and most important mission modern history. So I'm watching my guys and I was just proud of them because they know damn well they can blow up at any moment, but that's not stopping them. They're not afraid, and they're not speeding up. They're they're using our tactics. And the way the best way to describe our tactics are slow as smooth and smooth as fast. So if you want to be fast, slow down, you know. And I'm watching him do it. And the woman who found bin Laden, the CIA agent who was depicted in zero Doart thirty, said that I don't know what it looks like inside, but there will be stairwells, and the first one you will run into Khalid bin Laden, and that's his twenty year old son. He will be armed, and she said so here's how cool she was. He said, if you can ace him, you get a shot at the big guy. That was cool, and we ran into him. The guys in front of me took carry him, so we went up to the second floor. He's dead on the stairs, and then I was about eight guys back in line. Everyone except the first guy started going left and right to clear the unknowns, the different rooms, stuff like that. So it's down to two of us going from the second floor to the third floor, and that's where we know bin Laden is. So there's one guy in front of me and he's pointing his gun up the stairs and these stairs lead to a curtain like a door, but it was just a curtain, and he could see people moving back and forth. So it's down to me. My job is to control his shoulder so that when we have and look for other guys that we're going to bring. His job is to look forward so he doesn't need to look at me. But once I squeeze, it's time to go. And he just started saying, hey, we gotta go, we gotta get up, we gotta go. Come on now, because he's thinking those are suicide bombers. But we can beat him. If we go right now, we can't hesitate. And I remember looking at him and literally he was brave. I wasn't. I'm thinking, okay, but line's up there and I'm gonna blow up, but I'm just tired of thinking about it. It wasn't bravery at all. It's like, let's just go. So I squeezed him and he went up, and he went to that curtain and he moved it and he sort of tackled these two people that he assumed were suicide bombers, like he didn't know he thought they were. So he jumped on a grenade that didn't go off, which how he doesn't have a medal of honor is beyond me. But because he went left, I went right because of our tactics. And right in front of me, three feet away, standing on two feet was the Sawma Bin Lunn and his wife Lamal was in front of her him and he had his arms on her shoulders, and I remember thinking, I was I didn't think he would be as skinny as he was. He was taller than I saw it, and his beard was sort of gray. But that's his nose, that's him. He's not surrendering. I've seen that picture a thousand times. He's a suicide bomber. I got to take him out, and the way you deal with the suicide bombers to shoot him in the face. So I did twice at about three feet away, and then he fell down. I shot him one more time, and then because his wife is in front of me and we're the good guys, now it's time to move her out of the way because other seals will be coming in. I don't want it to be a crossfire. And that's when I looked down and saw his two year old son. And this is the humanity of stuff like this. I'm a father and I'm looking at his two year old son, and my first thought was, this kid has nothing to do with this. He should not have seen this. So I'm moving them out of the way, and I tune around. I can hear bin Laden exhaling. I can. I mean, it's an ugly side. I can see what it looks like. I gets shot in the head three times at close range, and I'm kind of looking at him, and one of my friends comes up to me. He kind of gets controlling me and says, hey, are you good? And I said I am, But what do we do now. And he laughed and he said, now we find the computers. Bro, we do this every night, hundreds of times.
Speaker 2: You've done this.
Speaker 3: Come on And I said, you're right, I'm back. Oh my god. And his words to me were, yeah, you just killed Osama bin Laden and your life just changed. Now get to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so at that point, you get the body out. They don't want him to become a martyr, they don't want to leave him behind. You got to get the body out. You got to throw the body on the helicopter and get back to base or I guess to the aircraft carrier, right, because that's where it was a thing at sea.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, we had to call another helicopter in because we have to blow the one that crash up. So we have to call and and no one realizes this too, is that that's more Army pilots, another Army helicopter, and more Navy heels. So the heroes on that mission, the Army and Seal Team six actually rescued Seal Team six on the bin Laden raid. No one ever talks about that. I'm amazed. But so that's the one we got to get out on. So we turned the body to our The first team that crash gave them our initial helicopter. This one came in to get us. And then we're leaving. And this is the coolest part of the mission because we just we got his body. Now we're leiaeving. The Pakistani's no, we're here, and they're definitely going to try to shoot us down with a jet that we sold them, and a jet against the helicopter is a bad fight. But if we can live for ninety minutes, we get fifty years. I get to see my kids again. But worrying about a missile shooting me down is It're gonna stop it, So I'm not gonna worry about it. So I just started my Stopwatch and I'm waiting for ninety minutes. If I get ninety minutes across that border, across the border into Afghanistan, we live. And I look down at my watch, It's like I spent ten minutes. I spent twenty minutes. The sniper sitting next to me is the guy who rescued Richard Phillips from Smallly Pirates. Like, this is how small this team is. I looked thirty minutes. Now it's been forty fifty minutes. Now it's been fifty minutes. Got to get to ninety seventy minutes. Then I start thinking, you just mentioned baseball. I started thinking about a baseball game, top of the seventh watching a no hitter, like I don't want to jinx this, I don't want to say anything. But it's been eighty minutes. Got to get to ninety. Then. I love sports analogies because it doesn't matter how you got some even a pro golfer, you had a team with you, right, So I love sports analogies. I started thinking about the greatest sporting event in American history in nineteen eighty Lake Placid, when Team USA Hockey was playing the greatest hockey team ever played, assembled the Russians, the professional Russian team we've never lost since the fifties or something like that. And you have this group of college kids have no business being on the ice, but now they're winning. And it's three to four in the third period. You hear the crowd ten nine, still nervous, you know, six five, And then the pilot came over the radio. This is going through my head. Then the pilot comes over the radio at eighty five minutes into a ninety minute flight, and he said, very calmly, all right, gentlemen, for the first time in your lives, you're gonna be happy to hear this. Welcome to Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, wow yep.
Speaker 3: So we fly him down, We bring him to Jalalabad to show Admiral mccraven, who was running the mission, greatest officer I've ever worked for. And then we showed it to the showed the body to the woman who found him, and she was she that was the only thing she did in life was find him. That's it. She gave up her life, no husband, no kids, seven days a week for years to find him. And we walked her over to his body, and I thought it would have been cool enough. This could have ended it. I pointed to his body and I said to her, is that your guy? And she looked at for second, patted me on the back. He goes, well, I guess I'm out of an expletive job, and she just left. That was so cool. And then we flew him up to Bagram. We had we had to show the agency it was here. And then a professional photographer and a professional scientist doing DNA confirmed and I'm standing above, I'm standing at the fet of bin Lad. He's laying right here. I hear President Obama. He's on TV. We're watching this. I'm eating a breakfast sandwich, and he says, tonight I can report to the American people into the world the United States conducted an operation to kill Osama bin Laan, the leader of al Qaeda. I hear the President say Osama bin Laden. I look at Osama bin Laden eating a breakfast sandwich, and I thought, how in the world did I get here from Butte Montana. And then we turned him over to the army. They flew him out to the carrier. I didn't see him get dumped in the water. That's the story we got. And we literally flew from there to Virginia Beach and we were home sixteen hours later.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Rob O'Neill. Robert O'Neill is our guest. His book is a New or Times bestseller, The Operator Firing the Shots that killed Oselma Bin Laden and My years as a Navy Seal Team Warrior. Your life is a man changed, as you mentioned immediately after you put three into ben Laden.
Speaker 2: You're a marked man.
Speaker 1: Obviously, there are people that want to see you personally dead.
Speaker 2: Because of that.
Speaker 1: So tell me about your life today, precautions you have to take or are you the kind of guy that says, listen, I'm just going to live my life. I did what I needed to do and I'm not going to let anybody bother me.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, precautions should be there and everybody should be prepared for anything. And that's just have my role right now. I mean, I don't discuss the security I have in place. I have a lot in place. I know how to handle myself, so I'm not you know, I can take care of myself and my family, So I'm It's one of those things you don't want to get complacent just because these people don't only need to be right once. But yeah, I'm a target, but so is every other American and it would be a lot easier if they can get weapons into this country, which they have, by the way, over an open border for the past four years. Day would much rather go to Times Square and kill a bunch of people that just try to find me because I'm a hard target. But a lot of people out there have their head in the sand and don't realize that just because you're not at war with someone doesn't mean they're not at war with you. So I mean, yeah, I mean, but I see, I was forced at a young age to get completely immersed in what I call reality, and there's not a lot of that going on, especially in this country with the political landscape. So I mean, I live my life but on that too though, you know a lot of political fighting that's only on the internet when you get outside, even in other countries. Because my favorite saying is it's a large planet, but it's a small world. Believe it or not. Most people are actually really good. Most people just want to including in combat zones. They just want to get on with their lives and raise their kids like the rest of us. So I mean, you know, don't get complacent, but there are threats. But for the majority of my life that most you know, people are just great. If you're angry at social media, put your phone down and go outside and talk to people. Go to a deli, get a sandwich, go get some chile at highlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. People live your life. Understand that. You know, you could either live your life in fear or you can live your life the way we were meant to live our lives. But that doesn't mean, you have to be stupid about it when you live it, I think. Is what you're saying. You're forty eight years old. Forty eight years old now, right, what are you doing now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Besides talking about.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the best part of my life right now, we're having a bless Yeah. I host a podcast to the same name, called The Operator, and I just I'm not calling myself an operator. I'm giving you my description of my life is an operator, and I want to hear your life is an operator and being an operator. If you're doing anything to help your family, or your community, or your church or your schools, you're an operator. So I like to hear from people. So I do that. And my book The Operator, it'saw on my website and I sign a lot for people because we have fun with it. Like I don't use an auto pen, then I don't use platelests. I take whatever you want signed in the book is there's an inscription part and I have put what people want. It's just fun because people like it's just awesome. It's not always a military theme or motivation. I got one the other day. It's my favorite. Some dude bought my book for his buddy as a birthday present, and he had me signed Dear Jeff, you kill it selling mattresses like I killed the Loud. We have fun with so we have fun with that.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Hey, Rob O'Neil, this has been a trip man. I would tell you, but we can do anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I believe me.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm gonna hang out to your number and and next time I'll play the Bengals theme song for you, just to uh, you know, just to get your back in the mood for everything.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: Oh, I can you played? You played the Bengal Girl anytime you have to fire up yet? I love that song, Rob O'Neil, about about time for a Super Bowl win. I'm just hey, tell.
Speaker 1: You you're telling us, you're telling us stay well and uh we'll we'll visit down the road.
Speaker 3: Thank you outstand. Thanks for having me have a gret day.
Speaker 2: You bet.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you've done in life. That's what he's done. One twenty nine News Radio seven hundred w WELW