Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like the back damn cakes.
Speaker 2: Let the postseason begin.
Speaker 3: Hi, everybody, and welcome in to Dodger Talk here on M five seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks for being with us on this Sunday afternoon. The season has come and gone. One hundred and sixty two regular season games are now in the books. The Dodgers finish with the best record in baseball ninety eight and sixty four. They win the NL West for the eleven time in twelve years. And now the Dodgers get less than a week to get ready for the start of playoff baseball, which begins on Saturday out at Dodger Stadium for Game one of the NLDS. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy eight eight six six ninety eight seven to two five seventy is our number. We can talk about today's game, what you heard, what you saw, the Dodgers coming back and beating the Rockies two to one. But I really want to get into this Dodgers postseason team and what you think about them going into the NLDS. We mentioned into the Clubhouse show. Right now, we still don't know who the Dodgers will play come the NLDS because two of the three wildcard spots have still not been solidified. It's going to take tomorrow to find out who is going to go to the postseason between the Mets, the Diamondbacks and and the Atlanta Braves. Why you asked, well, two games last week got canceled and have to be made up now today there was some question whether or not they were actually going to play them at of necessity, but because of the way things shook out today with the Braves, the Mets, and the Diamondbacks three teams fighting for two wildcard spots. In fact, the Mets have to go to Atlanta and play a double hitder tomorrow against the Atlanta Braves. Now that helps the San Diego Padres, who are waiting to see who the winner of that series potentially is, because they would then figure it to throw one of their best starters tomorrow. The Atlanta Braves, Chris sale It was expected to pitch in one of those two games, So that takes him out of pitching possibly in the wild Card series. That's a good thing if you're gonna play the Atlanta Braves, but you gotta fight just to get to the postseason. You can't worry about saving Chris Sale tomorrow. If you're the lot of Braves, you gotta get them out there and pitch in these two games they play tomorrow, and they're gonna play a double hitter. And it's a little confusing, but here we'll walk you through it real quick. The Diamondbacks won today, and now they need the Braves or the Mets tomorrow to win both of the games of the double hitter. If the Mets and the Braves split the double hitter, those two teams are in and the Diamondbacks are done.
Speaker 2: They won't make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: So the Dodgers wat to now wait and see who wins tomorrow's doubleheader and then the wild Card round. But if you're the Diamondbacks, you're hoping the Mets or the Braves tomorrow win both games because then you're in. If not, they split, the Atlanta Braves win one and the New York Mets win one of the double header tomorrow in Atlanta, those two teams are going in now. I'm just kind of saying, how it is you got to wonder after the first game or they looking at each other saying, hey, we want you again.
Speaker 2: No, no, that stuff doesn't happen. That stuff doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: But if you're the Diamondbacks, have you kind of made this whole mess by the way you play? You played in the month of September. Now, seriously, they stayed alive today with an eleven to two win over the Padres pud.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Met, can you imagine being the Diamondbacks right now having to wait for a double header tomorrow and sit around and wonder if you're gonna get in after the first game, and then the second game you're rooting for that team to win again so you can get in. Man, that's that's uncomfortable to have your fate determined by not only one team, but two teams playing tomorrow in a double header. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Jump on board. Let's talk some Dodgers baseball, and let's get ready for the postseason. Let's get ready for the NLDS because there's still a lot of questions going in to this divisional series. We got to get through the wildcard round to see who the Dodgers are gonna face, but certainly a lot of questions on the Dodgers end. And I think the biggest question right is the health of Freddy Freeman and that right ankle.
Speaker 2: He didn't make the trip to Denver.
Speaker 3: That is good. He's been getting treatment around the clock, that is good. He injured it on Thursday night. You don't play until this Saturday, so you've got a long period to get that ankle right and get ready for Game one of the NLDS. They don't have to play in the wildcard round, so he's got Allday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and hopefully all day Saturday. So really nine days to rest that ankle, get it healed, get the swelling down, and hopefully be ready for the NLDS. I would imagine a seventy percent or seventy five percent Freddie Freeman is going to play. But if he doesn't play in the first game or second game of the NLDS, Dave Roberts has already hinted that he's going to have Max Munsey move from third to first.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: This weekend in the Mile High City of Denver, we saw Keiky Hernandez playing first base, and I thought, like a lot of people did, well, that's what they're going to do in the postseason, because he's getting ready, he's getting reps, he's getting three games under eighth this belt playing against the Rockies at first base. Now, Dave Roberts said it's gonna be Max Munsey. They're gonna flip over to first. Well, here's Max Munsey talking to David Vas saying an exclusive little one on one talking about possibly moving from third to first for the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Here it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, obviously we're hoping Freddy's gonna be fine. And if anyone knows Freddy, he's going to play through a lot of pain if he has to. We're hoping that there's that's not the case, that he doesn't have to play through a ton of pain.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we've had a couple of.
Speaker 4: Small discussions about it, and you know, the team knows that I'll play anywhere need me to play. You know, if I have to go back to first space, that's kind of second nature to me. You know, we'll get we'll get some work in there this week and then you know, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dave said that you may work out it first space.
Speaker 4: Is that still the plan, just to be ready in case. Yeah, we haven't finalized anything, but yeah, I mean I would imagine I'll I'll get some work over there just to you know, just to make sure that I'm fresh over there and remember how to do things, remember how to catch a ball.
Speaker 6: People think first base is like the easiest position, but there's a lot more that goes to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is. There's a lot of footwork that's involved with it.
Speaker 4: There's just a lot of understanding certain things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes one of the things you see when guys from other positions go over to first space for the first time is they go after a lot of balls that they don't need to go after. And so that's just understanding, you know, just kind of understanding your positioning and that your job at first space isn't necessarily to feel the ball, it's more so to catch the ball.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 3: There's Max Munsey a little exclusive with David Vass talking about possibly possibly playing first base.
Speaker 2: Come the NLDS now again. Today is Sunday.
Speaker 3: They don't play game one of the NLDS until next Saturday, so he's already had a few days to get healthy. Freddie Freeman, I guarantee he's getting round the clock treatment on that swelling stem treatment as well. I'm assuming, and they will get him right. And it's close to one hundred percent, if not, wherever they can get him to at percentage wise for this NLDS eight sixty six, ninet eighty seven, two five seventy is a number. Le's go out to the phones, all right, Dodger fans. One hundred and sixty two games are over. Dodgers win the West, they have the best record in baseball. Here comes the postseason. How we feeling? What do you think about this roster? If there's a couple of moves you need to make and you'd like to see on this roster going forward. Now we got time to start nitpicking and kind of placing who will be on this twenty six man postseason roster, at least for the NLDS because it can switch from series to series.
Speaker 2: But you got to carry.
Speaker 3: Thirteen position players and thirteen pitchers. So we'll see what the Dodgers do.
Speaker 2: Let's go to George and Baldwin Park.
Speaker 3: Start us off here on postgame Dodger talk on this beautilest.
Speaker 8: I just thinking that this game was close. It's just the two runs. I mean, I mean a Tani's stealing bases and helping helping the other guy steal bases or something, and I expected to be an easy win.
Speaker 3: Honestly, Well, George, I appreciate it. And you know, this is game one sixty two. There's nothing to play for. Certainly showing how Tani individually, he was having some fun there, telling Austin Barnes and the eighth anding, hey, let's steal double steal, and kind of motion into that with his hands and his face gestures, and they pulled off a double steal. And he wanted to get another stolen base, and he did. He got to fifty nine. But this is a game. Put yourself in this situation. They're in Denver, they got nothing to play for. They want to get home as quick as possible. It's the final day of the seasons. It's not like they're going to go, you know, on vacation. They're coming back home. They want to rest and they got a couple of days off that Dave Roberts has already made known they're going to have away from workouts. These guys want to get out of there. It's not like they were all first pitch swinging. The Dodgers were still competing out there. Ryan felt their pitch well, you know, Blendon Neck only made one mistake. It was a one nothing game. It's not like the Rockies blew them out ten to two. It was a close game. Hey, the Rockies are out there fighting. It was an emotional day for Charlie Blackman, playing in his last game. Got the base hit and then came off the field tip of the cap, very movie esque like. So it was a very cool GI gesture to see that as well. But yeah, the Dodgers were out there, not just going through the motions. They were out there competing guys like Chris Taylor. They got a lot to fight for. And that's why I bring up the postseason roster. You know who's going to be on that twenty six man roster. There's no guarantees for an Andy Pajas or is there. There's no guarantees for a Chris Taylor or is there? You can kind of figure out and slot out who's going to be in there? But come the bullpen, who's going to be in there? Is Clayton Kershaw going to be ready? We're still six days away from Game one of the NLDS. Is Clayton Kershaw going to be healthy for the NLDS? What about Tony Gonsolin? Does his arm but maybe the unknown of what he can do with that arm because he hasn't pitched this year except for minor league rehab games. Give him a spot on this roster in the NLDS because he's Tony Gonsolin.
Speaker 2: He could be better.
Speaker 3: Than what you have in any other young middle reliever or a guy like not a land in Neck, but somebody else who would pitch out the bullpen on extended innings.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot to be decided for in the few roster spots that they have that the Dodger front office and coaching staff during these workouts see how guys feel. Certainly the health to Clayton Kershaw. We're gonna learn a lot in these next couple of days and by the time I believe we get to Friday and the workout at Dodger Stadium officially with both teams whoever the Dodgers are playing in the NLDS. I think we'll have a pretty good idea of what the roster is gonna look like, but certainly there's a lot of time for adjustments to be made between now and then. It's certainly Freddie Freeman's health is at the top of that list. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. We'll hear from Chris Taylor coming up in just a little bit. Rayfel Lapointe is next up here on Dodger Talk on a five seventy l A Sports.
Speaker 2: Hi, Ray, how are you. I'm good? Are you doing doing good? Doing good?
Speaker 7: Okay. I want to tell me about about the guys on the roster. I think the teaking at the right time. I mean, look at naming the ball good. You know all three ship as you getting hit, King is hitting the ball now. I mean, those are three guys you mentioned and it all hits the ball now coming through. So I mean to me, that's the ticket at the right time. We can need those guys that he's not around, and we got this a swift year round, but I just taking at the right time can goad to other years. I's ready to go, well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. I don't kept goal, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I don't think that whether or not he's healthy to go for game one, Freddy Freeman's kept off this NLDS roster because it could go five games. Certainly it's the best three out of five, and you would think that every day that goes by he would get healthy, right it, he'd be good to go. As further and further away he gets from the initial injury to the sprained ankle, we could see him out there.
Speaker 2: Will we see him game one?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I don't think they're gonna leave him off the roster because you can't make a move after that until the next round. So that being said, you know there's one or two spots position players, especially the bullpen, as far as arms and who the Dodgers are gonna use. Anthony Bonda, you can tell rush back to get back to help out this Dodgers team. But will we see the addition of a Tony Gonsolin to maybe take the spot of a Daniel Hudson.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're gonna do as far as the back end of this bullpen come the postseason, because remember, they're gonna need arms, okay, because they don't have the horses like you thought they would go into the postseason. You got Jack Flaherty, Yoshinoba Yamamoto who just went five innings yesterday for the first time since June. Walker Bueller, Hey, which Walker Bully are you gonna get? You gonna, you know, get the Walker Bueller who pitched really good in his last start, or you're gonna get the Walker Bueller who had struggled to find his command early in the season. Landon neck Landon next pushed pretty well for the Dodgers. But he's going into his first time in October. A young man, you're asking to do a lot. So what are his nerves gonna be?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: What's he going to be out there on the mound for the Dodgers in the NLDS.
Speaker 3: So with that being said, I think you got a lot of question marks that again, we have time now to figure out what they're gonna do come to postseason in the NLDS roster. Certainly it has to be in by Saturday morning. But between then and now, we've got a lot of workouts to happen, and certainly treatment on Freddie Freeman and Miguel Rojas and his adductor muscle. Barry and Bakersfield is next up on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Hi, Barry, Yeah, So I just.
Speaker 9: Wanted to show some lists to the Dodgers man. I wanted to say what a great season we had. I'm glad that the team played some adversity at the end that you know, it gets as ready for the postseason. I am a little worried about our starting motation, but I do believe that our bat should be enough to carry us through. And I just want to give some looks to you team today, to the whole Dodger Talk team for just always keeping us on point and talking us off to Nay sometimes.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 2: All right, Barry, I appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the nice words.
Speaker 3: Colin E. We're gonna throw in there as well, the Dwayne McDonald. It's a whole crew to put this show together, and we appreciate you listening. We appreciate it by downloads and podcasts the show as well. It is going to be an exciting postseason. No doubt for this Dodgers team as they move forward, and again, this is a much needed break. The last few years, the Dodgers going into the postseason won the division midway through September. And now you've got a Dodgers team that had to fight until the last week of the season and need to get healthy now more so than they ever have been.
Speaker 2: They need to get arms rested. That's another thing to think about.
Speaker 3: Phillips trying and Hudson Copek, Brasier Vesia, Joe Kelly, Anthony Bonda. These guys have been up and down as far as the injured list all year long. They need a little break here. They need some time to get right and to not be out there every day or every two out of three days like they have been the last five months.
Speaker 2: This this Dodger bullpen is gassed.
Speaker 3: They've pitched a lot of Indians more so than starters here in the month of September.
Speaker 2: They need a break.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our telephone number. Let's take break, we'll come back, We'll get to your phone calls, and we'll hear from CT three before we wrap things up. Dodgers get the win in Colorado. They beat the Rockies two to one on the final day of the regular season. They come back with two runs in the eighth inning, Chris Taylor a home run, Austin Barnes scored on a bock to give the Dodgers a two to one victory. They're ninety eighth of the win, best record in baseball. And here we come postseason. It begins on Saturday. When we come back again, your phone calls, we'll hear from CT three and a very special announcement for some Dodger program to come into MFI seventy LA Sports. That's next right here on MFI seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio up.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time, and you can hear past episodes.
Speaker 2: Of Dodger Talk all of those things.
Speaker 1: Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We're streaming online. We stream every game too.
Speaker 1: Come find it back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy. Lads, and Toby was just like running forever, Das wins hits a ball teap to right.
Speaker 6: This ball heading back, This ball is god.
Speaker 1: It's a hot run for.
Speaker 2: Taylor and he ties the game.
Speaker 6: In the eighth inning, a lead off, opposite field solo shot for Chris Taylor. Hey, the Dodgers in business and on the board. It is one to one.
Speaker 3: Chris Taylor is starting to heat up for the Dodgers, just in.
Speaker 2: Time for the postseason.
Speaker 3: He hits a home run today, his fourth of this season, RBI number twenty three, as the Dodgers come back and beat the Rockies two to one. Daniels Jewelers, the official sponsor of the Trip Around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniels Jewler's location and say home run for a free team bracelet and a fifty dollars gift card towards any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers owned the dream. Chris Taylor Today homers yesterday in the second game.
Speaker 2: Of this series. He goes three for three with an RBI.
Speaker 3: Friday Night in the series opener, two more hits, including a double in an RBI. Maybe he's starting to turn things around. He got a couple of starts and not a start, but he got it. Came off the bench twice in the series against San Diego. Before that in Miami, had to hit the final game against the Marlins.
Speaker 2: This is a young man, Chris Taylor, and I say young man who.
Speaker 3: Was nine for ninety to start the season and had trouble certainly took his lumps here on Dodger Talk from Dodger Fans, was placed on the injury list, but now he's having himself in good September. Just in time, right, just in time. It doesn't matter what you do in April and May. It's what you're doing in September as you going to the postseason. Right now, the Dodgers have to feel good about the way he's swinging the bat and will be an added bonus for the Dodgers bench in the NLDS eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. Let's keep things moving. Surge and Azusa is next up here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: High Surge. IM, I'm doing great.
Speaker 5: Hey man. You knocked it out of the park this year. Bro, you did amazing. I consider you the Ross Porter and Jerry Doggett combo with you and Bess, So first off, good job, awesome, and I just want to tell you that the Dodgers have to play little ball. You know, those three hitters on the front, they're gonna do what.
Speaker 11: They're gonna do. They're gonna try to pitch around them. They're gonna throw them crappy pitches. But if those guys at the bottom of the lineup do the right things, the little ball, the little things, hit those runners over, avoid.
Speaker 5: Double plays, don't strike out, don't pop up, they are going to succeed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: We saw that over the course of the season, Serge, and thank you so much for the nice comments.
Speaker 2: It's very nice to you.
Speaker 3: Much appreciated, and I hope you check it again here during the postseason.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your call. Yeah, we saw it during the season.
Speaker 3: When the Dodgers get just production from the big three or the big four, it's good, but you do need a roster and a lineup every day to help out. You got to have the guys hitting six, seven, eight, nine to produce as well, and to flip that line up over and get it back to Atani Betts and Freddie Freeman, Max Munsey, Tommy Edmond. You need these guys at the bottom of the lineup to produce and not necessarily always getting hits and home runs right.
Speaker 2: It could be walks, it could be moving a guy over.
Speaker 3: If a key k Hernandez starts off the inning and Chris Taylor comes up as a seven hitter in the postseason, you're not asking Chris Taylor to hit a home run. Move the guy over, get it to the eighth hitter. Let's see what he can do. Put the ball and play, maybe finds a gap, Give it to the nine hitter, and then you turn the roster or the line of pack over to Sho Heyo Tani. That's how you can contribute. So again, it's not necessarily oh wow, he went two for four, he went three for four. Wow, he hit a home run, he drove in three. That's great. Those are numbers and obviously showing production, but you know, productive outs are are also really good for the Dodgers bottom half of the lineup. So the game changes in the postseason. That's what I'm excited to see, and quit to be quite honest, I'm a little nervous to see. And I know a lot of Dodger fans, certainly people I talk to and friends that you know, well, the Dodgers continue to play the.
Speaker 2: Way they do in the regular season.
Speaker 3: We've seen in the postseason when games shrink, you know, pitching becomes better, games tighten up, and you know it's one run game or a two to one game, and you know autre at a premium and you got to make sure you take the most care of those outs and don't waste them. How are the Dodgers going to come through here in October? The last couple of offseasons, all we've talked about was wow, swinging for the offenses. Continue to play slug, can't move guys over, We don't steal bases. That's changed during the regular season. Here you got to show Heyo Tani who darnear had sixty stolen bases.
Speaker 2: This is a team that puts the runners in motion. Now.
Speaker 3: This is a Dodgers team now that is not just all about slug and hitting home runs. Look at the bats that Mookie Becks has had the last couple of days. Look what Chris Taylor did today. Sure he hit a home run, but hitting the ball around the field. It's not just a slug team anymore. And I hope once we get to October, beginning next Saturday, with the NLDS that continues that way, and I hope I believe it will.
Speaker 2: I think they've learned from the last two october.
Speaker 3: At least I hope they have as far as the style of play that you need to be successful to win games in series and to move on to the Championship Series and then ultimately the World Series.
Speaker 2: Big news for you, programming wise.
Speaker 3: It's back, Yes, sax and Kate to the Morning Scam. He'll be back on Friday this Friday, October fourth, from six to nine AM. Will be taking the place of Dan Patrick beginning this Friday, and as long as the Dodger run through the postseason goes, and quite frankly, I hope that's until the end of the month through Halloween, because that means the Dodgers will get into the World Series. That would be fantastic and hopefully that is the case the last two Octobers, it's been too short of runs for scam with Steve Saxon myself will begin on Friday at six am. Will be live and local beginning every morning at six until nine, leading to Colin Cowhard, Regan and Ronnie Petro some money.
Speaker 2: Beginning Friday at six am.
Speaker 3: Myself and Steve Sachs talking Dodgers baseball, most importantly, talking Dodgers baseball with you Dodger fans leading into Game one of the NLDS.
Speaker 2: It'll be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: If you haven't listened before we go local, we talk Dodgers, We react to the games that are happening that night, and the next morning you get to wake up, win or lose, and react to what you saw and heard in the game the night before. It's a lot of fun when the postseason starts. It started back in twenty seventeen when the Dodgers beat the Chicago Cubs in the NLCS and advanced to the World Series. We started Saxon Kates to the AM and it's been going on every October since and again, the last two Octobers, quite frankly, have been too short for it, and we got to make sure it is long in October and has a long, healthy run for Saxon Kates in the AAM because that means the Dodgers are winning and moving on in the postseason. Remember it's eleven wins NLDS, NLCS and the World Series for the Dodgers. That's what you need. Three wins in the nlds four wins in the National League Championship Series and then four wins in the World Series. It's the race to eleven beginning on Saturday night for the Dodgers out at Dodgers' Name. It's gonna be a lot of fun once starts, and again I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Sax and Kate's in the AA.
Speaker 3: I'm beginning on Friday, six am to nine am.
Speaker 2: Chris Taylor.
Speaker 3: We mentioned what he did today at the plate with the home run drove in the run to tie the game. He's gotten his average over two hundred, and I know it doesn't look great. It's not what Chris Taylor's been known to do the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: But the second half.
Speaker 3: Of the season and now in the month of September, you cannot argue that Chris Taylor is now playing his best baseball here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Let's hear from Chris Taylor just a little bit ago with the media.
Speaker 10: Chris, just considering what the start of this year looked like. How just important was it for you to end on a high out?
Speaker 12: Very important? You know, I think you know my year is what it is. You know, I've accepted that a while ago, and for me and my goal has kind of just been, you know, helping this team anyway I can, and you know, trying to get ready for the postseason and try to get right for when you know, I'm kind of hanging my hat on, you know, being ready and helping this team in a World Series.
Speaker 10: Yeah, obviously putting a lot of hard work to get to this point. Do you leave that just kind of based off the results? You think your swing is kind of where you want it to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 11: Really.
Speaker 12: Ever since I got off the IL, it's felt more consistent. And obviously there's still like days where it's not great, but that's like that's baseball, right, And you know, overall, I feel like I'm in a much better place and have a consistent routine every day, and my approach has been much better.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Chris Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's had a better approach and better results here in September. All right, that's gonna do it for postgame Dodger Talk Mini thanks to Colin y all season long. We got the postseason coming up on Saturday. Many thanks to you Dodger fans for being a part of the show. Podcasting the show as well. We could not do it without you. It has been a fun one hundred and sixty two game season, Dodger's best record in baseball ninety eight wins. They win today in Denver two to one over the Rockies. Finish off this week in Denver, and now we get ready for the NLDS. Keep it right here on a five to seventy LA Sports Game one on Saturday. We got Scam, Sax and Kats and the Am beginning on Friday. Again, thank you so much for being a part of the show. It is Dodger Talk with us and you, and we love it after every single game. We'll be back during the week with off night Dodger Talking as well. Until then, have a great save rest of your Sunday afternoon. Let the playoffs begin, baby, second
Speaker 2: Sta