Speaker 1: Hey everybody, It's Tuesday, February eighteenth, twenty twenty five. Welcome to the Giant BombCast, Episode eight hundred and seventy eight. I'm your host and your valentine, Jan Ochoa. What the heck you didn't show up to dinner? I sat there waiting for you like a fool. The wait staff had no sympathy for me. I was offered no free appetizes. But speaking about appetites, we got the most appetizing man on this podcast, co Captain of the ship. He's like a crab rangoon because he's filled with cheese.
Speaker 2: Jeff Grubb, I'm I'm your chops salad. I am all those things to you that you need me to be there. It goes Mikey.
Speaker 1: That's right, just like things you need to be you need a good vegetable course. And we've got the man that's in the weeds because he's he's deeply rooted, he's deeply seated, he's with the Gords, he's so he's he is the wedge salad of this, not just this podcast, but this website.
Speaker 3: Dan Record, Wow, I have to assume those are all good things. Thank you, thank you so much. That's me what's a web salad. It's just a wedge of lettuce, like a triangle. Yeah, yeah, on top of a triangle, like just one big hunk of.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think it doesn't look as crazy as I thought. I thought it would just be like a big like crazy, like when you go to like seven eleven in Japan and there's the triangle get mixed with the sandwiches.
Speaker 4: Now just looks like a weird salad.
Speaker 2: I think I tried to order a wedge salad at a restaurant at PACKS once, and I could like my brain was conflating wedge and cob at the same same time, and so I got kept I think three times in a row while the waiter was trying to get me to clarify what I was saying. I think I said, codge nice. Yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't. It was very embarrassing. Actually, we got the man that has never embarrassed. He lives with no.
Speaker 4: Shape, Mike, just yet, please let him finish.
Speaker 1: Come on, dude, what the hell you're lucky.
Speaker 4: I don't have access to your HR apartment.
Speaker 1: We got the bad boy of games media. He's our own little sweet treat after dinner. He's he's a little cup of espresso. He's a little teara massou. He's our chocolate lava cake.
Speaker 4: My like MANAUGHTI like little tearra masoux. That's that's appropriate. That's cute. Man. You know, Jeff, Jeff has some video issues, so I tried to turn off his video camps. I need to look at his freemy face in our little like you meating thing. I didn't realize that also stopped his audio. So, Jeff, you said anything to me in like the last eight minutes before I realized that I could not. You heard me laughing a lot after your introduction. It's because I thought you weren't here anymore. I can introduce you that I just heard silence.
Speaker 2: You threw a blanket over me and forgot about me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was my best. Sorry, Sorry I erased you. You're the man who erased his name.
Speaker 2: Wow, Jeff Greb.
Speaker 4: Wow is the spinoffs we're doing it?
Speaker 1: Look at that Valentine's Day was this past weekend. I hope everyone enjoyed it. If you're you chose to celebrate, or if you decided to get very sad and just do things for yourself, don't be sad because you did a thing for yourself. How's everyone doing good?
Speaker 2: Real good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, real good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, are you fine? Jeff Grubbs, Shit, what are you doing so good?
Speaker 2: Jeff?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's because I slept.
Speaker 4: Oh right, Yeah, I did not get enough sleep. It was nice having yesterday off. That was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Also, most of my sports teams aren't playing, so I don't have to get upset over grown men losing games that I have no involvement in.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are you like, are you like and you're watching that hockey tournament, are you like really invested in the US winning it? Or is it not really about that for you?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I yeah, I'm like it's one of those things where it can feel very rocky for you know, the world's on fire. And not a huge fan of my government at the moment, but it's always fun to look back at points of turmoil in history and be like, and then those two countries played each other in sports, and it's like it got rough and tumble and violent and stuff like that, and then afterward they were all just kind of like, well, we're gonna go back and play for our teams in the professional hockey league together and hang out and be friends. Still it's like, in twenty years we'll we'd be like, oh my god, can you believe we went through through all that stuff? But at least we had that cool hockey game. I'm trying to look at it through that lens, and uh it's like, you know, the Canadians booed the national anthem, like okay, I don't, I don't care. But it made the game that much better because the players took it that much more seriously and so it felt very rocky for and I love that.
Speaker 1: Uh. I yeah, I I could use some relief from the government right now. Oh yeah, I Mike Manatti, I'm sorry, I'm going to generalize and ask you this question.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I'm exciting. This is okay.
Speaker 1: Actually two things, Mike. One, uh, this isn't a question on you. But every time I see a sky Breezy commercial, I just expect everyone to be exactly like you. So every person in the Skyrazy commercial, I'm just assuming, like, oh, they're all a Disney adult, They're all very pleasant to be around, and you know they may have had lude activities at a rainforest cafe. Okay, I get it. We get it, Mike. But the second thing, Mike, I went to a play I got a milkshake and they gave me a pasta straw. Have you used a pasta straw? Is that a thing?
Speaker 4: Gosh, Jan, you unlocked a memory. I feel like I have probably either a Disney restaurant or some gimmick restaurant like a Planet Hollywood in the nineties. Once upon a time, I was given a pasta straw somewhere that sounds vaguely familiar, and I remember thinking it was gross because eventually the pasta gets soggy, right, and yeah, it's not a great feeling. Man, where was the sat Where'd you get the pasta straw?
Speaker 1: I just got it at a local burger joint, And like it's like.
Speaker 4: A bucatini or something.
Speaker 1: It was like a fat bukatini.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay, okay, that sounds Italian.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, fat bucatini. That's what they called me in high school. It was very out of place.
Speaker 4: Okay, Hey, do you think like looks like you think straws have two holes or one hole or what.
Speaker 1: We talked about this during Game of the Year.
Speaker 4: Is diehard Christmas movie. I'm sorry you don't like my question.
Speaker 2: Wow, man, he's been destroyed here. I believe this is what's happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, what the hell?
Speaker 2: It's not enough that you play these salicious clips of me. Gosh, yesterday, I didn't realize this was gonna be frowned upon so much hotly ship Well, the answer is to and fuck you, oh rhymes.
Speaker 4: It's so bad. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: And every other group of friends or whatever. I sure I am not the funny duddy, that's for sure. I don't think you're actually a funny duddy. I just atay for when you are. Yeah, yeah, I'm really known for my dislike a fun and goofy.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's all the time. Ye that loves Disney and Disney World in the parks, the stickest in the mud.
Speaker 2: You're very serious, man.
Speaker 4: Will you guys visit me if I have to go to the RFK Junior Health Farms or whatever because he wants to get rid of my anti depressant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll come rescue you.
Speaker 4: They we're all going to have her owns.
Speaker 1: There is nothing wars, in my opinion, there's a lot of things worse. Actually, then sticking taking away people's antidepressants and eighty HD medicine and then sticking them on a farm and then telling them to do a task.
Speaker 4: Farm the farm being discussed jo before. Yeah, I'll tell you what's not good for your anxiety about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, concentration camps. They're not weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Like it's like people could just go there for like two years, like we have lives. No, I don't worry. He also said he'll repair black kids. So we're just having a good time all around. Okay, Yeah, that's good all around.
Speaker 3: You get confirmed with those type of views, right McMahon's in there. Impossible in the Congress chambers.
Speaker 4: With the politics talk.
Speaker 1: But I can't fucking stand it right now.
Speaker 2: Gave it.
Speaker 4: It's rough, It's it's rough. It's hard on there to be a pimp.
Speaker 2: I mean, we all want to say that, Mike, but you don't have.
Speaker 4: To cut out.
Speaker 2: I forget.
Speaker 1: There was one year at the need to stop listening to hip hop Mike.
Speaker 4: The oscars, but I still cared about movies where it's like the best original song and the song that one was called It's hard up there to be a pimp or something like that, and they won and I never saw anybody more excited to win an oscar my life. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: It was the greatest thing using the hustle and flow song.
Speaker 3: Do you know is Mike who? I saw it in Chatt Crazy Mammia. But do you know what they did for wrestling teams?
Speaker 4: Oh? Oh they did they do Mark Henry's Yes, absolutely there, someone's going to get their ass. That's a good one. God, wrestling exercise used to be so good.
Speaker 1: See, how do you expect the four of us to work on a fucking farm?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's hard there to be a.
Speaker 2: You gotta start saying that the one I can't say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of things you shouldn't say to be better. Don't you put it on a southboard? It's saying all the.
Speaker 2: Time he already did.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Sean is thank you Sean for that clip in advance.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying on command, you don't have to make the electronics do it.
Speaker 4: I'm here, I got a mouth. Vocal courts and you.
Speaker 3: Get and you get paid for it if we bring it here at a clip of you saying I'm here, I've got a mouth.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, you know what I was going to start with a different game on the podcast, but Mike just keeps digging himself a hole.
Speaker 4: So what better game to talk about.
Speaker 1: Then a game about digging a hole. Oh it's so good.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: I really liked this stupid hole game.
Speaker 1: I didn't finish this, but I did enjoy my time digging a hole.
Speaker 4: Do the rest of us complete the hole?
Speaker 2: I completed the hole?
Speaker 4: Okay, I dug the whole hole.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, Well let's we're gonna describe it, but I am going to throw out the challenge right now. I think tomorrow afternoon, leading up to Blake Club, I think we have the Great Giant Bomb hole Off featuring us four racing to dig a hole the fastest, with punishments on the line, uh dolled out by the winner.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: Can we call it a hole off? So it says a hole I think that's funny.
Speaker 4: Great giant bomb a hole off?
Speaker 2: No, well, no, you can't do it that way. You have to be like a whole off. B Yeah, okay, lot during the Yeah that works for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I can say that to Jeff right now to appease him. But let's not call it that Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where what's the status of the punishments? Wait, we'll get to the hole in a second.
Speaker 1: Here, what is the.
Speaker 3: Status of the punishments? I saw grab was streaming some Grand Fandango, I finished Crimson Skies.
Speaker 4: What was the The Sean has yet to start Warrior World. But that's not a super long game, so okay, sure, he's like, it's he's not competing in the hole off anyways, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can I can see the heart the art for the whole off already. I'll just put us as like the characters from holes. Okay, yep.
Speaker 4: From Sean. He's he's playing Warrior World. He thinks it's fun. Nice, nice pause music. Let's talk about that hole. The game's actually called a game about digging a hole. That's its full title. It's five dollars on Steam and every.
Speaker 2: Fun that's called that because then you get to always do the joke, oh what is that about? And everyone loves it. It's a very good time.
Speaker 3: Yes it is. It's descriptive. There's not anything more to it than it sounds like. There is.
Speaker 4: You just you're a guy that moves into a house. You got a.
Speaker 3: Backyard, you got a little weird shovel gimmick that's like got a battery and it just like MP.
Speaker 4: It's like a little you know, back and forth guy.
Speaker 3: And so when you first start, you're trying to dig in the yard and you're just the tiniest little bits and flex of dirt are coming off. But then you'll find a stone. You'll uncover it and then go to your garage and sell the stone at your computer for a dollar. And then you start getting upgrades to your shovel, You get upgrades to your battery. You buy a jet pack so you get out of the hole. Because I saw a lot of people in my chat saying that like they dug in a spiral so they could get out. I did not think about that. I just dug straight down. And there was definitely a jet back right away. I wasn't buying it right away because I don't need it. And then there were definitely some times where I was like, this hole is pretty deep and I don't know if I can get a footing to get out of here. So A bought the jet back. That definitely helps a lot. I never saw what happens if you don't if you can't get out before the jet if you.
Speaker 4: Just yet when your batteries run, now it explodes, so you die.
Speaker 3: Do you respawn in the whole progress is still there? Yeah, but you lose all your R that you have on your person. That's fine, that's whatever.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, my my issue with this game is I come from a different digging meta. Sure, I'm used to the Minecraft hold to dig and then I can turn my brain off. Here I have to actively click.
Speaker 3: So I yes, I heard in my chat that I think Shoemaker on next Lander was talking about that too, and that being an.
Speaker 2: I was planning on steam Deck.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, when you plan, I played with the controller. You just holding the trigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the controller just does it automatic. I did it.
Speaker 4: That's a keyboard. I like clicking each time. Damn it.
Speaker 2: You're a better person than.
Speaker 1: Us, We get it. You can do well on the farm, all right.
Speaker 3: I think for the whole off we can use controllers, right, sure, Yeah, that's regular. Sure, Okay, controllers are allowed for the whole off. Okay, no ambas still though, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: My fury bowser you can bring it around though, yo.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you buy lamps and dynamite like there's certain like lava rocks and stuff like that that you have to like dynamite through, and you know, it gets dark if you go down too low and you put lamps on the walls, and I definitely accidentally broke a few of my own lamps by shoveling them, and that's very annoying.
Speaker 2: It's a loop game. Any game that has a tight loop is basically just a game about digging a hole. Like really, that's what That's what this revealed to me is, Oh, okay, I am making progress out into this wilderness. This just be in my yard. I got it as far as I can kind of get on the amount of resources I have. I go back, I upgrade my resources, I drop stuff off, make some money, and now I can go a little bit further next time. And also I have the capacity to carry more. So it's like, oh okay, yeah, I'm just gonna do that loop until I get to the end. It's it's a very satisfying thing. It works in all kinds of games. Steamroll Dig two very similar. The fact that they just kind of boil it down to just what this is here reveals like, oh, just going through this process is a fun thing on its own. It's you know, a little bit like a clicker game with gameplay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, yeah, I was working.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah it's installed Firefox.
Speaker 1: Oh look at that. It's it's funny because well we'll talk about it in a bit. But I was having a very grand time, like going heads down in a vowed and then Dan yelled at everyone in our little discord to play a game about digging a hole. And then here's this triple A game that is great, absolutely fantastic. My attention was wrapped for like a good at least half an hour to an hour playing this five dollars game. I love games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like a good, a good little break.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I've been just like binging avowed for the last week, and I was like, all right, let me just hear your ninety minutes two hours. I could just dig a damn hole, nothing more to it, nothing deeper, no deeper mating or twist or anything really and then it's just you're done, and it's like that was a satisfying time.
Speaker 4: I think there was a deeper meaning, but it's kind of a spoiler, I think to the whole capital list, Anti greed, no man's an island. I am serious about the anti greed thing a little bit.
Speaker 1: I will talk about it during the whole off, Okay, can't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to get spoilers to the thing. Uh well, I thought the game. I thought the game was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: It's just like this perfect distillation of being a video game of what progression should look like like in this Like especially, yeah, that's the word progression and how that can work because you do start off with this tiny, shitty little shovel. You're getting a dollar at a time, and then you just slowly ramp up to you know, like when you get the drill, that's like one of the most satisfied it's ever gotten a video game. I was just like, oh, here we go. Now we're really party because again, especially because I was clicking for eachhovel with the drill, then it's automatic. Oh that was a huge benefit to me. Yeah, you're like, you know, instead of getting a stone it's on it for a dollar, you're finding gold and selling it for so much more. Couple of little secret here and there, super satisfying to like kind of set the lights where you want to to light up your path. Gosh, just such a simple idea executed about as well as it could be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's there's a time where it's like you realize this is how all progress works, right where you are digging one little thing at a time, and then suddenly you look up and there's this like tiny little spiral that you just naturally created that goes, you know, fifty meters above you. Oh my god, I didn't even realize I was that deep. And that is a really cool moment where it's like, Okay, cool, I really have made a ton of progress, even though it never felt that way because it's one digging hole at a time. I will say I don't super love the way the digging looks like, the way like a problem, the weird spires of dirt and stuff like that. It this is a five dollars game, and it totally works for what this game is. But I'm definitely like, ah, you know, I would have preferred if there was a little bit more to the way the day, especially if you upgrade the shovel, but it just would have felt more dirt like. But no, this game does what it needs to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of bugged me sometimes where it's like it's easy to leave a couple of little floating specs of dirt. Yeah, but they will have collisions. So as you're jetpacking, you're like, where is that thing? I gotta get rid of that.
Speaker 2: So when I got the drill, I would kind of like look straight up and I would jet pack out and I would turn the drill on and try to drill right straight above me and just clean those up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, that's right.
Speaker 4: I love what Jeff was streaming Griffin Dango and you started talking about this because Dann wanted him to play it, and he's like, now, chat like, what what's what do you have to do with the dirt? Do you have to like then go to the dirt, like you have to take care of the dirt, And they told him no, and Jeff was really disappointment.
Speaker 2: My ideal digging game is that Eco game Eco where you have to account for all the dirt. So as you like are digging holes, like you can only carry like five blocks of dirts Minecraft like on your person and then you can like take that to a wheelbarrow, and so you have to kind of like make these shafts through the mind that are big enough to have people down there, and these tools and these wheelbarrows so that you can load those up with like a hundred blocks of dirt and then someone takes that up while you continue to mind. And it was like becomes this team effort, and it's like such a good representation of like working together and thinking ahead. But this game is not trying to do that at all. Yeah, I mean got an hour and a half to two and a half hours, just a perfect little distallation. Mic sivty five dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's you know, it's always wild when like, you know, what's pretty obviously the Game of the Year comes out in February, right, it's a front running for best hole of the year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, which one though?
Speaker 4: My whole or your whole or Jeff's hole, our whole hole?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we have a hole together, Mike.
Speaker 1: Our communist hole. Yeah, community holes, community holes. It sounds like we're very in deep with a game about digging a hole, but it also sounds like we're eating very deep. Y'all talked about this, I believe last Friday, but of a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm definitely at the point where, like last night, I got to the point where it's like, all right, you're you can't go back after this. This is the final stretch here, and uh, I was getting kind of tired, so I went to bed rather than play at the end of the game tired. So probably gonna be that tonight. I'm right around fifty hours and I would say, Okay, I've been doing that pretty completion this thing. You know, I've gotten every one of the like gold totems and all that stuff in every area. I've done all the bounties on every side quest and all that shit. And if you want, like the the more like intro level on what about is conversation? We talked about it quite a bit on bompcast Revengeance last Friday. It seems like most of us are very very hot on it. I continue to be super hot on it, even you know, right at the end. But yeah, where are you guys at with it?
Speaker 2: I think I'm about to go to the second area, but I did want to clean up some of the bounties before I went. I also have like a weird side quest, which Danny, I'm just gonna ask your help with the one that is about like optional totems, like go find totems in the world. Is that something that I'm gonna be I would be able to come back to or should I try to clean up anything with that, Like that.
Speaker 3: First island, it's worth getting those like to at least have one full totem because each each area has six of those gold things you can find and including the base or the tower or whatever, and they give you passive bonuses. So there's like sex and they're all worth having. And you can have one like totem active at a time. So you should, at least, especially in that first area, get all six before you move on activate it, and.
Speaker 4: Then you'll have all these passive bonuses going on.
Speaker 2: I have like just haven't really looked at it too closely yet, is it like if I set that as my main objective, will kind of point me in the right direction? Or do I piece some stuff together you can find.
Speaker 3: Or buy like a sheet that is like it'll give you like clues on like this one sits the top of an amethyst tower or something.
Speaker 2: I've seen that, so get that.
Speaker 3: But I will also say that if you don't want to just do this straight up Easter egg hunt, there is a thing and accessibility where you can turn on specifically the gold totem things on your compass.
Speaker 4: So interesting. That won't give.
Speaker 3: You a way point on your map, but if you are in the area, you will see like a gold thing with an up or down, So like you can kind of make that a little shorter if you don't want to scour every little bit.
Speaker 2: Or you can have you know, you might try for a little bit. Then I might turn that on. That's that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Another way if you don't want to turn that on, is you get the ranger guy one of your companions. He has an ability that just kind of like you know, ear to the ground can tell.
Speaker 4: I use that all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, highlights where everything is that will help you find the gold totems too.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, all right, very cool, I'll do that either way. About to go to the second area. I've also started playing on steam Deck. I was pretty wasn't sure if it would work natively on the steam Deck. Then I went I was going to stream, and I saw once again on the steam page they're like, hey, the you know the fault settings for this game run flying on the steam Deck. Now it's it's a bordering on fine, and there's deffinitely areas where it's pretty rough, but I uses FSR three basically up scaling tech from am D and I set that to like performance instead of quality, which is what it defaulted to, and so I think I'm getting in a little bit better, a little better frame rate. But it definitely still looks really rough because it's on the lowest settings and it's using the lowest setting of FSR, so a lot of artifacting and weirdness, but it's still that game mostly, And this has enabled me to play more now, and so it's like people that were asking me, hey, can it work on steam Deck? I don't know if I would buy it just to play it on steam Deck, but maybe if you have a Roger ally a little bit more powerful, maybe that's a little bit better. But it does technically actually work. It does function, I suppose.
Speaker 3: But you can also do the stream thing if you just want to stream from a computer in your house and that works.
Speaker 2: Really of course that works. Might do that. Yeah, I mean it's such a pretty game that That's why I'm like, hessend about that. Like, again, you technically it can work, but man, if you're gonna pay money for this game, you really should get your money's worth and try to play it on a Big Boy PC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still super early in the game, about like ten or so hours, and I've been enjoying every aspect of it. Like I was a little worried because y'all when we were talking about it prior to release, just very high on it and sometimes you know, expectations and reality. But I've been digging it, and I've also been trying to combat wise play it differently than how I normally would, because I would normally just approach it like sword and shield or some type of melee weapon. But I just love how dumb the wand looks and how you were just exactly you were just like whipping that around and when you get a crit and like you kind of just like stick the dude in place and throw a bunch of stupid spells at them.
Speaker 4: So that's it's not a crit that so there is a stamina bar, it's.
Speaker 1: Like a bar like yeah, okay, then so when you.
Speaker 4: Fill that yellow bar, that's when it's like that combo attack thing, which.
Speaker 2: That's that's crucial to like you know, prime them with your your companions, right, so that like vine move that the second companion has that holds people still really good for breaking their poise and you can hold them there and attack them a few times. And a lot of times it's a weaker enemy, they will just be fully poised out, and so you could just attack them and you'll do that awesome attack every time.
Speaker 3: It's really great speaking of things that feel good in that game, Mike, specifically for you. You've been playing, right, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. You know the party camp or you go back and you can level up and talk to your companions and stuff. Sure, all right, so you know the feeling and Mega Man, the neys ones where you get to a boss door and you jump into it and he kind of hovers until you get third drops.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know that feeling.
Speaker 3: Yep, you want to leave the party camp, don't talk to the address stone and you know there's that barrier, that invisible barrier.
Speaker 4: W It's like do you want to leave here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, jump into that and then say you want to leave load screen it's day and then you land. It's the Mega Man things. That's yeah, I did that every single time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, gosh no, yeah, I still been playing and I like it a lot. I've been I didn't play a ton of it this weekend because some other things I've been playing that I can't talk about one thing we can't talk about yet. But I've been having so much fun, and I, you know, I am glad hearing other people are enjoying it a lot. My brothers have jumped in. They keep talking about it. By the way, my brothers also were like in my group messages right now detective figuring out where we got noodle as a straw at. It was a very local Italian place that closed like thirty years ago, called the Italian ovens him a plug the Italian that's also call They used to have a peanut butter and jelly pizza. Apparently that my brothers remember that sounds gross.
Speaker 1: Huh cool?
Speaker 4: I would try.
Speaker 1: But I've also enjoyed the writing in about a lot, Like I kind of like how like the first two characters you meet are kind of super cheesy, and I just couldn't keep looking at this blue elf looking dude. I'm like, all right, okay, am I gonna be stuck with you. I'll learn to deal with it. You're very nice. But then he quickly gets replaced with uh, you know, this world's Garris, another blue character, another blue character, but he's cool.
Speaker 4: But the first you.
Speaker 2: Were denigrating gart the Yeah, god, hi, oh you're talking about Garrick. Yes, the first Garrick.
Speaker 3: Garrison, the first guy you meet, the little blue fuzzy guy. And I think I was the first one of this group to start playing it. And I was pretty early on the scored being like this game kicks ass, and then grubs like, all right, I'll start it, and like five minutes later, just screenshot to the discord of the blue Fuzzy guy and grubs like, Dan, you're liking a game with this guy in it? Yes, I am, just that you were like, No, Garrick's my dude.
Speaker 4: Not though you'll meet Yachtstley and I don't like the name. I feel like I play Yachtzi.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like if Harley Quinn turned into like a weird rabbit.
Speaker 4: Lady, and it's like, I might be okay with that. I do like it. Does she have Tiny Tina energy, She's like a tiny Tina's weird aunt. Okay, Yeah, sounds kind of fun.
Speaker 2: That's also just the name of the next game, weird, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might check that out. Yeah, but yeah, I'm really enjoying my time with a vowed I like all the fungus stuff. The game is very super fucking pretty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it doesn't look like every like fantasy trope thing. Like it's like kind of a it's got a unique feel to it. And I like just the setup of the story of like you coming in from this a Darian, you know, army with a thing for the emperor, and then you just realizing it's like, ah, everyone here fucking hates me.
Speaker 4: Wait do we say, am I bad? What's the does Averia suck?
Speaker 2: And like, I think that's pretty well worn territory for the for the genre, but it's like it's that's completely fine. I'm expecting well worn, you know, like wrung out storytelling from a fantasy game these days. Just do like if you're going to operate in that realm, just kind of make sure that it's fun and enjoyable and like it gives me a propellant as a player character, which one hundred percent they nail. I mean, the setup, this isn't really a spoiler. This is the setup to the game. You walk into the main town and your character gets assassinated and you God brings you back to life, and so you're investigating your own murder like that is such a good way to keep players invested in what is happening in the story, because it's like, oh, okay, I have a personal stake in this. I want to know what's going on there, and that leads to one thing, leads to another, and you unravel more and more of like what is happening in this world, and so it's like all that stuff. It nails, And so I'm like, I'm a little bit confused about some of the criticism about its story where people are really just like, I don't They're expecting a lot more from it, And I guess that comes from Obsidian made fall Out New Vegas, and I guess this is not fall Out New Vegas. This was never trying to be that game though. It's a very different game, and it nails what it's going for. So I'm just like, I'm just gonna play this game out what it is.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never put this together, but now chat pointing it out that whole you get you get killing it the solve your own mirth thing that's also the starting setup of New Vegas. That's sure, yeah, yeah, right, But going back to just the way the game looks and I think it's so important for this game to have this sort of stunning and very identifiable art style. Like watching that State of Play last week, there was a point where there were all these games, especially this character action games don't look bad, but they look so similar. I love the fact that if you showed me a screenshot of a Vowed, a random screenshot from almost anywhere, I would probably be able to say that's from a Vowed, right. There's just a distinctiveness to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: The other thing about the writing and the look that I enjoy is I made my dude just have like a tree face, and I love that everyone.
Speaker 4: With Yeah, I was such a coward with my godlike face. I picked the least distinct one because I, like, I didn't real quite understand what it was like, I don't I want to have a giant fungus on my face, And now I realized it's a very important part of the story. It's like, I'm a coward. Did you do the one where it's just like a couple like like little red things? Oh, yeah, that's what I didn't do. Yeah, exact same.
Speaker 3: Looks like seth Rawlins with a couple like red like under a you know football pant.
Speaker 2: My guys just will farrow with the horns and then like flowers on a yeah guy looks, yeah, I'm very happy with my man.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 1: Uh well, it sounds like we're all going to keep playing that, and I'm going to keep driving and keep driving. I've talked a little bit about this, but it is Oregon Trail basically, right, you.
Speaker 2: How are like, so you've been playing it for like the last couple of weeks. You've stuck with it. It's like kind of kept giving you more stuff to engage with it.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'll stick with it further. I do enjoy the vibe. I enjoy the look of it. I wish they had the option, though, to turn off like the stylized like retro text and just have plain text because sometimes it hurts my eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me some comic sance or my mild dyslexia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me some papyrus and then we'll we'll talk. Bring me to the way of water. But similar to an organ trail, you have this gigantic map and the you have like an end destination of like okay, you got to go all the way over here, but to get all the way to like the right side of the map, you have to make several stops, and then once you go through those stops on the way, you have a bunch of random encounters. And sometimes those random encounters are a traffic jam, a flat tire, or road rage, and the game will pop up different different icons and those different icons will target your different resources. So maybe in this turn you're you're going to lose gas if you don't take care of it with these cards you have. Because it is also on top of an organ trail, it is also a card game as well, where you have a different ability to attack the gas or attack your energy, your hunger, your car's health, and during those random encounters, you are trying to conserve as much energy as possible. When you pick up a hitch hiker or a friend, you also gain their abilities, so you can switch off to like, oh, this high hitchhiker. Her abilities target every little icon or pip that will target my car health or my energy, or she will buff me and give me an extra turn or something. And you were also leveling up your hitchhikers as you go, depending on the car you choose, and when you first start a run, you're only given like an old beat up Camaro, and you are upgrading that by putting in a grid similar to a resident evil different parts. And also you gotta get some food in there to heal you up or to boost your energy. It's you were managing a lot of different resources, and I, like I said, I enjoy the vibe, it's just very hard and hurts my eyes to read it sometimes. Also, like the flow of the game does kind of get stale because you were just doing the same random encounters, Like even if they are different instances of different things, you were still gameplay wise doing the same thing, and it's kind of gotten old for me. You do get to do fun activities when you were like kind of going to your different destinations. Like one of the very first things they have you do is like, oh, you can pick up a job to deliver this band's equipment to a different destination. And for me, it worked out that I would have to go back to different map pips and then go to a different route, so that took a while. But if Oregon Trail was your jam and you kind of just like vibing out and doing some light I wouldn't say tactics, but like card based mechanics. Maybe keep Driving is your jam. The music in it is fantastic, though, so I might actually pick up the soundtrack.
Speaker 3: I just saw the title of it and I was like, ooh, I wonder if this is like speed, if it's like a gimmick where like, oh, you can't stop driving, you got to keep driving?
Speaker 4: That sound like for me.
Speaker 3: I google it and the first line on steam is keep Driving is an atmospheric management RPG.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think I had to read on that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh it is. It is definitely not that, but it is a new take on a classic of Oregon Trail and yeah, Organ Trail FTL that.
Speaker 2: Sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have so much nostalgia for Oregon Trail that yeah, that's kind of as me interested in this was I forget, is there like a destination that you're really trying to get to, like an.
Speaker 1: Like the right side of the map. I forget the specific destination they plot.
Speaker 4: That's not where Organ is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well depends where you start. Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because yeah, your car is going from left to right here, so it's like the opposite of Oregon Trail and everything is right to left on that one.
Speaker 1: Speaking about a classic. I don't know who's been playing it, but someone had put Overwatch Classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We played this on Friday, and I wanted to bring it up because I haven't played this before.
Speaker 1: Is this like Marvel Rivals?
Speaker 2: It's a market, it's a Marvel Rivals like And it was a very good time and I had not played much Overwatch too at all. Frankly, I haven't played much Overwatch since they've changed many of the characters. I don't know when they do did most of that? Maybe that was Overwatch too. Either way, I was like going back to this and playing with you know, Mike and Sean, and it was like, oh, okay. They keep talking about how oh that this character still plays the way they didn't originally as opposed to how they play now. I'm like, oh my god, they changed my may excuse me, and a bunch of these other characters. They don't function the way that I would want them to function. That's crazy. You absolutely need Overwatch Classic if that's the case. I had a really good time and was reminded, oh, Overwatch a very good video game. It was a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so fun. I played so much of original Overwatch, especially those first few years. So going back, they're even just small things like Hanzo having his bounce arrow ability that they eventually got rid of for this rapid fire show that it was more fair but also way less fun right right, So yeah, to just just small things like that, I you know, and then it was still six ft six, right, it's not the five y five thing that over Watch two became. It's funny because it seems like just a lot of those Overwatched two things are getting slowly reversed, like they've been introducing six v six as an option at least, and stuff like this loop boxes are coming back, right, So that whole Overwatch two model probably not a great idea, especially because they sold it with that whole co op campaign that was canceled.
Speaker 1: Oho.
Speaker 4: It's funny because, like we're saying, more live service games have to like resort to that like Rainbows six siegs just a nounce Siege X just basically like their attempt at the same kind of thing. At some point, you got to do some kind of I don't want to say desperate, but big, big update. You have to say how big it is by adding a two or an X or something there. I guess. Uh.
Speaker 1: Speaking about going back to things, Mike, you've been going back to Astrobot. Actually you all have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a chance to get it. I think you're in the lead, so yeah, new kind of Uh to my surprise, I think, to your surprise too, Dan. They they they're dropping another five speed run levels, which is really neat and the first one's cool because it's that time stopping gimmick, which is one of the better power ups from the base game. Actually I never did the monkey climbing one from the last sets. I did that real quick before starting that, and boy did I hate that. It's not it's definitely the weakest one. But I had to do it just so I could have like that overall leadable, right, I did it, just like to get the two butts. I was like, that's enough of that. This feels so much better. But yeah, like Dan set at times, so then I went and uh we beat I beat the time. We went back and forth a little bit. I will say, there's another steal skip in this one, like in that ice level I can do. I tried doing it for a bit. I'm just like, there's two of them.
Speaker 3: There's two that you can do and I can't. I've not even one time gotten neither of them to work. No, exactly like, Okay, I'll try it, and like thirty minutes are trying.
Speaker 4: It's not like, oh, I'm not executing it right, I'm not even getting it the trigger and I'm just like.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is okay. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: And the last seal skip one that level, like I was hitting that like almost every time, like that was.
Speaker 4: This one. I cannot figure out. The thing with this one is that it's not like, oh, the seal reacts as soon as you hover on him. He's on a cycle. You know, you have the time scopping thing, so you can kind of use that to manipulate the cycle a little bit. I didn't realize that. Yes, it's still just it's very tricky. So yeah, it was. That's why it was like it was fun. It was fucking ppting with tankers. Don't think either of us are going for the seal skills anyways. You know, like Vitelli's just trolling both of us because I think you know he is doing this. You got yeah, yeah, for sure, you know he's better.
Speaker 1: Than so don't give this.
Speaker 4: It's it's just awesome see them keep bringing content to this game. It's a great time excuse to go back to it because I just really really like playing Astro great but in this one, oh right, yeah you unlock. Yeah, that's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: I need to I need to go play this. So it's hard to make time with all these other games because I assume as I play something like this, of course, then I'm locked in. That's all I want to do, so I keep trying to avoid it, but I'll just give in and play.
Speaker 1: Speaking about other games coming out, I believe Nikky talked about this on BombCast Revengeance the last Friday if you missed it, but I was also down in La playing split Fiction with them. Spliction. Yes, I've started calling it spliction internally in my head as well. Thank you, Mike Minattio. If you have played it Takes two or his Joseph Harris's Other Way Way a game, right, people forget I played it? Yeah, this is one of those. I think this is very ambitious with the different levels and mechanics that they're going for. I think we have a front runner if we want to introduce this category though for best hot Dog of the Year. Okay, there is a moment where you transform into a hot dog and you have to cook yourself by rolling around like the game is real silly. I just hope that overall the game's story doesn't take itself too seriously because everything else seems to be like, ha ha, Okay, that's.
Speaker 2: Crazy, that's weird.
Speaker 1: We're in the fictional world. But then when you get to the actual serious story bits, it's like, hmm, I don't know, you guys not in on the joke. Is there a joke that we're.
Speaker 3: Doing that was not the strong point of their other stuff too, you know, like certainly not.
Speaker 1: It takes two because.
Speaker 4: Like the moment like is it like that, uh, that just happened kind of writing.
Speaker 1: No, like the moment to moment stuff is like, oh, that's weird, or like oh, you have to do something like very unexpected, and they're pulling off the mechanic very well. And it's so funny because like when Nicky and I were playing, we were so locked into our different perspectives where a couple of times we had to repeat a set piece or whatever. I would look over at Nicky's screen and they would look over at my screen and it's like, oh, you were doing something completely different and you saw different things. I do have to ask Eespr because we we did record some of the gameplay, but I kind of want to just release the audio of Nicky and I yelling at each other. Also, the photographer loved us. We were having the wail of a time playing the game. I'm very excited because the different mechanics that they did show. I kind of wasn't clicking with it originally when you start the game, but as you progress through and like the different stuff they had you doing, It's like, oh, if the Divorce game didn't make people actually want to get a divorce, this game will because you need the other person to be on the same wavelength as you and not skipping or like not looking at their phone or looking away. You need both of you need to be locked in for split fiction. I'm excited that's coming out in March.
Speaker 4: It's like two weeks easy, Christ, that's gonna be That is gonna be fun. I mean, yeah, It takes two was a really, really good time and like just the the platforming actually felt so good in that game. That was one of the biggest surprises of it for me. It's just like the running around and the jump in feel really good in this one too.
Speaker 1: It does not at first, but like at like I said, when you kind of take on different power mechanics, that winds up feeling good. The thing I do worry about, though, is like, Okay, the main story feels very hammy and not in a good way, but like the the moment to moment stuff like within your level and like within the levels, and the banter between the characters. It's like, Okay, they're starting to warm up to each other, and I'm kind of warming up to them. They're both kind of jerks at first, but it's like, oh, okay, we're we're understanding each other.
Speaker 4: It's like a sci fi writer and a fantasy writer, right, yes, yes, and they find common ground. How it's a it's a wouldn't it be terrible if it was like try to be like, this is a lefty and this is a rightist and they should find common that's what they're going for here?
Speaker 1: Impossible? How could that ever happen?
Speaker 2: Talk out our problems?
Speaker 1: What do you expect me to listen to someone else and look at it?
Speaker 4: I know it's about centrists.
Speaker 1: It's funny though, because there are other authors in the game that you see at the r LS Cinematic Uh no, not not shoot authors just like other people. And then I just wonder what their world looks like if, like what if someone was just like I just want to make a test prep book.
Speaker 4: Ah, yeah, they should have. They should have like those people who wrote that really long Smash Brothers fan fiction or whatever one or the guy who wrote the thing Obama.
Speaker 2: So you need the chaos god.
Speaker 4: Obama's got to actually say that once camera before he dies. Please.
Speaker 2: I was like kind of hoping Sonic three's post credit scene, what's gonna have that. I'm like, they could probably make that happen. You're pretty safe.
Speaker 4: Sonic four will get we'll get there.
Speaker 2: I think one of the Sonic movies will eventually make that happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what, Yeah, okay, sure, let's get Obama in movies.
Speaker 2: He's a he's a movie producer. You've made a bunch of netliks or whatever. Yeah, exactly. Uh split fiction.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I guess my last question about that would be like, Okay, so this thing's out in two weeks. Are you happy still that they are sticking with their core competency of no, this is a co op game, would you want ok yeah, you wouldn't want.
Speaker 1: Them to change that. I would not want them to change that because, like they've they nailed it with it takes two. Uh, they're the only ones doing this as well, right, Like I can't think of any other like hard net Wars.
Speaker 4: Yeah from Abandoned Cook He's in Cream, So yeah, it's up to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't forget your roots, guys.
Speaker 4: You brought it and core back. We can dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, hey, we're going to turn a game about digging a hole into a co op game and a competition, so.
Speaker 4: I mean, actually not a co op game at all.
Speaker 3: Didn't they do that with power because I compare the whole game to like Powerwash Simulator in terms of like how it feels. Didn't they add co op to Powerwash like months later? All right, keep an eye on that hole.
Speaker 4: One of the first things I ever did with you guys was I went to Jeff's house while you guys were doing co op Powerwash Simulator on at UPF and he had to do something of the kids, So I just jumped in talking to everybody. Okay, that's the first time I ever appeared on Giant Bomb content. Actually, yeah, whatever that upf I may have been on a game as mornings. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, you know we talked about Obama and the White House. Right now is a little bit of a Maniac Mansion.
Speaker 4: That's cute, master, right, Uh, this was kind of my weekend. This is how I had fun this long weekend. Maniac Mansion was a nineteen eighty seven computer game originally for Apple two's and Commodore sixty four's. Actually played the eighty nine version may for Thass with slightly better graphics. I think I talked before about how much I like LucasArts Adventure games. I made Jeff play Grimfin Dango, which is kind of the pinnacle of that, and it's wild because that's basically like the second to last one. There's a monkey Allen after that. But you know, it's like that whole era, which to me is this giant deal. These LucasArts Adventure games is from eighty seven to like two thousand. Grip of Dingo is ninety eight, right these days, like a game from twelve years ago is you know, newer than Skyrit, right, I think, just don't change as much as the youth. But yeah, like as much as I love these games. I never really played that much of Maniac Mansion. I think even I was like, oh, that's that's so old. Am I still going to be able to have fun with it? Is it going to be two up? Two s blah blah? But you know, luckily you could just buy these games on goog They automatically run the kind of emulators shows BOXMVM, duscumby, which is amazing, so very easy to play it. And yeah, I just actually had a very very good time with this. Still it is that classic point and click style. It's simpler in some of the later games, especially in terms of story. You don't have things like the dialogue trees and whatnot. There's still so much here that's clever and creative. The kind of gimmick is that you have like six or seven characters you can pick from. You're taking three. You always have to take the main guy. He's kind of, you know, just enormy. Then the other characters all have special things that give them access to certain abilities, and there's different endings you can get depending on what characters you have. Like you can bring in this character who's an author into the mansion the whole place. You're trying to save this girl, the guy's friend. It's just he's an author. You can beat the game. So it's an evil meteor, right, who's the bad guy? Right, there's a bad meteor right where you can find the meteor right's manuscript for a novel that he wrote. It's really bad though, but as the writer, you can kind of doctor it up a bit and then mail it to a publisher and get him a book signing contract. If you give that to him, he'll give up his life a crime and become an author instead. Right, So that's one thing you can do. Or like, instead of that, you can find the phone number for the meteor police and you can fix a radio with the nerd character Bernard. That's another way that you can. Let's say, it's just like okay, so like, depending on what characters you have in there, there are different routes you can take. Also, as I learned recently because Jeff asked me this quiz question on our podcast, what's the first game to use the term cutscenes? It's Maniac Mansion because everything kind of runs on a clock, so like ten minutes in this event will happen, and it also kind of sets some of the characters on certain paths because they can run into you and throw you in the dungeon and things like that.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Jim, I have a question for y'all, because you'll, y'all are so much smarter than me with game game stuff. Why is it called a cut scene when cut scenes in movies are scenes that are cutting?
Speaker 4: Oh, I think here are The idea is that it's cutting to a scene. Yeah, So it's cuz y because it's not. Yeah, especially in this game, right, because it cuts away from what the player is doing and whatever room they're in to show these other characters interacting for a moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's that's something you've described it. It's like it's on a timer. It happens at a certain point, like kind of no.
Speaker 4: Matter what, right, Yeah, I think I think there might be some things that may interfere with it. Like, for example, at a certain point, a package will right for the one character living in the mansion, and he's going to go answer the door, so that gives you an opportunity to sneak into his room and do some things. Also gives you an opportunity to steal the package, which you might want because you can then get a stamp from it, which was important for me mailing that manuscript later. Right, they like that. There's also a pretty infamous thing in this game where only two of the characters, the biggest miscreants, are able to steal a hamster. You can steal a hamster in the game. In fact, you have to steal a hamster, but only these two can then put the hamster into a microwave. Oh this is that. Okay, this is that game. And then you can microwave the hamster and it explodes. It's as far removed as can you pet the blank as you can possibly get you. Then you can take the hamster bits and show him to the owner and he'll kill you.
Speaker 2: And how horny did this all make you?
Speaker 1: Not? Very? Did this remind you of an Italian restaurant you visited as a child?
Speaker 4: Thank you? Theyn't even remind me of that? No, no, no, characters can't die. You can still finish the game if some of them are dead, because again you have three. But you also can't like soft lock yourself out of things too. Right, it's not quite as elegant as later LucasArts games are pretty forgiving with that. They aren't like this or even the Sierra games where you can get, you can die, you can just kind of get in these situations where you have to restart the game or load of SAFEI or whatnot.
Speaker 2: Mike's novelty Twitter account of can You Microwave the Dog is just not as popular as the people, it turns out.
Speaker 3: I remember being like six or seven going to the video store and I would always just rent games based off the Boxer back then, and I saw that's like, oh, that's an interesting looking Boxer game, and then totally expecting any game it's a platformer. I get home and I instantly starting to like, I'm not controlling the wait, what is this? Like I probably didn't know what a cursor was at that point. What is all this like menu stuff? And like I've never more quickly as a child been like fuck this, take it back with the store. I never want to play a game like this. My most experience of.
Speaker 4: That I discovered that like these games with actually this game sequel, Day of the Tentacle on PC, and I probably picked that up more than a ninety five and I really did fall for it. But I was also familiar things like miss so I was aware of the concept of pointing and clicking right that NS version, like, I've always heard about that, and I thought it was it sounded like a weird novelty. But then for funzies, I played through all of that. The day after I played this PC version, right, I got a emula going, I got the switch NES controler hooked up to my PC. Since I knew what I was doing, I looked up some stuff for some of the other endings. I was like, I was just playing through, Like this actually worked really well on NS. It was pretty surprised because they do some smart stuff, like so you know in these Lucas Starts a venture games, these earlier ones, there's like these list of verbs in the bottom that you can click to interact with the world. So you know, you click on the literally the words pick up and then you click on the key. But by pushing the select button you can cycle through some of the most popular verbs like use or open. So that streamlines everything pretty nicely. Also looks nice on NES and the ES version has a soundtrack. The PC versions are mostly quiet, and then was very good. So yeah, I had a ton of fun playing it that way as well.
Speaker 2: Think just in my head Maniac Mansion was a Day of the Tentacle. I did not really realize it was like, oh, this is much older, and I when I was watching you play, I'm like, oh, I did not. I really did not have a frame of reference for how this game actually looked. So it was cool to see you playing this day Tentacle.
Speaker 4: Yes, and again daya Tangle was only six years later, and it looked so much lower and write more cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like a Saturday Morning cartoon. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The strangest thing I did in My Maniac Mansion weekend Frenzy Frenzy. So there was also a Maniac manch and TV show. Oh yes. They sold the show to the fine folks at the Family Channel at the time, and a lot of people from like SCTV. Eugene Levy was kind of the lead.
Speaker 1: Right now, this thing cool? Uh.
Speaker 4: This show ran for three seasons.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: The show is wild. It has almost nothing to do with the game except for the meteor. Right, there's the meteors there, the yeah, the guys. Then there's like a guy named Fred Edison who's a scientist. His u, the uncle who lives in the house, got turned into a fly. So He's just a guy in a fly costume in green screens to look really tiny. So that's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The very first episode of the show is called the tenth Anniversary Special, so it was a gag. They're pretending the show had been running for ten years and it was a clip show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so that's good.
Speaker 4: Watch the first episodes of this thing.
Speaker 1: That was wild.
Speaker 4: I kind of want to see all of them now. It's very weird.
Speaker 1: Okay. On top of us winning an Emmy, it is now my additional goal for us to make a movie for to be to B movie, because oh yeah, I feel like we just got to get Dan and backall are in the pitching room to the to be execs and they'll be like, all right, here's one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Just say the phrase this was too hot for Crackle, but we think you guys can handle it, all right. I think that's the man.
Speaker 1: There we go, there we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for all of us to be like to be celebrities, to be or not to be they.
Speaker 2: I watched the Super Bowl on two be because I just canceled my YouTube TV because it got too expensive.
Speaker 4: What's the gaming was it just extra ads or.
Speaker 2: No, it was it was just Fox. So they just like they streamed Fox onto tucause.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well you know it's over the air TV, so like yeah, I think they just like, yeah, it was completely free. It worked, it looked, it looked fantastic actually, so yeah, it was pretty good. I'm a two b guys. What I'm trying to say?
Speaker 1: Boo uh Mike Manati. You also spent the weekend not just with Maniac Mansion, but also spending some time in elden Ring Night Rain. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're doing the kind of like test thing for this game. Right now. This is not what I was expecting. So this is that elder Ring kind of spin off. We all knew, like, oh, it's a co op thing. They want you to play a three players. You can't play by yourself. Jeff, you have a question already.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just like say what I think it is and then you tell me how wrong I am. Sure, Okay, So I think it's going to be a kind of like a Boss Rush, sort of a Rogue Light where you're where you can kind of go in there single player, but they really want you to play with the trio.
Speaker 4: Here's what really threw me off is how much in this game no Fortnite really it's so it's co op, right, but the three of you and you always drop in the same place. You're basically on a big island and there's a circle, and the whole thing is that you kind of run around and fight the bosses that you can and get the upgrades that you can before the circle closes in on a specific area and then a big boss spawns there and then you have to kill that to get to like the next new circle spawns.
Speaker 2: Is it a.
Speaker 4: Kind of But then when that circle sponds, then you fight like the boss for that map in this thing in this beta had one map basically, so kind of one of these. And you also, you know, instead of like the traditional oh you make a character and you you know, customize that, you have classes. So there's like clearly the dexterity based one and the wizard one, and they also have special abilities and things like that, so it's not just like, oh, you're running around and here's like a new sword you can get, uh, so you know you only want to pick it up if you want to use that weapon, because each weapon also has a passive ability, so maybe you're not going to use that sword, but you have six slots. They may as well pick it up because it's plus ten damage to dragons or something like that. Then all the consumables too, like throwing knives or things that heal. But so like, yeah, it's like it was shocking. It's also it's really neat how you have to get revive your friends because you have to attack them to do that.
Speaker 2: You don't just go over and like hold down the button, try to get them up. But he's still sort of that Fortnite think that's how we care for each other, right.
Speaker 4: Right if you like kind of die consecutively, like oh, it's going to take more hits to get him up, that kind of thing. Oh yeah, So I was just really surprised. That was like, oh, okay, roguelike, it's gonna be kind of maybe a bit less open, just sort of boss rushy. Sure. No, you're running around and it's definitely fun. It's kind of weird because sometimes you're like finding a boss, it's like, well, here's the circle. I guess we just got to leave him and not worry about that anymore. I suppose fossil strange because you know it so clearly wants you to be doing the three player thing, kind of like Apex Legends, and you know, when you're playing for plenty of people, you know that's great, but getting matched up with people, it's like, well, help one of these guys knows what we're doing. Because I've decided I'm following this person.
Speaker 2: Can you play solo dolo exclusively? So you play solo? But I don't think the games maybe simple, correct me. I don't think the game like rebalances for a lot harder, and right now there's no duo option. I think people have can that they're maybe looking into that. But yeah, it's like Apex Legends again, where they definitely designed it for three people and that is how they want you to play now. So I'm like, Okay, I have two brothers. I bet I'll play this. I bet it's going to be fun.
Speaker 4: There's a part of me that's like, like, how much of this am I really going to Stomach's not the word, but what is the longevity of this? It's a very interesting twist on it, and it's a very smart way of reusing a lot of bosses and bringing back some old ones, Like you know, you are literally running around and just encountering a boss from Elton Ring and finding it. Now, there's some other differences, like you moving faster in general because you don't have the horse right. They give you kind of the wall shimmy up thing from Secro to help with the platform being and stuff like that. And it was fun, it was interesting. It was pretty surprising with these Fortnite ell of its again and I had a good time, but I'm still a little I'm a little skeptical of the sort of longevity of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see why. I like they would make some of those decisions, like they want to keep things moving and keep people on their toes. But you're right, that is surprising.
Speaker 1: When is it supposed to drop again?
Speaker 4: I don't know if he even has. It doesn't even happen in it yet. I thought it did out in Rain Night Rain, Okay, yeah, coming out of May, it may all right go well.
Speaker 1: Speaking about reusing assets and making a whole new game, Jeff Grabb, last game we got on the list like a Dragon pirate Yakas in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been playing this on the Steam deck as well, and it's it's I think it's really good. It's really solid. I am very into Yakuzin now after Infinite Wealth. I played a little bit of seven before that, Yes, seven, and I've tried some zero in the past, but Infinite Wealth is the one that really got me. And there is Goro Moduma in that, which is the guy with the iPad. She's been a huge character in the series previously so and I always was like when I was kind of looking over people's shoulder at them playing Yakuza, I'd always be like that Goro Manjuma. Now there's a character, there's a guy that just has things going on.
Speaker 1: Someone that is more well versed in the Yakuza cinematic universe. Can you can? Can someone just educate me? Is Gorol Maduma? I know that he's hella cool from the games that I've played, but is he just supposed to be Nicholas Cage's character from Wild at Heart because of the snakeskin jacket?
Speaker 4: And just like, is he a vegeta? Did he like used to be an enemy then became a friend?
Speaker 2: Oh, Mike, everyone used to be of enemy Vegeta and Yakuza and everyone INDs up becoming your best friend. Well I haven't got to that part yet, but I will assume I will eventually be best friends with smoaed Joe, Despitejo's obvious efficiencies as a person, which we all know.
Speaker 1: Coward, I say, Joe, I did not say. I said the guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll say it right to your face, Samoa Joe. Just like the game of where It's all over again, this is a game where I'm like, oh, this is hitting the spot right now now. Uh, it is simple. You are gomachma. It's an RPG, so guess what you have amnesia? He doesn't remember anything, and so he finds himself on an island and he does the only logical thing, which is there's some pirates. I should take over that gang and be a pirate now.
Speaker 4: And oh my god, wait a second.
Speaker 2: This was the plot of that crystal uh, the coke crystal coconut thing from.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's the same plot. Somebody I thought they were a pirate it Uh.
Speaker 2: It is uh, like I said, pretty simple, like you're you know, it's an action beat him up kind of game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I find that to be very fun. I love the turn based combat in Infinite Wealth.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This I think is probably more similar previous Yakus games, but like, uh like I said, I played some zero. This is immediately more punchy fast, like you just you feel more capable immediately. It's just it's trying to get into the good stuff faster because this is like a side story. The way it's really hitting though, is Goro. You know, Maduma is just very very kind as a character and always is trying to find the like the most compassionate way to handle every situation. And it's just so nice to be playing a game like that right now. And you know, there's a little kid that kind of is like, hey, you know, I have the really bad asthma. I've never left this island. Can you help me do that? And that's like your first goal. And then quickly you find like some of your old Yakuza buddies and they are you know, they're like, oh my god, I can't you remember us. But we're going to take you to mad Atlantis on this this crazy island that has all this stuff, and you're like, okay, and it just keeps building and building, and I think it's just a really solid Let's take the stuff that we have from these Yakuza games, we just made all this Hawaii stuff. We let's kind of focus on a couple of things. Let's give you ce combat very similar to Assassin's creed for and kind of just let you loose, and it kind of it nails all that stuff. It's not anything spectacularly, but it nails all that stuff where if you are into these characters and into this world, it's I think it's kind of a can't miss game. I would really recommend it.
Speaker 4: What about somebody like me who's played a little bit here and there, but not too much of any of them. You think this is one to stick my teeth and you think I should maybe play at Yaka is a zero first or even an Infinite Well first over this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would probably play Infinite Wealth first or one of the other ones. Kind of start where you want to start. I think once you have your footing in the series, then going to one of these side stories probably makes sense at that point. But I would probably recommend this one over like, because this one just seems like it doesn't really have any of the rough edges some of the other side stories have. It's just all around really solid.
Speaker 4: Is just one of any old Sega Arcade games too?
Speaker 2: I think it does. Yeah, I'm trying to remember. I feel like I saw those I was like trying to run I random aast them. I think I'll look it up. Yeah, yeah, it definitely did. I just can't remember what it was. But yeah, I think it's surprisingly good. Where I was like, I bet I'm gonna get bored of this, and now it just moves along. It does like kind of go at its own pace at the beginning, where you are going to go from one story beat to to the next, and then there's a lot of like fighting in between. But they so they take their time setting things up. But I thought that setup was all pretty you know, pretty good in terms of getting me on board with caring about the characters. And now I have my cool little crew of you know, there's the tough guy that of course he was on the other side and I beat him up and I beat him up so good, and then now he's my first mate and you do that over and over again because it's a yak Kuza game. So yeah, I think I highly recommend it to anyone.
Speaker 1: That's in the series. Fairly linear grub.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so so far, I've only just kind of gotten to Matlantis. I wonder if it opens up a little bit at that point. But I think that for a game like this, I think you want to be a little bit more linear, just kind of like, you know, get build the content, make that as ghost possible, and shovel it over to me. And that's what it's been so far.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. I think we should all go to Hawaii. We should just do it like a building exercise.
Speaker 4: I really, I really want to. And I hang out with a dolphins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just I swam with the dolphins in Jamaica, but I've never been Hawaii with those dolphins.
Speaker 1: So in Hawaii, yeah, please, please let's do that. Oh God, I need to recharge on an island. I won't even make us go to the Disney Resort. I would appreciate if we did, but I won't make us. Now, Mike, I know that Native Hawaiians feel some type of way about the Dole Plantation, but there is a pretty cool hedge maze at the Doll Plantation where they grow pineapples. Would you be okay going there?
Speaker 4: Only if I can still be an ally to the Hawaiian people. If they don't want me to, I will not do it, all right, Well, no, thank you?
Speaker 2: He just doesn't want to be around fruit. Come on, don't let this one.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 4: The arcade game they added to this one is The Ocean Hunter, which is basically just House of the Dead but with fish. It also thematically very appropriate. That sounds really incredible.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, during the dump truck this week, when we have the catch up with Backlar, we should just tell him we've already decided we're going to Hawaii for yeah.
Speaker 4: Flights, and it'll show up in the expense thing and he'll laugh exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, sounds they have microphones out in Hawaii and the Giant Bomb Lulau's great.
Speaker 4: What's what's your favorite piece of media set in Hawaii? Hard Ticket to Hawaii? Uh Oh, it's a good movie.
Speaker 1: Giant Bomb. Game of the Year twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: I mean Leland Stitch is very good. Getting Sarah Marshall was a fun movie.
Speaker 2: That's dick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we saw his dick in his puppets and thoose aren't the same thing.
Speaker 2: No, No, they're not. You're right?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: All right, Well I liked Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 4: Did that sound bite?
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna have to talk to our own HR department after that and we'll be back with some news.
Speaker 1: After this quick bricky break breaking news everyone. Uh oh, let me play the music first. We've lost Dan. We can't find him. He might have fallen into a hole, shoot hole, maybe fell into his toilet.
Speaker 2: Maybe walked out the wrong door and fell down a story.
Speaker 1: Because one day we'll find Dan and may or maybe Dan will find his way back to us.
Speaker 2: I always preferred Chris anyhow, Yeah, Chris was great.
Speaker 1: I hope Steve has some snacks prepared so Steve doesn't have to starve everything. But hey, who knows anyway. Jeff cub the news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got some news here plenty to talk about. Let's get into it. GTA six news. Rockstars are reportedly planning roadblocks slash Fortnite style user generated content. Rockstars are reportedly met with top Roadblocks and Fortnite creators to discuss building custom game experiences within GTA six. They're planning to allow creators to modify GTA six's environment and assets to incorporate their own IP. This move follows rockstars acquisition of CFX dot Ra, the group behind popular modding tools for GTA five and red Dead Redemption two. GTA five role playing has seen a surge in popularity as well. Blah blah blah, this is not wouldn't be too shocking. You can kind of do this already in GTA five to a certain degree. There are a lot of like custom games that people build and then you share the code, you go in there and play it. But of course I think they want to amplify that because they want this game to last for twenty years. You know, the last one lasted for more than ten. They want this one to last probably for twenty and a big way to fuel that is well, what are other games that lasted for twenty years? Roadblocks came out in two thousand and six. I think like we could do that, and of course they could this also just like you know, supercharges your your earnings, your revenue because you got a lot of content that people can sell in your game. You know, you give them a cut, but then you take a cut of it as well, and they're making content for you. So I think this is kind of inevitable. Is it something that you guys think is what you want from a GTA online too or whatever?
Speaker 1: I mean, don't know, I don't know what what I personally want from GTA online.
Speaker 4: To be honest, it almost it almost can't be for me in some ways, I got you know it, that's just not really what I'm looking for. Probably one of these I think it makes a ton of sense, right, Like, what helped GTA five be such a big success, a bigger success than its predecessors, which were already huge. They found a way to grow by doing the whole online social thing, right, that was a big deal.
Speaker 2: Well, and now, as we know, it's not enough to just make another one of the last thing that was very popular. You got to find another way to have this kind of exponential growth. So yeah, going deeper into the whole UGC thing just is kind of the next logical step in a lot of ways, right. I Mean, I think if any like if any game could do this, they would because we look at how the earnings potential of stuff like roadblocks, so hey, if we could do that, we absolutely would. But most games can't pull this off. Grand Theft Auto obviously is one of these games that can do this. They have the platform to support this sort of business model, So yeah, them going this way doesn't surprise me too much. And you know, really, to put things in perspective. Those Roadblocks games, like some of the most popular ones, they have McDonald's happy meal deals, like where I will go to They'll take my kids to have to get happy meals, and I'll be like, what is this toy? And I'm like, wait a second, and it took me like it took me like looking at it, like it doesn't say roadblocks anywhere on there the deals with the people who made the game inside a Roadblocks It's crazy, but like that's how big it is. Kids are obsessed. There's hundreds of millions of players that that is where like the next big thing in gaming can happen. It's in these UGC platforms. So I think being one of if you can do it, you want to do it because that way, when someone makes the next Doda or whatever, maybe it happens inside of Grand Theft Auto and they can just glimb themselves onto that and take a lot of the earnings. It kind of sounds perverse and not great when you really let out like that, but that's what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead, Mike.
Speaker 4: As is gonna say, somebody's going to make a Pokemon like but with the street workers, aren't they?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh, Yeah, someone's going to take away all the medicine and required medication from people that need it and just stick them on a farm.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But that's kind of thing. Is like I almost went it all to like still be in theme with GTA, but it's it's not gonna be that, right, And I guess it kind of has to not be that you're gonna have to be able to do almost anything to it. It's it's you know, it's like what Fortnite has become roebucks, it's going to be a platform upon itself, and GTA Online already kind of was that this is really going to be that.
Speaker 1: I was there. I initially took issue Greb when you were talking about how they're going to rely on you GC, but I didn't factor in that they could those users could potentially earn some type of revenue. Oh so that's okay, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you want you want the split to be better than it is for roadblocks obviously too, But I mean this does feel like, you know, we're here, like you know, the promise of modding and improving games was always like, you know, if we could capture the value here, this would be great. Well, they've done that now, and uh, you know, my Minecraft. I don't know if people like look into like how Minecraft works these days, that Minecraft marketplace is just constantly refreshed with new stuff from their community creators. It's a store. Those people get a cut. It is their full time job to make that stuff. Yeah, it's gonna be the same way for Grand Theft Auto.
Speaker 1: Without it, you know, like prop hunt is across so many different games and modes now that originally started out as like a Gary's mod type of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, and then we'll get a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna happen. Someone is gonna make the next viral sensation out of the next GTA online.
Speaker 2: I think if fans hear this though, and they feel a little anxiety, like I don't, I don't blame them because this is a different thing than the Grand Theft Auto made by rock Star that they fell in love with, right, so, you know, it is a siren song that a company like Rockstar and take To can't ignore. They are clearly investing in it. By the acquisitions that they're making at CFX dotre and the role playing server people that they purchased, they are going all in on UGC. So like, if you're looking around by oh, okay, well, are they gonna leave me behind? There's a chance. Yeah, absolutely, there's a chance they're going to leave behind the traditional player that wants a Grand Theft Auto. In a lot of ways they already have, based on supporting GTA online, over making like expansions for GTA five, something they did with all the previous Grand Theft Auto games, or even just making other games. Right, they used to release a game every year. They haven't done that since Grand Theft Auto five. They've released like one game since then. So yeah, like if you are anxious about that, this is part of that process. But then there are still developers out there. You're just talking about Yakuza. Most people just like making those games and not like going following the following a lot of these trends. They just want to keep making the games they're making, so that stuff will happen. But maybe rock maybe Rockstar and Grand Theft Auto will be permanently different.
Speaker 1: Why does a game like Dreams that is all UGC, how come that doesn't take off? Versus like a roadblocks you just need like you.
Speaker 2: Need that lightning rod, right, you need that something like that central gravitational pull to something and then you build around that, you know, roadblocks. I guess was like maybe it's thing was it was completely free and easy to use and it.
Speaker 4: Was so kid focused. Yeah, yeah, it was free and easily accessible to kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but doing it with mine Craft obviously Minecraft is Minecraft, so of course that was gonna work. And Fortnite same thing.
Speaker 1: Dreams is also never on PC.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. Yeah, stuck on huge detriment there, yep about it. All right, let's get into some Nintendo news. A Nintendo Switch game vouchers, you know. Actually, let's start this off by talking about, well, what do you guys think Nintendo Switch two games are going to cost? You think they're gonna go up to seventy dollars kind of across the board for Nintendo published games.
Speaker 4: Some variable pricing even on the Switch one, so there'll be some of that. But yeah, I think we're gonna see a lot more seventy dollars. Games like Mario Kart will cost seventy dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, they're gonna have other ways to make more money, kind of stealth price increases here. That is what these next two stories are about. Nintendo Switch game vouchers, the offer that gets you like two games for one hundred dollars, so you could buy two sixty dollars games excuse me using these vouchers, and you save twenty bucks or like, let's say you've got the Tiers of the Kingdom with that, you would save you know, the twenty bucks just on that game, and then ten bucks on another game, so a total of thirty dollars worth of savings. Well, this offer is not going to work with Switch two games. Nintendo has clarified that it's switched game voucher's program will not apply to games released for the upcoming Switch to console. The game vouchers program allows players to purchase two vouchers. Blah blah blah. You know, there's a chance they have a voucher program for Switch to specifically. There's also a chance they are just phasing this out and aren't going to do this anymore, so people who always took advantage of this won't be able to do so. On the other side of things, once you do make a purchase, you used to get something at least on the e shop, and really, I think maybe actually got this. If you purchase physical games and like when you registered it with your console, but I can't remember Nintendo is ending It's mind Nintendo gold points switch E Shop rewards scheme. So you buy something on the e shop. When you do, you get like a ten percent of that in like a worth of gold coins. And those gold coins are currency that you could just use on the e shop to purchase games. So like four hundred and eighty gold coins was four dollars and eighty cents, so you would get that discounted off your next game. I really like this because it was like, well, you can't trade in your digital games, but you get this little you know, bonus on the end, so I can use that to kind of buy my next game. So it's like I'm almost getting a little bit of a trade in value with some of these games as I'm playing them. They're getting rid of that as well. They're phasing it out. So this is another way that people had saved money buying digital games, and they are getting into that another kind of stealth price increase.
Speaker 3: Man, I didn't realize here. I just like seeing this headline. I logged in, and I didn't realize every month, I've had tons and tons of these platinum and gold coins expiring, like just tons of them, and so like, are the gold ones gonna just like if I have thirty five seventy five of my thing, now are they gonna be gone?
Speaker 4: And they're gonna have twelve months they said once that's right to redeem them. So you're gonna have some time to redeem them. But then yeah, I venture they're gonna got away, so you know, use it or lose it. Oh wow, man, that the voucher thing is a little bit of a of a whatever. I'm not shocked by that new console. Like I said that these games by cost a little bit. There might be a new thing there might not. The gold that sucks. I mean, that was just this nice little kick back, this nice little bonus, And that's just, you know, often what I would use to like, you know, get DLC for something or this little indie game or maybe something was on sale, right, it just felt like this nice thing. It's just bizarre when companies do this when they're doing really well, right, like it made a ton of money off the switch. They're about to make a lot of money off the switch too. It It kind of reminds me of like circa twenty nineteen when Disney was, you know, making a zillion dollars off of Marvel and Disney and Star Wars. And then they're like, uh, hey, you know how parking was free at Disney hotels. We're gonna start charging you for that, right, just like all this really weird penny pitching kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: You're right, thank you for that reference that we all have gone through.
Speaker 4: This is exactly what I think of. Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly, so it it you know, it's at the pace in the world. No, but it rose me the wrong way. What a what a random thing to get rid of now, and it's it's hard not just see it as well. They know that so many people are going to come back and start making all these purchases, whether this program exists or not. Why not get rid of it?
Speaker 2: I mean it really is just like a really quiet way to effectively raise the average sales price for everything that they sell without having to do the big splashy we are raising the prices across the board or you know, you know, you're just getting rid of a deal. You know, that's that's what that looks like. But because by doing this, people have to spend on average, you know, about three to five bucks more, I bet, and all that adds up. I think part of this, you know, the motivation here, I think is what Mike mostly nailed, is that this is a company just trying to make even more money. That made a lot of money. They got to keep growing, so they're doing that. But also I think, you know, well, they don't know what they're going to be able to set the hardware at in relation to tariffs, so saving or making more money on the software will be very beneficial to them, I think in the long run. So they're trying to save money where they can, and that has led them to make these decisions, all right. The next one star Fox artist says he wants GameCube titles star Fox Assault to be playable on switch To. This is the key in the Mura, the original artist behind star Fox, and he has publicly expressed his hope that star Fox Assault and Steel Diver sub Wars, which some of us really treasure, will be ported to the Nintendo switch To. He made this request on the twentieth anniversary of star Fox Assault and the ninth anniversary of Steel Diver sub Wars. He's worked on a bunch of games. To me, like there was those rumors back with the switch pro is happening that one of the GameCube could get added to Nso this doesn't read to me as him teasing anything. I think this reads to me as him like genuinely being like, that would be awesome, But I don't know. I'm hopeful, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Know's I read it as I wish they would. I think Star Fox Assault is really underrated. I think it's got a problem that you're just not a lot of people seem to care about. When I bring this game up, most people think, I mean Star Fox Adventures. Yeah, And then when I say no, I mean the other one, and then they go, yeah, I said, I like the other one for the GameCube, They're like, what other one for the Yeah?
Speaker 1: So what I'm thinking right now.
Speaker 3: The ones where it looked like they were going back to the ship combat and then it was like it still wasn't really that and it wasn't really great.
Speaker 4: It was to see it is, Yeah, it's like a lot of on foot third person shooter stuff, and it's you know, right before we figured out third person shooter stuff better with Resident Evil four, or like maybe it was after that, but that didn't become the standard. It's a little weird, but I think it's fun in a lot of ways, and it has a good star Fucks flavor to it crystals in it. So Sean likes that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's why he's popping off, right.
Speaker 4: But yeah, if there's not like GameCube nso, I can't imagine this being a game that gets a really Big Boy remaster.
Speaker 2: That's what I brought I brought that up because this does not feel like a game that, like you said, gets a Big Boy remaster or even any remaster. This feels like if there is no game Cube NISO, this doesn't happen. Like that's kind where I would be with this, something like.
Speaker 4: Maybe they'll be like, oh, what's like, do you Starbucks Avengers and as Salt as a two for one? But that's maybe a little complicated because that was a rare game originally they have the whole all the rights to it, though I guess I don't know. But again, like I think both those games are neat and interesting and weird ways, I don't know how much faith they have that a larger audience is going to care about them.
Speaker 1: Now this looks cool, I'd play this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's weird, it was Damco who made it, and it was a little bit later on the GameCube, right, so, and I think so many people just Adventures was so wild because that was the one that was, you know, like a Zelda game, and it was originally dinosaur Planing. It was going to come on on sixty four. Everyone remembers that one. But yeah, then the assault just happened later. And it's weird in a bit more of a normal way, so it doesn't stick in people's minds as much. But it's not bad. I was surprised when I played it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played a little bit like Custom Robo. It was weird.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say it looked like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's better than people give it credit for. Actually usually, Yeah, you know a game I just I don't know why this came to my mind. That TROC game for Game Boy Advance is just a contra game. I never knew.
Speaker 4: Really, that sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, we should do like this is the run for that game, or oh my god, that could be that could be cool.
Speaker 4: Do you want a little kind of breaking weird news thing here that everyone away? Hollow Nights Silk song listing is gone from the US E Shop Warrior sixty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's see if the Xbox Live listing for it still there. Yes, that is so still on Xbox. It just might be them. This could be nothing. Maybe they're getting ready for a switch.
Speaker 1: You're right, it's nothing, Mike, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I plainted.
Speaker 4: This game, damn it, I'm telling you. But yeah, I don't know. Hey, it's something happening with Silk Song. Anyways.
Speaker 2: I think we're like two thousand and seventy five days since Mike Manati played Silk Song.
Speaker 4: I think we did time it out. It's a wild Yep, there.
Speaker 2: It is all right, Hey, we'll see. You're right. That could probably just be nothing. But maybe they'll re announce it and they'll just be switched to. That would be weird, though. Why wouldn't that game be able to run on switch?
Speaker 4: I mean, well, but maybe primarily I mean, I do think one of the best news we have for this is maybe as a switch to launch game, and maybe that's a little bit of what the hold up is.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think that's definitely possible. All right, let's keep moving here. Two big Final Fantasy remikes are reportedly still in active development. Final Fantasy nine Final Fantasy Tactics remix. We've been hearing about those forever. Both were in the Nvidia League. At least one of them was in the NVDA. Both were, and everything else in that in video leak was was real, even even Titan Fall three, which was actually the code name for Apex Legends for a while. So when Titanfull three was in there, that kind of Mart's.
Speaker 4: Four was in there, yeah, before it was announced, and I was like, they're not making a Kingdom Hearts four already?
Speaker 2: They sure were, yep, exactly. So, Uh, there's definitely a lot of smoke there to assume that these things were real. But it's been a long time and Square Enix has gone through a lot, so maybe, you know, maybe these things fizzled out, never really happened, they canceled them or something like that doesn't seem to be the case. Apparently they are still in the works according to recent reports. Yeah, I think that Final Fantasy nine remake and Final Fantasy Tactics remakes will both do very well. They're not going to be like Final Fantasy seven, but they could be, Like I always say this, soon, maybe they'll be more like Persona. Is that the one you pointed to, Mic is like the likely thing for like a Final Fantasy nine.
Speaker 4: You'll be more like that persona three remake. Yeah, this scope I'm expecting where it'll be largely the same, but definitely some rougher edges, smoothed out, some kind of gameplay improvements modern you know, new voice cast, right, things like that presentation upgraded. That's what this one needs. You don't need to, you know, turn it into a three parter giant thing like you did with seven. I love Fan Fantasy nine. It's one of my favorite games, you know. I've been so hopeful for this since that in Nvidio League, and I did kind of get myself a little prepared for this just not to happen, because I haven't heard it announced since then. But yes, so this is very good news for me. Same thing with Tactics. I've never actually played through all of Tactics, and again, I've kind of been waiting hopefully for another remake instead of just diving into either the PS one version or the PSP war the Lions version. So I would love for a new, definitive way to play that game on modern consoles.
Speaker 2: For sure, it's probably been twice as long since the release of that PSP game as it was from the PS one.
Speaker 4: The Lions was probably like two thousand and seven or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's War of the Lions. All right, give me the actual tax Final Fantasy Tactics game. We all want advance, Give me advance. Yeah, of course, give me a snowball fight Judges.
Speaker 4: Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy.
Speaker 2: This is the best video game podcast because we all say the right thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, do you guys want like an advanced remake? Er? You just want that? On Nso is that I just want to play advance episode? I have an an pocket. Why wouldn't just play it on?
Speaker 1: I finally went to see that.
Speaker 4: Or the lines of two thousand and seven, I was right, wow, okay, very press. I'm really smart.
Speaker 2: Who gives a shit about that nerd shit? A skater claims he's in a new Tony Hawk remaster about to come out. That's what matters to me. We've had rumors like this before, or someone like mentioned, you know, in the next Tonyawk. I think even Tony Hawk said something like along those lines, like something more is gonna happen. Professional skateboarder Tyshawn Jones has claimed that he will appear in an upcoming unannounced Tony Hawk game remaster. Jones, who appeared in Tonyak's pro Skater one plus two, stated this on the Breakfast Club podcast, which is I only ever see in YouTube shorts. Tony Hawk himself has ented a new at a new game. In an Instagram post, Hawk tease the series had a future, and in a YouTube interview he said he was talking to Activision but working on something, or about working on something. I'm like at a point with Tony Hawk where I am afraid to get my hopes up because I want this so bad.
Speaker 3: I would take this over f F seven remake caliber ones of every Final Fantasy game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you would.
Speaker 4: Guy who doesn't like Fantasy but like Tony Hawk.
Speaker 2: I get, but like, No, Tony's pro Skater three and four are actually better than any Final Fantasy. Yes, why did Jane?
Speaker 3: I really like rules? Sorry, Mike, we don't make the rules. We don't make the rules Tony Fantasy.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 4: Take Tony Hawk's pro Skate Okay, it's great, proving pro Skinner four alone over the entire.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: I can't do this, guys, I don't want to. I don't want to pick my favorite Tony.
Speaker 4: You didn't have to be one of the other. You just made it like you do. J really offend you that.
Speaker 3: Tony Hawks Downhill Jam is better than any final Fantasy.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can't Jesus Dad, I can't do this. I thought we were being serious, we were before. Yes, I really hope to do this.
Speaker 4: I definitely want to play Tonyhooks pro Skater three again, super super Actually just bought to Next pro Skater four on the PS two again yesterday because I do want to play that again. It has been a while. You know, it's always so funny when actors accidentally let these things out right because they just like don't know secure the game industry is like take that with a professional skateboarder and it's like times teds totally yeah, like of course this is how we hear about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, oh, it's cool I got skinned in a video game.
Speaker 2: What right? Yeah? I don't know if this is coming out. I hope it's soon. It's been quite a bit of time from Tonyhawks pro Skater one plus two, but it definitely seemed like Activision was not super interested in immediately following up, so it's not it doesn't feel like they got right to work. Also, the team that make made Tonyhawks pro Skater one plus two is gone. They have been subsumed into a Blizzard and they made like a World of Warcraft bullshit. So they're doing all the Diabo stuff Diablo stuff right exactly, So like who even knows who's making this again if it's real, But boy, that Tony expres Skater one plus two is kind of a perfect game.
Speaker 4: And it they did that three, which is a perfect game. That would be amazing. Yeh, Final Fantasy is great. Did you see the new Magic the Gathering text?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I I I resisted them releasing a doctor who pack And I'm like, all right, I've I fought off the Magic the Gathering infection that is taking over the games industry frenzy. The frenzy. Yes, And then I see this fucking Coronal Fantasy ship and I'm like, I was just cloud whatever, but then I saw But then I saw my boy, Titis.
Speaker 4: You're a titous guy. You're not a tightest guy.
Speaker 1: I used to say, Titus, but then people will just get on my case about saying Titus so I say, Titis, So I just want to scout. I know you're worked up as well. All right, Okay, I know we all want to see a car big.
Speaker 3: Natural Grub's a big Titus guy. Now, I'm ah.
Speaker 4: Oh the game company he makes off his Blake Club Games make him play?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What say? They made Superman sixty four.
Speaker 4: Superman and RoboCop.
Speaker 2: Actually, okay, they're like our mass Titus. Yeah, I got a Titanus. Never mind, I was gonna say Tennis shop, but that's good, yeah or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Would you guys be disappointed they just skipped the Thug because I know I bet Thug would do really well.
Speaker 1: I like Thug.
Speaker 4: Disappointed they I'd be disappointed they skipped three and four. I would still enjoy a Thug remake. Give me especially three reason.
Speaker 1: Let me punch Eric Sparrow in the fucking face again. Darn that? Would that? Would heal this country?
Speaker 4: The Lesser Birdman The fun Fantasy decks are up on Amazon. I got buy him now. They've been selling out everywhere. No one else buy them. This is just for me.
Speaker 2: Go outside, Nerd, I don't have time. If you're worthless, chime ins all right, Company of Heroes like Reveal seventy dollars, like Jack style Jack game, make Jack Bop in a Oh my gosh, uh company heroes. Relic is making an advanced war style game. It looks pretty cool. It's called Earth's As. It comes out later this year. I like Advanced Wars.
Speaker 3: I want to play it for two hours, like I did these Switch remaster and then think, oh, I could just be playing Shoot Advance Warts Advance Wars.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a big problem with this genre, right, is that people are so faithful that a lot of times it's like the original is just better to go play. And that's been the way for a long time. I remember an early mobile phone game was just Advance Wars, but with kind of shitty math where it's like, oh, this isn't as satisfying because the attacks don't feel as good. I'm like, you got to have that good math in there. I think Relic can probably nail this genre, but can they do anything that feels new and kind of push it forward. We'll see, I hope so. Uh Sony my final Fantasy. Sony's PS five live service title Fair Games has reportedly slipped. According to Gian Bomb journalist Jeff Grubbs, Sony and Haven Studios upcoming PS five live service game, Fair Games hasn't been internally delayed to twenty twenty six. It's a game that they were maybe thinking about releasing this year. It's it's been pushed. So, you know, Fair Games from Jade Raymond's studio was in Haven. Is that the name of their studio.
Speaker 4: Formerly of of Oculus Games, right?
Speaker 2: I think Stadia No, no stadium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Stadia like studio or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yep, that you know, all those great Stadia first party games and then before that very long time at Ubisoft. Although I don't think she's like actually shipped a game since Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I think that's right. I think that's what people aways bring up.
Speaker 4: What did she She was managing director on Unit Best Creed Unity.
Speaker 3: Splinter Cell, Conviction to the game and former office. Was she involved with that in some way? Because I remember I said it on a meeting with her for that game.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll see, Yeah, it's not listed in her look at Pea, but she would have been in Ubi Soft here apparently she He's got a credit for Star Wars Battle from two. She's s VP group general manager. Yeah, it's just it's been a long time since, like, yeah, she was like this person heavily associated with us.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like it's like that position that I'm blaking on the charted. Woman's name, right, Jimmy Henning. Right. They very notable in the two thousands, and then it's like something happens. It's just hard for these people to ship games through a series of seemingly unfortunate events.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Either way, player games not coming anytime soon really one of one of the reasons we didn't see it in that state of play obviously, because it's just not ready if it's not coming out till next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say this, and I think we've all said this. I think putting a dollar sign in your company's logo's not cool.
Speaker 4: It's actually not good idea unless you're where mega my yeah game that is great, Okay, sure, sure.
Speaker 3: And an exclamation point killed it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say, Dan, no one else was brave enough on your Firescape thing.
Speaker 3: I should have Tetris warriorware. Yes, Oh, I mean personally, I would say, yeah, here's the problem with your your methodology. You guys just like Tetris counts as a whole franchise. Everything else is one game. Tetris, for some reason, gets this free. Tetris is a concept. Idea of Tetris is a feeling.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still reeling over Mary saying that Diablo two is more influential than Mario sixty four.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: I called her out on that last night. Okay, to be clear, I was. I was about to be like, well, Diablo two is pretty influential, Dad, what did it go against? And I was like, oh, yeah, it's more flutial than a literal miracle, like something that should not exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, fair games, whatever, we'll see, they'll talk about it. It's well, maybe they won't me it's a game that never comes out, but uh, it probably does it. It doesn't seem like they're canceling this particular live service game, even as they get scared off of a lot of other live service games. PlayStation says it's planning to release more family games like Astrobot. Astrobot popped off obviously because the it won the Game of the Year award. Just mean they've had a lot of support for it. It's doing well sales wise relative to other games of its ILK. I think Sony sees a chance here to slowly build up an audience that comes to PlayStation for family games, something that Nintendo is just dominated for decades at this point. So you think they can pull it off or is this something that like, without like a japan studio, they might have a more difficult time doing something like this.
Speaker 4: Sure could use the help from yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, if they trust the Astrobot team. Sure if they try and make some live service joints, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they definitely need to though, right, Like it always, I think there was always such a mistake the way that Xbox and Sony largely conceded the family games market to Nintendo and to these kind of you know, big PC games like row Box, like Minecraft. You know that stuff is on their console. Sure, but it's so different from you know, p S one, p S two, where a lot of these family friendly franchises were very heavily supported and promoted by PlayStation, like your your Crash Bandicoots and your Spiros and Wretch and Clings, and it's like, uh, it's like Cooper is that his name? It's like Cooper's not right? You know, Sony Sony has done some things. You know, they still have Ratchet Plank going. We had that sack Boy game, but Astrobot really seems like it hit and whilked them.
Speaker 1: Up a bit.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, even beyond that, just all those franchises being in there, like we we saw eight Escape is still really fun just as a concept even in there. I hope that they look at kind of what Capcom's doing and what Sega's doing bringing some old franchises back, and they do more of that, and yeah, like there's no reason why Ape Escape couldn't still work really well now. Or you know, like how Astrobot's a newer thing, Let's let's maybe get some more new things going that could be nice too.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask, do y'all think they would kind of go into some of these family games through the lens of an Astrobot, of like, hey, you saw ape Escape there, this is ape Escape Bot with astro.
Speaker 4: I don't know where are man Escape is also going to be in Battle your Solid Delta too, so it's just it escapes everywhere, but in a new game. Now, I think I'd rather just make it eight Escape. I don't think I need the bot trappings all the time.
Speaker 2: Then okay, okay, yeah, I think that's that'd be ideal. Just kind of use it as a jumping platform to go back to the shoot thing. I think i'd be great anyway. PlayStation is going to do more family games. Sure, that is one of their responses to me. There's a slight response to hey, the live service stuff isn't working very well, we should try something different, you be soft says that's for pussies. They're like, we're just gonna keep making lives service games and open world games year after year. And that's the direct quote from Uskimo. The whole thing I said is from use there. Uh the company's future strategy is focusing on open world action adventure games and live service games. Uh huh wow, what that's just incredible. That's like as the Titanic's going down, saying that their strategy is to just find more icebergs.
Speaker 1: You just keep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we're just gonna keep doing the same thing. I mean, it really just says like, oh, they really don't have anything else, and Assassin's Creed Shadows doesn't work. Oh boy, They're in deep.
Speaker 4: Deep dude courts wallets.
Speaker 2: Oh the uniqueness of my digit has never been more unique.
Speaker 4: Dan, Oh god, it's just it's just absolutely bonkers. You know, like the one Life Service game they ever really had was Rainbow six Seeds, which is ten years old. Now they're kind of trying to you know, soft reboot.
Speaker 5: X.
Speaker 4: We'll see how you know. I bet that'll help a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's a backlash first before anything else.
Speaker 4: It hurts it actively. It could that could very easily happen. But in meantime, what what what Life Service game? Right? What could they po have? Oh my god, they tried hyper Escape. Scalling Bones was like, was so pathetic. Nobody even wanted to talk about that. Everybody talked about Suicide Squad and Concord failing because it was kind of interesting. Scalling Bones people kind of forgot that. Even Lucy's told you to play it right, God X defiant, I mean, what are we talking about here? I don't know. It almost sings pathetic, and it's just kind of like, well, maybe if we say this is the plan, people still believe that and like that buzzword enough long enough for us to get bought by ten cent or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe we'll get an open world just dance game.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that could be something. Yeah. I think this just really says that even if they do have other ideas, they think those ideas are so far away that they really just can't even bring them up right now. They have to commit to the games they have coming out in the next couple of years, which are probably all live service and open world action games. So what choice do they have other than to double down on believing in that It's It's wild though, because it clearly is just going to kind of keep going in the same direction where even if you do have a big hit, let's say Assassin's Creed Shadows is the biggest Assassin's Creed game ever, that really feels like it's only buying borrowed time at a certain point, and when the next time there's a slight slip on Assassin's Creed, or if the far cry doesn't the next far cry doesn't doesn't work, they're just going to be right back here and people are going to be really short with Ubisoft games going forward, so they have to try something else. They just have to, all right, I had no choice, says shoe Hey Yoshida after talking about his role of moving over to indie games because he said, otherwise I would have been pushed out of the company. This comes from games Beat, Mike. What were the full details on the story. This is an interview that Dean did with shoe Hey Yoshida, right, and I kind of got into like minit kind of what we all assumed that there was some maybe not shenanigans, but definitely corporate politicking that led to shoe Hey Yo Yo should have stepping down from being president of Worldwide Studios taking over the indie role.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was actually sorry Dean published over the weekend. He talked to Shoehy believe it the Dice Awards. Uh. Yeah, I haven't actually talked to Dean since because we started work today. Basically I've been spending time here with you all. But yeah, the context I kind of got from was like, is kind of implied, Hey, yeah, you kind of work over on the indie side now or see use At least that was the feeling Gee was getting from it, right, So yes, it didn't necessarily seem like a jump he wanted to make but was sort of forced to making. Have you seen the breaking news in the chat here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I'm trying to make sense of it. Yeah, okay, just we'll wrap up the Shoe Hay thing that that was weird. It's weird that that's the way it worked. Like he said, basically said, Jim Ryan was going to force me out of the company. So people who don't like Jim Ryan have plenty more to go on. But Jim Ryan's not there anymore, So what are you going to do with that? But Shoe was always a very cool guy, and I'm glad he stuck around. It seems like he really did improve PlayStation's relationships between themselves and indies, which was at a bit of a low point before he took over that role. There was a lot of complaints from indy's about how that whole thing didn't work all right. Uh, this is Warrio sixty four sharing a reset era thread. The reset era thread says Marvel Rivals director shares that he and his team were all just laid off. What all right, I'm gonna read this whole thing from Thaddeus Sasser on what looks like LinkedIn uh, and his his like little title is I helped create I helped create billion dollar franchises, which they did. Uh. He says, this is such a weird industry. My stellar, talented team just helped deliver an incredibly successful new franchise in Marvel Rivals for net Ease Games, and we're just laid off. Oh well, times are tough all over. Let's find these incredible, incredible people new jobs because we all need to eat, right, so he started. Then he goes on to point out some people that like worked with them today. I'm going to start with the inspiring Gary McGee for example. Is this like, is this the main development team or it's just like one of the support teams that was working on it. I honestly don't know. This is breaking right now. So this of Jack Burrows, also from LinkedIn, was a level designer on Marvel Rivals, and like his company he worked for, is net Ease.
Speaker 1: I saw the.
Speaker 4: Jack I saw Jack Burrows either earlier today or yesterday. That one I saw before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember Scott laid off from my job working on Marvel Rivals with net Ease. Was an enormous pleasure to work with my American co workers who joined me in this sad.
Speaker 1: Calling American coworkers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just couldn't dodge the big boot. I guess, no matter how big the success of the gig. I mean, maybe it's not the whole main team. It's probably what I have to assume, because that game is making like a billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the hell?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gotta be like there's probably a lot of teams involved with that, and maybe it's one like a shitty case where they're like, oh, well, you know, you guys helped get this game off the ground. Now we don't need you as much anymore.
Speaker 2: That Fatty as Sasser is he the shoot director of that game.
Speaker 4: Right, because that's the missing thing from the set here. Marvel Rivals director and team laid off according to posts we.
Speaker 3: Met, was that supposed to be the director that we met outside the we hung out with it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That that isn't the same guy that we met.
Speaker 4: No, so this must be a separate team, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like, just I just googled like Thatt as Sasser director and he's done interviews as the director of Marvel Rivals working at net ease recently.
Speaker 1: According to Jesse Norris, from what I can see, they were the level design team, so maybe they are just a specific team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a game designer. Yeah, but Okay, it wasn't like an external team though, it wasn't net eas team. All right, very very very strange, kind of inexplicable. I think, yeah, this industry being very weird. It's a very good way of putting it.
Speaker 4: Tell what if even Marvel Rivals isn't gonna make it? And the whole live service thing, we're done?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: That feels like, oh, we're cooked, aren't we.
Speaker 1: I skeated it about this, but I was scrolling through TikTok and then I got one of those game ads that I don't know if is real or not, and I had a very excited person that might have been pretending to be a streamer, they could have been, and he was just saying.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Oh my god, the red gooner's in the base. We gotta get rid of the gooner, all right.
Speaker 1: We just gave him a backshot. I'm like, oh my god, what is happening.
Speaker 2: They know what they're doing there, They.
Speaker 1: Know what they're doing. I just don't like any of it.
Speaker 2: Of course. All right, final story, A happy trails and rest in peace to Victor Antonoff, who was the influential designer and artist on Dishonored and Half Life two gets credited with a lot of the visual language of Half Life two and Dishonored. A lot of people came out of the woodworks to be like, it was awesome to work with Victor, really respected him, and this is a really sad thing. He was. He was in his fifties. I don't have this exact age here, but he was not some super old timer. This is just like, oh man, you can go at any time and you can have made Half Life two and that game doesn't feel like it's all that long ago and you can still pass away. So yeah, a shout out to Victor Antonov rest and peace. Sad story, but incredible, incredible body of work.
Speaker 4: Av A two is still one of my favorite games in But you know I was talking before with a vowed how important is for your games. You just look distinct and just the way City seventeen uh looks at that game, right, It's like I can look at any single square inch of that just immediately identify it as Half Life two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That just incredible combination of that, you know, sort of Eastern European brutalism with these like unsettling nineteen eighty four sci fi touches as well. It is so haunting, it is such an incredible atmosphere. It's a big part of what made you know, Halfway two so memorable. Of course, the gravity gun gets a lot of the credit, as it should, but the art in that game is just amazing.
Speaker 2: That does it for the news, jan I'm handing the show back over to you, folks.
Speaker 1: We put out a call for emails last week, and we got emails, and we're going to read them right after this. Fricky break emails. Pomcastagiant bomb dot com is the email addressed to send your emails too, And Hey, I got beef, I got beef, boys? What the fuck? Google?
Speaker 2: The fuck?
Speaker 1: Why would you suddenly decide if I am going to identify three things that are obviously spam, why are you going to throw the hard work of our audience, our community members into the fucking spam folder with all the actual other garbage that is that.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, you guys didn't You guys didn't look in the spam I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have access. So what the way it works is it gets forwarded to my inbox, so it only gets forwarded in my inbox if it gets in that inbox. So I don't have access to the BombCast spam folder.
Speaker 1: I I I thought I didn't need to look in there. Why why why did they do that.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say it, like, you know, because when I when I when last week, you guys like, oh we got no emails?
Speaker 4: Like that's weird. I want to throw in the spam folder. That was my first It's not judging, Jan I'm not saying.
Speaker 2: Judge why you didn't say anything. I mean, you want the credit now for helping, but it didn't help.
Speaker 4: I didn't help. I had my chance to help and I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is all this is your fault.
Speaker 4: This is actually my fault when you really think about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so Google, we got beef. I'm gonna check in the spam folder. So apologies if we missed your email last week and you were upset, I'm upset with you, dog. But anyway, we've had this email on this document for about three or four weeks now. Hi, Giant bomb Cast team. I'm writing on behalf of my husband, David B who's been a loyal listener of your podcast for years from San Diego, California. He often says, listening to you feels like being in a room with his close friends, and your episodes have been a trusted companion to him, whether he's out on a run drive or just winding down at home. His birthday's coming up on February nineteenth, and he'll be turning thirty two. He has no idea I'm writing to you, but I thought it'd be an unforgettable surprise if you could give him a quick shout out on an episode. Here's a fun question to consider for the podcast keeping at Birthday themed. If you could get give a gift to someone in any an in game item as a real life birthday present, what would it be and why? Thank you for all the laughs and amazing content you put out each every.
Speaker 2: Week, Katie, Happy Birthday, David B.
Speaker 1: I would give you David be a pow. We can't hear it, Mike, Okay, there it is.
Speaker 2: I guess think it's David Byrne.
Speaker 4: It's probably David Byrne.
Speaker 2: Could be Bowie, Yeah, no, he's I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you the news.
Speaker 1: After Oh shit, Oh what happened? Isn't it?
Speaker 4: Billie back?
Speaker 2: That's the news, David B.
Speaker 3: Give someone the uh you know the gimmick that Axel is in and Twisted Metal two, or you can.
Speaker 4: Time incredible how often you're thinking about Twisted Bell two. I'm not dislike it. I kind of respect it.
Speaker 2: But to be fair, and if I'm thinking about Twisted Metal two, I am thinking about Axel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've got a poster up there.
Speaker 3: It's just the flaming Eiffel Tower with Axel screaming, shooting missiles while running over Twister.
Speaker 4: It is. It's the most video game cover ever and I love it.
Speaker 2: So you remember, like the game insisting that we are aware that Axel is in constant page, so you would give them the gift of body horror.
Speaker 4: Axle Power. I think he's having fun.
Speaker 2: No one's ever screamed axle Power in agony. That's impossible.
Speaker 4: Axel should have at least about a health of the game, right, he is an exposed human man that is already injured. Yeah. The motorcycle man that's Ghosts has less mister is great. I like I think I did like Ghost. I think Ghost was my favorite.
Speaker 1: I would give you boys a floor chicken from Castlevania some good streaming rage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, that would be pretty good.
Speaker 2: I would get one of the glowing chests from Fortnite or Avowed and just who knows what's in there. I could just be like a patient about opening a chest that's glowing and humming and making noises. I think that would be I think.
Speaker 3: About like a grim wire, like you just keep it on a bookshelf and then pull it out. You're like, I wonder what four powers I got here?
Speaker 2: I mean obviously that would rule. Yeah, do my yard work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give you a choco bow from the hit and very important good series Final Fantasy. I'm just gonna start doing a Final Fantasy filibuster every chance I can that.
Speaker 2: That choke would do a kick flip. No, then get the fun out of here, Mike.
Speaker 1: I am kind of on your side with Final Fantasy, and you can't keep doing it.
Speaker 4: You can't sound like a nerve started it. Don't you do it?
Speaker 2: For of course you could do that?
Speaker 4: Was that what you got this month?
Speaker 1: Nice? Yeah?
Speaker 4: The American flags patriotic.
Speaker 2: It's because squaresofts coming to America.
Speaker 4: Going to say the choke, what's the joke? Mike must have spelled coming a different way? I mean the glitterists all.
Speaker 2: Right, next to email Donald Twang Brothers Brothers listen.
Speaker 4: I mean the Glitterists.
Speaker 2: That's the Clitus.
Speaker 4: That had to be the Blues Brothers. Not you get thumb Dan, I talk about final Fantasy for more than ten seconds. It's a big issue my foul fantasy fellow buster, which is fun to say. But no, they're allowed to bang on their soundboards and wave their nationalistic magazines at us, and Hill can't hit the button, which one.
Speaker 2: I thought, the one who has to get upset with a turn based energy is mentioned for a second that with the next story is about we're not what's better than you are?
Speaker 4: It's fantasy.
Speaker 2: Hey Bombers, Hey Mike.
Speaker 3: Speaking of nerd stuff, I thought of an analogy of why I hate Lord of the Rings, and it's it's imagine it in Star Wars the original trilogy, if everything was the same, but it just focused on the e Walks as the main story thing because they're both short. Well no, but it's just like there like like they're like I said, but the Hobbits are just so.
Speaker 4: Much a comment. Yeah, because they're both short, that's but they don't have powers or anything. But powers they're not like cool they do have powers, are you hate Star.
Speaker 3: Wars had Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and Darth Vader, Lord of the Rings rings about Bingle Mortensen.
Speaker 4: Maybe, like, what are Solo's powers being?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 4: Okay? Cool? Great?
Speaker 1: I do suggest everyone check out.
Speaker 4: There's a fun dark more Stanza than that.
Speaker 2: Actually, queed, I want to check which ones I got here. I'm sorry, Yeah, all right, that's what I got.
Speaker 1: There's a fun Darth Vader comic. I think the panel kind of went around the internet where he goes back to tattooing and he kills Watto. Anyway, next email comes from sent from my iPhone. Hey, bombers, please keep me anonymous as I can't afford to get fired.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I live in work in you know, Okay? I live in work at a company that has an overwhelmingly hardcore, let's say, deplorable workforce. I did not know this when I first started, and it really didn't show until around June of last year. By then, I was too entrenched in the job and dependent upon the paycheck. Now, as the world is crumbling, it's driving me insane and I feel immense guilt. I've been actively trying to find a new job, but nothing has materialized. And I don't have the savings to just quit it yet without having another job lined up. Do I start subtly sabotaging the business from within? Uh, you're giving me too many details, but there's still just.
Speaker 4: A happen when you started working for Ice Scott.
Speaker 1: There's a few good people here whose lives I wouldn't want to derail in the aftermath. Do I bite the bullet and quit and hope to find a new job sooner than that? Is staying until I find my next job? Selfish and a failure to the resistance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Sent from my iPhone.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear, any job you're working right now is going to send money. They control the government like they like you. There's no escape in it, so don't let your guilt screw up anything in your life.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Do you want to sabotage it slowly from the inside? Go to town? Yeah, knock yourself at that sounds like a fun time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Don't don't quit till you got something else lined up. Don't put yourself out, yeah yeah. Take care of yourself danger.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, take care of yourself. Be selfish in this instance.
Speaker 2: It's like, are you one of the dose kids or something?
Speaker 4: I would like support details.
Speaker 2: I guess are you one of EM's young boys in his boy army? Like one of them didn't realize, like how this is kind of some Nazi ship there over here.
Speaker 4: It's kind of weird and they're a big fan and writing into it.
Speaker 1: You know, would that be the weirdest thing to happen? You can? You can you get me.
Speaker 2: Off the anti depressant farm list if you're there, actually get us not go, or if you can't stay here, assign us to the same farm. Yeah, yeah, sign to the one where they have the podcasting farming.
Speaker 4: What we're doing, Yeah, we need lots of USB chords.
Speaker 1: I do not want to be on the podcast farm with other podcasters.
Speaker 4: No, that's true if they weren't other games podcast people was there.
Speaker 1: Like Ben Hansen, Yeah, Ben Hanson, I'd be all right, the kind of funny cruise. Sure, do not put me on the podcast farm with all these other Like I don't want to be next.
Speaker 4: To Joke to see a broken and talk to us.
Speaker 2: Hey did they find her? She was missing? Apparently?
Speaker 4: What I think? So I'm a little confused about that, Like, yeah, she tried to sew a cryptocurrency and then it failed.
Speaker 2: But like, is that really like her fault? It isn't the whole point of crypto. You're gambling. So the way it works these days there it's called a rug pole where like you know, you you introduce the new currency and then everyone buys it, and then you take that money that everyone like is like the fees from them buying it, and then you don't invest in anymore and you disappear with that money that they gave you. And that is uh, yes, it is definitely seen as a scam because it is uh is it illegal? I don't think they're still figuring all that out. Probably eventually they will illegalize that sort of thing illegal.
Speaker 4: I just have a hard time feeling sorry for anybody who buy scripto currency.
Speaker 1: Sure, I don't feel bad at all. Next email comes from Dylan from Ontario, Canada. Hey, Bomblini's I recently received a call from my dad out of a blue. I assume something terrible happened, but instead he asks how can I play Super Nintendo? Now? He was talking about shoot hardware, but I'm wondering is there another consoleate device I can preload with games? And give him a SNSUSB controller with that instead. I figured this would be cheaper, the cheaper option in the long run, but I worry about having to trouble shoot issues, so I want something easy enough for a fifty five year old immigrant to handle. Do I just buy him a cheap switch in the controller to show him the online service there. I feel like there's got to be a better way. Any help is appreciated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done this a few times as a gift where I've done it with the NES Classic and the SNS Classic where it's just like, oh, okay, here's someone in my life that likes games but certainly wouldn't know about like emulation scene and things like that. So it's just like, you know, if you know how to do that stuff, which is very easy to do and very easy to follow YouTube videos and stuff. Now just get I don't know how available like the SNS Classic is on Amazon.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're too expensive there. I think there's still like a hovering around how much they cost they cost when you originally bought them, Maybe a little bit more, but then they're.
Speaker 4: Still worth it for that one and sixty dollars on Amazon right now, it's a little bit much.
Speaker 3: So there's definitely cheaper ways to do it, and you could just get like an eight bit du Actually, yeah, I just got on my desk car got the new Ganky one that's eight and dough and it's great. So you just get like a forty dollars controller and then, uh, it would be the easiest way.
Speaker 4: Grub.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm like, I SNS many clearly is the easiest. So then what is the one that is more affordable than that? Probably a Roundsberry pie that you put retro pie on so it just works. But boy, that's that is playing with fire in case anything does go.
Speaker 3: Wrong, right, trying to think the most cool proof option. I mean, I mean spending the money on s Ands Mini that's.
Speaker 4: The actual control. There are more like eighty dollars on eBay.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's totally reasonable, and it's not that hard to get games on it.
Speaker 4: Even I was able to do it. I'm not much for this kind of stuff usually, so yeah.
Speaker 2: I would like go Facebook Marketplace, see if you can find a Super Nintendo Mini and uh and just follow the YouTube guides. It's super simple. Once that thing's working, it'll just work. The way it's intended to work.
Speaker 5: So yeah, all right, Uh, I appreciate all of the lovely emails that everyone sent in, especially when you sent them in last week, but they got caught up in the BombCast spam folder.
Speaker 1: See that's the thing, folks. If you sign us up for too many dumb emails and we don't have any emails to read on the show, not only does Mike Manani not get paid all right, but we also can't read any emails and what.
Speaker 4: Else to get paid what I'm supposed to get paid? That'd be incredible.
Speaker 2: Do you see that shit that happened to me on UPF last Friday Grub?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, I can't believe the contractors tried to unionize against you right in.
Speaker 2: Front of me. Where's our video card's damaged? There was there was no decorum, completely uncivil. It's been crying about retro tanks that he doesn't need.
Speaker 4: I grew up, got one back? Does he didn't have a retro tink? You never had one?
Speaker 2: You have one older, I don't have the new one.
Speaker 4: I don't have the new one.
Speaker 2: Lord of the Rings is like Star Wars if they were walks, because those are the two short people I know in media. That was a pretty compelling argument. Dan, I was thank you, I bought an thank you. I appreciate that I killed me.
Speaker 3: I was streaming a day or two ago and I was talking about how I got an oral surgery situation going on on Thursday, and I'm gonna be it's three hours long, and so I'm paying for the sedation, which entrance on cover any of this shit, and the sedation alone is like twenty two hundred dollars. And then someone in the chat just said, like, oh, do you know how many retro tanks that would be? And it killed me.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, like three retro tanks. Yeah, that's money well spent. Though I don't want to be awake for three hours of getting my face drilled in. It's no, it's like, you know, it's it's fun. It's fun to be. You're right, Mike Banati, Michael Jackson shouldn't have had that happen, But I see how that happen. Yeah, I thought he should not have done it, but like I guess.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't have done a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Mike, Yeah, I feel like you're not taking a harsh enough stance against you, like you shouldn't have done that, but come very.
Speaker 4: Pro Michael Jackson. Yeah, definitely. I'm so confused about the canceled status of Michael Saxon. Be clear, he should be, so he's just he's just not. There are like.
Speaker 3: People that weirdly deny that he did a lot of wrongdoing, which is insane. But also I think there's just a bit of like these songs are really good, We're gonna keep playing music.
Speaker 4: Like this Halloween, all my theeces were dancing to a new sing special that was just them all dancing the Thriller, and I was like, this guy's not canceled. Something about his music.
Speaker 3: It's different than like there's not really a threat of like if Bill Cosby had not been canceled. It's not like people are gonna be putting on old Cosby episodes, but seminole at a bar.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I think Michael Jackson might be the most canceled if you think about it in some ways in terms of dying, in terms of him not yes, in terms.
Speaker 4: Of him being dead because of the anesthesis thing, which he shouldn't have done.
Speaker 2: But right you are for him to live, right, so he'd be.
Speaker 1: It's the way you make me feel. Uh, and that's why we can't stop the music. R Kelly though, go get fucked.
Speaker 3: No, did you see by the way, it was very funny they did on the S and L fifty thing they did at montage and in memoriam of all the things that age poorly in terms of like blackface and just racial insensitive stuff and everything, like just actually showing a montage of all the shit they've done over the years, like this doesn't look good now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I haven't watched that. Was it pretty good? You know what?
Speaker 4: It's what you'd expect it to be.
Speaker 3: It is a big play the hits and have a bunch celebrity cameos things. But as far as one of those goes, it was it was very good. There's if you see got one thing. There was a really good Sandler song that was actually really touching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Eddie Murphy does a very good Tracy Morgan imitation with Tracy Morgan directly next to him.
Speaker 3: I couldn't help but think of like, it's the same feeling I have when it's like, oh, some you know, young wrestler gets to share the ring with like aj Styles or something is e of these like young, like early twenties cast members where it's like you are in a sketch with Will Ferrell and Eddie Murphy. They've got to be like their heads have to be exploding. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly how I feel watching the qualifiers for Tournament of Champions on the Food.
Speaker 2: Network and it's like, that's Anne Burrell you're in there with right now. Do you get it?
Speaker 1: Did you go against Josh Sawyer? Oh my god? Anyway, last email of the show comes from CPA Dave from Florida. Syllables. Hello, is grub one syllable or two syllables? Does the extra bat make it an extra syllable? Thanks? I love you too, CPA Dave from Florida.
Speaker 4: There's an there's an education problem in this country and in the world. How would the extra be possibly ever make it an extra syllable? That's just an extra letter. I think this is have a vow for it to be another syllable that joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, buddy, duddy, grub grub no, Wait a second, though, grub No, it does.
Speaker 4: Open up again, doesn't Was I too quick to judge your.
Speaker 1: Did you convince yourself grab, I don't.
Speaker 4: I might have to do something. You're gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Get way high than you are right now to be able to figure this one out.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: I apologize. I may have spoken out of turn there. I'm not saying that you're right, but there's a more compelling argument.
Speaker 2: That I said. I got enough syllables to go around. All right, there's enough syllables for everybody.
Speaker 4: The two for blues brothers.
Speaker 1: All right, that about does it. For emails, Bombcastigiant bomb dot com is the email address to send your emails too. I love and appreciate all the emails you send. I'm gonna go look in the spam folder on mark themUS spam. We had like twenty questions from Travis, and I'm still on the fence about Travis. Letting Travis back in. We'll see. Yeah, maybe you've done your time, Travy. But folks, the rest of this week grab Game of Mornings popping off from Wednesday to Friday.
Speaker 2: That's right, we were off Monday. That's why there was no episode in case you were wondering. But we're back Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Everybody to look out for that, and you know, it feels like news is gonna be popping off now for the next little next few.
Speaker 1: Weeks, for sure, we have another episode of the Blightning Round with Jeff Grubb. Please go tune in for that tomorrow. Voice.
Speaker 3: We were saying like two episodes probably for these Lightning Round games, so we only.
Speaker 1: Let me Yeah, totally, It's gonna end tomorrow and then we'll move on to the next person voicemail dump truck on Thursday, probably a BCR, probably a UPF of sorts on Friday. But Dan, we got something going on tomorrow, the.
Speaker 3: Great Giant bomb Hole Off. That's right, featuring all four of us on this current podcast. We will be racing to dig a hole before.
Speaker 2: Sorry, this is this is a podcast about a stream about a game about a game about digging a hole.
Speaker 4: That's right. That's great.
Speaker 1: Wow, yes, wow, okay cool. Also, we're gonna go to Hawaii for Game of the Year. We're just gonna keep saying that until it actually happens. Ye, So aloha, folks, will see you there in beautiful Hawaii.
Speaker 3: Grub's gonna reenact Pearl Harbor, Oh God, the movie the historical event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, what everyone think about.
Speaker 1: No, I would never you know. Actually, they do have a lot of fun Hello Kitty memorabilia at Pearl Harbor, so maybe it'd be a fun visit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they really won in the end, if you think about it. Cultural victory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe me. Very confused, folks. That does it for another episode of the Giant Bomb Cast. Aloha hi, alohahii. We'll see you there. He's been Mike, he's been Dan, he's been grubby, I've been janned. You and home have been beautiful. We love.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Get your play tickets ready, Nicky, we gotta get We're gonna.
Speaker 4: Hit the beach.
Speaker 1: Let's go serve it at the beach.
Speaker 4: I love you guys. Come on, let's Hawaii is an island. It's a bunch of them