Speaker 1: Tape Deck Media.
Speaker 2: Hey, folks, Aaron here with the quick heads up. So we ended up having to record a small chunk of this episode on a separate day than the rest of it. So if you happen to notice during the promo videos that our guest suddenly stops talking for about ten minutes, it's only because that segment was recorded a few days later with just the three of us. All right, now that that's out of the way, enjoy the episode.
Speaker 1: See the parts.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to see you at the Potty Richter. I'm Chris Chapman and with me as always, I'm a co hosts Aaron Frascus Hello, and Joseph beck Castro.
Speaker 1: Hello, gut guys.
Speaker 3: Today we are going to be looking at some production info for Arnold's nineteen ninety comedy family vehicle, Kindergarten Cop. We are going to be joined by a very special guest, mister Dave Callens. Welcome Dave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's me. Hey, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for joining us. So yeah, now I'm just gonna throw it over to Aaron, who's going to tell us all about this. I'm sure very normal production totally.
Speaker 2: First off, before we dive in, I need to make a quick correction about something from a previous episode. So, because Kindergarten Cop was Arnold Schwarzenegger's second time working with Ivan Wrightman, one of the first things I did was go back and read through my notes when we cover twins. That way, I could avoid any like anything we'd already covered basically, and holy crap, like I was really doing some like screen rant caliber like level of research for that one.
Speaker 1: It's just it's not it's not good.
Speaker 2: Why anyway, As far as the correction in that episode, I mentioned that Ivan Rightman brought in two writers to rewrite the film, who were Timothy Harris and herschel Weingrad that he'd previously worked with on the nineteen eighty three film Trading Places, which Harris and Winegrad had written. The only problem is that Ivan Rightman was in no way involved with Trading Places. Like it was just dumb because I was like, how did I manage to do that? Because I was like why, like and I tried to find out, like looking like there's got to be a reason why I wrote this down, like why else would I write it down? I didn't find anything. So actually, like really listening to the Twins episode, hoping that maybe I didn't say it, But no, I didn't, So I'm like, otherwise I wouldn't be correcting it now. But anyway, okay, So anyway onto Kindergarten Cop, which reunites Arnold Schwartzenegger with The Twins director Ivan Rerightman and to find out how they both became attached to the film. We're going to take a second to fill in the gap between the two movies. So Twins was released in December nineteen eighty eight, and, in addition to becoming the year's fifth highest grossing film worldwide, it also opened up doors for Schwarzenegger career wise by showing that he could actually do comedy. It was also Arnold's final film of the eighties, with his next three projects all being released in nineteen ninety, one of which was the Tales from the Crypt episode he directed, which aired in April.
Speaker 1: I'm out who directed that?
Speaker 2: Arnold Schwarzenegger directed an episode. Yeah, he directed one that was started Kelly Preston. And it's like it's called the Switch. It's like the first or second episode of the second season.
Speaker 1: I believe. Yeah, it's it's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we watched it.
Speaker 2: It was all right, but and the other one was Total Recall, which was released in June, And I'm curious if he was working on both of those projects at the same time, because I'm not sure how long production lasted on Total Recall because we haven't done it yet, but I'm assuming it head to be at least like ninety days.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, probably longer than that. I feel like for a movie.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong, but don't most shows try to like have each episode like shot and wrapped, I think in like a week or something.
Speaker 3: I think they try to do him in a week, but I don't know how, because Tales from the Crypto was what like HBO HBO. Yeah, so I don't know how their productions work. They might be a little different than like normal television.
Speaker 2: I don't know, O care anyway. I'm sure we'll find out when we do Total Recall. But Arnold really doesn't talk too much about Kindergarten cop in his twenty two of autobiography, but he does mention the first time he read the script for it, which was in the spring of eighty nine, and he was a busy guy at the time. He was filling Total Recall and expecting his first child with Maria Shriver. He ends up giving his first impressions of the script, saying, quote, one day, in my trailer wedding through scripts, I came across a draft of Kindergarten cop. I couldn't put it down. The idea of a tough detective who has to go undercover teaching a bunch of preschoolers made me laugh. People in Hollywood always say, never act with kids or animals. They're impossible to work with, and they look so cute on screen that they steal the show. He says, I already had experience with animals as Conan, and the book actually does real quick, the book actually does.
Speaker 1: Wait, he's counting Conan as experienced animal? Yeah, yeah, like it was it the giant snake or.
Speaker 3: A terrifying experience with the dogs? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Like the book does include a picture example, like right next to the text of this, which was just a production still of Conan punching the camel in the face, which I thought was like a oh yeah experience.
Speaker 1: Okay, weird inclusion. He's like, e experience with animals, just cut smash cut to them punching a camel in the face.
Speaker 3: Experience.
Speaker 1: I feel like every actor says that they couldn't put the script down when they talk about whatever movie. And I'm sure there's been a ton of bad movies where they couldn't put the script down. You know, it's just because it's bad. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Uh, by the way that that picture is not in the book, just making that clear.
Speaker 1: I want to make that clear, like it's one book, but that picture is in the Camel's autobiography. That's when he quit show business.
Speaker 3: They say, let me work with Austrians and they.
Speaker 4: So. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He continues by saying, quote, I'd already had experience with animals as Conan and they'd been fine. But I'd be interested in doing a movie with kids for years, and the prospect of.
Speaker 1: The kid exactly.
Speaker 2: The prospect of becoming a dad inspired me. I thought, great, let the kids still the show as long as the movie succeeds end quote. He then says his next step was to get The Twins director Ivan Wrightman on board, who in the spring of eighty nine, I believe from the timeline I kind of found, but I believe was most likely in the middle of reshoots for Ghostbusters Too, which from the little about it I read, seems like it wasn't the most enjoyable movie to make. Just add a bunch of problems, like pretty much from the get go, and we're not going to get really get into it.
Speaker 1: Also, in my opinion, also was not an enjoyable movie. I did not like that one. I liked that movie.
Speaker 2: But again, I think that's like nostalgia because like, I loved that movie when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Well, I loved the first one, so I went to see the second one. I'm a little bit older than you guys, so me and my friend went to the second one, and we made the mistake of going to a Saturday mattinee, so it was like us as teenagers and then like a million children, which just made the experience that much worse.
Speaker 3: Yes, I watched the second one first, so that was like the same. Wow, I liked it more than the first one for a long time.
Speaker 1: I mean I still do. We're shutting this podcast now, so yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Should check out the behind the scenes stuff from nexuse. It's interesting anyway. So from there, Arnold kind of skips forward from there in his book, saying quote then I asked Ivan wrightman, if you direct me again, we both wanted changes in the script to add social relevance. I wanted to add a physical fitness theme and he wanted He wanted it to touch on broken homes, child abuse, and family life.
Speaker 1: But we agreed to go ahead. You know that you mentioned that it does kind of now that with that in mind, it does kind of feel like those were just sort of crammed in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well there's a reason behind that too, so which we'll get to in just a second. But he's He finishes by saying, so, since I haven't already had Ghostbusters two in the works for the nineteen eighty nine holidays, we started planning Kindergarten Cop for Christmas nineteen ninety end quote. That's basically all he had to say about the movie in his book, besides like a mention that Kindergarten Cop ended up being a hit, before transitioning into talking about some movie made with James Cameron the next year. I don't know, And I wasn't even gonna mention that arnold quote from his book because it's pretty much just basic info about the summary and the release date. But while I was reading about Ghostbusters too, I came across a pretty interesting article featuring Ivan Wrightman. That definitely made it seem like he might have been going through some shit right before signing on to Kindergarten cop So it was a December nineteen eighty nine Los Angeles Times article titled Hollywood's Hottest comedy director takes a break, and in it, Ivan Wrightman discusses a few of the reasons that let him lead to his decision to tell the studios behind both Twins and Ghostbusters, which were universal in Columbia, that he had absolutely no interest in doing sequels for either film. He just done Ghostbusters, Too Yeah, So he basically told him and he needed a break, with one of the reasons being the negative reception from both critics and audiences towards Ghostbusters, Too Yeah, which had been out for about six months at the time and had been shipped on by pretty much everyone except for.
Speaker 1: Me at the time. Still You'll come right, But he.
Speaker 2: Does give a good reasons for what why he why the Ghostbusters sequel? I mean, I I've done as well as the first film, which David tell me I can biased, but anyway, same quotes.
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm gonna make it. I'm gonna make a new podcast dedicated to shitting on Ghostbusters two and it's gonna be called busting. Does not make me feel good Ghostbusters pooh.
Speaker 2: So he says about it. He says, in comedy, the element of surprises everything. And I think once that element of surprise is gone, once people know there's going to be ghosts, there's going to be big ghosts, and they're expecting something big at the end, a lot of the tools that are at your disposals are gone. End quote, which I found funny because that's like totally a similar vibe to what Terminator three director Jonathan Mostow said when he was looking back at that movie. He's like, because Jonathan Mostow basically said about Terminator three, well, Terminator two already did all this cool stuff, So what do you what do you want to do? Like, they're not going to be like thrilled, like uh, like wowed by anything else. They already saw.
Speaker 1: The Liquid Metal Man. Is that the one that you posted that like snippet from that interview with the guy who wrote it about I was just shipping on everything. Yeah no, no, that was that was the writer. Yeah, yeah, but what it was about T three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was that was about T three though, But that was that guy's if you should read that blog, if you've seen that movie, it's just like bitter, very very bitter. But that's like, that's true. Is that part of the reason why you don't why it's ship like just because it's this it's rehashing the same story beats as the first one, or it's just it.
Speaker 1: Was just a stupid story. Okay, curious what was the story? Uh, I haven't seen it since that first time in theaters. I've seen piece of it here and there. But the way I remember it is like it was just the cheesiest like love conquers all, like I hold the villain.
Speaker 3: That is, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: You got they got New York together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Statue of Liberty comes to life. Yes, it rallies all the New Yorkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, what's the song called I Liked by the world?
Speaker 3: Love keeps lifting behind, You're lifting higher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Jackie Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's terrible, terrible so.
Speaker 2: Good anyway, So I've been right. Man also to expressed his disappointment about Ghostbusters Too not doing as well financially as the first one, with it only being nineteen eighty Nine's seventh highest grossing movie worldwide and eighth highest grossing movie domestically, which must have been just.
Speaker 1: Embarrassed that I was gonna say. That sounds like it's not bad, but you gotta remember there are only eleven movies released that year.
Speaker 2: It's just like that, poor guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, although I guess comparatively, the first Ghostbusters was the top grossing film of nineteen eighty four domestically, and then the second highest grossing worldwide, which I think the one that beat it.
Speaker 1: Out was Beverly Hills Cop.
Speaker 2: And then and then that same La Times article mentions that Ivan Rightman's seven films prior to Kindergarten Cop had grossed a combined total of three billion worldwide, making him the most successful comedy director at that time. I'm not sure if that's still the case.
Speaker 1: The case, No, no way, Like I was trying to the appetite for sure, maybe like yeah, the one that made the hangover.
Speaker 2: It, but yeah, yeah, I guess so. Like he did have a few a few films after this, but they weren't nearly as like big as as those anyway.
Speaker 1: Are we going to are we going to bate rules where we're not going to fact check you. I mean you can.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons this took the longest because I was, like, I tried to make it clear when I couldn't find like, it's all basically anything I found on IMDb. I let you know, because everything on IMDb is it's just people posting stuff on there. But anyway, so brought by the way, the seven prior films were ghost was I can only think of three of them Ghostbusters, two Twins, Legal Eagles, which I've never heard of, ghost Legs, Yes, and uh Deborah Winger? Really did you you watch?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: Was Winger? I barely know her. I've never seen that one. I just remember it was out.
Speaker 2: Ghostbusters, Stripes, Meatballs, and then Cannonball Girls.
Speaker 1: His first ones. That one sounds fake? Is that a real movie? That was it in the Cannonball Run Cinematic Universe? Unrelated same thing?
Speaker 2: Actually I didn't look that one up, but I'm pretty so we're gonna assume it's the same thing that that was Sally Field's movie. Anyway, Okay, Sally Fields. I keep calling her that because that's what I Arnold calls there instead of just Sally Field. He could like in one interview, he called ther Sally Fields.
Speaker 1: And now every time I do anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So while looking up what those seven movies were, I noticed that the box office numbers didn't quite add up to the three billion total that was mentioned in the ell.
Speaker 1: Are we end of conspiracy is just like a follow of the money thing, like, well, we're going to get the bottom of this.
Speaker 2: I was, But then I realized that they probably also included VHS sales, which I kind of confirmed when I saw the VHS sales numbers for the first Ghostbusters, which, holy shit like released in October nineteen eighty five, sold four hundred thousand copies by December or sorry, by February nineteen eighty six, so it earned thirty two million dollars in home video sales in the first four months that it was released.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's a little old man tibbot for you. When VHS was new, Like, one of the first VHS casets we got was Raiders Lost Arc. It was eighty dollars. Shit, yeah, no, wonder the sales are so crazy for that. I'm curious how.
Speaker 2: I'm curious how that did on VHS because that was was that one of the first ones.
Speaker 1: It was probably pretty early. Yeah, Okay, well, you guys were all somebody you like live with, like the Rockefellers or.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 2: Like shit, because was that like your Christmas and Birthday present?
Speaker 1: Or then that was yeah, we sold one of the cars.
Speaker 2: Anyway, As far as the VHS sales, even if you don't include those sales, Rightman's four films prior to Kindergarten Cops, which were twins, Legal Eagles, and the two Ghostbusters, still made a combined total of eight hundred million worldwide at the in.
Speaker 1: Box office sales.
Speaker 6: Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Apparently though his negative experience making Ghostbusters too was bad enough that Rightman decided he just wanted to take a break from directing comedy.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, good for him, Yeah, with him.
Speaker 2: Telling the La Times that same on ELI Times article saying quote, usually, as I'm finishing a film, I startes dating an idea for the next film. I purposely sort of forced myself not to this time. I think the break will help me develop a fresh perspective on what I'm doing. And this quote right here is what is a pan of the ass about researching these Because that quote and even just the timing of the La Times article in general kind of contradicts what we just heard from Arnold, because in his book he jumps from like I said, asking Ivan Wrightman to direct to both of them wanting script changes, to then finally them deciding to shoot for a Christmas nineteen ninety release because quote, Ivan already had Ghostbusters two in the works for the nineteen eighty nine holidays, which actually, no, he didn't.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 1: Ghostbusters two came out in June nineteen eighty nine. I think we got to chalk that up to a Mandela effects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we also figured out that he's like in the it's it took me a while to realize, like, I can't take what he's saying in the book because like a like, I gotta fact check the book basically because the dates aren't correct. So I'm like, wait, wait, wait a second, I thought in this book he said in the book he said this, and it's anyway, So yeah, Ghostbusters two came out in July nineteen eighty nine, and then Ivan Rightman quote I just read it from December nineteen eighty nine. So it seems likely and this is one hundred percent speculation on my part, by the way, but it seems likely that Ivan Rightman was possibly in full break mode when Arnold approached him about directing Kindergarten Cop.
Speaker 1: Should uh, should we get Ivan and Arnold on the pod just to sort it out? Please?
Speaker 2: Let's yes, absolutely, especially Ivan Rightman actually would be a get Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think he's taking a break right now, unfortunately taking a break.
Speaker 2: So but if that's true, and Ivan Rightman actually wasn't a break in the eighty nine, then I'm guessing Arnold's promise of script changes were probably one of the ways he was able to convince him to direct the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I only say that because in that same article, Rightman admits what could bring him back to direct, saying quote, Oh, sorry, I I see what you're laughing at.
Speaker 3: You just like, yeah, he just gives him the script and he's He's like, I'm not really doing movies right now.
Speaker 7: He's like, you could put child abuse in it.
Speaker 2: Rightman says in the article, quote, all of the films I've made to date have been relatively large scale films with elaborate concepts, and I'd like to try a few things on a more human scale and see how it works out. It's not so much that I want to turn to serious drama right now and bear my soul anymore. That's then it's baared. It's just I think it would be fun to tell a smaller story, less plot and more characters. I think I have to move people emotionally much more.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, end quote.
Speaker 2: But that definitely helps. Like Arnold's mention of the script like it may helped it make it like it made more sense on the script change, Like what I haven't Rightman asked, Arnold' stuff already made sense with the physical fitness stuffy exactly. I'm not sure why. I'm not sure why, he said. Rightman was busy with Ghostbusters too at the time, but whatever, like whatever, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So interesting too, Like, based on what you said so far, it seems like Arnold is the one who made this movie happen, like he got Ivan to direct, which makes me wonder how did he end up with a script, because you wouldn't think like someone's writing the script with Arnold in mind. Wow, damn, you.
Speaker 2: Just transitioning me like perfect right into the next dar Okay, so before before we get there, but before we move on from the director, there was one piece of trivia from IMDb that I wanted to mention that says Ron Howard was considered to direct as the film this is per I think I copied this directly from my MDB, but so the grammar anyway. Ron Howard was considered to direct as the film was made by the production company by his production company, Imagined Entertainment, which he founded with producer Brian Grazer, but Arnold Schwarzenegger said he would only do the movie if I've Bean Wrightman directed, so Brian Grazer eventually secured Schwarzenegger to star in the film, and Ron Howard went on.
Speaker 1: To direct Backdraft.
Speaker 8: Huh.
Speaker 1: That's actually kind of funny because that's like Ron Har's like, Hey, I want to direct this, and I was like, fuck off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds like it could be true, But I couldn't find any mention of it besides the IMDb trivia, which, as we've mentioned before, anyone with an email address can add to and I'm assuming it's it's definitely have. My favorite piece of trivia got on there, which says quote Catherine O'Hara was considered for the role of Phoebiohara, Hence the character has the same last name as the actress, which she was busy with hom home alone and turned down the offer. I'm like, because that's how casting works. They always like to start with the actors that have the same last name to anyone else.
Speaker 1: It makes it easier on the actor. They know what their motivation is. They can relate exactly.
Speaker 2: Like I'm pretty sure Christian Bale was only high Like it was only cast as Batman because the warlock hired by Warner Brothers failed to resurrect John Wayne still.
Speaker 1: Waiting for Did you imagine John Wayne playing that would be amazing? Oh my god? Okay, so uh moving on.
Speaker 2: Kindergarten Cop had a few different writers credited, with the original story and screenplay written by former actor attorney. Is that right? By the way I was, I was gonna like, Okay, so it's a former He was a former actor but he turned to screenwriter. Do you need to say the former part when you say when you put four actor turned screenwriter.
Speaker 3: I guess if he completely stopped acting, you would.
Speaker 2: Say former like nine nine percent Surrey he did, so I see his point, though, they'd be like saying, they might as well say former actor to present screenwriter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's why it wasn't sure. Yeah, that's why anyway, It's okay.
Speaker 2: Written by some guy named Murray Salem, who unfortunately ended up passing away in nineteen ninety seven from complications related to aids UH. And even though Kindergarten cop is his only writing credit listed on IMDb, Salem actually had a fairly successful career during the fifteen years he spent as a screenwriter, which he ended up selling eight of his nine scripts that he.
Speaker 1: Wrote, Wow nice. They were all based on police working under covered to school.
Speaker 2: And this is this is all this information about Murray Salem comes from a twenty sixteen article from it's called Clevescene dot com. It's a Cleveland it's called Cleveland Scene. It's a Cleveland newspaper anyway, But that profile of his life. But yeah, seven of the eight, so seven of those eight scripts he sold one unmade for more or less being too similar to other projects, Like they'd either be bought up and then eventually scrapped once a different studio released a similar project, or a studio would buy his script with the express purpose of shelving it due to the premise being too similar to another project that they are that they already had in the works, which.
Speaker 1: Well, now thinking he's written like Kindergarten Terminator just keeps doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Which that's awesome that he was able to make a like a pretty good living selling of scripts. But that's still kind of gotta suck, like at least a little bit that you're.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that none of them get made, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it could be just the racket he's on. He's like, oh, man, I hear they're.
Speaker 1: Making that two Volcano.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I got to write a movie Lava and they have to buy.
Speaker 1: It just like sorry.
Speaker 2: I was just like imagining someone asking him like have you written anything, and being like, well, have you seen The Devil's Advocate.
Speaker 1: They're like, yeah, did you write that?
Speaker 2: He's like, well, no, but I did write something like a similar story that Warner Brothers bought the script for, but like job was just to make sure that no one woind mails wouldn't make it first.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I don't have you heard of Kindergarten Advocate? Yeah, I might keep going on that choking.
Speaker 2: The Devil's Advocate and The First Wives Club were two of the ones that were excited as like reasons that the studio bought up the scripts that were similar to it.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say. They actually started off as very similar scripts.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: So Murray Salem eventually decided that in order to make a name for himself, he needed to switch gears write something more commercially viable than his usual scripts, which seemed to lean way more to the dramatic side. I think one was about like like kids in like teenagers in prison, and then the other one was about like a like a argentine er Colombian revolution or something like that. But then he also had the first wives Club one, and the and the one about the devil falling in love I think, so it's kind of all over the place anyway.
Speaker 1: So uh.
Speaker 2: He was inspired by funny stories from a like during a twentieth high school reunion that a former classmate was telling about teaching kindergarten.
Speaker 1: So, oh my god, now I'm picturing that that guy watching the movie, like that motherfucker, I told him this story. This is me. Where's my credit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see, you can't, you can You can't do anything about that, right, It's just that son of a bitch, Because.
Speaker 1: At the end of every movie they put all situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Salem Salem came up with a story that was partly the weapon part baby Boom, which he wrote specifically with Schwarzenegger in mind.
Speaker 1: But yeah.
Speaker 2: He ended up selling Kindergarten cop to Imagine Entertainment, which brought Arnold on board to star.
Speaker 1: So he he just wrote the script is like here's some crazy teachers thing. Yeah, didn't imagine. So now someone had Imagine was like, you know who'd be good in this? Well?
Speaker 2: Can you you can? Like uh like he it's the article said that he wrote it with Schwarzenegger in mind, like you can?
Speaker 1: Can you do?
Speaker 2: They usually put like a Schwarzenegger type or something like and.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, a lot of scripts do that, like oh this is like this character is like a Brad Pitt type or Okay, especially if it's someone marketable Okay, yeah, which I think Arnold was at the time.
Speaker 2: I'm not positive but I don't know, but yes he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so Imagine brought in Arnold and then they eventually brought I even write men to direct. They then brought well Ivan write mean technically then ended up hiring a couple of screenwriters to punch up the script and handle those rewrites that Arnold mentioned which Murray Salem was obviously not very happy about. But he kind of it was out of basically out of his control, like he knew he could do.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that happen to every writer? I feel like that happens a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's also kind of funny because like he stole his friend's stories to make a movie. His friends mad, and then someone changed it and it's like, now he's mad. So it just keeps getting like shifted up a little.
Speaker 2: By the way, these uh, these were the same two writers that the writers that were brought in with the same two writers I mentioned at the top of the episode that I've been brought into rewrite Twins, Timothy Harris and herschel Winegrond. Yeah, you know, the same guys.
Speaker 1: That he worked with on Trading Places. At least I think I have been written down, so it's gotta be true. So actually those two writers, that's what Trading Place was based on, was those guys had a similar thing happened in their life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he kept they kept Trading Places with the original writers of stories, but we barely met We barely bothered to mention it in the Twins episode, but Harris and Winingrod had been writing partners since the early eighties. In addition to trading places in twins, they also wrote Brewster's Millions and My Stepmother is an Alien in the eighties, and then Pures Millions fun don't have watched that's see, I get a mixed up product the toy which which wow, that did not age well.
Speaker 1: Which I don't know.
Speaker 2: Bruser's Millions is the one where like he's guests to spend like a million dollars in like a.
Speaker 3: Thirty million dollars in thirty days, and if he does, he gets three hundred million. Okay, was like it was just it's like an inheritance from an he.
Speaker 1: Can't have any of the show forty benefit from and he just got a wasted.
Speaker 3: He has to be completely broke at the end of the thirty days.
Speaker 2: I mean I could do that doing that now Millions my stepmother is Nayalen.
Speaker 1: I didn't what that's like?
Speaker 2: Dank d yeah, kim basing here, uh, and then sorry. In the nineties, they wrote Pure Luck with Martin Short and Daniel Martin, which I.
Speaker 1: Remember the poster for but never watched. Yeah, it's uh, they both have bad luck. I think you know, okay, yeah, I remember that being pretty terrible. And then they wrote Space Jam, which is just, you know, a movie. I like it.
Speaker 2: But again, let's tell ja by the way, they did not write Falling Down, which I credited them with writing in the Twins episode, just throwing that out there. They did produce it, though, so at least there's a connection, which is good.
Speaker 1: I would think they wrote it's very similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a space jam, yeah exactly. Anyhow was as far as kindergarten cop.
Speaker 1: But do you look quick Falling Down? Do you guys saw that one?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I actually haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It's such a good movie. But it's so interesting because like you start out rooting for this guy and then he turns into the complete villain. Yeah, so this is a very interesting take on a protagonist.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was still rooting for him. I've had that kind of dates where it's like, just leave the guy alone, like when.
Speaker 1: He's going to like murder his ex wife. You're like, I thought he was.
Speaker 3: Just kind of business people alone to murder his ex wife.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to visit his kid, and like I've all been there.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I'm siding with him anyway, just like the wrong side.
Speaker 1: Trying to get canceled. Yeah, anyway.
Speaker 2: So as far as Kindergarten cop, crack dot Com interviewed Timothy Harris, one of the writers the Well I Guess Rewriters, in twenty twenty two for an article they were doing about Twins, with Harris mentioning that Ivan Wrightman brought him and Winingrod Herschel Winingrod in to rewrite Kindergarten Cop because Rightman did not care.
Speaker 1: For the original script.
Speaker 2: Harris also said that kindergart the Kindergarten Cop script suffered from the same problem that he felt was an issue with the Twin with a Twin or the Twins script, the original one, which was its forgettable action thriller b plot. He then continued by giving an example while simultaneously like patting himself on the back, saying, quote, people remember Schwarzenegger in the classroom with those kids, but they don't remember the even more complicated and in a way more central thriller plot unquote and like real quick dumb question, but would you guys say the secondary plot is the like in Kindergarten Cops? I feel like it kind of switches and then switches back, like as far as like the central plot and then like the subplot or whatever, like.
Speaker 1: Well, does it does feel like disjointed in the sense that, like the way I remember it, having just recently watched it changed it a little bit, But the way I remember it is like it's about it's a fish out of water. Yeah, it's this guy trying to teach kids, and then it's like, oh, yeah, he was also trying to track down this drug dealer, like almost like they just threw that ot for like, hey, we need a purpose for this, so there you go, which I mean worked for me well.
Speaker 2: And then the which he shited way more on on the Twins one, but it was an article about Twins, but that for Twins he was talking about the the car, the stolen part that that Vincent steals. Like there, that's that part of the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like Twins has a way more like sort of weird and outlandish b plot, like the whole thing where he's got like this super secret piece of technology that's worth millions and millions of dollars and there's like hitman running around like taking people kind of like I don't really know what it is, but it's something.
Speaker 2: It's a plain part turbine, something like a super.
Speaker 3: Plain jet engine. Yeah, that worth millions of dollars. But he says seems really out of place versus like the character stuff that they're doing in Twins.
Speaker 1: But that's what he's saying is like, that's supposed to be the plot is like that piece of butts, and you don't really think about that. Yeah, yeah, that's he said.
Speaker 2: That was a problem with both films. He also said that part of it with at least Twins was that Ivan Rightman isn't an action director, so that might have heard it a little bit. I don't know anyways, Moving on a to casting, so Arnold Schwarzenegger supposedly made twelve million for the role, but like Dave mentioned during the summary, there were a few different actors they considered to play John Kimball. By the way, the two you won't you only mentioned two, right, Dave.
Speaker 1: I forget probably okay, we'll fix it.
Speaker 2: By the way, there were a few that I kept seeing but I couldn't find a source for besides being mentioned on IMDb trivia. But before we get to those three, I could confirmed could confirm with the first two. Sorry, the first two we mentioned, which were Bill Murray and Patrick Swayze, who book passed, and then the only other one I know for sure was Danny DeVito, who they supposedly passed on due to his height, although I couldn't confirm that that was the actual reason because none of the sites that I read that on bother to provide any source. And it feels like such an obvious reason because it's not like the producers were about to offer him the role and then one of them is like, what, he's only four to ten You fucking kidn't me now past like they knew how.
Speaker 1: Short he was. Yeah, yeah, So see, this is why I.
Speaker 4: Go to you.
Speaker 1: I know of IMDb. I love Wikipedia. That's why I get all my ships, Yes, because because they cite everything, and all three of those you mentioned have links to like articles.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's why. Uh, that's that's where I got those. I gets most of the stuff and then trying to do Google stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah, IMDb could not imagine Bill Murray in that role. Yeah, he's like so dry and so I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think Bill Murray would have been fine in the classroom parts. I don't think that would have been an issue, Like, like he had done meatballs and stuff with kids before that. I can't imagine him as the cop part for sure, like like in any way, not like there's no way he takes that seriously enough to be a detective. I don't know.
Speaker 2: See, I think Danny DeVito would have been great because that's okay. Again, with a cop part, it might have been like, okay, well, like he.
Speaker 1: Would have sold it. That would have been over the top. It would have worked.
Speaker 2: But like with the kids, like to considering the fact that he's probably only a few inches taller than most of them, you got it pretty good interactions right there, Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know, because he could play a really good dirt bag and a dirt bag having to go in and like play nice for the kids.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That's kind of funny. But we also got to consider, like who were the other big action stars that were also trying to branch out on comedy at that time, because there was a stallone for sure was a big one. Yeah, oh, you guys know the sorry there's a way off topic, you know, the throw Mama from not you know that story?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, how Schwartzenigger's tricked. Yeah, yeah, because that's great.
Speaker 1: Uh, Which was I think that he probably I was.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety, right, was it or was that earlier?
Speaker 1: I don't think it was in the same around the same time. Yeah, I know it was around the same time. I'm not sure exactly when.
Speaker 2: But well, I also have never seen a lot of Stillon's like eighties besides like the like Rambow, like, I've never like Cobra or I don't know.
Speaker 1: Octobra was so bad? Was it? Like? Was it like?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Because it just reminded me of Rod Deal, like his version of Raw Deal, which.
Speaker 1: It was just it was so much worse because there literally was no plot, Like he was against these like this cabal of like psychotic killers. But all they did was they would stand in a warehouse and like clang axes together like they had no there's just clips of them, and then they would go fight stillone. It was the dumbest thing in the world. That's amazing, amazing. Yeah, I want to watch anyway.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for the ones I couldn't confirm, First off, Jack Nicholson, who I would assume would just be.
Speaker 1: Like a PG.
Speaker 2: Thirteen from version of his character from Chinatown or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know, it would have been fun from that era.
Speaker 2: Kurt Russell, that's actually one that I have, So that one he's really keeps getting grouped together with a like on a list with so Kurt Russell, Chuck Norris, and Robin Williams. We're at three that kept getting grouped together walk into a bar. Yeah, And there was one website that, uh said that the claim, like the whole that rumor of fact whatever came from quote the production team, which okay, can you be like less specific about it because that's pretty much anyone from what the director to like a PA that was fired, Like did you hear from one of the.
Speaker 3: Kids craft services?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh, circling back to stallone real quick, Yes, you remember Tangling Cash. See I didn't watch that Rustling Oh so good? Really said, but that was stillan trying his hand in more comedic stuff. Oh yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: There A was the action comedy Oscar too. It was a comedy which I never saw.
Speaker 1: We don't talk about that. I don't even know. I didn't watch that one either, but I remember being a comedy. Nobody watched it. Yeah, what was not Turnern. Who was the one you just said, tang on cash.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh I love that one because great movie. Stallone's like the the by the Book, you know, and Kurt Russell's The Loose Canyon, and they're like, we're not going to be.
Speaker 1: Partners, but then they have to be partners.
Speaker 8: I think at one point saloon they pull over like a oil rig. I think it was the first scene. So when I'm spoiling much and he like shoots it and cocaine comes down, He's like, piece is it? It's cocaine?
Speaker 1: But how did he know? Yeah, it's just good. That's exactly right, Yes, that good thing.
Speaker 3: It wasn't fucking oil in there. I was about to say that everybody else you could do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you start watching like the early nineties ones. I guess minus Oscar because Demolition Man's good too, but that.
Speaker 1: Mush Man's great. You could argue that his first dabble with comedy was over the top. That wasn't wasn't intended as a comedy. I think it came off.
Speaker 2: I remember that one, that one, that one I loved when I was a kid. Turn his hat around, I'll become a machine, Like why wouldn't it be a cowedy with that fucking pre It was just like, hey, man, what.
Speaker 8: If we like had a trucker who had a kid and he's got to go around winning bresting tournaments to like pay for his giits toy or so.
Speaker 1: I don't know, dude, I'm sorry to go with a soft, far off topic, but I just went down a rabbit hole earlier today. And do you guys remember the movie or heard of the movie any which way you can? Was it that's sequel to any which way? But loose? But that's one of the way I met the first one. Okay, yes, because the all promise is he's just a truck driver who does bare knuckle fighting for extra money.
Speaker 2: And then but there's also there's also an orangutang in it or something like that too, buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's just process that has nothing to do with the plot. He gets met some motorcycle gang gets mad at him, so fox with him for the whole movie. It's just it's there's like nothing, it's the dumbest thing. Well, but it's very over the top and in that sense of like, hey, what if we just had a guy who does that's.
Speaker 2: That's uh, what's kind of a thing with the seventies, though, wasn't it, because like, uh, I the first I recently watched when we did The Villain, I watched for the first time. Uh can't well, I try to watch can outrun.
Speaker 3: But that was horrible.
Speaker 2: Smoking the Bandit, whoa you bite your tongue hilarious.
Speaker 1: I didn't get I didn't bring Jackie Chan. Come on, there was.
Speaker 2: Really it was. It was just uh, kind of like rat like, which was just the mad, bad, mad world. But it was like rat race basically, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just the reason to race cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but uh, look in the Bandit I liked. It was just like the same kind of thing to where I was like, what the fuck am I watching? Like what's going on? It was just I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was back when plot was less important to people just looking coolly like, oh man, Burt Reynolds is so cool. Oh Burt Reynolds. He would have been a kindergarten cop.
Speaker 2: He would have been a yeah, because he did his version later with Cop and a Half, which I never watched, but I assuming I liked as a kid.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if that's gonna hold up anyway.
Speaker 2: So moving on to the rest of the cast. And by the way, all any rumored actress from here now from here on out are all unconfirmed because I started like, as I was looking up, I just like got over it once like the fourth person, I couldn't find anything on so anyway, But so for the the part of Rachel Crisps Crisp slash Joyce, the actresses supposedly considered for the role sound like a list from someone who was told to name six nineties actresses in ten seconds, so seriously, like, which is weird because I don't the timing of them anyway, So they include Helen Hunt, Sandra Bullock, who weren't like there would have been relatively new. This is for Joyce, the Penelope and Miller's role. Okay, yeah, they would have been relatively new at the time, so which whatever, Like I guess if they auditioned for it. But Julia Roberts, which is a big jump, like as far as like fame, Yeah, Brookshields, Geena Davis, and then Sally Field for some reason, which Fields, sorry Sally Fields, which I only find strange because she's the same age as Arnold, which whatever, But like Hollywood isn't exactly like the best with as far as age gaps when it comes to casting, like the male and female leads.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, like Tangent if if you haven't seen The Substance a fantastic movie just because it talks about topics of like aging actresses and shit like that Substance is it new?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, oh goo ahead.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, even if you compare her to all the other people on them, yes.
Speaker 2: She's about twenty years older, and she's the same meters she's the twenty years older, Like if John Kimball had been played by Walter Mathow then I could see them considering salad Field.
Speaker 1: But like, I don't know, it was just a good choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, just bad news bears again.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: So anyway, eventually they decided against that probably fake list of actresses and went with Penelope and Miller, who at the time had recently finished working with some of the best actress in they of the twentieth century, like Seriously, she.
Speaker 1: Wor Robin Williams, Chuck Norris Forget Well.
Speaker 2: She worked with Marlon Brando in The Freshman, she worked with Robert and Nero in Awakenings, and then Pee Herman in Big Top Peewee, so like it's just like a solid.
Speaker 1: Dudes, Okay, Big Top Peewee. No, I'm sorry. The first one, Peevy's Big Adventure. Yeah, I was recently reading about that and where Paul Rubins and Phil Hartman like when they came up with a script. They said, they just bought Sidfield's book about screenwriting and just followed the formula, like, okay, at page thirty, I lose my bike at page sixty to get my bike back, Like they just followed the beat points and wrote a story for him, Like that's brilliant that and it worked perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know they must have lost the books for that. I like the second one, but for that second one. But yeah, she was just the like when I saw her in Kindergarten cop Instill, she just Pee's girlfriend that loves egg salad sandwiches.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She sort of mentioned like working with them with these actors, we might as Pee Herman, but working with like esteemed actors during a two thousand and nine interview she did with AV Club, saying quote, I think initially and working with Arnold Schwarzenegger. But she said quote I think Initially, I kind of thought, am I doing the right thing for my career to be in this movie. She's talking about Kindergarten Cop obviously, but she continues by saying, I had just done theater and had just come off working with Robert de Niro in on Awakenings, and I was just like Arnold Schwarzenegger. He's like the Barbarian movies and stuff.
Speaker 1: But she then I was reading it and I could not put the script.
Speaker 2: But she says, uh, but I think he did a really good job in this film. It was funny, but it also has it also had suspense, and it was just turned.
Speaker 1: Out really well. End quote. But yeah, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, Kindergarten Cop was actually Penelope Anne Miller's fourth film that was released in nineteen ninety. Yeah, with the other three being Awakenings of Freshmen in Downtown, which never heard of that yea me either. It was Anthony, not Anthony Michael Hall.
Speaker 1: It's someone that's in Er Edwards. Yeah, Anthony Edwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty basically the same person.
Speaker 1: Was named Goose and yes, Goose and talk.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and now he's also the point guard for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Speaker 1: Also Revenge of the Nerves.
Speaker 2: Yes, never mind anyway, So okay, so moving on, and I don't have much for the rest of the cast, but Christian Slater was supposedly considered for the role of Culling Crew, the Arnold's nemesis.
Speaker 1: I was even say he was one of the careergartens that would be great.
Speaker 2: Apparently he turned it down in order to avoid becoming typecast, which I kind of called bullshit on this one because from the looks of his IMDb at the time, he seemed way too busy, Like he appeared in thirteen movies within a three year period from ninety nineteen ninety one, so he obviously wasn't turning anything down.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I don't believe that one. Well, we talked about I think in the other part we talked about the guy who played Colin Chris was three o'clock High.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's my uh because I got at this point he was getting lazy. But my only note what like as far as Richard Tyson was he was in three o'clock Eye. He was also in one other movie that War O'clockhaye, Yes, which was not which was actually a prequel which is weird.
Speaker 1: As far as the uh it's four a M.
Speaker 2: As far as the rest of the list for that role, it's kind of all over the place, which it includes Kyle McLachlan, Val Kilmer, Robert Danny Jr. Kevin Spacey, and then fucking space She's Daniel Stern.
Speaker 1: I don't know. To me the outlier, there's Kevin Spacey. What was he doing around that time, because I don't see him as being like the hey.
Speaker 2: We need a drug dealer, need to be like like right around yes, I mean that was only a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before Usual Suspects?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, what was he before Usual Suspects? What was Glenn Gary Glenn.
Speaker 1: Ross, Glenn Gary Glenn Ross. That was before I don't know. I still haven't seen that movie. All you really need to see is the Alec Baldwin speech. That's the rest of it. Yeah, it's fine. I just pulled up Kevin Spacey in one of the links is discography. I'm like, I'm not clicking on that.
Speaker 3: Gary was ninety two.
Speaker 1: Also, he was in a bunch of stuff like right before he blew up. Yeah, Like what I'm saying, it's like he wasn't really a big name back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now, compared to all the other names on that list.
Speaker 2: I would have been a weird one to well, I mean, was Daniel Stern big at that? I mean yeah, well Homelo Alone and all that shit and city slickers and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true, Home Alone hadn't come out. Home Alone came out around the same at the same time as this. I think it came out in ninety.
Speaker 2: No, it came out the same time as like the same time as Kindergarten Cop. So, yeah, it was just like it hadn't come out before they were when they were casting anyway, they yeah, so they eventually hired Richard Tyson. Luca said, which three o'clock eye? Is it actually good?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen since I was a kid.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It's such a fun movie.
Speaker 2: I remember loving it when I was a kid. Uh So, Moving on the role of Arnold's partner, Phoebe O'Hara, Catherine O'Hara obviously was considered.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 2: Everyone once once they couldn't hire an actress that had the same name. They supposedly considered Emma Thompson and then Harold Ramis when the role with the role supposedly rewritten to being a female character after he declined, and then they hired Pamela Ren Do.
Speaker 1: They try to go for the O'Hare airport Kindergarten air traffic controller.
Speaker 2: My my favorite one from IMDb is definitely for Eleanor Crisp, who was Chris a mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah Crisp anyway.
Speaker 2: Which says they offered the role to Audrey Hepburn, who was at the time was basically retired from acting, like she had semi retired from acting in nineteen I looked it up nineteen sixty seven, only to returning for like four roles before she died.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety three. Some say from regret Or regretted passing on this role.
Speaker 2: Hall oh wait no, Wikipedia says it's cancer. Never mind, sorry, but yeah, like, what's that?
Speaker 1: The one role that she she was.
Speaker 2: Like, oh man, like on her death when I got away, that was like her rose Button moment was Kindergarten cut up. I don't know, it was just like, Okay, that one's probably not real.
Speaker 1: Instead of Rosebud Dad's saying it's not a tumbe doctors, Actually it is.
Speaker 2: Well, she'd only done four movies and one of them was by Spill like a Spilberg movie.
Speaker 1: So it's like she's like, I'm gonna do a.
Speaker 2: Spielberg movie, and then after that the next year.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do an arm Schwartzeningger movie.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So, according to this totally real bit of trivia from IMDb, b Arthur was also considered because but couldn't get away because of Golden Girls.
Speaker 1: Which I don't know it would work, I guess sure. And then Laura McCall it seems too comical because the role, even though it's a silly movie, that role was like kind of like mean and serious. Yeah, it's just kind of yeah, yeah, I don't know. Laura McCall, Susan Randon, was she old enough at the time. I don't think she thinks so.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: And then finally the kids, who I just grouped together as one individual because yeah, anyway, So these ones are actually all true. But apparently the filmmaker's auditioned more than two thousand children to play the thirty kids in Kimball's class.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine the nightmare of that cast? Jesus.
Speaker 2: I think he said they did it one hundred kids at a time, I think, which sounds like way too many.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what are they Lord of the Flies? I'm like, all right, put one hundred. I mean, if you put one.
Speaker 2: Hundred in a room and I don't know, I don't know, that sounds horrible. Yeah, I was trying to think, like what would you have to do just play like you have to have them recite the.
Speaker 1: I just guess, well, because all it is is basically.
Speaker 2: Like I'm assuming these weren't I mean maybe they were for the like the main kids, But if they weren't for the main kids, you're basically just saying how how they listen? Right, Like if they can listen?
Speaker 1: Sure, so yes?
Speaker 2: Or follow direction rather but anyway, so uh. Elijah Wood has talked about how he auditioned for a role but didn't get it because I guess it was the worst audition he ever did. He didn't say which part I'm assuming, so I'm just gonna assume it was for Zack's dad, but he couldn't get it because he couldn't like believably take a punch to the stomach.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he'd make a.
Speaker 3: Good loll with his his weird face.
Speaker 2: Anyway, for the role of Dominic. They were originally opened a cast like Twins of either gender. Basically, they're just looking for twins, right, so they can work them double exactly, like because of those stupid child labor laws.
Speaker 1: And it was a bigger role but building for twins because Arnold's obsessed ever since his movie Twins, Like we got that needs to be a connection, did you guys?
Speaker 2: But okay, So the next things about the twenty twenty cast union, like during like a so there was a they did a partial cast reunion through Zoom in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: That sounds sad, Yeah, partial reunion.
Speaker 2: And it was just the kids or a few of the kids. So you had one of the kids that played Dominic, the two girls like the twins, the kid that spits out the cheetos on Arnold when it pulls them up, and then the little redheaded mister kimbol are you all right? And the one that says stranger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that kid?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so during that Zoom meeting, Tiffany and Crystal Matteris who played the two Tune girls whose dad was a sex machine, but they that they also like to fuck, which was weird because in that interview they kept talking about our dad. Loved that line. I was like, Okay, all right, dad, he's actually that suggested it.
Speaker 1: It was just it was a very awkward interview.
Speaker 2: But they revealed that they auditioned for the role of Dominic but eventually went to Joseph and Christian Cousins, who one of the guys was on there. But so none of you watched that, right, that Zoom reunion.
Speaker 1: No, I can't imagine why. No, exactly. That's like that seems like when you go to comic Con and there's someone who is a star in the seventies sitting alone at an autographed booth and just go up and oh, yeah, I do feel bad by walk by. I'm not gonna go up to him. I'm not gonna be the one.
Speaker 2: You probably could like exchange information and stuff like that, depending on how long he's been sitting there with no one talking to him.
Speaker 1: The thing is typically, I mean, in my experience, at least even though no one's there, they still are trying to charge for stuff. So I'm not gonna I'm not even this got twenty bucks. Maybe you can handle with them at that point. It's basically panhandling on a different level.
Speaker 2: I'm doing it out here, I'm doing it outside the he's like the convention Center. So I don't know, but I ended up watching that Zoom reunion because of this, and it's extremely awkward to start. And it starts because it starts off with just some of the actors who played the kids. As long is it it's about an hour.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was gonna say, if it's more than fifteen minutes, it's just well, it's good doing.
Speaker 2: So about thirty five minutes into it, they start getting a little more comfortable, and they're all they're doing is talking about filming and just like stuff they remember about it and some of it, which is stupid because I'm like, oh, that's interesting, it's probably write that down, and then I didn't, but then I'm not going to go back and watch it again. So I was like, Okay, well, I guess we're not going to mention that, So.
Speaker 1: Just stitch that hour into this pod right here.
Speaker 2: But about thirty five minutes into it, just as they start getting more comfortable, the host brings in Arnold Schwarzenegger and it just goes right back to awkward because he basically takes over the meeting and of course what they were talking about before, which I was actually enjoying because like they were giving, like they were talking like trivia effects. But he takes over the meeting and then like starts asking each one of them what they were doing, but like just the person and nobody else is talking, and then the person will kind of answer, but you can tell you can't really hear very well because he's like he's basically how i'd imagine having a zoom meeting with my grandpa would go like it was it's just weird because he's like, and what were you doing? And then that person will talk for a second, he's like oh, and then one of them does magic. Now he's like I love it, Oh okay, goodbye, and then it's like, okay, well I guess he's.
Speaker 1: Gone, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Like we should we should do something again.
Speaker 1: Well I don't know. It was entertaining, but awkward anyway.
Speaker 2: Okay, So moving on, the last couple of things that I have as far as the casting are just extra little tidbits. So the first one, this one is possibly intrue IMDb, but originally the principal was going to be male and was supposedly they wanted Rick Moranis to play the role, but he passed and they switched it to female and hired Linda hun which again yeah, next this one, actually I was I was able to confirm. But Stephen Root, who's probably most what he's like Milton from.
Speaker 1: Office James Radio. Yeah, like, I don't know what else is he to? Yeah, very anyway.
Speaker 2: So Stephen Root originally had five scenes that were part of a subplot that ended up being cut from the film. So do you remember how I mentioned that Kimbera and O'Hara never contacted the story of police like that will Yeah, Well, Stephen Root's character was credited as sheriff, so I'm assuming it had that was like a subplot that was cut.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they actually did, but apparently no one noticed, like because I didn't notice until this last time. But anyway, the final bit of casting him for I could find. So the baseball bat that O'Hara uses on Old Lady Crisp was played by a Don Mattingly model Louisville slugger who just hit that role out of the park anyway. Sorry, Okay, So the film's budget was anywhere between fifteen million, which was listed on IMDb and twenty six million, which was from the Hollywood Reporter. So let's say twenty two million.
Speaker 1: That's a It's a pretty safe range, though sometimes you see like ten million to fifty million.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Filming lasted from May thirty first to late August nineteen ninety, with them starting in a story of Oregon or Oregon for the first month, then filming the remainder in Los Angeles, supposedly in skid Row and Downtown LA, and then the mall scenes were shot at South Coast Plaza and Santa Ana. So, speaking of the mall scene, according to the AMC story notes, apparently that whole scene set there and possibly everything up until they had to Astoria. They designed it down, like down to the lighting and camera angles to parody the look of the terminator, and I think it's up to the plane scene. Like the AMC story note thing only says it was for the first part of Kindergarten Cops. So I'm not sure, but I can definitely see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about that. Like you from the open scene, you get that vibe. Yeah, he's that same kind of character. It's the same kind of yeah, exactly, Like definitely in the mall and even like that that that club which was just like a chain ling fence around and like, yeah, this is like dystopian futuristic. It's like in the first one.
Speaker 2: Was it called Club Noir or something like that tech noir techno? Yeah, anyway, moving on a story. Elementary was actually played by John Jacob. Astro Elementary School did a pretty good job and with actual students from the school playing extras and they were paid thirty five dollars a day, which good for them anyway. Fun fact, the school was actually used as a model for the school in the very first Silent Hill game in nineteen ninety nine, which nice. The last couple of things about filming in Astoria. Arnold gave a commencement speech tonight the nineteen ninety graduating class of Astoria High School.
Speaker 1: But it was very awkward. So you just want to graduate a guardia? Okay, what are you doing now?
Speaker 2: Every single person that walked through and then A story was actually the first place that Schwarzenegger laid eyes on a humby which which I swear to God.
Speaker 1: This is true, changed the course of humans.
Speaker 2: Exactly, which he eventually had a hand in getting GM to begin producing them for the general public.
Speaker 1: Right. Wow, yeah, he thought they were so cool. He wanted one, like the actual old the military. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, He's like, I want one of these. And then people like, holy shit, he's driving a humbye and like we should market this shit.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly, which, yeah, this is where he's the first time he saw one.
Speaker 1: Uh Okay.
Speaker 2: So all the classroom scenes were shot at Universal Studios, Hollywood, with the kids constantly climbing all over Arnold whiley when they weren't shooting. And I guess which sounds weird, but and I guess he would make I guess you would make them do jumping decks to try and calm them down a bit. He's like, I just incorporated the fitness. That's his answer for everything, and he's never wrong about it because apparently anyway it works. Yeah, apparently filming those scenes with the thirty kids was just super fun, with Ivan Wrightman telling the La Times in nineteen ninety quote, after the first day of filming, I was in sweat. I was in a sweat, my shirt was all wet, my voice was hoarse, and I had this really panic look in my eyes. So I developed the five Rightman rules of filmmaking, which were listen, act, natural, know, your character, don't look in the camera, and discipline. I think those are just for kids, but he doesn't say that works for Arnold too.
Speaker 1: End quote.
Speaker 2: But he then says the Pledge of Allegian scene was difficult to shoot due to it being a close up dolly shot, as it's like moving down a lot of kids and they wouldn't stay still, so to get their attention or to keep their attention rightman said he quote, He's like, I would walk behind sorry, I would walk beside the camera waving something so they would be distracted. And I was constantly talking while filming was going on, reminding them what their lines were. I kind of became a cheerleader, which I just think it's funny. They're like babies to where it's like.
Speaker 1: You said when he said he said it was difficult to shoot that scene, I first thought, I was like, oh, because the parents up there are very like I don't know if they're like anti government and fascist.
Speaker 2: Say that, yeah exactly, And for some reason, I'm I'm not sure why, but he never did another film like with kids after this, so because his.
Speaker 1: Five rules didn't work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, Penelope an Miller told People magazine in nineteen eighty three that she taught Renald Schwartzenegger to kiss on camera, which had he not kiss. I was just thinking, like, yeah, because Kelly Preston, at least Kelly Preston. So there was a quote. It was something like, you gotta you can't like make it look like you're swallowing each other. You got like I So I kind of told him like to like hold me behind my back and bring me in slowly and then kiss me or something like that. Yeah, so just to like, I don't know, maybe he.
Speaker 1: Just like, yeah me compare that to ConA when he tried to kiss that camel.
Speaker 2: He missed and it got his fist. Yeah, punched it accidentally. He was trying to kiss it, wasn't trying to punch it anyway. So as far as the release, Cone or Sorry, Kindergarten Cop was released domestically on December twenty first, nineteen ninety probably making eleven point two million on its opening weekend, but I don't know. Box Office Mojo has it listed at seven point nine million, but Kindergarten Cop is the only movie they have listed that weekend, So unless every theater was like fuck it, Kindergarten Cops coming out. We're closing down and we're only playing that Like that's those numbers aren't right, So we're going with the other one. Eleven point two million debuted at in the number two spot. It's opening weekend with Home Alone taking that number one spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By the way, Home.
Speaker 2: Alone had already been out for six weeks at this point, it was still the number one movie.
Speaker 3: So yeah, God, that movie is a fucking.
Speaker 2: I didn't actually look how long it was it like stayed in the number one spot, but I'm assuming it had to be through Christmas because this is what I say.
Speaker 1: This was December.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean that was through Christmas first Yeah, yeah, yeah, because yeah, it was a Christmas movie too. So uh. Anyway, as far as the rest of the weekend's box office top ten, it's.
Speaker 1: A pretty it's actually a pretty good list for the most part.
Speaker 2: Like you had Edward scissor Hands at number three with six million. Number four was Dances with Wolves with five point nine million. This was also usually December's around the time they release Oscar Contenders too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of Awards movies, yeah, which.
Speaker 2: Is what our next one was probably that's probably why it was released, which was look Who's talking to with five.
Speaker 1: Point eight million.
Speaker 3: Yep, strong contender.
Speaker 2: Number six was The Russian House, The Russia House, sorry, with four point four million, which I've never heard of before. I remember that, but was also it was released the same week and it starts Sean Connery.
Speaker 1: And Michelle Talker. Yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It says it was about a British publisher sent is sent a manuscript detailing Soviet and it basically the Hunt for October two. It sounds like, yeah, Soviet and.
Speaker 1: Nuclear missile capabilities. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Number seven, which was also released that week, was supposedly really bad, which was The Bonfire of the Vanities.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch that. Oh yeah, that was a mess, just production wise. I never saw it, but I just from hearing all the stories about what a nightmare was to make that movie? Was right?
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 1: Tom Hanks, Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks, Melanie Griffith.
Speaker 2: Griffith, Yeah, that made four point two million, and I'm pretty sure ended up bombing too. But number eight was Misery with four point one million, which is a good movie. Yeah, that was on its fourth week, but see that's where it like sounds right. Number eight fourth week I mean right ish, But anyway, So number nine was Three Men and a Little Lady, which made three point five million, and I definitely remember being bored while watching that in the theater, Like I know, I went and watch that one, which what if horrible?
Speaker 1: Like this movie sucks. I was gonna see look Who's Talking too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that movie. That's that's I mean, it's again. I'd probably have to watch Three Men in a Little Lady again. I'm like, it probably might. It might be like I'm like, this movie is so good, but as of right now, look Who's Talking? Two is definitely better.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Number ten was Mermaids, which made three point three million, and yeah, share Window and a writer in Christina Reachigency, I only saw. I haven't seen a lot of those ones, but it was a good list.
Speaker 1: I think. Was that one an Oscar one solid or no, I don't, I don't know, I don't remember. I probably should have looked that up. I don't think I've seen most of those.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I've only seen I've seen Luk Who's talking, Dancing with Wolves and Misery and then the first two. Yeah, anyway, as we mentioned during the summery Kindergarten Cop had a fifty two percent critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with most of the critics that gave it a better view like The Reason for It, where they decided the violence basically as a reason why, but.
Speaker 1: Mostly didn't like I'm punching that abusive dad. Yeah what, Mostly he's just trying to keep his family in line. That was actually one of the reviews.
Speaker 2: His last review too, anyway, But yeah, it was mostly because it was heavily promoted as a family film, and they were like, what the this is not really a family film? Got and their prudes apparently, but Roger Eiber gave it three out of four stars, and it's really the only one that matters, isn't it. Like Yeah, for sure, Gene Sisko didn't like it, but he'd be dead soon, so what doesn't matter. Sorry, I'm not the cut up what I said, And we can leave with due sit there.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Kindergarten Cop ended up making ninety one point five million domestically and then two hundred and two million worldwide, and was nineteen ninety's ten tighest grossing movie worldwide, which just like must have eaten up Riven Wrightman just like, oh ten kidding me, And I'm pretty sure it only got like worse from there as far as his top ten, so he shouldn't relish that anyway. This comes from IMDb, so but it sounds like true.
Speaker 1: Include anyway.
Speaker 2: When the release date was announced in for December nineteen ninety, Universal Pictures as well as Arnold Schwarzeneer and Ivan Wrightman were unaware that Home Alone was supposed to be released at the same time. So it says while Home Alone continued to stay on top, which is bullshit because it had been out for six weeks at the time.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was about to say, they probably just didn't know it was gonna be that, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he says, while Home Alone would continue to stay at the top, Schwarzenegger started like pushing.
Speaker 1: I thought it would hurt, call it talking around. Yeah, I think you're better than me. Mar Here.
Speaker 2: He started pushing for a Universal had tried to delay the movie to spring of nineteen ninety one, supposedly because he didn't want to compete with it, but they said no. Apparently, Schwarzenegger said that he felt that it unperformed compared to Twins due to the competition from Home Alone, which could be true.
Speaker 1: I don't know anyway.
Speaker 2: Maybe either way, Like, I'm sure Home Alone didn't help. It didn't help that Home Alone was released this because obviously it would have been in a number one movie. But Schwarzinger did end up saying years later that the film could have grossed an extra twenty five million, which is very specific, by the way, Yeah, like if.
Speaker 1: It was less violent, It's just like, why do why twenty five million? Half? Where'd you come up with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's calculated the price of every.
Speaker 2: But I even Wrighten encountered by saying that he felt the violence quote had to be there, the film would just peter out at the end.
Speaker 1: I ryme, was like, we needed more violent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wouldn't have a fight club between the kids. Studio wouldn't let him.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: By the way, they did end up making a Kindergarten Cop two, which I guess.
Speaker 1: Was they I guess Universal, which.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a studio.
Speaker 2: It was actually considered a remaking, not a sequel though, because it.
Speaker 1: Was Dominant's people. He's like, you know what, let's do this again.
Speaker 2: Which wouldn't surprise me because I don't know what those kids are doing. But By the way, I lied when I said Kindergarten Cop was the only credit from a Screenwtder Murray Salem because he also has Kindergarten Cop two on there, so he's got two credits. But yeah, that it starts Dolph Lungern and I think Bill Bellamy, I think, but I'm not positive. Anyway, that sounds awesome. Yeah, well, we're gonna end.
Speaker 1: Up doing it eventually.
Speaker 2: I think it was twenty seventeen or nineteen or something like that that recent Yeah, it was real way, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Jesus, So is Dolph I don't know. I guess we'll do it eventually. But is Dolph Lundgren the teacher?
Speaker 1: Well, he's the cop, the cops last teacher. Let's see it came out in twenty sixteen. He got twenty sixteen, shocking. Yeah, that means like twenty years we'll get like Kindergarten Cop three excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, starring someone I can't think anyone. Okay, So anyway, apparently Arnold also won a Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Award for Favorite Movie Actor for this movie. So for the role, yeah, which I should have looked up. Who he was going up against is nineteen ninety No it would have been ninety one because this came out dece I don't know how those awards work.
Speaker 3: It would have had to be for this thing came out come out.
Speaker 1: I wasn't like ninety two or something.
Speaker 3: Was it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway, anyway, I'll get you guys talking, then look it up. The second thing was that basically Okay, so he did the show with what stan Lee called Superhero Kindergarten.
Speaker 3: A superhero kindergarten, yes.
Speaker 1: Which I don't think is what it's called that. It's a Netflix show.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't think it was called that, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stan Lee's a superhero Kindergarten.
Speaker 3: That is a bad name for that.
Speaker 2: All right, so he did he did that show came from desire to do a sequel to this kindergarten cop Well, yeah, so is.
Speaker 3: He actually in it?
Speaker 1: Yes? I look.
Speaker 2: I took a quick look at the IMBB credits, which I'm assuming we'll get to it eventually. Maybe sure, it'll just be like a there's got to be like an episode that's where it's just like all the extra crap. But anyway, I don't mean crap but except I'm sure it's a nice show. Anyway, Yes, he's in every episode. I believe he plays like the teacher I would assume. But okay, anyway, okay, so let's move on to the clips promo stuff. So pretty much any clips I could find to promote Kindergarten Cop we're kind of eh.
Speaker 1: They were fine.
Speaker 2: There was kind of born like just regular interview clips, but I was able to find one from the same year, so we're gonna watch that, and then I have two more that are from random years, but they all feed Arnold.
Speaker 1: This time. There was in our Sittingill Hall.
Speaker 2: One that I found that was like disappointing. He was just playing it very straight, like he's usually like kind of jokey, like Yeah. There's one Perterminator two as well, which I was like, oh, like I've been looking forward to watching it because I was like, all right, or sending you Hall. But yeah, anyway, okay, So this first one is from a nineteen ninety interview Rinold did with Lisa Gibbons from for Entertainment Tonight, and it's to promote the Tales from the.
Speaker 1: Crypt episode that he directed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they eventually end up talking about his newmorn daughter Katherine, and how he likes being a dad.
Speaker 1: So yeah, let's take a look at that.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 6: On top of his directing debut, Schwarzenegger recently made his debut as a daddy, seeing here leaving the hospital with wife Maria Schreiver and baby Catherine, now nine weeks old. It's the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me, is having this new little baby and being a girl.
Speaker 1: On top of it.
Speaker 6: You know how he spoiled little girls, and so I have such a wonderful time playing with it every morning when I get up and I'm home at night, you know, the hangout isn't sitting there in my arms since just watching it. It's just really absolutely fantastic. But the most admirable thing of all is obviously the woman about this whole thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but I absolutely love love when people who aren't used to being around babies refer to them as it.
Speaker 4: Mean.
Speaker 2: They usually don't realize they're doing it. It just makes me laugh every single time, like you know, you're calling the baby it right, Like yeah, it's just always funny to me, And you.
Speaker 3: Know, anybody could do it once by accident, but he did it like four times in a row there, so clearly that's like how he thinks.
Speaker 2: Of it, and he did it in the Arsenion one too, but it's just I don't know which I get because is a new new dad, not used to being around kids, but it's sure, it's just always funny to me anyway. Okay, So this next one is a twenty thirteen interview that Arnold did with The Sun, which I believe is the kind of like the UK version of TMZ I think, but I could be wrong on that.
Speaker 3: I think they're like mostly a tabloid.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's for a new web series from the Sun called Bizarre Live web Chat, and it's not the whole video, so I'm not exactly sure who's interviewing him, but he's there promoting The Last Stand and there are two parts I wanted to show you guys. So the first one is him talking about which movie he regrets not taking, So yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 9: There are great Hollywood stories about people like Tom Sealey turning down the chance to be Indiana Jones. Is there one film that you really regret or one part you regret turning down from King Kuna?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember that Jerry Bruckheimer came to me with the script for The Rock that the John Connery ended up doing and Nicholas Cage, and I was offered the Nicholas Cage pot. But there was like eighty pages and with scribbles and handwritten stuff over this is shit and that's not to do this page and let's rewrite this. I looked at this thing as I was in a little of filming, and I looked at this script and I said, what that? Because I can't commit to that. I said, why didn't you get the act together and come back with a good script. Well, in the meantime, they did get the act together and then they hired the you know a Nigga's Cage, and I really loved that movie. I thought it turned out fantastic. And by the way, Niggas Cage did an extraordinary job. So I don't know if I would have been able to do as good a job as he did. But I mean, I was mad that I turned down the draw because it was really a great role. So those things happened. But in the meantime there's also other situations where I fought for a script and you know, to get away from someone else right, and it ended up being a great script. So he said, yeah, it's both ways. Like I said, there's really no science behind it.
Speaker 2: Okay, first off, I that movie would have been like accent horrific if he would have played that part that was going.
Speaker 3: To I can't believe it was for the Nick Cage, but like, I know, he's not as old as Sean Connery.
Speaker 2: But exactly the character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the character like that just sets.
Speaker 2: So that's exactly my next note, which is like Nicholas Cage's character was like the more he's like mild mannered, practical, like some not submissive but like uh like that, well.
Speaker 3: He's like subdue, yes, neurotic though, yeah, in that, which Arnold doesn't really do.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming you would have had to be rewritten if Arnold signed on to it, because Sean Connery's character was the Schwartz, the neigarian character.
Speaker 3: Of exactly like I would expect him to be playing the former foreign spy who broke out of alcol who was like the one man who broke out of Alcatraz. I don't know, I just feel like he fits that role way better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you also can't really have all the leads in the movie playing the same character, so he like he would have had to play a different character otherwise you just end.
Speaker 1: Up with sabotage, which yeah, saw that.
Speaker 2: One, and then like the other thing was is The Rock also came out in nineteen ninety six, like two weeks before E Racer, So there's like some alternate universe where Arnold's stars in The Rock with Sean Connery. But then that misses everything up because then like does a racistar Nicholas Cage or does he end up doing Daylight and Sylvester Saloon signs on to do a racer? Because who else was there John Clauwe Van Dam, Stephen Segall. Neither of those Jebbronis had the chops to handle a racers like big old fat ass. You know, I don't know, like I was just thinking about that because I was like, sorry, I ended up looking up what they were doing. All those actress were no, not not cigall like Vandam. They weren't going to get those parts. Yeah, definitely not so yeah, definitely not the well, yeah, because he doesn't have a sense of humor, it seems like. But Van Dam was actually apparently huge at this time because This was like when he was on Friends, So I'm assuming that's when he was huge.
Speaker 3: That's your that's your metric. Yeah, that's that is Yeah makes sense because that was also like who else was there?
Speaker 2: It was like Bruce Willis who was doing nothing. I think he did a He did a movie where he's wearing a fedora.
Speaker 8: You need twelve Monkeys coming around?
Speaker 2: That was his next movie. I think after this Hudson.
Speaker 3: I thought Hudson Hawk was earlier. I thought that was like early nineties.
Speaker 1: No, Hudson.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's like Last Man Standing or something like that. He was on that show. I don't know what it was that John Belushie.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's the Tim Allen show.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah Tim Allen, No, sorry, he was. He was doing a movie called Last Man Standing where he's weren a fedora doora in the the poster. But yeah, Stallone was doing like Daylight, which I like. But is I don't know, more just a flood. Yeah it's a flood movie.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, because who could have who could have done a racer? Anybody? I guess did you guys have received Twelve Monkeys?
Speaker 3: I still haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: I did once but I was really high. I don't remember.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's really good.
Speaker 3: Really, I've heard nothing but things about it, but I've never watched.
Speaker 1: I love that movie.
Speaker 2: You don't direct se is that like Terry Gilliam or oh yeah so it's weird? Yeah yeah, yeah, I think that was the movie he did after this was between because wait, Paul fiction was like ninety four, wasn't it ninety four?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, but there was a little gap where he did a like some show called it was like a cartoon called Brute because you know, like his his like Bruno was like his like character that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it, that's his like music persona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he'd like little Bruno. That was a cartoon that he did around that time. So I just thought, like, oh, a little Bruno anyway, okay, sorry, oh yeah. The second thing I wanted to show you guys from this interview is just Arnold talking about an unusual encounter with the fan.
Speaker 1: So yeah, go ahead, Okay, where's the.
Speaker 9: Most unusual place you've had one of your catchphrases repeated to you?
Speaker 4: Uh in really weird places. I mean I was sitting one of them in the toilet. And let's start to us, I said, next door, I heard the loud thought, I heard the toilet flashing, and then someone spitting, and then all of a sudden, I'll be back to open up that big is in toilet. It's a really weird places, but it's really interesting those lines, because you don't know when you do the movie.
Speaker 2: You can, yeah, puse it there if you want, because we've heard he's that's what he said during the during the like we did the other one press cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. That's just sound like a shitty situation, stupid, That's that's.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm like, just go first thought, best thought, and it was not the best thought anyway, Okay, and then this last one we were.
Speaker 3: Just kept getting better though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This, this last one is from the year two thousand, with Arnold appearing. By the way, every time I say that, because this is writing it down, all I could think of was the coner Brian. Yeah, because that's how I heard it in my head all the time whenever. This is the year two thousand, anyway, So with Arnold appearing on the view to promote the sixth Day, and this is Barbara Walters asking him how things around the house due to the upcoming two thousand presidential election.
Speaker 7: Right, you probably get to the cloning business and without you know, without talking about candidates and presidents.
Speaker 1: I just want to know.
Speaker 2: What it is like, what is like to use these last couple of weeks when you and Maria are diametrically opposed in who you are or wherefore?
Speaker 6: Well, it's one of these odd things, you know.
Speaker 4: Venever, the GOA was ahead with the in the polls.
Speaker 1: Maria was the nicest woman in the house. Oh honey, darling, don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: Maybe the next four years something better will happen and you're still wonderful, Honold, you're the greatest as soon as.
Speaker 1: Push as the head in the polls.
Speaker 6: So she started locking the bedroom door.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 9: How you feel your life might be better?
Speaker 6: If Gore is it up with you?
Speaker 1: It's tough.
Speaker 4: The other day I said that Maria has let's make love, and she says, okay, cover me up.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: Fucking Rodney Dangerfield.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They're an old dangers.
Speaker 2: They're just like some interviews where he's on fire, like with the stories and jokes. It's great because it has like a similar vibe to like a live comedy show and a comics killing and the crowd is just like hanging on every word. But I don't know, he's definitely knew well with that one. But yeah, that is the last one I have for this, so it all right.
Speaker 3: That's gonna wrap it up for our production episodes. Thank you very much Dave for being on our episode again.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you last.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and uh, I guess there's really only one thing left to say.
Speaker 1: I'll be back.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, definitely.
Speaker 1: It's not a tumor.
Speaker 3: If you enjoy our show, please consider giving us a positive review on Apple Podcasts or your podcast app of choice. You can follow us on Twitter and Instagram at the Potty Richter to make sure you never miss an episode. See You with the Potty Richter is a production of tape Deck Media. Follow tape Deck on Instagram at tape deck Underscore Media, or look us up on Facebook for more hilarious podcasts.
Speaker 1: This has been a tape Deck Media production. Thank you for listening.