Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM sixty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio apps. I want to say a happy birthday a day late to my sister in law, Casey. Of course I wish my brother a happy birthday, and he doesn't even listen. She listens every days and I forgot to mention her yesterday. So sorry about that, Casey. And also today would have been my dad's birthday. Sure miss him. So you guys know the ring doorbell dilemma that I have. I okay, so here's the latest. I ran out of the free trial and it keeps going, Oh, you you're going to run out of the recording where you can play back the videos for and you know, forever. And I'm like, well, do I really need that? Do I have to pay for a subscription or can I just you know, have the alerts of somebody's at the front door. So I'm holding off. I'm paying for the subscription. I have enough subscriptions. But you know what hasn't stopped the messages. Anyone see these lights last night freeway north of Highland going towards Universal. What are they? Ooh, there's a helicopter flying around right now. Any idea what's going on besides drones? Anybody know of any mobile pet grooming in downtown La Hey? Did you see the lights on the night sky? Oh? Spotted a very friendly black cat in Echo Park.
Speaker 2: It's worth worse the next door.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's hysterical. Oh there's another helicopter in Eagle Rock circling what seems to be the new car wash. Oh no, oh, found a dog on Normandy. I mean, like, it's crazy, so there's got to be a way to turn it off. There is, but now it's become sort of a thing that I think it's funny, so I just leave it on. Okay, here's what's a head on wake up call. The rebuilding process has officially begun for the first of more than nine thousand homes and other buildings burned in Altadena. Homeowner Margot Stuber was joined by County Supervisor Catherine Barger yesterday for the groundbreaking. Stuper says she's hoping to be able to move into her new home in January. Thousands of La County workers have walked off the job for a forty eight hour strike. The union claims the county is spending two hundred five million dollars on things like office space and a skyscraper in downtown, while insisting there's no money to give employees a raise. A bill has been introduced in Sacramento to make the Internet more affordable. It aims to require providers to offer plans for no more than fifteen bucks a month, and that's for people who qualify for cal fresh or medical. Estimates are that more than three million people don't have reliable access to high speed internet. Well, it's all about the first one hundred days. We're going to take a quick look back and recap what President Trump has done since taking office with ABC's Karen Travers in about two minutes, and then at five point twenty, the Borders are had some choice words about the past administration's border stance. ABC's bar is going to join us to talk about Tom Holman's continued tough stance on illegal border crossings. Just after five thirty, ABC Stephen Portnoy joins it. He's got the results of a brand new poll about how people in America feel about, you know, things like taking over Greenland and annexing Canada And how about an ev for twenty thousand dollars. A host of how to money on KFI. Joel Larsgaard says one is about to hit the market, and also how saving a little bit goes a long way and predicting your financial well being in the future. Definitely tuning in for that.
Speaker 3: I have to.
Speaker 1: I'll be talking to him anyway. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La County supervisors are considering an ordinance to allow for fire debris cleanup at properties where the owners have failed to opt in to have the government do it and haven't hired their own private contractor. The removal work has to be done by June thirty if if the ordinances approved, properties that haven't been cleared by that date will be declared a public nuisance and a health hazard, and if the county then clears the debris, the property owner will get the bill. The ATF is doing a controlled burn in Pacific Palisades to try to figure out how the massive wildfire started in January.
Speaker 4: The burn will be conducted along the Tamescal Ridge trail between Skull Rock and Green Peak, near where the initial fire is believed to have started. The Los Angeles Fire Department will have firefighters on hand to protect public safety and the environment during the burn.
Speaker 1: Kay if i's Daniel Martindale says the burn is said to be done tonight. Between tonight and Thursday, detectives have released images of a man who sexually assaulted a woman on a metro bus in East Hollywood. Laped says it happened shortly before ten pm on April twelfth, near Sunset Boulevard and Vermont Avenue. The man sat next to the woman and pulled a knife on her. He then assaulted her after she told him she didn't have any money. Then he got off the bus and ran off toward Fortieth Place. A bear has broken into an ice cream shop near Lake Tahoe and made off with a tasty treat. The owner of Tahoe Time ice Cream and Coffee shop says she and her crew went on a lunch break Sunday, and when they returned, they found a trash can had been knocked over, the ice cream freezer was open, and a three gallon tub of chocolate chip cookie ice cream was gone. They say the barry even tried to get back inside to get more. It's five oh seven on your Tuesday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, the first hundred days been anything but boring. So let's take a quick look back at what he's done and what the President hasn't done in the first one hundred Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean what he has done is came in promising swift change, and he has really relied on executive actions to move his agenda forward. He's signed more than one hundred and forty executive orders since January twentieth, according to the Federal Register, and has really leaned on that to try to get things done. And that's what the administration will point to. He's taken swift action on immigration ice raids across the country. The Department of Homeland Security says there have been one hundred and fifty thousand deportations so far. On tariffs, I think that's the big thing, the big action on the economy, the sweeping set of tariffs that he announced on nearly ninety countries, most on pause right now after the stock market took a significant nose dive, but the President told me ten days ago that they will go back into effect if there are not trade deals reached at the end of this pause, and notably, poll after poll over the last several days have shown Americans are not feeling great about the economy. Seventy three percent in our polls that it's in bad shape right now, fifty three percent gotten worse since he took office, and really all of the underlying reasons for that is the tariffs and the trade war right now that are happening, which I ama, okay, and.
Speaker 1: What the tariffs being the main sticking point as you mentioned, are there are there any things that are getting a good response from the public, you know.
Speaker 5: In terms of the polls right now. You know, when you look at it, forty six percent approve of the president's immigration policies. That was obviously a big thing that he talked about as a candidate, people like that when he was on the campaign trail. But notably forty eight percent say that the actions supporting undo undocumented migrants have gone too far. You know, we might have talked about this earlier too, that you know, his approval rating right now is that just thirty nine percent. That is the lowest at one hundred days mark for any president over eighty years since we've been doing this polling and was.
Speaker 1: Thirty nine percent. Sounds kind of familiar. Is that kind of where he hovered during his first presidency.
Speaker 5: I have to go back and look and see I think probably around that forty percent mark. But you know, presidents tend to come in higher view. You just got elected, so if you won the election, people might be feeling good. It's striking to see kind of this sharp decline and really, again just to underline some of those economic bullet points in the poll, it is very interesting to see that when you drill down in it why people are not feeling good about the economy. What they're saying is the reason that they don't think things are good right now is specifically about the policies. You know, it's not some outside force, it's not some global trend. They're saying it's because of the administration's policies, specifically on trade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I bet ABC has lots and lots of questions for the president on how he thinks things are going. And you guys get that opportunity, don't you.
Speaker 5: Coming up in a couple of hours by colleague Terry Moran will sit down with the president. You'll be able to hear that. See that tonight in a big special, but stay tuned for that. We're going to get quite a bit of time with the president later this morning.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Okay, Karen Travers, ABC News White House Correspondent, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Have a great thing, all right, you too.
Speaker 1: Bet she's busy today talking about the first one hundred days. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Michigan Democratic Representative Shri Thanadar. Since President Trump is unfit to serve and plans to introduce articles of impeachment against the president, Thanadar says Trump presents a clear and present danger to the constitution and our democracy. Texas Democratic Congressman Al Green, you may remember he was censured for interrupting Trump's speech to a joint session of Congress, says he too, plans to introduce articles of impeachment against Trump. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, who replaced Justin Trudeau, has won the support of Canadians in a victory for his party. ABC's ran On Ali says Carneie's Liberal Party has won the country's federal election.
Speaker 6: It marks the historic turnaround for the party, fueled in part by President Trump's tariffs and talk about making Canada the fifty first state.
Speaker 1: In a victory speech, Carnegie stressed the importance of Canadian unity in the face of Washington's threats. He said President Trump is trying to break Canadians so American or American can own them. But he says that's not going to happen. Power has been almost fully restored to Spain and Portugal. A massive outage yesterday grounded flights, shut down transit systems, disrupted phone communications, and shut down ATMs across the Iberian Peninsula. I need to check my geography this morning. More than ninety nine percent of energy demand in Spain has been restored, and Portugal's grid operator said all of its eighty nine power substations were back online. It's still not clear what caused the outage. At least four girls have been killed in Illinois by a car that crashed into an after school program near Springfield.
Speaker 4: The vehicle struck multiple persons outside of the building before continuing through the building and exiting.
Speaker 1: The police chief in Chatham, Scott Tartar, says the students killed yesterday ranged in age from four to eighteen. The driver has been arrested. The US Navy says a fighter jet has rolled off an aircraft carrier and right into the Red Sea. ABC Stephen Portnoy says it happened off the coast of Yemen.
Speaker 7: The incident occurred as the seventy million dollar jet was being towed from the hangar bay of the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman. Two crew members, one on board the FA eighteen and another inside the tractor, jumped out in time.
Speaker 1: Officials say one sailor wind hurt, but not seriously. The House has passed a bill known as the Take It Down Act to combat revenge porn. The Senate unanimously passed it in February, so now it goes to President Trump's desk for his signature. The bill makes it a federal crime to post real or fake sexually explicit images of a person online without their consent. Breast milk donations are down in California.
Speaker 8: Mother's Milk Bank California says only two percent of eligible moms are donating breast milk, yet the demand for donor milk is growing. The bank says it has seen a thirty percent increase in requests over the past year. The Milk Bank and Senator Dave Cortesi have authored State Resolution twenty establishing May as California's first ever human milk donation month to address this issue. The resolution will be presented at the State Capitol May first. Depor Mark kff I News, the.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl winning Philadelphia Eagles have been welcomed to the White House.
Speaker 9: See have turned out to be an incredible team, an incredible group.
Speaker 1: It was a large and festive gathering yesterday. Even though some players didn't show up, President Trump didn't seem to notice.
Speaker 9: Complimenting Sai Kuan's historic season was an incredible year from star quarterback Jalen Hurtz, and he really played a He had a great season and a great game.
Speaker 1: The missing players blamed scheduling conflicts for missing the ceremony. Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Marlins at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch goes out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all the Dodger games on AM five to seventy LA Sports. You can also stream them in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. Zen She handcrafted sushi made fresh daily at Ralph's near the deli counter when we come back. Oh, we're not going to be talking to Luke Barr. He had to go. So I think we're going to talk to Jim Ryan about making things real. How about that Jim Ryan making things real? That's coming up next.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Wake Up Call on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: It's a Taco Tuesday songs tacos. I know we always talk about Taco Tuesday. We never have them.
Speaker 2: I know we should.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 1: Well, will, let's put you on that.
Speaker 2: We'll do it next week.
Speaker 1: All right, Wait, I won't be here next weekly. Oh and by the way, you might have noticed Heather Brooker sitting next to me this morning. Good morning, hello Heather. Yeah, so I'm gonna I'm going to take a vacation next week. And you guys are so lucky because you get to have Heather fill in for me. Yay, Yes, you are gonna have so much fun. I can't wait. We will be working hard. Good because I'm going to be playing hard, playing hard. Okay, here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. People may see flames and smoke in Pacific Palisades this week not to worry atf is doing a controlled burn between tonight and Thursday to help determine how the Palisades fire started in January. The burn will be conducted along the timescal Ridge Trail between Skull Rock and Green Peak, near where the fire is believed to have sparked. The La City Council will vote on a motion to reduce fees and other roadblocks to film production in LA. The motion would include adjusting city fees, permits, parking and security requirements for filming on city owned properties and new sound stages. A mural honoring the lives of Kobe and Gianna Bryant has been vandalized. The mural on Main Street in downtown LA depicts Kobe with Gianna when she was a toddler. The artist who created it says he's planning to restore it. At six oh five, it's handled on the news. You might notice Bill jumping up and down. That's because nearly half of Americans are giving President Trump an f Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Good morning, Jim.
Speaker 2: Doesn't take much of get Bill jumping up and down.
Speaker 7: It does not.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we were starting we're sitting here thinking because RFK Junior is making moves to get rid of artificial So we're thinking of things like skittles, hot cheetos, cotton candy, fruit loops, kool aid. Who doesn't love cherry kool aid, marachino cherries, those kinds of things, and he wants to get rid of them all. Well, not the things that dyes.
Speaker 2: The dyes, the artificial dies.
Speaker 10: Then the synthetic coloring, the chemically based stuff that we find in so many foods to make them more appetizing. You know, we eat with our eyes, and then we eat with our You eat with your nose, you smell the scent of it, and then you finally put it in your mouth. But eating with your eyes comes first. And the folks, the good people who make tricks learned a hard lesson. About eight years ago. Consumers were demanding and advocates were demanding that the artificial colors be taken out of tricks. There they were bright blue, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, and so the artificial colors were taken out and they were sort of a muted tone of kind of acrew or light baby blue maybe, And you know, they still have those in Canada but they the people. The sales started to slip because people just didn't didn't think they looked as good. They tasted about the same, but they looked different. So the food companies learned a hard lesson from that. So when RFK Junior says you must take out your artificial colorings by the end of next year, or at least sit out and talk with us about it, the food companies are like, okay, yeah, well, we'll get around to that at some point in the future.
Speaker 2: But it's expensive and it's very time consuming.
Speaker 1: Amy well to figure out new combinations of or new ways to color them, and.
Speaker 10: All the testing that has to go into that to ensure first of all that the new natural color is safe and second that it's going to fly with consumers. Because we're talking about, you know, products that people buy and then they eat. Some of these colors are the natural colors are ten times as expensive to produce as their artificial equivalent. Now there's a color called Barbie pink. Have you ever had, for example, pink yogurt, and you've probably had red, you know, candy, stuff like that. You know what makes it or what in many cases gives it that color. A little insect called the coach and eel, which lives on prickly pears in Perule, the Canary Islands and Wajaca, Mexico. They have for centuries have been harvesting this little tiny insects. It's very very small, and it's dried and then it's ground up and it gives off this bright red color. It's been used in textiles, and yes, it's used in some foods that you probably have eaten. Red velvet cake, for example, has traces of this. It's not vegetarian. If you're a vegetarian, you're eating meat if you eat coach and eel insects, and they can cause allergy issues. So and you know how this is what I'm talking about the cost of switching to a natural and the the trouble and expense. It takes seventy thousand coaching eal insects to get two pounds of dye to put into food or textiles or whatever you're using it in.
Speaker 3: Too bad.
Speaker 1: They can't figure out how to use mosquitos to color stuff. There's lots of them.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, are your own.
Speaker 10: And then you've got to convince people people hearing that they're eating coach and ill insects aren't going to be happy about that. Mosquitos probably not that either.
Speaker 1: So I'm thinking things like jelly bellies are going to have a real issue because almost all of those have fun colors.
Speaker 10: Well they do, right, bright bright colors, and and by design, you know, they they put those colors into the first place because it draws your eye, and it draws your dollars to buy this stuff, and then it's psychologically changes the taste of it taste. So yeah, we're looking at potential changes over the coming years. PepsiCo, the maker of all sorts of snack foods, says, okay, fine, we're going to start right now with lazed potato chips and tostitos, which don't have really bright, brilliant colors in them anyway. So they're going to take those natural color and natural are those artificial colors out and put in natural colors.
Speaker 2: Maybe not too far a stretch on that at least.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a question for you, Jim, isn't we kept hearing that a lot of these guys are already banned in Europe, so it's not like it's not a big deal, Like, why don't we just replicate what Europe is doing.
Speaker 2: Well, it could, but it.
Speaker 10: Takes Let's say you're going to replace the artificial red dye that's in some foods and replace it with the beat juice that can be used, and it can be blanded out, so it doesn't really create much taste, but it does give it that red color. First, you have to grow a whole crop of beats. Then you have to strain them out, you have to process them. It takes years, a couple of years at least to do that, and so it's not as easy to just saying out, well, the Europeans are doing it, we can do it tomorrow. It's going to take time. So I think his his quote deadline by the end of next year is a little bit you know, Pie in the sky, red green.
Speaker 2: Pie in the sky.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I will just end this segment by saying, we were in Disneyland this over the weekend and we had a mocktail. Well I didn't have the mocktail. My friend had a mocktail. I had the real cocktail, but she had, yeah, the real deal. I the real deal. But they used an apple slice. And then also these cherries that were like this deep, deep, deep rich bread that they looked like they were natural, and I'm like they look better than a Maraschino cherry because they look like they're real.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well canned fruits and some fruits in jars like Maraschino cherries. They have little insects that I'm a coaching.
Speaker 1: Eil interesting interesting Abec's Jim Ryan, I'm gonna go eat some bugs.
Speaker 2: Enjoy.
Speaker 1: Thank you, have a great day.
Speaker 2: Thanks see.
Speaker 1: Train service through Orange County has been shut down for six weeks because of emergency repairs needed.
Speaker 11: Passenger trains will not be running between San Diego and Orange Counties after the real lines were impacted by recent landslides. The Orange County Transportation Authorities says the emergency work will also protect trains from bluff and coastal erosion and storm surges. A bus connection will be provided between Oceanside and Irvine. Jack Cronin Kaphi news.
Speaker 1: Man charged with felony animal abuse for allegedly slamming his five month old puppy onto the ground and kicking and dragging the dog down the street in Long Beach, is scheduled to be arraigned today. Alexander Kwaeva could face up to four years in state prison if convicted. The German shepherd mix continues to recover under the care of Long Beach Animal Care Services. One of ten people on trial in Paris accused of robbing Kim Kardashian back in twenty sixteen, says he has something to say to her.
Speaker 12: Unus a boss, telling the Associated Press he didn't know who Kardashian was until the morning after the robbery and is looking forward to his day in court an opportunity to apologize.
Speaker 1: ABC's Melissa Aiden says millions of dollars worth of Kardashian's jewelry was stolen in the robbery. Twelve people were charged, one has since died, another can't be tried because of a medical condition. California apparently believe they need nearly one and a half million dollars to retire comfortably.
Speaker 3: That figure accounts for saving sources like four oh one ks and iras, but excludes real estate. According to a twenty twenty five Northwestern Mutual survey for the San Francisco Chronicle, California's magic number for retirement is the same as last year. It's also two hundred ten thousand dollars higher than the average Americans expectation. This indicates that Californians are feeling the effects of inflation and the state's high cost of living. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man airlifted off Mount Fuji in Japan clearly didn't learn his lesson.
Speaker 13: A Chinese student living in Japan made a call last week to be rescued from about ten thousand feet up on the roughly twelve thousand foot mountain because of altitude sickness. On Saturday, he was airlifted again off the mountain after another climber found him unable to move because of altitude sickness.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 13: What was he doing up there four days after the first rescue. He was looking for his cell phone and other stuff that he left behind from the previous rescue. There is no charge or penalty when a climber needs to be rescued, even if it's not the first time. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know he could have died. I should be I shouldn't laugh at that, but come on, really, when we come back. ABC, Stephen Portnoy has results of a brand new poll about how people feel about you know, the president saying that we need to take over Greenland or Annex Canada.
Speaker 6: You're listening to a wake up call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. More than fifty five thousand employees have walked off the job in La County. The union says it's the first strike of its kind in the county and is expected to impact several services, including non urgent health clinics, public libraries, wildfire cleanup services, trash pickup, and homeless camp enforcement. The strike is scheduled to end tomorrow evening. The La County Board of Supervisors is going to be considering approving an ordinance to allow for fire to breed cleanup at properties where owners opted out of having the Army Corps of Engineers do it but haven't hired a contractor to do it either. Those properties would be declared a public nuisance after June thirtieth, and then the properties would be cleared and the homeowner would be charged for the cleanup. Looking for a good paying job out of college, you may want to major in something other than education, social work, or the arts. A report from the Federal Reserve Bank shows graduates in those degrees, or with those degrees who work full time earn the lowest median incomes five years after finishing school at six h five. It's handle on the news one hundred twenty k in one hundred days. We'll talk about deportations. Right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. President Trump has said a lot of things in his first one hundred days, and a brand new poll out shows that some of the things the president wants to do are not popular with the people.
Speaker 6: Well, that's right.
Speaker 7: I mean, these are some of the more outlandish proposals that we've heard about in recent years, for example, the US taking over Canada, the US taking over Greenland, president running for a third term, President sending American citizens to overseas prisons. The ABC News Washington Post IPSOS poll finds overwhelming majorities disagree with these ideas. Eighty six percent say they oppose the US trying to take control of Canada, seventy six percent say they don't want the US to try to acquire Greenland, eight in ten say the president should not try to sidestep the Constitution to serve a third term, and two thirds oppose sending American citizens to prisons overseas. But this poll also shows that majorities believe the president is serious about each of these ideas. Seventy one percent say that they believe the president is serious about trying to send American citizens overseas to prisons, sixty eight percent say the president is serious when he wants to take over Greenland, and sixty two percent say the president is serious about serving a third term even as the constitution prohibits it. So that's among the upline findings of our poll, which this week put the president's approval rating of thirty nine percent the lowest at the one hundred day mark of any president dating to nineteen forty five.
Speaker 1: Does this president pay attention to polling or does he just like, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
Speaker 7: Well, he certainly is aware. I mean, he's been putting on social media this week. How much he you know, just simply shrugs off polling data and says it's the function of you know, the fake news. But when you see poll after poll after poll with such enormous disparities between support and opposition, there's no way that anyone can objectively come away with it and say that it's not a realistic picture. I mean, just stop one hundred people on the street and asking these questions and see how they feel about the US taking over Canada. And most people think it's a good idea.
Speaker 2: No, they don't.
Speaker 1: I always thinking, I always think it's interesting when you hear him say stuff like that, like let's just annex Greenland or whatever he's planning to do it, always going nah, I mean he's just campaigning. He wouldn't actually try, and then later you go, oh gosh, he's really trying it.
Speaker 7: Well, look, and that's what this poll shows, right, people believe you know, it's show he's trolling the media, he's trolling his opponents. Okay, but majorities believe he's serious.
Speaker 2: So what is it?
Speaker 7: Is he just trying to pull one over and have fun or is he serious? And most people seem to think he is serious?
Speaker 1: All right, ABC, Stephen Portnoy, I guess time will tell, right.
Speaker 7: Well, ultimately, you know there are limits to a president's power.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's the way that the people who made the constitution made it so. And that's that. Thank you, Steven, you bet right. I'm begetting your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho morning, Courtney, good morning, not good morning if you work at UPS. Apparently.
Speaker 14: Yeah, UPS is going to cut twenty thousand jobs this year, closing a number of facilities too. It's trying to dramatically reduce his business with Amazon. So UPS, this is a new sort of thing that's happening because UPS announces plan back in January to slash the number of low margin Amazon parcels that it delivers by more than half over eighteen months. So we knew that was going to happen. They're looking to cut cost so one of the ways to cut costs, unfortunately, is by cutting employees. But UPS also has been reworking its operations. They've been trying to shift away from low margin shipments. They want to get more favorable business lines. So the company's been working to position itself as a specialized logistics provider that can move more expensive items like healthcare shipments, for example, or urgent things that need to get moved overnight by companies.
Speaker 1: Okay, and when you say low margin shipments, just to make sure that I'm understanding you, that's is it? Because like they get less because the high volume through Amazon exactly.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, they're not making a lot of money. What they want to do is say, all right, we're going to take your shipment that needs to be temperature controlled, and it's all of these different things to work to make it happen. And that's what they're focusing on because they can make a lot more money on one of those than just a quick Amazon shipment to get whatever you need, you know, to get like fantastic or something like that from Amazon.
Speaker 1: I thought it. I forgot. I bought crochet needles the other day because I'm trying to fix a sweater. I don't crochet or anything, but I'm trying to fix a sweater that's got snags in it. It was a dollar ninety nine and free shipping.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: I was like, how can anybody make money on that?
Speaker 14: And that's also another thing too, where the growth in Amazon and the growth in these shipments, because a lot of times you go to the store and sometimes they don't have those things that you need. They don't have the right size and knitting needles or whatever. I mean, I could go down the list of the different things that they may not have, So a lot of times it's just quicker and easier to be able to get it from Amazon. But again, all of these shipments not really that helpful for UPS. And another thing that UPS I said this morning is that they're not giving an update of financial forecast for the year because of all the economic uncertainty. But Corporate America has been trying to come to terms with tariffs and what all of this means for their business going forward.
Speaker 1: Lots of uncertainty, which, as you have told us, leads to lots of swings in the market. Markets. You're talking about shopping, and now we can go shopping with chat gpt.
Speaker 14: Well, soap and AI is now letting users shop for products within the chatbot. So users can quickly compare products and click on a link within chat gpt to make their purchase on an external website. I think I might do this. I'm looking to buy a grill. So for now, the feature will only work in a handful of categories electronics, fashion, home goods, beauty, but the plan is to expand to a bunch of other products over time.
Speaker 1: That'll be interesting as AI takes over our lives. Quick check of the markets. How are things looking today? I know that yesterday we were saying things are kind of down, but then they ended up again.
Speaker 14: Yeah, the final hour of trading, we saw a turnaround as we kicked off this busy week here with earnings on Wall Street. It was a fifth day of gains for the S and P five hundred. But we're getting this list every day of companies pulling their forecasts with tariffs offending their business plans. So another company is pulling their financial guidance for the year, and that was General Motors withdrawing its forecast. So GM says it's going to have an update when it has more information on the tariffs. So taking a look at the markets, we did pull back. We are slightly higher, but the S and P five hundred is up only a tenth of a percent, so just a slight move on that part. It was lower for part of the morning. Dow futures right now at one hundred and sixty points.
Speaker 1: All right, getting in your business like we do every day with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. Thanks Courtney, we'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 14: Let's see you later. Bye.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The City of La says it doesn't have the money to continue operating most of its childcare centers. The city received money through the American Rescue Plan Act, established during the pandemic. Well that funding ended in December of twenty twenty four, and now the allocated money is running out. Unions of asked LA's mayor to reconsider a spending plan that includes cutting sixteen hundred jobs.
Speaker 4: Metro officials say a trial run detecting weapons at Union Station and APU Citrus Station has been a success now that it's expanded.
Speaker 1: To a welcome that because that is not the right one, we'll get back to that story. The mayor of San Diego, the former mayor has died, The Voice of San Diego, says Bob Filner. The former congressman who just served as mayor for nine months, died last week. He resigned in twenty thirteen after being accused of sexual harassment and assault and pleading guilty to false imprisonment and battery. Bob Filner was eighty two and Disney's going to grant more than one hundred and seventy wishes for critically ill kids.
Speaker 8: The Walt Disney Company has kicked off a campaign to celebrate its forty five year relationship with the Make A Wish Foundation. Some of the wishes to be granted include meeting Luke Bryan of ABC He's American Idol, announcing a draft pick for the NFL to be broadcast on ESPN, having a Once Upon a Wish party at Walt Disney World for about fifty Make a Wish kids and their families, and sailing on its Disney cruise line. Deborah Mark KF I knew.
Speaker 1: Love that when we come back? How about an EV for twenty k The host of How To Money on KFI, Joel Larsgard says, one's about to hit the market.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Wake Up Call on Demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Residents whose homes survived the fires in Altadena say their neighborhoods don't have the same level of security as properties in Pacific Palisades. Since the fires, more than one hundred and forty homes in Altadena have been burglarized, compared to twenty three in the Palisades. The LAPD is asking for your help and finding three men suspected of assaulting a sixty one year old transgender woman several times at her business in the Westlake District. The LPD calls it a series of hate crimes. The Lkenna Bord of Supervisors is expected today to approve a four billion dollars settlement of more than sixty eight hundred claims of sexual abuse at juvenile and foster care facilities dating back to the nineteen eighties. It's billed as the costliest such payout in county history. We're just minutes away from Handle on the news this morning. Power is back on and Spain in Portugal. But do we know what caused it to go off in the first place. Let's say good morning now to the host of How the Money on Cafeit's Joel Larsgard. Joel a new truck, an EV for twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 15: It sounds impossible, does it does?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So there's this new it just got announced just I think Friday Auto company that is backed by Jeff Bezos, which means ours deep pockets behind this new EV company. It's called Slate Auto. And the video kind of went viral for this new truck that they're launching. And part of the reason that went viral is is because, yeah, you can get it for twenty thousand dollars. Reason you can get it for twenty thousand dollars or will be able to once they start selling vehicles supposedly at the end of next year, is because it's completely no frills, so we're used to And I think this is so fantastic because when you think about the reason that cars continue to cost more is because they get bigger and nicer and fancier. And that's all good, but some people like myself are totally down to save money by driving something that's a whole lot more bare bones. And so you know what comes standard these days, Amy in most cars power windows or you know what else. It's like pick the color you want, Like there's also this lovely big screen that you can do everything with. And the same is like there's all of these additional things that they put into cars that make them cost so much money these days. I think about my Toyota Camry from nineteen eighty nine, my first car, and Toyota Camories these days are so much nicer, and so Slate Auto is kind of going back to the nineteen eighties. I think this is awesome because all that they're doing is going to help people save a whole lot of money buying a new car, even if you want the average new car is like what fifty grand? Now, it's insane. So I love the idea of being able to buy a twenty thousand dollars car well.
Speaker 1: Plus especially if it's your first car. Like my first car, Well, I bought a used car. But my first new car that I bought was a Nissan CenTra. Yeah, and you know, it had it had it had roll up windows, and it didn't have the frills, but it was mine and it was I was able to purchase it myself. And like you said, cars are so expensive that kids can't do that, and that's that pride of ownership. I think that you're you know, introducing to people at a younger age.
Speaker 15: Yes, And I mean I think this is actually cheaper than the average used car. Now, the average used car costs something like twenty five thousand dollars, and so to be able to get a brand new car for less than the price of the average use car, to me, usually when people call into the show and they're like, hey, I'm thinking about buying a new car, and I might need to take out a loan, and I'm usually like no, no, no, no, don't don't think about it. And buying new cars is typically just not a way to build wealth, right if you spend if you spend less money on your car budget, you're gonna come out ahead. But this is a way to maybe have your cake and eat it too, to where you're able to buy a new car for a whole lot less money. There are some trade offs, right, but I'm okay to make those, Like, truly, there's no stereo in this car. What they're hoping that you'll be okay with is putting like a Bluetooth speaker in there and then playing your music from your phone to that Bluetooth speaker. So they are all kinds of trade offs with this. And even think about the range on electric vehicles. This might not work for everyone because the range on the base model is one hundred and forty miles I believe, and so, but for a lot of people, if that's their second car and they're just kind of putting around town, this could be a great second car for a whole lot of people. I'm, as you can tell, I'm pretty excited about it. I'm curious to see kind of what it looks like in person. They also have, by the way, all these little additions, so you can even turn this truck into a five seater suv for an extra. I think it's gonna be about five thousand dollars. So think about a five seater suv for twenty five grand electric suv.
Speaker 1: That's not bad, No, not at all. Okay, I want to talk about really quick before we let you go, a little bit of savings can go a long way when it comes to your future.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay.
Speaker 15: So I have always said there was this study done in like twenty nineteen from economists and they found that if you have twenty four hundred and sixty seven dollars in your account, you're going to be able to cover most emergencies. So I've always like I've always said, as a baseline for people, you need to have that much saved, right. That is the basically the number one step you need to consider to write the ship with your finances. Once you get a little bit of cash in the bank, then you can start thinking about all the other things like debt payoff and building wealth via investing. But that is like basically square one, and a new Vanguard study really mirrors this in a lot of ways. What they found is that folks who have just two thousand dollars in savings, that is actually the strongest predictor of financial well being. And when you think about what you might consider as the strongest predictor of financial well being, you might be like, well, maybe it's just intelligence, or maybe it is investing savvy, and no, it's really just the ability to put a little bit of money away in savings. And the sad truth is a slew of Americans, most Americans are our debt heavy, savings light. And this is this still remains. This is just more AMMO for me to tell people that saving money matters and having some financial margin, at least a little bit of margin a couple grands worth is huge and it really is life changing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is the host of money. It's Joel Larsgard, and you can hear more great money advice every weekend noon to two on Sundays with how to Money on KFI. Thank you Joel Larsgard.
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All Right, you can also follow him in how to Money. Joel. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The large algae bloom off the coast southern California has killed more than marine mammals like sea lions, whales, and dolphins.
Speaker 5: JD.
Speaker 1: Bergeron with the group International Bird Rescueses migratory birds have also fallen prey.
Speaker 4: Because it is floating in the water. A lot of the birds that you see most affected are the birds that dive for their food, so birds like pelicans.
Speaker 1: Bergeron says, the red tide won't go away soon, so the birds being treated by his organization can't be released. That has strained the rescue's resources. Unions have asked LA's mayor to reconsider her spending plan that includes cutting sixteen hundred jobs.
Speaker 4: Mayor Bass's budget proposal includes layoffs and other cuts because the city faces a billion dollar budget shortfall. Service Workers' Union Rep. Genita ig Whaler says there's got to be another way than layoffs.
Speaker 16: Allocations for liability claims, petroleum products, and other special purpose funds needs to be analyzed and scrutinized for potential efficiencies.
Speaker 4: Neighborhood councils also address the council's budget committe with their concerns. Yesterday, budget hearings continue today at City Hall. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Amazon's launched its first Internet satellites to compete against SpaceX. A rocket carrying twenty seven of Amazon's Project Kuyper satellites was sent into space yesterday. Amazon is aiming to put more than thirty two hundred satellites into orbit to provide fast, affordable broadband service around the world. That sounds familiar, doesn't it. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland weather from KFI, sunny after some patchy morning fog. His in the mid to upper sixties at the coast, upper sixties to mid seventies for Metro La and Inland Orange County, mid upper seventies in the valleys, seventies to low eighties for the Inland Empire, seventies for the Antelope Valley. It's going to be partly cloudy, few degrees cooler tomorrow through Friday, with eyes in the sixties to mid seventies. It's fifty three in Orange, fifty five in Manhattan Beach, fifty five in Siritos, and fifty three in Aliso, Vaho. Live from the cak K twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app