Speaker 1: This is Dan Capless and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Happy Friday, everybody. It's Heidigan All not Dan Caplis. He's still working his trial, trying to.
Speaker 3: Work his magic. He's gonna win. I know it.
Speaker 4: Ryan.
Speaker 3: How are you doing this afternoon?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 6: I am great. I hope you're the same.
Speaker 2: I am great. It's been a wild week. Lots going on.
Speaker 3: But so much in the news. I went through.
Speaker 2: I told you I was singing drop at Kuti twenty five, literally at a dead stop, and I'm like, I'm just going to say, check out what's going on on Twitter? Holy moly, there are so many crazy stories out there. My favorite one for the day, though, is Jared Polis getting called out by vives Ramaswami in a positive way, like, Jared, you hacked up all those regulations yesterday. We're so proud of you. We're doze, you Colorado's doge. And so many people just went after it and said, Vivec, please we have a gas like governor, that's what I like to call him.
Speaker 3: And he has Vivek, poor Vivec. I love Vivek, but he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't understand how hardcore Jared Pullus has grown bureaucracy in this state. You know, we yesterday, I believe her, the day before we were called the sixth most regulated state in the country, with forty five percent of its regulations deemed excessive or duplicative. That's the Colorado Chamber of Commerce. What do you think about that?
Speaker 6: Ryan Wow? I mean, it's exactly like you said.
Speaker 7: Polus is doing everything for political gain, purpose, thought, malice, aforethought.
Speaker 6: He's not a libertarian.
Speaker 7: Anybody that would say wear a damn mask your selfish bastards during COVID is not a libertarian in any way, shape, matter, or form.
Speaker 6: Anybody who would take jobs away.
Speaker 7: From healthcare workers who refuse to get the COVID shots is not a libertarian in any way. So he can continue this ruise, and he might have enough money to buy it for a while, but not for the whole race.
Speaker 2: So do you think he's going to run for president and end up just like Hicke and Looper and Michael Bennett in the you know, one percent territory or what do you foresee happening precisely.
Speaker 7: I think he will follow that to a t. He's going to try to find a lane. I think that's like a moderate libertarian lane that's not occupied that he thinks he can, you know, spend money and flourish in. That's the one thing he has, those two that you mentioned, Bennet, Hicck and Loper do not is independent wealth. But I don't see his campaign for president going any better than say Pat schroeders dead back in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: I was not paying much attention to politics back then. I was graduating from s NO. I guess i'd been out of Boulder for no. That's the year I graduated with a Bolder.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was probably in a bit of a haze at that point.
Speaker 2: I'm not insinuating, but I was doing anything right right right. I just was studying really hard for my final very Okay, the next craziest thing that happened this week?
Speaker 3: Can you play clip four?
Speaker 2: The New York City mayor talking about why he's so rapidly supporting dealing with illegal immigration.
Speaker 8: Now, if we have five hundred thousand children who had sponsors in this country that we can't find.
Speaker 6: We can't find them.
Speaker 8: We don't know if they're doing child labor, we don't know if they're doing sex crimes.
Speaker 6: We don't know if they're being exploited.
Speaker 8: Of five hundred thousand children. There's a level of hypocrisy that everyone in that states they want to protect everyone but innocent individuals or victims of crimes and children. I want to suspect, support and protect children and innocent people that are victims of crime, and those who don't understand that start up to me to try to convince them. I know what my job is, my goal is, and I was clear of that while running and when I became mayor.
Speaker 6: Safety means everything to me.
Speaker 8: Five hundred thousand children, we don't know where they are right now in this country.
Speaker 3: Ryan, How does that happen?
Speaker 2: I don't understand how people can turn a blind eye to this.
Speaker 3: This is disgusting.
Speaker 2: And if any there's any reason to close the border and tighten up security down there is.
Speaker 6: This not it.
Speaker 7: I think there's a lot of people on the left that are just they're okay with some collateral damage. And I say that as somebody who has covered very closely the trendy Aragua gang presence in Aurora, and had a bit of a dust up with Comrade Kyle about that, along with John Fabricatory against nine News Chris van Derveen. They're very sensitive about their parenthetical lack of parenthetical coverage of that issue.
Speaker 6: But I think there's a lot of the left to go.
Speaker 7: You know, there are so many good immigrants here that it's okay, we're gonna.
Speaker 6: Have to take the bad ones.
Speaker 7: And if some children get trafficked, well that's just part of the deal too. We just got to have open borders. We can't enforce the border. We've got to let people in and that it's a net positive. That's the only thing I can really pull from this. That is something that makes sense from the last perspective.
Speaker 2: My goodness, if any of our Democrat friends that are listening right now want to call in or text in and explain to us how you can vote for someone who would support not just blowing that thing up, Like, where do we find these children?
Speaker 3: How do we stop this?
Speaker 2: How do we protect this the kids that are out there, how do we find them get them into good homes. It's just it's heartbreaking. To me, and it's it's absolutely should be the first priority if the president, I know it is the incoming president, President Trump.
Speaker 3: But also I think we're going to have a.
Speaker 2: Really hard time when the media decides that they're going to highlight every single person that gets deported that doesn't you know, isn't a hardcore criminal, or if they deport families together, they're going to try and play that up. And there was an interesting a second clip that I'd like you to play number two about what Homan can do on this front and how to deal with the issue of how we hold people accountable for what's happening at the border.
Speaker 1: So you will not only go after the illegal migrants, you may go after some mayors who aren't helping.
Speaker 6: If they step over that line.
Speaker 9: They just sit back and watch us, which again I find incredible. You don't want to take public safety threat to your community to help us. But there are laws on the books that we will we will prosecute at eighteen USC one to eleven, competing a federal law enforced officers a felony Title eight and I says called thirteen twenty four trum ply if you knowingly can see or harbor and the alien from ice that is a felony. When I was an agent a long time ago, I've arrested US citizens for harboring and alien their holding or place on employment. If I can do it to a citizen, why can't I do it to a politician who's going to actively getting our way preventives from doing our job.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here we go Mike Johnston, Mayor Mike Johnston Denver Polist Governor Jared Poulis, who said they would push back against the effort by the Trump administration to remove illegal criminal immigrants. And so I wonder how that's going to play. Are they really going to go to jail on this issue to stand strong on this? Johnston kind of alluded to it and then he backed off.
Speaker 3: But maybe he makes a political statement by doing that.
Speaker 2: You know, the day to day consequences of this, not to mention the five hundred thousand children that they can't find in this country are living in Denver, Colorado, or in Lone Tree, Colorado now where almost every night we're getting crime alerts down there. And I think it has to do with it's the last light rail stop. I think crimes are happening more and more in the suburbs, We're going to see it explode.
Speaker 3: If they don't take care of what's happening in Denver.
Speaker 2: And I just wonder when the day, like the citizens of Denver and the metro area are going to stand up and say enough and push back on this stuff.
Speaker 3: People have to stop being quiet.
Speaker 2: They have to talk to their elected officials and hold them accountable. And if that means letting Tom Homan come in or John Fabricatory, who I hope is going to work with the administration and arrest people for protecting these criminals, even if it's Mayor Johnston or Governor Jared Poulis, what do you think about that? Ryan, do you think that could possibly happen.
Speaker 6: I don't think it'll get to that point.
Speaker 7: And what I'm very confused by is I think Mike Johnston has higher aspirations for the governor's office, which I get because we're a left leaning state. But for somebody like Jared Polis that I think is trying to thread a needle here, like with the cost cutting venture that drew attention from a vague that he would take the wrong side of this, the absolute losing side of this issue. It perplexes me because usually, if anything, Polis is a very calculated, smart political animal, and that's not a smart move.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, I agree. So what's driving this?
Speaker 2: Why aren't more politics standing up and speaking out like the mayor of New York City. I'm very proud of him. He did a great job and he just was relentless. He even called out the media and said, you've already written your narrative. I know you have, so I'm not going to take much time up here talking to you, which was really wild. All right, well, Ryan, let's take a break. We've got so much more to talk about. I'm going to have Brad Beck and Marla Reichert on later. Brad's going to talk to us about messaging and Colorado. He runs Liberty Toastmasters and Marla used to be the chair of the Pueblo County GOP and is doing great work down there.
Speaker 3: And Pueblo had a great election.
Speaker 2: This is Heidi Ganaal. I'm filling in for Dan Caples. I look forward to seeing you after the break.
Speaker 6: And now back to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 3: Good Friday Afternoon.
Speaker 2: It's Heidi Ganal filling in for Dan Kaplis, who's at the end of his mighty trial. He's been on this week. I believe Ryan, you have some news about that.
Speaker 6: He do have some breaking news.
Speaker 7: This shared to me just moments ago by one Dan Caples and I try to keep warning people out there. If you see Dan Caplis and Campalis law is the other name on the docket, then find a way to settle, not go to court.
Speaker 6: Wow, he says. The good news.
Speaker 7: Is a very wise and hard working jury just returned a seven figure verdict in our trial. Very proud to say it's my seventh seventh figure verdict in a row. God is good that from Dan Caplis.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: Winning, winning, and more winning.
Speaker 6: You gonna gets tired of winning?
Speaker 7: Okay, seven times, seven brides for seven brothers and seven figures seven times.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, that is not a clip. That's actually right.
Speaker 6: Thing, he would say. Though, I got to come back with the song that has the number seven in it.
Speaker 3: I think, okay, number you're good at that.
Speaker 6: I gotta do what I gotta do, Okay.
Speaker 2: Ryan, I want to talk more about winning. Let's talk more about winning in Colorado. Okay, how do we win in Colorado?
Speaker 6: Well, you gave it a game effort.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you, yead.
Speaker 7: I mean, think about the deck that was stacked against you going into that. Just the sheer dollar amounts that polists could just, you know, spend willy nilly on whatever he wanted.
Speaker 6: How do you encounter that? I don't even know. That's the first step, I would say.
Speaker 3: I was very naive.
Speaker 2: I thought we could outwork the money until three weeks before the election when my consultant called and she said, Ah, there was just like a ten million dollar ad buy, and we think there's a couple more, probably to the tune of twenty twenty five million that's going to start raining down on you any minute.
Speaker 3: Literally walk out of the office.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Oh, it's fine, it's fine, everything's going to be fine. I walk out of my office, I look at the TV boom. The first ad hits. I was like, oh wow. And everywhere I went my kids were like, Mom, this is getting ridiculous. Every time they'd walk in the room there was another AD.
Speaker 6: I think it's going to take that though.
Speaker 7: I know I say that and it sounds cynical, but you really do need lawyers and money.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the gun's part, but careful, I'm going to go for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, no, no, I'm talking just in the sheer sense of the political arena.
Speaker 6: There has to be a belief, Heidi, that we can win here.
Speaker 7: For example, with your race, the national money that might come in if somebody thought, hey, Heidi has a real chance of pulling this out. And I think one bright light that shined for me in this last election was Gabe Evans. Yeah, in the eighth Congressional District, a swing district. It turns out it was very important in the balance of power in the House. The Republicans have just a five seat majority had Gabe Evans loss to be a three seat majority, and there were a couple other races that were very very close like his. And what it does, I think it provides some kind of boost in the perception of Colorado that we can win here, that there is a path to victory, and that you get that congressional money, those dollars spent here so that Gabe Evans or another candidate can compete on a level playing field because we know that the Democrats are going to have the money coming in both from special interests and from national leadership as well.
Speaker 2: I agree, Ryan, and I think in Gabe's case, the money did come and it was super helpful, and people were activated around his race and did help out in the cure ballot part of it after the election, when we had to cure ballots, which means we had to kind of get voters whose ballots weren't going to necessarily count because the signature d were off or something was wrong, but to get them to fix it, and our team did.
Speaker 3: A great job of that.
Speaker 2: We also saw an incredible boost and Hispanic voter turnout and voting our way, and I think Trump had a lot to do with that his messaging, his focus on the working man. I think that was incredibly helpful to the CD eight race. Also, we also prevented a super majority at the legislature in Denver.
Speaker 3: That's huge.
Speaker 2: And then in a little while later in the next hour, we're going to talk to Marla Reichert about what happened in Pueblo. We had some incredible wins in Pueblo.
Speaker 7: Yes, that was the one county. And I've been kind of charting this for a while now. Heidi Publo used to be pretty reliably and solidly blue for a long time with the Hispanic population you talk about. But Trump won Puebelo County. Now we got to work on the margins because he had to have something that's going to overcome the these wild margins we see in Denver Boulder. And then unfortunately also where I live in a Rappahole County, which used to be at least a purple county, it's really not now, and there's a lot of population there, and it's a sheer numbers game. You know, where do we flip votes? Where can we find people win hearts and minds? And I think some of it A roadmap was provided with our good friend Valdemar Archa Letta A competing hard in the first district. We knew that that was likely not a winnable race, but he at least made the effort. He campaigned, he went into these communities, He had those conversations in Heidi, I think it starts there.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Ryan, and I have a new Twitter community or ex community on my Twitter feed.
Speaker 3: My Twitter handles just Heidi Ganal.
Speaker 2: It's called Colorado's Road Back to Red and we've got about fifteen hundred people in the Twitter community and people are just yearning for what do I do today, Like, what do I actually tactically do today to help? And so we started this thing called fight back in five What can you do in five.
Speaker 3: Minutes a day?
Speaker 2: And so a few of the things that I'm recommending that people do. And then we're going to bring Brad Beck on after the break to talk about a message around this is number one. You've got to find out who your precinc leader is. And if you're an unaffiliated voter, still find out and you lean conservatives, still find out who the Republican precinc leader is. That's the person that oversees the neighborhood, like a certain neighborhood, and it's responsible to the district captain and the county chair.
Speaker 3: To kind of get things organized.
Speaker 2: They will have lists of all the voters in your neighborhood that are like minded. You can knock on doors, you can give them a call, you can text message them. So also get to know your county GOP. You may or may not agree with them, you may or may not want to get involved with them, but they have great events, they have great gatherings. You're going to meet some people that you really like. Also, make a list of all of your neighbors that you know are pretty like minded, that might be willing to get engaged and have a barbecue, have a party, have them over, talk to them. Start talking now, don't wait. The other thing I'm telling people is find out when your next county commissioner meeting is, your next city council meeting, your next school board meeting, and just go.
Speaker 3: Just go and sit in the audience. Learn who the players are.
Speaker 2: Go up afterwards and introduce yourself to them so that they know who you are. And then start commenting. Start getting up and getting the courage to comment. My daughter, my twenty nine year old, got up and commented it for the first time at the school board meeting last week in Douglas County, and it was awesome. She was really proud of herself. She was really engaged and she made a difference. And then finally start saving money now, just maybe ten bucks here, five bucks here in a little savings account or a jar that you can contribute to candidates next year, because I'm calling next year. I have a name for next year. School board year. It's got to be all about picking some school board races and going hardcore after flipping those races. What is that going to do. It's going to show us that we can win on the local level. It's going to teach people how to campaign, how to get engaged, how to activate. It's going to teach candidates what kind of messaging is going to resonate for the next couple of years. We can test some certain things and Ryan in a second, you can play that clip number one.
Speaker 3: This is what up to this conversation.
Speaker 2: I heard the Colorado Democrat chair saying that the party needs to meet voters where they are, and that's exactly what we're doing and why we won so many races across the country. So if you can play that clip, that'd be great.
Speaker 5: Bring out celebrities to our rallies. What type of message are we sending to the everyday voter about who we care for and who we're championing. And so I think we have to show up at the places where voters are giving their attention. We have to be able to go to football games, We have to be able to not just go on Joe Rogan once every two years, but we have to start building a climate where Democrats can go onto these platforms and not feel like it's husperus them. Even in places where we might have disagreement, I think we have to be able to find common values that can be translated to each other.
Speaker 3: So they got the message.
Speaker 2: They got the message about what went wrong in this last election, and they are not going to just sit back and let Colorado slide even more. They're going to come roaring back, and we've got to be ready. We've got to be sharper, better, more prepared. And that happens in your own neighborhood. There's nobody coming to save the day, no new leader, no new chair of the GOP, no new candidate that's con flying in. You are the leader of your own neighborhood. Take the ball and run with it. That's the message for twenty twenty five. All right, guys, we're gonna come after break with Brad beck a dear friend, head of Liberty toastmasters across Colorado where they teach you how to speak about the liberty message.
Speaker 3: This is Hidi Ganall filling in for Dan Kaplis. We'll see you after the break.
Speaker 6: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Tgif everyone, it's gonna be a.
Speaker 3: Fun weekend ahead.
Speaker 2: This is Heidiganal filling in for Dan Kaplis Ryan. It's been a crazy week, so much news, lots going on. One of the things I want to cover in a little bit after we talked to.
Speaker 3: Brad is this drone situation.
Speaker 2: I just saw that Trump finally addressed it and said, if you can't identify what they are, shoot them down.
Speaker 3: So I went on to.
Speaker 2: Just kind of check out if Elon Musk could wait into this. I'm figuring he's the space guy, maybe he knows what's going on.
Speaker 3: This is kind of hilarious.
Speaker 2: Bill Malougan says, Elon any thoughts on the mass drone sidings off the East coast. He says, alien spaceships controlled by Iran. Obviously, I was like, oh, he's not serious, right, No, I'm just.
Speaker 6: Kidding, maybe half serious, and they run I know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what does that even mean? Do you think they know what these things are and they're just not telling us.
Speaker 7: I went over that clip that you sent and we can play this a little bit later John Kirby with Martha McCallum, who was giving him no quarter, by the way, and it seems like they genuinely don't know, which I don't know which is worse if they knew it, weren't telling us, or they're just buffoons who are unaware of anything that going on.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh boy, all right, we'll table that for now.
Speaker 3: Do we have mister Beck online?
Speaker 2: Oo?
Speaker 3: Do I need to press something? Thank you?
Speaker 6: Brad?
Speaker 3: Are you there?
Speaker 4: I am? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm great, Brad? Happy Friday. So good to talk to you.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to hear what you have to say about how to.
Speaker 2: Leverage this moment in time in Colorado with the Democrats messing so many things up and us having an opportunity with an incoming president that's just basically got.
Speaker 3: A mandate to do some really cool things.
Speaker 2: Tell us every day folks, how to message what's going on right now with our neighbors that are still kind of grumpy about the election.
Speaker 4: Well, I would say, the first of all, when you talk to the aliens or playing those drones over New Jersey and all over the country, when you say take us to the take us to your leader, they have to go down to mar A Lago.
Speaker 3: Good answer.
Speaker 4: But you have a great show today, ID, And you know, just like you, I'm an average person who started to practice public speaking because my business required it, and I started going to toast Masters, and I went through the leadership program of the Rockies. In two thousand and nine, graduated and started the Liberty toast Masters, which is a little different. We take the traditional structure of a Toastmaster's club, but we blend it with the timeless principles of being leaders in actions. So we talk about things like personal responsibility and individual rights and free markets and limited government, all based on our founding documents. One of the things that I have found over the years we're fifteen years old in Denver and about twelve years in Longmont. Two clubs that I go to is that we have fun. We practice, we polish, and we try to perfect as best as we can, really try to get better at excellence rather than perfection. But we always are having the opportunity to try something and fail. And there's nothing wrong with failing in public speaking when you're in a group of people who you give you critical feedback. And that's one of the keys with Postmasters is that we're always giving positive feedback so people perform better.
Speaker 2: So, Brad, you're an incredible sales professional, I mean you're in management, etc. But I'm just always so impressed with how you're able to talk to the other side and get them to see the error of their ways in a gentle kind way. So can you give us an example of an issue right now that we're facing in Colorado that you might talk to with your neighbor who's leans liberal over the fence one day, and how to tackle that.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the things Heidie I would suggest the folks is know your subject. I mean, if you don't know, it's hard to be a expert or somebody who's informed enough to have a topic. But I always start off by asking questions when somebody's mentioning something, as you were talking about the immigration issue and what President elect Trump is talking about doing, you know, I would ask the question, well, what are your thoughts about it? Why is that important to you? You know, what are you reading? And get a sense of where they're at. Because people don't want to hear what you have to say as much as they want to be heard, and so often we're too busy talking or thinking about talking rather than listening. And one of the things we do in Toastmasters is do a lot of listening. So you got to know your material, You got to practice you got to know your audience, and you have to realize that people want you to succeed, especially in public speaking, because they don't want to go and hear somebody grown on. They want to be enlightened, informed and really get an opportunity to learn something new.
Speaker 6: And no note of the people.
Speaker 4: Are listening to each other these days. We're talking past each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you, and you know, social media certainly doesn't help with that. But even on social media, asking questions and probing and trying to understand people, I think is a great approach versus just making statements, fighting back, pushing back. I think people are opening up to the idea that may they may want to have conversations. I don't know if you heard the clip from the Colorado Democrat chair, but he said we need they need to meet voters where they are. They learned some lessons in this last election. And I will never give Shad Murop any credit for anything, but I mean he's right, and if they fix that problem, we're in trouble, like we're not going to get as many games as we want. But I think Republicans have done a better job of that in the last election and really meeting people where they are, whether it's Joe Rogan or a podcast in Colorado, or you know, going to different neighborhoods or different popularlytions that think differently than us.
Speaker 3: Even when I was at.
Speaker 2: The RNC convention and they had the union leader there, that was wild. I mean, it just shook people up a little bit. But I think it ended up helping in the election to see that.
Speaker 4: Well. Too many people, I think on our site for too long, have been pushing facts and figures. One of my mentors, Jeffrey Gittemer, who wrote The Sales Bible and the Little Golden Book of Yes attitude, and I think it's a lot of this as attitude. But if it, facts and figures are forgotten. But stories are we told, and stories that make a point connect at a heart level, and they get people emotionally. And you know, there's six universal emotions that most cultures have happiness and sadness, anger, surprise, disgust, and fear. And if you can tap into one of those emotions through a personal experience a story that makes a point, you're more likely to connect and have agreement with people than argue with them. So I always suggest to people what story do you have that can help people understand your point of view, and then try to connect where they're at as they're saying.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, Brad, and I think that's really good advice for all of us is to pick a topic that we're really comfortable with, maybe avoid the ones that we're not so we don't get tangled up in a conversation that isn't effective, and then really think about a story about why you're passionate about that issue and how to talk about it in a way that relates to how you feel to the other person. Listen a lot, and ask a lot of probing questions. Am I missing something?
Speaker 4: No? Those are all great. And you mentioned earlier Heidi about going to town hall meetings, school board meetings. Most of the time they give you two to three minutes, and that's important to know because if you're going to speak in front of an audience and only want to make an impact that really gets people to think, you have to know your rate of speaking. And one of the things I was taught by getting David Brooks, who's a world champion of public speaking. He said, read something out loud per a minute, and then count the words. Do that three times, add up the total and divide by three. You'll get your rate of speaking. So on average, most men are about one hundred and twenty five words per minute. Most women are about one hundred and fifty. I won't comment on why, but at three minutes, one hundred and fifty words per minute, you have four hundred and fifty words that you can say. And so what I would suggest is write out a presentation of speech and then edit it down. If you can reveal some humor or something insightful, great, but then practice it, and then keep practicing. Record yourself on a phone, and the next thing you want to do is when you go up to the lectern and give your presentation and you're within the time, because once you go to three minutes and one second, they'll shut you down. You've got to know your rate of speaking, and then if your practicing it, you're understanding who your audience is. You know, a lot of times people say, well, you only have two to three minutes, it can't be that impactful. And I often remind people that the Gettysburg address by Abraham Lincoln was about two minutes and maybe fifteen to thirty seconds. How packfl was that speech.
Speaker 3: That's wild, Brett, you can make a difference. We've got a break.
Speaker 2: But I want to thank you for coming on and giving some great advice on how to get, you know, get the nerve up to speak at a school board meeting, county commissioner meeting, city council meeting. Everybody should try that once. I really appreciate all the work you do in Colorado. And how can people join Toastmasters Liberty toast Masters.
Speaker 4: Well, we have two clubs, one in Denver one and Longmont. Longmot meets tomorrow at the Boulder County Republican Office at four twenty five South Bowen Street, Sweep one and Longmont. But if they go on our website to the public downloads on either Denver or Longmont, there's ten tips for public speaking. Okay, it's under the unerals bolder. They can download that and have some of the things we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: That's great, Brad, Well, thank you. We've got a head to break, but Brad, have a great day. This is Hidi Ganall filling in for Dan Caplis.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: And now back to the Dankapless Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday everyone, It's Heidi Ganall filling in for Dan Caplis, who had a big win in his trial just a little bit ago.
Speaker 3: Congratulations Dan, you rock.
Speaker 2: I am so honored and blessed to be able to fill in every once in a while. This is such an incredible show and Ryan and Kelly you make this job very easy.
Speaker 3: I know I'm still a newbie, but uh, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You helped me along this morning, Ryan, I went to the Colorado Second District Service Awards ceremony up in Boulder at See You Boulder and Congressman Janah Goose.
Speaker 3: Was there and he was hosting it.
Speaker 2: And why would I go to this, people might ask, Well, I used to live in that district. I used to live in Superior, so I know a lot of people. And Jonah Goose actually used to be SeeU Regent. Did you know that, Ryan?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I believe I heard that. Mostly because you were a CU region at one time.
Speaker 2: Of course, yep, So we know each other a little bit because of that. But very nice guy, beautiful family, and seems to be very well liked as a congressman up there, and he's very high up in Democrat leadership in DC. And it got me thinking about who's going to be running for governor on that side to take Jared Poulis's place in twenty six. So we've got n Goose, who I think would be a very good candidate if he ran very hard to beat. Got Mike Johnston, who I know he's getting beat up a lot, but he's got some big, big money behind him, with Reid Hoffman, the LinkedIn guy, Mike Bloomberg that they could transform his persona I'm sure, and make him look very nice and effective, all that good stuff. And then we've got Phil Wiser, the Attorney General, and I don't know, I don't know how I feel about that. I think Jared Poulis is backing him. If you know differently let me know, But I think Phil Wiser wants to run. And of course Jenna Griswold, Janet Griswold, wants to run for governor.
Speaker 7: Kyle, go back and watch that interview with Comrade Kyle Clark.
Speaker 2: She just Skyle, you just nicked my chance to run for governor?
Speaker 6: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 6: This'm sighing. It's just it's classic.
Speaker 3: I So, what do you.
Speaker 2: Think about Jonah Goose? Do you know much about him?
Speaker 6: Do you think he I think he's a rock star.
Speaker 7: I think he's an up and comer, very solid, very polished, very young, very sharp.
Speaker 6: I think he's a breath of fresh air. He's a change.
Speaker 7: I think he's malleable within the party in the sense that he can attract new voters. There are elements like you just named Phil.
Speaker 6: I call him.
Speaker 7: Phil Nonethewiser, okay, and he and Mike Johnson are kind of part of the same old, same old. May to appeal to a certain aspect of the party, but if you've got a wide open prime like you're describing there, I think it's going to take a certain type of personality to cut through that, and I think no Goose has that in spades. I think he's just polished. I think he's got a tremendous amount of appeal. And Dan and I have talked very highly about him in the past, and it doesn't surprise me that you share a high opinion of him as well, at least in terms of his political skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously I disagree with him vehemently on a lot of things.
Speaker 3: But Nick Goose versus Jennet Griswold.
Speaker 6: That's not a contest. Yeah, that's a joke.
Speaker 7: I mean, I would hope even if a Democrat's listening out there, I mean, go ahead and pick Jenna Griswold, I guess. But if you want to win, which I would think would be the ultimate goal, you're not picking her.
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 2: Ever, well, and I was really impressed that he selected Britta Horn as the Volunteer of the Year award for his district.
Speaker 6: That's nice.
Speaker 3: It was very nice.
Speaker 2: And Britta does amazing work as the fire chief up there, volunteer fire chief. She's very involved nationally with fireboards, and she's just very dedicated to her community. I think she lives in a town of like she took thirty two and twenty eight of them are.
Speaker 3: Have the same last name. I'm like Britta.
Speaker 2: And they don't have any broad like cell service up there either, so you know, that's difficult.
Speaker 3: To fight fires and deal with the issues that they do.
Speaker 2: So that was really cool that Congressman Degoose selected Britta Horn chief Britta Horn as the Volunteer of the Year for Colorado second District. I think that's great. So we've talked about the governor's race. Do you think John Hickenlooper is really gonna run again. He does have a little.
Speaker 3: Baby at home. Doesn't he have a kid like a couple of years ago?
Speaker 6: Old for that? Doesn't he? I mean, no offense, but I mean that's that's pretty wild.
Speaker 3: How old is he?
Speaker 6: He's seventy, isn't he something close to that?
Speaker 3: I think he's in his seventies y, Yeah, so you.
Speaker 7: Know, I mean Donald Trump had a kid late in life too, with Baron that went well.
Speaker 6: He's seventy two. John Hickenlooper.
Speaker 2: I thought for a hot minute that maybe Jared Poulis would try and kick him out and take that Senate seat just to be relevant for the next couple of years while he waits to run for president.
Speaker 3: But maybe he's just to go right into running for her.
Speaker 7: I think Kickenlooper would maybe serve one more term or or try to run one more time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's six years.
Speaker 2: So then we're looking at what twenty thirty two that Hickenlooper would be done.
Speaker 7: If he wins this next one. And I mean you look at just the baseline age. Mitch McConnell taking a spill the other day, Oh my goodness, and he got him, You got Nancy Pelosi got Biden.
Speaker 3: She broke her hip today.
Speaker 2: Oh come on, yeah, no, she fell she was visiting somewhere. She's in a hospital in Luxembourg or some I don't know.
Speaker 6: Back comparison, Hickenlooper is a kid compared to them.
Speaker 3: What you have to remember she fell in high heels. Oh well she fell style. She fell with style. Lordie, lordie. That is wild. That is just wild. So okay, we've got Bennett up.
Speaker 7: Then in twenty wait, Bennett doesn't like Ted Cruz reading cat in the hat.
Speaker 2: He was he was an interesting candidate, like I just would was off while he was talking, and I mean, god bless Joe Day for going up against him. It was rough, like we knew Bennett would have a lot of money, but he's just so smooth and he talks like this in this monotone was with a little bit of Eastern accent.
Speaker 3: I can't do it.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, I at least I agreed with him.
Speaker 7: I interviewed him on election night. He came on KOA and we were we had an accord about ranked choice voting. We both opposed it and failed, so joining forces Michael Ben and I one.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm impressed. I think a little bit differently of you now right.
Speaker 6: I don't know, maybe not in a good way.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to take a break and come back. We've got lots of good stuff to talk about. We're going to dig into Pueblo too at the five point thirty five break and talk to Marla Reichert. We'll see in a few minutes.