Speaker 1: This What's on Tap Radio podcast is brought to you by Cast Branding. For well over a decade, Cast Branding has been supplying breweries, distillers, and wineries with a top quality merchandise. If you're looking for a way to promote and grow your brand, check out Cast Branding on Facebook, Instagram, and online at cast Branding dot com, Cast brandy dot com. And oh yeah, I forgot to mention they are a member of the Texas Craft Brewers Guild. That's Cast Branding dot com. Now enjoy the show.
Speaker 2: This is about to be good radio.
Speaker 3: To me, a craft brewer is much more of a mindset spread the gospel of good beer.
Speaker 1: Tons and tons of stuff going on in the beer world.
Speaker 2: I love craft beer. I love different people's beers.
Speaker 4: It's the first favorite.
Speaker 2: Cheers two old US beer geeks and those new to the craft.
Speaker 4: What's on Tap High five?
Speaker 5: This is What's on Tap Radio beer and the culture that flows with it. Pear's Beer Guru James Simpson and Beer Logics Chad Pilbean.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year.
Speaker 3: I thought you were getting a tonsle actony.
Speaker 1: Ah woo, guess who's rested this guy?
Speaker 3: Oh? You know, everybody wants to know though it's January.
Speaker 4: It is January. I noticed it on the glendar.
Speaker 3: You know what everybody wants to know. We're gonna find out soon enough. Inquiring minds want to know, actually, inquiring livers want to know. Is James going to do what he did last year? We're gonna ask him that here in just a little bit. But it is a new year. Time to drink some new beer.
Speaker 4: Year, is it?
Speaker 1: Is it twenty twenty four, twenty three, twenty two, twenty one the year?
Speaker 4: We don't mention before that or after that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I know some celebrities that said that threatened them to leave the country again. I'm not sure why, but they said, yeah, we're gonna we're leaving. Did they leave, No, they haven't. There's some weird stuff going on in the world. Did you hear they're talking about changing the name of the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 4: I heard that Gulf of America.
Speaker 3: Wild For a guy who doesn't drink, he's got some crazy ideas.
Speaker 4: I'll take thanks for that. Made me laugh for three hundred.
Speaker 3: But that's a that's a final jeopardy one.
Speaker 1: All right, Welcome to Happy New Year, Bill, Happy New Year.
Speaker 4: Chad.
Speaker 1: Happy New Year, everyone Happy James man, I'm fired up.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We had the last couple of weeks off. You know, we always take the last two or three weeks off of the year, and you know, just to get some R and R. We charge our batteries and uh boy, I needed it, although I was sick a lot of it.
Speaker 4: But I'm back, I'm I'm ready, I'm fired up. How about you guys?
Speaker 3: Here? It is this this segment right here, brought the table, brought to you by Robot. Here we go. James is sick again.
Speaker 1: No, actually, I'm not sick. I was sick during the break. I came down with I don't know. There was some sinus infections going on around. But I'm back, I'm ready and uh it's We're kicking.
Speaker 4: Off twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: I'm excited, man. We've got some good stories, good beer, the crack open. But before we do, James, please thank all those wonderful people who make it possible for us to produce this fine radio program.
Speaker 4: All right, kicking off with our our is it our research departments?
Speaker 3: Is that what we call it?
Speaker 4: Superior pest control.
Speaker 3: Superior pest control right here in West Michigan.
Speaker 1: Yes, flutter inboxes, flutter inboxes with so many stories.
Speaker 3: They vet the stories for us and it makes it easier on the production team. Because we lost our intern.
Speaker 4: Yeah a long time ago too.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We got Bier Logic Conference, the events reading all taking Insurance group, the Backyard Girl keeping the lights nice and bright and nice and cozy here in my studio, here a studio s thanks to Harbor Light Brewing and of course sponsoring our podcast cast branding which is a bit well everywhere, were everywhere and I mean everywhere.
Speaker 4: And welcome to show.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of good stuff on tap this week. Gotta catch up have things been? We gotta talk about how.
Speaker 4: The break was.
Speaker 1: But in the meantime, we got to drink some beer in the first segment thanks to our friends over at the Backyard Grill, which is they've been with us a long time, a long time, and I'm very grateful for them for their supports. But they bring us, brought the table where I'm gonna bring a beer, chats bringing a beer bill, bringing beer.
Speaker 4: I mean, everyone's just bringing beer.
Speaker 3: We got beer, and also we have a stunt beer livery hanging out in the corner Mike degrees of Hummingbird Hops. We're gonna talk to him in a minute, because he was sitting around. He's like, yeah, I can't really grow hops in this whether it's twenty degrees. So I got something to do, you know, Hey, can I come over and have a beer? Sure, and we're gonna kick things off. James. I was on the hunt at every single beer store, could not find it.
Speaker 1: Finally I saw, I saw your social media congratulations.
Speaker 4: I was very excited for you.
Speaker 3: Only seventy days after the package date. Here it is the Celebration Fresh Hop ip a from Sierra Nevada. I have looked all over. In fact, there was a restaurant that said we now have Sierra Nevada Celebration nail on tap and I'm like, where has this ben?
Speaker 4: What's the major retail chain up there? Is that Meyer Meyer Meyer?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They would every Meyer, I know what, up and down the aisles could not find it. And I thought, seeing as this is a fresh hop beer and it is arguably the greatest West Coast ipa ever made, and we have a hop farmer in studio with us Hummingberg Hops might here, thought why not kick things off with a fresh Hop celebration. I pa, I am not going to describe the beer. Why because if you know what it is, it needs no description. And if you don't know what it is, where the hell have you been?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I bought that beer to the table like four times before.
Speaker 3: All right, James, let's get on to you, because everybody wants to know. It's so called dry January.
Speaker 4: Dry January, that's what I heard.
Speaker 1: You know, over a half of all people survey say that you plan to rarely never drinking in twenty twenty five, but of people say they do not plan on partaking in dry January.
Speaker 4: What says these guys? All right, obviously chat's not partaking in dry January. But I'm bringing to the table.
Speaker 1: I'm also bringing a fresh hopped ipa from the Shoots. Hey fresh hopped? Now, this is the freshly squeezed ipa loaded with juicy hops at zero percent alcohol.
Speaker 3: Oh no, but about again? Here he goes. Now you know why nobody wants to come and drink with you?
Speaker 1: And am I very popular? What's on tap radio? It's like a podcast glass thanks to our friends over at Harbor Light Brewing. I'm gonna pour this freshly squeezed to Shoots ipa into my what's on tap radio glass that smells like hops freshly squeeze hops.
Speaker 3: That is it almost tastes like beer.
Speaker 4: That's very hoppy.
Speaker 1: Again, this is he freshly squeezed ipa packed with juicy hops from the Shoots brewing out of Bend, Oregon at a zero percent alcohol by volume.
Speaker 3: Our special stunt liver, Mike Deveries again of Hummingbird Hops in Sagatuck, Michigan, joining us as a stunt beer liver. He's conflicted on this because it's such a hoppy beer and it uses hops. He's like, oh, well, that's good for business, but there's no alcohol in. And he's like, well, I guess I'll allow it because it's good for them, good for the economy. But he's not gonna partake neither am I In Bill's like.
Speaker 4: I saw I saw Bill shaking his hat at me. Don't do that, Bill, all right?
Speaker 3: Anyway, this has been brought to the table, brought to you by our friends at the Backyard Grill. We brought the Seerien about a celebration fresh hop ipa, and James brought something that's almost like beer, the non alcoholic.
Speaker 1: Hopwater suits freshly squeeze ipa and that has brought the table thanks to our friends over the backyard Grill. But hey, we gotta take our first break. But coming up, we're gonna catch up with each other. See how things have.
Speaker 4: Been, how how's how's the beer? We'll looking and uh got fun facts, hold my beer and watch this all.
Speaker 1: This is so much more. Hang with us for an action back two hours. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Here in What's on Tap Radio.
Speaker 5: We know two types of people, those you drink with and those that make you drink.
Speaker 6: Oh, your parents are coming for the weekend.
Speaker 2: Either way, we're drinking.
Speaker 3: All right. Everybody's got a beer. You got a beer, I got a beer. We got a beer. You know who else has beer? The Backyard Grill on the northwest side of Houston. But when you're drinking, you want to have something to eat too, So go get yourself some grub at the byg. The menu is a amazing They've got all your Texas favorites like steaks, bahitas, chops, and it's all grilled on a wood fired grill. Got burgers, you got wraps. Hey, if you're vegetarian, they got salads, they got soups, homemade dishes, and specialties like smoky the beer chicken. Oh yeah, smoked chicken injected with local beer sounds delicious, right yeah, And don't forget the green beans. I know you're thinking, Wait a minute, is this guy just talking about all the grilled stuff and you're gonna tell me to eat your veggies? Hey, mom said eat your veggies. Over one hundred different menu items, get the green beans. Trust me, you won't regret it, and over one hundred different beers head out to the backyard Grill in the corner of Weston Jones Road on the northwest side of Houston. Cheers.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome the new year, first episode of twenty twenty five. You can join us. Look at the one sheet here, I mean you a little teaser. US Surgeon General calls for new warnings on beer labels. That's gonna be our big story. I got flooded with emails about that.
Speaker 4: Now this story will save us. This is a story that is very interesting to me. Past blue ribbon.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be contra contract brewed with another big conglomerate brewery.
Speaker 4: This is a very interesting story to me.
Speaker 3: Least at least it's you remember when paps we covered this story way back and PBR got bought out and was owned by a Russian company. It's like, wait a minute, hold on send PBR. It's like, that's as American as it gets and it's owned by a Russian company. And then we bought it back somehow, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But now that they're switching contract brewers. And an interview I did with Jim Cook back in like twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, I asked this very question and he did not have an answer for me. Find out what question that is, because now there's an answer just ten years later.
Speaker 3: I know what the question was. I remember, is glitter beer going to take the world by storm? Damn it?
Speaker 4: Chad, yes, kill.
Speaker 3: If he's gonna do a dry January?
Speaker 1: And then what else we got going on? Oh, Heineken's upset some fans.
Speaker 4: We'll explain.
Speaker 1: And then we got the marketing idea of the week. All this is so much more on this edition of What's on Tap Radio, So hang with us. Got a lot of good stuff on tap, but I want to reset the beers that we brought to the table thanks to our friends over at the backyard grill. We're Chad excited, excited because he finally, finally was able to track down the celebration.
Speaker 3: I pa, it was in a party store and it was in spring Lake. It was the same party store that Harbor Light Bill and I went to, and yeah, I went back in there and I said, I know. I said, do you have any celebration ale from Sierra Nevada? And he said, yep, right here. And I looked and I said, and they were just six packs and I said okay, and he hands me one. I was like that it. He was like, how many do you want? I said, all of.
Speaker 4: All of it.
Speaker 3: I want all the celebration now. And so he pulled out and he's like, oh, I've got his three and forty two dollars later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're gonna you're gonna pay for it.
Speaker 1: That one would have been funny if he was like, yeah, I can't get rid of this stuff.
Speaker 4: It's on the clearance shelf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's a palette. How much do you want pull your quick car around. We'll load it the trunk.
Speaker 4: It's been on the clearage rack next to the old Oreos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Orange Halloween Oreos celebration Hill by the way, I do have a story coming up that did not make it into the production room. I got it right before we came out in the air, things to Superior Pest Control, West Michigan. I am gonna be telling you about that. But you say that cookies and beer? Way do you hear this story?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: And then I want to reset the beer that I brought, the freshly squeeze non alcoholic IPA from the shoot's brewing at and I said zero percent, but I know I'm gonna get fact checked by people out there at James and the radio. It's zero point five. Abv Okay, it's not zero percent. It's zero point five. And I know there's gonna be you know, four people let me start.
Speaker 3: That's incorrect, by the way. One of them is sitting in my studio. He's like, well, you know, technically a word, and then all of a sudden, you know, harbor Light Bill He's like, well, you know, Chad, he is right, and I'm like, shut up. Then I remember that Bill pays the bill. So let me take a swig.
Speaker 1: Of this now that I let her breathe through this segment, hang on, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Have a sip of that why you're just breathing. Our is gone. Yeah, we're gonna to open another one here in a second.
Speaker 1: So this is a good alternative to the original main squeeze professionally similar balance IPA notes of bright citrus and tropical fruits. It's so close to the original you'll have to double check on the can. That's how that's how close it is.
Speaker 3: See this is okay? How much beard does James drink? Because he was able to go back in the rolodex of his brain and recall what the original taste like to be right, yeah, and he's like, you know what, this tastes refreshingly like the original?
Speaker 4: I mean, and well it helps her. I do like that beer, you know, just shoots. It's a great brewery.
Speaker 1: They have bright, juicy aromas, flavors of orange and passion fruit. It's a it's a very good and I'm I'm saying zero point five percent. And did you know this beer won a gold at the twenty twenty four US Open Beer Championship.
Speaker 4: For the non alcoholic IPA. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, you're drinking a gold medal winning hot water. James almost spit his hot water first show of twenty twenty five, and I almost got him to spit is hot water.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I know the question is going to be like, why why James? Why? Because I like a good challenge. I right, like a good challenge.
Speaker 1: Let me see if I can do it, and I didn't last year. And here we are, what twelve days into the new year. I'm doing fine and uh.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile we are over here and we just cracked up another one, which we were gonna talk about in the next break because we still have to do this. And then we sign a new contract for twenty twenty five, which means they said, hey, you're gonna keep You're gonna keep educating people, right like, well, it's part of the deal.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: The official What's on Tap Radio fun Fact of the Week brought to you by Who's ever checked Clear?
Speaker 2: This week?
Speaker 1: I mean to be fair, people have been off for the last two weeks, so they haven't learned anything. They've been on vacation, so it's time to get them back in school.
Speaker 3: It's like beer drinkers everywhere, we're getting dumber. Get back out of the air.
Speaker 4: My brain needs stimulation, all right.
Speaker 3: When you think about popular beer destinations, James, where do you like to go, like really, like if you're getting on an airplane going somewhere where you're going.
Speaker 4: I'm probably going somewhere like in the Middle East.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, exactly. Yeah I heard. I thinking's opening a brewer in Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite stories of twenty two before. Hey, there's closed.
Speaker 3: Muslim country and there's major brewery.
Speaker 4: There's breweries closing all over the country. But hey, let's go open to one and where people can't drink.
Speaker 3: It, well, not alcoholic beers. So big, we're gonna open a brewery and a Muslim nation. Oh, we're gonna talk more about that later on. But beer destinations maybe Portland, Oregon, maybe Portland, Maine, maybe Grand Rapids, Michigan, Beer City, USA, right there, anywhere in Colorado. I mean, there's places all over that you can go. Houston, Texas. I mean Texas beer scene is hot. I don't care. Yeah, it's that's just a temperature. They're not just the temperature. It's also the beer scene there. But you may have heard that Virginia is for lovers, that's the official tourism slogan for Virginia. But maybe Virginia is for beer. Lovers, because there's quite a bit of history of beer in the Commonwealth state and starts with six the year sixteen oh seven. You remember that year, James. It's a good year.
Speaker 4: I mean, like like it was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh two, it was a good year. Yeah, I'm telling you. Oh. And beer came into the colonies and arrived in the colony of Virginia, and then all of a sudden it started to spread. Now it's a little known fact that the beer in street really was not in beer as a product, was not done by the men of that time. It was done by women. And it was a southern state, so it was also being produced by slaves. And we did a fun fact about one Peter Lemming who was the first super brewer, and he was a black slaved and he was owned by Thomas Jefferson and he brewed on that plantation and he made amazing beer and taught other people on other plantations how to brew beer. And that all started in Virginia. Another little known fact is that the very first canned beer, Ruger Beer, debuted in nineteen thirty five. I want to take a guess which state it was, Virginia, No, Florida, Yeah, No, it was Virginia. Yes, it was Virginia. Nineteen thirty five, the first canned beer debuted and the great Charlie Papaisian, founder of the Brewers Association American home Brewers Association Beer Festival. You darn right, he's been on the show, knows us. We've got high fives from him and everybody. He attended the University of Virginia, where he perfected homebrewing and wrote many of his books. But I thought this was an appropriate fun fact. You're official What's on Tap Radio Fun Fact of the week, seeing as we have Hummingbird hops in studio with us right now. Mike's going to be impressed by this. But Virginia was the single largest producer of hops in all of the colonies all the way up to the start of the Civil War. And that is your official What's on Tap Radio Fun Fact of the Week.
Speaker 4: That was a good fun fact, Chad, see learning things here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, if we just get the Commonwealth of Virginia to sponsor the icial time Tap Ready Fun Fact the Week, we'll tell more people to go drinking in Virginia, because Virginia is more than just for lovers. It's for beer. Lovers or have said us a T shirt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, reach out to the tourist department. See see me again? Something going on?
Speaker 1: All right, well, I wanna take a note of swig of my a to shoots freshly squeezed hops of mosaic and citra. All right, let's take a break. Coming up, let's catch up, and let's.
Speaker 4: Tell you what's going on in the world. It's What's on Tap Radio. Hang with us. We'll beat right back.
Speaker 5: Because it's five o'clock somewhere, Live life, every old and menanom. It's always time for those slackers of What's on Tap Radio.
Speaker 3: Superior Pest Control of West Michigan, Superior Pest dot Biz. They are sponsors of the research department here What's on Tap Radio? Make sure that we have all this awesome content. Give them a call or reach out to them at Superior Pest dot Biz.
Speaker 1: All right, fucome first show twenty twenty five, it's going to be back. I'm fired up doing dry January, just to see if I can do it. Like I said, I think a good challenge.
Speaker 3: I'm fired up. Let's go not drinking, Chad.
Speaker 1: I know you think that it's just a fad that the popularity for n A beers will die soon, just like selters. But there are a lot of good nabers out there, including this freshly squeezed IPA from the Shoots brewing out of Bend organ As zero point five percent alcohol by volume.
Speaker 3: I remember what my mom used to tell me. Just remember you don't need to have a good time to have alcohol. Oh wait, I mean I think it was the other way around. It was it was the other way around, But that's the way I'm going. But speaking of alcohol and a good time, we during the last segment, I want to think Mike, who brought a couple of beers for us to sample side by side, very similar beers. And we're not gonna dwell on this too much, but I wanted to just mention we just had a Stone Tangerine Express Hazy I p A and we wanted to taste it side by side with a This is the Hazy ip A Tangerine space Machine. So we went from Tangerine Express Hazy from Stone to New Hollands Tangerine space Machine. And we're gonna give you some thoughts on this very quickly. Just which one do we prefer? So give us a minute to taste this here, Bill, you got that one there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and Theandering Space Machine is way more tangerini, way more citrusy.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah, that's an understatement.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: Stone uses, I think, not too many hops, but a big variety of a lot of them. New Holland uses a little bit more subtle in their hops, but they're way more in their.
Speaker 3: Tangerine thumbs up thumbs down. Stone or the tangerine space Machine from New Holland, which you prefer, tangerine space Machine. So you're going New Holland and I'm going with a Stone because I do not like citrusy beers. There you go. So everybody's got there's a flavor for everyone and two very similar beers that we just cracked open. Thanks Mike again for bringing that over from Hummingbird Hops.
Speaker 1: All right, James, you ever watch a show or a movie and see a flaw and it really bothers you. You're just like, ah, that's a that's a flaw, that's an error.
Speaker 3: Crystal surveys off.
Speaker 1: So there's this show at Apple Plus that I like to watch Apple TV.
Speaker 4: It's called stream King.
Speaker 1: It's got Jason Siegel and it's and it's got Harrison Ford and they're therapist and one of the beers they drink on that show is a stone IPA. But what bothers me is they'll pull the beer out of the fridge and they'll just twist the top off and throw it on the on the table.
Speaker 4: Nope, bothers me every time.
Speaker 3: That's a really strong grip, man, if you can do that.
Speaker 1: But they're like, uh, you know, they're just talking in the in the in the kitchen like, hey, you want a beer? Yeah, I got some my PA's And so thought this is obviously is a stone because there's product placement, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just and then throw the bottle cap on the on the table. I'm like, ah, that's not a twist off. But I diagnoze, I.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't even I can't tell you the last time I twisted the top off of a beer bottle.
Speaker 1: I think I did a Lone Star maybe you know the I don't even know that I did it with a Lone Star.
Speaker 3: I probably because I've got a bottle opener on my ring. Yeah I probably did that.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but you know, those beers aren't twist off. Their pop off.
Speaker 1: But anyways, my wife gets so aggravated with there's like another one real quick before we move on. It's a show set in the eighties, and like they have all the tap handles and you'll see.
Speaker 4: Like Oscar Blues to shoots Bells.
Speaker 1: Well Bell's around in the eighties. But like you get my point. There's all these new tap handles and a show that's set in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, whoops, yeah, whoops. You know, because if it was in the eighties, it'd just be michelob or like Schlitz or something Olympia and Schlitz. By the way, we get two people in studio who you labeled earlier when they started getting all geeky on hops, and they have a message for you, nerd.
Speaker 4: I'll take it. I'll take all right.
Speaker 1: So we've been off for the past few weeks. I want to ask about you. And Bill took an excellent vacation.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 1: I know that because I'll post the pictures to social media. Good job show, way to go at what's on tap radio? Facebook? Dad finally posed photos of his adventure.
Speaker 3: Oh stop it, stop it. So we were all over.
Speaker 1: So Bill and Chad took a vacation or a voyage whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 3: It was Will and Chad's excellent beer Adventure.
Speaker 4: You I got t shirts made and everything. Stallions the windows.
Speaker 3: We put no, we put stickers everywhere we went and we visited quite a few really cool places. So we uh, we had to go to spring Lake, but not without first stopping at Oddside Ales in Grand Haven.
Speaker 4: I got a question, Yes the hell spring Lake.
Speaker 3: Spring Lake is a suburb of Grand Haven, cool just on the other side of the of the river. Appreciate that drive over a bridge. We had to go up there to spring Lake. And yeah, we drove by a closed brewery. Old boys, rest in peace. They're gone. But we're driving through this little and and bills from there. You drove there, and so tell tell the story real quickly when we're driving down the So we're driving down the street and there's this sign.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it says it's Stands Bar, and I just mentioned it chat. I was like, Stands Bar always had the big sile out there, coldest beer in Michigan, I said.
Speaker 3: And the first thing he does is.
Speaker 7: It's like, Okay, I guess we're going to Stands Like we gotta go, man, And it's just a little dive place. But it's it's a pretty cool place.
Speaker 3: And we got a Bell's Christmas Ale, which is a it's like an old ale. It's very rich, multi beer, and it's a Scotch jail. Sorry, it's a Scotch jail. And it was served to us in a frozen and I don't mean chilled frozen. Yeah, there was cold cold beer was a beer slushy. And here we were drinking the coldest beer in Michigan and we had a good time.
Speaker 4: The coldest bear in Michigan. Did it have a little bicycle in it?
Speaker 3: Absolutely it did.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean for a beer that was eight percent and still be frozen. Oh yeah, it was cold?
Speaker 4: Or do you just drink it?
Speaker 3: No, we drink We were in stands. They told you what you were going to get the coldest beer in Michigan.
Speaker 4: There. I do not want a frozen mug, Thank you very much, Like you're killing the man.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But we went to Pigeon Hill. We went to Rake. Remember Rake, they made the big gretch beer. We interviewed Josh Rake. There's a name there, you go ahead, do name drop on that one. There you go. Let's see where else do we?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: We went to Berserk Brewery was a good time. Yeah, So we uh four to four in Holland and then we ended the night at another dive bar. We went to Skile's Tavern and had Chicago style, not deep dish, Chicago style tavern pizza and we drank and we had a pitch of Bell's Too Hearted and it was a good day.
Speaker 4: Nice. Yeah, I like the pictures.
Speaker 1: So over the break we hosted our annual brass band come in and serenade the neighborhood thanks to Rudy. Yeah, I'll give a shout out to Ruby and the home brew Bross Ensemble. They come out every year and they play in Christmas carols off my balcony, a lot of fun. The neighbors love it. And I want to give a special shout out to Loan Pint Brewing Company for donating a.
Speaker 4: Lot of yellow rows.
Speaker 1: And I also want to thank Carbock Brewing Company, which donated about six cases of their variety IPA pack. So it's funny all these breweries donated nothing but IPAs. So I was looking, you know, I'm icing the coolers down and I'm throwing the beers in.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, I really hope my neighbors.
Speaker 1: Like IPAs because that's what they got. But I do want to give a shout out to Loan Pint and Carbock for sponsoring the events, and of course Rudy coming out and it was amazing, had turned out.
Speaker 3: No about the homebrew Brass Ensemble. This is a brass band of home brewers. Well no, no, no, no, they're band directors. But don't they also brew beer?
Speaker 4: I don't think they do.
Speaker 1: Maybe they did at one time, but now they're all they're all boldering directors at high different high schools, and they get together and they play at different breweries and they're amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay, all right, so maybe that's the brewery connection, is that they're are. But I thought Rudy was a home brewer. He's the only one I knew so, but I don't know the other band directors, but he Yeah, but the people.
Speaker 1: They came out, and then of course the neighbors love it. And this is the fourth year I've done it and had a great turnout. The weather was perfect, got a visit from the weather man. The weather man was here, Brian Holsen, neighbor Chris, and then after.
Speaker 3: That, but don't don't confuse the weatherman with Brian Holes and the weatherman state.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I and I distributed the What's on Tap glasses thanks to Harbor Light Brewing, which they were all a fan of.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But then after that we headed off to New Orleans and hung out on the French Quarter. And then of course my mom had to go to Nola Brewing to get a shirt. She was like, that was that was our mission? She was like, I gotta go to Nola Brewing. I gotta get a shirt, not to get a beer.
Speaker 4: Not to get a beer. Needs to get a shirt to get some merch.
Speaker 1: So I ended up getting the flights and then we booge on down the street down Choppatulas to Urban South, where we had a good time and I drink an amazing black ipa where my mom also bought merch.
Speaker 4: Likes the merch. My mom's in the merch game. But we did.
Speaker 3: Let's go shopping for clothes. Well, I guess that means we're hitting the brewery, all right.
Speaker 1: She does to go to breweries for beer. She goes to breweries fro merch. So but she gets to good merch, like the hoodies, the expensive.
Speaker 3: Sixty dollars hoodies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not the fifty dollars hat, but it was overall, it was a nice break, and I'm glad to be back. But that's a little recap of what we did over the holiday break. But we got to take a break. Speaking of breaks, coming up, we gotta talk about Jim Cook a question I asked him back in twenty sixteen. He finally answered. He didn't answer when I interviewed. Nobody finally answered. And I'm going to tell you what that question was. Oh, this is so much more.
Speaker 4: Hang with us. We'll bright back.
Speaker 5: If you're buy yourself drinking a beer and listening to the show, you're not drinking alone.
Speaker 2: So be a pal and put your pants back on. What's on tap? What's on tap? This is what's on tap Radio.
Speaker 1: A lot to get to, a lot to get to. On the first episode of twenty twenty five. Thanks for hanging out with us. Let's talk about over the break. I went out to New Orleans my family. We always go after Christmas. We came back New Year's Eve, obviously before the craziness ensued. Well that's wild. This guy just drives down Bourbon Street. But we were not on Bourbon Street. Got a lot of people hit me up about it though, like hey you guys, Okay, I'm like, yeah, we're great, We're fine. Not that would be on Bourbon Street three in the morning, but that just goes to show, goes to show Chad, nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Speaker 4: Just saying, just saying, putting that out there.
Speaker 1: But one of the things that I did not get to do when we were in New Orleans is I really wanted to visit this liquor store that was also a chapel because it's not too far from Nola Brewing Company.
Speaker 4: It's like six blocks. Remember we talked about this.
Speaker 1: Liquor store in New Orleans that you can renew your vowels or you know, you're on wedding number seven and you don't want, you know, to do a big ceremony, you can go this.
Speaker 3: Look, well you can't. You can't do a big ceremony because every church you walk into like ah, not again, get out or wedding number eighty eight. Yeah, but I do want to give seeing you before No, we don't know.
Speaker 4: I do want to give a shout out.
Speaker 1: We have we have some listeners, listeners from day one. Their name Anita and John.
Speaker 4: Yes, and they went out.
Speaker 1: To New Orleans to this liquor store and renew their vowels.
Speaker 2: Love love that John.
Speaker 3: They would come out and see us when we do remotes.
Speaker 1: Oh did they ever be anytime we're out, anytime we're out an event, boom, you know, good shows.
Speaker 4: But yeah, they went out there.
Speaker 1: They went out there and renew their vowels at it, and I was so happy for them. I was like, congratulations, because I really wanted to go just to take some pictures and maybe meet the owner, but our schedule was just so crazy that.
Speaker 4: We didn't have the time to do it.
Speaker 1: But I'm so happy to see that they posted on their social media that they went out and renew their valves.
Speaker 3: I was. It was so funny too, because when I was selling beer in Houston, I'm going around, I'm visiting all the breweries and the bars and everything, and I'm out doing my thing, and I would run into them all the time. It's like, wait a minute, you're here. And then the next day I'd run into a completely different part of Houston. And Houston's a huge city, spread out all of it, and I'm just covering different parts of the market. And there they are again. I don't know, they'd say, where's James. It's like, well, he has a real job. You know, he actually he goes in and you know, he he actually gets a real paycheck and uh and it's like, oh man, when are you guys gonna be out again? And well yeah, and they would always show up.
Speaker 1: I love to catch up with him because I want to find out more about their their renewing their vowels.
Speaker 4: But I love that. Yeah, very cool couple. Uh.
Speaker 1: But I say that because there's another story in the news that's kind of similar. In Columbus, Ohio. There's a funeral home that will become the first in Ohio to get a liquor license. You know that, right, there's a funeral home that will be the first in Ohio to get a liquor license.
Speaker 3: It's a great idea, yep. I mean you're gonna, oh, yeah, you're gonna sell beer. It's gonna work all the shots everything else. Yeah, forty ounces, pour them out. You know.
Speaker 1: Now there might be some the fact that in near that, right, it's a funeral home that's gonna become the first in Ohio to get a liquor license.
Speaker 4: Now, here's the owner.
Speaker 1: His name's Hunter Triplet, and he's talking about getting a license. Let's run cut seven.
Speaker 8: My role in this position is to kind of be a party planner for dead people, you know, be more of a celebration of life than more of the multi day traditional services, which costs a lot of money. And their inspector called me and they're like, is this Evergreen Funeral And I'm like yeah, and they're like, you would be the first funeral home to get a liquor license in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they are.
Speaker 1: And that is the owner, Hunter Triplet, about getting a license, the first in Ohio.
Speaker 4: I've not heard of such a thing, Chad, have you no?
Speaker 3: But my mom was born there, and I'm thinking, you know, she probably wants to go back there whenever her time comes. I'm gonna that'd be really bizarre, though, because my mom doesn't drink, and she's not just giving up beer for dry January. She's had a dry life.
Speaker 1: So all right, got to call from ourselves. I got a call from our sales department. They heard about this, and they're like.
Speaker 9: You know what's Oh no, you can't like, look, we want to get them on as an advertiser, and so what do you think.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna start running spots for him, and so from our sales department, I'm gonna throw them a bone. Now they're not advertising on what's on tap radio, but it's called Stiffy's Funeral Home.
Speaker 4: And this is a new ad that's in rotation. Let's say, let's cut twelve.
Speaker 6: We are redefining rest in peace with a liquor bar at Stiffy's Funeral Home. Celebrate life and death with a cocktail in hand, because saying goodbye shouldn't be dry. Com Raise a glass or a stiff one at Stiffy's because nothing says closure like an open bar. Stiffy's Funeral Bar. We are good times live on even when you don't. Stiffy's remind you to please drink responsibly, even at a funeral.
Speaker 1: I'll drink to that if you're shooting in a club's.
Speaker 4: Ohio Funeral Home becomes the first in Ohio to get a liquor license.
Speaker 3: Some of the cocktail names you could have.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what they need to do now is redesign the coffin to put a little sixel on the end and a tap.
Speaker 3: Oh my, you could grab a beer as you go up and say you're good. Good.
Speaker 1: But do we do a story about like there's some brewery out there that had a coffin.
Speaker 4: Like a it's like look like a case of beer.
Speaker 3: Didn we tell there's there have been people who been like, like, I've seen these coffins made that look like a case of Budweiser and guy gets buried a Butdweiser one or a Miller Lite one. Yeah, and yeah and yeah they made a coffin that looked just like yeah, Budweiser, and like, all right, you know that was his beer, So you.
Speaker 4: Know, Stiffy's funeral home. I like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, all right, hey, Harbor Light Mill is gonna crack open a beer here. Tell everybody what we're gonna go ahead and do that. We're gonna we're gonna toast to the fallen or something. Here.
Speaker 7: We got the coral light from speciation Artists and ales. It's a rusty queed ale with a twist orange zest coming in.
Speaker 3: At five point five percent.
Speaker 7: And although this is not scientific, it is a sour level of zero out of ten.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means wait, it's so just start pouring. So just so you know, sour level zero out of ten, which means it has zero. That's pretty creative way from a brewery that specializes in making sour beers to say this beer is not sour. So I'm gonna take a quick sip and see if it's false advertising. And that's false advertising. But it's close, it's like one. I'll give it a one out of ten. All right, all right, Well that's what we're drinking here, so.
Speaker 4: You stiffy funeral, all right, sounds like a fun place.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, that's somebody who's having fun. I want to talk to you about somebody who needs the fight up. I stumbled onto this story here, and it was a guy who wrote an op ed piece and he said it was basically, of all the things to put in beer, Now, think about this, of all the things that we've put in beer talked. We've talked about people putting in cheetos and bull testicles and urine reclaimed urine and sewage and squidding and ja oh yeah, exactly. Well, there was a guy on an American Airlines flight who was photographed or actually he posted something but he very proudly posted him taking his bisc off cookie and dipping it in a glass of Heineken. And this guy lost his mind, wrote like two pages just of how unholy this was. He's like, fries in a frosty is one thing, but biscoff and a beer. What's next toward our damn nation? As we stray away from God waffles and wine, mangoes and milk, walnuts and whiskey, We're all going to hell. This is awful, this is offul and so people are going to great people were going to great links to try and insult this guy. It was insane. He says, people will do anything to improve. Ahind aken some people who go so far into great measures to be able to choke one of those down. And then another person went out on a limb, and just when he says, call the air marshal and Homeland Security because this is a terrorist attack, the guy dipped a cookie. Remember the guy ass of beer on an American airline.
Speaker 4: Remember the guy the Yankees game was dipping his hot dog in the beer. Yes, just dipping in there drinking idiots.
Speaker 3: I know, well, I'm sitting here and this guy just goes on He's like, don't ever do this again. People don't do this. But there was one person who was a recovering alcoholic who said, hey, way to get around the AAA rules. This is a great AA hack because you're technically not drinking alcohol. But this guy lost his mind over dipping a bisc off cookie in a Heineken on an American Airlines.
Speaker 4: O guy, he needs a hobby. All right, we gotta take a break. Coming out in town. Coming up next hour. We got a lot to get to.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about home my beer and watch this the US Surgeon General warnings.
Speaker 4: They're putting new warnings on beer labels. All so much more on an hour number two. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Beer.
Speaker 5: It's why we wake up every afternoon. Wakey, wakey, what's on tak?
Speaker 2: What's on tap? This is what's on tap radio.
Speaker 3: Hold my beer and watch this brought to you by your friends edw All, the Tenhacin Insurance Group located in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Holland along the Lake Shore RTI Grand Rapids, RTI Grand Rapids dot Com.
Speaker 4: All right, Happy New Year, twenty twenty five. First episode of the year. Thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 1: Or if you're just joining us, you miss a lot in the first hour, but the podcasts will be available everywhere thanks for our friend's over at cast branding. Still a lot to get to this hour. We're gonna talk about the US surgey general. It's calling for new warnings on beer labels. There's this question I asked Jim Cook, he's the founder of saml Adams.
Speaker 4: I think I asked him at like twenty seventeen eighteen. I can't remember, but I did ask him this question, and at the.
Speaker 1: Time he didn't didn't have an answer for me. But now I'll tell you what that answer is. Heineken fans upset after the brand discontinues a popular beer. We got the marketing idea of the week. All this is so much more this hour, So don't go anywhere. I know that Bill is chopping at the bit to crack open.
Speaker 4: Beer number nineteen whatever they're on. Over there.
Speaker 3: We have a stunt beer liver in studio with us Mike Debrees of Hummingbird Hops the Hop Farm located out in Saga Tuk, Michigan, and well.
Speaker 7: I guess technically I have a stunt beer liver because I'm James or I'm Chad stunt beer liver.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we got back up to our back. Yeah we got Yeah, we had we had one on standby. If Bill goes down, Mike's gonna jump on and we'll call the paramedics later. But you thank him for we're coming out here and hanging out with us, and uh, Bill, tell everybody what we're drinking. I think you know a little bit about this one.
Speaker 7: So we're opening uh Harbor Light Brewery beer called Bill's Tap, and it's uh, it's a kind of an American I p A just standard beer that.
Speaker 4: It's no, it's not.
Speaker 3: He's he's so understelling this. It's a it's a can of weed. It is the most dank American I p A. It is so dank, it smells like weed. It's I mean, he needs a different license to distribute this beer. This is so good. I mean, honestly, if if somebody walked in right now, nobody would believe we weren't smoking. I mean, this is so dank. So it is dry, it is bitter, it is clean, and it smells like a big old bag of weed with some pills to port on top of the bag. All right, Bill's Tap, and thank you harbor Light Bill for bringing in this beer to take off our number two. We've been just kind of I know right now, Fire Marshal, Matt's probably losing his mind because we have not opened a single beer in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 4: It's not our fault.
Speaker 3: He's like, I pas, Yeah, we're we're gonna find Matt. We're gonna find something in the in the now.
Speaker 4: We're not now, We're not just like I p as.
Speaker 3: He's a listener. We gotta we gotta cater to some of our listeners. Okay, I mean you're not drinking alcohol. I mean that that. Hear that one other guy.
Speaker 4: I'm getting wild over here. I'm cracking.
Speaker 3: Here it comes, I know it. Here it goes. James is opening the second beer of the show. Dude, slow down. I don't know how you're gonna do it. The last one was zero point five percent. You said it was not an alcoholic. Oh's point five. Here we go, James, what do you have now?
Speaker 4: Another just shoots freshene squeezed ipa. Oh, you know what, I can do what I want.
Speaker 3: Shut up, guys, I'm gonna drink the same beer again. Yeah, it doesn't make for good radio. But go ahead.
Speaker 1: You know when you were here, Phil, when you've been news for over a decade, you really don't care anymore.
Speaker 3: We've got we got we got beers from a wild and funky brewery that don't taste wild and funky. We've got beer that's supposed to be some ordinary IPA that tastes like a bag of weed. We've done two tangerine beers in the side by side, and we kick things off with arguably the greatest West Coast i PA of all time, celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada. I mean we're having you know, when there's three of us in studio, we can spread out the beers like that. But I'm really glad to see that you're pacing yourself, James, because you know, if you keep going.
Speaker 4: And why do I do it? Because I like a challenge.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you remember this, but I did try one time to drink and actually I succeeded in drinking six non alcoholic beers.
Speaker 4: In one episode. And then he got a stomach ache.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did hold my beer and watch this.
Speaker 5: Brought to you by the Ring Malda ten Hacen Insurance Group, where they'll cover you for just about everything except this.
Speaker 1: Here's the guy who's not participating in any dry January. Although this happened on New Year's Eve, but h yeah, not participating in any of that. This is what happens when the designated driver at a New Year's Eve party does not does not abstain from alcohol. So police in southern California pulled over a swerving driver at twelve forty am. And I'm gonna go on the record again. Here we go, Nothing ever good happens after midnights.
Speaker 3: Well, wait a minute, this is no longer News Eve.
Speaker 1: It's New Year's Day, okay, And I'm not a big I'm not a big fan of New Year's and Christmas being on a Wednesday.
Speaker 4: Just not a fan of that. But it was this year.
Speaker 3: We'll rearrange the calendar to suit you. Wait till next year will be Thursday.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I'd rather a Thursday than a Wednesday. Anyways, where's New Year's Eve night? So the man told police that he was dropping off his friend, because.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm gonna roll the clip. Here's a clip an interaction between the accused and the officer, and this has cut seven. So you're being suffered UI investigation.
Speaker 3: Do you have your license on you? I do?
Speaker 1: Where are you coming from?
Speaker 4: I'm coming.
Speaker 7: I was just dropping off my friend because I'm the d UY tonight, and I was dropping off of the.
Speaker 10: And now off of Tebecula.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm heading my way back off of like you're the duy tonight.
Speaker 1: Do you mean to say the d D?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 8: I had a beer and some champagne a couple hours ago.
Speaker 4: But so I got a place you underrest.
Speaker 1: Okay, you heard that right? Still, the copy was dropping his friend because he was the Duy tonight.
Speaker 3: Of course he is.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: He may have been the d D at the beginning of the night, but he is the d U I right now. Hey, guys, I'm your d U I. What's that? Yeah, I'm the one going to jail. You're gonna have to find a new d D.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Apparently the man badly failed the sobriety test multiple times. I was arrested in booked for d U I, So I guess he was the d U I.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they make buttons so that whatever you go into the bar, it's like, hey, I get in for free, right, Like, no, cover tonight because I'm the d u I because they do that. You know, if you if you're the g D does any driver you know, it's like, hey, you know, I'm you know, just you know seltzer or you know, soda water for me or you know, Coca cola whatever, and you know, nope, duy.
Speaker 1: So you're home up here and watched this this week thanks to our friends over Renald to make an insurance group, a drunk driver accidentally said they were the d U I instead of the d D.
Speaker 3: That, Hey, James, that is the best hold my beer and watch this of the year so far, so far, so far.
Speaker 1: One a lot of a lot of people got out to What's on tap radiot, gmail dot com and blew up our email with some good hold my beer and watched this. So twenty twenty five is looking good for hold my beer and watch this. So thank you Renald today an insurance group for bringing you you hold my beer and watch this where a guy says Hugh is the DUY instead of the d d ouch. All right, we gotta take a break, so to come. Speaking of that, let's talk about the US Surgey General. They're calling for new warning on beer labels. What is it, we'll discuss This's What's on Tap Radio.
Speaker 3: Hang with us. Such good.
Speaker 5: When someone says, hold my beer, you know a trip to the e R is in your future. So hold your own beer, buddy, and just listen to more of What's on Tap What's.
Speaker 2: On Tap Radio.
Speaker 1: To get to the whole of this show, simple ways, What's on Tap Brito at gmail dot com. Thank you to Superior Pest Control funding our inbox and I got a lot of listeners that send us a story. Got the press released right here from the US Surgeon General. But you can also follow us on our social media on Facebook, x, Instagram, TikTok, all the major ones at What's on Tap Radio, make sure to give us a follow. But yeah, big news over the break And I kind of predicted this. I feel like I predicted this, as predicted this excuse me years ago. But the US Surgeon General is calling for new warning zober labels.
Speaker 4: Here's just the release that we got all right, y'all ready?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm I am bracing myself for the newfound safety. Yeah that's gonna come into my life. That's gonna make my make me so much healthier.
Speaker 1: You never know, it might, It might, it might just release. Advisory from the US Surgeon General warning calls for alcohol labels to include a clear and obvious statement about their correlation between alcohol consumption and cancer. Basically, beer labels and other labels would include cerginal warning similar to the ones on cigaret labels, uh one that is more directly identifies alcohol consumption as a cause of cancer. The advisor outlines the correlation between alcohol consumption and cancer, noting that alcohol is the third leading preventable cause of cancer, following tobacco use and obesity.
Speaker 3: Which cancers does it say?
Speaker 4: Doesn't say?
Speaker 3: Oh blanket statement all right? Also cancer if I get skin cancer for the if I get like if I'm Jimmy Buffett, you know, and I'm out in the sun all day, never wearing enough sunscreen. But he well, he did drink those margaritas. Had there been a warning on there, I'm sure he would have survived.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go down a little more. It says.
Speaker 1: It offers information that's casual effects of alcohol, that's certain types of cancer, how alcohol consumption increases the risk. Beyond that, the advisory calls for greater public awareness about the issue. According to the advisory, alcohol use is very common. In twenty nineteen through twenty I'm not going to say the year, seventy two percent of all US adults reported that consumed one or more drinks per week, but less than half of US adults were aware other relationship between alcohol consumption and cancer risk.
Speaker 10: Did you guys take I don't believe that at all.
Speaker 3: No, I'm gonna take things that won't solve anything for one thousand, Alex, my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, now it does say this Chad. In the US, about twenty thousand people die each year because of alcohol related cancer. According to the advisory, breast cancer accounts for the majority at sixty percent of alcohol related cancer deaths, and women where areas of liver cancer thirty three percent. Together with correlating alcohol and in cancer, but a more majority of the cancer deaths are in men when it comes to liver cancer.
Speaker 4: So there's your cancer.
Speaker 1: So the number one action is suggested. The advisory involves updating the existing Surge General Warning label on the alcohol containing beverages to include the warning about the risk of cancer association with alcohol consumption.
Speaker 3: It wasn't enough to shut down breweries, bars, and restaurants to try and kill the industry. Now, we got to put a warning label on the highest profit margin item in those establishments.
Speaker 7: Like that's the same warning they put on an ancient Egypt when they discussed and they start first tried making beer.
Speaker 3: Right, that's right. But somewhere along the way, yeah, we got misconstruedent hieroglyphs. So he lost it. This makes no sense, James, James, dude, I feel like I don't. This does not I feel anything.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have like skull and crossbones on on beer labels, like you know, they do have skull and crossbones on label, like tobacco labels in Europe.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in Canada too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen it here in the United States, but they do have them in Europe.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and fine print you can read Marlborough. But man, there's a big skull and crossbones. It's like on a jug of poison xxx and it says this will kill you.
Speaker 1: So, according to the study, higher risk of breast cancer and women, and then higher risk of liver cancer and men and men of the majority of alcohol related cancer deaths.
Speaker 3: All my beer cans and beer bottles are gonna become collectors items because these were pre Surgeon General warning. All we did is say you can't operate having machinery and pregnant women shouldn't drink it. Now, this is pre cancer. I don't.
Speaker 4: I kind of predicted this is gonna happen. I think years ago. It's like they're gonna start putting.
Speaker 1: More stuff on certain general warnings because have you noticed that it's gotten a little.
Speaker 4: Longer over the years.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, so yeah, Well you know, maybe maybe breweries just need to, uh, you know, start marketing the side effects of everything that they But.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, I feel like everything gives us cancer. You know, like fruit loops gives us cancer.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there's a red dye in there or something.
Speaker 1: You know, like a pretty much tinfoil gives us cancer somehow, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't and you don't have to wear it as a hat.
Speaker 1: And I'm not and I'm not I'm not laughing about this. My dad died of cancer. I'm just saying that.
Speaker 3: My wife's a cancer survivor. Yeah, so I mean, yeah, there's there's nothing and yeah, yeah, there's nothing.
Speaker 1: I feel like every every product, not every product, but a majority of products, especially cereal and potato chips should have some don't genner warning because consumption could cost some kind of cancer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eating McDonald's French fries can lead to obesity, which is, you know, which leads to heart disease. Oh, let's put the skull and crossbones on those, yea.
Speaker 4: So it's gonna happen. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, listen one thing.
Speaker 1: Just like they're gonna put nutrition facts, they're gonna put nutrition facts on labels too.
Speaker 3: Right right, Well, I mean, if you want to look to the epitome of perfect health, look no further than the WWE World Wrestling Entertainment because I mean those are athletes.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean obviously, and that's right, And I.
Speaker 3: Mean all they do is they train, they pray, and they eat their vitamins. That's what the Hulkster would say. Hull Cogan would always tell kids, you gotta train, gotta pray, gonna eat your vitamins. Okay, well that's what they would do, and drink American beer. Yeah. Well, apparently they've WWE shedding its PG label and now finds it's you know, maybe you know, because we've got all these different I would say, no longer PG storylines in the WWE, maybe it's okay to go ahead and start advertising beer and with the former Hall of Fame where actually he is the Hall of Famer in the WWE, and former WWE superstar Hulk Hogan, who doesn't drink beer, who now has his own beer brand. Well, he was kicked out of the WWE due to racist comments. Well now they want to go ahead and bring him back into the WWE. Why because well, maybe this beer will sell and we can make some money. So now a minority owner in the beer brand, WWE has formed a partnership with Hulk Hogan's beer company. Oh yeah, ass, Real American Beer and WWE are now partners, with WWE having a minority ownership in the beer brand. You will now see the logo for Real American Beer inside the squared circle. Oh yeah, in the ring on the mat going forward, so right alongside the Surgeon General's warning.
Speaker 1: Hey, I don't know if you saw this chat speaking of Hulk Hogan. Do you know he got booed on Monday Night Raw in Los Angeles?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He did apparently because you know, in California, his politics don't mix well with colitics.
Speaker 4: Californians well, I mean he did.
Speaker 3: He did. He did have his Hulk Hogan shirt on, you know, his hullle Mania shirt, and when he ripped it off, it said you know, Trump twenty twenty four underneath, and that did piss off a lot of people. But I'm still blown away by the fact that the guy doesn't drink alcohol, but he's out promoting a beer and it's not a now an alcoholic beer. Hey, dry January whatever.
Speaker 4: You know. I staw haven't yet to have it. I know you guys had it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because tastes like light beer, tastes like cheap light beer, tastes like freedom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but apparently not very popular in California over its politics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not popular. But that I'm sorry that beer. I went to Chicago and I went into a beer store and they were sampling it. I'm like, really, you're sampling this? Why it's light beer, dude with Hulk Hogan on the label. People are gonna buy it anyway?
Speaker 1: Well, they gotta sell They gotta sell beer, so they're gonna do, you know, promos for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: WWE Look in the Ring inside the Squared Circle. This week on WWE Rawl brought to you by real American beer.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, speaking of American beer, Samuel Adams founder Jim Cook finally answered the question I asked him back in twenty seventeen. We'll tell your twenty six one year but find out what question is coming up?
Speaker 4: This what's on tap? Right? You hang with us, we'll right back.
Speaker 2: This is what's on tap radio.
Speaker 4: I'm predicting that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: It was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Chad and I were out at the Great American Beer Festival. And one of the things that we do at the Great American Beer Festivals we go to the the Boston Beer Look brunch they host.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, it's the it's the Boston Beer Company Media Brunch.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And they we eat like kings. It is very very very good.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I mean you're drinking beer at nine thirty in the morning.
Speaker 4: That's a brush early yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah. And you're eating just tons and tons of food, and I mean I was all kinds of so good.
Speaker 4: You got eggs, benedict, you got.
Speaker 3: Dude rib yep, slice prime rib, bacon. You know, it's just it's like, oh you can eat, man.
Speaker 4: It's one of my.
Speaker 1: Favorite thoughts and then one of the we get to do a meet and greet with Jim Cook. He's the founder of Samuel Adams, who built.
Speaker 3: The largest promoter of khakis in doctor pants and doctor pants that's right, and doctor pants denim shirts.
Speaker 4: He built a craft beer empire out of his home and.
Speaker 3: My grandfather's recipe on my kitchen stove.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember asking him because I was doing a story at the time and I was going around asking I think I asked Larry Bell, I asked.
Speaker 4: Brock Wagner at Saint Arnold Brewing Company.
Speaker 1: I always ask him these questions because eventually, when they retire, they're going to hand their business off to somebody. Are they going to sell it? Are they going to give it to some investors? Are they giving the family? And I asked Jim Cook. I was like, you know, I I know that eventually you would like to retire. What's your retirement plan, meaning like who are you handing the brewery to?
Speaker 4: Are you are you planning on selling? Like what's what's the plan?
Speaker 1: And he just kind of threw out something, well, you know, we're gonna do this and this and this, and he never really answered my question. So I ended up punting on the interview. I don't even think I aired the interview because he.
Speaker 4: Didn't really answer the questions I wanted to answer.
Speaker 1: But he finally come out answered who he's going to be handing off his his company too, so again, Jim Cook. He's the founder of Samuel Adams. He built this empire from his kitchen, and he is going to pass the control of Boston Beer Company to.
Speaker 4: His wife. His wife. Do you know he married a sugar mama?
Speaker 3: Yeah? She Well, I didn't know that. When I saw the press release, I was like, Oh, her name is Cynthia Fisher, Like she needs these billions of dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's Her name is Cynthia Fisher.
Speaker 1: She's a healthcare entrepreneur who sits on the company board, who's seventy five years old. He's looking really good for seventy five years old. Brute's first batch of Boston Lager in his kitchen, his great grandfather's beer recipe, like Chad mentioned back in nineteen eighty four, But he said that he is going to be handing it over to his wife.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: He doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon, but when he does decide to retire, he will be handing the company over to his wife.
Speaker 4: Now. The company went public in nineteen eighty five. Today it's market.
Speaker 1: Value is three point five billion dollars billion with the B Yes, that's actually down twelve.
Speaker 4: Billion from the year of the we.
Speaker 3: Won't mention twelve down twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from the year that we won't mention fifteen billion.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah. Cook's voting power will eventually pass to his wife, who's sixty three. They've been married for thirty years. But she founded via Cord a cord Blood stem cell banking business back in nineteen ninety three and sold it for three hundred million dollars back in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: Which will help offset some of that twelve billion loss.
Speaker 1: But her recent work included founding two advocacy groups pushing for pricing transparency in healthcare. Sam Cook's founder, Jim Cook, will pass the control over.
Speaker 4: To his wife when he plans to retire.
Speaker 1: Now, Like I said, I asked this question back in twenty seventeen, when he plans to retire, Because it's gonna happen. I knew, I know that eventually, Rock Wagner and Larry Bell, they're gonna want to go fishing. What are they gonna plan on doing? Now we know what happened with Larry Bell, But.
Speaker 3: Well that was a weird one too, because.
Speaker 4: Larry Bell Bell's brewing company. I'm sorry if you don't know.
Speaker 1: Out of Calamus in Michigan, and I interviewed Larry Bell and asked him the same question.
Speaker 3: Well, I asked him whenever I moved here, because he was releasing the re release his original batch of Bell's beer, trying to recreate it. And I did an interview with him there in the in the tap room at the brewery, the Eccentric Cafe, and I asked him, I said, what's next for Larry Bell? Not the brewery, what's next for Larry Bell? Like, you've done this, you've done this, You've brought this back. What's what's new for you? What's next? He's like, well, you know, we'll just have to wait and see. You know, I don't and I'm not really sure, but you know, I got a great team here, and you know I'm gonna be working on some things. And then like thirty days later later, Larry Bell retires. I'm like, you son of them.
Speaker 4: I hate that.
Speaker 1: Makes me say you knew I wanted to like scoop, and you just couldn't give it to me.
Speaker 3: You couldn't give me the lead on that one, cause come on, I press.
Speaker 4: I pressed brock Wagner over at Saint Ron Brewer Company.
Speaker 1: He's so hard on that question. He was like, no, I don't plan on ever retiring. Like, dude, come, I mean you eventually want to go fishing, right, he.
Speaker 3: Can probably go fishing whenever he wants it, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: But he's still he's still in the day to day operations. He's still sitting down job interviews, even when it's like a they're hiring a packaging clerk or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I believe it because once you once you take your finger off the pulse, it's over. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's not like you want to hand the keys to somebody else, unless maybe your Pep's blue ribbon. But then that's another story. Wait what well, just what that's called a segue?
Speaker 4: Hipter's rejoice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hipster's rejoice. PB are announcing a brand new contract and a brewing agreement with another brewer because apparently they need greater flexibility in the market and greater options to be able to get their products out. My guess is has something to do with consolidation and reducing costs. But that's just an op ed, you know, I'm just throwing in my little comments. But it has been announced that PEB are beginning in the first quarter of twenty twenty five, the San Antonio based brewery is going to begin using this you have to be named hold on, just wait, I'm teasing it. Mega Brewery to contract brew some of its beloved brands, including as Harbor Light. Did not get the call on that, and uh Bill saw Bill saw paps Blue Ribbon coming down a caller ID and he's like, I do want to talk to those guys. PBR Old Milwaukee Old Style and Lone Star and even Stros which are currently brewed in third party plants. And they recently reached another agreement with a Lacrosse Bay, Wisconsin based brewery, City Brewing to brew many of these beers has now expanded to go with the world's largest brewing company a B in Bev, which operates twelve breweries all across the country. And you will now have PBR being brewed at the Houston plant, the Houston, Yes, the Houston A B. MBEV plant, although I would if city brewing runs out of capacity, Bill's got, Bill's got what are you on? A three barrel system? A five barrel says we can do ten kegs of stros at a time.
Speaker 1: So, if I remember correctly, they're brewing PAPS in the Miller plant in Dallas Fort Worth.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. It was at the most. Yes, it was part of the.
Speaker 4: Miller Molson course, Miller.
Speaker 3: Molson cores production and it was in Fort Worth. And yeah that that that agreement, Yeah, just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it ended and so they were, you know, trying to get contract negotiations, and now abn Bev's picking it up.
Speaker 4: And now they're going to be brewing it in the Houston plants.
Speaker 2: Off.
Speaker 3: Its first time that a PBR or the PAPS product is going to be brewed in an ab MBEV facility.
Speaker 4: I wonder if hipsters are mad about that.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, but I gotta tell you, man, I mean, Protestants are going to the Catholic church. Catholics are showing up over there with the Jews. Everybody's crying together.
Speaker 1: He speaking of mad. I didn't realize there's so many fans out there. But Heineken is announced that they're gonna be discontinuing a popular beer brand, and people are very upset on social media. Heineken Silver, the brewers four percent extra refreshing lagger, has disappeared from pubs and supermarket shelves and people are mad. Now I don't know anybody that drinks Heineken Silver, just like I don't know anybody that drinks Millery, Miller High Life Light.
Speaker 3: Miller High Life Light.
Speaker 1: But people are very, very upset, and they took to social media to Heineken talking about how they are not happy with the fact that they are discontinuing their Heineken Silver that's just disappeared without any word. They didn't tell anybody, but apparently Heineken took the decision following poor sales. The lighter beer has been aimed for younger audience and on the audience, they liked it, but they weren't buying enough of it, so they have discontinued the crisp flavor of the Heineken Silver.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, a lot of people who thought it was a better product than next thing. You know, it's like Kaiser SoSE man it was gone.
Speaker 4: I mean, they released it in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: It wasn't out very long, but they, you know, just out enough to have enough fans to be upset. But they're now focusing more on the Heineken zero point zero. That's what they're gonna be focusing their sales on.
Speaker 3: So hop water again.
Speaker 1: Just telling you, Chad, non alcoholck beer not going anywhere anytime.
Speaker 3: So I'm still making my prediction that's the next bubble to burst.
Speaker 1: Okay, we gotta take a break. Last segment, hang with us. We got one more. We're gonna talk about the marketing idea of the week, and then I got a feel good story that's gonna leave you nice and warm inside Austin.
Speaker 4: So much more coming up in the last segment.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back believe in something they say, We believe.
Speaker 5: We'll have another beer. This is what's on tap Radio. Back to James and Chad.
Speaker 4: That it's been a fun show. I can't believe this is the last segment for the week. I had a lot of good stories.
Speaker 1: If you've missed an ounce of its, check out our podcast, which is available everywhere thanks to our friends over at Cast Branding. But make sure to check out our social It's what's on tap radio. That's Facebook, x, TikTok, Instagram, all the fun stuff. But a couple of stories you get to before we get out of here. But I know before we do.
Speaker 4: That, Chad and Bill want to crack their like tenth beer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, we did have Mike Debrees from Humming Bird Hops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for hanging out, man, Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Dude, appreciate it. That way we can open up more beers talk about him. We just finished a Scottish style of Scottish inspired beer actually product of Scotland, the car Jacobite ale and eight percent beer that we Bill and I found when we were on our most Excellent Adventure. And then Bill just opened up another beer here, which is which is he's gonna spill it.
Speaker 10: He's with lumber blend of barrel aged stout age for thirty two months in bourbon barrels before being blended on and conditioned on pecans, coffee, vanilla beans, and cocon.
Speaker 3: It sounds expensive there, so don't spill any of that because they're aged for thirty two months old. Yeah like tar. Yeah, I was gonna say like motor oil here. All right, So this is what we've got going on to number fourteen blended with lumber and ooh that's nice.
Speaker 1: I don't remind that they are professionals. They are sharing, sharing and drinking responsibly. So those are listening to the show for the first time going, oh.
Speaker 4: My gosh, they were out of control over there.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say this right now, this is together. We've only had like one beer. Yeah, this is basically a pastry stout, is what it is. It's so rich and it's cake like, it's liquid cake. That's all it is. Yeah, all right, Well to put a bow on the show, I want to talk about this so you might. I mentioned this beer is expensive, but you know what, this beer does not require an application to get a loan. You don't need to spend that much money to get one of these. But there are beers out there like that. And if you can make a beer like that and sell it and sell out.
Speaker 1: Of it, that's the part that's incredible to me. I know, the fact they sold out of this beer that you might.
Speaker 3: Make the marketing idea of the week. Lakewood Brewing Company out of Garland, Texas. We've had them on the show. Wim Benz, who is the absolute greatest karaoke singer I have ever met in my life.
Speaker 4: He is not lying.
Speaker 3: No, that guy. So some people like they do you know, you know, Monday night bowling or they do Thursday night trivia. He does Tuesday night karaoke.
Speaker 4: Every week and every week.
Speaker 3: Yep, he does. And they are known for their their stout. They called a temptate called Temptress, and they make so good it is, but then they make a bourbon barrel age Temptress. And this year, oh yeah, this year, to celebrate their twelfth anniversary, they took the bourbon barrel age Temptress and they aged it for nine months in oak bourbon barrels, giving it hints of vanilla and oak and toffee and garmels.
Speaker 4: Like I was pregnant.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was conceived nine months ago. Oh yes, intertwining this boozy and dangerously smooth tree. And they wanted to showcase it for their twelfth anniversary, and they decided to do a limited edition, very special six Leader Methusela bottle. If you're not familiar with a Methusla bottle, that's a Belgian name that they give for a six leader. Yeah that's a giant I mean it is such a giant. A leader of beer is like thirty three point five ounces a five gallon bucket, a five gallon bucket. Okay, so it's a five gallon bucket of beer. There you go. So Bill did the conversion. We're not show about math, but he knew that. And in case you're wondering how much Old wim Men's was selling the methusela bottle, the five gallon bucket of beer, the sixth Leader. It sold for three hundred dollars a bottle and sold out. So it's only four bottles of it.
Speaker 4: She who cares.
Speaker 3: The dude made money and we're here talking about it. So that is your marketing idea of the week.
Speaker 4: The flavors of it, the flavors of it. So did really, really good.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you. But I mean, you know, bourbon barrel aged temptress is always good. But I mean you start getting you know, coffee notes, vanilla notes, rum notes, toffee notes, not rum. I'm sorry I said rum, but barrel. You get that wood, toffee and just coffee yum yum.
Speaker 4: Just intertwined. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wish I get my hands on that, but unfortunately I don't have three hundred dollars to drop.
Speaker 4: But yeah, TEMs not available.
Speaker 3: Sold out and unlike, unlike the Miller Lite products, this one actually existed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just sell out of it.
Speaker 3: So that's hey, whim. I hope you make a million dollars with that idea. He probably only made, like, you know, two or three thousand dollars with that idea. But still it's a good idea.
Speaker 4: Good for hill Man marketing.
Speaker 3: Idea of the week.
Speaker 4: All right, Like I said, I want to end the show on a high notes. I like this story.
Speaker 1: I like post Malone. I'm a postmlone fan. A thirty six year old bartender right here in Houston, we're on Broadcasting Studio. S had a very good Christmas, all thanks to post Malone. Her name's Renee Brown. She's a single mom with no other family. She works two jobs and also homeschools her daughter. She was working late shift at a neighborhood bar called the rail Yard on Christmas Eve, and it was a slow night until Posts showed up with Shaboozie and a few friends. She told a publication that the group hung out on the patio played songs on the jukebox from twelve thirty to two am, they were parted up and then Post went to pay the check, but he didn't have one. His friends and a few regulars have been buying the drinks, but he wanted to leave a tip, so he asked Renee to charge them something, you know, even if it was just a penny. So she ended up charging him one dollar, and when she was closing down, she checked the receipts and realized he had tipped her twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: At the club getting tipped. See, I thought you said nothing good happens after midnight.
Speaker 4: That only does for her.
Speaker 1: He was still there, so she tracked him down and just started crying. And there's actually a photo of the receipt and a shot of this to two of them, and she says it was the most humble celebrity she's ever met. Quote if this message reaches him, I know I told him right. How grateful I am. I like to reiterate that he helped me in many ways I.
Speaker 4: Can't even begin to explain. She said.
Speaker 1: She's been struggling to scrape by and hasn't had a car for two years, so twenty grand is.
Speaker 4: A life changing amount of money.
Speaker 1: So post malone hanging out in Houston because the Houston Texans. They played it on Christmas Day and Beyonce had a halftime show and she brought out some guests including post Malone and Shabboozy.
Speaker 4: It was a good halftime show. I thought it was very good. But yeah, so he was in town and just happened to give her twenty thousand dollars. How about that? Do you think he meant like to give her like two hundred dollars. He was like, Oh no, my accountant's not gonna be happy about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I uh. There was another story I saw. I'm just gonna drop this in here, but there was a guy who went to a bar and he ordered a beer and this was in the UK, I believe, Yeah, I believe it was in the UK. And he paid for his beer, and all of a sudden, the card reader acted up a little bit and it's like, what the heck's this? What's that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Well, try running again? Acted a little funny, and next you know, boom ran it and he's like, I don't normally get a receipt, but I'm gonna get a receipt. Give me get the receipt and he goes and he's looking at it. He's like, what the heck? And he was charged fifty thousand pounds your British pounds for a beer, and somebody skimmed his card and by the time he was able to start, oh yeah, so he's sitting there, Yeah, I mean it wasn't because he left a fifty thousand dollars tip. And so he started trying to process everything, and he went and they checked the card again and it's like, by then it had wrung up to one hundred one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: How much money does this guy have in his account?
Speaker 1: My car would be declined decline, decline, decline, decline.
Speaker 3: Dude, dude. So the dude paid a So he went on to brag and say that I'm forever gonna be known as the guy who spent one hundred thousand pounds for a beer. Of course, he did get his money back at it took a few weeks. He didn't get it all back at once. But another feel good story where the credit card companies and the banks work together get the guy money back. But that's why you have it. But there's your bow on the show. Let's wrap it up, James.
Speaker 1: Yeah, post bow tips to single moms twenty thousand dollars on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 1: So all right, that is our first show. It's twenty twenty five. We hope you enjoyed it. But before we get out of here, let's think our advertiser's someone that help us stay on the radio each and every week. That being Superior Pest Control will be a lot of conference and events we know today an insurance group, the back of a girl keeping the lights nice and brights in nice and cozy here CDUs thanks for harbar Light Brewing and of course sponsoring our podcast cast branding.
Speaker 3: So thanks Mike Debries from Hummingbird Hops for job dropping in.
Speaker 4: Absolutely it's been fun.
Speaker 1: So from Bitology Chad Pilbem Harblelighte Bill I am Bugu James of saying thanks for checking out what's on top Radio. We hope you enjoying it, and we hope that you joined us for another action back radio show next week.
Speaker 4: Neither in folks, cheers