Speaker 1: Ready to dive into the world of networking. Today, we're tackling Mike Myers Comtia Network Plus Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting Networks, sixth edition.
Speaker 2: Oh a classic and for good reason.
Speaker 1: It really is. And you know what makes it even better, the author, Jonathan S. Weisman, talk about a legend forty four certifications.
Speaker 2: Wow, forty four that's impressive.
Speaker 1: Right, We're talking Cisco's CCMP Enterprise, Comtia Network Plus, Ya, you name it.
Speaker 2: He's even in the IPv six Forms Hall of Fame. That's how good he is.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so you know this book is the real deal. Imagine this, You've just finished your IT training and land a job as a desktop support specialist nice at JSW, a mid size IT consulting firm.
Speaker 2: Great place to get your hands dirty with all sorts of network setups. You'd learn a lot there.
Speaker 1: For sure, diverse clients, real world problems, you'd experience it all, and.
Speaker 2: We're better to start than with the OSI model. Sounds scary, but it's just a roadmap for how networks talk to each other.
Speaker 1: It's like sending letter. Actually, each layer of the OSI model is like a step in the postal system.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see where you're going with this.
Speaker 1: So you write the letter. That's the application layer, like your email, you format it and put it in an envelope that is like the presentation layer, and so on until the physical layer, where those bits are actually flying across the wires, just like your mail carrier driving to the destination.
Speaker 2: And the book gives some good real world examples for each layer, like m mass addresses. Those are on the data link layer. They're like return addresses for your devices.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a good way to put it. And then there's the network layer with the IP addresses, right, those are essential.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, like the street address for your data packets.
Speaker 1: So everything works together to make sure that data gets where it needs to go precisely. Speaking of the Internet, the book mentions a documentary NERDS two point zero point one, a Brief History of the Internet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think I've heard of that one from the nineties.
Speaker 1: Right, nineteen ninety eight to be exact. You can find it on the Internet Archive.
Speaker 2: Nice, might have to check that out.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be a fascinating look at the early days of the Internet.
Speaker 2: Definitely worth a watch.
Speaker 1: Then now let's talk speed Ethernet speed.
Speaker 2: It's gone crazy fast, right, it's mind blowing. We've gone from ten melvps to eight hundred gbps. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're even talking about a one point six tvps standard soon.
Speaker 2: It's insane. But for now, let's stick with what's common. Gigabit ethernet. That's what you're likely to be working with.
Speaker 1: Right. Let's say you need to design a network for a new office building. Gigabit ethernet is the way to go. But it's not as straightforward as it sounds.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. You've got options, different tips of gigabit ethernet, each with its own use case. Like what, well, there's a thousand base T your standard copper cable setup, good for most offices.
Speaker 1: Okay, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Then you've got a thousand base LX that's your long distance runner fiber optic cables, perfect for connecting buildings across a campus.
Speaker 1: So fiber for longer distances.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and for shorter distances often used in data centers, there's one thousand base SX also fiber.
Speaker 1: Got it. So it's about choosing the right tool for the job basically.
Speaker 2: Exactly distance, number of devices budget for those network interface cards and ICs. Yeah, they're what let your computers connect to the network.
Speaker 1: Right, of course, so many factors to consider. It's like a.
Speaker 2: Puzzle, it is, and that's part of what makes networking so interesting. But let's move on to the glue that holds it all together. The TCPIP protocol suite.
Speaker 1: The language of the Internet. Right. It's been around forever, it seems. Why is it still so important?
Speaker 2: Because it's what makes the Internet work. Email streaming, everything online relies on TCPIP.
Speaker 1: Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way.
Speaker 2: And at the heart of it all IP addresses your data's home address, like.
Speaker 1: How the postal service needs an address to deliver mail, makes sense exactly.
Speaker 2: And understanding these addresses, how they're structured, the different classes and subnetting that's key.
Speaker 1: Subnetting that sounds a little intimidating.
Speaker 2: It's not as bad as it sounds. Think of it like this. You've got a big office building and you need to divide it into departments, each with its own set of office numbers. Subnetting's kind of like that. You're taking a network and dividing it into smaller subnetworks, each with its own IP address range.
Speaker 1: So it's about managing those addresses more.
Speaker 2: Efficiently, exactly. And to make things even more efficient, we have private IP addresses.
Speaker 1: Private IP addresses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like having a separate set of addresses you use inside your home, but you still have a public address for mail. It's all about conserving those public IP addresses that everyone shares. Those are defined in a document called RFC nineteen eighteen, by the way, if you want to look it up.
Speaker 1: Interesting. So it's like an internal address system exactly.
Speaker 2: Pretty clever, right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got these sub networks. They're all organized, but how do we actually see what's happening on them. It's like a highway system. You need a way to monitor the traffic.
Speaker 2: Right, you're spot on, and that's where packet sniffing comes in.
Speaker 1: Packet sniffing sounds kind of sneaky.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit like listening in on the conversations your network devices are having. But it's not about gossip. It's about data. You're seeing how your network is performing.
Speaker 1: I'm listening. Tell me more about how this packet sniffing works.
Speaker 2: So imagine a device that can see all the data packets flowing through a specific point on your network. You see where they're coming from, where they're going, even what's inside. That's packet sniffing.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's pretty powerful. Yeah, so what do you use like a special tool.
Speaker 2: There's a great tool called wire shark. It's open source, so it's free, and it's like the Swiss Army Knife of network analysis.
Speaker 1: Super versatile, Free is always good. So what can you actually do with it?
Speaker 2: Just about anything, troubleshooting problems, analyzing traffic, even detecting security threats.
Speaker 1: It's like having x ray vision into your network exactly, so we can see what's happening. But what about the protocols that make it all work? The book mentions ARP and ICMP. What are those all about?
Speaker 2: Those are the unsung heroes working behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: ARP.
Speaker 2: That's Address Resolution Protocol. It's like a directory service for your network.
Speaker 1: Like a phone book for devices.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Every device has an IP address, right, but also has a physical address m mass address tied to its network card. ARP helps devices find each other's MC addresses when they only know the IP ah.
Speaker 1: So if my computer wants to send data to another computer, it uses ARP to look up the m healz address. That's clever and ICMP.
Speaker 2: ICMP is the Internet Control Message Protocol. It's how devices send control messages and error messages to each other.
Speaker 1: So like, if there's a problem, ICMP raises the flag. You got it?
Speaker 2: Ever, use the ping command. That's ICMP in action. It uses ICMP echo requests to see if a device is responding ping.
Speaker 1: Right. I use that all the time. It's good to know what's actually happening under the hood. Speaking of things I use all the time, Thank goodness for DNS. Imagine having to remember those long, complicated IP addresses.
Speaker 2: It would be a nightmare. That's where DNS comes in the Domain Name system. It's the Internet's phone book, translating those IP addresses into nice, easy to remote domain names.
Speaker 1: So when I type in say Google dot com, DNS is what finds the actual IP address exactly.
Speaker 2: Computer sends a request to a DNS server, The server looks up the IP address for that domain name, sends it back to your computer, and boom, you're on Google. The book actually shows you how to set up a basic DNS server.
Speaker 1: Yourself, no way, your own little corner of the Internet. That's really neat. But okay, we've talked a lot about how networks work, But what about security? How do we actually keep all this data safe?
Speaker 2: That's the million dollar question these days. One thing's for sure. Passwords alone aren't.
Speaker 1: Cutting it, definitely not. You hear about data breaches all the time. So what's the next level up?
Speaker 2: Multi factor authentication MFA. It's like a second lock on your door. You need your password and something else, like a code from your phone or a security token.
Speaker 1: So even if someone gets your password, they still can't get in without that extra factor exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a simple but effective way to really boost security.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So we've covered a lot of ground here. The osimodel ethernet IP addresses subnetting security. We even dipped our toes into virtualization and cloud computing. That's a lot.
Speaker 2: It's a lot to take in, for sure, But the key takeaway is that networking is the backbone of well pretty much everything these.
Speaker 1: Days, and like any backbone, it's made up of all these interconnected parts, each with its own important job.
Speaker 2: And the cool thing is it's always evolving.
Speaker 1: That's true, there's always something new to learn in the world of networking.
Speaker 2: This deep dive was really just the beginning. We've given you a foundation but there's a whole universe of knowledge out there to explore.
Speaker 1: The book has a ton of hands on labs that's a great way to really solidify what you've learned.
Speaker 2: Absolutely think of it like a networking playground, safe to experiment and try things out exactly.
Speaker 1: And don't forget all those online resources we mentioned. There's so much information available.
Speaker 2: It's all about staying curious and never stop learning.
Speaker 1: Well said, So for all you listeners out there, consider this your official invitation to the exciting world of networking.
Speaker 2: Whether you're just starting out or you're a season pro, there's always something new to discover.
Speaker 1: And with that, until next time, happy networking,