Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, So just to keep you guys updated.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you usually go elsewhere to find updates like this, but you know why not.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 3: We had a large explosion here in Louisville earlier today, right as the show started. About two hours ago, there was a big explosion at the Gavaden Since Color Company that's on Pain Street near the Clifton area Frankfort Avenue. And what we know now is that at least eleven have been hospitalized, but there's been no fatalities. So Mayor Greenberg around four point thirty had a briefing with the media and said that they're going to have another update later tonight. But he did say that things were apparently going on as normal at this factory before the explosion happened. It obviously, you know, very dangerous, very scary situation. Great to know that there have been no fatalities, and uh, just looking at the the the aftermath, Uh, there's now an there's now a I guess a picture from chopper coverage flying over it that I'm looking at here actually at w HS eleven, and I mean it's it's pretty it's pretty insane that there's nobody that has been that that has that has died. I mean almost unbelievable. So, uh, looks like right now there, let me see, let me stible check here.
Speaker 2: There was a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it says, see, this is from the Louisville Metro Emergency Services that, uh, the shelter in place for the incident is being lifted. The evac order for the two surrounding blocks is still in place. So I suppose the shelter in place for the one mile radius has been lifted. But if you are within a couple of blocks of where that took place, uh, And I'm sure if.
Speaker 2: You are in that area, you know that you're in that.
Speaker 3: Area, you know if it applies to you that there's ill the evacuation order. So they don't know what caused it. Again, sounds like they were just going about their workday like they typically do, and then a big boom, big loud explosion. So I'm glad to know that that first responders were there as quick as possible. And right now it sounds like, you know, nobody has died from this, which I got to get a little more smooth delivering and discussing news like this because I'm trying to be very delicate and not you know, like you know. But yeah, scary situation and hopefully and in the end everybody ends up being okay.
Speaker 4: The girlfriend told me she was not in that area, but she was at the dog Park bar near our near our house, PG and Jay's. It's over there on the lower end of Backstra Avenue, kind of not far from it, and she was outside and she said she heard and felt something.
Speaker 2: I believe it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's pretty crazy to know.
Speaker 4: And that's still like I'm not too good at like calculating miles how far away that is, but it can't be more than four or five miles from where we're at, so probably imagine.
Speaker 3: Failing shorter than that, to be honest, Well, because it's tough to know when you're downtown, you know, it's not like you just hop on the interstate. Yeah, I mean, I'll put in something GPS that I know is, you know, Phoenix Hill area or something, and I know that it's like a mile and a half away, but it might take me, you know, ten minutes to get there. But I'm gonna sit and if you guys haven't seen it, I'll tweet it out. Uh it you know not I'll credit where it's from. It's from WHAS eleven, but it's within the article. But I just send it to you in your DMS. The picture here, I mean, it's it's pretty remarkable to see this and know that, you know, it sounds like I don't want to say everybody's gonna be okay, I don't know that, but to hear that as of now they know that everybody's been accounting for and there are no fatalities, that's that's pretty crazy.
Speaker 5: Did you get to pick checking in?
Speaker 2: Look at that?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's big time, big time scary. And you can tell where, you know, I'm not super familiar with where this is. I know the whereabouts, but I can't pinpoint, you know, exactly where that is, my good but you can see right behind I mean, it's backs right up to homes where people live and probably were at home. So yeah, I mean, I gotta be honest with you, I don't really know what I was expecting as far as the visual, but that is I mean, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Yep. Looks like an explosion happened there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yikes. All right, let's let's get back to the party here and again here. I can't I'm just I'm I'm spinning my wheels here, trying not to be insensitive, but I can't help but saying things like I'm acting like this doesn't matter. I don't want to, you know, I need like that thing and Men in Black where you just like when you flash that thing and forget her. Yeah, like the way I can just get back to, you know, the typical nonsense that you get on this show, because I'm trying to make that transition, but I'm trying to do it delicately and with respect to what's going on. So anyways, it is Coffee and Company, the five o'clock hour here on a Tuesday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging with us, Nick Cough that is me, Austin Montgomery, alongside our final hour here before we wrap it up, and certainly a lot to get into if you are just now joining us.
Speaker 2: Man, you missed out.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't tell you exactly what you missed out on, but you missed out on some fun. We did talk about how the Louisville football season. You know, for me, it just kind of feels like it never really got rolling. And I would say the biggest factor in that is the fact that they had some build up with some of these games and then they fell short. And when they did finally break through and beat a good team that clearly had a lot of value in that win, it was on the road. Didn't mean it wasn't awesome, But then you have a month between home games, which is not usual. The home game schedule itself wasn't very good. So I just think it's a variety of things that's kind of led to you know, and I know I'm not alone and maybe others wouldn't describe it the way that I am, but it just kind of feels flat and that has nothing to do I mean, I'm not saying that because I'm being critical of the team. I mean, obviously they you know, wish they would have won some of those games they lost early, but they're going to be probably in the top twenty to and the college football playoff rankings, and you know that will mean that since Jeff Brohm's been here, every time the college football playoff rankings have been live Louisville has been ranked and that's that's that's where you want to be. Obviously, you'd like to be ranked higher. You'd like to be potentially thinking you could make the playoff, but that's that's really out of the picture now and that's a bummer. But again, I still think there there's a scenario where they finish out with with you know, winning every game left in the regular season, winning your bowl game. And if that's the case in you're ten and three, I mean, I think you'd wrap up the first two years of the Bram era of feeling like you're in a really really good spot.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: If you guys want to join us on the show, you can five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number to give us a call. You can text in on the ln N Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Obviously a lot of talk about basketball as well.
Speaker 3: We did talk with Cel Brown kind of talking about what happened on Saturday against Tennessee for Louisville, and I do want to kind of I want to dive back into that coming up here shortly, because you know, cl you know, I think he said what a lot of folks were seeing on Saturday, that this team doesn't really appear to have a guy that is okay, let's let this guy create something. Let's let him get us into something. Rather that's pick and roll action, maybe that's you know, running, running the running the team and finding a potential mismatch. Maybe it's just some motion sets. But I'm not ready to say they don't have it. I'm more so ready to say that we just don't have a clue who it is, because what happened on Saturday is you saw these guys for the first time realize okay. So, and I'm sure they knew that there'd be teams out there that could stop them from doing what they wanted to do. They just hadn't experienced it yet. I mean, they hadn't played a game within what forty points, seemingly because of the exhibitions and even moorehead State, so it wasn't possible for them to have, you know, any experience on Saturday to kind of know what to revert to. And now they were exposed in a major by a really good team. And I think there's going to be many teams that can't really do to you what Tennessee did. But still there'll be teams that can take you out of what you want to do, and you got to have a different plan. And what that plan is, I'm not sure, but I'm I'm sure Pat Kelsey's working on figuring that out, because you know, I don't. I think there are some guys that can maybe not just you know, score on anybody, it will, but there are some things you can do with the personnel that you have to where when you're in a situation like you saw yourself in on Saturday, where Tennessee was damn near flawless at stopping you defensively from getting rhythmic threes, getting out quick before the defense gets back to find somebody spotting up for a good look. I mean, they didn't get many of those looks, and you know it resulted and you lose about twenty two points. But we'll get back into that coming up here a little bit later. On Also tonight, Big Night in the Champions Classic, the annual event that really is I think the first night of the college basketball season where you have this many eyeballs on you. I mean, there's already been some really good game to be honest with you. I mean that that Ykon, not Yukon Kansas North Carolina game. I mean even even Gonzaga and Baylor. Last week on Saturday Night you had Baylor in Arkansas. So you've had some pretty good games early on. But man, I'm sure a lot of people aren't paying any attention. You know, I get it. But tonight you'll have a lot of people paying attention, even if it's not for the games themselves, They're going to have it on because they're going to want to hear about the update to the college football playoff rankings. So I asked the question to cl what result would surprise you the most, if any, because we now are just used to how this works. You get these four big brands that more often than not are always going to have high expectations every single season, and we now know that a loss here doesn't mean that that team or both teams that lose can end up winning the national championship. So Kentucky winning I think it's a real possibility. I don't if it's going to happen, but I think it's a real possibility because Duke, they've never I mean, these are young guys that you know, I'm sure they've played really good players before. I mean, Duke does have some guys coming back that has experienced. But clearly, if Duke's an elite team this year, it's going to be because of Cooper Flag. So I have no clue what to expect, But that doesn't really take away my excitement to watch and see how things see how things play out. But look, if you're Kentucky, I can tell meaning Kentucky, if you're Kentucky fan, I should say, I can tell that you all have some similar vibes compared to what Louisville had last week leading up to the Tennessee game, because you know, it's a new era, you're certainly excited about the future, and you're looking at this game is a big opportunity to make a splash, make a statement this early on in the Mark Pope era. Louisville, of course, was humbled and they were not able to make any kind of statement other than they got a lot of work to do. But Kentucky will see what happens with them. I mean, it would be massive for Mark Pope to get this win. And I mean I'm probably not even gonna need to warn you. I think you know, if you're a Louisville fan or a Kentucky fan, Uh, they're gonna be next level obnoxious if they can win tonight. And I probably would do the same thing if I was them, and it would be really a it'd be an early victory and maybe I don't know, let's say a seven game series throughout this season. And what I mean by that is the breakup happened. And you know, I'm sure there's some Kentucky fans that claim they don't know or care anything about cal and what Arkansas is doing. But I don't believe a lot of you. And even if that is true, you, I think are in the minority. I think it's natural when you have the situation play out the way that it did for Kentucky and Cali Perry that you know you're gonna you're gonna watch what he's doing, and you know he's watching what you're doing. And to have two really big victories against teams you know you should have beat bad and you did. And then to see that he lost to Baylor in a game where he looked like he didn't change anything about himself as a coach. Right, playing old outdated, an old outdated style of basketball after the loss, blaming it on youth, blaming it on inability to practice, and you know, just doing the same Cal shtick. And you know that's obviously that obviously became very stale for Kentucky fans, understandably so so you know you now don't have as much pressure, I guess to go beat Duke. But if you do, I mean you are you would you can clearly say you're winning the breakup in a major way at that point. Now maybe it changes, maybe Cal and Arkansas get hot, and maybe when you guys meet in February at up Arena it's a different situation and and and things have shifted. But if Mark Pope wins this tonight, I mean, I feel like you'll hear, you'll see, you'll feel I mean, maybe you'll avoid it if you're a Louisville fan, but rather just be excitement of noxiousness whatever, like they'll be on cloud nine. And I get it because it's it is an exciting thing when you go through a new era, especially whenever the things you probably didn't even realize you missed. Mark Pope is delivering that. And what I mean is it was just about Cal, not really about Kentucky. I mean that was his brand. He you know, never checked the boxes that Pope has checked since he arrived, which is just making everybody know that it's about Kentucky. It's not about me, you know, And I'm sure that's really refreshing. Now again, I think we all know he's got a win for fans to ultimately say this thing, this is going great, but you know, for him to really, you know, do it off the floor, do everything the opposite of cal and that that's got to be.
Speaker 2: A great feeling. And then for you to potentially get a win the night would be big. But I hope they lose.
Speaker 3: I just I have no clue, and I mean no clue what will play out in this game. I can see Duke being the deserving favorite, just because they bring back some good players from a year ago. But I also have a guy that people think is going to be the best player in the country in Cooper Flag And he's averaging right now fifteen points, none rebounds, four assists, two and a half steals, a block and a half, shooting at forty four percent from the field.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's he's he's.
Speaker 3: Been really good so far and wouldn't be a shocker if he's the kind of guy that takes his game to a different level whenever the competition is tougher, and they're going to play good teams this year, meaning Duke. But so far their schedule has been two games against nobody's Maine and Army. Now on the Kentucky side, you know, they don't have an NBA first rounder, at least I don't think they do. But they've got a good collection of players. They've got good shooters, you know, So the scenario where Duke wins, it's just the talent is is that much better for them at the top end.
Speaker 2: Kentucky though.
Speaker 3: I mean, if they're winning, it's not because they're shutting Duke down defensively.
Speaker 2: It's because it's a fast paced.
Speaker 3: Game, a lot of points scored, and they just kind of hold on and survive. I will say this, I don't think you'll see a blowout on either side here. But again I say that acknowledging that there really isn't any result. I guess they would totally shock me. But tonight nine o'clock or I guess probably closer to nine thirty, that that's when this one tips off. There's a lot of other games going on in college basketball as well that I'm interested in, but I'm sure a lot of you guys don't don't really care about all Right, before we get to our first break here in the five o'clock hour, Austin, I've never asked you this before. Are you a Yellowstone guy?
Speaker 4: Yellowstone? I have not watched it so yet, but I'm not opposed to it. It's just the sitting down and getting invested.
Speaker 3: So Yellowstone, I've watched it, and it it's the one I would say the three shows I feel like people in you know, recent years have talked about as just being like universally loved and worshiped. Game of Thrones is up there, Ted Lasso is up there. And then I would say this, I've only watched Yellowstone now. I'm not caught up. I think I'm like two seasons behind maybe, And it's a good show. I enjoy it, but I don't meet the level. I can't I can't match the level of love that a lot of people have for it. If that's fanatics, yeah, and look, I'm a fanatic for a lot of shows, like I love getting invested in a show and just you know binging it. I mean, it's not like I'm a post to that. I'm just saying this one isn't one that like I've been obsessed with like other people have.
Speaker 5: So but what.
Speaker 3: Fascinates me is that this has now become a show that really stands alone right now when it comes to television, because if you are someone that is so obsessed with it to where you want to watch it as soon as possible and you don't want any spoilers to ruin your experience, you want to watch it right away. And it's so popular that you could be doing just about anything and potentially see a spoiler because that's how much people talk about this show. That's how popular it is. You can't open up any social media, any news site, it seems like, without seeing some kind of an update about this show because it's just that popular. However, you can't watch it on demand. You cannot DVR it, which well I guess, I guess technically you can, depending upon like the service that you have. So this is me nerding out about something that probably isn't really that fascinating to anybody else. But I know a lot of people like Yellowstone. But if you have the Paramount Network on your TV provider, you can watch it, but only live. And what I mean by that is if you've got Paramount Plus. Despite this showing on the Paramount Network, Paramount does not own the streaming rights to this show. Therefore, Paramount has one of the most popular TV shows in recent history, but they don't own the streaming rights. I only know of this because I remember last year it became like I just remember reading a story that you know, again, probably didn't interest anybody else but me. But Yellowstone is going to go down in history, not just for being a show that's legendary, but for a mistake that the writers and the producers whoever put this show together. It's a mistake they made that everybody's going to learn from because I guess they didn't expect streaming to kind of really be in the place that it's in right now. They didn't think about obtaining the streaming rights. So Peacock holds the on demand streaming rights to this show despite it being a Paramount Network show.
Speaker 4: So you can go, Ben's watch it on Peacock. You can't, Okay, No, you can't, you can't right now, Okay, So you'd have to wait Peacock. They typically don't upload new episodes until the season is either completely over or it's halfway over and you can catch up. So, I mean, I've just become spoiled to where anything, honestly, anything I watch that I really get into is not on live television. Like it's not on a network, you know what I mean, Like it's it's Apple TV, it's Netflix, it's HBO Max and technically HBO, I guess still has live TV shows, But I've never watched an A And I've watched a lot of HBO shows that I love, but like in the last six seven years, the HBO shows that I've watched, I'm just opening up the HBO app and watching it.
Speaker 3: Like right after it airs or the next day. You can't do that with with with Yellowstone.
Speaker 5: Like you have to be in front of your TV Old school went. Yeah, I mean, like it's be in front of the two.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's thirty years ago, like when we used to have to watch TV like that.
Speaker 4: Well, it's is that show still going on? Because I know they have a spinoff show of it too.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: No, the reason I'll bring up is because the new season just air. It just started Sunday, and people are still losing their mind, like, wait a second, because here's what's probably happened. You weren't watching it live because you caught up a little bit late. Well, now you've consumed every bit of it and you're thinking, okay, well, I've got the Paramount network, I've got Paramount Plus, so therefore I'm good. And then you realize, wait a second, they just aired an episode on Sunday night. Here I am on Monday. Why is it not on Paramount? And people are realizing because you have to have Peacock, and even if you buy Peacock, you won't get it until down the line. So like again, if you want to watch this, you need to have I guess you can still do the DVR thing, but a lot of people aren't really programmed to do that anymore because they just you know, a lot of these big shows, even if they do air on live TV, the way people consume them and binge them is just using the app for that TV station or that TV network. So it's a really unusual thing, and it'll it's it's I guarantee any show that anybody puts together, rather it be producers, networks, writers, They're going to make sure that they don't just own the rights to the live you know carrier, they have the streaming rights as well, because I mean, you could argue Peacock. Think about how many people have ended up with Peacock for two reasons only Yellowstone and the w W E Me. Yeah, I mean so the office the office for me actually, so you know, just I don't know, I just found that fascinating.
Speaker 5: Subscribe to the Cock for that reason.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I mean I I've got it for a variety of things. But I find myself more often than not if I'm on the if I'm on if I'm on Peacock, I'm watching my son. My son just got introduced to like old w W, WWE raw and Monday Night nightro so let's go. It's it's real nostalgic. But he really likes wrestling. But the only thing is he likes to watch it at night, and then he watches it and he doesn't want to go to.
Speaker 2: Betty's just to whoop pass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's kind of I gotta I gotta fund a balance there because him watching it late at night has led to him staying up to like one am, which is which is an ideal for for us. But anyways, just thought that was interesting because again, everybody loves Yellowstone, but if you're not watching it live and you're not dvring it, you're gonna miss it interesting.
Speaker 4: So you can go back, Like, if I wanted to go back and watch it, it's on Peacock. I can like, yeah, you I could watch a previous season.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you wanted to start fresh, you can go to Peacock and it's there.
Speaker 5: Okay, gotcha, quick break.
Speaker 3: We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: So I totally forgot that we have some additional programming coming your way here in a matter of you know, minutes, because we've got a UK women's basketball game coming up. So I'll be out of here in just a minute. To be honest with you, but I got to tell you real quick once again about my friends over at Blue Chew. Keep them in mind, fellas we're talking about something that you know is already great sex and you can make it even better with blue Chee.
Speaker 2: It's a prescription service.
Speaker 3: You don't have to worry about going to the doctor and being awkward at the pharmacy that kind of stuff. And I mean, this is the same active ingredients that you get with viagrant Cialis, but it's at a fraction of the cost, and it's in a chewable little blue tablet. And I know some people think, well, hey, I don't know this is something that you know. I don't know if I need it. I think I'm okay, Well that's fine. Don't think about it like hey, I got to have it or I won't be able to perform. It's about enhancing the experience and making the performance even better. So you can try it for free. Yes, you can try it for free. All you have to do is pay five bucks shipping and you get a month free. So go to blue choo dot com, sign up with promo code Nick seven ninety Again blue choo dot com promo code is Nick seven ninety five bucks shipping, you get a month.
Speaker 2: For free blue Choo.
Speaker 3: Chew it and do it all right, So again, very little time left here before we wrap it up. One of the things I did want to hit on when it comes to the college football playoff rankings tonight.
Speaker 2: You know, I think.
Speaker 3: Louisville will well, we'll take a jump, not probably much. And if they don't take a jump, I guess I can't say that I'm gonna be that surprised because they didn't play last week and they have three losses. So maybe there's teams that have a one, you know, Pittsburgh seven and one last week. Now there's seven and two and their losses are not quality losses quite like Louisville. So I managed to see what the committee ends up doing with with the acc here. Uh, Boise's probably gonna gonna drop down Old Miss. Beating Georgia will likely look It will likely result in them looking like the biggest winners from week one to week two of these rankings. But if for Boise, there's gonna be some outrage, understandably so. But if they went out, it'll work itself out and they're still going to be in there, you know. As far as Miami, not sure how far they're gonna fall. Uh, this is where the Committee's gonna let us know, Hey, do they you know, because Miami's loss to Georgia Tech you know, was was an upset, It wasn't a great loss. But I think this is where the committee tells us do they do they because what they do is gonna tell us the answer. Are they looking at all the other close losses that Miami probably should have had in counting that more so than just one loss, because if they do, it wouldn't wouldn't necessarily wouldn't necessarily shock me. I would expect Indiana to to jump up, maybe maybe a spot or two.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And again, I know that these rankings many they don't ma and the grand scheme of things as far as like who gets in, because it's going to play itself out. The only rankings that are going to matter are the final ones. But these weekly check ins it does give I mean, it gets people talking about the event that is the college football playoff, and it is, you know, a check in from the committee to kind of see how they view you at that point. So exciting stuff, no doubt. All Right, we're out of time, shorter show than usual.
Speaker 2: That's okay. We'll back at it tomorrow and I hope you guys will join us. Have a good night, everybody,