Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's Later with mo Kelly. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. On this Tech Thursday, Marcia Collier joins me in studio. Good evening, Marsha, Good evening. Though you heard our conversation. I was talking about the old school California driver's license that were basically photo paper, and I could use an exact knife and.
Speaker 3: Change great, and you could, you know, get older.
Speaker 4: And just immediately. It was great for when I was fifteen.
Speaker 2: They've improved the technology so you can no longer do that. They have obviously the like the credit card license with the magnetic strip that has all your information on it. And now the next iteration of that is it's going to be downloadable if you will and put into your wallet on your phone. Now it's not accepted by law enforcement.
Speaker 3: It's not accepted to spensaries, it's not accepted at nightclubs. It's still not accepted in a lot of places because AI think about it, you can easily do the same thing we used to do with an exact knife, and.
Speaker 2: Right no, I'm quite sure some fifteen year old somewhere right now is gaming the system.
Speaker 4: Of course, that's what we do right now.
Speaker 2: But much has been made of these digital versions of the driver's license. They have it in different states. It can be used as some airports. The California one doesn't have real utility as of yet, but their concerns about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was you know, I was really glad to hear that, Governor Knewsom. He just said, it's the option to hold secure, convenient, and private digital driver's license and identification cards. I'm so glad that the state of California is looking out for us. This is all part. Here comes the dark side of the statewide digital identity framework, and that is the DMV saying they have their own mobile wallet, or you can use your Apple wallet or your Android wallet to store your driver's license. Now, a lot of retail locations aren't taking it, and it does require that you still carry a physical driver's license when you're driving, so I don't know about that. The government claims that it gives us more control over how we share our information, does it, Well, yeah, it gives the government more control because that digital identity framework of the State of California sounds a whole lot like some of the things I heard when I was in China.
Speaker 2: Let me just play the other side of that argument. I could say, well, the DMV already has this information. It is digitized to a certain degree because that our driver license driver's license right now has that magnetic strip and any bar how's that freaky barcode.
Speaker 4: On the right, So they have the information.
Speaker 2: What difference does it make if it just happens to be in a digital form or some other.
Speaker 3: Digital in your phone and you have to give it permission to be there, and by you installing the app, you are given permission to your data to go elsewhere, whether you know it or not.
Speaker 4: All right, let's walk down this road.
Speaker 2: Give us a possible consequence of this more specific for people.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, that wallet that you can put a little link to on lock screen of your phone. I've been trying to do that and make it work for quite a while on Android, and it still wants my fingerprint.
Speaker 2: That is a secondary measure. I do full disclosure, I do have it on my phone, but it's in the wallet, not the general like Google, pay Apple.
Speaker 3: Pay wallt And okay, we're gonna go back to some we talked about a long time ago, and you still have to open for your phone for that right.
Speaker 2: If you look at my phone right now, it says I have to unlock, right, and then it will ask for my fingerprint, and then I'm in.
Speaker 3: Now looking at that no offense. I think there's a whole lot more stuff going on on your driver's license and to go to an airport, you don't need that. If you have TSA pre check, you can use that nice little card, yep. And then there's if you have a passport, which many people do. For five dollars more, you can get a passport card.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you this, because I am the king of losing stuff. What about when, not if, but when I'm traveling and I misplaced by passport and I don't want to be stuck in Korea like I was in June. Not stuck, but I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Okay, then you have that passport card in your wallet.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just saying, if you back.
Speaker 3: That passport card is a backup and general identification that's recognized all over the world. The California Supreme Court unanimously held that police need a warrant to search through cell phones even during arrests even you know when it's legit. But if you hand over your unlocked phone to a police officer and offer to show them something, Hey, look at a picture of my baby. Now the minute he gets that phone, you have granted a search period and there's no limits to what it can be. The ACLU says, quote, there have been cases where people give consent to do one thing and the cops take the whole phone. No, they would never do that, copy the whole phone.
Speaker 4: No, they would never do that.
Speaker 3: Find other evidence in the phone. And the legal question is what comes up in court? Is that a violation of the scope of consent? I mean, because think about it. If they find something in your if you were standing next to a major FBI thing bad happening. Just picture all the stuff you see on TV and you were there. You didn't know what was going on, but you were standing in the vicinity, and that location's living on your phone. There's going to be a lot of questioning to do.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, this is consent. Would you say you're granting consent when you hand over the phone. If I were to show an officer my digital license, which I wouldn't, I would use my physical one. But if I were to do that, is that considered handing over the phone. To the best of your knowledge.
Speaker 3: They will ask for the phone. They will ask the phone. Hey, and officers behind you one hundred percent on everything you do. But this is a privacy issue. And the thing is, if you police do have a warrant to search your phone, okay, great, they can. They say that they can require you to provide biometric which is your fingerprint or your face. Right, But that's still an unsettled question in the courts and is probably going to have to go higher. The Fifth Amendment typically protects giving up passcodes as a form of self incrimination. Just like if you were going to testify in a court, you take the fifth the minute you give the password. The passcode, in other words, the verbal thing, because in the word of one Federal Appeals Court decision, it requires no cognitive exertion, placing it firmly in the same category as a blood draw or a fingerprint, taking it at booking. So in other words, you don't have to think about it, just do it, do it, okay.
Speaker 2: So if my driver's license is not in a digital form, there is nothing.
Speaker 4: From what we know and I'm not asking you as a lawyer or an advisor, right, But does.
Speaker 2: That mean that that a law enforcement can't ask for my phone just to ask for my phone.
Speaker 3: Now, unless they have a warrant. Unless they have a warrant, you give them that paper thing along with your registration and your insurance, and you should be good to go. You know. And we all think there's nothing incriminating on our phone. Again, there could be some coincidence that places you at the scene of a crime that you weren't even aware of, and nothing's pleasant. And lawyers aren't cheap. So you know, even though Apple and Google say you can display an encrypted ID without fully unlocking your phone, I got to tell you, I just wrote a book about Android. I haven't been able to figure it out.
Speaker 2: We'll do more on this when we come back. It's Later with mo Kelly. I'm joined in studio by Marsha Callier. Fascinating conversation about rights and probable cause and how it can be used against you.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 4: With Mo Kelly, mok.
Speaker 2: AM six live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. I'm still in studio with marsh Marsha. I love technology and people don't know this, but during the break your husband showed me this really nifty, cool, necessary tech item. We had a ten second conversation. I said, boo boo, boo boop, purchase it for myself and now it's on the way to me. What do you think of this, this ability to just talk about it and order it and have it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's great because the best marketing for any good product, right is word of mouth. Right, That's it people telling people. And by the way, what Moe is talking about, it's a card that you can find on Amazon. You can find it all over the web, that you put in your wallet, and it scrambles so that somebody can't walk by and pull data. Yes they can pull data off your cards, Yes they can.
Speaker 4: Then they don't have to like pickpocket you. In the same tradition, you can.
Speaker 3: Count your money. You know, those wires in the money. They're not just there for good looks. I mean it's insane. You have no idea. Again, going back to what we were talking about, people are in good faith with all of these things, and we want to do the technology. But when it comes to the paper. Then we need to have certain things we back up our digital files. Consider the paper the backup or your main thing. Or when you travel, put it on a copier, don't scan it, don't put it in the cloud. Carry a piece of paper with your passport, your credit cards, all the things you're carrying with you in case your pickpocket in another country. Because if you walk into an American embassy in a foreign country and show them that piece of paper, they're going to be able to identify you. So the paper is our backup, and our paper can't be shared or malware dropped on, or our information stolen oops by accident. Yes it's all well meaning, but I frankly don't trust the government to have the highest level of security on everything.
Speaker 2: What do you mean you don't trust the government? You should always trust the government.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be nice? Wouldn't that be nice? Wouldn't But the people in China they trust the government?
Speaker 4: Do they?
Speaker 3: I'm afraid they have to.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying. I don't know if that's trust or coercion, but.
Speaker 3: You know it is coercion. And I got to tell you you'd never get away in a lot of countries in our world right now, of what people get away with here in Los Angeles. And I'm not talking about you, the listener, you know what I'm talking about, the break ins, the did you see that police pursuit last night? Of course?
Speaker 2: But you know, the cost of freedom is also the freedom for people to make conscious decisions to either follow the law or not follow.
Speaker 3: Them right right, and until they make it a law saying you have to just keep your regular paper. Oh and by the way, in that law the real ID, you do not have to get a real ID. You do not have to do that if you have a passport card or if you have that TSA pre check Global entry card.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of invasive. When I got my TSA pre check and even the renewal. They want to know everything. They want to know about your ex girlfriends. They want to know about everything.
Speaker 3: They know everything. That questionnaire was like eight ten pages long, easily, and.
Speaker 4: They already have the information. They just want to see if you wanna lie.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing was, I was at that time I went for my interview, and I had been traveling a lot, like every other week, different city, different.
Speaker 4: And you had China on there too, right, No.
Speaker 3: This was before China. And the guy said, well, how was Canada?
Speaker 4: They already knew, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: Remember that i'd been to Canada because I spoke at a conference for one night and I left Canada. So Canada, I love you, Canada, but you weren't top of mind. Well that caused them to grill me an extra. They kept going at me and going at me. Oh yeah, that's where I bought the blah blah, the duty free store. That's how I remember where I go. Sad but yeah, I mean, you have to answer questions, they have to scan your retinas.
Speaker 4: But it's worth it, better worth it. It is really worth it to travel with Global Entry. It is. It's hard for me to say that I would ever go back.
Speaker 3: No, And for those of you who don't have it, what Global Entry does for you real fast is when you enter the United States. You know, when the crew kind of trounces off and walks past that nice man with their baggage and waves back.
Speaker 2: It kind of bypasses that super long line of people waiting to put their laptops and the thing to take it off their shoety.
Speaker 3: No, I'm talking about when you're leaving leaving the airport after an international flight and you got the guys there looking at the bags. The dogs are walking around sniffing, but the crew just gets to go right through. Well, if you have global entry, you just get to walk right through behind the crew. And the man says, how a nice day to do? Or do you do any shopping? And you said, yeah, I got a few souvenirs. Okay, have a wonderful day. See it because they know who you are. Yeah, they scan your retina coming and going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we may not like facial recognition or retinal scanning, but they already know who you are.
Speaker 3: That's the point. And let's hope that that helps to prevent false arrests and bad things going on in the future.
Speaker 2: Marshall Caryer, I could talk to you all night and thank you for the technological suggestion.
Speaker 4: And I can't wait till I get my card.
Speaker 3: Tip of the date and then we'll bring something and try and test it. How's that?
Speaker 2: See if you can steal my data? Yeah, in real time, let's not just say we did.
Speaker 3: Okay, mo, I will see you next week.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had this experience where you may sign up for something, a subscription, maybe it's like a trial, and then if you don't cancel within seven days or whatever, it automatically bills you. You may forget about it, and then you get your bank statement a few months later and you realize, hey, you've been charged by three or four months in a row, and you can't remember exactly where you signed up or how to cancel it. And these services across the board, they're very, very smart about making it difficult for you to cancel a subscription.
Speaker 4: That's the whole point. They want you to forget about it.
Speaker 2: They want you to get frustrated and give up or go on to some other task, and you forget and all of a sudden, another billing cycle has passed.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a new law to address that.
Speaker 2: Back on Tuesday, Governor Knwsom signed AB twenty eight sixty three, which requires businesses to offer a simple way, and that's kind of subjective, a simple way for users to cancel their online subscriptions for people just like me. For example, if a user signs up for a service online, businesses must now offer an online click to cancel option click to cancel.
Speaker 4: It's a great idea.
Speaker 2: The law also requires businesses to send subscribers like me because I forget, send an annual reminder about the subscriptions costs, how to cancel, and potential price changes and.
Speaker 4: Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: But I'm pretty sure, like an Amazon subscription that's just automatically renewed, because I don't remember them sending me an email saying, hey, you better renewed because we're getting ready to cancel. You know, it's done automatically. That's like one hundred and thirty eight dollars or something.
Speaker 4: I think you get to notice after they have renewed it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they'll let you know, yes, you are renewed for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: After they've helped themselves to your bank account. Then they like, you know, welcome back. Right, Wait a minute, one hundred and that's a good point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because even just real quick with because I still have Max and yeah, it'll it'll tell me, oh, your renewal is coming up. But yeah, something like Amazon, it'll be after the fact, right.
Speaker 2: And I will get the email, the courtesy email for Apple TV for all my subscription services saying you were just bill for such and such and such for a month of whatever, and I get that, but there are certain services. Now you may not be a boxing fan, but there is a boxing streaming service called Days and da z N.
Speaker 4: And it's the company of.
Speaker 2: Alvarez Carmelo alvil Alvarez boxer, and it will bill you. Put it this way, if you sign up to watch a fight, it automatically signs you up for their service. So you'll pay like the sixty nine ninety nine or more for the fight, but then in the fine print, you're auto billed. I will say maybe twenty three dollars a month because it offers other content. But the whole point is you only wanted that one fight, but you're signing up unbeknownst to you, unless you're really paying attention, you're signing up for their streaming service in perpetuity, and then they will bill you in perpetuity. If it did not take me four hours to find out how to cancel that service, because depending on if you did it through your TV, depending on if you did it online, it is really really difficult. I had to cuss out a lot of people, a lot I was cussing that day had to cuss out a lot of people to get rid of.
Speaker 4: Dason, and I think that's how they pronounce it.
Speaker 7: You're talking about the fights that just happened with uh Canelo, Alva Roberts.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: If you just signed up for that fight, you automatically without if you don't read the fine print, you're automatically signed up for that service.
Speaker 8: Yes, one hundred percent. A lot of sites like that too, They supprew you over. That doesn't even make legal sense. We'll see they're skirting the law. And it's in the fine print if you go back and look, I mean it's really really tiny and in your signing because you can't get the fight without signing up for the service. It's not like you had the option I only want the fight. No, it's a packaged deal.
Speaker 6: You have to say, you have to check the box for the I agree to the terms of condition, and in that extremely fine print is oh, and we'll rebuild you in thirty days.
Speaker 2: I just want to see the one Canado Alvarez fight. And then I was getting built in perpetuity because I was looking at my statement. It's like, wait a minute, and it's not called daison on your credit card statement, So it's like I can't I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't clear what it was and so you couldn't easily trace it back to what you originally paid for. So it doesn't say you've been had dot com Well no, but did you figure it out very quickly? It's like you've been robbed m.
Speaker 7: Yeah, does this work with gym membership subscriptions if you sign up online? Like say, you know you get that new gym membership subscription online? Because I know this is primarily for online subscriptions, but does it help with all of that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: From what I can glean, it's only for that which you sign up for online because the click to counsel, click to cancel is depended upon you having signed up online, or at least there's an online function.
Speaker 4: Now I don't know.
Speaker 2: And I try to keep strict tabs on my money going out each month for that reason, because you always have these hidden subscriptions that are just everywhere.
Speaker 5: A bunch of OnlyFans accounts that you subscribe to. Those two let me tell you, trying to get out of a membership with La Fitness is harder than I would imagine getting out of the mafia would be.
Speaker 2: Look, I used to have a Bally subscription back in the day it was ballets, and those contracts were criminal. They would sign you up for years. You didn't even realize it. The way they would try to sell you is like, oh, yeah, it's only be nineteen ninety nine from a month, but they don't.
Speaker 4: Tell you.
Speaker 2: Have to pay for three years. Couldn't get out of it, and then they would ruin your credit. Had to learn the hard way. So you're not buying like a nineteen ninety nine gym membership back then, you're basically making a three thousand dollars purchase three years.
Speaker 7: Foosh, weren't you selling those memberships? Aren't you a part of that gym? Don't you be quiet over there?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you were part of that gym. Weren't you?
Speaker 6: Weren't you selling those memberships? I think I'd have a lot more money right now if I did?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, Just answer the question yes or no.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: You didn't work at Bally's. No, which gym were you at? I actually used to go to Planet Fitness. Well they're cheap, yeah, super cheap?
Speaker 4: Are they still ten dollars?
Speaker 6: A month, and yeah, I think actually, no, I think they also raise their prices. I think they're like eleven or twelve bucks a month. Yeah, that's a lot. One dollar for the first month, get you in the door. I could handle ten eleven dollars a month. But they auto built. When I was at La Fitness, they auto built.
Speaker 4: Yeah they did. Yeah, they all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, this is a good thing that the governor has done. I support this. No, I'm all for the out of get me out of a bunch of both subscriptions.
Speaker 2: I don't want people taking any of my money without my knowledge and consent. And just because I got drunk one night and I wanted the Canelo Alvarez fight, it doesn't mean I need to pay for a streaming service and perpetuity after that.
Speaker 4: And that's what they're banking on.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're trying to get a fight for fight night, yeah you'll get the fight. You've probably had a few pops, you know, you might not be in your right mind, and then three months later you realize, hey, money keeps leaving your account.
Speaker 4: What's up with that. It's like having a wife or something. Just money disappearing. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I say stuff like that to see if it comes back to me at home, you see, if my wife will tell us, did you make.
Speaker 4: A joke the other night talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, I know you don't listen to my show, baby, so someone must have told you about that and they're incorrect. No, no, no, no, I would never say anything like that.
Speaker 4: Never.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly k IF I Am six forty Were Life Everywhere, the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Gotta tell you some very cool stuff tomorrow night. Tomorrow night, we will start giving way passes to our exclusive pre Halloween. Soare at the Honda Studios at iHeartMedia, you and a guest, and all you need to do is make it through on name that movie called Classic.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be serious tomorrow night. It will be no more delays.
Speaker 2: Were just giving out passes, Yes, you and a guest to the best party, probably that cafe I've ever seen. I don't want to make any grand you know, predictions, but probably.
Speaker 7: Now are we going to open this up and make it possible for individuals who have won before to call in and win, because you know, we try our best to make sure that we're allowing new people to win. But we've got a lot of people who've been listening for a long time. Well we've already been, you know, chomping at the bed. We could do week by week.
Speaker 2: In other words, we could say the first week people who haven't won anything.
Speaker 4: Oh, we could do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying we will, but we just got to make sure that we get all our peoples.
Speaker 4: In the house.
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, Wait a minute. So this isn't a small little party here in the studio.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a studio artist upwards of maybe one hundred hundred and fifty people.
Speaker 4: Oh that big.
Speaker 7: So this is a This is a shin dig.
Speaker 2: Yes is a party, Yes, with food and beverage and hopefully some topless dancers. Hopefully. I can't guarantee that. I just still get that cleared with corporate mark and secure the talent. Okay, I'm not dancing topless. I don't care how many dollar bills or the talent.
Speaker 4: Not be the talent Okay, not your I said.
Speaker 2: Secure Okay, clarification things right, So you're gonna have to go through your yod and hire some talent. Just don't take him across state lines. That's all I ask. End up like Diddy.
Speaker 4: I wait, I earned that one, thank you very much. But that starts tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: We will be giving away passes will put you on the list to the most exclusive party. We'll have some very special guests in the house. I don't know, maybe some KFI talent may want to roll through as well. But it's going to be the party for Halloween. Oh and yes, it's going to be costume. Yes, absolutely, yes, absolutely, I'm going to be in costume. Mark is going to be probably not dressed up. Twalla is going to be in costume. Sefan don't know. We'll try to encourage him and you coming to the party will be in costume. Oh, it is going to be the thing October thirtieth here at the Honda Studios what we call the fifth floor Honda Studios. iHeartMedia also got to let you know it's Halloween time at the Disneyland Resort and KFI AM six forty wants to give you a chance to experience the frightful fun. A Happiest Halloween has brought fiendishly tasty treats Thrills for One and All and Booty for Decor to both Disneyland excuse me, Disney California Venture Park and Disneyland Park going on now through Halloween, October thirty. First, keep listening to KFI and later with mo Kelly for your chance to win a four pack of one day one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. Keep listening specifically to Later with mon Kelly hen Hint for your chance to win a four pack of one day one park tickets to the Disneyland Resort. You know twa, I'm just such such a giving mood. I just want to give away more stuff. Is there anything else we can give away?
Speaker 4: Oh? What about?
Speaker 7: And I don't know if it's possible. I know Gary and Shannon are supposed to be broadcasting from the Pacific Air Show of Hunting Beach.
Speaker 4: Oh that's coming up, that's coming up next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's October fourth through October sixth Yes, I mean I've been to it.
Speaker 4: That is so cool.
Speaker 2: Let me let me see if I can just text my boss real quick and see if we can get a four pack to give away like next segment, No pressure, Robin Burch, Luci Robin can we give away a four pack for the Pacific Air Show, which is coming up next week in Huntington Beach.
Speaker 4: Hit me back because I'm getting ready to give it away. Maybe next segment.
Speaker 2: When I talked to the executive director Kevin Elliott, and I would like to be able to give away a four pack.
Speaker 4: Well, this message is too long. Let me just hit Sam.
Speaker 2: So if she hits me back in the next minute and a half, hopefully we'll have permission to do that giveaway.
Speaker 4: He actually set that message. Yeah, I love hearing Nick. It's all real.
Speaker 2: It's all real, And even though Robin's on vacation, she'll stop and drop whatever she's doing to respond to me, so it'll be okay.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mark, you can really cut the suspense with a knife.
Speaker 5: Huh Oh, wait for Hed to hit me back. Yeah, yes, I am too. Yeah, I can't wait to hear what she says.
Speaker 2: Pacific Air Show is next week October fourth through October sixth, and we're hopefully going to give away a four pack four pack for the Pacific Air Show in Huntington Beach. If you haven't been, it is fan fantastic, it's absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 4: You have civilian aircraft.
Speaker 2: You have military aircraft activities going on the ground, fun and games for everyone.
Speaker 4: And Huntington Beach is just beautiful.
Speaker 8: Up.
Speaker 4: She just hit me back.
Speaker 2: I'm I think your show is absolutely wonderful. You're doing a great job tonight. Okay, I'm just saying da da da YadA yadayah blah blah. Yes, we got a four pack to give away. So when we come back, I'll be joined on the show by Kevin Elliott, Pacific Air Show executive Director, and we'll give away a four pack.
Speaker 4: But you know what that means.
Speaker 2: You have to listen. Moe, Kelly, Swalla, Sharp, Mark Ronner, Stephen, whatever your name is.
Speaker 4: I was waiting for that. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: We're not just in smart speakers, We're in a couple of smart ears as well.
Speaker 4: K f I, KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County live everywhere on the radio.