Speaker 1: Golf Smarter number three hundred eighty eight, published on June eleven, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Golf Smarter Mulligans, your second chance to gain insight and advice from the best instructors featured on the Golf Smarter podcast. Great Golf Instruction Never gets old. Our interview library features hundreds of hours of game improvement conversations like this that are no longer available in any podcast app.
Speaker 3: I really don't think there's anything negative about endpoint is. I don't think there's anything negative about vector. I just find as a coach, as an instructor, I can get the essentials of my experience of how to become more efficient and more effective at performance through vector and that's what appealed to me. After I went to the seminar, I found wait a minute, and this started to ruminate within me.
Speaker 4: Like Okay, what did I experience here?
Speaker 3: And then one day I was asked to give a clinic and I go, how do I do this? And that's what I came up with STAG, which was my acronym for helping people get better at golf through my clinic or through basic instructing. And the overview applies to everybody. The actual application in certain areas will be more applicable to others. Staggers is much about behavior and vector green reading, but it's about different behaviors that are involved and becoming sufficient the actual application of putting now practicing it also works too because it gives you a behavioral background on which too, how do I work on my putty on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: That putt was supposed to break to the left vector putting with John Grunt.
Speaker 2: This is Golf Smarter, sharing tips and insights from golfers and golf professionals to help flower your score. It's worked for your host, Fred Green.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Golf Smarter Podcast.
Speaker 4: John Oh, thanks Fred, good to be here, and thank you.
Speaker 1: So much for coming into the studio to have this conversation because it would have been just as easy to go walking around on the golf course. But well not today, because there's people out there playing okay, and we could probably maybe we'll do some video out there at some point.
Speaker 4: That'd be great, some Golf Smarter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some video tips there.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to bring you in and the reason I asked you to come in today is because I had mentioned recently that you had taken me aside and given me some lessons on vector putting. And we had done a lot recently about aimpoint putting. And when I told you about that, you said, now I got to show you this. I gotta show you this.
Speaker 5: You got all excited about wanting to show me this.
Speaker 1: So that's really where I want to talk about today, is the putting. But there's so many other topics that are so hot right now that I don't know if I want to do this now or we'll get in it later. But I think everyone's like, no, no, no, I don't want to know about the news.
Speaker 5: Well let's talk about putting.
Speaker 4: So explain to me.
Speaker 5: Is it called vector putting?
Speaker 4: Is that how we can.
Speaker 1: Refer to it and everyone would know what we're talking about?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay. There was a kernel in the Air Force.
Speaker 3: I believe his name is mister Templeton, Colonel Templeton, and he was also a very very bright man, is often the case for some of those gentlemen. He was one of the early pioneers in Nassau flying I believe planes at higher elevations at supersonic speeds, and was involved in that process on many levels. Also an Avid golfer, and upon retirement discovered, you know, people just you know, if you look at the numbers, thirty two thirty six putts is an acceptable amount and you're par seventy two.
Speaker 4: Gosh, that's that's fifty percent of the game.
Speaker 3: If we go by what you know is allowable in golf, right and thirty six pots, et cetera, fourteen t shots.
Speaker 4: And he thought people do this pretty badly.
Speaker 3: Why And one of the things he thought was that people just don't read greens very effectively. So he felt that based on his mathematical background and probably trying to figure out how a spaceship is going to go from one place to another and amount of time it's going to take, a matter of friction involved all the things that are involved in space travel and travel in general. What about a golf ball traveling across the green? Couldn't there be some mathematical equation to that?
Speaker 1: And that's not very dissimilar to what aim point exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, I don't know how this all pans out in the world, but I think there's a lot of similarities on the mathematical side. I can't speak for am point, but my guessing is is There's probably a lot of similarities on the science side of aim point and vector green reading, and I think both are fine. The important thing that I've learned as an instructor is to be functional, and I want my students and the people that come to me, and not only them, but myself because I try.
Speaker 4: I'm usually my biggest guinea pig is.
Speaker 3: What are the things that make us better? What are the things that we're involved in? And both aim point and vector green reading do this. The vector I found was more functional in that it simplified things dramatically and gave a clearer picture of application for the individual to apply and move forward in his game and be involved in some basic fundamental areas which all good putters are when they're involved in the process of putting effectively.
Speaker 1: You and I spent half hour right on a putting green at best. I mean, you just wanted to show it to me, and I was trying to absorb as much as I possibly could. But I got to tell you, the impact that it had on my next few rounds was significant, right, And I don't want to just say then I've forgotten. It's all done, and I'm still incorporating it. Into every green I walk on. But I definitely saw huge improvement immediately.
Speaker 4: I love to hear. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like, is it that simple?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Because if I got it, it's got to be simple.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Fred I, I always enjoy sitting talking with you, But now that I'm in your layer, so to speak, in your in your studio, I notice your vast book collection. And I just sat down a book where a very famous instructor said that Matt Kocher and five swings picked up something and became the leading money when on the PGA tour right after that took them five swings. So sometimes things that are complicated that can be made simple and attainable can be very effective and be life impacting or game impacting in this point.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, I mean I think.
Speaker 3: I've tried to break it down in my way even more functional because I'm more of a behaviorist. I'm a believer that the vector putting was a simple The behavior side of it was easier to apply while I was playing golf, and and that's why I think you got out of that thirty minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think it helped you.
Speaker 3: And I hope when I show people what I do in a small clinic and or show them as an aside in thirty minutes one on one or whatever. They walk away and they have some similar profound experiences like you did. I've fortunately, I've been a pretty good putter most of my life. I say fortunate in that most fortunate behavior is who was the There was a Raymond Berry was a famous wide receiver. I think one of his quotes was, when opportunity meets preparation, that's the true definition of luck. So I say I'm I'm fortunate in the fact that I worked really hard as a youngster and throughout my golf career to spend more time on the putting green, or a lot of time around the green and the putting green. And so maybe my my good fortune was a little bit of effort.
Speaker 4: On my part.
Speaker 3: And it's usually the case, you know, you have to work pretty hard. But I started, I didn't know what I was doing. I was fortunate to be around. I thought that it was all about mechanics, but it was a culmination of the people that I was associated with in my life that were good players, and watching what they do and sort of picking up on their behavior and the things that they do were really important as maybe as important as the mechanics, because really, and as I showed you, mechanics are all about one simple fact. And if you're doing that, then your mechanics are adequate. I'm not going to say they're the best, but they're adequate, which we'll talk about.
Speaker 4: Here in a minute.
Speaker 3: But if you're doing if you're performing a simple function of geometry and physics, and we can see what happens when the golf ball, then you're on the right track mechanically. So I think mechanics can be a little overtaught when it comes to putting, but what is undertaught is the behavior that is involved in becoming very proficient at putting.
Speaker 5: Now you really got me.
Speaker 1: I want to I want to get into this behavior part.
Speaker 5: What did you witness? What did you see?
Speaker 1: Because you, you and I were we chatted for over an hour before we started recording, and you were telling me stories about when you were caddying as a kid and you would count the posts on the on the metal fence and you would know exactly what your distance was based on where the ball was near that fence. I mean, you were figuring things out early. But what were the behavioral things that you were noticing that made impact.
Speaker 3: Well, I noticed that that that's better. Putters practiced more, and not necessarily at long a long time, but they had a routine that they followed, so that.
Speaker 6: A practice routine or a practice preshot routine, a practice routine, and so that they would usually practice before they played on the putting green, and they'd spend a few minutes after the round on the putting green.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, yeah, Why why is that important?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I think that that at a certain level there is a mind body connection to what you're trying to do. And we realize that all putting services aren't the same, and so there's a cult.
Speaker 4: There's a variety of reasons.
Speaker 3: Like when I played professionally overseas or when I was playing on tour, that was a common behavior among the guys that were scoring lower.
Speaker 4: I go, oh, okay, that's what I've always done.
Speaker 3: But why you know, and well, you know, one of the things is we would I when I always say playing in Canada, for example, we would play one week, say in.
Speaker 4: Surrel outside of.
Speaker 3: Quebec, and the greens would be you'd have eight different speeds on eight sixteen. You know, eighteen different greens.
Speaker 4: Really, Yeah, it's just the way the green is that.
Speaker 3: Possibly I would like to know that too, you know, I would try to figure this out. Maybe greens were watered differently on certain holes, or maybe the grass would grow at you know, grain was growing differently on certain holes.
Speaker 1: I used to ask all the time. So, if I'm going to practice on the putting green, is this pretty much representative?
Speaker 3: Well at the rest of the course the mine. I'm in a provincial area of Canada that does not.
Speaker 1: We mowed the grass with the same equipment, and we watered the same way and it's all maintained, right, Yeah, of course it can be the same.
Speaker 3: But and I think as a standard and we're talking early eighties here now mid eighties, and I played in Africa too, and you'd think that. But in more provincial areas where you know, maybe the mowers weren't set at the right place. All mowers aren't set at the right right you know, So one guy in the front nine, he's doing six holes on the guy doing those six holes that may not quite be quite set the same way, and you know, maybe they have different growing conditions on different greens with less shade and more shade and so now and I you know, I spent a long time in my other part of my life working with superintendents in the yardage business, the golf course measurement and graphic business.
Speaker 4: And I learned that right now.
Speaker 1: You're going to make me do this, give it a brief. You got to share with people what it is briefly because they know who you are.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, they don't know who you.
Speaker 4: Are, okay.
Speaker 3: Well, I was playing professional golf in the early eighties and I was very good early at taking notes at playing.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't hit it as far.
Speaker 3: I didn't do a lot of things, but I felt that being organized, even though I wasn't. My brothers were better boy Scouts than me, but I felt that being prepared was a big part of the equation. I was a John Wooden fan growing up, being a UCLA guy. Again, the behavioral aspect is huge, and.
Speaker 5: That is all pre GPS pre.
Speaker 3: GPS and you know, my day, in my day growing up, it was pretty much, you know, a cypress tree at one point fifty or a plaque in the fairway maybe, And so what did you do? I just got well, because what happened was I started making yardage books and then for my other mini tour players to support myself while I was playing many tours, and out of that became one of the common denominators, which is legal in the rules of golf, is a sprinklerhead is a static point. So it's okay that that is that. Everybody knows what the number is. It's not a secret. So you and I can talk about the yardage from that sprinkler head. I may not ask you what club you hit, because that's completely different, really different. But we can things that are common knowledge, like a tree or a rock or a sprinkler head. And so what happened in the early days, and this goes back a little bit, but in the early early days of yardage, there was a caddy for Jack Nicholas, who actually I think started cattying for Palmer first, but he was good at graphics.
Speaker 4: His name was Gorgeous George. He had a graphic background.
Speaker 3: He started making yardage books for tour players, and those are pretty common when I first started playing in the early eighties as a professional. But he took a lot of yardages from sprinkler heads. What pros would do later, they'd go out and they'd get name plates and they'd drill them or screw them onto these sprinkler heads for yardage. And when I came along in the mid eighties looking to make doing yardage books, the company at the time was very big in golf started PGA Wes some mother fides called Landmark Land Company asked me to do a yardage book for the tour finals in nineteen eighty seven. And I was doing this yardage book and he said, oh, by the way, and this is at PGA West, all my little riveted tags have fallen off my sprinklerhead.
Speaker 4: Can you help me out?
Speaker 3: And I at that point any sort of money come in my way was a bonus, and so I said, okay, I'll figure something out. And at that point I started figuring out sprinkler markers and how to attach them to sprinkler heads. And so the issues are being cost efficient, being visible and.
Speaker 4: Can they last?
Speaker 3: And you know, so I did that and quickly that led into a business for the which I just sold after twenty six years called grun Guide manufacturing sprinkler markers for golf courses. Awesome, so Braill Brifley, So I've measured golf courses for years and years and years, using a variety of different ways of doing it, laser technology, GPS and all sorts of things. And so I've been involved in the irrigation and the maintenance and with superintendents. So my discussion to the superintendents about greens maintenance and that thing is always fascinating me, and it has led. And I've always taught during this time too, pretty much. So I've always coached.
Speaker 1: All right, John, behavior, let's get back to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So ultimately that you know, my background has been about a lot about about things that are maybe not so obvious to golfers. And a lot of my time was spent in the presence of some really great golfers. And I was fortunate to have just enough game to kind of be let in the room, so to speak. Maybe not long enough time, but enough time that I can still call friends and acquaintances, guys that are still playing professionally and women still playing professionally. Having I had a coaching stint in college at my alma mater, UCLA, and and that experience along with and I did some other fortunate too, in that I grew up in southern California or just California in general, which is sort of.
Speaker 4: Especially as a younger man. It's probably still today.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of really talented people at teaching that had some wonderful successful experience at golf. So, you know, one of my first lessons was from Jerry Barber. And to say, at fourteen, and this is in the early seventies, this man was only ten or so years away from being a leading money winner on the PGA now maybe a Varden Trophy winner on the PGA Tour, multiple winner on the PGA Tour, winner of a major on the PGA Tour. And to be able to call him up and say, hey, mister Barber, can you give me a golf lesson?
Speaker 4: Or to go to oh gosh, Little Poison. Paul Runyon.
Speaker 3: I took several lessons from mister Runyon, another short game specialist guy, although he taught the long game too, and he produced. You know, there's a lot of great guys that were had a relationship.
Speaker 4: So I had this experience.
Speaker 3: Of being with people that that not only walked the walk, but talked to talk. They did what they preached that they they experienced at firsthand at a high level, and I sought them out just because that's the way I was, you know, and maybe to my detriment sometimes, uh, you know, but because you can't do everything.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: But I look back on it now and and and it was uh, I think it was worth my while.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So now, how does that bring us back to vector putting and what you've learned to teach us vectory?
Speaker 3: Because you know, I I I first came across aim point through some very smart people and watch some guys on tour performing it, mostly the caddies, the the the h. In the beginning, it seemed like aame point was h. The pros would be just they would know just enough to be dangerous, but their caddies were a little better and and and uh, which is okay when you have that relationship with a caddy and you trust and everything else. But I took some time looking at the aim point and I found it for myself to be a little bit more complicated that I wanted to deal with. I didn't find it to be insufficient. I just found it to be a little bit more complicated. And I was approached by a gentleman that was involved in vector punting, went to a seminar, and I found the similarities quite striking.
Speaker 4: Striking, but I found and.
Speaker 1: I appreciate how gracious you're being about not saying anything negative about aim point, But I know, I.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't think there is. I really don't think there's anything negative about am point is. I don't think there's anything negative about vector greene. I just find as a coach, as an instructor, I can get the essentials of my experience of how to become more efficient and more effective at performance through vector Okay, And that's what appealed to me. After I went to the seminar, I found Wait a minute, and this started to ruminate within me, like Okay.
Speaker 4: What did I experience here? What just happened? Wait a minute?
Speaker 3: And then I and then one day I was asked to give a clinic, and I go, how do I do this? And that's what I came up with STAG, which was my acronym for basically helping people get better at golf through through my clinic or through basic constructing. And the overview applies to everybody. The actual application in certain areas will be more applicable to others some people. STAG is more of a as much about behavior and vector green reading as, but it's about different behaviors.
Speaker 4: That are involved in becoming becoming sufficient.
Speaker 3: At the actual application of putting now practicing. It also works too because it gives you a behavioral background on which to how do I work on my putting on a daily basis? And some days certain aspect applications of STAG may be more important than others, but they all apply, and they are all basically, you know, four basic areas of putting that are essential to becoming a better pus.
Speaker 1: What STAG is, Yeah, that's what I'm I'm guessing that STAG is an acronym absolutely, okay. Yeah, and it stands for speed two.
Speaker 4: Feet and straight, aim and green reading.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's speed two feet two feet and straight and straight okay, and then aim and green reading. Right, all right, let's start it speed. I'm gonna break this down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, and so so speed really is And you know, it's funny. I I was always a pretty effective putter, but I've I've sometimes surprisingly longer distance.
Speaker 4: Uh, struggled with my speed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone does.
Speaker 3: And I've spent again, I've spent. I was fortunate to spend some time and still do. I can call him an acquaintance and maybe even a friend I named doctor Craig Farnsworth. He's an optometrist that teaches putting instructing and if.
Speaker 4: You ever he he's a name point instructor, and he's an ame point instructor.
Speaker 3: But he's also very smart man, and and he's on an automical down autometrist down at the poem right And one of my one of my main as an overall instructor, one of my main approaches to every lesson, and I almost especially with almost every student, I tell him right up front, I said, the quality of relationship you build to your target is almost always directly proportioned to the quality of golf shot you hit. Say that again, the quality of the relationship you developed to your target is almost always proportionate to the quality of golf shot you're going to hit.
Speaker 5: Okay, exciting.
Speaker 3: What you mean by that, Well, you know, it has a little bit of my background as a golf guy that measured golf courses, but it's also a little bit of what I found that I did to become a better player. Like I said, as a kid, I measured the posts that were located along the fairways and what the distance was between each post, and I could tell after a while that if things were level and the actual if I could see a post at that distance and look at the post left to me, that that decrease in distance going away from me measured one hundred yards one hundred and eighty yards, two hundred yards, and I could count the post and say, oh, that is two hundred yards.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 3: I'm building myself a better relationship when I notice where the pin is in the green, and what the colors of the trees are around the green, and where that bunker is. Like there's some great course designers that try to trick you a little bit. They'll put bunkers, say thirty forty yards in front of the green, and so when you look at the flag, you see just the top of it and you think, oh, that green's way far away from me, or that's greens just over the bunker, right, But it's really not.
Speaker 4: It's an extra forty yards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were talking about that, and we were talking about the course Peacock Gap right here in Marien County and on number ten eleven twelve, the par five, there are these bunkers that are kind of blocking the green, but it looks like it's you know, if you're coming in our long approach shot, but what you don't realize that there's probably fifteen to twenty yards between the bunker and the green, and that's very Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a famous a golf architect. I think it was Aw.
Speaker 4: Tillian Hast Tillingham Till Tillian Hast. I think it's Aw, but I could be wrong on that.
Speaker 3: Butter Tillian has designed several golf courses and a lot of them are some tremendous golf courses. He grew up in I think a part of Scotland and he was the greens keeper originally at a very famous course.
Speaker 4: I think it was. I don't think it's Royal County down but anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he it is Aw tilling.
Speaker 3: Hasty and anyway, he's very famous for putting these bunkers out in front of greens. And so this visual perception, in my opinion, really enhances your ability to hit a good golf shot because our brain is an amazing effective machine.
Speaker 1: Speak for yourself, okay exactly.
Speaker 3: But but when we try to override it, we sometimes get in the way. Golf is notorious for that, correct, So so when I build that better relationship to the target. I'm programming my brain in a way to act in a more efficient way.
Speaker 1: So familiarity of the golf course is key to this. Well, not only familiarity, but familiarity with the moment. Explain that, Well, you know, I may have driven, you know, you may have played your home course one hundred times, two hundred times, three hundred times.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: Y'all a sudden you're faced with a golf shot. And the golf shot requires not the familiarity to the whole golf course shot, but the whole golf course, but that golf shot. So in this moment, what am I capable of doing?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: You know, when you break it down into every golf shot has an essential like there's several elements. What are the actual elements of this shot that the pragmatic issues like distance like uphill, downhill, and those things are very straightforward. But the things that aren't so obvious is how do I get my body to adapt to this moment to hit this golf shot? And how do I get more in tune with what the actual yardage is? Is it slightly uphills, it slightly downhill? Do I really know that? Do I feel that. Am I sensing that? Am my programming that into this shot? And if I can really see that and feel that in a more real way, like I see that like for example, some flags are higher than others. You know, most flags round about seven feet, I think, but some courses they might be a little different. So we're tricked, right, We're tricked. If I have more efficient information on how to make my shot, you know, then I'm like you mentioned, Oh, if he would just give me the pin placement on that grain, then I can hit a better shot, you know. So that helps me make a better decision about what my shot. Because when I'm a as a golf pro and my caddying and I are standing there looking at our yardage book, we're we're looking at numbers saying, the first thing we do is get rid of the worst shot. So what club or what shot approach here? What approach to the shot eliminates the highest penalty for failure because it's not about how many great shots I had in around a golf It's more about efficient shots, you see what I'm saying. So if I have good information, which is a good yardage, and I can feel that and apply that to the moment, then I'm more more efficient at producing what I need to do in that moment. It's not a question of knowing where the course is and I like that area, but and and and if I do that effectively time and time again, I get better results. Which brings us back to the with the stag And that's what speed is a good way of that. If I can if I can understand the speed of this green, if I understand the speed of this this green in particular, which generally today is pretty similar with all golf courses.
Speaker 4: But you know, where am I uphill or my downhill? Am I on a side hill? You know? Do I have grain working against me? What's my friction going to be? You know?
Speaker 5: Wind?
Speaker 3: Wind can be a factor sometimes usually pretty strong one to do that, but yeah, it can be a factor. Subtle ones can just be a factor in my stability.
Speaker 4: To hit the putt.
Speaker 1: Time of the day when because the condition of the green is radically different than right.
Speaker 3: Especial especially on Bermuda greens where you have grain. You know, later in the afternoon you've got a little more grain than you maybe had in the morning. Big factor, right, And so all these things are important in the speed and the friction that. So speed is one of those things of building a better relationship to the target, and stagging itself is just building that better relationship to the target and how I do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've gotten through the S and STAG. We've got TAG left, but we're out of time. So what we're going to do? Can you stick around?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're going to do a members only episode. We'll pick it up at tea okay for Stag and we'll we'll talk in more depth and I'm going to pick it apart as best I can with you and we'll do the rest there. So we will continue the conversation with John Grunn on the upcoming episode.
Speaker 5: John, I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Yes,