Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Members of the NTSB started a couple of days of hearings today as they try to get more information about the circumstances that led to the door plug blowout on a seven thirty seven Max earlier this year. Among those expected to appear at these hearings Elizabeth Lund, the Boeing senior executive that oversees quality in the commercial airplane division, and also Terry George, one of the top executives with Spirit Arrow Systems, which is the supplier responsible for manufacturing that fuselage that was involved in the accident.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got a fire update here in San Bernardino County. Temps of course not slowing down today. This is a fire that grew to fifty four acres seventy five percent contained. That's a good number, that's a great containment number. That means they've basically shut this thing down.
Speaker 2: And there were what I'm amazed at is the way this thing exploded yesterday that we were going to be talking about it a lot more today. But quick work, especially considering as one hundred and nine degrees I think at two forty when the fire was. When the fire started, there were homes that were destroyed. A family's dogs were killed in this fire. One person taken into custody but was later released. So at this point they're saying they don't know exactly what did cause the fire. Of course, the biggest fire in the state continues to be the Park fire up in northern California. Started in Chico and then grew north from there four hundred and fourteen thousand acres right now four hundred and fourteen thousand acres and is thirty four percent contained. The biggest concern right now up there is an area that is just west of where Highways thirty two and thirty six come together. They said that that is where most of the active fire is and they're concerned about people who live in that area.
Speaker 1: So I am really conflicted, and we're going to talk about it later. Super conflicted. Over the viral gymnastics podium picture. At first, I thought, wow, that's nice women power lifting each other up right, that's celebrating, celebrating each other. The picture is of Simone Biles and Jordan Chile's and they are kind of like bowing down to the gold medalist Rebecca and rage from that.
Speaker 2: You gave her a very exotic name.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard it out, yeld it's child's okay, well whatever, So there Jacob in there, he's like women's gymnastics and women's volleyball guru.
Speaker 3: He's obsessed with all the women's sports.
Speaker 1: He's like, I can't believe the Chinese women lost the volleyball match.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it. They're the best. I'm like, what are you talking about? This is a weird I.
Speaker 2: Think he dumped it said, that's how No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: It's just a weird hill for him to die on. Like he's so serious.
Speaker 1: It's such a stickler, like he would hit up the talk back feature probably and correct me on that hill that he's dying on with women's sports.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: So it's a picture of the two Americans bowing down to the Brazilian gold medallist, and I feel like it's nice, and then my competitive streak that runs down to my bones gets really upset, like as a competitor.
Speaker 3: You lost, and that it drives me insane.
Speaker 2: It goes back to it goes back to the shores. He cut that I played a couple of weeks ago, which is not that he likes to win. He doesn't hate to lose, yes, like you should hate to lose, yes more than you like to win.
Speaker 1: I forget which NFL player wrote something to the effect of this is absolutely disgusting. I'm not there, but I am at a place of I'm a super competitor, which is terrible because I've never been good at anything in my life. But I very would much like to hate to lose at that level.
Speaker 2: I don't care because I think there's an assumption that these people hate each other, and there's so especially in a world like gymnastics, they see each other all the time.
Speaker 3: It's true at all the competitions.
Speaker 2: All the time, and many of them, even if they're competing for Brazil or Norway or Portugal, they train in the United States, a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Let me pose it to you this way.
Speaker 1: Okay, say there's a competition at KFI for the best talk show and you and I came in third. Okay, There's there's Conway at the top, and then there's John and then there's us. And I would never bow down to those guys for beating me in that competition, like that's would you?
Speaker 3: Would you do this to Conway and John?
Speaker 2: You you have to hate to lose?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that Yes, thank you. I'm glad I got you on my side. But you went into it not caring, and now I made you care. They not like us, They not like us.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, I mean, in a situation like that where they are fred, I don't know. I mean, they may not.
Speaker 1: We're friends. We're friends with Conway and John. I'm not bowing down to them for beating me in any sort of competition. That's never going to happen. Get out of here. You can, you can, you can champion what other people do. You can appreciate it, you can respect it.
Speaker 3: Just beat me. I'm not going to do that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I know it's a weirdhill to die on. I'm like Jacob, now, chilas.
Speaker 3: Chils listen, I've been doing a lot of babble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's starting all right. Up next that iconic Marilyn Monroe statue in Palm Springs. They're gonna move it.
Speaker 3: We'll continue, uh cogazone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see that meme that Jacob sent me. Imagine the Olympics, but instead of it being world class athletes, just random people who just get selected, Like you get a letter informing you've you've been selected for the national gymnastics team, and you just have to do it. It'd be so much more entertaining. And that cracked me up. And then when I saw the warning from doctors yesterday was a headline that you should not try the gymnastics moves you see at the Olympics on your own, and I thought to myself, Darwinism. If you want to try a floor routine and you break your neck, that's because you're a dumb ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, double layout all by yourself and then your neck. Just yes, they make it look easy.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: Well, you were talking about putting out some masking tape out here and doing a little.
Speaker 3: Balance a dumb ass.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't count. We were talking earlier about the cookya, the cocaine that blew on shore during the Hurricane Debbie when it made landfall in Florida, and.
Speaker 4: Shannon, I love you guys.
Speaker 2: Period poverty, mastrating youth.
Speaker 4: Shannon, you are so right. I have two sons. They would be throwing those things at each other. Now. Picture an entire gym class. Oh my gosh, have a great.
Speaker 1: Day, guys.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gary and Shannon. The fact that Shannon has put that much thought into how teenage boys would torture each other with female products makes me real glad that Shannon was not born a guy, because that's without even thinking. If she had time to put thought into it, it would be bad. Take care bye.
Speaker 2: There was another guy who the talkback that said that he would take a pound.
Speaker 3: He would take a pound of the coke? Awesome?
Speaker 2: Did he wants to do some sort of a dead drop somewhere?
Speaker 1: And so all right, Well, I've got seven sixty nine more pounds to go.
Speaker 2: How much you charge it per pound?
Speaker 3: I don't know how many thousands.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it was seventy pounds, was worth about a million bucks.
Speaker 3: Let me look it up, but I'm not going to try.
Speaker 1: I'd probably break it down into lesser quantities than pounds. I mean, how often you're gonna get somebody gonna buy a pound of cocaine.
Speaker 2: They're a little gonna blow you away. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: It's not that that's like real drug cartel stuff. I do not if you were to buy some blow off me, it would probably be not even register on a scale. Probably, I don't know how much he would do. I don't know how much it would take for you.
Speaker 2: It takes, I don't know. That's the gigant. Marilyn Monroe statue and Palm Springs is moving. It's not disappearing. But the twenty six foot tall commemoration of Marilyn Monroe from the seven year itch where her skirt is blowing up has drawn the ire of locals and visiting critics alike since it showed up again in twenty twenty one. Why would anybody, Why would anybody get exercised about something like it?
Speaker 1: Kind of an eye sore for me. It just looks kind of kitchy, right, it's tacky and it's spring, but it's Palm Springs. But this is the knock. They say it's sexist. Okay, uh okay.
Speaker 2: One of the issues also is that the way it currently sits or stands, I suppose in the middle of downtown park there and Palm Springs means that she's facing a way from the Palm Springs Heart Museum.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And when you face away from something, do you know what you're showing? The people back there?
Speaker 1: So I'm not familiar with the seven year itch? Is that an anti gay type of a situation?
Speaker 2: What the movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's it about?
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: The last thing I googled it how much is a pound of cocaine costs?
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's look at I assume it's the old trope of after seven years of marriage, you get itchy for an affair. I don't know. I'm gonna tell you, I'm not a huge nineteen fifty five American cinema.
Speaker 1: In the midst of a summer heat wave, New Yorker Richard ships his wife, Helen, and their son off to Maine for a vacation. Left alone to work back in Manhattan, he encounters a gorgeous blonde model, Marilyn, who has moved into the apartment upstairs, and becomes immediately infatuated. While pondering infidelity, Richard dreams of his beautiful new neighbor, but will his fantasies about her become a reality. I didn't know if it was one of those things where, you know, one of those movies where somebody dress and drag or something, because one of the critics said, one of the critics said this, they described the return of the statue as an anti queer slur lifted high onto a civic pedestal in one of America's least likely places.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would. Maybe someone's reading into the hole. She was a blonde bombshell, the ultimate celebration of heterosexual I don't know. I don't know why anybody would consider her, or that.
Speaker 3: That's a bridge. That's a far bridge to cross.
Speaker 2: Listen. People get really entrenched in stuff like that. There were people who were concerned that kids on field trips to the Palm Springs Art Museum would be looking at Marilyn Monroe's but when they walked into the museum.
Speaker 1: HM, I just want to point out one thing here. This is the outfit. This is the get up that you wore when you did the strip tease at Conway's birthday party at Morongo. Yeah, same Halter dress, same heels, same lipstick.
Speaker 2: Right is it's what's your point?
Speaker 3: It was a good fun memory.
Speaker 2: They could do a twenty six foot tall sculpture of me and my butt facing.
Speaker 3: It was a fond memory totally, So they will be.
Speaker 2: Moving this thing. They said that their trinut Turk is a fashion designer. Among those who led the effort to get the statue relocated raised more than one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars. Not that that couldn't have gone to some other good cause to move this statue, she said, there are a lot of details that yet to be resolved, and they're only moving it within that one and a half half acre park, so they haven't said exactly where they will move it, but apparently they a turn it so her backside is not facing the front door.
Speaker 3: Jen says, your blow sales strategy is all wrong.
Speaker 1: You want to sell in higher quantities because a circle of people who can be traced back to you needs to be super small, and you ensure that by selling higher quantities to as few people as possible. You don't want a bunch of goons out there knowing your gig.
Speaker 3: I'm smart.
Speaker 1: I feel like when I disappoint you, I have to double down on it. When I see the look of disappointment, just keep pushing it.
Speaker 2: All the way through. Don't worry about it. Where did this go? Jacob? I did it one? I screw up one time.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, Shannon, you are on a roll today between the pyramids in the boys bathroom, your pyramid pads. You're trying to sell seventy pounds of cocaine, and then you don't want to lose anybody. I'd hate to play some board games with you, for God's sake. I love the show.
Speaker 4: You guys have a good day.
Speaker 3: I am the worst to play any sort of board game with.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: So the last game I played was with friends. It was scrabble, and it was with friends, Matt and his wife and Jokeuan, and the game had just started and you flipped the table and the women were just talking back and forth and you know when you're playing scrabble.
Speaker 2: Hold on a second.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt was not involved, he was working on his own word or whatever.
Speaker 3: When Joe and Carrie.
Speaker 1: Were just like my back and forth, back and forth, having a conversation like normal people do. And I was like, Okay, first of all, you guys need to shut the f up. And that's when I knew I can't play. Like my husband hates playing games with me, hates playing scrabble.
Speaker 3: He'll do it like once a year on my birthday.
Speaker 1: But that's it, and it really crystallize the point of why I cannot be around anybody else playing any sort of games. It's embarrassing. So that gentleman was correct, but at least you acknowledge it. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Freddy Freeman is back with the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: No one should have to go through this, especially a three year old.
Speaker 3: Oh God.
Speaker 2: And the good thing is when he held a news conference yesterday, pregame to kind of explain his family situation. He said, well, I can be here because things are better.
Speaker 7: It's a good thing I'm here because that means things are trending better.
Speaker 2: There is a there is an awful story that's attached to why he wasn't with the Dodgers for a few days. His son, his three year old son, Max, is recovering from Galame Barret syndrome, rare neurological condition in which the immune system actually attacks the nerves. And he described what's happening back on the twenty second morning of the twenty second Max woke up and had a limb and they said that as they were trying to figure out exactly what was going on, by the end of that day he couldn't walk. Now, just absolutely, I can't imagine the fear when your kid complains about a limp and then it progresses too. I can't walk. This was on the July twenty second, and they said originally it was diagnosed as transient cinevitis. On Wednesday, Freddie Freeman's playing in a home game against the Giants. Max had stopped eating and drinking and they took him to the emergency room. They still thought it was transient cinevitis and they recommended tylanol. That would have been three thirty in the morning. So he plays a game against the Giants. He says about an hour as sleep, kind of makes a crack about I can't believe I got a hit that day. And the next day they are going to travel to Houston or after the game, they're going to travel to Houston to start an eight game, three city trip, and he calls his wife says, I don't know if I should be leaving right now. Something feels off, something doesn't feel.
Speaker 7: Even they thought it was transition.
Speaker 6: Might still so.
Speaker 2: Leaves a little bit after the game.
Speaker 7: Obviously, I didn't see anybody on Thursday, and we flew. I called Chelse and FaceTime. I said, I don't know if I should be leaving right now. It's just something was off. It just felt wrong to leave, but we I just like, we'll be okay. So Friday, we had a pediatrician appointment at two forty five.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 7: Most of some of you guys saw us, that saw me there. I did my early work, I got ready for the game.
Speaker 2: And he's talking about in Houston when they were starting that series there.
Speaker 7: I disappeared into the clubous because I was on FaceTime for that and right when they took Max into that pediatrician. Thankfully, that pediatrician said you need to go to the hospital now, this is not a transient cinevitis. They were ready to call an ambulance for him because they didn't think he was gonna be able to breathe that long. What God, So I immediately ran and told Scott to help me get home. Doc was everyone was so gracious, but they immediately got up to the hospital's then emergency room and within two and a half hours he had have been a later in the proulysis usually doesn't take that quickly to move up your body, so it starts in your feet and goes up. Within four days, it reached his shoulders, which is affecting his diaphragm and breathing. So I'm at an airport trying to fly home, my god, and getting updates like it was absolutely awful. But I can imagine my wife, my family being there and seeing all this happening to your son. She watched everything in person.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 7: By seven thirty he was completely betterlated, feeding tubes and everything. So I walked in and out ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: He kind of loses it after that. I mean, he has a hard time describing when he finally got into the hospital room late that night, would have been about ten thirty. He said, he walked in and you see a three.
Speaker 3: Year old I can't even fully.
Speaker 2: Intubated, I mean, hooked up with hoses and everything.
Speaker 1: Means, he said, I know Dodgers fans wouldn't like this, but I'd gladly strike out with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning in Game seven of the World Series three million times in a row. Then to see that again, well put you know he lost his mom when he was ten.
Speaker 2: I vaguely do remember that story. When he came to the Dodgers, I remember.
Speaker 3: That encouraging news.
Speaker 1: Though they started intravenious treatments using donated plasma that contains healthy antibodies to stop the harmful antibodies from damaging the nerves. He has responded very well to two rounds of that.
Speaker 2: They said that his condition. Max's condition improved so quickly that within forty eight hours of that full body paralysis that eventually put him in the hospital, he was extabated from his breathing tube, taken off the ventilator, and things are great, I mean, and Freddy Freeman was able to return to a team that was glad to have him last night for sure. But I don't know if you saw a moment where they're playing the Phillies and Bryce Harper, the first basement for the Phillies gives him a big hut when Freddy Freeman is up at first base.
Speaker 1: Well, it was bottom of the first when he came up to the plate, and it was a standing ovation with everybody on their feet at Dodger Stadium, and it lasted, and you know, and he took off his helmet, he waved the crowd, he put his hand over his heart.
Speaker 3: And then had his at bat.
Speaker 1: But it was a really class act moment for Dodger Stadium, for the Phillies, and just a nice show of support.
Speaker 3: He made me cry.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe you think about that next time you play a board game with someone. Wow. Okay, for a little bit more humanity to the time.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The big news, of course, today, though, Tim Walls is headed to Pennsylvania for his first rally with Vice President Harris as her running mate. She told the Minnesota governor the news during a video call this morning on x He says, it's the honor of a lifetime to join Harrison her campaign for the White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I would also say, listen, if somebody came to me and we're like, hey, we would be really considering you to be the vice presidential candidate, I would say, oh, that is an honor.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: No, you would say no, absolutely, I thought that you were all about serving the country.
Speaker 2: In the course of four hours since this guy's name was announced as the vice presidential running mate, we have to know everything about him. Yeah, and we're going to find out even more about him.
Speaker 3: I don't know what would they find out about you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's the problem. There are probably things that I got dog food asked and answered at that point. But for other people who haven't already heard the story.
Speaker 1: That you got drunk and storm the stage of a friend at a comedy club.
Speaker 2: Also asked. An answered, but again, if that's new to people, I mean, thankfully, my parents are constantly they don't have to hear all the dirt. But if it's new to people, then they can d I mean, you know, they could drum it up and make it a bigger thing than they Actually, we've.
Speaker 1: Talked repeatedly about all of your dalliances on the air, long before your parents departed.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: They knew just how much of an embarrassment you are.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a sign. A judge has ruled that Google's search engine has been illegally exploiting its dominance to squash competition and stifle innovation. A district judge said, after having carefully considered in wigh the witness testimony in evidence, the court reach is the following conclusion. Google is a monopolist and it has acted as one to maintain that monopoly two hundred and seventy seven page ruling. Right now, Google enjoys Where did it go? Google enjoys an eighty nine point two percent share of the market for general search services that increases to almost ninety five percent on mobile devices.
Speaker 1: Stocks are surging on Wall Street after yesterday's debacle. The Dow currently up five ninety four. The major average lost over one thousand points yesterday.
Speaker 2: There was a story that you brought up that I thought was an interesting reaction. This is from the world of Olympic Gymnastics, and Simone Biles and Jordan Childs won silver and bronze respectively, right or did.
Speaker 3: She get Yes, Simone got the silver.
Speaker 2: Simone got the silver, and Jordan got the bronze, and they turned and bowed basically to Rebecca Andrase from Brazil who won the gold. And the picture is of the two of the two Americans on either side sort of bowing down, and Rebecca's got her arms raised up in you know, a championship gold medal winning stance because you know she won the gold medal.
Speaker 1: The nice moment of game recognized game. I guess you could say women supporting women, but not everybody has the same feeling about it.
Speaker 4: No, Shannon, you sound very immature regarding the three women that were on the podium where the other two bowed down. Do you not realize that number one, they're all tight. Number two, the Brazilian had battled through three acl tears and for the first time in history, it was three black women on the podium for that particular sport, and that had never happened. So that's what that moment was about. Got it cool?
Speaker 1: You could have just stopped that message with Shannon, you sound so immature, and I would have covered it.
Speaker 3: I realized that.
Speaker 1: But I feel like I've been completely honest with realizing that it's ridiculous. But I'm still honest with my feelings.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with that gut reaction to it. I mean, your gut reaction is not it's not the well thought out reaction. That's why it's a gut reaction to it. So that I don't you don't have to feel bad about that.
Speaker 8: Shame on you. They are not bowing down as what you think bowing down would be.
Speaker 2: It's not bowing down.
Speaker 8: It's given respect. Some people give respect by naughty nearly all different kinds of ways, and they hang around these people and they have different cultures, and the culture is not the same little country ass culture. I guess you grew up all because other people have different cultures.
Speaker 3: Just respect little country ass culture.
Speaker 2: And there's something I mean, I I I completely understand your gut reaction to it. I don't agree with it. I think it I thought it was because in the previous events that we've seen the Americans go up against the Brazilians, specifically Simone Biles go up against Rebecca and rage she had Simone Biles had referred to her all the time like, I'm tired of compete it as.
Speaker 1: I want to compete against her anymore. Great, Yeah, it was. It was sort of that friendly, like recognized game.
Speaker 2: But I don't even think it was. It was just the goofiness of it. I mean it was. It was still this like goofy, like oh you finally, I mean, Simone Biles can say she has the street cred to go, oh, look you have how many gold medals? Oh you have a gold medal? Now that's cute. I'm sorry, but the nine that are around my neck are weighing me down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I think you know. I my gut instinct was, wow, that's nice. It's women supporting women. That was a first feeling. But then the more I thought about it, So the more the more I thought about it, the stupid are I got, which is just how things work.
Speaker 9: Hi, Gary and Shannon. This is in regards to the photo of the gymnast bowing to the gold medalist in meditation. There's a thing called sympathetic joy, and that is taking joy and happiness in the success of others. It's especially difficult when you're competing with those people, but it can actually increase your own happiness and your own satisfaction in life. So take a look at it.
Speaker 1: Huh, what's the opposite of that? What's it called again, sympathetic joy? What's the opposite unsympathetic?
Speaker 2: Will you take pleasure someone else's sad?
Speaker 1: No, I'm just kidding. You're right, and I should, and I would be a happier person. And I'm going to work on this sympathetic joy. I will take a mindful moment later and think about it. Snoop Dog, by the way, is making an s ton of money. He's getting paid about five hundred thousand dollars every day plus expenses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a seven million dollar contract for him. That's a two week I mean, and.
Speaker 1: I can't be true. That can't be true. Five hundred thousand dollars a day.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you put in, if you calculate, I have no idea Yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: Like cocaine calculation time.
Speaker 2: That's a good deal. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI i AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio