Speaker 1: Good Thursday morning, Kentuckyana. It is Kentuckyana's morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee, John ald On alongside John Shannon. You just heard him with his latest newscast, Got Fitzgerald's Got Sports coming your way in about twenty minutes as we continue to ride out this heat wave. I mentioned earlier. When I think of just these types of conditions and just how brutal it is outside, one, I always remind myself, well, one, I'm really weak, but also it could be a lot worse, right, I mean, I don't have to work outside, thankfully, and there's many that do, and they've done it a long time, so shout out to them. On the talkback feature, which if you listen to news Radio eight forty whas on the iHeart Radio app, you can always just hit that microphone button and there you go. It'll it'll prompt you and in fact, I think what it'll do the first time, will it'll it'll ask you to allow the app to let you use the microphone on your phone, and then you can say whatever you want at somebody earlier who chimed in when we were discussing the heat and just how bad I feel for those who have no AC at all right now, rather it be in their vehicle or their house, which unfortunately there's people like that. I mean, our own Scott Fitzgerald's been riding around in a car with no AC and I feel for him, but hey, he's tougher than me. And also we have a listener who wanted to shout out to her husband on the talkback feature, and he's tougher than me too. Doesn't take much to be tougher than me, if I'm being real with you, But her husband certainly is.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Nick. This is Betty and Firm Creek. I hate the heat and humidity, but I feel really bad for my husband. He's an electrician, he has to work out in this heat. They're in Jeffersonville right now working on the Meta Center. No, just shade from the building. Air Conditioning is the best invention in the world. Thanks you doing a great job.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Betty, and your husband again, much tougher than me.
Speaker 3: Shade can help.
Speaker 1: But but this type of just humidity and stickiness here, I'm complaining about just the thought of being outside for a long stretch of time with no AC, or maybe being in a vehicle to where I can't turn on air conditioning. It is a great invention that we should never take for granted. And I realize how fortunate I am, because there's many that are maybe outside right now working and it's already hot, it's already human, and it's already sticky. So again, thank you for chiming in and sharing that.
Speaker 3: Betty.
Speaker 1: Again, it is the talkback feature on our iHeartRadio app if you are if you're unfamiliar, all right, So the Crystal Rodgers' case continue the trial, I should say, And of course she's not on trial. She's someone who has been missing for ten years now, of course presumed dead. And the defense in this case there as you could expect, going to highlight that there is nobody, there is no physical evidence, and I believe one of the attorneys yesterday for Brooks how highlighted that they're just guesses. They're just guessing on their end, and that's fair, meaning there's not any real direct proof. There's no physical evidence, there's no body, and that of course is going to lead to a real challenge in proving without a shadow of a doubt to a jury that brooks Howk is guilty. Now, there have been many cases where you do, in fact have a guilty verdict from a jury that had similar a similar situation, meaning where there wasn't maybe there wasn't a body, and it was really based off of a lot of circumstantial evidence, strong but certainly circumstantial. So what stood out to me not that I'm a detective by any means, and certainly wouldn't be able to litigate at all, but the phones are always, I think, a smoking gun when it comes to evidence. Now, again, your phone being in an area when something happens doesn't prove that you did anything, but it makes it at times just so highly unlikely that that would be a coincidence. And of course quincidence is sometimes even if they just seem well that there's no way that's a coincidence, it's not proof. It doesn't mean that that's going to be enough to convince a jury. But I am very fascinated with this case, and I'm telling you, each day I feel like I learn about a new documentary or crime TV show, podcast, whatever it may be, that featured this this story, and it's because of just how interesting it is to a lot of people, not just here in the area but across the state. So again, we'll have more as this plays out, and I'm anxious to see where it goes from here and the family, as you could expect, very emotionally yesterday, those that are able to cover this as far as local media reporters and it's not just local, it's national, but there's no technology allowed, so it's just that's why you see the courtroom paintings and whatnot. But they are giving updates as far as what is seen whenever there are breaks during the trial and when it concludes for the day, And as you could expect, the Rogers family, I'm sure this is something that they're the emotional roller coaster that comes with this. I mean, first of all, I can't even begin to imagine just what they've gone through. But now they're here to where they've got a chance to hopefully get justice in their mind for someone, in fact multiple people who they believe played a role in the disappearance and likely death of their family member, their daughter, I mean the mother. Again, I see reports from those that were there covering it that it was an emotional day and that's certainly to be expected.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Trafficking weather updates coming your way, and it's summertime, meaning vacations are happening as we speak. Vacation's coming up here in the next couple of weeks, but there's a later there's a survey that tells us the best and worst parts of vacation and makes me realize I'm vacationing. I think a little bit different than most. So we'll get to that and more. It's Kentucky and it's morning news right here on news Radio eight forty whas seven point sixteen here Kentucky, and is Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. I know a couple people on bigation right now. My vacation are annual summer vacations coming up at the very beginning of August. Then I'm certainly looking forward to it. Vacations are very much needed and they're awesome. And even if you don't go somewhere to take a vacation, vacations can just be vacating from the workplace, and man, that can go a long way. So I'm sure there are some that aren't traveling like they used to because of the economy and whatnot, and I totally get it. But if you have a job, and most do give you some type of time off. I mean make sure you use it. I was in a situation a few years back where I ended up rolling over some days because I just it got to the end of the year and I didn't want to take them because it was at a time when there was a lot going on in sports that i'd want. It was good for me to be on the air to discuss big things going on, but I wish I could get those back. So anyways, vacation season is upon us, and we have an updated survey here and this is from let's see Talker Research for cheap This is the Talker Research is where they came from. But they surveyed two thousand American travelers. And let's talk about some of the best parts of vacation and the worst parts of vacation. According to two thousand Americans who were asked, the best parts of vacation, people claim is trying new foods. That got thirty eight percent. Americans crave culinary adventures, with nearly four and ten ranking tasting local or novel dishes as a vacation highlight. I would agree, you know, when we go to our trip, on our trip, every year. We now they're not new to us anymore, but local restaurants that are in a place that you go for vacation, regardless if it's a big tourist attraction, meaning the vacation destination, or if it's just a place that you kind of feel like is your own, because not as many people see it as a tourist spot.
Speaker 3: I mean, I enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Certainly makes the trip a lot more expensive if you eat out a lot while going on vacation, But there's certain restaurants that when we think about our vacation coming up and it's just a few weeks away, I mean, one of the first things I think about is getting one of those getting to one of those restaurants that I only go to once a year whenever I end up in DestinE. So the other top option at thirty six percent was visiting new places, exploring unfamiliar destinations totally makes sense. And then right at number three, which these are all relatively close. These are just your top three, and they're all pretty competitive as far as what people like the most about vacation is relaxation. Of course that's to me, that's like the most important thing. But vacationing with young children, it's hard to find that relaxation. At times you need a vacation from the vacation. My kids are getting little bit older where that's not as much of an issue. But John, you will be there at some point. Brother, I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: You've always put the fear in me. I don't think you've done it on purpose, but you've always I've told you about my trips with me and my wife the last couple of years by ourselves, and how I like driving in the car, and you're like, oh, we'll see how that goes along whenever you have your own kids.
Speaker 1: Well, man, I'll tell you what you were right, because you got to see the anxiety build when you and I were working. For those who know, John was the producer of my sports show, and he and I were partners on the air doing sports in the afternoon for a good stretch and had a lot of fun. And now we're reunited and it's and it's great. But he just reminded me that when I had a vacation coming up, he could see the anxiety building throughout the week, and it all rooted from the travel, it all rooted from getting there and just fingers crossed that my kids are well behaved and really to be. Just to be blunt, it's my daughter. She's with her autism and her intellectual disability. You know, with travel, there's just there's a lot of a lot of unknown as far as what's going to be a smooth situation for her or maybe what's going to be something that we gotta we got to deal with and we will and you know, it's life, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 3: But just the unknown is what always it always worries me. But I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Miss Daisy is so young that if you guys, you know, I don't know, you're not planning any big trips this summer, I don't believe. But if you do in the next I don't know year or so, it'll be at an age range to where hopefully she can just sleep, you know, it would be good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But when it comes to little ones, you really don't know. It's true, they don't.
Speaker 1: They don't give it a whole lot of thought when there's when they're so young, about how they're going to behave or how what their mood's going to be like. So it's right, just the roll of the dice, there's no doubt about it. We'll take a look at this list coming up a little bit later, meaning the survey, I should say, with the biggest gripes people have from vacation.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that later, but first let's get.
Speaker 1: An update on traffic and weather and another sports update right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John, it is Kentucky ANDAs morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you, John All on the alongside. We'll have Scott Fitzgial back in about ten minutes for another sports update. But we were discussing with vacation season being upon us and many of you might even be on vacation right now, there's a survey that tells us the best parts of vacation and the worst parts of vacation, meaning the highlights, and I guess they word it on the downside as the gripes. So we mentioned the highlights being trying new foods in the area that you're vacationing, visiting new places, just exploring unfamiliar destinations, and relaxing. Those were the three most mentioned when it comes to the highlights of vacations, which I think all those add up. I can tell you from my perspective when it comes to vacation, those are three big priorities for sure. Now the biggest gripes the worst parts. This one makes total sense, but because it's completely out of your control in most instances I try. I guess this is me realizing that I do it. Time to take my own advice, and that is, don't get worked up, don't worry about things you can't control. Don't let it consume your energy and ruin your mood and whatnot. Because you can't control it. There's nothing you get it done about it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: If your plane's delayed, you're not at fault. It sucks for sure. But travel delays that was listed as the biggest gripe. Forty two percent mentioned that, So flight cancelations, traffic or other delays, and look the delay. You can just be late, You can procrastinate and lead to yourself missing your flight. At that point, there is there is some some of some of you would probably just have to look in the mirror. And then another one though bad weather like you can't control that. We went to Navarre for spring break at the beginning of April and that's near Destin down there in Florida, and we had awful weather and it did impact the trip, but I knew that it was I mean, it's just it's just, you know.
Speaker 3: Bad luck.
Speaker 1: Also, I didn't realize that that part of Florida, if you are going to get sort of a week where it's just kind of gloomy and rainy, I guess that that's the that's the week it could happen, or at least that time of the year. And then big crowds and long lines came in at number three. As far as vacation gripes, Yeah, that's that's where we're starting to I mean, I don't think we'd ever move our family vacation to anywhere other than where we go. And I know many people go to Destin. There may be people listening right now on on the out radio app because they're vacationing in Destin and has in the morning is just a big part of their their everyday routine, regardless if they're on vacation or not so so shout out to you. But it is exploded over the years as far as just the amount of people who go there. It still has the everybody from Louisville there at any time, I mean anytime we go, and we've stayed to different different condos and whatnot throughout the many years we've gone as a family with my wife and our daughter initially and then now my son. Now we've probably gone. This will be our ninth straight year going as a family. So each year we go, it's more crowded and we see more people who in fact, you realize, oh, they've got a Jefferson County, Kentucky license plate right here, and they're staying in the same place we are. So we like it so much that the crowd hasn't bothered us. But when you go and try to get dinner or try to just make a run to the grocery, you hit traffic that's just going to take you a lot of time, and that is a little bit annoying. But it's not gotten to the point where we've decided to go somewhere else. But I know there's plenty that once their vacation spot becomes a vacation spot for many many others, it loses a lot of its luster. And I totally totally understand. We used to get lucky because we could go in I guess what would be the down season for Destined. But now once once my daughter started school and my son will be in kindergarten starting this upcoming school year. You know, we we you know, we we have to go when everybody goes, right, we can't go to Yeah, we would go in late August before the kids were in school because at that point we had just missed the big crowd. Because most people who go as a family, they've got to be back in their hometown, can't be taking vacations right as school starts. So now we go when everybody's trying to go. And it's still been fun, but definitely a lot, a lot busier.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 1: I know the vacation that you guys went on, was it last summer? You went up north to the northeast.
Speaker 4: We went to coastal Delaware.
Speaker 1: See that's so I don't know anybody else that's made a trip and just said, hey, we're going to go on vacation and we're going to go to coastal Delaware. I don't know much about coastal Delaware. It's just not something that comes up in mind for a lot of people, I think when it comes to vacation. But I like those kind of trips because there had to be a lot of unknown, like you didn't know what to expect, right.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely, I mean it was. It's about as similar drive as if you're going to floor or are You're just going in a bit of a different direction. And there's a lot of the same types of things, seafood restaurants, that sort of stuff, but it's a different environment than the typical, you know, way that you travel to get there, and then obviously when you actually get there as well, the beach on the eastern part of the United States is a lot different than it is down in the South.
Speaker 1: Sometimes just being in a place that is new to you and it's a new experience that can be a huge factor and you just enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. I try to.
Speaker 1: Balance trips every year to somewhere that I've not been before, just to experience new things. But I also like, we know what we like. We go to the same place every year, and we we literally have almost every day planned out. And that has not made it to where I'm oh, this is getting bold, this is getting boring, this is getting old. No, it's we like it, and I don't see that changing anytime. Soon, But I will say planning, it's all Life's all about balance. I don't like to have an itinerary when I'm on vacation because i feel like I'm at work and I'm supposed to just kind of let the day play out because I'm I'm relaxing. But also it is good to have plans. And my wife she does all that, and at times it seems annoying, but.
Speaker 3: She's built for it.
Speaker 1: She's she's always, she's she's a great trip planner, and I just I just show up and then she does a lot of the work, which makes it pretty easy for me. But thank you for doing that always, honey. All right, let's take a quick time out to get you caught up on traffic and weather. We'll talk a little more about the Crystal Rogers the case. As the trial continued yesterday, we heard from both prosecution and the defense. We'll get into that and a lot more. It's coffee and oh almost did it oof. It's because it feels like kind of is coffee, And it's very true, very true. This is Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee, and I guess kind of coffee and company because I'm Nick Coffee and I've got I've got company with you guys, and we've got the company man John Alden and of course Scott and John Shannon.
Speaker 3: So there we go. So news ready to wait forty whas.
Speaker 1: Seven forty seven Here a Kentucky and his morning News with Nick Coffee on who was radio eight forty whas. So we had the first day of testimony yesterday opening statements in witness testimony in the Crystal Rogers case and the let me make sure I've got it correct, yees. So the prosecution they're aware that they you know that they're they're facing what I believe is kind of an uphill battle.
Speaker 3: Maybe not, maybe I'm wrong. Again, what do I know?
Speaker 1: I'm not somebody that would would be able to tell you when it comes to a legal aspect, But no body homicide and really no evidence that's anything other than circumstantial. Just seems to be an uphill battle. But maybe that still leads to them having some success. But the conspiracy allegations is that the mother of Brooks Hawk, Rosemary Hawk, believed that Rogers was beneath the family and that she discussed hiring someone to quote unquote get rid of Rogers. With Danny Singleton, who is a witness, and he reportedly told her quote, if you have enough money, you can get anything done, end quote. So that's the conspiracy aspect of it. And then cover up evidence. So the Lawsons, the father and son duo, Joseph Lawson, his cell phone pinged cell towers near the Bluegrass Parkway on July fourth, twenty fifteen, which is consistent with the location where her car was found. Stephen Lawson in his trial, that's the father. He admitted to picking up his son Joseph after moving her car which had a flat tire. And obviously the Hawk family involvement, it's not just the mother. Obviously Nick Hawk, who used to be a police officer. The prosecution has planned to present a recorded conversation between Brooks and his mother, Rosemary, discussing the other brother, Nick Hawk, who's a police officer. They were discussing his police cruiser which was searched. They also allegedly I'm sorry. They also alleged that the Hawk family secretly recorded in twenty fifteen their grand jury proceedings to basically get their story straight, and those recordings were found at Rosemary and Hawke's homes. So that's what they threw out there yesterday as far as hey, here here's timeline discrepancies, here is the conspiracy aspect of it, and here's cover up evidence where they're moving a vehicle. And the defense, you know, they clearly wanted to point out that this case lacks any physical evidence and it relies mostly just on speculative assumptions, theories, and guesses, and that was, as you could expect, a big point of emphasis from the defense. But they also challenged with the prosecution said about Joseph Lawson's phone pinging near the Bluecrasts Parkway, noting that he actually lives there nearby and those pings could actually be coincidental. And then they claim on the defense that this is all just an attack on the Hawke family and they're unfairly targeting them. That's what the defense claimed, and they've ignored other suspects along the way and have used again, according to the defense, that law enforcement has used questionable methods such as promising immunity to the Lossons, which of course was later revoked. So where it goes from here, it'll depend on the more the other witnesses that we hear from. But there are certain things that again just seem open and shut. Yeah, the likelihood of that just being a coincidence is unbelievably unlikely. But that's not direct proof. And what it comes down to is not what you can throw out there to lead somebody to believe, it's what you can prove. Now, again, that didn't mean they won't end up being successful in finding losson and how guilty here, But I know I'm one of many countless people across the country, certainly here locally, that are anxious to see how this plays out. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather, and then another update on sports right here on news radio A forty WHS