Speaker 1: This is Sham and I with the Mets and welcome to Baplick's End Nerds.
Speaker 2: Hello, an, welcome to you Baplots on the Seed Baseball Podcast with the British Twist, I am your host russ A Lisam, and tonight I am joined by Ben Carter to discuss some of the ongoings in British baseball, in World Baseball and the MLB, and then to play a fun game of can we work out who's having a good or bad season? But before all that, Ben, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm very good? Thanks for us. Yeah, pleased to be joining you. I fear it's not going to be quite as illuminating and informative as last week's two hando with you and Darius, but I'll try my best to do a Darius impression.
Speaker 2: Well, if people had listen to that podcast, what you get is that, well, may like you can't really actually analyze a lot of these things very well. It's still becomes the conclusion is I don't know, Yeah, the conclusion is we probably both would devalue defense and devalue Shoot.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. I thought you were spart on.
Speaker 2: Yes. First things first, we're just gonna cover a few things that are happening in British baseball have been happening right now. The British under twenty threes are taking part in the Under twenty three World Baseball Cup, which is the first time that the team has managed to do so. They have lost all of their games so far, but they've had three very close games that have come down to the wire. Game against Australia where they had the base I think bases loaded with one run down and hit into a double play, or I had runners onto first and second and hit into a double play, which is a crushing one, an extra innings loss to and a game against Columbia where they were up but conceded five and inning. They've been put a really solid end up for themselves, which I think is pretty amazing to see from a britisherspective.
Speaker 1: For fear, but yeah, I mean just seeing them out on this stage, like you say, for the first time is really cool. I mean they're up against some serious powerhouses in the world of baseball and they're competing. I mean it's a shame they haven't actually get the win in those games that you mentioned, three really tight games. I think they had the lead at some point in all of them, maybe not the austral Again, that was crazy back and forth, but still they were right in that one, like you say, fine Linning look like they had a chance to take the lead. It ended up not happening. But yeah, they're competing and playing really, really well, and that's super promising for the future of the sport. It's really exciting for yeah, for the team that will be someday competing in the Olympics hopefully and in other events too. So yeah, not the results maybe they would have hoped for, but I think the fact they've been so competitive against some really good teams is a promising sign. And I know there are a few more games to kind of the next few days where hopefully they can get that elusive victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they find themselves now in the placement group of the bottom six teams, so they have some games against South Africa, the Netherlands and Chinese Taipei as they are in these tournament Taiwan. But we won't go into the politics of why Olympic Sports have to call it Chinese Taipei. That's for other far more politically inclined podcasts than it is for us. But yeah, it's pretty awesome to see them available to go to to China to go play in a tournament like this, and all this will do will improve GB's baseball ranking because they've never been in this tournament before, so it's just extra points to slowly work their way up that ranking system. So it's great to see. It's been a pretty good year for British baseball from the under eighteen, under fifteen and under twelve perspective, so it'll be hopefully a good finish over the next few games. Other things to talk about British baseball, we are well into post season for British baseball itself. This coming weekend we will have the NBL, the National Baseball League and the Triple A Final, both down at Farnham Park. There are both three game series, with one game on Saturday and two potential games on Sunday. I will be working with my friends again with the Journey Sports Media to commentate on these games, so if you want to hear more of my Dulcet tones, we will share some links out where you can watch. We'll show be showing the first game of the Triple A Game a Triple A Final on the first game of the NBL Finals on Saturday and then the NBL games on Sunday. But if it only goes one game and the Triple A goes two games, will show the second Triple A game as well, so potentially four games of baseball voiced by yours truly, which is just what everybody wants, right Ben.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super exciting. I know that you did this. It was last year, wasn't it for the first time, and that was really cool and I'm glad they bring it back again this year. I think it should be a really fun weekend a baseball down at Farnham Park. I love the idea of three game series for each of these I think that just gives an extra level of I don't know, like professionalism I suppose to these games, and it makes them feel a little bit more serious then sometimes baseball can field, So I think that is really cool. Obviously, the weekend after, I think, is then doublin Single A Finals, which will also be yeah, a good battle between some really good teams. My Richmond Roebucks did not make it to the Triple A Final this year, unfortunately, but the coin Pirates are in it and we played them this year, so I can give you, know, a good scouting report on them, the basics of which is they're pretty good. So yeah, I'll be interest to see who comes out on top of that contest. And yet I can encourage everyone to tune in, not just to watch in great baseball, if you say us, but to hear your dulcet tones commentate and the pleasure that provides all of us.
Speaker 2: A yeah, and just to say, the Triple A Final is the crowded Pirates against the Bristol Badgers and the NBL Final is the London Mets versus the Essex Arrows, so should be both fascinating games to watch. I also concluded my baseball season the other weekend Ben with a grueling fifteen to fourteen loss in the playoffs, heart break eyeing runner being out at third picked off, which is.
Speaker 1: Is that is a very British, faithful way to end it and a heartbreaking one too.
Speaker 2: Yes it was. It was a really fun day and then it was a good one to go through. So that's British baseball when it comes to MLB. Then is there anything else to talk to apart from it's all about the Mets. Baby?
Speaker 1: You knew I was going to make an appearance for this podcast. Come on now, the Mets out of nowhere showing up and putting themselves firmly in contention for a wild card spot. We kind of thought that the playoff races were all a bit dead, apart from, you know, some some contests for divisions and seeding, But the Mets have come out of nowhere at exactly the right time. The Braves have sort of skidded at the wrong time, and as of recording, I think they're tied right now on seventy nine wins. The Mets were briefly a game ahead, but I think last night results apported them back level. But yeah, super exciting finish of the season in the National League East, as it turns out, at some point looked like the Cubs might even sneak into the conversation. I think you've left it a little bit too little too late to get into it, but that Braves Mets race should be really good fun. And look, you know, I have a soft spot for the Mets, so I don't do a very good job hiding it. But I do think that they deserve to at least be in contention going into the end of September, because they have been one of the stories of the season.
Speaker 2: Start to finish, Yeah, and I think it's we kind of did slightly push it to one side a few weeks back, saying that there's not much to go for there. I think at that time I've said there's about seventy percent chance that one team of those who that weren't in it might make it, and it pretty much looks like the Mets are the only ones that has any solid chance. Now, I think if you look at it, the Tigers maybe have a ten percent chance, and a few of us maybe have like a five percent chance, being Boston and the Mariners. So effectively, if we want something to happen, it is entirely in that Atlanta Versus Mets territory. Although the d Backs are only a couple of wins ahead, so they could get the Dbacks plummet. Then it could be another division that has all three teams making it.
Speaker 1: I actually got so excited about the Mets comeback, Russ, that I've written a poem about their season. If you want to hear it, Oh, of course, but they're my best absolute bunts impression here. But here we go, old Mets fans, if only you knew what was in store in this glorious year we call twenty twenty four. Some disastrous performances in the month of May led a reliever named Porge Lopez to confidently say, this is the worst team in the whole fucking MLB, after getting ejected and giving his glove a yeat a mistranslation it transpired, though, he was swiftly sent down ahead of their visit to our very own London town, a rare but welcome trip to landsmore foreign that we won't soon forget, thanks to Louis Torrens, who inspired TNT's Darren Fletcher to say, what an unbelievable double play? And if that was the spark that lit the fire, gasoline was about to be dumped. It would transpire a young purple hero who we know as Grimace, would capture the hearts of a nation we all bore witness a winning streak. The Mets hit their stride thanks to a purple blob, and the month of Pride. Still the winds eat away, the team back in the sewer of the National League East no thanks to Hawk Tour. But as September arrived, so too did a charge some hits, then some more was truly a barrage Lindor MVP. He's certainly their lightning rod a Met season that causes us all to say, oh my God, just rather rather, I'm hoping deb to add a couple more verses to that, depending on how the rest of September goes. But I just can't believe how many weird things have happened to the Mets this year, so I wanted to chronicle them all in poem.
Speaker 2: For If that wasn't such a specific thing, I would have maybe accused you of using chat GBT to write a poem for you. But such specific moments that have we've discussed.
Speaker 1: To be complimented or offended, but being compared to chat GBT. But that, yeah, that was ten minutes that I should have spent preparing for this pod properly, instead spent writing out a love letter to my New York Mets.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, and I hope it is as memorable as some of those absolute bunts moments. I still when I hear certain songs, hear things like Bernie Brew.
Speaker 1: They've ruined taken me out to the ball game for me permanently.
Speaker 2: Say oh yeah, or the Joe Worse Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a very good one.
Speaker 2: Those things stick in my head and I do occasionally go back and find the tweets to listen to just the songs. Not a shame to say that whatsoever. Apart from the Mets ben is there anything else that we should be like watching or concentrating on in the next kind of like a couple of weeks as we end into this postseason rundown.
Speaker 1: There's still some fun divisional races out there, aren't there. I mean, your Cleveland Guardians have rallied a little bit from the last time that we spoke. They've got a three game lead now I think in the division over the Royals, who scuffled a little bit, So it's looking more like the Guardians will cling on and win that division. That Alista still well up for grabs, and the National League I think thing as a division races, but the race for the one seed, I guess is on which which might be kind of interesting, although I think top two teams both get buyers in they so it's not necessarily super important. But at this point, yeah, Mets aside, it kind of looks like the teams are pretty much set and it's a matter of kind of who's gonna line up with who? But there will be some some exciting playoff series. I mean, the way it's kind of all coming together, I think it's going to be in October to remember. And obviously there's you know, show Hayes fifty to fifty Chase that's keeping us all on the edge of our seat, and a few other guys kind of hunting down individual awards. But yeah, I think we've risked not having much to watch a tour in these last couple of weeks from a playoffs perspective, So it's nice to have something that we can check the scores for every morning and see how it's developing.
Speaker 2: Yes, we don't even have to probably even guess whether the White Sox will end up with the worst recording baseball because to kind of avoid that now they need to do better than five hundred in their last few games. So I think that is all but guaranteed that they will now have like the best record since the Cleveland Spiders, the worst, the best, but the best worst record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that is yeah, I feel like we need a whole point dedicated to quite how the works would have done that, but in this era of baseball, to be that bad is genuinely impressive.
Speaker 2: I think the scary thing was the quotes that the GM said the other day when he was just like, well, if you told me this to be one hundred and twenty five win lost team, I would have thought, Nah, that's a bit harsh. But if we've been a one hundred and five lost team to one hundred GUS team, I would have said, yeah, okay, so well you're just admitting that you just didn't bother trying and you were expecting to lose a hundred wins, which is just lose one hundred games. It's just that's an unbelievable position to be.
Speaker 1: I just love the quote to you where he was like, oh, those are just the cards we've been dealt. You're the dealer man, as someone I'm not want to give them credit for. Twitter confidently said, there's not in the cards you've been dealt. That's what you've done yourself. This is a mess of your very own making. So yeah, yeah, there's no excuse. I don't know quite how you put a product so pitiful on the field all season, but hey, they you know, made the A's good, which is impressive thing to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in going from that to the little fun task that Ben and I have decided to put forward to each other today, we're going to give a stat line on a surprisingly good or surprisingly bad season, and we have to try and work out cool that is whom has provided us that stat line. So Ben, do you want to start us off? You probably don't have to say whether it's bad or good given what the stat line is, but yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know exactly how you want it. Do you want? So? What I've got that written down for eature of mine is like three separate stats. The first one is like the triple slash or you know, different for pictures to be fair for me to do like that first, and then you can have a guess if you think you know it. And then I've got like home runs and I've got like WRC plus yeah, and then if you still can't get it, I can give you some more hints.
Speaker 2: I think we can work and have like a piering of stats to kind of get a guess each time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm a little bit scared that you're going to be quite good at this. I'm going to really bad. But let's see how this plays out. But my first player is a hitter, and he this year has put up a triple slash of two point fifty one batting average, a three seventy two on base percentage, and a four ninety six slugging percentage. Does that screen out any names to you? Is anyone that comes to mind?
Speaker 2: So that's so four ninety six slugging and what was the.
Speaker 1: Four nine six slugging three seven two on base two five to one batting average.
Speaker 2: So that's a lot of walks that's good. Like that is somebody who is like in the eight fifty like ops range, which will probably put you now trying to work things out off the top of my head, like a solid kind of like one twenty one thirty probably WRC plus.
Speaker 1: So I'll tell you now it's a one forty WRC plus.
Speaker 2: Just because it's down to seven hundred, isn't it. That's the thing that strucked me a lot this season. It's like keep on having to re assess what I think average should be, Like the batting has got like so much worse that you're kind of sat at this position to be like doing this. So we're talking about somebody who's got like a one forty w RC, and I'm assuming you didn't think they were going to have a one forty w RC, so I.
Speaker 1: Would say this isn't a bad player by any stretch. I didn't really put them in here becuse they're a bad player. They're having a particularly good year, but I wouldn't say it's it's come out of nowhere. It's just a year above their averages.
Speaker 2: So who's jumped out to me? He's had a pretty good But I don't think it's tell Marte. I think he's done a little bit better than that.
Speaker 1: It's not tell Marte, no good.
Speaker 2: Guess who's You're not throwing a Spencer Horowitz on me here from Toronto or I'm.
Speaker 1: Not giving you Spencer Horowitz. No ive got thirty five home runs? So one of well, actually I don't know who. What is the at this point?
Speaker 2: A lot of Dingers, lots of dingers. Who's had that many jerks of profile?
Speaker 1: It's not profile, profile had that many things as Wow, he's having a good year. Scould have been him.
Speaker 2: In yeah, profile, if he wasn't one of not gonna he was one of my potentials. I create quite a few lists. But now that I guess I can't really be talking about that.
Speaker 1: I'll give you, I guess give you another hint. His winds above replacement is not as high as his other numbers would lead you to believe. How man, even if I can get the exact number.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he plays a poor defensive position or is it DH yep, while narrowed down Schwarber Schwarber is correct? Does that feel? Is that slightly below what you anticipated? Or I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that's above what I anticipated? Well and soly in the batting average area, Hordeoble hit under two hundred last year. He's now at two fifty this year. He's always been good at walk, he's always been good at power, So those two things aren't you but the average is better than usual. The reason I kind of wanted to bring this up is it's I think he's having a super underrated career. Part of that is because he doesn't play defense, and so he's never going to be very high up on the the war lists. He's never going to end up with a career that looks like, you know, a Hall of Fame or anything like that. This year he's got three and a half wins above replacement, according to Fangrass, which is the best year of his career in that area by some distance. To be fair, if WRC plus is one of the highest of his career, Babbit obviously is high, which is what's driving that high batting average. Yeah, if you told me back when the Chicago Cubs team in the World Series that one of these players were going to age very well when the rest of them basically were going to be absolutely duds by the time twenty twenty four odd around, I think Schwalba would have been my last guess at the player who would be elite still, given he was a pudgy bat only player back when he was twenty three years old, and he is now still pretty pudgy and bat only, but still an elite hitter. So I just think his career has been remarkably underrated so far, and the fact that he continues to basically get better with age is insane. But you seem like you're underwhelmed than that he's too good a player to go in here.
Speaker 2: No, I think you're right that it is a I think as a own wish warbur a Klind you think purely about like home runs like that is like what when I think about him, that's what I go. And I know that he's hit forty forty plus in the last two years, so maybe he's still on to kind of like do that again. I think what we're seeing here is just that, yeah, that batting average has come up, which is meant that his overall kind of like run value has come up with significantly. It's just lost a little bit in that the Philadelphia team that has got so many more stars around him and so many of the more just talking points. Is Trade Turner going to be good or bad? His castiano is going to be good or bad? What's hardpacking with you today? That's like gonna take home all of the immediate attention that's part of you.
Speaker 1: What makes someon so important, right is that there's a lot of players in that line up that breathe a bit hot and cold, and he's just been remarkably consistent and actually since they move him to the leadoff spot, which he seems to have taken to like a ductor. I think he's at the record last night for most leadoff home runs in one season fourteen, which is crazy. So yeah, I mean, I just think an underrated component of that Phillies team and a Phillies team has last week? Is actually that that free agency deal they gave him looks pretty good right now. I think he's got one more year left on it, but I didn't think that was going to age well and it has.
Speaker 2: Yep. Okay, okay, I'm going to give you a start line, Ben, Then here we go. So batting two ninety eight good with a three seventy one OBP.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: A five seventy nine slow.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's very good. Okay, that five seventy nine seconds. They've got a lot pop too. I mean that that feels like it's on Bobby wear junior levels. But I don't think it is Bobbyweair junior because he's already been very good for a long time.
Speaker 2: But I think it is. It's better than uh, it's actually, I'll tell you right now. The WRC plus is one hundred and sixty eight, which is exactly the same as as Bobby Whitt junior. Oh really slightly different composition, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone I think a Bobby wit junior season and I can't think of her as uh okay, give me another hint.
Speaker 2: This is a very online baseball hint, but foolish. Base looks very foolish given this person's banning average this year.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I think I did see a reference to this. Is it someone on the a's.
Speaker 2: It is someone on the a's.
Speaker 1: Who is it on the a's. It's not Brent Rooker.
Speaker 2: It is Brent Rookers.
Speaker 1: Brent Ruoker. Oh my god, he's having a good season. That I would You could have given me a thousand guesses. I would not have got Brent Rooker without the online baseball hint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, it's just what you say. It's a a three sixty eight babit. I think it's going to significantly help any of that. But he's hit thirty five home run. He strikes out nearly thirty percent at the time, he walks ten percent at the time. But he's showing power and he's showing that. Like, yes, defensively he probably shouldn't be isn't very good, but at that one hundred and sixty eight WRC plus is act that is in line with Jordan Alvarez, Kyle Tucker, Shoio, Tani, Bobby Witch junor.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, one of the five best hit in baseball this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, only see people that are significantly better, or Juan Soto and Aaron Judge.
Speaker 1: My god, good for you. Brent Rickert, Wow, give us then we'll give us.
Speaker 2: Go go the other way this time.
Speaker 1: You want a player who's been worse than usual? Yeah, oh yeah, okay, fine, another hitter. Then their slash line this year is a two thirty seven batting average, a three seventeen on base percentage, and a four forty slugging percentage. Those are all yeah, way below what this person hit last year. And and actually their averages for the last few years. Their WRC plus is at one oh seven, so they're still a buvely gaverage.
Speaker 2: But so they're still abovely gaverage. But we would be expecting like a lot more of them. Okay, So immediately I jumped to someone like Corbyn Carroll sod a pretty poor season, It would be guest.
Speaker 1: He it's not Calledyn Carroll. I think Carrol has brought it back a bit in recent mons. Let me see where he's up to, because he was really bad first half.
Speaker 2: Wasn't he?
Speaker 1: But I think my internet will play ball here.
Speaker 2: There are plenty people I want to say, but I know I've had worse seasons, like I know Simeon's had a worse season than that.
Speaker 1: Carolsne's pretty close. Actually that was a good guess. He's two two nine average, three fifteen ADP four twenty slugging for a one three WRC plus. So you were on the right lines.
Speaker 2: Who's going to be down there with that low average but still playing like. It's not Alonso because he's got too much power. Jeff McNeil, It is not.
Speaker 1: Jeff McNeil, the flying squirrel. Now, this player's got twenty five home runs, so not altogether lacking in.
Speaker 2: Power, any five home runs, still.
Speaker 1: Probably below where we would have guessed this person would be home runs at this time.
Speaker 2: If you're saying that, I think there's probably only one other players I can go, and that's Matt Olson.
Speaker 1: It is Matt Olson, Alanta Braves slugger who last year hit two eighty three three eighty nine six four for a one six ' one wrc plus with fifty four dingers. And this year, I mean hasn't been bad, but has has fallen to earth quite significantly. And there was training himself. I was like, oh, this gone nder the radar a bit. I hadn't noticed that he'd been quite that bad. So I thought, I look up his Baseball Savump page and actually, exit vlow, barrel percentage, hard hit percentage are all still pretty good. A little bit down from where he was last year obviously when he was so good. But it doesn't kind of seem obvious where this fall off has come from. It kind of just feels like maybe he's gone into some bad luck or he hasn't quite barreled up as many as he did during his his elite season last year. But kind of worrying signs for a guy who looked like he was turning into an elite bat.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, just looking he's gone from a fourteen point four percent wark crate to a nine and a half percent war crate. So yeah, it might not. It might be the choosing what to swing on compared to the contact he's actually like making. It's made a big difference, and then if he's swinging a bit more, he's getting less good pictures to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's this league is BRUTALTI because once you know, teams kind of find a hole in your swing or find somewhere that you're weak that they just attack it merciless. You don't they you know, he does seem to have chased a lot down and in which might be what teams are identifying as the weakness. But yeah, whatever it is that that they found, he doesn't seem to have been able to correct to yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Not not not what they anticipated. They'll talk about those deals and who maybe won those deals even though obviously signed the massive contracts. Afterwards, you're kind of he's everybody thinking that, well, he's going to be just the new best catcher in baseball, and it's just gone, Nope. Both the controllers, they're probably doing better.
Speaker 1: The Athletics knew they had Mattelson Junior in the in the wings, in in Brent Recer.
Speaker 2: All right, do you want a picture or a hitter?
Speaker 1: Ben, give me a picture?
Speaker 2: Okay. I will tell you that in April to June, this player started sixteen games at a five point one one ERA.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's not good.
Speaker 2: Before they were sent down to Triple A. I'll tell you since June, this player has been in Triple A and has a five point one four ERA.
Speaker 1: That's also bad. Wow. And it was someone that you would expect to be pitching.
Speaker 2: Well, someone that I think a lot of people had thoughts that they were going to be a good picture. Yeah, based on they had missed a load of twenty twenty three injured. I'll give you that, But they had a very good twenty twenty two two.
Speaker 1: I think it's not Walker Buler. He wasn't back at that point, was he? He has been bad since he came.
Speaker 2: Back, though, No Buela has been bad. Bueller was another one that I nearly nearly chose in this list.
Speaker 1: Injured in twenty twenty two, twenty three, good and twenty two and then bad. Oh no, it can't be. I think of the Blue Jay's pitcher who was like Cyn candidate and then fell off the face of the earth.
Speaker 2: It's not Alec Minoa, Alec Maner.
Speaker 1: I can you remember his name? God, go and give me another hemt um?
Speaker 2: What is it? Good? Can hint to give? Well? I'll give you his twenty twenty two stats. He pitched on one hundred and ninety one innings with a two point nine six ERA, So it's three and a half war season. And yeah he played these in. Oh, this might give it away, but he plays in the Ale central, Well doesn't quite now play in the Ale central.
Speaker 1: But central picture. Tristan McKenzie yeah is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's sad. I like Tristan McKenzie, I didn't realized he'd been that bad this year. Oh Fortress. He's got like a partially torn newcland stuff as well, hasn't he that he's been playing through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't know, like it just it just didn't seem to just work. Just don't like the FIP is like six and a half. It's not like he's been getting like bad luck with what's been going on. It's just not had like did not have control, like was just walking like he had a like five point eight walks per nine. It's just when you're averaging like walking at like almost basically a person burning, and you're like, this is just not good.
Speaker 1: Because he used his control was his calling card. Right at twenty twenty two season, he wasn't walking anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. He had a Yeah it was two in that season. His walk rate is effectively three times worse than what it was. His strikeout rate is virtually in line, home run rate is basically doubled. So but I feel like you just had to throw meet balls to try and get it get ahead in some places, and it's just utterly, utterly punished.
Speaker 1: A shame of people like me who want to have a stick thin idle in baseball. He did always look like he would be what sixty five kilos dripping wet. He was so slender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I was tod he would break, which he kind of did when came back.
Speaker 1: But it was just like, yeah, true, there was some injuries that you're sort of more of a problem, but ah well, hopefully he comes back. Por Tristan, I will chair chair us up a bit with a good player. It's another picture. And to be fair, I'm gonna tell you know he's a reliever. I don't want you to getting confused that you know, it might be a start of our but it's a relief pitcher who has set career bests in all of the below stats this year. Let's start with the RA one point seventy nine. That's pretty good. One point per nine twelve point zero eight, Okay, it's not okase BB's per nine, walks per nine two point twenty four, that's pretty low. Anyone comes to mind, I'll give you. I don't even say I can get like innings and stuff like that. That might help a bit as well. He's pitched all season, so it's not like he's.
Speaker 2: A okay, yeah, well you're talking like one point seventy nine, that's not I'm trying to think of the guys now that have something below. There's only like I don't know if the top of my head, but there's like ten guys who are below two. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I was looking this up, I hadn't realized quite how many really good relievers there are this year.
Speaker 2: So who are the people that may we maybe don't would be questioned or maybe coming back? Kebby eight, like he's been pretty kind of like epic for Texas that you might.
Speaker 1: Not, Yeah, but he has been fantastic for Texas.
Speaker 2: Yet he's much lower than that. He's like one point two one point three. Yeah, I think he is.
Speaker 1: As even though, and actually I think his like, so this guy's that I'm talking about, his fit is two point four one, so he's slightly achieving above it. I think, heybe Yates fIF is even below to his His season's unreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you've played all season, then it's not going to be puck who played well.
Speaker 1: But it's basically sixty and a third innings pitched to this point it's.
Speaker 2: Not Hunting Gaddess. And now, as much as I want to talk about Hunter Gaddys, he has like a one five your a alex form the first round pick, former first round pick for the first round pick, who's a freaking reliever, who's a former first round pick? Oh that is a disgusting.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a bit of a sneak. I don't know if you would think of him as a former first round pick, but I think former top prospect.
Speaker 2: Would be fair to say, Oh, who's the Phillies.
Speaker 1: He is on the Phillies. We saw him in London, we did it's.
Speaker 2: The Oh yeah, it's not the duff Man, it's the hoff Man.
Speaker 1: There he is the Rockies legend, Jeff Hoffman. Who I mean, it breaks my heart a little bit to see him be this good, but he has been sensational.
Speaker 2: Man comes go leave, leaves what leaves Colorado after what years of like five eras to go to Cincinnati for a bit and then it's now.
Speaker 1: Just it's crazy. Since he got to Philly, how good Like they literally brought him in, flicked a switch and he's been an elite shutdown relieve ever since with the Rockies. Yeah, he never had an ERA better than four point eighty eight, which he did over thirty innings in his rookie year. Then he went to Cincinnati obviously was a converted reliever and maybe converted before that point to reliever and was like, okay, replacement level, And the minute he got to Philly, he just added three miles an hour to his fastball and turned into one of the best relievers in the game, I mean insane.
Speaker 2: Well, as we say, Dave knows what he's doing for when it comes to bullpens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess he does. I mean yeah, I think he's even closing games now for Philly. So good for you, Jeff Offmany. Yeah, if you didn't know it, you will in October because Jeff Hoffman is going to be getting some high leverage outs at the end of games for the Phillies. Right.
Speaker 2: I'll ask you Ben again, Ben, to want a good or a bad picture. I mean a good sorry, a good picture or hitter.
Speaker 1: A good picture or a good hitter. I don't think I'm gonna be worse at the pictures, but I also think they're more fun. To give me a picture.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's like, I just can't I did this thing, and I immediately was like, there's like five relievers that I just like, all Cleveland based that I can be like, oh, Ben, have you heard of Haydes Smith?
Speaker 1: And I thought about being sneaky and giving you a Cleveland leaver bar. I was like, here or sniff list a mile out? So I can't even try hero.
Speaker 2: And gaddis like, there's two fantasy leagues that I'm doing very well in because I just know those guys have just been like utterly phenomenal for like the entire season. It's completely utly mental to go through that. But no, let's go for is this going to be? Oh no, I did have one that I was going to do for this. Yes. So has pitched twenty seven games, one hundred and fifty three point one innings. He has a two point nine to nine ERA with averaging ten point five seven k's per night.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that's a lot of case for a starter one hundred and fifty something. Ains. You say it's not going super deep into games though, who is nowadays misting ERA play three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's it basically averaging about five and a half per per start.
Speaker 1: Is this American League on National League? National League, National League who's been It's not it's not Aminaga.
Speaker 2: It's not Amnaga. I'll tell you that this person is kind of a recent convert to starting.
Speaker 1: Okay, this isn't going to make a very good podcasting with me just going National League.
Speaker 2: They were involved in probably the biggest trade of the winter and.
Speaker 1: The biggest trade of the winter. Okay, that should be a big enough hint to get me somewhere.
Speaker 2: I know I have to double check this, but I assume being traded in December from the New York Yankees.
Speaker 1: From the New York Yankees, I should be able to get listed. And the Yankees starter or reliever turned starter who's been really good with a new team this year. I mean, you've stumped me here, Okay, come on, r like your brain, Oh, Michael King, you guys, Wow, he has been really good this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I removed one relief appearance that he does. He's kind of like yeah, which takes his era up to three point one. But yeah, it's like he's beens his first year starting. He took so basically for the Yankees, like he started some games last year, but like had he started nine games last year but had forty games in relief. In twenty twenty two, he was pure relief. In twenty one and twenty he had some scam starts and some relief, So he's kind of been this when required starter but more relief. And then yeah, this year is he's shown he's pitched like fifty innings more than he pitched at any other point in his career and has got effectively a similar ra to what he had last year when he was a mixer of a reliever and a starter.
Speaker 1: So for you, Michael Kay, well, they I guess they can't really afford to shut him down because they're going to need him in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be part of that rotation if they if they if they make it to the playoffs, pretty pretty likely. But yes, it's it's a pretty pre remarkable one, one that I don't think many people probably saw, especially when I think in twenty twenty two they've just gone, you're a pure reliever. Now he went thirty four games with like fifty one innings pitch, which gives you maybe like he's this one maybe two inning guy.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I remember Hi being like a multi ning guy in the pen who at one point was real weapon for the Yankees. Yeah, toward the end of games. But yeah, I did not see that coming. Well, I only prepared three bland resumes because lost to your busy writing my poem. But if you have other ones that you want to throw out there, we could quickly I could quick guess guess them.
Speaker 2: Oh, we could do so we can do a quick fire Okay, hit a. This is performing worse than anticipated hit A two forty six three oh three four point fifteen, which is effectively as a one oh one WRC.
Speaker 1: Plus I'm performing hitters. Hilio Rodriguez or else has been bad this year.
Speaker 2: This one is potentially down to age. But if it is, they've kind of dropped off a clickliff fast.
Speaker 1: It's not the time. It's non Nada. You're gonna bak my heart.
Speaker 2: It's not Nolan Aaronado, but you're very close in thinking that he's been bad. The gold it is Paul gold no Goldie, or as a few listeners to effectively wild might know that Ben gave him a stray shot the other day and called him Paul old Schmidt.
Speaker 1: He is having such a good career. As kind of sad when a player that consistent just loses it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like one oh one this season, with one twenty one this season before and then like twenty twenty two short season, but it was one seventy five, one thirty one forty WRC plus like this will be at one oh one. This is going to be his worst season today from WRC plus perspective.
Speaker 1: So I did know him a bit of a disservice. He's he's been a one hundred WRC plus exactly hitter this season. And no, actually that's worse than what you just said, isn't it. So maybe I haven't done a disservice.
Speaker 2: Let's see who else did I have as some quick ones pitcher A four oh seven era maybe more concerningly, a four point six y six FIP one hundred and forty six one and forty eight innings pitched from twenty eight games.
Speaker 1: Umm, who's performed as a pitcher this year? A couple of guys in the Ashos have Erlander.
Speaker 2: Erlander's not played enough? Ben, Come on, has he not played enough?
Speaker 1: He has an injured for a while, hasn't he? Oh? Who's uh?
Speaker 2: No, go on, give another Clay, Let's go cook sip easy clue. Yankees oh Yankees picture, uh Stroman like a Stroman.
Speaker 1: Oh that's sad.
Speaker 2: It's like his era is not too dissimilar to what it was last year, but it's just like all of the underlying metrics look worse. Like his xcra, is FIP and his x FIP are all significantly high than they were last year.
Speaker 1: So kind of way because you would have think as a ground ball picture, no disrespect to the Yankees in field defense, that his proper was probably better than his actual numbers. But maybe the Yankees in field defense is better than I'm getting it credit for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just one of those ones where you kind of how it flits through giving up the home runs at a worse rate than he did the year before, but it's strikeout rates have dropped. I had one one more.
Speaker 1: For you, Ben Michael King instead, huh yeah.
Speaker 2: One more one more for you. This is a this is a reliever, a reliever.
Speaker 1: Great, it's going to really test my knowledge.
Speaker 2: They have pitched fifty one innings this year. They have a point lucascheg four point nine four ERA a point ninety four okay bad. They have twenty two saves, Okay, I love it.
Speaker 1: Twenty says the four point ninety four Rah. I was gonna say, Greg Kimberley's been quite good this year, hasn't he can Canny Jansen new I'll.
Speaker 2: Tell you the season before they had a two point ninety three e r A thirty nine.
Speaker 1: Say it was good and now it's not so good. It's not. No, it's not Devin Williams. He was injured and he's been good since he came back. Oh, it's not it's not Josh Hader.
Speaker 2: It is not Josh Hader.
Speaker 1: He's not been that bad.
Speaker 2: A National league player, National league playing in uh in California.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what does that leave me with? Dodgers or Padres m or there's another one National League California.
Speaker 2: It's maybe a city called San Francisco. That'sh the Giants of.
Speaker 1: God. Just to remove him from my memory.
Speaker 2: Oh, so it's Dov It is Camillo de var Man.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's like young Teo.
Speaker 2: What happened twenty seven? It's one of these ones you don't quite know. It's like three years of being a pretty solid or two and a half years of being a pretty solid reliever, and then he.
Speaker 1: Was always kind of wild though wasn't he like he would walk. Guy. Oh my god, it's walking a lot of guys this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the big he would walk guys. Yeah, he did have a three and a half, like four walk rate per nine compared to like the two that you get from a lot of star a lot of relievers. But the k's are there, and the k's are still there. It's just the walk rate has just gone absolutely like through the roof. Yes, he's got a three forty babbit, which it's not is not like wouldn't be sustained over an extended period of time. But he's given up home runs at an unprecedented rate, and he's walking people at an unprecedented rate.
Speaker 1: That's a bad recipe, isn't it.
Speaker 2: That is a bad recipe. Come here, I have I had one more stat. I can't see if I've still got it saved or not. This is just a brilliant stat that I wanted to ask you. This is a player that's been remarkably good and remarkably bad in this season. Ben So guy, hopefully this brown so effectively. At one point over at a fifteen game average, this person had a five thirty woe but which is pretty phenomenal, and has also had a one sixty nine wOBA over a fifteen game average.
Speaker 1: Okay, streaky, streaky, don't know, Christian Walker.
Speaker 2: No, it's coming off the fact that last year they also had a fifteen game spell of five hundred and ninety eight wober and a one eighty four worker Jesus So who had very very loud low followed by a very big high lass.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you're gonna have to tell me go on, who was.
Speaker 2: Given a round of applause. Try yep, oh wow, yep. Like he started this season below average, got better and better and better and better, then absolutely shut the bed, and then has kind of got back to average again.
Speaker 1: Either weird weird player nowadays, isn't he seem to join the Phillies.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. It's just, I don't know, Like, if you if you look at his stats from like twenty twenty two to the normals to the end of twenty twenty three, it's just a wOBA line that just steadily goes down and you're like, oh my god, and then it shoots back up and you're like, oh, maybe he's okay, and then it drops back off again and then this season is like us kind of trending back up to a good level, drop back off a cliff again. Oh now we're trending back to normal normalacy. But yeah, boy has up with a.
Speaker 1: Good season or at all, well, unless he keeps pummeting.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's still got like WRC plus or whatever, which is like not really anything to complain about when you're a probably defense first flighter.
Speaker 1: But I did enjoy the round of applause to the plate last year. That was very fun. I don't know in fact Phillies fans doing that again this year, but maybe they should.
Speaker 2: Yes cool, So I hope listeners you have enjoyed that as much as Ben and I have. I hope you were shouting along at us and telling us that we are for not knowing the things, and telling me off for picking my Homer picks and making Ben try to work out who her help? What the hell happened to Tristan McKenzie.
Speaker 1: But this has been good. I feel like maybe next time we should do like a We'll tweet it out the day before and get other people to send in some blind resumes, and then we'll try to try and guess from what they send This.
Speaker 2: Just feels like doing the the Tom Briggle what Happened in Baseball Last Year? Podcast? Again?
Speaker 1: Correct? Yeah, although you know at least we'll learn something compared to the John McGee Planned Names and Baseball Players podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, let's remember baseball players from when I didn't even watch baseball.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I feel like I've learned a lot ros So thank you.
Speaker 2: No worries obviously, as always our listeners. You can find our website at bat flips and nerds dot com. You can find us at a backlas underscornered on Twitter or on Instagram and all of the fine other social places where no one actually talks and everybody wants to leave Twitter to but can't. I should call it X, but we're still there, Ben. I will ask the obvious question, what writing will be seeing from you in the not to distant future. This poem has to make its way out there. If you're going to addverse more versus. I won't clip this and put this out as an individual thing, but like I think it deserves stave actual kind of like posterity.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what if if the Mets do it, if they make the playoffs, I will write, I'll put a lot more effort in and write a full length, multi verse poem that will go on to our website just in time for their playoff run. So yeah, Unfortunately I haven't written anything lately beyond my poem, but I will put something together if the Mets can can keep this street going.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want the impassioned kind of reading with you, like standing in a baseball field like. Obviously we can't quite get you to New York to read it in city field itself, Ben, but a.
Speaker 1: Man can dream. Maybe they'll bring me out there. Look, they've done it with Brimmers and Hawk Tour, so surely I'm next on the list.
Speaker 2: Hey, if I had any control of it, Ben, you'd be you'd be reading out that poem for game one of the wild Card Series.
Speaker 1: The World Series.
Speaker 2: You meaning all the way if we get a boy series World Series this year, just be obvious, insane? Okay. I thoroughly hope you have enjoyed that podcast. Ladies and gentlemen, we will speak to you soon.
Speaker 1: Goodbye,