Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to SOOS Stories of Survivors. I'm your host, Serrihna Dansker, and today's episode is really really special. It's not just going to be a conversation, It's going to be a space of deep healing. Today I have a very special guest with me, Kandace Garciano. Candace is a gifted soundbath healer, but more than that, she's a rieky practitioner, a grief coach, also a life coach, and she is going to create show us how she creates spaces where she can use sound and vibration to open the door to healing and connection and release. I am so excited to hear about her journey and how sound can help us move through grief, trauma, and transition. So please welcome with me Kansas, Thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Serena, thank you so much for having me honored to be here today.
Speaker 1: This is going to be so amazing And so I want to begin and talk to you, and how do you tell us for those who are new to sound healing, how would you describe what you do in its simplest terms.
Speaker 2: In its simplest terms, sound healing and frequency healing. The easiest way I like to explain it is that everything operates out of frequency down to our cells, our tissues, and our organs, and like any instrument, sometimes they get out of tune. And that happens through stress, through everyday life, through disease, through sickness, through environmental changes. So when those frequencies get off and they're out of tune, our song doesn't feel as nice.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a great way to describe ahead.
Speaker 2: So the frequencies help to realign. The sound bowls help to realign the frequencies within us. And I work mostly with the seven main chakras. So there's hundreds, but we have seven main ones from our root up to our crown, and we work on just realigning those. Sometimes they can also get blocked, so we can work on unblocking them through the frequencies.
Speaker 1: Wow. So I know a couple of the chokras because I do yoga, and but can you talk a little bit about those the different chakras that there are.
Speaker 2: Sure, So we have we start with the root, and then we have the sacral. We have our solar plexus, we have our heart, our throat, our third eye, and our crown.
Speaker 1: Track Wow, that's just amazing.
Speaker 2: What led you onto this path to sound healing? Yes, so sound healing I got into honestly through grief. So I had been to sound healings in the past where I used to go to some with my friends in New York City. We would go to a place called Mindful Meditation, and we would go to a lot of soundbaths there. My friend Lena was a beautiful sound healing practitioner. In twenty nineteen, I lost my best friend. He shot his wife and their unborn child, and then he killed himself.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: We had been friends since high school. We were very close. It was a very devastating experience, and there were so many emotions wrapped up in that. There was just sadness, and there was shame, and there was grief, and there was so much in it. And I had such a very difficult time getting through that. Oh, of course it was I had been working with a with a coach, with a grief coach on moving through with a meditation instructure, and I was making small progress, but I was still very stuck, and I was I felt immobile, almost.
Speaker 1: Sure grief can't do that.
Speaker 2: I went from like working out and being really into fitness to almost not not even being able to move.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: My friend Renee offered me a sound bath virtually just through FaceTime, and it just shifted how I felt. It shifted my grief into a space where I felt like I could walk beside it rather than having it completely betrampling me. And I was so amazed because I had been to soundbaths before, but I never thought that not that I don't know, I just didn't think that this would do it. But I was like, I'll do anything at this point, just something, please help me. Exactly shifted my grief so intensely to this point where I was like, Okay, I can take some of my power back from it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: That I was already had been certified as a life coach and a grief coach, and I was like, I need to bring this to my clients. I have to bring this to my clients. And that's where it all started.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. You know. I had not exactly like your experience, but I too was stock after my son died and I was immobilized by the grief and I was broken, and I had two other children at home and a husband and my mom and I needed to find a way to get on stock or to glue myself back together. So I went to a healer who she didn't use sound, but she used energy reiki to help heal me. And it was so powerful it really blew me away. I couldn't I couldn't even I had no idea how powerful that is.
Speaker 2: Well's so interesting you say that because I went for sound, and then I also started going to a reiki practitioner. That's when I first started going, was through my grief, and I ended up becoming a reiki practitioner also because they were working so well together. It sings sound and the energy from the reiki.
Speaker 1: It's it, they say that sound and energy, the whole vibration, it's all connected. That we're all connected, right.
Speaker 2: We are all connected.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So outside of your practice, what brings you joy? What rituals or little things in your day keep you grounded well.
Speaker 2: I like to work out and run, so I'm a huge runner. I like to do that. I just did a five k this weekend. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Congratulation, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm really big into the Peloton community, so I do a lot of that. I'm really just moving my body. And then I do a lot of sound healing, not just for clients but for myself as well. And actually I do a lot virtually online, like on TikTok them on a couple of times a day where I'm just helping and just doing sound baths, you know, just for the masses that are on. So it to really become this huge part of my life, just my day to day. I spent so much time doing it.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that that was a thing you could do. I did. I did when I was visiting a cousin out in California. We did a It was a place where you did the infrared sauna and then you did the cold plunge and then afterwards you went into a room where they did a sound bad and the combination of that was incredible. But I had no idea that this is. I guess everything's online. I do.
Speaker 2: My clients are through Zoom.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I just recently opened a studio in Ramsay, New Jersey, where I see clients in person, but prior to that, almost all of my clients were via Zoom.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. So this show is all about survivors. As you know, and in many ways that we find light in the dark. How do you see sound healing supporting people who have walked through trauma or grief.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of times we don't realize how important breath is. We go through our day breathing because we you know, it's automatic, We don't think about it. But there's a lot of power and healing and actually connecting to your breath in lowering your stress levels, your cortisol levels. Certain frequencies can actually help to lower your cortisol levels heart rate if they help to reduce stress and anxiety, they help promote sleep and relaxation. Whenever we can get more connected with our breath and we can lower our stress and our cortisol levels, there's a lot of healing in that.
Speaker 1: That's that's really funny you say that because sometimes you know, I wake up in the middle of the night and I can't fall back to sleep, and I've started from my yoga practices. The meditations is counting backwards each breath from twenty seven and if I drift off or lose count and I wake up again, I start over again, and it really works. It works. It's fascinating, really.
Speaker 2: And you can get straight breathwork meditations that are so powerful. But I always like to incorporate the sound just for the energy and the frequencies of it. And there's a lot of studies that show there's a frequency which is four hundred and thirty two hurts, and there's been some studies that have shown that individuals who sleep who use that frequency to go to sleep sleep better than individuals who do not.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Can you paint us a picture of what a session with you, what instruments, what energy, and what intention comes into the safe sure?
Speaker 2: So if it's a one on one, we always start with raiki. I want to have you on the reki table. We start with breath work. I want to do a small reiki session just to feel your energy to see if you have any blockages, there are anything that needs some alignment. And then from there I head over to the bulls and we start to do the full bowl session of all seven of them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But once I have already felt into you through your reiki, then I'll go to the bulls that work with those chakras too, either on block or to align to help you get that frequency back on a healthier vibe. I guess right back in tune. Yeah, that's the way to say it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's true because grief shows up in so many different ways that you know, not just sadness. I mean some people are kin to you know. Add you know, you can't focus in a lot and it's so complex. So do you find you do different things for different people?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, especially with grief because a lot of people I mean that I've worked with, like they don't even want to talk about it, or they haven't talked about it. So when you get some into a space where they can release all of their emotions, it's so powerful, and they didn't they don't realize what they're feeling sometimes because it's buried so deep, and you know, you can be grieving something that happened ten years ago and not even realize it or realize you never actually grieved something you should have grieved exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: It's just so crazy. If there was someone listening today who feels stuck in pain, is there a simple home practice that you recommend they try?
Speaker 2: I always recommend talking to yourself. Ask yourself questions, Get curious, I'm feeling this, Why am I feeling this? Where in my body am I feeling this, What happened to that part of my body or whatever that's making me feel that way? Who said that?
Speaker 1: Is that me?
Speaker 2: Is that somebody else? What voice is that? What do I want to say back to them?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: With trauma clients, we tend to them work on an age. Okay, what age did that happen? What do you want to say to yourself at that age? Right? And it's kind of like inner child work. We're integrating those parts back to you because they are yours, they're part of you, but we've pushed them away. So what a station that you want to have with them? What do you want to say? How do you want them to feel? What are they saying to you? And it seems like weird at first that we're having this conversation with our eight year old self, for our nine year old self or our thirty year old self, whatever age, But there's power and wisdom in the things we've pushed away.
Speaker 1: It's so true. And sometimes if you don't address those traumas or that grief or whatever you're holding on to, it doesn't go away and manifests itself in different ways. And later on.
Speaker 2: There's a book I Forgot I forget who writes it, but it's about healing trauma, and it's the trauma cycle, and it talks about I really I'll get the name and send it to you.
Speaker 1: I would know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's about how if someone's crying and you say, oh, don't cry, here's a tissue, and you have them stop. Now that trauma is stuck in their body, and now that causes five years from now it can still be there because they never got it out. So how do you finished the trauma sy that the energy comes out of your body.
Speaker 1: That's incredibly because if you think about young boys. I have boys, and growing up there, I didn't tell them not to cry. I'm like, cry, well you want cry a river. It's it's good, but there there, I guess the males in general are encouraged to not show those feelings, to hold them all in, and by doing so, you're pointing out that it gets stuck in there, stuck in there, you know, and then we have a big health crisis with men. Mental health is a big issue. Do you know more men die by suicide side than than than women. It's it's sad, it really is.
Speaker 2: It is very sad. Most of my grief. Clients that I have are men whose sons have committed suicide.
Speaker 1: Oh that just breaks my heart.
Speaker 2: And from twenty up to sixty, I mean, of all ages.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: One of the first things they teach you in life I went to I took a life coaching course from a company called CTI, and one of the first things they taught us was don't hand someone's tissue and tell them to cry. Hand them a tissue and tell them get it out, but don't tell people don't cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tell you talk a little bit about that your journey through the other things that you do besides the soundbaths.
Speaker 2: So I'm also a life coach. I've been a life coach since about twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, when I was certified. Prior to doing all of this work, I worked in corporate. I worked in office. I was doing contract finance. I wasn't happy like the office. I know it's not you know, some people love it. I totally respect that, but it was not for me. I was really sad and really depressed all the time. I just I always felt like I wanted to help people, but I didn't know how, and I wanted to just be out more and be more active than the life that I could live in working in the office. And I was just so sad all the time. So I started working with a life coach. Her name's Jessica King, and she completely changed my entire life. Wow. So through working with her, as was life coaching, personal training and nutrition at the time, so it was like this full three sixth se that we still have the program it's called Mindful three that I manage. She really made me see that there were all these other options out there and I didn't have to take the same path as everybody else because I think I kind of just got you know, sometimes you just get stuck in these like well this is just what you do. You just go to work and if you're unhappy, you just suck it up and get your paycheck. And I used to think about driving my car into like the divide. I was really really not living the life that I wanted to live.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And eventually, you know, we did so much work together. I worked with her for like a year, and I was always like, Okay, I know I can leave here. I just need to figure out how One day she called me and said, hey, are you still with that shy job that you ate. And I said, and she said, well how about you quit just be my personal assistant. And I quit a six figure job to go be her personal assistant and it changed my entire life.
Speaker 1: Well, they say, if you do that, you love, the money will follow, because it's really not about the money.
Speaker 2: It's the frequency that you're on. Everything abundance. Everything is a frequency, and it's not always easy. I'm not saying it was easy, right. I had a supportive spouse at home that was like, if you stop crying, I don't stop crying every day. So she already had a business and she was like, hey, why don't you run it? It's really growing. You know, you have personal assistant run that business. And ten years later, I'm still I still work as her assistant, still running Mindful three. We have another bit's called Thoughtful Coaching that we still run. And I have all of this as well.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, absolutely so so cool. All right, Well, I have to ask you some fun If you're a healing style or an animal or sound, what would it be? And why, oh my god, there.
Speaker 2: Was an animal or a sound.
Speaker 1: You're a healing style, my healing style.
Speaker 2: I feel like I don't know. A rabbit comes to me, okay.
Speaker 1: But that's okay, So why why does the rabbit?
Speaker 2: They're fluffy and they're cute and they can be gentle, but they also have like a lot of energy to them. So I feel like I'm kind of a mix of boy.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think what a little chaotic y well who is too, Like I hadn't when I was growing up, and it was super you know, jumping around all the time and a little chaotic, but also really like sensitive and calm and.
Speaker 2: You could really pat them and that's warm. I don't know, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think what mine would be. I feel like the Tasmanian de like.
Speaker 2: I love that it's real, it is.
Speaker 1: I just like go a million miles and sometimes I move so fast I don't remember what I just did. It's like one of those things. But I always have the best of intentions and and that's that's that's what life's all about, doing what feels good for you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think working with the bulls so much, especially in the past year, has kind of even helped me slow down a little bit to a point because I seem like very chaotic, very friendic all the time, and I've really like reduced that a little bit in the last year to a level that were everything's a little more sustainable.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's what my goal. That's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to slow it down and breathe, and that's my goal. I'm not mastering that yet, but I'm trying. I'm trying to to live more in the moment and appreciate the moments that we're in, you know, the power of now and just just enjoy that, not focus on the future or get to where it worked up about what should be, could be and all of that. All right, Imagine you're hosting I don't know where questions, but imagine you're hosting a dream dinner party with three people anyone at all real imagined? Who would you have at your table?
Speaker 2: So, anybody?
Speaker 1: Anybody?
Speaker 2: I have my dad, he passed away two years. Yeah, I think I would have my dad, my grandfather, and my grandmother who passed away. Honestly, that's the first thing that comes to mind.
Speaker 1: Family is really our connection. Yeah, and it's it's hard when they crossed over to the other side. We miss them.
Speaker 2: And I'm pretty sure they're together.
Speaker 1: So oh, I'm sure they are, and I'm sure they're right here in their energy, but really cheering you on right now. This is so awesome.
Speaker 2: My dad's favorite holiday was Christmas, so his birthday was October sixteenth, so I'm already listening to Christmas music every year on October sixteenth. I just started.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Oh my gosh. What's your go to song or sound that instantly lifts your spirit?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm a nineties grunge girl. Oh, I love like Nirvana. Lithium's one of my favorite songs. Whatever, so I'll always throw that on. And I love like, I love all types of music, but nineties grunge and some good punk and I'm happy.
Speaker 1: But that's important. I think. I think, I think finding your jam and just being able to just we live those happy moments of your life right.
Speaker 2: And I always say there's places for everything, right, Like, you know, people will be surprised, they're like, oh, you don't listen to frequencies or sometimes sure, but like I love nineties grunge, I love rock, I love concerts, I love punk pop, you know, pop punk things are my jam.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh I know, and and that's what's beautiful about it. Now. You're also you know, you also do grief coaching besides life coaching and all of that. Can you talk a little bit about about that aspect of your career?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so with grief coaching, I work with clients on what happens now, the fact that the grief isn't may never go away, but how do you walk beside it? What are things that we can do together so that you cannot feel as stuck as sad all the time? And how can you also if you want to honor the life and legas of the person who passed away, but in a way that is helpful and it is not harming.
Speaker 1: You, right right, it's you know, it's it's really funny because healing work can be so powerful and it can also be draining for you, I'm sure, especially when it comes to grief. How do you protect your energy to avoid burning out?
Speaker 2: So I do. I see a reiki practitioner to help me with that, and then I just have rituals. You know a lot of times before session, even with sound healing, I connect to the universe. I have like a little saying, and then when I'm done, I ask to disconnect that energy.
Speaker 1: That's that's really cool. Actually, is there a myth or a misconception about sound healing that you wish people would just let go of.
Speaker 2: I don't really get hit with the sound healing too much with myth. What I do get is a lot of people like what do I need to do and how long do I have those You listen to it before it works right in my not work right away like anything else, And you don't have to All you have to do is receive. You really just have to receive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember when I did that sound bad that we put a little mask over our face. They even gave us earplugs too, because you lay down so it doesn't get too loud in there, and it just you felt the vibration throughout your entire body. It was super cool, really cool.
Speaker 2: I do think though, now that we're talking about it, there is this thing that you're just like hitting the balls and banging the ball, and there is there's intention behind it, and there's beauty and connection behind it. You can't just pull up the balls and just start it's you. You have to almost download the intentions and the energy and then bring it out through the balls.
Speaker 1: So I think of the more like an instrument. You know, if you start playing a guitar, I've played a guitar for you, it wouldn't sound very good. I mean, I'm sure if I played singing balls, it wouldn't sound very good because I don't know what I'm doing. Can you talk a little bit about that you have, like music that you that you're taught or how.
Speaker 2: To it's more so I did take a course. I am certified, and that was that was a lot of music, but it was also how to play the bulls properly and how to set an intention for the person that you're playing them for what's coming through to you? And are you listening to that? Because you'll play and then maybe you'll get stuck on one and you're like, why do I keep feeling like I need to play this because the universe is telling you this person needs wow that particular does that time?
Speaker 1: Does each ball have a different frequency? It does?
Speaker 2: So the set that I have, it's tuned in like the four hundred and thirty two tuning system, So usually you're either four hundred and thirty two or for forty okay, So it's just you know, it's just whatever your balls are tuned to minor tuned to four thirty two in Each bull has a different frequency depending on the tracer system. So the third eye is four hundred and thirty two, the root trakras two hundred and fifty six. Because everything has its own frequency, quartz crystal is normally going to be four hundred and thirty two.
Speaker 1: Hurts. Wow, that's really amazing I feeling about that. Have there been moments in your own journey where you've felt lost and powerless just being being, you know, a sound bad coach or a healer? I guess not every day is a good day. How do you work through through those moments so you can help heal others.
Speaker 2: It's just a year ago. I didn't know if I was going to be able to keep this career going for myself, just because it was really hard for me to get out and meet people and get myself in front of people to even be able to show them what I do, and I barely had any clients, and I was like, maybe this path isn't for me and I need to do something else to supplement income or to just feel like I had a purpose. I didn't feel like you know I had this other business on the other side, but this was my own thing that I needed to do, and I felt very and at that time I was also injured, so I couldn't run, so I felt like I had lost everything. I couldn't run, and then I was trying to make this work and it wasn't and I was like, what is my purpose? And then I started streaming on TikTok and it changed everything. My business completely blew up. Like that community is amazing community that I have on there. They are the most like just loving, amazing people.
Speaker 1: That is so beautiful. That's that really.
Speaker 2: Now I am so busy, I'm trying to fit it all in, but I'm taking on everything because this is what.
Speaker 1: I asked for and it's what makes you feel good. It's filling your bucket, right.
Speaker 2: But I really had to ask, Like I just kept asking the universe, like show me what I need to do, Show me what I need to do, because I don't know, and I'm giving it to you right now.
Speaker 1: To the surrender.
Speaker 2: I kept fighting and fighting and fighting, and finally I was just like, just tell me what I need to do and I.
Speaker 1: Will do it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: What do you hope to see in the future of the healing spaces like yours.
Speaker 2: I hope to see it brought into more hospitals and doctor's offices, like very much more than medical community. There are some hospitals now and some hospice centers and even like senior home care centers that are bringing sound healing and reiki and even shamanic healing, and it's very powerful. Well, it's also very calming for people. You know, I'm also an end of life doulah, and I became one of I became an end of life DULO when my father was in the hospital towards the end of his life and when he was in hospice, and just the amount of people who were by themselves who were transitioning along was heartbreaking. It is, and I just think if we can bring in more connectedness to those space so that people aren't so alone, even if they're not transitioning, but they're just in a senior care home and they don't have family or friends too.
Speaker 1: Or even if like my mom, she lives alone. And I, you know, try to get there as often as I can, but you know, if I go for an hour or two out of my day she's still alone for the other twenty two hours. It's so heartbreaking to me, it really is. That's really beautiful. If you had one message for survivors listening right now, what would you say to them?
Speaker 2: Guess the biggest thing that I would say is that you don't have to go through it alone, that you can reach out, that people do care, and it can feel very lonely for us sometimes. Yeah, but sometimes we just have to ask people if we want. I think so much we just either think that we have to go through this by ourselves or we don't know what to ask. And sometimes you just have to ask for someone to just hold space where you just sit there with you, just be with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. What's next for you, Kansas? What any of retreats, projects or dreams on their horizon?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to I am working on a retreat, hopefully out in Sedona within the next few months. I'm trying to work on a sound bath retreat for that with Riki Healing as well. I'm bringing Christine who's been on your podcast. Yeah, So I'm working on building that out and just more clients. I really love you know, I love group work. I just had a sound bath that I did in South River. Wow, that was really great. And I just did another event. So I do a lot of group events. I want to do a lot more corporate events because it's really important. I'm doing one on Wednesday, so I'm trying to manifest just a lot more. I just don't want to help as many people well as I can.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, and I guess we should to ask. I should ask you where can our listeners find you and your work? How do they How do they get to?
Speaker 2: My website is Candice Graciano dot com. But I'm all over, like if you just put can this Grastiano sound Healing, and I come up everywhere. I mean, I have Spotify playlists, on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, LinkedIn. I've kind of tried to lay myself as many places as I can. I'm a little bit of everywhere.
Speaker 1: Oh can just thank you so much for sharing your wisdom, your heart, and your energy with us today as we close, I like to honor my son Scott by sharing one of his poems, and I do this at the end of every episode. His words are part of the heartbeat of this show, and I feel that by sharing them I still bring his energy around, and it's so empowering to me. So the poem that I chose he wrote it says, people expect so much to receive, but never to give. I can't perceive these requests that are coming in too fast. By the time I send back, I'm too late. They ludicrous mad because I can't supply the demand the man, the demand that just takes and takes and never gives. I know I be selfish by saying I got a life to live and I can't always give. But that's how I be feeling, and nobody cares about. How about how I beheeling around, not knowing which way is right or wrong? And I snap. I say what I ain't supposed to say. I feel what I ain't supposed to feel. I touch what I ain't supposed to touch. It's too much pressure to be one guy when I want to be another. I'm crossed between two lines, and I can't tell which line is fine and which is not my line. My mind is filled with lies, I tell myself. I don't even know the truth anymore. I'm tired of having these epiphanies when maybe I should just gain the ability to shut the f up, because that's one thing both lines can't neutralize. When he was fifteen when he wrote these poems, They're so deep and telling about is on in the mind and of a young boys feels so much. And now I have to say, in Scott's spirit and the spirit of this conversation, Candace has graciously offered to leave us with a short sound moment, a vibration of peace and love that we can carry with us throughout the after the episode, and Candace, I'd like to say to you, the mic is yours. Thank you, Candace, and thank you listeners. This has just been an amazing, amazing night and day, and I just feel it all through my soul. I just want to say, until next time, remember sos stories of survivors where survival sparks the soul. Thank you for joining us, and I'll see you next week.