Speaker 1: Here we go with the Minnesota Goodbye. Our first email is going to reference something that we talked about on the show just this morning. And we love whatever it is you bring up, whatever it is you want to bring up on the Minnesota Goodbye. We love doing it because you write the show. You write this And if you write a letter or an email, write a letter, when's the last time you mail a letter? Like? When's the letter? Have you ever had a pen pal? I used to write to my cousin Brian on a letter. I'd be like, dear Brian, what are you doing? I have had fun at school? When's the last time you wrote a letter? Bailey?
Speaker 2: I think I wrote one to be like for Novelty to one of my former coworkers at the Kelly Farm, and he would write letters back and forth, and I always think I should write her again, I should write her again, and I just never do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it, Jenny, was the last time you wrote a letter?
Speaker 3: I don't think I could tell you. I have no idea. Probably when I was forced to an elementary school or something.
Speaker 1: So she goes on to say, or starts to say. During thing Fast this morning, Dave talked about bobbing for apples and how how gross it is, and then made the joke that that's how COVID started. I was talking about how I went to an apple pow or an apple party, a Halloween party. We had bobbing for apples Moni Sloan's house in Black Forest, and we were probably eight or ten years old, and they had bobbing for apples, and I remember the kids would do it and they would first of all, who wants an apple? Second, when you bob you would get spit floating in the tub, and I remember looking at it, going that's gross, that's really gross. Anyway, Dave made the joke that's how COVID started, and that the whole conversation made me think of how during COVID I had young children. I realized all of a sudden that we have little kids spit all over the cake under the guys of blowing out their birthday candles, and then everybody eats it. It's so gross. So since twenty twenty, we have not done a birthday cake. We do cupcakes and my kid gets candles on their individual cupcake and then nobody else has to eat their spit. Oh, that's a gross way to put it, Yes, do you all have things that were super normal pre COVID you suddenly realize they're actually really gross and you know longer? Do not? Really, do you guys have anything that you did pre COVID?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean I've heard the cake thing before that people are like, how are we letting people just blow out the candles all the time? I don't think so, I don't know. I mean, I still know people who wear masks into places and stuff, but I definitely don't.
Speaker 1: Why are people still wearing masks?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: They do? Not know they literally afraid of COVID?
Speaker 2: No, I think I mean, I think they're just being like mindful of like people who have autoimmune diseases and whatnot. So, I mean, I have a friend who's definitely in that kind of community, so she wears a mask constantly. I don't know if I've really seen her face without a mask on in years.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when they said the handshake was going to go away during COVID? They said it's such a weird custom, and they said that after COVID goes away, the handshake will probably go away as well, And it did not. People still want to shake hands.
Speaker 2: I shake people's hands less now though than I did before. And like same with like sharing food or sharing drinks. I do that way less now than I did before.
Speaker 3: I do it doesn't seem like it.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, I do it less.
Speaker 2: Like if I was in like the club and someone had a drink in their hand and I want to be like, oh is that good, and they offered it to me, I wouldn't taste it.
Speaker 1: We make fun of Bailey because I'll have, like, you know, a like a glad ware thing of salmon and rice, and Bailey be like, hey, can I have some? And so I will use my same plastic fork and Bailey will take a big bite, but you scrape it off with your teeth.
Speaker 4: You do it with my teeth so I don't get my spit all over it.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate that she goes on to say love you guys, love the show. No need for a sticker. I already have one, although my eight year old did steal it from me since he was on the show and he said he deserves it more Aaron, thank you. I'm going to hit delete on that one and that one, and here's one. This is one need to remember one need is a very colorful writer. Hey y'all, Hey, hey Jannita. Here, there's been a couple of days writing in. But the assholes at my job called bosses seem to think that I come into work to actually do shit. Lol. Well here's another random rant about some shit that got on my nerves. Here we go, catching up on the podcast of the show. I heard you guys talking about head lice, which made me think of a situation with my daughter at school. I am African American, I am an African American woman, and I live in Andover. My daughter was in elementary school at the time, and she was the only back black kid in the class. One day, one of the other kids came in had head lice was in turn infected all nineteen kids in the class. Wow, except for guess which one mine. My daughter said she was the only one in the class it didn't have head lice. Here's the part that pissed me off. So the other kids got to go home, But because my daughter didn't have lice, she was the only one left behind, like the last little raisin in the box. Why not just send her home instead of having her in a whole classroom by herself? Hug my. Mom said, lice can't live in our hair. That's why she didn't get it. She was being funny, but it turned out okay. She had to play game as watch movies, so she had fun. Thanks for being the number one radio station and keeping me entertained at this shit show they call a job. Talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: That sounds like the best day of school. Everyone's gone because they have lights and you just get to play games and watch movies all day.
Speaker 1: That would be kind of cool. You're the only kid in school. I feel like that happened to me at one point. I don't know if it was a bad snow day and maybe it was kindergarten and no other kids showed up, so I think it was the only one in class. Good dang, and we just like colored and did fingerpaint or something all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of those my senior year.
Speaker 2: It was a snow day that was or it was like so cold it was like polar ice vortex or something, and they said school was not mandatory, it was optional, and so of course everyone's like, well, I'm making an option to not come to school today, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, well, I gotta go to school, So I.
Speaker 2: Wore like three pairs of pants because it was so freaking cold. And I went to school and I was like one of I don't know a handful of kids at school.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 1: I think probably in minnesot To most people have a story about like some sort of extreme weather from the Halloween blizzard or something. I remember in Colorado one time, I was in about third grade, they called off school early. It was Halloween. They sent everybody home, and the governor canceled trick or treating. They said, no, trick or treating is too dangerous. I'm like, fuck that, I'm going trick or treating. So I had snow up to my waist at least, and I crossed the street to trick or treat and the neighbors scolded me and they said, trick or treating's been canceled. And I think back, my mom and dad must have let me get out of the house in three feet of snow to go trick or treating. They either didn't know or they didn't care. I could have died out there.
Speaker 3: You could have died yourself.
Speaker 4: Third grade, Oh yeah, we used to get ourselves in third grade.
Speaker 1: Eight well, we lived in a safe neighborhood.
Speaker 3: I know, but I don't know. I feel like my parents went with me trick or treating everywhere until you were just too old to trick or treat.
Speaker 1: Oh really yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I remember the first time Carson went trigger treating by himself, he was probably in about third grade. He went with his friend Tyson, and up until that point I always went with him. It was a whole lot of fun. And so him and Tyson go out by themselves and they don't come back, and they don't come back, and now it's like they should have been back. And it was the point where even the high school kids were done trigger treating, and so we're like panicking. We're like, oh my god. So Sue, I get in the car. I'm driving around. All the trigger treaters are home, no sign of Carson or Tyson, and I thought, this is oh my god, it's terrible. It's terrible. And I would call the house. Did they show up, No, have you found him yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: And we finally found them coming up. They went down one long street and then came up the other side of the street, just having the time of their lives with a pillowcase full of candy and boy, you talk about panic because you think they could have been abducted a couple of eight year olds out trick or treating. But it goes back to what I've always told parents. You will lose track of your kid several times during their childhood. I promise you you'll find them. You'll lose them at the fair, you'll lose them at the apple farm, you'll lose them at them all. You will find them. The time from when you realize they're loss so you find them will be the longest eight minutes of your life, and you will think of every bad possible thing, but rest assured you will find them.
Speaker 2: And they weren't even thinking about being lost. They were just like, we're having a great I'm a power.
Speaker 1: Ranger, right, don't say a name. I couldn't decide if I wanted to write him, and I'm laying in bed decided I felt like I should, even though I'm sure you have tons of responses or many people like me who are debating, and some of these people decided not to, Well, what are they talking about? Of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinion on what is attractive. I do think it's okay to worry about a partner, want them to be healthy so they can live a long lifetime and you can spend quality years together. But Bailey had a great point. Many body types and shapes are healthy. It can be hard to look at somebody overweight and think they're healthy. A lot of times they might not be, but they can have a clean bill of health, while a person who is not considered overweight could have worse health. For example, maybe they have high blood pressure, cancer, bad cholesterol, et cetera. I appreciated Bailey's point of view because I do think love shouldn't be based on appearance, and I think that's really shallow if it does. Yes, I understand weight can affect physical health not always, and can affect activity level. But again, I do not want to pretend like I know all of your backstories with weight loss, but let me share some of mine. By the way, a pet peeve of mine or weight loss coaches who say I am a pro at helping you lose tons of weight and they've never had to lose substantial amount of weights themselves, They've always been skinny. I think that's a funny thing about Instagram influencers who are like, here's how I got shredded.
Speaker 4: Mmmm.
Speaker 1: They were genetically.
Speaker 4: Gifted that way to be shredded.
Speaker 1: I'm in my late twent In college, I gained some weight the freshman fifteen no more like the freshman thirty. By the time I graduated college, I was probably one hundred pounds over weight. Stress was a huge factor. I didn't realize it at the time, and I was very active. I played recreational sports three times a week. I worked out. My first year out of college twenty nineteen, my partner and I had been together for a year and a half of this point, decided to make some changes. We lost fifty pounds each WOW in about seven months and kept it off until the pandemic hit. Then we probably gained it all back then double Now. It's easy to talk about binge eating, or being a couch potato or not taking care of yourself. But I was close to tears listening to your show yesterday. And I don't say that to make you feel bad, but I think Jenny and Dave were harsh in their quick opinions about weight gain and attractiveness. Maybe it wasn't your intentions, but it came off badly, And maybe it was your intentions too. I wanted to tell you that sometimes things like weight gain and obesity is more than just people letting themselves get fat. Trust me, no one wants to get fat. My personal struggles were mental health related, some depression, mostly anxiety. I don't just sit on the couch either. Yes, food was an anxiety coping mechanism, but I was still very active. Actually lived in Colorado, did a bunch of difficult trails. They were harder at the higher weight, but I did them. I even hiked fourteen miles in Glacier National Park that year and one day trip out and back. It's taking a lot of therapy, hard work, and I don't know what else. I'm still in a journey, but I've lost about seventy five pounds in the last ten months. I don't want to congratulations because I got a long way to go and this journey is lifelong, especially when my mental health is so integral to my physical health. But I hope you take that into consideration. I love you all, but honestly, Bailey was the only reason I didn't turn off your podcast today. I've never been upset or offended by anything you've ever said on the radio, but I felt like it was hard to hear and I'm not sure how this email will be perceived, but I had to share it. Your perception is I mean, that is perfect. That is what you get to do. Is you get to give us your input on the Minnesota Goodbye. Yeah, for sure, and that is your story. And I appreciate you taking time to write the longest goddamn email we've ever read on the Minnesota Goodbye, but I wanted to be fair and read the entire thing. Next one, let me preread it first. I'm gonna skip that one because they are a frequent staff writer, and honestly, I don't It wasn't like the most meaningful email, so I'm gonna skip that one. Hello. The other day I found a site that showed up that you had to a zume ukulele group. Are you still doing that? I belong to the Twin Cities Ukulele Club. I would love to join another, so I'll write them back off the air. I should have pre read that.
Speaker 4: Why are ukulele club?
Speaker 1: Next one? They said? I feel I must put the foundation out there that yes, there are a lot of us that love only ketch up on a hot dog. I hate mustard, relish, pickles, horse readdish, and all the other weird things people put on hot dogs and brats because I said nobody, but nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog, And you two amateurs are like, I love ketchup on a hot dog? Did you say that?
Speaker 4: Throw me under the we like ketchup?
Speaker 1: What do you like on hot dog?
Speaker 4: I like mustard, sauer kraut onions.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, Then you're on the right track. I know both Dave and Fallon. That's you apparently agree that the only thing that prolongs on a hot dog are broad is mustard. But you're wrong. I will only ever enjoy a hot dog or a brought with either nothing or ketchup to access the flavor. I'm sitting in South Carolina in Myrtle Beach and joining a lovely hot dog, and I heard this podcast. Say it with me. Ketchup is okay, ketchup is good. Ketchup is okay, ketchup is good. No quiz time. What booth does Bailey work at at the Renaissance Festival?
Speaker 3: Jenny um something where she sells chocolates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's called the Royal Sweets.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, what is Danger Committee, because her answer was.
Speaker 2: Danger Committee is who I work for. So it's the Danger Committee's Royal Sweets tent where I sell chocolate.
Speaker 1: Are you going to be there at Sunday Sunday? Yes? What time?
Speaker 2: I will be there eight to five? Well, it doesn't open until nine, so a long day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I even get off early on Sundays.
Speaker 1: So m And another question, because she's an expert on the show, what did Dave Ryan bribe Allison with to go on the log ride at Mall of America? Anybody dippin' dots?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Close?
Speaker 3: I know why I should knows, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: A candy necklace and that's candy necklace. I'll got you a candy necklace. Bad IDEA. Good morning, says Neil from Atlanta. I love hearing you read all the emails and of course mind so I taught for thirteen years. We did ice breakers all the time. My question is do you have any good ice breakers? And what are the worst ones You've been part of? Here are mind for you? You just got a new phone. You get all the apps that are preloaded. You only get to pick three other apps to install. Which ones do you pick? Dart Lickety lickity lick Neil m from Atlanta, Georgia. Jenny, you go first, what three other apps do you install? Install?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Is okay?
Speaker 3: Instagram?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: I really don't use that many apps, so I don't think this is that hard. I probably do Instagram, TikTok, and Google Maps comes with your phone, right, Yeah, it's like the only other one I like, really use a lot? Really, yeah, I don't. I don't use a lot of apps.
Speaker 1: I use Marco Polo, which is a free video messaging app that works just like text messages, but you send recorded videos and your friend can either watch them live or they can watch at their leisure. That's called Marco Polo. I love it. I use it all the time. Also, flight Radar twenty four to seven is an airplane app that lets you track any flight, private or commercial in the world. And I can't think of another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would probably keep Instagram for sure, TikTok for sure. And then I use an app called Discord, which is kind of like a thing video game kids use, but I use it to connect with my speech and debate team, so it's like our main form of communication.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like a message board. So I discord as well. Yeah, that's what I did mine.
Speaker 3: Oh you did, Yeah, I did mine already.
Speaker 1: What day is it today?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're doing great.
Speaker 3: But I did think of the other one because I said to only two main ones, probably Venmo. Oh yeah, but then I guess if other people are only getting three choices, maybe not everyone else is going to happen.
Speaker 1: But I think she's Venmo.
Speaker 3: I just think Venmo is like one of the best things ever.
Speaker 1: Next email says, don't same a name, so let's not okay, says I was totally disappointed and disgusted by the weight talk on the Minnesota Goodbye. What if there's a medical condition causing weight gain, Let's look at Sunny Lee. She gained forty pounds due to medical conditions and was able to come back and go to the Olympics. How flipping disappointing to say I wouldn't love my partner if they gained weight. You are assuming it is dude is sitting on the couch eating poorly. It could be due to health, physical or mental. The only person who made sense was Bailey, and you totally brushed her off. Sorry, guys, but not everybody is the Barbie body type you were making the ideal. Maybe don't talk about this anymore if you aren't willing to listen and hear other viewpoints. Still love the show. Okay, Well, I think there's a difference between a health weight gain and other weight gain. But here's what It's too divisive. So we're going to drop this topic unless I get emails that degree with me. Fair enough, If I get emails that agree with me, Dave, then I will read them.
Speaker 3: Well what well I was to say the two emails that we've had today on this podcast alone, I'm not gonna sit and say that, like I might be a little blinded by things, but like I did used to be a little bit more overweight, and I've gotten in shape, and probably not to the extent of having to lose one hundred pounds, but I've been through different phases of my life. But I did have that conversation with Andrew yesterday asking him how he felt, like what if I gained one hundred pounds, and he was kind of on the same side as me, but he did bring up the fact that health reasons could cause that, just like this person who just emailed then, so like I understand, Like yesterday, I feel like we were very narrowly talking about someone gaining weight from being lazy. I think and even that like happens to people. I'm just saying. I think I was just trying to say that that's just like not who I like started dating as someone who gained like would gain weight because they got lazy. That's where it would be weird to me to see Andrew gain one hundred pounds because I just don't think he would do that unless he became lazy, And that's like not the person who I fell in love with.
Speaker 1: I totally, I totally understand. I think that people want to hear certain things sometimes that we are not saying. But I will say that if Susan decided that she was no longer going to is she was going to Culver's twice a day, and she put on one hundred pounds, I'd be like, goddamn it, it's because you're going to Culvers twice a day. Now she got a kidney and and she put one hundred pounds of water weight, I wouldn't be like, how dare you get a kidney infection? Well, that's going to be a different deal. And it's just like me when I put on weight, I know it's because I've been to culvers twice a day or i had rib tips delicious by the way, So yeah, there's a difference between get weight gain of one kind and there's you know, I feel bad for people that have been like there's some people in my family that they are young and they're heavy. When I say young, I don't want to say how young and be specific, but they're young and heavy and they're always going to battle with that.
Speaker 3: I think that's true, right, And I'm very well aware that, like everybody is different and some people are more naturally skinny and stuff. And I like me saying that, like maybe I wouldn't be interested in Andrew if he gained one hundred pounds doesn't mean that I'm saying I don't like you if you're overweight. I think that, like on Bailey's terms, there are a lot of people I know that are in shape and they are what I guess medically a doctor would say is overweight, you know, but they're still in shape. And I think that that the most important thing is being healthy in the end is if you are healthy, then good.
Speaker 1: Next one that says, don't say my name. I love Bailey so much.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: But I mostly agree with Dave here. If you are clearly obese, respectfully, I really do think you are probably not so healthy on the inside. I'm certainly not obese, But when I track calories and movement really closely, it's no wonder I can't lose weight. I've tracked what I normally eat for a week, and I was unknowingly consuming so many extra calories, an influx of sugar and salt, bad fats, etc. I could lose weight. Walking with fifteen extra pounds was becoming taxing for me, feeling groggy all day. All that to say, it's really not hard to gain It's hard not to gain weight in the US well, all this shit they pump into our food. But awareness really is key. A lot of people don't know how deeply a consistent influx of calorie, sugar and saturated facts impact what happens inside your body and the long term effects it can have. With that, it's important to love your body at all stages, but love your body enough to take care of it. When it comes to partner weight gain. In marriages and long term partnerships, you agree to keep your partner's best interest top of mind, especially when they can't. If I gain one hundred pounds relatively quickly, I'm clearly not in the right state of mind or physical health, and would hope my husband would step in and make decisions on my behalf and push me a bit harder, because I clearly can't help myself right now, even if it's hard to hear. Same thing for mental health, if I can't get out of a deep depression, I would hope my husband would step in and get me the help I need, even if I don't want it. Love you all so much, the new crew is fantastic. Hope to see you at the fair this year. I think that's true. It's kind of like, let's make it not about food or mental health, but let's make it about drinking. Let's say that your partner is drinking four glasses of wine, maybe two bottles of wine a night. Well, of course, then you hope that you would step in and say you can't drink that much wine. You've got to get help, because for you to sit by and go, well, that's their decision. I would jump in and say you can't drink that much wine. And if I was drinking that much wine, I would expect somebody to say something to me too, can you remember? And seriously, if I came in like hungover every day and you guys are like, Dave smells like booze, he's been you know whatever, I would kind of hope maybe that one of you would pull me aside and say, Dave, we've noticed this spell like booze.
Speaker 3: What's going on? I would say, like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: Like are you okay? Because like that would be so out of characteristics for you that like it'd be a weird thing. And I just feel like something would be going on with you if you were coming in like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can I bring up something that's kind of a sidebar to this one. I know we're supposed to check on our friends' mental health, and I think I brought this up. I have a friend and I don't think they listen to the Minnesota Goodbye and I think we're safe. They ask me, how are you doing a little bit too much like everything okay with you, like once a week or so, and it's like, do I give off a vibe that something's wrong? And it kind of pisses me off a little bit because I appreciate being checked up on, But it's like, do I give off a vibe that something's wrong?
Speaker 4: Aly not just making conversation, No, because.
Speaker 1: They make fine conversation about other things, okay, And it's just nobody else asked me, hey are you doing okay? Like if I were to say to you Bailey via text, hey are you doing okay?
Speaker 2: Well, then I would consider the conversations that we'd had had had in the past and use that to contribute to me asking the question in the first place. So maybe this friend of yours is going off of things that you've said to them before, likely, and so then they're concerned about that, and they instead of asking you directly about that thing that you already talked about, they're gonna say, how are you?
Speaker 4: I think it's kind but.
Speaker 1: It's just a it's a little bit much. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. Is it a texting conversation texting conversation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel we've I don't know if it's the same person, but we talked about this happening recently with you and somebody. Yeah, Like I think you guys had gotten dinner or something, and they like straight up said like you seem not as happy or something and it did make you feel great, which, like in person, I think is different. I think texts. I just think text messages can be read so differently to different people. So I think it's hard to like determine what a text means.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe they're asking you because they want you to ask them, and they're a but I do.
Speaker 1: You know what? And I say, I, but this this person has had the best year. They found a great boyfriend, they've got a job they love, and everything is clicking for this person. And I text him as say god that she'll say something like this this this, I'll be like, God, you your life is going so great right now. So oh and she's doing fine. Okay, yeah, all right, moving on the next one. Don't use my name. Thanks for saying that upfront, because a lot of the time I don't catch that until later. Catching up on some minigos, soda goodbyes, and currently the one from August ninth where somebody wrote in about you ready about a masturbaitor on a ringcan footage and ask if you guys have ever caught anything and I had to write in this should be good earlier this summer. Over one weekend, my husband and I were guardenan at two am while watching TV. Now gardening is put in quotation marks.
Speaker 3: It means they're smoking weed.
Speaker 1: Oh is that what it is?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh, look at you, you pothead.
Speaker 3: We talked about this on the show before. I remember it was back when Drake was on the show, and we were trying to talk about it in a way that you could understand what it meant. You had to try to guess what it meant.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we hear our doorbell ring at two am. We went into a panic and froze. After a few minutes went by, we opened up our ring app to find the attached video in horror and I haven't watched it. We called the cops immediately and we were showed them the video. They recognized the guy who had apparently been all over Eden, Prairie and even Chaska doing this to multiple people. We never found out who or what he was up to, but heard from someone on the next door app that he was eventually caught and thought to be harmless, just to wacko. All our friends and family still joke about it. Regularly. We still can't get over it or help. But wonder what the hell he was doing. Now I'm gonna play the video and I will describe it to you. Are you okay with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see here's blood guts. Then no, hey, we have ring video. It comes up. He's wearing a hoodie and panties. You know he's wearing he's wearing he's wearing stockings, nylon stockings. He is a larger gentleman. He has got what looks like a backpack on and he is wearing. You this is clearly just a female undergarment, and he's and he runs off. Wow, he clearly had his junks tucked back too.
Speaker 3: Oh so so it was just nylons and no nothing else on top, something on it.
Speaker 1: Like a hoodie, kind of definitely almost naked. Oh and how violating at two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how weird.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a weird thing.
Speaker 4: It just walks up to the door just like do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is some problems. Thanks for sharing that one. And with that, we're going to end the Minnesota goodbye right now, and we will get you get your email on tomorrow. We didn't get to it send him into Ryan Show at KDWB dot com.