Speaker 1: You're listening to episode eighty one of game Spot after Dark. This week, Jared Petty, formerly IGN current podcaster, joins us to talk about the Nintendo Direct. Hello and welcome to episode eighty one of GameSpot After Dark. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Callie Plaguey. Hello, John Luke Saypke Hi and former IGN editor current podcaster extraordinaire Jared Petty.
Speaker 2: Glad to be here. Thank you all for having me.
Speaker 1: We're so glad you're here as well.
Speaker 2: It just is this warm and fuzzy feeling inside. I enjoyed the show, so I'm like, yeah, I get to be here's some kind of a narcissist. So I'm just like, yay validation.
Speaker 3: You know, I would never in a million years refer to you as a narcissist.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that doesn't sound like Jared the nicest.
Speaker 3: In the entire world.
Speaker 1: Jared Petty, I really do.
Speaker 2: Like crave like appreciation.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm terribly insecure, so it's like, oh people like me yay, like, which is not healthy in therapist that's a mood though, It's a mood totally. That's if there was ever a time for insecurity, now's the time. But right now we're here. Thank you all for having me.
Speaker 1: Anyway, thank you for joining. So normally we start this show off with what we've been playing, but since you're a guest and you have been on games Spout after Dark before, we start with the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment. Chris, that's a little jingle we've got. We we actually have. I've explained this so many times, but the community actually made us a song. But I like hearing the host still do that song, especially when like Lucy and Timore do it, because they never actually do it in sink and it sounds funny when I line it up. But you know, Chris. But anyway, the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment is basically just an opportunity for you to introduce yourself to our audience, tell them things about yourself, about your history with gaming, your experience with the industry, whatever you'd like to tell us. Honestly, I think the big things though, are some of your favorite genres and some of your favorite games.
Speaker 2: Excellent? Well, thank you for asking. I love talking about myself. Yeah, I'm old and I was lucky enough to be around for things like the Golden Age of arcades and cool stuff like that. So I fell in love with the video games when I was like two. When I was three, my dad got me An Atari twenty six hundred when I was five a home computer, and so I just took off playing games, and it's I've kind of been a grotesque man child ever since. However, this was never meant to be a career. I work in the games industry, but I didn't even start in the games industry until I was in my thirties. This was it was a hobby. It's something I love. It was for fun, and then I started writing for fun, got really lucky and landed a job at IgM after a few years, and now many many cycles later, I'm still doing game stuff right now. I do a thing called the Top one hundred Games podcast, which you can find it all your podcast services, where we bring guests on. Jakesbon on there, Call has been on there. We're gonna have to have John Lute now. But people come on and talk about their favorite games of all times. It's just kind of a passionate project thing and it's a lot of fun anyway, favorite genres, favorite games, out all, et cetera. I really am an eclectic game player. I like most kinds of video games, although I've never really been able to wrap my head around racing games and Pokemon's a weird blind spot.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, genre wise, I probably go to two extremes. One really simple two D platforming type stuff I really enjoy or Metrovenia, and then on the other side, crazy deep RPGs, things like Aang Band or anything that's one hundred and fifty hours long and unnecessarily frustrating, or Dwarf Fortress or stuff like that. So that's kind of the ends. I go on and favorite video game of all time Sid Myers Pirates, particularly the rare port for the nes in nineteen ninety, which is confinitive version of that game, the most important and best sandbox game ever made. A few other favorites with things like Mario three, but it's not just old game stuff. R DR two would be one of my all time favorites, for example, I absolutely adore that game. I think we're kind of living in a golden age of video gaming right now, and it seems every year brings us new classics. So yeah, that's a short, short thing. Does that cover the bases?
Speaker 1: I'd say so. I do want to give a shout out, though you did mention it, but to your Top one hundred Games podcast, because I think it is such a great idea and you get so many unique and diverse voices on that podcast just talk about some of their favorite games, and I think it's just it's really cool how sort of freeform it is. You don't really have like these are the games we need to talk about. It's just hey, what game is one of your favorites and what do you think fits here? I talked about Mass Effect, Kelly, you did Stardy Valley, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we've had folks on. It is fun because people get to come on and just talk about the games you're passionate about. These just friends, industry experts, people I like. I ate a very different, very very very different guests every week, and that's been part of the fun of it. We joke that it's the definitive Top one hundred games list of all time. It is, of course not that. What it is is really unique, unlike a curated list. You know, I used to be at IGN. We'd have to work together to build these lists. Y'all work at game Spot. You create curated lists. There's a lot of argument, there's a lot of push and pull and critical perspective. When you just bring one hundred different people on to talk about games they love and don't let them repeat, that's the only like rule. You get a very different kind of list. I think it's less critically strong, but in a weird way more fun and I've had a really good time with it. I didn't know how this was going to work out when I started. You know, I kind of half ass everything I do, So there's that end of it, but that's not it's not true out. Yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 3: I just want to give a shout out to Redemption two Game Spots Game of the Year twenty eighteen. Good pick, Jared. And one thing that I want to tell our listeners about you, Jared, is my first memory, my first time meeting you. You had just started at IGN and I was still a freelancer for IGN, and I was in the office to pick up i think a debug console back in the days where they would give you a whole PS three to review a game on. And you walked right up to where I was and you said, hi, I'm Jared, are you new? And I felt so welcomed and I was like, I wish I'm just here picking up a thing. And I just never forgot that because you were the only person who really took the time to welcome me that day. So then it was such a delight to eventually be able to work alongside you there.
Speaker 2: Yeah you were. You were hired only a few months after that, right, Kelly, it was. It wasn't that much longer after, was it.
Speaker 3: Maybe time is weird, but yeah, it was. It really meant a lot to me at the time, and I think that says a lot about who you are. So that's what I want people to know about you. When you're being so self deprecating.
Speaker 2: You're very I really and I enjoyed working with you there. I missed that. I miss it a lot. Uh you were a fun human being to share a office. Let me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could interpret that lots of ways.
Speaker 2: Well, I met it in the best possible fantastic. I love the reviews work you're doing now. I can tell you that I enjoy reading it, I enjoy watching it. You do amazing work, just among just anyway. You're great at what you do and that's that.
Speaker 3: We love friendship here at GameSpot after the.
Speaker 1: Game Spot Friendship podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but see Cally's given the good account where I'm like, hey, call, but she's not mentioned the part where I forgot who was the first like three times I'm had him. I'm sure he does remember I kept meeting Jake and forgetting who he was, which was just horrible in every possible way. That that happened too. Please don't hate me with too sweet a brush. Cal That other part absolutely happened, And that's for John and Luke. I haven't decided what I'm either going to really remember him and be nice humor completely forget him every.
Speaker 1: Time I don't.
Speaker 3: Those are the two Jared's You get my name helps.
Speaker 4: I feel like I have a unique enough name that people at least like remember that. They're like, oh John Luke, right, yeah, like the star trek Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He also we also met each other at bars at like in the evening and everyone was drinking and whatnot. It was in an hour and a half long podcast where we got to talk about games.
Speaker 2: There is that part too, You're right about that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, this is a video game podcast and we should talk about video games at least a little bit. So why don't we get to what we've been playing this week? Kelly? Do you want to start off? Sure?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm kind of a broken record at this point. I'm still playing a Persona five Royal getting pretty far along kind of like getting to the actual like new Royal stuff. So I'm pretty excited about that. I love the game so much. I wish that older woman wouldn't hit on you. But other than that, definitely ten out of ten GameSpot dot Com. And then, uh, I am always playing Animal Crossing. But an interesting thing that I've been doing as I started, I mentioned this I think last time I was on I started an Animal Crossing Instagram account and I found I have uncovered an entire world and it has been very fun. And this new thing that I'm trying is, uh, there's a user on the on Instagram. I was gonna say on Animal Crossing Instagram. It's not a different app or anything. But they have biweekly decorating like design challenges, so it'll just be like a pro and like, oh, here's like a color you have to use, items you can't use, an item you have to use based on this theme and so I entered for the first time for the University common room theme and it's been a while since I was in one of those, so I tried my best.
Speaker 1: It looks very good and people should follow your Inky Crossing Animal Crossing account.
Speaker 3: Thank you and shout out to Jaku did the editing on the photo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it turns out that key. I mean, there's like a whole animal crossing photo community that brings in their photos to light room influencers sell light room presets they got to use, you know, like yeah, well that's the thing, like you can't even get raw footage off your switch as is so or raw screenshots. I don't know, it was. It's tough to work with, but I find it so interesting that they're influencers who make light room presets and sell them. That is something I see, like I don't know, Peter McKinnon and other like photography YouTubers they're always trying to push and it's like, oh, yeah, I guess it makes sense for them to have that on animal crossing too.
Speaker 4: I'm picturing someone like bringing like they're capturing on like a showgun like inferno so that they can get it like the most raw like quality. They can get just the best.
Speaker 1: They're like twelve hundred dollars animal crossing screenshots set up.
Speaker 3: It actually is pretty intense though, because most of like the big name uh animal crossing people. Back in the day, we would call that a big name fan or a BNF, but I don't think anybody uses that anymore. But uh, they will always source what preset they used, and it'll be like lightroom preset by at and then like it'll be like animal Crossing two o two, you know, like somebody's like animal crossing user name and it's all like.
Speaker 1: It's this spring of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who will be like, oh, this is my uh pre set for CAF Specifically, it's called Moco late and it costs five dollars and I love it. I'm so here for it. But I get them for free because Jake has a light round.
Speaker 2: What are these? What are the essential elements of a great animal crossing screenshot? What goes in? I mean, what is our subject matter? What do we need to make sure is captured? What ambiance needs? Uh is is absolutely essential to a perfect animal crossing screenshot.
Speaker 3: That is a good question, I mean that is the eternal question, right, We're always chasing that white white whale here on the animal Crossing Instagram uh community, but I noticed a lot of uh, a lot of people editing specifically the saturation and the contrast, because uh, animal crossing as a game is pretty uh colorful in a more cartoony way. So a lot of the like really artsy designs, like people like one of the challenges a while back was like European restaurant, like make a European restaurant room, and a lot of those are like really like dark mood. Lighting completely changes the color palette. So that's a big part of the editing is people really want to either up the saturation of certain colors or like make the color palette more muted. And then there's a couple of different like predominant design themes. So a really big one, which I mostly see on Twitter now is like cottage core and it's just like a lot of like plants and like cottagy items strewn around an island. And then another big one right now is like Japanese rural or like Japanese city, so people will do like really like trash everywhere, like bit like bright lights, dirt roads, like people will make onsen outside and like do all this stuff. So my island theme is rural, but I'm going for like a driving through the middle of nowhere California kind of vibe orchards, lots of trash still, like like chain link fences, bus stop kind of stuff. But I guess I have a little bit of Japanese influence in there, because I got this like crazy fish market thing going on right now. But yeah, so depending on the esthetic you're going for, people will do different things. A lot of people will like, there's like a hack you can do for the Switch. It's like it invalidates your warranty to do it, so I wouldn't advocate for doing it, and I haven't done it myself, but it gives you full control of the camera. So some people take these like crazy impossible screenshots by hacking into the Switch camera. Wow's it's a whole it's a whole world.
Speaker 2: Can you make an Animal Crossing screenshots that look like a tool video?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope.
Speaker 3: If you try very hard, maybe or.
Speaker 2: Maybe like Moody Snyder cut promo images.
Speaker 1: Like oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was something like making movie trailers in Animal Crossing, like very shortly after it came out. I want someone to recreate that Snyder cut trailer that they just put out last week in an it's like.
Speaker 3: We live in a society, but.
Speaker 2: Exactly Tom tom Nook is Stefan Wolf.
Speaker 1: Jean Luke, what have you been up to?
Speaker 4: I'm checking out Bowser's Fury, which is the expansion, standalone add on thing that they included with the remaster of Super Mario three D World. It's a delight. It is maybe my favorite game of the year, even though it's like a weird add on thing, it's so good. It's for the who don't know. It's basically they're using like the assets of three D World, but unlike three D World, which is sort of like inspired by like two D Mario, but it's in three D. It has a fixed camera. This is like full on like Mario Odyssey style, like proper three D Mario. So and then it like is using like Mario Sunshine like elements, like you're picking up shines in this one, but everything's cat themed, so they're all like cat shines, and every enemy is is like a cat. I mean, I'm sure you've seen it. Like there's like the seagulls a cat, and the bushes are cats and the grass is literally cat for so it's all cat themed. It's wonderful, and it's just it's so darn good, like if you like, like uh man even know how to say it, Like it's just they've you get this like perfect bite size, like four to five hour like Mario three D experience that is just like I wasn't expecting to get, you know, because it's like Mariodysty came out, I think it was twenty seventeen, and then it's like, Okay, I'm not getting a new three D Mario for like ten years, and the Nintendo's like, hey, we just threw in this like mini three D Mario Adventure into this game, and it's it's so so well done, and they're like all the puzzles are they're just like experimenting with like new concepts and ideas. Something that makes it really unique is it's all one giant map, so instead of like you know, traveling to like a different location or like kind of going back to like an overworld, instead it's like you just hop on I don't know what he's called. He's that little dinosaur that you let see plusy pleusy yes, so you hop on plessy and then you just like ride over in the water to like the next island, and then it's like okay, you're in the next level, and then like that level has like five different shrines that you can go collect and you're kind of bouncing back and forth between them. It's just like classic like Peak Nintendo like good that just like came out of nowhere, Like I really wasn't expecting it, and I like could beat the thing in like a couple hours, Like I just marathon through it because I was having such a good time with it. It's if you like three D Mario, I like highly recommend it. I really wish they they so I get why they maybe didn't want to release it as like a separate thing because it is sort of a short experience and maybe they didn't want to set people's expectations or want to maybe didn't feel comfortable selling as its own thing. But like it's I wouldn't want to say, I don't know, it's like I almost want to be like it's worth getting the whole thing just to just to play that, Like a three D three D world is also fantastic, So if you haven't played that, I do highly recommend it. But even like if you've played three D World, then you were like, oh, I don't know about playing it again. I'm like, hey, the Basswards theory really really good Mario game.
Speaker 1: So I had no idea. It was like a I thought it was just extra levels for Mario three D World.
Speaker 4: What I thought.
Speaker 1: I figured that's it was until our video review. I watched it, and then I realized, oh no, this is a separate game, which is interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's basically a whole new thing.
Speaker 2: Is it the Odyssey engine and the obviously team do we know like it? When I saw the previews, it looked so much like Odyssey, the way that it was the characters were moving around. I wondered if we knew anything like that.
Speaker 4: I was trying to figure that out because I think, like the models are more like all the characters in the art assets feel like they're from three D World. Like Mario was like a little more simplistic. He doesn't have like the crazy like detail on his mustache the way he does in like Odyssey. But then you open up, like the map and like the map design and like the little like icons and UI look like straight out of Odyssey. And so it's like there's some weird fusion of the two going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our reviewer team though.
Speaker 4: I think it's maybe the same like development team that made Odyssey doing Fury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our reviewer had the same question. He's like, I it feels like the Odyssey engine, but we weren't sure. But regardless, I think Nintendo really said capboy Renaissance and then made this game they called that because catboys are everywhere on the internet right now.
Speaker 2: Baby, Yeah, I've got my copy already, but it's on my backlog because there's a few other things I'm working through right now. I really can't wait to play it. Odyssey is one of my all time favorite video games, and so the opportunity to play something that that's got that heart and soul beating in it, plus and in three D World's just an amazing game. Anyway. But when I saw the preview, I got really excited because I was like, was this DLC for Odyssey.
Speaker 3: That was cut?
Speaker 2: And I was like, no, maybe somebody went, well, we could sell it as DLC, or build this a DLC, or we could attach it to a WEU product give people extra value, and there's probably a chance that's going to get into more hands that way. Who knows what internal discussions went on there. I've been waiting for an Odyssey two or Odyssey DLC announcement for a long time that's actually level related. But I'm wondering if COVID maybe got in the way of that and this was a good plan to get around that. I don't know. I'm just happy to hear John Luke that that it's more good open world three D Mario because the people at Nintendo building those games right now understand how to build those levels like nobody I've ever seen video games. I'm blown away by how consistently good the quality of level design was throughout Odyssey. So I really can't wait to play this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. And it feels just like like it feels like it's a precursor to like an even better Mario game in the future. Like they like like it's it's good, like they everything. I think it's perfect. But on top of that, you look at like what they're doing with like the way it's like one seamless open world, and it's like they're they're messing with something that Like I feel like we could see a future Mario game where it's like you know, open world style Mario where there is no you know, like loading between different areas. It's just one continuous map that you go from area to area. Like, I'm super excited to see what that team does next after this.
Speaker 2: It's a super Mario world.
Speaker 1: That would be or they'd call it the new They call it new super.
Speaker 3: Nailed it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then very briefly I'll touch on the other thing I was playing, which is Destiny Too. This is my Destiny to minute to talk about Destiny Too, because I still play that game. They just put out a brand new mission called the Presage. I think that's how you say that, And it's maybe my favorite thing that they've put in that game so far. It's so good. It's it's really really good. So to set it up, Destiny has what they call like secret missions, which comes from the fact that they one time they just like put this mission in the game, didn't tell anyone, and people found it. This one not so much like it's it's kind of it's kind of easier to find it, and people figured it out right away because they knew it was coming. But essentially it's like these sort of more experimental missions where where they feel more like I guess, like a single player mission where you're kind of given this freedom to explore around, and they kind of mix in like puzzle solving and platforming with combat encounters. And so this mission, you are boarding a derelict ship that you need to like investigate because there's like a guardian who went missing, and it's got this fantastic atmosphere where it feels like alien and like dead space vibes where you're going through these like tunnels, like you're going through like the vents, and you're the sound design is like fantastic, where you're hearing the scratching and clawing, and you know there's like this horrible monster that you can't you don't know what it is. And then you're discovering like dead bodies and like this really like weird, like alien fungus that you've never seen in the game before, and it's it's so it's there's like this air of like mystery about it that it's just like a level of atmosphere that I feel like Destiny has a hard time nailing because it's a live service, like you're kind of meant to go through and just like repeatedly do it and You can play this mission with friends, but if you are to play it, I highly recommend playing it single player. Like I just had the headphones on and I was just like sucked in it. It reminded me of like Bungee at its best during the Halo franchise, Like like just the level of like atmosphere and level design, the combat encounters. There is a combat encounter because it's a ship. There's a combat encounter where you go to a hangar and that hanger looks straight up like the hanger from a Halo two at the beginning of that game. Like they they are just like pulling out all the stops of like all the tricks they've learned and how they've been making games, and it it feels like this is it's like the that's more of what I want out of this game. Like I like, I like Dustin quite a bit. I like kind of what it is, and I like it's social aspects, but like this to me is like maybe like the one of the best, Like Pure. It feels very old school in how you're like you're solving puzzles and they introduce like a mechanic and then you have to like, okay, I use this mechanic to get through these doors, and then they kind of slowly ramp that up and it kind of has like a half life quality to it where you're like, Okay, now I need to platform over here, and then incorporate that with the puzzle mechanic. It's just so good. It's like, oh, wow, this is what I want. I want more of this. Granted, I bet that took a really long time to make, so I don't know how much of that you're gonna get in the future, but I think it is fantastic. It's I don't know if i'd say, like everyone hop back into Destiny because if you know, if you if you left Destiny for whatever reason, like, it's still very much that game, but it's it's worth I think if you're somebody who really likes like like a traditional like bungeee style like single player like experience, it's worth checking out.
Speaker 1: Can I like, if I reinstalled Destiny after this and played it. When I build with a play it would have to grind like six hundred levels.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't have to grind six hundred light levels to grind a little bit. I think you also do need to own the current season Pass season thirteen to play it, so there's a little bit of a buried entry unfortunately, which I do think is a shame. They should just let people play that level just.
Speaker 3: For free, to be like, this is what we can do. I want to while we're on the topic of Destiny, I'm going to go to the Destiny names Twitter out because I saw one today that was really good and I just want to share it with everyone here. It was Drifters Little pug Champ. So that's still alive and well, I think I'm still weird Vex buto okay, and Destiny. But it's a bummer that it's hard to get into because that sounds incredible, Like, as you know, hearing the music from Halo makes me cry. I don't understand fully why that happens, but it does. And to hear that it reminds you so much of like Halo, like the highlights, like at its at Bunge's Peak. Oh, that makes me want to read download This game is so bad.
Speaker 4: It's got like flood vibes with like the horror stuff, and then the combat it's got like you know, like rinded me and fighting the elites. The music you mentioned music. The music's really good. It's just like, right, Bungee can make really damn good like shooters, Like they know how to make that stuff, and that game's kind of got such a the community. He's been sort of an uproar for that game recently. For got some baggage, got some baggage and the community's kind of had enough recently that I won't get into, but everyone is like, oh, this is very good. So like props to Bungee, like they still know how to make some some damn good video games.
Speaker 1: Jared, what have you been playing?
Speaker 2: You don't have to bounced around between a couple of things. I mentioned a backlog earlier and not getting to Bousards Ferry yet, but that's because I've been distracted by a couple of things. First, for some reason, some wonderful human being took four very good old video games I love that haven't been over reissued, you know some It's weird how reissuing classic games work. Some of them we get thirty times, say any Natato first party game practically, and then others we never get. And this is one of the later ones there are. These four games are are from a series called Turriken which isn't gonna mean a lot to I think most Americans, but was a huge deal in the sixty four Amiga scene and in Britain in particular. I kind of wish Lucy were here for that one, because she would almost certainly have heard of Hurrican. Has anybody ever played a Hurricane game?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we hear we hear it gas but after dark have heard of that because of a little video called Update Day. Our audience knows all about that, and that is featured in an excellent song. If you haven't watched it, Jared, I highly recommend it.
Speaker 2: I think I've completely missed this and I'm sad about it. Okay, Well, I've been playing turik In again, and particularly Terrikan two, which of the four is the best one. It's based on the Amiga port. It's a straight emulation year, as I can tell, but they've done wonderful things. One of the problems with the Amiga is it had a one button joystick, which, if you're really, really, really really lucky, you could upgrade to a two button through arcane and frustrating means, but most people were forced to play with one button. In the shooter Turikan two short version is kind of Metroid meets Contra. It's like at the shooty feel a Contra with lots of weapons, and it's really fast and colorful with some of the exploring stuff for Metric, and they fit together really well. I've been playing turk in too. It's even better than I remember, and with a modern controller it's a delight. So this packet, all four Turkey games are good that are in the packet. Two is the definitive one. You gotta play. It's thirty bucks, I think right now. I bought mine on PS five. Can't recommend it enough for people who want to play an absolutely superb like side scrolling shooter that they haven't played before and one of the really best in the business. And at first you're gonna be like, what's the deal? Once you start figuring out how all the weapons work, the fact that you can turn into a Samas bull chainsaw blade forever and bounce around levels like sonic mowing things down, it's great. It's a really wonderful game. So that's a quick mention. I so recently I went back to western North Carolina where I grew up, and I'm going to be here for a while. Kind of hiding from from COVID. I figured if I was going to be an isolation, I would do it in a beautiful place where I could take walks up forest, mountain sides and stuff. So I we're actually expecting an ice storm tonight, so hopefully the power doesn't go off hearing this. But that got me. I've been spending all of time in tranquility. I'm literally living on a farm right now, and I pulled Breath of the Wild back up. I'm like, real world tranquility is not enough, and I did I did it, y'all. I took that single save file, that one safe file, and I erased it and started over. And it was totally the right call because we discovering that game from the bottom. People talk about how well it said, it's set a good precedent, but it's kind of an empty world, and the emptiness is the point. That game is Zeldom mine Craft. It is a tranquil trip through a big, empty place with no noise, and I love it and it's even better than I remember. I'm going to stop talking for a second so other people can talk about how great Zelda is, and if anybody disagrees, then I'm going to drop off the call.
Speaker 1: Well, I think with Breath of the While, how you mentioned how it's kind of supposed to be empty, it's supposed to feel empty and open a little bit, and I love that as well, especially coming off like so many Ubisoft games, even something like Cyberpunk, where your map is just dotted with all these things. It's like here, go do this, go do that, Go do this, go do that, and you turn on Breath the While or even Read Dead to a lesser extent, and it's just like, oh no, the world itself is what's fun to explore. I'm not exploring the world because I'm going to a point. I'm exploring the world because I want to explore it. It's just that natural sense of exploration, which is which many people have talked about at length about how great it is. But I still it's still definitely the highlight of that game for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was to bring up Cyberpunk as just the complete opposite, because I think the criticism that Breath of the Wilds world is empty is just well, it's not specific enough. And if I were if you submitted something to me, I would probably ask you some questions to help you tease out the real root of your issue, because I don't think more content means more better. I think that uh, you know, Cyberpunk really is is the perfect example of how superfluous, unnecessary activities dotting the world that have nothing to do with your character or your mission or anything can detract from the experience and can overwhelm. And I think, you know, Breath of the Wild, like, the world doesn't feel empty to me in the sense of that critique, because I was always just like one more, I'll just go one one more like to the next thing, and then like four hours later, you're still playing because you can just follow those those curiosity threads as far as you want to take them. Like god, what a what a pitch perfect example of how to make an open world that feels organic and allows you to actually use your creativity to explore instead of using just the prescribed tools given to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to go off what you said about like Cyberpunk comparison, like that that's a game that has great stuff in it, but like the world does such a terrible job leading you to it's good stuff, Like there were I beat it recently, and like there were there are a couple quests that like I'd heard people talk about that I like wanted to do, but like I just had never come across it, and I had to like look up a guide for it. And it's because that game just like doesn't know how to like lead you to that stuff. Where like you know, Breath of the Wild, it's like it has all these little like perfect landmarks that you see that You're like, that looks interesting and I'm going to go there, and I bet that has something cool in it, And sure enough, it's something awesome there. Like they know how to design that. I think there's a term for it. It's like weenies or something. Weenies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it comes from theme parks. Theme parks are built with these visual cues to draw crowd certain directions. They call those visual cues weenies.
Speaker 4: That's what I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as somebody mentioned Red DA two earlier, and I think Red To two and Breath of the Wild have several things in common, but one of the most prominent is that in Red Dead two, the West is a major character in that story. Arthur's a major character, you know, Dutch is a major character, and the world is a character in Red Dead two. Absolutely in Breath of the Wild just as much, maybe even more so. High Role is the main character of that game. That's who and what you're exploring, and that's what I love. Also, I had forgotten again how much that game is a bunch of Zelda fan boys that also were really into Minecraft and Portal like that. That that is who made that game, Zelda fan boys that love Minecraft and Portal. And I am all about that because that that down to like the blue and orange puzzle colors in the temples, and I'd forgotten all that, just the very or the piano music and the empty overworld. It it's it's so marvelously referential in the gentlest possible way. And then finally this week, and I just want to evangelize this one real quick. I have been playing Celeste too, which I'm not making up, that's real. Okay, So it's called Celeste Classic two Lonnie's Trek. Do y'all know that Celeste began life as a Pico eight game, the original Celeste John's hair Okay, John PIKEO eight.
Speaker 3: It sounds like I don't John Luke's the resident knowing about stuff like that person.
Speaker 1: Really what I'm saying there, But okay.
Speaker 2: So Piko eight is a fake video game console. It is a standard for game design that simulates a video game console that never existed. It has a fixed resolution, a limited color palette, a limited number of sound channels, and a memory limit on how big a game can be, just like an old like nys or game Boy would have had. And it uses standard programming languages and standard tools, and anybody that's willing to spend the time and learn the scripting can make a Pikeo eight game. Not whether they can make a good one, that's a whole other can of works. Pikeo eight games are eminently portable. You can put them into HTML five for example, so you can play it on your phone or in a web browser. Ce Less started life as a Pikeo weight game about a girl bouncing around a cave, and some of the original puzzle elements that make into the story driven Celeste come from that pike oweight game. The team built on that and built the incredible, incredible narrative slash gameplay loop that makes Celestia special later on, but it was the same team well a few weeks ago surprise release in three days, they built Celeste too on the same Pikeo eight engine, and so far it's Celeste with a grappling hook. That's awesome. It's very well designed, it's unfathomably hard, and it's absolutely free. Anybody can play it. Plug your Xbox controller into your PC, load up a web browser, go play it. Same team, same creators, new character named Lonnie who's the center of things, new kinds of puzzles, and I just just play this game. It's great.
Speaker 1: Do you think do you think this might be a hint at.
Speaker 2: Sic too.
Speaker 1: For fun?
Speaker 2: I mean, they made it in three days, you know, But it's the same team. And I suspect that, in addition to being gifted artists, musicians and game designers, the creators to Celest also like money. So I think there's a very good chance that's less two or require it that's Celest two is a thing that will happen. Because I don't know about you, but if I see Celest two, I'm buying it on three different platforms. And also I suspect they have more stories to tell the story of Celest already so extraordinarily powerful. Why not build on it if you have the opportunity.
Speaker 3: But you know, especially especially given the creator speaking about how it's a trans store, but at the time of writing, the team didn't think of it that way because it was just so I don't know if you all have read that piece that the Celest creator did, but gosh, I wish that I had, like any more information about that to share so people can find this piece. I'm googling it very quickly.
Speaker 1: We can put it in the description if I remember, so people can take a look at it while they're listening or after if they want a little bit more context. Just cut me off. When you found it though, and you want.
Speaker 3: To, I thought it so. Yeah, So the creator, Mattie Thorson, did a medium post and the I'm loading it up right now, and the headline for that is is Madeline canonically trans? And you can read that for more information about the process that Maddie went through, because there was you know, a lot of speculation of about it, a lot of like why you know, there's so many trans allegories, why isn't it more obviously trans? And well, Maddie talks about that and the piece, but I wonder, you know, that's that's something that could be explored further, you know, in a sequel, of course, I mean it's the same, you know, the same way that the Matrix has always been a trans allegory, but it wasn't obviously about Transnis at the time of release because the creators weren't out yet. So it's kind of to me, like that's how I interpreted as a very similar sort of thing, where it's just like something that's in your heart. So that's something I'm excited to see if there's going to be more Celeste, I would I would love to see how that has evolved, because it really isn't an evolution that we were able to witness through the game.
Speaker 4: I love the idea of a piece of work that maybe doesn't make sense fully to the creator at the time, but they're just putting like what they're feeling and what's in their heart like on it, and then it's not until like years later that you look back on it and you're like, that's why I did it that way, Like that's why I love the idea of something like that. Like that it adds so much, like I want to go back in play so less now because like like it completely changes your perspective on that game, and like that the creators weren't even aware of like it was just in their brain, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it makes the art not that art where you knew the intent fully is not pure. But there's just something very like there's something very beautiful about the process of the creation of art when you think about it as a form of self exploration, where like by even by the end of creating it, you haven't fully reached the final stage of that exploration. I mean, there's lots of things where that can happen. Like I recently got diagnosed with ADHD, and then I was looking back on my life and I was like, oh, so those are symptom Like oh, that that's not a character flaw or trait or failing that I have, Like that was just me having ADHD and not knowing, And like it's interesting to look back on things with a new lens over time.
Speaker 1: That does make me want to go back and play Celeste and honestly just whatever they have planned next, because even if it's not Celeste two, I'm sure whatever they do is going to be excellent. And I hope it has a grappling hook as well, because it sounds like that's a pretty cool addition.
Speaker 2: Well, this is like the most accessible thing in the world. I mean, you load up the map mixed games pikeoweight site, it loads it about three seconds and you're playing. So please try the Celeste Classic two because it's it's pretty darn dope. And the puzzles they've created around the grappling hook already, like in the seventy two hour game, I can't fathom what they've come up with in a full fledged product.
Speaker 1: I'm going to check it out. I have been playing Valheim and not even playing Valheim as well. Speaking of big open world games that are very peaceful, Valheim is definitely one of those. I have been having a pretty good time with it. I feel like so many people have talked so much about this game in a very short period of time because it kind of just took Steam and Twitter and the Internet and YouTube and whatnot by storm. But it is a very very good survival game. I think it trims down a lot of the fat that kind of held back some of the I don't want to say that not as good ones, but maybe the more intimidating survival game, something like Russ for example, which I talked about a couple weeks ago, that I had jumped in do and tried out. This feels so much maybe not better designed, but so much more approachable, And part of that is due to the fact that you're it's a more cooperative environment as opposed to a PvP environment, although you still can do PvP. I haven't done it yet because you don't want to do that or I don't want to do that. But I think one of my favorite things about it so far is that it's very good at setting goals for you, Like there are personal goals that you can set, like, oh, I want to go over here and build a giant Viking house because I think that would look cool on this hill. But there's also bosses that you need to destroy. There's certain areas of the map that they're not necessarily gate like level gated or anything, but there are certain areas of the map that are clearly more dangerous and if you head there without the proper equipment weapons, you will get your ass handed to you. So it kind of I don't know. I feel like it's one of the few survival games I've played since maybe The Forest, where there has been a conflict that I am trying to deal with that I didn't create myself. It's not like, oh I got to survive the rain or survive hunger or whatever, like simple things. It's like actual, somewhat story related obstacles that I need to a defeat. In that aspect of it, I really like. So I'm I'm having a good time with it. I'm excited to see what's next. Apparently there's some there's a lot I still haven't seen, which is also another reason why I like it, because I feel like a lot of the survival games you can kind of you run out of surprises a little sooner than you'd hope, Like you always think there might be something cool, and then you get there and it's like, Nope, it's just more forests that I can chop down. But I mean, I'm just one who liked likes those games anyway. But yeah, I think Valheim's very special and I'm excited to see what happens with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean for me, it's like I like how it kind of strips away some maybe the frustrations that like like a rust is like that game is like brutal, you know, Like that game is like so hardcore. It's like the extreme other end where like you have a hunger meader in kind of in Valheim, but it's like it's just like there to kind of boost your stamina, Like they strip away a lot of like the survival mechanic elements where there's no stress around that, and then like the music is.
Speaker 1: Just so peaceful and the lighting is gorgeous.
Speaker 4: Lighting is gorgeous, and it's got this like Boca depth of field that like just when it hits right, you're like, oh, man, like so you just like it it. You kind of just have a good time just like wandering around and like enjoying yourself, and then you go into like the black Woods and it like gets all creepy and like the lighting changes, and yeah, I think that game just like has an atmosphere to it that other survival games don't quite have, with the exception of maybe the Forest. I think the Forest is like the closest because the Forest is probably the other only like survival game that I like truly liked. Most of them, I like kind of fall off pretty quickly, like this is another one where it gives me the same vibes as the Forest, although the Forest is actually very intense and stressful in the way.
Speaker 1: That this is not. They both just give the player objectives apart from just surviving, yes, which which I think is also much needed for me, Like I kind of need like a some sort of goal to keep me going Otherwise I just sort of lose steam with those kinds of games pretty quickly. I will say, the best thing, my favorite thing about Valheim, and this sounds really stupid, but I love it, is the fact that you can repair your equipment for free. You don't need wood to It's so nice to walk up and just hit a button and it's repaired. Like it sounds really stupid, but I cannot stand that when you have something about to break and then you go and it's like, no, you don't have the materials you need to fix it, and it's just like come on, please no.
Speaker 2: I mean the contemporary survival genre that we owe I guess most recently to Minecraft and Daisy is still I mean, we're just now reaching that level of maturity where we're looking at at the equivalent of like health pickups in an FBS versus regenerating health, Like quality of life is beginning to happen, and that's really really exciting. You're actually selling me on this. I have been thinking about getting into it. The one question I have for both of you is I don't I hate other humans in my survival games.
Speaker 1: You can play by yourself.
Speaker 2: Am I okay by myself? And okay, great soul, thank you. Other people stay out of my survival game. I don't mind you. Let me join my wilderness. Go away.
Speaker 1: I initially I was saying I probably wouldn't play Valheim by myself, but the more I think about it, I think I probably would. I don't know if i'd play it as much, but I still definitely would, just because it is a very relaxing and meditative game, like Breath of the Wild or Red Dead in that sense. And and it just it looks stunning, Like the design of it. The style of it just looks incredible, especially like early mornings, late at nights when you've got like the blues on one side and like the warm sun on the other, and the way they blend together and light just comes through the trees. It's it's great. And the music too in the fog, yeah, just very atmospheric. The world's also like absurdly absurdly massive, like I was exploring for We've been exploring for hours in our server, and I zoom out and it's just like a planet sized area to explore, and it's like, oh, there's there's a lot here to dig into.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a Jared Ask game. I need to.
Speaker 1: I think you'd like it even if you don't get hooked. I think you'd still enjoy it.
Speaker 2: For what it is. I like survival games, and I like chill games, and I like big open worlds. It sounds great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. Anyway, Let's move on to the big topic of the week. All right, and we are back with topics or should I say topic, because the Nintendo Direct just happened and that's all we're going to talk about. There was a lot to talk about. I think we're just gonna stick with the bigger announcements, so things that hadn't been announced previously, as well as some specific games that those of us here want to call out. But if there's no opposition, I can just go through these chronologically and we can say our piece on them. If there's anything we want to say at all, Yeah, go for it, sure, all right. First thing, Pirate from Zeno Blade Chronicles Too is coming to smash. Thank god, it's not Rex. That's all I have to say I love.
Speaker 4: That trailer because I was good trailer. I'm like, is this a like a DLC DLC like they already did one, like is this a Zeno Blade Chronicles too?
Speaker 3: Like what is this?
Speaker 4: And then it was just like, oh, it's oh, it's smashed. That was actually it got me.
Speaker 3: It was the most Oh go ahead, Jared.
Speaker 2: I'll just spinning around with the envelope and the seal that was adorable. That was really really really well done.
Speaker 3: Was that the most involved DLC trailer so far because they like had full voice, like like they've done special cutesy things before for the trailers, like you know, like Isabelle or whatever, but I felt like that was the most involved one they've done.
Speaker 4: They've gotten so creative, like the Joker one is still so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Joker one, though, that came to out of left field though. I think that's why. But I think that's why this one was good too, is because I wasn't expecting a smash character reveal.
Speaker 4: I think the suffer Off one was like recreated like the whole fight scene from Advent Children, Oh yeah, which I've never seen, but people were very excited about that. So I was like that's cool.
Speaker 3: I have seen Advent Children. Never played a Final Fantasy game. Though.
Speaker 4: My old memory Advent Children is going into my local cyber cafe to play some games with a friend. H yeah, right, but a sentence, Oh I love it. And they had like it was like mostly PC's, but they had like a corner where they had like a TV and a couch and there were just a bunch of people watching Advent Children on that team. And I was like, all right, you guys, go, you know what have you seem like having a good time just watching Advent Children at the cyber cafe.
Speaker 1: I rented it at Blockbuster. I watched it. I don't remember it, but I to Blockbuster and picked that out for some reason, even though at the time I had also never played a final Fantasy game.
Speaker 2: It sure is a final fantasy film. I you know what it sure is. If you're gonna watch a final fantasy movie, I figure you should watch you should watch the one that Alec Baldwin is in. I mean that's where my mind is the what now, Yeah, the Spirits Within. I heard the theatrically released final Fantasy movie, The Spirits Within, starring Alec Square.
Speaker 1: I'm just picturing him with like Cloud's hair.
Speaker 2: I believe with a I don't remember unfortunately, the digital thespian's name, but they actually try to create a digital actor as well for that movie. If I remember right, someone that would appear in multiple features. I think it was at Aki Ross. Was was that the name? Am I remembering this right? Or am I getting mixed up? Now? I feel like I've stepped I could be mixing up ancient Sega Saturn more with this, but I think it was a Ross. I'm would have furiously google someone else. Please talk.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think my big hope with this character is that do something similar with Oh it is that? Is it?
Speaker 2: The character's name is doctor a Kei Ross. Indeed, yes, and I believe she was intended to appear in other movies.
Speaker 4: If I'm remembered, so, she was going to be like the sid of their movie Universe.
Speaker 2: I again, I feel like I'm overstepping my bounds here, but I think that this was the idea. Yes, I'm pretty sure that this is like a digital actor kind of thing. But yeah, go back and watch The Spirit Within because it's it's not good, but it's it's got some Really, it's about like space ghosts and guy in his gayism and it's cool. Yeah, not not coast to coast that would be oh my gosh. Hbo maxis all of space coast coast to coast, and I be happier. That's that's a whole other thing. We're talking about video games and Google achi Ross some more.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that I hope they do something similar like they did with Sephroth, where you can unlock Pirate early if you beat it in a fight. I thought that was a really cool mechanic that I hope they do more of. But I guess canonically it probably doesn't work as well as seph Roth since he was a bad guy and he was like challenged me or whatever.
Speaker 3: But my favorite thing about this trailer was because it was at the very beginning. My role during these kinds of events is to do like editing after stories have been published, so I didn't have anything to do yet. So I was watching it and I get a text from Jake's Jake that's like surprised they didn't nerf the boobs, and I had the exact same thought, because they were really There's one part part of the reveal where they're kind of like right in your face. And I think it's interesting because Nintendo did a lot of butt nerfing, but apparently not boob nerfing. So I think we all know what that says about them. All I have to say about that.
Speaker 2: Achy Ross Updates found an old New York Times article where Tom Hanks is expressing his worry about how digital actors may This is from the year two thousand and one, remember, and Tom Hanks is a little worried about what the threat that digital actors have for conventional actors. Wow, this is just a thing to see. Okay, polar express.
Speaker 1: Character.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, he was. Oh now we've got Robert Zimcha's talking about it here in the article. Okay, you know what, I need to be on a podcast and stop obsessing. There was a discussion that where like butts or something going on.
Speaker 3: A minute, I finished my thought. I just you know, it was just a little observation that I.
Speaker 1: Made Mario Golf Super Rush another Mario Golf game. How does that make y'all feel?
Speaker 4: I remember really being into a Mario Golf game on the Game Boy Advance. That's it. I played a Mario Golf game years ago.
Speaker 1: The Mario Golf Teams was pretty fun. I've played most of them, actually, and I'm oddly excited for this one. Not like I can't wait to play it, but it's definitely something I will be picking up because I feel like when Nintendo does these sports games, they're always good enough, but then they have that Nintendo charm that makes them more enjoyable. And that Golf Rush mode sounded kind of cool where you are playing golf with other people in real time instead of like taking turns, and I like the idea of it, you know, shooting your shot and then running as quickly as you can to the hole rather than cut two your character being already set up. That sounds kind of neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the four player chaos that that likely institute in the game, that alone, I think it's worth trouble. There's there's an old The Tory seventy eight hundred game called Ninja Golf. It was an exclusive on the platform, one of the only exclusives to ever come to that doomed console. Ninja Golf is a game where you're a ninja playing golf. You hit a ball in a classic like standard golf game, and then it turns into a side scrolling brawler where you fight your way through ninjas and monsters to the next like to where the ball is. Then you pop back and hit the ball towards the hole again and keep doing that. You get to the green where you fight a dragon, and then you put the ball in the hole. And I really like seeing this kind of playful, energetic four player take on golf where we're all rushing forward, no one's wasting time, but there's some blueeshell elements and waste the screw with the leader that'll make it fun. I cannot wait to play this. The Mario Golf games are consistently excellent all the way to back to like ANYS class or any s open way back in the day in the late eighties early nineties, but also Nintendo and Jeremy Parish just done some really interesting research around this. Nintendo's Golf is one of the most important golf video games ever, the one that goes way way back to the early eighties. They kind of invented that whole golf like hit meter thing we use. That was Nintendo's idea. They revolutionized golf video games and sort of created the standard that like thirty five years later was still using. So I have a feeling this is going to be a great video game and I can't wait to play it. I real life golf I couldn't care less about. But if Mario is involved and Nintendo's involved, I am in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited. I played a lot of the three DS one, I played a lot of the GameCube one, Nintendo sixty four and whatnot? Was there one for the Nintendo sixty four? Orm I think Mario tennis.
Speaker 3: You just thinking you might be thinking Mario tennis. I have always been more.
Speaker 1: Think of tennis. Yeah, I don't think I played one on sixty four, but I played one on GameCube. I remember that for sure, and because that was the last console and they were talking about because the said the last one was like two thousand and three. But anyway, I'm excited for that. No More Heroes three, Jean Luke, I'm excited for that.
Speaker 4: I love No More Heroes. No More Heroes is so weird and out there. This they're finally making a third one after they did Travis strikes Back. I think it's what it's called. I can't remember. I always say it wrong, which was kind of like a weird in between like co Opy Arcadie style game. It was very it played very different. This is like proper No More Heroes. They're bringing back like the weird So in the first game, you would be like doing these assassin fights and you would have to like raise money, so you'd have to go like do like meaning like side jobs where you'd like most someone's lawn or like you know, do stuff like that to like earn money to go do the next fight. And they took that out of two and kind of streamlined it. But I actually really liked that stuff. I thought it like added a lot of charm to the game. So they seem to be me that stuff back will also just like ramping up the insanity of it. So I have a very soft spot in my heart for No More Heroes. So I'm very I'm very excited for that game.
Speaker 1: Jared, do you have any experience with the No More Heroes games?
Speaker 2: I do, and I'm a big fan of Grasshopper Manufacturer's kind of weird, wacky approach to game making. They can they can sometimes have some truly bizarre conclusions, but I do wish that they're generally speaking, trying something new, and I think the number of Heroes games are solid, I think, especially two, which irons out a lot of the issues with one, and so I think that this could be a third times the charm situation. I'm actually really, really really looking forward to it. It's a it's a mature series, not in the rated M for mature way, but in that this has been worked on and refined and gone back to again and again. It doesn't take itself seriously. It's about lightsaber fighting. It's hard to go wrong with that.
Speaker 4: It's also rated M in the mature way as well. Yeah, yeah, no, I agree. I I like mechanically like I think two is great, although I I like the story aspects of of one more and I think you Suda wasn't as involved in two. But like, if you haven't played that, the Travis strikes Back, it's a I don't want to call it a great game, but it's like a it's a weird, weird game that's like this basically like an allegory for like Suda's career, and it's like like the whole thing is like Travis is like wrestling with the idea if he wants to go back and like be an assassin again. And it's like clearly like a stand in for like Suda, like if he wants to actually make it No More Heroes three, it's such a weird, weird thing as like a like an art piece almost and and and I want I want to see more of that bizarre energy brought in the into No More Heroes three. So I'll I don't like every suit of game, but I'll always try. I always try to suit a game.
Speaker 2: That's where I fall. I got to spend almost an hour interview Anym once and one of the takeaways from that we spent almost the entire time, it turned out talking about his company band and about Fire and progress like those were the two times. Yeah, like most of the time, like he wrote one of the Fire pro games back in the day. And yeah, he's any but you get the impression from a lot of his games that he's going to be this just complete up his own button narcissist. He's just the most like laid back dude. And I really do appreciate that he makes these kind of mid level, mid tier art piece video games that are what he wants them to be and hit or miss. The industry needs that and needs people like him. So I really like this games coming out. I can't wait to play it.
Speaker 1: Next we have probably the winner for the worst title I've seen in a long time, Project Triangle Strategy.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? That's a great name. I hope they don't change it. They shouldn't title. They should go with that.
Speaker 1: You know what they're gonna do, because they did this with Octopath Traveler. It was called Project Octopath Traveler and then they dropped the project and called it Octopath Traveler. So they're going to drop the project. It's called Triangle Strategy, which I don't know if that's an improvement at all.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: That being said, though, I'm excited for this game. I had a chance to play a little bit of the demo before we started recording, but I have a lot of time, so I didn't get to see much. But what I saw was really cool, Like it seems like Final Fantasy Tactics. But with that, with what with the style that Squannix has been doing for these Nintendo Switch games like Octopath Traveler or, to a lesser extent, Bravely Default, which comes out later in the month. You guys excited for that one.
Speaker 3: It's a real Jake game.
Speaker 4: It's real Peter Brown sounding games.
Speaker 1: I want to know what Peter Brown thinks of it.
Speaker 4: I want to know that too. I never played it Octopath Traveler, but I I have been meaning to try it because it seems like a game I would I would quite like. And I've also never played Final Fantasy Tactics, and that's also a game I've been meaning to play. So maybe I'll play this and then go play Tactics or play Tactics in this I should just try. I should try one of these games at some point, because they seem like they'd be up my alley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't don't wait, don't sit on Tactics. Go find a Go find Worth Alliance which has the better translation, and play it. It's it's really worth your time. People love to say this is the Game of Thrones of video games, or the Game of Thrones or this, but like Final Fantasy Tactics actually is game of Thrones. It really is, like long before that those scripts were written. It's just this machiabellion. Every hour someone's betraying, somebody betraying somebody thing. And but it's also a superbly implemented combination of a good tactics game where your decisions really matter, and a great job system game where you can have a lot of fun twing your characters and breaking the game in interesting ways. Tactic teams are kind of a rare and precious subgenre. We get x Calm, we get Final Fantasy Tactics with the incredible Tactics Ocre Let Us Clean Together, which I don't think got nearly the love it deserved, and it's probably still the best tactics game ever made that came out only about five years ago. I think I really want to play this. Square has more hits than this is in the tactic space, So pretty excited about it and these games. The thing about tactics teams that I think people miss is they are way more accessible usually than they seem. They look complicated and dull and hard to get into. But you'll have played fire Emplum, right, I mean, yeah, that's what this is. It's fire Emblum's just growing out of that same stream. Oh jeez, my brain went dead.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I mean you sold me on the concept because I actually I think I was editing something when this went up. Why I didn't really see the trailer. But I do really like tactics games. I'm kind of like newer to that genre. But I'll I don't know, I want to look for like like I'm looking for new ones, but I'll probably play fine Fantasy Tactics first.
Speaker 2: Have you played Into the Breach? That was what I was trying to.
Speaker 3: Oh, Into the Breach is so good?
Speaker 1: There is excellent. Yeah, that was almost that was That was one of our top games whenever that came out. But it was very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I can't recommend enough. If you can get your hands on an old Vita, go dig up Tactics over let Us Clean Together, which is the final Fantasy Tactics team getting the band back together like fifteen years later and making a new game, and it's Final Fantasy Tactics too, and it's better in every way. It's it's incredible.
Speaker 3: I do have a Vita.
Speaker 2: There you go. Tactics over all?
Speaker 1: Right? Uh Neon White, Jared, you added this one? You you want to to talk about it? It looks pretty cool. Based on the trailer, it looked like a very fast paced first person shooter with a unique style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was excited about this. You know, you've got people like, Hey, I'm doing heavenly stuff. We're up here in the heavens being an assassin, so that's just video game stuff whatever. But the card thing looked neat. But then I happened to see a name as it was flashing the end, and that changed my entire opinion. That name was Ben Esposito. Yeah, that's right, this is a ben Esposito game.
Speaker 3: I had no idea I missed that. I missed that part. This is the first I'm hearing of that.
Speaker 1: Now I'm si the.
Speaker 2: Guy ad Donut County. This is dude that was on Edith Finch. This is I mean, just like, I am in this. Dude can do no wrong up to this point and when it comes to video games, so does not miss Yeah, please continue O jump in, tell tell them all.
Speaker 3: About Oh I'm really excited because I completely missed that it was benice Posito. But I love Edith Finch. I think Donut County is freaking cute. I love that raccoon.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting that you know his oubra if you will, includes both a very just like just humor focused kind of game and then Edith Finch. So yeah, now I'm like, now I'm in on this one. Thanks for adding it, because I absolutely I was. I was in the middle of editing something else and I did. I would not have found that information again. Probably it would have been lost in the news ether.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really lucky. It just jumped. I was just like, I was looking to see who made this because I thought it was an interesting idea. I was like, that's been this, and I went back and actually scrubbed through that. I was like, yep, holy crap. So I was like, yay, So yeah, I think there's a better better chance than not this is going to be a pretty good video game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely looks interesting. I'm excited for that one as well. And then you also added the Famicom Detective Club.
Speaker 2: Okay, fancy.
Speaker 1: That. Oh.
Speaker 3: I was so excited. Multiple people messaged me and they were like, you pumped. I had a moment where I was watching the trailer and I was like, is this the murder mystery series that was riffed upon in Dongan Rapa two? That is Twilight Syndrome. I was incorrect, but I'm still very excited because I think that era is really interesting. I think that the way that it has been recreated, like in the art style, like all of that looks really great. I'm just I'm here for it. I'm so here for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really excited for it too. That Yujikri is you know, we've heard of him from Dragon Quest, but he's an even bigger deal in Japan than he is hearing, Like, he's the kind of person you see him on television, you know who he is there, like everybody recognizes him. And dragon Quest music is in like talk shows, well at least once a week if you're watching some channel in Japan, you're gonna hear dragon Quest music in the background. But he's responsible not just for console ARPGs as we understand them today. He also made before dragon was again called the Portopia Serial Murder Project or Portopia, which is kind of the og visual novel that created this whole uh the dating zim visual novel genre, or the Dengan rampas and all this that we understand today. In Japan, it was a bigger deal. It's becoming morewin right now. But we wouldn't have things like how to Foot Boyfriend if it weren't for youg Hori, and we wouldn't. And Famicom Detective c Love is Nintendo's early riff on the Portopia idea to give you an idea how important this is for storytelling. You'll find Portopia references hidden in Metal Gear games because Kojin is just crazy about it, and it deeply influences the way he thinks about storytelling, this deep, deep story where your investigation helps make the world more clear around you through a series of what Horry thought about as interacting with the computer at a time, you know, having a conversation with a computer at a time when that didn't seem possible. He simulated that effect. The Famicom games tie into that. You know that there are fan translations at least of a Famicom Detective Club to the Sneesport that came later, and that's fine, but now they're accessible. And this is wonderful little slice of history that shows for so many of the games that we left today. If you've ever dated anybody in any dream daddy, if you've ever gone out with a pigeon in a video game, this is where it all kind of began. So that's why I'm excited about it. There's my rant about Factor Club.
Speaker 3: See, you are so much more knowledgeable than I I was, just like, well, murder, I love it. Let's go and you were like, oh, it has this long history and it's actually a valuable thing to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this gives us some insight into it. I've tried to stumble through uh Famicom Detective Club in Japanese, and my Japanese is just not good enough. But in Japan these have a nostalgia to them. If you play at the games Center, do you know that game Center X games? So there are these. Okay, so Jared goes on a tangent jake shooting me down if I'm killing it. No, no, no, we love it all right, So the game there's two of them, the Game Center c X games, or there's three now technically, but we're not going to count. The third came back. They are these video games. One came out in America about being a kid in Japan in the early nineteen eighties and every month you've got you've got a Famicom or something like a Famicom, and every month you get a video game magazine in the mail, and every now and then your mom and dad buy you a new video game, and you're playing these mini games that are evocative of Japanese classic video games, the same ones we grew up playing. But they're polished and refined for modern sensibilities, and they're full of secrets, and the virtual game magazines you get in the mail have like secrets you can look up like old Nintendo powers, the unlock new things and find hidden games, and it's this wonderful kind of combination of storytelling game and a retro throwback and a bunch of good mini games. The second one of those, which never came to America, is full of these Famicom to Detective Club games, like parodies of them, And we never got that in America because we don't have that nostalgia. But for millions of former Japanese kids the same age as as the people who are playing those, this is every bit as wonderful as getting a new Super Mario game. That's another thing I think is cool if we're getting to touch in other culture's like special cultural experience, to get even more of an understanding of what video games mean to a country that's had so much to do with how we enjoy them here in America today. Okay, that was a long time.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, absolutely, Kelly, the's next tour for you.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, let's go. So the first one is World's End Club. That's an interesting one. I have it on iOS, but the entire game is not on iOS, but it's by the Duncan Robe creator and the Unfortunately, I think the direct actually did kind of spoil the early game twist. If you've played Donkan Rampa, which you know now that the direct. If you've you're listening to this and you've seen the direct, oh, well, like it's not that big a deal. But I was like, oh, I thought it was interesting when I was playing, because you start out, and they showed this in the direct. You start out doing this a similar murder game that you'll see in Donkan Rampa where you're like trapped underwater and you have to do this killing game thing. But then the killing game is ended prematurely and you go up to the surface in Japan and discover that everything's weird. The controls kind of stop me from playing it, uh too much after that point, because I was just playing on my phone and that wasn't really working great for me. So I'm I'm excited to give it another shot on Switch because I think it'll be a little bit easier. There's some kind of like combat esque sequences that just weren't working for me with a touchscreen, but I I want to experience more because I think Uh Coustaka Kodaka, who's the creator Donan Rampa Go, always got a trick up his sleeve really, like when I interviewed him a couple of years ago, like he I asked him like he basically said that he makes games that he would want to play, and I kind of asked him why, and he like, so, what do you think of the people who like them? Because he was describing himself as like weird. He's like, I'm weird and I make games that I like to play. And I was like, what do you think of all the fans, Like where you expecting them? And he was like, I don't consider them fans. I consider them knock him up. And I was like, hell yeah, and I know what knackama means. And I think the translator uh just said like friends, and I was like, no, kindred spirits, comrades in arms. It is deeper than that. So I want to give it another shot because I have faith that.
Speaker 4: There's more to it.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It didn't quite work for me on Iowa. I'm excited to try it on Switch and.
Speaker 1: Then Animal Crossing Keli and then.
Speaker 3: Animal Crossing, which I will call you out right now, was not on the list until the middle of this podcast, so I forget what order it actually came in in the presentation. But obviously we were expecting the Mario stuff to happen, like that has been announced for months, and I, you know, I knew that there would be certain you know items like the question block and the you know, the mushroom and the shell because the Mario furniture series has been an animal crossing since the beginning. But what I was not ready for was fast travel via warp pipe. That absolutely fucked me up.
Speaker 1: I was like, I have stuff to do, but I.
Speaker 3: Am not going to do it for a second because I was not ready for that. So that's fascinating, Like that is the kind of mechanic, like an addition of a mechanic that I was not expecting from this update. It's not you know, it's not it's no brewster, it's no museum upgrade. But that's wild. I here, I am over here, like I wish they'd let me put rugs outside, and then they're like, warp pipe go in it. So that was really exciting, and I think one of the interesting things, actually all two of the interesting things is in that trailer, they basically showed the entire list of items, which I then transcribed and put in an article for you all to enjoy on Gaizauco.
Speaker 1: But it.
Speaker 3: It basically, I think, shows every item that's it seemed like a pretty comprehensive list. In Nook Shopping, which is the shopping app in the game. There are a couple items from previous games that weren't included in that list. So the fire bar is a notable one that was in previous animal crossing games and the like bullet bill cannon, but there were some new ones as well, So that was that. And and then also I think something that I was pretty excited about as someone who's been frustrated with the limited time events in the game, I think it's kind of hard if you are not going to be playing for eight hours a day like I did for the festival event to write the festival guide that nobody read. I I if you're not going to spend that much time in the event, you're you're probably going to miss some limited time items and that has been a problem, especially for people with the like the mushroom set that was kind of hard to get, or some of the holiday items. This Mario set actually does not seem to be time locked or time limited time because my thinking on this is in the trailer they show that it is part of the promotion section of nick Shopping that is different than the event section. So you'll find like the Lunar New Year stuff, the Valentine's Day stuff, all of that's in a special like seasonal section of Kook Shopping. The promotion section is different. That's where you can find like the Pocket Camp crossover items. And because I've unlocked those items, they're just permanently there for me to buy whenever I want. And so I think that's how these Mario items work, which is such a big improvement on previous games, where like originally way back when you would have to like get like it was an actual special promotion, back when Nintendo would like make you go to a place and like in Newly, if you had to it was random, you would buy a fortune cookie and whatever number you get, you would get that item. Now now you can just buy whatever one you want from the looks of it, So that's an improvement because I would not want to have to stand at nooks Cranny buying a thousand fortune cookies, trying to get specifically peaches crown you know. So, And that's the other thing. They added a lot of outfits which were not in the previous Mario furniture series, and sound effects.
Speaker 1: Too, and you put on Mario's it makes like a Mario sound effect or whatever.
Speaker 3: A lot of cute details, like especially one of the interesting things I think is the thwomp because it floats in the air, which there's no other New Horizons item that does this. One thing that's you I can't tell from the trailer is if you can just walk directly under it. Obviously it's the thwomp, so it comes down, but like does that take up an entire like square of space? Like how does that work? So some interesting things there that I would probably dive into when I have access to them. Yeah, really, I I the warp pipe thing, I could not believe that. Just go ahead, just go ahead, click on it. You'll enter it because the physics doesn't matter, and then you'll appear at the on the other side, and the game already has fast travel. You can call Rosetti. This is why it is so wild to.
Speaker 2: Me watching your like unmitigated excitement and joy at this is a pretty fantastic experience. I'm very, very very happy to witness this gallery.
Speaker 3: Thanks so Glass not annoying, not lily, not at all.
Speaker 1: Two more things, the Big Ones Skywards Sword coming to Nintendo Switch those two ways you can play it. You can play with a using motion controls with your joy cons, or you can use the control stick in order to direct your sword. It's coming out what they say June twenty something.
Speaker 2: I love how they troll this. If you don't mind me interrupting for a moment, Oh yeah, the controls starting with and you can play it with both joy cons. Now, there have been calls for years to play this without motion controls from many fans. So him going through a long detailed thing on that and then or if that was absolutely brilliant and very very funny.
Speaker 1: It was right after the troll where Numa was like, I know you want me to talk about beat of the While too, but I won't be doing that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. That was the thing is like, I feel like to an American, that's just a troll. But I think that was just like a nice courtesy, you know, I appreciate it like.
Speaker 1: Although I wish they'd do something with Metroid uh at some point, because boy, that's been a while.
Speaker 2: I imagine I'm only speculating here, but I actually have a lot of sympathy for the position ran. I would be shocked if COVID hasn't thrown production schedules just completely off the rails for them for years. And Nintendo's making money hand over fist right now. They're selling video games by by the bushel. They would be selling even more video games if they had them. They know that. I think they planned to have them. They're just doing their best in a really difficult situation. That's not their fault, is my guess about what's happening with the supply at the moment. And so I really actually appreciated him coming out there and just being like, here's the elephant in the room. Yaw, you're gonna hear something later, but I'm just not ready to talk about it. But yeah, I suspect Primes in the same boat. I mean, they came out and told us we're restarting this. You'll hear from us when it's ready. I appreciated that a couple of years ago, and you know, we'll get it. We're going to get there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I mean by saying like, I think to an American audience, that's more of like a a haha, fuck you kind of like move. I think like if an American developer did that, it would be like a troll. But I think coming from a Japanese dev and especially Nintendo, it really is just like a please understand moment, which I know people were upset by, but I was glad it was followed up by Skywards or The release date is July sixteenth, by the way, and I am very I just really want to say this before I forget. Really good on them for making it slightly more accessible control wise. I think obviously they kind of had to do that with the release of the switch Light because it would have been unplayable for everybody who owns one of those. But also, you know, just having the option to not use most motion controls has been a sticking point with Nintendo in the past, and I think that making it even slightly more accessible. Obviously Nintendo has a ways to go when it comes to accessibility in the way that like Microsoft does it, but I think, you know, that's pretty important. I've never played Skyward Swords, so I'm really excited to play it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually haven't played Skyward Sword either. It's one of the few three D Zelda games, I mean just Zelda games in general that I have. I have not not even started it, so I'm excited to play it in that sense. Have you guys played Skyward Sort Are you excited for it or are you hoping for something else. I know a lot of people were banking on a Zelda collection, which sounded too good to be true.
Speaker 3: At the time.
Speaker 4: I'm I've played it before. I enjoyed it. I have got problems with it. I think the pacing of that game is a little not great at time, especially in the early hours.
Speaker 3: But wow, Zelda game with early pacing issues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like time's like ten, Like it's really bad. I can't defend that part of the game at all, other than the fact that the story stuff's actually kind of good. It's I thought it was interesting that like he was trying to be like, Hey, a lot of the Breath of the Wild mechanics started in this game. So if you like that game, give it a try, because it's a very different game. It is like super like traditional Zelda in a lot of ways. It's it's very cut scene heavy, very story heavy. I think that stuff probably will grate on a lot of people because because it takes a while for the game to really get going. That said, I do think that game has some like the best dungeon design in Zelda. Like, it's got some really good dungeons if you're someone who cares about like the Zelda lore, It's got a lot of really good Like it's basically like supposed to be like the first game in this Zelda timeline, so it kind of like explains a lot of the setup for Zelda, and like, I think people who care about that stuff will really like that part about it. It's it's also got a really good I really like its version of Zelda because she's like the Link's childhood friend in this one, so you get a lot of build up with her, and I think like they do a really good job like establishing her more as a character in a way that other Zeldas don't, even if it does eventually fall into the traditional like okay, I gotta go save her now. It's also got Groose, who's the best Zelda character I want to hear. Otherwise gross Groose is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Come fight me if you disagree, have something to say about that.
Speaker 1: I feel like.
Speaker 4: Tingle and Groose would would get along really well or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah they are. There are two p's, aren't they. The only thing I know about Grouse is a Zelda a remix called Started from the Groose Now He's Loose, and it is ri started from the Pot and our here. I googled a Skyrits Sword because I couldn't remember exactly when it came out. And I know the reason I never played it is because I had just begun college and so I didn't have a WI in my dorm.
Speaker 4: Imagine like a Jersey Shore character just showing up in like a Zelda game, like okay, So he's like a Naughts high school bully. He's He's great.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 2: Canonically, the greatest Zelda character is the guy from Zelda Too, whose name is Error. So you can walk into a room and he says, I am Error. And when when you're twelve and you've just bought Zelda Too, you're very confused, let me tell you what I got a busted copy. And then later on a guy send you back to go find Error turns offer. It was supposed to erin and yeah, it just got translated into the game. But yeah, Skyward's Sword is interesting. I'm glad they're doing it. It deserves to stay in the sun. It came out at a very weird time in the Wiz life cycle, when a lot of good stuff, frankly there came along at the kind of the end, the tail end was getting ignored or overshadowed. And I'm glad it's getting its day. A Twilight Princess for Weizelda's that's definitely when I prefer, and I'd like to get it off with you and on to switch. I really hope that happens because I think that is I mean again, you talk about slow starts, good lord, but ye at all. Yeah, but that's so that's two hours of slow start Zelda and then seventy eight hours of the best Zelda that's not called Twilight Princess or a pardon me, that's not called Breath of the Wall. I love that game. But I hope it gets unlocked, and I'm glad to see Skyward sort get its day. Yeah really, yeah, I'm Joan. Look, I'm glad you're excited about it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only thing that disappoints me is the price. It's sixty dollars, which I feel is is pretty steep for a ten year old game. I know they're adding and they're changing stuff, and I don't want to like say like it's easy. You just put it on the switch and it's done. Like I know they have to do work for it. But the you know Twilight Princess HD, that was fifty dollars, the winmaker is fifty dollars. Seeing it be sixty dollars for what I think kind of in the in the overall opinion is one of the more mixed is all the games. I think it's a little weird. I think that's a bit of a hard sell, especially because I do think it is a game worth playing, but sixty dollars is maybe it's maybe a little much.
Speaker 2: So okay, I after hearing that show a hands who's gonna buy it?
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 4: That's the thing about though, like they got you by the balls, Like you can complain about it, but you can't do anything about it. And it frustrates me.
Speaker 1: Listen, like Nintendo, I have issues.
Speaker 4: With your practices, but I can't do anything about it. I'm going to buy your game anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, it's a Zelda game I've never played, and I want to play it because of that. So it's like I'm going to buy it no matter what. And they know it and I know it, and I I just want to play it because the other game I haven't played. I don't I don't care about what people are saying, Like some people really like it, some people don't. It's pretty mixed, Like it's still just a new Zelda.
Speaker 2: Game to me.
Speaker 3: And at this point, they have like what twenty years of data of people buying re releases of their games, Like like how many of us own the same Mario game on like four systems.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I bought every version of every Pokemon game up through like I think up through black and white, but so I stopped at black and white.
Speaker 1: But before that, I like, I have red, red, yellow, gold, silver, Christians yellow.
Speaker 3: And then I bought yellow and green on three DS and I got Crystal while I were like I got Gen two, I bought you know, like it's, oh, well, you got me, I'm gonna buy it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm counting in my head, right now, and I've got to have at least eight devices in my house. I can play Super Mario Brothers on and I still bought that little game and watch was just Supermiliar Brothers on it for like fifty bucks because because I don't know, I like giving them money because they make good things that make me happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just love to spend our money on Nintendo products. I recently moved and I was packing up my stuff and I forgot that I have three different three DSS. I was like, oh, yeah, my Japanese one. Oops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, oh go ahead, Jake, No, no, you finish. Do you have any new three dss or are they all?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a I have a regular three DS XL, and then I have my New three DS, and then my Japanese three d S which I can't remember if it's a new or regular.
Speaker 2: Play the Super Nintendo games on it. I mean, yeah, you gotta have that.
Speaker 4: I love the New three DS. I think it's one of the most beautifully designed nice hardware is I have the one. I have the one with the Famicom colors on it, Like, yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I think my Japanese one is the new three DS because it has the face plates at Jose Otero, formerly of of IGN actually currently of Nintendo, gave it to me because I had been expressing wanting to play games in Japanese to practice and yeah, so that was exciting. I think it was before you could get like face plates in America.
Speaker 1: Well didn't didn't they not release the smaller new three ds in the US for a while like you Can Excel or something like that.
Speaker 3: There was a big delay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we should probably move on. We've been we've been here for a while and we still live. The biggest one of the biggest announcements talk about Splatoon three day. That music, that music is so good it really gets Yeah.
Speaker 3: I so I was really excited because in the past, this is just one thing that stuck out to me from the trailer.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: In the past, you would pick like boy or girls, quid kid, and then you would have some customization options from there. Uh. But based on the trailer, it looks like the options aren't tied to a gender choice. You just get to pick your character's appearance and customize with what you Yeah, which which is I think a more recent trend. A lot of games have been adopting just like pick your style, pick your look, kind of phreezing at the character creation screen and giving you a little bit more flexibility in like what sorts of things you equip on, which it's not gender locked, like like even like animal crossing, like there's no gender locked clothing or anything like that. So that was nice because I think that's a really positive trend. I think more games should adopt that kind of character creation. And it looks really cool. There's a lot like of really cute hairstyles, and you can.
Speaker 4: Play as an Octoling, which is something they added in the very underrated Octo expansion.
Speaker 1: And I never finished that so good.
Speaker 4: That's the thing I'm the most excited about potentially is like it's so vague, so like you really have like you can only speculate, but what they were showing it looks like there could be potential for a lot more like open world single player exploration, and that I think is some of the best stuff in Splatoon that's like highly underrated, Like the single players in those games are really really good, even though like you know, the multiplayer is kind of the main hook. So I'm very very fascinating to see if like that's what they're kind of building on with. Like I mean, the which I think is called Splattsville in this one, yes, is like it looked massive in a way that like the Hub area and the other Splatoon games never quite were. I'm so curious to see like how they're building off of that. I'd love for you to like get to like wander around and explore the world is like an inkling in a way that they never quite did with those other ones.
Speaker 3: Like, especially because the world building in Splatoon is so interesting. It's like the post apocalypse and you kind.
Speaker 1: Of saw that at the beginning of the trailer too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think it would be cool for them to expand on that. And before I forget, they also showed off a new kind of weapon, which is the bow.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were talking about the world or the world exploration. I think one of the things that gets lost in Splatoon, which we tend to think of more as a shooter because it's hot marketed, is that Splatoon's kind of the secret sequel to Kubert, Like it's it's not a game about shooting, it's a game about area control. It's it's about literally changing ground to your color. It is Kubert too, and it happens to be a multiplayer and competitive, but that's that's almost secondary. It's a game about controlling space. So you're right, the first player campaigns are fantastic. And the idea of building out when the game have a game that's already about exploring a controlling space, if you could build those themes into a broader world exploration in a single player campaign, I think that's kind of a natural fit that I really really hope they run with. Also, another thought I had watching that trailer is I want like a Mike Bithel's Subsurface Circular like spinoff that's just you riding that train full of fish people. I want to play an adventure game where I'm talking to the fish that's riding on the train through the desert. I want to know what's going on there.
Speaker 4: It's such a good spirit I was getting from the Yeah, I felt intentional. I feel like that had to be. Splatoon likes to do like weird referential stuff like that. They did like a Biggie and Tupac thing in the Octoexpedion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if this game, I mean, I'm i don't want to get my hopes up, but if this game could be like the Mario Odyssey of Splatoon games, like sign Me Up. Maybe I'm getting my hopes up too much for that, but I'm very excited for more Splatoon.
Speaker 1: Well, we should probably move on to listener questions. We're only going to do two. We'll do them pretty quickly. But if you've got any questions for us, you can email us at after Dark Podcast at readventures dot com because it turns out that works. Eventually, after Dark Podcast at GameSpot should work again, But like I said last week, we're still kind of in the process of transitioning things and aliases and whatnot. But if you don't want to email us, you can always join our discord. And both questions today came from our discord, the first of which is from Kevin from West Hartford, who used to send in a lot of questions and I think he did, but he was doing them through emails, so he kind of lost him. So it's been a while since we've gotten a Kevin from West Hartford question, Cali, do you want to read this one?
Speaker 3: Yes, welcome back, Kevin. Hey, after Dark Crew, is there a mechanic or system in a genre that instantly makes you like a game more. For example, in turn based RPGs, I prefer when the two rival parties take turns mixed together based on a speed set, rather than each party taking a turn as a team. That's an interesting one now, I got to like that specific example, but also an interesting question. I think I like management sim elements in any game, like something that really enhanced Three Houses for me, what fire imblem three Houses was the ability to like set lesson plans and like basically tailor everyone to my exact specifications and to minmx my time, and like.
Speaker 1: Can I actually be a dragon? Like no, no, this is not.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely not unless you're Sylvain, in which case sure, and I guess to kind of an extension of that would be I also just really like having to make the most of my time, which is something that I've been enjoying in Person of five, even though it's extremely stressful because I didn't know what was coming, so I wasn't able to plan ahead as much. But I like those kinds of mechanics where I just get to exert some sort of weird control over something.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is a mechanic necessarily, but I love it when a game takes away a lot of information that games give you, like here's your health bar, here's where you are on this map, here's here's a compass that you'll probably never need, but we're going to give it to you anyway. I like it when you're more, when you let loose to explore a little bit. I think, like I always love just turning off HUDs in games and playing it that way. Like Ghost Reecon Breakpoint is a game that I returned to recently. At launch wasn't very good, but when you turn off all that extra info the game throws at you, it's actually like a very intense, cooperative tactical shooter, which is so different than what it launched as it was like a weird destiny like gear chase game. So I guess that, in particular is one to go with. Or Red Dead two, for example, you could turn off the HUD and they even said characters would like tell you where to go if you turn off the HUD. That kind of works sometimes other times it didn't. But like I've played so much Red Dead too where I've gotten to the point where I don't need the HUT and I know where I am and how to get around, and part of that too, is just good due to really good world design and what are the Weeni's good wienie placement.
Speaker 2: I don't like that. I mean, everybody loves a good wing. I mean, that's that's true. Jake, have you ever played Bishida Blade?
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, that seems like a Jake game, a fight fighting game with no life bars, Like, all right, you gotta play this game square INIX back in the day, Total classic. But yeah, no life bars, fighting game. You know you'll love it.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll check that out for me.
Speaker 2: I think it's uh directly gaining health for damaging enemies. Uh. The first game I've ever encountered this in was was Go Go thirteen back on the Ness, and it pops up every every now and then. Bloodborne has a version of it, for example.
Speaker 1: But I heard of that game, huh, I said, I've never heard of it because Tamoor talks about it every week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I probably talk about it once a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, continue to talk about it is excellent.
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't. It doesn't show up very often, but it pops up every now and then. This kind of and I'm talking about a life drop, but like being directly rewarded for thoughtful aggression, being in danger of dying and realizing the only way to get out of it is to hurt enemies. Like I love that because you can't just barrel in or you'll keel over. But at the same time, there's this you know, went out numbered when overwhelmed attack and it moves you to feel more heroic in the game because when it works, you're healed, enemies are down, you're awesome. Power fantasy played out, and when it doesn't, you've got that tension. You're like, ah, I went out, but I went out swinging and it's fun. So I really love that mechanic and I'd like to see it more in games.
Speaker 4: The first thing that came to mind of me was the actor reload and Gears of War, Like, I love the idea of just taking like what's like a very standard thing you do in like every shooter and just like adding that little extra thing you need to like potentially think about where like if you just hit the button just right and then it becomes this like muscle memory where you just like you know exactly when to hit it and it adds this extra extra like incentive and like boost to like combat, which you know, like I like stuff like that. I would also say, like thinking about out Persona, I love I think that Persona five in particular is maybe my favorite turn based combat because they said all these little tweaks because on the surface, it's like very standard turn based combat, but just like you know, like that thing of like you hit an enemy, you can do one more, you can baton pass. The change to the baton pass from like regular five to Royal and having that be there, like and the way you can chain it, and they added this little boost where not only can you chain it, but in Royal it'll actually like increase the damage and increases like you gain regain sp and it just like incentivizes you to like think of it's almost like a puzzle game where you're like, how do I, like, what sequence of attacks do I need to do to chain a baton pass through my entire party so that my final character has this like super attack they can do at the very end. It's such a small change, but it completely alters the way you like think of of a standard battles in that game. And I think it's such a great addition, I agree.
Speaker 1: M next question is from Aaron. If you had to join one evil video game faction culture group, what would it be? Mine would be Team Yell from Pokemon, Sword and Shield because all they seem to do is walk around holding megaphones and raising Pokemon. I was thinking about this and I have nothing yet, so I gotta think more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard because I don't. Yes, listen, I'm going to level with all of you. The obvious answer for me, CALLI Plaguey is tea Magma. So I think, just based on everything that's happened in my life, in my career, in my world, I am contractually obligated to say tea magma because you know, they want like they saw, they saw the problems with Howen. They were like, it is god, you gotta dive. Oh my god, you gotta the waterfalls, you gotta surface so much, you're never gonna use a fire Pokemon again. And then they were like, would we are eco terrorists? However we have Uh, we see the issues in this world and we know you Kali are correct and uh, and they said let's let's do it.
Speaker 1: So I that's my choice.
Speaker 2: Mine is whoever is trying to destroy a knack at that particular moment.
Speaker 1: That's a good answer. That's a really good answer. I should have said something before that, because I won't talk that. Both of those are really good answers.
Speaker 4: I don't have one. I'm like because every every time I think of like an evil faction, I'm like, like, ah, the one that's like Nazis. No, don't want to join that. Most most video game bosses are just.
Speaker 3: Nazis. Yeah, yeah, a lot of them are just Nazis.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe uh, Big Bosses, Diamond Dogs, they're kind of evil. I don't know, well, like when they're Diamond Dogs or not, but I guess they eventually become the evil faction. But they're fighting for a just cause in a better world and they're fighting against the Patriots, So are they the bad guys? I don't know. Metal Gears confusing, but I'm gonna say that Big Boss whatever Big Bosses side.
Speaker 2: Is Metal Gears confusing as a whole mood, Like that's.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm not sure. I even opened up my my Steam account just to scroll through these games and see if there's one that would be cool to be a part of. But I feel like most of the games I'm into are like very serious and like I wouldn't want to be any of the villains in The Witcher or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Jake, I have the perfect answer for you, all right, whenever you're on defense and siege, you want to be attack.
Speaker 1: That's true. I don't like being defense in siege. So half of siege is excellent, the other half is pretty boring.
Speaker 3: I'm going to answer for Jake and say, just attack the attack team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably a good that's probably a good answer. Maybe I'd want to be like one of the bad guys and dark souls, one of the ones that are like hiding behind a door that the player isn't going to see and then they just walk in and it's like big X to the face and you're prepared for that. Now you're dead by patches.
Speaker 3: What about patches?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, help out patches.
Speaker 3: That's a stupid profile picture of patches.
Speaker 1: Anyway. That's been episode eighty one of Game Spot After Dark. Thank you all so much for joining, and thank you Jared for taking the time.
Speaker 2: The Joe.
Speaker 1: That was a lot of fun, and thank you all out there for listening. Before we go, Kelly, what are you up to and where can people find you on Twitter?
Speaker 3: Uh, you can find me on Twitter at ike doogico I n k y d o j I kko and.
Speaker 1: You know me.
Speaker 3: Well, well, you know this doesn't affect any of you at home. But I finally released the style Guide. I've been working on case and I am stoked about it. It's internal only. I'm so sorry, but that was a big uh when I say that I'm just working on behind the scenes stuff, that was a big behind the scenes just kind of internal uh, you know, editor kind of stuff that I was working on. So that was really exciting.
Speaker 1: And then I've been refreshed in like since like two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: Or something, wasn't it the Yeah, the old style Guide was so old that the formatting broke Google Docs and it didn't like it just was unreadable. So I basically, uh, with some help from some of the other editors, uh, we built it from the ground up. That's an exciting thing. So I've been doing a lot of that kind of thing, not as as many reviews, not as as many forward facing facing things. But you know, festival is over, But if you want to go give that guide a view, it would mean a lot to me. That was my whole day on Monday. I could have taken the day off and instead I collected feathers and it took a lot of time.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you know, you know me, John Luke, how about you.
Speaker 4: You can find me at John lack Syke. I'm I don't know, and I'm working on that. I'm working in the background on some some new stuff that's probably not gonna happen for another week or so. Uh, I don't know. I'm making I'm making things right now. I swear we're working. I made Oh, I made like a I did a Destiny comparison because they put the strike from the first game into the new one. So I did like a video comparison. That's what I did today. I forgot. I don't know. It's my brand's a mess. Just go check that out when it goes up.
Speaker 1: You can find me at Jacob Deck. And there should be an episode of Dirty r D coming soon, which we haven't done in a long time. Rob and I are giving it one final goodbye, which should be fun, So look out for that. I don't know, and that's going to be But you should also check out Jared's top one hundred Games Podcast, jaredy Can people find you and what are some things you'd like to plug?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find me at Petty Comma Jared on Twitter. That's b T T Y C O M M A J A R E D. Where you can find leftist politics, video games stuff, and occasionally meet pontificating on how we all ought to be nice to each other. That's pretty much the three things you're going to find there. If you want to listen to the Top one hundred Games Pod, I think you should because it's fun. You can find that on Apple Podcasts, on Google podcast and Android, on Stitcher, on Spotify, it's all those places. Just search for Top one hundred Games Podcast or Top one hundred Games Podcast with Jered Petty. If you like listening to delightful people talk about games they love and just cheer some anecdotes about the pure joy and wonder of this art form and all the best things about it, it's a good place to go do that. So I really hope you will just just go take a look at that. That's what I'm up to so and again genuinely and just just thoroughly thrilled to get to be a part of the show. I like the show, I like what you do here, I like the work you do in the podcast and outside, and it's good to know all of you. It's really great to meet John Luke. Thank you all for thank you for joining us.
Speaker 1: It was an absolute pleasure, had a lot of fun, all right. Well with that, we will see you all next week. Don't something