Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, And for this week of July twenty eighth, we're continuing with The Gilded Age Season three, Episode two. What's the Papers Say?
Speaker 1: And I would just plant things in there, like to tell.
Speaker 2: You what the drinks with broads, which is the FuG Girls news THO Fun Yeah newsletter. They are doing recaps of these episodes and the sub head for the recap of this one is drop dead Charles Fain.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, there were a number of different incidents of bad behavior in this. I mean, you can quibble about how Bertha is handling her daughter. You can quibble about whether Gladys should have ran out of the house in the middle of the night. You know, the stuff of the Van Ryan house is very tense. There's talk about racism, there's Larry and Jack, whatever is going on in there, but it all pales in comparison to that bleephole and what I mean, bad enough the way he's treating her, But then he brings his side piece to her party yep, and.
Speaker 2: Basically says, no, no, this is how it is is from now on. So that's why if you have to divorce.
Speaker 1: Me, yes, yes, and just ruin her there in public in front of everybody, missus astor running out of there like somebody had dropped a turret on the floor. What a yeah, yeah, what a jerk?
Speaker 2: Gusting.
Speaker 1: He is awful, He is really awful. And I like that that missus Van Ryan said you're no longer my nephew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said, he said something.
Speaker 1: She's broke and disgraced herself. So yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Said something like on Agnes, you'll understand or I don't. I don't remember what he said, but she just said, no, I am no longer on Agnes to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, what a scumback anyway, Yeah, he is. Just they've just made him more and more irredeemable with each time he comes at.
Speaker 2: Aurora and just try to flick yes and start over.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you know, a good illustration of the folly of marrying somebody who is going to do that to you, And when you are a young woman, it's hard to see that far down the road. But you know, I don't know that the Duke is going to be a particularly wonderful husband for Gladys. But I think Billy is probably well ducked.
Speaker 2: Yes, because he's just too too much of a wus he is.
Speaker 1: Indeed, yes, And I don't think he would be able to certainly wouldn't be able to protect her from her mother and her mother's will, and would also probably just once she got over the excitement of it, he would be very boring. So there's really not a lot of good options for Gladys. No, I regret to say, Yeah, I think I think we know where this is going for Gladys. Yeah, well, let's see she marries the Duke, she goes to English, she meets some of the Bridgerton's and they have lots of fun times together. Yeah, there probably wrong time.
Speaker 2: They're like fifty sixty years I think behind before behind you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know, maybe there's a time.
Speaker 2: Warm Yes, exactly. Well. In addition to Agnes, you know, saying that she's no longer his aunt and hear you know, he can't call her that, I also enjoyed the takedown of the horrible house maid or housekeeper or whatever at at the van Ryns. You know, probably just a lot of kind of virtue signaling, but the cook basically the cook just told her off and she said Armstrong the racest one. They said to Banister, like, are you gonna let her talk to me that way? And he just said here's that I am or something? Yes, yes you are. You bet she deserves it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. The whole temperance making the help sign your temperance pledge seems unfair.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially when it's like they have a choice, No they don't. You know, you're the boss. You pay their sal they do have to. And when it's like we promise not to drink here but also not to drink anywhere, but also to like discourage anyone anywhere at any time. I'm ye, and that's a lot, Like that's that's a lot to ask of anybody. It is a lot, Yes it is, and it's just going to lead to organized crimes.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah it's and it is bad. I do.
Speaker 2: But we had John Quincy Adams coming back to save the day for for Oscar.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right. Yeah, that's right. I forgot that was his name. Yeah, but that was a sweet scene.
Speaker 2: But I mean it was just very like, oh, we need to fix things for Oscar. How are we going to do that? I know, yeah, yeah, good old well, good old John Adams, John Adams just to handwave this problem away like oh, I'll just tell you that you're good at money again, like okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I ruined Oscar. Not that fun. Yeah, I mean at the time when it happened, he kind of had it coming to him. But all right, we're done. Can we do something else?
Speaker 2: We need a last minute hail Mary like we got with Oh suddenly Ada's rich now.
Speaker 1: Like exactly, yeah, although Ada being rich has turned out to not be as much fun as no, So maybe Oscar can get some money for his mom. Yeah, to like at least buy the servants of bear. Yeah, but that they did a very good job of like turning our joy at Ada being the top dog for a change to uh yeah, and how does Aurora get the job of deciding who's in charge? I know that that seems very odd to me? What business is it of a her?
Speaker 2: She happens to be there when the when that sort of comes to a head with who's in charge? And so she just says, well, my own life is falling apart, I can just step in here and do whatever. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it makes me slightly look sympathetic towards her because she's this is not your house, lady. And I mean clearly the one paying the bills is the one who gets to give the orders, but sort of coldly done. Oh well, and uh, Mariann and Larry are sneaking around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, do we feel like Larry's more into her than she's into him?
Speaker 1: Or yeah? I don't. I mean I feel like she's into him too. I just feel like he is in a position where he feels bulletproof, so the hecke you don't care what he does, and she is in a position where she feels very vulnerable. So which is the way Gladys should have been feeling about herself. Instead, she felt like she was She was acting like Larry, I can do whatever I want. But she ran away to Billy's house and then immediately went back. Well, I guess Billy's mom says you can't.
Speaker 2: No, Bertha came toget her.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but well she started by said a note like first thing in the morning.
Speaker 2: She started by saying, you know, we have to be strong, we have to stand together, and then she folded like a cheap umbrella as soon as her mother showed up.
Speaker 1: Bertha is very intimidating, even like George kind of folds like a cheap umbrella. He folds like a pricey umbrella. He folds like a like a very dignified umbrella that says I will open up later.
Speaker 2: Yeah in the house.
Speaker 1: This isn't We're not through with this. Don't don't snap the bottom. Yeah she is. She is pretty difficult to get out of the way of Maybe I liked the From a parenting point of view, you know, we often say that parents have different roles, Parents take responsibility for different things in the family life and that that's one way to make everything work, so that you're not constantly discussing every single thing, and you know, at length cut exactly. Yeah, so George said when something like when do I get a say in my daughter's upbringing? And Bertha says, the day I'm in your boardroom giving opinions on railroads and steel mills. So stand down, buddy. And I think he maybe gives it some thought because she might do it. You know, she might come in and actually might come in to a meeting. She might have better ideas than me. Fine, take the girl, do whatever you want. I'll break my promise, you know, as as have many smart people. He takes the warning. Yes, but you know, somebody has to be the person everybody listens to. I guess maybe in more modern families we like it to be the unified voice of mom and dad. But is it usually even now? I don't know. So Billy was scared off by Saint George with all his powerful friends, but he should have been more scared of proof. Oh well. I liked also how Billy's this is a parenting tip. When your child has a failure, it's very upsetting and you feel it strongly, but find a positive spin. So Billy's mom is like their new money. They were just using you to get in with them money. Right, It's fine, it's you're lucky to be out of that. You know, you got to do it. Even if the kid doesn't believe you. Still, you got to put a happy face on it. This is for the best. I really enjoyed the performance of the actress who played Billy's mom, who was just you know, in over her quite a lot and slowly realizing it and at the end probably saying, thank goodns, I am not co in laws with that woman. You know. It's like, boy, we dodged a bullet. Here wee Carlton's so but she was like and there was a lot of talk of you know, Bertha saying that Gladys would have an opportunity to set fashions and to do all these things and to be extraordinary. And I'm like, that sounds like a lot of pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's not you would have done that.
Speaker 1: But it makes me feel like that's a lot of work, and that's a lot of responsibility and a lot of pressure. Maybe she just wants to sit in a nice sunny corner and read a book. Maybe she doesn't want to be out setting policy with the queen. You know, you have to assess your kids as to whether they are up for that and would dig that. Don't put a kid who doesn't want that in that position. Yikes. I mean we're all ambitious for our kids, you know, we want them to go to the best schools. Well, some kids don't need or want or benefit from the best schools. Some they just need to find their niche Someways sometimes you just got to calm down, Mom, calm down.
Speaker 2: Good luck telling Bertha to calm down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody tells Nobody tells Martha to calm down.
Speaker 2: Nobody tells her anything.
Speaker 1: There is no calm setting on that woman. There is a quiet seating. Possibly there is a biting biting time. There's definitely a biting time setting that is not the same as call so yesh. I mean, Gladys is pretty well doomed now, even though George is only now finding out. I think that they have promised the Duke money or will after the end of this episode find out. I'm trying to get.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get.
Speaker 1: You know what. There aren't enough in the Gilded Age, enough dogs have there been dogs. There was a dog at one point, wasn't there didn't have been? Didn't I have a dog? Where's Ada's dog? Did she ditched the doggy? No alcohol? I'm out here. I'm gonna go across the street. I'm pretty sure the Russell's got booze.
Speaker 2: They are not giving that up.
Speaker 1: For sure, they need it is.
Speaker 2: Oh well, well we had also Aida and Peggy's mom Udre McDonald as we like to call her, sort of bonding over when your child is ill and how with Agnes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sorry, Yeah, Agnes and Peggy's mom bonding that was That was very nice. Yes, I'm just trying to Agnes trying to not be a terrible racist person, even though it's a minefield that she was tipped on her through and Peggy's dad was just kind of ready for each misstep, right, But I think that she made it through and they did have that nice bonding over typhoid. Does this explain why oscar Is is the way she seems to have lost any sympathy she had.
Speaker 2: For us, Well, it's a difference.
Speaker 1: Between he brought him through his illness and look what he did to me. He ruined me financially, well, should have let that old punk dog.
Speaker 2: It was ten and now he's what thirty five or something, so he's held to a different standard at this point.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true, I believe. Oh well, so yeah, it was nice to see uh Peggy's family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we get to meet the hot doctor.
Speaker 1: So the hot doctor we can assume is going to be a love interest for us.
Speaker 2: I do believe.
Speaker 1: They checked that he's married. They just maybe she wants to drop that into the conversation this time hot newspaper guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she found out the lessons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we would like to see a complete dossier young. Yeah. Meanwhile, the chef's wife died yay, so he can now possibly marry his coworkers.
Speaker 2: Because we need more more stories in this show. Yes, I still enjoy it very much. But yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's a lot. There's a lot. They need to put out a little guide each one each Remember this person, this person, Okay, now this person is doing this. Now remember the backstory on that person. Oh well, Aurora is going to find some friends out in Newport.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, well, I mean they're setting it up so that Aurora is going to be in Newport Peggy's going to be in Newport. Maybe Larry will have to go back to Newport for some reason, and then Laura but Nanty's gonna cause a complication.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, yeah. See well I want I want Kelly O'Hara more of an ante to be next door neighbors and just you know, greet each day singing Broadway.
Speaker 2: Shoot, yes, I love that.
Speaker 1: And of course if Peggy's family is there, then Audrey McDonald can join in. It'll be perfect. You know, who will want to not be a Newport The city will clear out.
Speaker 2: Apparently the hot doctor in real life has been in Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well that's true. This is a this is a Who's that Broadway Person? TV show? So I recommended it to somebody recently who I know enjoys Broadway just that way. Oh, it's like you'll recognize everybody else I couldn't. It's uh so, who's that dita?
Speaker 2: But well, next Wednesday, what comes up on that is episode three of season three, and this is called love is Never Easy.
Speaker 1: Oh that doesn't sound good. And but of course they got to fill they got to fill a lot of episodes here, so you know, it can't be easy. It can't be. Everybody's fine, everybody's in love, it's good, it's all good. Let's go to Newport and put on a show.
Speaker 2: So we'll see that. We'll watch that for next Wednesday, and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.