Speaker 1: Ah, Yes, it has the Been and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle and we are hanging out today at Rollertown Beer Works in Salina, Texas. And it's extra special because this is our big sumo weekend. We have a huge sumo tournament going down tomorrow. It's an all day event. You got to come out and to kind of put you in the right frame of mind. We're joined by our buddy Corey Morrison of the Dallas Sumo Club.
Speaker 2: And where I.
Speaker 1: Want to go with this, Corey, is you know what this tournament has turned into?
Speaker 2: What it's become.
Speaker 1: You guys have people from all over, so kind of give me a rundown some of the folks who have traveled the furthest to be here and be a part of this tournament.
Speaker 3: Look, so we got people from California, New York, Kansas, Chicago, Australia, Canada, Japan, I mean literally all over the United States. But we got a ton of people from all over that want to do sumo in Solina.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Why do you think this thing has turned into a tournament that someone from Australia, Like I met Goose from Australia. Great dude, why would goose from Australia want to come to this tournament.
Speaker 2: So the way.
Speaker 3: We format this tournament is a little different than most tournaments. Most tournaments work exactly like every other combat sports tournament, like single elimination, double elimination, Roller Towns Showdown. Sumo tournament is more like an homage to professional sumo. So in Japan, whenever they're doing professional sumo, they do a tournament every other month starting in January, and you fight once a day for fifteen days in a row, every day all fifteen. We wanted to emulate that by doing fifteen matches in one day.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So a lot of the times when you go to these tournaments, unfortunately, maybe you're having a bad day and you drop two matches.
Speaker 2: Sayinara, that's it.
Speaker 3: I just flew to Florida or wherever, and I my first two matches weren't that great.
Speaker 2: Here, you're guaranteed fifteen matches. The day of and the.
Speaker 3: Day before today Friday, we do a training session and we ask that you do a minimum of ten and up to fifteen so you get your money's worth. It's for we like to say this one's for the boys. Okay, obviously, it's unix. The women are invited, but in the general sense, it's for the boys.
Speaker 2: It's for people who.
Speaker 3: Love sumo who want to fight it. It's it's been called the best sumo tournament, the best party disguised as a psumoto.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I you know, one of my favorite things. First of all, I didn't really know what to expect, But then when you watch the matches, you realize that they're so short because if somebody gets pushed out of that circle, it's over, and so they don't go on for It's not like a wrestling event like American wrestling anything like that. And then when you have guys from different weight classes squaring off against each other, that's a lot of fun too. And so one of my favorite memories from this tournament is you had like the biggest guy in the tournament fighting the smallest guy, and he's just pushing him out of the circle as if you know, he's a wafer thin cracker that fell on the floor. And then the little tiny kid grabbed onto the giant's leg and held on like it was a tree trunk, and he couldn't shake him off and get him out of the circle. Like the whole place. He erupted and went crazy, and that's an experience I never would have expected.
Speaker 2: But that's kind of the magic of this tournament, right totally.
Speaker 3: So in professional zoom professional sumo, there are no weight classes. In amateur sumo, what we do whenever you go to a tournament, maybe a national tournament or whatever. Of course, there still is open weight at the end of the tournament, but there are weight classes, and we wanted to do open weight open gender. Doesn't matter who you are, what you rep, come lay it out on the dohill that and by the way, the doho is what we do sumo in. It's that circle.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like a way that rappers talk about money.
Speaker 2: Give me the dough yo. Yeah. Uh so that's that's the fun part.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter it little can beat big and he It happens all the time.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of open weight, all right. So right in front of you, that's Gaga Maru right there right. Did I pronounce his name? C Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, an absolute legend uh sumo wrestler, legendary sumo wrestler. But if you look at him right now, he looks so fit and so thin. You know, he was autographing some pictures where he was much larger. So how heavy was he? And what is the diet of a Japanese professional sumo wrestler of that size? So?
Speaker 3: Uh, Goago Gaga used to be very very heavy, like I think, uh four one hundred kilograms. I'm I'm not sure where that translations.
Speaker 2: I don't do a metrics.
Speaker 3: But big boy, yeah, big boy all the way from the country of Georgia competing in Japanese professional sumo wrestling.
Speaker 2: He held his own. He did great.
Speaker 3: Uh generally, I mean it's just car bloating and it's a lot of beer. So normally, normally a normal day in sumo and sumo is it's like joining the military, becoming a monk.
Speaker 2: That's all you do. You don't have another job.
Speaker 3: You wake up in the morning on an empty stomach, maybe have some coffee or whatever, and.
Speaker 2: Then you're kicking each other's butts for hours.
Speaker 3: And then after that, eat as much as possible, drink as much as possible, take a big old fat nap.
Speaker 2: After you wake up from that, eat more, sleep more, wake up again, wake up, do it all over again. It sounds like the life of a bear it really, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, man, living the good life.
Speaker 1: There's our buddy Corey from Dallas Sumo Club. So we're gonna have a draft right after the show and then we're gonna so it's going to be teams like East first West or what how does it separate it?
Speaker 2: So that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 4: It again, it's an homage to pro sumo, and in professional sumo there's there's no teams. I mean, there's groups that practice together and stuff stables.
Speaker 3: And we wanted to make a little homage to the East and West sides on professional sumo. Generally the better people go on the East.
Speaker 1: Uh so my team will be the East.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think yours is the East Road. Let's go. I know, I think it was Yeah, I don't know. I did wait last year he is East. Sorry, we had a blockbuster trade last year too. Oh, I remember we had a big trade. So it is a.
Speaker 3: Team tournament and a solo tournament at the same time. You want to accumulate those points for your team by winning. The more points you win, the better your team does, and the losing team buys the winning team of beer at this tradition at Rollertown Showdown Sumo tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: History, and dude, it's so great being in the tap room and you're just hanging out, people are having beers on a Friday, got get god done working and then a sumo wrestler just walks by.
Speaker 2: It's pretty normal, you know, and it's just awesome. Okay.
Speaker 1: So in terms of we do have some sumo royalty in the house too, don't.
Speaker 2: We have the American Heavyweight Champion who we got so big. We got some guys with hardware here right, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna give a little I'm gonna take the time to give a little personal Dallas Sumo Club shout out. You gotta do it in two minutes. We got our friend, our friend. We have our student, mel and Hayden.
Speaker 2: They're both here.
Speaker 3: They both won gold, they're both national champions, and they're going to compete in Thailand in September for the World Sumo Championships.
Speaker 2: And we couldn't be more proud Dallas, Dallas, Baby, Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: And if you go and look at the Dallas Sumo Club Instagram and the Rollertown Instagram, Bene made some videos and you'll actually get to see him. He's got the great line. It's I will win sumo if and he says I show up.
Speaker 2: So should he be the number one pick of our draft? Well, I mean he is the heavyweight national champion.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Why you ask you such a question? I question your draft strategy. All right, Corey, thank you so much, dude. We're looking forward to this weekend. If you're listening, you're just getting off work. Get up here, hang with us tonight, hang with us all day tomorrow. This is the roller Town Sumo Showdown. There ain't nothing like it. The Dallas Sumo Club does it big.
Speaker 2: They do it right. We got a lot of sumos in the house, lots.
Speaker 1: Of beer to drink, delicious food with mull Er wag you and come on out and get your picture taken with some sumos.
Speaker 2: Corey, thank you so much, dude. It's gonna be awesome. You got to Gozion Mas. Hey wait, wait super quick.
Speaker 1: If someone wants more information on Dallas Sumo Club, maybe we've got a big old boy or gal right now that's listening and wants to join.
Speaker 2: What can they do?
Speaker 3: Hey, look up Dallas Sumo Club on anything Dallas Sumo Club dot org.
Speaker 2: We are DFW's most violent nonprofit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we should this too. The whole thing is free. Yeah, it's all free. It's all free, except well the beer is not. So Thank you, Corey. Come on out, everybody. We're gonna have a really good time. That's gonna do it for us this week. Thank you for giving us your ears. We do always appreciate it. We'll be back on Monday, and no doubt KT will have lots of good Cowboys draft intel for you. I'll never forget the time KT represented the Cowboys in the draft. Hey, look Jerry Jones dead in his eye, and he said Neil Pelkans have a throat pouch, and that confused everyone, and the Cowboys had a special teams draft. All right, stick around for more music right here on ninety seven point one The Eagle.
Speaker 2: Here you going, Well, I'm gonna get my sack back, dude, all right,