Speaker 1: We're Tom and Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest. Hell look it and walk back to another edition of the Pso I am the Tea and you're Telow Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the low and your te lot. Lorenzo my cousin husband, and you're.
Speaker 2: Here we tab Hunter on the table.
Speaker 1: Tab Hunter a twenty five pound cat who has been drawing blood lately. Oh my god, yeah, fit me the other night in bed because he got very excited. I was rubbing his belly in the wrong spot. And this boy, you have to understand, he is a big cat, and he's got teeth like a dog's teeth, and cats they will nip when they want you to stop doing something, and you know they're usually pretty good at the Tab's teeth are so freaking huge that he wound up drawing blood. It was like one in the morning, and I had to get out of bed to wash because you don't want to get cats scratch fever or anything like that. And then yesterday he wanted to jump in my seat while I was He loves when I do my duo lingo lessons. Whenever he hears duo lingo, he comes running. It's so cute because he wants to sit in my lap and learn Portuguese with me. And he tried to jump in my lap and I was wearing a pair of shorts, and he's getting old, which means he can't make jumps as quickly as gracefully as he once did. So he dug his massive sabertoothed tiger claws right into my bare thigh and then slid. I know, yeah, so I have a slash on my lap.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I don't know why we're starting off the podcast with this nonsense. Anyway, we have a pod porie of topics to discuss. We actually once again relate with this because we really couldn't pull together an entire podcast, and then ultimately we said, all right, well, it's just been five minutes on a bunch of different podcasts, like this is some sort of weekend update. So but what I do like about these pod pori things is that we don't get stuck in one thing. We're not just talking about a TV show or just talking about celebrity gossip. We have a bunch of things to talk about here. I want to start off with a red carpet topic, especially because this one's a little late. We're getting to this one, and it's a holdover from the Met collar A couple of weeks back, we were contacted by Lamonde, the French newspaper, to give our thoughts on theme dressing and cosplay dressing and everything. And I kind of love that our dislike of that sort of thing has reached an international audience. And I did say I don't think it wound up in the final piece, but I did say one of the things I don't like about this move away from fashion on the Red Carpet is that we're going to get more and more into spectacle and costumes. And sure enough, a couple of days later, the Metgala happened, and here comes Heidi Cloom in her Halloween costume, and here comes bed Bunny in his old man makeup. And I hate it. I hate it so much that people are starting to use prosthetics for events that are entirely about fashion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was. The Hollywood Reporter had an article this week about the whole The Devil's Wear product preparation for the for the Red Carpet everything, and how much they thought about all those things like right wearing costumes. They're wearing things that no costumes, you know, wearing things that the characters would wear, Yes, exactly, that would remind people of the costumes in the movie and all that. And it was just like, yeah, that that's the direction.
Speaker 1: Now I hate it, and I'm going to use my platform to rail against it. And if Lamon wants to call me up, I'll yell about that too. Listen. I don't think we're likely to see a lot of costume, a lot of makeup effects or prosthetics going forward on the Red carpet, but I do feel like I need to, you know, sound the alarm a little bit. The met Gala is not like a Marvel movie promotional event or something like that. It is not about people going out and promoting projects. It's literally about elevating fashion. It is an entire night devoted to fashion. It is the one red carpet that we cover every year that is only about fashion. It's not about awards, it's not about premieres, it's not about debut albums or anything like that. It is strictly a bunch of people getting together in the most outrageous outfits they can devise to celebrate fashion. And to raise money for a costume institute. And for me, it's very alarming. On this the premiere fashion event of the year, people are showing up in freaking rubber masks and fake noses and shit like that. And I hate that Anna Winter has lost control of this sort of thing. I think she's trying so hard to soften her image. That's why she sort of embraced the Devilwares product too, even though she wouldn't even talk about the first film. That's true, it's and now she's like letting just anybody walk onto that Macalla red carpet in anything, like Troy Savann was wearing jeans, and I was like, you know what, I've been covering this for fifteen years and she never would have allowed that. Even five years.
Speaker 2: People weren't even allowed to take pictures inside, licking the basket or anything like that. I mean, but.
Speaker 1: It's she's you know, and I get it, because this event is, you know, you invite all of these celebrities to generate the kind of press that you know this event generates, and you kind of have to let celebrities do whatever they want to do otherwise they're not going to show up well.
Speaker 2: And they have new owners. Yeah, what do you mean the Macala has new owners, you know, so to speak. I mean you have the Amazon people knowing.
Speaker 1: Well, they don't own it.
Speaker 2: They just well, if you give money, you own it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess anyway, I just wanted to rail against that because I feel like, if they're doing this at the Metgala, then yes, someone's going to show up at the next Marvel movie or DC movie or Star Wars movie work in some sort of goofy ass makeup effect. That is not what the Red Carpet is about. I know.
Speaker 2: I think I think you're going to We're gonna see that more and more.
Speaker 1: I hate it. I'm going to make such an issue out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think there's always going to be people who will say no to it because they're they're too self aware of how they look on the red carpet, and they don't want to look a certain way that doesn't go with whatever they think if their view.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the reason that I am somewhat fearful of this is that a lot of celebrities hate the red carpet. They hate the idea of fashion, they hate the idea of putting themselves on display. And I am not unsympathetic to that perspective, but I really hate the idea of stepping out in a frickin rubber mask because you don't like being photographed. Like, suck it up, Just suck it up. You don't have to wear tour or whatever. You pose for five pictures and walk off. But I think it depends on Mary in a Halloween costume is a no.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I think it depends on the person and how they feel on the red carpet. I'll give you an example of mars Ree. You could tell that she was loving all those gigantic coats on her because it's a.
Speaker 1: Weird, dumpy Yeah, it's coffee.
Speaker 2: You don't have to worry about anything.
Speaker 1: Not wearing shape wear. She probably didn't shave her let.
Speaker 2: You're completely covered up.
Speaker 1: And I fully I am not standing here saying. You know, everyone needs a manny petty. You know everyone has to be tanned and moisture and now cover yourselves up. That's the beauty of fashion. Fashion is not just about exposing the body. It's about, you know, obscuring the body, if that's what you want. Fashion isn't just about standing out. Sometimes it's about receding in a way that is eleg and the strain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but people do like look at the kardash and they're like, all right, I can't show I can't show my real nipple, so I'm gonna show a plastic one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fake nipple. Anyway, that was my one takeaway from the Macala was like, oh shit, they're gonna start wearing this shit on regular red carpet. Not that I think honestly, if only Heidi had showed up like that, I would have rolled my eyes and said, yeah, this is what we said in the in the post about her, which was this this isn't a Halloween party. But when bad money shows up, I'm like, oh no, you were opening the door. You are a trendsetter. Heidi Klum is not a trends I.
Speaker 2: Think it's people again watering down a great idea. I go back to the Barbie movies. That was clever because he was like, all right, let's pay homage to old barbiees, giving a new giving a twist, you know, giving every look a twist. That's what he did. He Andrew Komo, Yeah, that's what he did. I mean, every look wasn't exactly what the dog looked like, but it was some sort of like you know, interpretation of it. So that was clever. But then we're just like, now we're just going with you know, you know, with tennis both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate it anyway, that's my little rant. Yeah, why don't we move on to your little rant about costume design or do you want to No, No, let's talk about costume design.
Speaker 2: And I thought I thought it was interesting. I mean, it's it's very common that people watch TV, especially the young generation. They watch shows and they love monsters. The youngsters on TikTok and social media, they they love to watch what the you know, the characters are wearing, and they're going they go after the items, they want to buy the items, and they complain that the items are too expensive, blah blah blah. So the latest conversation was about Aria, which is a horrible season by the way, terrible, terrible season anyway, So what they're they were complaining that Jacob or LORDI, the character Nate Jacobs, has been wearing nothing but but tiga Veneda, very expensive items and it doesn't go with the character. So they were all there was like a huge backlash against it because he was wearing this plaid fannel flannel and the shirt is like six dollars, So which is.
Speaker 1: This is something that's been going on for a while in costume design.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: I just want to note that this was also an issue in the last season of The Bear when they were working in that kitchen wearing like Louis Vuitton jackets and Montclair and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And her uniform was Tom Brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, I don't want to jump in this is your rant, but this is a thing that's been happening with costume design for a while, and you see it in Like, You saw it in Like and just like that, where when you go back to Sex and the City, when Pat Fields was doing that that series, she was pulling from vintage shops and boutiques. The items were high label items, but she did not have a rolodex of contacts at all of the cature house, so she had to go out and shop for that stuff. And subsequently, those characters wardrobes had real personality. They felt like real New York stylish New Yorkers, New Yorkers with a lot of money. And then you come to and just like that, where Pet Fields was not involved. Pet Field. People always put anss on the end of her it is Field, I think anyway, she was not involved. And in the years since the show, the franchise had become this like fantasy fashion franchise, which is not what it was back in the day. And subsequently, all the characters in and just like that were tottering around in high heels on New York City sidewalks, six thousand dollars shoes, ten thousand dollars bags. The outfit, every outfit was you could have bought a house with it, and there was nothing realistic about it. And these are wealthy New Yorkers and even those characters, those people are not walking around in on the street with a cup of coffee in ten thousand dollars shoes exactly. That's the kind of stupidity that I don't like.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry so because if is a show for the young generation that I see again, they were very outspoken, very loud on on TikTok and everywhere, talking about how ridiculous that is that a character like you know, Nate Jacobs is wearing a six thousand dollar shirt. So bad. Excuse me that the custom designer Natasha Newman Thomas for the show came out with a statement. She gave an interview and everything that she said, you know, HBO had a very tight budget. We're very happy that. But take up and Aida you know, came and help us with the you know, gave us you know, support, blah blah blah. But it doesn't go with a character. And then she tried to defend the character, say, well, the character is trying very hard to look a certain way because he has all these investors and he wants to look like you know, he's wearing expensive clothes. But he's in I forget office someplace in his house wearing just a basic plaid flannel. You know, It's not like he's wearing a suit to go to a meeting or something. So they all complained about it. They said, it's ridiculous. But the whole the thing with the whole show is that the show this isn't really bad. And the feeling that I get is that nobody wanted to go back, Zendy Jacob I mean, they all have incredible careers now, they didn't want to go back. I think they were forced to go back. And I think Jacob El already pretty much said, fine, I'll go back, but I'm gonna wear but Tikavania, you know. And that's what he's doing and which is so against everything that we talk about when he comes to costume design. You know, we interview custom designers and they talk about the process of creating these looks and how much, you know, all the research they do, everything they do to to come up with those costumes, when in this case, you just go to the store and you pick what.
Speaker 1: You're not even going to the story. You're just you're calling up a design house and saying send pieces. Oh, and we'll just say exactly, and this is not costume design, this is you're servant. You're a stylist. At that point. The difference between being a stylist and being a costume designer is that a stylist is there to project an image on a client, whereas a costume designer is there to build a character right exactly and to make sure that all the choices that they are making for that character makes sense for that character and tell you something about that character. Just calling up Botega Vanetta and saying send over some shirts, you're not doing that. And that is and the reason I brought up in just like that is because this has been a trend in costume design for years now. You can go back to like crazy rich Asians. Because I was doing research on the costumes in that film for something I was working on, and the costume designer said, we just had you know once once everything was set in place, that it was you know that we were making this film based on this book. They just all called her, all of the fashion houses called her, and she just had to pick dresses. That's all she had to do. And at least in that instance, those people do there for that they were like the one percent they do wear those clothes. I agree, but I use that as an example of I think that opened up a floodgate of like, let's just let's just call up design houses and have them even Devil Wear's product too. For the most part, because I did think when we were covering the shoots and everything, I did think, I'm like, oh my god, they're all going to be in clown clothes. They're going to look ridiculous. And for the most part, they didn't look ridiculous. But I could tell that Andy was wearing some very expensive items and supposedly that's not who she is, right, And I don't mean the stuff that she was pulling from the closet. I mean like she was showing up on her first day at Runway in what was a very expensive at.
Speaker 2: Her excuse was that she was going to Vinture store and whatever and buying those items. That's yeah, such bullshit.
Speaker 1: That is such bullshit. It's lazy costumes.
Speaker 2: People have had the same complete with Blake Lively in her movie that she was wearing Chanel bags or whatever, you know, Louis Vuittone bags or whatever, when.
Speaker 1: Her character was not wealthy, no owns a shop. That's I hate that. It's not character work, it's not costume design. It's just lazy styling. Yeah, all right, are we done with that anyway?
Speaker 2: I just think it's an interesting conversation. I wonder what you guys think. Do you care if they're wearing those items? Do you think you know it's at all? I mean, I guess you should love fashion. You see these items right away when you watch a movie you know, or a TV show, you recognize those items. Does it bother you? Do you care? Anyway?
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a sharp break and we'll be back to talk. About more things that have piste us off this week. We'll be right back. We're back, and Lorenzo has a whole bunch of TikTok stuff about Billie Eilish, and I gotta say he started telling me about it. I'm like, I don't, I don't understand. What the We'll just save it for the mic, So go Lorenzo.
Speaker 2: Billy Eilish, bless her heart. She has good intentions and and she but she always makes those statements that people are always talking about it. And you know, like when she said that you all look like me, you know, and or she talked about the billionaires, why don't you give you money to everybody? You know? Or the illegal immigrants you know, talking about that, you know, you know, that's not your land.
Speaker 1: That's little, all these things. You're just talking and you look like me.
Speaker 2: You look like me. It's when she was on stage in Ireland and she said that she looked at the crowd and she said, wow, you all look like me. And there was a huge backlash against that because people were.
Speaker 1: Like, all right, they thought it was racist. Talked I thought it was racist.
Speaker 2: We talked about that one the I know, some of the other ones The other one is she was at the ws the Washington what is it, the w s J magazine, Wester Journay, Thank your magazine, Uh Innovator Awards, and she said, you know, she looked at the crowd and she said, oh, you were a bunch of billionaires. Why are you a billionaire? Give your money away? And they all again backlash, You are a millionaire yourself, so why aren't you giving you money away? As well? I'm just repeating what people were saying.
Speaker 1: Then I think that's bullshit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought the Ireland thing was bullshit too, but okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: The other thing was the Grammy Awards two tenty twenty six. She said no one is illegal on stolen land f ice and then against again. The backlash was like, well, you live in a mansion. Why don't you give you a mention to the immigrants?
Speaker 1: These are all very I know. I'm sorry. I don't agree with any of these.
Speaker 2: I agree, but they just go after those statements and I see where she's going with this. Well, let me go to the glass. That's pretty much it. And then the last one lately, because she's promoting her documentary, is that she said she was asked about because she is vegan and she's been vegan for a long time, since she was a little girl. And then she said something about you cannot love animals if you eat meat at the same time, something like that, and that one has really exploded. All that one is because you can't talk about meat without having a huge discussion about it. So anyway, and then she wasn't finished. She went to her Instagram account and she kept saying, you know, you know, stay fucking mad at me. I don't give a fuck, and those are her words. And then that she wasn't done, she started posting on her story all these horrible images of animals and getting tortured and stuff like that. So anyway, so.
Speaker 1: People I respond to number one, I think, oh, people are made of Billie Eilish. I'm like, oh, it's a day that ends in wide. A female pop star is getting backlash, like true, and she's an outspoken female pop star, so anything she says is going to get backlash. That's number one. Number one too. I do think the animal thing is inflammatory as hell. I mean, you can't go around it's one thing to advocate for veganism or vegetarianism or to talk about the cruelty of the meat industry. But you if you go around saying you can't claim to love animals like ooh girl, no, no, that doesn't fly. I eat burgers and I love my cats, and there's no I don't have any sort of problem with I.
Speaker 2: Don't eat meat. I understand what she's saying. I understand, and it is a very touchy subject, even when I talk to my family or my brother loves meat and he.
Speaker 1: Looked at me like he's crazy.
Speaker 2: We were we were in the Netherlands and he was preparing dinner and I said I don't eat meat, and he looked at me like, no, no meat at all. You should want that anyway. So I tend to avoid these discussions because they're they're heated, and I understand why. And the point people were making very mad at her is that not everyone has the money to be vegan or vegetarian. It's very expensive to buy food, you know, vegetarian food or vegan food. That's what people were saying. I'm repeating what people were saying. They were also saying that you should go after the animal farming industry, not people who actually eat meat. And also the cultural part of it. That there there are many many countries, many many places where people eat a lot of meat. It's part of their culture.
Speaker 1: Now I agree with that. I mean it was a very anytime you have these discussions, they almost always come from a place of privilege. To deny yourself, you know, meat, to have a meat free diet. Pardon me. It's indicative of privilege for most people.
Speaker 2: Right, And I just want to make one more point before you make your argument. People were also saying, which is true. I went and checked that she has to deal with cosmetic companies that test on animals. Yeah, I mean that's I mean, it's out there. I mean I.
Speaker 1: Didn't think cosmetics companies did that much testing on animals.
Speaker 2: And do what are you talking about this?
Speaker 1: I do think got rid of most of them.
Speaker 2: I don't think so anyway. So that's what they were saying, that she's a hypocrite, that she has a lot of money, and that she throws these things out there, uh, to create this kind of backlash and then you know it doesn't have much to back it up.
Speaker 1: Okay, what I hate about this is that it, uh, it's just the same old celebrity should not speak up, right, and they should just count their money. And I don't believe that. I don't believe that. She has always been an artist who has convictions about certain things, and she's always been outspoken about certain things. And the idea that, oh, you're a millionaire, you shouldn't talk about veganism, well, that's just bullshit. That's stupid. And the other thing is, uh, I really dislike the idea, like you can't listen. The whole thing about you know, being on stolen land and everything is it's so easy to turn that against someone who makes those comments, you know, land acknowledgments and that sort of thing. It's so easy to paint people who may those sort of comments as just out of touch liberals or whatever. But there's nothing wrong with pointing out, you know, the colonialist history of America. And the idea that she shouldn't because she lives in a mansion. That's that when people say you shouldn't talk about that because you live, well, that's bullshit. That has nothing to her. Living in a mansion does not have anything to do with us stealing land from indigenous people. That's not the same thing, right, And it's fine for her or anybody else to talk about it. It's like that cartoon that you see on social media all the time where it's it's like a peasant saying we should, you know, improve society someone and then the person is like, curious, you you're but you're part of society, you can't you know. I guess this goes back to certain things like when we when we spoke out against Dulchankabana for for all the racism that was in their work, or when we spoke when we spoke out we wouldn't for Johnny Depp because you know, his divorce case got so ugly and everything, and we made statements to that effect, we're not going to cover this, you know, blah blah blah. We're standing on principles, and then we were attacked for the routinely to this day. Oh you people will just pick something and say, oh, you spoke out against this, but you won't speak out against I remember that a bunch of people went to Dubai for some event and we made some comment about, you know, the human rights abuses against LGBTQ people in you know, the UAE, and we got a bunch of comments about, well, I guess you don't care about how they treat women. So it's one of those things where if you speak out against something, someone will eventually well immediately say, well, why aren't you speaking out against everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my experience, go ahead, My experience would no, no, go go. My experience would Celebrities in general saying anything is that it's fine when you agree with them, it's not okay when you don't agree with him. Uh. In general, that's how people, wow, the public reacts.
Speaker 1: Listen, if some celebrity wants to make some maga conservative commentary, that's not the right to do it. I don't think they shouldn't do That's.
Speaker 2: Where I'm getting it. Like, you know, we can't be mad when people support Trump or or anything and then talk about all these things horrible things, you know, and then.
Speaker 1: At I can be mad at them.
Speaker 2: I can be mad at them, but my point is that they have the right the right to say it. That's my point. They have the right to say that these horrible things in my opinion. Yeah, and then you know, she means the only problem that I have here a little bit is that she throws the line and that's it.
Speaker 1: She's young and she's young. Yeah, yeah, I'm not saying she's some yeah that she's well considered or anything. I think she's an artist. I don't think as a spokesperson she's the first person I would turn to. But she's young, she's outspoken, and as far as I'm concerned, I think her politics are largely in the right place. The other thing I wanted to point out was the her calling out billionaires and people saying, well, why are you doing that? You're a millionaire and people, the difference between a million dollars and a billion dollars is just almost unfathomable, and the power that billionaires hold is not even comparable to what your average millionaire pop star holds. Like, I don't even know in twenty twenty six, with Elon Musk out in the world, Jeff Bezos out in the world, how you could possibly think that they are comparable to Billy Freakin Eilish right.
Speaker 2: I agree, I totally agree. I just think that in her case, specifically, she tends to just throw one line there, you know, it's just one liners and then okay.
Speaker 1: But I guess my hackles are up whenever some young female star is suddenly getting slammed for having, you know, saying something or saying the wrong thing or doing the wrong thing. I just have a tendency that like, all right, let's take a step back here. I don't think she's anybody should be looking at her for their politics. Not really. I don't think you should be looking to celebrities for that sort of thing. But I do think they have the right to talk about the world as they see it. They are artists. That is their job.
Speaker 2: I agree with all that, but you can't, Okay, I'm gonna be brutal here. You can't phrase something like you cannot love animals.
Speaker 1: I agree. That to me is she shoots her mouth up. That's stupid. It is stupid.
Speaker 2: I see your point. I love animals, I don't eat meat. I know where you're coming from, but that's not well.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like the Ireland statement. I know exactly where she was coming from. It was a stupid thing for her to say on stage. But we talked about this the last time. When we were in Dublin. I turned to Lorenzo and said, I feel like I'm at a family reunion. We're walking down the street and literally everybody looks like me. But I'm not a publisher. She didn't say that on stage. I didn't say it on stage, okay, and I agree that's the difference. I know where she was coming from that, but it was not smarter her to say.
Speaker 2: I just want to add one more thing. There's another video of her talking about how much she she took pr lessons or whatever, Yeah, and how much she hated it and she stopped taking them.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go, there you go, all right? Have we yes? Yes, we're beat her up.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that we took opposing sides on this, because yeah, I didn't want us to do a hole this, this young girly is wrong. Now I'm actually going to defender she should say these things, and people need to back off. Just be whatever. Who cares if she's a millionaire, she's led to speak. Anyway, Why don't we take a break and come back, and we have a few things to say about the Camp Film Festival. We'll be right back. We're back, and we might be ending this very quickly because the freaking workmen next door have started banging.
Speaker 2: Nightmare. Oh my god, I hate them so much, and I'm sure some of you have experienced something similar, but my god, I hate.
Speaker 1: It's this massive building project that has been going on for a year and a half. They are way behind schedule and I don't even think they're not. I mean it'll be another nine months probably. I hate them.
Speaker 2: I'm so annoying anyway.
Speaker 1: Can't film this. The cam Film Festival is underway. And when you know, in our line of work, there is a calendar that you look at in terms of when when the red carpet's going to be heavy and when it's going to be light, and you you know, we have these discussions every single month, and every April we always say the same thing. We've got the met Pala in the beginning of the month, and then we'll have the cam Film Festival. The CAM Film Festival used to be later than May. But you go into these things knowing when the major events are, when the vent Is Film Festival is, when Toronto is, when all the awards ceremonies are, when the big blockbusters are coming out.
Speaker 2: And because of what we do, we get excited about these things because we're going to have more more red card.
Speaker 1: This means money, money, money for your uncles. And it came out this this month that and there was an article in The Hollywood Reporter this week that most of the American studios are not coming to camp and there will not be any major American releases that Can, which means there won't be a lot of major American movie stars at CAN and that frick I.
Speaker 2: Don't understand that. What is the what is there the reason behind it?
Speaker 1: From what I read was that, well, first off, they didn't like they talked about that last Indiana Jones movie, which apparently got a lot of booze at CAN, and I mean they boo movies all the time, and then it did poorly. There were a couple other like big Blockbuster. I think was it Mission Impossible or maybe it was Top Gune one of those. Anyway, that these big amusement park movies that American American studios do now are not getting the kind of reception American studio executives would like to get at the Can Film Festival, and so they they think that, you know, well we should just skip it, and you know whatever. It's not for me to say whether that's the correct way. I mean, I'm not a studio executive. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't care about real movies anymore. I a real discussion about movies.
Speaker 1: I did think I don't know if this is related or not, but I remember when the devilwaar Is productwo thing was fully underway, and I said to you again, because you always think of these things, I was like, Oh, they'll be going to Paris next. I'm sure we'll be covering them. And they didn't go to Paris. No, they didn't go anywhere. Yeah, And they did a London one and that was it. And they did Tokyo and Seoul and Mexico City, and I think they did Berlin, but most of those were just photocols. I was actually really surprised, but about Paris, I was like, it's a fashion movie. How are you not opening in Paris? But I am starting to get the impression that a lot of these international premieres and stuff are just not looking lucrative enough or worth the I will say these massive ones, like when they do the big London premieres, premieres in the UK or massive, I'm always like, how much did that cost to pull on?
Speaker 2: What I have noticed lately, because I look for pictures every day, is that they're doing more fan events.
Speaker 1: Because that's easier.
Speaker 2: Because it's easier, it's smaller. You know, everybody's gonna love the movie there because they're fans and no celebrities.
Speaker 1: No one's going to start yeah, yeah, yeah, and yeah, you only need like two or three cast members to show up to a fan event.
Speaker 2: Or even sometimes they don't have anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's just interesting. And then the other thing I just wanted to tie it to, uh, Colbert is ending next week and the whole late night talk show thing is up in the air as to how long it's going to continue. I don't think they're all going to get canceled anytime soon, but they are embattled. And again, it's one of those things where that leaves a hole. Colbert not existing actually leaves a hole in our coverage because we probably cover at these three or four appearing is a week on his show. It's not going to be some sort of massive financial hit for us, but it's just one of the many ways in which you know, we kind of constantly have to shift our expectations or what we're One of the major things that are being talked about right now with celebrity promotion is the fact that so many of them are going onto podcasts now, but they're not going on to talk shows. And part of the reason they're going onto podcasts is because they don't well. Part of the reason these podcasts are becoming so popular is because you don't need unions to pull them off, so you don't like you would with a television show. So now you can go out and promote your work and you don't have to pay a union, and you don't have to get dressed up, because who gets dressed up for a podcast. That's the kind of stuff that sucks for us because if you start removing fashion or pulling away from it, I don't know how much of that stuff we could possibly.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's sustainable because I don't think it is easy. I don't think so. Because the only reason why we pay attention to things is when we see them, actually visually see them in front of us. Right, you have to see the actor all the time so that you go like, oh, maybe I should see this movie. Yeah, you know, that's what happens.
Speaker 1: It has been the way Hollywood and even the theater world and the music world has promoted itself for one hundred and fifty years is that you get performers in outfits in front of crowds to drum up excitement so I don't have anything to say about this except it's one of the many, many ships that we're constantly dealing with in our line of work. And it's because the industry itself, the fashion industry and the entertainment industry are in so much flux at the moment that nobody understands or knows what works and what doesn't. I think all of the studios skipping Can is a huge mistake for the studios. But what do I know?
Speaker 2: I mean, why would you eliminate one of the places where you're going to promote yourself.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't understand why. I know it's already opened, but why wouldn't you want the Double Wears product to a big splashing moment? I can with that cast, I still get it. I don't get it. Whatever, do you have anything else you want to add to that?
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it. It's just and again it's it's I see that with the fashion industry and the movie and lazy it's just like, oh, let's go with this and it doesn't work, and then to go back to the old fashion, you know, the old ways, and it's just yeah, it's people, it's people with money making this stupid decision.
Speaker 1: It's people with money getting lazier and lazier, like we shouldn't have to do this, we shouldn't have to put the effort in, and you know, they take control whatever is the cheapest, easiest route.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like leadership, you know, one oh one. That's the basics. I'm in charge. Now, let's change everything.
Speaker 1: And this is a good segue into our next topic, which also is related to CAN, which suddenly everyone that CAN is talking about AI and apparently embracing it. To me more. During the press conference for the jewelry came out with these very pro AI kind of I mean it set people off because again it's the way people talk about AI that that because she talked about this battle that we're not going to win and we have to just succumb to it and everything. And that's the kind of thing that makes people panic because you're not talking about this this you know, this technology in a way that's like this is how it's going to improve your life, this is what it can do for you. No, it's you have to succumb to this because it's coming whether you want. And I have never heard a technology spoken about in that way not the Internet, not social media, not computers on art phones.
Speaker 2: I was listening to someone talk about AI this morning on NPR and I and he was right when he said, we don't really understand the whole thing yet.
Speaker 1: That's what's scary about it.
Speaker 2: That's what's scary about it. We're embracing it. We're investing all this money on something that we're not know.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere. It's it's in your emails, it's in your Google it's a listen.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm on social media at the time, TikTok, Instagram, and I have the hardest time trying to figure out, Okay, is this real or fake? It's like a constant battle now that you're like, all right, is this real that you know? Is this a real picture?
Speaker 1: And the only thing I want to say about this is when then Peter Jackson came out yes, and he was he made some very I've read his comments like five times now and I'm like, Okay, this is a very confusing point. And that's the thing. It's like, whenever someone tries, especially in the creative community, tries to make a pitch as to why we should accept AI, their reasoning is always kind of muddled, and he made some bullshit point about Andy serkis never getting an oscar for playing Gollum, and I'm like, what does that have to do with AI? That wasn't AI anyway. He made similar comments about embracing AI, and he said something that is very very illuminating to me, at least where he said it. To me. It's just it's another special effect, that's all it is. And if you look at it from that perspective, like, oh, this is just another way to jazz up filmmaking, to make things. Sure, that's but the problem that so many people have with AI, especially when it's injected into creative endeavors, is that it's putting people out of work, right, Like, Okay, yes, it's a special effect that is putting your special effects department out of work. And I know that's alarmist because what's going to happen is a lot of special effects artists are going to become AI special effects artists.
Speaker 2: That's the same reason why we scan our items, we beg our items when we go to every store because they don't want to pay people, not because it makes it more practical or easier for us. No, they're just eliminating.
Speaker 1: They're eliminating jobs and pushing it onto right in the case of creative use of AI, they're eliminating jobs. And what they're putting out so far from what I have seen about like AI videos and stuff like that. They're putting out stuff that looks subpar to me. It does not look as good as the best digital special effects I have ever seen on film. It never does. The people never look fully believable, the backgrounds don't work, the voices sound weird so.
Speaker 2: As of now.
Speaker 1: But my point is, you're so pushing this thing on us, and none of us can say why. The idol's and the only reason the people with the power are pushing this on us is because it's going to eliminate jobs, because it's going to make things cheaper.
Speaker 2: And they're going to make more money.
Speaker 1: And people like to mean more. You see actors embracing it now, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon Reese, Witherspoon to me more all coming out and making these you know why money because they're investing.
Speaker 2: Because the all the names you mentioned are producers and they create shoes and they have their own companies.
Speaker 1: So they're cutting jobs. They're cutting jobs and making subpar products. But I also want to say, the reason you're seeing so many people I think in Hollywood make these comments more and more is because they're scared and they know that they can't I mean, they have to embrace that otherwise you know the future's coming. And I think this is what to me, Moore was trying to say. The future is coming whether you want it or not. So people need to figure out how to get on board with something.
Speaker 2: It's not going to go away. It's not going to go maybe you will get reshaped or something, but but it's not gonna go away. It's it's part of the future. Now.
Speaker 1: I mean, I agree, and saying this is just acknowledging reality. It's not. I am not advocating that we should embrace AI. I don't use it in my search results, I don't use it in my emails and my pledge to you never never will we use it on the site. Nothing on the site has ever been written by AI or anything like that. But it is an inevitability. And I do think sometimes when people I think the backlash against it is sometimes as poorly informed as the people who were advocating for it. And that's really all I wanted to say is that it's coming for Hollywood. Hollywood is going to embrace it, and honestly, it'll be up to us as the consumers too. You know, if you see some shitty Lord of the Rings movie that was done with AI, don't buy a ticket, don't support this stuff. That's the only way it's going to It's never going to go away, but we can force it as consumers to be used in a way that we want it to be used, and not to have it forced on us with shitty special effects and stuff like that. That's the end of my rant. I'm sorry, No.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you. Yeah, I think you can use all this stuff to help humans to do a better job. But when you take the work of.
Speaker 1: The human using it as a shortcut for human labor, I mean, all technology provided shortcuts to human labor, but the product has to be as good. It's sort of a lot of people aren't going to like this, but it's sort of like cake mixes. Cake mixes made it so that everybody could bake a cake, but no cake mix is as good as a cake from a bakery, and you sort of have to make that, you know. I'm not arguing against cake mixes, but I just want to make sure that we still have access to really good baked goods. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: The same thing the typewriter. We don't have typewriters anymore. We have you know, keyboards, but but you're.
Speaker 1: It's still the writing long hand anymore.
Speaker 2: But it's still your brain writing this stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just what's scary about it is that the people who are most invested in this literally in every sense of the word, are the ones that are pushing it the most, and they don't seem to care about the effects that we'll have on the people who aren't going to make money off of this.
Speaker 2: It's always people trying to make more money. They don't care. It's the same thing, I mean, the people will benefiting from destroying the environment and all those things. You know, they just want to make more money.
Speaker 1: All right. I think we have ranted and they're grinding or something's going on next door, and I apologize for the noise, but we're going to end it here. We will be back on Friday with the Bitterkin Movie Club. We are doing. My name is Dolomite, Dolomite is my name. I always get that wrong. Dolomite is my name. We're doing that on Friday, and then we'll be back next week with whatever crosses rise, it crosses our does. Until then, take care of yourselves, love you mean it.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye