Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to the fire Escape cast. I'm Mike Mahardy. Don't have any rhymes today. I'm gonna be I'm gonna be serious from now on. I'm gonna be a straight lace host. I'm gonna i gotta be go back to being the straight man. I feel like I gotta be the the audience stand in for these two jokers. I always show up with Mary Kish Wizzlezle Wazzle and Dan Rikert.
Speaker 2: Serious, Mike, Okay, let's get serious here.
Speaker 3: Today on Blake Club, people will were giving me a ship because I didn't know there was a moral to the odyssey. So all right, serious Mike, what's the moral of the odyssey?
Speaker 1: You never truly come home from war?
Speaker 2: That's wait, that's closer to what I said.
Speaker 3: I said something like, uh oh, there's no place like home or something like that, and they were like, no, it's about war and how the repeated volleys of war will carry us through the ages or something, and everyone everyone in the chat was like, I can't believe this idiot doesn't know about the follies of war moral and oh jeez, I.
Speaker 2: Had no idea.
Speaker 1: I still have not seen the movie. I told you guys. I wanted to know.
Speaker 3: The poem, you know. Yeah, it's based on a poem. It's based on it's been around for a while. Oh yeah, it was that a Bukowski. I think it's mister Rogers.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, shit, now I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 2: I thought he's an author.
Speaker 1: Now I thought it was I thought it was Ocean Voong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I still have not seen the movie. New York tickets have been very hard to get unless there are like ten pm showings.
Speaker 2: We went at ten am. Yeah, we did the early one.
Speaker 1: I normally would not mind at ten to one am. However, the only Imax, the Imax we would go to is on the Upper west Side, so it's like leaving the Upper west Side at one am to come back to my neighborhood would be a bit of a pain.
Speaker 3: So I think there is a major fucking marketing issue with Imax. I think it is like because it should not be this fucking hard to realize, like especially a movie like Yeah, I run out of this with Avatar in this. Movies that like a big thing like these are like the movie theater movies this was shot and all Imax avatars, all this three D and everything, and like I'm someone who sees a lot of movies and I don't know, like, okay, so there's seventy milimeter, there's the Imax with laser, there's the Adobe Digital, there's the you know, like and I can't figure it out. I think for your average person who just wants to see the best version, it's like it's so fucking confusing. And also Imax is like an aspect ratio thing, and my understanding is it's like almost closer to four x three. It's a really big, big, tall aspect ratio. But then Imax seventy milimeters is like this fucking it's it's like six inches tall and like two miles wide, And it's like, how is that both Imax?
Speaker 2: This is a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It reminds me of when like Xbox Game Pass rejiggered its tier. It's like the tiered subscription. I was like, okay, just tell me which one is gonna give me the most games for as little money as possible. I just want to know, Like PlayStation did that when they first.
Speaker 2: Reach that it was not much better.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's yeah, just tell me how I can play this or that game. And like I had to install an app or a plug in on Steam to tell me stuff that's already on game Pass, Like I just I just wish things were not this difficult. And yeah, I still have not seen The Odyssey because I I don't want to see it not in imax, and that's.
Speaker 2: Which one are you gonna see?
Speaker 1: I think the seventy million meter, But that's the.
Speaker 4: Time, just drop let it to you. I saw it in a broke boy theater for regular people.
Speaker 2: And it was, oh, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I prefer those kinds of theaters for most movies, like The Angelica on Houston and the New York is awesome, like really old school. You can literally hear the subway go by like what seems like behind the screen because you're around.
Speaker 4: Fine. It was absolutely fine. I felt like I saw the film like I saw everything. Sometimes it felt a little zoomed in. I think that is the truth, because there's a lot of action sequences. I bet if it was a little wider, like a little taller, I would have seen a little bit more. But it was one hundred percent fine. And I don't think you need to I don't care what anyone says where they're just like this is the ultimate way to see this film. It's like, no, it's not. You made a film. People are paying money to go see it. If it was a bad film, people wouldn't pay to go see it. It's totally fine to see it in any theater. It's fine.
Speaker 1: I move my I've I have avoided like spoilers in as much as you can avoid spoilers for something that like, those events have happened in forty million stories since that was first written. But my one friend did text me saying, hey, I'm not a spoiling thing, but there's a scene that's gonna make your misophonia go crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh I know exactly what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: And I've heard a few more drip feed of like the scene, and I was like, okay, so it's that, but it's grosser than normal.
Speaker 2: Oh there's some glory, slurpy sounds going on in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't wait for that. I like, yeah, noise canceling headphones just for that scene.
Speaker 3: Oh it's pretty long one too. They're growing it down for a while. Yeah, can't wait.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I Mary similar to you, I value the venue itself over like the format. I'd say maybe to my detriment, But I don't know. I'd rather go to like like an old school theater that has a bar upstairs or something like that, and then like some cool spots nearby for dinner and not have to go to ten pm. But I don't know, I'll see it. I'm going to see it.
Speaker 4: It's not like you're not going to see it. It's basically like the movie of the uh, it's like the movie of the summer. You're going to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I just I hate the idea that everyone's like, you have to see it, and I'm like I hate every time someone's like you have to see this in IMAX and it's like, fuck off, you don't have to see it in anything. There's forty two theaters in the United States that show it the way it's supposed to be seen. It's there's like something like whether you like intend to or not, it's just like it's very elitist that like they're only a way that you can see it. Like Dan didn't even know how war works, and he fucking is like, oh, I think I saw it the best way possible. You don't know what you saw.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm specifically saying I don't know because I think it's confusing and bad to do it this way.
Speaker 1: Which one did you see?
Speaker 3: Uh? I think it was IMAX with laser. Okay, So I'm saying, Mary, I don't know if I saw the best way. I just like I'm saying, I had no idea of knowing which.
Speaker 4: Was supposed to We saw an IMAX, and you don't understand the movie.
Speaker 2: I want to say, no, I understand the movie.
Speaker 1: I want to say I looked on the actual AMC like the theater's site, and they showed they had screenshots of the difference. Yeah, seventy milimeter was definitely showing more overall, but wider, not taller, right, But I thought it was the actual You were still seeing the same resolution top to bottom. It was just smaller because they had to stretch it. Does that make sense? You're noting, No, I think you super are. Okay, That's the thing I'm saying. So there's like no ideal way to see the movie. Then technically you just.
Speaker 3: I'm sure people have their thoughts and stuff, but like Jesus Christ, like I'm looking, if you just search for IMAX versus IMAX seventy millimeters. You'll see these images and it's like you are absolutely missing like a lot based on what version you see.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like going to fight. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know that. I want to be like doing like a tennis match thing, to see the whole movie throughout this runtime. Yeah, I want to like be looking straight ahead and I want to, like I want to feel where the director wants my eyes to go. I don't.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: It's like a giant Most say, I get up museum. I don't want to go to a museum. I want to see Matt Damon stab people.
Speaker 2: They just need to brand things better.
Speaker 3: This is a it's a big movie, and some people want to see it the best way, and it's it's hard to do.
Speaker 1: I'll put it on Jeff Keeley and complain.
Speaker 2: Oh I know what he'll say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just posted in the in our discord you look at look at how much you'd be fucking missing.
Speaker 1: If you saw seventy millimeters. Yeah, like that's fucking insane seventy millimeters.
Speaker 2: So yes, it is the same resolution.
Speaker 3: They look like the size, but you are like missing so much of the top and bottom. If you see seventy milimeters versus Imax seventy milimeters.
Speaker 2: But then if you see I'm.
Speaker 4: You see thirty five milimeter? Are you watching it on an iPhone?
Speaker 2: Watch on your CRT? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh this is uh yeah, I hate all that.
Speaker 4: That's the only way to watch it is on my CRT.
Speaker 1: I miss give me a.
Speaker 4: Four VHS feature and I have to keep putting new ones in.
Speaker 1: I just want I want just to like, as a middle finger Nolan's next movie, I wanted to shoot it all on like physical film, and you can only use old school projectors that you got to get the dust off.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's not he wouldn't do that, but.
Speaker 3: I swear to God, after twenty years of I was having to buy widescreen TVs and stuff, if they just decided to go back to squares, I'm going to fucking damn it.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You have to have all these re releases of every game that came out during the HD era, but they have to be four by three again.
Speaker 1: That's what I want. Fuck yeah, Halo in four by three again?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, sounds all right, that's uns right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now I still have not seen that. You guys. Uh you guys saw each other a little media.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, on the equivalent of IMAX and I r L. We saw each.
Speaker 1: Other in I three sixty VR. Yeah, Mary, from your point of view, because Dan, I think you've already talked about stuff on Giant Bomb and like Giant Bomb onniences already seen it for fire Escape Crew. Set up what happened, and then tell us your side of things.
Speaker 4: These bozos came into town. They wanted to do a missed convention, which I didn't even know was a thing, but it sounds like Mysterion is an annual creention mysterium. Oh god, I had two. I had two embarrassing flubs. One is that one where I keep calling it the wrong thing. The second is is when I walked in Uh no, wait, that wasn't even one of the two. The first one was I went to a I went to the hotel where they were having the con and I paid and I was walking around. I was like, it's pretty busy and this is pretty cool, and they were like, oh, you're in the wrong con and there's two cons happening at that convention. And I bought a ticket for a card convention which were trading Pokemon card.
Speaker 3: All the Pokemon guys were given the miss guys wedgies.
Speaker 2: It was a slaughter. They were the Alps. They thought, yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: It was a massacre.
Speaker 2: It was bad.
Speaker 4: I mean everybody was avoiding the Pokemon cards guys. Those guys are muscular and they are not messing around. There was a lot of Pokemon cards to trade. I did end up walking around later and at least so it was super embarrassing, but I like walked around for a little bit being like, I didn't even know mist had a card game. This is so neat that all these all these missed enthusiasts are just walking around trading cards. I was at the wrong con. It was the same hotel, different area of the hotel.
Speaker 1: Were you saying all this to yourself out loud?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we look at all these missed cards card game.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: They're like, who is this stupid idiot? I walk into the hotel to meet you guys, and they're like, oh, that's not the right con. I was like, well, looking forward to buying a second convention ticket. We go to the second con missed con f Mysteriums Singular, and I went and I talked to a guy. Everyone was very nice. I s will say that everyone is so kind and they're obviously like lovely and I I sincerely was excited to walk into this con and meet everybody. And a very polite person said, Hi are you uh do you? Are you familiar with MYSS? I said, oh, yeah, I've played some of the first one I played Rivian and he was like, ri Ri Rivian is like an electronic car.
Speaker 1: I just saw the audit cha the other day Matt Damn was great.
Speaker 4: I embarrassed myself Multini. I went, yes, of course, Riven, I've played some of that. That's great. And then we did some puzzles. Some we did I don't know, but it was any other language numbers, miss numbers.
Speaker 1: So correct me if I'm wrong. You went to this because Mike Minatti is super intimist.
Speaker 3: Well, Mike and Jan and Grubb do a series on on Giant Bomb where they play Missed. I have never seen or played Missed at all. So, but we also we wanted to do a road trip. We was one of our incentives from like a big stream we did last year. So it's like, all right, this we get excuse to get a road trip in So we flew into San Francisco and then it's like a fourteen hour drive basically up to Portland. So I just kind of tagged on for the road trip and then went to the misconvention, and again everybody was like superretuper nice. It was like really quaint, and the way they put it together was really fun with all the like different puzzles and stuff, because you know, it seems like myst is very puzzle heavy, so it's just fun just like sit around table doing a bunch of like weird Sodoku and you know, design a mist creature. I designed mine, put it up on the wall and stuff, and then grub him nodding. Chuck did a trial of a character that was in Mystay, and that was fun to watch.
Speaker 4: The dad and it was like whether or not he was a good dad. This was actually really informative for me because as someone who's not super familiar with the Missed Universe, I like read to Wikipedia articles to at least understand what he has done. And it looks like he like trapped his sons in books, but his sons were.
Speaker 2: Evil, so illegal.
Speaker 1: Isn't that Expedition thirty three's plot too.
Speaker 2: So that's a painting. That's a painting.
Speaker 1: They it is not illegal to.
Speaker 3: Put your kids inside a book. That's what I would have said if I was on the phone. Yeah, that's the same lot as Jumanji.
Speaker 2: But they're in a board game.
Speaker 3: That's a board game. Yeah, and the Tron is a video game. Is miss the odyssey of.
Speaker 1: Just modern storytelling, tweaking misst miss Rivian. I'd be curious to play oud it.
Speaker 3: It is just like point and click puzzles and stuff like that. I could see that aging fairly well, Like I am kind of curious there was isn't a lot of passion for it.
Speaker 1: The Witness is considered a spiritual successor to it in some ways.
Speaker 3: Right, Like I love the Witness, I love Blueprints. You know games that, like people say, are like, oh, this is totally like a mislike experience. So I could see myself like it, and it's just it was like a PC thing back then that you know, I didn't play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see it some aspects of not having aged.
Speaker 4: Well, it's still good. I think that what's really fun about the universe as well, or at least the con is that a lot of the people there was like another game that I wasn't familiar with. But there's almost like an open world game where you could play with your buds. And that's really what makes the con active is all these people made friends in the open world version of in the Missed universe, and that I think that's a huge community build for them, is that they all played in this server together for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was like an online Missed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's not. I don't think it's there anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh okay, interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, apparently that was like very popular. Now. When we were doing the sudoku, Dan said, I challenge all of you to that I'm going to beat your times in sudoku, and got really into it. We all were like heads down and then it looked up and you were gone.
Speaker 3: Because I won you and I didn't want to rub it in. It was a nice quiet convention. I didn't want to be the big aha I beat you, so like I just I won. I got the victory in my mind, which is enough. I don't need to, you know, brag or anything like that. So I just set it down. I threw it away. Actually I didn't want to make anyone feel bad. And then I walked out of the convention. It would be out of characters for him to gloat, right right, Yeah, I was being polite. So what else did you in Portland?
Speaker 4: After? In between the con I took them to some good dinners. It's always fun challenging myself to what the the boys will eat because Dan likes I'm gonna speak for you, Dan. I think Dan likes to eat well and to eat like nice foods, not super fancy or anything. But I think you like a good restaurant, and I think you have dives. I like dives to you like dives too, But I think you appreciate a good restaurant. Oh yeah, definitely, whereas I'm not sure some of them do. I think it's very particular of eating like pretty much meat and cheese.
Speaker 2: Yes you do? Yeah, wow much?
Speaker 4: I say that was that Dan soundboard? That's crazy, Yeah, weird, weird, that's Minati.
Speaker 1: I've heard he's picky, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's way worse than I am. Definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would say you've gotten better over the years, Dan, like.
Speaker 2: I've gotten much.
Speaker 3: I think even at my worst, which was probably like my twenties and obviously younger, I don't think I'm as bad as like Manati is now, I don't think I've ever been to that level. What about grubbing jan They're normal human beings, Okay, cool, Yeah, I mean relatively to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we've got like slight tangent.
Speaker 1: Like when I travel for work, We've got some coworkers who they'll travel to major food cities and then just go to like the cheesecake factory.
Speaker 3: That's what drove me fucking insane. When we went to New Orleans, I, me and my dad did for his fiftieth birthday. And it's like I was so excited because I've been there a few times.
Speaker 2: At this point. I was like, I got all these places.
Speaker 3: You're gonna love this fried chicken place, places that aren't like fancy restaurants because he would hate that. And then it's just we were comped at Hera's because he gambles a lot and so he had free buffets there, and it was just like I'd be like, all right, Dad, so for dinner night, we're gonna go to this place. We're gonna get po boys over here. He's like what, no, no, no, no, We're just eating at the casino. And I was like, Dad, that's your birthday I'll cover it. I got some plans. You're gonna fuck. It's just a burgern Fries place, nothing fancy, but you're gonna love it. But it's it's free. We we got the buffet here and so it's just free fucking meal.
Speaker 2: He wanted to have it. The Haras Casino is dead.
Speaker 1: The kind of person who like, if there's an open bar, he's obligated to get hammered.
Speaker 3: If there's something free, it is like he's just gonna go no sound yes.
Speaker 1: The joke, it's like, well it's open bar, Like mathematically I have to get drunk.
Speaker 3: You'd be losing money. Not too Yeah, I I subscribe to that part.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, but yeah, like it's it's people tell me they will go to like cheesecake factory when they're traveling.
Speaker 3: Or that's I'm sorry, right wait, no, that's the wrong button.
Speaker 4: But my voice don't use any of the buttons. They're all the wrong button. I don't want any of them.
Speaker 2: That is one hundred percent of nay.
Speaker 3: Like we will be in New York City and he will if he sees like we have like trying to horse blinder him, like down street so he doesn't see a Margaritaville, an olive garden, or a cheesecake factory, because he will one need to go to that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to spoil a surprise, but I just it. I didn't know he was super into like tiki bars, and I have a few spots I would like to surprise him with next time he's in town.
Speaker 4: He showed me his teaky collection because he keeps he buys mugs from the different ones that he goes to, and it's funny because they're like kind of just on this nonchalant shelf, like they're not in a beautiful case or anything. They're just kind of like hanging out on a shelf. And I said that you can drink them, and yeah, that's what I said, and he goes, oh, these are display only you drink at.
Speaker 3: They're not a nice yea, I agree, go of mine. Like he took me to the t bar at Disney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: He took me to the Trader Sam's at Disney, and I wound up buying a couple of the souvenir ones there. But like Mary, I think deeply concerned him because he's going to the super special Disney bar or whatever the expedition thirty three bar or whatever, that it's hard to get in. It's like this whole secret thing. And Mary explained thirty three. I think, yeah, yeah, and it's like with the one thing at like Disneyland he's never done. And uh so she explained to him that they have all these like seasonal and like you know.
Speaker 2: Teeky mugs and stuff. Yeah, she's been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're one of them.
Speaker 4: I couldn't give a shit about it, but the fact that like he's so into it, I was like, yeah, I've been there, no problem.
Speaker 1: It was like, you pen, there are people in the world that are like aching to get into a bar in Disney World.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh you know, yes, no, no, this is like a life goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one's really difficult because I think someone has to sponsor you to get in. So it's like really really hard to get in.
Speaker 2: And he's gonna spend like three thousand dollars on tik mugs. I'm sure I had.
Speaker 1: Good for it, good for them, good for all the people are sponsoring others to get into this bar. That those are the same people who I think those are the people who went to clubs in the meatpacking district and then had kids and now go there in Disney World, who because you need sponsors to get into a lot of the clubs there, like so.
Speaker 3: Mary said, it wasn't Mary, you said, it wasn't even like that special, right, It's just I.
Speaker 4: Think it's a nice dinner, and I think that for Disney enthusiasts, it's probably incredible. It's really well decorated. But I I didn't appreciate it because I didn't really understand it at the time that it was like the most exclusive thing to get into. It was just a girl friends of mine's birthday and I was just, you know, I was I was there to support her and her birthday wishes and that's what she wanted. And I was like, cool, we'll go to this bar. And then when I was there, I was like, oh, this is a big deal, but I didn't really process it at the time. I think he'll actually like it more because he'll actually, you know, he'll.
Speaker 3: Oh, he will definitely like it more. Yes, every horse, I think so. Yeah, every time you sees a hidden Mickey mickeys, oh that's a big thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like a brief They hide the Mickey's.
Speaker 2: He taught me a lot about it.
Speaker 3: I've not been to Disneyland with him twice and I've learned a lot, and honestly, it's I it. If you were into the Disney thing, it's like it's clever stuff. It's like oh, in the hat in a mansion, you look down and there's like, oh if you noticed, like these plates are arranged to look like, you know, one plate and then two smaller ones for the ears and so like being imagine being a kid or a forty year old Mike Manati. It probably feels like magic walking through and it's just, oh, I've got a head Mickey ear and like, I get it. That would be fun.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a hidden Mickey and my Lacroix right now, if you know what I mean. Did you guys go to any dive bars in Portland while you're there?
Speaker 2: Dive bars? Mary? You went with the guys to a clown bar.
Speaker 4: I took the boys to Creepies, which why were you not there?
Speaker 1: Did you leave? By?
Speaker 3: That was the I got up at five am to run fourteen miles, so I did not drink the night before.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We always anytime we want Dan to leave, we just do a sudoku competition and he just disappeared because he's.
Speaker 1: A coward in Victory.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 4: We did a creepies bar and I don't know if you guys talked about this, but there's just Portland's very weird. It's known for that. And as we were going by, there was just a bunch of people wearing gnome hats, all gnoming it up, and Manati went right up to them and was like, can I have a gnomat? And they went yes, and they put a nome hat on his head and he hung out with them for a little bit and then went into Creepies with his little gnome hat, and there's some good footage of him rocking a gnome hat and Creepies.
Speaker 3: I'm add thing the travelog right now and I'm not quite to that part yet, but I've like moved the files in. I'm like, oh, okay, it seems like some stuff was going on that night, and that seems fun.
Speaker 4: Blends right in Creepies is what it sounds like. It's a basically like a clown focused themed bar, so there's a shit ton of clowns all on the walls, on the bar. It has a painting where the eyes, look around and like move you know, weird shit like.
Speaker 1: That choose my mind. I don't want to hang out with Mike Noddy if like everything he wants to do is like my nightmare.
Speaker 4: I urged him.
Speaker 3: Hanging out with Mike Manatty's a good time, Mike, like I, God, I would like to see it.
Speaker 2: I would like to watch it, like mar It it's a good time, right.
Speaker 4: I think very likes to get a He's.
Speaker 1: I just like I feel like I don't want to go to know a clown bar though.
Speaker 4: Or he was nice when you guys were all gone, he stood around. He stuck around for the day, which he said was because he didn't want to wake up early. So Manati apparently like stays up really late and doesn't like to wake up early. You guys had to flight and you had to leave at like nine in the morning. But Manati was there literally all day. So he finished the con, which I think is adorable. Like he went back to the con without making content. He just went to hang out with his people, just so sweet. I picked him up from the hotel. I took him to all the things that I thought he would want to see on a final day, I took him to Lardo's, which is a sandwich shop. We had a little laugh at the fact that I could take him anywhere, and I took him to Lardo's. He got a sandwich. I took him to Voodoo Donuts and he got a donut. That was he he wanted to go there. I took him to Flanders Street has he wanted to see some Simpson stuff, and I took him to a tiki bar and he got his little tiki drinks. He loved it. I mean, it's a it's a very nice tiki bar in Portland, and I was surprised he knew a lot about it. I guess he knew there. The owner is also made tiki bars that he's been to.
Speaker 2: It's Smuggler's Cove. I think. I think I went there with him, and it's the world.
Speaker 4: I don't understand. So I was like, great, you guys know each other. But they had a nice little talk about about tiki bars for tiki enthusiasts and yeah, and we had a good time.
Speaker 1: If he comes to New York anytime soon, we should go to Sunken Harbor Club. It is my favorite tiki bar bar in the world.
Speaker 2: I think I'd love to go with both you guys. That'd be funny.
Speaker 1: It's a third floor like speakeasy tiki club above like a Martinian steak restaurant, but once you get up there, it's the kitchiest thing. And they have like noise makers doing wave sounds, so it's designed like you're in the hold of a ship. And the drinks are awesome. I have Garrett Henry's cock til book. He it's my favorite cocktail of all time. I think I made you guys at the winter in La at some point the question, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: Like that orange one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good, but sounds like a fun trip.
Speaker 4: He had a good I think everybody had a good time. Oh, we did the meet up. The meet up was so lovely. We met a lot of really wonderful people and I was I was glad.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was a blast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mary, having you there was was such a great bonus, and like it was gonna be fun to do the road trip and stuff anyway, but like we have to spend like a lot of time with you, which was a blast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was great. You think when you do that much traveling and you spend that much time with people, you'd be like, this is a lot of time with these people. But I was like, this is great. Even the last day when I was hungover and I was at a teaki bar and I would not choose to do that with my Sunday, and I was like, this is great, Like we're having a good time. This guy's really into teaky shit. I think it's because you guys are so into your hobbies, Like it's just kind of fun listening to you guys talk, you know, like jabber on about whatever crap you're interested in.
Speaker 3: Okay, give a sign one a passion to each of the owners of Giant Bomb a passion. Yes, if you have to assign one, he said, we're so passionate about the things in our hobbies. What's the number one defining one for each of us?
Speaker 4: Gaming? For all of you? Okay, you're really into running right now, and you like you're so into it that you were like, I have to go to bed early and I can't drink because I'm running. I'm running fifteen miles so it's a long way. Blah blah blah blah. Like you're very into it right now and you're really into like all the different things that you need to do in order to be a very good runner. You're not half assed running, You're like fully committed to running. It's crazy. What else? Uh, He's always talking about his key kids, and we did we bought, we bought a little uh, we bought a little gift for each of his kids so they wouldn't fight over them, not that they would fight, and they and it was really cute to watch how passionate he was about making sure that his kids get something a little extra from each con that he goes to. And so we made little phone designed chochkes for his kids and that was so cute. He's very into it. It's also comes up a lot when he's like, these are the reasons that I have to like, uh, you know, be on on target and like get all my shit done. I got kids. I got to make sure I'm taking care of them. I love that for him. Manati was again the Tiki thing was shocking to me.
Speaker 2: He's number one.
Speaker 3: That's I mean, look, we're saying number one for each one Disney number one. There we go, there, we're outside of gaming Disney.
Speaker 4: He's a freak, yes, and Chuck's fairly.
Speaker 3: Normal Chuck's got a lot of passions. He knows a lot about a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Give me the freakiest thing about Chuck.
Speaker 2: Oh, dear god.
Speaker 3: He knows like all the like programming stuff, and he's like a hacker website kind of guy.
Speaker 2: He loves it.
Speaker 3: He like travels with a fancy like little it looks like a pencil sharpener, but it like grinds up coffee nuggets or whatever. What else he he knows tiki bars and stuff. He'll like drive across the country to pick up a juke box. He uh, He's just one of those guys that dives super deep in everything.
Speaker 2: He dives into.
Speaker 3: You know, Dave Clap, I could see that, yes, yes, yes, somewhere in front of ours. Okay, and then Bonus Jan and Backlar they weren't on the.
Speaker 4: Trip, but they weren't on the trip, you know them.
Speaker 1: I feel like I could do Backlars.
Speaker 4: Backlar has a boat, and he's a big boat man, and he likes to drive his boat, uh and and do speedy boat stuff. I think boats are a huge hobby. I know that about him.
Speaker 2: I don't think I knew that.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he had a boat either, I just own pinball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say pinball.
Speaker 2: He strikes me as a boat guy. I could see backlar being a boat guy.
Speaker 4: I feel like I know them better than you do.
Speaker 2: I want to try to hide it from us because he thought we would make fun of him.
Speaker 1: This is awesome.
Speaker 4: What if he what if what if he rented it one time?
Speaker 2: He told you he had a boat.
Speaker 4: I just know that he boated once.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait wait wait wait being on a boat. We've all been on boats. This is a key being a boat guy.
Speaker 1: We've all been on I almost just texted him do you have a boat? And if he said no, why I would have been like, oh, Mary told me you own a boat, And he's like, no, I just went on a boat one.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just start a thing.
Speaker 3: Now, let's just start a thing where we all just actually, he has a yacht and he's very particular about it, and everyone could just repeat that like it's fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a boat guy, right, Mike, Mike, you texted him do you have a boat? Right? Uh? Yeah? Should it be verbad him? Should we do the same thing?
Speaker 1: No, I just said do you have a boat. You should say like we.
Speaker 2: Say how's your boat?
Speaker 1: No, be like like tight sails and smooth and easterly winds and tight sails.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, Bud.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm just gonna say how's your boat?
Speaker 2: How's your boat? And Mary?
Speaker 1: You texted him?
Speaker 2: You text them and be like.
Speaker 4: Already he's already messaging me.
Speaker 2: Oh good, okay, now I'm message. Really that was quick as ship.
Speaker 4: He sent me your text? What the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: Wait? You Mike's text?
Speaker 1: Why did he send it to you and not Dan?
Speaker 4: He says we're best friends these guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to get Vinnie to text and be like, oh sorry, So well there's there's what's the saying? There's the two best days of your life or the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it?
Speaker 2: No, sure sure, backl knows yeah he'll never sell that. Yeah. What's the name is Mike?
Speaker 1: The the Super Mario time?
Speaker 2: Like oh yeah back super Mario time, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like maritime Yeah, it's super Yeah, it's a triple meeting.
Speaker 2: It's it's how he pronounces it.
Speaker 1: Those Long Island boys, Jersey boys from I know where he lives.
Speaker 2: He does say Mario instead of Mario. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I knew that but I he didn't respond. He just he's message Mary trying I guess fight his battles for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't get anything either. He only texted Mary. And is she the one that didn't text him about the boat.
Speaker 4: We're just laughing me and Jeff about this thing that happened on his boat the other day.
Speaker 1: Oh huh, barnacles and turpentine.
Speaker 4: He's a real This is a real boat tripped.
Speaker 2: Over his yacht scarf.
Speaker 1: Little little d got stuck in the bilge pump again.
Speaker 2: I like this.
Speaker 1: That I can't imagine him on a boat, But if he has one, I'm gonna be pissed that he didn't invite me on it.
Speaker 4: You guys aren't close as we are.
Speaker 1: It's entirely possible.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 3: Backlart's easier to name the things he doesn't like than things he's passionate about. I got pinball, certainly hockey. Pinball and hockey are one two for him, I think. And then yeah, then there's a keyboards, keyboards. He's got passions. He's got some some out there ones.
Speaker 1: We've all got passions, varying degrees, Tiki, Mike not. He mightn't like my pen holder. I scored in a well Fleet Massachusetts, a diving helmet with a little penholder. I feel like it's got tiki vibes. Yeah, we we we design our beach house with Tiki. Now I don't have a beach house and just trying to channel my back a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure, yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 4: All my boats are decorated with Tiki's Yeah is uh.
Speaker 1: He takes his boat to his lake house every single weekend, and then the lake house has a helipad from which he flies to his ocean shorehouse.
Speaker 2: Right, he's frowning the whole time he's on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, anyway, you want to talk about video games? Sure, yes, all right, before we dive into games we've been playing, we've got to back on our updates since the break.
Speaker 3: We do and I don't know what to make of the okay, So I said, how's your boat? And Backler says doct I'm assuming and Mike you texted him and what.
Speaker 2: Do you get?
Speaker 1: I said, do you have a boat? And then he said, uh, yes, I have two, And then I said I only have the one. Let's race them. And then he says, you don't want any of my boat? And it's a boat with three outboard motors.
Speaker 3: Mean okay? And then Mary, did you have an exchange? Yeah, he texted you.
Speaker 4: Hi, best friend, and I said, hey, bestie, the boys don't believe me about your boats. And he was like, oh my god, I have so many, so so, so, so so many, and we are laughing about you guys right now.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to make of any of this. Didn't one of you say during the break that he said the name of his boat, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is it? Mary?
Speaker 4: The name of his boat that I know very well is the s Shade Chaser.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, either you're bullshitting and Backlar's playing along, or Backlar told you about his boat to the level that you now think he's a boat enthusiast and he's hiding it from the rest of us because he thinks we'll give him shit, I.
Speaker 1: Know, into his house. And he didn't have a boat like there on a trailer. Okay, Hey, you absolutely keep boats on a trailer. If it's a pontoon boat or something, you can bring my like three of my fucking.
Speaker 4: It has three engines, Mike, you don't know boats.
Speaker 2: He told me.
Speaker 3: He assumes it's docked, so it might be docked. If he has a secret boat, he might have a secret boat house.
Speaker 4: He has so many boats he has to keep them in some kind of boat dock situation.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to think about this. That was your first answer about Backler. Everyone else you give the straight, real answer, and you said Backlar is a huge boat guy.
Speaker 2: And I can see it. I can see it. I also see it himating it from us.
Speaker 1: You subscribe to Giant Bomb. It's all going to the boat fuel.
Speaker 4: Into boat fuel.
Speaker 2: And wax and pumps. Uh, the.
Speaker 4: Ones that look like a banana and.
Speaker 1: Parrots aren't cheap parrots for his shoulder and and a plank and uh. And he drinks and and treasure chests mm hmmm. And and rapeeers and and sabers and cutlasses and birds mess.
Speaker 3: Okay, now this is getting further from something I can picture Backal are doing. He's not really swashbuckling.
Speaker 2: I don't think he is.
Speaker 4: He a pirate.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's a pirate.
Speaker 1: Who would fit in on a pirate ship. The most grub would yes, visually yes, yeah, and also just the whole deal. I think he would do fine on a.
Speaker 3: Pirate Chip, what the whole what about him? I think you can just adjust the situations. I mean he helped me when we were confronted with a lady on a lot of drugs.
Speaker 2: He thought I stole her stuff.
Speaker 3: And I think he grub handles himself well in a lot of situations.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, Yeah, I think it'd be a good he'd be a good pirate. I think, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Pirates are known to be really level headed and to never get upset.
Speaker 3: They're cool characters, aren't They always drunk and happy and singing shanties.
Speaker 1: They're also like pillaging and raping and really, I.
Speaker 3: I really, I don't think I've understood pirates this whole time.
Speaker 2: They've been romanticized.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I just haven't taken in a lot of pirate media.
Speaker 4: Love the vision of pirates. They seem like they have such a good time, speaking.
Speaker 1: Of taking something old and making it new. Mary, you and I played Halo campaign. They've all, uh, did you? So? Where are you? Did you play the whole thing or did you just try it out and jump out?
Speaker 4: I I don't think I could have played the whole thing yet. I just started. I would like to. I would like to complain and that I would like to tell you that I like it.
Speaker 1: Can I hear that you need to have one opinion?
Speaker 4: I am upset?
Speaker 2: Are you a referee? Now let it pass you.
Speaker 4: Most people when they play Halo would like to play it with another person co op split screen, and it is available for consoles in PC. I got a steam code, I set it up on the computer. I got excited, I got snacks, I got drinks. I set it up, I turned it on. The PC version does not have split screen.
Speaker 2: That's so stupid, but console does?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Does that have four that that's so dumb that PC wouldn't have us so dumb.
Speaker 4: You can play co op, but you need to do it online from like another PC, So we had to buy another cop be, which like really pissed me off because I would have I would have gotten it on console to save that experience, but I didn't know. And then we had already you know, like I had already set it up, like I had already like gone through all the motions, so we just played it.
Speaker 1: There's a this is sort of like kissing it, but no. As a PC gamer published a story seven hours ago, Apparently a mod was published that makes split screen on Steam Super eas it's not it seven hours ago.
Speaker 4: I want to sure, I played it over the weekend. It's not what they intended, and it is like a bootleg version of it.
Speaker 1: YEA, sure, it's annoying Halo Studios didn't include it. For sure.
Speaker 4: It's fucking annoying that a game that is notorious for playing split screen has a PC version that doesn't allow split screen, but the other two versions do. I find that so confusing as a consumer. That bothered me deeply. And I also think it's dumb, Like I think it's a there's no reason, there's no just le reason that if you're gonna have a split screen on all the other versions, that PC is the one where they're like, well, we need it to connect it to a Microsoft account and only one stream username per Microsoft account, so we can't do it. It obviously is like some fan dangled rule that forced their hand, And I think it's dumb and that makes me really mad. That being said, it's really fun to play Halo again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Halo Imax got its claws in the Halo system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's a stupid rule.
Speaker 3: The Microsoft account thing is a pain in the ass because it's like I got it on PlayStation because that's what Kayla gets everything on. I'm gonna play a co op with her, and like you.
Speaker 4: Didn't get on Steam because you fucking kept you know what I mean, because you can't fucking play it.
Speaker 3: I had my own frustration where I didn't get to play it yesterday because I got it, and uh, Kayla's gonna wait till she can buy it physically, and so I was like, we were going to stream it. Yeah, we're gonna stream it last night, and she said, oh, I'm gonna hold off. It's not I she would have had to buy the premium digital edition or whatever. So we delayed it basically, and so I already had it installed. I did my stupid Microsoft account thing and I was like, all right, well, I guess I'll just jump into multiplayer.
Speaker 2: Halo multiplayer it's classic. Let's do it.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna get into some blood Guld and capsure the Flag. It's going to be great. I go to the main menu and I'm like, Campaign Evolved. I see, okay, so there's no multiplayer. It turns out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, wait, I do have a question for you, Mary. Is the split screen not in the game Pass version on Xbox or did you do you not know?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You can just crossplay it. Yeah, do you have game passay? You don't have game Pass?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: No kisching, no kissing, detect, didn't can't cash.
Speaker 4: It, no kishing. I've lapsed on my game pass, so there wasn't There's not like really a strong reason to have it for me right now. So no. Also, I believe so when Steam you have to connect it to a Microsoft account, right, I think that would be the same account.
Speaker 2: Oh did detect that you're already using or like ones? I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've don't know in the past if you I was saying, if you had game Pass, why didn't you just play split screen on your Xbox? But if you don't have, right, I see what you're saying. Yeah, because I'm I'm playing it on I have not re upped game passed. Mine just hasn't run out for another few months, so I'm just playing it on Xbox through game Pass. But I wasn't playing split screen, so I was curious if it somehow wasn't in that version.
Speaker 3: But it seems like a pain in the ass. But I'm guessing it is still super fucking fun to play. I'm I'm very excited fun.
Speaker 4: It's still a joy, uh you you know, playing it relives a lot of the feelings of yesteryear. It's nice to like get back into the wart Hog and it still kind of controls the way you'd like it to. It looks great, looks fucking great. They must have redid all the art, I guess because it's crazy it's.
Speaker 1: The Unreal five or whatever engine.
Speaker 4: You did not give the face of some one who feels like it looks great.
Speaker 1: Uh no, no, no, no, I think it looks good. There is a weird thing and I'm trying to remember what what other game I noticed this in where there's just this weird like blurring effect where I feel like they're trying to replicate the way your eyes work, like with motion blurring.
Speaker 2: Let me, I want I'm curious, is that Boca?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I always see that, like the game looks good, but for there's something that seems I don't think uncanny is the word, but there's just a little bit of like a weird sheen over things that kind of like sterilizes it too much.
Speaker 2: But but I don't.
Speaker 1: It's not like I hate looking at the game by any means, and I'm having a blast. Like. It's also the they added like a couple hours worth of prolog missions before the Pillar of Autumn.
Speaker 3: I wonder, like, would you recommend like playing those, like if Kayla's never played a Halo game, like, because that's the thing is like Pillar Bottom is like one of those all timer first levels, so like, would it be better for her to have that be her first experience or should we do so? Maybe just beat the game and they have a bonus at the.
Speaker 1: The prolog missions are especially cool if you've played Reach and want to see stuff that happens between that and interesting Common Evolved. But Pillar of Autumn is still like the intro, It's like, wake up Chief, you do the analog, here's how you look, and then the Covenant assaults the ship. That second mission is still one of my favorite treeter missions of any game ever just called Halo.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, that's a great one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, they've also retroactively added some stuff. You can sprint now, which I like in general, but you can also I think I was reading Michael Hyam's review on IGN and he was saying something that I was kind of grappling with in that there are a few spots where I think I just didn't want to keep doing that litany of room after room in assault on the control room and then the library with the flood. That mission is still not great. The three four three Guilty Spark mission where you're you're you drop into the jungle and it's basically alien and your aliens.
Speaker 2: No, not what movie am I thinking? An alien?
Speaker 1: You find the footage of what's like happened and the aliens?
Speaker 4: The the main plot is that there's aliens there, There's something there. What's the name of that film?
Speaker 2: It could be anything, really, it'll come to me Bill. Bill Paxton was in it. Twister, Oh, No, Independence Day, that was damn it.
Speaker 1: There are parts you could just kind of sprint right through and no one's making no one's saying you have to. But there are missions in that game that have not aged particularly well, but they stayed faithful to it. They also added some weapons. They added the Needler rifle, They added the you can now use the fuel rod cannon. I forgot you couldn't use that in the first game.
Speaker 2: To the campaign, they've added weapons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that they added later in the series that you could not use the Energy Sword. You fought at least with Energy swords who were using Energy swords, but they didn't, Yeah, introduced the sword to Halo two. So that's cool. Like I appreciate having those toys back in the first campaign, but it still feels great, Like it's still a very well paced campaign overall, like that story is. It's ultimately a simple story, but it's effective. It's like the air of mystery around that first game as opposed to, Oh, they're attacking Earth, it's all out defense, and like Survival in two and three is like you get into the supernatural elements with the flood and Grave Mind and then four or five Infinite they kind of go all their own directions, but one was still such a like it reminds me of Alien in the sense that looking back at the first the thing that started it all, it's so much more focused and like localized and mysterious before it got all out warfare. Like there's nothing wrong with Aliens. That's an incredible movie in its own right. But it's nice to go back and replay this because I love replaying these games. Yeah, I'm having a blast.
Speaker 3: I've really been looking forward to this ever since Kayla and I went through all the Gears games, because since she was such a like hardcore PlayStation fan and we never had PC, so she was just like all Nintendo in PlayStation. Basically, this is a huge blind spot for her, and Gears was such a blast to go through, so I almost wonderful I'll go through too, and Beyond master Chief Collection is not on PS five, is it.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see if she'll turn on an Xbox for that, But yeah, it's like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seems like every headline you see about Xbox is just like it sounds like a company on fire all the time, and so it's like this year it's just like, Okay, well there's a Halo that'll be fun. I'm looking forward to the new Gears and then that I don't know, maybe just all goes to shit and maybe this is the last hurrah with like the two like most iconic franchises of the brand, you know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I don't know, like even going back to Halo Infinite. They want to your point Mary about this the split screen on the Steam version being annoying. They launched Halo Infinite without co op, right, and then they never ever got around to adding it didn't. If memory serves, I need this insane. We should confirm that, but to not launch with that, and to Mary's point, a franchise that was basically like built on co op even before Halo two came around and online the Sparks Xbox Live. Sorry they did it.
Speaker 3: It does have online co op, it does not have local split screen. I think I remember this because I love the idea of the open world, and like Bonk and I both got it when it came out, and it's like, oh shit, we would like we want to plan a good amount of multiplayer together, but.
Speaker 2: It's like it's so stupid.
Speaker 3: We can't, Like, it'd be so fun to explore this open world together in a Halo game.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think they launched with the online co op though, but they added.
Speaker 2: No, no, no online multi We did online multiplayer right.
Speaker 1: Right right, saying but they now have online co op, yes, but no split screen. I thought they launched even without online co op, which was baffling to me.
Speaker 2: They did launch with that on That's what I'm saying. They had online death match multiple.
Speaker 1: Correct, right, right right, okay, yea, I was okay, I was correct in that regard, which is just crazy to me, Like it's.
Speaker 4: The game, yeah, and they launched it without it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so annoying to me that they like they could just go back to basics with whatever the next Halo game would be and kill it and just like local split screen. We were talking about joking about going back to four to three ratio, like go back to what people loved about these shooters in two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: That yeah, I mean, Splitzkerm was such a huge part of it. I remember when Halo one came out. I distinctly remember, like because I didn't have an Xbox and so whenever I couldn't afford the other console, like oh I got the PlayStation, now I might. You know, there was a time where it's like I understand to an extent console fanboyism, to the extent of like, ooh, I want my horse to win because this is the one I invested my money into. I was never the like, yeah that said, I was never the one riding into magazines and being like fuck, you know, like it wasn't that, but I just wanted, you know, you picked your horse basically. And so when Halo came out and everyone was talking about it and I was working at funk Land, I was like, fuck Halo. I was so anti Halo for so long. Whenever my friends in high school we talking about, like, Halo fucking sucks. And then I'd play at funkal Land, like we'd have a down day or whatever. It's like, Okay, me and my buddy Quot would over and play split screen on the CRT, and I would like begrudgingly be having fun. I'd be like, god, damn it, this is fun.
Speaker 2: I hate that. I hate that this is fun. Now I want this time. I want to buy this.
Speaker 4: Goddamn it, it's fun.
Speaker 2: It turns out it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: Still really well fun. Do you know what order you're playing them in with Kayla?
Speaker 1: I mean one like this one rather I guess more specific. Okay, so you're doing Campaign Evolved.
Speaker 3: If we moved on, which we would have to figure something out because she's got an Xbox, but I doubt she's turned it on in two years. Yeah, I just in order two three uh two three Reach, I wonder. I mean, we did like Judgment and stuff. We did the lesser Gears is when we were doing that. So if we're having a lot of fun with it, and I could see us moving on, but we're just planning on doing this for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just didn't know if there's like a quote unquote machete cut of Halo games equal like Star Wars.
Speaker 3: We'll see too, though, because she doesn't like spacey games. So that's why it's like she loves dragon Age but doesn't like Mass Effect. You know, she likes, you know, fantasy. She doesn't like any kind of like set and space stuff.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Gears was like, I guess Gears isn't space because it's like Guns and it's not like in the Stars.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't really understand how she decides what spacing and what's not because Gears wasn't on Earth. That was like a solar system way far away.
Speaker 1: It was Sora or something, right, Sarah, it was like a stand in for Earth.
Speaker 2: Looking, wasn't this be real?
Speaker 1: Wasn't it the twists of Gears War two that the locusts were escaping something underground, not attacking humans.
Speaker 3: No, the Statue of Liberty is buried in the sand and then Mark Marcus drops to his knees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you killed.
Speaker 1: Speaking of other shooters with a campaign, as I understand it is that Splatoon Raiders basically it's single player adventure.
Speaker 2: Now, man, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know because I didn't really follow any of the pre release stuff, and so I was like, I didn't know if this was like a Destiny like thing. I think I thought it was a rogue light. It's kind of none of that. It's pretty straightforward. I mean, it is like you can play co op. I did a little with Manani for the quick look on Giant Bomb you can check out on YouTube. But yeah, solo, it's just like you got like a home base. You kind of build that out you can tinker with, you know, you get your different relics and things like that, like passive benefits and stuff. You can tinker with your different splat guns and things that you've seen in the standard just split do in games, so you know, the brushes, the more kind of shotgun types, the dual wheel type things. You can do a lot of customization with that stuff back at your home base and then you look at a map and you move on to like a treasure chest on the map and it drops you into an area where you might have to go through two or three levels of just enemies that spawn in and sometimes there's a mini box you have to beat in a certain amount of time.
Speaker 2: It's very straightforward.
Speaker 3: I mean there's different like packs and stuffing put on works like this one is more of a defensive minded, turret based build. This one is more of a like getting in close, like it's not a shotgun, but the splat equivalent of a shot, like that type of damage. It's it's still uses the same mobility stuff of like you're you're swimming through the ink as a squid, and there's some stuff going from island to island where you're kind of like surfing and some light platforming. I would say, but it's yeah, it's just kind of a single player that can be played co op. It doesn't change the game when you play co op, but just going from combat like skirmish to skirmish, it's fun.
Speaker 2: I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 3: I played a few hours of it and really have not felt the drive to go back. And it's not like, you know, if I was really into it, I would have taken my switch on the trip and I didn't. I took the Steam deck. It's just it's something I have to like action third person shooter action co op. You can co op, yes, okay, co op. Yeah, the co op is just like, okay, now you're just playing with someone else, which is fun. It's fun to play games with your friends. But it's not like it's a, oh, you have to play this co op type thing. It's a yeah, I'm not going to. It's not as deep as something like a Destiny or anything like that. It's way more simple. You are leveling up, you are powering up your guns, and you're getting like, oh, I found a level seven this type of gun. I got this new relic that'll give me, you know, ten percent ink regeneration or damage reduction.
Speaker 2: It's it's a weird one.
Speaker 3: I'm enjoyed when I'm playing it, but it's something that I have to keep remembering that like, oh, right, I should go back to that.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw like, yeah clips of it. It looked fun, especially as someone who at a distance, I was kind of into this Platoon universe or like rather art direction in the vibes of it all. But I never played any of them because I don't I don't know. I don't necessarily like purely competitive shooters anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same, aside from.
Speaker 1: Like Battlefield, but that's not like in Call of Duty, but those are fairly I just didn't want to go out of my way to play a platoon, so I was kind of interested in it. But it sounds straightforward to the point of almost feeling bare bones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 3: It is nice to like the ease of being able to like, oh, if I just want to pick it up and play like two levels or whatever, I'm in and out in like, you know, fifteen twenty minutes. It's kind of it's very bite sized, you know, these combat encounters.
Speaker 2: It's just the depth. If you're looking for something with a little more depth, I don't think this is it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mary, you what? Okay?
Speaker 2: Did you both? No?
Speaker 1: Never mind, we actually held this episode because the big Walk embargo.
Speaker 2: It's just just a few hours, so yeah, might be hearing this.
Speaker 1: Mary, did you also play this?
Speaker 4: I played this early as a demo, but I did play the final version of the game. They just probably added more to it since you know what I mean, like you're playing I wonder if my Okay, I think we played the same thing, but you can keep going and I they made me stop. So I'm very curious what your experience was with you played it with I played it with three other people.
Speaker 3: I've played with four others. Yeah, we recorded the video today couple hours and it's an it's great, Mary, I assume you probably did. Like when you start, it's almost like a great plateau from Breath the Wild, where it's like you kind of need to do these four things to kind of move on into the bigger open world. And yeah, you're just these like little duck dudes like Mike. I was about to make a Simpsons reference, but Marry, you know, is the thing when Homer was big Dance.
Speaker 2: Okay, they look like an.
Speaker 3: Ant sive with like a big weird round beaks and stuff. And it's a prox chat game. The prox chat is way more important than other like friends, like I actually even don't like calling this game a friends lib game because it just seems like there's more going on here. It's less gimmick, more real game. But it does have some of those hallmarks of like you're these goofy looking characters. You know, your a little horn, your little beecorns move when you talk. There definitely is a lot of humor here, but like it is a puzzle game. It is a co op puzzle game for sure. Like it's cool, like you'll just there's no real direction, You're just on this island and you'll find like these things where it's like, Okay, clearly I need to put this like almost like egg shaped thing into this to move forward or to accomplish something. So okay, I see one, but it's locked up in this box here in this kind of like building thing out in the middle of a field, and there's a room I can go into, and if I press this button it steals me off, and it's soundproof, and so it's like I'm going to soundproof room with a window and all my friends are on the outside, and there's switches out there, and I can only I can see these lights light up that indicate what order you need to press them in, and since I can't talk, the prox chat is basically cut off. All I can do is like you can raise either arm up or down, or you can point with either hand. So it's like I started, you know, like kind of coming up with the language of like okay, but to one of the lower switches, I'm gonna sit on the ground and point. If it's one of the higher ones, I'm gonna raise one arm and point with the other. And then if it's like two at the same time, I can like you know, point point and just seeing the guys out there have to talk it out, be like okay, I.
Speaker 2: Think he's saying this one and this one's lower.
Speaker 3: Like just really really clever stuff that is utilizing like the prox chat and the co op nature of this game. Like, I do not think you can play this game single player. There's no way, right, I've heard that all the puzzles kind of max out at like four players, so maybe it's the thing. I don't quote me, but it wouldn't surprise me if like or two, three or four. They will kind of modify the puzzles so you can finish them with X number of people, and then above that you can play with up to eight, but the puzzles don't continue getting more complicated after that.
Speaker 4: Is exactly right. The way they were like visioning it was like this is a wholesome game. There's not anything you could have your friends, or your children, or your nieces and nephews, in it, so you could have like little kids join you and they can just probably like dink donk around in the background while you actually solve the puzzles. But they still get to play in the world with you. How fun is that. So it's like you can have eight people. I think you're right that it's it might even be six, but it's like it it maxes out where like there's no more people needed to fill a puzzle. They won't alter the puzzle after that amount.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's fun too because you'll find yourself in these circumstances where it's like at one point, our whole group got to this thing and it was clear that like one or two people need to stay while the other two went up to this like tall area and pointed a laser, and so it turned out that me and Backlar had to stay behind. So like me and Backlar are just kind of like hanging out by this switch basically, and we just had to wait for them to run out there, and we can't hear their voice chat. So it's me and Backlarre just killing time down here, and we like found like a flashlight and we're just kind of like playing catch with it. Back and forth for a while. Like there's a lot of really emergent, fun kind of social stuff going on with this game, and you can't get lost like dumb shit where it's like, oh my god, we did this puzzle and we found a walkie talkie And this is critical now because like we can communicate from across the map because you know, if you don't have that, you're just shooting flares or trying to yell across the canyon. But the walkie talkie's great. But let's say you jump off a thing and you fall on your ass and slide down a hill and oh shit, my walkie talkie got jostled loose and it's nighttime and I don't have a light. It's like, oh my god, Like I found myself having to like go through the woods, like where the fuck is my walkie talkie? Like a lot of really cool emergent stuff like that. It's awesome.
Speaker 4: It's really worth it. I think it's one of these games that people will talk about, especially just because it's so universal. It'll work for a variety of different reasons. You can have fun with it, but it's truly for everyone. Can probably even like parents. You could like throw them in there and they could probably like figure it out. But this is like a good puzzler for gamers who want to just spend time with each other in a world. I think it's wholesome and lovely and I really adored this this I think I think the demo was like an hour and a half and I ate it up. I was like, I want more. I was really stoked for figuring out. Like you were saying, there was all these different things, there was this thing we couldn't reach, and so it eventually kind of teaches you can climb on each other's shoulders. You know you can. We were trying to find keys to get into the world. But a lot of this is all there's no dialogue. There's no text in this entire game pretty much, so everything you're just talking it through with each other and seeing if your tests work out. Plus there's little toys in the room, like the lights. You see the lights, you're turning on the lights because there's day and night cycles and you really can get lost. One of my favorite stories is we had the exact same thing where two of us had to leave, but for whatever reason, we only chose one person to leave, so there was three of us and one person left and we could see them out there and they could see us, and then they walked all the way back and said you need to turn the laser on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it wasted.
Speaker 4: Twenty minutes because we didn't know what the other person wanted. Like, it's just very cute, lovely storytelling without without saying anything. I think it's a gem. I think we should play it. I think it's very fun.
Speaker 3: I would love to. Yeah, yeah, and I do think it is yeah, reductive. A lot of people will say friend slop. This is something different. This is somewhere in between like friend art.
Speaker 4: This is like actually thoughtful and like well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is it feels more like a co op like the Witness. I don't know if it is the right example. Well you know what I mean, like solving puzzles as a group and just using your communication as your tools.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic.
Speaker 1: They look like three dimensional mister Gaman watches.
Speaker 2: I could see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there are silly little things the way they look, and you can change the color of them, which was like another thing that we ran into, like you could like paint yourself and stuff like that. Lots of creativity in this little space to play around with.
Speaker 1: Mary what is lost in found Co?
Speaker 4: Okay, so I have some little ones. This won't take long. But Loston found Co is Where's Waldo? But it's more interactive because some of the times I'm just gonna say Waldo because that's what I've used. But like, Waldo is a donut and he's hidden in a box of donuts, and so you need to click on the box of donuts in order to find it. Does that make sense? And so like the entire scene, which is like quite I mean not massive, but the size of a Where's Waldo picture, there's animations happening throughout all of it. Maybe someone is like mad that somebody's backing into them through a car, and maybe someone's like working at the register but they're trying. They're like falling asleep, and maybe there's a dishwasher, and maybe there's like two people on a date and one's really stressed out. You're seeing all these different environments happening, and like little animations. You're looking for these secrets in each space. Usually they'll give you like six and you can find most of them, but some of them they'll be like you need to discover this one, and that means clicking on everything and being like, what's this do? I like it because Where's Waldo is just like such a simple experience of finding him, But in this one, you're clicking around and discovering a lot of the different things you can do in this space, and sometimes it results in like a cheeky, cute little animation. Way too much story and dialogue for a game about finding shit. Did not love that. But my favorite part was that you can auto play dialogue, so there's a button to just let it auto run through, and there's also a button to be like, I don't want all that, let me just find stuff. And I did that a lot. I don't know why this game has so much story for finding stuff in the world, and I couldn't tell you anything about it because I skipped all of it. But I did like clicking through. This is just a this is a wholesome puzzler, This is a this is the zen. I'm watching a movie and I would like to I would like to click on a game as well.
Speaker 1: Game nice, yea, I don't need a contextual rapping for that, Like, That's why I appreciate something like is the seat taken even totally. Yes, like I just Tarotech Legion.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, we're just like I don't know what what the old aliens do is to shoot him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, more less talky age, old adage.
Speaker 4: This is a uh, this is a most Talkie of the Year contender. It just keeps it keeps, and They're like, we've got to figure this out, and I'm like, no one needs this. I don't want any of this stuff. I think actually some people do like this. I think some people do really like story and dialogue. It's just not my jam and I didn't want it for this game, but I I liked the actual gameplay when I got to it.
Speaker 1: What about Scarlett Deer in oh okay one where I was curious about this art style, Like, yep, hand sown kind of thing.
Speaker 4: This one is for all the people who've been complaining about AI. You better buy this game. It's completely handmade. Each animated frame is Yeah, it's it's incredible. It's sown. You can't ask for a more handmade game than this. It's this is the type of game that you'll watch the trailer and you'll say, oh, this looks nice. Oh this is fun. Oh okay, there's some story going on here. And then you'll get to the last thirty seconds of the trailer and you'll say, what the fuck did you sew every frame of every character? Yes, they did, every character is was was hand sewn. It's really it's really gorgeous. It's a gorgeous game, and the animations games are really good.
Speaker 1: How Okay, this shows my lack of knowledge about game design. How did they get because like they're literally.
Speaker 4: How did it get in the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm assuming they're using like a high speed camera or something pointed at these.
Speaker 2: Or is it all hand painted background? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't I don't even understand how they did that. That's crazy.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think they embroidered all of the characters, and then they probably use the images of the embroidery to make the Yeah, that's my assumption is that they digitize the embroidery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes the most sense. But that's crazy. They actually took the time to hand sew it.
Speaker 4: But you can see the line work in the shots. So when you look at the trailer, even when they're standing still, right, there's three different three to five versions of the embroidery, and you can see the thread moving in the characters as their idols. So it's it's really fucking cool. This is a testament to handmade games that obviously have taken just so much heart and so much This is a labor of love and I respect this so much. The it's also a husband and wife team. I think they like did a lot of this themselves, from the design to the music to the coding. So it's it's really cool to the game itself. You're God. I don't know where you are, but I'm gonna say Old Castle Times, as Dan likes to call. Yeah, you're in some kind of Castle Times and you have kids, and through some circumstances, you stumble across some nefarious shit going on in the town, and then your kids are gone and everyone's like the noon Witch Gottom and so you are going into the tunnels, the caravans like under the town to find your kids. It's darker than I thought, I think because of the way this was designed. I thought it was going to be wholesome, but it's actually quite violent. It didn't have too it doesn't have like a lot of gore, but like I died several times, other people died several times, I meet a lot of children's ghosts, which means they died. There's death in this. Nothing brutal, but yeah, I mean it's there's a lot of death and subjects about death in this and murder and stuff like this. I was surprised and a little disappointed. My honest reflection is that it's it's a bit more of a platformer than I thought it would be. And I don't think it's a great platformer. I don't think that's where this game shines. I think this game is cheeky, and it has really good dialogue. I think it's got a good story, and it's very intriguing, and I don't know what happens. There are times where it's a bit of a I need you to get three pieces of my body back so that I can give you this key, and so you're now you're doing fetch quests and you're finding these pieces. I don't mind that either. The parts where it was a bit challenging for me, when it was just like you're in the caves, it's really dark, and you got to jump through all of these spikes, and if you fall, you're dead and you have to do it all over again. That is not super fun, and I think you can kind of you can see that this is a mom and pop shop game a little bit for me in these moments because it's a bit rough on the edges. When you die, there's no death animation, you just you just died. It fades to black and you wake back up. But nevertheless, there was a time in the first hour where I was like, this game isn't for me because it's too platform me. But it got into some good stuff in about three hours in that I think was really worth it. And so I recommend people who give this a shot, like give it seven hours and let the story like marinate before you make your final decision.
Speaker 3: And I'm curious because I just looked up the game on YouTube and I saw a long play was two and a half hours long, and I was like, oh cool, nice short little thing. And you're like, it takes about three hours to get good quit.
Speaker 1: A minute, scarlet, but probably yeah, they're.
Speaker 4: Probably zooming through it. I don't think it's a long experience. I think when you hand so a game, it's not going to be a long experience. I think what I was just saying is like the very first hour, I was like a little nervous that it was going to be a full platformer, and it's not a full platformer.
Speaker 1: I assumed based on what I'd seen, it was going to be sort of like Pentiment.
Speaker 2: If you guys, it looks like yeah.
Speaker 4: That's what everybody else said to me. They were like, this looks like Pentiment. You have the exact reaction that. Yeah, everyone loves that's true. It just doesn't have the dialogue options. There's no dialogue options in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that requires like a whole team of writers. So I get why, Like they're not going for that totally of like three era storytelling.
Speaker 4: This is a spooky tale of children disappearing and you have to jump to find them.
Speaker 1: Sounds like it's more of a showcase for the art, which is fine.
Speaker 2: That's how I would.
Speaker 1: Look at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks it looks It looks incredible. You can see the love that they put into it. It really is beautiful. And the audio is good too, Like the music when they have it, I think is quite well done. So when it's good, it's good.
Speaker 1: I want to show that to Amanda. I feel like with her stitching and sewing, she'd be super into that. And then I'm also curious about fresh tracks because, on the one hand, it kind of looks like first person guitar hero skiing with swords. Yeah, but I know it's also called I know a lot of cool stuff I just said, but I know it's also called a rhythm game, and I don't like rhythm games. Is it like a rhythm game?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I also left out like it looks like beat Saber on skis. It's probably the easier way to say it.
Speaker 4: I think that's the right way to describe it. It is a It is a rhythm game. You need to listen to the music to do the tasks at the right time. It's a simplified version though, right, Like I think this is a simple game that they know what to do, and they're doing this one thing well, which is like you're going to go up, down, left, right, you lean left and right, you jump in your skis and you duck in your skis, and you have a sword which you swing left, right, up, down, center, whatever, and then you just collect balls. If you've seen the trailer, you'll see what I'm talking about. But like you, I don't know what they are. But the thing you want to collect her these blue balls, and so I'm just getting all these blue balls and I'm avoiding all the obstacles. It gets pretty fucking hard. I did a couple levels on hard and I died almost instantly. You do need to actually have some skills, but the first few levels were like easy and polite and very nice, and it was kind of zen. I was kind of zoning out playing this game.
Speaker 2: This is the rhythm of the slopes.
Speaker 1: That song has been stuck in my head. We rewatched that episode of Windows Bay.
Speaker 2: Oh, we just watched the finale last night.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, would you think it's great?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Real? Yeah, it was like obviously sets up a season two, and I think.
Speaker 4: That is definitely a show you season two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a show you could just do a lot of, like because even that first season was just like I'm not gonna spoil anything, but it's like, here's just a bunch of different spooky stuff that happens here, and like you can just kind of buy any of it because of the history of the island.
Speaker 2: And yeah, very fun.
Speaker 1: There's some genuinely creepy stuff too, like, yeah, especially in the later episodes when you start to see more about how things work, like eh, it.
Speaker 3: It rides the line between horror and comedy like nothing I think I've seen. I'm laughing out loud in like every episode.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly impressive. I love that show. I would be up.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not big. We could talk more about the show, like for a separate video at some point or something like that. I know the show is not like as hot as it was three weeks ago, but I still like talking about that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know what else I like to talking about?
Speaker 2: What is? Emails? No, all right? As usual?
Speaker 1: You can write into Firescape Past at gmail dot com for questions you want read on the show. Our coffers are thin and out. We got a bunch of good ones tonight, but send those in get us prep for the next few episodes. You know, doesn't have to be about video games. Some of the most fun ones are not. That's Firescape Past at gmail dot com. There's one right up top from Eddie. I want to read Dan. I curious if knew this. It says Dan and Mike speaking of the Odyssey. Fun fact that you guys might appreciate. Christopher Nolan is a huge fan of mcgroober.
Speaker 3: Yes I didn't know, Yeah, yeah, he's talking about it for many years. He absolutely loves mcgroober. Somebody sent me a clip I think it was from the View or something like he was doing the press tour for the Odyssey and like he's sitting next to Matt Damon and like Anne Hathaways at the desk and he's like asking Anne Hathaways have you seen mcgroober? Like so, Nolan is one of those people who's like always trying to get people to watch mcgroober. Which, now I like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Mary. Do you want to read this one that we'll definitely have some discussion about from Blake.
Speaker 4: Yes, Blake from Boston subgamers with a Z thank you. Can you name your mount rushmore of multiplayer maps? I'll go first, Faculty from GoldenEye Facility. Ope, sorry, I did it again. I think I know a little bit about Rivian Facility from Derby and Dick.
Speaker 1: I just I love that map. I put some respect on it.
Speaker 4: Facility from Dublow seven, Wake Island from Battlefield nineteen forty two, Blood Gulch from Halo, and Island Estate from Rainbow six three Raven Shield. Very specific. Okay, now you go, Blake from Boston. Thank you, Blake. Sorry about faculty.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, we were talking. We were just kind of setting up the premise because we each wrote down our own I'm curious we have any overlap, but we are flexing what multiplayer map means. It doesn't have to be a shooter, so keep that in mind. I guess who wants to go first.
Speaker 3: Dan, I'll have mine here, like I do know, Like I love facility, but my favorite facility moments are in the single player. I think it's a great single player level. It's a really good I mean, it's all fun multiplayer. But my favorite multiplayer level in gold Night is Bunker. That is my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah. More, I memorize all the spawn points and through proximity minds on all of them, so it'd kill someone once and they just die over and over and over again. That was fine.
Speaker 3: Number two Paris and Twisted Metal two. That is the one where you're running around, like you can go into the louver and stuff like that. You can go to the Eipple Tower and if you blow up the eifplel Tower, it falls over and you can get to this whole extra rooftop area and there's like this kind of water area where you can kind of ramp up and run over mimes and all this. It's just a really fun like multi state tow as s Middle map Western Land in Mario Party two, that was the one where everyone's a cowboy and you're going around an old West village and you have hoot and nannies. That's maybe my favorite Maria Party map ever. And then I got a real weird one for my last one, Ukadia from Warhawk on PS three.
Speaker 2: Warhawk was that.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember what kind of game that was.
Speaker 3: It was you could be you could be on foot, you could be in like vehicles like tanks and stuff, or you could be in a Warhawk, which was like a vitall, like you know, like a Salt Plain harrier type thing. And so it was just like Capture the Flag type stuff where you're flying around, hopping out of these planes, you know, physics and stuffn like running around shooting sit down with rocket launchers. Oh shit, there's a tank here, I'm gonna get get the flag, jumping a tank. It was just very very kinetic and fun, and I think Warhawk PS three is criminally underrated.
Speaker 1: All right, cool, deep cut, Mary, I can go next to you want to go?
Speaker 4: Next you you go?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: I also had a battlefield map Strike on Karkhan. That was the first time playing a multiplayer map or multiplayer anything shooter where I actually felt like I was in like an urban city streets environment, and I kind of so many shooter before that where these sci fi environments are very like like dioramic kind of small things. This actually felt like a full on city urban assault and they've remade it plenty of times, so I guess other people like the two. This one's weird headlong from Halo two. It is, I have to And there's a reason I love this because this was before the era where every multiplayer shooter map was that three lane structure with variations on it, Like there's a reason those three lane structures work, and that that's what the pros play Encounter Strike two in Call of Duty in Valeriant, like that's those kind of maps where it's like they clearly want these three lanes to be where the encounters happen. MOBA's also influenced.
Speaker 3: It is that kind of like a domination in Call of Duty has the read things and there's clearly just like these paths to get there.
Speaker 1: No, that's more like the choke points they're trying to design, like in modern Call of Duty. But there's like actually lanes down one side of the map. There's a middle lane, then there's a left. Headlong in a Halo two and many Halo two maps were very much like they didn't care about that. I actually there's a Jacob Geller video about this where he talks about being able to go back to modern Warfare two maps and kind of explore these nook and crannies where nothing ever actually happened. You never actually encountered anybody else in these houses. Headlong was very much like that, where it's like there were parts of the map my friends and I never used during System Link four v four's but this there's one building that was under construction. There was another one that was a parking garage. There was another one that was like a walkway kind of panorama thing. It was this city scape, but like when you came across people in different buildings, it felt very it was surprising, but it felt organic. It didn't feel like Bungeee really wanted that specific in count to happen. So there was like an era of unpredictability. Every time we loaded into that map. There's war hogs, there's gossward hoogs in it. Like it just felt like the emergent possibilities every time we played that map, especially in split screen or I'm sorry, system link, were like endless. But in terms of a much more authored map, Shelle is my favorite Rainbow six siege map. You get four separate starting spawned points if you're the attackers outside in the snow and the woods basically, and then the defenders are in this chlle.
Speaker 2: This cabin in I remember this one, yeah.
Speaker 1: And presumably Quebec. But like, there are so many layers to this map. Like if you go in through the basement and that's where the defense is, like you can like obviously the different operators and their skills play into it. It's like, oh, Thermite can go through the garage wall even if they reinforced it and banned it had but then banned it can counter him, et cetera. But like every floor of the Chalet has a potential is its own shooter map almost, but then the way they interact and when you have to move from Florida floor, there's so many different ways it feels kind of like if Siege made a map set in like the Home Alone house. When you watch a movie enough you get the layout of the house down pat Like I feel like that, Shelle. The layout lives in my mind where I sometimes like still dream about it. And my last one, my last one is South Pacific from Red Alert too.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 1: That is a perfect RTS multiplayer map.
Speaker 2: And I don't dan.
Speaker 1: I mean one of the funnest things we did a giant bomb and then during COVID was we figured out how to play. We got Redler two working for one v one. I didn't really play competitive growing up. I played Skirmish against the AI, but like, that is a perfect multiplayer map. It's if you if you can't google it right now. Basically it is just a small, small, medium sized map.
Speaker 2: It's an island in the shape of an X.
Speaker 3: It's almost like an H like it is kind of like you know it's going to fall up and down there and then this very skinny thing in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's ocean surrounding it, very thin layer of ocean around the map, which allows you to if you want to go naval and do the bombardments and the the submarines and the dolphins and the aircraft carriers. You can go around the edge of the map and kind of like control the outside. But what happens is you could do four players or you could do two, and they could spawn one of these four corners of the h and then the middle becomes this crazy choke point. But then there are also a ton of resources at if you're doing one v one, there are a ton of resources at the spawn points you didn't use, so those become their own battlegrounds because you're fighting over the ore. It's such a simple map, but it's I think it's my favorite real time strategy map of all time. Like when I go back to play Reddler two every few months just for fun, like that's the map I load up with with AI nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I just looked at the like I didn't know by name, but then I saw the image, just like, oh yeah, I picked that one.
Speaker 1: So simple, but I can't. I have a hard time not playing that when I load that game up. All right, Mary, your turn mount rushmore of multiplayer maps.
Speaker 4: All right, I think this one's weird for me because I don't have the experience that you guys have with these, but I have classics that are important to me, and so that's what I'm going to go with here. One Team Fortress Too Upward. This is one of the original payload levels from Team Fortress two. This is like essentially the original Overwatch where you're getting a payload to the end. Upward is the most iconic of all their levels, where there's lots of ways that you can hide in different tunnels and systems. When I was playing this, this was the map that we got really stoked to play when I was when I was younger, and like this was kind of like one of the original games that got me into gaming, so really fond memories. Upward.
Speaker 1: I remember this. It's like the corrugated shacks on the cliff and the wooden walkways. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: You could push people off cliffs, which was important and strategic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the map was awesome.
Speaker 4: This is a good one. Whatever. I was like when we got this question, I was like, I'm gonna have to google these because I don't remember these map names. This is tough for Mary. A counter Strike Source was important to me growing up as well, and my favorite map was CS Office. I don't think it is the most popular map from CS source, but Office is the one that I fundamentally learned counter strike basics and actually shooting game basics off of. So I did not understand a lot of fundamentals of playing counter Strike until Office. I spent a lot of time in these hallways sniping people and a dying, and this is where I learned how to camp behind doors. So good for her. Nice Third, we'll go into the future a little bit. I got obviously, like we all did, probably have to put at least one gears on here, but I don't think it's gonna be Gridlock. I think it's gonna be the Tyro Station. The reason I like this one is because it had a train that went through everything. Oh yeah, yeah, and so you didn't have to kill people, you just had to push them into the train.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have very specific memories of what's the using the torqubo on that map. Yeah, like getting the torqubow perfectly charged. Someone pops up and I have the headshot with the laser, and all of a sudden, the train blocks my arrow as I shoot it. That's funny.
Speaker 4: Fun I think that the train was Yeah, it could be defensive, but it was also just like one of the funniest ways to embarrass someone if you could just throw them at the right moment. A train kill was really beautiful and I have a lot of really good memories doing that. And then finally to the more modern present, I have a lot of a lot of good memories and I really still respect the map King's Row from Overwatch. When Overwatch first launched, King's Row was like the main one that I think they launched with. And this is a really fun payload map and it kind of brought Overwatch. I mean, this was such a bomb when Overwatch launched, but this was a This is my favorite map of that entire game.
Speaker 1: Yes, out side note, I was looking up Halo two maps earlier and like some this specifically sticks in my memory. Whoever wrote the map descriptions just fucking killed it. They were one sentence descriptions and they weren't like, oh, this is how this sports like. This relay station is part of a network that has kept Delta Halo funk smoothly for untold centuries or like water works as While the forerunners excelled at mimicking natural beauty, the machinery in this cavern exemplifies their true genius. But then a relic was this the one? All relic was an awesome map too. Covenant scripture dictates that structures of this type are memorials to forerunners, like there's like an air of mystery around them that I think, sure, define that era of Halo.
Speaker 2: Better grasp on just the vibe they wanted with.
Speaker 1: Ye, yeah, yeah, all right, thank you Blake from Boston. All right, Dan, this is sort of there's a question for all of us. But first, he's curious if you know what this is about. All right, Hey, fire Escape, I was recently diagnosed with Silliac's disease and have a few questions. One, does Dan know what that means I cannot eat?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna guess gluten?
Speaker 1: Yes, hey, hey, can you list foods that contain gluten?
Speaker 2: Uh? Bread?
Speaker 3: Uh? Bread, like a lot of Carby like bread, probably noodles, like crackers. Yeah, I'm just thinking like Carby grainy type things.
Speaker 1: Sure, yes?
Speaker 2: That beer?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, a lot of beer pretty sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, three out of three.
Speaker 1: And then the last question for all of us, if this is if any of you needed to give up an entire category ingredient of food, what would you pick. Oh that I would just say something I hate if Dan tried to say something on your tomatoes. He's also giving up anything containing a catch a barbecue sauce, spaghetti sauce.
Speaker 4: Like, imagine that it would give you You are allergic to it so severely that you would get like really hurt if you had anything with the ingredient in it.
Speaker 2: I could do vegetables.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this is easy, Like I feel like because we could just name things we don't like and then'll we give it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I don't. I never really have I give you.
Speaker 1: Would you rather give up? No? Now I'm now I'm thinking the sentence out loud, and it's really like I would give up.
Speaker 2: Dead rats.
Speaker 4: What No, it has to be something with my food on the food pyramid, on the food pyramid, and it like yes.
Speaker 2: No he didn't say that though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's too easy because.
Speaker 1: That's what that was my we're agreeing.
Speaker 4: Are too picky? You guys are? This game wouldn't be hard.
Speaker 1: I am not picky whatsoever. I eat literally anything.
Speaker 2: I have let us some stuff and it's like never brings me joy. No, No, it's right. I think it's fine.
Speaker 4: If you had to be allergic to meat or cheese. Which one would you pick? That's the question. I know I got them.
Speaker 2: I I mean, I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm okay on lettuce the meat. She's the thing is I'm happier when I'm eating cheese. But I feel like that's just fucked up of like if I can't have meat, but I can have all the cheese.
Speaker 2: I went, that's kind of weird.
Speaker 4: You know, like you so much pasta, you could have so much grilled cheese you could have.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I like meat without cheese, not so like cheese that meat, but like cheese without meat isn't like a meal typically.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm gonna go even harder because ciliac is like, not oh you can't have bread, it's you can't have gluten, which is like a whole genre of stuff. I'm is it meat or dairy? You'd have to give up one of them.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have a lot of dairy.
Speaker 1: What I think that we're just saying cheese and meat would be difficult.
Speaker 2: Oh, I forgot cheese was dairy.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was just reminding you cheese, okay, I thought it was milk, and I perhaps like I don't have that much milk. Oh yeah, I forgot cheese in that umbrella. Look my my My family was only farmers and grocery store employees.
Speaker 2: Why would I know this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess dairy's good, but it's just cheese. Cheese is the only dairy thing I'm I'm partial to that.
Speaker 1: You're that you yourself reading.
Speaker 3: I don't care about milk. I don't need a lot of eggs like I don't. I don't like yogurt and a lot of yogurt. Yeah, I'll get rid of dairy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So no cheese, do it for me, Mary, make one for me?
Speaker 4: Okay? Alcohol, all of it? Yeah, beer, wine, everything, okay? Or meat?
Speaker 1: I would give up well, like health for health reasons. I would give up if that concludes wine.
Speaker 4: I didn't ask for.
Speaker 2: Can we have the impossible and beyond burgers? Yes? Then okay?
Speaker 3: Then then then I'm giving up me because it's all undiscernible to me.
Speaker 4: Wow, wow, wow? The have you ever had day cheese? You can?
Speaker 3: I know there's some stuff you can do, but like the meat stuff is really come a long way.
Speaker 2: I'll give up meat and just seat the vegan meat stuff. Wow.
Speaker 4: Easy, he's boy over here easy.
Speaker 1: I want to say I would give up alcohol, but I do not want to go the rest of my life without. Like it's specifically wine. You could have said, because that's mainly the only thing I drink.
Speaker 4: I chose meaner so all about no, I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying I don't. I don't really drink beer or sometimes I have liquor, but it's mainly wine. I had the conversation with a mana the other day. I was like, she asked me, if I if I had to choose between coffee and wine, what I would pick. I still I still would go wine, but like I also would be very very very sad if I never drank coffee again, Like I don't. I don't get I don't get caffeine withdrawal headaches. Like I don't think i'm a I don't think I'm addicted to coffee. I'm sure like on some level I am, like I do need it to kind of kickstart a day, but like I just on days I don't have coffee. I'm just I'm really not myself. I'm just sad kind of.
Speaker 2: I love coffee. Mountain dude doesn't drink I don't want that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this these guys. Did I tell you? I took them all to breakfast, the giant bott guys. And there's five of you, you four of you, there's four of them, one of me. And they go, uh, we all order breakfast, and I say, I'll have a coffee, and they go and five diet cokes. And I said, guys, know I'm getting a coffee and not. He's like, I know. It's because he drinks two diet cokes with breakfast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I got to, Mike got to and then we know, I think we added a sixth because we're like, well, chuck and grub, you know they gotta get one wait wait, wait.
Speaker 4: Diet cokes and a coffee for our breakfast.
Speaker 1: On a regular basis, you guys drink two die cokes with breakfast.
Speaker 3: I definitely most days of my life had a couple of sodas.
Speaker 2: Uh when I wake up.
Speaker 3: I used to have a mini fridge next to my bed, just so like before I get out of bed, I can grab my first mountain dew. I mean, I didn't have my first coffee till I was like my thirties, you know, so like nowadays, I do have coffee more often than I have soda, but I got rules. If it's like after like ten am or if I'm kind of hungover, I want the soda first thing.
Speaker 1: You don't drink any coffee after ten am.
Speaker 3: I mean I do on occasion, but it's like, to me, coffee is a like early morning thing, like I'm getting up early and having a baglin coffee before a run or something like that, like seven am.
Speaker 1: You know, gotcha for my lunch break. During the day, I enjoy like grinding beans, getting into the measurement stuff. It's just like a fun ritual. But like I do the I don't know if it's actually true, but I have feel like I have maintained good sleep patterns with the seven hour rule, like just don't have caffeine seven hours or after before you go to bed, within seven hours of going to bed. So like most days after two pm or three pm, I really try not to have coffee.
Speaker 3: Man, when I was at Giant, it was like I think I was at like a dozen. So it does today with caffeine, yeah, like late.
Speaker 2: Into the night.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, because if I have a we're free at the New York office.
Speaker 2: That's your dad.
Speaker 4: That's your dad coming out of your fucking face, that is your buffet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mean to be presumptuous because but maybe one of you guys know this, But I generally, if I have like coffee at four pm, I definitely noticed I'm having trouble sleeping how that night. However, I've also there's been occasions where, like in certain cultures, like Italian food, like even like growing up with my family, we would some and like on holidays we'll have coffee after dinner. Yeah, and I know, on one level, the bitterness We've talked about this before, apparatives and DJ just thieves are the same exact there's no difference the bitterness we have. Like from what I understand, we've evolved. When we taste bitterness, it gets your digestive system moving because you think you're poisoned. Because like supposedly, when we're like our ancestors, when they taste a poison, that was a sign to our body that we were or we tasted bitterness, there was a sign that something might not be good for us. So apritif gets you your digestive system moving, so you're hungry for dinner. DJ stif after dinner is to do the same thing. But to aid digestion, get things moving. So maybe coffee does that. But I also don't understand how I sleep really well those nights after I have like an after dinner coffee with the caffeine.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 3: When I go back to Jersey and you know, with a Bonx family, you know, they're an Italian family in Jersey and a big thing with them is coffee, and which is like after dinner they have coffee and where it's like they'll get like a dessert and coffee and yeah, gotcha, or I don't know, it's coffee and dessert or they yeah, like and is that and stuff happens.
Speaker 2: I don't get it. I can't imagine winning a coffee after a meal.
Speaker 1: But I've done it before and like it doesn't keep me up, maybe because maybe because like maybe the food in my stomach is dampening caffeine. I have no idea. I'm actually genuinely curious. I could google it, but I'd rather hear what people have to say. Mary, do you know do you know what the question was? We're even listening her listeners.
Speaker 2: She shook her head vigorously. That's the Seinfeld thing, I asked her. She just kept on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have no Like the DJ's teeth and apper teeth is like beyond me.
Speaker 3: What are Yeah, Mike has ex Like when Mike said, we've talked about this before. I guess that's technically true, but Mary, it's wet. It's like when Flanders was explaining apple cider to Homer and his brain floated out of his head and he just collapsed.
Speaker 2: That's that's kind of what happens there.
Speaker 4: Happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Pre pre dinner drinks and after dinner drinks. They're usually bitter because they're in like Italian culture. They're better help you poop after dinner, but before dinner's to get you hungry, Apper a teef like appetizing, and then DJ just eve digested.
Speaker 4: I'm gone.
Speaker 2: They're the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's pretty simple. Fucking don't both.
Speaker 2: Why don't you go compare boats with Beckler?
Speaker 1: I fucking wish I had a boat.
Speaker 2: I'll lend you one. I would be so insufferable.
Speaker 1: If I had, I would get like the loudest, most lime green speed boat with like shark's teeth painted on the side.
Speaker 4: That's actually a fun questions like what would your boat look like?
Speaker 2: I just described it min sharkth too.
Speaker 3: I've always had that's the coolest thing. Oh no, didn't that be green? But I need the scary shark face. Like it's an old World War two plan.
Speaker 1: If you if you live in New York or Jersey, you know, I'm just describing the Beast. Have you guys seen this? Do you know what this is?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, Dan, I feel like you would actually ironically love it. So we go out to the pier sometimes and on the Hudson River there's a thing called the Beast. It is this huge lime green with sharks teeth and like black zigzag things. It's one of the It's like a boat that is designed to be fast as fuck but also seat like sixty people. And what they do is they like they do drifting in the Hudson to splash. Yeah, and every time we're at the pure, man is like, who who who pays to ride that thing? I was like, Dan would probably love that.
Speaker 2: Oh that thing is fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: Yet yeah, look up, look up like a video or a gift of it, because it drifts and it's it's designed to splash the ship out of the people on board.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm on board of this. I'm a boat guy.
Speaker 1: Now, but like every time, I'm like, I don't want to not go on that thing. I don't know that I want the Hudson River water all over me. But at least it's surface water.
Speaker 3: It's this fucking cool. Yeah, if we're ever in New York City again together, we got to do this.
Speaker 1: Do it like you could get get the giant bomb staff on that thing that'd be yes your podcast for Wait, like, see how many people at seats? I assumed it's like fifty. Maybe it's more.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's it looks like we.
Speaker 4: Do this for your wedding.
Speaker 2: This is so we should have rode that to the venue.
Speaker 3: You get to opt which boat you want to take, the classy ferry or for the beast.
Speaker 2: You get taken the beast.
Speaker 1: Our fucking officiate gets there and you just soaked.
Speaker 2: Like crashing.
Speaker 3: You guys are just waiting for me at the altar thing and what's up doors?
Speaker 2: Drunk ramp off?
Speaker 1: Just jump out and parachute down. How many up to one hundred and thirty eight guests you can.
Speaker 4: Be married on the best thirty minutes you have your nuptials.
Speaker 3: Okay, hang on, you got to see the guy that works there and runs the thing. Blow this up nice and big. Here look at this fucking guy with the flame shorts. Oh man, oh wowuck, we're living here. Guy Fer's like yeah, yeah, because, oh my god. Look at the woman three to the left in the front. She is miserable.
Speaker 4: Images that woman's husband drug her.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Wait when is this photo from? They all look like they're dressed like it's done that.
Speaker 2: It looks like two thousand and four to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is when the Beast was in its prime.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh difference red and yellow. They change the paint job.
Speaker 2: It's cooler now with the green.
Speaker 1: But every like every once in a while, we'll see it. You can hear it. It's like it's like riding the waves. It's that it's probably backlar driving in around. But yeah, we got an email. We got another email. People ask us what to do in New York City ride the Beast ride give me, give me ease, point one of these a jersey and say what up? But yeah, that's I forgot what the original question was. But thanks for the question, Steven. I got one more because we got we got some time. How's it going in Sorciernan? I pissed myself out and thought of that. Sometimes while out and about I smell the right combination of cigarette smoke and Aqua de joe, and suddenly it's two thousand and eight and I'm a drunk sixteen year old wandering around Germany. I wore that cologne on that trip. Do you have a memory tied to a very specific scent that your ol factory likes to dredge up every now and then? Peace out slots Our old.
Speaker 2: Friend wes this pog slammer this. I bought it on eBay. Yeah, that's the one. Talk about this because I feel like the.
Speaker 3: One that I thought it smelled like, I remember it smelling in bond because like it smells like it came from like a house filled with cigarette smoke.
Speaker 1: Oh no, okay, we specifically talked about how cigarettes make me nostalgic, but maybe we did talk. I usually remember what I've talked about it on a thing before. For sure, there's there's a there's a very specific smell in the plastic crates of a specific company that made them tote and Decker tote boxes. They're plastic crates that we used like there, I remember we had a ton from the nineties. They were like.
Speaker 2: Two feet high and they had the handles.
Speaker 1: That the lid went on. I don't know, it'll come to me, but we stored all our Christmas decorations in those, so over the year they would get a lot like this musty smell being in the basement, which sounds gross, but then we'd open it up and I would just be like, oh, Christmas didn't start until I smelled that. And then there was this one specific like painted porcelain bell that used to have a noise maker in it that would play like Christmas carols when you press the bottom of it, but the noise maker fell out, so throughout the year that bell would just trap the musty smells. So I'd be like, I'd put it on my face and be like, it's like I was huffing glue out of a brown paper bag.
Speaker 3: But Mike, you described this with the exact same passion you describe smelling asparagus p Yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is also good. That doesn't make me nostalgic. I just get a weird bone piece when I smell asparagus pee, which is weird because ironically you can't really.
Speaker 2: Pee with a bone Were you smelling that. Yeah, you've done being at that point.
Speaker 1: I showed you what I have to do in the morning. I like the weird crouch you have to do and you have to pee, but you just woke up. Go on, how do you how do you pee in the morning with morning wood?
Speaker 3: Well, you do the you put one hand against the wall and you make yourself kind of a forty five degree not forty that's.
Speaker 2: A little yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a tripod.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'm like, I do like the like a half back in football stance.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like a three point stance. Then you're like getting down.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'll show you at some point, Okay, I'll send you a diagram. Yeah. I also, i'd like many people, I think growing up in the suburbs, fresh cut grass definitely brings me back, as does hose water specifically that like corroded metal water smell that like when people are using their sprinklers in the lawn, you'd get that would just drift out of There's a couple lawns in my neighborhood, not many, but like there's a couple of houses with actual grass lawns, and when they're using the sprinkler I like, I have to stop and get after it with my nose for a few minutes. Yeah, married, do you have any or is it just? Is it just malibu?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: What's the smell of malibu?
Speaker 2: Malibou rem Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh right, I was gonna say my I have an ex boyfriend in middle school who used to always smell like Hollister cologne, And now when I smell, which is very rare, it makes me fucking mad. It makes me mad because he dumped me and I don't like him, and I'm still mad about it. I'm still angry at.
Speaker 2: Him spraying the studio before Game of the Year.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna you know what you did, Brad, and you his name was Brad, We'll dos him, but his honest to God, his name was Brad. And he lived in another town, which means my mom had to drive me a long way to go see him, and he dumped me two weeks before prom. You can go to hell, Brad.
Speaker 1: Wait, you actually did date someone who quote unquote goes to another school.
Speaker 4: Yes, and and I was I was a freshman and he was a junior, and he dumped me before prom and then he couldn't get another date and so on, Like the day before prom he reinvited me and we went wow awkward, and then the next day he dumped me for real.
Speaker 2: Jesus, fuck you.
Speaker 1: Rad is psychological minefield.
Speaker 4: I'm I'll be bitter about it forever.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I can't wait. I probably have some house or clones stashed away somewhere. AKA. At all times, he had a.
Speaker 4: Car that was lowered, and my driveway had an incline, and every time he tried to drive it onto my driveway, you could hear the car like screw against the ground. Fuck you, Brad, your stupid car.
Speaker 1: Any other smells like anything that doesn't set you off? What calms you when you smell it? From back in the day, from.
Speaker 4: Back in the day.
Speaker 1: Christmas?
Speaker 4: He smells make me happy, you know, you know Christmas smells.
Speaker 1: I don't like the smell of bug spray, but it does bring me back to when I campll out when I was young. Sure, sunscreen lotion too, but I use sunscreen lotions still often enough where it's not like a thing I associate with childhood.
Speaker 4: Campfires associate me with childhood, like the smoke of a fresh fire and a freshly lit mollow.
Speaker 1: M mmm, first you toast the mallow.
Speaker 4: First, you see. I feel like Paul Record will be like, it's not called a mallow, but yeah, it's it's a mallow.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you Wes and fuck you Brad.
Speaker 4: You know what you did. You know what you did?
Speaker 1: All right, that's our show. I wonder we get some more questions in fire Escape. Yeah, don't just stop.
Speaker 4: Where you bring up my trauma.
Speaker 2: Living in your head still to this day.
Speaker 4: God, it was so long ago.
Speaker 1: Fire Escape Cast at gmail dot com. Get more questions in. Get those next. The coffers full for the next few episodes. We will be back in a couple of weeks. But in the meantime you can go to firescapecast dot com and if you're not a patron, you can get ad free episodes, or you can get our video versions, which also knocks all our bonus episodes. We did one recently with Mecha Chameleon, all four of us, including Jake, our producer, which was ended up being super fun. We try to do those when we can find time. You can go to Firescape merch dot com get those banana hammocks. I know summer's summers got another about like a month, like a month and a half in a some places in the northern Hemisphere. So get those banana hammocks, get that than slang and get to the pool and show off our merch. And then outside of that, Dan, what do you have going on?
Speaker 2: Giant Bomb doing tons of stuff. Check out our YouTube.
Speaker 3: We've got the usual weekly stuff as well as some fun travel stuff. We'll see when I get done with the travelog. Got a ton of footage to wade through here, but hopefully sooner rather than later. Yeah, check out giant bomb dot com, giant Bomb Premium if you want to add free. But yeah, doing a lot of great stuff over there.
Speaker 1: Right, what about you check.
Speaker 4: Out giant bomb dot com because I'm on the rate latest travel log through Portland, which is pretty fun. And I also stream on my Twitch channel every Monday, and I do try and stream the games that I'll talk about on here, so you guys got to get to check them out with me, which is fun.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll be back in two weeks till then. Enjoy your summers or if you're down under somewhere and hopefully it's not too cold, and uh, we'll see you then.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.