Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 3: Or sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time. No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 2: But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by long eighteen plus terms and conditions APPLA. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 2: Actually do I have to say? Yes? You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes, excuse me?
Speaker 2: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: I never win?
Speaker 2: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 2: Play for free right now?
Speaker 3: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: Not necessary boid.
Speaker 3: We we're gon be my low eighteen plus terms and conditions plus lo host Rabian.
Speaker 2: You are now listening to True Murder, The Most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 4: Good evening, This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that are written about them. On August seventeenth, nineteen ninety two, eleven year old Holly Staker was baby's sitting a five year old boy and his two and a half year old sister. After eating pizza, went out to play at eight pm. When the neighbor noticed he was still outside, The boy said he was walcked out. The neighbor took the boy to his mother at her job at a nearby tavern. The mother, John Engelbret, contacted Holly's mother and the two of them went to the apartment, where they found the two and a half year old girl unharmed, but Holly was dead. In the bedroom, she had been stabbed twenty seven times and brutally raped. In the days after the crime, Juan Rivera was jailed on an unrelated burglary charge. Another inmate told authorities that Rivera told them he knew who had killed Holly. Police focused on Rivera, then just a few days short of his twentieth birthday. Ultimately, Rivera signed two confessions to the crimes. He later testified at a pre trial hearings that he was coerced into confessing and had nothing to do with the rape and murder. Engelbrett, whose children Holly was babysitting, had initially told police, told police after Rivera was arrested that he had approached her outside her apartment on the night of the crime and asked what's happening. She later recanted that identification, however, and said she believed Rivera was not Holly's killer. In nineteen ninety three, Rivera was sentenced to life in prison. That sentence and the conviction were set aside in nineteen ninety six by Illinois appellate court, which ruled the judge in the case had made errors. In two thousand and five, new DNA testing excluded Ron Rivera as a killer rapist, prompting a third trial, with Juan his family, defense attorneys and supporters believing in his innocence, confident that one would finally be released. On May eighth, two thousand and nine, Juan was convicted of Holly Staker's rape and murdered yet again, even though DNA excluded him. Prosecutor site Juan's confession as proof of his guilt. Free Juan Rivera joining me is my special guest journalist and executive director of the Center on Wrongful Convictions, the north Western Center on Wrongful Convictions. Welcome to the program, Rob Warden.
Speaker 5: Happy to be with you.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for joining me on this program. Now, you're the as I mentioned in the intro. You're the executive director director of Northwestern Center on Wrongful Convictions in Chicago, Illinois. You are also award winning legal affairs journalists who have been the editor and publisher of Chicago Lawyer magazine during the eighties, and you've exposed more than a score of wrongoful convictions in Illinois, including the cases of six innocent men that were sentenced to death. In the seventies, you worked as an investigative reporter and foreign correspondent editor at Chicago Daily News. And you worked as a political issues consultant executive officer at the Cook County State's Attorney's Office. So you have a lot of experience journalistically, you have some experience politically, and so you don't come this like I had mentioned and when I spoke to from any kind of naivety whatsoever. How did you get involved with this organization? When did you become involved with this organization? Rob?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, in nineteen ninety eight, we had a conference at Northwestern University called the National Conference on Longual Conviction than the Death Penalty. This was, you know, an amazing event, and I think that we basically persuaded much of the media at that point that this was really a serious problem that we were convicting people of crimes they didn't commit. So we had thirty people here who had been convicted and sentenced to death for crimes that they didn't commit. And although thirty might seem like a fairly small number in the scheme of things, once the media got to in view these people and see that these were genuine wrongful convictions, it sort of changed the dynamic. And then that is the you know, we grew out of that, okay.
Speaker 4: And now your journalistic investigative journalism in your background in that you obviously saw the good, the bad, and the ugly, but you saw particularly cases that where you saw you thought there were wrongful convictions, and that's what helped you make your decision to become involved, much more involved. We'll say, now this one Rivera case. When did this come to the attention of your organization? When and why?
Speaker 5: Well, we got involved in this case only in two thousand and six. This was, you know, long after Juan Rivera had been convicted. The first time we thought, you know, that this was a compelling case of actual innocence. We had done a great deal of work on the issue of false confessions, and it appeared that the false confession on which this conviction was a base was you know, just really you know, incredible. Now, you know, of all of the issues that lead to erroneous convictions, the one that is most difficult for most of us to comprehend is the false confession.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, we can't imagine that we never confess to a crime we didn't commit, and therefore we can't imagine that anyone else would either. But the psychological techniques that are taught in police academies and that lead to false confessions are really, if not ubiquitous, at least certainly quite common. And this case, this confession appeared to have all of the hallmarks of a false confession. So we got involved in the case. And because the victim was an eleven year old girl, she'd been raped and murdered, and there was DNA evidence in the case, we got the DNA evidence tested and Juan Rivera was eliminated as the source of the DNA evidence in this case. Furthermore, you know, one had been on electronic home monitoring at the time the crime occurred, he had been involved in a murder, in a burglary, he had broken into a car to steal a stereo, and consequently, you know, he couldn't possibly have committed the crime. Those are the are the issues that that basically got us involved. Now, once we got to DNA and then you know, Juan got a new trial. We were shocked that the state's attorney in Lake County, Illinois decided that he was going to retry the case and we went to trial with it. And because of a number of pre trial rulings that were adverse to our position and we think absolutely unreasonable and illegal. Uh, they were able to persuade a jury for the third time time that Juan Rivera had committed this crime. The this is not just a matter of prosecutorial overreaching. It's a matter of absolute, incredible, you know, judicial error. One could not possibly have committed this crime because of the electronic home monitoring device. He was two miles away at the time the crime occurred. And yet the judge allowed the prosecution to tell the jury that sometimes the electronic home monitoring equipment had malfunctioned. Now, there was absolutely no issue in this case. There was no indication in this case that the electronic home monitoring equipment that one had had malfunction. In fact, it you know, there are tests that occur routinely, and a few hours before the crime and a few hours after the crime, his equipment was functioning properly. And yet the judge allowed the prosecution to suggest that. And then when we could show that the DNA didn't match, that he could not possibly have been responsible for this, the judge allowed the prosecution to, you know, suggest two things were just absolutely preposterous. First, that the DNA sample could have been contaminated. Now that it was absolutely impossible, because the DNA in this case came from sperm heads, and you can't change the DNA of a sperm head no matter what. It's impossible. The only way you could do it would be to have inserted a sperm from someone else into the sample that was tested. That's ridiculous. The other explanations prosecute that the judge allowed the prosecution to advance was that this eleven year old victim might have been sexually active, and therefore the DNA that was recovered from from inside her body might have occurred from a consensual sexual encounter that was unrelated to the crime itself. That was another preposterous suggestion, and yet the judge allowed them to do it. And what we have in Lake County, Illinois, and this is a county just north of Cook it's between you know, Chicago and the and the Wisconsin line is just, you know, really a conspiracy on behalf of you know, what's called the you know, the Lake County Major Crimes task Force. The state's attorney there, a man named Mike Waller, and and of course in the court, I mean it's all three of them. It is a criminal conspiracy. And I don't make those kinds of allegations lightly, but it's just it's simply outrageous and there ought to be a federal investigation on all levels in Lake County, Illinois. It's simply unconscionable what's been going on there.
Speaker 4: Well, those are like you mentioned that, those are heavy claims when you're saying conspiracy, so you have to have some evidence. So we're we're going to go through a little bit of that. I have some questions for you, sure, just one. I think a lot of people watch TV we see DNA, but we uh, this is what I'm interested in. Just to start, when you talked about how the judge allowed the prosecution to introduce the theory, because I've certainly there was there no evidence that there was any consensual sexual relationship that the eleven year old had, right, there was no evidence of that, but there was it was made the theory that she could have had consensual relationship and there could have been another DNA semen sample there. Why on TV you would see that there would be a clear separation when they did the testing between the two DNA samples. Why was there how was this theory supposed to work. His DNA was still not Juan Rivera's DNA was not found that in her body. I don't understand how that DNA could have been interfered with from another possible semen donor what can you explain it to us?
Speaker 5: I mean, it simply could not have. And that's one of the things that's so you know, outrageous about what the judge allowed the prosecution to get away with suggesting to the jury in this case. And you know, one of the and of course, you know what the real problem was here, that was the confession itself. And I think that most jurors, you know, like most of us, can't imagine why somebody would confess to a crime, you know, he or she did not commit. And in this case, the confession followed, you know, twenty seven hours of interrogation. I mean, that was the marathon session. But Juan had been in custody for several days. He had been questioned repeatedly, he had been lied to, he had been told that he had failed a polygraph test. And it's point, I mean, you know, he just basically gave up. Now you know, he signed ultimately two confessions. The first confession made no sense at all. There was no there were no facts in the confession that related to the crime. And when the prosecution, when the prosecutor, this is Mike Waller, the state's attorney of Lake County, Illinois, saw this first confession. He told the police, this is no good.
Speaker 3: Lucky Land casino, asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 2: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say? Yes? You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kid's pta meeting?
Speaker 2: Really, yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: I never win in tell Well.
Speaker 2: There you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landsloughts dot com play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 2: No, We're just necessary.
Speaker 3: Remember gonna be my law eighteen plus urns conditions plus fifty.
Speaker 5: Yes, you got to go back and get something more that that that has some facts of the crime in it. Well, indeed they went back and they got a confession that had all of the facts of the crime in it. But these were facts that were known only that were known not only to the killer, but were known to the police as well. And then one of the amazing one of the awful things about this in the final trial is that the police who took this confession got on the stand and said that wan Vera revealed facts that they did not know until he revealed them. It was an absolute lie. There is absolutely no question that there was no fact in this confession that was not known to the police. And when I say, you know that, and I'm telling you, the judge in this case was just absolutely corrupt. He allowed, he refused to allow the defense, uh to introduce evidence that the police had all of this evidence. He let them get away with that lie. He covered it up. And it is an absolute disgrace to the to the to the system of criminal justice that we have in the United States. Uh, it's it's just amazing. I can't tell you how bad it is. Lake County, Illinois is an absolute cesspool. Now judicial corruption.
Speaker 4: Sorry for interruption. Now, I want to say, you know, when you talk about corrupt corruption, you talk about conspiracy, You're going to have to explain a little bit more for our for our audience here. What would be because basically, you can't get to the motivation behind why these people this, but you can speculate. I mean, certainly you talk about the police why in this particular case, because we're talking about now motivation changes from the first trial to the second trial, the third trial. What was the motivation in the very first place? Was what was the political climate at the time when Juan Rivera was arrested. But more importantly, we haven't fully explained whatsoever the conditions on which Juan Rivera did confess, how he came to the police's attention. He didn't get arrested by virtue of an investigation by the police, right, it became more of other circumstances. So please explain those circumstances, the jail house informat that came forward. Was there any reward for his involvement, Was there any incentive that he potentially could have had, any reason why he would have said this if it were not true? Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you know, I think that those are extremely important questions. You know, first of all, at the very beginning, this a horrendous crime, the rape and murder of an eleven year old girl in the city of Waukegan, and every time you have a crime of that magnitude, there is tremendous pressure on police and prosecutors to solve the crime. Juan Rivera was not initially a suspect. He was not a suspect until a person with whom you know I said earlier, that he had committed a burglary of an automobile. He was ultimately put into prison for that crime. And he's in prison for this burglary of an automobile when someone, when a man who was in prison with him, comes forward and tells the prosecution and the police that Juan Rivera knew something about the murder of this victim. Her name Holly Staker. She was you know, as I said earlier, eleven years old. Well, Juan Rivera didn't really know anything at all about this murder, but he had apparently, you know, talked about the crime in prison. And so because of this tip from somebody who was in prison, the police came to went down to prison and interrogated him, and of course he denied any knowledge, and they brought him back out of the state prison to talk to him again and again and again, and that's where this incredible interrogation took place. In which he wound up admitting that he had committed the crime. You know, now, as I said earlier, the idea of a false confashion is pretty hard for most people to understand. But you know, we have seen it with such frequency in the American criminal justice system that we know that confessions are are really unreliable. Particularly you know, a confession like this Juan Rivera had been observed and this is according to a nurse in the in the jail at the time this occurred, that after he confessed, he was beating his head against the wall of the cell in which he had been held. He you know, didn't know, you know, what he was doing. I mean, this is just, you know, an amazing series of facts. And then we have, of course, you know, the overwhelming evidence that he didn't do the crime, the DNA that excludes him as the source of seamen recovered from the child's body, and the fact that he was on electronic home monitoring two miles away when the crime occurred. And yet based on this confession, a jury was willing to convict him. It's just, you know, totally ludicrous set of facts that led to what we believe, unquestionably is of a wrongful conviction.
Speaker 4: Now you talk about the confession itself, and you talk about an institution or an establishment called John Reid, and so they take him to a certain center, and there is a little bit of historical background to that center itself and the techniques there. But the thing is, I want to know you do make the accusation about the police conspiring and that their statements were false and making fall statements at trial later on the stand. So let's you talk about false confessions, and we have to take your word for it that false confessions occur, and that they're very common and can occur. But for those that are still skeptical, Y know, what I'm saying. Sure, what I'm saying is that what I'm saying is that this particular case provides us with a really good example of how false confessions. So why don't you tell us how you believe that false confession came. Now you talked about him not knowing any of the facts of the case, but the police claim that he knew certain things that only the killer would know. Now you talk about there was a first confession, there was a second fession. Please explain this whole thing, because there was no what they did have recording equipment at that time or did have the capability to record the confession, yet they didn't. How did they answer to those claims as well that if they wanted to add some credibility, they could have recorded it.
Speaker 5: Well. Now, in fact, since the two thousand and three in Illinois, you know, it's the legislature passed the law requiring that custodial interrogations be recorded start to finish, so that law was not in effect in nineteen ninety two when this crime occurred, and consequently there was no recording of the confession. And the issues here were really I mean, you know, pretty straightforward. The police claimed that Juan Rivera revealed facts of the crime that only the killer would know. And yet you know, we had newspaper reports. These are reports published in the newspaper that contained almost all of the facts that were in his confession. Was one exception, and one exception was that there had been a mop handle, a purple mop handle, that had been used to break into the back door of the apartment. Now, the police claimed that they didn't know about that mop handle until Wan Rivera revealed it in his confession, But in fact, uh, you know, Jan had been taken, had been brought to the City of Chicago. Uh, he had been he had he had been subjected to a polograph examination, and the polygraph examiner had written a report on saying that the police had told him, revealing that the police had told him about this mop handle, this purple mop handle. So the police, you know, when the officers, when they got on the stand, and the principal officer who perjured himself and I don't use that word lightly, his name was Lou Tessaman, got on the stand and claimed that he didn't know about that until Juan Rivera revealed it. Well, you know, I can't prove what Lou Testament knew or didn't know, but I do know that there's no question that the police in Lake County had told the polygraph examinor prior to that time about this mob pandle. So I can only conclude that Lou Testament got on the stand in this case and lied. It was a bold face lie, and I think it was very persuasive to the jury. Now, you know, it might not have been nearly as persuasive if the judge had been a fair person and had allowed the defense to challenge this point out that indeed the police knew about this, but the judge didn't. The judge refuse to allow that evidence into the trial. And that's what I meant when I say it is a criminal conspiracy that exists in Lake County, Illinois, and it involves the state's attorney, it involves the Major Crimes Task Force, and it involves the Circuit Court. It is an absolute outrageous situation that really should be investigated by the federal government or an outside authority, but it's apparently not going to happen.
Speaker 4: Well, why do you, I mean, can we can we say that it's an unwinning conspiracy on some people's parts and here or is it is there? What can you attribute this to? Well, incredible ego?
Speaker 5: There is a phenomena, you know, I think of, you know that we call tunnel vision. That is that, you know, the police develop a theory that this person committed the crime and therefore and then they just for psychological reasons, uh, somehow are incapable of acknowledging evidence that disputes that theory. That's called tunnel vision. And I think that that affects, uh, you know, police prosecutors and to some extent judges. Uh so it's not always uh you know, they didn't they didn't just set out to convict an innocent person. They the machine was not designed to railroad an innocent person in the prison. That was the effect. But they believed that they had the right guy. And then when the evidence that that that came forward that I think is this positive that they convicted the wrong guy. You know, as this became apparent, they simply didn't consider it. And so they just sort of, you know, stuck by this original theory because they would have had to have admitted that they were wrong. And of course, you know, and you know I when I say there's a conspiracy, this is a pattern in Lake County, Illinois. There are other cases that are are almost as egregious as as one Rivera's case that have occurred in this one small county. And I can tell you about those if you were interested.
Speaker 4: Well, let's get back to because this is we want to be able to go through this particularly, I mean, the first trial is bad enough the second trial that the first trial prompted the second trial because they said it with samaras made by the judges, it looked at it again convicted them again. You became involved because you saw this as a clear example of false confession based on your experience. On your experience, and then we have the third trial. So let's talk about the third trial, because this is the trial that's really a travesty of justice. If you've got DNA evidence, you've got the law team that you're working with at Northwestern here, all of these experience and passionate and totally convinced people that this person's innocent. Otherwise you wouldn't be involved whatsoever. And tell us about now, what I'm particularly interested in is the pre trial rulings. We have something called a VOIDIR here, which is equivalent of pre trial rulings where a lot of this stuff that you said that the prosecution was allowed to enter into evidence. Tell us about the pre trial rulings that that you think were already set to sabotage this trial. What was done in the pre trial, specifically the issues that you thought were very detrimental to the trial once it did get underway, you know.
Speaker 5: In the first place, of course, you know, we have what's called there in the US courts as well. That's something that's peculiar to Canada. And the judge had to rule that the that the confession was admissible. Uh and uh in in the United States, Uh, that the only test is whether or not the confess.
Speaker 3: Judy was boring. Hello, then Judy discovered Jump of Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby mam is bringing home the bacon. WHOA, Take it easy, Judy. The Jump of life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump jump a casino dot Com.
Speaker 4: No necessary.
Speaker 3: We we're promitted my mind plus terms and condition to place. What's every details?
Speaker 5: Sufession was voluntary. It has nothing to do with whether the confession is reliable. The judge held that despite these rather egregious circumstances under which Juan Rivera was it was interrogated, that the confession was voluntary and therefore it was allowed into evidence. So the jury was allowed to hear you know, this confession that was of you know, ruling number one pre trial that the judge agreed that this confession that we think so obviously was unreliable, was admitted into evidence. Now, in addition to that, the you know, the judge allowed you know, the state or the police to testify in this case that that confession contained facts that would be known only to the killer. It was just so absurd given the fact that as we could show that most of these facts had been reported in newspapers, you know, the judge dismissed the newspaper accounts. It's just hearsay that you can't allow newspaper accounts, you know, into one in the evidence. I mean, this is really, you know, almost ludicrous for ruling, for a judge to rule like that. And then you know, as I mentioned earlier, there's this this single fact about the mop handle that was used to break in and the police claimed that they hadn't known about that until one Rivera revealed it in the confession. That was a patently false assertion, which we can approve, which we can prove by the polygraphic examiner. Now the judge refused to allow that evidence u to be presented to the jury. I think that this was you know, just a totally disingenuous. A judge who would make a ruling like that under these circumstances has no business whatever, you know, being on the bench, and this judge simply ought to be you know, drummed out of service immediately. But you know, the whole court in Lake County, Illinois, as far as we're concerned, is it is just a corrupt There are a number of other judges who have made equally absurd evidentiary rulings prior to trial in cases that have led to convictions that that certainly have no veracity. It is a tragedy and a scandal, and yet you know, there's really no one to investigate it.
Speaker 4: Now, when did the issue of the ankle bracelet technology possible malfunction? Explain how that evidence was introduced? Because it didn't point to actual malfunction of his ankle bracelet an evidence of that, So how did they get around that and when did that come up? And how did they get that in and as evidence?
Speaker 5: Well, the reason that the first conviction of Juan Rivera was reversed was because the judge allowed evidence that you know, allowed the jury to hear evidence that sometimes electronic home monitoring had failed. There was no evidence, of course that had failed in this particular case. Now, by the time we got around to the third trial, and this was the first time in which we had the DNA evidence that showed that Juan Rivera could not have been the source of seamen recovered from the child's body. Now they even though the appellate court had previously said that this evidence was inadmissible, when documents were admitted into evidence, the judge allowed testimony to the effect that it was that there had been failures in the system. Now it's important to know here that the way electronic home monitoring works, it works, you know, by a telephone, and if you stray more than one hundred and fifty feet from the source from the telephone to which this is to which the device is connected, it will notify the police that you've gone beyond that. Now, furthermore, the system calls in and every three or four hours to confirm that it's working. And the system was working very shortly before the murder of Holly Staker and very shortly after the murder of Holly Staker. So the only way that Juan Rivera could have possibly committed this crime was to somehow have slipped out of the bracelet, run a couple of miles, committed the murder, run back and put the bracelet back on. It's almost ludicrous. But the way the evidence was allowed to be presented to the jury, it appeared that that was a plausible explanation. And you know the prosecutor in this case, you know his name is Michael Murmel. He is the head of the Felony Trial Division of the Lake County, Illinois State's Attorney's Office. I mean, he clearly, I mean he must have known better and what he and yet what he did and what he told the jury was so incredibly misleading that it's just amazing. And the fact that the judge allowed this evidence to go to the jury explains to my mind how we could have a confession that and have a conviction that was based on the confession that quite obviously was false.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 5: That there was evidence that that Juan Rivera could not have committed this crime that the judge refused to allow the defense to present.
Speaker 4: Now we get to an issue that's it's still on a little in the dark about down Engelbrecht. And she's the woman who brought this case to my attention. I was totally oblivious to this case whatsoever, So through her her efforts, this case is we're talking about this right now, this evening, so we got to thank her for that. Now, she made an identification of Juan Rivera and said that she had seen him the night of the shortly after the crime, and he said, what's happening. And then at some point she recanted her testimony. And when I first spoke to her, she said that she got a rough ride from the criminal the judicial system because she did recant her identification. But she firmly believed before this third trial that he was innocent of the crime itself. So to explain that this must have been a complication as well when you have a witness say that she did see him, he did speak to her and tell us what he was supposed to have said to her, and that explanation for us about.
Speaker 5: Don Yeah, well Don Don Engelbrecht had told the police initially when she saw a photograph of Juan Rivera that she thought she had seen him on the street around the time of the crime. Uh, now that is uh, well, you know, first of all, I mean it's highly dubious because you know, to show someone a photograph and and have them, you know, make an identification and claim that this is somebody they saw. I mean, you know, that's you know, that's one thing. So witnesses, uh, you know, as we know, you know, make mistakes about identification, but there may be there's probably more to it in this case, that she was coerced basically into claiming that she had seen one room Vera on the street at the time of the crime, when he couldn't have been on the street because in fact, you know, he was on electronic home monitoring two miles away from the crime. Now, don Engelbrecht, I think ultimately realized that she'd been coerced, you know, by the police into making a false statement, and that's of course why she came to you and called this to your attention, that that the police misconduct in this case was you know, simply egregious. Not only did they coerce a false confession from Juan Rivera, but they also you know, coerced a false identification from don Ingelbrecht. Now, of course there were no eyewitnesses, you know, to the to the crime itself. She simply claimed to have seen Juan Rivera on the street and spoken spoken to him in the neighborhood around the time the crime occurred. And it's quite clear that that you know, you know, she was wrong or was coerced by police and just saying that.
Speaker 4: So, what point did she realize that that there may have been some coercion or she was at the very least that she was wrong in her identification.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you know, I don't know exactly at what point she realized that, except that she did. I mean, certainly by the time we got involved, you know, in the case in two thousand and six, you know, she was certainly willing to come forward and say, you know, what we believed to be the truth that she did not in fact see wandromera on the street.
Speaker 4: And and her and her claims of how the police got her to do the identification, and her claims of how they they operated in what you call the coercion. It really did support your idea that that one not only that one was innocent, but there was a concerted effort to cover up certain information.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and you know, you know, as you know, as I said before, I mean, I believe, and I don't use these terms lightly. I mean I am not a you know, a conspiracy theorist, but there is a conspiracy in Lake County, Illinois. It involves the Lake County Major Crimes Task Force, the State's Attorney of Lake County, and the judges of the Circuit Court. It is an absolute scandal and it is a conspiracy. I can't and you know I stand by that, and you know I wouldn't be I wouldn't be making I don't make these allegations lightly. You know, we can prove it, and I would welcome Uh If if what I'm saying here is false, let them sue us, Let them sue me. I will stand behind these allegations and prove them until until the cows come home, as we sometimes say in the United States.
Speaker 4: Now, with these this false confession, what I thought was interesting is and it doesn't make much sense to for most guilty people to cooperate as fully as one Rivera did initially when police approached him. And we also haven't talked about it must be important. I mean it was. It was, it was brought up, and you were you tried to bring it up as more of an issue as well as as and also attribute some of the reasons why there was a false confession, why it's very valid that there could be a false confession. He has an IQ of about seventy nine for most people. That's kind of if they know it's borderline retarded, what's classified. I think they're very close to it. Now what and you just talked about a little bit about the psychotic episode he had right after the questioning, but the twenty six hours talk about this, You didn't mention the John Reid Society or of John Reid a building that he went to for questioning. Tell us a little bit more about how you think a false confession can happen, the whole process, the twenty six hours, the he just wants to cooperate. Tell us how a false confession in this particular case really came about. Give us all the details.
Speaker 5: Well, you know that's obviously because there was no recording. You know, we can't really know, you know, all the details of what happened in this particular case. But we do know that Juan Rivera was brought from Wakegan, Illinois Library. He was being out to Chicago where he was given a polographic examination by John Reid associates. Their protocol is that they record these, but somehow they can't find or don't have or did not record this polyographic examination, So we really don't know what happened. What we do know is that, you know, in the United States, I'm not sure how it works in Canada, the police can lie to you. And they told Juan Rivera that he failed the polygraph. Whether he did or did not is, you know, pretty much beside the point. Because polygraphs are junk science, they don't work. They there's absolutely they shouldn't be allowed. But the police are allowed to use them as investigative tools. Uh, these are not they're not the results are not admissible in the court, but they can tell you og you failed the polygraph and therefore you must be guilty. Now that is we're speculating here because, as I said, you know, the interrogation was not recorded, so we don't know exactly what was said. What we do know is that polygraphs are absolutely unreliable and that the police are allowed in the United States to lie to you. And they told Juan Rivera that he had failed the polygraph. Now, if the polygraph examiner told the police that, and that may just have intensified their you know, their interrogation and may have convinced them all the more that they were right and that Juan Rivera had committed this crime. But this is entirely special because we don't know because they didn't the John Reid associates didn't record it, or or or somehow they have deep sixed the recording if they did record it.
Speaker 4: And where was it?
Speaker 2: Where's his lawyer?
Speaker 4: Excuse me? Where was this lawyer?
Speaker 5: You know, you have a right to a lawyer, obviously, and they read you your Miranda rights, and Juan Rivera waived his Miranda rights, as people do in about ninety five percent of the cases that we've known where we've proven false confessions. You know, the police basically say hey, you know, they basically you want to cooperate because a horrible crime has been committed. You want to cooperate with the police, and you didn't do it, and therefore you're you're very willing to, you know, waive your Miranda rights.
Speaker 4: Well, is that what typically guilty people do? Though, that they do wave their rights and cooperate as much as one Rivera did.
Speaker 5: No, I think I think that that's not right. I think typically guilty people, you know, people who have experience with criminal justice system are unlikely to waive their Miranda rights. And this is one of the insidious things about it. If you are innocent. You're obviously very inclined to wave your Miranda rights. You think, oh, gee, I didn't do it. They'll never prove that I did. And therefore, you know, I don't need a lawyer. All I have to do is tell the truth. And you know, the questioning begins with, you know, a period of rapport building. They may ask you about, you know, sports scores. You know, hey, what do you think of those Chicago cubs this year? Aren't they great? And so this is going on for a while until at some point it becomes accusatory. And at the point it becomes accusatory is where they start, you know, really laying it on you. And you may resist and resist and resist for hour upon hour, as Juan Rivera did, and then ultimately at some point you just came in and say, okay, I did it. And that's what we believe happened in this case, that he was simply, after twenty six hours of interrogation beating his head on his cell wall, obviously suffering from an extreme psychotic episode, that he falsely confessed. And yet that confession is the entire predicate of his wrongful conviction.
Speaker 4: Now, from that confession, though, there is some damning I don't know evidence, but damning statements about why, what was the motivation for him murdering and raping this girl? What was the what what what did he give as his motive?
Speaker 5: But that she made that she made kind of insulting statements about his manhood that you know, he couldn't get an erection, uh or something of that sort. You know, these are uh and uh in in anger. Then he you know, stabbed her multiple times. It's uh, you know, it's really pretty uh, you know, pretty ludicrous stuff. But but that was the police theory. Uh, you know, that was their story and and and their suppose to it.
Speaker 4: What was his history, what was his background regarding violence.
Speaker 5: Or Wandrivera had no history of violence? Uh, his uh, you know, his only involvement with the criminal justice system was the minor you know, as I said, he was on electronic home monitoring at the time of the crime. He had broken into a car and stolen a stereo and that was, you know, basically the only criminal history that he had. He had no history of violence. He had never committed you know, a section had never been accused of a sexual assault or any other violent crime prior to this. And he became a suspect only because someone who was incarcerated with him came forward and said that he knew something about this crime. Now, you know, he may indeed have of statement, made statements indicating that he knew something about the crime. I mean, that's that's entirely possible. And and and when he talked to when he discussed the crime with police, he in fact made some false statements about knowledge of the crime. But you know, this is not a particularly unusual thing. You know, once the questioning becomes you know, accusatory. I mean, he's already boasted in and while he was incarcerated that he knew something about the crime, the police came to him and he pretended to know something about it when in fact, you know, he didn't. So in some sense, you know, I think it would be fair to say that he talked himself into this situation. But you've got to remember, you know, you're talking about a man who had tested seventy eight on an IQ test and who had no council present. It's, you know, a really pretty incredible situation.
Speaker 4: Right now, we've only got so many minutes left, We've got look, we've got a few minutes left. But I want to I want to know what you really think the chances are now of somebody reviewing I guess tell us the next process or the next court that might that may or may not hear a review of what has gone on. Do you think you have a more compelling case now that.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, we have a you know, we have an automatic appeal to the Illinois Pellet Court. It must be heard by the appellate court. It's not discretionary. They can't turn it down. They have to hear it. The UH, and that will be that will be heard within you know, in the months ahead the UH. Then after that, you know, if we were to lose, and I'm certainly hoping that we will not lose, then we would go to the Alline Supreme Court and then ultimately into the federal system with a for a rid of habeas corpus. And I am confident that at some level justice will be done here and we will and Juan Rivera will be exonerated of the crime that he did not commit and you know, brought home to his family. It's a really tragic case.
Speaker 4: Now, how long is it? When was he incarcerated nineteen ninety two, nineteen ninety two, and here we are in two thousand. Yeah, and so you say sometime possibly in the future, and then you really are confident that because this DNA is so strong, and because you think the errors are so blatant, the free trial errors and the airrors at trial, did you think you really have something where do you think in not to say that there's any you know, there's any bucket at the end of the rainbow here, but do you think maybe there's a reason for this case going for the possibly looking at a more federal review.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, we're confident that that ultimately we will prevail and you know, in this case, and that Juan Rivera will be uh released and and totally exonerated into this crime that he clearly did not commit. But uh, you know, it's you know, it's gonna be a battle. And the first step is the second District, you know, the the Illinois A. Pellett Court, uh, from which you know, the judges are under great political pressure and it may be hard, politically difficult for them to do the right thing. But we're hoping that there's somebody there that there will be uh, you know, three judges on the Illinois pelt Court, who will see what an egregious situation this is and reverse the case outright without a possibility of retrial.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: If not, we're going to go to the Illinois Supreme Court, the United States Supreme Court, and then back into the federal system, uh to uh fort a federal writ of habeas corpus, and at some point I am confident that we will prevail. The only question is how long will these uh, these I can only describe them as criminals, uh in Lake County be able to to pretend that this is an accurate conviction.
Speaker 4: Now, how how has the media been how how much is this a story that's really resonating nationally?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: Well that's the problem. I mean one of the things that I mean Lake County, I mean, uh, there is a local newspaper, the Waukegan News Son, it's in the hip pocket of the prosecution.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: There's another paper that covers a little bit of Lake County called the Daily Herald. Uh, it's also in the hip pocket of the prosecution. Uh. It's outside of Chicago, it's south of Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: So there's no major media looking at this, and the media have simply been you know, absolutely disgraceful the local the local media in these cases, and we'd like to we would hope at some point that we will attract some national media attention. Uh you know what's going on. There's a kind of reluctance to do this. I mean, people think that you know, you have have you know, awful courts in Texas or in Alabama, and that these things occur there. They don't think it will occur in one of the northernmost counties of Illinois. But in fact, you know, that's where this case arose, and it's something just out of the you know, out of the Deep South that is almost unimaginable to think that it could have occurred, uh uh in the northern county in the state of Illinois.
Speaker 4: Now, you you said that you thought this was a phenomena of you know, the tunnel vision, but particularly and you said this, you know, if this third trial is just a criminal conspiracy, but you the the reluctance for these people would because regardless of whether it's a conspiracy or not, if it is a conspiracy, these people then do realize that somebody is looking at them, somebody like you in your organize station. So you're saying, despite, despite the is there a real risk that if these people are looked at federally that there may be an investigation into their their actions? You know right now that this are still scrambling to cover that up potentially.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not so sure that that's likely that there's likely to be a federal investigation. But once Juan Rivera is released, there's likely to be a you know, a lawsuit and you know he could basically Wan Rivera should could wind up owning that county because the damages here are so egregious and I think on some level they you know, they understand that and they're going to fight that forever because you know, what's happened here. I mean, what the police did, this coerced confession lying in court is you know, it is simply so a read just that it's really rather uh, you know, it could be a you know, a very serious problem for Lake County, Illinois, and they will want to do what they can to to avoid those damages and to mitigate the situation.
Speaker 4: Right Well, I want to thank you Rob for a very informative program, and I want to tell people that they can go to Facebook and join the fight. It is called Free One Rivera r i v E r A. And your organization, the Northwestern Center for on the Wrongful Convictions to have a website that people can Yes, we do.
Speaker 5: Uh it's you know, Center on Wrongful Convictions dot org. If you anybody who wants to google, Center on Wrongful Convictions will find us. They'll find all all kinds of information about this case and other cases in which we have been.
Speaker 4: Involve Well, I want to thank you very much for your good work, Rob, and thank you for coming on the program explaining this fascinating and very important case of wrongful conviction and joining me for the Free One Rivera program. Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Job happy to be there. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much, Rob. Happy, good evening, Bye bye. If you listen to the program True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, with your host Dan Zupanski, join me next time. Good night,