Speaker 1: Special Operations Cobertsbiona the Team House with your hopes. Jack Murphy and David bark Hey. Welcome to Teamhouse, episode three fifty four. I'm Dave. This is Jack. Joined tonight by our guest Rob Harrison, former Air Force intel guy, with some very interesting stories about his own career and also about the Chapman incident on Robert S. Fridge as a first hand. It has some first hand accounts of that and then the aftermath also. So Rob, thank you very much for joining us tonight.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, I appreciate you all having me. My name is Rob Harrison. I spent about twenty six year's active duty in the Air Force and retired in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: So Rob, the first thing we always like to ask is our guest origin story. What what led you? How do you grow up? And what led you to the military?
Speaker 2: The path? Yeah, I would say there's some poetry references in here somewhere, But I didn't take a traditional path like many young young men out there. I might not have known exactly what I wanted to do. I graduated high school, I was always a good student, ended up on an academic scholarship to a local junior college where I was going to go ahead and knock out my general education requirements before going off to a bigger university. And had always had the military and mind specifically the Air Force, based on some family lineage folks that had also served, and I ended up deciding I came up with this awesome plan. I was like, all right, well, I'm going to party my first semester, and I know that I need to have a three point oh, So I'll squeak by the first semester and then I'll pull a four point zero on the second one after I get it all out of my system and everything will be good. But there was this fine print in my in my scholarship, and I needed to maintain a three point oh for each portion of the academic year. And so I got the regret to inform you, mister Harrison, but we're going to have to pull your academic scholarship. So I had to tuck my tail between my legs, go back home to Mom and dad, fess up to them what had happened. And my dad said, well, what are you going to do about it? So I decided not to put that burden on anybody else and said, well, I think I'm going to go talk to the Air Force recruiter. And he said, I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: And so you went to the recruiter and how did you choose the job that you ended up with.
Speaker 2: So that's another there's a story of irony with this one. I went in.
Speaker 1: I wanted to fly.
Speaker 2: I knew that if I was going to join the Air Force, I wanted to be on airplanes. That's what the Air Force does, right, we fly, fight and win. So I went into the recruiter. The recruiter said, yes, sorry, I don't have any of those jobs available for you. But uh, but I took all these aptitude tests and I qualify for all this stuff. And he says, well, you want to be a linguist and uh, and I said, I'm a redneck from Mississippi. I can barely speak English. What do you mean, uh, you know, study foreign language? He said, well, you you know you qualify for this test. You've you've done it, you passed it. You could go do that. And I was like, I don't think so, so I went in open electronics and uh, in week five back then in Air Force basic training, they gave you your job assignments, and I grew up, you know, having family connections to the Air Force that had served in earlier generations. I knew enough about that, and thanks to the Discovery Channel's Wings you know episodes way back when, I knew enough about the Air Force to know that to be a missile maintenance guy in the bottom of a silo was not a garden spot, right, And so I raised my hand in the middle of week five of basic training and said, somebody said that I could be a linguist. And I passed for this test and so forth, and the guy stopped and he said, anybody else take that test, And somebody caught on to what was going on and they raised their hand. A side door opened up, an in service recruiter came and rescued this for a few hours out of basic training. We went down a side hallway into a private room, sign new contracts, got a coke and a smile, and became, you know, contracted to become an airborne photological linguist.
Speaker 1: Fascinating and so so then I assumed, so was DL I the next step for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, after basic you would go through DL I pick up your basic language acquisition. I studied Persian FARSI. I finished that and went into the intelligence and the air flu training pipelines. So you go through your intel analysis schools. We do that in a place called goodfell At Air Force Base in San Angelo, Texas. Then most of our survival stuff, most of it happens up in Washington State. And then by June of ninety seven, I had spent just shia two years in the initial accession pipeline. I made it to my first duty station at off At Air Force Base outside of Omaha, Nebraska, in a little town called Bellevue.
Speaker 1: Fascinating and so what what were you responsible for their when you learn Offit?
Speaker 2: At off It, I was a new crypt linguist. We were assigned to the RC one thirty five's. I got a chance to qualify on the the what we call the Rivet joint, the Combat Scent and the Cobra Ball. I flew up probably about ten different deployments. Fortunately they were all relatively short air crew deployments by normal deployment standards. And it all has to do with aircrew hours and you know, keeping keeping folks physiologically from being like overflowing, if you will. So back and forth to the sandbox.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: This was Operation Southern Watch, Northern Watch. Most of my deployments would have been to Prince Salton Air Base. I did one up to insult Turkey, and that happened to coincide with events that were unfolding in ninety nine for Allied Force. But on my very first deployment, I went out with the combat Scent and the Cobra ball excuse me, the combat scent and the Rivet joint and we redeployed back through Ramstein, Germany. And there I ran into an AC one thirty spector crew and a guy that the personality sticks out. His name is James Patterson O'Brien and uh, and if you could imagine, he's from Boston, and uh, he's got family members that were cops and firemen and probably one that was a priest. But Obe, as they called him, he was an intimidating fellow because he had this cool specter patch and he was wearing all of the subdued patches and my aircrew patches all look like a bright shining rainbow compared to his, and he's he looks at me and gives me this stern, you know, evil look. He's like what are you a fucking dizzo? And I had to look at my supervisor at the time. I'm like, what is he talking about? Is I don't speak that. He's like, well, you had asked, you know, could you ever go down and and do our do our job in Florida? And he's like, that's what he's talking about. Oh so I was a wee can fly on gunships. And so at that point it dawned on me on my very first deployment that I was not in the airframe that I was most suited for. You know, the the rivid joint was was cool. I like to say, it can spy on the devil and talk to God. There's enough Wisban gadgetry on this aircraft to handle all of today's work. And you have a twelve way adjustable captain's chair, you know, like all kinds of comfort on this aircraft. So anyway, I find out on that very first deployment that I can go work with Air Force Special Operations and from you know, that planet a seed, and so I had to figure out like, okay, how do you chart that path, what do you have to do, what do you how do you qualify to get considered to go and do that sort of work. So fast forward, that's what I did, And by two thousand I had done a number of deployments around the world and and I went down to do assess assessment for what we called Commando Look, And that was so that I could become an intel professional, support and Air Force special operations on their various airframes, whether it was AC one thirty gunships, MC one thirty talents, they had fifty three payblows and then ultimately they ended up Osprey's and so on. I got a chance to do and fly all of those.
Speaker 1: It sounds kind of challenging, just even rivet joint. It sounds kind of challenging because like when you talk about you know, somebody who's doing signals intelligence at like a regional collection facility or something like that. You know, obviously there is that real time aspect, but they can also record it, they can go back, they can like assess it, but they're kind of depending on you guys for real time like side by side interpretation or translations as you're flying. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a there's a number of aspects like way that you would look at it from the intelligence process that goes along with all of it. But like first and foremost, you know, any Intel professional that is assigned to one of those crews, your your duty is to the platform itself. And then oh, by the way, you know whatever, you know, national priority requirements might be levied upon you for tasking and that sort of thing. Right, so you you you basically trioge based on prioritization, you know, so preservation of the platform itself comes first and foremost, and then then going after whatever national requirements might be tasked to you.
Speaker 1: Right, what was it a I don't want to say Rivet joint in parteriar, but it was a n I s R platform that was rushed and down by the Chinese a few years ago, Right, So.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a It wasn't a Rivet joint. I think the one that you're talking about is the Navy P three and the Hainan Island incident. Udly enough, I was just having a conversation with somebody about that story today.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Fast forward towards the end of my career, I got a chance to be a superintendent of the Intel squadron that that handled all of the flyers for the Arsenlum thirty five specifically for the Pacific, and that Heinen Island incident was one of our alum He was what we would have called a Niner, the three ninetyieth Intelligence Squadron. Kirk Town's his name. He actually happened to be an airman that was augment in that Navy P three crew when the Heinen Island incident happened. And and I had several mentors that were part of the repatriation process and and so forth. But yeah, that that was an interesting story. Uh, maybe one for another episode. Yeah, there's a there's a lot of opinions out there on yeah, and whether or not landing at Heinen Island is the right call under the circumstances.
Speaker 1: Right, and then and then I booked I guess that not to go to but I said, there wasn't a they didn't do a sufficient burn of of everything on the aircraft either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a there's a ton of story that I would that I'd love to share with you one day over over a beverage when we're when we're not on this call.
Speaker 1: Sounds good, sounds good.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a deep story.
Speaker 1: But but just to just kind of point out that you know, you talk about intelligence on an ac vers like A one thirty five and those those ones that you know the most is SR platforms are fairly defenseless, like they're out there kind of hanging it out right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean you you operate within you know, international standards, you know what is known. You know, every everybody's going to do some form of reconnaissance on one another intelligence gathering. What how do you but yeah, you go out there. You typically, you know, at alta tude, you're you're in international airspace or within an area that you're approved to fly, and then you know you're executing your mission. Uh, you know, depending on the ao R. I've done everything from off the off the coast of the Chatka Peninsula to you know, in the in the Pacific theater, whether it be you know, North Korea, China, across the Middle East. Most of my deployments and the rest of my formative years were on the APSOX side, So majority of my time was spent deploy into Iraq, Afghanistan, Horn of Africa, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, so you make it through this selection, uh, and I assume that there's you know, additional training for you then at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the worst part of selection is the is the psycho aw I hated that part. It was too damn long and they asked the same question over and over. Uh, so I I despised. It turns out the guy that was doing.
Speaker 3: My position with ob on that that specter crew ended up being on my board when I was going through the selection process, and so Jack is his name.
Speaker 2: Jack ends up telling me, Yeah, the psych doc came in and debriefed how irritated you got with the number of questions and that you thought that it was bullshit because there wasn't any like actual correct answer in the five choices that they gave you. I was like, yeah, that's about right. So he gives the readout on the situation and everybody's like, well okay, and they did their vote around the room. Everybody slaps the table on approval for Rob. He's like and then I just started laughing, you know, and I was like, well, what was so funny? I was like, because the psych doc said the same thing when I assessed. So I just laughed at all of them, said you just let another one of me, and they give the chief.
Speaker 1: Dumbasses, so you and at the twenty fifth Intelligence Squadron at Herlbert. And what's it like for you when you first show up there?
Speaker 2: Back then? Really small squadron. We were maybe maybe eighty strong, small unit. It hadn't it hadn't exploded yet. Uh. And and when I say exploded, a lot of stuff, you know, coincided with with my eleven War on Terror, the deployments that the resulted from all of that. But we were eighty people strong. I was a young guy coming from the rc WENT thirty five arena, trying to figure out, Okay, how do I do an intelligence job to support you know, Air Force special operations platforms and so on. I had several guys, one of my mentors, a buddy named Ted Gambogi, another guy named Shane Kimmitt. You know, we lost Shane in O two and an aircraft accident in Roosevelt Roads. But those guys kind of helped steer me, you know, down the successful path of how to navigate from the traditional strategic IR platform down to the soft side and you know, how to operate in the weeds and uh and do you know how do you fit in within that crew? And and it really you know, boiled down to airmanship and and learning learning your airframe, learning your craft, and being able to mix and mingle with whether it be a special operations airlift mission or strike or cast platform or rescue, you know, with the rotary lift, you name it. So they helped me navigate it. Jack was one of my primary instructors and uh and I leaned on him heavily because in the late nineties, Jack and another guy named John Scott had been in some key missions over in Bosnia and Serbia, and Jack specifically he was he was the dizzo on the Paveloat mission that flew in to rest to you at the time, that was Lieutenant Colonel Goldfiend. He was a squadron commander. I think of the triple Nickel, the five fifty fifth out of Aviano, if I have all that historically out theurate and when Goldfiend grew went on to become the chiefest staff of the Air Force. That night he described it as he said, it was his least proud moment when he successfully intercepted an SA three missile, meaning he got shot down. So anyway, Jack and the crew get the payblows, get tasked to go and recover those guys recover him. And if you can imagine like where his AT six team gets shot down, like it's in a heavily defended air defense serfs to air missile type environment. So Jack as an intel capability on the pablows. It helps them navigate through low level terrain masking, threat avoidance, threat warning, that sort of thing. These guys literally fly the gauntlet in order to go and pick up Goldfen and Goldfien you know, lives and becomes to the capabilities of Air Force Special Operations and specifically the ones we call the steel Horse the payblows.
Speaker 1: That's wild. That's wild. So while you're at the twenty fifth on your first tour, that's when nine to eleven happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nine to eleven happened obviously September eleventh that year. I had just by by about July time period, I had gotten qualified on the U model gunship known as the Spooky AC went thirty U. And when once nine eleven happened, immediately everybody is in deployment mode like you're just waiting, you know, you know that the orders are going to come. It's just a matter of like the tasking flowing and that sort of thing. So our unit immediately starts spinning people up on additional airframes so that you can maximize you know, support and you know, expand capability and so on. They build out the deployment team. And there's a handful of people that know this story. But Rick, Cops, if you're listening, I apologize for what I'm about to say. Sorry, not sorry. They were building out the initial deployment team and I wasn't on the list, and I was recently, you know, like I was the guy who had just assessed into the unit, but I was the one who had most recent you know experience in our intel mission in that AOO and so our guys were looking at the seasoned folks and Rick Cox's name was on the list as one of our folks and he was out in the Pacific Theater. And as they're going around the room with the initial deployment plan, fella name, he become Colonel sip the Captain Sippowitz, big tall, athletic dude, grizzled jaw. You know, he just sitting there stone stone cold, you know, killer planning, you know, the the deployment operation for for our mission set. And he does the around the room and I'm like, yep, new guy here. I got a question and I made my pitch. I was like, I'm the most recent I'm newly qualified on this, but I've got recent experience in this ar. I've been busting my ass and my name's not on that list that I want. I want that changed. And he stops and he listens, goes around the rooms. A whole bunch of people said thumbs up. He's like, all right, Cox is out, Harrison, you're in and Uh, and that story has come back, especially after I had made a chief. He's like, I remember the day when you and Uh, and it was, you know, just a moment where open mouths get fed you you you speak up. And in this case, I had had reason too. And man if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have made the initial deployment, and things hadn't wouldn't have unfolded the way they did in my crew. And well, anyway, sorry, not something.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that initial deployment because Gecko, Rhino and Akanda Roberts like, you were there for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had. I was extremely fortunate. So I was brand new and to say brand new amongst you know an operator crowd. I didn't even know what a rock drum was, so I was new, you know. When it came to that level of operations. I had some senior folks, a fella named Ken Welborne that took me under his wing. He showed me the ropes.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, it's your pal Jack. I just want to take a moment to tell you about the sponsor for this show, which is stop Box. Stop Box makes this very cool box to secure your items in where your valuables or weapons could be a firearm, knife, things that you want to keep away from kids. Opens up like so, and the way it locks is very interesting, and you can change the combination by the way, so you have these actuators on the side, and in this case for demonstration purposes, the code is to hold down the index finger and pointer finger and then come over and there's a thumb.
Speaker 1: Hit that and it opens up. So that's the code.
Speaker 4: And this thing is proudly made in the us of A, so they keep the quality very high. It's also TSA compliant, so you can throw this in a bag and travel with it. And stop Box also offers a range of other innovative products, including their vehicle safe chamber lock, and other essential gear designed to keep you prepared and protected wherever you are. For a limited time only, our listeners are getting a crazy deal.
Speaker 1: Not only do you get ten.
Speaker 4: Percent off your entire order when you use the code house at STOPBOXUSA dot com, but they are also giving you a buy one, get one free for their Stopbox Pro. That's ten percent off and a free Stopbox Pro when you use the code house at STOPBOXUSA dot com. Discover a better way to balance security and readiness with stopbox.
Speaker 1: So your first deployment with them is that includes Gecko and Rhino and a condo along with Robert Fridge. Can you tell us about that deployment how it starts out for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I had just mentioned a fellow by the name of Ken Wellbornon who was our He was our senior guy and had taken me under his wing, showed me the ropes and kept me from walking into propellers and all kinds of stuff. Ken was a typical you know, just he was the epitome of a of an awesome senior nco. He he had done a ton of cool stuff in his career, and so at this point like this might have been towards the end of his actual active duty career, so he put me, you know, out in front as much as he possibly could. I had the fortune of being on the very first AC one thirty that crossed into Afghanistan airspace after nine to eleven, and then that led to that initial mission at Gecko and Rhino, which was the airfield seizure that the Rangers had taken over what became Rhino at Camp Rhino, I think is what the Marines called it. They once they took over from the Rangers and to all the Marines, the Rangers were there first. Then Gecko was Mulla Omar's palace, and that night that was a huge joint Special operations mission, tons of rotary wing aircraft, fixed wing. I remember charging at the border and we had we had three gunships and three talents his sixty one thirties line of breast trying to hit tankers as we're pressing in, and the tanker crews were hilarious because they're like, no, this tale nuver is supposed to be behind this tanker and we're like, dude, we don't give a shit, just give us gas. And so they gave us gas and we pressed on because they were about to screw up time zone target. So anyway we push in the airborn mission commander is Pete Blaber. He's on board the aircraft that I'm on, and yeah it was wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know it's interesting because you know, having been involved in all this stuff, you know, the AC one thirty is a platform that's sort of been under fire, you know, like we we don't need anymore since Vietnam, and it's and from what I hear, it's under fire again. I mean, but with as they continue to update it, do you see anything else that can read place its capabilities?
Speaker 2: Man, I think we'd have to sit here and go to the whiteboard with some sci fi capabilities. You know, when you talk about you know, persistent casts and so on, the debate nowadays is you know, penetrating platforms and you know, having having an environment that allows for a persistent cast platform. Whether the debate is over the A ten that is you know, phased out and said to be replaced by the F thirty five. Like you know, nothing will ever you know, purposely specifically be able to replace what the A ten Warthog could do, just like nothing would ever be able to specifically replace what an ac Win thirty can do. I could there be something, Yeah, but I'm I'm your typical you know. Uh, I'm a I'm a soft guy at heart, you know. So what do we do? We think outside the box? I could come up with a number of Barnapkin ideas on how we could do that, but I don't know. I think there are certain platforms that always be near and dear and sentimental. So I would I'd vote to keep it around as long as you can, because I mean, look at look at what's going on in Iran and Israel right now. If if Israel is able to you know, establish you know, air superiority, well now you have the ability to penetrate with those platforms that weren't initially designed to penetrate.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I'd say there's still a need, still a capability that would exist and still in the future, you know, it push came to shove, you would you would allow, you'd create the environment that would allow their their operations to continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so let's go on to Robert s. Fize if you don't mind, can can you tell us sort of the the mission brief for you guys, what your responsibility was and how it all played out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that initial deployment was you know October. Robert's Ridge is associated with Operation anacondas so we got to fast forward to February March time period of two thousand and two. So just chronologically, you've gone through you know, Pobbo has fallen, Kandahar has fallen, the North has fallen, the al Qaeda fighters and Taliban had moved to Tora Bora, and we've gone through the winter time where they've kind of retreated into their high ground if you will, basically pages out of the playbook that they had used against the Russians in the eighties. Ironically, that was required reading for us as we were going in. I remember books, you know, showing up by the case for the bear went over the mountain and the other side of the mountain. So it was eighties, uh, you know, war story perspectives, one from you know, Russian commanders and others from commanders of the muja haden, So we obviously cared what the other side of the mountain looked like, and what was unfolding in Operation at Anaconda was exactly what we anticipated based on how they had behaved against the Russians in the eighties. So the mission brief is that this is the spring offensive. It's brief as hammer and Anvil. You're gonna have special operations, uh overwatch, calling in fire support. You're gonna have uh soft working with indigenous pushing up against the anvil that is a conventional force. And it's all gonna happen right there in the Shaykope Valley for anybody that follows the you know, Afghan you know, uh critical battles and stuff. The the nearest town that would be significant is that of Marzak. You know, the there's uh, there's areas like the the safe houses up in Gardez, you know, the some of the forces had come out of barroom down to this area. But anyway, Operation Anaconda is going to be the kickoff of all of that. Ironically, the very first night of Anaconda gets delayed with weather and so forth, and then once we start to move you know, American forces into position, it becomes immediately obvious that the enemy is already there and they already have a foothold in the high ground. We essentially don't have enough dedicated close air support on station. During the very first night of operation Anaconda, which causes a shuffle of the scheduling plan for the next night, and then we just basically saturated. So we've got three gunships coming out of the north, out of Uzbekistan, We've got three gunships coming out of Mesira. Six birds on station staggered over the period of darkness to make sure that there's plenty of cast to go around, and not to mention, you know, the platforms that were well beyond you know, just the AC one thirties, you had other fixed wing capabilities in the area as well. For our specific mission, when Robert's Ridge is unfolding, we are the emergency on call cast platform. We don't have a dedicated customer that night. Our goal is to basically take off, fly right through Afghanistan airspace, immediately hit a tanker in Pakistan, top off our tanks, and then just stand by for any emergency that may pop up. While that happens. One of our sister ships a nail a nail flight, I think it was Nail to zero. They were originally tasked for the Maco infill via the Razor elements, so Razor was the image forty seven. Some of your listeners the audience may be familiar with Alan Mack. He's the chief worn officer that was pilot and Razors zero three. He's the guy who's taking in the seal team that is Maco three zero and their combat controller is MAKEO three zero Charlie John Chapman. We are on tanker while NAIL is supposed to be covering that infill. Well, there's a series of delays, some of its maintenance related, and then meanwhile Coust Airfield comes under attack. So since the infield that that NAIL is supposed to cover is delayed, Airborne Command and Control decides to re roll the NAIL element to cover the troops in contact situation that erupts at Coust. And when this is going on, we're literally flying right by that airspace and we even come up on the radio going, hey, they've got a dedicated mission. You're sure you don't want us to cover that troops in contact since we're the emergency on call platform. They're like, nope, nope, Nail's got it. The other guys are delayed, You guys proceed a tanker and don't mess up the tanker flow. So we set to the ar track for air refueling. We we we're topping off our tanks when all of a sudden you hear may day, may a made a any grim any nail. This is Maco three zero, Charlie. And when you hear that, you know, everybody's you know, quiet as you know. You can hear a pin drop on the aircraft, believe it or not. We're we're in the middle, like the one point thirty gets heavy behind a tanker and we have to execute what they call it toboggan. So you're descending with the tanker in order to maintain air speed and stay connected, all while this Mayday call is going on. So pilot's talking to the engineer. I'm getting a location of a down to aircraft over some special equipment that I have on board. They they execute an emergency breakaway from the tanker, and I passed the coordinates of the of the down to aircraft and the source of where you know, John Chapman's on the radio, and we just make a b line to their to their location sensors to those specific coordinates, and we just fly straight there and establish an orbit over what is now downed Razor zero three in the valley just north of their original infilid position that was at toccer Gar at the mountain top.
Speaker 1: So so you guys are looking at the downed aircraft. Meanwhile things are going on on the ridge line. Are you paying attention to both or do you have a priority there?
Speaker 2: So when we when we fly in, we're we're trained to trained. The sensors are are specifically looking at at the coordinates and what turns out to be like the actual helicopter and you can see friendlies around the crash site as we're flying in and establishing that orbit. Chappie's on the on the radio as three zero Charlie telling us that they lost a teammate on top of the mountain and says, hey, we've got a friendly up there. Can you shift eyes and shift your orbit to that location? And so we hadn't even established a full orbit, but we just slide immediately slew the sensor to the mountaintop. That's where we see an active IR strobe and an individual laid out on the mountaintop. We've got a sister ship, another grim element that picks up an orbit around the helicopter and then we just slid our orbit over to the mountain. So there's there's two specter gunships in neighboring orbits covering the helicopter's crash site and the original infill location. So we're eyes on the infill location and we are Grim three to two.
Speaker 1: Okay, and is it this point, at this point that well, are you sure? Are you guys there when Chappie, when Slab's team comes in.
Speaker 2: So when they initially tried to infill, note, we were not, so we didn't see any of that. What I've what I have seen of that mission is from old historic footage and I can't find that stuff anymore, like I know it still exists. But there's some interesting story in all of that because that's where Fifi Petty Officer Neil Roberts was the guy who fell out of the back of the helicopter. There's a variety of accounts of what happened in that immediate aftermath. I was not specifically there, but I've spoken to one of my mentors was the intel guy that was that was supporting those airframes out of Uzbekistan, and he literally debriefed those crews. And so the story is that that Fifi fell out of that helicopter, he got jostled loose as they had positioned getting ready for the info. So the team is up and they're they're positioning towards the ramp and then once they're coming in, the enemy activity is seen by the crew of the helicopter and they start taking enemy fire. They wave off of the infill and that's when Roberts gets knocked loose, and the the forty seven gunner that was there, it would have been a crew chief in the back. He's the tail gunner, if you will, That's what we would have called him in the Air Force. But he said that that when Fifi fell, it was happening in slow motion and all I could see was him smiling back up at him. And so there's there's different accounts on how exactly that fall happens. And I'll save part of that story for Frank Daily since he was the one who debriefed those guys. But anyway, the gunner, the crew chief had fallen, Fifi's involved in helping recover that guy, and then Fifi falls after all of that, and the story is that that Fifi survived that fall, and Fifi's seen engage in the enemy, but that footage was out there and then that footage got scrapped like it got. I don't know, I don't know what the circumstances are, but I remember I remember seeing Fifi fight against the enemy out there. And this is all before, like before our gunship. When I say I saw it, it was after the fact. I had seen video of this, but I haven't seen it since. And so our perspective when all this unfolds, that helicopter is now limped off north of the valley. Interesting stories from Alan mack on on how that happens. Amazing airmanship involved all the way around on that crew. Well, by the time we see what's going on, we've put eyes on based on Chappe's direction, Petty Officer Roberts is laid out with an active IR strobe and we see him just laid out stationary on top of the mountain. Upon further inspection, our sensors can see what turns out to be footpads, and it looks it looks like if you were to do an exploit, like a spliced view of an ant hill, it's like you could see the little foot footpads. And the difference is because the heat of the of the melted snow where they've been walking back and forth versus the cold of the snow top, you know, mountain, and so you've got the hot spot of Robert's body, you've got dark, dark, what I call rat lines for the foot pads, and then all of a sudden, the enemy just come out of the woodwork and they just surround him. So at that point the strob is extinguished. We don't know the fate of Roberts. We have to assume that we have that we're dealing with the potential survivor. Next thing, you know, Roberts is positioned up against the area that they called the boulder, and so that's the big rock outcrop. So if you're if you're looking up slope where where the teams would have infilled to the top of that mountain and been fighting uphill towards bunk what was known as Bunker one and Bunker two, the rock out crop, the boulder, is that that big rock structure that's up there kind of center mass.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, our show is sponsored by ghost Bed. Check them out. Please to make awesome mattresses, awesome pillows, awesome betting. Ghostpread provides high quality, is super comfortable, award winning mattresses crafted in the US and Canada. Did you know that sixty percent of US adults report being too hot when they're trying to sleep. That's me, I'm a sweaty little baby. That's why we designed all of our products with cooling features so you stay comfortable in asleep all night long. Pair any of our mattresses with ghost Beds Award winning adjustable base and get the ultimate sleep experience. Ghost fed rules the family owned business sixty thousand plus five star reviews. They have sleep experts on staff with twenty plus years of experience. If you have any questions, you can hit them up and ask them, you know, maybe what kind of mattresses work for you. Twenty plus year warranty that's two times the industry standard. Free shipping and returns on mattresses. Most of the products ship out within twenty four hours. They have in house customer support and sleep actress sleep experts Chilling in Plantation, Florida. It rules It's the best. They give you one hundred and one night's risk free to make sure that these beds are right for you. If you don't like it after one hundred and one nights, you could send it back full refund when you purchase a ghost bed mattress, you're comfort guaranteed. I'm reading it right now and it's Capital letters guaranteed. Okay, they do the right thing and they're a great company. If you're not sure which ghost bed's right for you, like I said before, you could take you could take their mattress quiz online, or you can give a call to one of their sleep experts and they'll help you with exactly what you possibly could need, what works for you, and what doesn't. And the best news about this is Team House listeners and viewers. You get an extra ten percent off sitewide for a limited time. You just go to goosped dot com slash house and use the code house at checkout one more time. That's go sped dot com slash house with the code house ho u se at checkout for an extra ten percent off site wide. I want to thank goh sped for their continued support. I want to thank all the fans that listen and watch for their continued support. Without you, guys, we are nothing, So thank you for supporting the show, and thank you for supporting the companies that help support the show. Go sped dot com slash house for ten percent off made in the US, made in Canada. Shout out to our brothers in Canada. They rock check them out. I love ghostped Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Well, Roberts gets propped up right there, and we assume that the enemies wounded him and propped him up and left in his bait, knowing that the Americans are going to come back for him and basically lay in an ambush for anybody that.
Speaker 1: Comes back, right And is she on the from from where we see Chappie's in phil Is he on the near side or the far side or the top side of the bottom side of the boulder?
Speaker 2: Do you remember Roberts is on the near side? So where the where the where? You look at videos that show the MAKEO three zero element and Chapman all, you know, infilling and then going up the mountain that you can actually see the hot spot that is petty Officer Roberts, And he's kind of if you're looking at the boulder and Bunker one, he's closer to Bunker one than he is the far side of the boulder, Okay, but he's propped up against the boulder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if that was included in the the video and the analysis that what was his uh, the gentleman who wrote the book, I can't remember, but on the.
Speaker 2: Kid, Yeah, it's Dan Shilling, right, Dan Shilling that right over my shoulder here, Lorie Chapman, Long Fritz and Dan Chilling road alone at dawn. There's a great video out there that Dan nir rates and that's based on the culmination of all of the Air Force's research that went into the John Chapman Medal of Honor package. So you can you can look, you can see what's in that book, and you can look at that video and hear what Dan narrates, and you can take that as gospel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay. So so then how long before the make A three team goes in for the recovery?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Without having the times right in front of me, I can't give you an exact one. Roughly, I would say it's probably about an hour before they get the they re insert to try and recover Roberts. And the difference is that so razors threes down in the valley zero four infilled a separate MAKEU element, but they're the second of the MH forty sevens. Because normally, you know, any rotary lift is usually going to fly into two ships so that they have self recovery capability. But they had two distinct teams and two separate infill locations that they were working. But zero four is not going to come home until they've you know, gotten words on zero three. So he's orbiting in what we would describe as a black hole, you know, away from populated areas, but he's terrain massed from a line of sight on the on the radios with his teammate ers zero three, who's now crashed. So zero four's talking to us, We're talking to zero three and we're giving them an update and Chappie as three zero Charlie is is coordinating you know, the pickup. And there's an interesting storyline there because you can look at some of the videos and Slab says that he ended up having a mission change and now his mission became to rest that air crew and as a teammates, as a soft team on a helicopter that crashes. Unless you literally gather those guys and you expill on the ground away from that, you're not rescuing anybody. You're being rescued unless you're the combat controller who is trained to coordinate rescue assets coming in and doing that sort of thing. So Chappie is three zero, Charlie is the one who actually coordinates via Grim three two two Razor zero four to come in and pick them up, and then they reconstitute at the safehouse, figure out their plan of attack, and then they come back to the top of the mountain to recover Roberts. So there's videos out there. It's part of the growing false narrative that the Navy pushed with Gritzlovinski and one of those elements of what I would consider stolen Valor. You know, John's the one who affected the rescue of that crew, but the people that did the rescuing were Raizor zero four. So anyway, so at splitting heres, but I think it detracts from the credibility of Slab and the rest of the drama that goes on with all of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so are you guys on station then when that insertion happens.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we are. We're on station. And what sucks during all of this As anybody under these circumstances, you would want a close air support platform to potentially soften targets to do some pre assault fires. But we are a gunship thinking of a survivor on the ground and everything is danger close proximity. And oh, by the way, we were a crew that was involved in a fracture side the very night before, and so you can, you know, armchair quarterback it. I would tell you that the fracture side event that happened the night before, while it was in the mind of the crew, this crew was seasoned, professional enough to put that piece aside and deal with the situation at hand. And the fratricite event from the night before did not, you know, actually impact. Like the reason why we didn't shoot. We didn't shoot free assault fires because we didn't know for sure the status of Roberts and he was literally danger close and by a definition, there was nobody there that could give us the authority to fire our munitions right there danger close proximity when when he wasn't in comms given us the authorization because he was the one in harm's way.
Speaker 1: Baby. For instance, you said that you guys could identify through thermal the rat lines and stuff, so you could see the termination points, so you could essentially in a way identify the bunkers.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, we knew at times you could see the personnel and then other times they would mask themselves, right, camouflage concealment, but you knew where positions were. You could see where some trenches, you could see where some paths were. You could see areas that would definitely be of interest for us to put down fires. But every one of those would have been in the danger close proximity of where Roberts was because of the how how close that area is well.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to Mandy Morning quarterback this because obviously I wasn't there, and I'm like in the good idea of fairy always happens afterwards. But you guys have like smoke capability on on on your bird.
Speaker 2: So there would have been back in the day we would have flown with what they called Willie Pete rounds, probably familiar with the white phosphorus. Yeah, we didn't have them on board during during these but but yeah, that the capabilities, yes, uh. And then one of the other things, you know, discussion that had happened between whether it was command and control us on board that that sort of thing. There were ideas of laying down fire on the far side of the ridge and walking them up towards the fighter positions and then keeping our fire on the other side of the boulder that them would have shielded Petty Officer Roberts. So there were a number of tactical you know, considerations that were that were given that ultimately, like they wanted pre assault fires, we didn't give them as a result of, you know, not knowing the fate of robertson again danger close sure, and then we were identifying the spot that we wanted them to infill to and the idea was that they would come in, get on the ground, established two way coms with us, and then they would talk us onto targets and then we would establish their position on the mountain. Well, I think the tactical debate and and this is you know, to put words in the in the mouth of the team leader, you know, And and maybe it's not even that I've seen interviews and heard his his take on it, but they didn't want to fight uphill. Uh. There was a sense of urgency. They had a teammate that was down. They wanted to get right back to the X, and so the normal consideration of either doing an offset or landing where we had marked for them didn't make tactical sense to them, and so they chose to blow right through our spot and then infield literally right back on the X. Caught us by surprise because we were literally lazing where we wanted them to go right and then they blew right through it. And I remember, you know, us talking about it because you know, somebody's like, hey, keep eyes on on this, keep marking the LZ, and we're like, they're already back on the on the X. They already hit the ground, and some of the crew that didn't have eyes on the sensors that was them catching up on the reality of what was going on. So it happened pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so they land on the X. You guys see uh, you guys see somebody fall and yet you think that it's due to enemy fire. Later we found out he just like it was snow, like you fell.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So after after actions, you know, the order in which they the team make O three zero all exits. The aircraft slab was first. He doubles over, according to his account, in the snow, not not realizing how deep that snow was. From an aircrew perspective, we literally thought they had been hit by enemy fire and that he was down down. That's what put Chapman on point, because Chapman leap frogged over Slab at this point and he's he's recovering from snow in the face and goggles and everything else. And so Chapman's on point going up the slope as the rest of the team gets gets together to include Slab and they form a little circle some folks WO call it a wagon wheel, and Chappy's slightly upslope from them, so he's he's between their formation and Bunker one, closest to the most formidable threat, which is Bunker one at this moment, right, and then they start taking fire from three different directions and all hell breaks.
Speaker 1: Right, So Chappy, it looks to me like watching the video, CHAPPI moves to contact, and he is He's probably expecting the people on his six to move to contact with him, and they decided. You know, I'm not saying they're wrong. I don't know their tactics, but they're not moving to contact. They are deciding what they're going to do next.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'm gonna piece this together. Just culmination of stuff, and this is access to people who had done the analysis, other seals that had analyzed it, others Air Force Special Tactics, folks that had looked at it what you had with you had two different thoughts and trains of thought, the move to contact and then those that didn't. And there there was a difference in training of tactics that was going on within that community. According to Eric Demming, he had explained it to me as the close quarters defense guys that school of thought moved to contact and then whatever this other variation of training tactics was, they didn't do it the same way. And so John goes towards the gun and is attack the attacker. You've got to go through the ambush, as it was explained to me, He's doing that, and a wedge never forms behind him. Instead, they're breaking off into two man fire teams. So the only person that actually follows behind Chappie is Slab himself. Because two guys are covering down slope. Two guys are going towards what if we just consider their infill point and look up the mountain, I'll just say left and right. Two guys go over to the left of the boulder, and then that would put Chapman on point. Slab a good distance behind him going towards Bunker one, and Chappy is the one, who is you know, laying hate to Bunker one, eliminates Bunker one. Eventually Slab catches up to him, but it's after Chappi's eliminated that threat, he's gone through a magazine or two. He he literally goes inside that bunker and you know, eliminates him at point blank range. And then after all of that, after he's gone in and come out on the other side, that's when Slab finally closes that distance and he fires some confirmatory shots into the bunker. And then Slab and Chappier both than engaging what we call Bunker two that's higher above that, and it's actually a bigger threat. It was just it was masked by the tree and the rock there. So Chappy's on the far right, and then Slab is approaching Bunker two between the boulder and the tree that is right there at Bunker one, so he's got some cover and concealment, but they are both in the fray and they're both trying to direct fires at Bunker two, and that's when Chappie sustains a mortal wound, gets taken out of the fight incapacitated, and ultimately Slab believes he's killed, and then he ends up breaking contact from the bunker two engagement, coming up with a different plan. You can see that unfold on the video. There's a gunner that climbs up on top of the rock. Enemy frags the top of the grenade, the top of that rock with the grenade. The gunner falls down, and then shortly thereafter slabs assessing the situation, and the team makes a collective decision to tactically retreat. They throw some smoke grenades to cover their movement, and they break contact. And all of this is unfolding before our eyes, and we do not have two way radio contact with the team at.
Speaker 1: All, right, And so, yeah, and that difference in tactics, it's definitely to me, to me and and Jack, you've seen the video. Like to me, Chapman was moving like a ranger like it was, you know, it was it was infantry tactics, right, uh, movement to contact, and the Seals are not necessarily following that same protocol. They had their own sort of their own sort of protocol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chappy wasn't foreign to this team, you know. So he had worked with them and and he had not only been in the field, he had done pre deployment stuff with the with these same same teams. He was he was no nubie when it came to working with with this particular seal team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So then is there any point like during that operation where you guys real time realized that Chapman is still alive.
Speaker 2: There's a moment of fog and friction, and it happens right as they break contact. So the main element of make breaks contact. We assume that all of Maco three zero is together except for petty Officer Roberts. The radio call comes across and it is it's now slab on the radio and it is, hey, Grim, this is Maco three zero. We are no longer on top of the mountain. Got troops down possible, KA need fire on tops now. And it's a it's an unconventional nine line, is what he's telling us. Right, we know where they are. We've got a strobe on their main element. As you can imagine, you get on top of an objective, if everybody has their strobe emitting, then it presents confusion for sensors that are out there. So there'll be like one main guy that keeps a strobe on for the team. And then everybody else has the other marketing, you know, capabilities, and we can see who's who. I will see that we momentarily lost eyes on what would have been Chappy when he sustains that that initial mortal wound and is incapacitated because when they break contact, Chappie's kind of under the cover of the branches of that tree next to Bunker one, and we think that that whole team is together, and when he says possible Kia, we assume that he's talking about Petty Officer Roberts, right, because they were literally right next to Roberts up against that boulder, and so like we're literally seeing them right next to each other. So you know, the only thing that seems to make sense is that. But again you assume, right, So we didn't. You know, ttpees have sinse evolved and we're way more deliberate about, you know, number of personnel that go on an objective and calling out all of those those key elements of information so that you keep tabs on all the right stuff. But at that moment, no, we didn't know. And he calls for fire and we immediately start trying to put down rounds well onside on board the gunship, we're trying to shoot with the forty millimeter bofors and on the specter we call that gun five. There's a gun malfunction with gun five. The gunners have to take that down, so we switch over primary weapon to gun six, the one oh five howitzer. The we had proximity rounds loaded in the one oh five, so the gunners have to do a round change because that proximity round the way that thing's gonna work, it's gonna spin up. And when it the way the fuse works on that thing, after it gets so many feet above the ground, it's gonna air burst and it's gonna shrapnel.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So, since you've got a potential friendly and unknown you know, unknown status, we don't want to shoot the prox rounds unless we're literally we know that we're shooting its soft enemy targets. So they switch over to a point that natan round that takes the better part of half in orbit. So we're talking from the call for fire to the initial rounds impacting, probably about a minute and a half or so have transpired. So we start going hot with the one oh five. The infrared sensors primary on that gun. The TV sensor. He can see all light level TV. So think of this like an MVG capability. He can see the ambient light that's magnified sixty somewhat thousand times that of what it actually is. So he's looking for light sources. And a gunship's tactics will end up being where, you know, if one sensor's firing, another sensor will always be primary on the friendlies, so that sensor is the TV Chris. Chris is primary on the friendlies, So he's scanning back and forth where the IR is engaging and where the friendlies have egress too, and that way we can keep tabs on what's going on, and then he can also look for light emissions around where we're actually engaging. Well, it's in that moment of those initial rounds that we put down that are all one oh five on those known fighting positions up around the higher terrain elevation that Chris says, Hey, FOCO, that's the fire control officer that's in charge of the sensors that are actually doing the shooting. He's like, hey, Folco, I've got another strobe up here. He's like, but this one doesn't look like the others I've got like the main element of friendlies are here, and I got this other strobe here. And so as a crew they start to deconflict like what they're actually seeing, what we're seeing doesn't match what we just heard from slab is Maco three zero. And then before you ever get a chance to really communicate that particular fog and friction, the enemy starts lobbing mortars in on top of the LZ and they're walking them close to where the make up element is, so you're onto the next closest alligator to the boat. So we saw that strobe come active, and I've seen it. I saw it in real time. I saw it better, you know, in the aftermath of all the analysis. Well you see Chappie literally crawl back into Bunker one at that point. And so what makes sense to me is that his strobe looks different either a because he was using a different, different strobe, like maybe a backup strobe. We had little little ir Firefly as we called him, that stuck on the end of nine volt batteries. If it wasn't that, if if he was used in the same exact strobe, then perhaps it was the the disbursement of light based on the tree canopy or the any covering that would have been over the bunker area. So anyway, there was a distinct, you know, light emission difference when you're looking at those from the from the footage, and then we're literally going after, you know, the mortar situation and trying to cover the team's movement and they're moving further from down the mountain at this point. And we'd never come back to the idea of there being one of their original team that went back after Roberts being left up there. We never knew that they left a teammate behind, but we did see that stroke come active, and that was the the aha moment. But you're now covering the movement of the team, you're onto something else. You don't have radio coms with anybody else up there, and the sun's coming up and Command and Control is ordering us off station, you name it. It's like Murphy had a party up there that night.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and one of the things about the AC platform that maybe the viewers don't know is because it is a slow moving, low flying aircraft, the Air Force is not like them up when the sun is up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was expressly against our our doctrine to operate during during daytime operations, and it's times back to the First Golf War. There's an aircraft that everybody in the gunship community knows, Spirit zero three. They were they were done with their mission. There were marines that needed support. There wasn't believed to be certain serfs to air missile threats in the AOH in that area of operations at the time, and the gunship stayed in daylight to help out some marines that needed close air support lo and behold shoulder launched serfs to airmen, you know, missile manpad Man portable air defense system gets launched up at them and it takes out Spirit zero three and kills the crew. So that is, you know, it's one of those things like when you go through gunship training, when you go through any of our formal training, it's they have a Spirit zero three award in the formal schoolhouse, you know, for that top student and that sort of thing. So like you know this story. If you fly gunships, so everybody knows, don't fly during day daylight at this point time. So anyway, they're they're literally ordering this off station. Sun's coming up. It is, you know, past that moment of what we call beginning morning nautical twilight, so it's when you can first start to distinct, you know, daylight from from darkness. Type of deal we had. We had shut off a couple of UH commandic control radios because we didn't like what we were hearing from them, and they were kind of muddy, muddying up the airwaves from our perspective, so you know, we didn't like being told to go home. So from a from a cruise standpoint, we had all checked in nose to tail on call at the direction of the pilot, like, hey, we know what's going on here, Uh stay or go? Everybody check in and and it was unanimous from UH from nose to tail that we wanted to stay and not leave those guys behind. Mhm.
Speaker 1: We all.
Speaker 2: Higher headquarters prevailed ended up getting ahold of us. Even though we had shut off that particular com net. They found us on another one and we couldn't hide from them anymore and we had to break contact. So as we were doing that, we facilitated a handoff with a two ship of F fifteen e Strike Eagles. It was twister five to one and five to two. Gave them the lowdown, gave them that last known position of Roberts in that bunker where we had seen the strobe, gave them the last known position of the main Maco element, told them what was going on, told you know, hey, it's hot, don't go back up there. And then in that fog and friction, none of that information makes it to the QRF, the Quick Reaction Force helicopters that are raisor zero one and zero two, with the Ranger elements that are coming in to help build those guys out. They do a seventeen plus hour stand. At this point We've recovered up in Uzbekistan, so I'm not there for the rest of that battle, but it was a significant one and the Rangers saved the day.
Speaker 1: So in Shillings video, because we see like the time after Chapman recovers and then re engages what what uh? And that's one video I believe right, it's not a compilation video, so it's one.
Speaker 2: Video that he has he has narrated. There are splicing of different sensors times during during that, but they're all times synced. So it is as accurate of a depiction as you could get from the totality of footage that existed.
Speaker 1: So you do you recall what the other because because you left as Chapman crawled back into Bunker one and then and then there's still like Chapman like there's hours after that, correct hours where he continues to fight. Do you know what other platforms were involved in that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's a there's a Navy platform that nobody wants to talk about. There's predator that is up there. That's the majority of the other footage. But the when I mentioned the the Roberts footage before, the Navy possesses the footage that showed what Roberts did up there that night, and okay, and they're they're part of why why you don't see it anymore?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so at any point in time, Uh so, so with these predator feeds and these other platforms, are are there people real time watching Chapman continue to fight?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, so there the the theories like if you go back to the book that was written by Malcolm McPherson called Roberts Ridge, he he had you know, access to the people and the studies and the information that was out there at the time. I think that book published in five The theories were there were there were three of them. People thought that that that person still fighting up there was Roberts. Then there was the Air Force's uh, you know side of it, that it was Chapman. And then the competing theory was that it was red on red as an enemy fighting enemy in broad daylight in close quarters, shooting each other in the face, right, that one that one does not hold water. Yeah, and that that continues to be part of the counter narrative that the Navy pushed the whole time so that they didn't have to face the music. That Chapman survived. He was unfortunately left now at the time, in real time, like they didn't know. I believe that they they assumed that he was taken out.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think that was just straight up fog and friction of war and an honest mistake and under the tactical circumstances. Whether the Seals ever want to admit that they left somebody behind, it just is what it is, and that's what happened in this case. Yeah, So like I don't fault anybody for that at all. You know, look back in the you know the cases that I tell you where our mistakes were re assault fires, the fracture side the night before, you know, clarifying, Hey, we saw a strobe in the midst of all that. Like, there's so many things that could be hot washed and debriefed and everybody could learn and be better and be stronger the next day for it, if people would have the integrity to just own your mistake and accept it and make yourself and your organization, your unit bigger, better, faster, stronger tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and there's obviously there there's a reason, or at least a perceived reason why they don't, whether it's internal you know, you know higher going oh you know, you messed up, or it's the public, the public not understanding fog wort. You know, we can look at stuff like Tilman, like we can look at all these things, and people have been in comberos, you know, what should happens. Unfortunately, like there there is the fog war. You know, their mistakes happen all the time. It's horrible. We try to mitigate it, but they happen, and the civilians won't. The civilians often won't get that, they don't understand how those things happen. And also if there's there's you know, punitive stuff going on. But I thought what was really interesting with this is you told us something that we had never heard before, that that this looks like or I don't want to say it, well to me, I'll say, to me, it looks like it was a cover up from the very beginning, because you said that that Deak group actually sent people up to confiscate the video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the very naxt day, the very next day, so you know that period of darkness is three to four March, right, So we're landing in the early daylight hours of four March. The next day, on the fifth, somebody had showed up at Uzbekistan, at Karshi Kanabad and confiscated the tapes.
Speaker 4: Did they even have like the authority to do that, because you guys are in like separate commands.
Speaker 2: That's a good question, you know. So a couple of dudes showed up said handed over. You know, I went there when when that east happened. I know who was I've spoken directly to him. He said it was two guys from Blue that showed up in suits, not in uniform and said you'll hand it over. And it was based on their commander down the barroom. So exactly what authority they cited. But yeah, at that point we fell subordinate to what would have been Task Force Dagger, and then you know, there's a there's a handful of elements. I don't want to mistate anything, but I went I was part of everything from TIF Sword to DAG to support in k Bar and somewhere in there t F eleven showed up. So there's a there's a whole you know, change of like who's running what show.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't It wasn't like somebody coming down from Jaysock, for instance. It was directly from the command itself, from from DEV Group coming which is what makes it particularly odd or regular.
Speaker 2: That's my understanding. Now, I don't know, you know, like I think everybody that is familiar with this knows that General Trebone was the DCG, the Deputy Commanding General at the time that was there forward with them, So I don't know if they cited his name or authority or what, but yeah, they confiscated it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that you know.
Speaker 2: So here's the funny thing, and I'll fast forward a little bit. But those tapes are initially recorded on VHS, they're converted to the digital and stored on a CD ROM and the VHS is get recorded over and you know Rinston repeated, you know, on mission after mission, so they're washed out of the VHS, they're stored on the digital. Well, the analyst had already uploaded that stuff to DoD because of the significance of what had happened. So that stuff had transited via email over a server that was deployed with this we called it the Terror Server. Well, in the end they confiscated the cd ROMs. What they didn't realize is that the packets of information that transited over that Terror server still resided on the Terra server itself. They just happened to be partitioned into two thousand little chunks. So in the end, during the Air Force research they pieced all of that together complainte with all the correct timestamps. I know the individual that did it, Jackie, did a hell of a job on that one, between her and Frank Daily, the analysts that was there at the time and started out as the initial analyst to do the research for John Chapman's Medal of Honor. What would have been the it was like a higher valor review board or something valor decoration board or something that was commissioned by the Air Force Special Operations Command based on guidance from the Secretary of the Air Force.
Speaker 1: Rob Just one quick follow up to that.
Speaker 4: In your career, how many times do you have mi ib's show up and confiscate tapeline?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you ever see anybody from Red or Green or any.
Speaker 4: Or another command, a superior command, a subordinate command, anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the moment we landed, our number two in command for the specters that were deployed, he met us at the aircraft the moment that the crew door opened and said, give me the tapes. Not welcome back, not how you doing, just give me the tapes. So we gave him the tapes. We knew that, you know, something significant had transpired. How we just covered the mission, right. So as that's going on, he's going back into the talk. I don't know what he's doing with the tapes at that point, but they have to get immediately triaged, right, So they had to transmit stuff. They got that piece done before the men in black showed up and confiscated what was believed to be the only copy. So when when that colonel showed up and said give me the tapes, we had deplaned and there were a couple of us from the tach crew who had met up underneath the left wing, and that's where we're having that initial conversation of Chris is like from the TV center, He's like, there was somebody still up there when we left. He's like, we left somebody alive fighting on top of that mountain. He was still up there, So that thought is in our mind. But at the same time, we just landed, were imdiately going into crew rest, and you're going to fly the next day to cover the next group of guys that need your help. So the debrief is somewhat hasty. It's done. They've got the tapes, they'll triage it. We give them what we can from an intelligence standpoint, and then we're onto the next mission. So this thing essentially like when they show up and they say give me the tapes, like that thing is put to rest. It's put to bed until you know. Service secretaries say, hey, what about how come you know? The question was what does it take to win the Medal of Honor? I think is the quote from the article from the Secretary of the Air Force at the time. Because there is a ton of significant valor stories, especially out of the Air Force Special Tactics community, I could think of a handful that should be on a list for consideration for Medal of Honor upgrade. But Chapman's story resonated with those that recalled it. It was the strongest case for evidence for an upgrade. And then with the ability to piece meal all of the two thousand chunks of the original footage back together, then they were able to make the case. And then it only got stronger from there. There's a number of elements of analysis that went into to all of this, from the imagery analysis to the medical forensics, you name it. It goes further.
Speaker 1: So let's let's continue with your chronology, because this does come back what we're talking about right now, the review and everything. You're actually a part of that around twenty fourteen, right, So, but between this point in twenty fourteen, I want to continue with your story. I know we'll we'll back, we'll roll back to this. So from that deployment, which was about roughly a six month deployment, you then go relanguage, right, yeah, and then and then and you get involved with MC twelve project.
Speaker 2: Yes, So between between O two and eleven, I had stayed essentially in that particular mission UH as a direct sport operator for various assoc platforms relanguaged UH, you know, picked up Somali. I I came back to the unit at this point. I'm a I'm an experienced seasoned operator, instructor, evaluator. We end up having a new mission that emerges that we call it a light I SR mission as a light aircraft Intel surveillance reconnaissance. We're doing precision geo location, working with a lot of full motion video. Essentially, we're the find and fix to find in all the bad guys that are out there. So we were we were building this UH, this capability. As a seasoned operator on one side, I was asked to help stand that up. So we had one hundred new airmen that showed up in this flavor over the span of about a year year and a half. Hell I probably personally trained about fifty five of the first one hundred. But we built out this capability to do this new mission set and that led to me getting selected to help. They called it normalizing the MC twelve platform. So MC twelve was berthed out of a contingency need and they were trying to expand this same mission of precision geolocation matched with full motion video sensors to conventional forces beyond just that of a traditional soft customer. And so while that was being done, it was all done as a pickup game. So the capability is literally bought and fielded. Within six months, it rivaled out of the P fifty one Mustang. This thing got all kinds of accolades over the year. How they even competed for the what they call the Collier Trophy. It's a National Aeronautic Association, So think of the mars Lander and Felix Bombgardner, who you know, parachuted from outer space. We were competing against the likes of those platforms for the most significant contribution to aviation, all based on the speed and scope of the Project Liberty. So anyway, when they do that mission, that mission is birth from idea. It's being fielded by the Mississippi Air National Guard, my home state, and then everybody basically goes down to Mississippi, gets trained up on the aircraft, gets qualified, and then goes forward and operates them. You know, whether it's in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever they happen to be poor deployed to at the time. This is the capabilities fielded around nine and so by eleven the Air Force is said, Okay, we're no longer going to make this just a pickup game. We want them to have a traditional you know, host wing that owns that mission. And they decide to make the ninth Reconaissance Wing at Beal Air Force Base out in north of Sacramento, California, the home station for it. So I get I get tasked to go out there, stand up a unit of intelligence operators that we're going to operate the back of it. And yeah, the rest was history. Spent three years with that mission based on prior experiences, you know, kind of hand picked for it, grew a capability with some some awesome young airmen. They really kicked butt. And then after three years of that, I got brought back down to our parent ISR group, you know, an echelon above the squadrons as an op superintendent and then eventually made chief out of there. And that's when I got that's in that fourteen to sixteen time period where I was brought onto the Chapman you know, research project.
Speaker 1: So and I didn't mean to skip so far ahead if we missed anything significant within the rest of your time in and out of the twenty fifth because you know, from two thousand and one to twenty eleven is quite a tour. Do we miss anything significant?
Speaker 2: Well, so, I mean a couple of just quick, I guess, brief highlights. But you mentioned Pat Tillman. I was in Afghanistan and four when that unfolded. I was not airborne in the midst of the firefight that took Pat's life, but the aftermath of his unit going after the guys that ambushed them. I was there for that. That was interesting. I was part of the I was on the ramp. I was in in the hangar when they recited the Ranger Creed got to listen to all of the stanzas and we sat out there and did the honor guide on with our head lamps as we repatriated his body via Humby on to a C seventeen and he was flown back Stateside fast forward. I was on a on a mission in the Horn of Africa. So most people know about the Marisk, the Marisk Alabama. After that, there was the there was a blue water yacht that had been pirated. I was I was overhead that aftermath, and that one was a mess, uh not the way things typically go down. And there's some there's some his some historical you know seal you know information that that coincides with how the Alabama went down and then what happened with the Blue Water Yacht incident, and so the Seals had basically been put on a leash. And so the a hostage piracy recovery type of mission, the way you would typically think it would unfold, did not unfold the way you would have expected. During that Blue Water Yacht deal, they had been handcuffed so bad that essentially they they had coaxed the head pirate off of the boat, brought him on board a naval warship and he was going to you know, negotiate, you know, the the transaction for payment and all that kind of stuff. Well, obviously once we had him in our custody, they weren't going to let him go. And so then you had a bunch of idiots, idiot pirates that are left and they all flip out and in broad daylight, the assault takes place. Everybody dies. It was it was horrible, but I was I was overhead that one. That that one just sucked. But if you if you think about the storylines that go along with with some of the the narratives that get spun out of some of the Seal war stories. I'm not saying the entire community is tainted, but when we look at the Chapman incident and how all of that stuff unfolded, you look back, who has the high ground here and that is the Air Force, Okay, because when it comes to seals and stories, you know, off the battlefield. Dude, we could sit here and have a three hour episode going through just stuff over the last twenty years. Yeah, Like I remember going through a Joint Special Operations Senior Listed Academy. Votel was the commander at SOCOM at the time, and one of the biggest things that we were hitting. This is in the late fifteen time period, and we were still hitting on that incident where they had fragged the hostage with the grenade and they had lied about using grenades on the objective, and everything was about the integrity and why it was important to own your mistakes and to fess up and so forth. And we're coming out of all of that and it's like nobody he ever learns anything. All they do is just create another false narrative, pinna metal on somebody and move on and just can continue this legend. It's I find it distasteful. I don't think it does them any real honor. I would love to respect the Trident, but right now there's a handful that just tarnished the shit out of it for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Now we're when you said they were handcuffed on the Blue Water yayte. What was that because of actions that they took on the Marask or was it?
Speaker 2: That's my understanding now, Like I I wasn't directly involved in the in the Marisk Alabama piece, but it was my understanding that those guys went off a little half cocked and how they executed that one. They were successful, you know, like they did it and you know there's great story that comes out of it. There's another interesting one that Matt Cole tells about in his book and Code over Country. But anyway, that was it was dubbed a success from a leadership standpoint in internal to like Socom channels, I don't think that everybody was in agreement and how that mission unfolded, and so when the Blue Water Yacht piece happened, they were literally handcuffed. So like, nothing about that unfolded the way you would have imagined the recovery of a pirated vessel. Yeah, like when when do we move on that?
Speaker 1: And broadly right right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, I mean nothing about it made sense. And I was I was there from the moment that the that the naval warships you know, initiated what they would have called the stalk, and so they were just over the horizon and then you know that vessel is going back and further and further towards Somali waters, and then you're up against the timeline of trying to, you know, figure out how you're going to deal with this situation before they get into waters that technically we shouldn't have entered under the circumstances. I don't think it would have mattered, you know, whose flag of waters they were in. We were going to get it one way or the other. But none, none of that ever unfolded the way you would have imagined, you know, without getting into specific TTPs, it just none of it made sense. Yeah, and then in the end it ends up being broad daylight. Everybody dies, So that is obviously not a success.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When you say everybody dies. You're talking about the pirates and the hostages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pirates. The pirates executed the hostages, and it's pretty obvious that when the assaulters got on board, Yeah, nobody else lived.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you this brings us to twenty fourteen, where you are at the three sixty first Yep, and the and I believe wasn't it an article for the Secretary of the Air Force for some reason. I believe it was an article about about airmen, about the Air Force not having won a, you know, a Medal of Honor since Vietnam and only one was word then, and it's sort of like, what does it take for an airman to win the Medal of Honor? And the Secretary Air Force like, that's a good question, and can we review axe valor that our airmen and airwomen have performed, you know, during the g WATT and see if there's anything that would qualify. Yep.
Speaker 2: That's the way I recall it. The it picked up steam based on an Air Force Times article, and I think that headline was what does it take to win the Medal of Honor? Right, and and it was based on a number of like Air Force crosses and things like that that had specifically come out of the special tactics community. That anyway, the service secretaries across all the services ordered a review of top valor awards to make sure that we hadn't left a stone unturned, if you will. So when the Air Force did their initial look, they had a shortlist, but at the top of their short list was that of John Chapman and the story of Roberts Ridge. So it worked in the Air Force's favor that, you know, they still had that Terra server thanks to Frank Daily. The funny story he told me was the young analyst that was with him was like, hey, those guys came and confiscated the videos. I just found all these clips on the Terra server. Do you want me to go ahead and delete those? He's like, no, no, do not save that. And so if it hadn't been for Frank, that stuff could have been lost and never recovered. But I in the midst of all of this, once we really picked up steam and we had already briefed a Mako element. This is like September of sixteen, But between then and eighteen, when the when the final you know, like valor boards are being done at a four star level and so forth. Before it goes to the sect death. All of a sudden, an unmarked envelope shows up, and inside the double wrapped package are the original classified, handwritten marked CDs in Frank Daly's handwriting, because he's the one who had had marked those original CDs from the original deployment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: Wherever that stuff came from, I don't know if it if it came from from DAMNAK or if it came from a treasure trove down in Tampa out of SOACOM. I don't know. It was not marked like when you send something classified, their's specific rules and ways that you package stuff. But there was no way to tell exactly what the source of this was. But somebody wanted to make sure that we got all of it, and they sent it to us, and finally we had everything to include the original gunship footage that showed our conversation on board and the second strobe and him getting in. And then oh, by the way, now you had all the rest of the predator footage and all of the rest of those clips that have been pieced together. So it made for an air tight case, especially with all of the imagery analysis that went into it. There's a guy I don't talk about him because he's still working certain mission. But when they went in they did the imagery analysis on this. They mapped this thing down to the to the nats ass like you could, you know, basically, put a pin drop anywhere on that mountain. You could put me in a laying, prone, kneeling, standing, tall, crouch, whatever, and you could look around and give me three hundred and sixty what my specific field of view was from that point on the mountain. And they did that over the entire area. And that's how we knew that there were inconsistencies in some of the seals narrative on Hey, I looked and saw the rise and fall of a laser. I could see him. I verified, I crawled right over the top of him.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, none of that was true. You know, there wasn't a laser illuminated that. For that laser, it was a momentary switch. It would have meant that John would have had to have fallen incapacitated and something had direct pressure on the switch, right, and then we would have seen that with our sensors because I can see when their lasers are active on their rifles. You use those as marketing devices at times, and then you know they let you know, like where they're pointing towards, so enemy on the far side. Anyway, none of the stuff matched Air Forces research is airtight. The crazy part was the Navy leadership. You know, I'm kind of getting off script, you know, as far as time and order of all of this. But lo and behold, we briefed make the surviving members of Maco three zero and what would have been DEV Group's commander at the time, Captain Jeremy Williams. We briefed them in a DC facility in September of sixteen, and they had their intel guy, Commander Heartwell. I always get the dude's name mixed up, but they had their intel guy in the room as we're briefing all of them our findings. And I say this because later on Heartwell is the one who shows up at all the valor boards with this other version of events. And this is the Navy's version of events, not like what all the research actually showed. And so they constantly say that John died within the first three minutes, and they still stick to that story today. So there's a full of people working on their own documentary all funded by Seal money whatever it is, They still stick to that slabs at current accounts still says that John died right beside me and the initial assault. Well, no, he didn't, you know one, because you were never right beside him anyway, you know. But nevertheless, John was the one who went and did all that stuff. And then by the time he's killed, it's after the element has broken contact. John is still up and up around Bunker one and the QRF is inbound, and he knows that if he doesn't put down suppressive fire after being up there for an hour and twenty minutes by himself, if he doesn't do that, then the helicopter is going to suffer the same fate that they did when they came in.
Speaker 1: So at that point in twenty fourteen, when you first get kind of picked for this, were you aware of the extended fight that happened while you guys were grounded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're talking about you're talking about the extended fight on top of the mountain.
Speaker 1: That John when he recovers and continues to fight. Were you aware of any of that between like your involvement with that operation and twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: I knew that Between between the time of the event and me being brought onto to the research team, I knew that there were three variations of the story. We knew that there was somebody that continued to fight up there after the Mako element had broken contact and before the QRF arrived. That was Captain Self and his rangers, right. I knew that that the competing theories were Roberts and then Chapman, and then red On Red. I didn't believe the like we knew after the fact that the predator could confirm based on the sawing motion that they could see that they called. They would have told you right then and there. If we had been in direct comms with them, they would have told us right then and there that that Roberts had been killed already, we didn't know for sure. We weren't in comms with them. So there were people out there that knew that Roberts had been killed at that point, that he moved his body and propped him up by the by the boulder there.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That only leaves Chappie and the and the red On Red theory, and the fact that the fighting is literally close proximity. I mean, like we're talking, we're talking you know, inside of twenty meters in broad daylight for guys that had had occupied that mountain for months, you don't shoot each other in the face in broad daylight. There's no red on red at that distance. I'm sorry, like that, that absolutely does not hold water. Right, And there's a funny story when all this stuff came to be the final brief to Secretary of Defense Mattis that he asked, what the view that, what's the prevailing view of others, what's the leading competing theory. They explained that, and Mattis is like, yeah, I don't buy.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, especially because there was actually hand to hand at that point too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can. You can see that in the footage, like they're literally hand to hand, and Shappy prevails in that engagement as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, he was so when we say that he was incapacitated, the medical forensics showed that that was a mortal wound with without attention, he would have died from that wound. Right. Well, he's still He's still, Mike. This is Rob's theory. But I think a one oh five going off right next to your position is one hell of an alarm clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if you're a seasoned, you know, combat controller, the first thing you're going to do is illuminate a strove and find cover.
Speaker 1: And that happened.
Speaker 2: That's what happened. That's what made sense. Like it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put all this stuff together. But oh, by the way, we had so many different layers of evidence that that prove, Like there's no question about John his actions or the status of his medal, Like he earned his stuff.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If there's ever any question, it's why didn't they present too? Instead? The Air Force literally chose to combine the elements and make it one air tight case. Right, But but you could you could split those and you could you could provide a basis for two medals of honor for John Chapman.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so you know, out of curiosity because you said there was a shortlist of error airmen who who probably qualified. Do you think that the air forces that the Air Force suffers from the fact that they are their attachments and so often do not get the recognition they deserve.
Speaker 2: From firsthand experience. So I'm not a special tactics hereman, right, But I'm a I'm a special intelligence capability that exists within Air Force Special Operations. So my parent command is not Air Force Special Operations Command. So when when our guys go out and they operate, you got different chains of command. So I've got my administrative chain. We're all, you know, chopped to the same people operationally to execute our missions. But when it comes time to decorate everybody, there's there's different ways that that can happen. The operational authority can do that from theater and submit and cover everybody, or if it doesn't happen in time, then it comes to light later. Now you're you're geographically separated, you're with your administrative chain of command versus the operational one that you were attached to. And yeah, I think that absolutely plays a part in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to be frustrating. So so you see this through through twenty fourteen, twenty sixteen, you guys put it all together, the awards go up. I if you weren't directly involved in the politics behind, like how the decisions were made, then I don't want to get involved in that. But like, at what point do you kind of hand this off and you're done with it.
Speaker 2: So the last significant piece for me, it's if you think about the joint soft community. You know, with the point that you had just made, you know, the Air Force is often attached, right, like very seldom are we like the primary unit that is executing a mission, unless it's like an airborne platform. You know, that's just typically not us. Our specialties are there to exist other soft teams and elements. Right. So when we're going through the the information process, the boarding process, that initial brief in September of sixteen, I'm talking with what would have been the twenty fourth sole commander, so he owned those respective special tactics airmen. And as we go in, you know, you've got the medical professional, You've got the imagery and analyst. You've got Jay Hill, who was on an adjacent mountain who heard Chappie come up on the radio ass three zero. Charlie knew him, personally, recognizes radio etiquette, recognize his voice, tried to talk to him but never had positive two A coms. But he heard Chappy and it was after the gunship had departed, but before the QRF had showed up. So between that and me are articulating the eyewitness testimony from our video that's literally playing showing Chappie's strobe illuminate and crawl into the bunker and recounting the audio that is showing Chris explaining to the folk, O, hey, I've got a second strobe. This doesn't look like the others and then they hear the rest of that mortar come in, like, you can't refute.
Speaker 1: That, right.
Speaker 2: So, as in the spirit of having to play nice with others in the joint soft community, the Special Tactics community just said, hey, here are the facts, and we're gonna let the experts and the witnesses speak to these to these points, so you know, if there's a preparation, you know, going into it, it's like, hey, Rob, don't hold back, Like when you get up there, I want you to tell your side of the story and just don't back down. Yeah, And I'm like, yeah, you know, you don't have to tell me that, Colonel, Like I got you. I knew exactly what was going on in the situation that we were walking into because you knew that there was pushback already. And literally in that meeting, that's the moment where Slab changed his story because he went from the rise and fall of a laser on the chest, so literally it was. You remember the baseball drug scenario where Rafael Paul Merrow says I did not use performance in Andy, I did not use steroids Before Congress, Slab has a moment like that and says, I crawled right over the top of Jump right, And we're literally showing in the video that has all of the breadcrumb data showing like we've gone back and established the order in which they exited. We have signed an IR signature to each individual, and we can follow them chain of custody greater than ninety percent chance of accuracy based on the totality of all that information, And we can literally see the area where Slab says I crawled right over him, like, no, you didn't. You crawled over You crawled over Roberts right. And you guys still say that y'all never saw Roberts right. You were right on top of Roberts at the boulder.
Speaker 1: At the boulder, he would have had to crawl over Chappie up near the bunker.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, And at the point, like you can follow their egress, the only time that he would have had eyes on Chappie being incapacitated was when they were both engaged in bunker two, and Slab would have been to the to the left of the tree, up against the boulder boulders on his left facing up towards bunker two, and Chappie's on the right of that tree. But we also dropped breadcrumbs there and showed Slab his what his field of view would have been, like we could literally spin him around, like the entire area was scanned to include under the tree, like you could see, this is what the canopy was, this is where your terrain was, this is what you could see. And if if Chappie had fallen and he was laying out prone the way you described, you literally can't see him from where you said he could right right, And so anyway, his story changed in that briefing at that moment said he crawled right over the top of Chappie. The only person he crawled over the top of was petty Officer Roberts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah. It's weird because you know, there have been a number of attempts to uh, you know, like after after some of this came out, then then the I think there was an argument that well, you know, Chappie was out of his lane. He was there to provide you know to bride to be the CCT. He shouldn't have been assaulting, like, you know, there have been so many attempts.
Speaker 4: To sort of like, Yeah, there was also the theory right that he saw Roberts and thought that was Chapman, right, fog of war. I don't know what the truth is there, but sure maybe, yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think a boat team would ever misidentify one of their original sixth or the seventh combat controller that was that was augmenting Like, I don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's part of your two and a half years at the three sixty first and then then you go to the R to work with the RC third one thirty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I I ended up in my unit of assignment. I got voted off the island as I had promoted. You know, there were you know, limited number of positions, they were already filled. I drew the straw to go out to what turned out to be the the best assignment of my career. I love the mission that we were just talking about, but as far as best Overhall assignment for me and my family, h going out to Okinawa and being the senior enlisted leader for the three ninetieth Intelligence Squadron. That was freaking cool. And the reason is is that that's the birthplace of Airborne I s R. From a modern standpoint. Now, I got a former commander who's a historian bona fide, he's a professor. He would tell you that the birthplace of Airborne I s R Started in the European theater. There's he's he's absolutely true. I'm not going to argue with him. But as far as the Air Force specific units that we support with the RC one thirty five, there's a mission that used to be the Combat Apple. That's what they came and grew into the RC one thirty five that we know today. And it was stood up by a gentleman by the name of Doyle Larson. Most of the folks in the in the ISR community like know who this is from an Air Force perspective. Our buildings named after him. I got to go out there, was there during that unit's fiftieth anniversary. I know that doesn't seem like much. We just celebrated the Army as two hundred and fiftieth, but hey, you know, give us a break. The Air Force is still young. But our squadron had turned fifty. Out there, I got a chance to be part of that unit while we were doing what we call the pivot to the Pacific, so iron was flowing from the Central you know, theaters over the Middle East away from Central Command back or to what is now Indo pe com Our unit. They covered everything from the summit in Singapore, you know where Trump met with the leader in North Korea, to the Olympics and then help we uh, we would help take care of the South China Sea, you know, with the Chinese like to to expand their their their maritime claims a little bit further than what it is internationally recognized.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. Uh. And then from there you became the i G Superintendent for the sixteenth Air Force. Yes, and can you tell us about that? So now you're like a big boss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, kind of kind of, I guess always the number two, you know, so I as a senior enlisted leader, you know, we're advising the those commanders. If you if you look back at some of my some of my past experiences, you know from a just from the service, it was nice, a nice kind of twilight assignment there as the IG superintendent because your your whole goal is to speak truth to power, hold people accountable, you know, take care of airmen that are out executing mission and so on. So that was a pretty sweet moment to be able to do that at the end. And then you know, to have had this is around the time period, you know, some eighteen is when August of eighteen is when Chapman has awarded his Medal of Honor. I got a chance to attend that at the White House as a as a guest and member of the research team. Then I had reassigned there at the end of eighteen to sixteenth Air Force, so I was you know, home was and Antonio and then yeah, towards the end of the IG tour, you know, you do your best to you know, speak up for airman, hold people accountable when when necessary, and just make sure that mission has executed the way it should be.
Speaker 1: Was there, you know, was there any heartache on the part of like the research team. Obviously there are stories about the back the backroom deals that had to be made with the Navy in terms of you know, those are stories, but what we do know is that Slevinsky was awarded a Medal of Honor and he was awarded the Medal of Honor, not at the same time as Chapman. They made sure that his was awarded like prior to.
Speaker 2: So. Yeah, So back up to September of sixteen, I told you we brief We briefed the surviving members, Captain Jeremy Williams, and Mako. So all the surviving members and Maker through zero either present in the room, three of them in the room and one on a telecon and it's us presenting information to them, and then the only other extra person in the room is Commander Hartwell. At the end of that meeting, we're getting ready to shuffle out the door and Jeremy Williams is sitting right next to He's standing next to Slab close to the exit. He just looks over at Slily's like, huh, maybe we should look at upgrading yours. This is September of sixteen. By December of sixteen, Secretary of the Navy Ray Mavis makes a trip out to dam Neck. Britt Slavinski in his own words in an interview, I've got clips. Hopefully I'll get this to D and y'all can get these uploaded. But Britt describes the first time that he was informed that he was going to be receiving the Medal of Honor, and that's when the second MAV shows up in September or December of sixteen and makes the announcement to their home unit at Damn Neck and BRIT's not even like he's out of the service at this point. He was brought back as a guest under the rules of somebody else's award. And then oh, by the way, the secon NAB makes that announcement, so you don't go from September of sixteen, Captain Jeremy Williams saying maybe we should look it upgrading yours to sect navs showing up within ninety days, right, Like, medals of honor do not happen that fast, especially ones that are from events that are you know, what would that have been sixteen? Go back to two that would have been fourteen years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not as if new information came out, favorite Slavinski, Were you an intel guy?
Speaker 2: I mean that as a compliment, yeah, yeah, yeah, no no, so yeah, no, there's no new information for slab, so like everybody knew, all right, So back up to the the original decorations that were handed out for Britt Slovinski and John Chapman where their respective Service crosses. Slav was awarded the Navy Cross, Chappe was awarded the Air Force Cross. And that was for them being credited to storming and eliminating Bunker one, saving the team. Right, we'll go back and look at the footage. Tell me who eliminated Bunker one?
Speaker 1: Right, right?
Speaker 2: And wasn't Britt Slevinski? Was he present? Was he? Was he part of all of this? As of freaking lutely, I won't take anything from the dude, except for when you want to go down the road of stolen valor and Navy false narratives. Right, that's that's crap. And then now you're tarnishing the legacy of John Chapman. Now it's cemented in the history books, right, Chappy has his Medal of Honor, and it is what it is. But then fast forward to after all of this and the you know, the museum, and then they just take a big dump all over the guy again.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's the Navy Seal Museum sponsored by the Medal of Honor, tadda, you know. So, yeah, and then for you you wrap up at Joint Force Joint Forest Headquarters cyber right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this we were downsizing the Inspector General Team. I still had a little bit of time left before I was before I was actually retiring, and so from my last twelve months I served as a senior enlisted leader for for a cyber element that was was there in Texas. There's a number of them on the Joint Force Headquarters side. They aligned to US cybercom UH and then they execute various various mission based on their geographic alignment, depending on who's who's in the lead. Like the Army runs one, the Navy runs one, the Air Force runs one.
Speaker 1: Fantastic and so what about now, like, what are you doing post Air Force career?
Speaker 2: So I retired from active duty. I didn't I didn't go too far from the herd. You know we I think we kind of like to stay with our tribe. I got. I got a wife who's who's not very risk averse. My goal was to to not be a government mule. I wanted to move as far away from from the actual service. I wanted to go hit industry and you know, see where I could make my mark as a civilian. Truly, she was like no, no, no, no, no, that that's cutthroat. I'm like, yeah, that's fine with me.
Speaker 1: I'm going to survive.
Speaker 2: But but anyway, it becomes a family decision at that point, so I stayed close by. I'm still working in the intelligence community as a as a government civilian. Now, I did a transition moment as a as a contractor, as as many people you know do after their active duty career, and so I work on strategic plans for an intel directorate, for a training command in the Air Force, and life is good, man. I'm I'm surrounded by good people, have a good culture, a good team. The mission near as sexy is what it used to be, sure, But but you're around good people, so that I can deal with.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Did we leave anything out? Do we working people? Are you on social media or anything like that? Where can people find you if they look for you?
Speaker 2: So I'm not a I'm not a super super public guy. Uh yeah, I've got a persona out there. But but there's also a handful of folks that aren't necessarily my biggest fans that that are busy pushing what I call the seal false narratives. So I don't get I don't get too far into that. Where where you will find me is uh with individuals like y'all that that have the ability to use your platform for for those of us interested in speaking truth to power, And for that I say thank you for the bottom of my heart. What uh. I'm sure many people have have mentioned this to you on the side, but I'd like to say it here. The initial the initial damn it. I just I just had a senior moment when we what the hell do you call that thing that people sign like an AFFI, David, the one the one that you started, Dave.
Speaker 1: The petitions, the petition.
Speaker 2: Petition, Yeah, yeah, damn okay, So the petition that you signed like that kickstarted a lot. It wasn't until between that and Laurie's Laurie's actual post as to what was going on at the Medal of Honor Museum. That's what smoked me out on this, you know. Like, so I didn't like, I thought this was all water under the bridge. Slab got his metal, Chapman got his, and I thought we had all moved on. I didn't realize that Slab had landed like keyboard positions and that he was involved such in such a high manner with the Medal of Honor Museum, not to mention the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. And then then I start looking based off of what Laurie's post was, and I was like, son of a gun, I could I was. I could not believe that they were literally going out there and sticking to the false narrative that they used to try to subvert Chapman's metal upgrade to begin with.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the point where it's like, all right, well, I'm not naive. I understand where people have power and people have connection and so forth, and if they're not going to be held accountable, all right, that's on somebody else. But I'll tell you this, they won't get away with it, so I will do my best to make sure that the truth is known and understood. Chapman is a bona fide friggin' hero that is an amazing one, and I can't wait until that story becomes more broadly understood. You know, there are efforts underway to do all of that, but you just like you have to take with a grain of salt. And I hate to say this because it then tarnishes the rest of the good seals that are out there. But if you hear a story about Seals and heroics, you might want to consider that like a barroom legend, you know, you know those stories where you just have to have ten percent truth and then it makes for a great story. There's too many of those that are out there, especially of late and all of that stuff ties right back to the specific personality that was Tim Zamanski And then you can follow the lineage down with key leaders. Wyman Howard is one of them. He's the guy that they called Hatchetman, documented in Matt Cole's book. You know, I don't have to go any further, but how he connects to the Chapman Medal of Honor upgrade. When the Seals went down the road of their false narrative, they went and recreated their own videos. Well, guess where Wyman Howard was assigned while that was going on. He was the DOO of the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. So if you want to recreate footage, if you want to recreate anything like the same people that mapped that mountaintop and did everything that I was telling you that we could do. He was the DOO, a general officer at that premier agency. All while this was going on with the Medal of Honor upgrade and the board and the seal false narrative and the subversion efforts.
Speaker 4: Is that interesting guy? You know, I've had like people tell me in the past that like he was totally different than like the General mccrystals and the Scottie Millers, you know, the like calm, cool, collected kind of personality that Wineman was like he would like seethe, Like there's like anger vibrating off of this dude.
Speaker 2: So my experience when I met him in person, like I didn't meet him face to face, but that same deployment, it's the twenty eleven time period when the Bluewater yacht deal goes down. He comes and pays us a visit based on you know, at the time he's the dev group commander and they were in charge of that particular AO. He comes in and gives us a who yah speech and a hangar. Well, he showed up on one of the one of the slick jets. They step off and what we all call the smooths. You know, he's got his suit on but but open collar, no tie. He strutted into that damn hangar. You would have thought it was Tom Brady like just swagger and I don't like not a I don't think that he just exuded arrogance. I'm not saying that, but just like you were looking at a dude that you knew was a significant individual and he just had that executive presence about him, that that was what my personal experience, you know, being at least in the same hangar within you know, throwing distance of of the guy. But but it wasn't until I, like I knew, I know folks that work with him directly. Yeah, I've heard good stories, I've read bad.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's for me to judge. But what I would do is I will I will leave you with the connective tissue that when they created their false narrative against John Chapman, surviving that initial mortal wound, Wyman Howard was the GEO, the director of Operations at the National GEO Special Intelligence Agency. At that same time, Jeremy Williams had cleaned up to the DEV Group position. So he's the CEO at DEV Group and the Commander of Naval Special Warfare is Tim Zemanski. So how do you go from slab medal of honor from September of sixteen to SECT now making the announcement in December of sixteen, because Zemansky was sitting on that and had it ready ready to go with no new information, nothing to expand beyond the basis of his Navy cross unless we add in that, Hey, I rescued the aircrew. Hey, I was in combat for fourteen hours. Well, like, dude, they were in combat for like ten minutes and they broke contact and they were they weren't engaged, you know, like after they broke contact. Now did he have wounded? Like? Was there a huge pray initially absolutely won't take anything away from it, but look at the basis of his of his medal of Honor, and I can poke holes in it left and right.
Speaker 1: Well be he They basically took a lot of what was on Chapman's and just transferred it over basically a cop and copy and paste.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so there's a there's a nugget of information on that one. And I'll speak cryptically about this, but when I say that Jeremy Williams is a CD character, Like he's a CD character, This dude is a He's a general officer right now competing for a potential three star position. If this man goes into a three star position as a seal Naval special warfare officer, that means that he's going to be commanding in a joint environment. All right, How does a guy go into a three star joint command his position, whether it's command or a senior staff position that's at a three star level. How do you do that in a joint environment knowing full well that you subverted an Air Force teammates medal of honor upgrade based on a bullshit false narrative. And so, to take this further, the cryptic message is when I say that the Navy had every bit of the Air Force information, it wasn't just because the Air Force was willing to share it with them. All right, there was a moment when Jeremy Williams deliberately took the information right and I just I'll leave it at that. But there are specific people that know exactly what happened, and that man continues to go unanswered because he was in some significant places also in twenty eleven. So he's got a permanent get out of jail free card for some of his own command and his team's you know actions, it's bullshit. People need to hold these guys accountable and and yeah, I'm not in a position to change it, but I am in a position to speak out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, thanks so much for coming on and sharing this first hand. Yeah, do we got questions to be one moment.
Speaker 6: I appreciate the respect and uh and description regarding your teammate from Boston. Can you share a story regarding this Beantown badass Thanks for the show, guys.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the Ob himself.
Speaker 1: That's from Matt Matt Gavin.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, yeah, from Ob being badass man. I I never had to see him fight, but I would tell you that the Boston accent was enough to make anybody think twice.
Speaker 1: One more from Corbin.
Speaker 6: Over the course of your career, would you say technology has helped to increase the effectiveness of communication between the task asset in the stack and the eyes on the ground tasking set asset or is it just mixed a mixed bag dependent on the people involved in the event.
Speaker 2: Yes, on all phases, so inherently, I'm I'm a you know, I'm a positive thinker. I'd like to say yes, it improves, but you got to take all that with a grain of salt. There's a the Malani report regarding Robert's ridge in the battle at Tucker Gar talks about the the advent of technology and how that at times was believed to be the same as having true situational awareness for what was going on in the battlefield. And I think anybody that's been there knows that that will never replace boots on ground. If you listen to if you've read any of Blabor's books, that's one of the consistent themes that he espouses in his book The Mission to Men and Me. He always gives credence to the men on the ground. He always his lesson is listened to the boots on the ground. So I think there's elements where the technology will never completely and totally replace that level of situational awareness, but absolutely it enhances as long as it's not abused or misused.
Speaker 1: Hey, Rob, thank you so much. We really, we deeply appreciate it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: As I appreciate shall haveing me. Thanks for the opportunity. Uh, most people want to hear the rest of the story on the on the Chapman piece. Thanks for giving me a chance to tell a little bit of what I would say is otherwise insignificant. You know, if if I had to to surmize, like the key event in my overall career, it's literally having an impact on Chapman's metal upgrade and being there and what's actually carried forward to now. But but otherwise, I'm just a small cog and a wheel. But happen to be able to speak truth to power when it counted for that matter, and uh, you know, damn a seal false narrative. You want to tell lies in front of general officers, I'm gonna call you out, Commander Heartwell.
Speaker 1: And for a bonus for our patron viewers, we are trying to get access to your g drive where you have basically documented clip wise slabs changing story over over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will work with d to get that drive at least over to you guys. You'll have like read only. But however, however, you can technically make that available to your patreon folks. Dude, this is all public stuff and if nothing else, you can look at the file names and just google the stuff yourself. It's out there on YouTube like it's nothing that came from my own private collection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic, Thanks again, Rob, Thank you for.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Guys. Thank y'all. I appreciate you having me all Rightyboddy, thank you. I have I got one thing my wife put in my ear. We were talking about the petition before, so you kicked off a huge interest in what was going on at the Medal of Honor Museum. At the same time, Matt Koubler started a petition that ties back to Representative Paulina Luna out of Tampa, Florida. There was confusion amongst the audiences out there, and so what I would what I wanted to relay was a thank you for what you did with your original petition, but if there's any way that you can spark interest towards the one that's tied towards Paulina Luna and having Congress take a look at this event itself.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely appreciate it, absolutely well. In fact, i'll link It'll be in the link below. We'll put it in links below and I will also through the through my petition send out a link to Math's petition.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Thank you guys again, it's a pleasure to being here.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Thanks. Hey, guys, it's Jack.
Speaker 4: I just want to talk to you for a moment about how you can support the show. If you've been watching it, enjoying it, but you'd like to get a little bit more involved and help us continue to do this, you can check out our Patreon. It is patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse, and for five dollars a month, you can get access to all of these episodes of The Teamhouse ad free. The same goes with our affiliated podcast eyes On with Andy Milburn, Jason Lyons mcmulroy that one you will also get all of those episodes add free. And you support the channel and the show, and we really appreciate it. The Patreon members are literally what has helped this company, this small business survive, especially during our early years, and you are what continues to help this thing going even as we navigate the turbulent world of YouTube advertising.
Speaker 1: So we really appreciate all of you guys.
Speaker 4: There's going to be a link down in the description to that Patreon page, and there is also going to be a link to our new merch shop, so if you guys want to go and get some Teamhouse merchandise, we got stickers and we also have patches mentioned if you sign up for Patreon at ten dollars a month, we will nail you this patch as well, so we really appreciate that. But they're also for sale on the merch Shop and additionally, they got t shirts up there, water bottles, a tote bag, coffee mugs, all that good stuff, So please go and check them out and support the show.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate it, guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you,