Speaker 1: Hey, shit, dad, Mom, come on your story.
Speaker 2: Hours on presenting your story, hour building for a better tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Hello, boys and girls.
Speaker 4: This is Uncle Dan and I'm Aunt Carol.
Speaker 5: Welcome everyone, kids, moms, dads, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins. Ah, yes, cousins and friends too. We are glad you could all join us.
Speaker 3: If you've ever loved an animal, you really like today's story.
Speaker 5: Well, Uncle Dan, I think just about everyone has had a special pet in their lives, So let's get started right away. We call this story the Bluest Ribbon.
Speaker 6: This one happened on Milkmore Farm, one of the largest dairy farms on all of the Eastern Sea Coast. There were nearly three hundred black and white Holstein cows on Milkmore Farm, and it took many workers to run the farm. One of the workers was mister Nelson, father of Whit and Corky. The Nelson family lived right on the farm, and many times father would let Corky and Whit help him with the milking. In this way, the boys got so they knew all the cows by name.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dad, may I help with the milking tonight?
Speaker 4: You'll have to ask mister Hank.
Speaker 6: He's the boss. Mister Hank was the herd manager from mister Lindley, the owner who lived in the city. Mister Hank was a nice man and usually let Corky and Wit help do the milking. Once in a while, he'd even send them on errands.
Speaker 7: Hey, whit, you and Corky can go into the field after one of the cows. Lady Queen. For some reason, she didn't come up with the other cows.
Speaker 4: Sure, mister Hank, Lady Queen's a good cow. We'll go get her. Come on, Corky, matter, get a hustle on. It's getting late.
Speaker 1: Well, hurry, say Wit, which cows? Lady Queen?
Speaker 4: She's that good cow, the one that won those ribbons of the fair. She's got two blue ribbons? What mean that means Lady Queen got first prize twice?
Speaker 1: Why didn't she come up with the other cows?
Speaker 4: I don't know where?
Speaker 1: Do you reckon?
Speaker 4: She is down in the woods, somewhere near Catfish Creek.
Speaker 1: I suppose what would Lady Queen be doing way down.
Speaker 4: There, nice lonely place for her to hide a calf?
Speaker 1: She got a calf?
Speaker 4: I reckon she has by now? That's probably why she didn't come up with the other cows. I hope it's a heifer. Everybody gets tick all over a girl calf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody cares much about a bull calf.
Speaker 4: Why heifers make milk cows when they grow up and bull calves. Don't hurry up, corky, it's getting late and we've got a long ways to go.
Speaker 1: Wait for me, would It's.
Speaker 4: Just like a jungle in here. Can't hardly push through those brambles.
Speaker 1: Do you see her yet? Do you see Lady Queen yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: But I've got a glimpse of something white. It might be a cow. I can't be sure. There there, I see it again, so do I? Yeah, that's Lady Queen, all right. She looks a little peeved like she don't want us around when the calf hit around. It's hard to tell what she might do.
Speaker 1: Why does she keep stamping around in front of that briar patch.
Speaker 4: That's where she's got her calf hit? I spect you wait here, I'm going in there. Hold on, now, lady's going to hurt your calf. Oh well, look at here? Oh isn't she cute? Hey, Hey, kirky, it's a halfer calf. Come see it.
Speaker 1: Well, Lady Queen sheep, we're ahead of me.
Speaker 7: I'll take you in.
Speaker 4: I guess Lady Queen's more used to me or something. Anyway, she's not gonna hurt either one of us.
Speaker 1: She shears a cute little calf. There's a white place on her head that looks exactly like a seven little white spot on her nose too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and her legs are white. She looks like she's got socks on.
Speaker 1: Feel of her feels like she's got a coat made of velvet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lady Queen's got herself a little princess.
Speaker 8: Say that's a good name for a little princess. Yeah, a little princess. Yeah, Yeah, we're gonna call you little Princess. Come on now, little princess, you've gotta get you up to the barn. Help me, Corky, I gotta pick her up.
Speaker 4: Wow, she's heavy on, come on, lift harder.
Speaker 1: We're gonna carry her all the way to the barn.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 4: As soon as we get her out of the brush, we'll put her down and see if she can walk.
Speaker 6: Little princess could walk, but she made it only half way to the barn. Lady Queen coaxed her cab, but she couldn't move another step. She just laid down and wouldn't move. By this time it was getting dark. Wit was getting worried.
Speaker 4: From here, it looks like the lights in the barn are all out.
Speaker 1: They probably got the chores all one.
Speaker 4: You go to the house, Kirky, and tell mister Hank that Lady Queen's got a calf and we got it as far home as we can. I'll stay here and take care of her.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll be back as still as I can get.
Speaker 10: Mister Hank, come in. Oh, it's you, Corky. You'll find Lady Queen yep.
Speaker 1: And she's got herself a calf. We can't bring her all the way.
Speaker 7: In though, mister Hank, I cannot walk.
Speaker 1: It got tired.
Speaker 7: I guess, well, why don't you haul at the rest of the way in a wheelbarrow. I got a good TV program on.
Speaker 3: I don't want to leave.
Speaker 1: Well, it's overall be out, okay, mister Hank.
Speaker 6: After Corky and Whit got little Princess into the barn, they fixed her up in a nice clean stall. Then they stayed around for a while, talking to the calf and rubbing her soft velvet hair. Almost at once, Corky and Wit loved that brand new ca Now.
Speaker 4: I know we shouldn't love little Princess so much, Corky, for she's not ours, but somehow it just seems as if she is ours anyway, I can't help but love her.
Speaker 6: Almost every night after school, Corky and Wit would jump into their jeans in a hurry and run out to the barn to see how little Princess was doing. She grew just fine at first until mister Hank took her away from her mother. On the third day. They started feeding her milk from a pail like they did all the calves, and for some reason it just didn't agree with her. She began getting sick. Then she got very sick, and soon she was so sick she was almost dead.
Speaker 4: Look at little Princesskirky. She can't even lift her head and.
Speaker 1: She's not hardly breathing. Did they have the.
Speaker 4: Vet, Yeah, the doc was here twice, kept dosing her with medicine, but it's not doing her any good.
Speaker 1: What are they gonna do with her now?
Speaker 4: Well, I heard mister Hank say he was gonna shoot her put her out of her misery.
Speaker 1: Look what little princess. Just twist your nose a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'm going in there and rub her a little bit. Kirky, you say a prayer for little princess, and so will I. She just can't die, Kirky, she just can't.
Speaker 7: Hey, there, boys, you wouldn't be annoying that calf, would you.
Speaker 1: Oh no, sir, we aren't bothering her. Mister Hank, what.
Speaker 4: Are you gonna do with her? Mister Hank got to shoot her.
Speaker 7: I guess it's too far gone for any hope for her. Mister Lindley said not to spend any more VET money on her.
Speaker 4: Can I work on her a little bit before you shoot her?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 7: What do you think you are a magician or something?
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do with her?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Nothing special. Just thought I might try a few things my mother does to me and Kirky when we get sick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we'll do any harm. I guess he go ahead and mess around. When you get through fussing with her, let me know, and I'll get my gun and ease her out of us.
Speaker 4: So, yes, sir, I'll let you know. Come on, Kirky, we got things to do. You go get a bucket of hot water, and I'll get the curry comb and the things from the harness room. Now you're clean, little princess, and you're gonna get a rub down with this gunnysack, just like your mother would do with her tongue if she were here.
Speaker 1: Look what she's trying to raise her head.
Speaker 4: That's the girl, little princess, Lift up your pretty little head.
Speaker 7: That's the way. Keep trying.
Speaker 4: That's right. Get your feet moving too, keep them wiggling so you'll be on those wobble little feet. Before you know it. You're gonna be our queen yet. Wow, little princess, you're gonna break records and win ribbons just like your mother did.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 4: That's it. A little higher now, look, Corky, she's trying to get up. She's gonna make it.
Speaker 6: The little princess did make it. She did get up. At first, she was pretty wobbly, but she kept getting better and better. She got so she could take milk again. And the next thing, Kirky and whit knew mister Hank was planning to enter her at the fair. Mister Hank had all hands working getting the other cattle ready for the show. One day he stopped the two boys when they were walking toward the bottom.
Speaker 7: Hey, you two boys want to fit that calf here's up for the fair?
Speaker 4: Oh go on, mister Hank. You know little princess is and our calf.
Speaker 7: I wish she were you had like she's yours. Well you want to fix her.
Speaker 3: Up or not?
Speaker 4: You mean we can get little princess ready for the fair all by ourselves.
Speaker 7: That's what I mean. You got a washer and trimmer, shine her horns?
Speaker 4: On who we get to stay with her at the fair?
Speaker 7: One of you? Yeah, be a good help. In fact, Oh boy, Kirky, did.
Speaker 4: You hear that little princess is going to the fair and I get to go with her?
Speaker 1: She can I go to it? Kid her?
Speaker 7: Only one of you, And don't forget the princess has got to be properly prepared.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, mister Hank, you can come and visit me in little princess. Kirky, You and father and mister Hank and the others. Come on now, we gotta start getting a little princess ready. She's gonna win the bluest ribbon in the whole fair.
Speaker 1: You wit. Here come some men driving in the yard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you haven't seen that man before. Oh that's the county agent.
Speaker 1: Wonder what he wants.
Speaker 4: Probably wants to see mister Hank as usual. Oh, boys, hank around, Yes, sir, mister Wallace, he just went into the big.
Speaker 3: Barn milk More Farms.
Speaker 4: Got any good show cattle this year, yes, sir, lots of them.
Speaker 7: You're not a four H member, are you?
Speaker 4: No, sir? I don't think I know your name, do I? No, sir, my name's Whittaker Nelson and this is my little Brotherkirky Nelson. Corky's pretty young to join the four H. But you should be in the club, Whittaker.
Speaker 9: In four H the boys own their own animals and show them at fairs.
Speaker 4: Oh, we have good times. Wouldn't you like to join? Yeah? But I can't. I don't own an animal, not even a calf. Couldn't you get one? Well, there's no place to keep it. Even if I could. There ought to be plenty of room and feet around here. Yeah, but room enough for mister Lindley's stock. And that's all. But I am going to get to show little princess at the fair. Want to come in the barn and see her?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Surely do she's mister Lindley's calf, but I look after her sort of like she was my own.
Speaker 6: Mister Wallace fell in love with Little Princess, just like everyone did. He tried to get mister Linley to sell her cheap enough so that Quit and Corky could buy her, but mister Lindley said she was too valuable to sell to boys. He told mister Wallace that there were sixteen boys and girls on the farm and if he provided cabs and room and feed for all of them, he'd have to move his own stock out. Mister Wallace didn't like it too well about mister Lindley not selling Little Princess to the boys, because well, mister Wallace was wonderful to them, and he kept coming back and spending a lot of time teaching Whit how to groom and lead little Princess into the show ring. When fairtime came at. They gave with a good place to sleep right near little Princess, and he spent all the time with her, beating her, keeping her clean, rubbing her and talking to her.
Speaker 4: Their little Princess, that takes care of your left foot, and now your right one there now, and the back ones are already done. Say you look just dandy. Your white spots are whiter than snow, and your black just shines. And you're gonna look like that blue ribbon hanging on you, said, little princess, you're gonna win the bluest blue ribbon they ever gave away, if it's fair. Oh, hey, kirky, so you got here?
Speaker 1: Yep? Mother and Dad are waiting outside in the roof for you to show them, little princess.
Speaker 4: How soon do you and little princess go out anytime?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 1: Say she looks beautiful? Is she gonna win?
Speaker 4: Well, there's some stiff competition, lots of good junior yearlings in the show, not as.
Speaker 1: Good as little princess. Ah, shine her up good and pretty even her feet.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't know she was just a mite from being dead once, would you? Uh huh, Little princess, you're the prettiest ghost I ever saw.
Speaker 2: All Right, boys, get your hostings, you your earlings ready, those of you in class ah, bring your animals and.
Speaker 1: Line up in a ring.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, quirky, that's us little princesses in class A. Come on, little princess, you're going out there in the ring and you're gonna win. Remember to walk like a princess.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 4: Hold up your head, it's a good girl. Back, straight tail, snug, careful, now steady and keep calm and can get almost their little princess quirky. You go along and stay with mom and dad and keep saying a little prayer for a little princess and me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: When the judge took his time looking all the calves over very carefully, he kept marking things down on a card. When he cut the little princess, he twisted his mouth around the side kind of strange like and squinted. He squinted at her long and hard, kept walking around her and around her and bending over, running his hands over the calves, legs her back, and feeling her shoulders. He spent some time on the last two calves, and then he straightened up kind of quick like and raised his hand.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, like.
Speaker 2: Your attention here, I'm going to rearrange the calves in order that there placing in the show.
Speaker 4: Heh, boy, you move your calf over here. That's right now.
Speaker 2: Number five and three you come along here. You're next our lad. Now six two and four you come along up here too.
Speaker 4: And line up there.
Speaker 2: You are, hold your numbers up nice and high.
Speaker 6: I wonder which number was wits and if Little Princess placed in the show.
Speaker 3: If you're enjoying today's story, we thought you'd like to know about some of the other great animal stories we have available. Which ones are your favorite, Aunt, Carrol?
Speaker 5: Well, let's see. The first one that pops to my mind is a dog named Bear because I once had a dog by that name.
Speaker 6: Hmm.
Speaker 3: The first one I think of as the fierce Protector and you have to wonder if that dog was really an angel in disguise.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: Then there's Greyfriars Bobby and Jamie. Where are you both dogs? We're real heroes, true.
Speaker 3: And we have even more dog stories like the Private Life of my dog Bingo and Balto's Race of Life and Death, which is about a very brave dog.
Speaker 5: Speaking of bravery, it comes in dogs of all sizes. There are two stories that show the extreme courage of small dogs.
Speaker 3: Little King and Major Barkas.
Speaker 5: Yes, then there's a story of the rambunctious Doberman which shows bravery and faithfulness, and a large dog.
Speaker 3: Oh, and don't forget the story of Doup that reminds us to be kind to our pets.
Speaker 5: True, Oh, Uncle Dan, we'd better get back to today's story for to finish it. We really don't have time to talk about other animals stories.
Speaker 3: But just one more, Aunt Carol, for our friends who love cats. Okay, I have to mention our story about a little cat that saved a train. It's called Little Lost Cat.
Speaker 5: Now, if you'd like to have any or all of these stories to play at your own convenience or to give his gifts, just visit our our website at your story hour dot org. That's your storyour dot org.
Speaker 3: Once there you can see a list of all the great stories we have available to download are in our CD albums.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: If you don't have access to the web, don't worry. You can either write or call us for a free catalog.
Speaker 3: Our address is your Story Hour, Box eight Niles, n I. L. E. S. Michigan four nine one two zero. That's Box eight Niles, Michigan four nine one.
Speaker 5: Two zero, And our toll free number is one eight hundred nine eight seven seventy eight seventy nine. That's one eight hundred nine eight seven seventy eight seventy nine.
Speaker 3: If you call after regular office hours and reach our answering machine. Please be sure to spell out your last name and your street address for us. It helps us avoid mistakes.
Speaker 5: Now let's get back to our story.
Speaker 6: The bluest ribbon, Young Wit Nelson is showing the calf Little Princess at the county fair. The judge raised his hand to get the attention of the crime.
Speaker 2: Enough, folks, I like to point out a few things about these calves. Number four as a mighty nice muzzle, good white pins, and plenty of girds. Number six has a neat back line and some other good points, but lacks a little body death. Number three is the winner because she is just about every feature to make her a top dairy type calf. She has the body, the legs, muzzle, her back line.
Speaker 6: By that time, Wit wasn't listening to anything. The judge said Little Princess was the winner, and WIT's head was all filled up with glory enough to burst, and he was shaking all over. Little Princess had come into her own She was a true princess, a queen. Only a few weeks after the fair, the boy's father died of a heart attack. The boys and their mother moved to a little house with a couple acres of weedy land, a little bit of weather beaten barn in a garden patch. She took in sewing, and the welfare did the rest. There wasn't much of anything for Corky and Wit to do anymore except to work for mother and go to school. On the weekend, they'd sometimes walk over to Milkmore Farms to see Little Princess. She never forgot them. When they'd come to her stall. She'd raise her head and nibble at their sleeves and try to climb out of her pin and reach them better.
Speaker 4: There there, little Princess, you're getting to be a pretty big girl. Remember you're a queen now. You can't go climbing up on your stall and jumping on my shoulder like that. You're too big. Hey, here's the usual treat for you there. What do you say, Look, Corky, she's nodding her head as usual. She remembers everything we taught her. Yeah, I wish she was ours, so do I, But maybe that's covetous. She belongs to mister Lindley and we got no right to water.
Speaker 8: Hum.
Speaker 4: She was definitely want nearly cost them a bullet that time. But we can't keep brooding about it, Kirky, Come on, we better get back home. Four miles takes a long time to walk.
Speaker 1: Mister Hank's coming this way. You don't suppose he mind just coming here like this studio.
Speaker 4: I don't suppose so.
Speaker 7: Hey, kids still moving over this here, calv why don't you buyer it? To sale?
Speaker 4: What sale?
Speaker 7: The sale? We're gonna have big dispersal, sell them all.
Speaker 4: What do you mean, mister Hank, What are you gonna sell him for?
Speaker 7: Mister Lindley's gonna sell out and move to Florida, says he can't keep any decent help the good ones go somewhere else to get better wages. He could keep miffed pay more, but not him. We've got plenty of money and aims to keep it now. Me, I've been saving the way all for years and years.
Speaker 6: That's when the two boys began trying to save up some money so they could buy little Princess on sale day, several months away. They took odd jobs and saved every penny they earned, and they didn't stop to figure how they'd feed her even if they got her. When sale day came, the boys had only thirty nine dollars and twenty seven cents between them. That was a lot of money for them, but not enough to buy a yearling like Little Princess. Anyway, they gathered it all up and went over to Milkmore Farm for the sale.
Speaker 4: Well, from the lots of things, they won't get around to sell Little Princess and the other calves till later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we don't mind waiting to do it.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I guess not. I guess they're gonna sell Little Princess next.
Speaker 1: Think we got enough to buy her with.
Speaker 4: No, not a chance. The way the other calves have been going, Little Princess will start around seventy five dollars. No telling how high she'll go from there.
Speaker 1: What we'd prayed about it, remember the sale, as we did when she almost died and when she won the ribble at the fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, miracle both times, but it's just playing asking too much of God to make herself for less than forty dollars, and that'd be an insult a Little Princess too.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm going to pray about.
Speaker 4: It, Okay, I will too.
Speaker 11: Know, folks, we're going to sell the daughter a lady queen the whole princess. You have her pedigree there on your sales catalog. She won the Junior Yearling ribbon at the fair. All right, let's get the bidding started.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 11: I hear seventy five? Who'll go?
Speaker 4: Eighty?
Speaker 1: Eighty eighty?
Speaker 11: Who'll go?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: I got eighty making one hundred, one hundred, one hundred? Do I hear one one hundred, one hundred?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: Who will make it?
Speaker 9: One hundred and twenty?
Speaker 4: I'm looking for one hundred and twenty?
Speaker 10: Who making?
Speaker 4: Well? I hope she gets a good home. Yeah, she's a good calf, the best.
Speaker 1: You bet she is. Look at her stands there in a wing leg A queen.
Speaker 4: She is a queen.
Speaker 2: Got one hundred and fifty four, little princess?
Speaker 4: Who'll make it?
Speaker 10: Seventy one?
Speaker 4: Seventy one seventy? Do I hear one seventy? I got one fifty? Who'll make it? One seventy six? I got one sixty? Who'll make it? One seventy one?
Speaker 10: Seventy one seventy?
Speaker 4: I got one sixty?
Speaker 7: Do I hear one seventy one?
Speaker 4: Hey? Wit?
Speaker 1: Here comes from mister Wallace, the county agent.
Speaker 4: Where I don't see him?
Speaker 1: He just came in the door at the other end of the barn.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, I see him. Hey, I'm gonna wave and try to get his attention.
Speaker 1: Mister Wallace. Mister Wallace, I don't think he saw you.
Speaker 4: I guess he didn't.
Speaker 6: Done one eighty one two?
Speaker 4: Are you all dumb free? And so the young fellow sitting on the barrel there? Hey, wit, he pointed at you me, but I wasn't bidding.
Speaker 1: You're the only one sitting on a barrel. Looks like you bought one princess, even if you didn't mean to.
Speaker 4: He must have thought I was waving at him. When I was waving at mister Wallace, I haven't got anywhere near one hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 1: We better go tell someone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, let's get out of his side door and try to find the man who writes things down.
Speaker 1: What do we do about it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: I have to sell little princess over again, I guess.
Speaker 9: Oh, I wit Corky want me to truck your cab home for you.
Speaker 4: I'm going right by your place now, Jim, I I don't have a calf. What do you mean you don't have a calf? I just saw you buy one. Yeah, the auctioneer thought I was waving at him, when I was actually waving at the county agent.
Speaker 9: You mean you didn't really mean to buy her.
Speaker 1: No, we'd like to have little princess. But where'd we get one hundred and seventy five dollars?
Speaker 9: Boy, you got yourselves in a jam. Hey, mister Wallace, come over here a minute, will you?
Speaker 1: Hello?
Speaker 2: Jim, Wit and Corky?
Speaker 4: Where'd you boys go so quickly?
Speaker 9: I was looking for you inside.
Speaker 4: Mister Wallace.
Speaker 9: These boys here went and got themselves a yearling hepper without meaning to Wit waved his hand at you, and the auctioneer thought he was bidding.
Speaker 4: On the calf. Yeah, I thought I saw that happen. To tell you the truth with it, I was looking for you for that very reason. What can I do, mister Wallace? I can't pay one hundred and seventy dollars for a calf, even if she is a little princess.
Speaker 2: Well, you and Corky just sold tight for spell.
Speaker 4: I want to go over here and talk to my wife.
Speaker 2: Jim, you come along too.
Speaker 6: The boys didn't know exactly what mister Wallace and Jim talked to missus Wallace about. But the first thing they knew, they were passing hats to all that crowd at the auction, and that boy was well, he was waving his hand, and the auctioneer thought he was bidding. So the boy accidentally bid on the very calf in his life he'd saved. And he can't pay for it.
Speaker 7: Oh three dollars help, Oh.
Speaker 6: Thank you kindly, it's sure will and bless.
Speaker 9: You witting that calf he accidentally bought her inseparable, poor boy, he should have a calf, his father dead, and.
Speaker 4: All glad to give you something. And let's see you what two three five dollars?
Speaker 6: And the boy made the calf a winner if a player too. He can't stand apart with that, can Mama?
Speaker 7: You say he's a deserving boy.
Speaker 4: Well, I got some grocery change here, won't need it this week?
Speaker 7: Hold that head.
Speaker 9: Closes A good boy who can't pay for his calf.
Speaker 6: Hey, what'd you say?
Speaker 4: He can't pay for his calf?
Speaker 7: Pay for half?
Speaker 6: How much is half for his calf? Mister Deffens can't pay for his calf? Well, why didn't you say show ten dollars billion?
Speaker 1: Helpout?
Speaker 3: Sure would?
Speaker 2: I saw that dear boy in his cap at the fair, one at at at a time, if if Lindley was a treating.
Speaker 4: Him right, eight ninety two dollars and twenty eight cents. How much do you have, missus Wallace?
Speaker 6: I have ninety eight dollars and eighteen cents, and U Jim.
Speaker 9: Ninety two dollars and twenty eight cents. We need some paper to add this out.
Speaker 6: I have some right here, see now, ninety two twenty eight plus ninety eight eighteen. That comes to one hundred and ninety dollars and forty six cents. Well that's more than the calf cor.
Speaker 9: The boys already have thirty nine dollars. Should we give some of this back to the people.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, Jim, we never could find them again. I know what let's do. Let's let quit have it for feed for little princes.
Speaker 9: Come on, let's go find the boys and give this money to them.
Speaker 6: When Jim and Missus Wallace handed with all that money, I guess he didn't act very grown up. He tried to thank them, but he well, he just couldn't talk. He stood right there and cried like a girl.
Speaker 9: And they said, that's all right, Wit, you just take little Princess home and raise you up a whole herd from her.
Speaker 6: And then Jim and mister Wallace loaded little Princess in Jim's truck and Corky rode in front and Whit got him back. When they drove through that crowd and out of the Milkmore driveway, they all looked at Quit, a little princess in the back.
Speaker 4: Of that truck. That's right, little Princess, you stand right up being and hold your head high. It's just like the queen that you are. Do you know something, little Princess today, I'm a kig.
Speaker 6: Yes. That crowd looked at little Princess and Wit standing so proudly there in the back of the trunk, and they waved their hands with tears.
Speaker 3: Now, before we go, I want to encourage you boys and girls to keep sending in your riddles, jokes and tongue twisters to be printed on the Funnybones page of our Clubhouse magazine.
Speaker 5: Uncle Dan likes to collect the riddles before they're printed in Clubhouse and try them out on me.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true. Speaking of which, here's a riddle that one of our listeners sent in. If a rooster laid an egg on the very tip of a roof. Which way would it fall?
Speaker 5: Oh, you're going to try to get me to do some fancy calculations, but I'm onto you. The answer is just that the egg would fall down.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Aunt Carol, No, it wouldn't.
Speaker 6: It wouldn't why or not?
Speaker 3: Because roosters don't lags hens news.
Speaker 5: I can't believe I missed it.
Speaker 3: That was a good one and there are plenty more where that one came from.
Speaker 5: If you have a joke, riddler, tongue twister to share, just send it to your story Hour box eight Niles, Ni l e. S. Michigan four nine one two zero.
Speaker 3: That's Box eight Niles, Michigan, four nine one two zero.
Speaker 5: You may discover it in a future issue of Clubhouse or even here. Uncle Dan, try it on me someday.
Speaker 3: So we'll be waiting to hear from you soon.
Speaker 5: And until next time, stay well and keep smiling.
Speaker 2: This has been your story Hour, building for a better tomorrow.
Speaker 5: This is Aunt Carrol
Speaker 3: And Uncle Dann saying goodbye everyone, See you again next time.