Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, guess what day it is.
Speaker 3: Guess what day it is?
Speaker 2: Huh anybody, It's hump Day.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is hump Day. Welcome to the Big Boone Sider. Dick Gabri was he on a Wednesday edition of our program. Coming up tonight baseball, football, basketball, a little bit of horse racing. At the bottom of the hour, Aaron Gershan of the Cats Balls will join us talk about the Wildcats, a little bit of NBA with Aaron as well, and in our number two. As usual on Wednesdays, we visit with our head coach of the Scott County Cardinals and unforgettable guard Sean Woods. Also, our West End Bureau chief Gary Moore joined us in our number two. I wanted to talk a little bit first about UK basketball, the NBA and the media because for many, many years being a member of the media, I've heard people criticize us, those of us in the media about being negative or whatever. And that's the case. You're always going to hear that if somebody says or writes anything that doesn't agree with what they think, and isn't you know, if you're not with us, you're against this kind of stuff. But if you think it's bad here, and I've heard people talk about how terrible it is. No trust me, it's not. And I will start by saying, I remember many many years ago hearing Rick Patino talking to somebody about the media in Kentucky compared to the media in New York. Because remember he had come from coaching the Knicks. You talk about a lightning rod. Now he had won a bunch of games up there, they had won a divisional title, they had packed Madison Square Garden. But he was still criticized because if you're a pro coach anywhere, you're going to be criticized, especially in New York. And of course Tom Tibodeau just fired by the Knicks. All he did was win fifty games get him to the Eastern Conference Final. We will come back to that. But I heard Patino explain to somebody comparing media in Kentucky to the media in New York. And when he talked about us, he said, they're like candy compared to New York. I always got to kick out of that, They're like candy compared to the media in New York. And that's true, you know, because New York is the most competitive media market in the world, and those men and women up there are battling for ratings, for eyeballs, for readers, still for clicks. So what's the best way to get those Well, not by saying everything's great. No, by attacking. And you know, if the team is winning and winning big, yeah, it's fine. But if it's not, they attack, And that has happened now, of course with the Knick's coach who's now fired and it's kind of divided the media. Should he have been fired? Should he not? But of course one of the biggest targets right now, literally and figuratively is Karl Anthony Towns came over in the trade from Minnesota for Julius Randalls, so two Wildcats being swapped, and Towns was supposed to be the final piece of that puzzle. And you heard Mike Sephaznik talk about this on the show. Are New York based superfan UK superfan the other day. I got some tweets and texts from you guys and joined that interview. I'm glad you did. But as Mike pointed out, Towns is built like the proverbial aircraft carrier, as Al McGuire used to call, but he is not the classic and I don't know how many of these guys exist anymore, low post bigs who set up shop in the bottom of the paint and do all their work there. No, he's out on the floor, he's shooting threes, but he does. Every big man does that now in the NBA. DeMarcus Cousins was doing that in the NBA before he got hurt. So now he's the big he's the big target, he's the big paycheck, and he's the biggest target for criticism and Mike, not long after we taped our interview, he sent me a link to a SoundBite from WFN Radio knocking Boy, not just knocking destroying Carl Anthony Towns.
Speaker 5: Here, it is the biggest issue that the Knicks have going forward to get to the next level is the fact that they waited and waited and waited to go all in on a couple of guys, and the biggest one being Karl Anthony Towns, and they went and they traded for him, and he's making fifty million dollars a year and at the core, he's a loser. That is their biggest problem. The guy is a loser, He's a losing player. He complains, he is soft. He shows you flashes where he's the best player on the court, not enough, he doesn't play enough defense. He bitches and moans. He is, up until this point in his career, a loser who is making fifty million dollars, who is going to be a logjam. As far as them trying to get to the next level.
Speaker 3: His shot selection on Saturday night was insane.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's he is getting to the point now as one of the most frustrating players I have ever watched in the uniform of a team that I root for because I know how good he can be, and it's just so damn annoying watching him not realize his full potential. And I don't know if it'll ever happen. I really don't know, but that that is their biggest issue, is the fact that they thought this Town's thing was going to work better than it did and it hasn't.
Speaker 4: That is Greg Giannati of WFN Radio up in New York, And as I said, very competitive. You gotta go after somebody, So he's going to go after Towns. Right. What happens next year, whoever's coaching, If the Knicks win the title, this guy's going to be all over Karl Anthony towns in a good way. Towns will be a here, They'll have a ticker tape parade, and all will be forgiven and forgotten. But that's just the nature of the media up in New York. But please keep that in mind when you complain about us. And I'm not saying we're above reproach. You complain about us all we all you want. People have complained about me since I began my career, such as it is. But I just think it's interesting when I hear people complain about lexing and media and talk about us, And of course it's all relative. I know, if you grew up in this area and you grew up reading and listening and watching media people, you know what you like and you know what you don't like. But trust me, it's nothing, nothing like it is in the bigger markets. For that reason, what if Mark Pope it was expected now to make a run for the national title? Legitimate run, as Cameron Mills pointed out yesterday, that's always the mission. What nobody expected that? And I wonder how many people expected a Sweet sixteen run based on a reaction by the Wildcat faithful. Probably not many. They were so happy with that team last year. Well what about this coming year? And we'll talk about the preseason Top twenty five here in a minute. So what if Pope doesn't accomplish that, What if he doesn't get it done in the next three to five years, I guarantee you he won't be trashed away. Karl Anthony Towns has been trashed in New York preseason rankings right now they all two early preseason rankings are out there. And you may have noticed if you listened last night with camer Mills. I didn't bring this up because he loses his mind whenever you talk about polls. This is the blind spot for him. He refuses to accept the fact it's for fun, for us that the consumer, and for the people doing the polls. It's a way to fill space and time. I always say, the internet's a bottomless pitt and we have to fill it right cbssports dot com as they're all too soon. Top twenty five preseason and number one is Saint John's talk about high expectations. Thirty one and five. Last year, upset in the nca Tournament by Arkansas, but they get a bunch of transfers a guy from North Carolina, Bryce Hopkins from Providence, got a kid from Arizona State from Cincinnati, Stanford, Idaho State crying out loud an Naia player transferring in. They're bringing in a kid from overseas and a four star high school kid. Patino said he was going to ignore high school kids. He did sign one, and CBS Sports has them number one preseason. I will save you the time. Kentucky is number twelve, and this is after well Tago Away made his announcement, but of course they cite him. Brandon Garret Garrison, all the transfers coming in and the four star freshman class Jasper Johnson, Malachai Moreno, and Brayden Hawthorne. So now you're wondering, well, who could be better than Kentucky? In between uk and Saint John's Well Houston three at the top seven scorers are back from a team that played for a national title last year. Brigham Young is third. How about that they've got freshmen, They've got transfers. Perdue is fourth, Yukon fifth. Florida defending champion is six, but five of its top ten scorers back. Texas Tech is seventh, then Michigan Duke, Ucla, and Arizona, following Kentucky, Iowa State, Alabama, and Louisville at number fifteen. I've seen Louisville in the top ten in one of these way too soon surveys. So again, it's just for fun, and I doubt if this changes much now between the beginning of the season and today, unless somebody gets hurt. But it's just for fun. Nobody's saying that Saint John's is a lot. But it's going to be fun to see what Patino does for an encore, just as it's going to be fun to see what Mark Pope does for an encore. And remember they play each other down in Atlanta. We'll talk about this in more, but Aaron Gershawn when we come back up next the College Football Hall of Fame ballot. I mentioned the other night Randall Cobb is on the ballot. He'll get my vote, But as for who else I'm going to vote for, this is one of the toughest years I can remember, and so many of the players you and I have seen them play against Kentucky or we've seen them play in high profile games. That's all ahead here on the big Blue side. Six thirty Wlap Welcome back to the Big Blue Sider. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, Aaron Gershawn of the catch Pause, and then in hour number two, Sean Woods, the unforgettable Guard, and West End Bureau Chief Gary Moore. We speak to each of those guys scheduling permitting on Wednesdays. I talked a little bit yesterday about the fact that Randall Cobb, the maybe best all around player in the history of Kentucky football, is now on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot the class of twenty twenty six, and he is up against some serious, serious competition. But think about this now, Remember now, Tim kouch went in what was it last year, they put out these numbers, five point seven eight million players in college football since the first game Princeton versus Rutgers in eighteen sixty nine. No, I didn't cover it, but since then, only a total of one thousand, one hundred and eleven players eleven to eleven have earned induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. That is point zero two percent, less than two to one hundredth of a percent of anybody who played the game in the last one hundred and fifty five seasons. And from the coaching ranks. Only two hundred and thirty seven individuals have been named to the College Football Hall of Fame. So amazing, amazing those numbers, which is why it's so tough to get in. I do have a vote as a member of the College Football Writers Association, and going through the ballot, yeah, I will vote for Randall Cobb. And I know it's terribly parochial, maybe a little biased, but that's why there are people like me across the country with votes with ballots. So but as I said, I went through the names, and you know, they just conjured so many memories. But so many of these players played against Kentucky or we had seen them play somehow. In some of these names, you're gonna know regardless. Morton Anderson, the great kicker from Michigan State. Eric b Enemy to Colorada running back nineteen ninety third in the Heighspan Trophy balloting. Courtney Brown, a great defensive end of Penn State, played against the Wildcats in the nineteen ninety eight outback Well actually played it on January one, nineteen ninety nine. But he was an incredibly good player, unanimous first team All American and Penn State's all time career leader in TFLs and sacks and played against Tim Couch in Kentucky. How Mummy's team back then another Penn State player Kase Johnnick Carter. If you're a Bengals fan, you saw him play. Injuries meant he did not have a great pro career, but he unanimous first team All American and a Heisman runner up In nineteen ninety four. Brad culpeper Florida defensive tackle Wildcats had to play against Aaron Donald. Kentucky never played against him. He played at pitt and then of course went on to a great NFL career. Super Bowl champion Elvis Doomerville, UFL defensive end, unanimous first team All American and twenty oh five winner of the Negerski Trophy. Led the nation in sacks that year with twenty and was ranked fourth in TFLs with twenty two. What may have won him that Nigersky Award was his performance against Kentucky that year. Cardinals won that game thirty one to twenty four. Good game and he was a difference maker six sacks in one game that broke the NCAA single game sack record. Later on, he broke the NSA record for forced fumbles that season. Von Dunbar, running back for Indiana, played against the Wildcats. Robert Griffin third RG three from Baylor, consensus first team All American, blew his knee. He killed his NFL career, but a great player in college. Percy Harvin two, I'm first team All American for Florida. Remember watching him play against Kentucky. Kentucky had no answers for that guy. Nobody had answers for that guy. Also, Garrison Hurst, running back nineteen ninety two from Georgia, was so great watching him play against the Wildcats. His senior year. He ran for one hundred and seventy one yards in a touchdown against Kentucky beat the Wildcats forty to seven, mark Ingram Alabama running back Believe it or not, Alabama's first ever Heisman Trophy winner, and he graduated in twenty oh nine. Up until that point, Bama had never had a Heisman Trophy winner, but he was sec offensive player of the year, led the league in rushing and touchdowns. You know who else is on the ballot? Riot Leaf, Washington State first team All American quarterback, third in the Heisman Trophy voting. Remember the NFL draft that year came down to Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. Colts made the right decision. Leif had terrible problems with his personal discipline, shall we say when he got out. But a great college player, Marshawn Lynch Cal running back is on the ballot. You know who else is on the ballot? Kellen Moore from Boise State quarterback twenty ten first Team All American, finished his career as the winningest starting quarterback in college football history, still Boise States all time leading passer. Really part of that Boise team that put that program on the map. I'll tell you another guy who's got to go in first ballot. I gotta think Cam Newton of Auburn and since his first team All American Heightsman Trophy winner in twenty ten led the Tigers to a national title. But the toughest game that year for Auburn go look it up. Prior to the championship game, Kentucky in lection It Wildcats had a chance just barely missed upsetting Auburn, which needed a game winning drive led by Newton in a closing seconds and a field goal to beat the Wildcats. And until the championship game. That was their toughest game. I know they fell behind it to come back against Alabama, but they won easily over Alabama compared to the win over Kentucky. Ken Norton, Junior UCLA linebacker is on the ballot. His son He is the son of the boxer. Ken Norton Junior's son. At one point, he's a sports catch. At one point worked at WLKY and Louisville. How about that Antwine Randall l Indiana First Team All America quarterback in twenty one as a senior. His team had a losing record. What was the first team All American and his last game of his college career was a win over the Wildcats. They were supposed to play Kentucky second weekend of September, then nine to eleven happened. That game was moved to the end of the year and Randall LL had a big game. His team carried him off the field. After winning over Kentucky, he became the first player in FBS history to throw for six thousand yards and rush for three thousand yards. Ran for more yards in any quarterback in FBS history at that point. At the conclusion of his career, switched to wide receiver, had a nice pro career. Larry Severs Tennessee wide receiver, first team All American consensus nineteen seventy five at seventy six, but his last game as a collegiate a lost to Kentucky in Knoxville, sixth to nothing. Kentucky went on to the Peach Bowl. Tennessee did not get a bid and their coach was fired. But Larry Sivers great player. Also in the ballot and Dominican Sue the great Nebraska defensive tackle Mantit Tew Notre Dame linebacker, unanimous first team All American. Unfortunately was best known because he got catfished. Also in the ballot Peter Warwick, great wide receiver from Florida State. Five years with the Bengals. If you're a Bengals fan, you watched him. So that's what I'm saying. This is an incredibly talented ballad. Not sure who I'm going to vote for, but I will vote for Randall Copp Back in the minute with Aaron Gershean on six thirty wlap welcome back to the Big Blue and sider joining us now as he does each week. Aaron Gershan of the Cats pause, and before we talk about the current Wildcats, Aaron, I got to ask you about a former Wildcat. You covered Karl Anthony Towns when he was here, or at least, let's see, were you in Indiana by then?
Speaker 2: Not yet? No, this was before I was actually still up in New York. Okay, all right, that's right, Yeah, yeah, two years ahead.
Speaker 4: Of me, that's right. But as I mentioned in a previous segment, growing up in the New York area, being as sportsman as you are, you're used to hearing, seeing reading the media coverage that we played earlier with the SoundBite of a radio host destroying Carl Anthony Towns. I mean, is that just business as usual up there?
Speaker 2: Business as usual up there? I mean, it gives me some pleasure right now. But go listen to the Jan Soto rants. With how he's performing so far with the Mets, you'd act like he's in the fourteenth year of that contract and it's all over and he's a bus So that's just how it is in New York. Everything's under a very sick microscope and you got to perform and look that clip. I actually I agree with the fact he could be frustrating and the shot selection sometimes is way off, and he's such a good player, and he is inconsistent, and I think those are all good takes. But to say he's what's holding them back, to tell them back this year is crazy to me, based on the fact they went further this year. And I know the same team beat him. I get that, but and you know everyone's going to make the argument, oh, if Jason Tatum to get hurt, well in Game five, when Jason Tatum unfortunately did arraus achilles, the Knicks had all the momentum before that injury occurred. They were in the lead, and they were probably still going to win the game, and they would have been up three to one, and then they still lost the game with Tatum backs without with Tatum out, so you know, and then they were able to finish off that series and dominate Game six, and you know, so to me, they actually took the next step this year, even if you want to call it a little lucky that you know, a superstar went down. To me, the Knicks had bigger issues. It was their offense really, And you know, I don't necessarily agree with firing Tom said though, with given what he's done with this franchise that has been just awful until he arrived and they made the playoffs his first year, and they've been the playoffs all but one year he was there. But you know, their offensive times kind of similar to what we saw toward the end of the cal era, a little bit outdated, a little bit slow, and then the short rotations, and you could demply tell fatigue got the guys like Kat and Jalen Brompton and Josh Hart by the end of the year because they play such a darn large low during the regular season. And that's not to say they need to be I'm not a load management fan, so it's not the fact like, yes, he can play his eighty two games, but playing forty minutes in seventy of eighty two games, yeah, I don't know if that's the best strategy. You've got to have a bench, and you've got to have depth. In Indiana had it in the next.
Speaker 4: Day, Yeah, And which to me points the finger at the front office. Basically, you know, give him if you're going to play short rotation, there's a reason if you give him a reason to play deeper in the bench. Yeah, I mean, he's not going to be Mark Pope playing everybody.
Speaker 2: But you know exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I just thought that was interesting. And as I said earlier, I always kind of have to smile when I hear people ripping on us, the media. I mean, that's all part of it. We you know, we take criticism. But you know, if you really want to know what it's like to hear media trashing the team they cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, New York and Philadelphia for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would think Boston Philadelphia, I would think, yeah, which I call the abreast city in America. So anyway, yeah, so I did want to touch on that with you. But now, speaking of Mark Pope, in the all too premature polls and surveys and rankings and all Kentucky's up there, CBS Sports has him twelfth preseason right now, it's all in good fun. But on your website, Isaac Trotter of two four to seven Sports as Kentucky seventh, not twelve, and gives Kentucky a huge shot at winning a national title. But that's what people expect. So that's Is it a big deal or no?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, it is in a sense that last year it was a little different. You know, you're coming in with a ton of unknown with guys that had never played together before, with a coach who you didn't know how he was going to perform here because he had really only been a head coach in the city. You saw obviously played here, but it's different. And they came into the season a people ranked twenty three that was almost like it almost felt like name brand, you're going to get in. So they come in twenty third and then they start the year red hot, and they go all the way up to number four, you know before they lost to Clemson. So you know, there's a lot of unknown last year, and I think it is a big deal that already in year two where last year they're really the expectation was just makes the tournament and let's see what we've got. This year, it's final four busts in a lot of people's eyes. And when you build a roster this talented and with this much death, you have a guy in oteke Away who was all the second team all SEC last year, was your leading scorer, was in double figures in all but two or three games, coming back to lead the team. Like, yeah, it's going to come with expectations, especially you know, again, I think we touched on it. Last week Auburn and Alabama got saved by the bell too on NBA Day, NBA deadline Day, getting file On back to Bama and then Pettiford back to Auburn. So you know, those two teams probably were fringe top twenty five. Now they're looking, you know, top fifteen to top twenty, but still they're not. I don't think they're gonna be as dominant as they were last year. Florida should be really, really good again. They've reloaded Arkansas, you think is gonna be better. I still am skeptical about the shooting on that roster, so you know, the SEC is not going to take a drastic step back. But I think it's almost impossible for to be as elite as it was last year. I mean, I could be wrong, and I hope I'm wrong, because it was a heck of a lot of fun watching all these battles last year. But yeah, I see they I think they are on paper a top ten teams. But you got to now it's about managing those expectations and going out and performing. We haven't really, we haven't really seen a Mark Pope led team have these high expectations and see how he handles, you know, keeping those rankings out of eyesight, out of earshot. We haven't seen that yet. So, you know, last year they were kind of like the underdogs. Even though they did get up into the top four and they beat some really good teams, no one was really no one really took them all that seriously. And you know, they went to the Sweet sixteen with a pang groups. So it's gonna be different this here, coming in with high expectations, and if they.
Speaker 4: Had stayed healthy, I think the expectations pre season last year would have been adjusted on the fly by us in the media about your fans, because, as you said, they got off to that great start, they piled up good big win after big win. But the injuries, the puzzling losses, Yeah, the fact that they didn't play very good defense until after that Old Miss loss. Everybody kind of had to tap the brakes a little bit, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no question about it. They absolutely had to tap the breaks and see uh, it was just waiting and see mode. You never kind of knew which Kentucky team was going to come out for a little bit there with their defensive issues, and you know, that's one thing on Mark Tube's resume that has been concerning, and you hope you know this year now, when he has the best, by far the best rosters ever put together on paper, is these puzzling, weird losses to teams they have no business losing to. I mean, you just go back to his last year there at BYU. They lost the Brandon Garrison in Oklahoma State, who finished dead last in the Big twelve. They loft Oklahoma and won't take away That team wasn't any good. So you know there are some puzzling losses that happened that year, and go through his track record, I don't have them all in front of me. And then last year, of course, you know losing you know, Georgia ended up being a tournament team, but a team he should be able to handle. You lose on the road to Texas when Texas was paying up as well and you had the game in control, and you know, I'm missing some of the other weird ones off the top of my head, but just just games. You feel like you should have had Vanderbilt on the road again, another tournament team, but you know you're down big, then you take an eight point lead. You should be able to finish them off. So you know, that is one thing you look at going to next year, you look at how you know, maybe I don't know if it's hype. I don't know if it's what the messaging. Who knows. Maybe it was just off days from these particular teams and it's just all, you know, just not a trend we should be worried about. But yeah, that's definitely something.
Speaker 4: Will monger when you look at preseason polls, as you said, business as usual for Kentucky and even dating back to the Caliparia are his last two teams preseason twenty two to twenty three. Around of twenty three twenty four, Kentucky was ranked sixteenth. Wi's low for the Wildcats. Of course, the year before Kentucky preseason was number four Ashley, you know. And by the way, in that poll, Yukon was nowhere to be seen, jumped up and won it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what was I would love to know? And I was very high on Florida. I just want to say Darryl Bert actually last year look at our cat pause Yeah, if you go look at our Cat's pause SEC rankings, I think he moved to Kentucky fifth and put Florida four. Actually it's Florida up at number three, but Darrell adjusted it. That's okay. But I wonder if they were ranked going into the year. I bet they were top twenty five, but I don't think they were that high up in there. It just it all all has to play out of the floor. There's always going to be teams that I mean, no one had any expectations for Louisville last year and how could you. And you know, they ended up having a very nice year. I know the ACC was down, but you know they lost seven or eight games. That's a really really good year no matter how you slice it. So you know, there's always going to be a team that's overlooked. But you know, Kentucky this year, you know last year was kind of in that boat. This year they're going to come in you know, was it on their chest and they're going to have to They're gonna have to perform. It's the first again, it's the first time we've really seen this with Pope, and it's going to be really interesting. And like you said, some cow Perry teams handled it really well and others, you know, not so all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and others were disappointing. Uh, the AP preseason basketball poll for last year did not did not have Florida anywhere.
Speaker 2: You even have Florida, how about that didn't.
Speaker 4: Even have them and they had them twenty first and Kentucky, as you said, was twenty third. But people who covered the se see they were talking Florida early in the year. So yeah, it just depends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know how people really missed it. The two guys coming back with Clayton and Richard and then Elijah Martin was an absolute stud and winter at you. But that's all right.
Speaker 4: He is Aaron Gershaan as the Cat's Balls. We'll come back and talk more with Aaron on the other side of the break here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We're talking with Aaron Gershaan of the Cat's Pause and he's been working, of course on Kentucky basketball, football, baseball. By the way, James McCoy anders the portal, you've got a story on the website. A little bit of a surprise maybe.
Speaker 2: Not what do you think A little bit and a little bit not like yeah, it's kind of it's kind of like, you know, this year was a little weird for him where he had his best season statistically lies and again every time they you know, not coming what happened against West Virginia, but everyone melted down in that one. Actually picked pretty darn well in those little relief appearances. He had hit a two eight five era you know, only I think twelve or thirteen innings, but still pretty solid there, and you know, had hit two eighty six by far his best on the ear. But it was kind of weird where he was on the bench for a while and then he comes back into play first base when they kind of gave up on Dylan Koon's and you know, maybe they should have played Hudson Brent. It was kind of a kind of a weird year with him where you know, he boo chins and he's still being counted on at a relief at some points and probably you know, going into his last year, going somewhere where he has a more established, clear cut role, and you know it's going to be this this is the first off seasons where it's going to be so interesting to see what happens in the sense that Kentucky has so much talents coming back. But now we're really you know, two years ago, you could have said the same going into the twenty twenty four year, and yes, the portal was active, but now it's now you're seeing the warcats come out and teams with no rules coming in and throwing all these dollars out. And you know, you can't tell me that the LSUS the Mississippi States of the world are not going to be coming after Tyler Bell and coming after you know, Ryan Schwartz and Hudson Brown and Ben Cleaver like they Kentucky has some really darn good players that are half the return next year, and you know it's gonna be really interesting and hopefully they can keep all of them. Because if they keep all of them, and even if they keep the vast majority of them, I think Minion what he said in his press conference is not far off. Like if they do the if they make the moves they have to make in the portal to you know, they're gonna need catching. They have no castres on next year's roster. They're gonna need to address the bullten issues that kill them this year. They're gonna need probably one more starting picture. But if they do all that and then bring back what they have, like it's a top ten roster. It really is. I mean, just based on the returning talent and how they performed this last year. But it's gonna be really hard to keep the Tyler Bells, the Hudson Browns and Ryan Schwartz Ben Clee. Like, this is going to be the first kind of test for Kentucky baseball in their NIL situation. And I think all fans and media like are curious to see how this thing goes.
Speaker 4: So you anticipate a bidding war.
Speaker 2: I mean, how could he not. I mean Tyler Bensley, guy that was the sixty sixth pick in the draft, you know, just last year, and he performed. I mean, he was a three hundred hitter, he was all SEC freshman team, you know, unfortunately had the knee injury, but and take away that one, he had his you know, learning curves as short but overall really darn good there as well. And you know he's a guy who's just gonna get better and better. He's probably on his way to becoming a first round pick one day. And yeah, you can't tell me that the lss of the world are not And I'm not just I'm just saying all too because I know what the type of baseball war chests they have. But even like Arizona State, they have a ton of money they pour into baseball. Mississippi State now with a new head coach, starting a new era like Texas, I mean what they were able to do this year. I know they did disappointing end there in the tournament. A lot of teams in the SEC did, But yeah, I would expect it's going to be uncomfortable for Mgione and this staff.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of teams would see what they can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh of course, yeah, you're already seeing it. I mean, you know, Western Kentucky just had an outstanding there and their best, best handful players already hit the portal. And and I'm sure Murray State did you see there's a screenshot going around how Murray State's roster if you go on their website, the website during the old miss game crashed really like all right, how many coaches are on there going through the roster tampering here. So that's just that's what happens. But you know Kentucky, yes they're in the SEC, and yes they've made the tournament three years in a row, gone to a College World Series. They just still don't have the work chefs that some of these other schools do. That some of these other schools do, and that's what's going to make it really tough to obtain all these really really good players they have to come back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but with a rule change. Is one big plus for Kentucky is full scholarships now, I mean.
Speaker 2: Been a huge show.
Speaker 4: Eleven point seven scholarships. Yeah, done. Ridiculous rule that they held a lot of programs back for many years and now that's not the case anymore. So even kids, even kids who might leave for a third of a scholarship or you know, room aboard or book money or whatever, now they can stick around because mom and dad don't have to write that big check.
Speaker 2: That's right. And that's why you're seeing all these mid majors or you know, not even necessarily mid majors, but team like three seeds and two seeds and these regionals win because those playing fields are so level between that and the portal, I mean, and these teams are so old. So yeah, I mean, like I almost I think college baseball is growing and that makes me really happy, but like I don't feel like it's being talked enough. Like what Murray State what And I know Louisville won the reasionable right state knocking out Vanderbilt UTSA beating Texas like that. Yeah, like all those things, like they're not being talked about enough, because it's an amazing story to show you how much this field has been leveled like this. You could never have thought any of this would happen five years ago. But now you're sitting here going in to Supers and the number one and two teams in the country are gone towards you. The seven overall seat is gone, like some power power programs with a lot of money being knocked off by teams with not nearly as much money, but they're able to put their full team on scholarship and clean up in the portal when all the big big names are help.
Speaker 4: And you know what, Nil rolled around. A lot of people looked at Coastal Carolina, which won the World Series within the last decade, So that'll never happen again. Now you know, you can't really say that, can you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: And look at Coastal they hosted and now they're in the Supers. Yeah, like I mean, perfect example. Yeah, it is happening, and I mean you have again Utsa, Murray State's and the Super It's it's great, it's great for the sport, but it's just not being talked about enough. Just that scholarship change is huge. I think that's part of the reason Kentucky has gotten things back on track a bit. And it will help them, you know, in these in these transfer portal battles. But at the end of the day, man, it's gonna be it's gonna be a big test. I genuinely like, I don't really have a good feel of what these baseball kids are able to pay. These guys, I just I'm sure just don't have a good feel. I think this will be a good learning curve for all of us to see what help they need. It will be a good message for everybody.
Speaker 4: Well whatever happens Aaron Gershaw and his pals that the cast Balls will be covering it. And you can follow Aaron on Twitter at a gersha in ninety nine. Thank you sir, and we'll talk to you next week anytime. And Aaron brings up a great point about the bidding war coming up. Yeah it's tampering, sure it is, but unless a coach calls a player, technically it's not tampering. But again we bring up to the eleven point seven. If you didn't know, you've got basketball teams with what thirteen skollies, women's basketball gets, fifteen, football eighty five whatever it is. Baseball forever has said eleven point seven scholarships. Now, if your school has programs involving grants where you can go out and get a kid with certain types of grant money, then you can. You could in the past, you know, add that to your recruiting budget. Basically, not every school can do that, and now and Kentucky did it somewhat, but not nearly as much as others. They weren't able to. But now you don't have to worry about that because the rules are changing the total number of scholaries. Baseball can be fully funded in terms of schollies. You got to cut down and do away with walk ons, but you've also got the nil dollars figuring in. So I know athletic administrators don't like to call it the wild West, but give me a better term and I'll use it. Our number two is Sean Woods and Gary Moore next done six thirty WLP.
Speaker 6: In any type set such statute anything.
Speaker 4: On welcome back to the Big Blue and Sider. Each Wednesday, we chavel our unforgettable guard Sean Woods. His jersey hangs in the rafters of rup And before we talk about high school and collegeball coach, we need to talk about the NBA. Your beloved Indiana Pacers will play for a championship, but one of the victims of their success is a fellow coach, Tibbs, the head coach Tom Thibodeau for the Knicks. He gets fired after coaching his team to fifty wins in their first appearance in the Eastern Conference Final in more than two decades. I know you're a Pacers fan, but as a professional coach man, you got a feel for that guy, don't you.
Speaker 1: I sure do. That's the nature of our business, especially in the NBA. I mean, you know, it's just I don't know, you know, these gms, and sometimes players can get tired of, you know, because I can see Tibbs, you know, who's a real stickler for defense and playing tough and things like that. You know, coaches nowadays, you know, saying they wear on guys like that, you know, especially at that level. I don't know if that's it or of the management things that he took him as far as he could take them, you know. I mean, look what they did at Dwayne Casey years ago at at Toronto, you know, coach of the year, and he got fired, you know, and Tim is one of the best coaches in the NBA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, I do remember reading though, when he coached the Bulls, and he, to your point, he kind of wore on the players, and you know, he can't fire all the players, so they fired the coach. But they weren't winning. I guess that's what's surprising. Generally, when you're winning, everybody's happy, of course, but when he got fired and I tweeted this, you know, and I've said this before, you're basically punishing somebody. Everybody's mad, and you got to punish somebody. And they're not going to punish the players because they all have contracts, so it's easier to punish the coach. Is that too simple?
Speaker 1: That's the that's the easiest way to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like you said, there's oftentimes more that goes on behind the scenes. But I think a lot of it too was they people complained, media fans, he didn't play enough people, meaning you know, his roster wasn't what it might have been, and that's front office stuff. So bringing it to your level college and high school, you know, you can't just rely on five or six guys. That's pretty obvious, right, right, So what do you do? What do you do as a coach. I mean, he's got to depend on a GM to go out and hire guys. But at your level high school, in college, how do you avoid that?
Speaker 1: I mean you got to develop that roster, right, I mean in high school it's nothing but development because you know, you're not supposed to recruit things like that, so you you're really just coaching what's coming in your hallways year and year out without any choice. And you got to you know, hopefully you get a good crop in, you know, and the stays that even flow. But that's not that's not or or or. You know, it'd be the same teams winning the state championship and.
Speaker 2: So on and so forth every year.
Speaker 1: So that's what that's the beauty of high school basketball. But then college you are in control for for for the most part, of who you bring in. You know, you're the guy who went out recruit, but you got to you know, it's so competitive. You got to beat other guys out for talent and hopefully you brought in more talent than they did, and then you can be able to do it. You know, that fits what you do as a coach, That allows you to be better than the other team even though they did recruit more talent or better talent than you. So it's kind of different. But as an NBA guy, you're stuck unless you the GM and the coach or you got a lot of school and and and decision making. You know, you you doing what you know. Sometimes a player show up and you don't even know that there was a trade man done until the player gets there. So you know that's that's a heck of a feeling right there, you know what I mean? Special got things going, yeah, and you know, yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 4: Speaking of roster development, you and I talked about this right after you got the job at Scott County High School. Your crosstown rival wins the state great crossing with the core of players, Sean, as you pointed out, who have been together since middle school, which anymore, it seemed like that used to be the case. Kids grew up, same neighborhood, same middle school, same AAU team all the way through high school. It seems like anymore that's not even possible, or they're just doing things differently. You've got so much movement now, and you covered high school basketball all year on TV side, and you saw teams that have, well this kid was at this school last year and the year before somewhere else. Uh do you think we'll ever get back to routinely seeing teams with the core of talent, of kids who have played together for most of their careers or has that gone forever?
Speaker 1: Eight things are right now, it's gonna be tough. I mean, look at Florida, who had you know, just come off a run final full run and you know their guy who probably is gonna be starting this year, who's a six man last year, left to come to Kentucky. Yeah, you know, I mean social media, you know, high dollar you know, it's it's changed the game, and you know, I don't know when it's gonna stop. You know what I'm saying. I mean, because these kids have so much leverage and so much freedom to either demand money or go search for it, and then they can leave with no nothing.
Speaker 4: And it's not quite the same in the high school ranks. But indirectly it is because well, if I can leave this team go to that team, I got a shout at the scholarship, you know, with nil benefits that maybe I don't get over here or is that too? Is that all simplifying or is that what's happening?
Speaker 1: Say it again now.
Speaker 4: They it seems like on the high school level you don't have nil directly. But what I'm thinking, what it looks like is kids might be thinking, well, I'm going to transfer even though I've been with this group for so long, because if I go to this school over here, maybe I get a scholarship and I can cash in, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean most of these kids now look at the state of Kentucky. People are running the prep schools now because prep schools are playing money. And then you get hooked up with an agent. I mean you got high school kids that have agents.
Speaker 4: Now, are you serious?
Speaker 1: Uh huh oh? Man, Like you know what I'm saying, that's going to prep school and things like that to have agent.
Speaker 4: Wow, I mean an agent, agent, not just a friend of the family or something like that.
Speaker 1: No agent, agent. They're going down to the high school ranks.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, yes, how do you deal with that man?
Speaker 4: As a head coach?
Speaker 1: How do you deal with it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean that's the land of land, you know what I mean, all these coaches got to deal with it. And what these college coaches are doing are hiring people to deal with this so they don't have to.
Speaker 2: Deal with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think back to when Cali Perry first got here and brought in John Wall DeMarcus Cousins, and the word was that, at least for Wall, Roy sweet ol' roy over North Carolina didn't want to deal with John Wall's people, and apparently Cali Perry was pretty good at that. You know, I mean is that happening everywhere now?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, because there's so many people involved with these kids, and everybody's got their hand out and demands. You know, these people are telling coaches how they want them to play their kid. You know what I'm saying, Like he you know, he's a pro, so he's got to get this many shots. You know, he's got to start, he's got to play these many minutes. You know, you got to make sure if he's a guard and you putting him in pick a roll situation so he can show the pros what he needs to do. You know, I'm sure like old way, you know, he went to the Combines and you know, got an evaluation of what he needs to work on us and improve his draft status. So what do you think he's gonna do when he comes back to Kentucky he wants to take you know, he's I'm sure his people told Mark this is what they're looking for, this is what he needs to be doing the show that he's worthy to build the NBA. You know what I'm saying, mid first round of late first round draft pick. So how is his mentality going to change when he comes back? You see what I'm saying. I gonna be the same old way, all bought in humble or is he gonna come in with a chip on the shoulder saying, you know, as a prima donna like you need me. You know, I played this good at the end of the year, So now I got to show these guys that I can do this and that. And it may be against what Mark is doing well.
Speaker 4: And as a guy, I'm sure And you've talked. You and I have talked at length about parents, not just after you got the head coaching job at Scott County. But you may have already heard from people, but I'm sure you probably will as a as a head coach at the high school level from parents who mean well. They all mean well, but you know they want their kid to be used the best possible way to show off their talents. How do you deal with that?
Speaker 1: I just tell them, Look, you know, with my experience, you know, being a college basketball coach, coming down to high school, I was the guy who was recruiting them, so I know what they're looking for.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 1: Two, you know my relationships with everybody in college basketball. You know, I can help you get to where you need to get to between on what level you are. And then three, we're going to work like a college you know, So you're going to be You're going to know what college basketball is all about from a from a working standpoint, you know what I mean. So that's what I bring to the table. And then you know, I've got you know, over twenty some guys playing professional basketball too, played in the NBA, So I think I know what I'm doing a little bit, and that gives me a little more credibility than most because I've been where they're trying to go.
Speaker 4: Is Shawn Woods. He is the unforgettable guard whose Jersey hangs and the raptors of RUP and the head coach at Scott County High School. We'll come back and talk more basketball in just a minute on the Big Blue Insider here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back. We're talking with Sean Woods, former Wildcat guard is Jersey hangs in the raptors of Rup, and of course he is the head coach at Scott County High School. We've been talking about roster development coaches being hired and fired and dealing with agents and parents and things like that, and you know, the fact that you've got that experience is so key. And I also wonder Sean, you and I have talked before about the fact that you are a terrific point guard in college, one of the better point guards in America really when you look at what Kentucky accomplished while you were there, and but as you pointed out, you were not a point guard in high school. You did what your team needed you to do to win. Will you share that or how much will you share that with kids? Because that I think that's a great parable.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Well, I much I'll share it every day, you know, and the style of play that I play, it's it allows everyone on my team to show that they can dribble, pass and shoot. Everybody's got to be a you know, be able to dribble, pass and shoot with me. So that's what we work on in individual workouts, you know, and player development because I don't have a seven footer, so everybody's a guard for the most part. So it's actually good for me because yeah, we may have a six two six y three center, but he's going to have guard tendencies to be able to you know, dribble pass and shoot, which allows my team to be more effective and more dangerous from a matchup situation because I can play five out and and everybody's a threat. So you know, that's why it's you know, it's so fun to play for me and watch our style of play because we play so fast and everybody will be able to dribble, pass and shoot, which allows us to play faster, more entertaining, and everybody's having a good time instead of going down there and one guy only can do this and one guy can only do that. I've never liked to coach that way, so you know, if you were a shooter, good, but most shooters don't play defense very much or they're not great ball hounds. Well, that's where the school of Rick Patino comes in to play the Billy Donovans and things like that. The individual workouts to improve your skill level. So that's when I'm big on and that's what I'm going to be doing while I'm high school coaching at Scott count of High School.
Speaker 4: Do you have the time to do the individual workouts? Because I know what it was like for you guys in college. Sometimes you had to report at six am and then go to class and come back to practice things like that. But what about at the high school of it, because you're right, individual workouts were so key for you guys.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we're doing it right now. We try to get up before school, get our workout in, and then come back after school. So I try to, you know, put in place as close as I can, simularize as close as I can what the college level is. And you know, we do our waits in the morning sometimes or wait till the afternoon, but we try to go at least before and after just to maximize, you know, because when they go to college, they're gonna have to do that, you know what I'm saying. You know, you got you got your individual workouts and waits before before you go to class, and then you know, you get out, you know, practice at three thirty four o'clock and you got practice, you know, and you know that's what that's that's what we're doing, you know right now, And I'm sure a lot of high school coaches are doing that. You know, that's the only way you can do it because from from eight fifty to three fifty, you know, they're in school unless you have them in a study hall or gym class or something like that that most of your players are in that you can get some stuff done that way too. So you know, there's ways of skin. There's plenty of ways of skin a cat. You just got to be creative.
Speaker 4: You played a system that people know that was just wall to wall defensive pressure. People don't realize that you guys probably pressed more than most of the teams that followed at Kentucky. In fact, Bettino's championship team did not press nearly as much as you guys because he didn't have to add so much talent there. You guys did it just to kind of cover for the fact that you didn't have a super deep, talented roster, but it worked. Will we see that? Will we see that at Scott County High School?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: You will, Yes, yes you will.
Speaker 4: Now, how are you getting them? You guys had to sell out, man, I mean, I know how hard it was on you. I don't know for sure. I didn't do it, but I heard stories. You know, how do you sell that to high school kids?
Speaker 1: Well, we're doing it right now, Dick. And it's hard. They're uncomfortable right now. God bless them. But when they when they get it, they're gonna understand. You know, you got it. In order to get somewhere you never been, you got to do things you've never done. And right now, that's that's where we are as a program. The program was so down when I took it over. You know, they only won six games last year. I'm around down. You know, the confidence is down. So right now, all I'm doing is building confidence, building a toughness from a mental standpoint, and and and really demanding them to play at a higher level than they've ever played before. And they're uncomfortable right now. They're struggling a little bit. But some of them are starting to get it and start to feel that they're getting better, and which that's what it's all about, you know what I mean. You know, you know, right now I'm the bad guy because you know, they I'm putting them in a situation they're not used to. But they'll see it in the long run, how how it's paid, how it's going to pay off, because they're you know, everybody's uncomfortable, you know what I mean. And the talent level is not where I want it to be right now, but it will be in a short amount of time. But you know, you just got to roll with what you got to roll with, and no matter who it is, Like I got that from Coach Patino, you got to figure out a way to maximize what you got. And we're not talented enough right now to just go head to head with somebody. We got to create pace, We got to create our whole deal to offset some of our deficiencies. And that's just to you know, speed the game up, money the game, pressure the basketball to create more more more possessions, uh, until we get some size in athleticism. So that's yeah, we're gonna play almost exactly the way. And you know, as well as I do. It's gonna be fun, it's gonna be nation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, with with with the talent rosters that we have, we're still gonna create, you know, keep teams uncomfortable. And that's all I can, you know, all we can do.
Speaker 4: Right now, I'll be making some trips to Georgetown to see that. I'll let you go with this. Uh, in terms of trying to convince, you know, coaching teaching these kids, uh, today's kids, as we all know, they're all about screen time, their phones, their iPads, their computers. Will you or have you already pulled up perhaps some Kentucky basketball from back in the shawn Woods era to show them, Look, we beat Shaquille and Eland l s U playing this way. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, I told the kid, I got a little point guard. He's gonna be a sophomore, and you know he's trying to find his way and he don't know how to take me yet. And sometimes you got to be sarcastic with these kids and tie them on the butt and things like that. So I called him Scott Skoules. He had no clue who Scott skous is.
Speaker 4: Oh well I could see that, and I.
Speaker 1: Said, well, go look him up. I said, go look him up, and then we'll talk about it tomorrow we'll.
Speaker 2: Come back to practice.
Speaker 1: So I'm looking forward to seeing him today a little bit of what he thought about Scott Skoules, and he's gonna be you know, I said, it's a compliment. It's not. It's I'm not you know, it's a compliment. And Scott Scouts was an Indiana guy, played at Plymouth High School. Beat Gary Roosevelt, who's you know, a big time athletic team out of Gary, Indiana. Uh, he beat him. They went on to Michigan State and did a thing in Michigan State and not Tey. He was to kill O'Neills for first point go out. When he got to orlandos right, played in pros.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then became a coach. So I want to hear the rest of that story next week. All right, Okay, all right, thanks coach, talk to you later.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Dick Sean Woods is our unforgettable guard. We talked to him each and every Wednesday scheduling permitted. And now, of course as the head coach at Scott County High School, so we'll keep an eye on those Cardinals. Western Bureau Chief Gary Moore is up next here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue and Cider. It is Wednesday, and that means we look to the west, to our Westen Bureau Chief Gary Moore was on the West coast for many, many years, too many KLOS Radio, too many, and now he's back in LA, the Louisville area and he checks in every week.
Speaker 7: Two guys in a six pack, you and me and six things to talk about, six swigs as they were, and a first dick.
Speaker 4: I will tell you that.
Speaker 7: Somewhere up there, Johnny Reagan is still smiling, smiling about what I Our hometown Murray State Racers capped off Monday night in Oxford.
Speaker 4: For the unfamiliar.
Speaker 7: Johnny Reagan was a head baseball coach at Murray State for thirty six years. He won eleven OVC Championships. He was chairman of the NCAA Baseball Committee, and is in the American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame, among many other halls. Full disclosure, though, my connection to the Racers runs deeper than just that geography. Coach Reagan's family and mine went to the same church and as an elementary and middle school punk. I rode my Stingray bike to many a Murray State game was bat boy for many a visiting team like let's see Purdue, Vandy, Brown, North Dakota and so on. The Racers were called then the Thoroughbreds. Yeah, in baseball, you remember that as long as coach Reagan was there. And for this year's Murray State team to reach its first ever Super Regional and to beat the likes of old miss in Georgia Tech to accomplish it, Dick, it feels like all those fields of dreams. I spent many an afternoon upon finally coming Game one Racers Duke Saturday afternoon in Durham one pm on ESPN U.
Speaker 4: First time I ever went to the College World Series was in nineteen eighty four. I was working down in Dallas, and I did not know anything about Johnny Reagan. I knew who he was, but I didn't know he was a wheel in college baseball. And he was sitting right there in the Primo seas he might have been the Baseball Committee chairman at the time, surrounded by all these people paying homage to him. I've talked to Keith Madison about Johnny Reagan many times, and yeah, he was the man for so long at Murray State. And I remember the first time I did at Murray State baseball game and I'm like, they made a mistake here. It's just Thoroughbreds. But yeah, for some reason he wanted him to be called the Thoroughbreds and not the racers. And yeah, I mean somewhere he's smiling, and Buddy, I've covered baseball at Ole Miss. To win a game there, oh, to win a regional there is mean football is first at Ole Miss, but baseball second, not basketball. It's tough. And they did it.
Speaker 7: And get this, Murray scored forty two runs in those four games in Oxford. They're just the tenth number four seed to ever reach a super regional. Pretty cool stuff.
Speaker 4: And beat UK earlier this year. Yeah, they did. Second, Swig and Dick.
Speaker 7: If you would have told me last week that Louisville would be hosting a super regional this weekend, you know, I don't think I would have been that surprised. I mean, we talked about it last week. They're pitching and left a lot to be desired going under the Vandy Regional. But you know, the Cards had already beaten Vandy, and I wasn't that worried about Wright State or East Tennessee. We knew they could hit. But check out the pitching stats from last weekend. Twenty seven innings from the starters or all the pitchers, and they just had ten hits, allowed, only four earned runs, forty three k's with a three to zero record. That's a kind of performance you definitely want this time of year. So starting Friday three o'clock ESPN two, it sold out Patterson Stadium, the Cards host of Miami and acc foe they did not play this year. The Canes are thirty four and twenty five overall, Cards are thirty eight and twenty one, but Louisville's twenty seven and seven at home, So give me the car Ds to reach their sixth trip to Omaha. Who do you like in this one?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, if they're pitching is up to snuff now. But here's the thing again. They played Kentucky twice. You know, I got a chance to eyeball them twice and Kentucky loses. Stop me if you've heard this one. A one run game, a walk off in the tent of Louisville. But that game is played in like sub thirty degree weather. When they played again, Kentucky beat Louisville seventeen to five, run ruled them, and I thought, what has happened to Louisville's pitching? And again you never can't quite tell with the midweek, But as you know, in the postseason, it's about everybody, not just the starters, it's the entire staff because comes down to pitching depth. And evidently Louisville got healthy, and I give him a real chance like you do. Third Swig.
Speaker 7: Then, of course, as you just mentioned, we've got your alma mater u ofk and mine Wku. Dick has been three days now, and that sting of blowing not one but two five run leads against West Virginia Sunday, it still hasn't really worn off for me. You score twelve runs, you gotta wine Murray prove that the next night. But you know, it's like you said, the same story you saw and you called all seasonally, this time losing the leads in the most heart wrenching form ever. Stats guru Corey Price tweeted Sunday night was UK's twelfth lost this season by just one skinny Measley run but you know, Nick had to replace practically every key member of last year's World Series team. So hats off for me anyway for even getting to the regional to begin with. So I ask you, now, what our priorities one, two, and three?
Speaker 4: Pitching?
Speaker 7: Pitching and more pitching, especially on the back end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's got to be. But the good news is that the best players for the most part on this team are the young guys. You know, your Tyler Bells, your Ryan Schwartzez, your Hudson Brown's, people like that. You know, I mentioned this earlier, but they're losing James McCoy, a veteran. He's in the portal, you know, which is not that surprising, but you know, he had his best year this year. So yeah, you got to have arms, there's no question about that, especially in the SEC. But when the house settlement comes down, you know, and then the scholarships are a little more spread out, Kentucky needs to get aggressive, and I think it will. But that's one thing minji On has done lately really well, is use the portal and build with parts and elements that he believes need to be landed for his style of play, you know, And you can argue and I go crazy when they make the third out of third base and that kind of stuff. But since he really changed the way he does business, they've known nothing but success forth Swig.
Speaker 7: You know, I've had a lot of people either email me or text or call, Hey, what happened to your toppers? Thought they were supposed to be so great?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 7: Look paraphrase coach John Wooden. Their pitching needed to be at its best when its best was needed, and it just was not. And that especially hurt considering Western was third the nation in ERA coming into Oxford. Their two best pitchers that gave up four and three runs in the first two innings respectively against Georgia Tech and Old Miss ended up losing nine to two and eight to six. It's hard to get in a hole that early in some of these games unless your Murray State just hit your way out of it. You know, they had no home runs in that game on Monday night when he scored twelve runs.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a side note.
Speaker 7: In the Conference USA Tournament, Western gave up nineteen runs in four games. I was well above their three point three five ERA, so some cracks were already appearing before they got to Oxford. But hey, hell of a season in BG right forty six wins, second most in school history. That they got their first ever Conference USA title, first trip back to the regionals since two thousand and nine, and the highest national ranking ever WKU baseball history. They were number seventeen the week of April twenty second. So the standard has been the set. But as you know, and Nick and the Batcats know all too well, it's hard to repeat these banner years back to back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially now with a portal being in place. And I got to think that there are gonna be some toppers who look around. There's inn al money out there. There's gonna be more scholar money, which will help Western Kentucky as much as anybody. But yeah, maybe baseball more than any sport, although that's hard to quantify. Feels the movement of these players, and yeah, that does break. It has brought some parody, but it has made the rich get richer at the expense of schools like Western Kentucky. But it's always fun when a school jumps up and as a like that.
Speaker 7: Fifth swig when more baseball note dick over the weekend in Los Angeles, the twenty twenty four World Series rematch happened, the Yankees and the Dodgers LA winning two out of three. And I can tell you from all the years covering the Boys in Blue out there, that Yankees ticket is always the hottest ticket any year for Dodger fans. So you'd think that that was the case again last weekend, right, Not so fast, my friend down the five Freeway in Anaheim, the Savannah Bananas sold out two nights at the Big A lowest ticket price on StubHub for a pair of tickets for the Bananas two hundred and nine dollars fifty two cents. How about a pair of Dodgers Yankees tickets lowest price won seventy one. Seventy two bananas were also given the Royal Disneyland treatment, marching down Main Street with Mickey Goofy and Donald Duck not the other done. In a great La Times story by Anthony Leon. Over the weekend, Banana's owner and ringmaster Jesse Cole, talked about going to Disney World when he was a kid and what that emotional experience did for him. He said, quote, our success is not judged by revenue. It's not judged by sales. It's judged by the moments we create. How do we make someone feel something unquote selling out stadiums that their regular tenants can't even sell out. Heals a lot of magic memories to me. And they got some sellout dates coming up here in Louisville in I think a few weeks.
Speaker 4: I just read a story about I think this was back in the sixties maybe or the late fifties when Phil Wrigley, who of course you know Wrigley Field, Rigley, Dumb and all that, but based in California, realized that within one hundred mile radiance of LA nine thousand softball teams, and a thousand of them were women's teams, and they incorporated those teams. They allowed them to use the old Wrigley Field out in LA back in the day and sold tickets and made a lot of money. I mean, yeah, I mean, I think southern California is the perfect venue or situations like that. You lived out there, you know what I'm saying. Sure, but you know the banana ball you can see on ESPN Plus now they got their own streaming network. It's incredibly entertaining. And I think I may have told you this before, but Kentucky had a picture on his staff. A guy from New Jersey, good dude, Alex Degan. He was a six foot eight, well it is six foot eight. Wanted to be an Air Force pilot too tall, so transferred to Kentucky from Air Force. And when he got out, or at least one summer, he played for the Bananas and he told me he enjoyed it. He said they want me back. I said, he going to go. He goes. I'm not much of a dancer, so you've really got to have all the skills set to be a banana.
Speaker 7: You know who came back, John Lackey, who is a two thousand and two World Series hero for the Angels, and he had a banana er he got, He pitched and got a guy out, but they gave him a huge ovation.
Speaker 4: Done nice.
Speaker 7: Let's see here a sixth and final swig. Okay, you can quote me on this. Anybody listening, make sure he gets this message.
Speaker 4: Message.
Speaker 7: Pat McAfee's a woos and a scaredy cat and a guy who just doesn't get it. Hard to believe McAfee took enough hits to the hit while he's on special teams in the NFL to affect his sanity for dissing who's your musical legend numero Uno, John Mellencamp.
Speaker 4: But it happened first.
Speaker 7: McAfee gets on the PA during that game four of the Pacers Nicks game in Indy, uses all this profane language to be rate the New York celebrities court side, causing all the fans to boo the visitors. Then Mellencamp took to social media to apologize quote on behalf of most Hoosiers for the poor behavior, calling it poor poor sportsmanship, not hoo's your hospitality, to which McAfee, who, by the way, John did not name as a culprit, but we all knew who it was. McAfee said on his Teen Boys show tell he told John to shut the f up and quote suck it, buddy, unquote. McAfee was invited to New York and Madison Square Garden for the series game five by Ben Stiller, who's one of the celebrities booed there at game four, but McAfee chickened out. Madison Square Garden, of course, is where many a snowflake like McAfee milks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But when you jump into a situation like this, especially with the Knicks, and New York fans, you're all the way in, whether you like it or not. And you would think that by now because McAfee the moment they put him on the air on ESPN, moved him from podcast to on air, and again it's cable, you know, immediately caught flak and you know they run that disclaimer on his TV show and things like that. So it's not like he doesn't know, not like he's not aware of things like this every now and then. You've got to think before you speak.
Speaker 7: Well, I guarantee you you know how conservative a state Indiana is. They're gonna side. You put McAfee and Mellencamp together, they're gonna side with Mellencamp.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah. And the thing is Melencamp, as you know, is not a guy who's somewhere out there and says, oh yeah, I'm from Indiana. Oh. He lives it. He does know. He's seen at Indiana games all the time. He's always on it. Yeah, Kentucky Indiana football games a long time ago. So yeah, you know, I'm a fan of a lot more than just his music. He's a tough guy.
Speaker 7: I don't know if Mackie knows what he's getting the ring with. But Mac John's a tough dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, beware. That is Gary Moore. He is our Western bureau chief. We'll come back with a couple of hot reads in just a minute here on the Big Boon Sider six thirty WLAP. Welcome back to the Big bon Sider. We're chatting with our Western Bureau chief, Gary Moore. We have heard two guys in the six back time for a couple of hot reds and Gary, a fun farewell to in rest in peace to Jim Marshall, who was a great, great NFL player back in the sixties and seventies yep, and was known for essentially two things, being an NFL iron Man yep. And going the wrong way with a fumble and returning his sixty six yards into his own end zone for a safety. You know he got the wrong way tag. NFL films ranked him in the two thousands as the second best player not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but Gary. When Brett farre broke the iron Man record for consecutive regular season games, he broke Jim Marshall's record. Not a QB, not a wide receiver, but a defensive Lineman two hundred and seventy consecutive regular season games, and you gotta wonder, will we ever see a guy like that again, a defender like that.
Speaker 7: Not playing that long, that's for sure. Think about that did not miss a game from nineteen sixty one to seventy nine. And you know that's when guys were really they're a lot dirtier, I think than they are now, getting away with lots more stuff. And like Richard Pryor said when we were talking about Jim Brown, you know Jim Brown never missed a game either, he said. Nowadays you got guys getting hurt in practice and.
Speaker 4: The purple people eaters.
Speaker 7: Do you remember Jim Marshall, Carl Eller, Alan Page, and then you had Gary Larson for a few years, and then Doug Sutherland came in after I think seventy four or something like that.
Speaker 4: But I love those guys.
Speaker 7: I loved watching That's amazing stat You'll never see that again.
Speaker 4: By the way, Marshall wasn't the original wrong Way guy. There was actually a player named Roy Regals, and he you know, became known as wrong Way Regals. In college, he played for the Cal Golden Bears. He returned a fumble into his own end zone, and after Marshall made his mistake, he sent Marshall a note that said, welcome to the club, but he needs to be remembered for a lot more than just that. Yeah, our second high rate. I mentioned this earlier. I went through the list of guys who were in the College Football Hall of Fame ballot, including Randall Cobb, who will get my vote. But well, you talk of had a tough, tough list from which to choose. However, I didn't know if it'll be this year or whenever, but I think it's got to be a no brainer for Mike Leach. Oh yeah, they waive the rule used to be a certain winning percentage for a coach. And of course he died suddenly, way too young. But here's a guy who thanks a lot to how Mummy revolutionized college football. Yeah, and you know, I don't care about wins and losses. That guy belonged to the Hall of Fame, no question.
Speaker 7: Look at his coaching tree, look at and I can't help but think about the success that Jaden Daniels has had at Washington because of Cliff Kingsbury, who was a Mike Leach player and part of that whole coaching tree. Mike Leach's teams that unranked teams beat eighteen ranked teams over the course of his year. I mean that besides all this stuff, and you covered him, you were there when he was doing great things with hal and you got to talk to the pirate. I mean, he's quite he's a fun individual as well. I think the percentage was six hundred and they lowered it down to five ninety five winning percentage, but he should have been in any way regardless of that. That's a crazy rule.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know, I kind of get it. But on the other hand, you know, you look at a guy like Rich Brooks. University of Oregon football is what it is because of Rich Brooks, right, you know, he stayed there and they gave him the time to build that program. They play on Rich Brooks field for crying out loud. But his one lost percentage isn't great because it took a while to build that program. And now if Oregon is not preseason top fifteen, there's something wrong. And that's because Rich Brooks did the groundwork, the dirty work, and they're all standing on his shoulders and a lot of people are standing on Mike Leach's shoulders right now. And when he died, I got Neil Price on the phone and I swapped stories with him. Now the Mississippi State playbo play voice, and he adored talking to Mike Leach is because they would talk about everything but football, both on and off the air. And we only got to know Mike a little bit when he was here. But I give how Mummy credit because he gave Leach the title offensive coordinator. Mike Leach never called a play that can help build a game plan, coach the quarterbacks, but how Mummy called the plays. But Mummy knew that the rest of the country media born would look at Mike Leach and sure enough, Gary, you might remember this. When Kentucky was on TV, cameras would always find Mike Leach in a press box like they do with all coordinators, right right, and you know there he is the offensive coordinator for this you know, air raid offense and all that. Now it was Mummy, but it helped Mike Leach move along. And when Oklahoma needed an OC, who did they hire Mike? I know? And what happened? They won a national title. Look at the body of work.
Speaker 7: Look how you just pointed it out with the hurry up, yeah, huddle kind of stuff. Yeah, go and get the defense back on their heels. A lot of people didn't want to change to that until they did. I see Nick Saban, see others that never liked that kind of stuff, you know. And then Chip Kelly you know, maxed it out as well with Oregon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, he belongs. He is Gary Moore. He is our west hamd BUA chief. We meet every week for a dose of six from Gary, and you can find him at.
Speaker 7: At nine five five Gary, same fabulous internet joint you're at.
Speaker 4: I'm at Big Blue Insider One. I got people paging me. I'm gonna have to let you go.
Speaker 7: I see it, erasers go, card see.
Speaker 4: It and I'll do it for now. Thanks to my guest Gary Moore, Aaron Gershawn Sean Woods that said good night from the garage in Lexington.
Speaker 1: Now the three two swung huh a pop Fowl's back here.
Speaker 6: How ow wow.
Speaker 4: It really hit me. I didn't know it was coming back that.
Speaker 3: Far stact tact the.
Speaker 6: Ship anything Canning letting down to Tim, don't do