Speaker 1: Stuck at home.
Speaker 2: And alone. You'd think I could have some fun on.
Speaker 1: My own, but not all. I thought if with Cecily and Stephanie, what's up, everybody, welcome to boord af It's me Stephanie Wilder Taylor, and I'm here with the beautiful Cecily Nobler.
Speaker 2: I just agree with that, super beautiful. Thank y'all. What if I pretended that you didn't think you were and I was successfully, stop you are. You're pretty?
Speaker 3: Look at this old look in the mirror. Go to a mirror right now, And I'm like, no, I'm fine. I don't think I'm not.
Speaker 2: No, I'm you are not ugly. Stop stop thinking that. That's ridiculous. You're so pretty.
Speaker 3: I had a little argument with a friend somewhat recently who we've had. We've had this argument before, and I don't try, don't try to guess who it is, Like, okay, you know, but I don't want to. But we had this little thing where we took a picture and then I was like, let me let me filter it a little bit, like not a lot. I don't do the filtering where you take out all the wrinkles and stuff, but I like to lighten it. A little and take the dark short a little bit, like not where it doesn't look like me, but just a little bit better, slightly better.
Speaker 2: I don't change my body.
Speaker 3: I don't change a lot, but sometimes I just want the light to be a little brighter before it.
Speaker 2: And so I was like, does this look okay? And my friend was like, my god, like you look how you look? Like what are you gonna do? Oh?
Speaker 3: It was so and I we got into this and I'm feeling like, okay, I don't even want to say I'm feeling sensitive, Like I'm always sensitive. I've been sensitive since I was like two years old. I have a stage mother. I'm a woman, you know, an older woman who like who is beauty?
Speaker 2: Always?
Speaker 3: Not that I'm beautiful, but like that's what you led with with my mother and with Texas and you know what I mean. And it's just and so we had this little thing and I go, you know, it would not kill you to give a compliment to your friend, Like that's what friends are for. We like build each other up. And my friend was like, you know what, You're right, and I need to work on that. But now it's just gonna be like, oh my god, you are like a model.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, okay, well you don't, and then you're gonna say you don't have to do that, and then she's gonna go, oh my god, you can't be satisfied. Wow, I'm sorry. I thought you asked me to give you more. You're like, yeah, but I just didn't want it to feel I don't want to feel forced. Oh okay, you don't want it to feel forced. Sorry, Sorry, I didn't give you compliments, right, Cecily. I mean, it really is so crazy though, to be like, oh, let me, do you think this is a cute picture? And it's just like, I mean, what are you gonna do? You like how you look like?
Speaker 3: It was insane. It's very Estyan. It's like did you take the Landmark Forum class or something like? Look, I just tell it like it is right, and I like it.
Speaker 2: Get out my god. I was literally Okay, I would have even forgotten that this could be a topic, but I don't, and I have to I have to think of carefully, like how to even bring this up. But I was at a I was at a meeting, a meeting of the minds of people that don't want to drink. Okay, st An Stan scientology was not an AA meeting, Okay, like, oh, I get it, sorry, be real, let's just tell it like it is. Anyway, afterwards, with a group of people hanging out other people that don't drink, and there was a woman there who, uh was very she was she was a older woman, you know, older than me, and because I'm also an older woman, but she's older than me, and she was very proud of the fact that she's from New York and people in New York are very she's I was like, yeah, you know, new York vibes, I go, but she's lived in LA and she's lived in New York, so but she was really proud of the fact that she's like from New York and she's from Long Island, even though island she didn't talk like that, but she was from Long Island. But anyway, I was like, yeah, you know, I love like there's a vibe of people that are from either coast, you know. And she was like, I said, it's sort of like a you know. She goes, yeah, we tell it like it is, we're blunt, and I was like, I mean, that wasn't what I was going for. And then I realized that you know these people that are super proud of the fact that they just tell like it is. And then she proceeded to be like kind of insulting, sort of cold. Yeah, but like I she had the whole vibe of like, yeah, that's who I am.
Speaker 3: Take it or live it, you know, I don't say what I said like your mom, like your mom. After she got off the phone with like your aunt, yeah, from this is who I am.
Speaker 2: Y's who I am. Yes, And then she was trying she was being political, and at first it was kind of a political that I could get behind, and we were sort of talking about like you know, the Trump and how terrible it is. But then she started she was like yeah, she just started talking about like immigrants and how like she was kind of anti She's like, yeah, we just don't need to have open borders. And I was like, okay, like I thought we were like together on this, but now we're not. But now you're really leaning into like what I just tell it like it is, you know.
Speaker 3: But also like here's the thing that bugs me about stuff like that, No, you're not saying that there should be open borders and then people should just fly Like no one's saying that that's the thing that I hate that gets like a talking point that is so twisted and not true.
Speaker 2: It makes me crazy. It just makes me absolutely crazy. It's like they just yes, she did a like the Democrats like want open borders, and I said, you know, just FYI like not trying to like, you know, start a thing at a at a thing. We were just at lunch, and I was like, but you know, Obama like deported more way more people than tell me. And then and then like that was especially so and then she was like, well they should have been more, uh had more visuals. Like my god. I was like, okay, hey, I was like, oh my god, it's been so nice talking to you. I was like, but I'm just going to go because we were at a long table. There were like, you know, twenty five people, and I was like, I'm gonna go. I haven't caught up with my other friend yet on the other side of the table. So I'm so nice talking to you. Good for you. I was like, I mean, not the time right for that. But it was that that thing of like super proud of like yeah, I'm just blunt okay, but that's not like not everybody likes that you're gonna find it.
Speaker 3: It's just a weird thing to say because I would never say this because I don't believe this, but I have. I actually, like, you know, I love the East Coast vib very much, like I totally feel like I belong there. And I said that many times through the years. Yes, and I do sort of don't. I don't want someone to be like, you look ugly. But my New York friends are Jersey friends. Like they don't say that because they're my friends. That's why I've chosen them, and we're all good like that. But sometimes when people say that stuff to me, like I'm in New Yorker, you don't fuck with this shit or whatever, I want to be like, well, I'm a Texan and so we're gonna like smile at you, but I do have a gun, Like I'm not gonna, I mean, if we're just gonna lean into whatever the thing is, I'm gonna be really nice to your face, but I am packing, so.
Speaker 2: So look out. Yeah, it's it's like I have a father. I have a little a complaint. Okay, So have you noticed how out of control Evite is these days? No, the problem with the Evite, the problem with the evite right now? Is that it's not You're not just inviting somebody to your event. Okay, Uh that's how it used to be. It was like, oh cool, it's like a paperless thing, like paper. You send them an evite and then they can say like yes or no, and you can go on there and you see your little who's going. But have you tried to like RSVP to something? Next time you get you have to RSVP to something, but no first of all, or you can put yes first. The evite is then immediately all over you to buy them a present. Oh I know. I saw I just went.
Speaker 3: I just rcp'd for a Christmas party and it was like Amazon, Yeah, it's link stams and I'm like, I'm not bringing al like this is they have like eighty five people.
Speaker 2: That come to this yeah present. Yes, it's not a registry and they don't want that. That's so weird.
Speaker 3: So let's just not use evite anymore. I think that's a goody six Like what are we doing?
Speaker 2: So I got an invite to somebody to a birthday party with a lot of people are invited, Oh my god, I want to Okay, they keep the list open because that's the only reason to do that, because I want to see who's coming. I think, so, I think there was I think the list was open. Okay, so this is somebody who I'm not friends with. It's just it's somebody that I know. I would say, I haven't laid eyes on them in person in like fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, I wait, Oh it's a birthday party. Okay, I I got invited to a Christmas party. Oh remember chip Chinery. That's a different one that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we all used to get invited to every Chip Chinery.
Speaker 3: Were still invited to that. Okay, maybe we'll go to that. Oh that's hilarious. Okay, And remember how we would always get in to Retta's pink party.
Speaker 2: I still get invited to that, you do. I don't think she had one this.
Speaker 3: Past year, or I'm off the list, but I think sometimes she skips. I usually make the cut on that one.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we got to go to the chip We got to go to that because was it not you? Who?
Speaker 3: Who was it? The hooked up in the bathroom of a Chip Chenery Christmas party?
Speaker 2: And we're gonna come back to evite but now probably our mutual friend.
Speaker 3: No I don't think it's who you're thinking. I think it's our other mutual friend.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I don't know exactly what happened, but somebody like randomly disappeared and I swear I think you were there. And then they came out all like flustered and they're like, I just blah blah blah, somebody in the bathroom. Oh my god, it was a little out of character. Actually it wasn't. It wasn't who you're thinking. So I don't know what the fuck anyway, interesting.
Speaker 2: So okay. So here's the thing about the Evite though, So okay, yes, you can go shopping if you're going to go. Also, Evite is very annoying. After the event. They just start you for pictures, like you're really going to take pictures, and then like, listen, I'm not a professional photographer. I'm not please upload all your photos that you No, fuck off Evite. I'm busy. But here's their new thing. So I had to rs vp'd no, and honestly, I RSVP'd no. Oh, by the way, this party is tonight. That's so funny. Oh shit, Okay, I'm not going. Ok And while we're at it, since this is bored af and we can we can talk about all the aspects of this. I was feeling, you know, when you get invited, anytime you get invited to something, everybody, this is human nature. You feel a little like a little obligated because you're like, well, they took they wanted to invite me, So now I feel like I have to have a reason to not leg But yes, but I had talked to this person. Though this is a little different because I talked to this person and they said, hey, I invited you. Okay, let me go back. When I first got the invite, it was up to my text, which is always so weird, and I I kind of ignored it because I swear to God. At first I thought it was an accident because I haven't seen this person so long. I was like, oh, I know they be thinking of me. You know of this person. I'm not friends that you're not friends with them, but you know of them. But anyway, so I was like, oh huh, And then I didn't answer, and then I got another thing from their assistant saying, hey, I sent you in evite. Did you get it? And I was like, oh, I got it, but I guess can you resend it? Because I don't know what happened to it, and she said sure, and then she resent it. Then I talked to the person. She was like, I invited you to my birthday and I was like, oh, okay, dying to know who this is.
Speaker 3: I know you can't tell me this, but you will tell me off air, but like I really am sight like is it a famous person?
Speaker 2: No, they're not really famous. Here. I'm going to text it to you just so just to put you out. I know it's going to Yeah, it's gonna bug me. Okay, I'm sending it to you right now. Yeah, okay, I got it. Got it. So, so when she was talking to me and she was like, oh, I would love for you to come to this to my party, and I was like, I said, well, will I know anybody there? Like, I don't think I know any of your friends? And she was like, oh, I think you'll know like a few people, And in my mind I'm like, no, I won't. I'm only going to know her, and if I do know anybody, it's not going to be like a friend of mine. Right. So then I thought about it and I felt guilty because she invited me and was like, I really want you to come. I'd love to see you. And then just the other day, I've been going through some stuff. You know, I just lost my sweet Penelope, Penelope Pie, and I was like, you know what, I'm not going to I'm not going to a party the next night of somebody I don't know and don't want to go to. Absolutely not. And then I just was like be brave at RSVP no because I think I had RSVP'd maybe I met her inner New York and be like no, yes, like yeah from the meeting. So I wrote no, and I and I just sent it. So I get a thing back today six hours ago. Can't make it to blah blah blah's birthday party. We heard you can't make it to blah blah Blah's birthday party. Just because you won't be there in person doesn't mean you can't still send a little love that's sucking a little something from the heart. And then I got the Amazon and then and then under that, so it gives you Amazon shop now. So I'm wondering if there's if this is going to lead to a registry, and I'm going to click on it and tell you momentarily, but below that it says, everyone loves a gift card. Go fuck yourself, Go fuck yourself. Everyone loves a gift card. Fuck off, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Getting a gift cardnoxious. That is insanity. Yeah, that's absolute fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, is there a registry person doesn't need? No, I looked at it. I clicked on it and it says gift shop. And then I's just doing that ye shot by occasion, birthdays, new home, baby shower. No, no, she's not doing it. And Evite is pushing it. But it's like, stop forcing this consumerism that nobody asked for.
Speaker 3: Just because they have a deal with Amazon. Everything's one big fucking corporation. I finally get it, and I'm going to tell you something else. This right here, right now, we're going to break some news for us. Because we've been doing this show for a really long time. I have finally come around. What's today it is when we're recording this, it's November twenty second.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is the day that Kennedy died nineteen sixty three. Yeah. Oh, shape, Like I don't get it.
Speaker 3: Happy birthday Kennedy And you're like, no, no, no, that's not a birthday.
Speaker 2: Died opposite Yeah, terrible. Uh, I think that, Yeah, I get Okay.
Speaker 3: It's not that I didn't like him before, but now I totally get Bernie. It took me to this year to fully understand and appreciate Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 2: I thought we always liked him. We just didn't like the people that like him too much. We don't like Well, there's that.
Speaker 3: But I also was such a I was such a Hillary person, and I was so upset that I felt like he derailed some of that. But now as I've gotten older and life has gone on and gotten and there's a lot a couple other reasons, like he's very in bed with like the NRA. You know, he's kind of like wouldn't give up the guns because Vermont and all that. There's some stuff that I didn't like, love love, But now when I hear him speak, I like, I feel like it's just.
Speaker 2: A warm blanket around my shoulders.
Speaker 3: It's like a safe, like oh my god, like yeah, it is billions, the billionaires and the billionaires in the corporate like not that I didn't get it before, but I used to sort of think, like, oh my god, this is just how the world works.
Speaker 2: This is just our country. It's always been this like get over it, stop with this. Now, I get it. It took me a really long time, and I like, I get it, I understand, I get it, and I really and yeah, like it's not that I didn't like Bernie as it as a human, I mean, he was on the good side of things right for the most part, but like I just was sort of like, oh, you're being crazy now, and you know, yeah, the Bernie bros.
Speaker 3: Are the killery people and all that. It got confusing. But now I'm like, hmmm mm hmm. We need him on that wall. We do, we do, really do. We need someone younger on that wall. But that's very so that's guided by him, and that is just that we.
Speaker 2: Don't even get political on this show, but.
Speaker 3: We're eve got us there with their bullshit corporation nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, I have one more thing. Do you want me to do do another thing? Or do you do you want to get to your story?
Speaker 3: Okay, well I'll tell you this really quick because it's good's I mean, well, you can whatever you want, whatever you'd like, all right, I'll I'll.
Speaker 2: Just do one more thing and then I'll be done, and then I'll just be on the receiving end of your stories and build on them. Don't think I'm I'm going to build on them. Okay, it's just a Remember I told you I had a song lyric thing for you. Yes, yeah, so I want to I want to bring up this song lyric thing. And I went and looked at it and brought up the lyrics to look at so we could talk about it. And I realized it's the shortest song, like it is such a dumb ass song and it only has like one one real verse. But I think you're gonna like this. Okay, so this is bread. Do you remember? This is from the seventies and the song is I want to make it with you? Remember this?
Speaker 3: Don't remember this because I think sort of a blind spoty.
Speaker 2: Have you ever tried really reaching out? All the other said, do you remember the song? Nope? Okay, keep going on, maybe climbing on rain mos. But baby here goes. And then there's another Oh it's called a pre chorus. But the chorus is I want to make it with you. Okay, I want to make it with you love. Yes, yes, I want to make it with you means I want to fuck you. And it's so it's such a gross song and I just want to I just want to talk through this beginning lyric, Hey have you ever tried really reach out for the other side? What does that mean? A person who died, like reaching out for the other side of what? And it kind of this next line sort of goes towards that, like I may be climbing on rainbows, so that means like, hey, this probably won't happen because you've already passed on to the other side. I know.
Speaker 3: I think what it is is like this guy is trying to be like, I'm just an everyday guy. I'm just I just live in a studio apartment, and you're like a princess, You're the uptown girl. I think it's what they're saying, like would you reach out like I'm a mechanic, I'm over here doing this, I'm over here, hey, yeah, island or he's like some kind of hippie like I'm sliding around on rainbows and I know you don't like that. You've got your feet on the ground and you in your super princessy townhouse or whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, well the pre courus is dreams. They're for those who sleep and life is for us to keep. And if you're wondering what this is leading to, Yes, I want to make it with you. I really think we could make it girl. Okay, then okay, trying to get money from her. He wants to borrow money. I don't even think it's have sex.
Speaker 3: I think he's like, I'd like a loan, please, so we can start that business idea that I had.
Speaker 2: I think you could be onto something. Because here's a verse two and this is this is it. These are the only other original lyrics. No, you don't know me, Well, okay, so you met somebody, so this is all that kind of free love, like you don't really know this person, but you kind of sniff out the money situation, right and you're just the guy. You're just a guy, and.
Speaker 3: She's I have a dry cleaning business and we could put both our names on it is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And he says, and every little thing, only time will tell what what does that even mean? If you believe the things that I do and we'll see it through. First of all, why the and it just should be if you believe the things that I do, we'll see it through. It shouldn't be if you believe the things that I do and we'll see it. What does that even mean? It's totally a business trendsit. I mean that is what it is. Like. I want to make it with you. I want to make it big. We got this. I want to be your manager. But also I may want to have sex with you with no strings. Maybe I get because life can be shorter long, and love can be right or wrong. That makes no sense. He's going against his own Oh love can be right or wrong. Okay, so this is the only other part that's different. So this is the second pre chorus is the one I just said life can be shorter long, which means like, hey, it's life is short. Let's just like have sex and give me money. Because then he says love can be right or wrong, meaning like I don't know you might be married already. I'm not worried about that. And if I chose the one, I'd like to help me through. So please support my business. Please, yes, please invest in my dry cleaning business, and I will put your name on it, even though I'll say I'm putting your name on it. But let's not get business.
Speaker 3: We'll leave your name on the loan. But maybe not on the like sidewalk right unless you want to do.
Speaker 2: Not on the building, and not on the actual legal paperwork, not on the deed, you know what I mean, just on the loan that you take for me.
Speaker 3: He's one of those certain bands that just like slipped the sub blind spot because I was too young or if my dad wasn't into it when I was in this, you know, like a child right then, I I just didn't know it's we were really it was Dolly and Willie and the Little to Beat, Like I knew the classics, but there was like some seventies hippie shit that like really upset my dad.
Speaker 2: Really like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah he was. He was a cool dude, but he was He did not like hip. He didn't like that kind of shit. He was like, I don't understand why people don't just.
Speaker 2: Work like he was a little bit that, you know what I mean, people just sit around making love all the time.
Speaker 3: Why don't you get a job, make a job, and which I sort of became too like like a little bit.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh my god, everybody's just gonna have sex all day and it is.
Speaker 3: My dad didn't really drink. He never did drugs. It was I have no idea how my parents got together. My mom loved all the drugs, so like, I think I told you that one time where he was very, very square and I was too. And then I went to college and then I like let loose, like freshman year of college, like I would just I was so excited to be wild and totally different that I would like send pig. I would show pictures on Christmas break like this is me with Long Island iced tea. Can you believe it? And I remember my dad took me aside. He was like, do not become lack your mother.
Speaker 2: I was like very upset about it because I was like, I feel like I don't do anything fun.
Speaker 3: I didn't even have sex until I was like a junior. Like, I believe me, I'm the most controlled person, so like, let me have fun at a frat party.
Speaker 2: So I just felt like I was caught between two worlds. I think I landed somewhere sort of in the middle. I think I just sort of was like I can have fun within.
Speaker 3: You know, reason, But I'm all there's always that extra voice that's like I don't do that, don't not do much.
Speaker 2: That's probably interesting.
Speaker 3: It's totally good, I guess, but sometimes I just want to somebody just want to do mushrooms and sit on a mountain, but you have I have done that. I didn't sit on a mountain, but I did take a walk around Hollywood. Same thing, yeah, same idea. Trash, mountain, trees, garbage cans, ebbs.
Speaker 2: I feel like you went to you. I think one of your mushroom trips was like you were in nature.
Speaker 3: I've had a couple. I've had a few, and they were all wonderful. It really didn't matter. In fact, the better one was sort of Hollywood with like trash. The one that I didn't enjoy was at the beach. Yeah, the beach, That's what I didn't like that one. But I think it's it's depending on what your mood is.
Speaker 2: Witnesses. I don't think i'd be kid. Yeah, you're like, it just depends on the quality of the drugs. You know, if it's good meth, then that's like a right, you know, if it's good mouth your teeth only sort of crumble. Yeah, god, uh that's crazy bread. What other? What was their biggest song? What would I? I know the band? I just can't uh, their biggest song was Oh my God, Uh, hold on, really it's hat Jude. I'm like, I don't think so read band uh songs. Hold on I because I'm forgetting their very biggest hit, Oh Everything I Own, See Everything I Own is alone from you Own True. No, that's a different song. No, that's a different song. I was thinking of a Linda Ronstadt song, I Love Baby, I'm want you baby, I'm a meed do you You're the only one to care about you know? That song?
Speaker 3: Kind of again, the Little blind Spot I love though. I think I'm gonna love you for a long time, a long long time. That's not used to listen for. I know that one was just oh I thought you were saying. The other one was London.
Speaker 2: Okay, go when you have a story. I have a kind of a crazy story, So I go.
Speaker 3: I get invited by speaking of corporations, cair Amount Studios invited. You know, I'm in the critics thing, and we get to go to these like little parties, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't often go. I've been.
Speaker 3: I've been going a little this year, but I know the ones that I want to go to that are going to be too crowded, and the ones to go to like the George Clooney when I told you about last week, which is super fun. So this week on Thursday night, actually it was crazy. I'm like, I'm gonna fucking go to this. They had a little cocktail party at the London Hotel just in West Hollywood and went with my friend and it was too It was for the movie because they're trying to get awards, like nominations, you know, for the movie roof Man with Channing Tatum terristin duns Okay. So we're there and it was really good, like shrimp, like very nicely catered, special cock tit. I mean, I like that kind of shit. And it wasn't that crowded because it's raining and Channing Tatum comes in and it's he's supposed to be there, but there weren't that many people there.
Speaker 2: So we're excited.
Speaker 3: And usually how it works is the publicist brings the stars q one unquote around to the CIA, you know, our group and introduces like it's a very civilized thing. They'll be like, this is Cecily Nobler life from Hollywood Radio. This is Channing you know, Like that's usually how they do it. It's the best way to do it. They didn't do that this time. So Channing comes in and some scraggly people. I'm not gonna lie. Some of the people there, I don't know who they were invited through, but they some of them seemed like Papa rots. I don't know what the fuck was going on. But they descend. And this happens at premieeres. You've been to premiers, Like a star walks in and the whole room just moves like a black hole to that star, you know, it just collapses. So it's doing and I'm like embarrassed. For some reason, I get it in my head that I'm like, we're channing. This is just it's ridiculous. This town we live in, this industry.
Speaker 2: It's so stupid. It's just ridiculous, you know, so stupid. And I was even going to say, like, it's so pathetic for like Los Angeles. You think they would hear, you would think it's so people would be like, yes, we see celebrities at like seven eleven. It does we don't need to like assault them.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I'm like, okay with my friend, I'm like, let's just stay over here. If it come, If it happens, it happens. If he comes around, we'll say hi, and then if not, like, I'm not going to stand in line.
Speaker 2: I'm this just so weird. So eventually that does happen, and he's sort of shaking hands. Everybody's going up to him, and then he turns around to me and he's like, hi, sweetheart or something like that. It was sweet.
Speaker 3: I like that Texas, I like a little peachey and he's like hello, and he you know, shakes my hand, and I wasn't even like, you know, trying that hard, so it felt really good and I was like hi. And then all I could think, because I'm so in my head, all I was like, I tried to make a joke, so I go, do you know all these people like obviously that's a joke, and he goes, oh, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know. I don't know that.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh no no. I was told I go no, no, no. I was totally kidding, like of course you wouldn't, I mean, And I didn't then want to make fun of all the like scraggly people, because not all of them were some were just journalists whatever. But I was like no, no, no, I I was just kidding. I just was sort of noting how crazy this is. I was like, is this exhausting for you? Like is it weird? And he and he stayed first of all, so cute, so nice, and he was just like, it's not really exhausting.
Speaker 2: It's just a matter of how long you do it.
Speaker 3: It's like I can do things for kind of spurts at a time, and then I get kind of drained.
Speaker 2: But he's like, I love meeting.
Speaker 3: He goes, I know a lot of the people from junkets over the years, and I love it, Like this is part of the job and it's.
Speaker 2: Actually really interesting for me to meet people. And he's like, and I used to just like build, how you know, nail? What did he say?
Speaker 3: I would nail, like put nails and boards in Florida at one point in the hot sun.
Speaker 2: He's like, this is pretty easy.
Speaker 3: Like he was he kind of kind of like really perfectly put into words what I was trying to say.
Speaker 2: But he did it in such a kind way, do you know what I mean? Like I'm making fun.
Speaker 3: Of the whole industry, and he's like kind of fun and actually I'm really appreciated.
Speaker 2: So way that's nice. I know, he was so cute. And then he was like, do you want to take a picture, and he held the picture for so long because I was like, okay, oh my teeth looked weird in that one.
Speaker 3: He goes, let's do one. We'll do one with teeth, one with no teeth, one with flash. Like he was the one guiding it. He wasn't like, oh my god, let's get it really done.
Speaker 2: I felt.
Speaker 3: I started feeling self conscious because we kept taught. We were talking about like movies we like this year, and then people were swarming around us.
Speaker 2: It was so weird. It's like when you're talking to a celebrity. That's what it feels like to be that celebrity because every all eyes are on you, you know, right. So I started getting.
Speaker 3: Self conscious and I was like, oh, I don't want to hold you whatever, and he's like, you're good, don't You're good?
Speaker 2: Like You're like I don't want to hold You're like.
Speaker 3: I do want to hold you, yes, I mean I wanted a magic mic the fuck out of me right now? Did you take your like, listen, it's been awesome that you're so cool, But what about a dance?
Speaker 2: How about a dance.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we got a really cute photo and it's not that great of a story, but it was just funny because my neurosis was on such high alert about his feelings when I was just completely projecting them, and he's like, it's all good, like this is this is a fun way to spend a couple hours, right, Like you have pain in your hand, like.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it's just like you're you're okay, and we're all okay, and I'm like, I'm not okay.
Speaker 2: What if I just started crying. I'm not okay, Channing You're okay, but I'm not. I have some stuff going on. I mean that is kind of what it felt like. Like I was just like, well, yeah, I mean but but then you think, like he's got stuff going on too.
Speaker 3: He could we don't know what his leg you know, he goes through breakups just like everybody else. He loses people in his pami, you know, like he's just a human being going to work that makes money, doing a fun thing for sure, but he just and you know that, I'm very big on not like praising someone for just being a decent person just because they're famous, Because I hate that.
Speaker 2: It's like he was amazing just because he was nice. But he was really nice, so I want to give that to him, because they're not always and his was like super genuine. Have we heard bad things about him? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think there was some not a great like end of marriage type thing, but I think that there's going to be a lot of ex wives and husbands, and in fact, I almost everyone I know that's been divorced that's had a shitty thing to say about an axe, So I don't.
Speaker 2: Think it's not. But anyway, that was my little, my little weird Thursday. That's sweet. Were there any other stars there? Kirsten Dunst was there, but I couldn't.
Speaker 3: She was she was swarmed too, and she kind of stayed in one place and and it was just hard to get to but she looked really pretty and really all she was very good in the movie. And I would have said that, but what I really wanted to say is your husband is so fucking amazing, but that would be that feel bad, like you're here.
Speaker 2: For my movie. Who's her husband?
Speaker 3: Her husband is Jesse Plemmons, who's just like, yeah, I have control talented. She's good she's like an she's like a B plus and he's like an A plus.
Speaker 2: Doesn't he remind you a lot of uh Seymour Hoffman.
Speaker 3: Oh, Phillip Simmerhaf, I know, I get more of like a maybe Philip Seimura Hoffman and Matt Damon had.
Speaker 2: Like a little baby, a little baby. Remember when that used to be people's stand up. I'm like, if Travolta and Pee Wee Herman got together and had a baby. My god, do you ever like when people, I mean, early days of stand up? There was there's a woman who Okay, so this woman was married to a friend of mine. So I'm not I'm not remember, I'm not making fun of her. Judy Carter. Yeah, oh yeah, oh god. So Judya Carter was married for a long time. I went to her wedding actually about this, wow, yeah, to a friend of I mean, I won't really say my friend because she's not really my friend, but she was John's John worked for her. This woman named Gina. She has the acting book or the comedy book or is that Judy to you? I know that you know that's Judy. That's Judy Carter. So Judy Carter had that and that's which is what I'm saying. Because so she wrote this book that was basically the the Comedy Bible. I think she might have called it the Comedy Bible. She had a lot of comedy jokes, like people got their jokes in there. No, that was Judy Brown was the Aspen Lady. Judy Brown's also a manager, and she wrote a book that had all these people's jokes in it. Okay, got it, got it. It was like some comedy Bible, Yes, but this is different. This was I'll tell you the Comedy Bible book by Judy Carter. Uh. I mean maybe she also did a book with but anyway, her main book was this one that was how to do stand up comedy basically, and everybody and people took her classes and the opening thing was I know what you're thinking. So that was the thing that people and it was there were be either like I look like if this person, this person had a baby. And it was so sad because around the time that, like I started, everybody opened their act that way and it was so hack and half the time it would just be so forced too, because you'd be like, what, no, you don't look like if yes, are you used to when you wrote this joke fifteen years ago. Maybe that'd be like me.
Speaker 3: Going on stage and be like, I know, alanis I see it?
Speaker 2: I got it? Calm down, Yes, yeah, we talked about that. The other thing that I hated.
Speaker 3: There's a comic that we both know. I mean, I don't know if that's this this woman used to go up And I don't want to make it too specific, but I always hated it. Be like my dad's Mexican and my mom's Swedish, so that.
Speaker 2: Means I have like a really clean you know, it was just some.
Speaker 3: Bullshit stereotype, two things put together and it just and she wasn't kidding, like she wasn't being anti comedy. It was like for real joke, Oh my god, Like remember how I told you I wanted to mine be like, ugh, my mom's blah, my dad's Polish, which means most of my family perished in Auschwitz.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what else? Like just really specific to my life and not wait what my mom's from the Ukraine?
Speaker 3: My dad was Polish, so it means they were in a shuttle together and they were probably relatives. AnyWho, what else is in the news?
Speaker 2: What? But hold on? I found this book that you're talking about. It's called Soup Judy Brown. It's joke Soup, twelve hundred and seventeen of the funniest jokes from the best comedians. It because in this outstanding comical volume. And I do remember that so many of us were like, why are my jokes in there? I know, yeah, are jokes from some of the world's funniest contemporary comedians as well as the old favorites, are gathered together to create one gigantic LaughFest. The jokes and one liners are rain according to subject, so it doubles as both the freshest joke book for fans and as a must have reference for cutting edge jokes. Oh my god, Okay, flip to okay, don't I'm gonna choose a wait. Do you have the book and you see the whole thing? Oh, because I was going to say, like, flip to page eight. See. No, I don't have the book. But it has nine ratings on Goodreads and one review, and it's got out of five stars. It has two point seven eight stars.
Speaker 3: Somebody was mad, that could be You never know how that can go. You never know who's mad at you.
Speaker 2: There's that is one review. And it's clearly from a comic because like the thumbnail, like is a person holding a mic and it just says it's three stars, which I've never understood reviewing something. If you're going to get the com stars, you gave it three stars. Like what if it's one of the comics that's jokes is in there three stars?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not giving it five. Sorry, it's just not that good. It's just it's just a collection of nonsense, this person writes. I've read one other of her books. These are good joke books, like how they are organized by topic. I picked this up for five bucks at a US store and it was worth it. Maybe find about two out of ten jokes that are killer. But that's on par for jokes. We don't all laugh at the same things, now, do we.
Speaker 1: Also?
Speaker 3: I don't believe in jokes in the written form. I don't think that you can. They don't read the same if you don't have the comedians saying them. It's like Norm McDonald, if you read the Norm McDonald joke as on on a piece of paper, you're not going to laugh the same way as you are if he's saying it right.
Speaker 2: I saw him. There was a thing making the rounds.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is gonna be a little edgy, so I don't want people to get mad.
Speaker 2: But he could.
Speaker 3: So this was making the rounds. He Norm went, God, you know what I sent it to someone? Maybe, Oh I can't play it.
Speaker 2: Damn it. I can't play it for you because you won't hear it. Why just tell it to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, but it's not going to be as funny if I say it. Then when he said it, but he so Norm went on Larry King live right mm hmm, and he goes, is there anything that you wouldn't want the world to like know about you? Like, are there any things whatever? And he was like, well, you mean like like that. I'm in the closet and Larry's like, wait, are you coming out? And he was like, no, that would be the thing I wouldn't want people to know. You just said were the things And he's like wait, So Larry King was not really getting it, and he's like, wait, so are you saying And he's like, no judgment here, but are you saying that you're gay? And he's like, oh, Larry, I'm saying that would be the thing that I wouldn't want to talk about He's like, I'm not.
Speaker 2: It was so fucking.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, and it took finally when Larry got that he was just being absurd, you know, he finally and then like Norm kind of gave him like a little wink, you know, like the impish wink but Larry, and then Larry started laughing. I mean he got he but he didn't understand at first what was happening.
Speaker 2: That's our Larry. It's just that's our Larry King. But no, but Norm just as quick. I mean, this is so early Borday f days. But remember when you wouldn't you didn't want me to go out with Norm. It didn't matter because he never called.
Speaker 3: But I called you from a thing and he'd asked for my number and he asked me out and I called you immediately, and you were like, under no circumstances.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? Yes, You're like you cannot go, and.
Speaker 3: You're like he's crazy, and I go, I don't care, you know, I like that, and you're like no, we're talking like Urine in Jars crazy And I was like, I don't care. I think I told you, okay, I won't go out with him. And then he just didn't call, so it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: Which because you were like, well, I won't go out with him unless he calls.
Speaker 3: Unless he calls immediately at any time, and it could be within years. I get a five year period from now into five years from now that he's allowed to call, or ten years.
Speaker 2: But he didn't. It was I was so excited. I was like, oh my god, this is so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Was like two thousand and five, I want to say two four thou five, and you're like no. He was a strange guy, I know, but he was charming. He was cute back then too, Like he was cute, you could just.
Speaker 2: Cute, tall, dark, He was very funny. My favorite thing about Norm, which I've always told you, is that he just didn't He had this I don't give a fuck attitude. So he would do a joke. He would always leave on a down note. Yes, so he would do it. He would never almost every comedian, I've never heard of a comedian that would just be fine getting off like between jokes. He loved it. Usually loved Yeah. He'd be like good night, and you're like it. You know, it's funny that you say that.
Speaker 3: I meant to tell you this and then we'll go but this, this is interest, this is new. We've really no, it's all been pretty new today. Good for as we work hard. But I was what, you know, I love the podcast Fly on the Fly on the Wall, Fly on the Wall with David Spade and Dana Carbian. They don't give a fuck and they have mostly us and it well and they so they had Louis c.
Speaker 2: K on not too long ago, and I was like, I got to see what he has to say.
Speaker 3: First off, Louis is one of those guys that sits around at a comedy club and really wants to talk about the craftsmanship of joke writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's really fucking annoying. He's annoying. He's already annoying for reasons that we know, but also.
Speaker 3: Just watching him just like like what's the word where you're just like, oh, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, oh my god.
Speaker 3: He told a story about how he was I guess he was writing on SNL maybe I guess, yes, years ago. Yeah, and he told a story because he's like, I always wanted to thank you. The story was a compliment to himself. So he's like, Dana, I remember writing this story when you were doing some impression. Whatever the impression was.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was of like like some newscaster or whatever, like announcing that someone had died. Okay, So the joke was like so and so like da and then he was like and then there's a beat, and then you here's this another part of the joke, right, like Dana Carvey didn't already know that. So he goes, you came up to me and you killed both jokes. You did the first thing, you waited like I told you to, and then you've got a second, big laugh. And you came up to me that night and you were like, thanks for the second laugh. Awesome. So he's giving.
Speaker 3: Himself a compliment. You can's being nice and he's like, oh cool, buddy, I'm glad that I gave you a compliment. I mean, it was just so weird. And it pans over to David Spade because the show is, you know, on YouTube, and David Spade, who's also an asshole, could not be bothered to even be in this conversation. So I don't know if it's because he's embarrassed that Louie's there, I don't. I doubt it, but I don't know or if he's just so fucking checked out. But he's like he just kept David Spade just kept going, yeah, cool compliments, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, I don't even know who to root for in this moment. I love those two guys, not Louis, but I love you know, I love that show. But I'm sort of like, is David just totally checked out? Or are we loving how sarcastic and dry he is that kind of fun too, because it's kind of sexy and fun too, right, Not that has to be sexy. We don't have to have sex with everyone's cecily. You don't have to suck to everyone. That's funny. Don't know, but like I don't know. I just thought it was just funny.
Speaker 3: I'll send I'll send you the clip because it was just so noxious.
Speaker 2: I want to see it.
Speaker 3: The Craftsman and I and I really wrote a great joke and I really believe in not thank you Dana for like telling me how much you love my joke I need. And then he had he also lastly, he had a David's story because I guess he was auditioning for something else. Oh he was, Yeah, he was auditioning for something and he had to do a showcase and John Stewart was the host, and he was like, oh, they made us. Yeah, I had to go on first. It was like all these amazing comics and I had to go on first. And so the people that were supposed to be there to watch him. I think it was snl to be like on the show because the people that were there to watch him hadn't shown up yet. So John Stewart did like twenty extra minutes trying to buy him time so that they would be in the room when he auditioned, and he was like, sorry, dude, I got to put you up, and he's like okay. So while he was up, the people piled in, all the people that were supposed to be watching them, and they were kind of talking and not even listening to him. And then he said he heard David Spade go, oh, you got to listen to this guy. You got to listen to this guy. He's amazing.
Speaker 2: So another compliment to himself, but.
Speaker 3: In the showy yeah, so again, and so again Spade was like cool, like he's what are you even talking about? So then he goes and so I didn't get it. I get a call the next day that I didn't get the job, but they said, we love this guy.
Speaker 2: He's good for Conan.
Speaker 3: That's how I got Conan, which, by the way, he drove everyone crazy on Conan. As talented as Louis was, he was also a dick in the writer's room, and obviously people know about that.
Speaker 2: I'm not breaking ground here. Oh he was a dick.
Speaker 3: And anyway, I just thought that was funny because everyone's like, cool, cool, cool story, bro what else?
Speaker 2: It was so weird. I'm like, why are you even doing this podcast if you don't care? Because he's so used to like holding court with medians that when he's on with people that are bigger than he is, that really prop we don't care that much. It's probably kind of surprising to him.
Speaker 3: That's a really really good point he did. I saw him on THEO Vaughn as well. Uh, and he was just a THEO was just hanging on every word.
Speaker 2: Like yes, write more, yes.
Speaker 3: Like okay, everybody calmed up, Please don't say the word craft anyway. I think that's I think we got it all in there.
Speaker 2: I think we did. I think we can say hello to our friends, yes please, like Carlin Bastion. Oh yeah, Silvano, Jimitti, Sandra Sandra Green. Oh yeah you waited, you got two laughs, Let's do that. Collette Rock Exact. Thanks for making that happen, right right, yes jokes, Julie turn Friend.
Speaker 3: You say Turnbull and I say Turnbull, and you know what, You're right, it's Turnbull, Turnbull.
Speaker 2: Damn it. Sorry. And Victoria Blake and Andra Heard and Dick.
Speaker 3: Frolicker, Sean Boshpey, Kerrie Maller, Karen Johnson Watson, Jacqueline Belik, Victoria Blake, bring us Home, Jill.
Speaker 2: Shaw and Athena Ginchard and Sean Price and Kate Donado. Hey, hey, listen, the holidays are coming, and you probably want to get some gifts for people. And there's nothing more fun than a gift that's personalized, like a private joke or a name or something. And and Basic Becky can make you anything you want, T shirt, bounce pad, mug, go to her, go to just basic Becky dot com and order all the stuff. Yes, yes, that's what you want to do with Basic Becky. She's not basic, but that's just the name of it. And then our friend Randy may Ames, I was thinking for you, for us, maybe like best friends animal like that.
Speaker 3: Randy uses her shout for whatever charity we can. She's chosen some and we've chosen some and an honor of people.
Speaker 2: I think you could make a gift to us or like a senior dog dog place and make it in the honor of penelopees. Yes, yes, yes, yes, please, all right, Okay, thanks everybody. We'll be back with you tomorrow for your Patreon. And I was going to say, we love you.
Speaker 3: We think you were sorry, but we do love you, we do thank you, but I have nothing to be sorry. I mean, like no, well the jokes about Poland, but that's my family.
Speaker 2: But I want to tell you guys also something and that is that on our rose Pricks feed, which some of you are not there yet due to the fact that I see a lot of number of people listening to Board, a f still on the board feed, which we'll keep throwing up there so you have it. But if you go to rose Pricks, we do a lot of our Hollywood Cringe is really like what Board Patreon is, and so we do that sometimes for free. Well it is Hollywood Cringe is free free. Last week we did a whole extra episode about the Olivia, Newsy stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the the RFK junior, all that we went so deep dive kind of amazing.
Speaker 2: Us being funny. It's very bored afesque, and half the time will stop and be like this is so bored right now. Yes, sometimes we'll stop or somebody be like, save it. I did for you, guys, right, Okay, Okay, you're welcome. Goodbye guys. Bye, Hey,