Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County KAFI Radio.
Speaker 3: This is Mission Control Houston. Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake Up Call.
Speaker 4: How do you hear me?
Speaker 5: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake.
Speaker 6: Up call'd landed and his name is Amy King.
Speaker 5: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 2: This is not.
Speaker 7: God.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up, good morning. It's Friday, February twenty eighth, the last day of February. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and so happy that you're here to start your day and get a kickstart to the weekend. Got so much going on, Let's get right to it. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Fired. LA fired Chief Kristin Crowley has notified the city that she is going to appeal her termination to the La City Council. La Mayor Bass fired her last week because of the way that she handled the wildfires in Pasadena, Altadena and Pacific Palisades. Crowley would need the support of ten of the fifteen city council members to be reinstated. Ukrainian President Zelenski will meet with President Trump at the White House today, is expected to sign a deal to pay back money given to Ukraine to fight it's war with Russia with proceeds from Rare Earth minerals. Reality TV star Court Kardashian has joined her neighbors in Calabasas to protest the dumping of debris from the Palisades Fire in the Calabasas landfill. Kardashian held a sign yesterday that said, fill our hydrants, not our dumps. Circumstances surrounding Gene Hackman's death are unusual and getting more and more strange. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to join us to tell us the latest on that. That's coming up in about three minutes. Also, we're going back to the Moon. Well, NASA is We've got two lunar landings happening in the next week. We're gonna be talking with Nikki Fox at NASA headquarters to find out when we'll get there, what we're dropping off, and why we're doing it. That's coming up at five twenty. You don't want to miss it. I love all Things Space. The countdown to the Oscars is on. We're going to dig into Hollywood's biggest night with insights from ABC's Mike Nabuski. That's coming up before the top of the hour. Here's a fun Oscar fact. Do you know how much the Oscar Ceremony costs to put it on on? In total? Fifty seven point seven million dollars. Starts at four o'clock on Sunday. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A new analysis shows the damage caused by the wildfires last month in southern California is in the tens of billions of dollars.
Speaker 4: Upwards of nearly fifty four billion dollars in property damage was suffered by the fires and the palisades in Altadena. Former Governor Gray Davis, co chair of the Southern California Leadership Council, says rebuilding should be fast tracked.
Speaker 8: Whether that's a rebuilt home or some of the home outside of the fire errors. But most people, we believe will want to gravitate back to the neighborhoods in which they previously lift.
Speaker 4: The report by the Leadership Council and the La County Economic Development Corporation says tens of thousands of jobs have likely been lost or will be. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News, California's insurance commissioner says he hopes to make a decision in the next two weeks about State Farms request to hike insurance policy prices by fifteen to thirty eight percent. Consumer watchdogs William Fletcher says the hikes would increase homeowners' policy prices by an average of six hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: This is just a potential huge impact.
Speaker 3: We're concerned that we're not seeing the information, the financial information that.
Speaker 2: We need to see to fully evaluate the request.
Speaker 1: State Farm is the largest insurer in California, covering about twenty percent of homes. State regulators have given two other insurance companies permission to raise their rates for thousands of customers beginning in late March. Homeowners, condo owners, and rental building policyholders. With Mercury General, we'll see their rates go up by twelve percent. On average, customers who have home insurance with Safeco, which is part of Liberty Mutual, we'll see rates go up by an average of seven point two percent. In May. A jury in la is due back for deliberations in the trial of an Orange County judge charged with killing his wife. Jurors could convict Jeffrey Ferguson of second degree murder or involuntary manslaughter, or acquit him testified the fatal shooting in twenty twenty three was an accident. Pasadena School District board members have voted six to one in favor of removing over one hundred and fifty teacher and staff positions. The proposed layoffs are one part of a proposed district budget cut. The president of the United Teachers of Pasadena says about a dozen staff and the proposed layoff lost their homes in the Eton fire. The district says the budget decisions were made before the fires started. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, we're learning more about Gene Hackman's death and it's all getting very strange.
Speaker 7: It is getting strange, yes, mainly because we don't have any answers as to how this happened. No obvious sign of trauma on the body of either Jeene Hackman or his wife, Betsy Arakawa. The door had been left a jar apparently to the house. That doesn't jot with what the security guard or the maintenance man who made the nine to one one call said. He said that there was no way to get into the house. Now, you know, he was upset. Clearly he was in a panic a bit, so he might have missed that there was a door that was open, but the door opened. Thing also kind of might discount the theory that they died of carbon monoxide poisoning, because it would have been out of the house, right, But the door might have blown open or pushed open after they had died. Who knows. But we're still waiting and it could be weeks amy before we have firm answers.
Speaker 1: And then there's also the issue of the dog. So there were two dogs that were alive and then one was found dead.
Speaker 7: Right and the dog they were all German shepherds. There Hackman apparently been a fan of shepherds, German shepherds for a long time. The dog that died was in a kennel in a crate in the in the closet now and the other two were roaming around were in fairly good shape, but they were hungry, and this apparently it happened some time ago, a couple of weeks ago. Those same two maintenance men had not been in touch with the couple for a couple of for a few weeks, two weeks at least, but that wasn't unusual. They didn't see them very often. They would just contact Betsy Arkawa by text message to set up maintenance, So that wasn't too unusual that they wouldn't have been seen in some time, and they weren't fairly reclusive. Out there a lot of mysteries left to be solved.
Speaker 1: Hearing me, yeah, and when you mentioned a couple of weeks, they're also saying that the bodies had they were decomposing a bit and had become mummified.
Speaker 7: Well, that's what happens when somebody dies, you know, they and the bodies left there. The hands and the feet start to mummify first, or they the rigamotis then becomes mummification, and that's what had happened with Betsy Arkawa's hands and feet. I don't know if that was the case with Hackman. The affidavit did not mention that very you know, it.
Speaker 1: Could be very strange, or it could be just that they that he died, and then you know, it could be very not strange, I mean, but it does seem very weird that they were in different rooms and it appears that he fell, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that he fell, you know it was that what killed him? Or is that or did fall because he died? We don't know. I think the key will be the dog if they can, if they determine that the dog died of carbon and ring, and I suspect they'll do a post mortem on the dog as well. If the dog died of carbon monoxide poisoning, that means they probably all did. If the dog starved to death, then that still leaves open the question of how Hackman and Arakawa died.
Speaker 1: Okay, so many answers, and then they're going to be doing autopsies.
Speaker 7: But autopsies are done, but the toxicology will take several weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're not going to have answers for a while. Okay. On a more happy note, do you have a favorite Gene Hackman movie?
Speaker 7: Young Frankenstein's one of my favorite movies of all time anyway, and he happens to be in it.
Speaker 1: Love it? Okay. Here's a couple that we were kind of rattling off some of the movies that he was in yesterday, but then there's just so much more. He was in Bird Cage, you remember that. Yeah, such a fun show. And one of my favorite roles that he did was get Shorty.
Speaker 9: That was that movie.
Speaker 1: It was I used to watch that movie all the time. And then of course serious stuff Mississippi Burnie Spectacular. Got an Academy Award nomination for that.
Speaker 7: And the French Connection.
Speaker 1: Of course, French Connection, of course. Editor Carlo said, Enemy of the State's one of her favorites.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Bene in some movies this weekend for sure.
Speaker 1: Absolutely a good way to remember a fantastic actor.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh and I have one other thing. It was Low's not Home Depot he was. He did voiceovers and it wasn't Home Depot. It was Low's that he did for years.
Speaker 7: Gotch's plan to.
Speaker 1: Correct the record there. Thank you so much, Jim, have a great weekend. Thanks for the information. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. British Prime Minister Kiir Starmer has urged President Trump not to abandon Ukraine as he looks to end the war with Russia. Thank you for changing the conversation to bring about the possibility that now we can have a peace deal, and we want to work with you to make sure that peace deal is enduring.
Speaker 4: The Lost.
Speaker 1: Starmer arrived at the White House yesterday to meet with Trump, who says the presence of American workers in Ukraine will act as a deterrence against Russia when you.
Speaker 2: Talk about economic development.
Speaker 3: We're going to have a lot of people over there, so we'll be working in the country.
Speaker 1: The British Premier started his visit by delivering an invitation to Trump from King Charles the Third to go to Scotland for what Starmer called an historic state visit. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says if the United States imposes tariffs, billions of dollars worth of US products will also be subject to taxes. Twenty five percent tariffs on Canada and Mexico are set to begin Tuesday. Mexican President Claudia Scheinbaum says she hopes that she and Trump can reach an agreement. China has threatened to retaliate for ten percent tariffs being imposed by President Trump. They're also scheduled to begin next week China's mini Ministry of Commerce says it firmly opposes Trump's threat and vowed that China will take all necessary countermeasures to defend its legitimate rights and interests. A spokesman says we urge the US not to repeat its own mistakes and to return as soon as possible to the right track of properly resolving conflicts through dialogue on equal footing. A federal judge in San Francisco has ruled the mass firings of probationary employees by the Trump administration were likely unlawful. The decision grants temporary relief to a coalition of labor unions and organizations that sued to stop Trump from dismantling the federal workforce. Lawyers for the Office of Personnel Management say individual agencies made the decision to fire employees and that it had no role in ordering the firings. Before we find out which movies are the best of the best at the Oscars, the Razzies will be awarded the.
Speaker 10: Golden Raspberry Awards, highlight the worst films and performances of the year, and leading the putrid pack this time is joke Fully Ado, with seven nominations its stars Lady Gaga and Joaquin Phoenix were nominated. Phoenix won the Oscar for playing the same role in the original film. Other films up for the honor include Borderlands, Madame Webb, Megalopolis, and Reagan, with six nominations each. The winners, so to speak, will be unveiled Saturday. Mark RONNERD KFI News.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't hate me, but I actually kind of liked Joker Faliad. It was weird, but I I knew what it was going in, Like, I didn't go to the theaters, and I wasn't surprised because it was a musical because I kind of knew already. So will you haven't seen it?
Speaker 4: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well when you see it, you'll be prepared. Okay, I still, I mean, I kind of hated it, but I kind of really was sitting there going, oh, I really do like this. State Farm has asked California's insurance Commissioner to hike insurance rates in California by an average of twenty two percent. It says paying out claims for the LA wildfires it's hurting its business and needs the influx of cash to cover costs. The insurance comissioner says he hopes to make a decision on State Farm's proposed rate hike in two weeks. A man's been arrested for allegedly attacking firefighters in Buena Park. The Orange County Fire Authority says as the firefighters got back to their station last night, a shirtless man on a bike stopped in front of a fire engine, pulled the door open, jumped inside, and started attacking the crew inside. He then locked himself inside the engine. Three firefighters were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. A woman who lost everything in the wildfire and Altadena is not happy with the CHP. Lisa Braunstein Gaffney says her charred car was moved to clear the road for emergency crews and utility workers after the fire. Well then CHP center a bill for towing the vehicle. She says she got charged almost six hundred dollars at six O five's handle on the news. Files on Jeffrey Epstein have been declassified and released, and at first glance, they're kind of a big nothing burger. Let's say good morning now to Associate Administrator for the NASAs Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters, Niki Fox, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Niki, Good morning.
Speaker 1: So Nikki, it's not only door Dash and grub hub that does deliveries. NASA does deliveries too, except they just did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that's right actually, to be to be fair, it's our it's our industry partners that are doing the deliveries. We are we are being delivered by them. So we're very excited.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell us you're saying, so you've got somebody else is actually uh flying there, but it's got NASA gear on the on the payload.
Speaker 3: Basically absolutely, Yeah. Through our Commercial Payload Delivery service basically or clips commercial Lunar Payloads, we we actually are working very closely with our industry partners enabling them to build the actual landers. They are you know, they're responsible for getting the launch and everything arranged, and we provide the payloads and also kind of you know, the delivery location that we want to go to, and then they are taking us there and taking us right now with the two that are going there to very different locations on the moon. So it's a very exciting time. Okay.
Speaker 1: So Nikki, tell us, first of all, tell us, we've got two deliveries going and one of them gets there tomorrow right or no, Sunday, Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's correct. One of them gets there on Sunday, and that is Firefly, our blue ghost one lander, so really excited that is that is heading there on track to do their landing attempt on Sunday morning. And that is that is actually going to an interesting region. That is, it's the site of an asteroid impact and so when the you know, an ancient asteroid impact kind of flooded that area with lava and so it's a very different kind of of of solar sorry you can tell I'm a herely physicist, a different kind of lunar sort of surface there. And then the other one, the intuitive machines, is going about five degrees off the south pole of the Moon, so very different area, and it's landing on a sort of our high high ridge there. It's about the size of Delaware, about the height of Mount McKinley, and so a very different area. And that one is going to be looking for water and other volatiles on the moon.
Speaker 1: Okay. And so though it sounds like they're going to have two very different missions because the one that's going to be near the south pole is looking for water. And what's the one the Firefly Blue Ghost mission one? What is the goal of that?
Speaker 3: Uh, there's several goals, but you know, largely speaking, it's really characterizing what the reguless or what what the lunar surface does during you know, when when you actually land on it, like does it does it kick up? How is the dust kicked up? What does that look like as you're landing. It's also got instruments that look are kind of how sticky the regulation is or the you know, the lunar surface, the lunar dust is. We know from the Apollo missions that you know it's stuck to the spacesuits, et cetera. And you know, we're just going to figure out like how sticky, how tacky it is. And then it also has some technology that's looking at whether or not you can actually clean the dust off the surface. You know, if you think about sending great scientific equipment, great life support systems, and then as you keep doing landings and you keep kicking up the dust, you want to be able to clean off those surfaces to keep everything pristine, and so sort of doing that that kind of early testing of that so as we you know, land more and more on the Moon, we can actually protect the environment around the landers. Also great science experiments on there looking at looking at the sun in X rays and doing some very sort of precise location like the sort of navigation precision locations with with that lander as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Nikki, you've got me really interested in the dust because you think about it kicking up and I remember like when when our troops first went over to Operation Desert Storm and they were dealing with the sand. They were literally using nylons to cover some of the weapons to keep the sand out. So I'm wondering it's it's sort of like you're finding out what it does, so when there are future missions, you know how to deal with it. Is that accurate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's actually a really great way of putting it. You know, you want to understand what the what the material or you know, the dust is made of, like you know, is it how and really it is, how sticky is it? How much will it stick to surfaces? And then you want to know how to protect those surfaces so that that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so then Nikki, let's look look to the future. We're doing this because what is what's the goal? Is it to put a station on the Moon. Is it to make us stop over, to like have people on the Moon all the time, or just to keep experimenting up there?
Speaker 3: Oh, a little bit of everything. I mean set the the ultimate goal is to set up a sort of a sustainable lunar economy for our US companies, so that you know, they they they have a sustainable your delivery services, as you know, is one thing, but also instruments on the moon, payloads going to the Moon, large cargo delivery, you know, on the intuitive machines. We have a hopper which is a little bit like a helicopter that you know, can actually sort of do mapping out of the terrain for us, so, you know, really interesting things. But to be able to set up that sustained presence on the Moon, and then to to to be able to look after our astronauts, and of course not only just on the surface of the Moon, but as we then turn our attention to sort of further out in the Solar System, we think of the Moon kind of lighting our way to Mars. As we you know, we are ready to support crude missions eventually to Mars. You know, looking at the technology, looking at the various things that you want to get ready to be able to support those long term, long duration trips to Mars, and then of course exploration on the surface of Mars, which I personally could not be any more excited about.
Speaker 1: And do we have any kind of a timeline on when that might come to fruition?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think you know, we're certainly ready to support any opportunities that we have to go, either to the Moon or to auto Mars. I think you'd have to talk to the various providers about their timelines for actually getting the equipment there, But NATA Science is ready to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Nikki, one last question for you. The first landing is supposed to have and on Sunday, and the next one I believe is on March sixth andres. Where can people watch this?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, you can, thank you so much for asking. You can watch it on NASA Plus is our streaming service, and we will be streaming all of the information live. So actually that's the landing, but also lots of information about the two missions, and of course if you want to know more about it ahead, if you can't wait till Sunday for the landing. You can go to NASA dot gov, where you'll find information about all things NATA, or follow us on social media. We are doing updates all the time on these both of these missions. Plus we also have a Lunar Trailblazer, which is an orbiter that also launched with with intuitive machines this week and also upcoming. We've got some launches from the West Coast this week as well, one studying the Sun, one studying the galaxies, and one studying the auroras. Lots of exciting stuff happening in NASA Sciety.
Speaker 1: My goodness, they're keeping you busy, Nikki. Thank you so much for information. I love talking about space stuff. It's just and you can. You can hear your excitement about it, and I love that too. Thank you so much, Nicki Fox at NASA Headquarters. We appreciate it. Thank you all right, take care? What fun okay? NASA Plus, I gotta watch that Sunday, well, I can watch it right before the oscars. The fire chief fired by La Mayor Bass says she's going to appeal.
Speaker 4: Kristin Crowley was fired in a public press conference last Friday, where Mayor Bass said the veteran firefighter failed in preparation and information sharing leading up to the Palisades fire. The city charter allows a department head like the fire chief, to appeally dismissal directly to the city Council. Crowley would need support from ten of the fifteen members to be reinstated. Five council members have already shown their support for Bass's decision, to others have been critical of it. The Firefighters Union has also come out against the mayor's decision. Michael Monks k if I knew.
Speaker 1: Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the beating of a man near LA's Wheelshare area by a group of teens on bicycles. The two arrested were booked for assault with a deadly weapon. Police are still looking for the others. There was between twenty and thirty of them shown on video participating in the attack, basically pummeling the guy. A woman from La has been sentenced to five years in prison for fraudulently obtaining more than two million dollars in COVID nineteen government loans and making false claims to the IRS to try to get nearly one point three million in tax credits related to the pandemic. Thirty eight year old Casey Hines was also ordered to pay more than two million dollars in restitution. Activists are calling on people across the country to take part in a twenty four hour economic blackout to protest companies that have rolled back diversity, equity and inclusion programs. This teacher in Florida says he won't be shopping today to also take a stand against President Trump's efforts to end DEI.
Speaker 5: Trumps economic policies thoroughly hurt the working class in all classes of America, and it's incredibly important that we show that we're not going to stand for it.
Speaker 1: Protesters say they're not spending any money today except for essential things like medicine, and if they are shopping, they are shopping locally. Travis Kelce will return to play for the Kansas City Chiefs next season. The tight end confirmed to ESPN ESPN's Pat McAfee that he won't be retiring this year, despite some speculation. Following the Chief's Super Bowl loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. Kelsey reportedly told McAfee, I can't go out like that. State Farm has asked California's insurance Commissioner during a sit down to high insurance rates in California by an average of twenty two percent, Consumer watchdogs as people can't afford the average six hundred dollars increase. That would mean the recently fired chief of LA's fire department has appealed determination to get her job back. She'll need had ten of fifteen city council members to back her appeal, and so far Kristin Crowley only appears to have the support of two. Mayor Bass fired her last week. Two new Costco stores are coming to southern California. The membership warehouse company says it'll open stores in Brentwood and Highland Park. The stores in Southern California and a half dozen others are expected to open next month. Costco's CEO had previously said the companies hoping to open twenty nine new locations in the US this year. I'm sure Bill Handle's going to be very excited about that. At six so five, it's Handle on the news. Circumstances around the death of Gene Hackman are being called suspicious and they're quite frankly very odd. Let's say good morning now to the host of Home on Kfi the house whisper of Dean Sharp So Dean the International Builders Show in Las Vegas. I was saying earlier that it is to home builders kind of like what CEES is to tech people.
Speaker 9: It is absolutely the world's largest home building and design show on the planet and happens every year in Vegas a few times on the East Coast, but this year it just wrapped up yesterday and a huge, huge show.
Speaker 5: This year.
Speaker 9: It now has grown to fill the entire Las Vegas Convention Center, a million square feet of exhibit space, two thousand exhibitors, over one hundred thousand, well over one hundred thousand people in attendance, big, big show.
Speaker 1: Okay, So answer me this, because I love going to like home and garden shows, like home improvement shows, that kind of stuff. Is this International Builders Show for things that are available now? Or is it kind of like CEES where it's you know, saying this is this is coming.
Speaker 9: It's a mixture of both. It's mostly about things that are available now, but there are also exhibitors there who are showing things that are coming out later this year, next year. Usually it's not too far reaching into the future, because you know, it's a bit show, very practical. It has everything to do with what's available and what's happening now. But a lot of cutting edge stuff out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's just go over a couple of them, and then you're going to be talking about this this weekend on your show.
Speaker 9: Right, Yes, both day, Saturday and Sunday. We've got so many things to talk about. I tell you right off the top on the notes that I sent you that I was so impressed with clo Pay. Clopay is a very, very big garage door company, and there have been some innovations in garage doors over the last few years. Clopey has introduced what they call their vertice stack garage door. It's a sectional garage door that everybody's used to accept. This garage door these sections. As it opens, they separate from each other and stack up like a like a deck of cards right above the garage door header on the inside of the garage door, which means there are no bent rails traveling across the sea of the garage. The door does not end up covering the ceiling of the garage, which means that the ceiling of the garage is free and clear for storage, racking, for whatever else is going on. This is a garage door that stays on the front wall of the garage.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you're looking for this is my visual for you. If you're trying to figure out what that exactly looks like. It's like vertical blinds.
Speaker 9: Yes, it is. If you draw the blinds up, they just stay right there in the balance up above the window, as opposed to traveling, which is what most sectional garage doors do now on rails across the ceiling. So yes, that's a great, great analysis.
Speaker 1: Super cool. Okay, give me one more.
Speaker 9: One more Mason night is you know what I'm gonna move this one? Door Saver three doors three Okay. Door Saver is a company that has been making door stops, and you know, not everything that is new and amazing at the builder show costs, you know, thousand dollars. This is a product that retails for about eight dollars. But the door Staver has designed a hinge pin for door hinges that has built into it a fully adjustable door stop in the hingepin, so you no longer do you have to have doors slamming against the wall, door knobs slamming into drywall, or have that you know, long springy thing down at the base sticking out of the baseboard that gets kicked or it gets caught on with feet or vacuums. No longer do you have to have any kind of those bumpers. The door stop itself, fully adjustable to whatever angle you want the door to open, is just in the hinge pin.
Speaker 1: That's very cool. So they got big, big developments and.
Speaker 9: Little developments, everything from the bigest to the smallest.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're gonna be talking about this on Home. You can listen to Home with Dean Sharp right here on KFI six to eight am tomorrow morning sad and nine to noon on Sunday. And it's all about the International Builders Show. That's it, all right, Thank you Dean Sharp.
Speaker 9: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe Courtney. Some people are saying that Starbucks coffee is too strong, so it's got a new option for us.
Speaker 6: Yes, good morning. And by the way, I need that hingepin from my front door.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Right started to look it up.
Speaker 6: I was like, this is great because mine is always blowing closed. Well, yes, I'm one of those people who think the coffee is a bit strong.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm drink dunk In all the time. But it is.
Speaker 6: Starbucks is adding a light roast coffee that they called its Sunsarah Blend. Okay, so they say the goal is to create a coffee that's delicious, hotterized with milk and without.
Speaker 1: It took the chain about fourteen months to.
Speaker 6: Do it, and it also took them hundreds of cups of coffee to come up with the new blend. So it's going to be available on Tuesday at the cafes and also if you go to the grocery store.
Speaker 1: You'll find it there. Okay, same price as the other stuff, just lighter.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they actually named it sun Sarah because it's a blend of Sun for its sweetness and warmth and Sarah for the Italian greeting. Woona Sarah. Well, I butchered a little Italian for you. But you get my drift there, Yeah, okay. Tesla wants to get in on the uber game. Yes, yeah, they're trying to get approval to offer ride hailing services in California. So we saw the documents here at Bloomberg and Tesla applied for something known as a transportation charter party carrier permit. So that's a very fancy term for owning and controlling fleet of vehicles in California. But this would put it in direct competition with Uber Lift weaime, all of those type of companies. But Elon Musk said that Tesla's aiming to offer driverless ride hailing in the state by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, I love options. I love options. Okay, Yeah, And what are we looking forward to in the stock market because uh, kind of had a down day yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's been a rough month the S and P five hundred, it's down about two percent so far this month. But it's looking nice today, you know, a nice way to end off Friday on an up nice I'm trying.
Speaker 1: It's looking it's making you feel good.
Speaker 6: Well, we have warm weather here in New York, surprisingly warm weather for the end of February, so maybe that's making everybody a little excited. The Doubt right now is up two hundred and ten points the S and P five hundred, rising three tens of percent in trading, very different than what we saw yesterday, which was down by tech shares.
Speaker 1: And just for clarification, you said it's up in trading, but the oh, the market's open at five thirty.
Speaker 6: Yes, the market's open. Yeah, the market's open or later. So we're looking at it and open and coming up in about a half hour from a little more than a half hour from now, forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Wait, they're not open yet. No, we're not open yet.
Speaker 6: We open at nine thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was okay. Back, that's Whenabelle goes that they're trading up and I'm like, wait a second, do they open at five thirty or six thirty?
Speaker 6: Okay, the futures, all the people who are ahead of the game gotchang. Ah, here's where everything's gonna go. This is what we think is gonna happen today. Obviously, mind there's not ahead of the game.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, my friend. That is your business with Bloomberg's Courtney. Donaho. Have a great weekend. We'll talk to you Monday, because we talked to you every day at five point forty right here on wake up call. Enjoy enjoy weekend. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man from Rancho Cucamonga is admitted to selling American technology secrets to China. I'ming Lee worked as a senior software engineer and program manager at a top us tech company based in southern California. He was arrested at the Ontario Airport in twenty twenty three when he returned from a trip to Taiwan. He pleaded guilty to possessing trade secrets yesterday, spacing ten years in prison. The Islamic Colly month of Ramadan begins tonight. It commemorates the first revelation of the Qur'an to the prophet Mohammed. During Ramadan, Muslim adults fast from dawn until dusk each day unless they're sick, pregnant, diabetic, breastfeeding, or traveling. They also take part in increased prayer and charity. Ramadan lasts until March thirtieth. The Metro board has voted to expand a pilot program to screen writers for weapons. Metro installed systems that had passengers walk through a set of sensors or used closed circuit video feeds to detect weapons at Union Station and at the Citrus College Station. Last August. The wildfares in La expected to cause billions over the next five years and estimate and a report by LA Economic Development Corporation is that it's four point six billion, and that's just in five years. Former California Governor Gray Davis said the longer it takes to rebuild, the more it will cost homeowners, businesses, and governments. You've heard the phrase when the planets align, while they're actually doing it. Tonight, seven planets will be lined up in the sky in what astronomers call a planet parade. So just after sunset, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune, Venus, and Saturn will be visible in the western sky. The planets won't line up like this again until twenty forty. All right, let's say good morning to ABC's Mike Debus game. Before we jump in, Mike, I have a fun fact for you, okay, uh An, a list actress when they hit the red carpet, costs an average of ten million dollars ten million dollars to look like that. If you're just a first time nominee, you generally spend two hundred and sixty six thousand. How does that happen? How is that happening?
Speaker 5: That's huge?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, So Mike's pinch hitting for will Gans this week, of course. So normally Mike loves to talk tech, but he also loves to talk movies and glamor and glitz, and that's why he's here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, although I will say not ten million dollars worth of glamor and glitz. I am in a teacher right now for just for full disclosure purpose.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want to talk about, first of all, the Best Movie nominees. Of course, that's the last award of the night, and that's the one that everybody's like, Oh, which one is it going to be? And there are a ton of them up there, and the one that I would vote for has no chance of winning.
Speaker 5: Which one would you vote for?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 1: Wicked?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, I mean Wicked is kind of like the populous choice, right. It's one of those movies that was a big box office success. It's a really recognizable property because of course of the Broadway musical and the book before that. It's got some big stars in it, with Ariana Grande and Cynthia Rivo and others. But yeah, I think it's got kind of an uphill battle going into Sunday night when the Oscar is air because we don't really have a ton of like polling necessarily to figure out exactly who the frontrunner in these categories are, but we can look to previous awards that these movies have raged in and instead of Wicked, it looks like a Nora kind of has the momentum going into Sunday now. They picked up a Producer's Guild Award, a Director's Guild Award, Critics Choice Award, Indie Spirit Award. They kind of kicked off the whole awards ceremony or excuse me season with the Palm Door Award at the Camp Film Festival last year, So they've got some momentum going into Sunday night for a little while there. If we rewind a couple months, Amelia Perez seemed like a lock for Best Picture, but that movie was kind of knocked out of contention after some old controversial social media posts were uncovered being posted by that movie star Carlo Sophia Gascun. The Brutalist also in this conversation, Still a three and a half hour immigrant tale in sort of post war United States, stars Adrian Brodie. That movie picked up a golden globe and silver lion at the Venice Film Festival days. My favorite movie of this bunch is nick I did. I've seen them all and it was it was, it was a long time I got feed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't my favorite by any stretch of the met By any stretch, it was not my favorite, and I I hope it doesn't win. Not because I don't like Adri and Brody and there weren't beautiful parts of it, but I just think there was a lot better movies out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's a fair take, and I think a lot of OSCARS voters are with you there. A lot of this comes down to, like how OSCARS voters are feeling in the moment, right. It is a time commitment to go watch The Brutalist. It is I think an achievement in editing in that movie For me at least, never really felt slow. I think it was pretty well paced given its length, and it did have an intermission in it, which was like a welcome thing to have in a movie like that kind of get up, go to the bathroom, walk around theater, stretch your legs. But yeah, I think that a lot of people are kind of with you on this point. And it also had its own sort of controversy this award cycle when it was found that AI generative artificial intelligence was used to edit some of the Hungarian dialogue in that film, and of course AI was a major point of contention during the strikes, recent debates in Hollywood over the ethics of AI and who gets to use it and what have you. So, yeah, that movie, you know, it was there and then it kind of lost momentum for a number of different reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: And my favorite movie of this bunch is Nickel Boys, and it just I don't think that's got a shot at all, but you know, it did pick up a DGA Award earlier this year, which is not up.
Speaker 1: So your favorites Nickel Boys. Mine was Sing Sing.
Speaker 5: Oh, I loved Sing Sing Sing Sing was excellent. I'm big Coleman Domingo band myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. And then Amelia Perez, I want to talk about that just a minute, because you said it fell out of favor because there were some tweets that were sent out like ten years ago, and so that not only knocks her out of contention to become Best Actress maybe maybe not, but probably the whole movie, which is really unfortunate because again, of these movies, if a Noora, if it's up against Anora and Amelia Perez, I liked Amelia Perez better.
Speaker 5: That's interesting. Yeah, I mean, look, it's it's not just the tweets necessarily, and you know, those those social media posts kind of you know, we're old, but you know, maybe a little closer to present day than some were comfortable with. Of course, a lot of Academy voters don't pay attention to that, you know, So it's it's really anyone's game. And Amelia perets like it's an unusual movie, right, it would be an interesting award. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: It's a musical, it's a trans story, it's a movie about violence south of the border. You know, it has just as many proponents as it has opponents, which I think is really, you know, kind of what makes this an interesting race to follow. And of course the movie we haven't talked about is The Substance. Demi Moore is up for that movie. You know, it could be kind of a career award for Demi Moore going into Sunday Night. She's been a staple of Hollywood for for decades now and never really thought of as an awards actress. This could be unattempts by Hollywood to give her her flowers that long last. But Mikey Madison and Anora, you know, she could be a spoiler there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, she was good in that. Do you have any predictions really or it's just kind of it's too hard to tell right now unless you're in the Academy and kind of have the vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, most of the big awards are are really tough to predict, which, you know, again makes this kind of a fun race. I thought that the movies this year were good, not great. I kind of like, you know, Best Picture nominees from Premiers prior a little bit better. If there is a lock that I feel comfortable predicting, it is supporting actor. It's Kiaran Culkin. We know him from Succession. He's obviously the younger brother of mcaulay Culkin. He has won pretty much every major award for a Real Pain going into Sunday Night, A back to Critics' Joye Award, Golden Globe, SAG Award, Indie Spirit Award. He's basically cleaned up on the trail. Everybody kind of likes listening to him give an acceptance speech. It feels like a pretty comfortable win for Kieran Colcaan for that movie, which is a really good movie. I really, I really liked that movie, directed, written by and starring Jesse Eisenberg. Kieran Coulkin up for Supporting Actor there. So yeah, but you know, beyond that, it's really anyone's game, which kind of makes it exciting.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we'll be watching. And here's another piece of good news, at least for me, because I get up at two thirty in the morning. There they're on from four to seven, so they don't even start at five. They start at four last Sunday. Bonus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, though it's worth mentioning. They did say that they were going to go a little longer than last year. They said it like a comfortable three and a half hours of this year. So we'll see, all.
Speaker 1: Right, ABC's Mike Tebuski, thanks so much, appreciate.
Speaker 5: The information, of course, any take care.
Speaker 1: All right. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Clouds this morning, then a mix of sun and clouds for the afternoon. Hi's in the sixties at the beaches around seventy for Metro La and Inlando c upper sixties to mid seventies and thes and i E sixties to low seventies for the Antelope Valley. Cloudy with a slight chance of showers overnight and tomorrow morning, then partly cloudy. Its in the sixties. Mostly cloudy with a fifty percent chance of rain on Sunday. It's fifty four in Diamond Bar, fifty seven Newport Beach, thirty seven in Palmdale, and fifty four in Los Alamitos. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno and traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. Might want to check out my interview with the gal Nikki from NASA Headquarters about the moon landings happening this weekend. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.