Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r h Garden Line with Scared Rict.
Speaker 2: It's the crazy watch a trim, just watch him as so many good things to set by.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome, welcome, Welcome back to garden Line. It's good to be back this weekend. We got plenty of things to talk about, as always with gardening. You know that's a nice thing about gardening. There is always something to talk about. I mean, if you only own some fruit trees, we got something to talk about every day. If you only own a couple of herb plants or a couple of houseplants, we got something to talk about. Gardening is twelve months out of the year, three sixty five and twenty four hours a day. If you want, we always have something that is pertinent. We're going to talk about some of those things today. I'm gonna talk a little bit about pre emergent herbicides, so stay tuned for that. We're going to go into a little bit of a detail on that. I've had a lot of questions about pre emergence recently, and you know, it's important to get these things right because think of the pesticides we apply in sexicides, funch sides, herbicides, all of that. Think of it is like medicine. And in terms of dosing in things, right, I mean, you've got you take too much, it's not good. You don't take enough, it doesn't help. You don't follow the instructions on the prescribed medications, and you're probably going to get into troubles. And that is the way it is with any kind of product that we put on our plants, for insects, diseases, weeds, even fertilizers. Misapplication can cause problems. So we'll talk about that a little bit more in a bit. So just kind of stay tuned right now. Now, I wanted to tell you that the gate is wide open on getting some pre emergent fertilizers out there. It is important that we apply them at the right time and our If you look at my schedule at gardening with Skip dot com, you'll see October is the big month for doing that. Now. The idea is to get it ahead of times. So I'm saying I'm turning things loose here at the very end of September. If you want to put one out, especially those of you who live further north. It's a little cooler for the north, just a few degrees than it is all the way south you go to Galaston, for example, or other areas south. And so, you know, we when I'm saying on a radio show that goes from Huntsville down to the coast and then down Corpus over to really the edge of Austin and over the Louisiana border, you know saying, well, now is the time. It's kind of that's a little bit of a range. But I'll tell you this. For those of you in a little cooler parts of the zone, now is absolutely the time. And for those of your further south, if you want to get it done a little early, you can. And here's why those products last. I talk about barricade all the time, and barricade it's not like it's just going to work for a few weeks. It's going to be around. And so if you want to go a little earlier on it, you can. It's a little earlier. Maybe then you need to in the warmest parts of the area, but you never know what the weather. That's the thing. Weed seeds sprout based on temperature, and so when we get into the fall season, as it's cooling off the cool season, weeds they're sitting there going it's brout now, not when it's one hundred and twenty degrees, I'm not going to do it. And then when it cools off a little bit, it hits a temperature where they're willing to sprout, and we got to get our products down ahead of that. And so it's more important to be a little early than it is to be a little late. That's kind of the thing to remember. So now it's time to go ahead if you want. Early October is great to mid October, and these seeds will germinate on through the cool season. So if you know, if you perhaps stopped every weed that was going to germinate real soon, then there'd be weeds that are going to germinate in November germinate in December, for example. And that's why I like that barricade product because it covers your window there. Either way, if you don't get your pre emergent down on time, you can still put it down for the weeds that are going to germinate just a little bit later. But you may have missed a few of the weeds. But that's just part part of the deal. What's the best thing you can do? When you don't do the best thing. Well, it's it's the second best thing. And so whenever you can get those, get those applied Ice Hardware stores got you covered on that too. By the way, if you need barricade, they've got it. Any kind of a product that I talk about. The fertilizers we talked about, I'll be talking about fall fertilizing today again. And ACE has got you know, there's we have different brands that people follow. Some people like to do things organically, some people you know, synthetic is fine. And no matter how you want to go about your gardening, Ace has got the fertilizers for you, especially now and this time of year when it comes to the fall fertilization. They've got those in supply, things like Microlife's Brown Patches, which is their fall fertilizer. And then they're you know, each particular groups of fertilizer has theirs for the fall season. So Nelson's calls there's carbo Loade that's the one for that, and you know He's Hardware, it's got theirs as well. By the way, I'm going to be given away some of Ace Hardware's Fall Special, which is their fall fertilizer by by a Harder by Nitrophoss is fall special today when I'm down at Wharton Feed and Ace. I'll be there after a decent time after the show today because I got to make a good trip. But it's from one to three a'llbe at Wharton Feed and Ace, and we're going to give away a couple of bags of specially we're gonna give away a couple of bags of barricade too. So hey, if you haven't purchased them yet, you might get lucky. Come on down. If you don't get lucky, they've got them there in stock where you can get you some. While you're down there, you are listening to Garden Line And this is a call in show, so you know, when we do call in shows, we always think, wouldn't it be a good idea if people knew what our phone number was so that they could call in, all right? Seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four that is seven one three two one to fifty eight seventy four or KTRH and give it to you both ways. Makes it easy easy to get in touch with us. Let's see, I wanted to there's a number of things I want to talk about today, but for right now. I think we probably need to go to a break, So I'm gonna stop talking for a second and I will be right back. Just hang on. Oh, I'm being told that I got a little bit more time, all right, let me know when we got a little late start, so we kind of shift our times a little bit. Just let me know when it's time. Well, I tell you what I wanted to. It's going to be a while before I'm out there. I'm going to be out it in Channit Forest a little bit later this fall, and I wanted to. I wanted to tell you a little bit about some things that are going on out there now. And Chenni Forest is down in Richmond Rosenberg area and that I love going to that place. It is always fun. Right now, when you walk in, you are going to see fall asters and moms everywhere. I mean they are this is their season and they are showing off. You need vegetable plant transplants to get going. You need herb transplants to get going. You're still working on your butterfly garden fall us for planting. You want to get some things planted that will attract the larvae and the adults in and Jenni Forest, has you covered today? Out there at ten Danny's going to be giving a presentation on his favorite trees and he does carry a number of trees out there. Start at ten on Saturday, So if you just want to string together a list of fun things on a trip, stop in at ten am there and then head down to Wharton and we'll talk down there as well. He's got plenty of shrubs and trees, you know, for fall planting a fault is the best time to get them planted. He's got some great camellias. Boy, they're loaded with buds. Camellias just a great thing to add flowers to a season when we don't have a lot of flowers, and that would be the cool season. He's got some good ones. And you got to look at his Talivera pumpkins. Those talaveras are absolutely gorgeous. I mean it's you know, when you walk into the store. Of course, the mums and the asters are going to catch your eye, but these talaveras are just beautiful painted pumpkins. That would be a great decoration that you would have for years and years and years to come. So you got to go by and check those out as well, and then he has all the other all decorations and everything you expect from Enchanted Gardens or Channet Forest actually in Chenne Forest. If you're in Richmond and you're heading towards sugar Land, it's off to the right on FM twenty seven fifty nine, twenty seven to fifty nine. I mean, you look it up on your maps, but Enchanted Forest is the place that you need to check out for all of the things I just talked about, and they are loaded ready for bear. And if you want to time your visit today to when Danny's gonna be giving that presentation that starts at ten am presentation on his favorite trees for the area. And he knows what he's talking about, that is for sure. Tell what we're going to run out now to Spring, Texas and talk to Andy. Hello, Andy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Hi, good morning, thank you for taking my call. I get some pright myrtles, probably about eight of them that are straight in the line, and they're about I guess fifteen feet tall, but these white spots all over them, and they have a kind of grayish looking colored to them, and the leaves are kind of like will teem, what's my problem?
Speaker 3: Okay, well you said from your descriptions, I think two things. The wilting is likely something preventing water for giving in the plant. You know, root damage could cause that, but it could just be a lack of water. It's been kind of dry, it's been kind of hot. In fact, we've got a hot week here coming up. Try giving them some good, a good deep slow soaking, you know, put a sprinkler out there, put a rain gauge or a straight sided can, and water as much as you can for it starts to run off, and then water again, and water again until you've caught about an inch of water in that rain gauger or straight sided can, and I think that will help. Crapes are starting to lose their leaves. They typically, you know, we'll do something like that when they're in a long, hot summer stress. But mine are starting to lose their leaves and that's just normal at this point. It is what it is. They are where they are, But if they're a little on the dry side, that can happen. Now, the white spots, that's the big problem. That is something called crape myrtle bark scale, and it shows up as little white things on the trunks and branches of the limbs. The scale puts out sugary substance that causes mold to grow on the trunks and branches. It's a black mold, so literal city out there. The scale is sucking juices out of your plant. So when we have scale, we can spray them with oil to smother them. That is one option. This particular scale has been a problem to control, and so people are also using systemic insecticides that are drenched onto the ground that the roots of the crape take up, and that the scale then gets the poison when it sucks the juices out of the plant. I like the systemic approach and in that you're not putting a pesticide all over the surface of your plants. So things like a lady beetle crawling around the surface isn't going to be affected. But the scale, anything sucking juices out will be that. The danger on those is when you do them before we go into our bloom season, that material can be up there in the nectar and and bees go to craig myrtles. So but at this point in the season you could use a systemic.
Speaker 4: Product Okay, is that available at a.
Speaker 3: C at Ace?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: At Ace, I'm sorry, y.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely yeah. Ace Hardware does carry them. And you're you're in the Spring.
Speaker 5: Area, yes aam is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So let see you probably you've got you've got one on Memorial there Ace Hardware Memorial Drive just outside about eight. It kind of depends on where in Spring you are or your Spring or Spring brand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm closer to twenty nine and forty five.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, yeah I should there's one. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well I'll try that.
Speaker 3: It's the closest one to you. Yeah, just go in there and uh if you want to do you have a pin or pencil handy, Yeah, I do. I do write down I I am, I d O AM and there is a separate word right down and then as a separate word right down d I N O like dino dinosaur. Uh ef. Those aren't the whole names. But if if those two products that begin with those letters just two different ones, you can choose one or the other.
Speaker 4: For this, okay, okay.
Speaker 7: In business in the.
Speaker 3: Roots, yes, we'll tell you. Okay, Yeah, you mix it in water and you don't have to do it all over around the plant, just just around the base. Not too far out from the base is fine. It'll pick it up from there.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, appreciate.
Speaker 3: It very much, you bet, you bet, Thank you very much. Appreciate that. Yeah, that great myrtle bark scale. Boy, what a mess. That is definitely a mess I was talking about. You know, the fall fertilizing and stuff. Nitrophoss has got you set up with what they call the Texas three step. You know, the dance is Texas two step. We're going to do the Texas three step in our lawns and that is three things fertilizer, weed control, and disease control. And here's how that works. The fertilizer's nitro Foss Fall Special Winterrizer Nitrofoss Fall Special Winter Riser. It has that potassium we need to help the plant to make let's just call it the ana freeze for cold protection or to store the energy that it needs to come out in the spring. Fall fertilization is very important and Nitrovos Fall Specials designed for that. It's got the barricade, which is the pre emergent. That is the second step. It's two different products, Fall Special and then barricade. Step two. You get it down, you water it in. It prevents weeds from sprouting. That's the cool season weeds, the ones we deal with in the spring or sprouting in the fall. Number three is the fungicide. It's nitrophuss Egle turf fungicide. And I was just telling Andy Imido that was one of the ingredients for the systemic well that is what's in nitrofuss Egle and night fuss Eagle will get in your turf and when brown patch tries to attack or take all root rot, which is also a fall attacking disease, it is there waiting for them. Those diseases. You don't wait till they're all infected and then try to cure the grass. It's not very effective to try to do it that way. You get in ahead of the disease. And that's what the third step of the Texas three step will do. You're going to find nitrofoss Texas three step products at Court Hardware and Stafford Katie and Katie Ace Hardware has them. You go up to Brunham plants or things those of you, and Willis go up to Growers Outlet. They've got them all there easy to find those products. Let's go now to Carol in Houston. Hello Carol, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Thank you, good morning. I have several camellias and I'm having problems with scale. I've been treating with two systemic funge asides, two different ones. After listening to part of your call just a little while ago, maybe that's my problem. I have been spraying the whole bush, trying to get up under the where the scale is. Am I supposed to be spraying just in the around the base of the of the plant.
Speaker 3: Well, there's if you're using an oil, for example, that an oils are good for smothering scale. That's our one of our prime ways we control scale. You want to get it on the scale, So you would spray the above ground and you would spray all sides of all branches. In other words, you know, if you just blast over the top, you're not going to get any scale that might be underneath that. That doesn't have to you have to coat them in oil to kill them. So thorough coverage is critical for controlling scale with oil. If you're going to go with a systemic approach, then you're putting it in the roots to get it up in the plant, because what you're doing is you're poisoning the plumbing inside, and that's the juices the scale are drinking.
Speaker 8: Okay, I've been using let's say, proprocnisol and emit a cloprid. So maybe that's my problem because I've just been just been spraying the leaves and of course up under the leaves, which is almost impossible because there's so many leaves and it's hard to get up underneath. So if if I were to continue to.
Speaker 3: Plants that you're comella plants, you're using those two on.
Speaker 8: Community fa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, if it's just community okay, go ahead.
Speaker 8: So if I were to continue using the one of these two systemic fungicides, do I saturate the around the base of the plant with that funge aside, you know, pretty much saturated with with the fuide?
Speaker 3: Are those two different products or are they mixed together?
Speaker 8: And they are two different want the let's see what the coronoisol is fertile and the motorcoporal is bonade. But I've tried both, you know, well, I couldn't get one to work, so I've tried the young one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you need to understand, those are very different products for very different things. In middow product is the systemic insecticide, and you drench the soil to get it up into the scale on your camellias, and that would work very well. Now, camellias attract bees, and we're about to enter their bloom season, so that's a concern that I have about putting the amitacloprid on at this time. Once we get past their bloom season, you can go after that scale with a vengeance with the amitacloprid, and that's fine. Proper connaisol is a fungicide, and so it would control diseases and you would spray it on the plant.
Speaker 8: Okay, the proper connaisol is a is tell me that again is fault.
Speaker 3: I think we lost you, Carol, if you.
Speaker 8: Would explain the proper Honda's all again for me. It's a funge a side proconsole.
Speaker 3: It's a funge a side. So if you've got fungal leaf spots on the plant, in all other kinds of disease, it can be. It's used on turf for some of the Jesus of turf. But those two just separate. Those two products. They are very different in what you need.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, we have.
Speaker 3: To run to a break, but hopefully that'll get you off on a good start. And I do, I do appreciate your call. Folks. We are up against a heard break. I've got to run and I'll be right back. Hey, welcome back to Guardenline. Glad you are with us today. We are looking forward to continuing our conversation with you about the things that help you have a more beautiful on and a more bountiful excuse me, a more bountiful landscape. I wanted to go into a little bit of a talk here on some things related to pre emergent herbicides. I've been getting a lot of emails and online questions, all kinds of different things from people wanting to know or misunderstanding the application of pre emergent herbicides. So here, in a nutshell, is basically what you especially need to know. Number One, pre emergent herbicides prevent weed seeds from sprouting and establishing weed plants. They don't control plants coming back from underground storage structures. We call those perennial plants. They control, They stop weed seeds. They don't kill existing plants. You got weeds in your yard, you put a pre emergent on them. If it's a pre emergent, it's not going to kill them. You would need a post emergent, meaning after they come up to kill an existing weed. Second, you need to put them down before the weeds germinate. And the analogy I use. I did a Facebook post yesterday about it is the baseball analogy. If you wait to swing until the ball is over the plate, you're never going to hit the ball. You have to start swinging before the ball gets the plate. Right. Well, that is the analogy meaning that if you wait until the weeds are sprouting to put your pre emergent down, you're probably not going to do much of anything with it. It can be a good product that works, but you didn't apply it right. Third, they need to be incorporated into the soil, meaning you got to water them in. So when you put out barricade granules, for example, you water it in with just a little bit of water. About a third of an inch is adequate because all you're doing is getting the herbicide off that granule and into the soil surface. That's where the weed seed will germinate. That is where when it tries to push through and establish the barricade shuts it down. The pre emergent shuts it down. So that is important to understand what they control, and that is stopping weed seeds. That's what they do. Secondly, you need to apply them at the right also at the right time, meaning not after they're sprouted, before they're sprouted. And number three, you need to incorporate them with water. You need to water them in a little bit to get them into the surface for them to do what they do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: The fourth thing I want to mention is premerging herbicides like any medication or any herbicide or insex side or fungicide, there's things that works against and things they don't work against. No one product controls every weed on earth. So I like barricade because it's got a wide spectrum, broad leaf weeds and grassy weeds. It controls a wide spectrum. But not every weed will be controlled with any one product. So if you've got a weed that you're not getting a response to from whatever product you use, you may need to switch to try something else for that weed. But most of the time a lack of performance is due to the applicator. If we put it down at the wrong time, we don't water it in and so on. And that is why I have I have my schedule on gardening with skip dot com to give you timing on those things so that you can do it the right way. And I've gotten a lot of questions about what I got weeds. Will to pre emergent kill them? No, no, it won't. Well you know I tried and something didn't work. Well, I just told you why they don't work. So keep that in mind and hopefully that will help you to have good success. Our phone number is seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. You've heard me talk about generaic generators UH and Quality Home Products of Texas, which is the best place to get your generatic generator Generatic automatic standby generators UH. They work and they're ready to go for you whenever you need them. Power goes off, generator comes on. Now. I'm not going to tell you about the generators right now. I want to tell you about the fact that everybody is wanting generators because of those power outages two of them we had this year that were very long and generators need to hire some people to help. Now, if you're a licensed electrician or a plumber, you need to give them a call because they are looking for quality employees. You know, their generators meet the growing demands in our community for power when the power goes out. They also have clean water solutions from quality home products that they need electricians and plumbers too. They take pride in empowering homeowners with dependable solutions for both power and water quality. They take pride in ensuring families can continue their daily lives even during power outages. Now, if you hire on with Quality Home, very competitive pay. They have comprehensive mental, medical, dental, vision coverage, retirement plans, four one K matching, played holidays, time off, training programs, operation for career growth. And I want to tell you something. I've talked with a number of Quality Home employees and we're talking about generators and stuff. But you know, now, looking back, one thing I've heard from everybody is they love working there. It is the work environment is just it's just a good one. People are enthusiastic about their job. I had one of them on a while back where we talked about power outages and things, and you could just hear in their voice they were just excited about it. It's a great company to work with, solid reputation, track record of good growth, and they've served so many people. And when you look at the reviews, you know why they're looking for qualified people. You apply online at quality tx dot com if you are an electrician or a plumber, because remember Quality Home Products of Texas. They have internal service people. They don't have to go out and subcontract out to somebody else on these things. They have their own electricians and plumbers, everything you need to do, all the things that they do to serve the people of our community. I'm gonna have to take a little quick break and I will be right back with your questions here at seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four.
Speaker 9: This report is sponsored by Welcome Back.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Gardenine. Good to have you with us today. Listen, if you haven't been to the Arbigate recently, you need to check it out. It is beautiful out there. You know. They have all their fall decorations out and if you look for if you're looking for plants, they absolutely have some stunning things. One thing that I think they do a really good job of is putting combo planters together. And they've got planters with you know, things like croaton, which is definitely fall colors, and the trailing plants, the grass like plants. By the way, fall is for grasses. If you think about ornamental grasses, Fall is the best season. It's when they really show off. Anyway, these combo planters look just gorgeous and you need to check them out and get you something like that because they are stunning. If you need things like snap dragons, if you need other fall planting flowers, if you want decorations for the holidays, a Halloween, they're getting ready gets all set up here for the Christmas season as well. But they've got these little they're like the little ghosts, little ceramic ghosts that on a little stick that you put in the garden. You just have to go by and see them. They're beautiful. Remember they got the new parking lot out back that is wonderful and easy, very safe entry to come in from the back that way just off Treshel Road, easy to get to. And when you're at Arburgate, always get a bag of organic food complete which contains everything your plants need. An organic soil complete, which is a quality soil with some expanded shale in an organic compost complete. It's a compost, but it also has some expanded sheale mixed in.
Speaker 5: One.
Speaker 3: Two three. You've taken care of the brown stuff, and you grab an arbigate plant and put it in that and you will have success. We love love kinds of things they carry there at arburgate dot com. They're just west of Tombaul. On twenty nine twenty I'm going to head out now to Paul on the southeast side. Hey Paul, welcome to garden.
Speaker 9: Line k skip Uh.
Speaker 10: I've got two questions please morning.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 10: I have sadmins, for lack of a better word, better ants inch and half. I want the pennsylan. I want to whack and paint them with something I've heard you talk about and passed to kill them down to the roots. And then I want to know the name of the app if you use for id id.
Speaker 3: Okay. So first the saplings. If you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, there is a free publication called Herbicides for Skips weed Wiper. Now those herbicides on there aren't just for the weed wiper But what it does is it tells you buy the kind of plant which herbicide to you. So if it's a grassy plant, if it's a sedge plant, if it's a woody sapling or a shrub or a woody vine like poison ivy, each of those categories has herbicides with brand names that I'll put in there. So it makes it real easy in case you know, you forget later or maybe have a next you're trying to kill nuts edge you want to know what to use for that. It's all on that page. Four saplings for woody plants, Try clow Peer t R I c l O p y R. And I'm not going to go through all the brand names that they won't all come back for me, but c l O p y R. So it's try clow Peer and it's sold typically in things that say they're for poison ivy or brush control or stumpery sprouting or things like that. But that's what you do. You cut off the sapling, if it's got any size to it at all, like at least the size of your thumb, cut it off and dab straight tricle pair right onto it. I use those little foam paint brushes, a little tiny ones on a stick. It makes it real easy, and you do it right away. Don't don't wait a day to do it, do it right away. If they're smaller and you can't cut them off, you can put a little bit of a diesel oil actually into a tricle peer and you can wipe them on the sides of the real small tender saplings because they don't they don't have bark on them yet, and it soaks. The diesel helps it stick and soak right in. So anyway, that is how I would go about those. Okay, what was the second part of your question?
Speaker 10: The app?
Speaker 3: With the app? You know, there are a bunch of them out there, and I played around with a few of them and everyone what basically my impression was, if it's something from Texas here, it seemed like they didn't represent well in those apps. Now, if you're talking about standard stuff like this is a petunia and you know this is a hollybush, those kind of things, it does pretty good at that. What I like to use is Google Lens, Google Lens l E N S and you can even if you have an Apple phone, there you can you can download the Google app, and it's in the Google app. Now Apple has one that I haven't thoroughly tried. I suspect it's probably very good too. But Google lens is good for identifying anything, I mean from that's just I have used with any kind of phone. Yeah, well then Google lens. Look for the Google l E n S. Go to your app store and look for Google Lens l E n S. Okay, all right, that'll do it. That's the best thing for me. But I'm sure there's some other good ones. Some of them costs money to get the good version of them. Google lenses for you, Yes, you bet appreciate, appreciate your call. Southwest Fertilizer is the place you go when you want anything. They're limited to anything. If you want something other than anything, you can't get so with fertilizer because if they don't have it, you don't need it. They do. They've been in Houston lawn and garden tradition since nineteen fifty five. They're down their corner Business and Renwick in Southwest Houston, hence Southwest Fertilizer. You can go to the website Southwest Fertilizer dot com and you're going to find every possible herbicide and sect aicide, fung just side fertilizers, gardening tools, on and on and on, things like Azemi. They've got it there. They also have a shop in the back that can do repair on your small engines. They've got more blade sharpening, a lot of very helpful things. Like I said, you just walk in there and pretty much everything you need for your lawn and gardens to make them successful. It's going to be a Southwest fertilizer to carry the Microlife products you know, and right now, for example on Microlife, they carry all the fertilizer on the Microlife I would suggest using their brown patch Microlife brown Patch it is a fertilizer that has a higher there's the nitrogen is a little less than their green bag and the bus potassium you know, real ratios a little higher. It's time to get that down Microlife fertilizers. I livevailable Microlifefertilizer dot COM's website. In fact, if you want to also add some of their products that are called bio inoculant. Can't go wrong with that. Lots of good microbes to help fight off disease issues that might be trying to infect so I do both. I do the Fall Special and I do the bioinoculate both when you put them out well, I hear music starting to play in the background. I need to quit talking and go to a break. Here. I want to tell you do not forget this. I will be at Wharton Feed and Ace Hardware today, but it's a later appearance from one to three out in Wharton, Texas. Wharton Feed and Ace you can find it on the maps. I'm going to give away two bags a Fall Special from Nitroposts, two bags from Barricade Medina, samples plants from green Lay Plants, and a gift certificate from the muck Boot Company. Come on see me advertised on this program.
Speaker 9: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with skimped Rickard.
Speaker 11: It's just watch him as Hey.
Speaker 3: Good morning, folks, Good morning on a nice Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to getting out and about today. I we'll be down at the Wharton Feed and Ace in Wharton, Texas. We'll be giving away products and answering your gardening questions. I'll be there from one to three today, so please come on out. Everybody listening. If you live way down Corpus Christy Jan had a chance to come see me at one of the appearances. Well, here's this is about as clothes as I'm gonna get. In fact, I've never been that far out, and I'm really looking forward to this new newly developed Ace hardware store down there, and Warton is just it's gonna be fun. We have a good time, and bring me samples of your plants. Put them in a bag so that you can bring in any bugs that are involved, won't crawl away. Bring me pictures of plants that you have. We'll just deal with them, all of the different things. You're tired, you're weary, your huddled masses of plants yearning to be disease and insect free. I'll be happy to take a look at them. Orges Hidden Gardens is a place you've heard me talk about before, but it's done in Alvin, Texas, and those of you down south, you need to know about it and you need to go there. By the way, Jorge just opened up his hours. He's now open every every weekday, okay, every weekday from nine into three, and then on week ends he's open from eight to four Saturday and Sunday, So nine to three during the week eight to four on Saturday and Sunday, he has gotten shipments of all kinds of things. And he's just got a bunch more of his Orgees special formula's fertilizer that he sells. Fruit trees, including cetrus. They've got those in. They got a beautiful of succulent types. Landscape plants, for example, cacti, things like the agave, you know that sort of thing. They're just beautiful. Some of them already have bloomstalks on them. It's got great trees. The Cassia, which is a yellow fall blooming bush. The oh my gosh. One of my favorite plants is Texas sage also called Cynizo, has a purple flowers. They call it a barometer plant because it's bloom cycles follow rain spells. Just go to Hore you're going to see them all down there again. It's on Elizabeth Road in Alvin, Texas. Elizabeth Road, Alvin, Texas. Jorges Hidden Gardens. You should go check those out. By the way, when you get a tree down there, they carry those three sixty tree stabilizers at Horehes two, So I always remember to pick one of those up when you get your tree so that you can stabilize it and have success. You are listening to garden Line. The phone number is seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. That makes it real, real easy just to dial straight in. How about this, let me give you let me give you the letter way. Some people like that five one or seven one three two one two ktr H. How about that we'll go that way too, uh. BnB turf pros is one of the companies that pretty much exemplifies everything that I like to see and a sponsor here on garden Line. Number one, their focus is on customer satisfaction. They want it's not just do a job, get your money and leave. It's they want a relationship with the customers. They go above and beyond to make a personal connection and make sure you as a customer satisfied. Number two. They do high quality work and that's why you're satisfied. They show up, they will do the compost top dressing, and they'll do the the time aerration to get those little plugs out of the ground up to the surface. And if you've got a loan that struggled from summer it needs this. That is one of the best things you can do for long Yes, watering is important, Yes, fertilizing is important, but a compost top dressing after a deep time narration, that is very important. The website is bb Turfpros dot com. BB turf Pros dot com their phone number. Write this down. You're going to probably want to use it, and I just think you should ride down seven to one three two three four fifty five ninety eight seven one three two three four five five nine eight. Now they are down south and west of Houston, and the area that they cover is also down in that area, so Missouri City and sugar Land that's the west side, down through a down Highway six, Fresno, Siena, Arcola, Iowa Colony UH and then over as far east as Pearland. That's their region. And they do good work. Go online, check out their website bb Turfbbturfpros dot com and you see the kind of work they do. And trust me that this kind of activity on your lawn, this kind of service on your lawn is an excellent thing to do here for fall, because we have we got cool season weeds sprouting, getting a little compost drop desting on top even has a little added benefit of shading the soil a little more to help suppress that we'd see germination. That's something I don't often talk about about. That well our phone number seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. That is the easy way to get a hold of me. I was visiting with some of the folks at Nelson's at a trade show not too long ago, and just talking about the different products that they have, and of course right now the one that's in the forefront is their carbo load. Carbo Load is a fertilizer designed for fall. Why carbo Well, here's why. When you put down a fertilizer that's got some nitrogen but also a good amount of potassium in it, that's what carbo load has. You are going to build essentially ana freeze in the plant to strengthen the plant for cold weather. But you're in by what you're really doing is you're building carbohydrates sugars in the plant. It does that cold protection, it also helps it come out strong in spring. They call it carbo load because when you put it down your lawn produces a good supply of carbohydrates to increase winter hardiness and improve spring growth. A forty pound bag covers five thous and square feet. Of course, you want to water it in after you apply it, get those nutrients down there, and it just works really, really well. And now's the time to get the carbload down. Go to my schedule gardening with skip dot com. There's two schedules, one for lawn care and one for lawn pest disease and wheat control. Down on a boat. They're free. You know, I can tap me down on that price. Free gardening with Skip dot Com, Nelson Plant Food, Turf Star, carbo Load. That's what you're looking for. You're going to find it as a widely available product in pretty much wherever you live. I'm going to go now to West Houston and we're going to talk to Mary.
Speaker 7: Hello, Mary, Hey, Stip, good morning. I just want to get your feet good morning to you. Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am?
Speaker 7: Hello, Okay, I just wanted to You're so knowledgeable about grass seed versus grass sod and I've heard your different comments in the past, and I'm in a situation now where I want to use or would like to use grass seed instead of grass sod. Okay, and I wanted to give you your feedback.
Speaker 3: You bet I'll be mourning good morning and on a good day for gardening. If you live up in the Montgomery area, Ana Plants and Produce on the east side of Montgomery, right there on one oh five is the place you need to go. Visit. All of you out there listening in the Lake Conroe area, certainly Montgomery and Conroe all through that area. Ana Plants and Produce has a great stock of things right now. They got beautiful moms out there. I saw some great asters out there too when I was there recently. Roses fall is for roses, and they've got a good stock of roses as well. Maybe some perennials like plumeria, you know, the little beautiful blue flowered plumeria. They have those, they're so beautiful. Plenty of lantanas to those. Bring those butterflies in Gardena's nice stock. Guardina's the Salvia leucanta Mexican bush sage. That's the one that blooms in the fall and has beautiful purple spikes. Oh, they have some great, really awesome plants. Of a savvy lecanta out there. They have everything, and they have every fertilizer you hear me talk about on guardline. If I talk about fall fertilizer, I don't care what brand it is. They've got it there. At Ana Plants and Produce, they carry products for soil member brown stuff first, like heirloom soils, like Nature's way. You're going to find that there at Ana Plants. Again, they are out in Montgomery, on the east side of town, on the east side of town in Montgomery toward Conra, toward Lake Conro. If you will, all right, let's go back. We were talking with Mary, and Mary I think I believe you had a question about seeding grass. So what is the type of grass seed that you want to plan? What species of grass?
Speaker 7: Well, this this is a replacement for Saint Augustine grass that was overtaken by crab grass. And I have pulled a half of the crab grass mountains and I have at least half more to pull up. And I'm we're talking about five hundred to seven hundred and fifty square feet and the cost of of of Saint Augustine. Uh, you know, by the Pallette's very expensive so I'm warning I'm interested in using grass seed, and I bought a product that says, uh yeah, it's it'll do uh seven hundred fifty square feet for a whole lot less money. Oh, then using set can't grasshop it? Well, that's the picture. That's why I'm calling you. The picture shows a very appears to be very lush, lush looks like a golf course or the picture on.
Speaker 3: The back of course it does. They're trying to sell it to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's temper says it's temporary.
Speaker 3: Okay, Uh yeah, you don't want to do that.
Speaker 7: Uh, that's that's.
Speaker 9: Where I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't come from seed. That may be a fescue. If it's temporary, it may be a rye grass. That's kind of likely. If it's temporary, fescue grows better up north, not down where we live down here.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 3: What I do is, if I were you, I would I don't know how how big the areas where there's no Saint Augustine is. Oh, it's the whole yard where you have the whole yard's gone.
Speaker 7: Or the whole yard is I would say good, ninety to ninety five percent of the yard is Uh, crabgrass that has to come come up, and I have pulled it up.
Speaker 12: This I'm under the Uh.
Speaker 7: It's just that's your way, uh making me replace this grass.
Speaker 3: Mary, I'm yeah, I'm not convinced that it's crabgrass. There are several other grasses that can look like that. If you would like to take a picture and send it.
Speaker 7: To sent a picture I sent. I sent you a picture.
Speaker 13: In Zach.
Speaker 7: I got it. Yeah. I got a response from Texas A and M a gentleman after subsequent to sending you the picture.
Speaker 3: Okay, what did they? They said? Crabgrass? Yeah, okay, well I did. I didn't receive an email from you.
Speaker 7: But I'm going to. I'll forward his response.
Speaker 3: To the pictures and send me the picture. When you do the picture, my producer will give you the email to send them to me. Make sure you got the right email from the cross and well, let me take a look at those. Because crabgrass grass, it won't be back. It won't be back until its seeds sprout next spring. So that's easy to stop crabgrass from coming back. What we got to figure out is how to get you some Saint Augustine in there. If you've got a picture of your yard, would you send me that too, and I'll take a look at it. And I think that way we're going to be able to do a better a better job of helping you. Thank you very much. I appreciate appreciate that call. Mary. Uh. You know you hear me talk all the time about Landscaper's Pride. You hear me talk all the time about brown stuff before green stuff. Well, Landscaper's Pride has got a number of products, over twenty products that will help you have success with your plans. I just want to tell you about three number one black velvet molts. You know black velvet. It's a composted hardwood malts that has a naturally dark color. It's not dyed naturally dark color. It's just beautiful and you always need malts twelve months out of the year wherever sunlight hits the soil, nature plants a weed, keep the ground surface molted, and black velvet is an outstanding product for that. There's also a planting mix that they have got. It's a blend of locally sourced pine marks, got some sandy loam in it, It's got some organic materials. The compost type materials in. It suitable for most any growing situation that you're in. Their planting mix is a great way if you're going to do fall planting, which gosh, I hope you are. It's the best season of the year. Don't let it get by. Grab some planting mix from Louisiana Pride. Louisana Pride dot com is the website louis Is, louis Excuse me, Louisiana. I keep saying that Landscaper's Pride. I don't know why I make that connection anyway. Landscaperspride dot com is the website, and if you go there, you'll see where you can buy their products, as well as a list of all the different products they have. Together, as they say, Landscaper's Pride, let's grow something together. Follow them on social media too. By the way, let's see here. I believe we are. Let's see. I think Marry, Are you back? I think I see it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Waiting on your email?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I'm gonna put you back on hold, Chris, would you give Mary my email? Hang on? Sorry about that, Mary? All right, We'll get an email there to marry and be on our way. You know, photos are always better and some things. If you think I might need to see the photo, you can always call and get the email to send it in. The reason I don't just give it out on the air is I'm not able to answer the emails, just the volume of it and keeping up with social media and everything else and my other tasks through the week that I have, I can't because there's more of you than there are me. And so what I do is I try to connect the emails to phone calls and help you that way as best I can. So please be understanding, Thanks for being a listener. But that's just kind of how I survive. I managed to survive and to give you the best answers that I can. Puercecapes is a company that creates magical landscapes. And I don't care if you've got the taj Mahal and you want to go all out and you want hard scapes, and you want landscape lighting, and you want I don't know, a brick or a stone fireplace in the backyard, you know, and just on and on and on. They can do that. Or if you just want them to redesign some beds and put in some plants, you want to have them come out and look at you irrigation system, make sure it's working right, or you want to hire them for the quarterly maintenance. Every quarter four times through the year. They come out, they'll take the beds, they'll put seasonal color in, change them out for the next season. They'll mulch them, make sure the soil is well errated, irrigation's working right, fertilizing, weeding, trimming, all of that. That's all part of what Peerscapes can do. So from a small job to a really big job, Peer Scapes can work magic with your place. And if you want more information, go to their website and in fact just go there and look at the inspirational work that they do. Pierscapes dot com the number phone number two eight one three seven oh five zero six zero two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. Every time I go there, it's like I look at it and it's like, yeah, now there's ten more things I absolutely must do in my yard because they do such really, really good work out there. You are listening to garden Line. Our phone number is seven one three two one two five eight seven four. When was the last time you went to Moss Nursery? You know Moss Nursery down in Seebrook, Texas. Moss always has really cool stuff and stock Gem just brings in just outstanding, outstanding plants. And you never know what you're gonna see when you go to Mass, I mean, there's always something. It is a destination nursery. By the way, right now, they've got some gorgeous succulent bowls. You know, in succulent you're so easy to take care of. The only way you can fail with succulents is to water them too much. But they have beautiful, beautiful succulent bowls. Their Housepke Greenhouse is like like none other, absolutely other. You want Halloween decorations, They've got them at Moss Nursery. You want plants for Faul, They've got them. The Ddlsmortos celebrations, all kinds of unusual, like you know Skull and you know the whole Halloween nine yards. They've got that there, that rangoon creeper that we've been admiring all summer long, with beautiful blooms that go from white to kind of a deep reddish color. Oh, they're gorgeous. They have those. If they dive the ground in the winter and then they come back with a vengeance in the spring. You will not find a more interesting beautiful plant than they're gorgeous rangoon creepers. But I could go on and on talking all day. They're at five five one to one Toddville Road in Seabrook. Or go to the website m aas Nursery dot com m aa S Nursery dot com. Okay, I guess say one more plant. Chinese fringe trees. They have them in very small, smaller container pots as well, which makes it, you know, quite affordable for somebody want to get a tree, but you know, put it in a two hundred gallon tree. Well, Chinese friends from moss spring bloom, shaggy, fragrant, gorgeous. Perfect for modern lots that aren't really huge. You know, it used to be we had huge lots many many years ago. Now typical lot size is so small you can reach out your window and close your neighbors blinds. Chinese fringe is a good tree for that kind of lot. Okay, we'll go back to the phones here to Montgomery and talk to Brett. Hey, Brett, we are coming up on a break here. Let's see if we can get your question and I'll answer it when we come back.
Speaker 14: Good morning. I have a Chinese friends tree and we're getting a lot of the leaves or turn around, basically, have the lead. I was told that maybe some sort of fun guy need to spray. I didn't know what you knew about that.
Speaker 3: There is not a significant disease of Chinese fringe that I've seen here in our area. That's the bottom line. Uh and uh so I think it's probably a soil moisture stress related thing. Now I'm gonna put you on home because I do have to go to break, But if you want to hang on for more of an answer, I'd be happy to continue when we come right back. All right, folks, guarantee an thank you? Oh won't you zuv heal? I won't you gv all right, welcome back. Good to have you with Usay listen Nature's Way Resources. I need you to write something on your calendar. It's coming up. It's coming up October twelfth, Saturday, October twelfth, Nature's Way Resources is having their Fall festival and you need to see this. It is the shindig of the season. Latin food, local vendors, plant sales, live music, children's activities. It's going to be a blast. They'll be all kinds of booths and tables. Certainly, they got the plants there, and of course when you're out there, you got to pick up their stuff that is always top quality, from compost to souls, tumultus. Nature's Way Resources has been doing this for a long time and they really perfected the whole thing. I'll be there at the Fall Festival from eleven thirty to one thirty on Saturday October twelfth. Saturday October twelfth, eleven thirty to one thirty. Now the festival will go on longer than that. It'll be from nine to two, but over the lunch, over the lunch couple hours there. I'll be there at the Fall Festival entering your gardening questions. I hope you come see me. Don't forget too at Nature's Way Fungal Friday sale is still on twenty percent off fungal compost on Friday's bag and bulk. All right, we're going to head back now to Brett in Montgomery. Hello Brett, and let's get back to your question. You were talking about the Chinese francestry that had a fungus right.
Speaker 14: Well, I don't know that it's a fungus. I was told it could be. I can't pronounce is it ce er cos po r oi d fun guy. So I don't know what that was.
Speaker 3: I know what it was the last the last few letters. Someone went off the rail there. But I know what they're talking about. But those are spots on the leaves. Sircaspara is a spot. It's not a general browning of the leaf whicher you see in spots are just kind of like large areas of brown.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm kind of getting like the bottom half the whatever you want, the furthest away from the stem. The ends of the leaves are turning brown.
Speaker 6: Quite a few of them, and I have two of them in.
Speaker 14: The backyard and I may be drown on them. I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you think your water them at least enough, maybe too much. So when did you plant those things?
Speaker 14: I'm going to say six months ago.
Speaker 3: They're fairly new, Okay, Yeah, so they have a very limited root system. Well, in that limited root system, pretty much everything they're taking up is still mostly in the area where those the plant root ball went in. You know, when you pulled it out of the pot, that cylinder of roots and soil that's still where most of the roots are. So if you put that in the clay soil in the overwater, you end up with an underground bathtub and the roots are submerged and can't get oxygen. If the underwatering is so easy, because you know in the garden centers they're having to water those things every day to keep that little small area of roots supplying the leaves all over the plant, and so it's easy for them to get too dry in the ground because even though the soil around may be moist, the roots aren't out there much. They're still primarily confined to that pot area, and so I still think underwatering at times could be it. I know it's been a long hot summer and as a result plants have been struggling. I wouldn't get too alarmed. Just dig down, you know, with your fingers or a trowel, ride beside where that original root ball was and feel the soil. Go down about three or four inches and feel the soil. If it's moist, that's good. If it's getting a little dry, give it some water and let's get it on in the fall. They're going to drop their leaves and by spring, by next summer, they'll be much better prepared.
Speaker 14: All right, sounds good. I appreciate it, you bet, Brent.
Speaker 3: That's a great tree. But glad you got it. All right, you're listening to Garden Line and I'm your host, Skip Richter and here's the phone number seven one three two one two K t R H. Fix my Slab Foundation Repair. You hear me talk about them all the time. I think the world of them because you know, when I when it comes to sponsors, we want people to take care of their customers, which in this case is my listeners, and that that matters to me. And Ty at Fixed my Slab has been doing this twenty three years. Ty. When Ty says he's going to show up, he shows up at that time. When when Ty gives you a price, it's going to be a fair price. And when Ty does a job, it's going to be fixed. And if you don't need work, he'll tell you that. You know, not every little tiny bit of movement requires great measures to respond to. But he knows the difference and he knows how to do it right. Fixmslab dot com. Fix myslab dot com. You got cracks in the sheet rock, got cracks in the brick outside, You got doors that are sticking, You got driveways that are cracking, sidewalks that are heaving up. He can do all of that and more. Fix my slab. Tell them you're a guardenline listener. You get a free estimate for garden line listeners. Make sure and tell them that two eight one two five five forty ninety nine two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine or fixmyslab dot com. We're going to go now to Spring, Texas and talk to Kent. Hello Kent, good morning morning. How can we help.
Speaker 6: Skiff? I have listened to you quite a bit and I really value I value your input. I have a quick question with regarding to a tree. Early this year, I lost a nut all oak and I think it was due to bores, and so I'm I'm intending to replace that tree with another nutall oak, and I was wondering if there's any kind of recommended soil treatment that I need to do before I plant that tree. In other words, of bores, are they in the four or or what?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, no they're not. Tell me why do you think you lost it to bors. What did you see?
Speaker 6: Well, I noticed that there were holes around the bark. This was about a six or year old tree. But I did not see any kind of stall dust or anything of that nature.
Speaker 3: But we had just okay, you.
Speaker 6: Know, going through a big drought and then the previous year we had a freeze appearance spring. So I was just concerned that if I put another tree in, then.
Speaker 15: What I also.
Speaker 6: Have a problem with bars?
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, Well Kent, if you saw holes and no saw dust, you said six to eight year old tree? Was that correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Rough?
Speaker 3: Yah, okay, so that tree could have had coal damage that kills some bark on one side, and that is not unusual with the cold we had less than six to eight years ago. February twenty one was horrible, and then we had a December freeze I believe about a year after that. The bottom line is borers go after week and stress trees, primarily. Nudall is an outstanding oak. It's a good choice. I'm glad you're replacing it with a nutdall because it's a good one. There's nothing you do in the soil that fixes borers. So what I would recommend is, if you want to do some amending of the soil. Do it in a really large area, mixing some compost in, and then dig the hole. Don't dig a hole and then put compost in the hole. That that just creates an underground bathtob you want to blend in, so blend in compost in a larger area, dig the hole. Plant the tree at the same depth it was before. If you're not sure, the topmost root on your tree should be right close to the soil level. Salt surface okay, and water in really good. Generally we just don't have problems with borers on those trees. I think that the boar you had was an after the fact boor. There are bores that tunnel in the living tissues around the trunk, and that's where we see sap and sawdust coming out. And then there are bores that go into the interior wood and you may get some sawdust out on that as well. But there there are bores that are the trees already on its way down, and then the boor shows up and.
Speaker 6: Had Yeah, I agree with you, where it probably was a stress tree and the moors took advantage of it, I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the best get that new tree in Yes, but let me just tell you this can't get it done this fall. That's the best planting time. It gives that tree, that's best shot. If there's any roots going around the outside of the pot, or you see roots from when the pot was when it was in a smaller pot going around, cut those roots. It's okay to cut them. I would do that planting in October. Ideally, you can plan any month of the year, but October November is probably prime time. And then next spring start to fertilize it. Make sure it always has a good soaking of water, and see how fast we can get that thing growing.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, skiff, thank you very much for your time. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, you bet absolutely happy to do that. If you are ready to do your lawn for fall, and I hope you are. We are entering the best season of the year for the most important fertilization of the year, and that's the fall fertilization and nitrophos is created. The Texas three step. Yep, that's a dance, but this dance is in a dance hall. It's in your lawn. Not a two step. It's a three step. What are the three fertilizer we control disease control fertilizer is Nitropos fall special winteriser Nitrofoss fall Special. It's the only time of year you hear me talk about Nitrofus fall specials. In the fall it has higher potassium levels, a little less nitrogen, and that is the blend that helps the plant produce the carbohydrates that makes it more cold, hardy and helps it come out in the spring better. Second step barricade nitrofus barricade. It's a pre emergent granule. You apply it out as evenly as you can. Follow the label. Always follow the label. Watered in with about a third of an inch of water, It's moves to the sole surface and it stops all the winter weeds that are going to be germinating over the next two or three months. And finally, Nitropuss turf eagle fungicide is a systemic fungicide that will soak into the tissues. So when brown patch, large patch take all root run when they arrive, it's ready. Don't wait until after you see circles. Nitropus turf eagle. Now you're going to find three step that varyings hardware both the one on Bissonet and Westheimer AUSPA eight and we'll good to have you with us. Say hey, listen, give us a call seven one three two one two k t r H. If you have a gardening question, I'll be happy to visit with you about that. By the way, if you want to get eye to eye and ask me questions, come down to Wharton Feed and Ace today. It's a later appearance in my normal because Wharton's ways out there for me to get to. From one o'clock to three o'clock Wharton Feed and Ace, we are going to be giving away night Foss is providing two bags of their fall special, the one I've been talking about. Their two bags of their barricade, the one I've been talking about. You might get lucky in one one. If you don't, they got plenty of them there at Wharton Feed and Ace. Bedina is going to be providing some samples of their product plants from green Leaf Plants. They'll be giving away some plants from green Leaf Plants. There are Wharton Feed and Ace and a gift certificate from the muck Boot Company. And when it finally starts training, you're gonna need some muck boots anyway. So I'm just saying, bring me samples of plants, things to identify, bring me photos on your phone. If you don't talk about landscaping the area, here's a photo. What do I do? Or Hey, my neighbor's got this plant? What is it? We'll do all that and more. Look forward to meeting you. Always love to get out there. I don't get to get out as far as Wharton very often. In fact, it's the first time I've been out there, and I love to meet people that listen to garden Line. It's kind of an eye to eye, face to face. You can hear the see the face that you hear the voice of Do I say that right? I think I said that right. Anyway, I'll be there from one to three today and I hope that you will come out. It is bird travel season. Birds have been booking with their travel agents for some time now. The hummingbirds are stocking up on nectar to make a trip across the Gulf of Mexico. And can we just talk here a minute, How on earth does a hummingbird with wings that beat sixty times a second fly all the way across the Gulf of Mexico. I mean I couldn't fly across the beach, much less the ocean like that. How do they do it? They do it? You need to help them out, give them plants that attract them, but also give them something in a form of sugar water and a bird feeder. And Wibird's Unlimited is the place for anything bird, including everything hummingbird. Do you They have several different types of bird feeders. I love I have two of them. I love them, absolutely love them. They have the nectar defender so that you know it's gonna be ninety plus degrees this week, and you put sugar water out in ninety degree weather and after two or three days, it's getting kind of funky out there, and you got to change it out with nectar defender to last over a week out in the landscapes. That makes it really easy. I got some in my feeders right now. Baltimore Orioles have been passing through. You know, if you need bird houses, if you need bird feeders, but especially if you need bird seed. Warbird's Unlimited, as you covered every kind of blend for every kind of bird and their seed. They have something called no mess. What does that mean? Basically? What that means is all the shells and stuff to get dropped on the ground, or bird seed that they don't want to eat, they get dropped on the ground. You don't have that with their no mess blends and that way when you buy seed, you get bird food. Cheap bird food is full of red bebes. The birds kick it on the ground because they don't like it. It's not their favorite feed. With Wildbirds feeds, if you buy a pound of feed, you get a bound in a bird's tummy somewhere out in your landscape. So let's get ready. Winner is going to be a great time for feeding birds. You need to get stocked up. Warbirds Unlimited wbu dot com forward Slash Houston gives you the six Wildbirds stores that are here in the Greater Houston area, so it makes it really easy. I was at a Wildbird's down Clear Lake the other I'm gonna be at another Walbirds later this fall. I'll be to you more about that later. Walbirds is just a great place to visit. I always like going in there. It's kind of fun and inspiring. And the folks that are helping you know what they're talking about out they can guide you. They they understand everything. You all the questions you have someone who's asking me questions about hot pepper and bird feeding there, I just said, go talk to those people over there. They know all about this kind of stuff. There were several other questions that I had no idea, and sure enough they did. In fact, they printed out something right from their printer there in Wildbirds and said, here's the answer to your question. Everything you need to know doesn't surprise me. That's how they do business. You are listening to garden Line. The number is seven one three two one two k t rh RCW Nursery is one of those garden centers where when you go there you find everything you need. And if there is something that you want that they don't have, ask them because they probably can get it. That's why I like to call them to get it. Got it Nursery. If they don't have it, they'll get They'll do their best to find it. The website is RCW nurseries dot com. They're the garden center that's there. Were built. Way eight comes into intersects with FM two forty nine Tumble Parkway. Great selection of roses by the way right now Shrubs twenty percent off at RCW Nursery, Big beautiful shrubs, gorgeous shrubs like they have the gold dust Cuba, which if you want a beautiful green shrub in a shady area, very shady area, a Cuba can do it. Gold dust a Cuba. It's really beautiful. They got hanging baskets trees this month fifteen percent off. Now, how much longer does this month last? Well, it's September twenty eighth. Get out there, Get out there now. Seven gallons to two hundred. You get a tree too big for you to carry and plant, they'll come out. They can do it. They've got Mexican white oaks. They got two hundred gallon magnolias. You want an instant southern magnolia, go to RCW now, hurry up. Fifteen percent off. Don't delay. There is not a better planting season of the year down fall for woody ornamentals, especially, so you do it now and that tree has a better chance of surviving when next summer comes. I'm just saying that's my advice. All Right, we're going to go out to the phones now and we're gonna talk to Bill Hope. Bill, Yeah, just call and hear the phone. Let's start. Let's see how far we can get on. We'll come back after birth. Go ahead. Yes, I had.
Speaker 17: Some areas in my Saint Augustine in my front yard that since spring has been uh uh running right, kind of like straws. I put out fungicide. I put out pesticide. I've dug up spots or no grubs. I put out killer for chance bugs. Uh fertilized.
Speaker 15: I've watered, I've got a sprink.
Speaker 3: I just don't know what to do.
Speaker 6: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you that's a wide open kt r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 9: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Ricard.
Speaker 11: Just watch him ass.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back guard Line. We are glad to have you with us today on a good Saturday. I'm looking forward to this Saturday. Be heading down to Wharton Feed and Ace in Wharton, Texas. For those of you way southwest, you ought to be swinging by there, Say hi today from one to three o'clock. I'll be there from one pm to three pm. Be giving away some night frosses, providing actually some two bags of fall special two bags of barricade. We got some Medina samples to give away plants from green Lay Plants and a gift certificate certificate that's easy for you to say, from the muck Boot Company. From the muck Boot Company, we get some rain in here. You need some mug boots. Well, our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H if you'd like to call in and ask us a question. We're going to go straight out to Roger and Richmond. Hello, Roger, welcome to garden Line. Hello. Yes, I have a quick question.
Speaker 18: I just installed a brand new SOD and I had spaced them because it was they took like four palettes and so it's still not enough. So I faced them like a foot apart. And what's the best fertilizer and how much should I waterate? I've been watering every day for about about twenty minutes on the sprin closed system, and then, uh, we'll best fertilizer I can put on it right now?
Speaker 3: Okay, generally we would water twice a day for the first week, once a day for the second week, and then back off from there. It's but the volume twenty minutes, I don't know how fast your sprinklers put out water, but it could be too much or it could be just right depending on how much water they put out. But the main thing is keep it moist. We got another week of ninety mid nineties or so, and so you just need to know it. It has very little roots. Therefore it needs frequent waterings. Not necessarily a lot of water twice a week, twice a day, but it needs water regularly to supply it. So just just a tip there on that. As far as the fertilization is concerned, you could use a you want to use a fall fertilizer, one that is designed for fall. So for example, Nelson Blackfeet has one called carbo Load carbo load, and you're going to find carbo load works just fine for it. It's got that higher potassium and it works well in helping that plant produce carbohydrates. That's why it has that name. It's part of their turf Star line. A bag of carbo load will cover about five thousand square feet and your grass will make the carbs necessary to get stronger, to go into winter cold and to come out and spring better. So carbo load is the one you want. Now you've got some spaces in there of a foot between the pieces of sod. You got a couple of options. One, your grass is not going to do a lot of growing in terms of sending out runners and all of that. As we go further into fall it slows down. You might want to put on a pre emergent herbicide, but I kind of have a I kind of got mixed feelings about that right now, And I'll tell you why. If you put on a pre emergent herbside like barricade from nitrophoss, it will prevent the weed seeds that are going to be coming up this fall from filling your lawn full of weeds in those open bear soil spaces. However, don't overdo it because you want that product to be breaking down next spring when the grass runners are starting to come in, because you won't want to use the barricade in spring, because your grass is going to be crawling new runners out there and trying to get roots in the ground. And that is how barricade fights weeds is by stopping the roots from being able to expand into their soil. Was that confusing, Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 18: I'll work on it, and I'm kind of got a couple, you know, lead now, so that'll give me something to work on our Google carbo load.
Speaker 6: Where do I get that?
Speaker 5: At?
Speaker 3: Ace Hardware stores have got that? You're out there, you could probably Yeah, you might want to try try one of the Enchendas Jennifer Forest, Channa Gardens. They may carry that. I just haven't looked to see what they're carrying in the way of of those those fertilizers they might have, but if not the Ace Hardware store, there's a plantation Ace and Richmond. It's uh, kind of on the Katie fullsher side up there, kind of up that in a little bit to the east, so that direction, I know plantations, got it? Yeah, just let me let me just yeah, barricade this thing, don't do it. Don't Yeah, don't do barricade in the spring. That's all you need to remember.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 18: I appreciate you taking my call, and I love to listen to your show every morning, every Saturday morning that you work in the garage and listen to this.
Speaker 3: Well, I love the fact that you're listening. Thanks a lot. I appreciate that call. Take care. Yeah, that is very important. Yeah, Nelson's that tur Turugh Star carbo load is the product that I was recommending to them. You're gonna find it a lot of places, easy to find. It's one of the excellent fall fertilizers. It's on my gardening schedule at gardeningwith Skip dot com Garden with Skip dot Com. Let's see, oh I wanted to mention. I talked about garden centers out in the Richmond area and Chanted Gardens is an outstanding garden center. They are on the Katie Folscher side of Richmond going north. They're on FM three fifty nine, three fifty nine. Again the name of the place Enchanted Gardens. Enchanted Gardens, and right now they are stocked up for fall. You are going to find plants that are fall color. You're going to find they still have like things like petunias that will carry you up until the first frost, which should be a long way away still, So get out there and enjoy that. By the way, Andy is going to be out there doing a fall vegetable seminar. We think the world of Andy for Medina and she's going to be doing that today out there. By the way, they're not going to start that. It's ten am, right when the show's over, so again you can go to that and then hey, while you're heading southwest, just keep driving. I'll be at Wharton feed Nace from one to three. But anyway, in Chended Gardens, beautiful baskets, great decorations for your home coming up later in October. They're going to have a welcome basket make and take a welcome basket making take go. On their social media, you'll see stuff like that. Do you need vegetables, they got them. Do you need fall color plants, they got them. Do you need trees, shrubs, vines, herbs, They got it all in Chended Gardens on the Katie Fusher side of Richmond FM three point fifty nine. The website in Chended Gardens Richmond dot com. We're going to go now to talk to Marty in Fairfield. Hello, Marty morning.
Speaker 19: Skip question about I killed my netgrass and doveweed. I know it's not dove wheed whatever the other name is. It did not kill my Saint Augustine, So I'm pretty excited about that. That's my go to now. But now I.
Speaker 3: Need I don't know use for that. I'm curious the weed beater ultra.
Speaker 19: Okay, anyway, I used the weed beater ultra. It killed the nutgrass, it killed the Virginia button weed weed, whatever you want to call it, and it also killed the bermuda, which I was glad about. Now I don't know whether I'm going back with Saint Augustine or whether I'm going to put in a walking path or whatever. If I do the Saint Augustine, I need to probably scratch the surface of the soil correct before I lay down any sod.
Speaker 3: It's a little helpful. I mean, if you didn't do it, it's not the end of the world. But if you can scratch it a little bit, it helps get good sod to soil contact, which is kind of important. Okay, Marty, I'm gonna, I'm gonna. I'm not gonna question your honesty or integrity, but we beat her. Altars should not have killed bermuda grass, and it should not have killed that sage. Now maybe it killed it back, but let's just go with the bermuda. I'm not convinced that the bermuda is really completely gone.
Speaker 19: So well it's dead, you can okay, Well, and you know what, on one part of the yard one and in my garden, I.
Speaker 20: I only did.
Speaker 3: I did what something else that you told me.
Speaker 19: But in my yard I had so much of the Virginia button weed that I put weed beater ultra all over it.
Speaker 20: And it did kill it killed it. It killed the bermuda.
Speaker 19: And I all I did is I put in one of two teeths foods of the weed beater ultra. I put it in a watering can and I just went around and sprinkled it all over every bit that I could. But it didn't kill the Saint August Tin.
Speaker 3: Hmm, all right, well, I have no I have no words on that. So I do know this. When like I'm telling people to use whatever to kill bermuda grass, I always say, just hang around if we've got some warm temperatures, see if it re sprouts, because you just almost never get all of it. Even if you use something that's going to be very effective against it, you just don't get all of it. And so I would I would, just i'd watch it so that you make sure and not have re sprouting after you put new stuff down.
Speaker 7: I haven't, I really have been.
Speaker 19: I'm I'm very determined to get it out of my garden. But anyway, okay, so I'm not trying to go in were with this other than I wanted to either lace and bermuda or not bermuda some Saint Augustine, scratch it planet. Is it okay now to put it down now?
Speaker 3: But don't. If you're going to do it, don't delay one bit because as we move into fall, like later in October November, that grassroots are going to really not be growing as much. So if you can get it down soon this week ideally, and get it watered in, remember twice a week the first week because we're gonna have ninety five degrees this week, and then once a week the second week, just because you don't want it to go into any kind of stress. Get those roots down. By the third week, you're backing off the water, and hopefully by then you're getting enough roots down to have really good success with it. By about the third week, usually grass comes in with enough nutrition to not have to fertilize for a mind. But I might go ahead and put down a fall fertilizer on it. Just don't overdo it, but fall fertilizer on it sometime maybe you know, toward mid to end of October. Just get a little down to have it ready to go. We're going to do everything you can to get that grass strong before going into winter, just in case we have one of those unusually cold winners.
Speaker 20: Yes, sir, okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate your help. All right, thanks for the call, Take care by bye. All right, folks, you know we were talking about fall fertilizers and stuff. Nitrofoss has their three step one two three simple as that do you do two steps on the dance floor, you do three steps on the lawn. Night Fuss Fall Special Winter Riser. That's the fertilizer from Nitrofoss four fall applications designed for fall number two Nitrofuss Barricade. That's the weed control. It's a pre emergent weed control. Just talking with Marty about putting down sod. Do not put down pre emergent products before laying sod because they stop the roots from growing. That's how they kill the weeds. When the reach try to sprout, it kills it, doesn't let the root grow and it kills it. It's not going to kill the grass, but you won't be able to get it rooted in. So let's get that grass fully rooted in and then barricade. So if you're putting on new grass, or you have in the last week or so, just hold off on the barricade. Let's go ahead and just do it in the spring. I think that would be the best. Then nitropous eagle turf fungicide, systemic fungicide. Here comes the brown pat circles, not when you've already treated with eagle. Here comes take our root rot. It also prevents that if you wait until the circles appear, you're not going to have the results you want because the damage will have already been done. One, two, three from nitrophos three steps fertilizer, fall special barricade for weeds, preventing seeds, and eagle tour fungicides for diseases. You're going to find it at Enchended Forrest and Rechmond, aast hardware city on Memorial Drive up in Montgomery. Go to Gym's Hardware. If you're an Alvin, go to Stanton Shopping Center and you can find all those products. Let's go now to Tom and Dickinson. Hello Tom, and welcome to garden.
Speaker 21: Hey, how are you doing this morning?
Speaker 3: I'm good, sir. Get that radio off so we can talk over the phone, and how can I help?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 21: I have a plumb tree in the backyard and we've lived in this house for a few years. It was here when we got here. It's a lot of leaves, a lot of growth, not a whole lot of fruit, and what does come on doesn't seem to set. And then over our last when we had Barrel that big windstorm come through here, it was rocking. You could see the root ball kind of moving. Since then, it's been just kind of sickly looking and losing leaves. And I know we're just starting to change seasons, but it seemed like it was like a head of nor where it normally is. So should I be concerned? Is something going on with this guy?
Speaker 3: When did you plant it?
Speaker 21: I didn't plan it. It was here we moved into the house.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's been in for at least a year or so.
Speaker 21: Oh no, No, it's a big tree.
Speaker 3: It's a mature tree. Okay, Okay, Well, a lot of our plants due to the heat, extended heat that we've had, or starting to drop some leaves. I've got some stuff in my yard that's dropping the leaves just because I wasn't watering the heck out of it. All the time. I think it'll be fine. It just gonna be a little bit of an early leaf drop. Just make sure we're going through another week in ninety five. So give it a really good soaking, you know, put something out there to measure your sprinkler, water and water until you've caught an inch. If you have to do that too, three applications because it's running off, do it that way, but totally within whatever day you water, give it an inch of water to get that down in the ground a little deeper, and I think you're gonna be just fine with that tree.
Speaker 21: So we're going on our third year here, and like I said, we don't get a good set of the fruit. What should I be doing this time of year going into next year to give it a better chance of a better crop?
Speaker 3: Okay? What variety of plum do you have?
Speaker 21: I don't know. They're dark purple.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 21: I'm not a Okay, I'm not very good at all this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, a lot of plums need two varieties to cross pollinate and do the best fruit set. Okay, Yeah, Methley plums, they they're pretty good at self fruiting, and they are they are a purplish plum, so you may have a methylee, in which case we didn't answer the question. Because you got a plumb that should sell fruit, why isn't it fruiting? But if it requires a pollinator, that's the reason they're not setting. If it doesn't require pollinator, then it has to be something preventing bees and pollinators from getting to them. Typically, if we or neighbors are using a lot of pesticide or insecticides on plants, that kills the bees, and then you don't have the bees, you can't get the pollinating done. So it's going to be one of those two things too.
Speaker 21: I have not seen a lot of bees there. We've been in the house for three years. I haven't seen a lot of bees here at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that could be part of it. I don't have to tell you on that we need to get some bees in there. You know, you're probably not going to go put in a backyard high but that would be one solution. You can do pollinating yourself by going around with a little artist paintbrush. Pretty tedious for big old tree like that, but you might try that. Get a little, you know, a little artist brush and just sort of tickle the flowers and go around tickling all the flowers, and you'll be transporting pollen when you do that. And even if you do it to one branch and then watch it and if it sets fruit, you know what was missing.
Speaker 21: That tells me what's going on.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, okay, thank you, thanks a lot, appreciate the call. But hey, you know what, just just for fun, just to give us an one extra tip for you, you might want to go ahead. I know Tom's you're listening hopefully by by the radio. Now, Tom, if you have a neighbor that has a what you think is probably a different kind of plumb tree, and it's blooming when yours is blooming, take if you they'll let you. Just snip a branch out of it, a small branch, put it in something to hold water, like a vase I usually use like a soft drink. Can put the stem right through the hole, put some water in there, and hang it in your tree, and the bees will visit those flowers in yours. Now, that only lasts for a couple of days and you need to put a new branch in. But if you do that and you start to see results, that's another sign that cross pollinating maybe what you needed. Hopefully that will be helpful for you. You know, we love our feed stores here on Garden Line, and D and D Feed in Tomball is an outstanding feed store. They're out west of town on twenty nine to twenty. You got out west of Tomball on the left hand side as you're driving out. They have the fertilizers I talk about here on Garden I especially night foss, have a really good supply of nitrofoss out there. They're fertilizers.
Speaker 13: I know.
Speaker 3: I've seen the microlives out there as well. They are going to have the fertilizers for this season. And I've been talking about barricade. They've got that out there as well. At D and D Feed, Leaf mol compost, rose soil, fruit and berry and citrus compost, the vegetable and herb mix for bed mixes. It's all a D and defeat again. They're out west of Tomball two eight, one, three, five, one seventy one forty four. I'll be right back, folks than you are.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: Houston's News Why there were traffic.
Speaker 5: Plus freaking news twenty four to seven.
Speaker 22: This is News Radio seven forty KTRH.
Speaker 11: Five Everywhere with irm.
Speaker 3: More of what's happening now from the John Morris Services Studios, Michigan in play for the Former President. I'm Jared Lewis. It's eight thirty on news Radio seven forty KHRH with trafficing Whether together. Let's send it back to Gary Mack. Welcome back, Welcome back to the garden Line. Good to have you with us. Hey, I've talked about treecare a lot this summer after we had those storms that really wrecked havoc on the trees. I'm surprised there's a living standing tree in the Greater Houston area with the storms, the hurricane and the other beds from we had come through. Well, you know, affordable tree care is our go to arborist here with Guardline. Martin spoon Moore does great work. He knows what he's doing and that is important. Do not let anyone touch your trees. It doesn't know what they're doing. They can do damage that is forever. The tree never recovers from a really bad pruning job. Call Martin. The best time to get your tree pruned. It starts now really and it goes all the way through February. You need to call him and get on the schedule because he stays busy, because he does good work. Tell him you're a guarden line listener, gets you up to the front of the line. He can prune your trees, he does deep root feeding. He have just too general overall check of the tree health. If you've been seeing someone while ago I was talking about the wind was blowing on their plumb tree and it was moving in the soil. If you see that kind of saw movement at the base from the storms, that is a sample or an example that there is some issues going with that tree's anchorage and those storms are rough again. October to February is a short window, So call now to get on the schedule. I'd advise you to go ahead and get that booked so you can make sure that when you need the work done, you'll get it done. And it may be whatever month he gets there to do it is okay. This this winter times when we want to get the work done and fall by the way. Uh, just you got to call him seven one three six nine nine two six sixty three seven one three six nine nine two six six three. When you call, you're going to either talk to Martin or his wife Joe. That's who enters the phone. The owners do. If you don't get them, you've called the wrong place. Hang up and dial seven month three six nine nine two six sixty three. Here's his website for those of you who like to go that route. Aff Tree service dot com. We're going to go out now to Mike and Brunham. Hello, Mike, Welcome to Dovermine.
Speaker 5: Hello sir, thank you, sir, good morning.
Speaker 9: I'm just calling to trying to find out what's the best fall lawn organic fertilizer.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of great products out on the market. Uh, Microlife makes one called brown Patch. Micro Life brown Patch is one of those products, widely, widely available. You're not going to have trouble finding that, you know, throughout the greater Houston area. I would say, uh, the brown Patch would be the one for you for an organ and it's time to go ahead and get that one now. You need you need to go ahead and get it, get it.
Speaker 6: Done now, Okay, yes, sir, so Microlife brown Patch.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. And if you think you're going to find Microlife well plants and things down south of Brenham, they're going to carry micro Life brown patch if you don't mind jumping over to to blue Bonnet House in Chapel Hill. They've got it over there too.
Speaker 6: Sounds great.
Speaker 14: I appreciate some time, sir.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, thank you, appreciate your time. Oh I was going to tell you I forgot there's one more. It's right there in Brenham Ace Hardware, Brunham on Austin, North Austin Parkway's got.
Speaker 6: It perfect you so much, sir, all right, every day.
Speaker 3: All right, you are listening to garden Line. If you'd like to give us a call, here is our number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four And yes, microlife brown patch also. And this is just what I'm recommending you know, the brown patch. One of the way, the reason they call it brown patch is it's got a lot of beneficial microbes that populate that plant surface and makes it more difficult for diseases like brown patch or large patch to In fact, just think of it as putting good guys out there as the guard on the border the edges of the plant that are key being the diseases from getting into the plant. Itself. I would also consider if you're going to use that, why not go ahead and do their inoculant product called Microlife bio inoculant. It is loaded with sixty three different beneficial micro organisms. And you can do this as a granule too. You can put it out as you put out your fertilizer. Just first through the fertilization, then follow up with the bioinoculant or vice versa. Just to them separately and watered in water in really good. Get that water splashing around in there and distributing those things as you water. That is what I would recommend you do. Our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H Plants for All Seasons is one of those garden centers. You know when you walk in you're going to get good service. You know when you walk in you're gonna get good plants that want to grow here because they know what grows here. They've they've been in this since nineteen seventy three here in the Houstonnario. So they are veterans in terms of knowing how to grow things and what to grow and so on. You can take samples in there and they will give you an accurate answer. You know, our mom and pop nurseries are I talk about them all the time. They are the place to go to get those kind of answers and plants for all seasons. Right there, just north of Dueta on fm Are on Highway two forty nine, which is Tambo Parkway. That's where they are the easy out. They've got a great selection of fertilizers. In fact, they have a really good deal some sort of sale on the soil types of products right now. You need to ask them about that when you go in. And when you get in there, you gotta go home with a lot of cool fall plants because they are loaded with beautiful fall color at Plants for all seasons. Plants for all seasons. Dot com is the website, the phone number two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six. As I like to say, if your brown thumb needs to be turned green, go in there. If you've got a green thumb, take your green thumb in there with you. You still need to visit because they can make it even greener. The air plants for all seasons. If you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt rh. You know, we always get a flush of calls right at the end of the day, and it typically it's more than I can get to at that time. So I was trying to get people to call a little bit earlier because occasionally through the day I get caught up. Here, we get some breaks and we can help you with the questions that you might have. You know that soil is the key to success. That that is simple. Soil is the key to success, and Heirloom Soils has an array of products that will help you have success. They have a deal going on right now. If you're interested in in some bulk and you were willing to go out to the Porter Location. Porter Location, that's where Heirloom Soils are made. They have a limited time special you can you can pick up or have a delivery of Heirloom Rose soil or their Veggie and Herb mix and you get a free bag of micro Life sixty four fertilizer. If you haven't been to their website, it's Heirloomsoils dot com. Heirloomsoils dot com. And the reason I'm sending you there is you can see all the products that they have. I could spend a whole segment of the show just naming all the products that they have at Heirloom Soil, from leaf mold to rose sooil to veggie soil to the works potting soil, on and on and on, all quality available by bag all over town and available by bulk as well. Go pick it up or have them deliver it. Either way, It's time for me to take a break, which is what I'm going to do. I will be right back with your gardening questions. The guard Line the lad to have you with us today. Look forward to visiting with you if you got garden about it? To Peter, Hey, Peter, where.
Speaker 6: You call them from Collins in Brookshire, Texas.
Speaker 14: Good morning, you get all right?
Speaker 3: Well, good welcome the guard Line.
Speaker 9: I've got it.
Speaker 14: Come part question.
Speaker 9: I've got four peach trees that basically died above the graft, but then at the roof base they do all some water sprouts, I guess, and I was wondering, can I graft those water sprouts with some variety of peach trees that I still have, and if so, what's the best time to grasp them?
Speaker 3: The best time, yes, you can. The best time is to do a tea bud on the new shoots that are coming up out of the base in the spring. Once we get new growth where we say that park that if you were to break them and peel them, you'd streak the outer bark off. In the winter time, it's not slipping, and if you break them, it's hard to pull the bark away from the inner. But in spring, once they get growing, let's say, let's talk about probably April May. In that time, you can do the tea bud when you go online and search for how to do a tea bude and it'll tell you. And that's the simplest one we make, essentially a little capital tea shaped cut in the shot coming out of the base of your tree, and you slip a bud right in that tea.
Speaker 23: Fantastic, Thank you, sir, appreciate it very much.
Speaker 3: All right, good luck with that. Thank you, Ey, take care you bet. We're going to go now to Liberty and talk to Tracy. Hello, Tracy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Good morning, skimp. I got a quick question.
Speaker 20: I bought some.
Speaker 23: BlackBerry plants from Stark Brothers and they shift them. They were beautiful when they got here. I repotted them and the only thing I had on hand was miracle growth, and after repotting them, I'll spray them down with America grow in my sprayer, and they all died within a week. Any idea what went wrong?
Speaker 14: Okay, too much a miracle growth the trend.
Speaker 3: It could be miracle grows a synthetic salt based fertilizer, and if you mix it too strong, it's like putting salt water, you know, on a plant, the same effect that you hurt that burning it can do that, and so that's possible. It's also since the whole thing died and you didn't just burn the top, I'm thinking it's also possible that maybe some roots dried out in that planet transplanting process, or maybe en root to you or after planting or something. Those plants are young and tender and not that big, and when you bought them it was plants, not root cuttings right from start.
Speaker 23: Yes, sir, it was a plant.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, something dried out there, I think is a primary problem. But yes, miracles grow too strong, will burn burn plants.
Speaker 23: Okay, I was curious, and I'm gonna try it again. H We'll see what happens. I appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: Well, well, yeah, Tracy, and I would suggest that maybe you kind of look around here locally for some of the blackberries that we sell.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 3: Stark has been in fruit tree business a long time. They're in louisinga, Mississippi up on the river or Mississippi, Missouri up on the river. Uh, and some of the blackberries they have don't do well here. And so okay, I don't know what you got.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 3: Do you want thornless or thorny, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 23: I'm not that particular. Whatever. We'll thrive here to be able to make jelly.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay. Well, if it's a thorny variety, look for one that has the name of a Native American tribe, such as Shawnee. That kind of name Choctaw, Shawnee are Rappah. Those kinds of names mean that it's it's a good thorny for our area. If you want thornless, look for one that the first two words are prime prime and then a r K prime arc, and there's a primary freedom traveler prime arc. Prime means that it bears the first year normal blackberries. You have to grow a shoote one year. It goes through winter and bears the following year prim acne bearing ones like the two prime arks. I told you they're going to bear the first year the shoot grows and also after that and arc just means they were bred in Arkansas's our best blackberries that we have down here now were all bred in Arkansas at the University of Arkansas.
Speaker 23: Well, I'll look those, I do. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, you're out there in Liberty. You're not too far away from from more in Southern Garden in Kingwood. I bet they've got him out there, but call them first.
Speaker 23: I'll check on that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Yes, sir, Yes, sir, you bet. Tracy take care, Uh watching my clock. This time we're going to go to Mike in China, Texas. Hey, Mike, how can we help see?
Speaker 18: I have a little a problem.
Speaker 6: I have a very old.
Speaker 1: Kate jasmine plant that was my great grandfather's that we moved several.
Speaker 14: Times and I need to move it again. But it was the best time. Or can I just take a cutting and move it because my brothers did it before, but he's no longer with us.
Speaker 23: I have no idea how to move.
Speaker 3: You said cape jasmine, right.
Speaker 9: Yes, sirs.
Speaker 23: The white flowers really sweet smell almost like a magnolia, the sweeter.
Speaker 3: All right, the best time is to get out of this heat and let it cool off. So it may be late October, it may be November. Either of those are generally good. But you want to you want to dig it and get wider rather than deeper. Right, Okay, roots, if you if you can get down even six eight inches deep is more way more than eight inches, way more than enough. And you need to do on depth. But about you, if you can get a foot out on each side, slide it up onto a tarp. I've done that and then sort of wrap the tarp around the base of the plant and tied it off. So I keep that roots moist, very important to keep of moist. Get them to the new spot, slide it off the tarp back where it's going to grow, and then watered in really good. And just remember the thing has no roots because you've come all off when you dug it up, no matter how much you treat it. And so you've got to keep that little root ball moist and it'll get established all winter and it'll be okay next spring.
Speaker 9: Ok.
Speaker 23: I need to add some special type of soil or and uh we have China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would get I would get a good quality bed mix, you know, like a roast soil that you see. We talk about rose soils for sale all the time. Get a roast ol, spread it out real good, mix it in with the soil you have, and then add a little more on top, and then dig the hole after all that, and plant in it. Don't don't dig a hole and put rose soil in the hole. Use in an area and that plant will be very very happy.
Speaker 23: Okay.
Speaker 18: I have a backdough, so digging it that's not a problem, just too.
Speaker 23: But didn't want to move it and shock and kill it.
Speaker 14: Because it's been been with the family for many, many years.
Speaker 3: I understand, well the thing I recommend. If you'll do that, you'll be good. Hey, thanks for the call, Mike. I appreciate that. Yeah. I mentioned while I got a second to uh who is it Tracy and Liberty about blackberries and said, go over to Warren Southern Gardens. Warren Southern Gardens has an outste ending selection of all kinds of plants, and I know you can find fruit plants there as well, but I won't tell you this at warn Southern Guardens. Need I need everybody to listen to me for just a minute. I don't ask this very often, just for a minute. When you go to Warren Southern Gardens KMWA Garden Center, say I want to know about the skip special. If you spend one hundred dollars or more and falls the time to spend it, tree, shrubs, roses, all kinds of things, you'll get twenty five percent. That's that's twenty dollars. Exees me twenty nine twenty dollars off of your purchase. That's that's a one fifth off of that purchase. If you spend one hundred dollars or more at Warren's Southern Gardens and just tell them skip sent you, Skip sent you Okay. They got a great selection of fall plants. They've got all your veggies, cabbage, brussels, spouts, collared broccolis, all that kind of thing. They're pumpkin patches open. Oh my gosh, I see just numerous varieties for all your decorating needs there. They're tree sale thirty percent off some of their trees. I love that they've got the Traveler red bud, which is a weeping type of red Bud. You can get your live oaks, your Autumn Blaze maple, just go to Warn Southern Gardens. But that, by the way, that that skip twenty dollars off one hundred or more. Now that doesn't apply on top of sales, but it's off your purchase in general. Okay, do you need Church Star carbo Load, you need Microlife, do you need the brown Patch for Microlive? Do you need Sweet Green, Nicrofoss, Fall specials, Azemi. They're all in stock and they have lowered prices on all of those as well. At Warn Southern Gardens. At Warren's Inking, we both Kimra not can be better now, all right? I hear music means I got a hu share pretty quick, Rhea and the height you we are first up when we come back. Don't forget all of you, especially those of your way down southwest Wharton Feed and Ace. I'll be there today from one to three one to three at Wharton, Texas Eat and Ace Hardware. We're going to be giving away some stuff donated by Nitrofoss two bags of Fall Special, two bags of Barricade EDNA product samples, plants from Green Bay Plants, and a gift certificate from the Mutt Blue Company. Plus we get to meet talk. I'll look at your samples. I'll hope you diagnose and identify your problems, well at least with plants. Be right back.
Speaker 1: Garden Line with scamp Ricter.
Speaker 11: Just watch him assupatasy.
Speaker 15: Hey.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to guard Line.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: We've got another hour to do today. I hope you're in joining the show so far, I certainly am lots of things to talk about. I go several things I want to visit with you about as we're doing that. First thing I'm gonna do, though, is go out to the heights and talk to Rhea, who has been patiently waiting. Welcome to garden Line, Ria.
Speaker 20: Thank you, good morning.
Speaker 24: I have a about a twenty foot nashess crape myrtle that the hurricane had kind of knocked over like it was leaning, so the roots never kind of came out, So we tied it and straightened it up and propped it. How much longer should I leave it kind of tied tight, because I wanted to kind of wait till after the summer and any storms to kind of loosen it. But it's got to grow, so I don't know how much longer, I should leave it kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, supporting on a tree that size. Yeah, it's gonna be very hard to make it stay where you want it to stay now once, you know, if it was a less three year old plant, you could straighten it up, stake it for a while and hopefully get a good root system, and then it would be resilient. With one that high, you need to leave it a long time. And even at that it's it's you know, when it had its good, full strong root system, a storm knocked it over. So now it's had a lot of damage and it takes a long time for roots to grow and get big and strong and anchor the plant. Well, So if you can leave at steak for a few years, I definitely need to do that. But just know that it's going to be more likely to blow over in future storms than other plants might be.
Speaker 24: Oh them, okay, but I'll leave at state then.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, all right, real, thanks for the call. Sorry to be the bear bad news. Oh no, that sure, okay, you hear me talk about fertilizing the lawn. How about as mighte? What's as might it? Actually? Technically I guess you could call it a fertilizer because it's nutrients, but instead of the big three on the bag nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium on a fertilizer bag, azmite is trace minerals. It's all the things that are needed in tiny qualities but essential that would be things you know. Trace minerals are things like iron and zinc and manganese and molibduum and who knows a bunch of others. Azmite is what we put down about once a year just to build up the bank account of those nutrients. Putting it now is not going to make your lawn takeoff growing. It's going to build the bank account. So when the weather allows your lawn to take off growing and when the moisture and all that, the bank account is there for the trace minerals as well. Azemite Texas dot Com is the website if you want to learn a bit more about it. Just remember you can put it on any month of the year. About once a year's enough, and don't put it in the same hopper as your fertilizer. Put out the fertilizer and put out the azmite separately from it, and it works really well that way. We're going to now go to Chris and the Woodlands. Hy Chris, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 1: Hey, hi, Skip, thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 3: You got.
Speaker 1: So, I've got a got three store bought or male order bot sweet Viburnhams out in front. They're did it really really well for a while. We've got our sprinklers working again, so they've been getting regularly watered. I don't know if it's too much, but but the uh, the leaves, the older leaves are extremely dark, and there's these white these white pests that just won't go away.
Speaker 6: They've tried every.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are they flying around or are they on the plant just standing on sitting on the plant.
Speaker 1: Both they uh, you know, they still fly around it. And then you know when you when you when you move the bush, you know, or trying treated or something. They just like scatter from underneath from on top. They're mostly underneath the leaves.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's probably white flies. There may be some meadia bugs involved, but probably white flies. And you need to put a systemic insecticide drenched into the soil around the plant. It takes up that product and anything sucking juices out of your plant, which is what white flies and meatia, bugs and aphids and scale all due. It will kill them because they're picking up the poison through the interior juices of the plant. So you can find Do you have a pin or pencil handy?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So sure do?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's two ingredients that are sold in many different brand names. But I'm going to give you the first few letters of each of the two and just get one or the other one. It begins with I am id oh in mid doh I am id oh good. The other one begins with d I n o like dinosaur, d I no te f dino tef. So go find something that starts with a middo or dino tef and that's what you need to do. Follow the label. Drench it on. It's gonna take time to get up in there, but it will kill the things that are sucking juices out of your plant.
Speaker 1: All right, sir, okay, excellent, Thank yous, GiB all right, good?
Speaker 3: You bet good luck with that. I hope that goes well for you. H Medina has several products that are good. You know, fall it is transplanting season and they have several products that are good for transplanting. One of them in fact, I'm gonna I'm gonna recommend you do two. I would recommend a combination of Medina has to grow six twelve six. That's a plant food. It's got six percent nitrogen, twelve percent phosphors, six percent potassium. Phosphor's very important in root development. It also has Medina soil activator in it, and other, let me say other good things. It's excellent for transplanting. The other product is humate h U m at humic acid by Medina. Now, humis improves the soil. It improves the soil moisture retention by improving the structure of soil. Humus is the final decomposition product of compost. When compost goes past compost, it becomes it heads toward humus. It got micro nutrients, macronutrients, and it helps the physical properties of the soil and has other benefits as well. So here's the bottom line. You're going to put any transplant out in the garden, out in the landscape beds, in the ground, tree, shrub rose, herbs, perennial flowers, you name. It has to grow six to twelve six and humate humic acid from Medina widely available and very very effective at doing what they do. We're going to give them if you love Medina samples today down there at Wharton Feed and Ace where I'll be from one to three. So come I pick up some samples. Let's go now to Neph and Claire Lake. Hello Neph, Welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 18: Hey, good morning, Skip.
Speaker 1: How are you doing?
Speaker 6: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 14: Hey, Skip?
Speaker 6: A quick question, yes, sir, so in regards to.
Speaker 1: I'm about to make a trip down to Ace Hardware.
Speaker 6: It's the pre mergent, herbicide, the barricade, my fall fertilizer, and my fung your side. Can you let me and the listeners know which what do you recommend lane first? In which order out of the all three?
Speaker 3: All right, good, I'm gonna have to go to break Nephew. Okay. We were visiting with Neph in clear Lake and he was talking about the three products and the nitrofoss three stuff or fall that would be the fertilizer, the weed control, and the disease contro and he asked which order to do those. The big answer to that is it doesn't matter any order you want. You can do them all on the same day. Now you wouldn't want to put the granule barricade in the same hopper at the same time as the fertilizer for fall, okay, because the particle size is different. But if you went with your hopper a fertilizer and then your hopper a barricade or in the opposite order, either way is fine. It can all be done. As far as timeliness, the most important two are the barricade for weed prevention and the eagle for disease prevention, because those if you wait too late, you're too late. If the weeds are already up, it's getting too late. If the disease is already in the lawn, it's getting too late. And we never know. Maybe here comes a cold front, some rain, and boom, both weeds and brown patch appear pretty quick because the temperatures dropped. So I would say that the fur liiser is the most flexible one that you could wait on if you couldn't get them all done in one day. But the other two are just waiting on a good cold front and some rain to show up. So that's how I would do that. Does that help, Yes, it does skip okay, Yeah, So you can do them all on the same day if you want just just you know, don't put them all in the same hopper.
Speaker 16: Yeah, okay, okay, have you do you know if Nitrophos does liquid applications.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, the ones that we're talking about in the Texas three step those are all granules and right right, And I've been yeah to do like, yeah, they don't have a barricade liquid for example, that would okay, I was just wondering that knowledge. Okay, yeah, all right, man, Well you're on.
Speaker 6: The well, I appreciate it, all right, let me get you.
Speaker 7: Let me.
Speaker 3: I appreciate your call.
Speaker 14: Yep, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: All right, you take care Yep. That's right. And remember you can get all of those products from night to us at ACE Hardware, that is Ace Hardware. They've got all the things you need. When I talk about these fertilizers, I've talked with the folks at ACE. They carry them, they're going to carry them. They're out there at the Ace Hardware stores. Each Ace Hardware stores independently owned, so you'll find a lot of different additional things at Ace Hardware. It's a cool place to go. I mean, you may think, okay, you're saying I'm going to go to a hardware store and have fun. Well any any do it yourself or nose hardware stores are fun, But yes, I don't care who you are. They have Ace Hardware stores that carry jewelry. The aceard restores have fudge bars. Ace hard restores that have a beautiful home decorations and oh gosh, we're about to start talking about holiday lighting and other things. Ace has got it all for your lawn and now's the time for your landscape. Ace Hardware has got your fertilizers, your pest control, your disease control products, it's got the fire ant control and yes, now is prime time for fire ant control. Fall is the best time to tackle fire ants. They did a program out of A and M Extension Horticulture or excuse me, extension entomology a while back that it was a program on tackle fireants and fall as in football season. Right, football season is firent control season. With bits from your local Ace Hardware store. Go to Ace Hardware dot com and you can find the store locator and the forty stores in the Greater Houston area so you can find one that is close to you. Let's go to Tomball. Now we're gonna visit with Jack. Hey John, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Good morning, Skip. I got another silly question for you. Uh, I'm on a time cutch you. You can probably hear a bunch of construction in the background. I wanted to plant some eaglesons, but I want to know one shit on. I know now is the perfect time, but I can't do it because you're taken down part of my fence. So what do you think the best go ahead?
Speaker 3: It's fine, Yeah, it's fine. Now, it's fine, but you know, as you get into later in October and November, even those are also great times because it's cooled off a little bit more. There's less stress from transplanting. So if you want to buy them now, just set them off in kind of a maybe morning sun area and just keep them watered until you can get them in the ground, or you can wait and pick them up later. Sometimes the sales are better earlier, and sometimes the selection is better earlier, so you may go ahead and grab them. But either way, yeah, October, it even gets better as we moved toward October and November for planting shrubs and trees.
Speaker 15: Okay, then first of the year after the frost correct like faboys again or yeah, yeah, you can.
Speaker 3: Do it anytime starting from November. Here's a trade off, John in in the early part of the fall through winter planting season, you give the plants the most time to grow roots, establishing roots until summer arrives. The later, when you get in the colder part, it's less stress on the plants to plant those transplants. And so that's why I kind of aim for late October November if we were to pick ideal. But listen, you can plant an Egleston holly any month of the year. It's just when it's hot, blazing hot in summer. You got to water it with just a little amount of water every day to keep the thing alive. But you can do it. Okay, Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks for the question. Appreciate that very very much. Let's see here, who's next. I believe we got Malcolm in northwest Houston. Hey, Malcolm, how can we help?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 3: Good morning?
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 12: I was curious, is there any rhyme or reason to the numbers that they put the setting numbers on a spreader, you know, four point five or seven? You know, sometimes sometimes you're spreaders on the back of the bag and sometimes it's not so I mean is does four point five have a meaning like four point five pounds?
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't. It does have that meaning. And here's here is a sheet. Actually Randy Lemon, I'll give him credit because he did this, developed it a while back, and I think it's very very helpful. And are you putting out fertilizer or a pre emergent harveside? Which one?
Speaker 6: Nothing?
Speaker 23: Right now?
Speaker 12: I'm just curious in general, I've.
Speaker 13: Been wondering that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So what we do is we say, you know, read the If you've got a such and such brands breadder and on the bag it says such and such brand, then it's easy. Already you know what to do, right, you don't know for fertilizer. For fertilizers, and all of you listening to me out there, people miss here stuff. So please listen carefully to this. It matters a lot for fertilizers if you go a knock two above half. So let's say there were twenty notches on your spreader, just as an example, you would do eleven or twelve as your best guess for fertilizers. For pre emergent herbicides, it's different. We do a notch or above one quarter. So going back to our twenty notches five or six would be what you said it on for pre emergent herbicides, fertilizers a notch or two above half pre emerged herbicides a notch above one quarter, and that'll get you as close as you're going to get. And if ever you're in doubt anybody, and I do this myself, I'll set mind too low, not put enough out, because I know if I finish the yard and have some extra, I can come back across the other way and get an even more even spreading of product. If you go north south and then east west, that's the most carefully blended even application you can get. So it's better to go under than to go over, because if you get three fourths of the way through the yard and you run out of fertilizer, yeah, that's a problem. You know, we got to go get more.
Speaker 6: Awesome all rank you very much, Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: You bet appreciate appreciate your call very much. Uh, let's see we're going to go now to Carolyn and bel Air. Hey Carolyn, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Thank you, good morning. I had foundation work done back in December, and when they did the foundation work, they had pulled up some of my azaleas, and I had about a mature azaleas. Now I only have two that are really healthy, one that's hanging on and one that I have doubts about. But I'm wondering to replace those. It's a front bed. What would you suggest I do? Should I get more azaleas or should I get something else that would grow faster?
Speaker 3: Well, the shrub you want is the shrub you want. So if you like azalies, if you like having them all across there, I would do azalias. If you start doing other shrubs, then you kind of have to look at how you lay them out and how big they're going to get, and make you know, make sure that everything is put where it belongs so there's room for it to grow and spread. There's a lot of great shrubs, but you know, you make the decision. And if you want azaleas, you definitely want to get a good quality mix for acid loving plants, a blend, a soil blend that's high quality to go in those beds. Make those azalie roots as happy as you can, and then plant if you fertilize, when you fertilize. You want to use an acid loving fertilizer, and there are many on the market. Microlife, for example, has one in a pink bag that's for acid loving plants. There are others on the market UH and fertilized with that. And if you keep them adequately watered where they're always moist, not soggy moist, and you are fertilizing regularly according to the cut the UH instructions on the bag, you can get pretty good growth of those. As now, anything you plant's going to sit there and pout for a while, you know, after travel. I think they kind of just sit there, but then they take off and so so yeah, I think you either way is a good idea.
Speaker 20: Is it too late to trim back the ones I have now because they they've really gotten big?
Speaker 3: For the for the fact that the plants are too big and the plants will survive that pruning. Yes, you can prune now, but you're cutting away the bloom buds, the spring bloom buds that you enjoy. Those are formed in late summer and fall, So prune now. Every pruning is taking away bloom buds. So okay, that's the trade off. I unless you have to get it pruned. I would wait until after the bloom is over and then do your pruning.
Speaker 20: Okay, so that's another six months. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: All right, Carolyn, thank you. I appreciate that. Hey, folks, if you would like to give us a call, I'm going to a break, but you can get on the board seven one three two one two kt R h ibby right. Ciena Maltz. Ciena Maltz are down south of Houston, near the north of Road Sharon, near where Highway six and two eighty eight come together. The actual road is FM five twenty one. You can go to their website Sienna Maltz dot com and I hope you do.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: They serve that whole region Lake Olympia, Pomona, Fresno, Manville, Riverstone, Quell Valley, Iowa. Calling him Meridian first, cont need to keep going near the Braespin State Park. They are the place to go for the brown stuff. Remember brown stuff, the foundation for your garden. Brown stuff that makes everything grow. Brown stuff. You got the best plants in the world, But what are you going to put them in? Good stuff? You're gonna put them in compost materials. You're gonna put them in bed mixes. You're gonna make sure they have nutrients from quality fertilizers. All of the brown stuff is at Cienamultch. That includes native hardwood mulches, double ground mulches, that includes Landscaper's Pride, black velvet, the rose soils, organic compost. It includes things like the Vegian ir mix from heirloom soils, and on and on and on, sand rocks. Everything you need and part of the brown stuff the nutrients, microlife, fertilizers, nitrophots, Landscaper's Pride, Nelson plant Food, Medina, Azamite, the Nelson Turf Star line specifically too Bone Eye products, the heirloom soils, Pride, it's all there. When you go to Siena Moultch, you get quality stuff.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Landscapers know what they're doing. They get their stuff from the the animalts folks and they're friendly two folks, very friendly.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: For example, bmb I was telling you about their services for compo stop dressing and narrating. They get their stuff from Ciana Maltz. They know it's quality stop and it is Sienna Maltch dot com fall is for planting. First comes the brown stuff, then comes the green stuff. Stop in at Cianna Malts if you're within twenty miles of them, they'll deliver for a fee, or just take your trailer over there. You pick up and pick it up. But whatever you do, get that so all right, and let's the animals help you do that. I'm going to head now to Sugarland and talk to Ross. Hello, Ross, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Hey, hey, Skip, good morning. I've got funny saying. I got three Japanese you in the front yard, kind of basically little same light, same water and everything. Well, there's one the one plant on my right, individual stocks start off. I've had these things for three years, three or four years, and it's one place on the right I've replaced. This is the third time I've replaced it because as the stalks die off, it gets too thin to match the other one. So I bring in another full full plant.
Speaker 9: You have any.
Speaker 13: Idea of what it's called, it's just not the whole plant, just individual just slowly one dies two diyes.
Speaker 3: Three diyes. Yeah, and you said, Japanese you, that's what you meant, right, Japanese you, right, right, Okay, Uh, it's going to be that when on any plant you get individual shoots dying, it's either a little borer it's affecting those stalks, cutting off the moisture flow. But on a Japanese you that's the unlikely cause but possible, or a canker disease, and it's a little disease that infects the stem, kills the tissues that take water up and down, and then the whole thing turns brown. It's just like you're purened it off essentially. Uh and uh So I would follow the brown down to where it goes from brown to green and look around the stem there and see if you see splits in the bark or any holes and little tiny holes in the bark or anything like that, and that's going to point you to the solution. Normally we do not have to spray up in these views. They just are not prone to diseases impressed problems. But any plant, it could happen. The other thing, if it's happening following a hard, hard phraeze that they weren't ready for, that could be a cause. But I think probably some sort of a shoop canker is what you're looking at. And that's my best guess without being there and seeing it.
Speaker 13: Okay, so I mean, yeah it eventually the whole stock to the ground goes and I cut it off at the bottom. I mean, so you can't think anything like a it's a wet spot in.
Speaker 5: An area or.
Speaker 13: I mean, there's no way to treat what you're talking about the cankers.
Speaker 3: Not really. I mean could do fungicidal sprays on it, but generally that's not needed. When you prune it out. You need to go below the brown into the green, make your cut, and then spray your printers with life slid between each cut, so if it is a disease in there, you're not spreading it. Okay. That's the last tip that I can give you.
Speaker 5: Is great lilt oh on the pruning prun so that if you cut in and you got bacteria now on that prunter from the infection, you won't take that bacteria and make a new wound with it.
Speaker 3: Okay, russa for you on it, But good luck, you bet, good luck getting under control of that. We're going to go now to Kay in Houston. Hey, Kate, welcome to garden Line. How can we help hi?
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 22: I have two really healthy looking hibiscus and pots, and they're green and wonderful, and I've fed them and they loaded with blooms, and then before they loaded with buds, before they bloom, they just fall off. So I don't know if I've got bricks or aphid or rapids or what's wrong with them.
Speaker 3: That's unusual. Yeah, there are some little pests that can do that, of course, steps getting the flower and mess up flowers, but generally not that big of a problem. It could be, it could be a some moisture situation. Do you see any yellowing leaves on the plants of older leaves?
Speaker 22: No, very few, like maybe one or two, but there's huge bushes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just just spraying. Yeah, I hate to send you out spray and everything under the sun, so like we don't know what, so we're gonna throw everything but the kitchen sink at it. That's not my general approach. But your spray and insecticide on them. It's hard to get those insecticides in the flower, so I'm just not inclined to suggest you do that one. Okay, moisture best you can. There are funguses funde that can attack blooms. It happens to roses a lot, especially during wet weather, and infects the pedals and blooms. But let's see this if you can, I'm gonna put you on hold. If you can take some pictures of it early on, you know, just a number of different pictures of this symptom, and then okay, send them to me by email. Let me look. Maybe I'll see something else in the pictures and I'll be happy to help. So I'm gonna put you on hold. Chris is going to pick up and he will give you an email to send those. Make sure the pictures are in good sharp focus and is show me one of the whole bush, but then show me as close as you can get to the blooms. That's helpful too.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: All right, you got a little bit of a walk off the earth. The first one I heard was not walk up there, although they sang that song. But I love that band. All right, let's see here. I want to tell you about fall Fest Buchanan's Native Plants. It's on October fifth. October fifth, next weekend, from ten to three pm. Ten to three. Now, this is a deal you want to be part of. I'm gonna be there from twelve to two. We'll be giving away a one hundred dollars gift card and you have to register to win that. We're gonna be given away a Microlife brown Patch bag giveaway the event itself, a pumpkin painting Halloween mask craft for kids. I'd to say that carefully. It's hard to get those words. Coloring stations for kids. There's gonna be a hay ride. There's gonna be a lot more. They're gonna have pumpkin ring toss for kid, game bag toss, a scavenger hut, live music, the local band Yopine. What a great name for a local band, Yopine. They're gonna have kids crafts. They're gonna have a moon Bounce. They're gonna have food, coffee, beer, wine and what else do you want?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: One more thing? It's all free. Buchanans Native Plants on Eleventh Street in the Heights. Now you know, Buchanans is the place you go for all kinds of native plants. Buchanans Native plants, that's the name of the place, and boy did they ever have an excellent selection of that. It's not just native plants though. Do you need house plants. They've got one of the biggest house plant green houses I've seen in the region. It's awesome. Do you need vegetables, herbs, everything you can imagine, including soils and products and things to go with it? Is it Buchanan's Plants. Come see me next October next talk so sober October the fifth, next weekend at Buchanan's Native Plants, ten am three pm is the whole event. I'll be there from twelve to two. I hope you can show up. Maybe one that one hundred dollars gift card. Boy, I have fun with one of those. At Buchan is the garden center. Let's go now to Mario and clearly, Hey Mario, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Hey Skiff, thanks for taking my call. I have a couple of things I put Yo pound Holly's as a kind of a hedge around my beds. Always had boxes before and replaced them because they weren't doing well, and so I'm not familiar with what these things do. But the tips are turning yellow. Is that normal or is there's something going on?
Speaker 3: No, it's iron deficiency and that's not unusual on Holly's in general, especially if your pH is a little high. What I would recommend is begin for the rest of those Holly's life to fertilize them with an acid loving plant fertilizer. And there's different things in the market for that, like for fertilizer for acid loving plants. Microlife has their acid loving plant type and a kind of a pinkish bag that works really well. But it's just going forward. Everything you fertilize, you use that. In the meantime, gets you some keylated iron kelated. It's c H E L A T ED. Follow the label and apply it. It is a form of iron that doesn't tie up to the soil as fast and the plants can get it. So sprinkle it around the planet at the rate the label says, and watered in really good and you're going to be able to provide that quick boost to you know, to get that iron endo the plant. There's probably enough iron in the soil, it just can't get to the plant. Now, you're okay. And clear Lake, so if you'll go, if you'll go to the M and D clear Lake Ace Hardware on Bay Area Boulevard, they're going to have those kinds of products.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I use them, and I'll run over.
Speaker 3: There are students.
Speaker 6: We're done. Also, I'm in my front lawn. I'm seeing a lot of weeds, surprisingly because the lawn was really hearty and mush, and I bought a reed beater complete from Bowden. Is it a good idea to put that down?
Speaker 13: Now?
Speaker 3: It's a little hot, it's a little hot to apply weed beater to your lens. If it cools off a little bit, we get our daily highs mid eighties or below, that would be something you could use. Just remember that your broad leaf weeds, that's what that controls, not grasp, but broadly. Those broad leaf weeds are going to be mostly dying off already when cool weather hits, So it'd be next spring, early before it gets above eighty five when you would use that product again. But yes, just let it cool off a little bit, and if we get close maybe the mid to upper eighties, if you'll do it really early in the day when it's the coolest time of the day, that would also be okay for that bon eyed weed beater.
Speaker 6: Okay, And then we'd it be all right to do it my winter. Would it be all right then? Once I've put that down to use my winter fertilizer.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you could do it before or after that. It's unrelated.
Speaker 6: Okay, good. And then what about plants? What do I do with the plants for the fall?
Speaker 3: I've got a I'm not sure what you're asking me.
Speaker 14: Oh, well, I.
Speaker 6: Want to fertilize. I understand that it's time to fertilize trees and other plants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for new things that you put in the ground, you can do that. We just want to be careful for fall for the other plants to not stimulate late season growth that's tender and it is more likely to get by a hard freeze that might show up a little early. So, especially things that are semi hardy, you want to be kind of careful. So I don't do a lot of fall fertilizing in general to those plants, but we do for the lawns.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, all right, Well, as usual, you're terristic.
Speaker 3: It's a great deal.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being listener, Mario. I appreciate that a lot. Let's see, we're going to go now to Oliver in North Houston. Hey, Oliver, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 16: When morning skip this our first stem collar a problem with some solid plants that I have, they're just about producing fruits. Well, I've noticed some of them are starting to die. The plants are dying. Could you see why they're dying?
Speaker 3: What kind of plant?
Speaker 16: Soril or high biscus at any call of Jamaican high biscus or roselle, they have different names with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know why they're dying. It could be due to a lack of moisture. It could be due to damage to the roots. It could be from keeping them too wet and the roots get root rot. So you know, a lot of things can kill a plant, and just the symptom that it's dying, I can't really tell you exactly which of the things that is.
Speaker 16: Well, I have not been wanting it a lot neither, you know. Just there. I have about seven plants and one saty to die, then another one so do not die on at the same time. And they just about producing some fruit, you know, the fruits red buds. So I'm concerned that I may lose all of my plans this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not typically very cold hearty of a plant. So give it some water, give it a good soaking, appliant oat the soil about six, six or eight inches deep. That takes a lot of water, and see if that perks it up and at least it'll get you through this season before it gets cold and everything shuts down.
Speaker 16: Okay, okay, skip cansel off taking my call?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, thanks for calling. Appreciate you having you as a guardenline listener for sure. I want to remind you guys that I'm going to head to day to Wharton feed and Ace hardware done in Wharton, Texas. So if you are anywhere off that direction, come on up and let's talk. Bring me samples, bring me pictures. We'll identify, we'll diagnose, or we'll just sit and have fun and visit. I'm a giving away two bad eggs from nitrofoss of their Fall Special, two bags of their barricade time for all that be, giving away some medina samples, some plants from green Leaf Plants down there, and a gift certificate from the buck Boot Company now Wharton, Texas. I don't know if you know this, but this is God's country when it comes to agriculture. Cory Boy and the bag agent down in Wharton County was making sure that I knew and you know when we're I was a county agent, and number of counties here in Texas moved around in my career, and I'm always very proud of my county, and i know he is too. For good reason. Did you know Wharton County is the number one producer of horticulture crops in Texas. That's nursery and turf. And they got a lot of big turf farms down there in Wharton County, But horticulture crops are big. It used to be that it was just cotton and cattle, you know, that was that rule of the world. Horticulture crops have caken over. Wharton County is also the one or number one or number two agriculture production county in the state of Texas.
Speaker 5: That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: There is a God's country for agriculture and horticulture. By the way, I hope you guys that are gardeners down there, grab five friends and come on over. Let's let's have a good time at Wharton's Wharton Ace and feed down in that area. I also want to remind you October fifth, next weekend, the Brazoria County Extension Office is this having their first annual Figtoberfest, meaning you want to learn about figs. There's gonna be doctor Hartman from A and M's a friend of mine. It's gonna be doing a program on fig research and data. Steven Yannick from Techsager Life Extension Horticulture Department. Another friend's going to be talking about fig trials and pests and diseases destin note the Texas Garden Guy will be there. Philed Angelus from Phil's Figgs nine seventy nine, eight six, four, fifteen fifty eight for more information
Speaker 9: With over the