Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty Wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app I'm to.
Speaker 2: Get Up, Get your work week started. Have you had a great weekend? I did.
Speaker 1: I had a D and D weekend. No, not Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 2: I was like, what Disney and Dodgers very nice, only nice.
Speaker 1: The only bad things were on the Dodgers lost, but it was still it was such a great game. And then Disneyland was spectacular. It was so much fun. I had a friend in town and it was just it was awesome. We went on the Tiana's whatever it's called. Oh yeah, but you used to be see the old Splash Mountain.
Speaker 2: We went on that ride.
Speaker 1: People were coming off of that ride soaked, like drenched head to toe, and we're like.
Speaker 2: Well, we gotta go, we gotta do it. We didn't get.
Speaker 1: Wet, wow, lucky or not the people in front of us.
Speaker 2: Head to toe. It was so fun. It was a great group of people though. It was fun.
Speaker 1: We just like met up with these people and we started talking to them and they're like, hey, you want to go on our boat with us. We're like okay, And we had them sit in front. So anyway, it was a great weekend. Hope you had a great weekend too. Let's get started. We got a lot going on. Here's what's ahead. On wake up Call, La Metro begins screening passengers for concealed weapons at the Green Lines Norwalk station. Officials will be assessing the technology for the next year across key stations to see if it can be an effective tool. It's the latest move by the agency to address rising violence on Metro buses and trains. Such sections of PCH that had been closed on Saturday reopened. The roadway was shut down because of mudslides, leaving residents and pass holders no way to get into the fire zone area between Topanga Canyon Boulevard and Carbon Beach Terrace. A new national poll shows a lot of Americans not happy with President Trump's first one hundred days in office. The Pole Show's fifty five percent of Americans disapprove of how Trump has handled the presidency. We're gonna dig into those numbers more with ABC's Stephen Portnoy.
Speaker 2: That's coming up at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: Another weekend, another car rams into a festival. This one leaves at least eleven people dead in Canada. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to join us at five point twenty. We're gonna see if there's anything that can be done to stop these kinds of attacks. And if you're looking for hope and inspiration and true love, I might have.
Speaker 2: The perfect movie for you.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk with the producer and director of Abby's List, a documentary, yes, not documentary, a dogumentary. It's in theaters this weekend. We're gonna find out all about it. That's coming up at about five point fifty. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Thousands of La County workers are planning to walk off the job tonight, and.
Speaker 3: The strike could potentially disrupt key services. SEIU Local seven twenty one, representing fifty five thousand frontline employees, says the walkout is over on labor practices, wage stagnation, and excessive outsourcing. County officials warn't possible delays in healthcare, social services, and public works through Wednesday evening. Union leaders accused the county of spending billions on contractors while ignoring worker pay and staffing shortages. Heatherbrooker KFI news.
Speaker 1: La County Supervisor Catherine Barger is set to visit a property in Alta, Dina where crews are about to start rebuilding a home destroyed by the Eton fire. The woman who owns the home, Margot Stuber, had debris cleared Firmer property by the US Army Corps of Engineers. Governor Newsom says wildfire resources in California are safe, even though the states facing major financial issues. He says California has nearly doubled its investments in CalFire over the past few years in state of.
Speaker 4: The art technologies it relates to access the tools that the Pentagon provides the tools that private contractors like Lockeed provide.
Speaker 1: Still, Newsom says there is a tough road ahead with lower revenue, higher unemployment, and rising costs. Santa Monica could soon be letting people sip a drink while strolling down the Third Street promenade.
Speaker 5: Pantamonica City leaders have approved plans for an entertainment zone where public drinking would be allowed every day from eight am to two am between Wilshore and Arizona. Drinkers would need to wear wristbands, be twenty one or older, and use plastic cups. Some residents and leaders raise security concerns, but supporters say it's a smart way to bring visitors back. A final vote is expected in May, with a possible rollout in June. Brigida, Degastino, Okay.
Speaker 1: If I news California's my Shake app has been downloaded more than four million times. Governor Newsom says the app gives people life saving seconds before an earthquake hits. His office says since its inception, the app has sent out more than five million alerts for nearly one hundred and seventy quakes. The state's encouraging people to use the free app and to follow the cal Oes Earthquake Readiness Guide and up for that last one. Yeah, that hit down in San Diego County. We got the pre worn for the shaking eighty seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was good. It was good. It's five seven on your Monday morning wake up call.
Speaker 1: Time to say good morning to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. Morning, John, Are peace talks continuing with Russia and the US and Ukraine?
Speaker 2: Because President Trump's getting a little fed up.
Speaker 6: He is, He's getting frustrated, and with good reason, and the reason being is because two months ago the US put a peace proposal on the table. It was a thirty day ceasefire peace proposal. It was accepted immediately by Ukraine. It has not been accepted by Russia. Now Russia said that today, just within the past few hours, that it will have a three day unilateralist ceasefire as it relates to the war in Ukraine. But that's not what the President's proposal calls for. And I think that's the reason why the President has threatened more sanctions on Russia and has said maybe that Putin is stringing him along in terms of what it is that he's saying publicly and what we see that he's doing attacking civilian areas in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so you mentioned that two months ago we had put up this or the administration had put up that thirty day seas fire. Has any progress and that been made, I know you just mentioned that. I think May sixth, seventh and eighth is when they said that they're going to do a ceasefire. But did they say is that a precursor to accepting a longer cease fire? Is that because conclave starts on May seventh, I mean, did they say.
Speaker 6: Why, No, they didn't haven't said why. I think they recognized the frustration that the President has indicated over the course of the past few weeks. Also, the President has threatened to impose what's called secondary sanctions on Russia, maybe going and targeting its oil sector. That oil really funds everything as it relates to the war. So that would be a very skiff sanction that the US and its allies could impose upon Russia.
Speaker 1: And kind of interesting because it so far, I mean, from just you know, looking at bird's eye view, it seems like Trump has actually been siding more with Russia, you know, like saying, you know, Russia is going to get a lot of what it wanted, Ukraine is not going to get a lot of what it wanted, So that that putin seems to be sort of hedging his bets or not making any moves, seems a little surprising.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you raised a really good point, Amy, and you know, I think that's one of the reasons that you haven't seen any movement by Russia. Russia sees that, you know, as it relates to public statements made by President Trump, it seems as if he's agreeing to some of the things that Russia has been putting out there, and from the Russian perspective, they probably feel, what's the purpose in offering up any concessions if we don't have to if the president buys into the point of view that we're publicly presenting out there. So you look, you know, I think the President is facing a lot of pressure. He's facing pressure from European alliing that with the Prime Minister of Norway. Just last he met with European leaders while he was in Italy for the funeral of Pope Francis, and they were putting a full court press on the president as well.
Speaker 7: So we'll see.
Speaker 6: I think this is an important week, and the President last week said I'll give Russia a week's time to come to some sort of movement getting to peace, and we'll see if this is that critical week that the President has been pushing for.
Speaker 1: John does Trump actually have any power in this? Does he have any leverage?
Speaker 6: That's a good question, you know, I think he has less leverage on this situation than he does concerning you know, the war in the Middle East. That being said, you know, the President also has spoken about the strong relationship that he has with Russian President Vladimir Putin, So perhaps you know he can use that strong relationship to convince Putin to at the very least agree to this thirty day ceasefire proposal that Ukraine's already agreed to, and then work towards a permanent peace once that thirty day ceasefire is put in place.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that he met with some leaders when he was overseas for the Pope's funeral. Did he meet with Selensky on Saturday?
Speaker 6: He did an iconic photograph.
Speaker 8: You could google it.
Speaker 6: You can see a one on one meeting in the Vatican with President Zelensky and also meeting with leaders like here Starmer, the uk Prime Minister, French President Emmanuel Macron, and they huddled together, and that they've been putting a lot of pressure the president. Also last Thursday here at the White House meeting with the Secretary General of the United Nation of NATO Mark Ruda. All of those individuals putting a lot of pressure on the President to put the pressure on Russia. So you can get to the point where you're moving towards peace.
Speaker 2: Okay, and we'll see what happens next.
Speaker 1: Kfi's White House correspondent John Decker, Thanks so much for the insight and information.
Speaker 2: As always, Thanks Amy Bright, talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news. Murder chargers have been filed in Vancouver, Canada against a man who allegedly drove into a crowd at a Filipino heritage festival.
Speaker 7: There are now eleven confirmed fatalities.
Speaker 1: Interim police Chief Steve Ray says dozens more people were hurt on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: This woman says the crash was shocking.
Speaker 3: We had initially assumed that it was like a food truck that had fallen over. That's how loud it was, and then we heard screams.
Speaker 1: Following investigators say they have ruled out terrorism. They say the man driving has a history of mental health issues. The retrial of Karen Reid continues this week in Boston. Legal analyst Brian Buckmeyer says the former economics professors accused of killing her boyfriend in twenty twenty two by backing her SUV into him and leaving him to die in a snowstorm.
Speaker 7: We're all expecting for a former officer now, Michael Proctor.
Speaker 3: He was the lead investigator in the case to testify, as well as an officer he worked with.
Speaker 1: He says the defense is arguing the trial is a conspiracy and all of the officers are involved. The US and Iran are set to hold an round of nuclear talks following a weekend meeting in Jordan. The White House says those talks were positive and productive. President Trump's Special Envoy Steve Whitcoff and Iran's foreign minister led the two delegations, with the discussions lasting about four hours. The next meeting is schedule to take place May third.
Speaker 2: More than one hundred.
Speaker 1: People have been arrested at an illegal nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The DEA says illegal immigrants and active duty service members were detained. Many of the illegal immigrants were turned over to ICE. The Army Criminal Investigation Divisions looking into the involvement of about a dozen US service members who again were taken into custody. A legal analyst says the Supreme Court decision giving presidents immunity could be argued for A judge in Milwaukee arrested by the FBI. Judge Hannah Dugan is accused of allowing an illegal immigrant from Mexico to leave through a back door of her court, so ICE agents couldn't arrest him. Editor of Scotis Blog and former Justice Department spokesperson Sarah Iger says the judge could put that new judicial ruling to the test.
Speaker 9: No court has found that judges are immune from criminal prosecution, but that Trump immunity decision could be very relevant here.
Speaker 1: Judge Dugan could face up to six years in prison for her actions. A new poll shows President Trump has the lowest one hundred day job approval rating of any president in the past eighty years. The ABC News Washington Post IPSOS poll shows just thirty nine percent of Americans say the approve of what he's done so far. Gary Langer with Langer Research Association Associates, who produced the polls as fifty five percent of people disapprove.
Speaker 8: It beats the record low at one hundred days set by Donald Trump in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 9: He gets criticism on many issues, but perhaps his prime challenge is economic discontent.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow is Trump's one hundredth day in office. The Vatican has announced the conclave to elect a successor to Pope Francis will begin Wednesday, March not March May close. Friend of Pope Francis father James Martin says there are nine days of morning before the gathering, but there are some preliminary talks before the official conclave happens inside the Sistine Chapel.
Speaker 10: They are starting now already with what's called general congregations, where they're discussing in general what they want in the next pope without campaigning.
Speaker 1: More than thirteen thousand people filed into the Saint Mary Major Basilica yesterday to view Francis's tomb, with several more several thousand more waiting outside. When we come back, another cars plowed into a crowd. ABC's Jim Ryan's going to join us on why these attacks are increasing and what's being done to prevent them.
Speaker 2: That's coming out next.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three men have been arrested in connection with a deadly home invasion in Woodland Hills, Willy say. The three broke into the home early Saturday morning, held the forty seven year old homeowner captive, and beat him up. He died of a head injury. At the scene. All three are facing murder charges and are being held on two million dollars bail. A major power outages hit Spain and Portugal, including in those countries capitals. Parts of France apparently also affected. The outage has halted trains and flights and left traffic signals dark all over the country. First time nominees Chubby Checker, Joe Cocker and Bad Company will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a class that also includes pop star Cindy Lauper, the hip hop Pioneers, Outcast, the rock duo White Stripes, and grunge masters Sound Garden. Some nominees that didn't get in this year Mariah Carey, Fish and Billie Idol. At six oh five's handle on the news, Russia's response to a Trump Zelensky meeting at the Vatican, A barrage of drone strikes. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 7: Jim.
Speaker 1: Another horrific crash this weekend where a person driving a car plows into a crowd at a gathering or festival or celebration.
Speaker 2: What's the latest on this, Well.
Speaker 4: Yes, eleven people we know have died. One person is in constandy. The victims there ranged in age from five to sixty five years old of Filipino Street celebration in Vancouver. The suspects he's been identified as Kai g Adam Lowe. The police have not said anything about his ethnicity or his origin, where he came from, whether it was a Native Canadian. But the police don't think this was an act of terrorism. They believe that this man, this suspect, had a mental health issue or some sort of crisis unrelated to terrorism that convinced him that he needed to drive his suv down this street filled with people, killing eleven and injuring dozens.
Speaker 1: We're seeing these more and more often, it seems, Jim, I mean, especially if this guy has mental health issues. I mean, there are these copycat kind of crimes.
Speaker 4: Sure, we're not just in this country. Germany seems to have a lot of these incidents, and there it may be copycats here, perhaps the same situation. People see if they've got you know, this intent in mind, they see that it works in one place and they might try it somewhere else. We saw it in Charlottesville, Virginia. We saw it January first, in New Orleans. We saw somebody you know, do the same thing at the parade, a holiday parade in Kenosha, Wisconsin. So it does happen. I think it was Waukesh actually wakesh Howers constant where that happened. But you know, it does happen, and it seems to be happening more that vehicles are being used as weapons.
Speaker 1: And politically it's got to be you know how lawmakers love to just pounce on things. It's got to be a little bit challenging for them because they can't say, oh, it's guns that are bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't say all cars are bad.
Speaker 4: No, you're right, So what do we do about it? I mean maybe there is legislation, not sure, but within the and in some of these cases it was a rental car that was used. There was a rental car New Orleans that that man used to drive down Bourbon Street and kill fourteen. I think it was. It was a rented cyber truck that was part there in Las Vegas and blown up. So the rental car industry is looking at strengthening its procedures, making it more difficult to rent a car without a background check. But this is fascinating to me geo fencing, and they use this on golf court, golf carts in golf courses. Right, So the GPS tracker is on the vehicle, and there's an alarm that goes off if you drive this golf cart into a sensitive area or off the the golf cart path. Why not use that same kind of technology in a vehicle. Right, Almost every car has GPS, and certainly every year more of them do. So certain areas of a community could be blocked off, essentially a virtual barricade that keeps people from driving down Bourbon Street, for example, or driving down that street in Charlottesville. Kill switch, Yeah, kill switch. And even if it's your own car, your own vehicle, if it's GPS equipped and the law enforcement has blocked off an area, then and you start to turn onto that street, either an alarm goes off, a buzzer, or the car is simply shut down.
Speaker 1: But it will right, Well, I would think that the alarm or buzzer probably wouldn't if it's somebody's hell bent on plowing into a crowd.
Speaker 4: Right, I know that's true. And even with the golf carts, if somebody's drunk and they're headed for the eighteenth.
Speaker 2: Hole and not that that ever happens.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 4: No, people don't get wrong. But yeah, the buzzer, the alarm on the golf cart isn't going to keep that person from doing that. But if there is a kill switch, if the if the if the golf cart itself recognize it it's going into an area it shouldn't, it could shut itself off. If a car is headed onto Canal Street and over onto Bourbon Street, where there's a crowd of people, the car could shut itself off. You know. It's that's that maybe the future of preventing this kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we know it.
Speaker 1: In New Orleans, which you referenced, their barriers were supposed to have been put in place, but they weren't there yet ahead of Super Bowl and that kind of stuff. So are more cities going to start doing that? I think they have them on the promenade, like the Third Street promenade. There's ballards there so you can't drive down.
Speaker 4: There, right, right, Physical barriers like that, and community planners are looking at doing things like that. Redesigned urban areas that protect the pedestrians from vehicles, you know, curbs that are higher or more boulevards with separation down the middle of them to prevent cars from doing committing mayhem. We've seen that happen in New York City, people driving out of the crew onto the sidewalk and mowing people down. So urban redesign technology like GPS tracking or geo fencing, and then intelligence on the part of police is tracking groups on social media to see who might be planning something like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that we have to do this. But ABC's Jim Ryan, thanks so much for the info. Thanks, you have a good day. The Menendez brothers have filed court papers asking a judge to remove La County DA Nathan Hawkman from their resentencing hearing. Attorney Mark garrigo says Hawkman should be disqualified because of a conflict of interest. Garrigos claims Hawkman has admitted to the conflict and has even helped organize protests against the resentencing. A hearing on the motion is scheduled for next month. A new bill in California aims to create innovative insurance options to protect people from climate related risks. If passed, a new program would pay for projects that reduce the impact of climate change and improve insurance coverage for homeowners. It would support community based insurance models, nature driven solutions, and educational efforts on the importance of insurance. The LA Urban Policy Roundtable group wants city and county officials to take long term action to save trees from being randomly destroyed. It's in response to a homeless bench topping down eight trees across LA last week. Round Table President earl Ofari Hutchinson says they're suggesting an emergency Save LA Trees task force be set up.
Speaker 8: We don't want to see what happened down Chile continually by others.
Speaker 4: It may get the bonehead idea, the dumb idea, let's go cut down the tree.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 1: The destruction of trees is both criminal and environmentally damaging. An expert on rare earths says the US has most of the seventeen rare earth elements and fifty critical minerals underground, but it doesn't have the capacity to refine them into processed metals and magnets. Critical Minerals Institute co chair Melissa Sanderson tells The Epic Times the US has zero magnet manufacturers. She says it could take five years to develop a domestic supply chain to replace China's global monopoly in processing rare earths and materials needed to make everything from iPhones to F thirty five fighter jets. The deadline for the real IDs getting closer. New rules kick in May seventh for US residents to get on domestic flights or to go into certain federal facilities. Katie Nastro with the travel site Going says there are ways to tell if your ID meets the new standard.
Speaker 10: You just need to look in the top corner to see if you have a star star stamp where if you're in California, a bear with a star.
Speaker 2: She says.
Speaker 1: Those with an enhanced ID will see a flag emblem. Weight Watchers is reportedly getting ready to file for bankruptcy. Bloomberg reports the company's been dealing with increasing debt as its earnings have been dropping at the same time as weight lost drugs like ozempic have been gaining popularity. Speaking of Popular Dodgers, a popular bunch and tonight they'll be taken on the Marlins at Dodger Stadium. The first pitch goes out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all the Dodger games all season long on Am five to seventy LA Sports live from the Gallp and Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. When we come back, we're one hundred days into President Trump's second urn.
Speaker 2: Well we will be tomorrow.
Speaker 1: ABC's Stephen Portnoy joins us to see how the public says he's doing so far.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Police had extra patrols on duty for the sixteenth annual Thai New Songgren Festival in East Hollywood following Saturday night's deadly vehicle attack on a Filipino festival in Vancouver, Canada. Extra barriers were added to block vehicles from getting into the festival area on Hollywood Boulevard. A conservative groups rallied in West Hollywood in an effort to get voters to leave the Democratic Party. The group, called American Restoration Tour, was followed by a group of counter protesters yesterday. The group displayed a US flag, a smaller Israeli flag, and several signs, including one that said Trump won, Save America. Sinners has earned the number one spot at the box office and its second weekend in theaters with another forty five million in ticket sales. The twentieth anniversary reel lease of George Lucas's Star Wars episode three, Revenge of the Sith, finished in second, taking in twenty five million dollars. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Steven Portnoy. Stephen were almost one hundred days into Trump's presidency. According to polls, how are things going well?
Speaker 9: Not great?
Speaker 11: Look, the president has the lowest job approval of any president at this point in his term, going back to nineteen forty five, lowest job approval of any president on record in this first one hundred days thirty nine percent approval fifty five percent disapproval about in keeping. However, with his score eight years ago at his first one hundred days, he had forty two percent approval in our poll then and now it's at thirty nine percent, so slightly lower.
Speaker 10: Look.
Speaker 11: The reason is Americans are concerned about the state of the economy. That's the primary reason. Seventy two percent seventy two percent in our poll say that they believe the president's policies are likely to cause a recession. Sixty two percent say prices are going up for things that they want and need. Fifty three percent say the economy has already gotten worse since the president has taken office. Sixty seven percent say they are worried about the stock market turmoil. Sixty four percent say they disapprove of the president's proposals, his policies to tariff impose taxes on imports to this country. The President is shrugging all this off, although on social media this morning, he's essentially lashing out at these survey results, saying, among other things, that the press quote writes bad stories, cheats big on polls, it is compromised and corrupt.
Speaker 7: Sad.
Speaker 11: So the president obviously not aware of he is aware of these numbers and doesn't like them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and have the polls as have his numbers dropped or did they start out at thirty nine and they're just staying there.
Speaker 11: Well, Look, this is the first significant survey that ABC News has done that I've seen since the president has taken office, and it's meant to be sort of a benchmark for where he goes going forward under this first one hundred days. Looking now at a survey we took in February, so two months ago his approval rating was at forty five percent. It has dropped six points to thirty nine percent. So not a good trend. But remember and the White House is shrugging off these numbers in part because the President, although he's selling Trump twenty twenty eight hats, is not himself on the ballot again. And the challenge for him and his party is the midterm elections. But those are still a year and a half off.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I know you got to run winer.
Speaker 1: I know ABC scored an interview with him for the first one hundred days.
Speaker 2: When's that happening.
Speaker 7: Tomorrow night on ABC?
Speaker 11: Terry Moran, our senior national correspondence, It's down with the President. Should be a fascinating conversation.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, ABC. Stephen Portney, thanks so much. All right, time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho morning, Courtney, good morning. Okay, so let's talk about pina coladas.
Speaker 2: What a great way to start your Monday.
Speaker 10: And getting lost in the rain.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my gosh, what if you love pea? I haven't heard that song?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I put that earworm in your ear this morning because if you're looking forward to having one a peinut pilata tropical drink on the beach this summer, it's probably going to cost you a lot more. Some of the world's top coconut rowers have been slammed by poor weather shrinking supplies, and that's raising the price of the fruit. The Philippines, which is the world's biggest coconut producer, expects a twenty percent of cline and output this year because drought and cyclones have affected the trees.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a that's a that's a big hit. You know, the people on Survivor would really be in trouble if they didn't have coconuts.
Speaker 10: No doubt about it. And that's what we're seeing, not only with the Philippines, but also Indonesia too. So they say, you know what, we're going to hold on to some of our output and not send it around the globe. But because global demand two has been climbing and climbing. The US, by the way, it is the largest market, and a lot of people have been jumping on the bandwagon because you know, it is a plant based milk option. And also you can't forget about the big wellness push that we've been seeing and that's definitely been helping.
Speaker 2: Coconuts, coconut oil, good for your skin. Yeah, okay, let's go to.
Speaker 1: Amazon and their business may have just hit a big hiccup. What's going on with that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so a number of Amazon sellers are pulling out of the next Prime Day event. Reuters has reported that some third party merchants are sitting it out this year. They said, no way, we're not going to do it. Our margins aren't good, or they're offering fewer discounted items due to tariffs. But you can't forget Prime Day is one of Amazon's biggest shopping days of the year. Participation for sellers is optional, to point that out, but Amazon spends millions of dollars promoting the event. So Amazon, they haven't announced the dates yet for Prime Day, but it's going to spread across four days in July. But sellers still have a little bit of time to sign up.
Speaker 9: That's uh.
Speaker 10: The deadline seems to be the end of May.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then here's a question for you. They they either have to make the decision to participate or not participate by May. What happens if, as Trump is predicting, we're going to take care of these tariffs and they're going to be going away.
Speaker 2: If we're playing us, you know, we're playing the what if game.
Speaker 1: But if they could they change their mind or they just out of luck, like if they go, hey, we're not going to have the supply train is supply train train issues because you know everything's going to start flowing again the tariffs are lifted.
Speaker 2: Can we participate, Well, they have a.
Speaker 10: Certain date that they have to say we're either in or out, So there there is a limit to all of this, and definitely that's within the ninety days. So we are not really sure what's going to happen. But a lot of these companies, they basically have to do a leap of faith on what they think is going to be ahead. But you have to think about how shoppers spent fourteen billion dollars during the last prime day last year, so it's a lot of money to kind of be leaving on the table. But again, when you look at the margins, that's going to be very difficult for them. But it's also going to be a tough time for Amazon because a pullback could mean fure fees and less ad revenue for Amazon. As well as less items for them to sell, so this could be a big problem for them coming up for Prime Day.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll be watching, I'm sure, and big week. That's something else we're going to watch is the markets. What's going on this week?
Speaker 10: Yes, so it's quiet this morning. I'd say it's the quiet before this storm. But the wild market moves that we've been seeing because of the tariff announcements, that's ease somewhat. But these corporate reports that we're going to be getting this week. We're hearing from Apple, Amazon, McDonald's, Coca Cola, some major companies this week, and that's going to give us a better look at the help of the consumer. We also have star books too, so these are game changers in trading. Plus, this Friday is a key report for Wall Street at Theapral Jobs stated that's going to give us a pulse check on the labor market. So right now Dow futures and SMP futures are a little changed in trading.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll be watching them, and we have you to help us sort them out. Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho getting in our business every day. We'll talk to you tomorrow morning.
Speaker 10: Definitely. I'll see you later, all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks, So let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Some students at Occidental College are on a hunger strike.
Speaker 3: The ten students are demanding the school divest from weapons manufacturers tied to Israel and bolster protections for international students. The strike, now in its second week, follows a similar protest at Chapman University. Occidentals presidents as many students' concerns are already being addressed, but rejected calls for divestment. The students say the college isn't doing enough and vow to continue signing the humanitarian crisis in Gonza Heatherbrooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles swoop into the White House today. Running back Sequon Barkley met with President Trump yesterday took a ride on Marine one. The Eagles didn't visit the White House after their twenty eighteen victory during President Trump's first term. Trump claimed he withdrew the information, calling the team disrespectful because they stayed in the locker room during the national anthem as protest. When we come back last week, we talked about bucket list. Well, today, it's Abbey's List, a documentary about the journeys of a man and his best friend.
Speaker 2: That's coming up next.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM.
Speaker 1: Six forty libraries in La County could be closed this week as union workers planned to strike. Employees are expected to walk off the jobs seven o'clock tonight.
Speaker 2: They'll be on strike until Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Officials in Santa Monica considering a measure that would allow people to drink in public along the Third Street Promenade.
Speaker 2: If approved by city council, it would create a.
Speaker 1: Permanent entertainment zone from eight am to two am every day. More than four million Californians have downloaded the my Shake app I've Got It.
Speaker 2: Since its inception.
Speaker 1: The app has delivered more than five million alerts to nearly one hundred and seventy earthquakes.
Speaker 2: The app is free to download.
Speaker 1: Let's say how good morning to the producer and director of Abby's List, A Dog youmentary? Yes, dog youmentary, not documentary. Good morning Mark Sutherland.
Speaker 9: Good morning Amy King.
Speaker 1: Okay, so your movies coming out in select theaters this weekend, and if you are looking for hope and inspiration and true love. This one might be the one for you, So please tell us about your movie.
Speaker 2: Abby's List a documentary.
Speaker 9: Back in twenty sixteen, I lived in Hermosa Beach and my dog was getting older. She was getting up in years. She was a whippet named Abby. I'd had two other whippets that it both unfortunately passed away around that age. So I figured we were on borrowed time and figured what better thing to do than to hit the road and do some of her favorite things. But her favorite things, in my eyes, maybe not exactly the same sort of favorite things that most people would think of, which I think is what made the film entertaining. The first thing she did was sale a yacht. We took her up to Sequoia so she could pee on some of the world's tallest trees. Went to Vegas so she could live like a rock star in a three thousand dollars a night sweet which they comped. By the way, I didn't have to pay that She met the world's most famous dog, Goofy Bill Farmer, who does the voice for Goofy. I took her to Disney World because I wanted her to ride my favorite ride as a kid. Wanted her to see what I just wanted to see that look on her face, you know that little kids get when they ride or ride like that the first time.
Speaker 1: And do little kids' faces and dogs faces look similar.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, exactly the same little bit of droll, eyes wide open. So we just started out basically to do this and to shoot some you know, just ridiculous absurd videos for friends. And then two things happened really quickly. The videos started going crazy viral, and Abby started aging in reverse and started acting more like a nine or ten year old than a fourteen year old. So what we do, So what we decided to do was let's keep on going. We kept on going, and our three week road trip became almost three years.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, and how many places did you visit in three years?
Speaker 2: Mark?
Speaker 9: Fifteen? Fifteen places including we went to the White House. We we got a private island in Canada for two weeks. Because she hadn't spent a lot of time outdoors, I mean at the beach and stuff, but not camping. I wanted her to experience that. We went to SeaWorld. One of the most magical scenes in the film is when I took her to SeaWorld and the dolphin found out there was a dog on the other side of the glass, and it's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. There were like twenty or thirty humans over there, you know, like I don't know, twenty or thirty feet to our left, and all the dolphin were right in front of abbey. They were ignoring all the people, and once they found out there was a dog on the other side of the glass, they went right for the dog. You could probably hear it in my voice. It still affects me that we had such an amazing time, you know. And I started out doing this for her and ultimately, you know, it gave back to me tenfold. And we started making what was just going to be a few videos, and we said, you know what, this is a full film. And then we won four out of our five US festivals, and then AMC just picked us up for a theatrical release, which never happens. So I'm living under a charm star. And it's all because I had a tough stretch in Los Angeles and instead of just moping about it, we decided to, you know, do something about it. And I hit the road with my best friend, and I'm absolutely certain that it prolonged her life as well. So really, ultimately, the film's about living life.
Speaker 1: I love that, whether you're a dog or a person, go live your life, right, And if you want to see Abby's Best Life, you can head to movie theaters because it's hitting theaters this weekend, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it opens on Friday the second, and we're doing we're also doing a special show in Rolling Hills, the AMC Rolling Hills in Torrents there in the South Bay seven five on Friday night. Bill Farmer, that's going to join me, the voice of Goofy. We're going to do a Q and A after we screen the film down there. It's only fifteen bucks, so like seeing a movie is, you know, about the greatest and the cheapest form of really solid entertainment, and you'll get to meet Goofy too. So that's this Saturday at seven forty five, and it's gonna play starting Friday every day and if it does well, then you know it'll stay longer than a week. And we're also trying to we're trying to add a theater in Burbank two, so fingers crossed, I'll know about that in a day or two. But okay, I just I really appreciate you give me a chance to talk about it, because it's just fun to share what an amazing experience we had.
Speaker 1: I love it, And Mark, will you keep us post and let us know if it's going to be in Burbank. If you find out that it will Aaron Burbank and will share that. But for right now, it opens Friday, May second at Rolling Hills.
Speaker 2: It's an AMC in Torrents. Correct.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and you can get more information at abby'slistmovie dot com.
Speaker 1: Abby's List Movie Great. We wish you so much great success, Mark. I mean, I love movies like this, and I hope you, you know, get everything out of it that you would hope too.
Speaker 2: And I love your story of Abby. Can't wait to see it. Thank you, all right, take care Mark quickly, Yes, okay.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 9: If anybody wants to do this with your dog, just do it while they're young. I'm so glad that I did it, but I wish that we'd done it even earlier.
Speaker 2: So okay, that's great words of advice. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Mark Sutherland, director and producer of Abby's List a documentary.
Speaker 2: Isn't that great. I love that.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three men have been arrested in connection with a deadly home invasion in Woodland Hills. The break in happened early Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: Please say.
Speaker 12: The homeowner was held captive, assaulted, and suffered a head injury, then died at the scene.
Speaker 2: The suspects escaped with the victim's property.
Speaker 1: Jeff I's Daniel Martindale says the arrests were made in Glendale and Sherman Oaks. The accused killers are being held on two million dollars bail. With the field of candidates for California governor getting crowded, cal State Domingus Hill's political science professor Christopher Holland Brook tells KFI at this stage, the candidates that have announced their running are really just testing the waters.
Speaker 8: A lot of the reason to declare this early is to sort of see what happens, see what your poll numbers look like, see if anyone will give you money, and if there's any actual future to your campaign.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 1: Most of the attention so far is on whether former Vice President Harris is going to get into the race. President Trump will no longer recognize Indigenous People's Day alongside Columbus Day.
Speaker 12: He's reversing the practice initiated by Biden. Back in twenty twenty one, Trump criticized Democrats for undermining Columbus's legacy, calling for a return to traditional American symbols. Now, in California, the second Monday in October is officially observed as Indigenous People's Day, replacing Columbus Day. The state recognizes the contributions and resilience of Native peoples.
Speaker 1: Andrew Caravella News This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Sunny skies, so a nice day on the way. Hi's in the low to mid sixties at the beach's, mid upper sixties for Metro La and Inland Orange County, sixties to low seventies for the valleys and Inland Empire, sixties in the Antelope Valley. Clear skies with lows in the fifties. Tonight sunny with eyes in the sixties to mid seventies at the coast and Metro areas. Tomorrow's seventies to low eighties for the valleys. In Ie a little bit cooler. Wednesday and Thursday, it's fifty three in Diamond Bar, fifties six in Newport Beach, fifty four in Buena Park, and forty five in Palmdale. Live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom, I'm Amy King. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wickup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app