Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Today, we're cracking open your provided excerpts from the Vulnerability Researcher's Handbook.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think of this less like a dry technical manual and more like a backstage pass. You know. We're looking at solfware vulnerabilities, how they're found, what happens next, and why it all matters for keeping our digital stuff secure. Absolutely, we'll trace their life cycle, look at the common types, and even get into some of the wealthy ethics around finding them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, it's hard to really overstate how much software runs things now, everything pretty much your phone, apps, critical infrastructure. It's all code. And well, where there's code, there can be weaknesses, vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: And those are the open doors for attackers.
Speaker 2: Exactly, cybercrime, privacy breaches, even disrupting major systems or national security risks. And the really tricky part is the unknown ones. They're just lurking.
Speaker 1: There, undisclosed stuff, hard to defend against what you don't know exists precisely. Okay, so finding and sounds tough. But once a researcher does find a vulnerability, how do they know how bad it is? Is it just a guess?
Speaker 2: Oh not at all. There's actually a system for this. It's quite structured. It's called the Common Vulnerability Scoring System CVSS for short. Think of it like a standardized ruler for measuring how severe a flaw is the common language exactly that. It helps security pros talk about the impact. It calculates a score based on well, how it affects confidentiality, integrity, and availability. The CIA triad.
Speaker 1: It's like a risk score, right, The CIA triad makes sense? So are there specific tools researchers used to hunt these down like digital bloodhounds.
Speaker 2: There definitely are vulnerability standing tools. They help automate finding, classifying, and you know, prioritizing risks.
Speaker 1: The example.
Speaker 2: Sure, you've got things like nikto that's an open source one command line mostly for web servers. Then there are commercial ones like rapids of an Expose or Qualless Vulnerability Management. They usually have more features. Dashboards link up with other tools, so you run.
Speaker 1: A scan and bam, all the problems pop up. Seems a bit too.
Speaker 2: Easy, ha, Well yeah, it's not quite magic. These tools are really valuable, but you have to understand their limits.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They basically work off databases of known vulnerabilities. So if something is brand new a zero day.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, so only known stuff right exactly?
Speaker 2: Or if the tool just isn't programmed to look for that specific type of flaw, it might miss it like an old virus scanner.
Speaker 1: Got it. So what are the usual suspects? Then? What kinds of flaws pop up most often?
Speaker 2: Well, if we look at web applications, a really common one is cross site scripting XSS.
Speaker 1: Right EXSS, I've heard of that. That's where they inject code into websites.
Speaker 2: Exactly. An attacker slips malicious code into a site and then it runs in the browser of anyone who visits, often exploits bad input handling sneaky.
Speaker 1: How does that work? Different types?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a few flavors. Persistent EXSS stores the bad code right on the site. Reflected EXSS usually come from clicking a bad link, and dom based XSS messes with how JavaScript on the page handles data.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds like a major headache. What else is common?
Speaker 2: Another big category is injection attacks SQL injection and no sequel injection.
Speaker 1: That's attacking the database directly.
Speaker 2: Pretty much imagine a log in form If the site isn't careful an attacker can type stuff into that form that actually sends commands straight to the database. They could grab data, maybe even take control.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Then there's command injection. That's where they trick the server itself into running commands. Could lead to a total takeover kes. And let's not forget cross site request forgery CSRF. That's like tricking you into doing something malicious on a site you're logged into just by clicking a link or visiting a compromise page.
Speaker 1: So making my browser do bad things on my behalf exactly.
Speaker 2: And these are just common web app issues. Clients over apps have their own set of potential problems too, of course.
Speaker 1: Okay, so vulnerabilities get introduced somehow, they take different forms, but what's their lifespan? Is there like a typical journey.
Speaker 2: It's not always perfectly linear, but yeah, you can think of a general life cycle. First is inception, how it gets in there, coding error, bad configuration whatever. Then discovery someone finds it right after that often exploitation and remediation, so it gets used from MARM and then people try to fix it. Finally, finally maybe deprecation. The software gets updated, replaced, the vulnerability becomes less relevant, but stages can overlap, things can get rediscovered.
Speaker 1: It's messy sometimes, and right in the middle of that you have the really scary ones, the zero days. What makes them so much worse.
Speaker 2: Zero days are exploits for vulnerabilities that the developers don't know about yet.
Speaker 1: Ah, So no patch exists when it's first founder.
Speaker 2: Used exactly, That's the critical part. There's no immediate fix. It can take ages for developers to even realize there's a problem, let alone create, test and release a patch, and even.
Speaker 1: Then people might not install the patch right away.
Speaker 2: Precisely. Look at Eternal Blue. That exploit was used in the huge WannaCry ransomware attacks. Microsoft had released a patch, but tons of systems weren't updated. The damage was massive.
Speaker 1: That really drives home the danger you mentioned. We have some real world zero day examples. Can we dig into those see how it plays out?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, real cases make it much clearer. Let's take Pulse connect Secure CVE twenty nineteen eleven fifteen. Okay, researchers found it, reported it responsibly. The vendor, pulse Secure, put out a patch fairly quickly.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a success story.
Speaker 2: Well yes, and no. Here's the twist. Other researchers then took that patch, reverse engineered it.
Speaker 1: Figured out how the original bug works from the fix.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and then they released public exploit code. So the initial discovery was zero day, but the wave of attacks that followed wasn't technically because the flaw was then known. Fascinating, and what's also interesting, the original researchers later used their knowledge ethically. They found vulnerable systems, reported them through bug bound counties, even got a big payout from Twitter for finding it in their VPN setup.
Speaker 1: So the path isn't always straightforward, not at all.
Speaker 2: It shows how complex the weaponization can be.
Speaker 1: What's another example, how.
Speaker 2: About at Lassian Confluence CVE twenty twenty one two six zero eighty four. This was an OGNL injection flaw allowed remote code execution, no login needed ouch and the kicker it was discovered while it was already being actively exploited out in the wild.
Speaker 1: So the attackers found it first, or at least used it first.
Speaker 2: Teams that way. To Alastian's credit, they reacted fast, issued a patch used in Apple alerts. It was actually a better response than for a similar issue they had earlier. CVE twenty nineteen three three ninety six shows the improvement.
Speaker 1: So in that case, the vulnerability, the exploit, the attack all hit it once as.
Speaker 2: A zero day essentially, Yeah, a real scramble.
Speaker 1: That is sobering attackers finding things first it happens.
Speaker 2: Another one Microsoft dot Net CVE twenty seventeen eight seven five nine, also found after it's being exploited, clearly part of an active campaign. And then there was the Citrix ADC Gateway vulnerability CVE twenty nineteen nineteen seven eight one, nicknamed Shitrix by some Yeah, okay, serious issue though very unauthorized remote code execution. Again, it was disclosed to Citrix, but the patch took over a month. They suggested mitigations in the meantime. Hmm, the month is a long time, it is, and it raises a tough question right when disclosure happens but there's no immediate patch. Does that early warning help users more or does it just give attackers a heads up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tricky balance. These cases really show the different facets and the ethical typrope everyone's.
Speaker 2: Walking, absolutely, and that brings us to responsibilities. Vendors for instance, really need to work with research ever we got against them right. Hostile policies like sending cease and desist letters for good faith research that just pushes researchers to maybe sell the vulnerability or go public out of frustration. Clear, safe harbor and responsible disclosure policies are key and.
Speaker 1: The vendor's duty to us the users.
Speaker 2: Fundamentally, they have to protect their users, patching known flaws and supported products, giving mitigation advice. They should also nudge people using old versions to upgrade if user data gets compromised because of a software flaw. The vendor really bears a lot of the responsibility.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, and it's not just their own code they need to worry about. Is it software uses lots of other bits and pieces.
Speaker 2: That's a huge point. Modern software is built on layers, open source libraries underlying operating systems. Vendors can't just secure their little piece and ignore the foundation.
Speaker 1: Like the wantacray example hitting old Windows XP systems.
Speaker 2: Exactly, if a vendor sells you a whole package hardware and software, they need to think about the security of the entire thing, not just the parts they wrote from scratch.
Speaker 1: Okay, so shifting gears a bit. If someone listening is thinking, hey, I want to find these things. What's the typical starting point? How does that research process usually work?
Speaker 2: Well? The general path usually starts with identifying a target, What software hardware do you want to look at? Then you research it, how does it work? Where might weaknesses lie? Then comes the attempt to actually exploite those potential weaknesses, but in a safe, controlled way in a lab environment. Absolutely critical. If you find something, you document it thoroughly clear, report steps to reproduce it, and finally you submit that report to the right people the vendor.
Speaker 1: Usually it sounds a bit like lock picking. Study the lock, find flaws, try to open it.
Speaker 2: Document how that's a great analogy. Actually, yeah, studying the design, finding weaknesses, testing techniques, reporting back, maybe even suggesting improvements.
Speaker 1: Are there places to learn more? Get started?
Speaker 2: Oh? Definitely? The full disclosure mailing list is classic for seeing what others are finding. Defcon talk recordings are fantastic for deep dives. Vendor security bulletins Microsoft, Uboon, tou etc. Are essential if you're focused on their products, and oh wus The Open Web Application Security Project has tons of resources, especially for web stuff, But honestly, practice is everything. Set up a lab, start experimenting.
Speaker 1: Okay, choosing a target. There's so much software, how do you even pick where to look? Seems overwhelming?
Speaker 2: It can be. Choosing strategically helps. Start with something you're actually interested in that keeps you motivated.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Also, think about likelihood. Is the software complex old? Does it have a huge user base but maybe hasn't been looked at closely for security? Those can sometimes be well fruitful areas well. Consider what you can realistically test. Do you have the means? And crucially do you have permission? If it's not your own system, that's non.
Speaker 1: Negotiable, right, Permission is key.
Speaker 2: Maybe focus on software handling valuable data and align it with your skills or what you want to learn, and always always in an isolated test environment. Cannot stress that enough.
Speaker 1: You mentioned an interesting example in the handbook Horse Management Software. Why that right?
Speaker 2: That was just an illustration of finding niches. Sometimes specialized software for an industry or or hobby hasn't had the same security scrutiny as say Windows itself.
Speaker 1: Ah, Okay, less common targets exactly.
Speaker 2: You might find something older on source forge, Maybe get a free demo, look at the features? Does it handle billing, personal info? The age itself can be a clue. Older code might use outdated, less secure practices. The point is finding something accessible you can test safely in your lab where there's a decent chance of finding something interesting, and.
Speaker 1: Once you have a target, you don't just poke at it randomly. Right you mentioned test cases.
Speaker 2: Definitely not random. Structure testing is way more effective and you don't have to start from scratch.
Speaker 1: Use existing resources absolutely.
Speaker 2: The OAS Web Security Testing Guide WSTG is amazing for wear apps. Frameworks like mitery, ATT and CK give you a way to think about different attacker techniques.
Speaker 1: So you use those to build your tests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, structure your test cases. What's the goal? Maybe link it to an att and CK tactic. What are the exact testing steps? Maybe you're trying dl high jacking techniques you found on hat tricks and think about potential fixes based on best practices. Clear goals make the whole process much more focused.
Speaker 1: Okay, leveraging existing knowledge, structured approach. Got it? What about the tools of the trade. What's in a vulnerability researcher's toolkit?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's quite a range basic stuff. First note, ticking screenshots, screen recording tools like cherry Tree, green shot obs are popular.
Speaker 1: For documentation exactly.
Speaker 2: Then the core testing environment hypervisors and VMS. VMware Workstation pro is great, commercial, has snapshots, virtual boxes, free, open source, very common. Hyper v is built into Windows, and you can save time with pre built dms designed for security. Collie Linux is the famous one, but also mobexler, Remnucks, the trace labs, ocent vm lots of options.
Speaker 1: What about specific testing tools for web apps?
Speaker 2: Proxies are essential. Burpsuite is the industry standard, powerful but commercial. Zap is a great free, open source alternative both let you intercept and mess with web.
Speaker 1: Traffic and for non web stuff looking inside applications.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you need debuggers like alidbiger, wind big to step through code execution. Decompilers and disassemblers let you reverse engineer compiled code. Redard To and Guidra are amazing free options. IDPro is a commercial king but expensive, and the CIS Internal Suite has indispensable utilities for Windows research.
Speaker 1: That's a serious toolkit. Okay, So let's say you use these tools, you follow your test cases, and bingo, you find a vulnerability. Now, what how do you tell people? That's vulnerability disclosure.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, communicating your findings responsibly is critical. Think back to Dan Kaminski and the DNS flaw in two thousand and eight. That was a landmark case.
Speaker 1: What happened there.
Speaker 2: He found a really fundamental flaw in how DNS worked, but instead of just dropping it publicly, he worked quietly behind the scenes with Microsoft, Cisco, all the big players got patches developed before he announced it publicly at the black Hat conference. Coordinated approach, Yes, minimize the chaos, set a great press for handling critical stuff.
Speaker 1: So that's one model coordinated disclosure. Are there others?
Speaker 2: There are a few main types. Coordinated is generally preferred. Work with the vendor, give them time to patch before going public.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Then there's private disclosure. You just tell the vendor and they decide how and when to fix it and announce it common if you're hired for a penetration test.
Speaker 1: Right part of the contract.
Speaker 2: And then there's full disclosure. That's just releasing all the details publicly, maybe with little or no warning to the vendor. It's controversial, arguments for and against it. In terms of protecting users, Where do.
Speaker 1: Big bounty programs fit in? They seem really common now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've become a big part of the landscape platforms like hacker own bug crowd, they act as go betweens.
Speaker 1: How do they work?
Speaker 2: The company sets the rules, what you can test, what kind of bugs they'll pay for. Researchers submit reports through the platform. It streamlines things, creates.
Speaker 1: A record, sounds good anty downsides.
Speaker 2: Well, the platforms themselves aren't always motivated to fight for the researcher's pay out if there's a dispute, and sometimes the scope can be limiting or findings get dismixed unfairly. They're useful, but not a replacement for a solid, overall responsible disclosure policy from the company itself.
Speaker 1: So if there's no bug bounty, how do you initiate contact? Just email them.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, gather your info about the vendor, about your findings. Your first email should be clear, state your intentions, reward dot credit, just want it fixed, Include a solid proof of concept evidence, and keep the tone professional. No threats, no demands, no vague you've been hacked stuff, be specific. Then maybe followup politely every thirty days or so, give them up to ninety days for a proper response.
Speaker 1: Generally, why don't they just ignore you? Where they get hostile?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that happens if they're unresponsive, you could try community forums, maybe find unofficial support folks. Full disclosure is a last resort and maybe even then hold back the working exploit if there's no fix to avoid immediate.
Speaker 1: Harm and hostile vendors unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be prepared for legal threats, maybe even social engineering attempts against you. There have been nasty cases. Using an alias during research and initial contact can offer some protection.
Speaker 1: It's a tough spot, definitely sounds challenging. So assuming disclosure happens, maybe it gets fixed. How does the world learn about this vulnerability? Formally publishing it?
Speaker 2: Yes, publishing is really important for the broader community. Getting findings into recognized databases helps everyone. Think about Armis Labs and their Blueborn research on Bluetooth flaws. They published a huge white paper, got multiple cvees assigned. That raised massive awareness, pushed vendors to fix things, spurred more research. Publishing drives progress.
Speaker 1: And CVE common vulnerabilities and exposures. That's the main database, right.
Speaker 2: That's the big one. Yeah, publicly available catalog. To get a CVE, the software usually needs to be something the end user manages where they could disable a flawed.
Speaker 1: Component, so not usually basic web services where the user controls nothing.
Speaker 2: Generally no basic SAWS often doesn't qualify. Cvees are assigned by CEDEM CVE numbering Authorities. These are orgs partnered with MITERI, who runs the CVE list.
Speaker 1: What if the software doesn't have a specific CNA.
Speaker 2: Then you go to a CNA LR last resort that's usually IMERI itself or CISA for industrial control systems. Some other platforms like Hunter dot dev for GitHub open source, or ZDIS Zero Day Initiative also assigned cvees.
Speaker 1: What about those ineligible apps like SAWS anyway to publish those findings?
Speaker 2: Options are limited for say a standard sauce platform, where you can't get a CVE, your main responsible path is still direct disclosure to the vendor. There aren't really public databases for those specific types of flaws. But for other software that might not fit CVE criteria perfectly, you could look at vulnerability aggregators like vuln dB. They all have their own roles.
Speaker 1: Though this whole process research disclosure, it sounds like you can get complicated, even contentious, between researchers and vendors. Is there anyone who can help if things go wrong? A mediator.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, that's called vulnerability mediation. It's like coordinated disclosure, but with a neutral third party stepping.
Speaker 1: In like a referee kind of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Helps resolve disputes, smooth things over, facilitate communication. Remember that case in Germany Lilith Whitman. Responsible disclosure led to a criminal investigation. Initially, mediation can help avoid that, provide structure, maybe anonymity, legal help.
Speaker 1: Who does this mediation?
Speaker 2: Several organizations can play this role. First the form of incident response and security teams, the cert Coordination Center sert DC vince ussert I see CERT for Industrial Systems. Acting fast and choosing the right mediator is key if communication breaks down.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about the other extreme, when a researcher feels totally ignored and decides, I'm just publishing this myself, independent publishing that should.
Speaker 2: Really be the last resort, only after responsible disclosure attempts have truly failed.
Speaker 1: How does it work?
Speaker 2: The researcher basically posts a report online, personal blog, medium, GitHub pages, maybe a security mailing list, sometimes includes proof of concept code. The goal is usually to put pressure on the company to finally fix the issue.
Speaker 1: Sounds risky free speech arguments aside, What are the dangers?
Speaker 2: Significant legal risks? Potentially violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse aced CFAA. Did your testing cross the line into unauthorized access copyright issues DMCA? If you publish code improperly using the vulnerability yourself before disclosure is obviously criminal and defamation. If you make false claims or state opinions as facts and it harms the company's reputation, they could sue, and simply failing to give any notice before going public can look bad. Legally, stick to the facts, avoid assumptions.
Speaker 1: So, if despite the risks, a researcher go this route, how should they do it?
Speaker 2: Carefully write a clear, factual report, redact sensitive info from vendor communications, suggest fixes, Maybe publish on a personal blog, get up pages as free, or try security lists like sekhlists dot org. Maybe even tip off.
Speaker 1: Tech media in a checklist before hitting publish.
Speaker 2: Definitely review any contracts, double check nobody else published at first, Tell the vendor you intend to publish, give them a final deadline, fact check everything, rigorously remove private licensed stuff, credit collaborators, proofread, then publish. Optionally, let the vendor know it's out.
Speaker 1: Wow, the complex world, thanks for walking us through that, the real world case studies you mentioned earlier really seemed to highlight these challenges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those examples are really instructive. We saw the frustration with slow, uncooperative vendors, how even small publishing mistakes can cause delays.
Speaker 1: Right and the risk of exploits being used immediately if communication fails.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That case underlined how critical clear communication is from researchers and how vendors need to be responsive and understanding prematurely releasing exploit code is.
Speaker 1: Dangerous and working with big companies can be a slog.
Speaker 2: Finding the right contact, dealing with NDAs bureaucratic delays requires persistence.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you just hit a wall with first level support.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that last case showed sometimes you need to escalate quickly. If the initial contact clearly isn't equipped to handle a security report, try multiple contacts as possible. These stories just show the human element the communication challenge is inherent in this process.
Speaker 1: It's been a really insightful look at the researchers side. Let's flip it now thinking about the future from a vendor's perspective, What should companies take away about security researchers, How can they work together better?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Companies need to remember people like Barnaby Jack, who did critical work on medical device security. Researchers aren't the enemy. They're often like a free external security audit team, a resource. Exactly, getting contacted by a researcher should be seen as an opportunity. The most important thing a vendor can do is have a public, easy to find, welcoming, responsible disclosure policy.
Speaker 1: Why is that so crucial?
Speaker 2: Without one, researchers might assume the company is hostile. They might go public or worse, sell the vulnerability. A clear policy sets expectations, shows you're open to collaboration. Vendors who are dismissive or threatening, they just lose control of the situation.
Speaker 1: What are the benefits of collaborating Early.
Speaker 2: Detection of flaws obviously better product security. Overall, more transparency with your customers, which builds trust. It's really a win win when it works well.
Speaker 1: So what concrete things should vendors do to build that trust? What are the common mistates to avoid?
Speaker 2: Okay, common missteps. Don't be dismissive, Treat every report seriously, even if it seems small. Initially, respect their expertise, Respond promptly. Yes, don't be unresponsive, acknowledge receipt quickly, give updates, even if it's just to say you're still working on it. We else, don't be secretive, be transparent about the remediation process, timelines. If you give a deadline, try to meet it or communicate delays clearly, don't take reports personally. It's feedback, not an attack, and please don't start with lawyers.
Speaker 1: Talk first. Makes sense. So the responsible disclosure policy is key to setting this collaborative tone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's the foundation. It should clearly define the scope, what's okay to test, what's not okay like DOS attacks, social engineering, how to submit reports, commit to acknowledging and communicating. Explain how you'll assess severity like using CVSS, Outlining your remediation.
Speaker 1: Plan, and the safe harbor part crucial.
Speaker 2: A safe harbor clause basically says if you follow these rules and act in good faith, we won't pursue legal action against you. That protection is huge for researchers. And finally, offer public recognition or credit if the researcher wants it.
Speaker 1: This has been incredibly thorough, a really fantastic deep dive into vulnerability research from discovery to disclosure and beyond. Thanks for clarifying so much my pleasure.
Speaker 2: It's a complex but vital field. Hopefully this helps people understand it a bit better.
Speaker 1: Definitely, so just to recap quickly, vulnerabilities are everywhere. Understanding their life cycle is key, ethics, clear communication super important for both researchers and vendors, and things are moving towards more collaboration, which is good news.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And whether you're coding software, working in security, or just using tech every day, knowing this stuff helps you appreciate the challenges and the critical role researchers play and keeping things safer.
Speaker 1: Which brings us to a final thought for you, the listener. In this software driven world, this constant dance between the builders and the flawfinders pushes security forward. But what's our role as users? What responsibility do we have to protect ourselves and maybe encourage better security from the companies we rely on.
Speaker 2: It's worth thinking about and definitely explore the resources we mentioned miters, CB list, OOP, mailing lists, keep learning, think about the ethics and how you can maybe contribute, even just by being an informed user to a more secure digital world.