Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'm lazy, Boston's new radio heer.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone. A Delta plane today made an emergency landing. They deployed slides in Atlanta. The Delta flight eight seventy six was headed to South Carolina this afternoon. I'm not exactly sure at the time. Let me double check that on the time. Flight eight seventy six returned to Hartsfield Jackson on Monday after the crew reported seeing Hayes in the flight deck. I saw some of the video tonight on the evening newscast, and it was a lot more than Hayes. To me, it looked like possible smoke inside the aircraft, prompting the pilot, according to New York Times, declare an emergency and passengers to evacuate by slides once it safely landed. That Boeing seven seventeen aircraft was headed for Columbia, South Carolina. That is not a long flight. Returned to the Atlanta airp around nine am. Ninety Four passengers as well as five crew members were aboard. Of course, the flight crew members reacted and no serious injuries apparently here. But it looks as if a couple of passengers were treated by medical folks on the scene. Now, I think all of us saw what happened in Toronto last weekend when I Delta jet that had left Minneapolis was trying to land at Toronto Pearson Airport, which is named after it was Lester Pearson, former Prime Minister of Canada. My Canadian listeners will tell me if I'm right or wrong on that flipped over in the Toomac injury at least eighteen people. The airline is offering a thirty thousand dollars reward to each passenger was on the flight, but I know at least two passengers have already decided to sue. On Saturday, adulta flight carrying one hundred and sixty two people took off from Los Angeles International Inport headed to Sydney, Australia, had to return to the airport after smoke was detected in the galley. I hadn't even heard about that. And of course the flight that all of us have heard about and saw and were so you know, I mean, sixty seven people killed when an Army helicopter on a training mission collided as it was headed into a Reagan National Airport over the Potomac River on January twenty ninth, and that took the lives of all sixty seven people, including several from the Boston area, not that their lives are any more important, but obviously when it's folks from the Boston area, it hit pretty close to home, the Boston Skating Club. So as a consequence, there was a pole recently taken. It was taken I think after the January twenty ninth crash in Washington, d C. After the there was a plane crash in Alaska and a small plane crash who was a medical plane in Philadelphia that crashed on takeoff in Philadelphia, but before the plane flipped while landing up in Toronto. And again according to this pole, which is an Associated Press poll, it's said sixty four percent of American people think that flying in a plane is safe, a very or somewhat safe. That compares to sixty five percent of people who think it's safe or somewhat safe to just be walking, and sixty three percent believe it's safe, very safe, or somewhat safe to be in a car. So it's kind of interesting in terms of the other side of the equation very or somewhat unsafe, seventeen percent walking and seventeen percent of the car numbers are always tough to do, and twenty percent of a plane. The worst numbers were not walking, flying, or driving or being driven. The worst numbers were local subway, metro or light rail systems. So fifty three percent so the said those were various somewhat safe, but twenty three percent say they were very or somewhat unsafe. Now, I gotta tell you, I probably feel and maybe it's because of what plane crashes we've seen recently, that number has dropped. Last year, seventy one percent of US adults said they thought that air travel plane travel was either very or somewhat safe. That figure is down to sixty four percent, So that's about a ten percent drop in within a year. Now it goes on and breaks it down according to the gender and this AP poll says men, older people, and college graduates are more likely to think planes are safe. So for example, college graduate it's eighty three percent think planes are safe or somewhat safe. Non college graduates only fifty four percent. That's a big disparity. Men, by a margin of seventy one to fifty eight percent think planes are safe or somewhat safe. And then older people forty five and older compared to people between eighteen and forty four think that planes are safe. So that is what it means when it says men, older people in college graduates. So if you are an older person who happens to be male and a college graduate, probably you think it's pretty safe. This PAUL was conducted February sixth through the tenth Now overall again in January of twenty two, twenty four, seventy one percent of people thought air travel was safe for someone safe. The distinctions between Democrats, independents, and Republicans, there was some difference. Democrats felt safer, Republicans felt worth seventy percent. Democrats were seventy six percent, Independence were sixty one percent. That's kind of interesting that the independent is the one that who describes themselves politically thinks that it's that it's somewhat unsafe in twenty twenty five. This month, the overall number had dropped from seventy one to sixty four. There wasn't much of a drop amongst Republicans, it was just down one percent, seventy to sixty nine. The drop amongst Democrats was significantly more seventy six thought it was really safe if you were a Democrat, and now it's not a sixty nine percent. Part of that might be that they don't have as much faith in Donald Trump. But in January of twenty twenty four, sixty one percent of independence thought air travel was safe or somewhat safe. Now it's not a forty three percent. That's like a fifty percent drop amongst independent people. And and then there's another question here dealing with air safety. The public has the most confidence in pilots, at least in the federal government to maintain air safety. So a great deal or a moderate amount we trust pilots eighty four percent. Air traffic control is somewhat smaller seventy seven percent, but pretty close. Commercial airlines seventy So we trust pilots, air traffic controllers, and commercial airlines. Federal government agencies only fifty five percent. So I think those numbers are really interesting. Okay, So I like to throw it out to you. There's no right, there's no wrong answer here. But my question is pretty simple. Have the most recent air incidents tragedies? The crash over the Potomac River, which should have been avoided, The crash landing in which no one died in Toronto compared to the sixty seven souls who lost their lives in Washington, and to these other various and sundry incidents. Whether it's smoking the cabin today in Atlanta over the weekend, and a plane going from LA to Sydney, Australia, and smaller planes, I feel a lot. I feel safer in a big commercial plane. I don't know why, but I do. Smaller planes and helicopters always kind of freaked me out. So my question is, are you in any way, shape or form impacted by this? Have you changed your travel plans? Have you decided I'm going to take a train to Washington or to New York. I don't really need that airline ticket. Or have you decided the next time I go to New York or Washington, I'll take the train or I'll drive. Driving I think is crazy, but that's a story for another time. Have you changed your attitude towards being in the ear in that silver tube or that metal tube and you have no control. I think most of us think, hey, if I'm driving, and even if I hit a patch of ice, or if there's an accident in front of me. I I'm in control when you're when you're in row thirty three c B. You have no control if there's a problem. So let's let's talk about a serious subject. But I'd love to get your point of view. Six one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. We have Rob Brooks is off tonight. Okay, Mike Templeton is there, so let's uh, let's get Mike's night a little busy here, Light up these folk lines six one seven, nine three one ten thirty six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty. Air travel. Have the incidents of the last month, month and a half have they changed your attitudes towards air travel in any way? Coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio, talking about your you towards air travel. I have phonn on my share of airplanes in my life. I must tell you that I've had some landings that were no fun. I've had, and I'm sure some of you have had as well. I've had a couple of fly arounds, or at least one fly a round that I specifically remember, which I'll be happy to tell you, but I much prefer to hear from you from your stories. And I've had one plane which we returned to Logan Airport because they were afraid that there was some a device on the plane. And the pilot was very calm, cool and collected. We had just left Washington, going left Boston going to Washington the day after Ronald Reagan baumb Olivia, and we maybe were ten minutes out, which is a good part of the flight. The flight's only about probably seventy eighty minutes in those days. And the pilot came on and he was had his pilot voice, and he said, well, folks, we got a little bit of a light up here on the dashboard. I remember he used the word dashboard. And he said, we're just going to swing on back to Logan Airport, get it fixed, and we'll be back up in a few minutes, so we'll get you to Washington on time. Just sit back and relax. And I looked back at the flight attendance and they were all sitting there looking very nervous. Apparently there'd have been a woman who had gotten on the plane loader, who luggaged on the plane and had not on boarded the plane, and so the count, the passenger count that did not reconciund. And this is nineteen eighty six, this is long before nine to eleven, and that pilot dropped the plane to sea level. I mean we were coming in probably five hundred feet above the water, above the water, and he just hauled into the Logan Airports April. I was with the camera guy, Bruce Ban at that time, if I recall correctly, and then the pilot told us had off the plane a back door. Everybody off quickly. Fire trucks were out there, the guys in the aluminum suits, and it was pretty clear that they thought they had a serious situation. As it turned out, the woman had had had had an argument with her boyfriend at the gate and did not get on the plane. But tensions were pretty high. And I'll tell you when we were flying back in there, there are a lot of people, including me, say in prayers. Let's get to the phones. Let me go first off too, Paul in Ontario, Hi, Paul, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm doing very well, Dan, how are you good?
Speaker 2: What's been the reaction up in Ontario and up in Canada to that horrific crash that, thank god, no one died at Was it Lester Pearson? Was he the Prime Minister of Canada, for whom the Toronto Airport was.
Speaker 3: Named, He sure was, Yeah, And that's the second major accident at Pearson Airport over the last ten years. There was an Air France plane or jet rather that crash landed probably around twenty fifteen twenty sixteen, and it burst into flames as well, and everyone survived. So it's very unnerving. We drive by the airport quite frequently and the expressway is right next to the airport, and the jets literally looked like they're going to land on the freeway. So it was unnerving, and I can certainly say from my perspective it does make me more nervous about flying when there's a few of these incidents in a close timeframe.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm looking at this Air France flight three point fifty eight, regularly scheduled flight from Charles de Gaul Airport in Paris to Toronto the afternoon of August second, two thousand and five, so it's almost twenty years ago. Well yeah, and he's an airport and airbus that's a big plane operating the route over ran the runway and crashed into nearby at the Piccoke Creek approximately Tobicoke Creek. Yeah, okay and okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The irony of that situation was that evening we were picking up my wife and I were picking up her brother who was flying in from Sydney, Australia, and the wreckage of the Air France aircraft was still very visible. So that that's really unnerving.
Speaker 2: So it said three hundred and not big plane. Three hundred and nine people on board survived, although twelve sustained serious injuries. You know, there's a lot of airports I flew into, you know, Miami recently, and most airports you do go over highways, and and certainly in Washington when you flying in a Reagan, there's there's all sorts of highways underneath and you're looking down. And that's probably the very few inp what's were there on highways because they want people to be able to get there, when you think about it, but that's true.
Speaker 3: My wife and I were actually in Washington a couple of years ago, and we noticed the high volume of air traffic, helicopters and aircraft going over that very narrow stretch along the Potomac River. And you know, when I heard what had happened, it wasn't shocking because just the number of aircraft. And I believe that way back in the in the eighties, there was another aircraft that crashed into the Potomac River, if I remember.
Speaker 2: The Potomac said, you corrected the name of your river, so Potomac. And that was a plane that took off and they had a problem with ice on the wings and it crashed into a bridge and there were a lot of fatalities on that plane, and there were some people who were just walking by who jumped into the river. As a matter of there was one guy, forget his name, Lenny was his first name, and he was a genuine hero. I mean it was in January, and at that time Ronald Reagan was present. I think that he became a guest of Reagan at the State of the Union address as a true American hero. He saved people's lives that day and was.
Speaker 3: Just and that evening the evening of that crash, my sister and her husband were flying down to Florida, and back back in the eighties, he didn't get information as quickly as you do now. When I had heard a plane had crashed. That was the first thing that crossed my mind. So, of course, yeah, horrible, I find Oh sorry.
Speaker 2: You give your final thought here because I'm coming up with my newsbreaker right ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh, no problem. I just wanted to I just wanted to say, the longer the flight, the more unnerving we've flow into Australia. When you're in the air for fourteen and a half hours from Vancouver to Sydney, that I find the most unnerving, and simply because you wonder where the plane could land if it ran into trouble.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess over the water. Yeah, but I always worry about takeoff and landings. That's my I feel. Once you're up, you know, ten fifteen thousand feet, you're pretty good. Obviously, planes can can have problems, but it's takeoff and landings. We had a bad plane crash here back in this early seventies, a plane that hit the sea wall here and flipped over. I think it was nineteen seven July of nineteen seventy three. And those are the things because there's such a tremendous loss of life that you remember, And of course the one that everyone remembers was when Captain Sullivan landed the plane in the Hudson River and you had that pictures of the plane floating with people standing one January, and that would have been I'm guessing back in two thousand and nine, if I'm not.
Speaker 3: Mistaken, remember it. Well, yeah, I saw the movie as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, Paul, always great to you your voice call more offen, my friend. I miss hearing from you.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Well do you take care of Dan? Have an icy YouTube?
Speaker 2: All six one, seven, two, four, ten thirty. One line there six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Have recent air crashes given you pause about whether or not you're likely to fly the friendly skies of United or any other airlines? Or have you decided maybe they're from now on some of those trains. I mean, I think trains are a great way to travel if you have the time. We back on nightside. The only lines open right now are six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Feel free to light it up. Coming back on nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to the cause we go. The question of the hour is has this spate of plane crash you know, we didn't have a big plane crash in America from I think it's like two thousand and ten. I forget the last big one. We went quite a number of years in terms of America. Now, there were some other lanes. The Malaysian plane that disappeared. I don't think they've ever found that one. You had a couple of planes, I think the Russian shot down leading up to the Ukraine War. But in terms of US air travel, it was a remarkably safe run up until the helicopter crash into the plane that took sixty seven lives. Next up, we're gonna go to Eileen. Hi, Eileen, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good?
Speaker 5: Thanks?
Speaker 3: How are you good?
Speaker 2: How you've traveled by plane? You've been on the same plane on some of our trips as a.
Speaker 5: Matter of fact, absolutely wonderful, wonderful trips. But I think the next trip I want to take will be the Great Lakes by boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great trip. I've heard that people. Matter of fact, a friend of mine did that. I think they they went to Toronto, to Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, there were several major cities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Saint Lawrence River, that's a very interesting part of our country.
Speaker 6: So I guess the question at hand is is have these recent plane accidents caused you to back away from airline trips?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And it's it's not just the accidents, but there's so many planes up there now, and we're so concerned about air pollution and climate change, and I wonder if all of these airplanes flying around up there aren't contributing to pollution and climate change.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they are. I mean, and I suspect everything contributes, meaning automobiles, uh, you know, every trains, everything. But I think we had is that you have everybody now wants to be able to get an airplane and fly air Air travel has become in the last twenty years, ironically, after you know, nine to eleven has become very common. Air travel is like what used to be bus travel. It's not special anymore, in my opinion, but ticket prices are such that people could do it, and there's more airlines there. But you're right, I mean, when you look at the planes taking off or landing at some of our major airports, it's like, who can you know those those air traffic control is they got to be on tropicy.
Speaker 5: I lean, yeah, but I think they're big polluters too. I mean, I think I think we should consider how much climate change might be caused by Maybe.
Speaker 2: We can talk more about that some night as well. I think that's an interesting topic. Ileen is always great. Hear your voice. You sounds strong. We will talk soon.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, yep, thanks Dan, good night.
Speaker 2: Uh So that opens up one at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. And we got a couple at six one seven nine three one ten thirty have recent plane accidents because they are accidents. Remember we had a couple of crashes that well, there was that one off the coast of Long Island that they believe one of the pilots might have intentionally taken the plane down. I don't know how that ever turned out in terms of their investigation. I think that was but at least well probably more than fifteen years ago. Let's go next to my friend Jim in Kansas City. Jim, you're next. You fly much or no? Jim?
Speaker 7: Dan, Hey, thanks for taking my call. Uh I fly very infrequently? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that by design or.
Speaker 7: Yeah? I mean I've lived pretty intentionally.
Speaker 2: And you know what I say was, Jim, some people have jobs where they have to fly. Some people have jobs where they don't have to fly and they have no interest in it. Is that your category? You just assume stay on the ground of terra firma.
Speaker 7: I'm interviewed for a job one time city rent a truck, and he was talking about having me drive a bunch of pickup trucks out out west and then fly back. And I told I stood up in the middle of the interview and I told him, thanks very much, I am not interested in the job. I'm just so I mean, I just you know, I think people that do it do it of their own volition, public forces them on there. But to answer, just to answer your question before we get too far down the road. No, it hasn't changed into my likelihood of flying at all, because I would avoid it, like the plague. I feel like it's just like a like a claustrophobic inside there, like and like they take all of your freedoms and your rights away from you. They're listen, you know, And I would just assume drive because when you get there, you got to rent a car anyway, and if you're run into trouble, you can actually sleep in the vehicle. You can have unlimited baggage in the vehicle, whatever you want. So my likelihood of that of flying is very low. It's possible, but it's very low. Some other things that I wanted to say, was it the way when.
Speaker 2: They excuse me, what's sam when they say you take away your freedoms? When you think about it, okay, Uh, the only freedom that you really lose, well, you can't smoke on airplanes anymore. Okay, but you know, and you have to buckle up and you gotta sit in your seat. What of the freedoms do you lose? You can't you can't jump out of the plane, right, you know.
Speaker 7: It's what you say you can't say. There's a lot of words that you can't say. If they hear you say them, you're in trouble.
Speaker 2: Regardless if you say, if you say I want to hijack this plane, I guarantee you you're going to have a couple of people putting hand cups on you. But but what person would say that? Seriously?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't think you have to say something like that. It's not it doesn't. But I just would not do it because I just love.
Speaker 2: You're an independent soul. By the way, I can see you standing up when you said to me, you describe how you stood up and set.
Speaker 7: There was no movie. There was no movie about p S A Flight number one eighty two. And I'll tell you something else too. Here's the way I see it. I think the people on the airplane, I don't understand why the people on the airplane get compensation. I think the people who should get compensation, or the people on the ground. The way I see it, the people that are on the airplane are like co conspirators there.
Speaker 2: They I think that's a that's a fairly radical point of view, but that's okay. Well, by the way.
Speaker 7: People, by the way, the guy in Canada was saying just exactly that. He was saying that. He was saying that every time he goes by there, he's scared that a plane is going to crash on him. And I'm not afraid of it. But I think it's a reasonable it's a reasonable time.
Speaker 2: I getting an elevator, Jim, I'm scared the elevator might one of the cords might break, and I could, you know, die in the elevator. Look, the thing is, if a plane crashes into your house and hurts you or your family, you'll end up being compensated. But if a plane flies overhead and you're a little troubled by it, there's really no cause of action you can take. Do you know what I'm saying. I mean, there's no should be? Well should be? What would you do like a noise noise nuisance action or something.
Speaker 7: Well, for one thing, I think when there's a plane crash, all planes should be grounded until after we get a rock solid And you alluded to it too, you said you still don't even know whether that guy crashed the plane intentionally because it's all like swept under the rug. Well, we should be given rock solid answers about yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, first of all, I don't have the report in front of me, but there was some suggestion that one of the pilots on that plane was suffering from some sort of mental stress, I mean, which is one of the reasons you got to put pilots through. You know. It's one thing, if Jim is driving his car, what's the main route in Kansas City?
Speaker 7: Route seventy, here's seventy or thirty thirty five, So if you're.
Speaker 2: Driving twenty nine to Okay, I'm sorry, I don't know all the roads, but if you're driving to Kansas City and you're blowing down the road in one hundred and twenty in your car and you crash into somebody, you know that can happen to So it's part of yep, you it is, it's part of it's part of life. Hey, Jim, I got to run here, my man. You are always one of my most interesting callers, whether we agree to disagree. I think you know that.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, thanks, thanks pal talk.
Speaker 2: So we'll take very quick break. The only line open now is six one seven two five four to ten thirty. We got uh the other line Cholman to be give you the number because they want the confusions full up. Six one seven two five four to ten thirty. Have the plane crashes of the last month and there's been a couple of big ones and a few little ones. Has it changed your attitude your likelihood to get back on a plane anytime soon? Back on nights Side after.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Way Live from the Window World to Night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I don't know when my my sound went there that get real low there for a second, h Mike, Okay, notice for me anyway, Jason in Norwood. Jason next on Nightside, Go right ahead, Hi.
Speaker 7: Dan, Hey Dan, I heard you.
Speaker 8: I'm well thanks. I heard you talking a week or two ago. You mentioned flying in the glory days, when it was bibilized and enjoyable. I used to love to fly. I had am that took me across the Atlantic frequently, and I was never a nervous flyer. I'm not really now. I did have a few exciting incidents over the years, but I'm less comfortable flying now. Not only has the fun gone out of it, of course, and the miserable experience in the airports, but I've lost all confidence in Boeing aircraft. And it's not the recent crashes that have cost me my caution. It's more what to me is a pretty apparent of the COVID shots on the pilots, pilots dropping dead in flight on the flight deck.
Speaker 2: Uh that kind of thing. Whoa whoa, whoa whoa. How often has that happened?
Speaker 7: Oh, it's happened, particularly after the shots were first out and the mandates were very strict. There were quite a number of those.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: I read the I read some belongings of populated by commercial flight pilots. I used to be a private pilot. I don't.
Speaker 2: I got to be honest with you, Jason, I'd never heard that or saw that. Obviously, out of any you know, population, on any given day, however, many some people will drop dead. But I've never and I'm please, don't, don't, miss don't. I'm not suggesting that you're not telling me what you've read, but I would assume that if there was a real spike in what you talked about, that we would have heard about it.
Speaker 8: I mean, well, the media dependent on the pharmaceutical companies the seventy or eighty percent of their revenue. It's not surprising that they don't cover it. What even alarmed me more, although.
Speaker 9: There's Jason, what alarmed me more on these commercial pilot blogs was the back channel discussions about pilots that were experiencing symptoms and concealing.
Speaker 8: Them because they didn't want to lose their jobs.
Speaker 2: I understand that, But what I'm saying is there's a variety of media out there, Jason, realistically, from the far left to the far right, and a lot of them are not relying upon pharmaceutical companies. First of all, most legitimate news papers and television and radio stations. If there really was a spate of pilots dropping dead in the captain seat, I think we would have heard about it. But that's okay.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, Well, if you're familiar with the company flight Aware, they do a monthly new summary, and there were about two years running where there were frequent coverage on the flight Aware monthly summary of pilots who died in flight on major airlines.
Speaker 8: It was happening. It's not happening so much.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what flight aware is also also his flight track or if I'm not mistaken, right, I'm looking at flight aware right now. That's a legitimate site, okay. And what they do is they track and they show you. Right now, I'm looking at all the different airports and all the planes that are flying in and out. You can zoom in. It's a great website.
Speaker 8: It's a very legitimate company. You can subscribe to their monthly email news summaries, and that's what if you're.
Speaker 2: Ken, do me a favorite if you can, and you can find right now. For example, they're currently and I'm not sure if this is worldwide or the U there are currently twelve five flights in the air right now.
Speaker 8: Now now, I'm not suggesting pilots were falling dead by the dozens, but they were certainly falling dead by more than the handfuls.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, favorite, if you go back and find any of those old stories, get them to me. Okay, I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Well, I will do that. I know how to get an email to you.
Speaker 5: I'll do that.
Speaker 8: I will say that. I'm also concerned about signs that, for whatever reason, the air traffic control system, including the pilots who are part of that system, seemed to be overtaxed. I'll tell you what troubled me the most of all was that incident about half the year ago in Austin, where the airport wasn't busy. The controller cleared an incoming FedEx flight to land on a particular runway that that plane was coming in on short final and then very shortly after that he cleared a Southwest aircraft to take that runway to departure. And what really shocks me is that the flight crew, who were listening to all the communications and were well aware that FedEx plane was barreling down onto their runway, they accepted the clearance and took the runway. Fortunately, the fed X.
Speaker 2: I'm not familiar with that one, Jason, so you know I just.
Speaker 8: As well.
Speaker 2: Jon, Jason, Jason, we've done six minutes. I got full lines. I gotta get.
Speaker 8: I'll let you know. I just want to summarize. I still fly, and about the only precaution I take is I'm careful to wear natural fiber clothing for the very unlikely event that I might be caught in the fire one time during a crash.
Speaker 2: Good suggestion, Thanks Jason, appreciate the call. Have a great night. Let me go to Ian and sand into and helped me out here and go right ahead.
Speaker 4: I Dan nice to speak with you. I'm with Eileen about the pollution. I am very I was never too concerned about science, but I am now hands down. Is this because of the recent events? Yeah, I think that maintenance is a problem. Parts and maintenance. The last time I flew Domestic, which was more than a year ago, it was such I was shocked at how old the plane was.
Speaker 2: Used. They could used a lot more now. I don't know how much time they get for rest and repair and maintenance. But boy, you're you're on a plane and you realize that the plate is flying from Boston to La and it's going back to Boston that afternoon. You know, it's like or whatever.
Speaker 4: It's Yeah, I have a remembrance. I have a remembrance for you. Do you remember there has anybody mentioned the World Airway flight that skinned off the runway in Boston in the middle of a snowstorm back in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, no one's mentioned that. But I remember being out at the end of that runway a night or two later, and there were two individuals who were flying who were up in the front of the plane. Didn't be there, father and son, the Metcalfs.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, And they.
Speaker 2: Were never found. That plane had left from San Francisco. I believe it landed in Newark. And I remember being at a I at a restaurant that afternoon. It was a it was a horrible weather day, and I said to someone that afternoon, I said, boy, I wouldn't want to be flying in an airplane tonight, and sure get it off the end of the runway. And they never found the Metcalfs that that plane ended.
Speaker 1: In those in the harbor harbor, I see.
Speaker 2: Harbor, And I remember being out there doing a live shot a night or so later. And I've never been in a situation where I was so cold that water was running out of my eyes. They just came down and yeah, so believe me, I remember that fly. I remember that pretey we breezy. Oh it was more than breezy.
Speaker 8: Just yeah.
Speaker 2: And I don't know that they I don't think they ever found There were rumors, but the Metcalfs were father's son and they were they believe they were on that plane. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wonder where they were seated up front.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was the first class or business class, but I think that they were. They were plane, so we'll see, you know, I don't know. I wish I had more information on it. But that's a that's a tough well, a tough memory for me.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, do you remember Locker in Boston?
Speaker 2: Were you in Boston?
Speaker 8: Yes, I was in Boston at that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I left a few years later, but yes, And I remember Marvelous Marvin Hackler was fighting. We were watching his fight.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, it's a good memory of Marvelous Marvin.
Speaker 3: Yeah ja, yeah, great guy.
Speaker 2: I know Marvin pretty well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I loved him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, great, great, great guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The date of that by the way, that was nineteen eighty two. I remembered it as being a little earlier. You said eighty four. Was it was January nineteen.
Speaker 4: Eighty Jo, Yeah, yeah, there was somewhere in the early eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got bosing passengers right here, the Metcalfs they were from. I believe love to know what happened, you know, if their family ever heard them. Seventy year old Walter Metcalf and his forty year old son Leo boarded the planet the last minute, and when not in the passenger manifest during the crash, they ended up in the water and with neither of them able to swim as presume they had driving. Police divers sented the scene, but the bodies of the pair never never found. All right, I've got to run here. Thanks, thanks so much. You later, all right, good night. I'd like to continue with this into the next hour. If not, we'll go somewhere else. Light the lines up back after this